Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Trump now an evens chance of winning the GOP WH2024 nomination – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,623
    Carnyx said:

Duke of Edinburgh my arse.

Really dumb thing for his daddy to do, on several levels.

For all his faults, Prince Phillip was WAY more impressive than ANY of his (acknowledged) spawn.

Making Fast Eddy the new Duke of Edinburgh, make him look (even) smaller than he was yesterday.
    Er, not daddy, but brother. Though i had to take some time to work out who this chap Edward was and to look him up.
    Thanks for correcting my dumb error!
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,508

It's all very well laughing at the BBC and its Tory chairman getting themselves in a pickle over Lineker but loads of Tories would quite happily see it fall apart anyway. It's those who value the BBC who should be most worried about this.

Does anyone want to save the BBC?

Really intrigued to see if anyone else follows ian Wright refuses to go on tomorrow’s Match Of The Day out of solidarity.

Issue that has the potential to go through some real crossroads territory for the BBC.(not the 1970s Motel soap)
    Any more and a name for this nobly rebellious movement will need to be found. The Tax-fiddle Martyrs?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097
    Foxy said:

Not surprised to see the remaining Tory supporters on here - the nut jobs I call them - supporting curtailing free speech when it suits them. They are twats

Did you predict a 30pt Lab lead incoming?

When?
    Not far off with this one today.

Westminster voting intention:

LAB: 50% (+5)
    CON: 26% (-)
    LDEM: 7% (-4)
    REF: 6% (-)
    GRN: 5% (-1)

via @Omnisis, 09 - 10 Mar

We are just 2 months away from some real elections. Let's see what happens then.
    That may be a swing of 13% from Conservative to Labour since the 2019 local elections but it would also be a swing of 5% from LD to Conservative since the 2019 local elections
  • Options

I don't really care about Lineker. I'm not a MOTD watcher - he's likeable enough as a presenter. His half-witted political pronouncements on Twitter are faintly annoying but I don't find them a big deal.

That said, it's very disingenuous of left wing commenters (and commentators) to highlight the odd bit of right wing flotsam floating on the overwhelming left 'liberal' and growingly 'woke' consensus that holds sway within the BBC, to try and claim that there is equal bias, or even that the BBC favours the Tories. We all know this to be untrue - even people within the BBC like Andrew Marr have acknowledged the corporation's left wing bias. So don't try it, it is neither impressive nor interesting.

On the other side of the coin, it is a pretty crappy state of affairs that the best this lame Government can do to rally their flogged footsoldiers is pick some stupid confected fight with 'the Beeb'. If they were in any way concerned about the wholesale surrender of the cultural arena to the left, they would have done more about it before now than try to get Gary Lineker cancelled off MOTD. Pathetic shower.

Simple question, do you support Gary Lineker being taken off air or not?
  • Options

I don't really care about Lineker. I'm not a MOTD watcher - he's likeable enough as a presenter. His half-witted political pronouncements on Twitter are faintly annoying but I don't find them a big deal.

That said, it's very disingenuous of left wing commenters (and commentators) to highlight the odd bit of right wing flotsam floating on the overwhelming left 'liberal' and growingly 'woke' consensus that holds sway within the BBC, to try and claim that there is equal bias, or even that the BBC favours the Tories. We all know this to be untrue - even people within the BBC like Andrew Marr have acknowledged the corporation's left wing bias. So don't try it, it is neither impressive nor interesting.

On the other side of the coin, it is a pretty crappy state of affairs that the best this lame Government can do to rally their flogged footsoldiers is pick some stupid confected fight with 'the Beeb'. If they were in any way concerned about the wholesale surrender of the cultural arena to the left, they would have done more about it before now than try to get Gary Lineker cancelled off MOTD. Pathetic shower.

Simple question, do you support Gary Lineker being taken off air or not?
    No.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2023

The BBC journalistic consensus since 2010 has tended to be left-of-centre on cultural issues and rightwing on economic and social issues. What's happening now is that there are so many Tory placemen unshamedly stuffed into senior managing positions, particularly by Johnson, that the administrative line from on high is beginning to move clearly to the right on cultural/identity/immigration issues, too ; that's why the overall balance of bias is now beginning to look more obvious than beforehand.

Take all these decisions on these appointments out of the hands of central government, and that way you can save its credibility, intellectual independence and reputation, and stop Starmer, or anyone else, doing the same, too.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    Foxy said:

Not surprised to see the remaining Tory supporters on here - the nut jobs I call them - supporting curtailing free speech when it suits them. They are twats

When?

We are just 2 months away from some real elections. Let's see what happens then.
    Was there an 11pt one as well?

And another on with Greens on 10% and Lab on 41%?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762
    S&T - Is the UK a world leader in science?
    With Professor Paul Nightingale - Looking at the top 100 papers in different priority tech fields to assess the UK position at the cutting edge
    https://jameswphillips.substack.com/p/s-and-t-is-the-uk-a-world-leader?
    … These early results indicate that the UK is good, but not outstanding, in priority areas of science and technology. It is clearly not as good as assumed by the most commonly used statistics. …
  • Options
    edited March 2023

For all his faults, Prince Phillip was WAY more impressive than ANY of his (acknowledged) spawn.

