Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The NHS the biggest vulnerability of Sunak’s Tories – Ipsos polling – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,359
    TimS said:

Come back DJ41, all is forgiven.

By the way when are we letting Leon, Horse and Stuart back in?

Horse has been banned?! Why?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,200

Reed said:

Reed said:

HYUFD said:

I reckon with Vladimir Putin being such a gay icon, Russia will have so many homosexuals in the next decade.

They won't be able to get married though, homosexual marriage is still not legal in Russia, nor Ukraine either for that matter
    State sanctioned homophobia is usually a cover for lots of er... action. Historically.
    I bet you got some action at public school.
    I was head boy.
    You would have had your pick then.
    I was a good Muslim boy at school.
    "There is a boy across the river with a bottom like a peach. But alas! I cannot swim!"

:lol:
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,919
    HYUFD said:

I reckon with Vladimir Putin being such a gay icon, Russia will have so many homosexuals in the next decade.

They won't be able to get married though, homosexual marriage is still not legal in Russia, nor Ukraine either for that matter
    Homosexuals are allowed to get married in Russia. Indeed, they get married all the time.

Albeit not to each other.
  • Options
    ReedReed Posts: 152
    rcs1000 said:

Reed said:

Seattle Times ($) - How Silicon Valley Bank echoes WaMu and the Panic of 2008

Jon Talton, business columnist - [M]ost news stories labeled it the second largest “bank” failure in American history, after Seattle’s Washington Mutual in 2008. But that’s incorrect. Even though WaMu acted like a bank in many ways, it was a savings and loan.

What we’ve witnessed in recent days is the largest bank failure and the second-largest banking failure. Silicon Valley was the nation’s 16th largest bank and, although it was state-chartered, its chief executive sat on the board of the Federal Reserve Board of San Francisco.

I’m not pettifogging. Washington Mutual lacked the more rigorous regulators, along with the regulatory and political protection of a bank. When it came to grief from doling out too many subprime housing loans, no one in power was there to bail it out from a run on the institution. . . .

WaMu’s shareholders were wiped out and thousands of jobs were lost in downtown Seattle. Beneath the onion wrapping of those noxious subprime loans was a healthy banking institution. . . .

If Washington Mutual could have been saved in 2008, Seattle could have retained a major banking institution and its place as a banking center. But it was not to be.

My second thought about Silicon Valley Bank was about how little was learned from the Panic of 2008 and the Great Recession that followed — and the power of the bank lobby.

The loose lending practices, handsomely rewarded by Wall Street, of Killinger and other bankers, was the direct outgrowth of deregulation, specifically the repeal of the Glass-Steagall Act in 1999.

This law was enacted in 1933, 90 years ago, after the bank crisis that helped bring on the Great Depression. It separated commercial banks from investment banks among other new rules. . . .

And for decades, Glass-Steagall kept the banking system safe and sound, even though it was gradually whittled away at the margins. It certainly wouldn’t have allowed commercial banks to invest in the derivatives and other exotic pieces of financial engineering that followed its repeal. Or the lap dog regulators that allowed them to hide on balance sheets until the crisis.

After the Panic of 2008 nearly imploded the banking system, Congress passed the Dodd-Frank Act, which tightened bank regulation. But it was no modernized Glass-Steagall and its toughest provisions were loosened in 2018, encouraged by President Donald Trump.

Those seeking schadenfreude will be pleased to know that the bill’s co-sponsor, former Democratic Rep. Barney Frank, was a paid board member of Signature Bank, which dabbled in cryptocurrencies and was shut down soon after Silicon Valley Bank. . . .

[T]he failure to bring the rule of law to the “banksters” after the Panic of 2008 seeded today’s regulatory failure.

The Justice Department and SEC are reportedly investigating Silicon Valley Bank’s collapse.

Will the outcome be different this time?

I wouldn’t bank on it.

Yes many bankers should have been jailed in 2008. They werent. They got bailed out and never learnt their lesson. A country like China or Russia would have imposed harsh punishments on the bankers.
    Do you believe that people should go to jail "just because", or do you think it's a good idea that they are found guilty in a court of breaking a law of some kind first?
    Ok have you seen the movie the big short where Baum is listening to some guy brag about cdos and cds s. You are deliberately creating systemic risk to enrich yourself. You think that should be allowed. Im not talking ordinary stock and bond trading here.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,354

MikeL said:

Wiki graph just updated for latest polls.

Big picture - Lab still flat at 47% but clear Con move upwards - previously 26%, now 28%.

And no that's not a margin of error movement - because it's the average across nine or ten pollsters. But it's still only a very small reduction in the Lab lead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election

And no. That’s not a 28% vote share Tories are now back up on.

