Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

CON MPs will do what’s best for their survival chances? – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

Roger said:

Driver said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Some good news for once would be appreciated

Conservative polling now at 35% and only 10 points behind Labour.
    I am very sceptical about that poll but it does seem as if the conservatives are now in the low thirties and Sunak overtook Starmer as best PM in the red wall seats in yesterday's poll

The circus around Johnson and his devotees is a distraction and is tedious in the extreme
    Which was the Red Wall poll?
    https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1638226510950572053?t=EYBEivqesjMEo0WEIK_3fQ&s=19
    A most bizarre poll!

Red Wall Approval Rating-

Sunak -21

Starmer +5

Best PM

Sunak 37%

Starmer 35%

Either the Red Wallers have less comprehension than is even imagined and don't understand the questions or more likely Redfield and Wilton have got their numbers confused
    It's perfectly possible to think that Sir Keir is doing a good job as LOTO but would be a shit PM.
    To ask both those questions is therefore absurd and demands of the respondents an imagination that makes the question meaningless.
    You really mean you do not like a poll that shows Sunak ahead of Starmer in the red wall
    Its an interesting poll! If it is accurate then it raises all kinds of questions about why he is ahead - and what it means for the other polling showing all those seats reverting to red.

Put into the context of these other polls it is at least likely that the poll isn't accurate. Which raises separate questions why that is. In either scenario, we should like it because it is interesting...

Hypothesis - the poll is accurate because Sunak has been given some credit for his push talking about Stopping the Boats. As so many red wallers voted Brexit/Tory to stop migration and earn more money I wouldn't be surprised if it was this.

The Tories problem is that the illegal Illegal Migration bill is written in crayon specifically to excite these voters. What it doesn't do is provide any practicable or workable solutions to actually deliver. The clock is already nearly running out on the pledge to deport anyone in 28 days from landing. When nothing is delivered, watch the same red wall voters trash talk Sunak just has quickly as they gave their approval in this poll...
    I agree largely with you but it will take time for tangible results and labour have a policy vacuum on the subject

I would also add Lineker gave the subject a huge profile and maybe not the one he wanted
    Fake news I fear. Labour don't have a policy vacuum on the subject. Yvette Cooper has set out a very clear 'small boats' policy.
    Whether you agree with it or not, or think it will work, is a different matter. But it's there.
    Then I'm sure you can summarise it for us.
  • Options
    pm215pm215 Posts: 937

pm215 said:

There have been a number of statements made to the effect that the heavy MBTs (Leopard II, Challenger II, M1A1) are too heavy for the road/bridge systems of Eastern Europe. We are about to find out.

Did we not think when we designed those tanks that Eastern Europe was a plausible place we might want to use them?
    The plan was to fight WWIII in Germany.
    Still seems a bit pessimistic to not have entertained the idea that we might do well enough to want to advance beyond the German border...
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,131

Andy_JS said:

Another over-30% poll showing will please the Tories (even though they're down 1% with this particular pollster from 32% to 31%).

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1638457233544716289

There does seem to be some recovery in the polling

Sunak needs to take the ERG head on and enact the WF

Indeed if he is seen to be acting in the best interests of the country and NI he should benefit from it
    It's MOE but FWIW (not much) the Tory score is down in that poll
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,566
    Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Selebian said:

AlistairM said:

This gives you an idea of the size difference between a Challenger and a T-55.

⚡️Soon at the front a tank battle 🇺🇦Ukrainian tank Challenger against 🇷🇺Russian tank T-55 Your rates😁

https://twitter.com/front_ukrainian/status/1638498544981090304

The T55 is clearly just further away :wink:

(As a complete ignoramus on tanks, is size itself important? Naively I'd have thought the combination of armour, ability to move quickly and negotiate rough terrain and weaponry determined capability. I can see that larger size probably helps with armour and bridging rough terrain.)
    It's irrelevant as there has been very little tank v tank combat in the SMO. Both sides use them as either not very good artillery or to kill infantry. See that Kharkov video from last year where the Russian "Spetsnatz" try to surrender but an American shoots one in the head so they unsurrender then AFU bring up a T-62 to demolish the house they are holed up in. That's a more typical application. Everybody in the video also gets fucked by artillery and nobody can tell which side it's coming from. Also typical.
    Typical just means most of the time, though.
    On the rare occasions when things move significant distances quickly, by accident or strategy, tanks appear still to be uniquely useful - but only if accompanied by mobile infantry.
    Tanks rarely fought tanks, historically - hence the 75mm gun on most Shermans etc.

