Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

New poll has LAB on course to win ALL 40 red wall Tory seats – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,280

DavidL said:

FWIW I think Forbes's attack on Humza's record in Govt was a mistake. After all, this is a Govt of which she, like him. is a Cab Sec. Also amounts to an attack on Sturgeon. Even the Editor of the National, commenting just now, thought it unbalanced.

I think that she burnt her bridges with Sturgeon a while ago. That is a major part of the attraction. And Useless is every bit as vulnerable on his record as she is on her religious beliefs, arguably more so.
    Mebbes. I'm no expert but I'm not sure that SNP members are quite so ready to put the boot into Nicola. Up until a few weeks ago she was the messiah.
    I think a reasonably strong candidate with Nicola's backing would have walked it. But she has Useless.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,776
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Will deportation flights solve the boats crisis?

The govt sent 15 people back to Albania today who’d come over on boats

45,000 people came to the UK on boats last year

The current plan is weekly flights

At that rate it’d take 3,000 trips to clear backlog

Taking 57 years

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1633218846378143744

Ummm: if it discourages a certain proportion of people, it will have done its job.

With that said, France was no one's first point of call in Europe either, and I doubt we'd object if asylum seekers self deported from the UK to Ireland or France.
    Could we deport them all to scotland they are always saying they need immigrants
    If its to Scotland it's not deportation.
    It will be after the referendum
    But even before that instead of Rwanda....lets just say all boat people are welcome but they will have to live in wick
    Are you saying they get on your Wick?
    Wick is a great town and my wife has family there and spent time there in the war

Only ever been there once, after riding the Far Northern Line. Didn't see anything to especially dislike, or anything that ran in my head as remarkable.
    You probably blinked and missed the world’s shortest street - and it’s the entrance to a pub!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebenezer_Place,_Wick
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,432

ydoethur said:

Taz said:

WillG said:

Pagan2 said:

We settled on 'Stop The Boats' as a slogan for our policy, because cruel, impractical, illegal, deceitful, xenophobic gaslighting wasn't as catchy.
    #ToryGaslighting

It's vile.
    It is.

Are HM Opposition in favour or against?
    Stevie (useless) Kinnock was on PM. He's against the small boats and the crims. He wants an arrangement with Francais, and staging posts in France where they can apply for asylum, a clamp down on the crims and a legal route for genuine asylum seekers. He said stopping the boats before the legal route was putting the cart before the horse. It seemed quite reasonable to me.

The BBC had an Aussie on to back the Government line and he said it might work as it did in Aussie but you also need a legal means for asylum seekers to arrive to claim asylum.

Let's face it Cruella was on manouvres today and her ultimate aim as PM is to remove us from the Churchillian ECHR. Anyway should she become PM and she dreams of sending leftie Remainer traitors to Rwanda, I'll volunteer. It's got to be no worse than living in Rwanda than her lawless dystopian totalitarian state. At least the sun shines.
    What does he think the masses declined on the legal route are going to do? Oh let me guess they are going to get on a boat. It's only a solution if you intend to take everyone that applies and that isn't going to happen even under a labour government
    Yeah,. A ferry from Calais

Today we saw a Conservative Party that would have made Enoch Powell and Peter Griffiths polish their racism with pride.
    Ah, the old favourite the left loves. When you run put of arguments just screaming racism. Even more laughable when we have an ethnic minority Tory PM, after Labour have yet another white male at the top.
    We also have record levels of inward net migration.

Which no one bats an eyelid at.

Mind you I’ve learnt that not building houses is racist today. Every days a school day.
    You have raised this a couple of times now Taz, and it’s an interesting point. The Tories are conflating two separate things into one - uncontrolled immigration via channel boats, where at least least some of the people may be genuine asylum seekers not given many other options to claim asylum here by UK government other than that dangerous crossing, conflated with immigration and feelings and issues with that par se.

For example, let’s looks at some of these Express and Mail front pages - uncontrolled immigration is one key issue which can place clear sharp difference between government and Keir Starmer.

Hence the hammering of the asylum laws and obligations to be tough on “uncontrolled immigration” Immigration under this government meanwhile

Net migration for the UK in the year ending June 2022
    This was estimated to be at 504,000, an increase of 331,000 compared with the YE June 2021 (173,000). This was driven by net migration of non-EU nationals, at 509,000 in the YE June 2022, an increase of 352,000 compared with YE June 2021.

Apart from you pointing this out, I don’t think anyone else here or in media is pointing up this conflating difference.
    So step 1 has worked.

