Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What sort of immigration policy is producing this nonsense? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,332
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

One for @Leon to tick off - or has he already been ?

"The Gates of Hell" in Turkmenistan is a 230 feet wide hole that's been burning since 1971 after a Soviet drilling accident.
    https://twitter.com/fasc1nate/status/1651011113260032000

Never got to see that. But I did get to see the largest hand-woven carpet in the world there.
    Why would they put the world's largest hand woven carpet over a large gas fire?
    They've tried everything else, short of nukes.
    (Which would not be sensible.)
    And that's stopped post-Soviet governments when, exactly?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

"NHS trusts ordered to hold down staffing levels to balance the books - prompting fears health service is getting back into "Mid Staffs territory" "

hsj.co.uk/finance-and-ef…

https://twitter.com/HMAnderson39/status/1650851868170686465?t=LSye9uHkd5zog2aUdw7p9A&s=19

We'll only be getting into mid-Staffs territory (under Labour, remember...) if we start ignoring when the NHS fails patients, and indeed start denigrating and smearing people who attempt to point it out.

There were two problems at Stafford: it was being terribly run, and there were attempts to cover-up the failures. One was a local issue; the other national.

(For non-regular readers; a member of my family was mistreated at Stafford hospital by callous staff.)
    Cannock Chase saw the highest swing against Labour in 2010 and a further exceptional swing in 2015.

The first was due to Mid Staffs and Burnham’s blundering attempts to deal with it.

The second was due to Janos Toth’s literally insane decision to campaign on ‘Save the NHS,’ which was an absolute gift to his opponents and cost him a seat that before the election, national swing or no, looked an easy gain.
    I hate to disagree with such an established poster but as the manager for the successful Cannock Chase campaign in 2010, I can categorically state that the Mid Staffs debacle was only a minor factor in that campaign. This was mainly due to secondary healthcare being split between Stafford and Wolverhampton. A much bigger healthcare issue were the plans to close/significantly downgrade Cannock Hospital which, although part of Mid Staffs, stayed mainly clear of the controversy there.

It could be argued that the pivotal moment in the 2010 campaign came when the Labour candidate decided to stand again for her County Council seat in the 2009 elections. If I recall, she went from 1st place to 5th and never really recovered.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,321
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

So to be clear this story is that we employed the Nepalese to work at our embassy etc. in Afghanistan. Having done that they were at risk when Afghanistan collapsed so we got them out to safety but at no stage did we promise them that they could live in the UK as a reward for their service.

I totally get that we could and arguably should have made different choices but the argument that anyone who works for us anywhere in the world is entitled to come and live here (presumably with their families) if things go sideways is surely irrational. If we apply that criteria we will simply stop employing such people.

There is a stronger case to be made for Afghans who worked for us on the basis that they cannot go home but people from a third country who can? I am not seeing it as a principle although there are always hard cases when you look at the individuals.

It’s almost as if the newspaper publishing this piece, doesn’t have a long record of very carefully writing articles on this subject, and omitting key details, so as to completely change the actual situation one might assume from reading their story.
    The other way of considering it is that were the media to wait until they had full information before publishing, many of these stories would not get reported at all.
    Which would be very convenient for the Bravermans in government.
    Nah, the Guardian has a very long record of totally misleading immigration stories, written extremely carefully so that there’s nothing factually incorrect, but often by omission completely changing the meaning of the actual events, as a lay person might understand them.
    Cites ?
    I'm sure there are examples, but a quick google tend to turn up stories about dishonest articles by the Mail, and stuff like this.

Statistics watchdog rebukes Sunak over inaccurate asylum backlog figures
    Head of UK Statistics Authority says outstanding cases had risen, not halved as PM had claimed
    https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/apr/05/statistics-watchdog-rebukes-rishi-sunak-inaccurate-asylum-backlog-figures
    There was one discussed on here last week, about a German band who were refused admission at Calais.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/apr/10/german-punk-band-humiliated-after-being-refused-uk-entry-due-to-post-brexit-rules

You have to read the story really, *really* carefully, to understand that they turned up at the border with no immigration paperwork at all, when they were arriving for a series of paid concerts at licenced venues.

We can all argue about what immigration paperwork *should* be required of a touring band, but the story is IMHO deliberately written to be as misleading as possible.
    If you read the story even more carefully, they did have paperwork but for a different scheme: PPE rather than COS. (Is PPE the most overloaded acronym?)
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,761
    edited April 2023

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

So to be clear this story is that we employed the Nepalese to work at our embassy etc. in Afghanistan. Having done that they were at risk when Afghanistan collapsed so we got them out to safety but at no stage did we promise them that they could live in the UK as a reward for their service.

I totally get that we could and arguably should have made different choices but the argument that anyone who works for us anywhere in the world is entitled to come and live here (presumably with their families) if things go sideways is surely irrational. If we apply that criteria we will simply stop employing such people.

There is a stronger case to be made for Afghans who worked for us on the basis that they cannot go home but people from a third country who can? I am not seeing it as a principle although there are always hard cases when you look at the individuals.

