Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The timing of the Coronation could be helpful to the Tories – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,737
edited April 2023 in General
imageThe timing of the Coronation could be helpful to the Tories – politicalbetting.com

A week today and there will just be a few hours to go before the polls close in this year’s local elections. The votes will in some places be counted on the night and in other places will be counted on the Friday.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,959
    I have a feeling Con may do rather better in these local elections than people expect...
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,269
    LAB national poll lead going below 10% soon?

I suspect LAB will be no further than 5% ahead of CON in the local elections on an adjusted national vote basis.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,818
    edited April 2023
    Nobody cares about the coronation.

I remember the VONC on Boris Johnson was triggered the day after the jubilee celebrations.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,176
    A good day to bury bad news, Diane Abbott?
  • Options

I remember the VONC on Boris Johnson was triggered the day after the jubilee celebrations.

How many people care about the election of local cllrs though?
  • Options
    Anyhoo, I'm cheering for Everton tonight because it would help Liverpool's champions league ambitions I worry about Everton's existence if they get relegated.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,940

I suspect LAB will be no further than 5% ahead of CON in the local elections on an adjusted national vote basis.

And SKS Fans will still refuse to explain!!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,593
    edited April 2023
    Sandpit said:

A good day to bury bad news, Diane Abbott?

Doesn’t she have to die first? Sure that’s the traditional order.
  • Options

My wife does. She will be watching, probably with some bubbly in hand.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,967
    FPT:

Starmer's lost AC Grayling.

@acgrayling
    Starmer is working hard to shed support - large majorities of Labour Party members & voters are proEU and proPR. But Starmer? Why isn't he in the Tory Party?
    We have to get a hung Parliament next year to get out of the relentless retrograde grip of the dinosaur parties.

https://twitter.com/acgrayling/status/1651588739221659649

Who'd have thought that A C Grayling posted on here as BJO, eh? Amazing.

@acgrayling
    Starmer is working hard to shed support - large majorities of Labour Party members & voters are proEU and proPR. But Starmer? Why isn't he in the Tory Party?
    We have to get a hung Parliament next year to get out of the relentless retrograde grip of the dinosaur parties.

Unfortunately for you I believe there will be several 000,000s of BJOs at GE2024.
    My only concern is to see the Tories out of office. Lab, LD, Greens or any coalition of these would suit me.

You on the other hand would probably rather see the corrupt, inept Tories continue in power.
  • Options
    This weeks YG

Does Starmer look like a Prime Minister-in-waiting?

✅ Does ~ 29% (-4)
    ❌ Does not ~ 51% (+6)

Worst rating for Starmer since August 2022.

Via
    @YouGov
    , 22-24 Apr (+/- vs 20 Mar)
  • Options

FPT:

@acgrayling

@acgrayling

Unfortunately for you I believe there will be several 000,000s of BJOs at GE2024.
    My only concern is to see the Tories out of office. Lab, LD, Greens or any coalition of these would suit me.

You on the other hand would probably rather see the corrupt, inept Tories continue in power.
    Always keep a hold of nurse,
    For fear of finding something worse.
  • Options
    From another PB.

There haven't been many tears shed in Whitehall over the resignation of Dominic Raab.

Not just because he was "an absolute shit" (as recently described by a former cabinet colleague) but because Raab was also notorious for submitting Freedom Of Information requests to whichever department he found himself placed in, to find out what his officials had been saying about him.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,892
    Oooh. DYOR and Caveat Emptor, but it’s more fun than talking about death

“I've heard second-hand reports that something is happening at the Uddingston love nest right now. Additionally, I've been told that Sturgeon has now been interviewed under caution and that charges (plural) are being prepared for Sturgeon, Murrell and Beattie.”

https://twitter.com/erudite4unity/status/1651637347459506181?s=61&t=GGp3Vs1t1kTWDiyA-odnZg

Actual charges against Sturgeon would be mind blowingly amusing
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,767
    DavidL said:

I've bought some coronation-themed paper cups.
  • Options
    edited April 2023

This weeks YG

✅ Does ~ 29% (-4)
    ❌ Does not ~ 51% (+6)

Via
    @YouGov

Often it can be hard for the people to envisage someone as PM until they actually get the job so this is one of those questions where the LOTO often lags but that is a pretty big gap opening up there...

