Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Not our King? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,734
edited April 2023 in General
Not our King? – politicalbetting.com

Britons are divided on how likely they are to watch or take part in celebrations surrounding the coronation All BritonsVery/fairly likely: 46%Not very/at all likely: 48%18-24yr oldsLikely: 31%Not likely: 59%65+yr oldsLikely: 62%Not likely: 32%https://t.co/LzYbrTC7B2 pic.twitter.com/kfFmTVmuSa

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Republic now!
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,239
    UK CPI 10.1% versus 9.8% consensus forecast. I had expected 9.9%. Not great.
    One of the reasons that I am more positive on Labour's chances is that I expect persistent inflation in the UK and elsewhere to necessitate a more aggressive central bank response. A recession is probably needed here as well as in the US and Euro Area to tame inflation. I don't see an economic backdrop of high inflation and interest rates and coordinated recession across major economies as being very conducive to the Tories' reelection chances. However, economic forecasting is notoriously tricky so DYOR.
  • Options
    Ho ho ho.

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,147
    Well I’m 50 and I’m avoiding the coronation by going to France for the weekend, it’s nothing personal we did the same for Diana’s funeral.

Ironically twin A will actually be there but we didn’t know that when we booked the flights.
  • Options

Ho ho ho.

Wow. Has a political reputation ever soured so much and so fast before this? I'm struggling to think of a precedent.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,638
    I misread that as ‘Charles is reviewing his shameful role in the slave trade.’

Which even by the standards of Mr Eagles seemed a bit harsh.

Then I realised I had missed the word ‘family.’
  • Options

Ho ho ho.

Wow. Has a political reputation ever soured so much and so fast before this? I'm struggling to think of a precedent.
    Neville Chamberlain.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,613
    eek said:

Well I’m 50 and I’m avoiding the coronation by going to France for the weekend, it’s nothing personal we did the same for Diana’s funeral.

Ironically twin A will actually be there but we didn’t know that when we booked the flights.

I was in the US when HMQ died, but that was no escape from the coverage.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,400

Ho ho ho.

You were beaten to the mark by Carlotta Vance and then me (later and by repetition)
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,150
    edited April 2023
    I’ll be watching it - at a party on the QE2.
  • Options

Ho ho ho.

Merkel and Russia is the closest I can think of; the two of them both began with reputations of having calm, sound judgement
  • Options
    eek said:

This is my plans for that weekend.

The leader of Britain’s largest anti-monarchist group says more than 1,350 people have pledged to protest during the coronation parade in May.

Graham Smith, the head of Republic, said the demonstration would mark “the largest protest action” in the group’s 50-year history.

Republic activists will wear yellow T-shirts and wave yellow placards to create an “unmissable sea of yellow” along the procession route in central London, he said. When the newly crowned King passes in his gold stage coach, they plan to boo loudly and chant: “Not my King”.

Most of the demonstration will be in Trafalgar Square but smaller groups of anti-monarchists will be dotted along other sections of the route.

Smith, 48, said activists would aim to arrive early in the morning to be as close to the barriers as possible. He stressed, however, that they were not planning any Extinction Rebellion-style stunts, because “it’s not a good look” and “doesn’t help the cause”.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/anti-royal-monarchy-protest-coronation-not-my-king-krf5gf8gb
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    A lot who say they will not watch will in some form or other. It will be inescapable unless you want to watch old episodes of Coronation Street......
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684

Ho ho ho.

Liz Truss, started badly, ended in a total disaster.
  • Options

eek said:

The leader of Britain’s largest anti-monarchist group says more than 1,350 people have pledged to protest during the coronation parade in May.

Graham Smith, the head of Republic, said the demonstration would mark “the largest protest action” in the group’s 50-year history.

Republic activists will wear yellow T-shirts and wave yellow placards to create an “unmissable sea of yellow” along the procession route in central London, he said. When the newly crowned King passes in his gold stage coach, they plan to boo loudly and chant: “Not my King”.

Most of the demonstration will be in Trafalgar Square but smaller groups of anti-monarchists will be dotted along other sections of the route.

