Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

And you will fix this how, exactly? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,795
edited April 2023 in General
imageAnd you will fix this how, exactly? – politicalbetting.com

Criminal justice, especially for sexual offences against women and girls, is much in the news lately. See Labour’s ad accusing the Prime Minister of being soft on child abusers, remarkable since Sunak has been PM less than 6 months, not enough time for a sex abuse case to be investigated let alone go to trial. Not to be outdone, during his election campaign, Scotland’s new First Minister, promised to uphold women’s rights. He showed how much he meant it by being photographed with a large pink heart and the look of one who, having forgotten his partner’s birthday and wedding anniversary, hopes that a vulgarly large card with the reduced price sticker removed will allow him back into the marital bed. It is also because of some recent cases and what they tell us about the reality.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,851
    I know it's obvious but the whole point about the attack approach Labour is using is that it's the only one they can use that doesn't commit them to spending money - because there is no money available to spend on Justice.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,503
    The dog is demanding a pooh, so I will read once he has done his business. But good to have Cyclefree threads back.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,004
    @MarqueeMark "Crossover's coming, baby!"

Didn't know you were a micro-gricer :lol:
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,394
    eek said:

I know it's obvious but the whole point about the attack approach Labour is using is that it's the only one they can use that doesn't commit them to spending money - because there is no money available to spend on Justice.

And that's the problem with Labour. There should be money to spend, but they're afraid to raise it. And if they won't redistribute, what's the effing point in them?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,851
    pigeon said:

eek said:

And that's the problem with Labour. There should be money to spend, but they're afraid to raise it. And if they won't redistribute, what's the effing point in them?
    I don't think there is money at the moment.

We come back to the question for which I can't find the answer - Why are we paying more in tax then ever before yet our public sector / services are so dire...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,302
    Who says anything needs fixing? Let's just talk about it some more.

Money might not solve all problems, but quite a few problems could be ameliorated for relatively little money on justice. But in a GE talking tough is all that really matters.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,760
    edited April 2023
    Well said Mrs @Cyclefree, as always.

Not a fan of gutter politics, and sad that the UK is going down the US route of extreme attacks on opponents. It shouldn’t be particularly difficult to come to a consensus on the issues facing the Justice department. Thankfully, the UK has not yet gone down the route of elected DAs, and executive appointment of judges along partisan lines.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,297
    eek said:

There is. One is talking of hundreds of millions of pounds, not billions, to put the system right. It's an area where expenditure generates a really good return.

The question is why do governments not treat criminal justice as being important?
  • Options
    Dominic Raab is a contemptible little shit, no wonder the criminal justice system is a mess.

Dominic Raab could potentially face proceedings for contempt of court after high court judges ruled that he acted unlawfully by stopping prison and probation staff in England and Wales from recommending whether a prisoner was fit for release or transfer to open conditions.

The justice secretary made the change to the Parole Board rules last year, claiming they would ensure there would be one “overarching” Ministry of Justice (MoJ) recommendation and avoid conflicting views.

However, the amendment, which was criticised by unions, was successfully challenged at the high court by two prisoners, Adrian Bailey and Perry Morris, with Lady Justice Macur and Mr Justice Chamberlain finding that it was unlawful.

The two judges also said refusing to answer a question posed by the Parole Board as to whether a prisoner was suitable for release or transfer to open conditions could amount to contempt of court. They further raised the prospect that Raab could be guilty of contempt of court if he was deemed to have instructed witnesses not to answer.

In a written judgment, published just before the Easter weekend, Macur and Chamberlain wrote: “We concluded in our first judgment that guidance issued under the authority of the secretary of state instructed HMPPS [His Majesty’s Prison and Probation Service] witnesses to refuse to comply with the board’s directions and to refuse to answer its oral questions in circumstances where the refusal could amount to a breach of the witness’s legal obligation.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/apr/11/dominic-raab-could-face-action-for-contempt-of-court-judges-say
  • Options
    eek said:

pigeon said:

eek said:

We come back to the question for which I can't find the answer - Why are we paying more in tax then ever before yet our public sector / services are so dire...
    The “Department” of Debt Interest, currently bigger than defence and education combined.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,349
    eek said:

The state pension costs over £100bn and we have chosen over a 10% increase.

The whole public order and safety budget is £42bn.

If state pensions had gone up by 5% that would have allowed an extra £5bn to increase public order and safety by more than 10%.

These are choices that are made, not dead ends that must be arrived at.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,855

The dog is demanding a pooh, so I will read once he has done his business. But good to have Cyclefree threads back.

Dogs eh. I'm in the pub monitoring the dog who suffers from separation anxiety. Not going well. Currently imitating a wolf (the dog, not me).
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,297
    eek said:

pigeon said:

eek said:

The GFC, Covid, and Ukraine, in no particular order, produced big spikes in borrowing.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,033
    eek said:

pigeon said:

eek said:

There's probably an inverse correlation between the number of people with "delivery" in their job titles, and the number of people who are actually delivering tangible outcomes.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,118
    Good article, as always, Cyclefree.

Empty bluster. - which is what quite a few of us said when the poster was originally published.

I don't know what realistic hopes one might have of an incoming Labour Home Secretary.

Cooper has at least chaired the Home Affairs select committee for five years, and is old enough not to be a realistic contender to succeed Starmer, so has little need to pander like a Braverman.
    And it's notable she had no knowledge of the poster campaign.

She might even surprise us.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Good article, as always, Cyclefree.

Empty bluster. - which is what quite a few of us said when the poster was originally published.

I don't know what realistic hopes one might have of an incoming Labour Home Secretary.

