Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Abandoning Housing targets – Sunak’s election losing mistake? – politicalbetting.com

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,958
    Andy_JS said:

Even though the French parliament refused to support it.
    The court has said no to a referendum on the pensions bill but this is being appealed. Macron has offered to meet the Unions on Tuesday.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,035
    Leon said:

Another weird ChatGPT answer

"The last execution for a crime other than murder or treason in England and Wales was that of Richard Thomas Parker, who was hanged in 1861 for piracy."

In fact, Richard Thomas Parker was the last man executed in public in Nottingham, and it was for murder, in 1864

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/nottingham-news/story-last-person-publicly-executed-5978960

10,000 people watched

Not sure if it's just my different prompt or that I'm on GPT-4, but I asked it "When was the last public execution for a crime other than murder or treason in England and Wales?" and got

"The last public execution for a crime other than murder or treason in England and Wales occurred on May 26, 1868. The executed individual was Michael Barrett, an Irish nationalist and Fenian, who was convicted for his role in the Clerkenwell explosion, which took place in London in December 1867. The explosion was an unsuccessful attempt to free a fellow Fenian from prison, and it killed 12 people and injured many others. Barrett was hanged outside Newgate Prison in London.

It's important to note that Barrett's crime involved the loss of life, so it might be considered as being related to murder. However, his conviction was based on his involvement in the broader Fenian conspiracy, which aimed to establish an independent Irish republic, making his crime distinct from a typical murder case."
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,504

RCN rejects pay offer

Humza Condemned
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,251
    Am I the only person who finds the whole Biden “Who do you think you are” tour of Ireland episode is quite odd? Can you imagine the uproar if a European leader used huge national resources, State jet, security etc at massive cost to go and meet some people he was related to 170 years ago?

Waiting for Rishi to use the King’s flight to visit distant ancestors in India - I’m sure it will get positive coverage.

Surprised Trump hasn’t kicked off about it as a bit of an open goal, yes 30m Americans think they are Irish but that means millions more aren’t.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

RCN rejects pay offer

54%.
    Strike April 30 -May 2.
    Apparently they have to ballot their members to continue strikes beyond those dates
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 48,088
    ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

"The last execution for a crime other than murder or treason in England and Wales was that of Richard Thomas Parker, who was hanged in 1861 for piracy."

In fact, Richard Thomas Parker was the last man executed in public in Nottingham, and it was for murder, in 1864

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/nottingham-news/story-last-person-publicly-executed-5978960

10,000 people watched

Not sure if it's just my different prompt or that I'm on GPT-4, but I asked it "When was the last public execution for a crime other than murder or treason in England and Wales?" and got

"The last public execution for a crime other than murder or treason in England and Wales occurred on May 26, 1868. The executed individual was Michael Barrett, an Irish nationalist and Fenian, who was convicted for his role in the Clerkenwell explosion, which took place in London in December 1867. The explosion was an unsuccessful attempt to free a fellow Fenian from prison, and it killed 12 people and injured many others. Barrett was hanged outside Newgate Prison in London.

It's important to note that Barrett's crime involved the loss of life, so it might be considered as being related to murder. However, his conviction was based on his involvement in the broader Fenian conspiracy, which aimed to establish an independent Irish republic, making his crime distinct from a typical murder case."
    I was on GPT4 (via ChatGPT). Were you using a different portal?

Your answer looks much more accurate. Have you checked? Is it?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,535
    Driver said:

Andy_JS said:

"How the trans census fooled Britain

Tribal speech codes breed linguistic compliance

By Kathleen Stock"

https://unherd.com/2023/04/how-the-trans-census-fooled-britain/

I read that when it was posted earlier. There seems to be at least one flaw in the argument: "sex registered at birth" isn't the term used by Stonewall et al, AFAIK - don't they insist on "assigned" to imply that it's arbitrary?
    I can't understand any of it, apart from the fact that a lot of people were obviously very confused by the question.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,825

Phil said:

Fuck this,

Nationalise Thames Water now.

Save water, don’t flush after a wee, urges utilities director

Britons should consider not flushing the lavatory after urinating and taking shorter showers to secure future water supplies, according to a senior water executive.

Cathryn Ross, strategy and regulatory affairs director at the UK’s biggest water company, Thames Water, said today’s water consumption levels were “unsustainable” in the long term. The average Briton uses 142 litres a day, with Ross’s customers slightly higher at 146 litres.