- how the chart works is if you are 28% tonight, the 28 is not for keeps, next time you look maybe it will stop on 26 and never ever reached 28%. Looking at an uptick on edge of that voting graph is fools gold, Tory friendly/unfriendly pollsters don’t balance out over a week, hence all the droopy tits.

month by month is stronger measurement. The only way to measure poll of polls really.
    Talking of which, anyone heard from People Polling this week?

They're normally good to drag the Conservative average down a bit.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,452
    Cookie said:

TimS said:

I’ve no idea. Happened when I was offline. There seems to have been a night of the long ban hammers.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,174
    I'm going to wait until we get within a few months of the GE before I get excited by the polls 👍
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Homosexuals are allowed to get married in Russia. Indeed, they get married all the time.

Surely that makes them bisexual.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Reed said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Why would it?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    This financial crisis may lead to me having to sustain myself on beans and baked potatoes. I'm not so worried as it's about as good as it gets for a meal. What isn't clear though is what the crisis is? Nobody seems to know. An element of it is simply people testing the boundaries. Interesting, and no doubt profitable, but popping the big balloon might not be such a good experience.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

I’ve no idea. Happened when I was offline. There seems to have been a night of the long ban hammers.
    Think there needs to be more posters like me.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,216
    Reed said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

trysexual?
  • Options

Reed said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

trysexual?
    Is that a come on. I always thought you were admiring me across the room.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,880
    I've just finished reading Ben Macintyre's book "The Spy and the Traitor: The Greatest Espionage Story of the Cold War" about Oleg Gordievsky. It's quite a fascinating story, and almost unbelievable in some details. Our friend Vladimir Putin makes a few appearances as well.

Well worth a read, IMO. The story of his exfiltration is quite amazing, especially the involvement of cheese and onion crisps and a baby's nappy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oleg_Gordievsky
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,909
    malcolmg said:

Murray Foote bites the dust, looks like he was given false info re there being 72K SNP members and realises the game is up, a lie too far. The collapse continues.

Made the BBC now https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-64993032

"SNP media chief Murray Foote resigns over membership dispute

The SNP's media chief has resigned in a row over the party's membership numbers - after it denied the figure had dropped by 30,000.

Murray Foote had described press reports about the numbers last month as "inaccurate" and "drivel".

The SNP confirmed yesterday that membership had fallen to 72,186 from the 104,000 it had two years ago.

Mr Foote said he issued agreed party responses to the media which "created a serious impediment" to his role."

Amazing how quickly the image they presented of 'stable, competent' is just turning into a colossal clusterf*ck.
  • Options

Reed said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

trysexual?
    Radio 4 was busily telling us about the rather elaborate sex education necessary today. For 12 year olds. I found it rather shocking.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    edited March 2023
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Andy_JS said:

Projected Labour seats has dropped from 369 to 362 in just 24 hours with UKPollingReport's forecast.

https://pollingreport.uk/seats

Must be a reflection of a small uptick in the Tory share in many recent opinion polls.

320, here we come....
    Oh dear, one or two getting a bit excited on here tonight. A swing in a by-election, a win in Scotland and a couple of not-quite-so-bad polls and suddenly Sunak will be Prime Minister until 2029,

I'll have some of what you're smoking or drinking.

Techne has the Conservatives AND Labour up one point so well within MoE while YouGov has a four point rise but that poll last week looked a big outlier and so it proved - Labour also up one and the combined LD/Green/Reform number down three so tiny moves but of course if you're desperate for good news you'll grab anything that comes past. Survation has the Conservatives AND Labour up three each so perhaps another outlier.

Yes, some of the really big leads of the Truss/Kwarteng period have passed but the polls continue to show Labour leads between 15 and 20 points.
    In 2017 and 2015 it was Survation who were right and the other pollsters who were wrong
    Survation's data tables show a 15.5% swing from Conservative to Labour in England so that would mean the Conservative Parliamentary party down to around 170 seats and that's before any tactical voting.
    Which would still be higher than the number of seats they won in 1997 and 2001 as I said.

Tactical voting is also clearly down now Rishi has replaced Boris and Truss
    I think if you're comparing 170 seats positively to 165 or 166, fine. The Conservatives went into opposition for 13 years after the 1997 defeat so we could easily see a three-term Labour Government which would mean the Conservatives would be back in 2039.
    They also went into the 1997 election without a majority, go into this one with a 80 seat landslide, so would be one of the most historic of turnarounds.

Rishi is just not moving voter backing back to where it was under Boris. The week of a continued austerity budget he has moved the national grid to heat his swimming pool. The coalition Boris built can never be achieved by Rishi Sunak.
    On the other hand no party has won a 5th consecutive general election since universal suffrage in 1918.

