Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

If I could turn back time – politicalbetting.com

13»

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Who could possibly have predicted?

21 Маrch
    Russia & China state: “All nuclear powers must not deploy their nuclear weapons beyond their national territories & must withdraw all nuclear weapons deployed abroad.”

25 March
    Putin states: Russia planning to station tactical nuclear weapons in Belarus.

https://twitter.com/BBCSteveR/status/1639726926138056707?cxt=HHwWhoDRkfS8vcEtAAAA

Not completely sure Russia regards Belarus as "abroad". See also Ukraine, Moldovia, Chechnya, etc etc
    As others have noted that is indeed true, but officially they believe otherwise for Belarus. At least for the moment.

Not that they mind looking ridiculous, but 'Country X is happy to have forces of Russia there' is an argument they might reflect on when they talk about NATO forces being stationed about the place.
    In fairness, I always thought that the Russians had a point when they were not allowed missiles in Cuba but the US had them in Turkey and western Europe. On one view the US position was more than a tad hypocritical.
    Well, yes, but then that's international relations for you - you can do what you can get away with.
  • Options

My suggestion for maximum lols is that we move the clocks forward 10 minutes each weekend over a period of 6 consecutive Sundays.

Just because.

I think we should change the clock every day so that dawn and dusk are both at 6

Daytime "hours" would get shorter in the winter, so night-time hours longer

A nine to five job would only take about four equinox (or "old") hours in the middle of winter, balanced with doing twelve hours in the summer

Sundials could make a resurgence
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    PS – I love Sweden, but my word, what kind of monster prefers the cold of winter over the warmth of summer?

Please try not to get too obviously silly in your attempts at satire. It spoils the effect.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,948
    dixiedean said:

eek said:

dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

This very much tallies with my experience.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/mar/26/children-put-at-risk-as-nhs-autism-assessments-are-cut-back

It isn't just ASD either. It is right across diagnostic services.
    Even with a diagnosis and an ECHP (a legally enforceable document, not a wishlist), there aren't the school places, or funding for staffing. And even where there is, the pay rate is making it nigh impossible to meet statutory obligations.

That's certainly the case here. Staffordshire have quite openly redefined 'one to one support' as 'there will be a TA somewhere in the room for up to five children' because they simply cannot get enough staff.
    Adding "where possible" on to the "1 to 1 support" on risk assessments.
    You can't do that. If you are mandated and funded for 1 to 1 it's a legal requirement. And therefore needs to be paid for at the market rate. Not minimum wage.
    It's rather like saying that no one will insure my car for the laughably low price I'm prepared to pay. So I'm going to drive regardless.
    I know. And so do they. But they're not willing to do anything about it. I'm not even sure they can afford to.

To give you some idea of how little room for manouvere they have, they advertised a job managing their social care team (repeat, managing) for £20,000 which would be reduced pro rata as it's mornings only.

And then were surprised when they had no applicants...
    Yep.
    Posts in the cushy Public Sector with an easy life and massive pensions increasingly aren't attracting any applicants whatsoever. We've had an HLTA post (19- 21k for 39 weeks pro rata) advertised since September. Not a sausage. Even unqualified.
    It's somewhat mysterious.
    That’s minimum wage level nowadays…

£10.42*37.5*52=£20,500 ish
    It's a post which requires 120 hours of study time over a year to qualify. Involves some teaching of Sixth Formers (particularly as cover), and have responsibility for two other staff. Plus to be effectively a form tutor for pastoral issues.
    For minimum wage.
    A quid an hour below Lidl.
    And unpaid holidays.
    MS Windows admin type I know who works in the education sector posted a job 'match' they'd had via Glassdoor the other week. It was for a gutter cleaner. Much "hoho'ing" about how that wasn't much different to being a Windows admin. Then he realised it was paying > 20% more than he was currently earning. Which rather cut down on the "hoho'ing".
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

21 Маrch
    Russia & China state: “All nuclear powers must not deploy their nuclear weapons beyond their national territories & must withdraw all nuclear weapons deployed abroad.”