Wonder how that compares with other LOTO's like Blair, Hague, Cameron, Miliband and Jezza at this stage of the electoral cycle?
  • Options

FPT:

@acgrayling

@acgrayling

Not going to happen with SKS at the helm

Q. Is Starmer doing well or badly?

✅ Well ~ 31% (-6)
    ❌ Badly ~ 49% (+7)

Lowest net approval for Starmer since August 2022.

Via
    @YouGov
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,967
    GIN1138 said:

I have a feeling Con may do rather better in these local elections than people expect...

Indeed, what with voter-surpression having been implemented.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,671
    edited April 2023

This weeks YG

✅ Does ~ 29% (-4)
    ❌ Does not ~ 51% (+6)

Via
    @YouGov

Does BJO look like a Tory voter in waiting?

Does - 99.9%
    Does not - 0.1%

Source: PB comments.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,757

DavidL said:

Politicians know that a third of the population is a lot. Especially if its on an issue they care and might vote about. About 22 million. That's the royalist/fairly royalist group. This is much larger than football fans, which is a group politicians always pretend to be part of, even though most people have no interest in football and despise the entire culture surrounding it.

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,892

FPT:

@acgrayling

@acgrayling

✅ Well ~ 31% (-6)
    ❌ Badly ~ 49% (+7)

Via
    @YouGov
    Those are big changes. What’s he done wrong? As far as I can see he’s done nothing at all but waffle a bit. Maybe that’s it. The more you see of him the less impressive he is, as I said a few days ago
  • Options
    Stupid Knob Starmer (SKS) can't even support something as basic as democracy, meaning he is ignoring his Labour Party members who have voted for proportional representation. This is quite extraordinary arrogance - but maybe that is all he has to offer.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,469

This weeks YG

✅ Does ~ 29% (-4)
    ❌ Does not ~ 51% (+6)

Via
    @YouGov

Genuinely surprised. He may be dull but seems perfectly competent and professional and experienced. Is "charisma" so important?
  • Options

This weeks YG

✅ Does ~ 29% (-4)
    ❌ Does not ~ 51% (+6)

Via
    @YouGov

Does - 99.9%
    Does not - 0.1%

I'm with the 0.1%

Source Ballot Paper I just posted
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Indeed, what with voter-surpression having been implemented.
    LOL SKS will have to find a better excuse than that,

When Turnout is even lower than normal he needs to look closer to home
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    This is what M&S in the sandpit looks like, with a week to go.

I’ll be watching at a party on board the QE2, assuming I don’t get stuck in Istanbul.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,024
    edited April 2023

Who are these SKS fans you keep summoning up? I’m certainly not a fan. I find him utterly dull. However, I could conceivably vote for a party led by him, whereas I’d never vote for a party led by Corbyn.
  • Options
    Reason number 7012 not to vote LAB

EW: Ed Miliband was asked if asylum seekers are putting "immense pressure" on public services.

His reply: "Yes, it's a problem and it's got to be dealt with"

All 7011 other reasons relate to SKS;s leadership
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,360
    Leon said:

Didn't do Eck any harm...
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,970

FPT:

@acgrayling

@acgrayling

✅ Well ~ 31% (-6)
    ❌ Badly ~ 49% (+7)

Via
    @YouGov
    Source?

Yesterday yougov published data from 18-19 April.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2023/04/26/voting-intention-con-28-lab-43-18-19-apr-2023

"When it comes to which party leader Britons think would make the best prime minister, Keir Starmer is favoured by 29% (+1 from 12-13 April) compared to Rishi Sunak's 26% (no change). Four in ten (41%) are unsure."
  • Options

Stupid Knob Starmer (SKS) can't even support something as basic as democracy, meaning he is ignoring his Labour Party members who have voted for proportional representation. This is quite extraordinary arrogance - but maybe that is all he has to offer.

I see SKS has lost AC Grayling as well. (A glance at the intro of his History of Philosophy will show you how narrow and reductive he is).

