Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Lineker gets his job back with the BBC bosses the losers – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,081

No PB header IN CAPITAL LETTERS slagging off the latest Scottish poll?

Whyever not?? According to PB the SNP and SLab were neck and neck a couple of days ago. We deserve to be told why the SNP now suddenly has a 10 point lead.

Either the SNP has had a fantastic week… or PB publishes a load of blatant shite. You decide.

The plaintive little voices asking if we’ve reached peak SNP perhaps right to be plaintive.

• Options

Cocaine Bear is either the best film I've ever seen or the worst I've ever seen.

Then I had venison for the first time in five years.

I need to eat it more often.

Is there ANYTHING in Cocaine Bear you can't get from the trailer?
    No.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,886

Eabhal said:

DougSeal said:

Whyever not?? According to PB the SNP and SLab were neck and neck a couple of days ago. We deserve to be told why the SNP now suddenly has a 10 point lead.

Either the SNP has had a fantastic week… or PB publishes a load of blatant shite. You decide.

You are a very strange and troubled man. I say that as someone who is also, albeit in a radically different way
    "Very strange and troubled man" = most PB posters, tbh. That's pretty much what my girlfriend makes of me.
    I have to confess I am pretty much a normal, well-balanced person. Sorry to let the side down and all that.
    You do seem to have very big ears though.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115

Eabhal said:

DougSeal said:

You are a very strange and troubled man. I say that as someone who is also, albeit in a radically different way
    "Very strange and troubled man" = most PB posters, tbh. That's pretty much what my girlfriend makes of me.
    I have to confess I am pretty much a normal, well-balanced person. Sorry to let the side down and all that.
    Can we get a second opinion on that please?
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,106

Cocaine Bear is either the best film I've ever seen or the worst I've ever seen.

Is there ANYTHING in Cocaine Bear you can't get from the trailer?
    Or the title?
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Holyrood Voting Intention

Constituency Vote (FPTP):

SNP: 43% (+2)
    Lab: 26% (-2)
    Con: 15% (-3)
    LD: 8% (=)
    Grn: 4% (+2)

Regional Vote:

SNP: 35% (=)
    Lab: 25% (-2)
    Con: 16% (-2)
    Grn: 11% (+2)
    LD: 8% (+1)
    Ref: 3% (+1)
    Alba: 2% (=)

YouGov, 9-13 Mar

(Changes with 20 Feb)
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,426
    edited March 2023
    Did she really say this?

Kate Forbes has said a gay person should be allowed the “choice” to have conversion therapy.

https://twitter.com/electpoliticsuk/status/1635363097442648067

Gay conversion therapy is a form of abuse.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,418
    maxh said:

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

I have purposefully kept off the topic of SureStart because I admit it is quite a way outside of my knowledge.

When I made my original comments I was probably thinking more towards the government facilitating more independently conceived community projects and initiatives, as opposed to top-down schemes like SureStart (though I can see the benefit in those too). That just comes from personal philosophy, I think.

I would like to see more facilities being returned to local communities. I think a lot of what divides us as a society is emphasised when we exist in bubbles.

If I go to my hypothetical adult illiterally reduced by 50%. What I would actually do if I was in charge is pick the 30 councils with highest adult illiteracy. Say here you are 5 million ring fenced, half adult illiteracy in your area. This is how we are going to measure it. Then go back 2 years later assess them all against target and then roll out the best programs nationwide
    They did have pilot schemes for SureStart for instance. Great minds and all that.
    https://usir.salford.ac.uk/id/eprint/2249/1/finalreportsurestart.pdf

This is also quite promising (ignore the vbox that asks you to join, the download or read buttons are top right)

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/264857750_Sure_Start_Plus_National_Evaluation_Final_Report
    In a former life I evaluated the impact of something called ‘budget holding lead professionals’ which was horrible jargon for a great idea. In short the professionals working closest to eg a kid at risk were given cash to spend on interventions that would help that kid (in consultation with the family).

The case study that sticks in my mind was a social worker that bought a family a second hand washing machine for £80 or so. The kids clothes were clean, he stopped being bullied at school and avoided likely permanent exclusion with all the attendant costs that come with that. For £80.

That was a memorable but not unusual example of the impact of the programme. The vfm was amazing.

But the programme got canned. I remember sitting with the chief executive of Coventry Council when he explained why: ‘if we go forward with this programme, the headlines in the Daily Mail would be “Council buys scroungers washing machines”. We won’t be able to make it work politically.’

