Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Trump now an evens chance of winning the GOP WH2024 nomination – politicalbetting.com

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

I’ll be boycotting MOTD and hope the viewing figures crash . It’s pretty clear now that those in charge of the BBC are nothing but Tory lapdogs .

Labour and the Tories often moaned about the BBC in the past which showed it was doing its job and holding those in power to account .

We are living in dark times where liberal democracies have never been under more attack from the right wingers who think they have a divine right to rule and will dismantle the democratic foundations we treasure .

People will say it can’t happen in the UK but we are seeing a slow erosion of our democracy .

The Tories are a clear and present danger to our democracy and must be removed in 2024 before it’s too late .

Yes, I am sure MOTD figures will crash because most of its viewers always tuned in to hear Gary Lineker's views on the Sunak government, they couldn't care less about the football highlights it showed!
    You’re missing the point. The party you support - the one I’ve abandoned - has chosen to try and govern with shite unworkable policies, underlined by the culture war, because it has nothing left to give the public. Cutting HS2, raising taxes, underpaying key workers, increased levels of immigration despite promising the opposite. There’s nothing left - so why not stir the “Lineker” BBC pot
    Doesn't matter mate. HYUFD doesn't care about traditional supporters like you. He didn't give a toss when I told him my Dad - Tory voter of 40+ years - will now be voting Lib Dem.
    Anyway who isn't voting Conservative next time isn't a solid Tory, at most a Tory leaning swing voter even if they had voted Conservative in 2019.

Same as anyone who didn't vote Labour in 2019 wasn't a solid Labour supporter either, even if they had voted Labour in 2017 they were just a Labour leaning swing voter.
    40 years and voted Tory in every election. Not a real Tory, what the actual fuck mate
    One thing HYUFD has taught me is that no one is a real Tory apparently. I don't know how they have won so many elections on that basis.
  • Options

So, Sunak and Macron.

Which of them got lubed first? Because those two were heading for the bedroom surely https://news.sky.com/video/sunak-arrives-in-paris-for-macron-talks-12830230

You are better than that comment
    I'm really not. And the bromance between them was real. Some of the back rubbing was really over the top.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,179
    Richardr said:

As I've said, I'm against Lineker's sacking, but the march of the Tax-fiddle martyrs is taking a rather ridiculous turn.

They should just get Des Lynam back.

Des is 80.
    And ?
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

I’ll be boycotting MOTD and hope the viewing figures crash . It’s pretty clear now that those in charge of the BBC are nothing but Tory lapdogs .

Labour and the Tories often moaned about the BBC in the past which showed it was doing its job and holding those in power to account .

We are living in dark times where liberal democracies have never been under more attack from the right wingers who think they have a divine right to rule and will dismantle the democratic foundations we treasure .

People will say it can’t happen in the UK but we are seeing a slow erosion of our democracy .

The Tories are a clear and present danger to our democracy and must be removed in 2024 before it’s too late .

Yes, I am sure MOTD figures will crash because most of its viewers always tuned in to hear Gary Lineker's views on the Sunak government, they couldn't care less about the football highlights it showed!
    You’re missing the point. The party you support - the one I’ve abandoned - has chosen to try and govern with shite unworkable policies, underlined by the culture war, because it has nothing left to give the public. Cutting HS2, raising taxes, underpaying key workers, increased levels of immigration despite promising the opposite. There’s nothing left - so why not stir the “Lineker” BBC pot
    Doesn't matter mate. HYUFD doesn't care about traditional supporters like you. He didn't give a toss when I told him my Dad - Tory voter of 40+ years - will now be voting Lib Dem.
    Anyway who isn't voting Conservative next time isn't a solid Tory, at most a Tory leaning swing voter even if they had voted Conservative in 2019.

Same as anyone who didn't vote Labour in 2019 wasn't a solid Labour supporter either, even if they had voted Labour in 2017 they were just a Labour leaning swing voter.
    40 years and voted Tory in every election. Not a real Tory, what the actual fuck mate
    One thing HYUFD has taught me is that no one is a real Tory apparently. I don't know how they have won so many elections on that basis.
    Despite being probably to the right of hyufd I am proud he doesnt class me as a real tory
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,613
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

There aren’t many solid Tories, then.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    nico679 said:

MikeL said:

Senior former BBC and OFCOM Board member just interviewed on Radio 5 Live.

Said BBC had no choice - Lineker in clear breach of editorial guidelines which anyone can read (publicly available online) and yes guidelines do apply to Lineker even though not in News and a freelance (people in News have to follow even stricter guidelines).

Said BBC has had to speak to Lineker many times in the past and he carries on doing it and this time left with no option but to suspend him until agreement reached.

What are the guidelines for the Chairman of the BBC in terms of impartiality?
    During the New Labour years they were new labour people. Now they are Tory,people.

