Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Trump now an evens chance of winning the GOP WH2024 nomination – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,136

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Chris said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Driver said:

Free speech is dead. Right wingers love cancel culture.

Gary Lineker to step back from presenting Match of the Day until agreement reached on social media use - BBC statement

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64920557

Maybe he's realised that although he has the right to do so, alienating half his audience isn't a sensible idea.
    It’s not so much the alienation, it’s that the BBC relies on a licence fee, which is particularly paid by older Tory voters

If 10,000 of them think Fuck it, why should I help to pay Gary Lineker £1.5m a year to spout Woke gibberish (which he does) AND avoid tax on it, that’s 10,000 x £180 a year = £1.8m lost, every year from now on. Lineker is not worth that. And if 50,000 older people think fuck the Licence Fee then the BBC is in real trouble

Market forces. The beeb relies on older Tories coughing up. What a shame for Gary
    Gary will be fine. I wouldn't worry about him.

He’ll be fine, just like Jeremy Clarkson is fine. But if the BBC wants to survive (I doubt it can, but it should try) it has to do this. The spectacle of this mega-millionaire tax avoider exulting in his ludicrous lefty views on social media is nauseating - he only has that influence because of the BBC

See, also, BBC presenter Alan Sugar. Though, to be fair, Gary Lineker was a world class footballer who was internationally famous because he scored countless goals for Leicester, Barcelona, Everton, Spurs and England. Sugar not so much.

Sugar is arguably more impressive than Lineker. The Amstrad was genuinely quite revolutionary
    OK so Sugar made a decent guitar that was quite popular at the time. Does that enable him to pretend to be some kind of business guru for the rest of his life?
    Guitar? You may wish to recalculate using your Amstrad calculator!
    His violins are legendary, though.

Sugar's greatest innovation was a cheap word processor incompatible with anything else. Back in the day I used to scratch a few bob here and there translating Amstrad WP files to PC or Mac for onward editing. In retrospect I might have realised it would be short-lived.
    I adapted mine with a PC drive to do that myself! - posting the 5.25 inch discs to editors in many a magazine or newspaper or academic journal. Saved a lot of money on having to buy a pukka PC till prices came down.
    Alan Sugar epitomised why the UK gets nowhere in many fields in tech.

Cheapest possible product, barely developed, chuck it over the wall.
    But that was why it was so popular with bands like the Who. You could throw it off the stage one night, and be playing it again the next.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,369

dixiedean said:

Ian Wright is refusing to appear in solidarity.

So by Saturday the only football pundits willing to present will be David Mellor or David Icke.

Wait, didn't Mellor used to present 606?
    Let @Leon and @HYUFD present MOTD!
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,518
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

So much is the same as mid-1990's ; a BBC stuffed to the gills with Conservative placemen, a government soon to be voted out in a landslide.

All we might need is the second dawning of Britpop, to complete the holy visions.

Yes, that well known bastion of Tory politics the BBC

I pity the BBC.

It cannot win

The barking left think it’s full of Tories, the barking right think it’s full of commies. It tries to tread the middle ground and generally does on national issues. On local issues it’s news is little more than recycled press releases from charities and lobbyists.

High time the licence fee was abolished and it sought its own funding. Especially when viewing numbers are falling
    Without licence fee funding the BBC would collapse. It might get some subscribing to pay for Dancing on Ice or Attenborough (while he remains alive) and the odd drama like Gold and The Bodyguard but that is about it.

Not having adverts is one of the few advantages the BBC now still has over rivals with viewers

Of course it will collapse.
    That’s what the BBCphobes desire.
    What do you suggest when broadcast TV ends?

To put it another way, the next generation doesn't watch broadcast. They watch iPlayer. Already.

How will the TV license work then?
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Chris said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Driver said:

Gary Lineker to step back from presenting Match of the Day until agreement reached on social media use - BBC statement

Maybe he's realised that although he has the right to do so, alienating half his audience isn't a sensible idea.
    It’s not so much the alienation, it’s that the BBC relies on a licence fee, which is particularly paid by older Tory voters

If 10,000 of them think Fuck it, why should I help to pay Gary Lineker £1.5m a year to spout Woke gibberish (which he does) AND avoid tax on it, that’s 10,000 x £180 a year = £1.8m lost, every year from now on. Lineker is not worth that. And if 50,000 older people think fuck the Licence Fee then the BBC is in real trouble

Market forces. The beeb relies on older Tories coughing up. What a shame for Gary

He’ll be fine, just like Jeremy Clarkson is fine. But if the BBC wants to survive (I doubt it can, but it should try) it has to do this. The spectacle of this mega-millionaire tax avoider exulting in his ludicrous lefty views on social media is nauseating - he only has that influence because of the BBC

See, also, BBC presenter Alan Sugar. Though, to be fair, Gary Lineker was a world class footballer who was internationally famous because he scored countless goals for Leicester, Barcelona, Everton, Spurs and England. Sugar not so much.