The Royal Tank Corp worked out the thing about supporting infantry in 1917 - and started building first APCs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_V_tank#Mark_V.2A
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,575
    Driver said:

Roger said:

Driver said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

I am very sceptical about that poll but it does seem as if the conservatives are now in the low thirties and Sunak overtook Starmer as best PM in the red wall seats in yesterday's poll

The circus around Johnson and his devotees is a distraction and is tedious in the extreme
    https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1638226510950572053?t=EYBEivqesjMEo0WEIK_3fQ&s=19
    A most bizarre poll!

Sunak -21

Starmer +5

Best PM

Sunak 37%

Starmer 35%

Either the Red Wallers have less comprehension than is even imagined and don't understand the questions or more likely Redfield and Wilton have got their numbers confused
    It's perfectly possible to think that Sir Keir is doing a good job as LOTO but would be a shit PM.
    To ask both those questions is therefore absurd and demands of the respondents an imagination that makes the question meaningless.
    You really mean you do not like a poll that shows Sunak ahead of Starmer in the red wall
    Its an interesting poll! If it is accurate then it raises all kinds of questions about why he is ahead - and what it means for the other polling showing all those seats reverting to red.

Put into the context of these other polls it is at least likely that the poll isn't accurate. Which raises separate questions why that is. In either scenario, we should like it because it is interesting...

Hypothesis - the poll is accurate because Sunak has been given some credit for his push talking about Stopping the Boats. As so many red wallers voted Brexit/Tory to stop migration and earn more money I wouldn't be surprised if it was this.

The Tories problem is that the illegal Illegal Migration bill is written in crayon specifically to excite these voters. What it doesn't do is provide any practicable or workable solutions to actually deliver. The clock is already nearly running out on the pledge to deport anyone in 28 days from landing. When nothing is delivered, watch the same red wall voters trash talk Sunak just has quickly as they gave their approval in this poll...
    I agree largely with you but it will take time for tangible results and labour have a policy vacuum on the subject

I would also add Lineker gave the subject a huge profile and maybe not the one he wanted
    Fake news I fear. Labour don't have a policy vacuum on the subject. Yvette Cooper has set out a very clear 'small boats' policy.
    Whether you agree with it or not, or think it will work, is a different matter. But it's there.
    It's not my role to help you with your reading and listening skills.
    Nor to respond to your tedious repetition of 'Labour has no policies'.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,805

Roger said:

Driver said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

A most bizarre poll!

Sunak -21

Starmer +5

Best PM

Sunak 37%

Starmer 35%

I keep hearing that Labour have a policy vacuum. They do not. They have workable proposals which the Tories don't like for political reasons.

Saying "you have no policy" when they do, and your own "policy" is written in crayon is seriously laughable. And yet Braverman says it and you repeat it like it is the gospel truth.
    Apart from safe routes which would be overwhelmed they do not have any more than is already being done
    Why would safe routes be overwhelmed? We take a mere fraction of the numbers taken by other nations and their safe routes are not overwhelmed.
    The Rwanda deal involves taking an equal number of vulnerable refugees from Rwanda. There are about 100 000 Congolese refugees in Rwanda, so perhaps those deportation flights will not be coming back empty. Arguably that is a safe route.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,131
    I see we are back to analysing hypothetical polling where the Conservative Party are doing better, by a margin unknown, for reasons unstated, at an undefined point in the future.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Another over-30% poll showing will please the Tories (even though they're down 1% with this particular pollster from 32% to 31%).

Indeed if he is seen to be acting in the best interests of the country and NI he should benefit from it
    Isn't Survation the one that allocates Don't knows as their previous party? Hence swingback already counted?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

That's true; however for our decimally-trained heads it's "another poll in the 30s" which are becoming more common.
  • Options

Roger said:

Driver said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

A most bizarre poll!