Despite Britain’s image as a wet and rainy country, experts are increasingly concerned that climate change, population growth and a dry southeast will risk future water supplies without significant interventions. There is a one in four chance that large numbers of households will have their water supply cut for an extended period due to drought in the next 30 years, the government’s infrastructure adviser warned last month.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/save-water-don-t-flush-after-a-wee-urges-utilities-director-clean-it-up-g68sk2jh7

This is where wanky greenery and crappy ESG gets you.

Their pipes lose about 25-30% of all water, they dont build reservoirs for the for a growing population, they pollute the rivers they dont suck dry and then tell you its for you to fix the problem by using less and being charged more for it. In the meantime the directors approve unjustified dividends and pay themselves multimillion pound salaries

Rather than actually do their job of providing water the run pratty marketing campaigns and vitue signalling twaddle.

And Ofwat is just pure shit
    To be slightly fair to them on the reservoirs thing, hasn’t the plan to build a proper reservoir somewhere near Abingdon been held up in interminable planning delays by local NIMBYs for decades at this point?

The rest is of course spot on.
    yes it has. But that's one reservoir and theyve had 30 years to build what the Thames area needs.

Even if they fixed their leaky pipes that would be the equivalent of several reservoirs
    I've been head down in this for years.

The entire Abingdon Reservoir thing is a red herring for the balance sheet. It's supposed to be a bunded super-reservoir thirty times the size of the median reservoir (that wouldn't be completed for decades, if at all), filled solely from the Thames in a water-stressed area, wouldn't be resilient to long-term droughts, the rationale for it has changed four times at least in the past few years, and they're using it to resist the pressure to follow the National Infrastructure Commission's recommendations.

Which are to complete a National Grid of water and connect the dry regions to the wet ones (the North West has six times the rainfall, a third the population, and 118 reservoirs already). But that wouldn't be profitable nor would it provide a big balance sheet boost to add to the share value. It'd provide two to three times as much new water into the water-stressed area as the super-reservoir, be built in a fraction of the time, affect far fewer people negatively, and be far more likely to come in on time and budget (being made from modular parts).

But people just go, "Duh. Reservoir. That's the solution, right?"

And the entire discussion and all those points fade away. Thames Water are likely to get what they're after, and the National Water Grid disappears into a distant and unlikely future (because as soon as the Severn-Thames link is made, any business case for their super-reservoir vanishes). And we will get those droughts, because you can't get that super-reservoir built and filled before the 2050s at best (and it's not drought-resilient in any case). But Abingdon will get repeatedly flooded, but hey, it's for the shareholders.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,822

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Fuck it, bring back hanging for stealing loaves. And littering

Definitely littering and not parking correctly in parking bays as well
    And REALLY noisy motorbikes
    Fly tippers. Those feckers deserve boiling until death in oil, and the rest of their family beheading, every last one of them.
    Insufficient. You have to dance on their graves and sing comic songs as well. (From memory this is Harris on the subject of people who put chains on River Thames backwaters, in Jerome's 3 Men in a Boat. J comments that this punishment is a step too far on account of Harris's singing ability).

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,598

kinabalu said:

eek said:

Driver said:

Carnyx said:

Driver said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:
    Nick Cohen: older people will be allowed to use their travel passes as photo ID, but younger voters won't be able to use things like student cards.

https://nickcohen.substack.com/p/how-voter-suppression-came-to-england
    That's because 60+/disabled travel passes are issued by a government body (the council) and student cards aren't.

(Not that I've bothered clicking the link, the URL shows that Cohen is arguing in bad faith.)
    Pointing out arguments for a thesis of voter suppression is bad faith? If that's the case it's impossible to argue against your position.
    It's a clear sign that he's assuming what he's trying to prove.

The whole argument falls down because surveys (I mean real ones, not ones by nutters like Byline Times) have found that demographics that lean Tory are more likely to be without valid ID than those that lean Labour, so anybody still arguing that the Tories are engaging in voter suppresion are clearly arguing in bad faith and can be ignored.

As can anyone in 3 weeks' time claiming they were "turned away" - the polling card (and even the envelope it comes in) are quite clear.
    It wouldn't surprise me if the local elections are a disaster for the Tories and they (accidentally) claim that the voter suppression is a reason for the results...
    That would be quite amusing.
    Not really. It's entirely possible that the net effect of the voter ID law is to suppress anti-Tory votes, but that they will still do disastrously badly because they are so unpopular.

If they then blame the voter ID law for their bad election result, and have the media and partisan twitter idiots laughing along, then they will have achieved two things:
    1. Distracted from the reality of their unpopularity.
    2. Fooled people into thinking that they aren't suppressing anti-Tory voters.