Sugar is arguably more impressive than Lineker. The Amstrad was genuinely quite revolutionary
    OK so Sugar made a decent guitar that was quite popular at the time. Does that enable him to pretend to be some kind of business guru for the rest of his life?

Sugar's greatest innovation was a cheap word processor incompatible with anything else. Back in the day I used to scratch a few bob here and there translating Amstrad WP files to PC or Mac for onward editing. In retrospect I might have realised it would be short-lived.
    Yes undoubtedly the WP systems were the real cash cow. His PC range was pretty successful too (I bought one). The violins has issues - a bit Amstradivarious!
    Just to avoid confusion, it was the Amstradocaster I was talking about.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,764
    Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Chris said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Driver said:

I adapted mine with a PC drive to do that myself! - posting the 5.25 inch discs to editors in many a magazine or newspaper or academic journal. Saved a lot of money on having to buy a pukka PC till prices came down.
    Most of my clients were lady authors who wouldn't stoop to such a trick!
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796
    I've no particular view on Lineker. I do have a view on the BBC making his activities the most pressing news of the day. It's absolutely ridiculous.

They do it all the time.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097
    edited March 2023
    HYUFD said:

Taz said:

So much is the same as mid-1990's ; a BBC stuffed to the gills with Conservative placemen, a government soon to be voted out in a landslide.

All we might need is the second dawning of Britpop, to complete the holy visions.

I pity the BBC.

It cannot win

The barking left think it’s full of Tories, the barking right think it’s full of commies. It tries to tread the middle ground and generally does on national issues. On local issues it’s news is little more than recycled press releases from charities and lobbyists.

High time the licence fee was abolished and it sought its own funding. Especially when viewing numbers are falling
    Without licence fee funding the BBC would collapse. It might get some subscribing to pay for Dancing on Ice or Attenborough (while he remains alive) and the odd drama like Gold and The Bodyguard but that is about it.

Not having adverts is one of the few advantages the BBC now still has over rivals with viewers

Of course that should be Strictly not Dancing on Ice which is ITV. You could probably now add Death in Paradise as a BBC show people would subscribe for but that is about it
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    I haven't watched QT for ages but I'm surprised so many on here say it is Tory biased. Wasn't when I last watched it - especially the audience. Must have changed a lot.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,366
    Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

I pity the BBC.

It cannot win

Without Lineker we can all pay a reduced license fee...
    Get rid if the so called experts, have an AI robot introduce and commentate on the games... or give no commentary at all. Would save a billion or. so ...
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,272

Ian Wright: "Everybody knows what Match of the Day means to me, but I’ve told the BBC I won’t be doing it tomorrow. Solidarity."

What does it mean to him ?

A payday ?

• Options

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

I pity the BBC.

It cannot win

To put it another way, the next generation doesn't watch broadcast. They watch iPlayer. Already.

At a guess, roughly like YouTube, Netflix, Amazon Prime, ITVX, FreeVee and about a hundred more.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,272
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

AlistairM said:

I don't understand what all the fuss is about with Lineker, the BBC and free speech. Seems fairly simple to me.

If you work for the public funded BBC then you have to be politically impartial and can't say whatever you like on Twitter.

If you don't work for the BBC then you can say what you like.

So, if you want to say what you want on Twitter don't work for the BBC.

Except that only seems to apply if you express opinions the government doesn't like. BBC presenter Alan Sugar is free to urge people to vote Tory, as he did in 2019, and to criticise Mick Lynch and the RMT, as he did earlier this year.
    Gary's 'left liberal centrism' is also fine if aimed Left rather than Right. "Bin Corbyn" was one of his tweet themes. No probs.
    No, I have a problem with that as well. If lineker said that, then fuck him, again

NO PARTY POLITICS IF YOU WORK MAINLY FOR THE BBC

A simple rule, simply applied
    I repeat, Davie, Gibb and Sharpe.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,794

The polls are all over the place

Is conservatives at 32% (+3) their highest for a long time

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1634237953139458059?t=HReSLMRYBylR1p5_BSl-Fw&s=19

Today we've had Labour at 42% and Tories at 32%, but not in the same polls.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

I've no particular view on Lineker. I do have a view on the BBC making his activities the most pressing news of the day. It's absolutely ridiculous.

They do it all the time.

I give neither a rats-arse about what he spouts nor a tinker's cuss whether he presents MOTD.

I must be unusual.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    Leon lookalike not think alike on QT last night

https://twitter.com/reece_dinsdale/status/1633987667699412994
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,910
    Why bother with having a government just get the Daily Mail to dictate the policies which the gimps in no 10 can enact .

The BBC is now so terrified of what a vindictive Tory government might do with the tv license review that it caves in everytime.

And to rub salt into the wounds it now won’t broadcast the David Attenborough programme on BBC tv but stick it away on iplayer.

God forbid the right wing snowflakes are faced with the truth of our destruction of the natural world .

