Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

New poll has LAB on course to win ALL 40 red wall Tory seats – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,708
    Nigelb said:

Pagan2 said:

I see that Charles was booed again today on a visit to Colchester

Seems it is becoming a regular occurance and not one the late Queen experienced

Attitudes to the monarchy changing ?

No just a lot of people think Charles is a bit of an arse
    Raises the question of why God chose a bit of an arse to be our King?
    TBF, He has considerable form in that respect.
    Does better with Queens but only get them occassionally.....
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844
    edited March 2023
    DavidL said:

Foxy said:

1. I’ve been having a look at the bill. Not going to be able to put together anything coherent tonight. It’s a terrible piece of legislation that denies refugees their rights under the Refugee Convention. But a law in the UK cannot magically invent somewhere to remove people to.

2. So we’ll likely end up with tens of thousands of people who are refugees but whose claims cannot legally be assessed and who cannot work, who have to live on minimal state support in hotels. For ever.

3. If it doesn’t actually deter all arrivals — and it won’t — then it looks completely unsustainable. The government is going to create a new, huge, ever-growing asylum backlog. Honestly, I think it’s absolutely nuts.

https://twitter.com/ColinYeo1/status/1633179664100339713

Clearly designed to be illegal and pass on the blame to the courts.
    Yes, the whole purpose is performative cruelty so as to create outrage at "Leftie North London Lawyers". It is designed to fail.

I'm actually struggling to get wound up by it all because it is so transparently performative and designed only to create dividing lines that most people will just dismiss it.

Less than two years to go as well.

It seems that the government plan at the next election will be to promise to leave the ECHR and to ask voters to trust Suella Braverman with their human rights!

As I have been saying the last couple of days leaving the ECHR is the logical conclusion if we want to deny refugee status to those who have travelled through safe countries. I probably wouldn't be in favour (depends on what replaces it), but it could be a legitimate part of an attempt to solve the problem.

Whereas making these endless new illegal laws is just cynical theatre at the expense of refugees, our courts and our voters.
    It is not the ECHR we would need to leave for this to work. It is the 1951 Convention on Refugees that we helped write. This bill, as set out today is incompatible with several parts of that. It is very probably incompatible with the 1948 UN Convention on Human Rights, Article 14 of which specifically provides for the right of a refugee to seek asylum in another country.

Of course the UN is a lot less an attractive target than the ECHR and a lot more embarrassing. Could we really hold onto our Security Council seat if we withdraw from them?

As I have said before the current rights of refugees to seek asylum are simply not sustainable and eventually we will have to address this. But I don't think being at the front of the queue for this is a great plan. Or even a vote winner.
    The way I look at it is countries are like lifeboats, each has so many resources, water, food etc. At somepoint each lifeboat has to say hey we cant take anymore because if we do the chance of the lifeboat getting to a safe shore is too low. The uk already has water shortages with the population we have for example
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,719
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

On the subject of Charles and William, my understanding is that William is going to come out as non-binary, will henceforth be known as "they", is changing their name to Will.We.Are and will be neither King nor Queen, but Monarch.

So.

Monarch Will.We.Are I here we come.

He should have gone all the way and been queen william and king kate
    I've seen the photos of Catherine, so know that there's no way she'll be "King".
    Get with the modern world! It's only a matter of self ID to become king.
    Not so modern, quite a few people in history have declared themselves to be king because they felt like they were one. Not so many managed to succeed in getting others to agree of course. What are modern self ID proponents but mini Henry IV's?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,588
    Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Taz said:

Just now

RMT suspend all strikes with Network rail

Hopefully this is the start of the end to the railway strikes

It does feel like the beginning of the end of the large scale industrial action.

The rail strikes don’t really seem to have had the impact expected ahead of them either.
    If anything, longer it’s gone on, the more it kicks into next year, the higher Union demands should be for both years, not lower, otherwise a sign that they are losing. Firefighters settled short of par - 7% not remotely replacing what they have lost in recent years. And signing in advance 5% for April 23 to April 24 without knowing how much more of gain or a cut that might actually be.

I would also like to know, as unions made such a play it’s not all about pay, it’s about conditions, working practices and investment, especially the rail unions, so when there is a settlement just what did they settle on regarding conditions, contracts working practices and investment. Or was it really all about pay?

Has there been enough media coverage of the actual details in the offers and settlements?
    No sign of talks for the junior doctors strikes next week. Incidentally the Consultants consultative ballot was heavily for striking too, if no progress on our negotiations.
    May backfire many will think hey that means I wont get treated by a junior doctor so will get a senior one
    Nah, let the medical students have a crack at treating them, and yes that is the plan for next week (not at my hospital as far as I know).

https://twitter.com/ShaunLintern/status/1631670607350837252?t=2oHgJLhRdRREki5Krqjd9LYuvugiOSQV-1zsw0Z3jvA&s=19
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Taz said:

Just now

It does feel like the beginning of the end of the large scale industrial action.