SKS stands a 20% chance of losing the next election. If he went around pleasing his critics this would rise to more like 60%. He faces a tough task, and it will get tougher.
  • Options

This weeks YG

✅ Does ~ 29% (-4)
    ❌ Does not ~ 51% (+6)

Via
    @YouGov

Does - 99.9%
    Does not - 0.1%

I would just say @bigjohnowls is only posting a poll which frankly is surprising and I am not sure why such a drop in his ratings especially as Raab has been headline news
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,897

Who are these SKS fans you keep summoning up? I’m certainly not a fan. I find him utterly dull. However, I could conceivably vote for a party led by him, whereas I’d never vote for a party led by Corbyn.
    Like Biden, Starmer is likely an underrated leader IMV, which I guess is what these numbers indicate. He has to get Labour elected first. They do have a comfortable double digit advantage over the Conservatives so Starmer does have some headroom.
  • Options

I could conceivably Sounds like you wont TBF

Which is the problem with his strategy of pissing off the left to get Tory Lite voters who could easily decide just to stick with what they know when the pen hovers over the box
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,546
    Leon said:

“I've heard second-hand reports that something is happening at the Uddingston love nest right now. Additionally, I've been told that Sturgeon has now been interviewed under caution and that charges (plural) are being prepared for Sturgeon, Murrell and Beattie.”

https://twitter.com/erudite4unity/status/1651637347459506181?s=61&t=GGp3Vs1t1kTWDiyA-odnZg

Why would her arrest have been secret (when the others were not)?
  • Options

This weeks YG

✅ Does ~ 29% (-4)
    ❌ Does not ~ 51% (+6)

Via
    @YouGov

Do you have a link to this poll?
  • Options

Reason number 7012 not to vote LAB

EW: Ed Miliband was asked if asylum seekers are putting "immense pressure" on public services.

His reply: "Yes, it's a problem and it's got to be dealt with"

All 7011 other reasons relate to SKS;s leadership

TBF, which isn't going to happen, Labour face an insoluble problem over the boats, as do the Tories.

Net migration into this country has been and remains very large. It isn't feasible even to think about finding a way of taking all those with refugee status potential (100s of millions). Boats get the media attention. Every single one is arriving from a safe country, to which we cannot return them. The facts are different in every case. The Guardian and BBC can find cases that match their agenda. So can the Mail and the Sun.

Sending Paddington Bear to Rwanda is thinkable for the right but not for the left. SKS needs Tories to vote for him.

Cooper and Miliband are doing their best. As to what they would do in government. Like them I have no idea.

• Options

Leon said:

Why would her arrest have been secret (when the others were not)?
    Interviewed under caution, as opposed to having being arrested.

Did she have the foresight to call the polis and make an appointment, rather than wait for them to knock on her door one morning? They’ve already emptied her house of anything they might find useful.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,541
    GIN1138 said:

Not if most people are thinking that.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,058
    GIN1138 said:

Yes, people vote differently in Local Elections. I think it will give the Tories false hope.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    SKS trying to shut up the every Dr A/C according to them

https://twitter.com/Sir_Chazza/status/1651341915634257923/photo/1

It has been deeply concerning for the EveryDoctor team to have been contacted by an MP’s office, who are unhappy with us including information about their receipt of a donation from a person with links to private healthcare. I am appalled to report that their office attempted to insinuate that the inclusion of this information on our map was somehow because of a personal dislike which our team has for this politician. They also insinuated that we should behave in a partisan manner, and show a preference to this politician and the party they represent by removing information about this donation.

EveryDoctor is a non-partisan organisation. We are solely interested in advocating for patients, NHS staff, and the future of the NHS.. I’m appalled to report that I’ve been warned that this MP may tweet their displeasure at their inclusion on our map

We have verified the facts pertaining to this MP’s donation, and it shall remain on the map.It is appalling to witness the aggressive behaviour of some politicians towards campaigners.We’re not been bullied into hiding

Wes Streeting ditto
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,950

This weeks YG

✅ Does ~ 29% (-4)
    ❌ Does not ~ 51% (+6)

Via
    @YouGov

It's certainly not on the data tables of the main YouGov poll for the Times which has Starmer just ahead of Sunak in the best Prime Minister stakes.
  • Options
    Leon said:

This is still talking about death. Political death. And the imminent death of vats of popcorn.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,653
    Just been busy ironing my Union Jack thongs.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,469
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Didn't do Eck any harm...
    Erm, yes it did. His reputation was completely trashed and any hopes of an afterglow respected elder statesman type existence incinerated. I think its fair to say he will not have taken this lightly as Nicola Sturgeon could probably attest.
  • Options
    stodge said:

This weeks YG

✅ Does ~ 29% (-4)
    ❌ Does not ~ 51% (+6)

Via
    @YouGov

It's certainly not on the data tables of the main YouGov poll for the Times which has Starmer just ahead of Sunak in the best Prime Minister stakes.
    https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/trackers/does-keir-starmer-look-like-a-prime-minister-in-waiting
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,869
    People don't know just how magical and special a Coronation is.