The problem is not the fact they are Tories the problem is it’s a political appointment.

Has the chairman breached the guidelines like Lineker has, frequently ?
  • Options

Mr. Tres, Antigonus Monopthalmus was over 80 when he fought at the Battle of Ipsus.

Present at the battle more likely perhaps?

Give me John of Bohemia any day. Not as old, certainly, but in the thick of fighting whilst blind (on reflection perhaps not a great idea).
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007
    edited March 2023

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

You do make extraordinary silly statements

Your 'solid Tory' is a core and if with your views a minority when it is far more than a core that is needed to win an election
    Yes and we have won 4 general elections in a row, in a democracy every party eventually runs out of steam and loses government at some point.

However the true, ideological party loyalists will still vote for it even when it loses power and is in opposition
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,978

nico679 said:

Shearer joins Wright in boycotting in Solidarity

Wonder which Scab will stand in.
    Douglas Ross knows something about football I believe?
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,821

So, Sunak and Macron.

Which of them got lubed first? Because those two were heading for the bedroom surely https://news.sky.com/video/sunak-arrives-in-paris-for-macron-talks-12830230

I'm really not. And the bromance between them was real. Some of the back rubbing was really over the top.
    Well Macron is handsome so can you blame Sunak ! This new friendship will implode once the Tories embark on taking the UK out of the ECHR.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779

nico679 said:

David Lammy could fit it in.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    edited March 2023
    Des Lynam actually trending on Twitter lol!

Edit: It shows what a good broadcaster Des was in his day given he retired from MotD nearly 25 years ago and people still remember him.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,003

nico679 said:

If the BBC don't blink, there might be alot of 'pundits' looking for work. It's just a shame that all the other channels showing footie will already have pundits.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,613
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

They don’t mean a thing if they ain’t got that swing.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,759
    Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Duke of Edinburgh my arse.

Really dumb thing for his daddy to do, on several levels.

For all his faults, Prince Phillip was WAY more impressive than ANY of his (acknowledged) spawn.

Making Fast Eddy the new Duke of Edinburgh, make him look (even) smaller than he was yesterday.
    What a load of rubbish.

Prince Edward and Sophie are the hardest working royals after the Princess Royal and the King and Queen Consort.

When the Duke of York and Sussexes stepped back as working royals they stepped up to do more of the work themselves and they are worthy recipients of the title, not least too as Prince Edward has taken over the D of E scheme from his father
    Your stuff about working to get a Dukedom doesn't make sense given that York and Sussex are keeping theirs without doing any work for it.

What with all the corporations being told to send their bosses to submit to KCIII, no doubt with expensive illuminated parchments, this is looking a very oddly modernised monarchy.
    The Sussexes and Yorks are not allowed to use their former HRH titles unlike the Edinburghs. In order of age the Duke of York would have become Duke of Edinburgh, instead this is an award from the King to Prince Edward to reflect his service as a working royal.

Ok I have to ask because I have been wondering...why do you believe most people give two fucks about what you are posting about the royal family. It is something of absolute indifference to most people, they really aren't that important to most
    He likes to have something to cringe to? He does go on about how good the old days were whern there were lords of the manor and almost everyone else was a serf working in the fields.
  • Options
    Can't the BBC appoint an impartial presenter like Nadine Dorries?
  • Options
    edited March 2023

Can't the BBC appoint an impartial presenter like Nadine Dorries?

Or Ruth Davidson? She used to work for them.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2022/jul/25/ofcom-finds-bbc-guilty-of-impartiality-breaches-over-ruth-davidson-interview

Though in her own case the Wiki page carefully points out that she only got interested in politics/the Tories after leaving the BBC.

"In 2009, after having left the BBC to study at the University of Glasgow, Davidson joined the Conservative Party. She said she was inspired by a call by David Cameron, the then Leader of the Opposition, in the wake of the United Kingdom parliamentary expenses scandal, for people to get involved in politics who had never previously been political. She was encouraged by the Scottish Conservative Party's Director of Media, Ramsay Jones,[12] to join the party and stand for the House of Commons seat of Glasgow North East at the 2009 by-election, which was triggered by the resignation of Labour MP and Speaker of the House, Michael Martin."
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

Your 'solid Tory' is a core and if with your views a minority when it is far more than a core that is needed to win an election
    Yes and we have won 4 general elections in a row, in a democracy every party eventually runs out of steam and loses government at some point.

However the true, ideological party loyalists will still vote for it even when it loses power and is in opposition
    Britain is not a democracy....because we have representative democracy but those representatives don't represent their constituents they represent their sponsoring party. Party loyalists are the twats that enabled this.....yes that is you.