We won't know the actual impact of this policy until we've seen some opinion polling, of course.
    Sorry that was last Sunday’s Mail.

This is tonight’s. The first traitor unmasked and given a proper kickin like?

There’s never any wine left in the bottle to keep in the door ☺️
    Not leading on the brilliance of the plan, though.
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,157
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

FWIW I think Forbes's attack on Humza's record in Govt was a mistake. After all, this is a Govt of which she, like him. is a Cab Sec. Also amounts to an attack on Sturgeon. Even the Editor of the National, commenting just now, thought it unbalanced.

I think that she burnt her bridges with Sturgeon a while ago. That is a major part of the attraction. And Useless is every bit as vulnerable on his record as she is on her religious beliefs, arguably more so.
    Mebbes. I'm no expert but I'm not sure that SNP members are quite so ready to put the boot into Nicola. Up until a few weeks ago she was the messiah.
    I think a reasonably strong candidate with Nicola's backing would have walked it. But she has Useless.
    Robertson would have won comfortably.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,988
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Can you think of a reasonably strong candidate that would have had Nicola’s backing? Angus Robertson?
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,440
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Did the Tory leadership election get as brutal as this?

SNP Cab Sec for Finance to SNP Cab Sec for Health:

"When you were Transport Minister, the trains were never on time.

"When you were Justice Minister the police were strained to breaking point and now as Health Minister we have record high waiting times.

"What makes you think you can do a better job as First Minister?"
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Can you think of a reasonably strong candidate that would have had Nicola’s backing? Angus Robertson?
    He has his own baggage as @malcolmg likes to point out but he would surely have walked this field.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,231

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

"When you were Justice Minister the police were strained to breaking point and now as Health Minister we have record high waiting times.

Bloody hell.

Has she actually not thought through the implications of saying that?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I don't recall it being quite that brutal, though Sunak attempted to get all 'tough' and overcorrected into just rude.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

So the love in is over then? Shame.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,340
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Bloody hell.

I thought it was all Westminster’s fault….?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Bloody hell.

Who knows? Here's the clip. Seeing is believing.

https://twitter.com/JohnWDWhite/status/1633224023063625732
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,418

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Bloody hell.

Very well done.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Bloody hell.

I wonder if Anas Sarwar has picked himself up off the floor yet.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Bloody hell.

It is refreshingly direct. Usually I'd expect something like to be presented the way journalists do when they want to express an opinion but know they are not supposed to, so go 'Some people say when you were transport secretary' or some such line.

Go this direct and it does get a bit ridiculous later on when you give them full throated support, like those Republicans who said Trump was terrible until he won. We'll never know how Sunak might have played it longer term with Truss, as he himself kept quiet during her time in office, and he never got that direct in criticising her in the contest I think (he did criticise her plans, but not her so directly IIRC).
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Bloody hell.

The prospects of either of them being in the other's cabinet have receded markedly. An incredibly weak government (Nicola apart) is about to get a whole lot worse.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,609
    kle4 said:

AndyJS will approve of this message

I note that an enormous amount of modern political scandals wouldn't have happened if people used their phones to actually talk to each other.

https://twitter.com/Baddiel/status/1633057306337333249?cxt=HHwWgsC-ofi95KktAAAA

Maybe they would have used their laptops instead.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Bloody hell.

The prospects of either of them being in the other's cabinet have receded markedly. An incredibly weak government (Nicola apart) is about to get a whole lot worse.
    Well, that's part of it.

But she's just dumped all over her own party's record in government. Without apparently pausing to consider what that might lead to.

Labour's posters are just going to be her face and that list next to it.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS will approve of this message

I note that an enormous amount of modern political scandals wouldn't have happened if people used their phones to actually talk to each other.

https://twitter.com/Baddiel/status/1633057306337333249?cxt=HHwWgsC-ofi95KktAAAA

Maybe they would have used their laptops instead.
    Not as convenient, so the number would still decrease. Not likely to load up the laptop to share an inappropriate joke that just occurred to you.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,445

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Taking 57 years

Ummm: if it discourages a certain proportion of people, it will have done its job.

With that said, France was no one's first point of call in Europe either, and I doubt we'd object if asylum seekers self deported from the UK to Ireland or France.
    Could we deport them all to scotland they are always saying they need immigrants
    But even before that instead of Rwanda....lets just say all boat people are welcome but they will have to live in wick
    Wick is a great town and my wife has family there and spent time there in the war

Only ever been there once, after riding the Far Northern Line. Didn't see anything to especially dislike, or anything that ran in my head as remarkable.
    I've been to Wick and Thurso. Both were good.
    [swaggering] So have I :)
    Me too.

