Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Hopefully, we’ll see some Lineker polling this weekend – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    dr_spyn said:

superlative performance from France.

Expletive performance from England.
  • Options
    Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 595
    Oh I never felt more like single les bleus...
    When Cymru wins
    And England lose...
    Oh Cymru...youve got me singing les bleus...
  • Options
    Bring back Eddie Jones.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    The French each seem to have about four stone of muscle advantage per man.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,019
    Ok Les Bleues, you can stop allez-ing now.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    50 points plus.
    Was this an unpublished part of this week's agreement?
    Seriously, though.
    This is a side brought up to catch and pass at speed and look for space as basics.
    Versus ones brought up in gyms and with tactics boards.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It’s important to bear in mind that the #BBC has always discouraged its on air talent from taking an overt political stance. Oh, wait…

https://twitter.com/macdonke/status/1634280722608402432?s=46

Savile counterbalanced that by doing a Liberal PPB with Thorpe and going to Chequers with Blair

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1RN0BQsBsE&themeRefresh=1
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2487217/Jimmy-Savile-harassed-music-boss-wife-Chequers-dinner-party-hosted-Tony-Blair.html
    Savile was cunning enough to curry favour right across the establishment as a whole as part of cultivating the impression for complainants, the media, and the Police that he was untouchable.

He was, however, vocally Thatcherite for many years and he and she personally got on well. I don't actually criticise Thatcher for that myself. She pretty clearly didn't know he was a prolific sex offender and believed he was simply a supportive media personality. Indeed, it was pretty easy to believe that Savile was an English eccentric rather than a dangerous pervert, and most people did at the time.

But the point is that there have been people who have been overtly political whilst working for the BBC as presenters outside the sphere of news/current affairs, including on the pro-Conservative side, and Savile happens to be one.
    Saville was not a true Tory, a true Tory would have supported Heath in 1970 and 1974, Saville didn't, he supported and campaigned for Thorpe's Liberals. He backed Thatcher's Tories yes but then like Alan B'Stard (also not a true Tory) he switched over time to New Labour, even if he was back with the Tories once Cameron took over.

Ideologically Saville was basically a libertarian unsurprisingly
    Hang on, the other day you said the Heath govt weren't true Tories. This is going around in circles.
    No I didn't once, I said not supporting grammar schools and wanting to close the existing ones made you on the wettest Heathite wing of the party, didn't mean you weren't a Tory though, just a dripping wet one
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859
    There it is, cinqante points.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,658
    edited March 2023
    dr_spyn said:

England being pounded on the dockside.

The worst English defeat since the Battle of Maldon, it looks like.

At the same time as the worst bribe since Aethelred [edit] the Unready.

At least in 991 AD or whatever it was, they had to wait a year or two to get the news in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle. Even if there turned out to be a blank space where Brother Gary had been caught makign rude remarks about the Royal policy.

Now, it's all happening at once. Be interesting to see the mood.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It’s important to bear in mind that the #BBC has always discouraged its on air talent from taking an overt political stance. Oh, wait…

Savile counterbalanced that by doing a Liberal PPB with Thorpe and going to Chequers with Blair

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2487217/Jimmy-Savile-harassed-music-boss-wife-Chequers-dinner-party-hosted-Tony-Blair.html
    Savile was cunning enough to curry favour right across the establishment as a whole as part of cultivating the impression for complainants, the media, and the Police that he was untouchable.

He was, however, vocally Thatcherite for many years and he and she personally got on well. I don't actually criticise Thatcher for that myself. She pretty clearly didn't know he was a prolific sex offender and believed he was simply a supportive media personality. Indeed, it was pretty easy to believe that Savile was an English eccentric rather than a dangerous pervert, and most people did at the time.

But the point is that there have been people who have been overtly political whilst working for the BBC as presenters outside the sphere of news/current affairs, including on the pro-Conservative side, and Savile happens to be one.
    Saville was not a true Tory, a true Tory would have supported Heath in 1970 and 1974, Saville didn't, he supported and campaigned for Thorpe's Liberals. He backed Thatcher's Tories yes but then like Alan B'Stard (also not a true Tory) he switched over time to New Labour, even if he was back with the Tories once Cameron took over.