A very strong plurality will watch it, and polling numbers will go up significantly once it's happened, because it's very British and we're simply the best in the world at this sort of stuff.
  • Options

This weeks YG

✅ Does ~ 29% (-4)
    ❌ Does not ~ 51% (+6)

Via
    @YouGov

Does - 99.9%
    Does not - 0.1%

Starmer as PM polls far worse than Bregret.

Think about that for a moment.
  • Options
    Newcastle score...
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,749
    stodge said:

This weeks YG

✅ Does ~ 29% (-4)
    ❌ Does not ~ 51% (+6)

Via
    @YouGov

It's mentioned on Stats For Lefties, unsurprisingly.

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1651209524802654210
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Based on anything other than your intuition or hopecasting?

Deltapoll has the Labour lead at 13 - apart from Omnisis which had a 20-point lead, the current crop of polls has Labour ahead by 12-15 points. England polling has a 14% swing from December 2019.

The Conservatives and LDs are about where they were this time four years ago while Labour are much higher - you'd think Labour would make gains from those numbers.
  • Options

FPT:

@acgrayling

@acgrayling

✅ Well ~ 31% (-6)
    ❌ Badly ~ 49% (+7)

Via
    @YouGov
    Source?

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2023/04/26/voting-intention-con-28-lab-43-18-19-apr-2023

"When it comes to which party leader Britons think would make the best prime minister, Keir Starmer is favoured by 29% (+1 from 12-13 April) compared to Rishi Sunak's 26% (no change). Four in ten (41%) are unsure."
    https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/trackers/keir-starmer-approval-rating
  • Options
    Leon said:

FPT:

@acgrayling

@acgrayling

✅ Well ~ 31% (-6)
    ❌ Badly ~ 49% (+7)

Via
    @YouGov
    Those are big changes. What’s he done wrong? As far as I can see he’s done nothing at all but waffle a bit. Maybe that’s it. The more you see of him the less impressive he is, as I said a few days ago
    Because he leads Jack Shit, carps from the sidelines, copies the 1990s NuLab playbook by the letter, and otherwise just follows the mood of the general public - and people think he's insincere and a bit of a voicebox affected twat.

That's why.

Of course, if Labour do still lose with them they'll have something close to a nervous breakdown and have a full fledged internal war again.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,058
    kinabalu said:

GIN1138 said:

Not if most people are thinking that.
    We are due another oscillation in party support. Sunak has been on the rise for a while now. Trends reverse, sometimes triggered by news, sometimes for no apparent reason. But trends sometimes also Co tongue and accelerate.

Local elections are likely to be the inflection point. A decent showing by the government and it could be more progress for Sunak. And remember it’s only the early results that matter because they set the news agenda. If there’s a red shift later on after a disappointing early Labour showing that won’t matter because nobody will be watching.
  • Options

stodge said:

This weeks YG

✅ Does ~ 29% (-4)
    ❌ Does not ~ 51% (+6)

Via
    @YouGov

Ah they blocked me ages ago.
  • Options

stodge said:

This weeks YG

✅ Does ~ 29% (-4)
    ❌ Does not ~ 51% (+6)

Via
    @YouGov

I have posted the YG links for both this and the well badly see my recent posts
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,503
    The launch of an anti growth alliance, should trigger Liz Truss.

De growth London.

Levelling down in action.

What is fringe today will be mainstream tomorrow. How long before these ideas become mainstream. A decade ?

https://twitter.com/degrowthlondon/status/1651320569420304384?s=61&t=s0ae0IFncdLS1Dc7J0P_TQ
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,024

I could conceivably Sounds like you wont TBF

Which is the problem with his strategy of pissing off the left to get Tory Lite voters who could easily decide just to stick with what they know when the pen hovers over the box
    Will depend on the campaign, but I’ve just moved across London to Steven Timms’ constituency. I quite like him, so as things stand I’d be voting Labour.
  • Options

stodge said:

This weeks YG

✅ Does ~ 29% (-4)
    ❌ Does not ~ 51% (+6)

Via
    @YouGov

Ah they blocked me ages ago.
    I have posted the YG link
  • Options
    Man Utd 1 up at Spurs too.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,817
    Two for one cocktails. Order two more. Oh dear! I think I need my bed.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,813
    Taz said:

De growth London.