Cooper has at least chaired the Home Affairs select committee for five years, and is old enough not to be a realistic contender to succeed Starmer, so has little need to pander like a Braverman.
    And it's notable she had no knowledge of the poster campaign.

She might even surprise us.

She’ll sure as hell surprise any voters moving towards the red team this week, who think that the government’s problem is that they’re insufficiently tough on crime.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,228
    FPT re: hanging dolls

I’m aware of a former Cabinet Member who, at the age of 15, decided that his 10 year old sister was too old for dolls.

So he hung them* from a branch and shot them

* to be clear I meant the dolls…
  • Options

Dominic Raab is a contemptible little shit, no wonder the criminal justice system is a mess.

Dominic Raab could potentially face proceedings for contempt of court after high court judges ruled that he acted unlawfully by stopping prison and probation staff in England and Wales from recommending whether a prisoner was fit for release or transfer to open conditions.

The justice secretary made the change to the Parole Board rules last year, claiming they would ensure there would be one “overarching” Ministry of Justice (MoJ) recommendation and avoid conflicting views.

However, the amendment, which was criticised by unions, was successfully challenged at the high court by two prisoners, Adrian Bailey and Perry Morris, with Lady Justice Macur and Mr Justice Chamberlain finding that it was unlawful.

The two judges also said refusing to answer a question posed by the Parole Board as to whether a prisoner was suitable for release or transfer to open conditions could amount to contempt of court. They further raised the prospect that Raab could be guilty of contempt of court if he was deemed to have instructed witnesses not to answer.

In a written judgment, published just before the Easter weekend, Macur and Chamberlain wrote: “We concluded in our first judgment that guidance issued under the authority of the secretary of state instructed HMPPS [His Majesty’s Prison and Probation Service] witnesses to refuse to comply with the board’s directions and to refuse to answer its oral questions in circumstances where the refusal could amount to a breach of the witness’s legal obligation.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/apr/11/dominic-raab-could-face-action-for-contempt-of-court-judges-say

I find it hard to see how even a fool came up with that decision - how could it possibly be reasonable to prevent relevant professionals from providing their professional view to a body for whom it would be quite relevant indeed?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

eek said:

pigeon said:

eek said:

The GFC, Covid, and Ukraine, in no particular order, produced big spikes in borrowing.
    That answers the first part of the question. Not why so many services are so dire, and often getting worse.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,524

eek said:

pigeon said:

eek said:

There's probably an inverse correlation between the number of people with "delivery" in their job titles, and the number of people who are actually delivering tangible outcomes.
    Read the Mythical Man Month - the example from Robert Heinlein’s “The Man Who Sold The Moon” is very apposite.

Find a small number of high skilled and well motivated people. Let them lose.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,228
    eek said:

pigeon said:

eek said:

Because of the way politics works in the UK (and much of the west I assume)

There is never a review of what governments *should* be doing. They just do what they did last year and add a bit more. Costs inexorably creep up and performance declines. It’s now reached a point of real stress. But no one is brave enough to advocate for meaningful change - inertia is the strongest force in the universe after all.

I sometimes dream of a world where governments determined what they *should* be doing from an outcomes perspective and then figure out how best to implement and find those objectives.

• Options
    Note the one in the top right hand corner.

https://twitter.com/haveigotnews/status/1645728443848433667
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,096
    edited April 2023

FPT re: hanging dolls

I’m aware of a former Cabinet Member who, at the age of 15, decided that his 10 year old sister was too old for dolls.

So he hung them* from a branch and shot them

* to be clear I meant the dolls…

When my older daughter was tiny she had a huge teddy bear that, when she came over to stay, she would formally sit at the dinner table like he was joining us for lunch. In the end I just let it sit there all the time, as it reminded me sweetly of her, and her childhood, as she grew up and got over such things. It was clearly visible to anyone that passed my flat

Then a friend told me that a stuffed toy in the window is a signal that pedophiles use to tell other pedos they are there

I hastily removed it in a panic. I have no idea to this day if he was winding me up, or repeating an urban myth, or telling the truth.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

eek said:

There is. One is talking of hundreds of millions of pounds, not billions, to put the system right. It's an area where expenditure generates a really good return.

The question is why do governments not treat criminal justice as being important?
    Good question. It's easy to see how spending on things like legal aid gets attacked as helping criminals, even though that is a silly way of looking at it, but the general reductions in budget are less explicable, since it doesn't save that much even on its own terms, never mind the delays and problems it causes.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,306
    kle4 said:

I find it hard to see how even a fool came up with that decision - how could it possibly be reasonable to prevent relevant professionals from providing their professional view to a body for whom it would be quite relevant indeed?
    They do it all the time in education.
  • Options

eek said:

pigeon said:

eek said:

There is never a review of what governments *should* be doing. They just do what they did last year and add a bit more. Costs inexorably creep up and performance declines. It’s now reached a point of real stress. But no one is brave enough to advocate for meaningful change - inertia is the strongest force in the universe after all.

I sometimes dream of a world where governments determined what they *should* be doing from an outcomes perspective and then figure out how best to implement and find those objectives.

What we need is real competition in public services.

No, not privatisation.

Have 2 (or more DVLAs). You can pick which DVLA you renew your driving license with. Their budget is literally how much work they get from the customers.

No customers, no money.
  • Options

eek said:

pigeon said:

eek said:

It would probably involve Tory supporters not losing their heads and kicking out the likes of Ken Clarke and Rory Stewart for Boris, Truss, Patel and Bravermann.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,894

@MarqueeMark "Crossover's coming, baby!"

Didn't know you were a micro-gricer :lol:

Not so many as in the old days. Newcastle is not the same as it was.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,249
    Sadly, far too few young boys have a positive male role model in their lives. Accepting that there may not be one in their family circle, what, if any, effort is made to increase the number of male primary school teachers and early years workers?
  • Options

eek said:

pigeon said:

eek said:

No, not privatisation.