Hang on, the other day you said the Heath govt weren't true Tories. This is going around in circles.
    There *are* no true Tories but HYUFD. His definition (from a posting a few days ago IIRC) is based on slavish royalism, unthinking unionism and the establishment of the C of E. Hard luck if you want stuff like sound money, or low tax, or probity in public life.
    You can still be a modern day Conservative if you back all that but not the former. However you can only be a Tory if you back the monarchy, the C of E as the established Church and hereditary peers in the House of Lords
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    Ooh dear. An English humiliation as profound as Hastings?
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

superlative performance from France.

Expletive performance from England.
    Wonder if they will get it up to 69?
  • Options
    Still we've won more rugby world cups than the rest of the Six Nations put together.
  • Options
    Is this the first poll on immigration since Lineker fall out

https://twitter.com/CameronGarrett_/status/1634543925351395328?t=OwdDCMZu_Y70ewZdcKyJjA&s=19
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

There *are* no true Tories but HYUFD. His definition (from a posting a few days ago IIRC) is based on slavish royalism, unthinking unionism and the establishment of the C of E. Hard luck if you want stuff like sound money, or low tax, or probity in public life.
    You can still be a modern day Conservative if you back all that but not the former. However you can only be a Tory if you back the monarchy, the C of E as the established Church and hereditary peers in the House of Lords
    Eh? IT's 'Conservative' to be a republican campaigning for disestablishment and the abolition of the Lords?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,146
    Les Anglais sont écrasés
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,135
    Good news! The DUP have come out against Lineker, surely now he's toast!
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,298
    Worst England rugby performance I've ever seen. Establishment man Borthwick has to go.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,019
    dixiedean said:

50 points plus.
    Was this an unpublished part of this week's agreement?
    Seriously, though.
    This is a side brought up to catch and pass at speed and look for space as basics.
    Versus ones brought up in gyms and with tactics boards.

Not really a fan of the kicking game but France have made it look exciting. DuPont is fantastic.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    8th-10th March 2023 apparently.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,263
    edited March 2023
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Utter nonsense

You are in your own party of 1
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,178
    Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

18 years since the Frogs won at Twickenham. That clock looks like it will reset itself tonight. This England side haven’t turned up at all.

It's a game of two halves.
    The second being marginally less worse than the first.
    Or maybe not. Taxi for Borthwick?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,496

The rugby wasn’t great, either.
  • Options

They are f**ting in our general direction
  • Options

Worst England rugby performance I've ever seen. Establishment man Borthwick has to go.

We lost 76 nil to Australia in 1998 but this feels much much worse.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Thousands of fans trying to beat the queues at the station. What an abysmal performance from England.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,133
    Given this demolition it really puts in context what a terrible team Scotland are. We’re utter utter shite and they only beat us by a score.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,617
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No I didn't once, I said not supporting grammar schools and wanting to close the existing ones made you on the wettest Heathite wing of the party, didn't mean you weren't a Tory though, just a dripping wet one
    Just joshing with you.
  • Options
    No, as most (if not all) of the fieldwork would have been done before the BBC benching Lineker
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    Carnyx said:

dr_spyn said:

England being pounded on the dockside.

The worst English defeat since the Battle of Maldon, it looks like.

At the same time as the worst bribe since Aethelred and the Unready.

At least in 991 AD or whatever it was, they had to wait a year or two to get the news in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle. Even if there turned out to be a blank space where Brother Gary had been caught makign rude remarks about the Royal policy.

Now, it's all happening at once. Be interesting to see the mood.
    Maldon is, at least, considered to be an heroic - if very bloody - defeat. This is more akin to the fall of Chippenham.

I was going to stretch the analogy by saying that the re-enactment of Hastings is scheduled for Dublin next week, but I doubt that this shower will resist as well as Harold's army. They'll be lucky not to be 50 points down by the end of the first half.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,551
    Is the juxtaposition of today's match with the absence of usual sporting pundits, yet another own goal by Tories/

IF yours truly was spin-doctoring for the PM & Etc., doubt I'd appreciate the linkage overmuch.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,936
    DougSeal said:

Given this demolition it really puts in context what a terrible team Scotland are. We’re utter utter shite and they only beat us by a score.