What the BBC don’t realize is that the Tories will fuck them regardless .
  • Options
    Chris said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Chris said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Driver said:

Yes undoubtedly the WP systems were the real cash cow. His PC range was pretty successful too (I bought one). The violins has issues - a bit Amstradivarious!
    Just to avoid confusion, it was the Amstradocaster I was talking about.
    There's no point you back-Amstrad-pedalling now!
  • Options
    Roger said:

Suella Braverman breaks the Ministerial code and is made Home Secretary a week later.

Meanwhile Johnson's fixer is made Chairman of the BBC and Lineker is sacked for showing a compassion most of us share

This government can fuck off.

I can't believe that we're not on the streets with pitchforks making it happen

There's been a massive decline in pitchfork ownership.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1634237953139458059?t=HReSLMRYBylR1p5_BSl-Fw&s=19

32% would be better for Sunak than Hague got in 2001 and Major got in 1997 and be the same as Howard got in 2005
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Taz said:

I pity the BBC.

It cannot win

Dancing on Ice is on ITV

Not having adverts is such a highly prized advantage the viewing figures are falling year on year.

It really is not sustainable to have a license fee that funds the BBC in the multi channel and streaming age.

Pay for the non BBC element of the license fee out of general taxation and let the BBC compete for its funding. It keeps telling us how highly prized it is. If that’s the case it will have no problem.
  • Options
    The Govt did not sack Lineker. Roger. Do keep up [Roger, never knowingly correct]
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Roger said:

Suella Braverman breaks the Ministerial code and is made Home Secretary a week later.

Meanwhile Johnson's fixer is made Chairman of the BBC and Lineker is sacked for showing a compassion most of us share

Only 10 point Labour lead according to PB Tories if you aggregate your favoured polls
    Andy_JS said:

• Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,110
    Roger said:

Scratch the surface of a socialist and there's always a lust for violence just underneath.

And it's always the same people who are blase about anti-Semitism too.
  • Options
    After major figures refuse to take over from Lineker BBC announce neutral host

https://twitter.com/Parody_PM/status/1634243947450220544/photo/1
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,908
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Chris said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Driver said:

Alan Sugar epitomised why the UK gets nowhere in many fields in tech.

Cheapest possible product, barely developed, chuck it over the wall.

No actual knowledge of what he was trying to sell.
    Quite. The PCW was basically a heap of the equivalents of Betamax VCRs all put into a box and sold as one unit. Notably the - three inch, was it? - disc drive. Only it was so successful that the manufacturers of the different bits had to put them back into production!
    Betamax was superior to VHS, though.

VHS was the cheap option but with a larger supply of videos available in plain covers. Allegedly.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Probably the most likely result to be honest
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2023
    nico679 said:

Why bother with having a government just get the Daily Mail to dictate the policies which the gimps in no 10 can enact .

The BBC is now so terrified of what a vindictive Tory government might do with the tv license review that it caves in everytime.

And to rub salt into the wounds it now won’t broadcast the David Attenborough programme on BBC tv but stick it away on iplayer.

God forbid the right wing snowflakes are faced with the truth of our destruction of the natural world .

What the BBC don’t realize is that the Tories will fuck them regardless .

I agree with some of that with Nico, but see below - I would say that it's more that the BBC is now administratively Tory-dominated, as in the 1990's.

Starmer may also do something similar, but probably to a lesser extent. I think the logic for these decisions being moved out of the ambit of central government is now stronger than ever ; in fact these may come to be seen as even more important reforms than anything to do with the license fee, for the survival of its credibility.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,877

After major figures refuse to take over from Lineker BBC announce neutral host

https://twitter.com/Parody_PM/status/1634243947450220544/photo/1

Whohe, please?
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Taz said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

I pity the BBC.

It cannot win

Dancing on Ice is on ITV

Not having adverts is such a highly prized advantage the viewing figures are falling year on year.

It really is not sustainable to have a license fee that funds the BBC in the multi channel and streaming age.

Pay for the non BBC element of the license fee out of general taxation and let the BBC compete for its funding. It keeps telling us how highly prized it is. If that’s the case it will have no problem.
    Yes, apologies I meant Strictly.

I would pay a license fee for some BBC shows of cultural merit eg Attenborough, the Proms and big sport events like the 6 Nations and Olympics and Wimbledon. The rest can be funded by advertising or subscription, that would keep Strictly going as it has a big audience, probably Pointless, the Apprentice, Call the Midwife and Death in Paradise too but other programmes which could not attract viewers would fall by the wayside
  • Options

The Govt did not sack Lineker. Roger. Do keep up [Roger, never knowingly correct]

But the Government did appoint Conservative loyalists Gibb, Davie and Sharpe
  • Options
    Stocky said:

I haven't watched QT for ages but I'm surprised so many on here say it is Tory biased. Wasn't when I last watched it - especially the audience. Must have changed a lot.