So sad.
    That is sad. Compared to the vast sums spent on care, £80 on a washing machine is bargainous, and helps keep families together. A shame as you say, though it is something that could be replicated by the charity sector.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995

Did she really say this?

Kate Forbes has said a gay person should be allowed the “choice” to have conversion therapy.

Sunak is clearly opposed to that.

If Forbes becomes FM it would be like the SNP electing Ann Widdecombe their leader, it will be hilarious seeing SNP MSPs horror if she wins!
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667

Eabhal said:

DougSeal said:

You do seem to have very big ears though.
    Thanks for not mentioning my nose.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977

The plaintive little voices asking if we’ve reached peak SNP perhaps right to be plaintive.

Do you think any of the candidates can do better then Sturgeon, out of interest?
  • Options

Did she really say this?

With no source, and a Tweet beneath seeming to contradict this strongly, I think caution is needed.
  • Options
    Yousaf 1/2
    Forbes 2/1

Yousaf the value there.
  • Options
    edited March 2023

Sturgeon is still SNP leader and FM.

Meanwhile, in today's Yougov/Sky poll of Scots '27% say Forbes would be a good first minister.

A total of 22% said the same about health secretary Mr Yousaf and 14% thought positively of ex-minister Ms Regan.

But all three recorded higher figures when it came to those who thought they would be a bad leader of the country - 44% for Mr Yousaf, 39% for Ms Regan and 36% for Ms Forbes.

And most thought they would be worse at the top job than the outgoing Ms Sturgeon, with just 17% thinking Ms Forbes would do better, 8% thinking Ms Regan would be an improvement and 6% thinking Mr Yousaf would be an upgrade.'
    https://news.sky.com/story/snp-leadership-scottish-independence-support-at-just-39-poll-says-12832783
  • Options

Did she really say this?

With no source, and a Tweet beneath seeming to contradict this strongly, I think caution is needed.
    Footage

https://twitter.com/AlexofBrown/status/1635374493672816641
  • Options
    edited March 2023

Do you think any of the candidates can do better then Sturgeon, out of interest?
    Unlikely, and certainly not Regan. However to quote a PBer in another context, either of the other two may surprise on the upside.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,600

That's 4 Scottish poll leads of 10% or less in a row. Yet around a year ago YouGov were publishing headline leads of 24% and 28%.

Your relief when celebrating an increase in a YouGov poll of 1% is palpable and revealing.

It seems a tad premature though. Look at Yousless's ratings in that same poll that you are lauding.

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,612

Unlikely, and certainly not Regan. However to quote a PBer in another context, either of the other two may surprise on the upside.
    Is that code for their being so low in your estimation that further downside is not possible, leaving only upside?
  • Options
    Labour Rebuttals Unit snake slithers out from under rock. Plus ça change.
  • Options
    In 2009 I was paid £15/hr as a pool lifeguard.
    In 2023 I have a BSc, a masters, a medical degree, surgical postgrad exams and teach junior doctors.
    They pay me £19.10/hr before tax.
    Many operations don't take the full hour to complete.
    #JuniorDoctorsStrike

https://twitter.com/beckybeckyfish/status/1635298363947233282?s=46
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Is that code for their being so low in your estimation that further downside is not possible, leaving only upside?
    It didn't turn out to be the case with Truss who managed to surprise even her harshest critics on the downside.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

No, they’re nowhere near as awful as the recent Tory beauty parade inflicted upon us, so a shorter journey to the upside.
  • Options

Foxy said:

No, they’re nowhere near as awful as the recent Tory beauty parade inflicted upon us, so a shorter journey to the upside.
    They all look pretty poor to me.

What a parcel of rogues in a nation!
  • Options

Holyrood Voting Intention

Constituency Vote (FPTP):

SNP: 43% (+2)
    Lab: 26% (-2)
    Con: 15% (-3)
    LD: 8% (=)
    Grn: 4% (+2)

Regional Vote:

SNP: 35% (=)
    Lab: 25% (-2)
    Con: 16% (-2)
    Grn: 11% (+2)
    LD: 8% (+1)
    Ref: 3% (+1)
    Alba: 2% (=)

YouGov, 9-13 Mar

(Changes with 20 Feb)

In 2021 the SNP also got 48% on the constituency vote and 40% on the regional vote, so even under Sturgeon it is declining
  • Options

Did she really say this?