And yet they came close to beating France.
  • Options
    Not really, 8-10 March. Wednesday to Friday.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

8th-10th March 2023 apparently.
    So looks like Sunak’s first declaration of the policy

Large movement though
  • Options

Surely it is a gift to Macron from Rishi after the fantastic new detention centre deal he has given us?
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,913
    I, for one, welcome our new French overlords.
  • Options

Yeah but we beat them at the MCG in the 1998 Boxing Day Test.

Sure they'd already retained the Ashes by then, but any victory against the Aussies in the 90s was worth cherishing.
  • Options

Is the juxtaposition of today's match with the absence of usual sporting pundits, yet another own goal by Tories/

IF yours truly was spin-doctoring for the PM & Etc., doubt I'd appreciate the linkage overmuch.

Sadly the rugby football coverage was unaffected by the shenanigans surrounding that of association football.
  • Options
    edited March 2023

Hastings was technically Viking v Saxon really, most on the Norman side including William the Conqueror were descended from Vikings led by Rollo who raided and settled Normandy and were granted it ultimately by the King of France
  • Options
    This has to be the biggest humiliation since the Fall of Singapore.
  • Options
    On topic, if they scrap the 3pm rule, then we can all watch football live and there would be no need for a highlights show.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,882
    That was very satisfying
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,218
    Sandpit said:

On topic, if they scrap the 3pm rule, then we can all watch football live and there would be no need for a highlights show.

Not all of us spend our weekends sat in front of the television set.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,936
    HYUFD said:

Britons tend to say BBC sports correspondents should be allowed to publicly express their political views outside of the BBC

Should: 46%
    Should not: 33%

https://twitter.com/yougov/status/1634583086158565377?s=46

55% of Conservative voters and 50% of Leavers say they should not be able to express political views outside the BBC however
    If 55% of Conservatives and 50% of Leavers don't want to express their views, who are we to stop them?

More problematically, how do we know - given that they don't want to say anything?
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Eh? IT's 'Conservative' to be a republican campaigning for disestablishment and the abolition of the Lords?
    The modern day Conservative and Unionist Party is a coalition of those who would have been 18th and 19th century Tories who were joined by those who would have been 18th century Whigs and 19th century free market Liberals to keep out Labour in the 20th century as well as Unionists in Scotland and Wales and Northern Ireland
  • Options
    @KevinASchofield

Important to stress how unusual it is for the prime minister to issue a statement at 6pm on a Saturday night.

Suggests No10 are worried about the political blowback from the Lineker row.

https://twitter.com/KevinASchofield/status/1634619166547226624
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,364
    edited March 2023
    Scott_xP said:

That was very satisfying

Shut up or I'll tell Robert that you've been dissing Radiohead again.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    HYUFD said:

Hastings was technically Viking v Saxon really, most on the Norman side including William the Conqueror were descended from Vikings led by Rollo who raided and settled the area and were granted it ultimately by the King of France
    No they weren’t HYUFD. Read “The Normans and Their Myth” by Ralph Davis. The idea of shared Viking ancestry was made up in the 12th Century.

• Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,411
    boulay said:

pour ma part, bienvenue a nos nouveaux suzerains francais
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Its not just the 3pm rule, its also the fact they won't televise 2 games at the same time. When 2 games kick off at 2pm on a Sunday, the Americans can watch their choice of game live but we can't.
  • Options
    Today, @BenFerencz turns 103. At age 27, with no prior trial experience, he prosecuted “the biggest murder trial in history.” Bringing Nazis to justice shaped the course of his life. He is the last living Nuremberg war crimes prosecutor. Learn why his motto is "never give up."
    https://twitter.com/HolocaustMuseum/status/1634569883064102913
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    '@CameronGarrett_
    💥 NEW
    @IpsosUK
    POLL 💥