It always used to feel like a third Tory, a third Labour and a third Lib Dem. But closer to the activist base of each than the voters, so 2/3rds leftie.
  • Options

I think the charge is that it kind-of did behind the scenes.

I'd be surprised if this were true - if the government had any sense it would be out of the blocks denouncing the BBC for being against free speech and cancel-culture (something which it criticised the left for).
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,794
    Stocky said:

Last night's programme certainly wasn't Tory biased. It was from North London.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,418
    Actually - before I go to sleep in Vietnam (or read some more of Simon Sebag Montefiore’s world history ((essentially the same thing*))’I think @kinabalu makes a good point

Gary Lineker is over 60. His career as a mainstream pundit is nearly done. Young people have no idea who he is or what he did. Likewise Ian Wright. How much better to be fired for a noble political opinion than to simply be retired for being passé

The same rule applied to Clarkson

Plus the entire broadcast ecosystem is shifting. This way a Lineker or a Clarkson gets a final bite of the cherry

*montefiore’s world history is excellent but turgid. Needs to be read in small doses over months
  • Options
    Roger said:

Lineker has not been sacked, rogerdamus.

Under new labour they had their own fixers running the Beeb. Get annoyed at the system not the side you don’t agree with.

If you seriously think people should be in the streets with pitchforks over the BBC governship and Lineker you’re deluded.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2023
    HYUFD said:

Taz said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

I pity the BBC.

It cannot win

Dancing on Ice is on ITV

I would pay a license fee for some BBC shows of cultural merit eg Attenborough, the Proms and big sport events like the 6 Nations and Olympics and Wimbledon. The rest can be funded by advertising or subscription, that would keep Strictly going as it has a big audience, probably Pointless and Death in Paradise too but other programmes which could not attract viewers would fall by the wayside
    Attenborough ofcourse, in himself, also represents the golden era of BBC cultural and intellectual output before Birt.

A very open-minded but also royalist intellectual, who made BBC2 one of the best channels in the world, from when he ran it in the late 1960's, up to about 1994, or 1995.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Ian Wright: "Everybody knows what Match of the Day means to me, but I’ve told the BBC I won’t be doing it tomorrow. Solidarity."

Whether you are in the right or the wrong (and I have no particular views on this) Ian Wright has always struck me as someone you would want in your corner. Loyal to a fault.
    If I were the BBC I'd use this as an opportunity to replace Lineker and Wright afresh for about a quarter of the cost.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,623
    kamski said:

Scott_xP said:

Stocky said:

E-things:

one website:

"... electric bikes are known as ‘electrically assisted pedal cycles’ (EAPCs). You do not need a licence to ride one and it does not need to be registered, taxed or insured."

According to James May the pedal is the important bit there.

If the electric motor only runs when you pedal, it's a bike.

If it runs without you pedaling, it's a motorbike, and not only needs tax and insurance, it needs a license plate as well
    Most electric bicycles are power assisted; another word you have to pedal, but the electric motor makes it a lot easier
    Yes, much easier for feckwads to mow down pedestrians, they are a menace in downtown Seattle these days.
    Out of interest, how many pedestrians have been killed by e bikes in the last year in Seattle?
    No clue. Can tell you that TWO feckers came within inches of me on sidewalks YESTERDAY zooming along at speed, weaving their sorry way though streams of pedestrians.

Am talking about the ones that are littering the sidewalks as per city policy, for the fun of visitors and profit of investors, all with LOTS of feel-good propaganda AND insider cronyism.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,310
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Alright then. Let’s just cancel the BBC entirely. Have a bunch of channels paid for by subscribers/viewers. That’s more honest and maybe healthier. Enough

We can have a UK Fox and a UK CNN. Sorted

Very healthy, I’m sure.
    Mmm that'd be just super if we could replicate the Fox v CNN tv dynamic over here.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,093
    How long till we find out that Lineker's contract doesn't actually require him to appear to get paid...
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    Stocky said:

I think the charge is that it kind-of did behind the scenes.

I'd be surprised if this were true - if the government had any sense it would be out of the blocks denouncing the BBC for being against free speech and cancel-culture (something which it criticised the left for).
    I think it's more likely the BBC did it (suspend, not sack in any case) because they thought it was expected than because they were actually told to.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    SVB is in the process of being wound down. FDIC are paying all insured depositors on Monday. Uninsured are getting certificates.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,858

Although there's a lot of variability I think there are clear signs now that we've passed Peak Labour for this parliament and swingback should gradually take place between now and Election 24.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    EU:
    Stay Out: 37% (-3)
    Re-join: 63% (+3)

Omnisis, 9-10 March
  • Options
    WillG said:

Andy_JS said:

Probably the most likely result to be honest
    Small labour majority territory ?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,310

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

I pity the BBC.