It’s almost as if the newspaper publishing this piece, doesn’t have a long record of very carefully writing articles on this subject, and omitting key details, so as to completely change the actual situation one might assume from reading their story.
    The other way of considering it is that were the media to wait until they had full information before publishing, many of these stories would not get reported at all.
    Nah, the Guardian has a very long record of totally misleading immigration stories, written extremely carefully so that there’s nothing factually incorrect, but often by omission completely changing the meaning of the actual events, as a lay person might understand them.
    Cites ?
    I'm sure there are examples, but a quick google tend to turn up stories about dishonest articles by the Mail, and stuff like this.

Head of UK Statistics Authority says outstanding cases had risen, not halved as PM had claimed
    https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/apr/05/statistics-watchdog-rebukes-rishi-sunak-inaccurate-asylum-backlog-figures
    There was one discussed on here last week, about a German band who were refused admission at Calais.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/apr/10/german-punk-band-humiliated-after-being-refused-uk-entry-due-to-post-brexit-rules

You have to read the story really, *really* carefully, to understand that they turned up at the border with no immigration paperwork at all, when they were arriving for a series of paid concerts at licenced venues.

We can all argue about what immigration paperwork *should* be required of a touring band, but the story is IMHO deliberately written to be as misleading as possible.
    If you read the story even more carefully, they did have paperwork but for a different scheme: PPE rather than COS. (Is PPE the most overloaded acronym?)
    From the article:
    Smith, who has been in touch with the band, said they did not have the COS certificates. Instead, they planned to enter the UK under the “permitted paid engagement” (PPE) exemption, which is free.

“This allows musicians to spend up to one month touring the UK if they are invited and paid by a UK-based organisation or client. Artists must be able to show a formal invitation to attend a pre-arranged event and prove they can support themselves during the trip and can pay for their return journey.

“A COS is an alternative route into the UK, regarded as “a safer bet” but with more onerous paperwork, said Smith. It involves a promoter sponsoring the band and checking their eligibility and vouching for them during their stay in the UK, from a few days to up to 90 days.

It says what visa exemption they intended to use, and what the requirements are for that visa exemption, but it doesn’t say that the band turned up at the border with those requirements met.

Because if they’re turned up at the border with the requirements met, they wouldn’t have been turned away, would they?

My best guess would be that the band’s management just saw ‘free’, but missed the requirements for a formal invite letter from the venue, proof of funds, and a return ticket.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

"NHS trusts ordered to hold down staffing levels to balance the books - prompting fears health service is getting back into "Mid Staffs territory" "

https://twitter.com/HMAnderson39/status/1650851868170686465?t=LSye9uHkd5zog2aUdw7p9A&s=19

We'll only be getting into mid-Staffs territory (under Labour, remember...) if we start ignoring when the NHS fails patients, and indeed start denigrating and smearing people who attempt to point it out.

There were two problems at Stafford: it was being terribly run, and there were attempts to cover-up the failures. One was a local issue; the other national.

(For non-regular readers; a member of my family was mistreated at Stafford hospital by callous staff.)
    Cannock Chase saw the highest swing against Labour in 2010 and a further exceptional swing in 2015.

The first was due to Mid Staffs and Burnham’s blundering attempts to deal with it.

The second was due to Janos Toth’s literally insane decision to campaign on ‘Save the NHS,’ which was an absolute gift to his opponents and cost him a seat that before the election, national swing or no, looked an easy gain.
    I hate to disagree with such an established poster but as the manager for the successful Cannock Chase campaign in 2010, I can categorically state that the Mid Staffs debacle was only a minor factor in that campaign. This was mainly due to secondary healthcare being split between Stafford and Wolverhampton. A much bigger healthcare issue were the plans to close/significantly downgrade Cannock Hospital which, although part of Mid Staffs, stayed mainly clear of the controversy there.

It could be argued that the pivotal moment in the 2010 campaign came when the Labour candidate decided to stand again for her County Council seat in the 2009 elections. If I recall, she went from 1st place to 5th and never really recovered.
    To be fair, I didn't live here in 2010. I was told there was a lot of anger about it, and I've repeated what I was told. You say different and I'm willing to take your word for it.

I stand by what I said about 2015. That was a definite shoot yourself in both feet and I was staggered by how stupid an idea it was.

There is a certain irony about the issues around Cannock Hospital which has of course now been downgraded...
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Cites ?

From the article:
    Smith, who has been in touch with the band, said they did not have the COS certificates. Instead, they planned to enter the UK under the “permitted paid engagement” (PPE) exemption, which is free.

“This allows musicians to spend up to one month touring the UK if they are invited and paid by a UK-based organisation or client. Artists must be able to show a formal invitation to attend a pre-arranged event and prove they can support themselves during the trip and can pay for their return journey.

“A COS is an alternative route into the UK, regarded as “a safer bet” but with more onerous paperwork, said Smith. It involves a promoter sponsoring the band and checking their eligibility and vouching for them during their stay in the UK, from a few days to up to 90 days.

It says what visa they intended to use, and what the requirements are for that visa, but it doesn’t say that the band turned up at the border with those requirements met.

Because if they’re turned up at the border with the requirements met, they wouldn’t have been turned away, would they?
    That strikes me as an optimistic view of the U.K. border force.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,216
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Cites ?