Conservatives have regained trust of their 2019 voters on immigration

% 2019 Conservative voters Trust Cons on…

Asylum seekers: 59% (+21 since Feb)
    Immigration: 61% (+24)
    Channel crossings: 52% (+18)
    Making harder to enter illegally: 56% (+19)'
    https://twitter.com/CameronGarrett_/status/1634543925351395328?s=20
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,146

boulay said:

pour ma part, bienvenue a nos nouveaux suzerains francais
    Yebbut it wasn't quite 1066, only 1053

• Options

Sandpit said:

Its not just the 3pm rule, its also the fact they won't televise 2 games at the same time. When 2 games kick off at 2pm on a Sunday, the Americans can watch their choice of game live but we can't.
    Yep, my local bar in the sandpit shows every single PL game live, and I can personally subscribe to the TV package that shows them all.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

That was very satisfying

Shut up or I'll tell Robert that you've been dissing Radiohead again.
    Radiohead put in a better performance at Glastonbury than England did at Twickenham today
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2023
    Didn't a lot of the Normans / weren't they at least supposed to have had, one Viking parent, and one French parent ?

This I understand has also been the case with Norman Cook, a.k.s Fatboy Slim, and also applies in the case of Norman Wisdom.
  • Options
    As the BBC collapsed into crisis after suspending Gary Lineker, one staffer said the situation had become “so farcical” that it wouldn’t have been believable as a plotline in the mockumentary about the corporation, W1A. “The writers wouldn’t have dared do this — it’s too insane and incompetent,” he said.

Tim Davie, the director-general, had hoped his decision on Friday would draw a line under the criticism sparked by Lineker’s tweets about asylum seekers; instead, it unleashed 24 hours of chaos that wreaked havoc on its sports coverage, culminating in Match of the Day being cut to 20 minutes. As presenters and pundits pulled out of their shows in solidarity with the former footballer, one source dubbed it an “I am Sportacus!” moment.

Inside the BBC, the condemnation of Davie’s handling of Lineker was fierce: “No one can mishandle a crisis quite like the BBC,” said a critic. Staff hopes for a swift resolution so that it did not affect Sunday’s programming — including Match of the Day 2 — were dashed. It didn’t help that the two main players were on opposite sides of the Atlantic: Davie is in Washington DC visiting the BBC’s offices, while Lineker had headed to Leicester to watch his team play. “This is a terrible day for the BBC,” said one correspondent. “BBC Sport and Match of the Day are the jewels in its crown. There could be a risk of losing Premier League rights if this isn’t sorted quickly.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/weve-gone-full-w1a-how-gary-lineker-sparked-24-hours-of-bbc-chaos-35k69jpxr
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

Hastings was technically Viking v Saxon really, most on the Norman side including William the Conqueror were descended from Vikings led by Rollo who raided and settled the area and were granted it ultimately by the King of France
    No they weren’t HYUFD. Read “The Normans and Their Myth” by Ralph Davis. The idea of shared Viking ancestry was made up in the 12th Century.

That doesn't really dispute the point William the Conqueror was descended from Rollo the Viking not the Kings of France
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    I see Big G is back astroturfing for Sunak.
    The Betws-y-Coed Conservative Club petty cash box is one helluva drug.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,119
    Scott_xP said:

Staff hopes for a swift resolution so that it did not affect Sunday’s programming — including Match of the Day 2 — were dashed.

Now to be retitled Match of the Day 0.02.
  • Options

"I might vote Labour" ROFL
  • Options
    Rishi Sunak has issued a statement on the Lineker - BBC crisis

Immigration and the boats is now front and centre of debate maybe as he wants

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1634615180159070209?s=20
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,854
    DougSeal said:

Ever the shitty Little Englander , utterly hammered and unable to take it with grace, bad winners and even worse losers. C'est la vie.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    It would appear that the public:

1) Like a tough policy on the boats
    2) Don't like Suella Braverman
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

Ever the shitty Little Englander , utterly hammered and unable to take it with grace, bad winners and even worse losers. C'est la vie.
    Hmm, given the relative population sizes, the Sco-Eng score isn't out of proportion with the Eng-Fr one at all.
  • Options

No, as most (if not all) of the fieldwork would have been done before the BBC benching Lineker
    Yes, thank you
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

That doesn't really dispute the point William the Conqueror was descended from Rollo the Viking not the Kings of France
    He was [edit] at least 50% French!