Sunak -21

Starmer +5

Best PM

Sunak 37%

Starmer 35%

I keep hearing that Labour have a policy vacuum. They do not. They have workable proposals which the Tories don't like for political reasons.

Saying "you have no policy" when they do, and your own "policy" is written in crayon is seriously laughable. And yet Braverman says it and you repeat it like it is the gospel truth.
    Apart from safe routes which would be overwhelmed they do not have any more than is already being done
    Why would safe routes be overwhelmed? We take a mere fraction of the numbers taken by other nations and their safe routes are not overwhelmed.
    Not according to Macron who in his summit with Sunak affirmed the problem of migration is an EU problem and not only in UK but of course in Italy and elsewhere
    Indeed - a pan-European problem. Which we only solve together. Yet you continue to back the non-cooperation shut the border lot and describe the cooperation plan as no policy at all.
  • Options

Driver said:

Roger said:

Driver said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

A most bizarre poll!

Sunak -21

Starmer +5

Best PM

Sunak 37%

Starmer 35%

It's not my role to help you with your reading and listening skills.
    Nor to respond to your tedious repetition of 'Labour has no policies'.
    If you can't summarise it for us, then you can't complain when people think it doesn't exist.
  • Options

Roger said:

Driver said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

A most bizarre poll!

Sunak -21

Starmer +5

Best PM

Sunak 37%

Starmer 35%

We have an unusually high acceptance rate compared to other countries.
    As a percentage. Not in actual numbers. And doesn't that make the argument against the government lie that all the boat people are economic migrants? If they were, would large percentages successfully claim asylum?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Selebian said:

AlistairM said:

⚡️Soon at the front a tank battle 🇺🇦Ukrainian tank Challenger against 🇷🇺Russian tank T-55 Your rates😁

(As a complete ignoramus on tanks, is size itself important? Naively I'd have thought the combination of armour, ability to move quickly and negotiate rough terrain and weaponry determined capability. I can see that larger size probably helps with armour and bridging rough terrain.)
    It's irrelevant as there has been very little tank v tank combat in the SMO. Both sides use them as either not very good artillery or to kill infantry. See that Kharkov video from last year where the Russian "Spetsnatz" try to surrender but an American shoots one in the head so they unsurrender then AFU bring up a T-62 to demolish the house they are holed up in. That's a more typical application. Everybody in the video also gets fucked by artillery and nobody can tell which side it's coming from. Also typical.
    On the rare occasions when things move significant distances quickly, by accident or strategy, tanks appear still to be uniquely useful - but only if accompanied by mobile infantry.
    Tanks rarely fought tanks, historically - hence the 75mm gun on most Shermans etc.

The Royal Tank Corp worked out the thing about supporting infantry in 1917 - and started building first APCs.

Indeed, modern armoured doctrine seems to be less Guderian, and more an infantry support role like the French in 1940.
  • Options

Roger said:

Driver said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

A most bizarre poll!

Sunak -21

Starmer +5

Best PM

Sunak 37%

Starmer 35%

Not according to Macron who in his summit with Sunak affirmed the problem of migration is an EU problem and not only in UK but of course in Italy and elsewhere
    Indeed - a pan-European problem. Which we only solve together. Yet you continue to back the non-cooperation shut the border lot and describe the cooperation plan as no policy at all.
    I support Sunak not the Johnson ERG group as you well know
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    As an aside, the ship that has got drunk in a Leith dry dock (and who hasn't)? is actually notable: it was owned by the late Paul Allen, co-founder of Microsoft, and was used to discover many shipwrecks.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-65038617

As it was in dry dock, I assume someone's found a use for it?

https://www.bairdmaritime.com/work-boat-world/specialised-fields/marine-research-and-training/maritime-archaeology/feature-research-vessel-petrel-on-a-roll-with-historical-shipwreck-finds/
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Selebian said:

AlistairM said:

Indeed, modern armoured doctrine seems to be less Guderian, and more an infantry support role like the French in 1940.
    It's a mixture. The reality is mostly not replays of Kursk, though the tanks are designed with that in mind. Hence 73 Easting.