Making Fast Eddy the new Duke of Edinburgh, make him look (even) smaller than he was yesterday.
    What a load of rubbish.

Prince Edward and Sophie are the hardest working royals after the Princess Royal and the King and Queen Consort.

When the Duke of York and Sussexes stepped back as working royals they stepped up to do more of the work themselves and they are worthy recipients of the title, not least too as Prince Edward has taken over the D of E scheme from his father
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,136
    dixiedean said:

kinabalu said:

AlistairM said:

I don't understand what all the fuss is about with Lineker, the BBC and free speech. Seems fairly simple to me.

If you work for the public funded BBC then you have to be politically impartial and can't say whatever you like on Twitter.

If you don't work for the BBC then you can say what you like.

So, if you want to say what you want on Twitter don't work for the BBC.

Care to explain Andrew Neil's long and high profile BBC career then?
    That is fairly simple - Andrew Neil is equally tough with his guests, whether they are Conservatives or Labour. He may have his own views but, in his role, he is neutral. If you didn't know his politics, you wouldn't be able to guess it from his interviews.

Compare and contrast with the likes of Emily Matilis who lets her contempt for anything that is not aligned with her views shine through. You can guess her politics a mile off.
    Though that doesn't work in this case- I don't think that Lineker has been anything other than scrupulously neutral on MotD. Unless I have missed the bits about how Liverpool is still smarting from the effects of Thatcherism, whereas Sunderland is triving thanks to Brexit benefits.
    You jest.
    But you raise an interesting point.
    Lineker ( and Shearer) act as valuable balance to an array of LFC and MUFC inclined pundits.
    As you'll have seen by now, Shearer has also "stepped back".

The way things are going, Match of the Day will be presented by a tub of lard. If lard is still available in the shops.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,325
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

When?

That may be a swing of 13% from Conservative to Labour since the 2019 local elections but it would also be a swing of 5% from LD to Conservative since the 2019 local elections
    But the big picture is that most people now despise the Tories, and are open minded as to who they vote for to be rid of them.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,846

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

felix said:

Linekar steps down from motd. Where's my tiny violin when I need it?

Tories descend to Nazi-style censorship.
    Yes, it sort of proves his point.

I don't care one way or another but the double standards of the right wing press defending the right of free speech for Farage and Yaxley-Lennon, and cheering the fall of Lineker is a joyous irony.
    When Alan Sugar takes to Twitter to slag off Mick Lynch, that’s fine.

But when Gary Lineker tweets critically of government policy, that’s a breach of impartiality.

https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1634233104981213189?s=20
    One criticises our democratically elected government. The other… doesn’t.
    Good grief! Is criticising the democratically elected government verboten now?

What sort of a country have we become? What happened to free-speech?
    Perhaps explain's Leon's fondness for Ron DeSantis? Libertarian turned Oligarch, modeling his politik on Viktor Orban.
    The BBC is a state broadcaster. You don’t have that in America (perhaps wisely, who knows). I believe the BBC as we know it is doomed. Sadly. But if it is to survive it needs to be rigorously impartial in party politics. All employees (freelancers or otherwise) who provably gain the majority of their income from the BBC should be told, on pain of sacking, no political opinions on social media

And this should apply to left and right. To Sugar and Lineker. Just STFU as long as you work for the beeb
    The license fee needs to go, and ASAP.

As for the BBC it’s survival should depend on its ability to raise revenue without a license fee.
    The BBC's brand name would give it huge power to go to markets to raise cash. I think a subscription based model and member ownership, along the lines of the National Trust, is the way forward if it is to have a long-term future.

Britbox subs suggest its not nearly as popular a brand name as you think
    BBC is VERY popular brand in the USA.

Indeed, it is mainstay for PBS tv programming, with strong appeal to viewers with higher levels of income and education.
    Yes PBS which is public broadcasting.....ask them to pay for it though and it judging by the uptake does not seem nearly so popular....anything can be reasonably popular if free but that says nothing about its actual fungibility
    PBS relies mainly on DONATIONS, not government funding (which accounts for 15% or thereabouts) so many Americans ARE paying directly & personally for BBC programming.

And NOT just Americans. For example, Seattle's PBS affiliate gets a LOT of support from Canadians in Vancouver, Victoria and elsewhere in BC, who watch via cable or broadcast or web, and who are big fans in particular of BBC programs on PBS.
    Which part of what I said was untrue.....consumers of pbs are not paying for it. When they have to pay for bbc they aren't so interested...I really dont give a shit how popular it is on pbs because anything free does not show its valued....maybe its just the best thing on pbs.

If people in britain could watch sky, itv etc without paying the licence fee if they didnt watch any bbc or iplayer do you think the number of licence payers would rise or fall. I suspect bbc would find its finance cut in half personally. If you disagree then you should have no problem with the experiment.