Footage

That footage directly contradicts the original Tweet.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,503
    Here's a story that illustrates just how tied together everything is. Recently, a Ukrainian family arrived, as refugees in this area. The family used their savings to buy a used Kia for about 9K, so the father could use it to look for work. A week or two after they bought it, it was stolen by a group of teenagers, who took it for a joy ride, and wrecked it.

Where they are staying, Covington, a Seattle exurb, they would need a car.

Why a Kia? Probably because there have been videos on TikTok showing how easy it is to steal some models of Kias and Hyundais. (Those, as I understand it, with old-fashioned ignition keys, instead of fobs.)

The good news is that a GoFundMe sitehas already raised -- when last I heard -- 14K for the family.

So, Ukrainian refugees in America, who bought a South Korean car, had it stolen, most likely because of a video (American?) on a Chinese social media site, but have been rescued, possibly, by American donors.

(I would have chipped in a few bucks had I known about their loss in time.)

• Options
    edited March 2023
    DougSeal said:

Well Mr Dickson has just called me a snake, so I have to hiss and agree with you.

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Hey @Foxy what is this strike all about. An outsider's impression is that (junior or indeed any) doctors are paid a fortune now and will be paid even more of a fortune as they progress further.

What's the scoop behind the £19/hr.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

Did she really say this?

Footage

Yes, at the end she said she doesn’t think conversion therapy should be allowed.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Well at least we’re responsible for our own parcel, while we get your’s rammed through our letterbox whether we like it or not.
  • Options

Did she really say this?

Footage

Yup.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,453

Did she really say this?

Footage

Bizarre answer though, it's "his choice" but she doesn't think it should be allowed..?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Hey @Foxy what is this strike all about. An outsider's impression is that (junior or indeed any) doctors are paid a fortune now and will be paid even more of a fortune as they progress further.

That is what they are asking as the starting rate.

They got a 9% real terms pay cut this year, equivalent to working a month extra for no pay. Of course they are striking. Who would accept that lying down?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744

It's neither the best or worst. But I liked it. It was dumb, but its humour worked.
  • Options

Did she really say this?

Footage

Bizarre answer though, it's "his choice" but she doesn't think it should be allowed..?
    Yes, it is contradictory, and frankly, I think personally she's probably OK with conversion therapy (or believes Bible reading and long walks are the answer). However, though her initial response is odd, she definitely sticks to the line that it shouldn't be allowed.
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,157

That's 4 Scottish poll leads of 10% or less in a row. Yet around a year ago YouGov were publishing headline leads of 24% and 28%.

Your relief when celebrating an increase in a YouGov poll of 1% is palpable and revealing.

It seems a tad premature though. Look at Yousless's ratings in that same poll that you are lauding.

What seems to be the case is from the Survation, R&W, and Yougov polls is that...
    -Scottish Labour have hit 30% in the GE polls and may well be above it
    -The SNP may well have fallen below 40%
    -Scottish Labour are now starting to attract 2014 yes voters from the SNP, rather than just unionists from the SCONS.
    -There doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm for any of Sturgeon's successors
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

They got a 9% real terms pay cut this year, equivalent to working a month extra for no pay. Of course they are striking. Who would accept that lying down?
    So what does the median "junior doctor" earn either per hour or annually.

And what is the expected career/salary path of a junior doctor.

I'm sure they don't all end up as consultants dividing their time between the odd NHS clinic and their Harley Street practices earning squillions but have we got it wrong that doctors are relatively very well paid?
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,032

If you don’t like it you can collect your membership fee and leave
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Well at least we’re responsible for our own parcel, while we get your’s rammed through our letterbox whether we like it or not.
    I am not very keen on our options either.

Surely there is someone better in Scotland than these 3 though?
  • Options
    edited March 2023

I’m not changing my mind about Everything Everywhere All At Once. It’s still overlong, boring, unfunny, confused, over acted, dud of a film.

Elvis was OK though.
    Critics love originality. EEAAO was bloody weird, and that has its merits, I couldn't say I disliked it, but personally the emotional bits never gripped me. I get why people love it, but it'll be interesting to see if it is one of those films with cultural staying power.

Problem for me is the only other Best Picture nominees I actually saw were Top Gun Maverick and Avatar 2, and while I loved the former I'd be hard pressed to call it a worthy winner either, so cannot really judge.