Representative democracy only works if the mp elected actually does the best for their constituents whoever they voted for yet what we have is claimed to be representative democracy even though mp's will happily vote against their constituents interest because it is the party line whether labour, tory or lib dem etc....people like you are the problem
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

Probably about 25-30% of the population ie would vote Tory even in 1997 and now, similar 25-30% for Labour ie would vote Labour even in 1983 and 2019.

Another 25% Liberal Democrat, Green, RefUK and SNP/PC and NI parties and the final 25% will swing sometimes between parties at general elections
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    Tres said:

nico679 said:

MikeL said:

Said BBC had no choice - Lineker in clear breach of editorial guidelines which anyone can read (publicly available online) and yes guidelines do apply to Lineker even though not in News and a freelance (people in News have to follow even stricter guidelines).

Said BBC has had to speak to Lineker many times in the past and he carries on doing it and this time left with no option but to suspend him until agreement reached.

Guidelines read:
    a) Give PM 6 figure sum
    b) Do whatever the Tories want
    And yet, almost all of the BBCs output is left leaning. If the BBC top brass is infested with Tories they are particularly ineffectual ones.
  • Options

WTF is the world talking about Gary Lineker. Is there really nothing better to do?

I haven't seen the government's rhetoric on the boats issue. Gary thought it was a bit sinister. Honestly, who cares?

It's definitely been blown up way more than it should, but it hit that sweet spot of partisan outrage, football and the most talked about news event of the week. Because when you boil it down it is 'BBC enforces editorial guidelines on employee', which is not that exciting even if one feels the guidelines are stupid. Now it is all the way at 'Fascist govenment censors media!', which is probably not where they'd want to be right now.
  • Options

nico679 said:

If the BBC don't blink, there might be alot of 'pundits' looking for work. It's just a shame that all the other channels showing footie will already have pundits.
    There are many former football players who want to get a gig in the media.The BBC has made a decision on Lineker which is wrong in my view, but having made that decision it cannot be held to ransom by entitled presenters.
  • Options

So, Sunak and Macron.

I would have thought you would have welcomed the new friendly relationship with not just Macron but the EU

This is the first PM in 5 years who is actively cultivating ties with the EU and cooperation on not just the boats, but Ukraine' security, green issues, and trade through Macron EPC

Macron actually referred to the WF approvingly

There is a place for synisism but on this it is a positive move in the right direction
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    MikeL said:

Surely there are other people at the BBC who air political views in their own time? Or is there a difference between core staff and those employed by outside agencies?
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2023
    Cookie said:

Tres said:

nico679 said:

MikeL said:

Guidelines read:
    a) Give PM 6 figure sum
    And yet, almost all of the BBCs output is left leaning. If the BBC top brass is infested with Tories they are particularly ineffectual ones.
    As mentioned below, leftwing on identity and cultural issues, rightwing on economic and social ones, and arguably the centre won't hold if they move right on both.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

Britain is not a democracy....because we have representative democracy but those representatives don't represent their constituents they represent their sponsoring party. Party loyalists are the twats that enabled this.....yes that is you.

Representative democracy only works if the mp elected actually does the best for their constituents whoever they voted for yet what we have is claimed to be representative democracy even though mp's will happily vote against their constituents interest because it is the party line whether labour, tory or lib dem etc....people like you are the problem
    We are a representative not direct democracy yes. If we were a direct democracy we would have renationalised railways, the death penalty for serial killers, the navy removing migrants from the Channel and higher taxes on the rich and a big payrise for nurses and a fully elected upper house replacing the House of Lords (albeit Starmer might do some of the latter and Sunak is hardening the line on migrants)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

You and Corbyn have so much in common
  • Options
    edited March 2023

MikeL said:

Surely there are other people at the BBC who air political views in their own time? Or is there a difference between core staff and those employed by outside agencies?
    Mr Clarkson talked about shooting public sector strikers. But on checking, that was on the BBC ...

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/jeremy-clarkson-striking-public-sector-279839
  • Options
    edited March 2023

So, Sunak and Macron.

Not as much as Trudeau and Macron who actually kissed each other's cheeks
    https://www.newsweek.com/justin-trudeau-and-emmanuel-macron-reunite-paris-and-are-closest-friends-888885
  • Options
    Taz said:

nico679 said:

There are many former football players who want to get a gig in the media.The BBC has made a decision on Lineker which is wrong in my view, but having made that decision it cannot be held to ransom by entitled presenters.
    I reckon they fold. Get Lineker to say to all his mates he is only gone for one episode, get some fourth rate pundits in for that one, then back to normal with everyone learning their lessons.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,821
    Cookie said:

Tres said:

nico679 said:

MikeL said:

Guidelines read:
    a) Give PM 6 figure sum
    A lazy stereotype . This peddled by the Tories and their enablers .
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    HYUFD said:

So, Sunak and Macron.