It's possibly more remarkable to find someone who has been to one but not the other. After all, if you were in Thurso, why not make the trip to Wick? And vice versa.

A colleague of mine got to go on a work trip to Wick. A project about the feasibility of getting an enormous turbine blade up a windy lane. She emigrated to Australia soon after.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Bloody hell.

I wonder if Anas Sarwar has picked himself up off the floor yet.
    You'd like to think he was taking notes. But maybe that is optimistic. Maybe Jackie Baillie can explain it to him.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

ydoethur said:

Taz said:

WillG said:

Pagan2 said:

We settled on 'Stop The Boats' as a slogan for our policy, because cruel, impractical, illegal, deceitful, xenophobic gaslighting wasn't as catchy.
    #ToryGaslighting

It's vile.
    It is.

Stevie (useless) Kinnock was on PM. He's against the small boats and the crims. He wants an arrangement with Francais, and staging posts in France where they can apply for asylum, a clamp down on the crims and a legal route for genuine asylum seekers. He said stopping the boats before the legal route was putting the cart before the horse. It seemed quite reasonable to me.

The BBC had an Aussie on to back the Government line and he said it might work as it did in Aussie but you also need a legal means for asylum seekers to arrive to claim asylum.

Let's face it Cruella was on manouvres today and her ultimate aim as PM is to remove us from the Churchillian ECHR. Anyway should she become PM and she dreams of sending leftie Remainer traitors to Rwanda, I'll volunteer. It's got to be no worse than living in Rwanda than her lawless dystopian totalitarian state. At least the sun shines.
    What does he think the masses declined on the legal route are going to do? Oh let me guess they are going to get on a boat. It's only a solution if you intend to take everyone that applies and that isn't going to happen even under a labour government

Today we saw a Conservative Party that would have made Enoch Powell and Peter Griffiths polish their racism with pride.
    Ah, the old favourite the left loves. When you run put of arguments just screaming racism. Even more laughable when we have an ethnic minority Tory PM, after Labour have yet another white male at the top.

Mind you I’ve learnt that not building houses is racist today. Every days a school day.
    You have raised this a couple of times now Taz, and it’s an interesting point. The Tories are conflating two separate things into one - uncontrolled immigration via channel boats, where at least least some of the people may be genuine asylum seekers not given many other options to claim asylum here by UK government other than that dangerous crossing, conflated with immigration and feelings and issues with that par se.

For example, let’s looks at some of these Express and Mail front pages - uncontrolled immigration is one key issue which can place clear sharp difference between government and Keir Starmer.

Hence the hammering of the asylum laws and obligations to be tough on “uncontrolled immigration” Immigration under this government meanwhile

This was estimated to be at 504,000, an increase of 331,000 compared with the YE June 2021 (173,000). This was driven by net migration of non-EU nationals, at 509,000 in the YE June 2022, an increase of 352,000 compared with YE June 2021.

Apart from you pointing this out, I don’t think anyone else here or in media is pointing up this conflating difference.
    So step 1 has worked.

We won't know the actual impact of this policy until we've seen some opinion polling, of course.

Yes. Tory press clearly more mooted now than before the announcement.

And picking on drippy Gary, that’s like picking on the one with biggest ears in school playground.

In other news on the papers, star has bought an acre of Jupiter. Is there any bit of Jupiter actually solid?

And worrying about Inflation is back?

I can see the UK stocks crashing after the next budget.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    edited March 2023
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Bloody hell.

I'm not even entirely sure how Regan continues to be in the same government as Humza.

Realistically, she's not going to win. He may well do. If he does and keeps the continuity-Sturgeon vibe going, does nothing meaningful on independence, makes ever closer ties with the Greens and continues the GRR push, what's she going to do, stay inside and fight from within? I find it hard to believe, her whole pitch is that the SNP's lost it's way - Humza winning would basically change none of the trajectory of that.

I could envisage her leading a small delegation of SNP MSPs defections to be the first Alba MSP, but maybe that's just crazy talk.
  • Options

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Bloody hell.

I'm not even entirely sure how Regan continues to be in the same government as Humza.