I had zero interest watching Elvis.

Still a bit more variety than usual maybe? From the wikipedia summaries

Absurdist comedy-drama
    Foreign anti-war film
    Epic Sci-fi
    Black tragicomedy
    Biographical film
    Coming of age semi-autobiographical
    Psycologiacl drama
    Action drama
    Satirical black comedy
    Drama
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    MaxPB said:

We got Jen down early so we watched Everything Everywhere All At Once on Amazon prime.

Absolutely brilliant. My wife was in tears at points. It's been a really difficult few months for me and for my wife, there are times when we've been bullet proof but even we've realised we've been drifting apart since the end of last year because having a kid - not easy. Being reminded that we need to take joy from the smaller things in life and be kind to each other was very timely.

It's a 100% must watch. Easily the best movie we've had in a very, very long time.

I enjoyed it a lot, too.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

We got Jen down early so we watched Everything Everywhere All At Once on Amazon prime.

Absolutely brilliant. My wife was in tears at points. It's been a really difficult few months for me and for my wife, there are times when we've been bullet proof but even we've realised we've been drifting apart since the end of last year because having a kid - not easy. Being reminded that we need to take joy from the smaller things in life and be kind to each other was very timely.

It's a 100% must watch. Easily the best movie we've had in a very, very long time.

Glad you enjoyed it and sorry to hear about the challenges of parenthood.

The film is absolutely fantastic. I have been a Michelle Yeoh fan for I can say decades (I used to go to the all night Leicester Square cinema Chinese kung fu film showings) and she absolutely deserves the award, as do they all.

The film is just a riot of enjoyment and as you say, repays sitting back and letting it flow over you. I hope you have more such shared experiences with Jen. Sounds like it is a good tonic.

I mean you could do worse than watch (again?) Crouching Tiger...
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,979

maxh said:

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

I have purposefully kept off the topic of SureStart because I admit it is quite a way outside of my knowledge.

When I made my original comments I was probably thinking more towards the government facilitating more independently conceived community projects and initiatives, as opposed to top-down schemes like SureStart (though I can see the benefit in those too). That just comes from personal philosophy, I think.

I would like to see more facilities being returned to local communities. I think a lot of what divides us as a society is emphasised when we exist in bubbles.

If I go to my hypothetical adult illiterally reduced by 50%. What I would actually do if I was in charge is pick the 30 councils with highest adult illiteracy. Say here you are 5 million ring fenced, half adult illiteracy in your area. This is how we are going to measure it. Then go back 2 years later assess them all against target and then roll out the best programs nationwide
    They did have pilot schemes for SureStart for instance. Great minds and all that.

This is also quite promising (ignore the vbox that asks you to join, the download or read buttons are top right)

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/264857750_Sure_Start_Plus_National_Evaluation_Final_Report
    In a former life I evaluated the impact of something called ‘budget holding lead professionals’ which was horrible jargon for a great idea. In short the professionals working closest to eg a kid at risk were given cash to spend on interventions that would help that kid (in consultation with the family).

The case study that sticks in my mind was a social worker that bought a family a second hand washing machine for £80 or so. The kids clothes were clean, he stopped being bullied at school and avoided likely permanent exclusion with all the attendant costs that come with that. For £80.

That was a memorable but not unusual example of the impact of the programme. The vfm was amazing.

But the programme got canned. I remember sitting with the chief executive of Coventry Council when he explained why: ‘if we go forward with this programme, the headlines in the Daily Mail would be “Council buys scroungers washing machines”. We won’t be able to make it work politically.’

So sad.
    That is sad. Compared to the vast sums spent on care, £80 on a washing machine is bargainous, and helps keep families together. A shame as you say, though it is something that could be replicated by the charity sector.
    It’s the sort of thing you throw an annual grant at a charity to perform - issue is you lose a bit of control and the council may not want that
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

I'm sure they don't all end up as consultants dividing their time between the odd NHS clinic and their Harley Street practices earning squillions but have we got it wrong that doctors are relatively very well paid?
    Not all are, and the juniors do have expenses above what I had 30 years ago, in terms of tuition fees etc.