25 March

https://twitter.com/BBCSteveR/status/1639726926138056707?cxt=HHwWhoDRkfS8vcEtAAAA

Not completely sure Russia regards Belarus as "abroad". See also Ukraine, Moldovia, Chechnya, etc etc
    As others have noted that is indeed true, but officially they believe otherwise for Belarus. At least for the moment.

Not that they mind looking ridiculous, but 'Country X is happy to have forces of Russia there' is an argument they might reflect on when they talk about NATO forces being stationed about the place.
    In fairness, I always thought that the Russians had a point when they were not allowed missiles in Cuba but the US had them in Turkey and western Europe. On one view the US position was more than a tad hypocritical.
    Well, yes, but then that's international relations for you - you can do what you can get away with.
    Even the "your own country" is not a neutral position. A vast continent-spanning country like Russia can get much more strategic benefit from a restrictive rule like "nukes only in your own country". Russia's prescription is, intentionally or not, a recipe for proliferation. Do we want a world where Poland, South Korea, Iran, and Syria have control over nuclear weapons?
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980
    edited March 2023
    Tres said:

Having just watched Aqua - Turn Back Time again it seems to be filmed largely at Bank/Holborn tube stations and there's an awful lot of Gwyneth Paltrow in it.

Didn't remember that.

Sliding Doors soundtrack wasn't it?
    While poor films can be around 10-20% better by virtue of casting Michelle Pfeiffer, good films lose a similar amount by casting Gwneth Paltrow.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

21 Маrch

25 March

The strong do as they will, the weak as they must. What's hugely galling for the Russian leadership is to discover that they are now among the weak.
  • Options

My suggestion for maximum lols is that we move the clocks forward 10 minutes each weekend over a period of 6 consecutive Sundays.

Just because.

I think we should change the clock every day so that dawn and dusk are both at 6

A nine to five job would only take about four equinox (or "old") hours in the middle of winter, balanced with doing twelve hours in the summer

This is the old way. I believe "noon" comes from Latin for "nine", that is the ninth hour of daylight. Don't quite understand how that can refer to 12pm other than in the far north but that's where it comes from.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,997
    Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Labour surge Klaxon rebuttal, unless they are all paying a penny.......
    Since the independence referendum, Labour’s membership revenue has dropped by 30%, and 2021 accounts highlight only £80k in subs! https://dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/scottish-labour-crisis-after-leaked-23431174

TBF that's Slab only and in 2021 - though indyref was soon followed by Corbymania which must complicate things in that it presumably went up for a bit.
    Afternoon Carnyx, I was pointing out how bad Scottish Labour was after all the hype on here about how they were surging and about to gain 25 seats etc. Meanwhile in teh real world they would struggle to fill a bus.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,347
    malcolmg said:

Dura_Ace said:

My Aunty used to have Nitrous Oxide when she went to the dentist. I don't know how much it is used nowadays. Is it ever given to children?

Dentists don't administer general anesthetic in the practice these days. If Mrs DA wants to render a patient unconscious she tells them what their bill is going to be.
    Given bills I just paid for bone grafting and bridge etc for my wife I can imagine they would be out for a considerable period.
    All dentists are lying, money grabbing #####. Lots of people being talked into unnecessary procedures to line their pockets. Nationalise them and give them a salary.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Since the independence referendum, Labour’s membership revenue has dropped by 30%, and 2021 accounts highlight only £80k in subs! https://dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/scottish-labour-crisis-after-leaked-23431174

TBF that's Slab only and in 2021 - though indyref was soon followed by Corbymania which must complicate things in that it presumably went up for a bit.
    Afternoon Carnyx, I was pointing out how bad Scottish Labour was after all the hype on here about how they were surging and about to gain 25 seats etc. Meanwhile in teh real world they would struggle to fill a bus.
    Wait til you see Alba's polling numbers
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,296
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

But you don't use Scottish labour members to fill a bus, do you? You use diesel.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/mar/26/children-put-at-risk-as-nhs-autism-assessments-are-cut-back

Even with a diagnosis and an ECHP (a legally enforceable document, not a wishlist), there aren't the school places, or funding for staffing. And even where there is, the pay rate is making it nigh impossible to meet statutory obligations.