Not as much as Trudeau and Macron who actually kissed each other
    https://www.newsweek.com/justin-trudeau-and-emmanuel-macron-reunite-paris-and-are-closest-friends-888885
    They are French culturally. If they were Maori, they'd noserub.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Is Gary Lineker a BBC contractor or employee? Ashing for HMRC.

• Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779
    Lineker etc. All a bit pointless. What's actually happening today that's important?

I decided to look futher afield.. and it turns out that there's something massively important happening.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/3/10/iran-and-saudi-agree-to-restore-relations

• Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,978
    kle4 said:

Taz said:

nico679 said:

I reckon they fold. Get Lineker to say to all his mates he is only gone for one episode, get some fourth rate pundits in for that one, then back to normal with everyone learning their lessons.
    Agreed. The alternative is to get Lawro back. And no-one wants that.
  • Options
    Taz said:

nico679 said:

MikeL said:

During the New Labour years they were new labour people. Now they are Tory,people.

The problem is not the fact they are Tories the problem is it’s a political appointment.

Other than being seriously dodgy on the arranging money front, probably not.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

We are a representative not direct democracy yes. If we were a direct democracy we would have renationalised railways, the death penalty for serial killers, the navy removing migrants from the Channel and higher taxes on the rich and a big payrise for nurses and a fully elected upper house replacing the House of Lords (albeit Starmer might do some of the latter and Sunak is hardening the line on migrants)
    No we arent a democracy at all because all mp's of all parties do not represent the people that voted them in they represent the party. You can all fuck off frankly as you are useless twats and need to be got rid of
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    nico679 said:

Cookie said:

Tres said:

nico679 said:

MikeL said:

Guidelines read:
    a) Give PM 6 figure sum
    A lazy stereotype . This peddled by the Tories and their enablers .
    Indeed. The 1980's BBC was social-democratic on issues like poverty, for instance. The current BBC is not.

It was also full of a mixture of interesting patricians and left-leaning playwrights and documentarists, whereas now its ethos is often a commercial lifestyle one, married to an emphasis on representational politics on the cultural front.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

Probably about 25-30% of the population ie would vote Tory even in 1997 and now, similar 25-30% for Labour ie would vote Labour even in 1983 and 2019.

Another 25% Liberal Democrat, Green, RefUK and SNP/PC and NI parties and the final 25% will swing sometimes between parties at general elections
    This is fair. The Conservative Party has won more than 30% of all votes cast at every General Election for its entire history, including 1997 (and the median age of the electorate has only crept up since then.) I'd be astonished if they were under a third of the popular vote next time round, and they'll probably do better than that because of their strength amongst the grey vote.

It's why, alongside the scale of the swing needed and the party's Scottish problem, I don't think Labour will win a majority, regardless of how crap the economy is and how desperate a large fraction of the population has become. If they leave the electoral system as it is - which they will - then there's a strong chance of Starmer only lasting a single term before normal service is resumed.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    And the Doberman wins the Working Dog category...
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

A contractor. As mandated by the BBC itself.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

This is fair. The Conservative Party has won more than 30% of all votes cast at every General Election for its entire history, including 1997.
    I genuinely think that might be under threat next time, though agree that is about their floor.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,255
    kle4 said:

Roger said:

Suella Braverman breaks the Ministerial code and is made Home Secretary a week later.

Meanwhile Johnson's fixer is made Chairman of the BBC and Lineker is sacked for showing a compassion most of us share

I think it was less than a week actually.

The BBC Chairman was dodgy as f*ck in his claim to have thought all was above board by just mentioning something to Case, and not disclosing it to the commitee. People who genuinely believe that whilst facilitating massive personal loans to powerful figures are dangerously stupid, and I just don't buy he could be that stupid, making it just dodgy.
    I don't if anyone heard Sharp on radio 4 when this stuff about him advising his friend on giving Johnson a loan came out - maybe it was world at one - but it was terrible. His defence was that as they were all friends and he was working in no 10 at the time it was all perfectly natural that they should scratch each others' backs and of course natural that he should be made BBC chairman. Sickeningly chummy. Should be sacked at first possible opportunity.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288

MikeL said:

He said a key issue was how prominent the person is on the BBC - ie how highly the public associate the person with the BBC.

And the answer is that Lineker is associated very, very, very highly with the BBC.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

A contractor. As mandated by the BBC itself.
    I bet no other 'contractors' have fallen foul of HMRC despite those contracting them claiming they are contractors. Not buying it until HMRC make a determination.
  • Options
    Only 2.7% of SVB deposits are under $250K, so insured by FDIC.

Ouch

https://twitter.com/grdecter/status/1634267470662979592?s=61&t=s0ae0IFncdLS1Dc7J0P_TQ
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197

Genuinely agree with everything Lineker said in his Tweet. Spoke the truth.