Have 2 (or more DVLAs). You can pick which DVLA you renew your driving license with. Their budget is literally how much work they get from the customers.

No customers, no money.
    You mean, like trains? How the Tories set up competition in them? Like train companies travelling between Edinburgh and London compete with train companies doing Paddington and Bristol?
  • Options

Sadly, far too few young boys have a positive male role model in their lives. Accepting that there may not be one in their family circle, what, if any, effort is made to increase the number of male primary school teachers and early years workers?

The way things are, you're lucky to have enough decent ones, never mind whether they are male, female, something else, or Vogon.
  • Options
    I said Rishi was all fart and no follow through on the boats, here's more proof.

• Options

Note the one in the top right hand corner.

https://twitter.com/haveigotnews/status/1645728443848433667

If it was your idea, where was the one about Die Hard not being a Christmas movie?
  • Options
    edited April 2023

It was a welcome fillip to read the title of this article and feel certain that it had been written by Cyclefree.

It was quite short too. Certainly compared to my magnum opus on cricket.

Did I mention by the way that Yorkshire were not favourites for the second division title?

(Now I've said that Gloucestershire will lose by an innings on Saturday.)
  • Options
    I don't wish alarm PBers but the talk in Trump world is to crash the banking system.

Every Trumper goes to their bank and asks to withdraw all their money.

This will lead to bank runs.

Received this in a working briefing paper a few hours ago.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,902
    As I understand it, the current legal definition of sexual assault, dating back to 2003, is based on consent. Consequently, lots of sexual encounters can potentially fall under the definition of sexual assault or rape whereas previously they would not have been regarded as such. The threshold for a legitimate complaint is low, but the threshold of proof for the police/prosecutors is very high - because a permitted defence is that the perpetrator had a 'reasonable belief' that there was consent, and then the crime has to obviously be proved 'beyond reasonable doubt'.

I would say that the current legal definition is a significant contributory factor in the difficulties in prosecuting these crimes and the consequential low conviction rates, and this needs to be taken in to account in any prospective reform. If the goal is to increase prosecutions, the one obvious change I can think of would be to change the test from 'beyond reasonable doubt' to one that is based on the 'balance of probabilities'. Obviously though that would be a fundamental change to the legal system, and not a path to be embarked on lightly.
  • Options

I don't wish alarm PBers but the talk in Trump world is to crash the banking system.

Even 100 million Americans withdrawing their fifty dollars surely wouldn't crash the system?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,990

I said Rishi was all fart and no follow through on the boats, here's more proof.

To be fair, even the fart is very small.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Even 100 million Americans withdrawing their fifty dollars surely wouldn't crash the system?
    Has the potential to cause runs on the smaller regional ones.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,635
    "98% of all sexual attacks are committed by men. The overwhelming majority of victims are female."

That's what the stats may show. I might tentatively suggest (and with knowledge that I might shouted down) that reporting of sexual attacks on men - by either men or women - are dramatically under-reported. The latter particularly: after all, a young lad having sex with an older lady is cool, isn't it, Mrs Robinson?

I mean to take nothing away from girls and women who are sexually abused by men. It's just that I have strong suspicions (from anecdotes) that the reporting of sexual abuse on men are under-reported. And whilst I have little doubt they are also under-reported on women, I do wonder about the differential.
  • Options
    Hopefully, the actions of the CBI today will signal something other than "empty bluster". "Doing the right thing" doesn't have to require a big budget. It does need some leadership.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,954
    Always enjoy a @Cyclefree thread.

She is right of course that politicians of all stripes will the result but not the means. I can only speak about Scotland but I suspect my experience is replicated south of the border.

The Crown are putting huge resources into prosecuting sex crimes. More than 80% of all cases prosecuted in the High Court are now sex crimes.
    The police have got much better at dealing with such crimes. They go looking for corroboration from previous partners and they often find it, funnily enough.

It remains extremely difficult to prove a single complainer rape. How do you prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, guilt in what is typically a he said she said situation? Multiple complainers change the odds markedly. Prosecutors slightly cynically talk of the rule of 3. 3 complainers = conviction almost every time.
    But so many other parts of the system are creaking. For the system to work defence counsel are at least as important as prosecutors. But legal aid rates were fixed ( in Scotland) for nearly 20 years and then there was a below inflation increase. It’s really hard to make good money at the defence bar. Sex offenders are not allowed to do their own cases. No defence = no trial.
    The prison estate is stretched and clearly affecting sentencing.
    No one, let alone the present governments in Holyrood and Westminster, wants to spend money on these things. Let’s just argue for harsher sentences instead.
  • Options

"98% of all sexual attacks are committed by men. The overwhelming majority of victims are female."

That's what the stats may show. I might tentatively suggest (and with knowledge that I might shouted down) that reporting of sexual attacks on men - by either men or women - are dramatically under-reported. The latter particularly: after all, a young lad having sex with an older lady is cool, isn't it, Mrs Robinson?

I mean to take nothing away from girls and women who are sexually abused by men. It's just that I have strong suspicions (from anecdotes) that the reporting of sexual abuse on men are under-reported. And whilst I have little doubt they are also under-reported on women, I do wonder about the differential.

Whilst I'm sure there is some of what you describe, I strongly suspect (again anecdotally) that you are underestimating the level of under-reporting by women to an enormous degree.
  • Options

Putin has given them their orders, huh?
  • Options
    darkage said:

As I understand it, the current legal definition of sexual assault, dating back to 2003, is based on consent. Consequently, lots of sexual encounters can potentially fall under the definition of sexual assault or rape whereas previously they would not have been regarded as such. The threshold for a legitimate complaint is low, but the threshold of proof for the police/prosecutors is very high - because a permitted defence is that the perpetrator had a 'reasonable belief' that there was consent, and then the crime has to obviously be proved 'beyond reasonable doubt'.