It is about staff retention and morale.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844
    Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

maxh said:

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

So sad.
    An example of something that was actually working and gave bang for buck

Politics is the poison in the national discourse
    I want solutions that deliver who gives a shit about the politics
    So long as theyt come out in the wash!
    shrugs joke all you want but I am all for pragmatism....this sounds

stodge said:

In the week of the Budget, I think it's worth remembering the current wage rises which are lauded by the Government and its supporters are bringing more people into the tax system because of the freeze on personal allowances.

I've seen a figure of 700,000 families now paying tax because rising earnings have brought them above the tax threshold - at the same time, rising wages are drawing more and more into the upper tax bracket as personal allowances are frozen.

It's little surprise the public finances seem to be doing better as so many who previously paid lower levels of tax are now, thanks to inflation, paying more tax - one might almost call it a stealth tax rise and for those of us who remember the Osborne years, a real sense of deja vu.

It's interesting the siren calls to cut corporation tax are much louder than those to raise personal allowances above the rate of inflation.

Interesting piece in City AM this morning on the issue of returning those aged 50 and above to work. It seems incentives mean nothing in the face of cultural mindset - 71% of those aged 45 and over think there is a bias against recruiting older workers. Should we be looking at tax breaks for companies who employ a high percentage of older workers?

Should be taking any notice of City AM where the term "tax cut" is replaced by "the lifting of tax revenue rates" ?

Something many of my peers are finding. Getting work when over 50 is a real struggle. Even though you may have a decade and a half of working life still ahead of you and the average time someone in their 20s stays in the same job is 3 years, employers look at older workers and think they are going to be retiring as soon as they are trained up.

I am not sure how you deal with this - particularly as I also advocate extending national insurance to those working after retirement - but it is true it is a real issue.
    I looked for a job last year aged 55....now 56. I used hackajob and I was getting companies contacting me to interview me every day...job I finally got was a week between first contact and contract. I think it depends on industry
  • Options
    The worry about the SNP rating holding up even as the Sturgeon replacements go after each other and do not poll brilliantly (by and large), is that it could mean that once they pick a winner they will be more adept at reunifying that I personally would like, if the base is not even temporarily rattled.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Not all are, and the juniors do have expenses above what I had 30 years ago, in terms of tuition fees etc.

It is about staff retention and morale.
    Yeah I get all that but are "junior doctors", which term I understand covers a lot of doctors, "underpaid".

What is the median salary? And do some underpaid junior doctors remain underpaid junior doctors for their entire career or do many or the majority move onwards to better (paying) medical jobs?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987

In 2023 I have a BSc, a masters, a medical degree, surgical postgrad exams and teach junior doctors.
    #JuniorDoctorsStrike

And how much does she get selling the appendix on the black market?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

The film is absolutely fantastic. I have been a Michelle Yeoh fan for I can say decades (I used to go to the all night Leicester Square cinema Chinese kung fu film showings) and she absolutely deserves the award, as do they all.

The film is just a riot of enjoyment and as you say, repays sitting back and letting it flow over you. I hope you have more such shared experiences with Jen. Sounds like it is a good tonic.

Yeah big fan of Michelle Yeoh, think I saw her in Crouching Tiger all those years ago and decided to keep up with as many of her movies as possible.

For me the star turn was the husband. It's so easy to be cynical about everything and everyone around us and I think it's more difficult these days to be positive and kind. It's a reminder that we should try and be positive for those around us because not everyone has that in their lives.
  • Options
    Bloody hell, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is 20yrs old this year.

Seems like yesterday. And I heard that Michelle Yeoh did her ACL on Day 2 of filming, waited a week or so for it to mend/had it mended, and was back on set two weeks later doing all the fight scenes.

Fantastic. She is a goddess.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Yeah big fan of Michelle Yeoh, think I saw her in Crouching Tiger all those years ago and decided to keep up with as many of her movies as possible.

For me the star turn was the husband. It's so easy to be cynical about everything and everyone around us and I think it's more difficult these days to be positive and kind. It's a reminder that we should try and be positive for those around us because not everyone has that in their lives.
    Absolutely. He had an endearing ingenuousness that we could all learn from. Especially on PB.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

There's a tendency, particularly online, to assume someone positive is a sucker, or a shill. I've certainly indulged in that a bit myself. But on the former, there are worse things to be, if the alternative is blackly cynical miserablism.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,453
    MaxPB said:

I have always been a fan of Ms Yeoh ever since Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, which is a great little gem of a film. I will have to catch it.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

I had venison last week, and it was excellent. I told the Maitre D that it was woke, and I was accepting his recommendation only under protest. But he looked at me like I was quite mad.