The economy is also in a worse situation than 1997 which would then be Labour's problem if they took power
    5th election in row is a bit fake claim don’t you agree?, in years it only 13 to cram 4 in, 5 Primeministers. You have been holding some every 2 years, rather bizarrely declaring the post Brexit vote 2017 parliament a dead parliament merely on basis it disagreed with Boris hard as nails Brexit.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Reed said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

trysexual?
    Radio 4 was busily telling us about the rather elaborate sex education necessary today. For 12 year olds. I found it rather shocking.
    Why was it shocking?

for one think, many kids are starting puberty well before 12. And I'd rather kids know what's happening to their bodies - and the relationships that can involve - than them not knowing.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Omnium said:

Reed said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

trysexual?
    12 years is unusual? At Ilford County (for Boys), we had sex ed in Year 7, way back in season 87/88.
  • Options

Reed said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

trysexual?
    No nude to be reed!
  • Options

Omnium said:

Reed said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

trysexual?
    Why was it shocking?

for one think, many kids are starting puberty well before 12. And I'd rather kids know what's happening to their bodies - and the relationships that can involve - than them not knowing.
    Shocking - well just because I personally found it so. It wasn't in any way intended as a judgement, just an observation.
  • Options
    Reed said:

I see the bankers are behaving just the same as before.

Ex-Silicon Valley Bank CEO Greg Becker jets to Hawaii after collapse. He cashed in 12,500 shares for nearly $3.5 million just two weeks before the firm went under.

Was he vaccinated?
  • Options
    Reed said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Bless.
  • Options
    maxhmaxh Posts: 824
    Reed said:

TimS said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

Are we quite sure Reed isn’t just Leon on holiday in St Petersburg?
  • Options

Omnium said:

Reed said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

trysexual?
    Why was it shocking?

Dont think there is any need for schools to be teaching things like bondage etc. Most kids will see it all on the internet anyway so its pretty redundant.
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 775
    I feel like we should keep the new troll pet for Friday evening entertainment, and then return to a mix of Scottish sub samples, holiday pictures and predicting large Labour polling leads in the morning?
  • Options
    Reed said:

rcs1000 said:

Reed said:

Jon Talton, business columnist - [M]ost news stories labeled it the second largest “bank” failure in American history, after Seattle’s Washington Mutual in 2008. But that’s incorrect. Even though WaMu acted like a bank in many ways, it was a savings and loan.

What we’ve witnessed in recent days is the largest bank failure and the second-largest banking failure. Silicon Valley was the nation’s 16th largest bank and, although it was state-chartered, its chief executive sat on the board of the Federal Reserve Board of San Francisco.

I’m not pettifogging. Washington Mutual lacked the more rigorous regulators, along with the regulatory and political protection of a bank. When it came to grief from doling out too many subprime housing loans, no one in power was there to bail it out from a run on the institution. . . .

WaMu’s shareholders were wiped out and thousands of jobs were lost in downtown Seattle. Beneath the onion wrapping of those noxious subprime loans was a healthy banking institution. . . .

If Washington Mutual could have been saved in 2008, Seattle could have retained a major banking institution and its place as a banking center. But it was not to be.

My second thought about Silicon Valley Bank was about how little was learned from the Panic of 2008 and the Great Recession that followed — and the power of the bank lobby.

The loose lending practices, handsomely rewarded by Wall Street, of Killinger and other bankers, was the direct outgrowth of deregulation, specifically the repeal of the Glass-Steagall Act in 1999.

This law was enacted in 1933, 90 years ago, after the bank crisis that helped bring on the Great Depression. It separated commercial banks from investment banks among other new rules. . . .

And for decades, Glass-Steagall kept the banking system safe and sound, even though it was gradually whittled away at the margins. It certainly wouldn’t have allowed commercial banks to invest in the derivatives and other exotic pieces of financial engineering that followed its repeal. Or the lap dog regulators that allowed them to hide on balance sheets until the crisis.

After the Panic of 2008 nearly imploded the banking system, Congress passed the Dodd-Frank Act, which tightened bank regulation. But it was no modernized Glass-Steagall and its toughest provisions were loosened in 2018, encouraged by President Donald Trump.

Those seeking schadenfreude will be pleased to know that the bill’s co-sponsor, former Democratic Rep. Barney Frank, was a paid board member of Signature Bank, which dabbled in cryptocurrencies and was shut down soon after Silicon Valley Bank. . . .

[T]he failure to bring the rule of law to the “banksters” after the Panic of 2008 seeded today’s regulatory failure.