In 1940 tank vs tank battles were rare. Mostly tanks supporting infantry attacks. And generally opposed by anti-tank guns. And that went for the Germans as well. It wasn't huge lines of tanks rolling forward together, but the Germans used tanks in bigger units, rather than a handful or individual vehicles.
  • Options
    If Labour has a small boats policy, they don't seem too concerned about people knowing what it is:

• Options
    Horse_BHorse_B Posts: 106
    Driver said:

If Labour has a small boats policy, they don't seem too concerned about people knowing what it is:

The third link down says what the policy is - and you have clicked on it.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,238
    Foxy said:

Roger said:

Driver said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

A most bizarre poll!

Sunak -21

Starmer +5

Best PM

Sunak 37%

Starmer 35%

The Rwanda deal involves taking an equal number of vulnerable refugees from Rwanda. There are about 100 000 Congolese refugees in Rwanda, so perhaps those deportation flights will not be coming back empty. Arguably that is a safe route.
    Equal number? No, unspecified number.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,238

As an aside, the ship that has got drunk in a Leith dry dock (and who hasn't)? is actually notable: it was owned by the late Paul Allen, co-founder of Microsoft, and was used to discover many shipwrecks.

https://www.bairdmaritime.com/work-boat-world/specialised-fields/marine-research-and-training/maritime-archaeology/feature-research-vessel-petrel-on-a-roll-with-historical-shipwreck-finds/

I wonder if it's as easy as flooding the dock? At least if the hull was not being worked on!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797
    pm215 said:

pm215 said:

There have been a number of statements made to the effect that the heavy MBTs (Leopard II, Challenger II, M1A1) are too heavy for the road/bridge systems of Eastern Europe. We are about to find out.

Did we not think when we designed those tanks that Eastern Europe was a plausible place we might want to use them?
    The plan was to fight WWIII in Germany.
    Still seems a bit pessimistic to not have entertained the idea that we might do well enough to want to advance beyond the German border...
    Reasonable evidence that we never intended to threaten Russia, though.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989
    Horse_B said:

Driver said:

It's quite simple, apparently.

Labour’s plan to tackle the small boats is centred around greater enforcement of the people smuggling gangs in Europe, more staff to clear the asylum backlog and a new deal with EU countries on returns..
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,424
    Andy_JS said:

Is food inflation a good thing wrt the obesity problem, or does it make it worse because people are more likely to eat unhealthy products?

Fairly irrelevant. Consumption of calories has declined. The obesity problem is primarily caused by people now driving everywhere, and working sat at a desk, instead of walking about more and working a job that involves moving around.

You'd do more to solve the obesity problem by mandating that computers had to be powered by dynamos turned by their operators, banning out-of-town shopping centres and banning cars from city centres, then you would achieve by obsessing over food.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

I wonder if it's as easy as flooding the dock? At least if the hull was not being worked on!
    Possibly, but I'd *guess* that some lower ?weather? decks are now below the water level required to refloat it.

Still, I doubt they need to do anything of the scale that they did at Pearl Harbour:

https://www.navytimes.com/resizer/f5Zql37PJ6sW15Wxq4HlcYyK0mI=/1024x0/filters:format(jpg):quality(70)/cloudfront-us-east-1.images.arcpublishing.com/archetype/XCHBT64GAZHRPNZCFED6QDT4UY.jpg
  • Options
    Zinger from Sunak there
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,811

Andy_JS said:

Is food inflation a good thing wrt the obesity problem, or does it make it worse because people are more likely to eat unhealthy products?

Fairly irrelevant. Consumption of calories has declined. The obesity problem is primarily caused by people now driving everywhere, and working sat at a desk, instead of walking about more and working a job that involves moving around.