I would say that the current legal definition is a significant contributory factor in the difficulties in prosecuting these crimes and the consequential low conviction rates, and this needs to be taken in to account in any prospective reform. If the goal is to increase prosecutions, the one obvious change I can think of would be to change the test from 'beyond reasonable doubt' to one that is based on the 'balance of probabilities'. Obviously though that would be a fundamental change to the legal system, and not a path to be embarked on lightly.

The best way to increase conviction rates is to abolish jury trials for sexual offences. Normal people are seriously reluctant to send someone down for years on the basis of he said / she said; letting the legal professionals deal with it would be much better for the police clear up stats, the Home Office productivity stats and the charities wanting to see more men in prison for a date that went badly.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,282

If you can't withdraw all your money, it's not your money.

See also REITs limiting investor redemptions.
  • Options

Whilst I'm sure there is some of what you describe, I strongly suspect (again anecdotally) that you are underestimating the level of under-reporting by women to an enormous degree.
    The reality is that men, like women, are far more at risk of being sexually assaulted by a man than by a woman.
  • Options

eek said:

If state pensions had gone up by 5% that would have allowed an extra £5bn to increase public order and safety by more than 10%.

Of course, it's not just the total amount of public spending and where it is distributed that is at issue here. It's also the total amount of taxation and where that's taken from.

Labour really ought to be restructuring the tax take so that it extracts less from people on lower incomes and more from higher income households and from asset wealth, with a substantial overall net increase that can be used to begin repairing public services and making social security less stingy. A big part of the reason that they won't do this is their terror of upsetting the wealthy pensioner vote (even though wealthy pensioners are the Tories' base, not theirs, and they really oughtn't to give a flying wotsit about their opinions,) but Labour's apparent timidity and desire to ape Conservative fiscal policy goes well beyond the inexplicable desire to dole out endless triple-locked state pension hikes to the multi-millionaire septuagenarians of the stockbroker belt, and their acquiescence to the abolition of IHT on all but the richest estates. Why in the name of God has Reeves not announced the alignment of CGT and income tax bands as policy? Might resurrecting the 10p starter rate have some value? Instead of merely demanding a council tax freeze of the Tories, why not pledge to replace it with something more progressive (yes, cue screaming from pensioners in overpriced houses, I know...)

I dare say they can get some of what they want done through the magic wand of legislation and structural reforms, but at the end of the day the entire public realm is decaying and putting it right - creating services that can cope effectively, particularly with the immense burdens of an increasingly aged, ill and obese population - is going to cost a lot of money. Labour can only repair the state and relieve the pressure on poorer households through redistribution on a large scale. It should devise a series of major projects and aims, explain how they are going to be achieved and at what cost, and demonstrate that the burden will be borne by the wealthy and not by minimum wage earners. If it can gather together a voter coalition larger than that of the Tories - by inspiring young people, lower income households, poorer pensioners (who don't have assets, can't afford private healthcare when the NHS fails them, and could use means tested help,) working men and women who struggle to cover their costs and raise children, the vast legions of renters who face never being able to afford to retire - then it can win an election and enact wide-ranging and meaningful reform. And we're talking something rather more significant than a few state-owned wind turbines and replacing the House of Lords here.

Except I don't think Labour wants wide-ranging and meaningful reform. I think they want token change for the sake of appearances, to leave the existing settlement in place because ripping it up would be too much like hard work, and their ministerial salaries, offices and cars.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,902

I think you are probably right. The public understanding of sexual assault is very poor. Any sexual touching without consent, however joking or trivial, is sexual assault and a crime and has been so for 20 years. It is not just men who do this to women, it can of course also apply the other way around.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 56,949
    Superb piece.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

eek said:

pigeon said:

eek said:

The “Department” of Debt Interest, currently bigger than defence and education combined.
    Not quite; here's the pie chart from the Spring 2023 budget;

A lot of the spending on the right hand of the pie simply is what it is. Pensioners gonna pension. The NHS is generally accepted to be pretty good at cost control. The left hand side of the chart is pretty low-fat. Not perfect, but pretty low on things that can be cut without removing services.

Bottom line is that we've had four decades at least where, looking back, it might have been better to pay more tax than we did. We spent various windfalls (favourable dependency ratio, North Sea hydrocarbons, privatisation receipts, end of Cold War Peace Dividend and so on) as if they were recurring boons, not a one off bonus.

And now the music has stopped, and I'm not entirely sure where the money went.
    The housing market.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

eek said:

pigeon said:

eek said:

No, not privatisation.

No customers, no money.
    You mean, like trains? How the Tories set up competition in them? Like train companies travelling between Edinburgh and London compete with train companies doing Paddington and Bristol?
    There’s a bit of competition in trains - say London to Birmingham - but not much.

Strangely, when there is the possibility of competition, in schools and hospitals, people take their custom to the least shit one.
  • Options
    The key issue is the UK’s demographic burden, which is costly to service and - adding insult to injury - suppresses productivity growth too.

The solution is more migrants, preferably highly skilled and culturally assimilable ones.
    But that comes with an obligation to provide the supporting infrastructure and to make the cost of things like housing and childcare non-crippling.

Otherwise, the example of Japan (best case) and Italy (medium case) are what the UK has to look forward to.
  • Options

The key issue is the UK’s demographic burden, which is costly to service and - adding insult to injury - suppresses productivity growth too.