I'm, confused. Where's Leon?
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,032
    rcs1000 said:

#JuniorDoctorsStrike

24.1 minutes is a remarkably precise time to be taking out an appendix. Does she include prep time?

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

#JuniorDoctorsStrike

And you thought that was venison you ate?
  • Options
    edited March 2023

What seems to be the case is from the Survation, R&W, and Yougov polls is that...
    -Scottish Labour are now starting to attract 2014 yes voters from the SNP, rather than just unionists from the SCONS.
    Yes.

Also, as TSE pointed out in the last but one thread ("IS IT SCÖTTERDÄMMERUNG FOR THE SNP?"*) the changes in the net favourability ratings in the R&W poll are significant too. Lab with a net +10% favourability, SNP -1%. Unlike the headline figures in the R&W poll, the favourability ratings weren't subject to the (highly suspect) turnout adjustment applied to VI figures, so this time the opinions of a third of 2019 Lab voters weren't dismissed from the published result.

*Sorry Stuart, I'm quoting the PB thread header in capitals but then every PB thread header is written in capitals so maybe you'll just have to live with that. Besides it's easier to cut and paste rather that retype and I don't know the code to type umlauts.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I had venison last week, and it was excellent. I told the Maitre D that it was woke, and I was accepting his recommendation only under protest. But he looked at me like I was quite mad.

I'm, confused. Where's Leon?
    So, has Leon been banned so that @rcs1000 can take over his restaurant reviewing duties?
    Broke the cardinal rule of showing himself - how can I imagine myself eating the delicious venison onscreen if the illusion it is from my POV is broken?
  • Options
    Starmer amendment on illegal migration bill defeated 312 to 249
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Starmer amendment on illegal migration bill defeated 312 to 249

The details will be interesting
  • Options
    Oh @Foxy seems to have headed off.

Does anyone know the average salaries and likely career prospects of junior doctors?
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,340
    edited March 2023

#JuniorDoctorsStrike

I wonder why she doesn’t list her actual salary? Could it be that no one would have any sympathy, certainly not for a 35% increase?

By all means she should complain about the amount of work, but perhaps we might use the cash she wants to spend on a bigger house without solving the problem* in recruiting more staff instead…..?

*Is the BMA logic that they are happy with the hours so long as they get more beer tokens?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Does anyone know the average salaries and likely career prospects of junior doctors?

~£35k for juniors. Once they've done their training they're at ~£50k, once they've specialised anywhere from £80k-£150k. From graduation to specialism takes about 8-10 years.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    Yes, feelgood Oscars this year. Opposite to last year in that sense.
  • Options
    Anyway with that it's time for me to log off for the evening, Jen's down again so quality time beckons.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,185

#JuniorDoctorsStrike

About 36K a year. Presumably she will rise up the pay scale as she goes.
    You can argue about what medics should be paid. You can look at degradation relatively over the years (academia has seen this too). But I think using hourly rates is trying to disguise what is not a terrible salary, and this idea that she gets paid £7 to remove a kidney, or whatever, is rather puerile.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    rcs1000 said:

I think that I'd be calling in at the chip shop on the way home if that was all I was given on my plate.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    MaxPB said:

Top Gun Maverick though and All Quiet on the Western front also strong contenders, Austin Butler should have won Best Actor for his Elvis too in my view even if it was an emotional win for Brendan Fraser.

I am sure Everything Everywhere is enjoyable but it is yet another year where the films most of the punters watch do not win the Oscars. Indeed a genuinely big box office hit hasn't won the Oscar for best film since the King's Speech and Slumdog Millionaire over 10 years ago, no wonder Oscars viewing figures continue to decline and the last one to make more than a billion dollars was Lord of the Rings
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,340

Yes.

Also, as TSE pointed out in the last but one thread ("IS IT SCÖTTERDÄMMERUNG FOR THE SNP?"*) the changes in the net favourability ratings in the R&W poll are significant too. Lab with a net +10% favourability, SNP -1%. Unlike the headline figures in the R&W poll, the favourability ratings weren't subject to the (highly suspect) turnout adjustment applied to VI figures, so this time the opinions of a third of 2019 Lab voters weren't dismissed from the published result.