You'd do more to solve the obesity problem by mandating that computers had to be powered by dynamos turned by their operators, banning out-of-town shopping centres and banning cars from city centres, then you would achieve by obsessing over food.
    I think it’s more complicated than that. Here’s the abstract of a provocative 2022 paper, https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/nqac075

Since 1980, obesity prevalence among US adults has soared from 14% to 42%. The commonly accepted explanation is pervasive overeating: ever-increasing energy intake as the population gains weight, year after year. However, evidence does not support this hypothesis. National data on energy intake and energy availability show increases between 1961 and 2000, during modern industrialization of food; but a plateau or declines thereafter—even as obesity continued rising—and while physical activity modestly increased. Thus, Americans appear to be eating relatively less since 2000, for ever-increasing body sizes, as time has progressed. Although both energy intake and energy availability are measured with error, such errors would have to be new since 2000 and systematically increasing over time for these 2 separate, independent measures. Given the tremendous societal consequences of obesity, and failure to date of energy balance–focused interventions to stem the tide, it is critical for the scientific community to consider and test alternative hypotheses. Growing evidence suggests complex, interrelated biological interactions between food processing (including acellular nutrients, depleted prebiotics, additives), gut microbial composition and function, host metabolic expenditure, and intergenerational transmission of risk (including epigenetics, noncoding RNAs, microbial species). In this paradigm, whereas increasing energy intake may have contributed to rising obesity in earlier years, today pervasive adiposity and its physiologic adaptations have created a biological milieu which interacts with industrialized foods to promote escalating obesity, even with stable energy intake—a self-sustaining, difficult-to-reverse cycle. These scientific hypotheses must be rigorously evaluated, because even partial confirmation would dramatically shift and expand current prevention and treatment strategies. Urgent new investment in research is required. Simultaneously, uncertain evidence on the obesity epidemic's primary drivers does not mean there is no evidence on actions that can help, and existing science must be more rapidly translated and refined into clinical, public health, and policy interventions.

• Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,053
    Dura_Ace said:

Selebian said:

AlistairM said:

LOL. The size of tanks is irrelevant? I suppose bigger doesn't mean better but it may help. And your point about what 'both sides have done so far' bolstered by a single anecdote ignores the fact that Ukraine are only just now getting modern western tanks. They might not be used in direct opposition but bigger/better tanks may have an improved chance of breaking through the lines compared to what Russia has done. The fact you don't want to address this does give me some hope for Ukrainian success.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Horse_B said:

Driver said:

Right. But that's only because I happen to be a subscriber so can see behind that particular paywall.

But since I can, here's a couple of extracts:

Labour’s plan to tackle the small boats is centred around greater enforcement of the people smuggling gangs in Europe, more staff to clear the asylum backlog and a new deal with EU countries on returns.

and

Cooper refused to say if a Labour government would repeal the legislation if it wins power at next year’s general election.

Not a policy vacuum, true. Not a major point of difference either. I can understand why they haven't put their SEO team on it.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,005
    Driver said:

Roger said:

Driver said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

A most bizarre poll!

Sunak -21

Starmer +5

Best PM

Sunak 37%

Starmer 35%

Here is the recently agreed LibDem policy on "small boats":

Liberal Democrats believe that the best way to stop these dangerous crossings is to provide safe and legal routes to sanctuary for those that need it.

We call on the Government to:

Immediately scrap the Illegal Migration Bill.
    Fix the broken asylum system by taking powers from the Home Office and establishing a new, dedicated unit to make decisions quicker and more fairly.
    Provide safe and legal routes to sanctuary for refugees from all countries, including:
    An expanded, properly funded resettlement scheme.
    A new scheme for unaccompanied child refugees.
    Reuniting unaccompanied children in Europe with family in the UK.
    Humanitarian visas to allow asylum seekers to travel the UK to proceed with their claims.
  • Options
    Whoever is representing the SNP in PMQ's cannot count...

Quite funny.
  • Options

Quite funny.

Tried to ask a third question?
  • Options
    Driver said:

From that same search:
    https://www.stephenkinnock.co.uk/labours-response-to-the-tories-illegal-migration-bill/

No doubt closer to an election we'll hear significantly more about policy from opposition parties.
  • Options
    I don't much like Dunt, but this is a fair point.

Important & revealing. The committee is not an independent political entity. It was asked to investigate by the Commons. Its rules are laid down by the Commons, in resolution and precedent. When Johnson challenges its legitimacy, he is challenging the legitimacy of parliament.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1638503019447738371
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,131

Roger said:

Driver said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

A most bizarre poll!