Edit: he wasn't Rollo's son, so he was mostly French.

• Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,339

That's about right
  • Options
    edited March 2023

That's about right
    What the Tories need to do is store up as much trouble for Starmer as possible... Watch what happens until the Election.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2023
    Acording to our amateur ethnological research from a thread a few months ago, Katherine Deneuve looks a bit like Penny Mordaunt, and Mordaunt is a Norman name ; ergo the Normans must have been at least a bit frenchy.
  • Options

Acording to our amateur ethnological research from a thread a few months ago, Katherine Deneuve looks a bit like Penny Mordaunt, and Mordaunt is a Norman name ; ergo the Normans must have been at least a bit frenchy.

Bishop Odo was a man of French letters?
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    Encouraging numbers for Labour.

https://twitter.com/Survation/status/1634627513753169920

Intriguingly, when we asked respondents, "Which political party do you feel closest to?" and examined those who would vote for Labour in a hypothetical General Election, a striking pattern emerged that could shed light on potential tactical voting in the future. A significant 15.9% of those who identify most with the Liberal Democrats, along with comparable shares among Green (15.1%) and SNP voters (12.9%), indicated a preference for Labour in the next election. Notably, Labour also garnered the highest percentage of votes among unaffiliated voters, with a notable 45.5% expressing support for the party.
  • Options

That's about right
    What the Tories need to do is store up as much trouble for Starmer as possible... Watch what happens until the Election.
    Actually running the country properly would be nice, if they can possibly fit it in.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

He was 50% French!
    He was 100% French.

Rollo swore fealty to Charles the Simple, so he and his descendants were from that day forwards French.

The idea that a descendent over 150 years later wasn't French because their ancestor wasn't born a nationality a century and a half earlier is the most bizarre blood and soil racism. Like saying Abraham Lincoln wasn't really American.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    MoTd is 20 mins of highlights
    Ins. That means 25 mins of bullshit not broadcast
    Marvellous
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,263
    edited March 2023

Predicable silly response but adds nothing to genuine debate

Why not address the issues in a mature manner
  • Options
    RichardrRichardr Posts: 81
    Sandpit said:

What makes you think that? Few people would watch all of the games. There's a cricket highlights programme on the BBC but all test matches and one day internationals are shown in full.
  • Options
    edited March 2023

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

He was 50% French!
    He was 100% French.

Rollo swore fealty to Charles the Simple, so he and his descendants were from that day forwards French.

The idea that a descendent over 150 years later wasn't French because their ancestor wasn't born a nationality a century and a half earlier is the most bizarre blood and soil racism. Like saying Abraham Lincoln wasn't really American.
    Excellent, that is very helpful. Ta muchly. (And I did correct my slip. But this is useful to know too.)

PS: if Hastings was really Viking vs Saxon, then why aren't we speaking posh Danish when it comes to talking about beef and pork and mutton?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

As the BBC collapsed into crisis after suspending Gary Lineker, one staffer said the situation had become “so farcical” that it wouldn’t have been believable as a plotline in the mockumentary about the corporation, W1A. “The writers wouldn’t have dared do this — it’s too insane and incompetent,” he said.

Tim Davie, the director-general, had hoped his decision on Friday would draw a line under the criticism sparked by Lineker’s tweets about asylum seekers; instead, it unleashed 24 hours of chaos that wreaked havoc on its sports coverage, culminating in Match of the Day being cut to 20 minutes. As presenters and pundits pulled out of their shows in solidarity with the former footballer, one source dubbed it an “I am Sportacus!” moment.