It cannot win

Dancing on Ice is on ITV

I would pay a license fee for some BBC shows of cultural merit eg Attenborough, the Proms and big sport events like the 6 Nations and Olympics and Wimbledon. The rest can be funded by advertising or subscription, that would keep Strictly going as it has a big audience, probably Pointless and Death in Paradise too but other programmes which could not attract viewers would fall by the wayside
    Attenborough ofcourse, in himself, also represents the golden era of BBC cultural and intellectual output before Birt.

A very open-minded but also royalist intellectual, who made BBC2 one of the best channels in the world, from when he ran it in the late 1960's, up to about 1994, or 1995.
    Your sort of guy, Oracle, your sort of guy - am I right?
  • Options
    Taz said:

Roger said:

Under new labour they had their own fixers running the Beeb. Get annoyed at the system not the side you don’t agree with.

If you seriously think people should be in the streets with pitchforks over the BBC governship and Lineker you’re deluded.
    It was never quite like this during New Labour. Lineker's likely dismissal in itself is neither here nor there, but under the surface we have a Putineque Party ownership of our national broadcaster.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Roger said:

It would make more sense if you started from the premise that Roger is deluded and go from there....
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,908
    Scott_xP said:

How long till we find out that Lineker's contract doesn't actually require him to appear to get paid...

If he's not paid per episode then I would imagine the tax man might have something further to say.
  • Options
    EXCL: The BBC has decided not to broadcast an episode of David Attenborough’s flagship new series on British wildlife because of fears of backlash from Tory politicians and rightwing press -
    @horton_official
    reports Pippa Crerar

In other news Pippa Crerar changes her name to Peppa Pig in an attempt to avoid the Fascist backlash at pointing out the Tories are Fascists
  • Options
    Duke of Edinburgh my arse.
  • Options

• Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

I pity the BBC.

It cannot win

Dancing on Ice is on ITV

Your sort of guy, Oracle, your sort of guy - am I right?
    You're right,Kinabalu ;.)!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,043
    Taz said:

SVB is in the process of being wound down. FDIC are paying all insured depositors on Monday. Uninsured are getting certificates.

There are many, many venture backed companies who are going to be in serious pain this morning.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731

That is rather good.
  • Options
    edited March 2023

HRH Prince Edward, Duke of Edinburgh to you
  • Options
    Stocky said:

DavidL said:

Whether you are in the right or the wrong (and I have no particular views on this) Ian Wright has always struck me as someone you would want in your corner. Loyal to a fault.
    If I were the BBC I'd use this as an opportunity to replace Lineker and Wright afresh for about a quarter of the cost.
    I think if they wanted them back at this point they might have to double their salaries. Or at least give a hefty donation to a charity benefitting asylum seekers.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356
    rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

There are many, many venture backed companies who are going to be in serious pain this morning.
    You make it sound like a buying opportunity.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Which streets i thought you were not UK based?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Whohe?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

GTF the pair of you morons.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,846

Taz said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

felix said:

Linekar steps down from motd. Where's my tiny violin when I need it?

Tories descend to Nazi-style censorship.
    Yes, it sort of proves his point.

I don't care one way or another but the double standards of the right wing press defending the right of free speech for Farage and Yaxley-Lennon, and cheering the fall of Lineker is a joyous irony.
    When Alan Sugar takes to Twitter to slag off Mick Lynch, that’s fine.

But when Gary Lineker tweets critically of government policy, that’s a breach of impartiality.

https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1634233104981213189?s=20
    One criticises our democratically elected government. The other… doesn’t.
    Good grief! Is criticising the democratically elected government verboten now?

What sort of a country have we become? What happened to free-speech?
    Perhaps explain's Leon's fondness for Ron DeSantis? Libertarian turned Oligarch, modeling his politik on Viktor Orban.
    The BBC is a state broadcaster. You don’t have that in America (perhaps wisely, who knows). I believe the BBC as we know it is doomed. Sadly. But if it is to survive it needs to be rigorously impartial in party politics. All employees (freelancers or otherwise) who provably gain the majority of their income from the BBC should be told, on pain of sacking, no political opinions on social media

And this should apply to left and right. To Sugar and Lineker. Just STFU as long as you work for the beeb
    The license fee needs to go, and ASAP.

As for the BBC it’s survival should depend on its ability to raise revenue without a license fee.
    The BBC's brand name would give it huge power to go to markets to raise cash. I think a subscription based model and member ownership, along the lines of the National Trust, is the way forward if it is to have a long-term future.

Britbox subs suggest its not nearly as popular a brand name as you think
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

Speaking of pained land pirates . . . AND high-priced real estate . . .

Seattle Times ($) - FTX engineering chief loses Orcas Island house in fraud case

A nearly 10-acre estate on Orcas Island is headed into government hands after a top engineer and associate of Sam Bankman-Fried at the collapsed cryptocurrency exchange FTX pleaded guilty to a six-count indictment, including wire fraud.

Former FTX engineering chief Nishad Singh bought the secluded property for $3.7 million in October, according to county property records.