Sunak -21

Starmer +5

Best PM

Sunak 37%

Starmer 35%

We have an unusually high acceptance rate compared to other countries.
    As a percentage. Not in actual numbers. And doesn't that make the argument against the government lie that all the boat people are economic migrants? If they were, would large percentages successfully claim asylum?
    Because the criteria are so broad that almost anyone can qualify if they know what to say.
  • Options

Roger said:

Driver said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

A most bizarre poll!

Sunak -21

Starmer +5

Best PM

Sunak 37%

Starmer 35%

Shut the Border is the Sunak policy.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Driver said:

Roger said:

Driver said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

A most bizarre poll!

Sunak -21

Starmer +5

Best PM

Sunak 37%

Starmer 35%

Liberal Democrats believe that the best way to stop these dangerous crossings is to provide safe and legal routes to sanctuary for those that need it.

Fix the broken asylum system by taking powers from the Home Office and establishing a new, dedicated unit to make decisions quicker and more fairly.
    Provide safe and legal routes to sanctuary for refugees from all countries, including:
    Humanitarian visas to allow asylum seekers to travel the UK to proceed with their claims.
    No real surprises there. The question a lot of the public will be asking is what sort of numbers is that likely to mean every year?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Driver said:

From that same search:
    https://www.stephenkinnock.co.uk/labours-response-to-the-tories-illegal-migration-bill/

No doubt closer to an election we'll hear significantly more about policy from opposition parties.
    Two of the three policies are just about working with the EU, which I believe the government is actively trying to do (the recent meeting with Macron, for example). The third is clearing the backlog by hiring more staff. It's hard to see how that stops irregular arrivals.
  • Options

Roger said:

Driver said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

A most bizarre poll!

Sunak -21

Starmer +5

Best PM

Sunak 37%

Starmer 35%

Why do you say "pan-European" and not global?
  • Options

Roger said:

Driver said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

A most bizarre poll!

Sunak -21

Starmer +5

Best PM

Sunak 37%

Starmer 35%

Stop The Boats is his policy
  • Options
    Driver said:

Quite funny.

He said "three former Tory leaders planning to vote down his deal this afternoon."

Although... would IDS count as a third?
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Selebian said:

AlistairM said:

LOL. The size of tanks is irrelevant? I suppose bigger doesn't mean better but it may help. And your point about what 'both sides have done so far' bolstered by a single anecdote ignores the fact that Ukraine are only just now getting modern western tanks. They might not be used in direct opposition but bigger/better tanks may have an improved chance of breaking through the lines compared to what Russia has done. The fact you don't want to address this does give me some hope for Ukrainian success.
    The larger size is mostly invested in protection and survivability. So British tanks, when hit are specifically designed not to enter the International Turret Throwing competition that Russian tanks are champions at.
  • Options

Roger said:

Driver said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

A most bizarre poll!

Sunak -21

Starmer +5

Best PM

Sunak 37%

Starmer 35%

Because predominantly we have people fleeing African and the near east and coming to Europe.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Important & revealing. The committee is not an independent political entity. It was asked to investigate by the Commons. Its rules are laid down by the Commons, in resolution and precedent. When Johnson challenges its legitimacy, he is challenging the legitimacy of parliament.

If he's right that the committee was asked by the resolution to investigate breaches of the law and has extended its own remit to investigate breaches of the guidelines, is there precedent for it doing that?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,699
    Barnesian said:

Driver said:

Roger said:

Driver said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

A most bizarre poll!

Sunak -21

Starmer +5

Best PM

Sunak 37%

Starmer 35%

"for those that need it."

Most of those on the boats don't need it. And even if they do need it, they can get it in France. That's the problem.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,893
    edited March 2023

Driver said:

Quite funny.

He said "three former Tory leaders planning to vote down his deal this afternoon."

Yes, surely, else he'd have saaid 'Tory PMs'.