Me too

Ian Wright, Alex Scott, Alan Shearer possibly do too

Time to make a stand against the Fascists currently running the BBC

Put me down for anything except voting for SKS!!
    I know it's the wrong sport but is the UKIP supporting ghost of Peter Allis available?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Taz said:

nico679 said:

MikeL said:

How does that allegation relate to BBC guidelines ?
  • Options
    kamski said:

kle4 said:

Roger said:

Suella Braverman breaks the Ministerial code and is made Home Secretary a week later.

Meanwhile Johnson's fixer is made Chairman of the BBC and Lineker is sacked for showing a compassion most of us share

I think it was less than a week actually.

The BBC Chairman was dodgy as f*ck in his claim to have thought all was above board by just mentioning something to Case, and not disclosing it to the commitee. People who genuinely believe that whilst facilitating massive personal loans to powerful figures are dangerously stupid, and I just don't buy he could be that stupid, making it just dodgy.
    I don't if anyone heard Sharp on radio 4 when this stuff about him advising his friend on giving Johnson a loan came out - maybe it was world at one - but it was terrible. His defence was that as they were all friends and he was working in no 10 at the time it was all perfectly natural that they should scratch each others' backs and of course natural that he should be made BBC chairman. Sickeningly chummy. Should be sacked at first possible opportunity.
    I mean, how could you not do such a thing? Next thing you'll tell me a gentleman's handshake is not sufficient to gain a lucrative contract thesedays.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Taz said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

nico679 said:

MikeL said:

Probably doesn't, that's why I said probably not - he's unacceptable for reasons other than the guidelines about statements, by virtue of being borderline corrupt instead.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,227
    Rolf Harris is available.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860

MikeL said:

No just if their views are pro Tory and anti Socialist or not in which case its fine

See Alan Sugar Tweets re GE 2019 or Mick Lynch for example
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

No we arent a democracy at all because all mp's of all parties do not represent the people that voted them in they represent the party. You can all fuck off frankly as you are useless twats and need to be got rid of
    You can stand for and vote for Independents if you wish but even Independents will tend to be left of centre or right of centre to some degree
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Of course it's not long since the Qatar World Cup when the broadcasters, and particularly the BBC, were keen to point out just how important it was to raise awareness of political issues, of human rights issues, of equality issues etc.

That's the sort of territory you get into when you start making your sports programmes about stuff beyond the sport, so there's an element of sauce for the goose here I feel.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,580
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

So, Sunak and Macron.

Not as much as Trudeau and Macron who actually kissed each other
    They are French culturally. If they were Maori, they'd noserub.
    Trudeau is French culturally in a francophone environment. In an English-speaking milieu, he's an Anglo.
  • Options

This cancelled Attenborough documentary. Thats what you get when you investigate the Tees dredging disaster.

I know you don’t live down here anymore but it has been covered widely on the local news.

Both Beeb and ITV.

Something does not right right about this and the official story about it.

In the fullness of time I think ‘disaster’ will be the accepted term with this. I’d trust the locals over the govt story any time.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,855
    Evening all :)

As has been suggested, the polls may look all over the place currently but it's worth taking the fieldwork dates into account.

The Savanta poll which some Conservatives have seized with the enthusiasm of a drowning man for a lifebelt, is the better part of a week old. Does that make it "wrong"? I'd argue it shows the highpoint of the "small boats bounce" and not so much subsequent events.

The Greens got a very good number out of People Polling which may just explain the slippage in the Labour number though the combined Labour, LD and Green number sits at the fairly normal 60%.

Techne and Omnisis usually poll later in the week. Techne looks very little changed from last week - a 15% swing from the last election. Omnisis did its fieldwork yesterday and today and has reported a 24 point Labour lead with Labour five and the LDs down four but the Lab/LD/Green combined share unchanged at 62%.
  • Options
    Rylan is ALWAYS available. 24hrs a day, 7 days a week (or that's how it feels 😂 )
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. Omnium, to be fair, I did post that Saudi/Iran story a little earlier, though nobody commented...

Also, the bloody awful weather is rather more pressing. Between the rapid thaw and plunging temperatures, I'm somewhat worried about ice tomorrow.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    And a shout-out for the best of breed Pumi, entering the ring for the final of the Pastoral group. But I'd be surprised if it gets chosen.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    4 Polls added by Britain Elects today

Lab lead by 11,17,19,24 average 17.75

CHB "24 is almost 30" which he predicted was incoming

24, 19, 17 are close to 20 and 11 is close to 10
  • Options

I’ve said by July every time
  • Options
    stodge said:

As has been suggested, the polls may look all over the place currently but it's worth taking the fieldwork dates into account.