Inside the BBC, the condemnation of Davie’s handling of Lineker was fierce: “No one can mishandle a crisis quite like the BBC,” said a critic. Staff hopes for a swift resolution so that it did not affect Sunday’s programming — including Match of the Day 2 — were dashed. It didn’t help that the two main players were on opposite sides of the Atlantic: Davie is in Washington DC visiting the BBC’s offices, while Lineker had headed to Leicester to watch his team play. “This is a terrible day for the BBC,” said one correspondent. “BBC Sport and Match of the Day are the jewels in its crown. There could be a risk of losing Premier League rights if this isn’t sorted quickly.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/weve-gone-full-w1a-how-gary-lineker-sparked-24-hours-of-bbc-chaos-35k69jpxr

What line did Davie imagine he was drawing ?
    He surely can’t expect everyone who ever appears on the BBC to refrain from political comment in a private capacity ?
    If that’s not the case, then WTF is “the line” ?

It sure as hell hasn’t been made public.
  • Options
    edited March 2023

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

He was 50% French!
    He was 100% French.

Well to be fair the Saxons were really German and Danish on that basis too, the only true British were ancient Britons and Celts at that time
  • Options
    twistedfirestopper3twistedfirestopper3 Posts: 2,076
    edited March 2023

Why Scotland is the perfect fit for the biggest cycling event the world has ever seen.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/23379266.uci-president-gearing-festival-cycling-scotland/

The Down Hill MTB last year at Fort William was absolutely top drawer, our first time in Scotland and if the planets allign, we'll be there for it this year. Apart from a weird encounter with a comedy English hating, tweed wearing fuck who ruined a chat I was having with Aaron Gwin and Dakota North in the Wildcat Vegan Cafe in the town centre, it was bloody lovely!
  • Options

I voted Blair twice but sadly Starmer is no Blair

• Options
    Carnyx said:

That's about right
    Actually running the country properly would be nice, if they can possibly fit it in.
    Too late for that.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

He was 50% French!
    He was 100% French.

Excellent, that is very helpful. Ta muchly. (And I did correct my slip. But this is useful to know too.)

PS: if Hastings was really Viking vs Saxon, then why aren't we speaking posh Danish when it comes to talking about beef and pork and mutton?
    Indeed. Obviously in case my post wasn't clear, it wasn't you that I was suggesting was engaging in blood and soil nonsense.

Incidentally though, I think we should go back to the olden tradition of naming monarchs with a nickname that describes them. I wonder if our current monarch would even earn a name like "the Simple".
  • Options

That's nice but you're advocating a terrible PM with a terrible policy, so I'll take Starmer any day of the week.

Presumably when it goes downhill you will proclaim something new.

You say I have a Damascene conversion but you've had so many conversions I'm dizzy. For Johnson, against, for again then against, for Truss then against, then for again, then against Sunak then for again.

Are you some some rudimentary AI?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

What line did Davie imagine he was drawing ?
    He surely can’t expect everyone who ever appears on the BBC to refrain from political comment in a private capacity ?
    If that’s not the case, then WTF is “the line” ?

It sure as hell hasn’t been made public.

The line is "Don't say anything that upsets the Tory government"
  • Options

Isn’t that Conservative supporters, rather than ‘the public’ ?
    The latter are shown in the tweet below, and don’t appear as enthusiastic.

• Options

Which is much to his credit.
  • Options
    The chairman of the BBC is under growing pressure to resign with a predecessor criticising him for failing to be open about his links to Boris Johnson and staying silent on the Gary Lineker crisis.

Richard Sharp has faced scrutiny since The Sunday Times revealed he helped facilitate a loan of up to £800,000 for Johnson, then prime minister, who weeks later appointed him to his role at the broadcaster. A committee of MPs found Sharp made “significant errors of judgment” by failing to disclose the potential conflict of interest. It said he should consider the effect that had on trust in him, the BBC and the public appointments process.

Sharp, 67, remains under investigation by the Whitehall appointments watchdog. His future could be resolved sooner because of the crisis engulfing the broadcaster.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/richard-sharp-bbc-crisis-fuels-calls-for-chairman-to-quit-8n6x9dlcz
  • Options
    MOTD tonight will be 20 minutes long with no commentary
  • Options
    edited March 2023

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

He was 50% French!
    He was 100% French.

Indeed. Obviously in case my post wasn't clear, it wasn't you that I was suggesting was engaging in blood and soil nonsense.