Smith, 48, said activists would aim to arrive early in the morning to be as close to the barriers as possible. He stressed, however, that they were not planning any Extinction Rebellion-style stunts, because “it’s not a good look” and “doesn’t help the cause”.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/anti-royal-monarchy-protest-coronation-not-my-king-krf5gf8gb
    Standing around for hours surrounded by the monarchist fan club just waiting to shout something out that no-one will hear in the din must be the height of futility, as well as hours of torture for a Republican. Common sense suggests the stunt is merely the press release prior and this won’t come to anything.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,255

One of the reasons that I am more positive on Labour's chances is that I expect persistent inflation in the UK and elsewhere to necessitate a more aggressive central bank response. A recession is probably needed here as well as in the US and Euro Area to tame inflation. I don't see an economic backdrop of high inflation and interest rates and coordinated recession across major economies as being very conducive to the Tories' reelection chances. However, economic forecasting is notoriously tricky so DYOR.

Agreed it's a disappointing number. I am not convinced we will get that close to the 2.9% year end forecast per the OBR 😡.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684
    I'm grateful for the day off, I won't be watching the coronation though. Can't think of much I'd enjoy less.
  • Options

eek said:

The chance of a few Extiction Rebellion types infritrating their demonstration, is definitely not zero.

At least if the protestors are dressed distinctively, the TV director will know who to avoid broadcasting.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Ho ho ho.

No, most sensible people (ie not Leon) already knew Truss was an incompetent fanatic whose rule would be an utter disaster. She was slightly worse than expected but not much.
  • Options

eek said:

So you will actually be watching the coronation?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Ho ho ho.

She was expected to be bad and turned out to be tremendously, horribly, hugely bad. I suppose you could describe that as surprising on the upside…
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 819
    edited April 2023

Agreed. If we look over the period since October 2022, when the energy price cap was last increased, inflation has averaged around 5%, which is also around where core inflation is.

We will finally get headline inflation below 10% as April's figures of last year (with the big rise in energy prices) drop out of the comparator, but I see no signs of inflation falling back to close to the 2% target without a recession occuring first.

That won't be well timed for Sunak less than 12 months before an election.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,048
    MaxPB said:

I'm grateful for the day off, I won't be watching the coronation though. Can't think of much I'd enjoy less.

We seem to get a Royal Bank Holiday every year nowadays.

I think watching some of it inevitable, even if just the highlights on the news. Drinks, field games and fireworks on the playing fields is the extent of my partying. Let's hope for some sun. Everything looks better in the sun.
  • Options
    Good morning

It was always likely the popularity of the monarchy would decline after the death of the queen and these polls confirm the general disinterest

The late queen's coronation is very much in my memory, and if this one is anything like hers I fear the decline in support will continue as times have changed so much since 1953

However, until there is a viable alternative I expect the monarchy to continue in a much reduced role
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,737

Agreed it's a disappointing number. I am not convinced we will get that close to the 2.9% year end forecast per the OBR 😡.
    Has inflation ever spontaneously fallen away in the way that forecasters hoped?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,304
    eek said:

Leaving the country seems a disproportionate response.

I'm with Max - thanks for the day off, but I've got better things to do.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,436
    I'll be hiking on Dartmoor, along with countless others. TV and news switched off all day and no newspapers the following day.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Ho ho ho.

No, most sensible people (ie not Leon) already knew Truss was an incompetent fanatic whose rule would be an utter disaster. She was slightly worse than expected but not much.
    To be fair none more so than Sunak
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Ho ho ho.

To be fair none more so than Sunak
    Indeed. I said at the time that the Tories were insane to choose Truss over Sunak.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Ho ho ho.

Neville Chamberlain.
    Charles Stuart Parnell ?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,774
    edited April 2023
    ydoethur said:

I misread that as ‘Charles is reviewing his shameful role in the slave trade.’

Which even by the standards of Mr Eagles seemed a bit harsh.

Then I realised I had missed the word ‘family.’

A line I removed from this piece.

A former Duke of York used to brand his slaves with his initials which still makes him a better human being than the current Duke of York.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,431
    edited April 2023

Ho ho ho.

Well, the prescience and Scotch expertise of London based media is legendary. They should be grateful to Humza for helping out by being the Muslim with a beard.

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,474
    edited April 2023

Sky's correspondent said that most economist's do expect inflation to half this year but the BOE are concerned about high wage increases causing companies to increase prices and are most likely to increase interests rates to dampen inflation
  • Options
    Devastating interview with a depressed sounding CEO of Paragraf semiconductor on R4 this morning regarding the government's again delayed (actually non existent) semiconductor strategy.