That's certainly the case here. Staffordshire have quite openly redefined 'one to one support' as 'there will be a TA somewhere in the room for up to five children' because they simply cannot get enough staff.
    You can't do that. If you are mandated and funded for 1 to 1 it's a legal requirement. And therefore needs to be paid for at the market rate. Not minimum wage.
    It's rather like saying that no one will insure my car for the laughably low price I'm prepared to pay. So I'm going to drive regardless.
    I know. And so do they. But they're not willing to do anything about it. I'm not even sure they can afford to.

To give you some idea of how little room for manouvere they have, they advertised a job managing their social care team (repeat, managing) for £20,000 which would be reduced pro rata as it's mornings only.

The central mystery of the current public sector pay wars.

Suppose the government wins a non-trivial reduction in public sector pay compared with prices or the private sector.

What do they think is going to happen next?

(And I know, you know, we all know they don't think like that, but the question doesn't go away.)
    There seems to be a certain salary level below which market forces are assumed not to apply.
    It is important to remember that rich people need to be paid more in order to motivate them, while poor people are better motivated to work by cutting their income.
    Which is why the "Agreeing to work for a fake company for 10k a day" story is so depressingly familiar.

Failed ministers who really think they are worth so much more than ordinaries.
    But if they are getting that sort of money then the organisations which are paying them must think they are worth it.

So what are those organisations getting in return for the £10k per day ?

Or perhaps the £10k per day is instead a payment for services already provided when they were in government.

This is particularly likely among finance ministers knowing if they 'play nicely' with the financial institutions they can expect many millions in return once they leave office.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632

The thing about NO abuse is that I keep on seeing discarded cylinders on the ground in random places. If they want to damage themselves doing drugs, then the least the little sh*ts could do is pick up their litter ... ;)

They are now dumping the large cylinders too. These cause a bit of a problem when they go bang in Energy from Waste* plants.

*Incinerators, if you prefer.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801

Just because.

THat's the old style Roman hours. But it wouldn't work for sundials (because the shadows would be in the same place at 0900 and 1800 GMT, which wouldn't work for Roman hours).
  • Options
    Here's a revolutionary idea: don't change the clock, change the hours of business, or whatever activity, if need be.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311
    Carnyx said:

Just because.

THat's the old style Roman hours. But it wouldn't work for sundials (because the shadows would be in the same place at 0900 and 1800 GMT, which wouldn't work for Roman hours).
    Do you think that Useless will win on the first ballot tomorrow? I suspect that he will get very few transfers from Regan so it might get close if he doesn't. I think he will end up with about 60% myself.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    Scottish Green Party leader warns the SNP "sincere commitment to progressive values cannot be an optional extra in a choice of first minister", saying instead that this was "necessity".

Suggests the Scottish Greens will withdraw support from the SNP minority government if the SNP elect Kate Forbes their leader tomorrow
    https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/snp-leadership-greens-clearest-signal-yet-they-wouldnt-work-with-kate-forbes-4079467
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980
    HYUFD said:

Scottish Green Party leader warns the SNP "sincere commitment to progressive values cannot be an optional extra in a choice of first minister", saying instead that this was "necessity".

Suggests the Scottish Greens will withdraw support from the SNP minority government if the SNP elect Kate Forbes their leader tomorrow
    https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/snp-leadership-greens-clearest-signal-yet-they-wouldnt-work-with-kate-forbes-4079467

The loss of Patrick Harvie from frontline Scottish politics would indeed be a blow.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,229
    Chris said:

Here's a revolutionary idea: don't change the clock, change the hours of business, or whatever activity, if need be.