The Justice Department and SEC are reportedly investigating Silicon Valley Bank’s collapse.

I wouldn’t bank on it.

Yes many bankers should have been jailed in 2008. They werent. They got bailed out and never learnt their lesson. A country like China or Russia would have imposed harsh punishments on the bankers.
    Do you believe that people should go to jail "just because", or do you think it's a good idea that they are found guilty in a court of breaking a law of some kind first?
    Ok have you seen the movie the big short where Baum is listening to some guy brag about cdos and cds s. You are deliberately creating systemic risk to enrich yourself. You think that should be allowed. Im not talking ordinary stock and bond trading here.
    What specific law is it you think they broke?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,134
    maxh said:

Reed said:

TimS said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

Of course he is. It'll be a triumph to maintain the persona much longer, but well done so far!

• Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,452
    First day below £15 on the smartmeter for months today.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,489
    Reed said:

TimS said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

More bolt holes away from The Front? Fine by me, allowing PB to help out UKR.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Reed said:

rcs1000 said:

Reed said:

I wouldn’t bank on it.

You are being too legalistic. The bankers deliberately created systemic risk to enrich themselves. That should be of a crime in itself. We have crimes of reckless driving wherecsomeone who kills someone can be jailed even if they didnt intend any harm. Likewise for bankers.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,134
    TimS said:

Do you track your historic usage - by the half-hour - from n3rgy.com ?

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,848
    Meanwhile at SNP HQ....

• Options

One thing Jon Talton of the Seattle Times doesn't mention is that before its collapse, there were many inside Washington Mutual who knew of its problems. A newspaper that was better on covering business than the Seattle Times could have found that out, and revealed those problems, perhaps even in time to save WaMu.

(As I recall Talton was not working for the Times then, so he doesn't have and personal blame for that failure, but his columns don't make me think he would have done better.)

Knew a guy who was some kind of aide to WaMu head honcho.

He was an idiot. Reckon the boss was even dumber, certainly no smarter.
  • Options
    Reed said:

rcs1000 said:

Reed said:

rcs1000 said:

Reed said:

I wouldn’t bank on it.

You are being too legalistic. The bankers deliberately created systemic risk to enrich themselves. That should be of a crime in itself. We have crimes of reckless driving wherecsomeone who kills someone can be jailed even if they didnt intend any harm. Likewise for bankers.
    You might want to read up on The Rule of Law.

Places with it tend to be prosperous and the people are well protected from their rulers. While places without it tend to be shitholes.

It's easy to tell which is which from the outside: the shitholes are the places people are fleeing from, and the other places are the ones they are fleeing to.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    Ratters said:

I feel like we should keep the new troll pet for Friday evening entertainment, and then return to a mix of Scottish sub samples, holiday pictures and predicting large Labour polling leads in the morning?

You won’t get THIRTY POINT LEAD NAILED ON with Horse banned.

I actually think we have passed the size of lead peak. Labour won’t lead by thirty again. Not in what is left of this parliament anyway.
  • Options
    @HTScotPol
    The SNP has now updated its previous statement, showing it tried to rely on sophistry

https://twitter.com/HTScotPol/status/1636818708461961230
  • Options
    Reed said:

Omnium said:

Reed said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

trysexual?
    Why was it shocking?

Dont think there is any need for schools to be teaching things like bondage etc. Most kids will see it all on the internet anyway so its pretty redundant.
    Bondage is well known to be straight after Maths on Tuesday morning in most English Junior Schools and comes right before Woke Studies.
  • Options
    Reed said:

Omnium said:

Reed said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

trysexual?
    Why was it shocking?

Do schools actually 'teach' bondage? I mean, I remember being taught various knots, but I never realised it was for that reason ...
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    The SNP needs a Jim Murphy figure to step in.
  • Options
    maxh said:

Reed said:

TimS said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

Yes. Leon FAR to savvy to use a compromised email address. (Unless you include spectator.co.uk?)
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,445
    Cookie said:

TimS said:

His last comments are available to read here.

https://vf.politicalbetting.com/profile/comments/CorrectHorseBattery3
  • Options
    Latest statement from @theSNP HQ on the apparent discrepancies in membership figures...

• Options
    UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 780
    rcs1000 said:

Reed said:

rcs1000 said:

Reed said:

rcs1000 said:

Reed said:

I wouldn’t bank on it.

Places with it tend to be prosperous and the people are well protected from their rulers. While places without it tend to be shitholes.