I expect them to decamp to the US fairly soon.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

I'll be hiking on Dartmoor, along with countless others. TV and news switched off all day and no newspapers the following day.

Don't buy Monday's paper or any for the next few months nor watch tv or the internet, or listen to the radio.. You might see something about it .....
    You are a v sad person.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,248
    Just catching up on last night’s citrus based shenanigans. It’s enough to put me off my ACV/lemon juice morning livener
  • Options

Heathener said:

Don't buy Monday's paper or any for the next few months nor watch tv or the internet, or listen to the radio.. You might see something about it .....
    You are a v sad person.
    Most of us aren't phobic - just not interested.

As for Heathener, no sadder than those who will spend the day riveted by the meaningless pageantry.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,740

Putting up the cost of borrowing seems an odd way to fight commodity price inflation but interest rate rises, long called for by those reliving the 1980s, became necessary to defend the exchange rate.
  • Options
    jamesdoylejamesdoyle Posts: 664

A lot who say they will not watch will in some form or other. It will be inescapable unless you want to watch old episodes of Coronation Street......

Or... don't turn the tv on? Read a book, go for a walk, etc..
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,890
    eek said:

We're also going away with flights massively cheaper on the Coronation day than the day before or after. So maybe everyone else is watching it
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Charlie boy can stick his crown up his backside.

I couldn't give a flying fig about him or the bloody royal family. A load of archaic crap.

Come the next election, they will surely be swept from power….
  • Options

What other types of falling away are there?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Heathener said:

You are a v sad person.

As for Heathener, no sadder than those who will spend the day riveted by the meaningless pageantry.
    It isn't meaningless at all.
  • Options

Good morning

It was always likely the popularity of the monarchy would decline after the death of the queen and these polls confirm the general disinterest

The late queen's coronation is very much in my memory, and if this one is anything like hers I fear the decline in support will continue as times have changed so much since 1953

However, until there is a viable alternative I expect the monarchy to continue in a much reduced role

The 1953 Coronation came at an opportune time, and for a glamorous young woman. The grim war years and the rationing and hardship of the immediate post war years was over. Despite the loss of India and nascent independence movements elsewhere, the Empire was substantially intact, with room for optimism and a bright new future.

Seventy years later, with a man well past retirement age at the centre of events, and with massive squeeze on personal finances, there is less enthusiasm to party. It just isn't the national mood right now, but it doesn't itself mean that the institution is obsolete. Archaic, pompous and bizarrely ritualistic as it is, the Monarchy will plod on for longer.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,890

Like Mr G, I remember the last coronation. And there certainly doesn’t seem to be as much fuss this time, either in London itself more around the country.
    I shall probably watch part of the procession basically because my wife will want to, and the chair where I spend most of my days nowadays points at the television!

However, I shall be having my own celebration as it’s my birthday! 85!

That's an event worth celebrating. Congratulations!
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Heathener said:

You are a v sad person.

Indeed not, it’s a sophisticated piece of merchandising for the tourist industry
  • Options
    As posted a week or two back, the Palace needs to tell people what is the point of the Coronation. Charles is already king, so that cannot be it. And since dukes are not to dress up in their coronation robes, a public display of finery and flummery is not it either. A day off work and the odd street party here or there seems a bit of a duff exchange for acres of newsprint on whether Harry and Meghan will show up, and a flypast from however few Red Arrows are still airworthy.

What's the point? Why should we care?
  • Options

Putting up the cost of borrowing seems an odd way to fight commodity price inflation but interest rate rises, long called for by those reliving the 1980s, became necessary to defend the exchange rate.
    Squeezing public sector pay, and pushing up mortgage costs does indeed seem an odd way to tackle international commodity costs. If your only tool is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail.
  • Options
    On topic - people who think there should be a monarchy but also think the public shouldn't fund the Coronation ceremony are idiots.
    I will probably watch it. God save the King!
  • Options
    If things are going according to my very vague plan, I should be in Saint-Pol-de-Léon for the coronation

If so, I'm going to "celebrate" at a restaurant called Mary Stuart

I rather fancy the scallop carpaccio, followed by the woke veal

https://www.restaurantmarystuart.com/carte-et-menus
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,857

eek said:

The legal and constitutional inaccuracy of this slogan bothers me; it just isn't right unless you are a foreign citizen.