The bbc content is vapid tripe frankly and adds nothing
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    GIN1138 said:

The polls are all over the place

Is conservatives at 32% (+3) their highest for a long time

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1634237953139458059?t=HReSLMRYBylR1p5_BSl-Fw&s=19

Although there's a lot of variability I think there are clear signs now that we've passed Peak Labour for this parliament and swingback should gradually take place between now and Election 24.
    You think? It's hard to reconcile the Savanta 11-point lead (admittedly a week older) with the Omnisis 24-point lead. It's certainly come down from the heights of the Truss era, but the average seems to be hovering around 18-19. My guess is that both Savanta and Omnisis are outliers, but who knows?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    GIN1138 said:

It's all very well laughing at the BBC and its Tory chairman getting themselves in a pickle over Lineker but loads of Tories would quite happily see it fall apart anyway. It's those who value the BBC who should be most worried about this.

Does anyone want to save the BBC?

The BBC will be fine as it's a strong, global brand.

The issue is how it's funded, which is completely separate and as we've gone over on here many times, it's days being funded by telly tax are numbered... not because of Tories and the right wing press but because younger generations have so much choice now.

It's the younger generations that doom the licence fee not the old or the right particularly.
    Does the 'brand' really matter? What's the point of it if it's just going to be another Netflix/Fox/Paramount etc?
  • Options

Tory Donor as Chairman

Tory supporting DG

Tory Candidate as Head of News

Tory donors wife chairing QT

Tory presenting Politics Daily

Tory shrill presenting the Sunday Politics Show

Andrew Marr who you quote is also a Tory

Left liberal I dont think so.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

felix said:

I don't care one way or another but the double standards of the right wing press defending the right of free speech for Farage and Yaxley-Lennon, and cheering the fall of Lineker is a joyous irony.

But when Gary Lineker tweets critically of government policy, that’s a breach of impartiality.

Perhaps explain's Leon's fondness for Ron DeSantis? Libertarian turned Oligarch, modeling his politik on Viktor Orban.
    The BBC is a state broadcaster. You don’t have that in America (perhaps wisely, who knows). I believe the BBC as we know it is doomed. Sadly. But if it is to survive it needs to be rigorously impartial in party politics. All employees (freelancers or otherwise) who provably gain the majority of their income from the BBC should be told, on pain of sacking, no political opinions on social media

And this should apply to left and right. To Sugar and Lineker. Just STFU as long as you work for the beeb

As for the BBC it’s survival should depend on its ability to raise revenue without a license fee.
    The BBC's brand name would give it huge power to go to markets to raise cash. I think a subscription based model and member ownership, along the lines of the National Trust, is the way forward if it is to have a long-term future.

Indeed, it is mainstay for PBS tv programming, with strong appeal to viewers with higher levels of income and education.
    Yes PBS which is public broadcasting.....ask them to pay for it though and it judging by the uptake does not seem nearly so popular....anything can be reasonably popular if free but that says nothing about its actual fungibility
    PBS relies mainly on DONATIONS, not government funding (which accounts for 15% or thereabouts) so many Americans ARE paying directly & personally for BBC programming.

And NOT just Americans. For example, Seattle's PBS affiliate gets a LOT of support from Canadians in Vancouver, Victoria and elsewhere in BC, who watch via cable or broadcast or web, and who are big fans in particular of BBC programs on PBS.
    That I did not know. Thank you.
    My suspicion is that things such as sky sports is more of a driver for people paying the licensing fee than BBC content
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,370
    edited March 2023

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

felix said:

EDIT - of course this has zero to do with Pagan's point, which is focused on BBC in UK.
    You can watch PBS in the UK on Freeview channel 84, Freesat 155, SKY 174 among others.

https://www.pbsamerica.co.uk/
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013

The BBC journalistic consensus since 2010 has tended to be left-of-centre on cultural issues and rightwing on economic and social issues. What's happening now is that there are so many Tory placemen unshamedly stuffed into management positions, particularly by Johnson, that the administrative line from on high is beginning to move clearly to the right on cultural/identity/immigration issues, too ; that's why the overall balance of bias is now beginning to looking more obvious than beforehand.

Take the decisions on these appointments out of the hands of government, and that way you can save its credibility, intellectual independence and reputation, and stop Starmer, or anyone else, doing the same.
    At what point does "bias" simply reflect the expected outcomes from more-or-less settled majority opinion? Sure, almost a third of people voted for Corbyn-style socialism, but two-thirds didn't. So we'd not expect a random draw of the population to be Corbyn-style socialists.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    The Tories look like the nut jobs to me now. Can only assume Sunak having to pander to Braverman/ Mogg types

The party of Thatcher?
  • Options
    Comedy Gold from the Tories. Was is the Tory Chair or Tory DG who got to sack Lineker and block the Attenborough programme?

Lineker must go off air because he isn't impartial. Says the very impartial "can I be Chairman of the BBC if I arrange £800k for you Prime Minister"?

Piss funny. What the "I agree" posters don't understand is how this looks to normals. Because we are going to now have a pile of Tory Mince MPs and their media morons screeching about why it was correct to silence anyone with an opinion. As Cruella said, they are Betrayong Britain.

They really really want to lose by an ELE don't they?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

When?