What is fringe today will be mainstream tomorrow. How long before these ideas become mainstream. A decade ?

https://twitter.com/degrowthlondon/status/1651320569420304384?s=61&t=s0ae0IFncdLS1Dc7J0P_TQ

I was asking myself the same questions at university nearly two decades ago. It struck me as an obvious conclusion of environmentalism - you start to question the need for growth.
    In some ways it is a bit like the campaign for nuclear disarmanent though, it is a noble idea but can't actually ever happen due to flaws in the human situation.
  • Options

Cocktails (especially two for one) are lethal because it's very hard to judge just how much alcohol you're having.

A couple of weeks ago I was almost legless by the time I rolled home lol 😂
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,817

A very strong plurality will watch it, and polling numbers will go up significantly once it's happened, because it's very British and we're simply the best in the world at this sort of stuff.

How can a plurality watch it? It is an either or. Watch it or not watch it. Majority watch or majority not watch. Plurality does not come into it.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,665

How can a plurality watch it? It is an either or. Watch it or not watch it. Majority watch or majority not watch. Plurality does not come into it.
    Watch highlights perhaps?
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,008

"One martini is alright, two is too many, three is not enough"...
  • Options

FPT:

@acgrayling

@acgrayling

✅ Well ~ 31% (-6)
    ❌ Badly ~ 49% (+7)

Via
    @YouGov
    Source?

Corbyn high point

16% Yes
    67% No

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/trackers/does-jeremy-corbyn-looks-like-a-prime-minister-in-waiting
    BJO please explain.
  • Options
    Future of the men's Hundred in jeopardy as ECB and counties consider sweeping changes

GEORGE DOBELL - EXCLUSIVE: Discussions about both the tournament's format and future are going to be encouraged while counties will be asked to consider altering the T20 Blast and the value of an FA Cup-style knockout involving the National Counties

https://twitter.com/TheCricketerMag/status/1651655086429315103
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,008

I'm sure I'm not entirely representative - but amongst friends and work colleagues across the spectrum literally no-one has mentioned the coronation. Not even in a 'yay - extra holiday!' way.
  • Options
    How bad does the Spurs defence have to be to concede a goal to Jordon Sancho?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,707

Leon said:

FPT:

@acgrayling

@acgrayling

✅ Well ~ 31% (-6)
    ❌ Badly ~ 49% (+7)

Via
    @YouGov
    Because he leads Jack Shit, carps from the sidelines, copies the 1990s NuLab playbook by the letter, and otherwise just follows the mood of the general public - and people think he's insincere and a bit of a voicebox affected twat.

That's why.

Of course, if Labour do still lose with them they'll have something close to a nervous breakdown and have a full fledged internal war again.
    SKS is an arch-establishment figure, squatting atop a political party. Parties go for these types because they believe that someone like SKS is the price that they need to pay to get into power. Same with Sunak. In actuality, the Davos policies quietly promulgated by such leaders have virtually no electoral support base and if explained to most people, would horrify them. They should get their own party and see how many people vote for them. I hear the name 'Change UK' might be free.
  • Options

FPT:

@acgrayling

@acgrayling

✅ Well ~ 31% (-6)
    ❌ Badly ~ 49% (+7)

Via
    @YouGov
    Source?

Corbyn high point

16% Yes
    67% No

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/trackers/does-jeremy-corbyn-looks-like-a-prime-minister-in-waiting
    BJO please explain.
    If the best SKS fans can do when their boy is Polling 29/51 is to post Whataboutery figures from 2019 then they still dont see what is ahead of them
  • Options

Leon said:

FPT:

@acgrayling

@acgrayling

✅ Well ~ 31% (-6)
    ❌ Badly ~ 49% (+7)

Via
    @YouGov

That's why.

Don't hold back - say what you really think.