But, well, be amused I guess.
    Ah no what would be amusing (I mean) is if they've miscalculated and the net effect IS to damage the Tory vote.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,342
    edited April 2023

dixiedean said:

RCN rejects pay offer

54%.
    Strike April 30 -May 2.
    Apparently they have to ballot their members to continue strikes beyond those dates
    Turnout was only 61%

54% voted to reject.

So only 33% of total membership voted to reject.

So can they get more than 40% of total membership to vote for more strikes?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,822
    ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

10,000 people watched

That's a lot of words to fail to tell you what he was indicted with and executed for.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

dixiedean said:

RCN rejects pay offer

54%.
    Strike April 30 -May 2.
    What was the turnout in result announced today?

Key question will be can they get more than 40% of total membership to vote for more strikes?
    61% voted and 54% of them rejected the deal
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,958

Phil said:

Fuck this,

Britons should consider not flushing the lavatory after urinating and taking shorter showers to secure future water supplies, according to a senior water executive.

Cathryn Ross, strategy and regulatory affairs director at the UK’s biggest water company, Thames Water, said today’s water consumption levels were “unsustainable” in the long term. The average Briton uses 142 litres a day, with Ross’s customers slightly higher at 146 litres.

Despite Britain’s image as a wet and rainy country, experts are increasingly concerned that climate change, population growth and a dry southeast will risk future water supplies without significant interventions. There is a one in four chance that large numbers of households will have their water supply cut for an extended period due to drought in the next 30 years, the government’s infrastructure adviser warned last month.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/save-water-don-t-flush-after-a-wee-urges-utilities-director-clean-it-up-g68sk2jh7

Their pipes lose about 25-30% of all water, they dont build reservoirs for the for a growing population, they pollute the rivers they dont suck dry and then tell you its for you to fix the problem by using less and being charged more for it. In the meantime the directors approve unjustified dividends and pay themselves multimillion pound salaries

Rather than actually do their job of providing water the run pratty marketing campaigns and vitue signalling twaddle.

To be slightly fair to them on the reservoirs thing, hasn’t the plan to build a proper reservoir somewhere near Abingdon been held up in interminable planning delays by local NIMBYs for decades at this point?

yes it has. But that's one reservoir and theyve had 30 years to build what the Thames area needs.

Even if they fixed their leaky pipes that would be the equivalent of several reservoirs

The entire Abingdon Reservoir thing is a red herring for the balance sheet. It's supposed to be a bunded super-reservoir thirty times the size of the median reservoir (that wouldn't be completed for decades, if at all), filled solely from the Thames in a water-stressed area, wouldn't be resilient to long-term droughts, the rationale for it has changed four times at least in the past few years, and they're using it to resist the pressure to follow the National Infrastructure Commission's recommendations.

Which are to complete a National Grid of water and connect the dry regions to the wet ones (the North West has six times the rainfall, a third the population, and 118 reservoirs already). But that wouldn't be profitable nor would it provide a big balance sheet boost to add to the share value. It'd provide two to three times as much new water into the water-stressed area as the super-reservoir, be built in a fraction of the time, affect far fewer people negatively, and be far more likely to come in on time and budget (being made from modular parts).

And the entire discussion and all those points fade away. Thames Water are likely to get what they're after, and the National Water Grid disappears into a distant and unlikely future (because as soon as the Severn-Thames link is made, any business case for their super-reservoir vanishes). And we will get those droughts, because you can't get that super-reservoir built and filled before the 2050s at best (and it's not drought-resilient in any case). But Abingdon will get repeatedly flooded, but hey, it's for the shareholders.
    Precisely

Ive just spent 3 years woeking in the water sector and its a complete shambles. Of wat just let the utilities run rings round them. This will only straighten itself out when the regulator makes them sort their shit out ( literally ). There is absolutley no reason why our water network should be this disfunctional.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,467
    boulay said:

Am I the only person who finds the whole Biden “Who do you think you are” tour of Ireland episode is quite odd? Can you imagine the uproar if a European leader used huge national resources, State jet, security etc at massive cost to go and meet some people he was related to 170 years ago?

Waiting for Rishi to use the King’s flight to visit distant ancestors in India - I’m sure it will get positive coverage.

Surprised Trump hasn’t kicked off about it as a bit of an open goal, yes 30m Americans think they are Irish but that means millions more aren’t.