The solution is more migrants, preferably highly skilled and culturally assimilable ones.
    But that comes with an obligation to provide the supporting infrastructure and to make the cost of things like housing and childcare non-crippling.

Otherwise, the example of Japan (best case) and Italy (medium case) are what the UK has to look forward to.

Which is why our immigration is currently pushing 300k a year. And, despite the theatre of small boats, our government seems supremely relaxed about it.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,005

Er, why?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

darkage said:

The best way to increase conviction rates is to abolish jury trials for sexual offences. Normal people are seriously reluctant to send someone down for years on the basis of he said / she said; letting the legal professionals deal with it would be much better for the police clear up stats, the Home Office productivity stats and the charities wanting to see more men in prison for a date that went badly.
    It needs saying: the object of the exercise is not more convictions but more guilty men held to account for their vile , selfish behaviour. Every time you remove a safeguard you risk innocent people being sent to jail for some greater good.
    Imagine yourself in the dock in such a scenario and think about that.
    In he said/she said is it fairly inevitable that there is a trade off between innocent people sent to jail vs guilty people set free.

Anyone brave enough to suggest what the optimal or accepable ratio might be?

As horrible as it is for the innocent person, I think it is perhaps somewhere around 1 the innocent person for 100 guilty people area.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,595

We spent various windfalls (favourable dependency ratio, North Sea hydrocarbons, privatisation receipts, end of Cold War Peace Dividend and so on) as if they were recurring boons, not a one off bonus.

It is amazing to me how quickly a bit of luck turns into an expectation for virtually everyone and every organisation. It must be human nature to treat rare positive events such a way. No idea how you fix it though, it's damn hard to even get people to understand they are doing it, never mind actually changing their behaviour.

I just file it under my ever growing list of things that make me wonder how the hell civilization even exists today.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

darkage said:

It needs saying: the object of the exercise is not more convictions but more guilty men held to account for their vile , selfish behaviour. Every time you remove a safeguard you risk innocent people being sent to jail for some greater good.
    Obviously my first post was intended to be somewhat sarcastic, but to listen to the campaign groups the mere suggestion of an allegation should be enough to send a man down for years. Yes, it would be frightening as hell to be the man in the dock in that scenario.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

eek said:

pigeon said:

eek said:

A lot of the spending on the right hand of the pie simply is what it is. Pensioners gonna pension. The NHS is generally accepted to be pretty good at cost control. The left hand side of the chart is pretty low-fat. Not perfect, but pretty low on things that can be cut without removing services.

Bottom line is that we've had four decades at least where, looking back, it might have been better to pay more tax than we did. We spent various windfalls (favourable dependency ratio, North Sea hydrocarbons, privatisation receipts, end of Cold War Peace Dividend and so on) as if they were recurring boons, not a one off bonus.

Goodness only knows how we get out of this politically, because any party campaigning on that basis will get utterly tonked at the polls. Normally it takes complete catastophic failure of a nation to shake it out of delusions like this, and I'd rather not live through one of those, and I'm too old to emigrate.
    Debt interest is a shit sandwich.

I think we spend far too much on social protection, for what it's worth.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 13,104
    Evening all 😀

Another superb piece by @Cyclefree for which many thanks.

As is often the case, I’m left with the observation this is a set of related problems which need to be tackled as such and arguably as a non-partisan issue or series of issues.

The sexualisation of culture and society is in itself an enormous question which isn’t easy to resolve but when you get into questions of criminal justice I’m left to wonder why we have a politics where successive Home Secretaries compete to sound “tough” on crime.

It is, I suspect, one of those issues where rhetoric has supplanted reality and perception is everything. Fear dictates policy - the fear of not sounding tough enough and losing public support.

At street level in East London, I see no shortage of Police effort but I see that effort diluted by a lack of operational stations, a shortage of translators and an operational policy which requires a rapid mobile response but which has reduced or removed the community focus.

Yet I struggle with the question of why we should respect the Police when some in the community have no respect for anyone but themselves?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Which is why our immigration is currently pushing 300k a year. And, despite the theatre of small boats, our government seems supremely relaxed about it.
    Which might be easier to stomach if the wretched buggers on either side would commit to building enough homes - i.e. sticking them up at a faster rate than that at which the population is expanding, so that out-of-control prices can finally be reined in. But they aren't. And yet money can always be found to finance the triple lock. Quelle surprise.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

darkage said:

I know you are joking but there are plenty of ultra-feminists who want exactly that

It's one reason I sometimes enjoy the Trans-TERF wars in a guilty way. The man-hating feminists getting beaten up by men using their own hysterical, genderwoo logic
  • Options

When I was in my late teens or early twenties, I chatted to a close family friend. She told me that she had been sexually abused by a family member. Within a short period, I chatted to other female friends. Being somewhat forewarned and curious, I moved the conversation onto the topic. Two admitted as having been abused by family members. In one case, they told their immediate family, who sided with the abuser. Another bloke (wwc, from Yorkshire), said: "If they're old enough to bleed, they're old enough to f**k." About his niece.

I have no doubt that their stories were true; in the case of one, the lasses dad admitted she had told him.

None of these were reported. So I do believe underreporting, especially historical, is rife.

It's just that I've heard similar stories from men as well.

Fortunately for women society has mostly moved on. Back before (say) the 1970s, abuse of women was pretty much accepted. Like John Lennon, you could abuse a woman and it would be shrugged off by society (physical abuse, not sexual, in his case). John Peel got lauded when he died, despite his history. Such behaviour is now frowned on, and rightly so IMO.