It's easy to tell which is which from the outside: the shitholes are the places people are fleeing from, and the other places are the ones they are fleeing to.
    I found it fascinating to discover that, apparently, the concept of an outlaw didn't refer to someone who broke the law but was rather a punishment for people who had committed a crime. They were outside the protection of the law, and that was their punishment.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Andy_JS said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

Typically a comment that results in you being banned is deleted.
  • Options

Reed said:

Omnium said:

Reed said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

trysexual?
    Why was it shocking?

Do schools actually 'teach' bondage? I mean, I remember being taught various knots, but I never realised it was for that reason ...
    No bondage at my old school. But certainly some S&M anyway. For example, teachers who made a point of displaying their fearsome-looking paddles (at least for 4th-graders) in their classrooms, as a warning to the turbulent and unruly.
  • Options

Reed said:

Omnium said:

Reed said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

trysexual?
    Why was it shocking?

Your child right now - without your knowledge - is being indoctrinated at school by hardcore woke teachers.

If only we had proper education, where they concentrated on other more important things, like how Ukrainains are really Russian, and it's OK to kill them if they don't realize this.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624
    Scott_xP said:

Latest statement from @theSNP HQ on the apparent discrepancies in membership figures...

I have to find the context for that quote as I cannot tell what the hell it is supposed to mean.
  • Options
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624
    edited March 2023
    rcs1000 said:

Reed said:

rcs1000 said:

Reed said:

rcs1000 said:

Reed said:

I wouldn’t bank on it.

You mean the book by Tom Bingham? It is a cracking good read.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rule-Law-Tom-Bingham/dp/014103453X
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,494
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

I have to find the context for that quote as I cannot tell what the hell it is supposed to mean.
    Ask Father Ted. He knows.

• Options
    kle4 said:

That was the excuse for the 600 grand they can't find
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    edited March 2023

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Andy_JS said:

Projected Labour seats has dropped from 369 to 362 in just 24 hours with UKPollingReport's forecast.

Must be a reflection of a small uptick in the Tory share in many recent opinion polls.

320, here we come....
    Oh dear, one or two getting a bit excited on here tonight. A swing in a by-election, a win in Scotland and a couple of not-quite-so-bad polls and suddenly Sunak will be Prime Minister until 2029,

Techne has the Conservatives AND Labour up one point so well within MoE while YouGov has a four point rise but that poll last week looked a big outlier and so it proved - Labour also up one and the combined LD/Green/Reform number down three so tiny moves but of course if you're desperate for good news you'll grab anything that comes past. Survation has the Conservatives AND Labour up three each so perhaps another outlier.

Yes, some of the really big leads of the Truss/Kwarteng period have passed but the polls continue to show Labour leads between 15 and 20 points.
    In 2017 and 2015 it was Survation who were right and the other pollsters who were wrong
    Survation's data tables show a 15.5% swing from Conservative to Labour in England so that would mean the Conservative Parliamentary party down to around 170 seats and that's before any tactical voting.
    Which would still be higher than the number of seats they won in 1997 and 2001 as I said.

I think if you're comparing 170 seats positively to 165 or 166, fine. The Conservatives went into opposition for 13 years after the 1997 defeat so we could easily see a three-term Labour Government which would mean the Conservatives would be back in 2039.
    They also went into the 1997 election without a majority, go into this one with a 80 seat landslide, so would be one of the most historic of turnarounds.

Rishi is just not moving voter backing back to where it was under Boris. The week of a continued austerity budget he has moved the national grid to heat his swimming pool. The coalition Boris built can never be achieved by Rishi Sunak.
    On the other hand no party has won a 5th consecutive general election since universal suffrage in 1918.

The economy is also in a worse situation than 1997 which would then be Labour's problem if they took power
    5th election in row is a bit fake claim don’t you agree?, in years it only 13 to cram 4 in, 5 Primeministers. You have been holding some every 2 years, rather bizarrely declaring the post Brexit vote 2017 parliament a dead parliament merely on basis it disagreed with Boris hard as nails Brexit.
    No party has won a general election after 14 or more years in power since 1918 either, if the next general election is next year
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Reed said:

Omnium said:

Reed said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

trysexual?
    Why was it shocking?

Bondage is well known to be straight after Maths on Tuesday morning in most English Junior Schools and comes right before Woke Studies.
    That's nonsense - it's *after* Woke Studies. And *between* that and Double French.

It is known.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    Andy_JS said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

I was about to post RIP Horse, as you post his dying last PB comments!

However having re read it seems he was only banned. Pity as I always got on OK with him but OGH's rules I suppose
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Is that something to do with big things far away and small things near?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,494
    rcs1000 said:

Reed said:

Omnium said:

Reed said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

trysexual?
    Why was it shocking?