But the big picture is that most people now despise the Tories, and are open minded as to who they vote for to be rid of them.
    As also posted earlier Savanta today has the Tories up to 32% and Howard 2005 levels, above Major 1997 and Hague 2001 levels and also above the 28% May got in the 2019 locals
    https://twitter.com/Savanta_UK/status/1634237761564622867?s=20
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,911
    edited March 2023
    I’ll be boycotting MOTD and hope the viewing figures crash . It’s pretty clear now that those in charge of the BBC are nothing but Tory lapdogs .

Labour and the Tories often moaned about the BBC in the past which showed it was doing its job and holding those in power to account . Now the Tories are using the stick of the license review to effect editorial decisions .

We are living in dark times where liberal democracies have never been under more attack from the right wingers who think they have a divine right to rule and will dismantle the democratic foundations we treasure .

People will say it can’t happen in the UK but we are seeing a slow erosion of our democracy .

The Tories are a clear and present danger to our democracy and must be removed in 2024 before it’s too late .
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

felix said:

EDIT - of course this has zero to do with Pagan's point, which is focused on BBC in UK.
    You can watch PBS in the UK on Freeview channel 84, Freesat 155, SKY 174 among others.

Why would anyone want to?
  • Options
    nico679 said:

I’ll be boycotting MOTD and hope the viewing figures crash . It’s pretty clear now that those in charge of the BBC are nothing but Tory lapdogs .

Labour and the Tories often moaned about the BBC in the past which showed it was doing its job and holding those in power to account .

We are living in dark times where liberal democracies have never been under more attack from the right wingers who think they have a divine right to rule and will dismantle the democratic foundations we treasure .

People will say it can’t happen in the UK but we are seeing a slow erosion of our democracy .

The Tories are a clear and present danger to our democracy and must be removed in 2024 before it’s too late .

Yes, I am sure MOTD figures will crash because most of its viewers always tuned in to hear Gary Lineker's views on the Sunak government, they couldn't care less about the football highlights it showed!
  • Options
    Just as it's a sure sign of getting old when the policemen start to look young, it's a sure sign of a right-wing authoritarian government when the football commentators start to look lefty.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    Good evening, everyone.

Iran and Saudi Arabia resume diplomatic relations:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-64906996
  • Options

Comedy Gold from the Tories. Was is the Tory Chair or Tory DG who got to sack Lineker and block the Attenborough programme?

Lineker must go off air because he isn't impartial. Says the very impartial "can I be Chairman of the BBC if I arrange £800k for you Prime Minister"?

Piss funny. What the "I agree" posters don't understand is how this looks to normals. Because we are going to now have a pile of Tory Mince MPs and their media morons screeching about why it was correct to silence anyone with an opinion. As Cruella said, they are Betrayong Britain.

The Tories should be utterly embarrassed by their remaining supporters on here advocating cancelling people they don't like because of their terrible Government. We now need a Labour Government to turf this lot out for good. It is the only way.

Then PR urgently.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

This has been known about for nearly a quarter of a century.

https://web.archive.org/web/20101203012826/http://www.royal.gov.uk/ThecurrentRoyalFamily/TheEarlofWessex/The Earl of Wessex.aspx
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Labour and the Tories often moaned about the BBC in the past which showed it was doing its job and holding those in power to account .

Shearer joins Wright in boycotting in Solidarity

Wonder which Scab will stand in.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

felix said:

Well, I don't watch ITVbe or the Jewellery Channel either :lol:
  • Options

The Tories should be utterly embarrassed by their remaining supporters on here advocating cancelling people they don't like because of their terrible Government. We now need a Labour Government to turf this lot out for good. It is the only way.

Then PR urgently.
    Be careful what you wish for, the biggest beneficiary from PR on current polls would be RefUK not Labour, followed by the LDs and Greens. Indeed on some polls the Tories would now get more seats with PR than FPTP
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,345
    edited March 2023
    Chris said:

dixiedean said:

kinabalu said:

AlistairM said:

I don't understand what all the fuss is about with Lineker, the BBC and free speech. Seems fairly simple to me.

If you work for the public funded BBC then you have to be politically impartial and can't say whatever you like on Twitter.

That is fairly simple - Andrew Neil is equally tough with his guests, whether they are Conservatives or Labour. He may have his own views but, in his role, he is neutral. If you didn't know his politics, you wouldn't be able to guess it from his interviews.

Compare and contrast with the likes of Emily Matilis who lets her contempt for anything that is not aligned with her views shine through. You can guess her politics a mile off.
    Though that doesn't work in this case- I don't think that Lineker has been anything other than scrupulously neutral on MotD. Unless I have missed the bits about how Liverpool is still smarting from the effects of Thatcherism, whereas Sunderland is triving thanks to Brexit benefits.
    You jest.
    Lineker ( and Shearer) act as valuable balance to an array of LFC and MUFC inclined pundits.