ISTR that an ERG activist was going on about having three leaders rebelling, earlier this morning.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,505
    Sunak has really improved his PMQ game. I’m not sure it matters all that much, but just an observation.
  • Options

Driver said:

Quite funny.

Hard to believe it, but IDS is indeed a former Tory leader.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Driver said:

Quite funny.

Yep, apols to the guy then. And the speaker also got it wrong when he corrected him.

Although as he had a second question, you think he would have mentioned there were three, if he was sure there were.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,222

Roger said:

Driver said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

A most bizarre poll!

Sunak -21

Starmer +5

Best PM

Sunak 37%

Starmer 35%

No, Stop The Boats is his snappy three word slogan. Behind that slogan the policy is shut the border to as many people as possible. Otherwise why have Braverman in post?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,699

Roger said:

Driver said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

A most bizarre poll!

Sunak -21

Starmer +5

Best PM

Sunak 37%

Starmer 35%

So let the same number of people come, but not on a boat. Something less visible.
  • Options
    edited March 2023

Barnesian said:

Driver said:

Roger said:

Driver said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

A most bizarre poll!

Sunak -21

Starmer +5

Best PM

Sunak 37%

Starmer 35%

No real surprises there. The question a lot of the public will be asking is what sort of numbers is that likely to mean every year?
    If we can reverse the backlog in processing claims that has built up under Tory Home Secretaries, a large number of people will have their asylum claims rejected and be sent back, greatly reducing the numbers currently staying in hotels.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,893

Carnyx said:

Driver said:

Quite funny.

Yep, apols to the guy then. And the speaker also got it wrong when he corrected him.

Although as he had a second question, you think he would have mentioned there were three, if he was sure there were.
    Asking Mr Speaker "Are you sure you can count?" isn't going to go down well, apart from wasting the second question ...
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Driver said:

Roger said:

Driver said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

A most bizarre poll!

Sunak -21

Starmer +5

Best PM

Sunak 37%

Starmer 35%

Indeed. Labour supporters here should be able - in fact, should want - to post something that clearly explains the policy as you have for the Lib Dems.

There doesn't even seem to be anything on the Labour website about it. No p[olicy section at all, as far as I can see - and whilst there is a "campaigns" section with eight sections, none of them at first glance covers this topic.
  • Options
    edited March 2023

Roger said:

Driver said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

A most bizarre poll!

Sunak -21

Starmer +5

Best PM

Sunak 37%

Starmer 35%

Because predominantly we have people fleeing African and the near east and coming to Europe.
    Do you think this pan-European policy should aim to reduce the number of people coming to Europe or just share the burden between countries?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Nigelb said:

Driver said:

From that same search:

Two of the three policies are just about working with the EU, which I believe the government is actively trying to do (the recent meeting with Macron, for example). The third is clearing the backlog by hiring more staff. It's hard to see how that stops irregular arrivals.
    Promptly processing and sending back those who don’t have a valid claim will create a deterrent effect.

• Options
    Driver said:

Driver said:

Quite funny.

Yeah, it seems everyone forgot about him. I was actually slightly surprised he was still in parliament. And he's only 68.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,259
    edited March 2023
    Driver said:

Driver said:

Quite funny.

Not at all difficult to believe.

'We couldn't have fucked up Iraq without him'
  • Options

RobD said:

Nigelb said:

Driver said:

From that same search:

Promptly processing and sending back those who don’t have a valid claim will create a deterrent effect.

If significant numbers are indeed deemed not to have a valid claim, which hasn't been the case previously.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Driver said:

Nigelb said:

If he's right that the committee was asked by the resolution to investigate breaches of the law and has extended its own remit to investigate breaches of the guidelines, is there precedent for it doing that?
    But he’s not right. The Committee were asked to investigate whether Johnson misled Parliament and Johnson’s comments included reference to guidance, not just law. The House resolution and discussion mention guidance.
  • Options

Roger said:

Driver said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

A most bizarre poll!

Sunak -21

Starmer +5

Best PM

Sunak 37%

Starmer 35%

So let the same number of people come, but not on a boat. Something less visible.
    We could offer all the people on the boats a safe route and stop the boats overnight. Nobody is getting on one of these boats because they have other options.
  • Options
    New thread
  • Options

Roger said:

Driver said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

A most bizarre poll!