I fear when it comes to men being abused, a different mindset kicks in amongst some. You get beaten up? Why, you should have been a 'man' and fought back! You have sex with someone in a situation you were uneasy about? Why, you're a stud!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

darkage said:

It's a joke
  • Options
    pigeon said:

DavidL said:

Which might be easier to stomach if the wretched buggers on either side would commit to building enough homes - i.e. sticking them up at a faster rate than that at which the population is expanding, so that out-of-control prices can finally be reined in. But they aren't. And yet money can always be found to finance the triple lock. Quelle surprise.
    The housing issue itself is not a money problem, but a planning dysfunction.

In a way, it’s another permutation of the problem that old people have a death grip on the political system.

Old people don’t want new housing, both in theory and in practice, and they vote against it in droves.
  • Options
    I see Josias has found a new campaigning platform.
  • Options

That is maybe not true. At all. The advent of seriously useful AI means the need for workers (and migrants) is going to decline, fast

I was in Bangkok airport a coupla weeks ago and noticed that they now have robot cleaners vacuuming and cleaning the floor. They do it really well, they do it tirelessly 24/7. You used to see women doing this, and quite a lot of them, presumably underpaid despite the tedium of the task. They've all gone

This process is going to repeat across economies and across all jobs, from humble cleaners to well paid solicitors to just about every job apart from vicars and hookers. And even the hookers are looking worried

So the optimum population levels for societies will plunge. Japan may have made exactly the right choice. Avoid the horrors and costs of mass immigration, keep society cohesive and crime free, automate everything. Bingo: a much nicer society, and a greener country, with lots more space
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,664
    Sandpit said:

eek said:

pigeon said:

eek said:

HOWEVER.

Inflation eats away at the real value of debt every year. To a certain extent, the interest charge is just a balance to that.
  • Options

Er, why?
    To bring down the whole corrupt system.
  • Options

eek said:

pigeon said:

eek said:

Read the Mythical Man Month - the example from Robert Heinlein’s “The Man Who Sold The Moon” is very apposite.

Find a small number of high skilled and well motivated people. Let them lose.
    Everyone should read the Mythical Man Month.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

eek said:

pigeon said:

eek said:

Goodness only knows how we get out of this politically, because any party campaigning on that basis will get utterly tonked at the polls. Normally it takes complete catastophic failure of a nation to shake it out of delusions like this, and I'd rather not live through one of those, and I'm too old to emigrate.

That’s very largely pensions though.
    Which both main parties are committed to ratcheting up at the expense of workers.
    About a third of the social security budget, half the health budget and the bulk of the social care budget is devoted to pensioners. Based on the figures given in the chart previously quoted, that puts the direct cost to the state of looking after old people at around £280bn per year.

Now, consider next that...

*accounting for housing costs (and yes, many pensioners still rent, but most are outright owner-occupiers,) the average pensioner household already has a higher income than the average working household
    *increases to the state pension, courtesy of the triple lock, will be greater than wage rises in most years, so that gap will continue to grow
    *taxation of earned incomes is considerably heavier than that of assets, especially properties and inheritances
    *both Labour and the Tories will keep ramping the taxation of earned incomes to fund pensioner benefits, whilst leaving assets well alone
    *the mean age of the population is still creeping inexorably upwards

The political class, collectively, is so bloody terrified of the grey vote that it will do nothing about any of this.

We, as a society, have basically had our chips.
  • Options

I see Josias has found a new campaigning platform.

???

I've been on PB for well over ten years. AFAICR I've said that anecdote several times over the years.

Now, you can either challenge that view, directly, or be a pathetic little shit and carp about a serious issue.

I guess you've chosen the latter approach. :(

Saying: "men get abused as well" should not take anything away from the experience women have. In fact, both may have common roots in societal issues and views. But I guess that's a little too complex for you to contemplate.
  • Options

Er, why?
    To prove that the Woke Dem banking model is broken!

• Options
    prh47bridgeprh47bridge Posts: 443
    darkage said:

That would be tackling the wrong problem. Around 70% of rape cases that get to court end in a conviction. The problem is that most cases don't get to court, the most common reason by far being the complainant withdrawing. If we really want to improve the conviction rate for rape (i.e. the proportion of reported rapes that lead to a conviction), we need to find out why so many women withdraw their complaints and do something about that. Is it because they hear the conviction rate statistic that is normally touted and think there is no point pursuing the matter? Is it because they don't want to go through a trial? The attitude of the police? Threats from their attacker? Or something else? If we knew that, we might be able to do something about it.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

eek said:

pigeon said:

eek said:

Which both main parties are committed to ratcheting up at the expense of workers.
    I'm not wedded to pensions.

Generally, I think people should look after themselves. I don't see that as heartless, I see it as individual responsibility which I think is better for a more prosperous and robust society.

I'd far rather invest public funds in science, education, skills retraining, defence, justice, foreign affairs and just a basic safety net.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,516
    Armenia and Azerbaijan are shooting each other again although the Armenians have acquired some Iranian drone tech so maybe they're a little more equal.

Seems like it will only escalate from here.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

pigeon said:

eek said:

About a third of the social security budget, half the health budget and the bulk of the social care budget is devoted to pensioners. Based on the figures given in the chart previously quoted, that puts the direct cost to the state of looking after old people at around £280bn per year.

*accounting for housing costs (and yes, many pensioners still rent, but most are outright owner-occupiers,) the average pensioner household already has a higher income than the average working household
    *increases to the state pension, courtesy of the triple lock, will be greater than wage rises in most years, so that gap will continue to grow
    *taxation of earned incomes is considerably heavier than that of assets, especially properties and inheritances
    *both Labour and the Tories will keep ramping the taxation of earned incomes to fund pensioner benefits, whilst leaving assets well alone

The political class, collectively, is so bloody terrified of the grey vote that it will do nothing about any of this.