Incidentally though, I think we should go back to the olden tradition of naming monarchs with a nickname that describes them. I wonder if our current monarch would even earn a name like "the Simple".
    Oh, not at all - it didn't even occur to me. Was pretty obvious who was meant.

Edit: if one goes for the Viking and French traditions, they had some pretty brutal bynames - the Vikings especially.

• Options

That's about right
    Do you live in this country? **** up the country and you **** up yourself. Wise up Root!
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

He was 50% French!
    He was 100% French.

“the double breasted” (referring to his suits of course)
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796

Rishi Sunak has issued a statement on the Lineker - BBC crisis

Immigration and the boats is now front and centre of debate maybe as he wants

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1634615180159070209?s=20

Exactly, the thing that sticks out from that statement is the 45000 per year bit. That is the same as the population of Lancaster, coming in every year on dinghies.

Net migration is at 500,000, that is the population of Manchester or Bristol.

Net additional housing units per year is at 232,280.
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,157
    Ed Davey
    @EdwardJDavey
    The MOTD saga has shown failure at the top of the BBC and the need to urgently protect its independence.

We need leadership that can uphold British values and withstand Conservative attacks.

Under Richard Sharp’s leadership this hasn't been the case. He must resign.
  • Options

Predicable silly response but adds nothing to genuine debate

Why not address the issues in a mature manner
    The issue is that the Tories are playing you like a fiddle. Bereft of any achievement whatsoever, they hope to claw back support in the form of a bleating about the boats and a French bung.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

Encouraging numbers for Labour.

https://twitter.com/Survation/status/1634627513753169920

Intriguingly, when we asked respondents, "Which political party do you feel closest to?" and examined those who would vote for Labour in a hypothetical General Election, a striking pattern emerged that could shed light on potential tactical voting in the future. A significant 15.9% of those who identify most with the Liberal Democrats, along with comparable shares among Green (15.1%) and SNP voters (12.9%), indicated a preference for Labour in the next election. Notably, Labour also garnered the highest percentage of votes among unaffiliated voters, with a notable 45.5% expressing support for the party.

That is good news for Labour in seats they are targeting but bad news for the LDs in seats they are targeting and bad news for the SNP in seats they want to hold.

13% of 2019 LD voters now feel closer to the Conservatives, little different to the 16% who now feel closer to Labuir.

7% of 2019 Conservative voters now feel closer to RefUK and 12% to Starmer Labour, so Rishi is gaining some 2019 LDs but losing some 2019 Conservatives to Labour and RefUK albeit 59.5% of 2019 Conservatives still feel closer to the Conservatives
  • Options

Why Scotland is the perfect fit for the biggest cycling event the world has ever seen.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/23379266.uci-president-gearing-festival-cycling-scotland/

The Down Hill MTB last year at Fort William was absolutely top drawer, our first time in Scotland and if the planets allign, we'll be there for it this year. Apart from a weird encounter with a comedy English hating, tweed wearing fuck who ruined a chat I was having with Aaron Gwin and Dakota North in the Wildcat Vegan Cafe in the town centre, it was bloody lovely!
    Stuart Dickson wears tweed?
    Figures.
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,157
    Scott_xP said:

The chairman of the BBC is under growing pressure to resign with a predecessor criticising him for failing to be open about his links to Boris Johnson and staying silent on the Gary Lineker crisis.

Richard Sharp has faced scrutiny since The Sunday Times revealed he helped facilitate a loan of up to £800,000 for Johnson, then prime minister, who weeks later appointed him to his role at the broadcaster. A committee of MPs found Sharp made “significant errors of judgment” by failing to disclose the potential conflict of interest. It said he should consider the effect that had on trust in him, the BBC and the public appointments process.

Sharp, 67, remains under investigation by the Whitehall appointments watchdog. His future could be resolved sooner because of the crisis engulfing the broadcaster.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/richard-sharp-bbc-crisis-fuels-calls-for-chairman-to-quit-8n6x9dlcz

Genius stuff from the Tories to bring Sharp to the public's attention again.
    And as I said earlier, this drama hasn't done much good for the prospects of a Boris comeback.
This discussion has been closed.