The Savanta poll which some Conservatives have seized with the enthusiasm of a drowning man for a lifebelt, is the better part of a week old. Does that make it "wrong"? I'd argue it shows the highpoint of the "small boats bounce" and not so much subsequent events.

The Greens got a very good number out of People Polling which may just explain the slippage in the Labour number though the combined Labour, LD and Green number sits at the fairly normal 60%.

Techne and Omnisis usually poll later in the week. Techne looks very little changed from last week - a 15% swing from the last election. Omnisis did its fieldwork yesterday and today and has reported a 24 point Labour lead with Labour five and the LDs down four but the Lab/LD/Green combined share unchanged at 62%.

Keep calm . . . and do NOT bet the farm!
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,227

Of course it's not long since the Qatar World Cup when the broadcasters, and particularly the BBC, were keen to point out just how important it was to raise awareness of political issues, of human rights issues, of equality issues etc.

That's the sort of territory you get into when you start making your sports programmes about stuff beyond the sport, so there's an element of sauce for the goose here I feel.

Nice to see a domestic issue that Alastair Campbell, Jeremy Clarkson and Piers Morgan all agree on.

Shameful stuff from the silent 'Free Speech Union'
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,003
    Tres said:

Stephen Fry. He'd attend the opening of a crisp packet if it involved getting on TV. ;)
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Taz said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

nico679 said:

MikeL said:

Probably doesn't, that's why I said probably not - he's unacceptable for reasons other than the guidelines about statements, by virtue of being borderline corrupt instead.
    The appointment of senior BBC staff which is in the gift of politicians should be taken out of the political arena.

When a new labour supporter like Greg Dyke got a senior role under new labour you can understand that as he’s a TV man. How they hell did John Birt get a gig there ?
  • Options
    Whilst BBC management must be hating all this the BBC news team must be having a good time - nothing they love more than reporting about the BBC, on the BBC.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,433
    GIN1138 said:

Des Lynam actually trending on Twitter lol!

Edit: It shows what a good broadcaster Des was in his day given he retired from MotD nearly 25 years ago and people still remember him.

There was something about him on BBC MOTD though. He never looked comfortable after his move to ITV.
  • Options

Thank you HYUFD.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Taz said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

nico679 said:

MikeL said:

The appointment of senior BBC staff which is in the gift of politicians should be taken out of the political arena.

When a new labour supporter like Greg Dyke got a senior role under new labour you can understand that as he’s a TV man. How they hell did John Birt get a gig there ?
    Appointed by Tory placeman Michael Checkland, who was in turn responsible for the exodus of people like Dennis Potter to Channel 4.

Checkland had, in turn, originally himself been appointed to counter the influence of Alasdair Milne, who the Tories thought was too lefty. Just a long catalogue, and history, of political appointments..
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

felix said:

Linekar steps down from motd. Where's my tiny violin when I need it?

Tories descend to Nazi-style censorship.
    Yes, it sort of proves his point.

I don't care one way or another but the double standards of the right wing press defending the right of free speech for Farage and Yaxley-Lennon, and cheering the fall of Lineker is a joyous irony.
    When Alan Sugar takes to Twitter to slag off Mick Lynch, that’s fine.

But when Gary Lineker tweets critically of government policy, that’s a breach of impartiality.

https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1634233104981213189?s=20
    One criticises our democratically elected government. The other… doesn’t.
    Good grief! Is criticising the democratically elected government verboten now?

What sort of a country have we become? What happened to free-speech?
    Perhaps explain's Leon's fondness for Ron DeSantis? Libertarian turned Oligarch, modeling his politik on Viktor Orban.
    The BBC is a state broadcaster. You don’t have that in America (perhaps wisely, who knows). I believe the BBC as we know it is doomed. Sadly. But if it is to survive it needs to be rigorously impartial in party politics. All employees (freelancers or otherwise) who provably gain the majority of their income from the BBC should be told, on pain of sacking, no political opinions on social media

And this should apply to left and right. To Sugar and Lineker. Just STFU as long as you work for the beeb
    The license fee needs to go, and ASAP.

As for the BBC it’s survival should depend on its ability to raise revenue without a license fee.
    The BBC's brand name would give it huge power to go to markets to raise cash. I think a subscription based model and member ownership, along the lines of the National Trust, is the way forward if it is to have a long-term future.

Britbox subs suggest its not nearly as popular a brand name as you think
    BBC is VERY popular brand in the USA.

Indeed, it is mainstay for PBS tv programming, with strong appeal to viewers with higher levels of income and education.
    Yes PBS which is public broadcasting.....ask them to pay for it though and it judging by the uptake does not seem nearly so popular....anything can be reasonably popular if free but that says nothing about its actual fungibility
    PBS relies mainly on DONATIONS, not government funding (which accounts for 15% or thereabouts) so many Americans ARE paying directly & personally for BBC programming.