True, but playing devil's advocate, is anyone really jealous of the old?

I might be of those retired and having fun in their early 60s but, generally, if you're retired you have physical ailments, and constraints, less income, can't do what you used to do, with death around the corner. Not sure it's that fun.

I'd far rather be young.
  • Options

darkage said:

That would be tackling the wrong problem. Around 70% of rape cases that get to court end in a conviction. The problem is that most cases don't get to court, the most common reason by far being the complainant withdrawing. If we really want to improve the conviction rate for rape (i.e. the proportion of reported rapes that lead to a conviction), we need to find out why so many women withdraw their complaints and do something about that. Is it because they hear the conviction rate statistic that is normally touted and think there is no point pursuing the matter? Is it because they don't want to go through a trial? The attitude of the police? Threats from their attacker? Or something else? If we knew that, we might be able to do something about it.
    They are very good questions, and I'd guess the questions are quire hard to accurately research. But they must have been done?
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    rcs1000 said:

Er, why?

So as Trump surveys his scorched world, he can with pride proclaim "I am master of all I can see".
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,392
    pigeon said:

eek said:

Of course, it's not just the total amount of public spending and where it is distributed that is at issue here. It's also the total amount of taxation and where that's taken from.

Labour really ought to be restructuring the tax take so that it extracts less from people on lower incomes and more from higher income households and from asset wealth, with a substantial overall net increase that can be used to begin repairing public services and making social security less stingy. A big part of the reason that they won't do this is their terror of upsetting the wealthy pensioner vote (even though wealthy pensioners are the Tories' base, not theirs, and they really oughtn't to give a flying wotsit about their opinions,) but Labour's apparent timidity and desire to ape Conservative fiscal policy goes well beyond the inexplicable desire to dole out endless triple-locked state pension hikes to the multi-millionaire septuagenarians of the stockbroker belt, and their acquiescence to the abolition of IHT on all but the richest estates. Why in the name of God has Reeves not announced the alignment of CGT and income tax bands as policy? Might resurrecting the 10p starter rate have some value? Instead of merely demanding a council tax freeze of the Tories, why not pledge to replace it with something more progressive (yes, cue screaming from pensioners in overpriced houses, I know...)

I dare say they can get some of what they want done through the magic wand of legislation and structural reforms, but at the end of the day the entire public realm is decaying and putting it right - creating services that can cope effectively, particularly with the immense burdens of an increasingly aged, ill and obese population - is going to cost a lot of money. Labour can only repair the state and relieve the pressure on poorer households through redistribution on a large scale. It should devise a series of major projects and aims, explain how they are going to be achieved and at what cost, and demonstrate that the burden will be borne by the wealthy and not by minimum wage earners. If it can gather together a voter coalition larger than that of the Tories - by inspiring young people, lower income households, poorer pensioners (who don't have assets, can't afford private healthcare when the NHS fails them, and could use means tested help,) working men and women who struggle to cover their costs and raise children, the vast legions of renters who face never being able to afford to retire - then it can win an election and enact wide-ranging and meaningful reform. And we're talking something rather more significant than a few state-owned wind turbines and replacing the House of Lords here.

Except I don't think Labour wants wide-ranging and meaningful reform. I think they want token change for the sake of appearances, to leave the existing settlement in place because ripping it up would be too much like hard work, and their ministerial salaries, offices and cars.
    I broadly agree, which is one reason I supported Corbyn (apart from some personal affection). A Labour Party not bent on movement in this direction is only worth supporting as "better than the Tories", which is why you see precisely that appeal highlighted in policy-light years.

That said, I think that it's right not to announce detailed policy, on CGT or anything else, 18 months before a probable election. We'll see what the party is made of next year.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

pigeon said:

eek said:

As someone has said, it’s a rest-home with a (collapsing) country attached.

A lot of countries have even worse demography but the electoral system of the UK, the universal benefits system, and potentially the media set-up, makes it an especial problem I think.

• Options

Armenia and Azerbaijan are shooting each other again although the Armenians have acquired some Iranian drone tech so maybe they're a little more equal.

Seems like it will only escalate from here.

There is a grim irony that Christian Armenia is being provided with weapons by fundie Muslim Iran to shoot at the Islamic Azerbaijan over the mixed Muslim and Christian provinces of the latter.

Just shows how screwed up politics in the former Soviet bloc can still be.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,033

pigeon said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

pigeon said:

eek said:

A lot of countries have even worse demography but the electoral system of the UK, the universal benefits system, and potentially the media set-up, makes it an especial problem I think.

Sounds like nothing an infinite amount of immigration can't fix.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

pigeon said:

eek said:

HOWEVER.

Inflation eats away at the real value of debt every year. To a certain extent, the interest charge is just a balance to that.
    Index-linked bonds say hello.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,004

rcs1000 said:

Er, why?

So as Trump surveys his scorched world, he can with pride proclaim "I am master of all I can see".
    "It's not about the money. It's about sending a message: EVERYTHING BURNS!"
  • Options

pigeon said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

pigeon said:

eek said:

Wait till the AI apocalypse happens - the last person with a job will be earning 3 trillion and 1 pounds and paying 3 trillion in tax….
  • Options

pigeon said:

DavidL said:

In a way, it’s another permutation of the problem that old people have a death grip on the political system.

Old people don’t want new housing, both in theory and in practice, and they vote against it in droves.
    They haven't got long left, and they don't want the construction disruption disturbing their peace in the time they do have left.

Sort of logical.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,983
    DavidL said:

Always enjoy a @Cyclefree thread.

She is right of course that politicians of all stripes will the result but not the means. I can only speak about Scotland but I suspect my experience is replicated south of the border.