Hungary and Spain are in the same timezone. Hungary working days starts before 8. Spain after 10.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

Just because.

Do you think that Useless will win on the first ballot tomorrow? I suspect that he will get very few transfers from Regan so it might get close if he doesn't. I think he will end up with about 60% myself.
    To my mind it depends so much on how many of the members are from the pre-rapprochement-with-SGs era and are more likely to vote for Ms Forbes or Ms Regan. The big increase in numbers came about in the immediate aftermath of indyref1 and that was pretty much before the shift to the left and the adoption of gender politics as a figurehead policy (and, it should be said, the comcomitant jettisoning by the Tories of Mrs May's trans reform policy in order to go all wokefinding on it).

I think if Mr Yousaf doesn't get 50% + 1 there is a good chanve that he has lost it. And I'm not sure he will manage that at all.
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,253
    edited March 2023
    Farooq said:

Just because.

This is the old way. I believe "noon" comes from Latin for "nine", that is the ninth hour of daylight. Don't quite understand how that can refer to 12pm other than in the far north but that's where it comes from.
    If it's measured by the eariest dawn of the year, and if we call that the time when nautical twilight becomes civil twilight.. in Rome, that happens at five - when the clocks have gone forward, so really four

The ninth hour starts eight hours later
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

Just because.

To my mind it depends so much on how many of the members are from the pre-rapprochement-with-SGs era and are more likely to vote for Ms Forbes or Ms Regan. The big increase in numbers came about in the immediate aftermath of indyref1 and that was pretty much before the shift to the left and the adoption of gender politics as a figurehead policy (and, it should be said, the comcomitant jettisoning by the Tories of Mrs May's trans reform policy in order to go all wokefinding on it).

I think if Mr Yousaf doesn't get 50% + 1 there is a good chanve that he has lost it. And I'm not sure he will manage that at all.
    Last SNP members poll had Yousaf on under 50% at 46%, Forbes was on 37% and Regan on 17%, so Regan's transfers would be decisive tomorrow.

While Yousaf was ahead with well over 50% with SNP members under 50, SNP members 55-64 backed Forbes with 51% on the first ballot. Forbes also led Yousaf by 10% with SNP members over 65
    https://savanta.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/P029532_SNP_Members_Survey_WTD_Tables_20230302_Private-003.xlsx
  • Options

HYUFD said:

The loss of Patrick Harvie from frontline Scottish politics would indeed be a blow.
    It would be a tremendous blow for ecology.

In which direction, I'll leave up to you.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,488
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

Just because.

Last SNP members poll had Yousaf on under 50% at 46%, Forbes was on 37% and Regan on 17%, so Regan's transfers would be decisive tomorrow.

While Yousaf was ahead with well over 50% with SNP members under 50, SNP members 55-64 backed Forbes with 51% on the first ballot. Forbes also led Yousaf by 10% with SNP members over 65
    https://savanta.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/P029532_SNP_Members_Survey_WTD_Tables_20230302_Private-003.xlsx
    As with the Conservative Summer 2022 leadership election, not easy to see a good outcome from those figures.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

But you don't use Scottish labour members to fill a bus, do you? You use diesel.
    Diesel would have more chance of winning than those turkeys for sure
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    Tres said:

Chris said:

Hungary and Spain are in the same timezone. Hungary working days starts before 8. Spain after 10.
    Taiwan remains resolutely on Chinese time. So has the same hours as Xinjiang in Central Asia.
    Therefore it gets both light and dark earlier than it really should year round.
    A great deal of shopping and socialising takes place in the dark year round. Can't remember ever going to work in the dark. But regularly came home in it in the Winter.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

Just because.

As with the Conservative Summer 2022 leadership election, not easy to see a good outcome from those figures.
    Anything that means Useless is dumped and sent as far from any decision making as possible is an improvement.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Diesel would have more chance of winning than those turkeys for sure
    I agree. No need for us to have a bussed up over it.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

Just because.