Sunak -21

Starmer +5

Best PM

Sunak 37%

Starmer 35%

We could offer all the people on the boats a safe route and stop the boats overnight. Nobody is getting on one of these boats because they have other options.
    Stay in France?
  • Options

Roger said:

Driver said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

A most bizarre poll!

Sunak -21

Starmer +5

Best PM

Sunak 37%

Starmer 35%

So would that be your policy? Stop the small boats by sending big boats?
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Selebian said:

AlistairM said:

The larger size is mostly invested in protection and survivability. So British tanks, when hit are specifically designed not to enter the International Turret Throwing competition that Russian tanks are champions at.
    Funny Dura didn't mention that. He's such a stickler for detail.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2023
    Sunak is definitely upping his game. A more pragmatic and less ideologically Thatcherite approach to the strikes, improved Commons performances, and a general sense of him growing into the role.

Some partial improvements in the polls as a result ; it won't be enough to win the Tories the next election, but he might be the only force that could save them from a terrible reduction in seats , and rescue them from irrelevance.
  • Options

Roger said:

Driver said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

A most bizarre poll!

Sunak -21

Starmer +5

Best PM

Sunak 37%

Starmer 35%

So would that be your policy? Stop the small boats by sending big boats?
    The suspicion has to be that the real Labour policy is open borders.
  • Options
    Driver said:

RobD said:

Nigelb said:

Driver said:

From that same search:

If significant numbers are indeed deemed not to have a valid claim, which hasn't been the case previously.
    Reporting and the Government both say that the make up of those coming over in boats has changed, with a large increase in Albanians unlikely to have valid asylum claims; much discussion on PB has asserted that the vast majority of those coming over in boats have no valid claim.

It seems like a no-brainer to promptly deal with those who don’t have a valid claim, yet huge backlogs have built up under the Conservatives.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,699
    Heathener said:

Morning all. Back from an awesome time away in Asia. Oh wow.

I have a question for @Leon : are you the same Leon author of this:
    https://www.audleytravel.com/australasia/region-guides/choosing-your-ideal-south-pacific-island

UK politics feels a bit distant to me at the moment and all I want to remark on for now is that Heathrow is an absolute shithole compared to most international airports out east. And the potholes.

The potholes.

What the hell happened to this country?

We had a Conservative government.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,783
    The key difference between Labour sand Conservatives on asylum policy, I think, is that Labour intends to process asylum claims, while the Conservatives effectively don't process claims at all. The Conservative problem is that claimants, whether genuine or not, cannot be removed or otherwise dealt with unless the UK dumps the problem onto countries like Rwanda. The Labour problem is that while assessed non genuine asylum seekers can be deported, the remainder will need to be accommodated.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,999

Boris Johnson will enjoy the rest of his life far less than he has enjoyed it up to now.

Yes, he will earn a load of money but he will no longer get the attention he had and he will never again hold high office or be considered someone who could hold high office. Instead, he will be just another yesterday's man, doomed to perform the same act over and over again for the guffawing group of rich fools who will be the only ones interested in hearing it.

Bankers usually.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,895
    kle4 said:

Boris Johnson will enjoy the rest of his life far less than he has enjoyed it up to now.

Yes, he will earn a load of money but he will no longer get the attention he had and he will never again hold high office or be considered someone who could hold high office. Instead, he will be just another yesterday's man, doomed to perform the same act over and over again for the guffawing group of rich fools who will be the only ones interested in hearing it.

Bankers usually.
    Bankers with a 'B'
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,605

Barnesian said:

Driver said:

Roger said:

Driver said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

A most bizarre poll!

Sunak -21

Starmer +5

Best PM

Sunak 37%

Starmer 35%

The LD policy is a policy only applicable to parties who don't intend to form a government. It is, in theory, rational, lawful and complete.

It allows anyone with a claim to refugee status to apply to the UK either from their home country or from anywhere else.

That's potentially hundreds of millions of people.

Parties that intend to form a government don't do this. It isn't possible to win an election if you do.
This discussion has been closed.