Realistically, she's not going to win. He may well do. If he does and keeps the continuity-Sturgeon vibe going, does nothing meaningful on independence, makes ever closer ties with the Greens and continues the GRR push, what's she going to do, stay inside and fight from within? I find it hard to believe, her whole pitch is that the SNP's lost it's way - Humza winning would basically change none of the trajectory of that.

I could envisage her leading a small delegate of SNP MSPs defections to be the first Alba MSP, but maybe that's just crazy talk.
    If Alba had had at least some previous level of success to make it an appealing prospect maybe?
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,157
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Bloody hell.

Well, that's part of it.

But she's just dumped all over her own party's record in government. Without apparently pausing to consider what that might lead to.

Perhaps SKS should offer her a knighthood once he's in No10? Her leadership campaign is certainly aiding his chances of having a working majority, that's for sure.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Taking 57 years

Me too.

It's possibly more remarkable to find someone who has been to one but not the other. After all, if you were in Thurso, why not make the trip to Wick? And vice versa.

A colleague of mine got to go on a work trip to Wick. A project about the feasibility of getting an enormous turbine blade up a windy lane. She emigrated to Australia soon after.
    I've been to Wick a couple of times but never bothered to go to Thurso. Seen one windswept, bleached hovel, seen them all.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Taking 57 years

Wick has the world's shortest street. Apparently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebenezer_Place,_Wick
    I note that the previous holder of the record was in Bacup. Which is another compellingly bleak little town.

I have been to both Wick and Bacup. (I think I have been to most of the bleak little towns in the North of England.) I think that can only be beaten if some pber has been to both of these and also Newent.

The bleakest town in England I have been to is Cleator Moor. When I went it was on its 55th consecutive day of rain.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleator_Moor
  • Options
    It would be interesting to know how well Humza responded to the Forbes line - unexpected though it might be from a party colleague it has to be one he has a prepared line for due to the opposition raising it.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Bloody hell.

Well, that's part of it.

On Twitter both ScotLab and ScotCons claiming the SNP hustings as Party Political Broadcasts on their own behalfs.

Suggests it wasn't optimal for the Nats.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Taking 57 years

Me too.

I've been to Wick a couple of times but never bothered to go to Thurso. Seen one windswept, bleached hovel, seen them all.
    I quite liked Thurso, actually.

I felt compelled to visit both as both were destinations on my favourite childhood board game 'Great Game of Britain'. In which I have virtually been to Thurso literally hundreds of times. "You are tired of the crowds. Go to Thurso and stay there for two turns."
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    Who could replace Simon Case? Tom Scholar perhaps?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Taz said:

WillG said:

Pagan2 said:

#ToryGaslighting

It's vile.
    It is.

So step 1 has worked.

Yes. Tory press clearly more mooted now than before the announcement.

And picking on drippy Gary, that’s like picking on the one with biggest ears in school playground.

In other news on the papers, star has bought an acre of Jupiter. Is there any bit of Jupiter actually solid?

And worrying about Inflation is back?

I can see the UK stocks crashing after the next budget.
    Telegraph already attacking/discrediting the covid enquiry. How utterly predictable. 😆
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,981
    I note that the usual suspects from the PB Tory Loyalist division are rubbing their hands with glee over Braverman’s latest grubby little culture war.

Sure, some of the public are dim enough to fall for it. I hope most others will remember who has been in power for 13 years.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    edited March 2023

The Telegraph's Lockdown files pages are impressive:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/lockdown-files/

I had not read that Matt Hancock wanted to threaten to cancel a Centre for kids with disabilities being built in someone's constituency if they opposed lockdown. What a prick. I don't have a subscription so I don't know the name of the MP.

Hancock comes out of this terribly and I expect the enquiry will be unforgiving on his role
    He is just the first of many. Sounds like Case being lined up next. The Telegraph have a gold mine here.
    Either Hancock has been wreckless. Or else he has been Machiavellian, in taking out a huge tranche of those who are now going down with him.

Machiavellian takes some believing, but....once those WhatsApps were made available outside the group of members....
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Taking 57 years

Me too.

That's harsh, but if you weren't smitten by Wick you'd be unlikely to love Thurso. Certainly, I prefer Wick of the two.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,803
    Where are the legal routes for people to use to request asylum ? The new policy is simply shutting the door to genuine refugees.

And now apparently we’re all traitors and betraying the UK if we don’t agree with the new policy. The Tories have nothing to offer this country but hate and division .
  • Options
    "Keir Starmer would drop cabinet secretary Simon Case – Labour sources
    Labour leader seen as likely to appoint new head of civil service on becoming PM after Partygate and leaked WhatsApps"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/mar/07/keir-starmer-would-drop-cabinet-secretary-simon-case-labour-sources
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    This will be interesting to watch.
    Though it’s also likely get quite ugly with regard to the necessary raising of the debt limit, as there are plenty of Republicans in Congress who believe this nonsense is possible.