Was it misleading - or just a different take to that from your favoured media ?
    Again, it's a story the government would prefer doesn't get much airing; they'd rather we didn't argue about the paperwork introduced by them post Brexit at all.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,979
    If we are to believe the defenders here, the arrangement with the 100s of Nepali guards who just happened to all just turn up in Kabul and be available for diplomatic protection
    was a very casualised arrangement that
    happened almost by accident, like getting a particular Uber driver. This was not at all an arrangement with a UK allied PMC where near Gurkha types were actively imported into a war zone to protection for UK interests.

I guess all those girls turned up.on Epstein island entirely by happenstance as well?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

One for @Leon to tick off - or has he already been ?

"The Gates of Hell" in Turkmenistan is a 230 feet wide hole that's been burning since 1971 after a Soviet drilling accident.
    https://twitter.com/fasc1nate/status/1651011113260032000

Never got to see that. But I did get to see the largest hand-woven carpet in the world there.
    Why would they put the world's largest hand woven carpet over a large gas fire?
    They've tried everything else, short of nukes.
    (Which would not be sensible.)
    And that's stopped post-Soviet governments when, exactly?
    Turkmenistan doesn't have nukes, though.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,360
    Nigelb said:

Again, it's a story the government would prefer doesn't get much airing; they'd rather we didn't argue about the paperwork introduced by them post Brexit at all.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Cites ?

I think it started from the conclusion “Band turned away, because Brexit Bad”, and then fitted some of the facts in afterwards, omitting those that didn’t suit.

We all have our biases, of course we do, and whether or not the paperwork is appropriate is a different argument, but “band turned away because they didn’t have the paperwork required” isn’t really much of a story.
  • Options
    StaffordKnotStaffordKnot Posts: 94
    edited April 2023
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

To be fair, I didn't live here in 2010. I was told there was a lot of anger about it, and I've repeated what I was told. You say different and I'm willing to take your word for it.

I stand by what I said about 2015. That was a definite shoot yourself in both feet and I was staggered by how stupid an idea it was.

There is a certain irony about the issues around Cannock Hospital which has of course now been downgraded...
    I had moved away by the 2015 campaign but agree with your comment. I know there was much delight in Conservative circles when Labour selected their 2015 candidate and the fact that he shot himself in both feet was very much in character.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,365
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Cites ?

I've read the article and can't find the bit where it said they turned up with no paperwork at all.

The band themselves said:

"We are so sorry...our preparations concerning every detail of the tour were extremely good we thought. All the custom shit together and had our letters of invitation at hand. "

and:

"Hey Guys, we're back from Calais 🙁 actually we thought we could start our Trigger Cut Tour yesterday, but the UK Border Police taught us otherwise. We had all the papers we needed but the Border Police wanted them have a so-called certificate of sponsorship from all 7 clubs. This certificate or number was unknown even to the organizers. Nobody knew about it!!"

What do you think in the article is misleading?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 16,101
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Cites ?

I think it started from the conclusion “Band turned away, because Brexit Bad”, and then fitted some of the facts in afterwards, omitting those that didn’t suit.

We all have our biases, of course we do, and whether or not the paperwork is appropriate is a different argument, but “band turned away because they didn’t have the paperwork required” isn’t really much of a story.
    Apart from accurately describing what happened what is your issue with this article you think is an example of a newspaper with a "very long record of totally misleading immigration stories, written extremely carefully so that there’s nothing factually incorrect, but often by omission completely changing the meaning of the actual events, as a lay person might understand them."?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Cites ?

Point is that you object to these stories being reported by the Guardian - but they go largely unreported by the Telegraph, Mail, Express etc.

For example the most recent Express story I found was this, from a year ago:
    https://www.express.co.uk/celebrity-news/1642824/elton-john-tour-dates-live-concert-brexit-eu-appg-dover-children-young-songs-latest-news/amp

Ask any musician who tours whether it's a story or not.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

So you helped Aiden Burley get elected?

Suddenly I don’t feel so bad in helping Andrea Jenkyns get elected 😁
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Cites ?

From the article:

It says what visa exemption they intended to use, and what the requirements are for that visa exemption, but it doesn’t say that the band turned up at the border with those requirements met.

My best guess would be that the band’s management just saw ‘free’, but missed the requirements for a formal invite letter from the venue, proof of funds, and a return ticket.
    According to the band's own account, they did have (the wrong) paperwork. Note they also claim German authorities were unaware of British rules.

Dear friends, bad news for all people who await Trigger Cut in the United Kingdom. Today we got refused at the UK border for weird reasons. We would have needed a special certificate of sponsorship but noone knew before, not even the venues, promoters or the german customs authority. Brexit bureaucracye??? a post Brexit nightmare.😢😢😢
    We are so sorry...our preparations concerning every detail of the tour were extremely good we thought. All the custom shit together and had our letters of invitation at hand. Last but not least the whole procedure at UK border was humuliating and sad. We are so so sorry but we cannot make the UK Tour happen. Brexit finally killed the cultural interaction between all of us. It was a sad experience. Take care. Hopefully see you soon. Trigger Cut

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=987352065561832&id=100028611441026

ETA so the Guardian is exonerated.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Cites ?

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Cites ?

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Cites ?

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Cites ?