The way things are going, Match of the Day will be presented by a tub of lard. If lard is still available in the shops.
    The whole thing is a mess blown out of proportion

The BBC are foolish to remove Lineker from MOD and it is now snowballing out of control with unpredictable consequences for the BBC

I did not agree with Lineker's comments and if he had said them in the programme then that would be a sacking offence under BBC rules

However, his tweet was outside of the BBC and as such is a matter of free speech

I do not see him back at MOD but also the BBC are going to find it difficult to appoint someone to present it
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

felix said:

Well, I don't watch ITVbe or the Jewellery Channel either :lol:
    Difference is no one expects you to pay for itvbe or the jewellery channel when you don't watch them
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

When?

As also posted earlier Savanta today has the Tories up to 32% and Howard 2005 levels, above Major 1997 and Hague 2001 levels and also above the 28% May got in the 2019 locals
    https://twitter.com/Savanta_UK/status/1634237761564622867?s=20
    You'll need slightly more than 32% to cling onto power in 2024!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

Yes, I am sure MOTD figures will crash because most of its viewers always tuned in to hear Gary Lineker's views on the Sunak government, they couldn't care less about the football highlights it showed!
    You’re missing the point. The party you support - the one I’ve abandoned - has chosen to try and govern with shite unworkable policies, underlined by the culture war, because it has nothing left to give the public. Cutting HS2, raising taxes, underpaying key workers, increased levels of immigration despite promising the opposite. There’s nothing left - so why not stir the “Lineker” BBC pot
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,623
    edited March 2023
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

felix said:

Which part of what I said was untrue.....consumers of pbs are not paying for it. When they have to pay for bbc they aren't so interested...I really dont give a shit how popular it is on pbs because anything free does not show its valued....maybe its just the best thing on pbs.

If people in britain could watch sky, itv etc without paying the licence fee if they didnt watch any bbc or iplayer do you think the number of licence payers would rise or fall. I suspect bbc would find its finance cut in half personally. If you disagree then you should have no problem with the experiment.

Like I said, or rather added, to previous comment, am NOT saying anything re: the Beeb IN THE UK.

Here in USA, it's true that most PBS viewers are NOT making donations, so you are partly correct that these people are not paying for it directly.

However, a sizable share of regular PBSers DO contribute, especially in the higher-income categories. And for many, indeed most of these, BBC programs are a major, in fact sometimes THE, incentive.

Note that Americans have tendency to consider virtually ANY British television program or whatever, to be part of the BBC. Which just goes to show the standing of the Beeb - both high and broad - with us.

ADDENDUM - And agree with you that much of BBC programming as shown on PBS is indeed vapid tripe. Even though PBS mgt does cherry-pick.

Actually, pretty common (or used to be) for PBS to negotiate a package deal with Beeb, so that for every one or two quality programs, Americans got to watch some abysmal Brit-crap.
  • Options

Good evening, everyone.

Iran and Saudi Arabia resume diplomatic relations:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-64906996

2 autocratic regimes agree a deal brokered by autocratic China
  • Options

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

You’re missing the point. The party you support - the one I’ve abandoned - has chosen to try and govern with shite unworkable policies, underlined by the culture war, because it has nothing left to give the public. Cutting HS2, raising taxes, underpaying key workers, increased levels of immigration despite promising the opposite. There’s nothing left - so why not stir the “Lineker” BBC pot
    Doesn't matter mate. HYUFD doesn't care about traditional supporters like you. He didn't give a toss when I told him my Dad - Tory voter of 40+ years - will now be voting Lib Dem.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,877
    HYUFD said:

What a load of rubbish.

Prince Edward and Sophie are the hardest working royals after the Princess Royal and the King and Queen Consort.

When the Duke of York and Sussexes stepped back as working royals they stepped up to do more of the work themselves and they are worthy recipients of the title, not least too as Prince Edward has taken over the D of E scheme from his father
    Your stuff about working to get a Dukedom doesn't make sense given that York and Sussex are keeping theirs without doing any work for it.

What with all the corporations being told to send their bosses to submit to KCIII, no doubt with expensive illuminated parchments, this is looking a very oddly modernised monarchy.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

Did you vote Conservative in 2019?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,043
    Taz said:

rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

SVB is in the process of being wound down. FDIC are paying all insured depositors on Monday. Uninsured are getting certificates.

There are many, many venture backed companies who are going to be in serious pain this morning.
    Yes, I said this was a problem elsewhere in this thread.
    About four months ago I had a very expensive lunch with SVB, where they tried to pitch their offering to me.

They were happy to lend my little insurance company a lot of money, and to allow me to take out a mortgage secured on the stock in said little insurance company.

Fortunately, we already had pretty good banking relationships, and so weren't tempted to make a change. I feel very grateful for that today.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

felix said:

Like I said, or rather added, to previous comment, am NOT saying anything re: the Beeb IN THE UK.

Here in USA, it's true that most PBS viewers are NOT making donations, so you are partly correct that these people are not paying for it directly.

However, a sizable share of regular PBSers DO contribute, especially in the higher-income categories. And for many, indeed most of these, BBC programs are a major, in fact sometimes THE, incentive.