McCarthy’s chief of staff has told colleagues his office is now in a nearly impossible bind, having vowed to advance a budget that eradicates the deficit in a decade without touching Medicare & Social Security or increasing taxes
    https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1632955594037403648

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Keir Starmer would drop cabinet secretary Simon Case – Labour sources
    Labour leader seen as likely to appoint new head of civil service on becoming PM after Partygate and leaked WhatsApps"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/mar/07/keir-starmer-would-drop-cabinet-secretary-simon-case-labour-sources

So what role is he going to offer him in his inner circle?
  • Options

DavidL said:

Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Taking 57 years

Me too.

That's harsh, but if you weren't smitten by Wick you'd be unlikely to love Thurso. Certainly, I prefer Wick of the two.
    Not so much smitten as smited. Wind absolutely incessant. Actually exhausting. Rain mainly horizontal. Visibility didn't reach beyond the harbour wall. Either time. And the Sheriff was completely barking as well.
  • Options

Who could replace Simon Case? Tom Scholar perhaps?

Lord Mandelson from Labour to secure the Sue Gray transfer and tighten up the Government at the back.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Taking 57 years

Not behind a 37 though!
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995
    Eabhal said:

Dura Ace teaching one to drive in a Porsche.

Taking the oldest one to the Nurburgring in May as she now has a passport that works. Scheduled equipment: Mk.4 GTi 1.8T 20v.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Where are the legal routes for people to use to request asylum ? The new policy is simply shutting the door to genuine refugees.

And now apparently we’re all traitors and betraying the UK if we don’t agree with the new policy. The Tories have nothing to offer this country but hate and division .

And Labour has nothing to offer by way of answers.

How about setting up a legal route for people to request asylum at Calais? Or any British Embassy? Let's see how many Albanians bother to go through proper channels, rather than the English Channel.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Eabhal said:

Dura Ace teaching one to drive in a Porsche.

Taking the oldest one to the Nurburgring in May as she now has a passport that works. Scheduled equipment: Mk.4 GTi 1.8T 20v.
    Went round the Nurburgring with my dad years ago, videoing us going round. When we lined up for the second lap someone told us we weren't allowed to do that, seeming to think it was our first run through, so we just said that's fine sir and put the camera in the boot.
  • Options

The thing is - no one trust the Tories to solve anything. The small boats thing today is another indicator of how they’ve lost their minds - pushing forward on something that looks dubious in terms of legality. Which is a shame after the common sense of the Windsor framework

From this poll.

My take is this is a rather poor poll for Labour, 6% chunk knocked off the lead since the last one.

7% only on economy doesn’t look too good for Labour either.

We have to remember, losing 6% of lead now and only 7% ahead on economy, we are still north country miles away from a general election.

We used to think of these seats as Labour heartlands, loyal to Labour even through the Thatcher landslides of the eighties? Why then are Tories doing so well there this week, against all these headwinds?
    I stopped reading at 'my take'
    That’s a shame as I raised some interesting points.

Why talk up a poll where the gap has closed so much since the last one?

Why, in this situation, are Labour not further ahead on economy?

Why, considering some of the worst headwinds any UK government have had to endure since the 70’s, is the Tory position clearly not worsening, in fact just recently seems to be advancing, such as in this poll?

I can tap out and not offer my “honest unspun take” if Admins don’t like them.
    Well you've never done that before, predicting the Tories are advancing.
    Not for a while no, I prefer seeing sequences of polls, and judge month by month before pointing to movemrnt like that, as it’s more secure movement measured from more data.

But I’m sticking to my guns, Tonight's R&W Red Wall poll is actually surprisingly better for the Conservatives for once, so your pro Labour ramping of it is a bit of an odd take.

If we want to be really deep on this, I think it’s looking like red wall voters may be a different kettle of fish from normal election swingers. This parliament terms local council elections, and to extent by-elections, has given Labour mixed results on winning them back, particularly midlands branch of red wall, less so Wales branch of red wall. As a betting tip, Labour might put on 100 seats at next election, but find a few of these Red Wall areas not coming back in the end. And it might be Red Wall hold outs deny them the majority. That’s what I take from tonight’s poll, which is obviously very different than yours.
    Pro Labour ramping by me? WTF are you on about?