"We don't want you as King!", Or "Republic Now!", would work, but this is a slogan for the ignorant or uneducated.
  • Options
    Unless the weather is piddling down I am taking the Tesla and doing a 3 day NC500 filming trip.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,948

On topic - people who think there should be a monarchy but also think the public shouldn't fund the Coronation ceremony are idiots.

Not really, taxpayers have already paid for the monarchy many times over in the past. We should be in credit for the next few thousand years imo.
  • Options

eek said:

The legal and constitutional inaccuracy of this slogan bothers me; it just isn't right unless you are a foreign citizen.

"We don't want you as King!", Or "Republic Now!", would work, but this is a slogan for the ignorant or uneducated.
    It's both.
  • Options
    We have Liz Truss to thank for wiping £1 trillion off Britain’s public sector pensions bill
    Higher interest rates mean the amount earmarked today to pay future pensions, goes down. This is because, effectively, more can be paid from future interest income. Promised pensions are discounted by this higher interest rate to give a lower “present value”, or cost.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/pensions-retirement/news/liz-truss-1-trillion-off-british-public-sector-pension-bill/ (£££)

Perhaps the lesson is never to trust pension forecasts based on accounting conventions.
  • Options

As posted a week or two back, the Palace needs to tell people what is the point of the Coronation. Charles is already king, so that cannot be it. And since dukes are not to dress up in their coronation robes, a public display of finery and flummery is not it either. A day off work and the odd street party here or there seems a bit of a duff exchange for acres of newsprint on whether Harry and Meghan will show up, and a flypast from however few Red Arrows are still airworthy.

Charles risks losing support from both angles: alienating his traditional support base - with things like slavery, achingly right-on environmentalism and being, clearly, so uncomfortable with the role - whilst not winning over any new converts from the political Left, or even grudging respect, because they object on principle.

The core problem is that he hasn't yet won respect for himself in the role, and is too full of self-pity to try.

People don't have confidence in you if you don't have confidence in yourself.
  • Options

Not really, taxpayers have already paid for the monarchy many times over in the past. We should be in credit for the next few thousand years imo.
    But this isn't a private family party, Charles is being invested as Head of State. Ergo the State should pay.
  • Options

The very low cost of borrowing has been a huge part of the problem with productivity and inequality, but also something the central banks have been scared to move away from. It may be that the rise in inflation has given them cover to do this, whether they think it necessary or not in dealing with this particular flavour of inflation.
  • Options

Unless the weather is piddling down I am taking the Tesla and doing a 3 day NC500 filming trip.

You'd better buy some decent dashcams then, instead of relying on the Tesla potato-smeared lenses.
  • Options

If things are going according to my very vague plan, I should be in Saint-Pol-de-Léon for the coronation

btw - I know that veal is a long way from woke
  • Options

Charles risks losing support from both angles: alienating his traditional support base - with things like slavery, achingly right-on environmentalism and being, clearly, so uncomfortable with the role - whilst not winning over any new converts from the political Left, or even grudging respect, because they object on principle.

The core problem is that he hasn't yet won respect for himself in the role, and is too full of self-pity to try.

Not sure polling would support your view, .....
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Good morning

The 1953 Coronation came at an opportune time, and for a glamorous young woman. The grim war years and the rationing and hardship of the immediate post war years was over. Despite the loss of India and nascent independence movements elsewhere, the Empire was substantially intact, with room for optimism and a bright new future.

Seventy years later, with a man well past retirement age at the centre of events, and with massive squeeze on personal finances, there is less enthusiasm to party. It just isn't the national mood right now, but it doesn't itself mean that the institution is obsolete. Archaic, pompous and bizarrely ritualistic as it is, the Monarchy will plod on for longer.
    I actually couldn't disagree more with the last bit - the pomp and pageantry, and rituals, is (Guardian excepted) what everyone enjoys and loves. It's uniquely British and a fantastic ceremony.