And NOT just Americans. For example, Seattle's PBS affiliate gets a LOT of support from Canadians in Vancouver, Victoria and elsewhere in BC, who watch via cable or broadcast or web, and who are big fans in particular of BBC programs on PBS.

EDIT - of course this has zero to do with Pagan's point, which is focused on BBC in UK.
    You can watch PBS in the UK on Freeview channel 84, Freesat 155, SKY 174 among others.

https://www.pbsamerica.co.uk/
    Why would anyone want to?
    They do have some interesting stuff from time to time.
  • Options

Tres said:

Stephen Fry. He'd attend the opening of a crisp packet if it involved getting on TV. ;)
    Next time I enjoy some potato chips, would really appreciate having Stephen Fry PRESIDE over the opening!
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,433
    Omnium said:

Lineker etc. All a bit pointless. What's actually happening today that's important?

I decided to look futher afield.. and it turns out that there's something massively important happening.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/3/10/iran-and-saudi-agree-to-restore-relations

Wow, good find. That's one hell of a bizarre turn of events.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,945

Genuinely agree with everything Lineker said in his Tweet. Spoke the truth.

Nah. What Lineker said was twatish and stupid - as usual for him. More importantly it undermines the serious and overwhelming arguments against what Braverman and Sunak are trying to do. There are far better ways to oppose them than stooping to Godwin's Law.

But Lineker has an absolute right to be twatish and stupid. He is not interviewing politicians, not presenting editorials for the Today programme and not making any attempt to say he reflects the views of the current affairs teams at the BBC. He is stating a personal opinion and using his celebrity status as a means of advancing causes he believes in. I may disagree with him on many things but personally I say good luck to him.

The BBC is completely wrong both morally and tactically to suspend/sack him.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,442
    stodge said:

Striking thing is how stable the polls have been the last few months, since Hunt's November budget, really.

Little wobbles up and down, but the Wikiworm hasn't really moved from C26 L47 all that time.

686 days until the next election (max) and falling.
  • Options
    Taz said:

This cancelled Attenborough documentary. Thats what you get when you investigate the Tees dredging disaster.

I know you don’t live down here anymore but it has been covered widely on the local news.

Both Beeb and ITV.

Something does not right right about this and the official story about it.

In the fullness of time I think ‘disaster’ will be the accepted term with this. I’d trust the locals over the govt story any time.
    I am following it closely. Don't know what is the bigger scandal - the dredging and cover-up, or the finances related to Teesworks...
  • Options
    Driver said:

MikeL said:

Then the guidelines are stupid.

He presents football, why do his political views even matter?
    Because pissing off half your audience is a really stupid idea.
    But the right are allowed to do that.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,114
    Tres said:

If only Jimmy Saville were still with us. He was a committed Tory so would have been ideal.
  • Options

This thread has been taken off air

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641
    Taz said:

nico679 said:

I won't be watching Scab of the Day on Saturday.

Not least because my team is total shite at the moment, and will save Potters bacon for another week. I don't think it is likely that I will want to watch it twice.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995
    Cookie said:

Tres said:

nico679 said:

MikeL said:

Guidelines read:
    a) Give PM 6 figure sum
    Almost all the BBC's output has no lean, left, right, up or down.

Their soccer coverage - why not start there? - doesn't contain any political message, as far as I'm aware.

And their most viewed programs from 2022 - Peaky Blinders, The Tourist, The World Cup, SAS Rogue Heroes and The Responder - don't seem to be particularly left leaning.

Now, you might make the case that their natural history programmes have an environmental bias, and that many of their presenters of political programmes have left liberal leanings. (Albeit Andrew Neil and Roy Liddle seem to have been the other way inclined.)

I'm reminded of the famous journalism study by Reuters in Israel/Palestine. They pulled together a news report on a violence in Gaza. Israeli students overwhelmingly saw the piece as pro-Palestinian, and gave dozens of reasons why. Palestinian students overwhelmingly saw it is as pro-Israel, with equal numbers of reasons.

Because it turns out we don't really want impartiality. We want to watch current affairs that reinforces our existing prejudices.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited March 2023
    kle4 said:

Whilst BBC management must be hating all this the BBC news team must be having a good time - nothing they love more than reporting about the BBC, on the BBC.

One thing we can all agree on:

It is the weirdest of weird organisations.
  • Options

MikeL said:

Then the guidelines are stupid.