*Sorry Stuart, I'm quoting the PB thread header in capitals but then every PB thread header is written in capitals so maybe you'll just have to live with that. Besides it's easier to cut and paste rather that retype and I don't know the code to type umlauts.
    Scottish Labour should campaign for DevoMax+++ and confect a row with Starmer over it.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,988
    biggles said:

#JuniorDoctorsStrike

I wonder why she doesn’t list her actual salary? Could it be that no one would have any sympathy, certainly not for a 35% increase?

By all means she should complain about the amount of work, but perhaps we might use the cash she wants to spend on a bigger house without solving the problem* in recruiting more staff instead…..?

*Is the BMA logic that they are happy with the hours so long as they get more beer tokens?
    There seems to be a pattern. Doctors aren’t interested in the money, they are only interested in their patients. Teachers aren’t interested in the money, they are only interested in the children. Railway workers aren’t interested in the money, they are only interested in safety. So why are they all striking for more money?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

The BBC website had a nice graphic this morning. Basically, they advance through the pay scale to £60k plus without breaking sweat.

Become a Consultant, and it's wheelbarrow full of cash time.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    edited March 2023

biggles said:

#JuniorDoctorsStrike

There seems to be a pattern. Doctors aren’t interested in the money, they are only interested in their patients. Teachers aren’t interested in the money, they are only interested in the children. Railway workers aren’t interested in the money, they are only interested in safety. So why are they all striking for more money?
    Cos they're f***ing underpaid?
    For what they do.
    We've just had a flap cos a few tech startups might not get paid. All hands on deck for that. Vital for the economy blah, blah
    Nae suggestion that a 50% pay cut across the board may help there.
    All of this is futile if you are lying there dying and you can't get a heart operation.
    No app will help.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060

If you're talking about S Club 7 concerts I have to agree.
  • Options
    Illegal immigration bill passes 312 to 250 at second reading
  • Options
    There's no shortage of applicants to go to Med School and become a doctor.

The wages aren't putting them off.

Supply and demand, and all that malarkey.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Illegal immigration bill passes 312 to 250 at second reading

42 conservative, 15 Labour, 2 SNP, 2 Lib Dems , 4 Independent did not vote though some may be pairings

No conservatives voted against
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,658
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Coming to your local Scottish corner shop soon…..

And if you can’t afford to buy or don’t have the space to install a reverse vending machine this is what @scotgov minister @lornaslater has suggested as a solution. If you agree with the DRS as it is, how would you like to work next to someone else’s rubbish?

https://twitter.com/StAndrewsWine/status/1635300503797256195?s=20

There are surely machines that can do that, which you could put either outside the shop, or somewhere less in the way.
    There are - but this is ScotGov’s suggestion for shops that don’t have the space.
    Right, I clearly can't read. Are all stores forced to be return points? If not, the smallest ones could simply not do it.
    They have to apply for exemption which can be granted if there’s an alternative location nearby. Small village shop in the country? Fuggeddaboutit….
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,610
    off topic

Although it's from about 10 years ago, this is an extraordinary claim I've never seen before.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-202037/Crash-Concorde-killed-Chirac.html

"Crash Concorde 'almost killed Chirac'
    French president Jacques Chirac was almost killed in the Concorde crash in Paris in July 2000, a new book claims.

On that day, the burning Air France Concorde passed within seven yards of an Air France Boeing 747 on which President Chirac was travelling and which had just landed.

The 747's proximity to the incident was not recorded in the official accident report into the crash which claimed 113 lives, said the book Supersonic Secrets, written by broadcaster and journalist Rob Lewis.

Lewis wrote: "The French nation was left blissfully unaware of another key fact: how close they had come to losing their president.

"The final accident report diagram of the runway had been carefully drawn. While detailed, the choice of scale meant that Chirac's endangered 747 was just off the page - and did not have to be pictured.

"So how close had it been? According to those present on the day, the burning Concorde had come within seven metres of a deadly collision.""
  • Options

Average salary for a junior doctor is £40,211 ie well above average, it is not as bad as made out for them
    https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Salaries/junior-doctor-salary-SRCH_KO0,13.htm#:~:text=The national average salary for,£40,211 look to you?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,658
    I’m sure he meant well….