The good outcomes for the SNP in light of recent events are....

Ummm...

Well....

You know....

And that's involving the figures or not.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,110
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

21 Маrch

25 March

The strong do as they will, the weak as they must. What's hugely galling for the Russian leadership is to discover that they are now among the weak.
    You mean the Greater Siberia Special Admimistrative Region?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

Just because.

Anything that means Useless is dumped and sent as far from any decision making as possible is an improvement.
    And if he wins...?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

Just because.

Only if it is as rigged as it looks David. I think as the game is up they moved to supporting Forbes with guarantee she would give Uselss a job. Forbes is not likely to uncover all the criminal acts that are hanging about. Still some fun to come when the court cases start, see which of the rats will start grassing on each other as the UK fraud squad close in and their local pals cannot help out.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

Just because.

And if he wins...?
    Will be a wipe out in no time and an election , he really is Useless. He makes Truss look like a genius.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Chris said:

That's fine if your life revolves around one particular activity or business but if your kids school decides to change and your employer doesn't...
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

21 Маrch

25 March

On the excellent BBC documentary Barroso is critical of Obama for openly designating Russia as a regional power. He pointed out that Putin is a creature of resentment and saying things like that only exacerbated those feelings. But what were we supposed to do? Indulge his fantasies that Russia could be a global power akin to the United States and China? There is a counter argument that we should instead have been speaking home truths to him. That such superpower illusions were ludicrous, that 90% of Ukrainians had voted to leave the Soviet Union and few regretted it. That far from benefiting the all powerful west, the rules based international system acted as a restraint on it and enshrined Russia as by far the largest more resource rich country in the world. If Putin wanted to start playing around with international borders why not China with its historic claim to part of Siberia? Now of course Russia has nuclear weapons. But then what does that mean? That nuclear capability means states can act with impunity and blackmail the world. The logic of that would be mass proliferation and therefore a major weakening of Russian power. I hope someone was telling them the truth.
  • Options

Time zones as threat to peace. A row in Lebanon, with the government changing the Summer time date arbitrarily and half the country defying them….

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-65079574

Can anyone explain to me how a government decision about the time shown by clocks, can affect the actual time that the sun sets, and therefore enable Muslims to break their fast earlier?
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,229
    Chris said:

Time zones as threat to peace. A row in Lebanon, with the government changing the Summer time date arbitrarily and half the country defying them….

Can anyone explain to me how a government decision about the time shown by clocks, can affect the actual time that the sun sets, and therefore enable Muslims to break their fast earlier?
    The sun sets at the same time but the clock is set to an hour earlier.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Any old excuse to take offence nowadays
  • Options
    kle4 said:

21 Маrch

25 March

On the basis of:
    "Russia is not going to invade Ukraine"

And then:
    "Russia invades Ukraine"

Is there really any reason in expecting a word that comes out of Putin's mouth to be true?
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Tres said:

Chris said:

I'm just trying to make sense of the BBC's report about this: "If the time remains unchanged, Muslims will be able to break their fast an hour earlier"

Did they mean to write: "If the clocks remains unchanged, Muslims will be able to break their fast at the same time but the clocks will show a time an hour earlier"?
  • Options
    Chris said:

Tres said:

Chris said:

I'm just trying to make sense of the BBC's report about this: "If the time remains unchanged, Muslims will be able to break their fast an hour earlier"
    We could assume they're talking the non-sense the current poor dupe trying to run Lebanon came up with in a moment of stress and then things become simpler...
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325

It was noticeable in Barcelona that at 9am hardly anyone stirred but at 11pm the place was buzzing. People respond to Berlin time by doing everything two hours later. Must be even more extreme out in the wild west like Corunna.

The obvious solution to the clock problem is to work less and sleep longer in the winter and do the opposite in the summer. We all need to get in touch with our inner peasant.