Or of course they could take some lessons from this rather jolly bit of Guardian. A tiny bit of me thinks it may be a useful antidote to internet porn. Only occasionally toe curling, any 11 year old would learn a lot.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2023/mar/17/couples-reveal-the-little-things-that-make-a-relationship-work

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,503
    edited March 2023

rcs1000 said:

Reed said:

Omnium said:

Reed said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

trysexual?
    Why was it shocking?

That's nonsense - it's *after* Woke Studies. And *between* that and Double French.

It is known.
    Surely between woodwork and a bit of Greek?
  • Options
    Is it possible, that current Queen Fish of the SNP, did NOT give much (or maybe any) advance warning to party officials & staff, including the IT department, of her intention to step down and thus launch a leadership election?

An administrative/logistical undertaking that's sure to be quite challenging, even with more-or-less adequate notice.

In fact, similar kind of challenge is one reason why US Democratic Party has largely replaced precinct caucuses run by the party, with presidential primaries run by state and local election authorities.

Remember how the 2020 Iowa precinct caucuses collapsed into a bad farce, even with (or rather exacerbated by) "assistance" from the DNC?

Not quite as bad in WA State in 2016, but bad enough. Which was big reason why state party went to presidential primary in 2020.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

rcs1000 said:

Reed said:

Omnium said:

Reed said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

trysexual?
    Why was it shocking?

Or of course they could take some lessons from this rather jolly bit of Guardian. A tiny bit of me thinks it may be a useful antidote to internet porn. Only occasionally toe curling, any 11 year old would learn a lot.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2023/mar/17/couples-reveal-the-little-things-that-make-a-relationship-work

#9 for us. Mrs J works home for two days a week, and when our son starts early on a Friday, we take a longer two-mile walk home. During that time, we chew the cud. It's really great just to chat, and laugh, as we walk, without the everyday stresses of life intruding.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,108
    Scott_xP said:

Meanwhile at SNP HQ....

Murray Foote.

Sigh.

Gone.
  • Options

Omnium said:

Reed said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

trysexual?
    Why was it shocking?

I had my first wank aged only 12

EDIT: Um, too much info :blush:
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Reed said:

Omnium said:

Reed said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

trysexual?
    Why was it shocking?

Your child right now - without your knowledge - is being indoctrinated at school by hardcore woke teachers.

If only we had proper education, where they concentrated on other more important things, like how Ukrainains are really Russian, and it's OK to kill them if they don't realize this.
    I note you spelt 'realise' with the improper yankian spelling. You are therefore an American troll, here to sow discord amongst us timid PB-folk. Are you sure your email's not on a blacklist?
  • Options

Omnium said:

Reed said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

trysexual?
    Why was it shocking?

Are you saying you've been a wanker for thirty years, Sunil?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,336
    Reed said:

TimS said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

Try Twitter instead, then.
    There’s hordes like you.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Is that something to do with big things far away and small things near?
    It is certainly the case that the membership are both far away, and much smaller than was claimed...

It's almost a shame Stuart isn't here.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,328
    TimS said:

Never been more than 3.50 but I use oil....
  • Options
    edited March 2023

TimS said:

I don't think mine's ever gone above £8, and I use gas. Am I doing it wrong?
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,328
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Reed said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

trysexual?
    Why was it shocking?

Sunil have you done the bit from Ryde to the pier head on a train?
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Andy_JS said:

320, here we come....

No party has won a general election after 14 or more years in power since 1918 either, if the next general election is next year
    The Liberals who had been in power from 1905 to 1915 lost the general election of 1918. Indeed, their leader lost his seat. The majority party were the Unionists, who had only been in power since 1915. Admittedly they (well, the governments they formed) were led by a member of the Liberal National grouping.

You actually have to go back to 1826 to find a time when a party in power for fourteen years won an election.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Reed said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

trysexual?
    Why was it shocking?

You sick bastard! (Just kidding)
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,336
    rcs1000 said:

Reed said:

rcs1000 said:

Reed said:

rcs1000 said:

Reed said:

I wouldn’t bank on it.

Apologists for murderous autocracies practicing whataboutery is depressingly common these days.
    Reed them and weep.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Reed said:

Reed said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

trysexual?
    Is that a come on. I always thought you were admiring me across the room.
    Reed said:

Reed said:

These are not conspiracy theorists these are the principle opinion leaders of Europe. Now let us have constructive argument.

Do you like piggies Reed? I bloody love them, and I want to get a mini pig breed for our place, which I am sure I can properly house train.

But my dear GF says no, you can’t have a pig living in a plush third floor Chelsea flat!