The rail strikes don’t really seem to have had the impact expected ahead of them either.
    If anything, longer it’s gone on, the more it kicks into next year, the higher Union demands should be for both years, not lower, otherwise a sign that they are losing. Firefighters settled short of par - 7% not remotely replacing what they have lost in recent years. And signing in advance 5% for April 23 to April 24 without knowing how much more of gain or a cut that might actually be.

I would also like to know, as unions made such a play it’s not all about pay, it’s about conditions, working practices and investment, especially the rail unions, so when there is a settlement just what did they settle on regarding conditions, contracts working practices and investment. Or was it really all about pay?

Has there been enough media coverage of the actual details in the offers and settlements?
    No sign of talks for the junior doctors strikes next week. Incidentally the Consultants consultative ballot was heavily for striking too, if no progress on our negotiations.
    May backfire many will think hey that means I wont get treated by a junior doctor so will get a senior one
    Nah, let the medical students have a crack at treating them, and yes that is the plan for next week (not at my hospital as far as I know).

https://twitter.com/ShaunLintern/status/1631670607350837252?t=2oHgJLhRdRREki5Krqjd9LYuvugiOSQV-1zsw0Z3jvA&s=19
    Last few times I got stitched up was by a vet
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,212
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Fire up the bagpipes!

It's the official Scotch Nationalist First Secretary Election Stooshie.

Yousaf goes on Trans

Forbes (glances at Yousaf) does not accept mediocrity

Regan MORAL MANDATE
    Trans? I mean FFS. All the issues facing the Scottish government and Yousaf thinks he should focus on trans?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Taz said:

Just now

Are we speaking medically or financially?
  • Options
    WestieWestie Posts: 426
    edited March 2023
    Foxy said:

Are we allowed to choose second person pronouns as well as third person ones? Mine is "you to whom I hereby promise to pay £10 million pounds".

I once got awfully told off for saying that my pronoun was "horse". Seems that in those xenogenderphobic times I was just ahead of the game.
  • Options
    Ash Regan is a liar politician, caught telling another massive porkie.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Taz said:

Just now

Are we speaking medically or financially?
    medically she disliked me doing it myself as my stitches were more utilitarian
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,390
    DavidL said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Fire up the bagpipes!

Yousaf goes on Trans

Regan MORAL MANDATE
    Trans? I mean FFS. All the issues facing the Scottish government and Yousaf thinks he should focus on trans?
    Trying to shore up the trans vote is one hell of a defensive strategy...
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    DavidL said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Fire up the bagpipes!

Yousaf goes on Trans

Regan MORAL MANDATE
    He thinks that it sets him apart as being the only one willing to stand up to Westminster. He's not necessarily wrong, it's just picking entirely the wrong thing to do so. He's a few sandwiches short of a picnic on that one.
  • Options
    Will deportation flights solve the boats crisis?

The govt sent 15 people back to Albania today who’d come over on boats

45,000 people came to the UK on boats last year

The current plan is weekly flights

At that rate it’d take 3,000 trips to clear backlog

Taking 57 years

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1633218846378143744
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    edited March 2023

John Redwood not a fan of Rishi's deal:

Now more of the detail is coming out about the Northern Ireland talks, it shows us more matters need to be clarified in writing and sorted out in the Joint Committee before accepting any changes to the legal position.

The EU spokesman has told MEPs according to briefings that the ECJ will have an important role and substantial amounts of EU law will apply to Northern Ireland. He also pointed out the Stormont brake would rarely be able to work. It seems the green lane would still be subject to EU checks and to possible EU interruption to the flow of goods. That is why I have asked the government to show us a list of the EU laws that will apply to Northern Ireland from day one of any new agreements. I have asked how many VAT and Excise rules will still constrain our tax policies, and want to know more about what information and form filling people will need to supply to allow green lane trade. It appears that EU plant and animal husbandry rules will apply. We also need to know in what circumstances the EU could suspend or modify green lane trade.