Impudent peasant!!
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,430
    ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Tres said:

Chris said:

We could assume they're talking the non-sense the current poor dupe trying to run Lebanon came up with in a moment of stress and then things become simpler...
    Tbf it might make slightly more sense if we consider waking hours versus sleep, so the fast will be broken after X waking hours rather than X+1.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,228
    On topic: I like it that the clocks change twice a year. Life needs its senseless quirks and we'd have one less if we stopped doing this.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,590
    Chris said:

kle4 said:

21 Маrch

25 March

On the basis of:

And then:
    "Russia invades Ukraine"

Is there really any reason in expecting a word that comes out of Putin's mouth to be true?
    Same with Donald Trump. And ditto Boris Johnson.

Three toxic peas from the same rotten pod.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

21 Маrch

25 March

On the excellent BBC documentary Barroso is critical of Obama for openly designating Russia as a regional power. He pointed out that Putin is a creature of resentment and saying things like that only exacerbated those feelings. But what were we supposed to do? Indulge his fantasies that Russia could be a global power akin to the United States and China? There is a counter argument that we should instead have been speaking home truths to him. That such superpower illusions were ludicrous, that 90% of Ukrainians had voted to leave the Soviet Union and few regretted it. That far from benefiting the all powerful west, the rules based international system acted as a restraint on it and enshrined Russia as by far the largest more resource rich country in the world. If Putin wanted to start playing around with international borders why not China with its historic claim to part of Siberia? Now of course Russia has nuclear weapons. But then what does that mean? That nuclear capability means states can act with impunity and blackmail the world. The logic of that would be mass proliferation and therefore a major weakening of Russian power. I hope someone was telling them the truth.
    Well Gerhard Schroeder was telling them what they wanted to hear.

And being well paid for so doing.

He wasn't the only one either.
  • Options

Chris said:

kle4 said:

21 Маrch

25 March

On the basis of:

And then:
    "Russia invades Ukraine"

"It wasn't a party"
    "It wasn't a party"
    "It wasn't a party"
    "It wasn't a party"
    "It wasn't a party"
    "It wasn't a party"

"Hell of a party though!"
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,444
    Farooq said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

21 Маrch

25 March

Even the "your own country" is not a neutral position. A vast continent-spanning country like Russia can get much more strategic benefit from a restrictive rule like "nukes only in your own country". Russia's prescription is, intentionally or not, a recipe for proliferation. Do we want a world where Poland, South Korea, Iran, and Syria have control over nuclear weapons?
    The reactors Poland is buying are quite dual use.

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,730
    Interesting discussion. Microsoft Bing AI chat doesn't want to talk about China's treatment of Uighurs

https://mobile.twitter.com/SamuelBickett/status/1639737947707547657/photo/4
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Interesting discussion. Microsoft Bing AI chat doesn't want to talk about China's treatment of Uighurs

Artificial Intelligence is not stupid (even though not very subtle either).
  • Options
    biggles said:

malcolmg said:

Dura_Ace said:

My Aunty used to have Nitrous Oxide when she went to the dentist. I don't know how much it is used nowadays. Is it ever given to children?

Dentists don't administer general anesthetic in the practice these days. If Mrs DA wants to render a patient unconscious she tells them what their bill is going to be.
    Given bills I just paid for bone grafting and bridge etc for my wife I can imagine they would be out for a considerable period.
    All dentists are lying, money grabbing #####. Lots of people being talked into unnecessary procedures to line their pockets. Nationalise them and give them a salary.
    Yes, last time I went they told me I needed a filling - which I didn't.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

Just because.

If he's in the mid to high 40s and doesn't win that could be quite entertaining. I know some of the comments in the contest have gotten pretty cutting, but people transfer their votes in some unexpected ways (I've seen many a Con-Lab or Lab-Con, or Green-Con or whatever, in some contests), so him getting next to nothing from Regan, even if that would make sense, may not occur.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    kinabalu said:

On topic: I like it that the clocks change twice a year. Life needs its senseless quirks and we'd have one less if we stopped doing this.