Singh agreed to forfeit the property as part of his guilty plea, according to people familiar with the case. They spoke on the condition of anonymity because the forfeiture was redacted from court records.

The Orcas Island property includes a four-bedroom house and a two-bedroom guesthouse with “luxury amenities,” a 70-foot lap pool, hot tub, forests, gardens, ponds “and infinite privacy,” according to an online listing.

The property includes “magnificent marine and mountain views” including views of the San Juan Islands, Vancouver Island, the Olympic Mountains and Mount Rainier.

San Juan County, which includes Orcas Island, has some of the highest home prices in western Washington. The county’s median single-family home price was $960,000 in 2022, higher than King County’s median of $900,000.

Singh, 27, paid for the house with money from his personal FTX account. But the government believes the property is linked to his crimes in the case, in which prosecutors allege that customer funds at FTX were misappropriated by co-founder Bankman-Fried and his lieutenants.

Before FTX’s collapse, Singh reportedly lived with Bankman-Fried and others in a luxury penthouse in the Bahamas. It is unclear how much time, if any, Singh spent at the Orcas property since he bought it.

Singh has also agreed to forfeit an undisclosed amount of stock, prosecutors said in court last month. The assets subject to forfeiture were blacked out in a revised indictment filed in conjunction with his guilty plea. His lawyer declined to comment on the property forfeiture but, following the plea, said Singh “wants to do everything he can to make things right for victims.”

The plea marked the culmination of more than two months of talks with federal investigators in Manhattan about Singh’s exposure to an alleged fraud at FTX that has cost customers more than $8 billion.

Singh has agreed to cooperate with the government in the hope of receiving a lighter sentence. . . .
  • Options
    edited March 2023

Taz said:

Roger said:

It was never quite like this during New Labour. Lineker's likely dismissal in itself is neither here nor there, but under the surface we have a Putineque Party ownership of our national broadcaster.
    Ŵould you say the same about Clarksons dismissal from his TV gigs for a newspaper column ?

Lineker will not be dismissed. I have no doubt about it.
  • Options
    edited March 2023

Roger said:

Out of interest, BJO - if you were asked the standard opinion polling question “if there was an election tomorrow, who would you vote for?” What would your response be?

Genuine question.

I respect your opinion as someone from the socialist/corbynite left. Also, to be blunt, your opinion is useful to me, for betting purposes.

I guess, the angle I’m interested in is - is the “stop the boats” stuff effectively uniting the left behind Starmer?
  • Options
    Just flip the Labour and Tory scores around right? Is that how it works PB Tories?
  • Options

Wrong decision and cancel culture is a disease but oddly I don't think we'll be having the free speech brigade like Matt Goodwin and co shouting about this
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

Yes, I said this was a problem elsewhere in this thread.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,916
    Scott_xP said:

@henrymance

those BBC rules in full:
    - Attenborough can't broadcast a show about UK nature loss.
    - Lineker can't tweet criticising the government.
    - Alan Sugar *can* tweet criticising strikes.
    - The BBC chair *can* be a Tory donor who didn't disclose he facilitated a loan to Boris Johnson.

The current brand of Tories don't care about the hypocrisy anymore as long as they win. They are taking their lead from the GOP and Trump. I suppose we should be thankful Johnson only put his dad in the House of Lords instead of making him chair of the BBC.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,234
    BBC have lost the dressing room.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,325

dixiedean said:

Ian Wright is refusing to appear in solidarity.

So by Saturday the only football pundits willing to present will be David Mellor or David Icke.

Wait, didn't Mellor used to present 606?
    Let @Leon and @HYUFD present MOTD!
    Because one twat presenting isn't enough?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    It's all very well laughing at the BBC and its Tory chairman getting themselves in a pickle over Lineker but loads of Tories would quite happily see it fall apart anyway. It's those who value the BBC who should be most worried about this.

Does anyone want to save the BBC?
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

felix said:

I don't care one way or another but the double standards of the right wing press defending the right of free speech for Farage and Yaxley-Lennon, and cheering the fall of Lineker is a joyous irony.

But when Gary Lineker tweets critically of government policy, that’s a breach of impartiality.

Perhaps explain's Leon's fondness for Ron DeSantis? Libertarian turned Oligarch, modeling his politik on Viktor Orban.
    The BBC is a state broadcaster. You don’t have that in America (perhaps wisely, who knows). I believe the BBC as we know it is doomed. Sadly. But if it is to survive it needs to be rigorously impartial in party politics. All employees (freelancers or otherwise) who provably gain the majority of their income from the BBC should be told, on pain of sacking, no political opinions on social media

And this should apply to left and right. To Sugar and Lineker. Just STFU as long as you work for the beeb

As for the BBC it’s survival should depend on its ability to raise revenue without a license fee.
    The BBC's brand name would give it huge power to go to markets to raise cash. I think a subscription based model and member ownership, along the lines of the National Trust, is the way forward if it is to have a long-term future.

BBC is VERY popular brand in the USA.