I've consistently written thread headers saying I don't think Labour will win a majority at the next election.
    I’m sorry TSE.

I’ll tap out and leave you alone.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,934
    nico679 said:

But that buys then X% in the elections. Which is the main thing. Are you some sort of traitor?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    As well as visiting Wick and Thurso by train, I have also flown into Wick Airport on a work trip. I then collected a hire car, which had been delivered from Inverness.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586

I had not read that Matt Hancock wanted to threaten to cancel a Centre for kids with disabilities being built in someone's constituency if they opposed lockdown. What a prick. I don't have a subscription so I don't know the name of the MP.

Hancock comes out of this terribly and I expect the enquiry will be unforgiving on his role
    He is just the first of many. Sounds like Case being lined up next. The Telegraph have a gold mine here.
    Anyone else somewhat troubled by the Telegraph getting to choose from the leak which stories to push, and which to suppress ?

• Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,934

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Bloody hell.

I could envisage her leading a small delegation of SNP MSPs defections to be the first Alba MSP, but maybe that's just crazy talk.
    Regan can't win - full stop. Forbes might win with the membership, but who is going to serve in her cabinet? Especially given they are avowed to a gender neutral cabinet? So that leaves Yousef who may well be a little rubbish (given a hard act to follow), but can keep the show on the road. In some form at least.

It's not exactly a great outcome from the SNP/indy point of view - but given the real of the next indyref being 5-10 years away at best - might be .. for the best. Give some currently anonymous figures the chance to make their voices heard.
  • Options

One of the Bury MPs.
    The one who didn't defect to Labour long since.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Anyone else somewhat troubled by the Telegraph getting to choose from the leak which stories to push, and which to suppress ?

Less troubled than I was by the government choosing which evidence to publish and which to suppress.

The approach by the government to lockdowns is in my view the biggest political scandal of my lifetime. And it is being largely treated with a weary shrug, because the most of the opposition and most of the journalistic class were cheering them on.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    You can be the most ardent Brexiteer you want but impossible not to see the power of this image. From Tbilisi.

https://twitter.com/intermarium24/status/1633204209477664768
  • Options

nico679 said:

How about setting up a legal route for people to request asylum at Calais? Or any British Embassy? Let's see how many Albanians bother to go through proper channels, rather than the English Channel.
    Lots, if it was a swift and credible process. No one wants to risk the channel needlessly.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Interesting fact:

Only 10 members of the House of Lords have been there longer than Peter Bottomley has been a member of the Commons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_members_of_the_House_of_Lords
  • Options

You can be the most ardent Brexiteer you want but impossible not to see the power of this image. From Tiblisi.

Says everything about the rejoiner mentality. Any image with the EU flag and you immediately jump to the referendum and want to pick a fight with everyone else about it. You don’t actually care about this poor woman or her cause at all.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Nigelb said:

Less troubled than I was by the government choosing which evidence to publish and which to suppress.

The approach by the government to lockdowns is in my view the biggest political scandal of my lifetime. And it is being largely treated with a weary shrug, because the most of the opposition and most of the journalistic class were cheering them on.
    And because pretty much every advanced economy on the planet did the same thing and in the end no Government could have done anything else?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995

Taz said:

I see that Charles was booed again today on a visit to Colchester

Seems it is becoming a regular occurance and not one the late Queen experienced

Attitudes to the monarchy changing ?

Public anger over his treatment of Harry and Meghan. Possibly.
    I was told the focus groups have reacted very badly about kicking out the Sussexes and giving their place to the friend of the nonces.

Also - the country not keen on the adulteress Camilla being designated Queen rather than Queen Consort.
    Oh really? Those would be the same polls which today have the King on +27% and Harry on -22% and Meghan on -33%
    https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1633105355797323777?s=20
  • Options
    biggles said:

You can be the most ardent Brexiteer you want but impossible not to see the power of this image. From Tiblisi.

Says everything about the rejoiner mentality. Any image with the EU flag and you immediately jump to the referendum and want to pick a fight with everyone else about it. You don’t actually care about this poor woman or her cause at all.
    Eh. Who mentioned rejoining? If you've followed my posts on here I'm very much in the accept Brexit category and spend much more time calling out Russian bullying in eastern Europe.
  • Options

You can be the most ardent Brexiteer you want but impossible not to see the power of this image. From Tbilisi.

What is the Russian Foreign Agent law that the Georgian government are enacting? I thought the Georgian government were quite anti-Russia currently?