Note that Americans have tendency to consider virtually ANY British television program or whatever, to be part of the BBC. Which just goes to show the standing of the Beeb - both high and broad - with us.
    Ask them to pay for it see how many value it enough to keep a sub
  • Options

Tory Donor as Chairman

Tory supporting DG

Tory Candidate as Head of News

Tory donors wife chairing QT

Tory presenting Politics Daily

Tory shrill presenting the Sunday Politics Show

Andrew Marr who you quote is also a Tory

Left liberal I dont think so.
    Your allegation of Marr being a Tory highlights the (hopefully intended) hilarity of your post:

'Regarding his political affiliations, he was formerly a Maoist and a member of the Socialist Campaign for a Labour Victory, a left-wing pressure group founded by Labour Party members, now known as the Alliance for Workers' Liberty. His interest in Mao Zedong began as early as age eleven, when he gave fellow Craigflower School students copies of the Little Red Book that he had requested and received from the Chinese embassy.[7][8] His affinity for Maoism continued into his time at Cambridge, where Marr says he was a "raving leftie" who acquired the nickname "Red Andy".[9][10]'

If that's your bar for a Tory, no wonder you think the Beeb has a right wing slant.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,909
    edited March 2023
    Chris said:

dixiedean said:

kinabalu said:

AlistairM said:

You jest.

There was really no good outcomes here for the BBC. If it is part of employee contracts that they have to be neutral(ish) even off air, then it was pretty clear to anyone with an IQ above 50 that Linekar would never voluntarily do that, so they could just let him do what he wants with no consequence and make attempts at reigning others in look hypocrital or pointless, and get moaned at a lot by the government. But if they took action against him it makes him a free speech hero, not least since a lot of people also agree vehemently with him and he did do it in his own time, and drags the story out even more, turning a regular media tiff into a big issue.

Doing nothing might have made them look toothless, but was better than doing something in this case- plenty of people who want to stop the boats likely do not care about Linekar criticising the plan, so the number pleased will be far less than those angered.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997
    Roger said:

Suella Braverman breaks the Ministerial code and is made Home Secretary a week later.

Meanwhile Johnson's fixer is made Chairman of the BBC and Lineker is sacked for showing a compassion most of us share

This government can fuck off.

I can't believe that we're not on the streets with pitchforks making it happen

@Barnesian2

#ImWithGary #BBC Who is "The BBC" who is making these decisions about Gary Lineker and David Attenborough? The DG?
    I urge all BBC presenters and senior staff to write an open letter to the DG and Chairman saying they have lost confidence in them and urge them to step down.

@Barnesian2

#ImWithGary #bbc
    Even better, go to the DG's office and escort him from the building with live BBC News coverage.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

Yes :blush:
  • Options
    EPG said:

The BBC journalistic consensus since 2010 has tended to be left-of-centre on cultural issues and rightwing on economic and social issues. What's happening now is that there are so many Tory placemen unshamedly stuffed into management positions, particularly by Johnson, that the administrative line from on high is beginning to move clearly to the right on cultural/identity/immigration issues, too ; that's why the overall balance of bias is now beginning to looking more obvious than beforehand.

Take the decisions on these appointments out of the hands of government, and that way you can save its credibility, intellectual independence and reputation, and stop Starmer, or anyone else, doing the same.
    At what point does "bias" simply reflect the expected outcomes from more-or-less settled majority opinion? Sure, almost a third of people voted for Corbyn-style socialism, but two-thirds didn't. So we'd not expect a random draw of the population to be Corbyn-style socialists.
    40% voted for Corbyn in 2017 so by your logic we should have expected 40% of BBC posts to be filled by Corbynite Socialists it was close to Zero.

Who was the last outright Socialist in a senior management post at the BBC?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

I did. And I regret it. I’ve voted conservative in every election from when I could vote from 2010
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

The polls are all over the place

Is conservatives at 32% (+3) their highest for a long time

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1634237953139458059?t=HReSLMRYBylR1p5_BSl-Fw&s=19

Although there's a lot of variability I think there are clear signs now that we've passed Peak Labour for this parliament and swingback should gradually take place between now and Election 24.
    You think? It's hard to reconcile the Savanta 11-point lead (admittedly a week older) with the Omnisis 24-point lead. It's certainly come down from the heights of the Truss era, but the average seems to be hovering around 18-19. My guess is that both Savanta and Omnisis are outliers, but who knows?
    My take on the polls is that there is so much going on that to take individual polls is unwise but the trend over weeks and months is to be watched
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,911
    HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

So you’re point is they didn’t tune into hear his political views because he never made any apart from his BBC sanctioned Qatar comments which strangely didn’t annoy the right wing hate rags ! This is total hypocrisy from the BBC and a sign that we no longer have an independent broadcaster. A very sad day .
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,941
    It is now clear that if you either present or appear in the studio on tomorrow's Match of the Day you are making a political statement and should be suspended by the BBC!
  • Options
    Good lets hope they cant broadcast as all the rest refuse as well

Frank Lampard would Scab I bet
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,859

nico679 said:

Bring back Des Lynam :D
  • Options
    So, Sunak and Macron.

Which of them got lubed first? Because those two were heading for the bedroom surely https://news.sky.com/video/sunak-arrives-in-paris-for-macron-talks-12830230
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

Yes :blush:
    Fascist!
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

What a load of rubbish.