Indeed, it is mainstay for PBS tv programming, with strong appeal to viewers with higher levels of income and education.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

Speaking of pained land pirates . . . AND high-priced real estate . . .

Seattle Times ($) - FTX engineering chief loses Orcas Island house in fraud case

A nearly 10-acre estate on Orcas Island is headed into government hands after a top engineer and associate of Sam Bankman-Fried at the collapsed cryptocurrency exchange FTX pleaded guilty to a six-count indictment, including wire fraud.

Former FTX engineering chief Nishad Singh bought the secluded property for $3.7 million in October, according to county property records.

Singh agreed to forfeit the property as part of his guilty plea, according to people familiar with the case. They spoke on the condition of anonymity because the forfeiture was redacted from court records.

The Orcas Island property includes a four-bedroom house and a two-bedroom guesthouse with “luxury amenities,” a 70-foot lap pool, hot tub, forests, gardens, ponds “and infinite privacy,” according to an online listing.

The property includes “magnificent marine and mountain views” including views of the San Juan Islands, Vancouver Island, the Olympic Mountains and Mount Rainier.

San Juan County, which includes Orcas Island, has some of the highest home prices in western Washington. The county’s median single-family home price was $960,000 in 2022, higher than King County’s median of $900,000.

Singh, 27, paid for the house with money from his personal FTX account. But the government believes the property is linked to his crimes in the case, in which prosecutors allege that customer funds at FTX were misappropriated by co-founder Bankman-Fried and his lieutenants.

Before FTX’s collapse, Singh reportedly lived with Bankman-Fried and others in a luxury penthouse in the Bahamas. It is unclear how much time, if any, Singh spent at the Orcas property since he bought it.

Singh has also agreed to forfeit an undisclosed amount of stock, prosecutors said in court last month. The assets subject to forfeiture were blacked out in a revised indictment filed in conjunction with his guilty plea. His lawyer declined to comment on the property forfeiture but, following the plea, said Singh “wants to do everything he can to make things right for victims.”

The plea marked the culmination of more than two months of talks with federal investigators in Manhattan about Singh’s exposure to an alleged fraud at FTX that has cost customers more than $8 billion.

Singh has agreed to cooperate with the government in the hope of receiving a lighter sentence. . . .
    SBF is like one of TSE’s stepmoms.
  • Options
    Not surprised to see the remaining Tory supporters on here - the nut jobs I call them - supporting curtailing free speech when it suits them. They are twats
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,325
    Stocky said:

The organisers of QT actually have difficulties getting enough Tories to fill the audience, even in Tory-leaning areas, as the sort of people more likely to want to give up an evening to travel to the location and listen to political debate tend not to be typical Tories.
  • Options

Taz said:

Roger said:

Someone needs to do one of those editing jobs on this to include Lineker, Attenborough and Braverman in the subtitles

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1634232693847097344
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,846
    edited March 2023

Pagan2 said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

felix said:

Indeed, it is mainstay for PBS tv programming, with strong appeal to viewers with higher levels of income and education.
    Yes PBS which is public broadcasting.....ask them to pay for it though and it judging by the uptake does not seem nearly so popular....anything can be reasonably popular if free but that says nothing about its actual fungibility
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/NadineDorries/status/1634257111570849801

Nadine there supporting the same policies they have in North Korea and China.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    Surely the only suitable person to replace Lineker with would be Alan Smith?

Wrighty had no chance anyway.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,529
    OllyT said:

Scott_xP said:

@henrymance

those BBC rules in full:
    - Attenborough can't broadcast a show about UK nature loss.
    - Lineker can't tweet criticising the government.
    - Alan Sugar *can* tweet criticising strikes.
    - The BBC chair *can* be a Tory donor who didn't disclose he facilitated a loan to Boris Johnson.

The current brand of Tories don't care about the hypocrisy anymore as long as they win. They are taking their lead from the GOP and Trump. I suppose we should be thankful Johnson only put his dad in the House of Lords instead of making him chair of the BBC.
    And their problem is that, right now, they're not winning. And that seems to be sending them bonkers.
  • Options

https://twitter.com/NadineDorries/status/1634257111570849801

Nadine there supporting the same policies they have in North Korea and China.

Come along. That's very far from right.
  • Options

Not surprised to see the remaining Tory supporters on here - the nut jobs I call them - supporting curtailing free speech when it suits them. They are twats

Did you predict a 30pt Lab lead incoming?

When?
  • Options
    edited March 2023

Really dumb thing for his daddy to do, on several levels.

For all his faults, Prince Phillip was WAY more impressive than ANY of his (acknowledged) spawn.

Making Fast Eddy the new Duke of Edinburgh, make him look (even) smaller than he was yesterday.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,734
    Andy_JS said:

Stocky said:

Last night's programme certainly wasn't Tory biased. It was from North London.
    Though they supposedly balance the audience.