Think how quirky you'd look if everyone else stopped doing it but you continued, though.
  • Options
    Chris said:

kle4 said:

21 Маrch

25 March

On the basis of:

And then:
    "Russia invades Ukraine"

Statistically I suppose it must sometimes happen, if only by accident.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

biggles said:

malcolmg said:

Dura_Ace said:

That's interesting - how did you discover that you didn't need one?
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    FF43 said:

From my limited playing with it last night I found that very often it would generate an answer for a specific question/topic and *then* decide it wasn't allowed to discuss that topic with you, even though you'd been able to read most of the answer before it realised that (and updated the text to say sorry).
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

21 Маrch

25 March

On the basis of:

And then:
    "Russia invades Ukraine"

Statistically I suppose it must sometimes happen, if only by accident.
    Of course. It's so easy to launch an all-out invasion of a neighbouring country by accident. And it can take months - even sometimes years - before you realise you've done it.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Bing has been doing my head in. I tutor using Skype and it first locked me out of my account, then started spamming me with dozens of useless messages. I have deleted it.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,690
    HYUFD said:

Could this bring down the Scottish government?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Douglas Ross could give Forbes confidence and supply. On most other issues than the Union the Scottish Conservatives would be closer to a Forbes led SNP than Scottish Labour and the Scottish Greens
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Can't see how, really - Holyrood is designed for predominantly minority government, and the SNP are still only a handful of MSPs short of majority. But might make getting the next budget through interesting.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,757

It was noticeable in Barcelona that at 9am hardly anyone stirred but at 11pm the place was buzzing. People respond to Berlin time by doing everything two hours later. Must be even more extreme out in the wild west like Corunna.

The obvious solution to the clock problem is to work less and sleep longer in the winter and do the opposite in the summer. We all need to get in touch with our inner peasant.

Impudent peasant!!
    If I still had a forelock I'd tug it apologetically.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079

Chris said:

kle4 said:

21 Маrch

25 March

On the basis of:

And then:
    "Russia invades Ukraine"

It's an extremely tenuous comparison. They all have completely different backgrounds, personalities and politics.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

One can only hope Forbes wins and those creeps are put in with the garbage where they should be.
  • Options

Chris said:

kle4 said:

21 Маrch

25 March

On the basis of:

And then:
    "Russia invades Ukraine"

It's an extremely tenuous comparison. They all have completely different backgrounds, personalities and politics.
    But they've ended up in basically the same place. Lying incessantly to placate the tigers they have ridden to the top.

In biology, it's called convergent evolution.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Douglas Ross could give Forbes confidence and supply. On most other issues than the Union the Scottish Conservatives would be closer to a Forbes led SNP than Scottish Labour and the Scottish Greens
    Ross could offer it, but Forbes would have to have a death wish to accept the offer, wouldn't she?
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Ross could offer it, but Forbes would have to have a death wish to accept the offer, wouldn't she?
    Not if it was only way to stay in power
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

They did specific deals when SNP were minority government before to get budgets through.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,138

Chris said:

kle4 said:

21 Маrch

25 March

On the basis of:

And then:
    "Russia invades Ukraine"

Not dissimilar PB status though, with enthusiastic defenders transformed to stout critics afflicted with amnesia over their cheerleading phase.
  • Options
    jsut beat me TUD
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Can't see how, really - Holyrood is designed for predominantly minority government, and the SNP are still only a handful of MSPs short of majority. But might make getting the next budget through interesting.
    SNP have neither a majority nor a minority at present, as the PO is one of the Greens.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,229

Foxy said:

I see the governments response to a failing police and judicial system is to criminalise a load more ordinary youngsters experimenting with the drug of the day. Bound to help the police and courts........