Bit odd really if he's not getting a lot of work done at the same time (and is not on holiday).

The USA seems (mostly) to have managed to combine intense patriotism and identity, as Americans, with what over here might seem like a strong overemphasis on background ("My great grandad was from Italy, so I'm Italian[american]"). It's quite impressive and positive to have managed that.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

dixiedean said:

RCN rejects pay offer

54%.
    Strike April 30 -May 2.
    Turnout was only 61%

54% voted to reject.

So only 33% of total membership voted to reject.

So can they get more than 40% of total membership to vote for more strikes?
    As Unison have accepted with a 74% vote it seems difficult and the government is already expressing disappointed that a minority of RCN members rejected the deal
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,342
    edited April 2023

MikeL said:

dixiedean said:

RCN rejects pay offer

54%.
    Strike April 30 -May 2.
    What was the turnout in result announced today?

Key question will be can they get more than 40% of total membership to vote for more strikes?
    61% voted and 54% of them rejected the deal
    Thanks - yes, just edited my previous post.

So only 33% of total membership voted to reject deal.

They will need 40% of total membership in any future strike vote.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

10,000 people watched

That's a lot of words to fail to tell you what he was indicted with and executed for.
    It does seem to be extra-verbose when you ask it something borderline 'iffy'.
  • Options
    Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

10,000 people watched

I was on GPT4 (via ChatGPT). Were you using a different portal?

Your answer looks much more accurate. Have you checked? Is it?
    Just plain old ChatGPT. Wikipedia gives it a tick - that's about as in-depth as I fact-checked it. And yes, that it's come to this.

I found your original question further down-thread "When did the UK last have the peacetime death penalty for anything other than murder/treason?"

"The UK gradually reduced the number of crimes punishable by the death penalty throughout the 19th and 20th centuries. By the mid-20th century, the death penalty was predominantly reserved for cases of murder and treason.

The Criminal Justice Act 1948 abolished the death penalty for several non-murder crimes, such as piracy with violence and causing explosions. The death penalty for arson in a Royal Dockyard was abolished in 1971 by the Criminal Damage Act 1971. However, this offense had been effectively obsolete for many years prior to its official abolition.

In the UK, the death penalty for murder was suspended for a five-year trial period under the Murder (Abolition of Death Penalty) Act 1965, which was made permanent in 1969. The death penalty for treason and piracy with violence was abolished in 1998 under the Crime and Disorder Act 1998."
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,222
    algarkirk said:

Leon said:

10,000 people watched

Thomas Hardy was taken to a public execution as a youth, and lived to 1928, writing late poems including references to motor cars. A lady I know has just died who was born in 1920. The past is both a foreign country, utterly alien, and is just next door.
    I dabble with my family history. One of my Victorian ancestors was a surgeon, who qualified after an apprenticeship as an apothecary and surgeon.
    He went on to get an MB from St Andrews after turning up and doing the exam!.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,907

Phil said:

Fuck this,

Precisely

Ive just spent 3 years woeking in the water sector and its a complete shambles. Of wat just let the utilities run rings round them. This will only straighten itself out when the regulator makes them sort their shit out ( literally ). There is absolutley no reason why our water network should be this disfunctional.
    Though I seem to remember we had just as much leakage and sewage problems before water was privatised. I can remember standpipes in the 70's
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,222
    Pagan2 said:

Phil said:

Fuck this,

Precisely

Though I seem to remember we had just as much leakage and sewage problems before water was privatised. I can remember standpipes in the 70's
    That was a consequence of drought!
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

Pagan2 said:

Phil said:

Fuck this,

Precisely

We had drought before global warming climate change the climate emergency?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,100
    Driver said:

Pagan2 said:

Phil said:

Fuck this,

Precisely

We had drought before global warming climate change the climate emergency?
    Investment in the nationalised industries was controlled by the Treasury.

Spending money long term didn’t happen - just band aids to get to the next election.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,340
    sarissa said:

Leon said:

Another prominent MSP who does not mention the SNP in her Twitter bio, despite being Cabinet Sec for blah de blah

https://twitter.com/ShonaRobison

It could be - probably is - sheer coincidence and/or nothing at all. But how delightful to speculate that the SNP is so fucked that they are going to disband and change their name

And another

https://twitter.com/AConstance23

And another

https://twitter.com/MathesonMichael

There are SNP proposals for a logo change to a more female- friendly image being discussed - maybe preparing for the big publicity(!) of a re-brand launch?
    More likely preparing for them going bankrupt.
This discussion has been closed.