It's the magic that surrounds it that's the problem. And Charles just doesn't seem to believe in himself or it very much.
  • Options

But this isn't a private family party, Charles is being invested as Head of State. Ergo the State should pay.
    Ok with me if they pay 40% inheritance tax on most of their assets (however shielded). Otherwise nah.
  • Options
    We're now doing to see inflation continue to be propelled along by food price inflation, which is at a 45 year high. You can blame Ukraine for bits of it, Covid for bigger chunks of it, but fundamentally the price of pretty much everything we grow or rear to eat is way way up and not showing much sign of slowing down.

Suggestions that inflation is about to fall back to low single digits therefore a tax cut budget therefore some feelgood therefore Sir Keith Donkey is found out and the Tories win are for the birds. Inflation isn't something the Tories have done, but they are in the driving seat. Their constant denial there is inflation ("its coming down fast" etc) is denial of people's reality. And when you say "you've never had it so good" as people struggle to pay their food bill, you're going to have a bad time in the elections to come...
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,722

Like Mr G, I remember the last coronation. And there certainly doesn’t seem to be as much fuss this time, either in London itself more around the country.
    I shall probably watch part of the procession basically because my wife will want to, and the chair where I spend most of my days nowadays points at the television!!

But is it not the fact that most people who live in London nowadays - whatever their official nationality - had their origins elsewhere? Unsurprising then....
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    IanB2 said:

Ho ho ho.

Merkel and Russia is the closest I can think of; the two of them both began with reputations of having calm, sound judgement
    One of the reasons for the enduring success of conservatism is the voter is less prone to idolising their leaders - fewer illusions to be shattered.
  • Options

The cost to the Exchequer is said to be around £100m, of which a reasonable amount will cycle back to the Treasury in taxes. There will be tens of thousands of foreign tourists turning up, which will boost the economy, and the worldwide TV coverage will likely lead to increased UK inbound tourism over the summer.

It’s like a bigger-scale version of Singapore paying $20m for each F1 race, and making it back from tourism.
  • Options

We're now doing to see inflation continue to be propelled along by food price inflation, which is at a 45 year high. You can blame Ukraine for bits of it, Covid for bigger chunks of it, but fundamentally the price of pretty much everything we grow or rear to eat is way way up and not showing much sign of slowing down.

Suggestions that inflation is about to fall back to low single digits therefore a tax cut budget therefore some feelgood therefore Sir Keith Donkey is found out and the Tories win are for the birds. Inflation isn't something the Tories have done, but they are in the driving seat. Their constant denial there is inflation ("its coming down fast" etc) is denial of people's reality. And when you say "you've never had it so good" as people struggle to pay their food bill, you're going to have a bad time in the elections to come...

I think you may have missed the important pb financial news that there were quite a few people in M&S. Conclusive proof that life has never been better.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,577
    Really did expect inflation to be in the 9s today. This will not make the various public sector strikes easier to settle. Very disappointing news.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

The cost to the Exchequer is said to be around £100m, of which a reasonable amount will cycle back to the Treasury in taxes. There will be tens of thousands of foreign tourists turning up, which will boost the economy, and the worldwide TV coverage will likely lead to increased UK inbound tourism over the summer.

It’s like a bigger-scale version of Singapore paying $20m for each F1 race, and making it back from tourism.
    We could also pay the Premier League around £100m free cash, of which a reasonable amount will cycle back to the Treasury in taxes. There would be tens of thousands of foreign tourists turning up boosting the economy and getting TV coverage.

Neither the Premier League nor the Royal Family have any particular need for the £100m and the tourists and TV will come with or without such payment.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Heathener said:

You are a v sad person.

Not to you, granted.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Really did expect inflation to be in the 9s today. This will not make the various public sector strikes easier to settle. Very disappointing news.

The difference between 9.9% and 10.1% is surely irrelevant. A slightly differnet basket of goods would be at 9.9% and the media reaction would then be quite different. Weird to me.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I didn't. Inflation is always higher than you think (in the stats) but always lower in reality, strangely.

It's a lagging indicator the calculations for which are rather contrived.

I'm not worried.
  • Options
    Have fewer kids?

More than 310,000 children in England share a bed with parents or siblings because of overcrowded homes, research suggests.

Almost two million children — one in six — live in overcrowded homes because their family cannot access a suitable affordable home, according to the National Housing Federation, the umbrella body for almost 600 housing associations.