Please, please can we have left hand thinking about right hand a bit more. If we want more people to be categorised as criminals (not really sure why we should) then we need more police, lawyers, magistrates, probation officers etc too. Or decriminalise something else.

As much as many of the police's problems are self inflicted they cannot be expected to succeed in an environment where every year more and more offences are created, laws become more complex, yet they are given no new resources.

It all whiffs of Blairs "frogmarching yobs to the cashpoint" doesn't it?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/mar/25/rishi-sunak-immediate-justice-scheme-to-combat-antisocial-behaviour

I do hope that Starmer will be able to come up with some better ideas on criminal justice. Its all a bit crap at the moment.
    Fear not. The Labour Manifesto will criminalise wearing a loud shirt in a built up area...
    Certainly if the wearer is exceeding 20mph!
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

They did specific deals when SNP were minority government before to get budgets through.
    As did the other parties, except that Slab preferred to go off in a huff and vote against their own proposals.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,229
    Dura_Ace said:

DavidL said:

If I could turn back time

Betting would be a lot easier.

I've just given a promising chap called Bill Gates his first ten thousand dollars investment....
    In 2007 I was doing some consultancy work for a guy in Burford. He was selling his 1960 Bentley Continental Drophead with really nice provenance, it had previously belonged to Terry-Thomas and latterly Lawrence Harvey, he said "it's yours for £7,000". Do I look like a Bentley kind of a guy? I saw it advertised in Motor Sport magazine some months later for £8.5k at a dealers in the New Forest. Last year an example without such an illustrious previous owner history would cost North of £300,000.

If I could turn back time. Not a Bentley guy?
    I parted out my 993 GT2 because it got stolen, trashed and probably needed 30 or 40 grand's worth of work which I didn't feel like shelling out for at the time. So I was a bit gutted when a few sold for $1m+ some years later. Then, one went for £1.8m at Sotheby's. Granted, that was a low mileage 100 point car in a unique Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur colour but still...

The wing is now on my polarsilber 993 slicctop though so I'm glad I never sold that.
    The guy who I use to MOT our cars had a works Mini Cooper S. It was a Monte car, but not one of the winning ones, he let it go for £2k around 15 years ago. What price now?

If I could turn back time, I would have emptied every breakers yard of two door Mk 1 Escorts for £50 each, paid for storage and now what? £5 to £10k for a basket case. If you can tell me what automotive investment will repeat that for the next generation, I'm up for it.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,060

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

The central mystery of the current public sector pay wars.

Suppose the government wins a non-trivial reduction in public sector pay compared with prices or the private sector.

What do they think is going to happen next?

(And I know, you know, we all know they don't think like that, but the question doesn't go away.)
    There seems to be a certain salary level below which market forces are assumed not to apply.
    It is important to remember that rich people need to be paid more in order to motivate them, while poor people are better motivated to work by cutting their income.
    Which is why the "Agreeing to work for a fake company for 10k a day" story is so depressingly familiar.

Failed ministers who really think they are worth so much more than ordinaries.
    But if they are getting that sort of money then the organisations which are paying them must think they are worth it.

So what are those organisations getting in return for the £10k per day ?

Or perhaps the £10k per day is instead a payment for services already provided when they were in government.

This is particularly likely among finance ministers knowing if they 'play nicely' with the financial institutions they can expect many millions in return once they leave office.
    £1,250 per hour is less than the billing rate of a lawyer at a second tier London firm.

They are very rarely hired for a full day - it’s a couple of hours for a strategy discussion or another meeting. Or some time spent making introductions etc.

• Options
    kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

biggles said:

malcolmg said:

Dura_Ace said:

That's interesting - how did you discover that you didn't need one?
    Ah yes, so nothing to see and no pain, at the time or now 18 months later.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,466
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

Just because.

The betting has remained resolutely in his favour, which to me points to his team having inside info from the leaky as a seive election process. On that basis, I am expecting him to win the competition, though I would prefer Forbes.
This discussion has been closed.