Biden says to Sunak: "First of all, I want to welcome you back to California. He's a Stanford man, and he still has a home here in California. That's why I'm being very nice to you, maybe you can invite me to your home in California."

https://twitter.com/HugoGye/status/1635406165982203904?s=20
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Average salary for a junior doctor is £40,211 ie well above average, it is not as bad as made out for them
    https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Salaries/junior-doctor-salary-SRCH_KO0,13.htm#:~:text=The national average salary for,£40,211 look to you?
    Taking the average of a new graduate and someone with 10 years' experience isn't particularly helpful.
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,157
    This really has to be seen to be believed. Ash Regan makes Richard Burgon seem like a serious politician.

https://twitter.com/paulhutcheon/status/1635329360994643968
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

~£35k for juniors. Once they've done their training they're at ~£50k, once they've specialised anywhere from £80k-£150k. From graduation to specialism takes about 8-10 years.
    Not feeling too sorry for them I have to say.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,610
    Do we know how many Tory MPs voted against the government tonight?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274

No shortage of people wanting to be MPs, either.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,204
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

A doctor friend, when asked what he makes in a year, inevitably responds "My base salary is x". A careful choice of words.

What proportion of doctors only earn the base? Relatively few, I would think.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,280
    https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/doctors/pay-doctors

According to the NHS: "In Foundation training, you will earn a basic salary of £29,384 to £34,012 (from 1 April 2022). If you’re a doctor starting your specialist training in 2022 your basic salary will be £40,257 to £53,398."

It also claims: "pay for any hours over 40 per week, a 37 per cent enhancement for working nights, a weekend allowance for any work at the weekend, an availability allowance if you are required to be available on-call, and other potential pay premia."

It's not fabulously generous for people who were mainly in the top 5% of their school year academically and all within the top 10% after 5 years of study. Personally, I would be looking at the waiver of student debt for each year they do for the NHS or possibly even a suspension of student debt repayments whilst working there.

The reality is that we invest a lot of money in training doctors. Its why it is so shameful that we steal doctors from poorer countries and think that is ok. We need to pay enough to ensure we get a decent return on that investment. I think doctors were overpaid in the past and asking for 35% to get themselves back to some sort of peak is a bit ridiculous but there may well be an argument that we have gone too far.
  • Options

I’m sure he meant well….

Biden says to Sunak: "First of all, I want to welcome you back to California. He's a Stanford man, and he still has a home here in California. That's why I'm being very nice to you, maybe you can invite me to your home in California."

What the utter fuck - doesn't the Commons get a vote on whether we piss the defence increases away on new nuclear subs?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Do we know how many Tory MPs voted against the government tonight?

None
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274

This really has to be seen to be believed. Ash Regan makes Richard Burgon seem like a serious politician.

https://twitter.com/paulhutcheon/status/1635329360994643968

I’ve done all the study for the MSc in development management, and can advise that I doubt any of it would be of any help whatsoever in working out how to persuade or force the UK government into letting Scotland have another Indyref.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

I’m sure he meant well….

What the utter fuck - doesn't the Commons get a vote on whether we piss the defence increases away on new nuclear subs?
    They are subs for Australia, not the UK.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,280
    carnforth said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

A doctor friend, when asked what he makes in a year, inevitably responds "My base salary is x". A careful choice of words.

What proportion of doctors only earn the base? Relatively few, I would think.
    Yes, relatively few but that is because they work shifts, cover weekends, spend time on call etc. None of which enhances your quality of living.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/doctors/pay-doctors

According to the NHS: "In Foundation training, you will earn a basic salary of £29,384 to £34,012 (from 1 April 2022). If you’re a doctor starting your specialist training in 2022 your basic salary will be £40,257 to £53,398."

It also claims: "pay for any hours over 40 per week, a 37 per cent enhancement for working nights, a weekend allowance for any work at the weekend, an availability allowance if you are required to be available on-call, and other potential pay premia."

It's not fabulously generous for people who were mainly in the top 5% of their school year academically and all within the top 10% after 5 years of study. Personally, I would be looking at the waiver of student debt for each year they do for the NHS or possibly even a suspension of student debt repayments whilst working there.

The reality is that we invest a lot of money in training doctors. Its why it is so shameful that we steal doctors from poorer countries and think that is ok. We need to pay enough to ensure we get a decent return on that investment. I think doctors were overpaid in the past and asking for 35% to get themselves back to some sort of peak is a bit ridiculous but there may well be an argument that we have gone too far.

They are only in the top 5% because there are so many applicants that the Med Schools can be super choosy.

You don't need to be in the top 5% to do the job.
This discussion has been closed.