Yes, a powerful image.
    I'm no fan of the EU. But obviously if it was a choice between the EU and domination by Russia I'd choose the former 100 times out of 100.
  • Options

biggles said:

Eh. Who mentioned rejoining? If you've followed my posts on here I'm very much in the accept Brexit category and spend much more time calling out Russian bullying in eastern Europe.
    Oh, so why mention Brexit in your post at all? No one else did. All I see is a brave woman waving a flag that has meaning for her. Yo uh immediately wanted to mention Brexit and the past.
  • Options
    biggles said:

nico679 said:

Lots, if it was a swift and credible process. No one wants to risk the channel needlessly.
    There's no "swift and credible process" for Albanaian economic migrants. How credulous are you to think the vast majority are "escaping persecution"?

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Taz said:

Public anger over his treatment of Harry and Meghan. Possibly.
    I was told the focus groups have reacted very badly about kicking out the Sussexes and giving their place to the friend of the nonces.

Also - the country not keen on the adulteress Camilla being designated Queen rather than Queen Consort.
    Oh really? Those would be the same polls which today have the King on +27% and Harry on -22% and Meghan on -33%
    https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1633105355797323777?s=20
    Agree - it’s an extreme minority who are trying to seize on the Andrew thing and make some noise, then being amplified by other republicans. It will blow over but those on Twitter and the like will get overexcited for a while.
  • Options
    kjh said:

@hyufd You refer to my views on Grammar schools on the last thread as lefty liberal crap. As you well know I am not a 'lefty'. As you also know I am far more in favour of the free market than you, which makes me closer to the Tories than you on many issues. You often come over with some real socialist stuff. You might also like to consider why so many Conservative Governments since Comprehensives were brought in have done nothing about removing them and why Conservative control councils like Surrey implemented the Comprehensive system and have kept it ever since. They rely on evidence.

Only Conservatives who want to take us back to 1950 or Victorian times are in favour of the Grammars. Modern Conservatives like David Johnson, MP for Wantage, who has written on the subject and whom I know a little, are very anti Grammars.

Or as usual are these not real Tories?

Being a Tory has little to do with being a free market liberal, indeed in the 19th century the Liberals were more free market than the Tories. Even if the Conservatives are more pro free market than Labour.

Conserative governments jolly well should allow more grammars to expand if local parents want them. Indeed a plurality of all voters as well as Conservative voters would like more grammars to be built.
    https://yougov.co.uk/topics/education/trackers/how-the-government-should-handle-grammar-school-selection

I couldn't care less what David Johnson thinks, he is a Heathite leftist. You can now only ballot to close new grammars not open new ones, that has to change and we Conservatives must be ready to fight liberals like you who would deny parental choice and just impose comprehensives for all
  • Options
    kjh said:

kjh said:

@hyufd You refer to my views on Grammar schools on the last thread as lefty liberal crap. As you well know I am not a 'lefty'. As you also know I am far more in favour of the free market than you, which makes me closer to the Tories than you on many issues. You often come over with some real socialist stuff. You might also like to consider why so many Conservative Governments since Comprehensives were brought in have done nothing about removing them and why Conservative control councils like Surrey implemented the Comprehensive system and have kept it ever since. They rely on evidence.

Only Conservatives who want to take us back to 1950 or Victorian times are in favour of the Grammars. Modern Conservatives like David Johnson, MP for Wantage, who has written on the subject and whom I know a little, are very anti Grammars.

Or as usual are these not real Tories?

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-social-mobility-case-against-grammar-schools/
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/working-class-pupils-do-better-at-grammars-phzzhwtj6vp
  • Options

biggles said:

nico679 said:

There's no "swift and credible process" for Albanaian economic migrants. How credulous are you to think the vast majority are "escaping persecution"?

In reverse:

I don’t.

There isn’t but there could be.

We need those people and recognising that would kill the market in small boat trips dead.

Those of use who believe in treating refugees humanely also, I find, are the ones who can count and realise we need economic migrants too in large numbers. Hence we recognise the need for large scale processing in all sorts of places to get the economic migrants in almost as fast as the refugees
  • Options

I know you are an ex New Labour voting, increasingly republican non Tory BigG. However please show some respect to our King, anointed by God!
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Nigelb said:

And the public were cheering them on too.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    HYUFD said:

I know you are an ex New Labour voting, increasingly republican non Tory BigG. However please show some respect to our King, anointed by God!
    Not under our constitution he isn’t. His family was anointed by Parliament!
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,803

nico679 said:

So I missed that in the new policy proposal ! This latest gimmick is designed to pick a fight with the courts and campaign to pull the UK out of the ECHR . You could see some of the Tory backbenchers just salivating at the UK being in the wonderful company of Russia and Belarus . What an utter disgrace this government has become .
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    MikeL said:

"Kylie Minogue REFUSES offer to star at King Charles' Coronation concert because of growing Republican sentiment in Australia"

May seem a small thing but lots of little pointers of how the wind is blowing.