Your stuff about working to get a Dukedom doesn't make sense given that York and Sussex are keeping theirs without doing any work for it.

What with all the corporations being told to send their bosses to submit to KCIII, no doubt with expensive illuminated parchments, this is looking a very oddly modernised monarchy.
    The Sussexes and Yorks are not allowed to use their former HRH titles unlike the Edinburghs. In order of age the Duke of York would have become Duke of Edinburgh, instead this is an award from the King to Prince Edward to reflect his service as a working royal.

• Options

Genuinely agree with everything Lineker said in his Tweet. Spoke the truth.

Whether he spoke the truth is pretty irrelevant to whether he should be allowed to say it. It might wrankle with the BBC management, and perhaps the foot soldiers who have to maintain neutrality even if they don't work in the news department, but big stars really are different, there's no point trying to muzzle them since this is what you get if you try - or worse, evem if their contracts allow it.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

I did. And I regret it. I’ve voted conservative in every election from when I could vote from 2010
    And tbh - at the age of 34 this year - it’s pretty clear that the Tories don’t want people of my age voting for them. Fine.
  • Options
    As I've said, I'm against Lineker's sacking, but the march of the Tax-fiddle martyrs is taking a rather ridiculous turn.

They should just get Des Lynam back.

• Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

You shouldn't regret it. You helped save us from Corbyn. When there are two atrocious options all you can do is choose the less bad one.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

And tbh - at the age of 34 this year - it’s pretty clear that the Tories don’t want people of my age voting for them. Fine.
    They hate us mate. They use us as a piggy bank to pay for the elderly.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

Doesn't matter mate. HYUFD doesn't care about traditional supporters like you. He didn't give a toss when I told him my Dad - Tory voter of 40+ years - will now be voting Lib Dem.
    Anyway who isn't voting Conservative next time isn't a solid Tory, at most a Tory leaning swing voter even if they had voted Conservative in 2019.

Same as anyone who didn't vote Labour in 2019 wasn't a solid Labour supporter either, even if they had voted Labour in 2017 they were just a Labour leaning swing voter.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

What a load of rubbish.

The Sussexes and Yorks are not allowed to use their former HRH titles unlike the Edinburghs. In order of age the Duke of York would have become Duke of Edinburgh, instead this is an award from the King to Prince Edward to reflect his service as a working royal.

Ok I have to ask because I have been wondering...why do you believe most people give two fucks about what you are posting about the royal family. It is something of absolute indifference to most people, they really aren't that important to most
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

Anyway who isn't voting Conservative next time isn't a solid Tory, at most a Tory leaning swing voter even if they had voted Conservative in 2019.

Same as anyone who didn't vote Labour in 2019 wasn't a solid Labour supporter either, even if they had voted Labour in 2017 they were just a Labour leaning swing voter.
    40 years and voted Tory in every election. Not a real Tory, what the actual fuck mate
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    WTF is the world talking about Gary Lineker. Is there really nothing better to do?

I haven't seen the government's rhetoric on the boats issue. Gary thought it was a bit sinister. Honestly, who cares?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Suella Braverman breaks the Ministerial code and is made Home Secretary a week later.

Meanwhile Johnson's fixer is made Chairman of the BBC and Lineker is sacked for showing a compassion most of us share

I think it was less than a week actually.

The BBC Chairman was dodgy as f*ck in his claim to have thought all was above board by just mentioning something to Case, and not disclosing it to the commitee. People who genuinely believe that whilst facilitating massive personal loans to powerful figures are dangerously stupid, and I just don't buy he could be that stupid, making it just dodgy.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

So you’re point is they didn’t tune into hear his political views because he never made any apart from his BBC sanctioned Qatar comments which strangely didn’t annoy the right wing hate rags ! This is total hypocrisy from the BBC and a sign that we no longer have an independent broadcaster. A very sad day .
    Exactly what I was saying. It's not that the BBC thinks its broadcasters shouldn't push a political line. It's that the BBC thinks they should push the political line the BBC tells them to.
  • Options
    RichardrRichardr Posts: 81

As I've said, I'm against Lineker's sacking, but the march of the Tax-fiddle martyrs is taking a rather ridiculous turn.

Des is 80.
  • Options
    Driver said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

You shouldn't regret it. You helped save us from Corbyn. When there are two atrocious options all you can do is choose the less bad one.
    That was partly the reason. But it was also being bought up in a household that benefited from Thatcher. Current experience shows that the conservatives just don’t give a shit anymore
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290
    Senior former BBC and OFCOM Board member just interviewed on Radio 5 Live.

Said BBC had no choice - Lineker in clear breach of editorial guidelines which anyone can read (publicly available online) and yes guidelines do apply to Lineker even though not in News and a freelance (people in News have to follow even stricter guidelines).

Said BBC has had to speak to Lineker many times in the past and he carries on doing it and this time left with no option but to suspend him until agreement reached.
  • Options

nico679 said:

Matt Le Tissier?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

They hate us mate. They use us as a piggy bank to pay for the elderly.
    Actually we despise you because you are a millenial is all
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,057

It is now clear that if you either present or appear in the studio on tomorrow's Match of the Day you are making a political statement and should be suspended by the BBC!