There's a big difference between a "totally misleading" story, and a story that you think "isn't really much of a story" - which all news outlets are surely full of. What important facts did the Guardian omit in the Trigger Cut story?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686
    Watched the Diplomat yesterday on Netflix. The first few episodes don't grab me, my wife, who has served in the Swiss diplomatic service in the Swiss Embassy for the UK was extremely unimpressed. I honestly thought her eyes would roll out of her head at one point. I did suggest that the UK/US relationship would probably have a different structure to the UK/Swiss one but her points were more that ambassadors to London are more likely to be hosting garden parties than contributing to UK foreign policy. It would be the State department in the US and foreign office here that would be in the room.
  • Options
    edited April 2023

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Cites ?

From the article:

According to the band's own account, they did have (the wrong) paperwork. Note they also claim German authorities were unaware of British rules.

Dear friends, bad news for all people who await Trigger Cut in the United Kingdom. Today we got refused at the UK border for weird reasons. We would have needed a special certificate of sponsorship but noone knew before, not even the venues, promoters or the german customs authority. Brexit bureaucracye??? a post Brexit nightmare.😢😢😢
    We are so sorry...our preparations concerning every detail of the tour were extremely good we thought. All the custom shit together and had our letters of invitation at hand. Last but not least the whole procedure at UK border was humuliating and sad. We are so so sorry but we cannot make the UK Tour happen. Brexit finally killed the cultural interaction between all of us. It was a sad experience. Take care. Hopefully see you soon. Trigger Cut

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=987352065561832&id=100028611441026

The bit in bold, doesn’t appear in the Guardian article at all. Which is the actual reason they were not admitted. It was removed from the band’s quote which otherwise did appear in the article.

As it happens, my personal view is that stuff like touring bands and sports teams with equipment are a real pain in the arse. It should be top of the list for the next UK/EU summit. It’s much worse for smaller bands and orchestras, who don’t have professional management and rely on volunteers.
  • Options
    FlannerFlanner Posts: 418
    MaxPB said:

Watched the Diplomat yesterday on Netflix. The first few episodes don't grab me, my wife, who has served in the Swiss diplomatic service in the Swiss Embassy for the UK was extremely unimpressed.

It's a drama, not a documentary.

Is "Hamlet" crap because it doesn't accurately portray political governance in medieval Denmark?

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,846
    MaxPB said:

Watched the Diplomat yesterday on Netflix. The first few episodes don't grab me, my wife, who has served in the Swiss diplomatic service in the Swiss Embassy for the UK was extremely unimpressed. I honestly thought her eyes would roll out of her head at one point. I did suggest that the UK/US relationship would probably have a different structure to the UK/Swiss one but her points were more that ambassadors to London are more likely to be hosting garden parties than contributing to UK foreign policy. It would be the State department in the US and foreign office here that would be in the room.

NO SPOILERS PLEASE

But.

Having watched the first few episodes isn't the point that they are grooming her for (at least) VP so are intentionally involving her over and above what would usually be the case for an ambassador.

Plus where is the Chevening they are using?
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,998
    IIRC when this arson attack happened, a number of people on here were of the opinion that we should wait & see if it was categorised as a hate crime & that doing so before officialdom did was premature so I’m just dropping this link to let you all know that, yes, it was a hate crime according to the MET:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/london-fire-brigade-police-transphobia-lgbtq-whitechapel-flat-arson-b1075478.html?itm_source=Internal&itm_channel=article_banner&itm_campaign=breaking-news-ticker&itm_content=2

Meanwhile the steady drumbeat of anti trans culture war articles in the press continue, so I sadly expect we’ll see more of this kind of stochastic terrorism in the next year or so at least, with those responsible for spreading hate absolutely refusing to recognise any connection between their words & these actions. Isn’t deniability great?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,060
    60% of Republican voters without a degree see Trump as their best hope of beating Biden. Only 40% of Republicans with college degrees agree

https://twitter.com/MorningConsult/status/1651137056645545985?s=20
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Cites ?

From the article:

The bit in bold, doesn’t appear in the Guardian article at all. Which is the actual reason they were not admitted. It was removed from the band’s quote which otherwise did appear in the article.

As it happens, my personal view is that stuff like touring bands and sports teams with equipment are a real pain in the arse. It should be top of the list for the next UK/EU summit. It’s much worse for smaller bands and orchestras, who don’t have professional management and rely on volunteers.
    But this is exactly what the Guardian article says - they were hoping to enter under the “permitted paid engagement” exemption which doesn't require Certificates of Sponsorship, and at the border they were told they need COSs, which obviously nobody had told them about. Still totally mystified as to what you think is even slightly misleading in this article.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,101
    edited April 2023
    Last night the MP for Ross, Skye and Lochaber insisted it was neither his responsibility as [SNP] leader to tell his successor, nor the Commons' authorities, that the party's auditors had quit.

He said the question was "insulting" when asked why he had not told the Commons finance staff. He said it would have been up to Peter Grant, the party's treasurer at Westminster to do so.

"I think your question is awful and let's leave it at that," he said….

"I didn't pass that information on because that wouldn't be my responsibility to do so. There is a leadership team and they have dedicated responsibility. Your question is insulting quite frankly. How dare you. How dare you."

https://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/23480703.snp-not-tell-commons-finance-team-auditorss-exit-months/
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Having watched the first two episodes, it feels like an attempt to recreate the drama of the West Wing in a modern context, combined with all the usual Netflix standard script requirements regarding ethnicity of the actors, having at least one muscular six pack on display at some point, etc etc. When you can tick off those management mandated requirements as they pop up on screen, it does kind of kill the immersion.