What we are seeing is that while in 2019 that balance favoured the Tories, now it favours Labour. Quite right too if it is a representative sample, as that is what the polls show.
  • Options

When?
    By July
  • Options

Really dumb thing for his daddy to do, on several levels.

For all his faults, Prince Phillip was WAY more impressive than ANY of his (acknowledged) spawn.

Making Fast Eddy the new Duke of Edinburgh, make him look (even) smaller than he was yesterday.
    Er, not daddy, but brother. Though i had to take some time to work out who this chap Edward was and to look him up.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

When?
    By July, so we've got months of his repetitive drivel still to come.
  • Options
    ping said:

Roger said:

Out of interest, BJO - if you were asked the standard opinion polling question “if there was an election tomorrow, who would you vote for?” What would your response be?

Genuine question.

I respect your opinion as someone from the socialist/corbynite left. Also, to be blunt, your opinion is useful to me, for betting purposes.

I guess, the angle I’m interested in is - is the “stop the boats” stuff effectively uniting the left behind Starmer?
    Sorry, forgot to ping @bigjohnowls in my post.

Anyone else from the Socialist/Corbynite left so riled up by the small boats stuff that they’re now in the Starmer camp?

I wonder about the impact on the Greens/Lib dem polling, too. They have the political space for a cleaner, less politically nuanced moral position, but are they cutting through? I’ll be watching the VI closely.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,734

When?
    Not far off with this one today.

Westminster voting intention:

LAB: 50% (+5)
    CON: 26% (-)
    LDEM: 7% (-4)
    REF: 6% (-)
    GRN: 5% (-1)

via @Omnisis, 09 - 10 Mar

We are just 2 months away from some real elections. Let's see what happens then.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,518
    Chris said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

I pity the BBC.

It cannot win

At a guess, roughly like YouTube, Netflix, Amazon Prime, ITVX, FreeVee and about a hundred more.
    If the license fee is not universal to anyone watching anything, then it isn't the license fee.

The BBC fought very hard at the creation of digital TV to stop it being turned into a decryption key for an encrypted channels.

Did you know that the license fee, for TV, was going to use encryption, back when TV was introduced? Just that they couldn't create a decent system back then.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,858
    edited March 2023

It's all very well laughing at the BBC and its Tory chairman getting themselves in a pickle over Lineker but loads of Tories would quite happily see it fall apart anyway. It's those who value the BBC who should be most worried about this.

The BBC will be fine as it's a strong, global brand.

The issue is how it's funded, which is completely separate and as we've gone over on here many times, it's days being funded by telly tax are numbered... not because of Tories and the right wing press but because younger generations have so much choice now.

It's the younger generations that doom the licence fee not the old or the right particularly.
  • Options

Really intrigued to see if anyone else follows ian Wright refuses to go on tomorrow’s Match Of The Day out of solidarity.

Issue that has the potential to go through some real crossroads territory for the BBC.(not the 1970s Motel soap)
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,508
    I don't really care about Lineker. I'm not a MOTD watcher - he's likeable enough as a presenter. His half-witted political pronouncements on Twitter are faintly annoying but I don't find them a big deal.

That said, it's very disingenuous of left wing commenters (and commentators) to highlight the odd bit of right wing flotsam floating on the overwhelming left 'liberal' and growingly 'woke' consensus that holds sway within the BBC, to try and claim that there is equal bias, or even that the BBC favours the Tories. We all know this to be untrue - even people within the BBC like Andrew Marr have acknowledged the corporation's left wing bias. So don't try it, it is neither impressive nor interesting.

On the other side of the coin, it is a pretty crappy state of affairs that the best this lame Government can do to rally their flogged footsoldiers is pick some stupid confected fight with 'the Beeb'. If they were in any way concerned about the wholesale surrender of the cultural arena to the left, they would have done more about it before now than try to get Gary Lineker cancelled off MOTD. Pathetic shower.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

felix said:

Yes PBS which is public broadcasting.....ask them to pay for it though and it judging by the uptake does not seem nearly so popular....anything can be reasonably popular if free but that says nothing about its actual fungibility
    PBS relies mainly on DONATIONS, not government funding (which accounts for 15% or thereabouts) so many Americans ARE paying directly & personally for BBC programming.

And NOT just Americans. For example, Seattle's PBS affiliate gets a LOT of support from Canadians in Vancouver, Victoria and elsewhere in BC, who watch via cable or broadcast or web, and who are big fans in particular of BBC programs on PBS.

EDIT - of course this has zero to do with Pagan's point, which is focused on BBC in UK.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

felix said:

PBS relies mainly on DONATIONS, not government funding (which accounts for 15% or thereabouts) so many Americans ARE paying directly & personally for BBC programming.

And NOT just Americans. For example, Seattle's PBS affiliate gets a LOT of support from Canadians in Vancouver, Victoria and elsewhere in BC, who watch via cable or broadcast or web, and who are big fans in particular of BBC programs on PBS.
    That I did not know. Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.