A few loud protestors can basically ruin a royal event. Police tried to remove protestors in the summer but seem to have now accepted they can't do that.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11820127/Kylie-Minogue-REFUSES-offer-star-King-Charles-Coronation-concert.html

Rather rude and disrespectful of Kylie and a republic in Australia is no done deal
    https://www.roymorgan.com/findings/a-resounding-majority-of-australians-want-to-retain-the-monarchy-rather-than-become-a-republic

Albanese anyway has to get his referendum on an Indigenous Voice in the Australian Parliament later this year through first and that is no definite done deal either, 38-42% opposed in the latest polling
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigenous_Voice_to_Parliament
  • Options
    biggles said:

HYUFD said:

And at the coronation he will also be anointed by God, including with oil which was formally consecrated by the Patriarch of Jerusalem at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre and will be used by the Archbishop of Canterbury in the ceremony
    https://www.royal.uk/consecration-coronation-oil
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,418
    HYUFD said:

MikeL said:

"Kylie Minogue REFUSES offer to star at King Charles' Coronation concert because of growing Republican sentiment in Australia"

May seem a small thing but lots of little pointers of how the wind is blowing.

A few loud protestors can basically ruin a royal event. Police tried to remove protestors in the summer but seem to have now accepted they can't do that.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11820127/Kylie-Minogue-REFUSES-offer-star-King-Charles-Coronation-concert.html

Rather rude and disrespectful of Kylie and a republic in Australia is no done deal
    https://www.roymorgan.com/findings/a-resounding-majority-of-australians-want-to-retain-the-monarchy-rather-than-become-a-republic

Albanese anyway has to get his referendum on an Indigenous Voice in the Australian Parliament later this year through first and that is no definite done deal either, 38-42% opposed in the latest polling
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigenous_Voice_to_Parliament
    Perhaps we can get Dannii instead!
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,288
    HYUFD said:

Unelected King, Unelected God!
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited March 2023
    Just seen the sky news clip of Charles “getting booed” in Colchester.

Turns out it’s a small crowd, with nobody obviously dissenting - and one guy with a microphone, off camera, yelling the standard anti-monarchist script.

That does not a republican majority make.

I rather rushed to judgment with my previous post. The public either buy the post-QE media bullshit, or don’t care.

The media polishing has worked. For now.
  • Options
    edited March 2023

HYUFD said:

Unelected King, Unelected God!
    It turns out the King was heckled in Colchester by the ghastly anti monarchy pressure group Republic, not by ordinary members of the public anyway.

BigG should have got his facts straight before posting!
    https://metro.co.uk/2023/03/07/charles-and-camilla-heckled-by-anti-monarchists-during-colchester-trip-18399153/?ito=socialmetrouktwitter
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,097
    HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

And at the coronation he will also be anointed by God, including with oil which was formally consecrated by the Patriarch of Jerusalem at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre and will be used by the Archbishop of Canterbury in the ceremony
    So he will be anointed by the Archbishop then, not God...
  • Options
    nico679 said:

nico679 said:

So I missed that in the new policy proposal ! This latest gimmick is designed to pick a fight with the courts and campaign to pull the UK out of the ECHR . You could see some of the Tory backbenchers just salivating at the UK being in the wonderful company of Russia and Belarus . What an utter disgrace this government has become .
    That's like saying supporting animal rights puts you in the company of Hitler.
  • Options
    WillG said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

By God through the Archbishop
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,576
    Bad Wimpfen ist Heẞen!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

WillG said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

By God through the Archbishop
    You are just making that up.
  • Options

The EU has in my view many serious defects, not least of which is the deficiencies in its democracy, but it stands, still, if slightly battered by recent events in Poland etc, as a bastion of the rule of law, free internal trade, mutual support and a good standard of living. The difference between the performance of the parts of the former Soviet empire that have been able to join it and those who haven't are very marked indeed so her beliefs are entirely understandable.
This discussion has been closed.