“I sleep on the sofa,” Dionne Barnes, 61, who lives with three children in a two-bedroom, tenth-floor flat in Bristol, said. “The only time I have space to myself is in the bathroom.” Her daughter, Chané, 31, who is eight months pregnant, shares a bedroom with her younger sister, Mihema-Ré, 8, who struggles to do homework in the cramped space.

Their autistic brother, Touré, 14, has the second bedroom. “My son loves the outdoors but he just stays in his room,” said Barnes, who runs a catering business and rents the flat from the council. She is waiting to be rehoused but was told it would take at least 18 months.

Researchers, who combined a survey of 207 households by the market research company Savanta with analysis of the government’s English Housing Survey, said the findings were “indicative”. The study uses the government definition of overcrowded homes, where a room is shared by more than two children under ten, two teenagers of different sexes or two adults who are not in a relationship.

Parents in 180,000 families regularly sleep in a living room, bathroom, hallway or kitchen, the study suggests. Half a million children, including 142,000 teenagers, share a bedroom with their parents. Up to 900,000 children struggle to do their homework.

Parents in more than half (53 per cent) of England’s 746,000 overcrowded homes worry that their children are too embarrassed to bring friends home. Three quarters of overcrowded families said it harmed their health and mental health.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/overcrowded-homes-force-300-000-children-to-share-bed-zmn9q5rbk
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Yes, the cost argument is a bit of a red herring. Provided they don't go mad with the spending (which isn't the case here), it arguably pays for itself.

'Metaphysical transcendence', nope.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

My wife will certainly be watching it which means I will be watching some of it too. I think the moaning on here is overdone. We do this kind of thing rather well. Whilst I have reservations about the future of the monarchy I think Charles has surprised on the upside so far.

The non excited are over 90% not interested rather than moaners.
  • Options

btw - I know that veal is a long way from woke
    That looks delicious.

There is absolutely no bullshit about food in France.

If ever the Puritans take over here then I simply might have to become French.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Heathener said:

You are a v sad person.

Not to you, granted.
    Whether you agree with it or not, the ceremony of the Coronation isn't meaningless. It has meaning. End of.
  • Options

Spot on.
  • Options
    Why do we need a coronation? Charles is King. Charles is Head of State. Charles is already in role doing all of the constitutional things demanded of him. Bussing him up the Mall to have a crown plonked on his head does what? Specifically please.

We can't even say this markets Brand UK around the world. Charles is a miserable old bastard. No glamour and ooooh to see here. Holywood makes endless BritRoyal fantasy films, but the only place for scowling jug ears would be the old king who pops off at the beginning leaving Queen Liz Hurley to brood as her foxy children squabble over the crown.

That may have a purpose. If Harry had won an internecine battle for succession against Wills and Kate Simpleton, and now Harry and Meghan were to be whisked up to the Abbey flicking the Vs as the booing crowds, THAT would be worth paying for.

This? Naah.
  • Options

It's odd that you and disagree on virtually everything except this.

A left-wing monarchist is an interesting but rare beast!
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,340
    Sandpit said:

I'm pretty sure we have this 'boost to the economy' claim every time there is a royalty-related bank holiday. It is of course nonsense.
  • Options

DavidL said:

My wife will certainly be watching it which means I will be watching some of it too. I think the moaning on here is overdone. We do this kind of thing rather well. Whilst I have reservations about the future of the monarchy I think Charles has surprised on the upside so far.

I’m old enough to remember the “who cares about the Silver Jubilee anyway?” line - and how that turned out.

In more recent history:

While half the nation is toasting the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee, the other half has little enthusiasm for the celebrations, according to a new poll.

Some 49 per cent say they will be marking the monarch’s 70th anniversary in some way, leaving 51 per cent who are not.

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/platinum-jubilee-queen-half-britons-wont-celebrate-royal-family-out-of-touch-poll-1665587

How did that turn out?

It’s an excuse for a party and a show - and an excuse for a bit of a p*ss up….Like Brits are going to turn that down.,….Bah! Humbug!
    Yes, we always get this. Probably because it's a bit "uncool" in certain circles to pretend you're even vaguely interested.

People will both whinge about it and watch it.