I'll be honest - I don't know what to make of Starmer. I don't watch a lot of news programmes so I get very little sense of there being an opposition view on most things. I do find the Conservative Party more than capable of shooting itself repeatedly in the feet with both barrels with comments from the likes of Greg Hands and the antics of Lee Anderson in Parliament yesterday offering a boorish, arrogant approach from a party which looks to have been too long in Government.

Yet there seem some willing to give them another five years for reasons about which I'm far from clear.

I do agree we need to start seeing meat on the bones from both main parties - Sunak's plodding managerialism is an improvement on his two predecessors which wouldn't be difficult but aspects of what he does and how he does it strike me as more about being reactive than proactive.
  • Options

Future of the men's Hundred in jeopardy as ECB and counties consider sweeping changes

GEORGE DOBELL - EXCLUSIVE: Discussions about both the tournament's format and future are going to be encouraged while counties will be asked to consider altering the T20 Blast and the value of an FA Cup-style knockout involving the National Counties

Tom Harrison must be fuming.

So it's all good news.
  • Options

I agree, it is entirely possible that this is the only Coronation that I will ever see. At most I am likely to see 1 more. I am a bit sad someone thought it a good idea to cut back on the absurd clothes and presence of the Dukes. I would like to have seen the full show, not some cut price version.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,824

The Hundred would be greatly improved by getting rid of the awful graphics they use
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,159

FPT:

@acgrayling

@acgrayling

If a consortium of so-called left wing people conspire to keep this gaggle of incompetents and evildoers in power because of a lack of ideological purity in the official opposition, I will be quite cross. And yet unsurprised.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

The Hundred would be greatly improved by getting rid of the awful graphics they use
    And the concept of 100 balls instead of, say, 20 conventional overs.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,159
    DavidL said:

I agree, it is entirely possible that this is the only Coronation that I will ever see. At most I am likely to see 1 more. I am a bit sad someone thought it a good idea to cut back on the absurd clothes and presence of the Dukes. I would like to have seen the full show, not some cut price version.
    Having seen the film of the last one, I'll give this one a miss.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

It would be further improved if they played cricket rather than some nonsense dreamed up by a drunken marketing exec.
  • Options

The article is behind a paywall. What is the gist of the changes to the Hundred ?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,853

Leon said:

FPT:

@acgrayling

@acgrayling

✅ Well ~ 31% (-6)
    ❌ Badly ~ 49% (+7)

Via
    @YouGov

That's why.

SKS is an arch-establishment figure, squatting atop a political party. Parties go for these types because they believe that someone like SKS is the price that they need to pay to get into power. Same with Sunak. In actuality, the Davos policies quietly promulgated by such leaders have virtually no electoral support base and if explained to most people, would horrify them. They should get their own party and see how many people vote for them. I hear the name 'Change UK' might be free.
    If you told me that SKS was a Tory plant I wouldn't be entirely surprised. However that's just an indication that Labour have, in recent years, gone completely mad.

There's an odd space opening up on the left. A Corbyn gap.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

How bad does the Spurs defence have to be to concede a goal to Jordon Sancho?

You can always tell it’s getting towards the end of April, when Spurs start trying their hardest to fail to qualify for the Champions’ League.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    the counties will be invited to consider the value of altering the T20 Blast to a two-division tournament incorporating promotion and relegation and the value of an FA Cup-style knockout involving all 18-first-class counties and the National Counties.

This knockout is more likely to be played as a T20, though some prefer the idea of a 50-over competition. It is possible this knockout competition could replace the men's Hundred.

At the same time, if the Hundred survives, there will be discussion over changing the format to make it a 'conventional' T20 fixture featuring 120 deliveries per team. There is a resignation from the ECB that hopes that other nations would adopt the format are, at best, wishful thinking.

But it adds no changes are imminent, this is discussion only.

Equally, I don't think they would be 'discussing' it if they weren't very seriously considering changes.
    Taz said:

The article is behind a paywall. What is the gist of the changes to the Hundred ?
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,055
    edited April 2023

DavidL said:

My mother-in-law is getting coronation-themed matzos. That is, as they say, a thing.

I think I’ve posted before about the (often intense) royalism amongst much of the British Jewish community.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,055

Leon said:

FPT:

@acgrayling

@acgrayling

✅ Well ~ 31% (-6)
    ❌ Badly ~ 49% (+7)

Via
    @YouGov

That's why.