Read as a completely artificial stage play about a marriage between a devious political operator and his career minded wife, it was quite fun, even if the actual events depicted are completely ludicrous & disconnected from the reality of international relations between UK/US & the role of the diplomat themselves.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Cites ?

From the article:

But it was explained at length in the Guardian article. The band was relying on the PPE scheme rather than COS (certificates of sponsorship) which is termed "the safer bet".

I'd agree simpler arrangements should be put in place for these sorts of cultural events, and also school trips.
  • Options
    Flanner said:

MaxPB said:

Watched the Diplomat yesterday on Netflix. The first few episodes don't grab me, my wife, who has served in the Swiss diplomatic service in the Swiss Embassy for the UK was extremely unimpressed.

Is "Hamlet" crap because it doesn't accurately portray political governance in medieval Denmark?

I think we can only fully judge the absurdity of the plotting after the second series has come out, given what's left unresolved.
    Understanding that it's a fictional universe doesn't preclude noting the failures of logic in the drama.
  • Options
    kamski said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Cites ?

From the article:

But this is exactly what the Guardian article says - they were hoping to enter under the “permitted paid engagement” exemption which doesn't require Certificates of Sponsorship, and at the border they were told they need COSs, which obviously nobody had told them about. Still totally mystified as to what you think is even slightly misleading in this article.
    Quibbling over details in a particular story is a bit beside the point.

As I noted upthread, these stories go largely unreported in the right of centre media. I'd be more impressed by the quibbling if anyone else were doing it better.
  • Options
    Good Law Project chief Jolyon Maugham, in his new fundraising pamphlet disguised as a memoir,

https://unherd.com/2023/04/is-jolyon-maugham-the-new-alan-partridge/
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

NO SPOILERS PLEASE

But.

Having watched the first few episodes isn't the point that they are grooming her for (at least) VP so are intentionally involving her over and above what would usually be the case for an ambassador.

Plus where is the Chevening they are using?
    Isn’t that the actual Foreign & Commonwealth office in London (or a very good CGI / mockup thereof)? The staircase matches.

The house being used as a stand-in for Winfield is Wrotham Park apparently.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kamski said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Cites ?

From the article:

Quibbling over details in a particular story is a bit beside the point.

As I noted upthread, these stories go largely unreported in the right of centre media. I'd be more impressed by the quibbling if anyone else were doing it better.
    I just think there must be better examples of the Guardian publishing "totally misleading immigration stories", because this particular story isn't misleading, and also isn't about immigration.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,157
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Cites ?

From the article:

Sorry but this is a terrible take, they showed up with their passports and they're clearly touring not coming here to live permanently.
    The requirement for the cos is a nonsense
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Offtopic, a totally fascinating piece about Fox News, with alums Glenn Beck, Bill O’Reilly and Megyn Kelly, discussing the departure of Tucker Carlson and the future of the channel

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Jm4La0nqiG4

First quote of note:
    O’Reilly: Trump would not have been president without the Fox News channel
    Beck: Agreed
    O’Reilly: And now that’s gone. He doesn’t have that advantage for the upcoming election. That’s the big story here.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,562
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Cites ?

From the article:

Sorry but this is a terrible take, they showed up with their passports and they're clearly touring not coming here to live permanently.
    Using judgement like that would against the entire philosophy of government. Making an ever thicker rule book that attempts to proscribe every possible outcome Is The Way.

When I pointed out to a senior civil servant that this is provably impossible - humans are non-linear - the response was entertaining. It was as if I had denied The True Faith.
  • Options
    Yesterday, Stephen Flynn gave a speech at the Institute for Government, demanding the devolution of more powers over energy. Asked to explain exactly what he was proposing, he identified “the ability to licence”… something which is already devolved. 🤯

https://twitter.com/staylorish/status/1651132266876116994?s=20
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Cites ?

From the article:

I agree about the COS, but the process is reciprocal. I’d be all in favour of scrapping requirements for most cultural and sporting exchanges.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

So you helped Aiden Burley get elected?

Suddenly I don’t feel so bad in helping Andrea Jenkyns get elected 😁
    The full story of those 'exciting' couple of weeks will probably never be told - at least not by me. Had it been told at the time, opinions of Aidan may be slightly more positive and those of the Mail on Sunday even more negative.
  • Options
    Not proven verdict to be scrapped in Scottish courts
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-65397235
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Sandpit said:

Offtopic, a totally fascinating piece about Fox News, with alums Glenn Beck, Bill O’Reilly and Megyn Kelly, discussing the departure of Tucker Carlson and the future of the channel

First quote of note:
    O’Reilly: And now that’s gone. He doesn’t have that advantage for the upcoming election. That’s the big story here.

This is rather more interesting. Or rather, accurate.
    https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/04/24/tucker-carlson-departure-fox-news-00093559
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Cites ?

From the article:

I agree about the COS, but the process is reciprocal. I’d be all in favour of scrapping requirements for most cultural and sporting exchanges.
    Again, we were offered a reciprocal deal during the Brexit negotiations & the Johnson government turned the offer down, because they were an incompetent bunch of clowns who were more interested in headlines than they were in getting the best possible deal for the UK: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/uk-visa-free-work-musicians-eu-brexit-b1784600.html
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,132
    edited April 2023
    Flanner said:

MaxPB said:

Are drama, novels or news coverage ever convincingly accurate when dealing with anything you really know quite a lot about?