Very British.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,577

DavidL said:

The difference between 9.9% and 10.1% is surely irrelevant. A slightly differnet basket of goods would be at 9.9% and the media reaction would then be quite different. Weird to me.
    Psychologically it makes a big difference. The longer inflation is over 10% the more embedded and “normal” that becomes.
  • Options
    edited April 2023

Sandpit said:

We could also pay the Premier League around £100m free cash, of which a reasonable amount will cycle back to the Treasury in taxes. There would be tens of thousands of foreign tourists turning up boosting the economy and getting TV coverage.

Neither the Premier League nor the Royal Family have any particular need for the £100m and the tourists and TV will come with or without such payment.
    The Premier League doesn’t attract much tourism at all, and top flight football is rich enough to pay for their own policing in many cases.

The money isn’t going to the royal household, most of it is for security and other staff working, facilities for the crowd, and cleaning up afterwards. The two biggest recipients of it, will be Met Police and Westminster Council.

One question that brings up - are PL media rights subject to VAT? @TheScreamingEagles ?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,052
    Good morning, everyone.

I won't attend a celebration or watch the whole thing but plan to watch some of it.

Mr. Pioneers, you curmedgeon, you.
  • Options

I do worry about some of the polling, actually.

KCIII needs to be playing a blinder to prove people wrong about him and cement support for the next generation.

At the moment, I'd say he's too inspid and a bit of a wet lettuce. He clearly hasn't yet grown into the role and he needs to - fast.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,735

DavidL said:

The non excited are over 90% not interested rather than moaners.
    Yep that is me. If there is a party going on locally I will get engaged with it. Must look up when it is happening as I don't know. May sometime?
  • Options

I shall probably watch part of the procession basically because my wife will want to, and the chair where I spend most of my days nowadays points at the television!

However, I shall be having my own celebration as it’s my birthday! 85!

I shall raise a glass to you.
    A king who attracts the sympathy of both royalists and republicans.
  • Options

Have fewer kids?

More than 310,000 children in England share a bed with parents or siblings because of overcrowded homes, research suggests.

Almost two million children — one in six — live in overcrowded homes because their family cannot access a suitable affordable home, according to the National Housing Federation, the umbrella body for almost 600 housing associations.

“I sleep on the sofa,” Dionne Barnes, 61, who lives with three children in a two-bedroom, tenth-floor flat in Bristol, said. “The only time I have space to myself is in the bathroom.” Her daughter, Chané, 31, who is eight months pregnant, shares a bedroom with her younger sister, Mihema-Ré, 8, who struggles to do homework in the cramped space.

Their autistic brother, Touré, 14, has the second bedroom. “My son loves the outdoors but he just stays in his room,” said Barnes, who runs a catering business and rents the flat from the council. She is waiting to be rehoused but was told it would take at least 18 months.

Researchers, who combined a survey of 207 households by the market research company Savanta with analysis of the government’s English Housing Survey, said the findings were “indicative”. The study uses the government definition of overcrowded homes, where a room is shared by more than two children under ten, two teenagers of different sexes or two adults who are not in a relationship.

Parents in 180,000 families regularly sleep in a living room, bathroom, hallway or kitchen, the study suggests. Half a million children, including 142,000 teenagers, share a bedroom with their parents. Up to 900,000 children struggle to do their homework.

Parents in more than half (53 per cent) of England’s 746,000 overcrowded homes worry that their children are too embarrassed to bring friends home. Three quarters of overcrowded families said it harmed their health and mental health.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/overcrowded-homes-force-300-000-children-to-share-bed-zmn9q5rbk

That's a pretty ignorant comment, and is beneath you. Plenty of families are in overcrowded accommodation because of a change in circumstances such as death or illness of a breadwinner, being evicted from a more suitable property or family breakup. Also, children are probably the greatest source of joy in people's life - maybe the only true thing that gives life meaning - and I certainly understand why people don't necessarily wait until all their financial ducks are in a row before becoming parents - especially since for many that would mean never having children.
    The real problem is the failure of successive governments to overcome the vested interests that hold back homebuilding. We should be embarking on a social housing construction boom, not victim blaming families in overcrowded homes.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,182

I do worry about some of the polling, actually.

KCIII needs to be playing a blinder to prove people wrong about him and cement support for the next generation.

At the moment, I'd say he's too inspid and a bit of a wet lettuce. He clearly hasn't yet grown into the role and he needs to - fast.
    Royalist complains that genetic lottery doesn't work. Illogical.
This discussion has been closed.