But plush Chelsea flats housed roman abramovich for all those many years 😤
    Ah personal attacks. I love them. It means ive hit a nerve.
    Would people please go easy on posts like this? Irony meters like everything else are going up like (insert crude sexual joke about Putin here)
  • Options
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Reed said:

Omnium said:

Reed said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

trysexual?
    Why was it shocking?

It is known.
    As a busy medico, one suspect you MAY have attended at least one case, where the patient manged (somehow) to lodge his Anabasis up his fundament, while . . . err . . . cramming for an . . . err . . . exam?
  • Options

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Reed said:

Omnium said:

Reed said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

trysexual?
    Why was it shocking?

It is known.
    As a busy medico, one suspect you MAY have attended at least one case, where the patient manged (somehow) to lodge his Anabasis up his fundament, while . . . err . . . cramming for an . . . err . . . exam?
    Promotion of Corporal, was it?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Reed said:

Omnium said:

Reed said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

trysexual?
    Why was it shocking?

It is known.
    No clue what you mean. Doubtless your practical knowledge of "Greek" far exceeds my own/
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Reed said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

trysexual?
    Why was it shocking?

Yes, indeed I have! Back in 2016, Island Line had no issues. Had to ride the old Class 483s (converted 1938 Tube Stock), but they have been replaced by Class 484s (converted D Stock dating from 1979).
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Reed said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

trysexual?
    Why was it shocking?

I only masturbate for "research purposes".
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,111

rcs1000 said:

Reed said:

Omnium said:

Reed said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

trysexual?
    Why was it shocking?

I note you spelt 'realise' with the improper yankian spelling. You are therefore an American troll, here to sow discord amongst us timid PB-folk. Are you sure your email's not on a blacklist?
    There are few things that boil my piss more than people getting wound up about the very minor differences between US and British English spelling. The world isn’t going to end if we stop spelling colour with a ‘u’.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Reed said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

trysexual?
    Why was it shocking?

I only masturbate for "research purposes".
    I only mass debate on the internet :smile:
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Reed said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

trysexual?
    Why was it shocking?

Thirty? Thirty-five in fact!

(oops!)
  • Options
    I am starting to wonder if the SNP are trying to destroy themselves. They've found I think the only possible way to make the Murray Foote story worse.

The party was asked a specific question about loss of members as a direct result of the GRR [gender recognition reform] Bill and Indyref2. The answer given was intended to make clear that these two reasons had not been the cause of significant numbers of members leaving.
    "The membership figure is normally produced annually and is not produced in response to individual media queries, including in this instance.
    "In retrospect, however, we should not have relied on an understanding of people's reasons for leaving as the basis of the information given to Murray and, thereafter, the media.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-64993032

To say 'we lied and we got caught but we misunderstood the question so technically we are just thick' isn't exactly a great look.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Reed said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

trysexual?
    Why was it shocking?

Thirty? Thirty-five in fact!

(oops!)
    I love the way you casually tossed that out.
  • Options
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,111

Is it possible, that current Queen Fish of the SNP, did NOT give much (or maybe any) advance warning to party officials & staff, including the IT department, of her intention to step down and thus launch a leadership election?

An administrative/logistical undertaking that's sure to be quite challenging, even with more-or-less adequate notice.

In fact, similar kind of challenge is one reason why US Democratic Party has largely replaced precinct caucuses run by the party, with presidential primaries run by state and local election authorities.

Remember how the 2020 Iowa precinct caucuses collapsed into a bad farce, even with (or rather exacerbated by) "assistance" from the DNC?

Not quite as bad in WA State in 2016, but bad enough. Which was big reason why state party went to presidential primary in 2020.

I was going to comment but I have no desire to be labelled a Scotch Expert. From the outside I can only comment…WTF is going on?
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 6,975

Reed said:

Reed said:

ydoethur said:

Reed said:

geoffw said:

Re: "Reed" - perhaps worth noting, that Reed College in Portland, Oregon was alma mater of John Reed, author of "Ten Days That Shook the World" who died and was buried in Moscow in 1920, in Red Square just a kopeck's throw from Mad Vlad the Elder.

Coincidence? Conspiracy? Kismet? Or more Kremlin Bullshit?

A good u/g university friend in the 1960s spent an academic year on an exchange at Reed.
    I note that John Reed is not mentioned in the Wiki list of famous Reed alumni
    Reed said:

Nigelb said:

Reed said:

Love how me talking aboutbyhe banking system has me accused of being a russian troll. Or was it my comments on universities im confused lol .

Still no "source" for that "tweet" which "you" posted?
    ChatFSB ?
    Ok guys heres the source. To be fair i think the source has a certain "angle" on things. Doesnt mean they are wrong though. Watch the video. Its based on what Yellen said when they were questioned in congress.

https://twitter.com/BernieSpofforth/status/1636765921434804225?s=20

Janet Yellen is worryingly unconvincing in her reply to the Oklahoma senator about the knock-on consequences for community banks.