That odd feeling when national news covers stories in your local area...

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,691
    MaxPB said:

I think that point was made more than once with the London ambassadorship described as a ‘Tiffany’ posting, while tousle maned serious person Kate bucked the norm like a good maverick should.
  • Options
    Paging Nick Palmer

• Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,428
    Phil said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Cites ?

From the article:

Again, we were offered a reciprocal deal during the Brexit negotiations & the Johnson government turned the offer down, because they were an incompetent bunch of clowns who were more interested in headlines than they were in getting the best possible deal for the UK: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/uk-visa-free-work-musicians-eu-brexit-b1784600.html
    From that article, it appears the EU offered a standard reciprocal 90 day system, and the UK said "can we have that, but 30 days instead" and the EU said no.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,398
    Nigelb said:

I am unsure if this is a good thing or not.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,893
    Flanner said:

MaxPB said:

Yes and don't get me started on the whole 'Hollow Crown' cycle...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

60% of Republican voters without a degree see Trump as their best hope of beating Biden. Only 40% of Republicans with college degrees agree

https://twitter.com/MorningConsult/status/1651137056645545985?s=20

All the latest polls show Biden doing worse against Trump than against DeSantis:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/president-general/2024/national/
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    carnforth said:

Phil said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Cites ?

From the article:

From that article, it appears the EU offered a standard reciprocal 90 day system, and the UK said "can we have that, but 30 days instead" and the EU said no.
    Oh, but surely you can't be doubting "an EU source close to the negotiations"? I know the negotiations are in the past, but have you forgotten that the EU's position was Holy Writ?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

It's interesting to see the SNP bringing Scotland more in line with England.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Phil said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Cites ?

From the article:

UK insisting on special treatment from the EU & then acting all surprised when we don’t get it is kind of the story of the Brexit negotiations isn’t it?

(Also, it turns out our 30-day offer isn’t as generous as it seems, since it seems to be the actual PPE 30-day visa for professional artists & sportspeople which has been at the centre of this particular controversy that the Government expected to get a reciprical deal for. If an actual touring band from Germany, coming here to do nothing but play music in well known music venues & not to do anything else cannot enter under this 30-day scheme, then perhaps it wasn’t that generous in the first place?)
  • Options
    Driver said:

Nigelb said:

Once we have as much raw sewage in our rivers as England, the Indy dream will be over.
  • Options
    @gallardo_ortega
    The EU has issued private warnings to the UK government against any attempt to bypass decisions by the European Court of Human Rights in order to offshore asylum seekers to Rwanda.

https://twitter.com/gallardo_ortega/status/1651148090173272070
  • Options
    edited April 2023

Flanner said:

MaxPB said:

Yes and don't get me started on the whole 'Hollow Crown' cycle...
    Disgracefully The Return of the King got planning regulations in Minas Tirith completely wrong.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Driver said:

carnforth said:

Phil said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Cites ?

From the article:

Oh, but surely you can't be doubting "an EU source close to the negotiations"? I know the negotiations are in the past, but have you forgotten that the EU's position was Holy Writ?
    How about the man himself, David Frost: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-musicians-tours-david-frost-b2037382.html

Is that a good enough source for you?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Not yet proven?
  • Options

Driver said:

Nigelb said:

Once we have as much raw sewage in our rivers as England, the Indy dream will be over.
    Not going to happen because population differences... Rather hard to find much sewage in the Highlands...

On a serious point, how has the government allowed the narrative to form that water companies have only just started putting sewage into rivers? The situation today is vastly improved on 20, 30 years ago. There is much more to be done, but the current situation is being amplified because events are being recorded.
  • Options

Driver said:

Nigelb said:

I think the raw sewage in Scotland is motly in Gordon Lamb House.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

First quote of note:

This is rather more interesting. Or rather, accurate.
    https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/04/24/tucker-carlson-departure-fox-news-00093559
    That’s a good piece, and reflects how Ailes and Murdoch wanted to do things a decade or two ago.

The big takeaway from the linked video, is that all three former Fox hosts now have a much bigger reach and are earning more money, having left the network. Media is changing, and moving online. Carlson has the potential to be #2 to Joe Rogan in the podcast world, or to set up his own media empire, as the likes of Beck and Ben Shapiro have done in the US.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,864
    edited April 2023
    algarkirk said:

Flanner said:

MaxPB said:

Are drama, novels or news coverage ever convincingly accurate when dealing with anything you really know quite a lot about?

That odd feeling when national news covers stories in your local area...

My dad read a story in the Daily Mail about a ship sinking carrying foreign currency and was livid it was all wrong. He was very involved in the circumstances of the event. I should point out he wasn't responsible for the ship sinking, although going by some of the stories he used to tell us about cock ups I wouldn't have been surprised if he had been. And he was interviewed by the police about money reappearing from the depths.

Anyway, the point of this story is ever since then he still thought every story he read in the Daily Mail was true, even though he had ample evidence, from the one occasion he really knew the full story, that they published rubbish.