He presents football, why do his political views even matter?
    The BBC face of Saturday night, Sir Jimmy Savile used to attend events with Mrs Thatcher, no political bias to see there then.
  • Options
    edited March 2023

Tres said:

If only Jimmy Saville were still with us. He was a committed Tory so would have been ideal.
    No, Saville went with the winner and was a classic swing voter, he was a regular at Chequers with the Blairs as he was with the Thatchers, he backed whoever was in power to help keep his establishment status
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2487217/Jimmy-Savile-harassed-music-boss-wife-Chequers-dinner-party-hosted-Tony-Blair.html
  • Options

**** with Ben Houchen and you're toast. National treasure or otherwise.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,336
    Omnium said:

I notice that the screenshots say "Al Jazeera is funded in whole or in part by thr Qatari government." Is this placed there by them, as an acknowledgement of "thanks to our sponsor" or a truth-in-advertising measure, and if so why don't they know if it's in whole or in part? Or is it some sort of warning that they have to show when broadcasting in the UK?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,855
    I commented last evening Lineker's initial tweet was intemperate but that's now being matched by the response.

Are we to believe Lineker is such an influential figure his every utterance is of cosmic import? I don't think so either.

After nearly 14 years in Government, you have to expect a little criticism and negative comment - the notion of popular acclaim and rose petals strewn where'er a Minister strides is fanciful in extremis.

The other side is the extent to which Lineker, as a BBC employee, is bound by the charter of the Corporation. Does a individual, posting from their own Twitter account, speak for the organisation for whom they work?

That leads to the question of whether the BBC should be neutral or impartial and there's a big difference between the two. Neutrality is more about saying nothing - impartiality is showing both sides of an argument and allowing the viewer/listener to make up their own mind.

I don't want to be told what to think by any news organisation - indeed, as soon as a news outlet says they are "fair and balanced" I assume the very opposite is the case. I'm happy to hear the arguments from both sides and indeed all sides - the role of the investigator is to ask the difficult questions, probe the weaknesses and uncover the fallacies in the argument. That's what I want the BBC to do (because Sky, GB News and Talk TV won't).

Asking questions about the legislation, asking questions about the £500 million we are handing over to France to help them stop the boats - that's how democracy works and that's how political decisions should be questioned.

Lineker is irrelevant to this - he's a football pundit. A more self-confident Government would ignore his views - a more self-confident BBC would ignore the calls of Government supporters and treat it as an internal matter. The fact both have seen fit to respond as they have speaks volumes.

• Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,045
    Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Duke of Edinburgh my arse.

Really dumb thing for his daddy to do, on several levels.

For all his faults, Prince Phillip was WAY more impressive than ANY of his (acknowledged) spawn.

Making Fast Eddy the new Duke of Edinburgh, make him look (even) smaller than he was yesterday.
    What a load of rubbish.

Prince Edward and Sophie are the hardest working royals after the Princess Royal and the King and Queen Consort.

When the Duke of York and Sussexes stepped back as working royals they stepped up to do more of the work themselves and they are worthy recipients of the title, not least too as Prince Edward has taken over the D of E scheme from his father
    Your stuff about working to get a Dukedom doesn't make sense given that York and Sussex are keeping theirs without doing any work for it.

What with all the corporations being told to send their bosses to submit to KCIII, no doubt with expensive illuminated parchments, this is looking a very oddly modernised monarchy.
    The Sussexes and Yorks are not allowed to use their former HRH titles unlike the Edinburghs. In order of age the Duke of York would have become Duke of Edinburgh, instead this is an award from the King to Prince Edward to reflect his service as a working royal.

Ok I have to ask because I have been wondering...why do you believe most people give two fucks about what you are posting about the royal family. It is something of absolute indifference to most people, they really aren't that important to most
    He likes to have something to cringe to? He does go on about how good the old days were whern there were lords of the manor and almost everyone else was a serf working in the fields.
    It’s a nice thing to do. Philip and the late Queen wanted it to go to Edward.

Real world significance: approximately zero*

(* I’m assuming there will be some orders for new stationary etc. so there is at least some real world impact)
  • Options
    Taz said:

Taz said:

Roger said:

This government can fuck off.

I can't believe that we're not on the streets with pitchforks making it happen

Lineker has not been sacked, rogerdamus.

Under new labour they had their own fixers running the Beeb. Get annoyed at the system not the side you don’t agree with.

If you seriously think people should be in the streets with pitchforks over the BBC governship and Lineker you’re deluded.
    It was never quite like this during New Labour. Lineker's likely dismissal in itself is neither here nor there, but under the surface we have a Putineque Party ownership of our national broadcaster.
    Ŵould you say the same about Clarksons dismissal from his TV gigs for a newspaper column ?

Lineker will not be dismissed. I have no doubt about it.
    No I wouldn't ask for anyone to be cancelled, but Clarkson wasn't dismissed for his political views at the BBC he smacked an assistant producer for not getting him his dinner.

Lewis Goodall was suggesting Sky have hinted Lineker's absense isn't just for Saturday it's forever
This discussion has been closed.