Basically Yellen was saying the deposits of systematically unimportant banks wont be guaranteed. Hence the danger of a run on the regional banks.
    Do you mean 'systemically unimportant banks?' Or do they fail according to rota?
    No, they fail when The Chairman presses the buttons on his control panel at the meeting. The one where we give the Illuminati their marching orders.

What public school did you go to by the way.
    Колыма́
    You know most posters engage on here in a sensible constructive way. You never do. Why is that. Like i say you have all the hallmarks of a public schoolboy atrempting to display social superiority with sarcastic putdowns.
    I'm unsure which PB poster you're referring to: we all have the hallmarks of public schoolboys atrempting to display social superiority with sarcastic putdowns. Even Malc.
    Nah. Malc just lobs turnips at people
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Reed said:

Omnium said:

Reed said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

trysexual?
    Why was it shocking?

It is known.
    No clue what you mean. Doubtless your practical knowledge of "Greek" far exceeds my own/
    That was a rank remark.
  • Options
    Reed said:

This is very interesting from John Mappin. Watch the video.

VITAL BRIEFING FROM SWITZERLAND FROM AN ALPINE EYRIE. “The principal opinion formers of Europe have now concluded unequivocally that the West’s misadventure in supporting the Ukraine has been one of the greatest geopolitical errors of this and probably the previous century. As you will have noticed principal banks around the world are failing, even Credit Suisse, one if the more stable banks has had to request additional collateral from the Swiss government and all of this, directly or indirectly, is as a result of war mongers, those who profit from war, instigating the provocation of Presidnet Putin in relation to the Ukraine and beyond. It’s very obvious that President Putin has been extremely patient with the west and has dealt with the matter in an entirely moderate way and in a way that is not taking advantage of his position. But there is no question that the confidence in what the west is doing in Ukraine is now finished and that the out come will not be as the western media is presenting.

https://twitter.com/JohnMappin/status/1636520389332332555?s=20

I had dinner earlier this week with someone you wouldn’t approve of.

His view was the only thing Credit Suisse has going for is it’s name

The Swiss government won’t let “Suisse” go down

• Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,116

TimS said:

Same. Just bought 750 litres at 70 p a litre. Should make it to Christmas…
  • Options

I've just finished reading Ben Macintyre's book "The Spy and the Traitor: The Greatest Espionage Story of the Cold War" about Oleg Gordievsky. It's quite a fascinating story, and almost unbelievable in some details. Our friend Vladimir Putin makes a few appearances as well.

Well worth a read, IMO. The story of his exfiltration is quite amazing, especially the involvement of cheese and onion crisps and a baby's nappy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oleg_Gordievsky

Ingenious improvising with the nappy
  • Options
    This thread has

used four ellipses

• Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,571
    Reed said:

This is very interesting from John Mappin. Watch the video.

VITAL BRIEFING FROM SWITZERLAND FROM AN ALPINE EYRIE. “The principal opinion formers of Europe have now concluded unequivocally that the West’s misadventure in supporting the Ukraine has been one of the greatest geopolitical errors of this and probably the previous century. As you will have noticed principal banks around the world are failing, even Credit Suisse, one if the more stable banks has had to request additional collateral from the Swiss government and all of this, directly or indirectly, is as a result of war mongers, those who profit from war, instigating the provocation of Presidnet Putin in relation to the Ukraine and beyond. It’s very obvious that President Putin has been extremely patient with the west and has dealt with the matter in an entirely moderate way and in a way that is not taking advantage of his position. But there is no question that the confidence in what the west is doing in Ukraine is now finished and that the out come will not be as the western media is presenting.

https://twitter.com/JohnMappin/status/1636520389332332555?s=20

'one of the greatest geopolitical errors of this and probably the previous century.'

I think we are overreacting a bit there. It has to go some way to match Japan attacking Pearl Harbour or Hitler declaring war on America for instance, just to mention two.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,826
    rcs1000 said:

Reed said:

I wouldn’t bank on it.

Being found guilty in a court is not actually proof of guilt depending on the court to be fair
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,826

Reed said:

Omnium said:

Reed said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

trysexual?
    Why was it shocking?

Wasn't knots more a scouts thing?
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Reed said:

Omnium said:

Reed said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

trysexual?
    Why was it shocking?

Wasn't knots more a scouts thing?
    You didn't go to the wrong sort of school. ;)

(And yes, I did learn some knots at school.)
This discussion has been closed.