I think I have already told the story of his involvement in the Iran tank deal that has festered for decades. They let him retire early and that came as no surprise to us at all. Fortunately he was only a very junior civil servant so the blame for these events could always be laid elsewhere.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,873
    Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

@gallardo_ortega
    The EU has issued private warnings to the UK government against any attempt to bypass decisions by the European Court of Human Rights in order to offshore asylum seekers to Rwanda.

https://twitter.com/gallardo_ortega/status/1651148090173272070

But the ECHR has nothing to do with the EU. We’ve been told that repeatedly.
    That doesn't mean the EU can't take one look at the UK ignoring the ECHR and deciding if they are that dodgy we want to do far less with the UK
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,129
    Good morning, everyone.

If the comments above are accurate (we wanted a 30 day reciprocal deal, the EU wanted 90 and we ended up with no deal at all) that does remind me a bit of the ludicrous Commons votes over intervention in Syria, in which 95% of MPs wanted it but enough voted against both the Labour and Conservative motions that nothing happened.
  • Options

Driver said:

Nigelb said:

Not going to happen because population differences... Rather hard to find much sewage in the Highlands...

On a serious point, how has the government allowed the narrative to form that water companies have only just started putting sewage into rivers? The situation today is vastly improved on 20, 30 years ago. There is much more to be done, but the current situation is being amplified because events are being recorded.
    Glasgow has one of the higher population densities in the UK. I can’t move for stories about stories of salmon returning to the Clyde and trout in the Kelvin. Still wouldn’t fancy a dip around Govan mind.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,295
    Scott_xP said:

Paging Nick Palmer

"Unicorn Kingdom"

• Options
    DavidL said:

Agree with your general point that the government has made no formal commitment to these Nepalese, nor prior to the collapse of Kabul should it have done. Nevertheless the circumstances in which these people ended their time in Afghanistan was very different from at the start. The government doesn't appear to have treated them transparently or with consideration. The fundamental purpose of an immigration system doesn't need to treat people like shits. So I also agree with the comment in the header.

I agree with
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,425
    Driver said:

Nigelb said:

It just goes to show how everything is sinking to the lowest common denominator. From Presenters who cannot pronounce to journos who cannot spell , to staff who cannot add up.. Eeverything in Govt is presented for the General Public to a reading age of 11.
    When the BBC seems to feel the need to explain what GDP and Recession are to its readers you know things are in a bad way.

• Options

Good morning, everyone.

If the comments above are accurate (we wanted a 30 day reciprocal deal, the EU wanted 90 and we ended up with no deal at all) that does remind me a bit of the ludicrous Commons votes over intervention in Syria, in which 95% of MPs wanted it but enough voted against both the Labour and Conservative motions that nothing happened.

I do sometimes wonder what our democratic institutions would look like if we had secret ballots in the Commons.
  • Options
    @YouGov
    3m
    Which of the following do you think would make the best Prime Minister?

Rishi Sunak: 26% (no change from 12-13 Apr)
    Keir Starmer: 29% (+1)
    Not sure: 41% (=)
  • Options
    @YouGov
    3m
    Latest Westminster voting intention (18-19 Apr)

Con: 28% (-1 from 12-13 Apr)
    Lab: 43% (-2)
    Lib Dem: 10% (=)
    Reform UK: 7% (+1)
    Green: 6% (+1)
    SNP: 2% (-1)
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,847
    Scott_xP said:

@YouGov
    3m
    Which of the following do you think would make the best Prime Minister?

Rishi Sunak: 26% (no change from 12-13 Apr)
    Keir Starmer: 29% (+1)
    Not sure: 41% (=)

Hey, shall I make some comment about "SKS fans..."? Let me know.
  • Options
    Driver said:

Driver said:

Nigelb said:

I think the raw sewage in Scotland is motly in Gordon Lamb House.
    Bit harsh on the BBC.
    But fair.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Good for publishers of legal textbooks and the cv of whoever's idea this is but from the linked article, probably bad for justice.

A study published in 2019 found removing the not proven verdict might incline more jurors towards a guilty verdict in finely balanced trials.
    The general perception among the public is often that a "not proven" verdict suggests a sheriff or jury believes the accused is guilty, but does not have sufficient evidence to convict.

Taking those two paragraphs together suggests more guilty verdicts even when there is insufficient evidence, and so more miscarriages of justice. I suppose proponents will say that is a price worth paying if fewer criminals evade justice because of police incompetence.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,335

Good Law Project chief Jolyon Maugham, in his new fundraising pamphlet disguised as a memoir,

Will he throw a strop on twitter about this review?

It's true that he is a figure of fun who doesn't realise that he's a figure of fun.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,905

Driver said:

Nigelb said:

Out of curiosity, if events have only started being recorded in recent years, how do you know that the sewage situation now is vastly improved on 20, 30 years ago?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

It's true that he is a figure of fun who doesn't realise that he's a figure of fun.
    I wouldn't want to be a fox crossing his path after he reads it, that's for sure.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Like John Bercow, he can't see himself as others see him.

When everyone you encounter is an arsehole, then the likelihood is that *you* are the arsehole.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Some deep thinking on this.

https://andrewtickell.co.uk/2021/04/11/not-proven/
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

But Bringing Down Goliath is a bold title for a tale in which Goliath suffers nothing worse than the occasional stubbed toe.

And so he admits what many have long suspected: the Good Law Project sees the Administrative courts as Just Stop Oil sees snooker tables — as a platform for attention-seeking.