This is all hilarious. Absolutely hilarious.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

Good luck getting absolutely stuffed at the next election. Well deserved
  • Options

Chris said:

dixiedean said:

kinabalu said:

AlistairM said:

You jest.

The BBC are foolish to remove Lineker from MOD and it is now snowballing out of control with unpredictable consequences for the BBC

I did not agree with Lineker's comments and if he had said them in the programme then that would be a sacking offence under BBC rules

However, his tweet was outside of the BBC and as such is a matter of free speech

I do not see him back at MOD but also the BBC are going to find it difficult to appoint someone to present it
    It highlights to the media just how many Tory placemen have been installed in these positions of power in the BBC. Taking Attenborough off air is bonkers one way. Taking Lineker off air is bonkers the other way. Shines the paranoia spotlight straight back onto Mince MPs who will be self-righteously applauding the impartiality of the Tory plants.

Then again, if the collateral damage is that the BBC loses popularity then that is also a win for the Tories. Just as making chunks of the railway unusable was policy, making the BBC evil appears also to be policy.
  • Options

Whilst I like the presenting and punditry aspect, it'd be a little funny if they decided to air just the game footage, and ratings were massively up as everyone tuned in to see who the presenter was going to be.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796
    Richardr said:

Des is 80.
    You think he'll not do it because he has eyes on the US Presidency then?
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Said BBC had no choice - Lineker in clear breach of editorial guidelines which anyone can read (publicly available online) and yes guidelines do apply to Lineker even though not in News and a freelance (people in News have to follow even stricter guidelines).

Said BBC has had to speak to Lineker many times in the past and he carries on doing it and this time left with no option but to suspend him until agreement reached.

Then the guidelines are stupid.

He presents football, why do his political views even matter?
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

Alternatively, they might be the type of person who weighs up their vote dependent on the offering available and what they feel to be the needs of the country, rather than someone who just mindlessly votes for the candidate wearing the approved rosette that they have decided to build their identity around.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

What a load of rubbish.

Ok I have to ask because I have been wondering...why do you believe most people give two fucks about what you are posting about the royal family. It is something of absolute indifference to most people, they really aren't that important to most
    It is important to me and it was obviously important enough for the person who posted on it I replied to
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,234

He's 80!

The Tories now own cancel culture.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

I believe that all to be true (apart from him being a freelance), but that this case has shown it is unenforcable in practice for the big stars. They can jump ship and get a gig elsewhere, or they can take a punishment and look a hero for just saying things plenty of other people say.
  • Options
    Richardr said:

Des is 80.
    It wasn't an entirely serious suggestion, but I don't think being 80 should prevent someone compering a TV programme.
  • Options

So, Sunak and Macron.

Which of them got lubed first? Because those two were heading for the bedroom surely https://news.sky.com/video/sunak-arrives-in-paris-for-macron-talks-12830230

You are better than that comment
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

Only since 2010? Not a proper Tory then. Not like HYUFD, he is the only gay in the village.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,859

Richardr said:

Des is 80.
    It wasn't an entirely serious suggestion, but I don't think being 80 should prevent someone compering a TV programme.
    Yeah, 80 is the new 70 :D
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,529

Chris said:

dixiedean said:

kinabalu said:

AlistairM said:

You jest.

Best for the Beeb and the government would have been a bit of masterly inactivity.

Unfortunately, the modern Conservative Party are the prisoners of the Daily Mail, who had to have their scalp.

And, aside from the puzzles and gardening offers, the Mail is an increasingly nasty paper, cynically pushing buttons to scare and anger its readers.

I get it as a business model; they've lost readers more slowly than their rivals. But it's led the Conservatives into a blooming dark place.
  • Options

MikeL said:

Because pissing off half your audience is a really stupid idea.
  • Options
    Hearing Laura Kunnesburg in the running to be the new MOTD presented.
  • Options
    edited March 2023

Genuinely agree with everything Lineker said in his Tweet. Spoke the truth.

Me too

Ian Wright, Alex Scott, Alan Shearer possibly do too

Time to make a stand against the Fascists currently running the BBC

Put me down for anything except voting for SKS!!
  • Options
    nico679 said:

MikeL said:

What are the guidelines for the Chairman of the BBC in terms of impartiality?
    Guidelines read:
    a) Give PM 6 figure sum
    b) Do whatever the Tories want
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

You do make extraordinary silly statements

Your 'solid Tory' is a core and if with your views a minority when it is far more than a core that is needed to win an election
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,057

MikeL said:

Would you be saying that if he posted an image of a Nazi salute, or said that Mussolini was a nice fella?

Of course not. He is a Schrodinger's BBC employee (they employ him but don't employ him), but his brand is intimately connected with the BBC. What he says and does reflects on them.
  • Options

Richardr said:

Des is 80.
    Or indeed running for President of the United States.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    Mr. Tres, Antigonus Monopthalmus was over 80 when he fought at the Battle of Ipsus.
This discussion has been closed.