Christ, Change UK. That was a hell of a fever dream.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

FPT:

@acgrayling

@acgrayling

✅ Well ~ 31% (-6)
    ❌ Badly ~ 49% (+7)

Via
    @YouGov

That's why.

If you told me that SKS was a Tory plant I wouldn't be entirely surprised. However that's just an indication that Labour have, in recent years, gone completely mad.

And on the right - a return to real politics is overdue.
  • Options
    TimS said:

darkage said:

Taz said:

De growth London.

I was asking myself the same questions at university nearly two decades ago. It struck me as an obvious conclusion of environmentalism - you start to question the need for growth.
    In some ways it is a bit like the campaign for nuclear disarmanent though, it is a noble idea but can't actually ever happen due to flaws in the human situation.
    There are a few insoluble problems with degrowth, which nobody has worked out how to solve. Zero or negative growth means:

- increasing inequality as wealth accumulates more rapidly than incomes grow: just a mathematical fact, unless accompanied by massive redistribution
    - unemployment or underemployment, assuming technology continues to advance, or…
    - flat or declining productivity if technology stands still, in other words people taking longer and using more resources to do productive tasks
    - in an ageing population, ever less money available to governments to spend as the old age dependency ratio rises

In other words the dystopia of the late Soviet era.

Degrowth just doesn’t work on a societal level unless we are able happily to return to feudalism. So the only solution is technological clean growth.

Humans were meant to survive and thrive. We will do so whilst looking after our planet, because its health ensures our own. To believe otherwise is a disease.
  • Options
    edited April 2023

Simples, though not especially informative. More people (say 30%) will be watching the coronation than any other identifiable activity:

gardening 15%
    auction/shopping channel 5%
    shopping 12%
    staring at wall 3%
    DIY/cleaning car 8%
    pub 10%
    following PB 0.0001%
    playing or watching sport 4%
    reading 5%
    etc.
    edit: I forgot walking the dog. Most of the remainder.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

the counties will be invited to consider the value of altering the T20 Blast to a two-division tournament incorporating promotion and relegation and the value of an FA Cup-style knockout involving all 18-first-class counties and the National Counties.

This knockout is more likely to be played as a T20, though some prefer the idea of a 50-over competition. It is possible this knockout competition could replace the men's Hundred.

At the same time, if the Hundred survives, there will be discussion over changing the format to make it a 'conventional' T20 fixture featuring 120 deliveries per team. There is a resignation from the ECB that hopes that other nations would adopt the format are, at best, wishful thinking.

But it adds no changes are imminent, this is discussion only.

Equally, I don't think they would be 'discussing' it if they weren't very seriously considering changes.

Taz said:

Thanks. I agree with your conclusion too.

I wouldn’t mind a two division T20 league,
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Seeing some of it is almost inevitable, it doesn't really signify much, let alone cause a shift in votes. Not least because all parties, even SF will be represented.
  • Options

Omnium said:

Leon said:

FPT:

@acgrayling

@acgrayling

✅ Well ~ 31% (-6)
    ❌ Badly ~ 49% (+7)

Via
    @YouGov

That's why.

And on the right - a return to real politics is overdue.
    We had that last autumn. How did that go?
  • Options

FPT:

@acgrayling

@acgrayling

✅ Well ~ 31% (-6)
    ❌ Badly ~ 49% (+7)

Via
    @YouGov
    Source?

Corbyn high point

16% Yes
    67% No

BJO please explain.
    If the best SKS fans can do when their boy is Polling 29/51 is to post Whataboutery figures from 2019 then they still dont see what is ahead of them
    YOU are the one who keeps going on "But, Corbyn!"!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Seeing some of it is almost inevitable, it doesn't really signify much, let alone cause a shift in votes. Not least because all parties, even SF will be represented.
    Fair play to Michelle O'Neill.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

Horrible. Like a third rate computer game.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

FPT:

@acgrayling

@acgrayling

✅ Well ~ 31% (-6)
    ❌ Badly ~ 49% (+7)

Via
    @YouGov

That's why.

Christ, Change UK. That was a hell of a fever dream.
    And lasted all of five minutes or so!
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,970
    Sandpit said:

This is what M&S in the sandpit looks like, with a week to go.

I’ll be watching at a party on board the QE2, assuming I don’t get stuck in Istanbul.

Surprised there is an M&S clothes demographic out in Dubai. Hardly one left in the UK!
This discussion has been closed.