A great piece from Adam King.
  • Options

Driver said:

Nigelb said:

Out of curiosity, if events have only started being recorded in recent years, how do you know that the sewage situation now is vastly improved on 20, 30 years ago?
    Great question. Generally the health of our rivers is vastly better than before, albeit that's mostly anecdotal.

However I believe it is true, unless there is evidence that it's not.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sean_F said:

But Bringing Down Goliath is a bold title for a tale in which Goliath suffers nothing worse than the occasional stubbed toe.

And so he admits what many have long suspected: the Good Law Project sees the Administrative courts as Just Stop Oil sees snooker tables — as a platform for attention-seeking.

A great piece from Adam King.
    King uses the rapier to deadly effect.
  • Options

Driver said:

Nigelb said:

He can feel it in his waters
  • Options

Driver said:

Nigelb said:

Great question. Generally the health of our rivers is vastly better than before, albeit that's mostly anecdotal.

Thank you. So you have no idea whether the sewage situation has improved, stayed the same, or worsened over the last 20-30 years.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Driver said:

Sean_F said:

I wouldn't want to be a fox crossing his path after he reads it, that's for sure.
    JK Rowling definitely shot clubbed his fox…
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,203
    Six Months ago SKS Party had a 37 point lead according to YG

https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/8w0a2xhvy8/TheTimes_VI_Results_221021_W.pdf

Today they have it at 15

SKS Fans please explain
  • Options

Today they have it at 15

SKS Fans please explain

No problem. Truss to Sunak.
  • Options

Driver said:

Nigelb said:

Thank you. So you have no idea whether the sewage situation has improved, stayed the same, or worsened over the last 20-30 years.
    Not what I said. There is a lot of evidence of water quality improvement over the years. There has been a specific requirement recently to monitor sewage release and this has been seized on as if the releases had just started, which is not the case.
    Do you think rivers were cleaner in 1990?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,203

Today they have it at 15

SKS Fans please explain

No problem. Truss to Sunak.
    Ten Weeks ago SKS Party had a 28 point lead according to YG

Today they have it at 15

SKS Fans please explain

https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/r2r7ejhs5x/TheTimes_VI_230215_W_.pdf
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,843

Today they have it at 15

SKS Fans please explain

Newtons 2nd law.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,133
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Like John Bercow, he can't see himself as others see him.

When everyone you encounter is an arsehole, then the likelihood is that *you* are the arsehole.
    The fact he is Jolyon Maughan KC does make me wonder about the inner workings of legal system.

Then again Michael Shrimpton was a judge.
  • Options

Driver said:

Nigelb said:

Not what I said. There is a lot of evidence of water quality improvement over the years. There has been a specific requirement recently to monitor sewage release and this has been seized on as if the releases had just started, which is not the case.
    For example, phosphate levels in the Thames have fallen to pre WWII levels from some staggering peaks in the 1960s.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,905

Nigelb said:

Good for publishers of legal textbooks and the cv of whoever's idea this is but from the linked article, probably bad for justice.

A study published in 2019 found removing the not proven verdict might incline more jurors towards a guilty verdict in finely balanced trials.
    The general perception among the public is often that a "not proven" verdict suggests a sheriff or jury believes the accused is guilty, but does not have sufficient evidence to convict.

Taking those two paragraphs together suggests more guilty verdicts even when there is insufficient evidence, and so more miscarriages of justice. I suppose proponents will say that is a price worth paying if fewer criminals evade justice because of police incompetence.
    Instinctively, I would say that the removal of 'not proven' would probably lead to more not guilty verdicts, because presumably a conviction has to be 'beyond reasonable doubt'.

In a lot of ways the legal system, and the judiciary itself, is the final bastion against the 'woke'. It is the final wall that a project of social transformation based on highly emotive concepts slams in to... Rules, evidence, proof.
  • Options

Driver said:

Nigelb said:

What you said is that your view was 'mostly anecdotal', which isn't very convincing.

I don't know whether our rivers were cleaner in 1990. I'd guess at a mixed picture - some pollutants may have diminished, others increased. What I do know is that the water companies are a bunch of profit-seeking charlatans who won't care too much about sewage leaks unless either a) public opinion, and/or b) government action forces them to do something - and well before 2050.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,536
    Nigelb said:

I wonder how Alex Salmond's trial outcome would have been altered by its not being an option...
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 703

Driver said:

Nigelb said:

For example, phosphate levels in the Thames have fallen to pre WWII levels from some staggering peaks in the 1960s.
    The Don has gone from being functionally dead to having salmon spawning grounds.
  • Options

Driver said:

Nigelb said:

What you said is that your view was 'mostly anecdotal', which isn't very convincing.

I don't know whether our rivers were cleaner in 1990. I'd guess at a mixed picture - some pollutants may have diminished, others increased. What I do know is that the water companies are a bunch of profit-seeking charlatans who won't care too much about sewage leaks unless either a) public opinion, and/or b) government action forces them to do something - and well before 2050.
    I don't disagree. I would rather like a Britain with zero sewage going into rivers and the sea. I just think the recent campaign is somewhat dishonest in how it portrays the issue.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,536

Today they have it at 15

SKS Fans please explain

Wait another year - and another 22 point drop...
This discussion has been closed.