The Crown are putting huge resources into prosecuting sex crimes. More than 80% of all cases prosecuted in the High Court are now sex crimes.
    The police have got much better at dealing with such crimes. They go looking for corroboration from previous partners and they often find it, funnily enough.

It remains extremely difficult to prove a single complainer rape. How do you prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, guilt in what is typically a he said she said situation? Multiple complainers change the odds markedly. Prosecutors slightly cynically talk of the rule of 3. 3 complainers = conviction almost every time.
    But so many other parts of the system are creaking. For the system to work defence counsel are at least as important as prosecutors. But legal aid rates were fixed ( in Scotland) for nearly 20 years and then there was a below inflation increase. It’s really hard to make good money at the defence bar. Sex offenders are not allowed to do their own cases. No defence = no trial.
    The prison estate is stretched and clearly affecting sentencing.
    No one, let alone the present governments in Holyrood and Westminster, wants to spend money on these things. Let’s just argue for harsher sentences instead.

Thanks for the perspective, very interesting comment.

I'd be amazed though if labour party don't increase legal aid rates. Starmer will understand these issues well.

Lammy has some plan to force law firms to do a minimum amount of pro bono hours to be eligible for govt contracts.

Sounds a bit contrived/complicated to me - any thoughts on whether you think that will work?
  • Options

pigeon said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

pigeon said:

eek said:

Three more letters to add: NHS.
  • Options

pigeon said:

DavidL said:

They haven't got long left, and they don't want the construction disruption disturbing their peace in the time they do have left.

Sort of logical.
    It may be logical but it’s suffocating the country into penury.
  • Options
    edited April 2023

Sandpit said:

eek said:

pigeon said:

eek said:

I'm not wedded to pensions.

Generally, I think people should look after themselves. I don't see that as heartless, I see it as individual responsibility which I think is better for a more prosperous and robust society.

I'd far rather invest public funds in science, education, skills retraining, defence, justice, foreign affairs and just a basic safety net.
    Well on your salary of a gazillion pounds a month you will be OK. Although you might need an armed gated community to keep out the thieving, scrounging destitute masses.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

pigeon said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

pigeon said:

eek said:

Three more letters to add: NHS.
    I didn’t include that because although I think the NHS is a major issue I don’t think that it essentially contributes to the problems I’m talking about.

I don’t see many (any?) countries that are delivering a more cost-effective NHS, even if might do a better job on overall quality.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,288
    DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

darkage said:

For many, it is about more convictions and harsher sentences. Efficacy, let alone justice, is at best a secondary consideration when considered at all.
  • Options

pigeon said:

eek said:

I broadly agree, which is one reason I supported Corbyn (apart from some personal affection). A Labour Party not bent on movement in this direction is only worth supporting as "better than the Tories", which is why you see precisely that appeal highlighted in policy-light years.

That said, I think that it's right not to announce detailed policy, on CGT or anything else, 18 months before a probable election. We'll see what the party is made of next year.
    "Better than the Tories" isn't enough to inspire participation by the less likely to vote demographic groups that Labour needs to rally to win an election, which is why I think the probability of Sunak carrying the next election is underestimated.

Labour is not going to get anywhere by wibbling in vague terms about reform and promising cost-free legislative tinkering to address deep-seated societal problems. I understand the desire not to give the Tories too much ammunition (or, indeed, ideas that they can steal if they prove popular,) but reform can and should be proposed in areas where Sunak and Hunt dare not follow. CGT is a classic example: show how much money can be raised, identify which priorities can be addressed with it, and dare the Tories to defend lenient treatment of the investment profits of their rich supporters, at a time when many households with two adults in work still have to go begging for scraps at food banks.

The entire Corbyn episode was a tragedy. A more credible leader, with better costed plans and free of all the fringe Middle Eastern baggage, would surely have seized enough seats from Theresa May to dismiss the Conservatives four years ago.
  • Options

darkage said:

A huge problem with rape is both parties having consumed alcohol/drugs. Women put themselves in a position where events happen without either party having much recall on whether consent was given. Regret can turn into a certainty that she wouldn't have had intercourse with that man. When sober. But she wasn't.

Men might allow their better (sober) judgment to become clouded by lust. They might well have superior physical force to enforce that lust.

The law then has to, er, insert itself and try and untangle that mess. It's hardly surprising that large numbers of prosecutions never happen. You could perhaps ensure that prosecutions happen if you have a legal assumption that if a woman says she wouldn't have consented in those circumstances, then she hasn't. But is that justice for men? No.

Perhaps we need a new offence that falls short of the draconian consequences of rape. One where consent cannot be ascertained, because one or both were not in a position to know if they had given it/received it. Where people (women) might be more inclined to prosecute
  • Options

darkage said:

A huge problem with rape is both parties having consumed alcohol/drugs. Women put themselves in a position where events happen without either party having much recall on whether consent was given. Regret can turn into a certainty that she wouldn't have had intercourse with that man. When sober. But she wasn't.

Men might allow their better (sober) judgment to become clouded by lust. They might well have superior physical force to enforce that lust.

The law then has to, er, insert itself and try and untangle that mess. It's hardly surprising that large numbers of prosecutions never happen. You could perhaps ensure that prosecutions happen if you have a legal assumption that if a woman says she wouldn't have consented in those circumstances, then she hasn't. But is that justice for men? No.

Perhaps we need a new offence that falls short of the draconian consequences of rape. One where consent cannot be ascertained, because one or both were not in a position to know if they had given it/received it. Where people (women) might be more inclined to prosecute
    "Men might allow their better (sober) judgment to become clouded by lust."

The problem is, that's not an excuse. In fact, it's almost a definition of ?most? rape cases.
This discussion has been closed.