It is most important to get this right. The rest of the UK does not want to find it needs to align with the EU over tax and regulations, any more than Unionists in Northern Ireland wish to find their laws and taxes in part come from the EU where they have no vote or voice. The UK fully accepts the need to avoid a border between NI and the Republic, but also needs to avoid a border between GB and NI. Any new arrangement at the very least needs a unilateral exit route for the UK should the terms prove onerous. It remains to be seen if the Unionist parties find it acceptable so that they can rejoin the Stormont Assembly, one of the original aims of the talks.

https://johnredwoodsdiary.com/2023/03/07/the-government-needs-to-ask-for-substantial-improvements-to-the-northern-ireland-deal/

The point I have bolded is, to me, the crux of the matter. The deal may not be great shakes itself, but any easing of intra-UK trade is to be welcomed - however, only if the agreement can be terminated freely by both parties. Otherwise, the Windsor Framework will have the binding status of an international treaty on the UK, but the EU will be able to suspend its commitments under the agreement whenever it wants to. That's not something any responsible Government would put its name to.
    The deal is the deal and will go through though the DUP may prevaricate over Stormont
    It’s okay Big G. I have taken a screen grab of you predicting this will be in place by Easter. Your get out obviously is, you didn’t mention which year.

My take, there’s obviously going to be a counter proposal - clear red lines to renegotiate - from DUP and ERG. As LuckyGuy has said, surely we need an option to terminate? What LuckyGuy and Redwood may have missed is the EU do. They can close the green lane in an instant, without any consultation or agreement, throwing the border back into the Irish Sea. We have surrendered that without having same option ourselves. It’s also true that EU can add new laws and regulations on NI the politicians there cannot block, because there is no real brake or Veto.

You may dismiss these red lines as not bothering yourself, but you must surely concede for many conservative and unionists, these are genuine fears and issues about how balanced the proposal is, and how workable overtime?
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

1. I’ve been having a look at the bill. Not going to be able to put together anything coherent tonight. It’s a terrible piece of legislation that denies refugees their rights under the Refugee Convention. But a law in the UK cannot magically invent somewhere to remove people to.

2. So we’ll likely end up with tens of thousands of people who are refugees but whose claims cannot legally be assessed and who cannot work, who have to live on minimal state support in hotels. For ever.

3. If it doesn’t actually deter all arrivals — and it won’t — then it looks completely unsustainable. The government is going to create a new, huge, ever-growing asylum backlog. Honestly, I think it’s absolutely nuts.

Yes, the whole purpose is performative cruelty so as to create outrage at "Leftie North London Lawyers". It is designed to fail.

I'm actually struggling to get wound up by it all because it is so transparently performative and designed only to create dividing lines that most people will just dismiss it.

It seems that the government plan at the next election will be to promise to leave the ECHR and to ask voters to trust Suella Braverman with their human rights!

As I have been saying the last couple of days leaving the ECHR is the logical conclusion if we want to deny refugee status to those who have travelled through safe countries. I probably wouldn't be in favour (depends on what replaces it), but it could be a legitimate part of an attempt to solve the problem.

Whereas making these endless new illegal laws is just cynical theatre at the expense of refugees, our courts and our voters.
    It is not the ECHR we would need to leave for this to work. It is the 1951 Convention on Refugees that we helped write. This bill, as set out today is incompatible with several parts of that. It is very probably incompatible with the 1948 UN Convention on Human Rights, Article 14 of which specifically provides for the right of a refugee to seek asylum in another country.

Of course the UN is a lot less an attractive target than the ECHR and a lot more embarrassing. Could we really hold onto our Security Council seat if we withdraw from them?

As I have said before the current rights of refugees to seek asylum are simply not sustainable and eventually we will have to address this. But I don't think being at the front of the queue for this is a great plan. Or even a vote winner.
    The way I look at it is countries are like lifeboats, each has so many resources, water, food etc. At somepoint each lifeboat has to say hey we cant take anymore because if we do the chance of the lifeboat getting to a safe shore is too low. The uk already has water shortages with the population we have for example
    To be fair, we also have 'water shortages' (better termed 'water restrictions' - there is no shortage of the ***king stuff), because the EU forbade new water infrastructure, preferring water alarmism, with the eager assent of our own agencies. The zeal of the latter has sadly not been quenched by leaving the organisation (at least to my knowledge).
  • Options

DavidL said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Fire up the bagpipes!

Yousaf goes on Trans

Regan MORAL MANDATE
    He thinks that it sets him apart as being the only one willing to stand up to Westminster. He's not necessarily wrong, it's just picking entirely the wrong thing to do so. He's a few sandwiches short of a picnic on that one.
    Well not just on that one, sadly.
  • Options

Taking 57 years

This government never was much good at maths.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,304

ping said:

I mean lol and whut?

When Theresa May is the liberal, you know the tories are in the gutter.
    It basically tells me this policy was written on the hoof.

It reminds me of the time management consultants were hired and their strategy boiled down to advertising

'Become victims of fraud and this bank will protect you all the way, so you'll love being a repeat victim of fraud.'
    This was not made on the hoof. Rishi has been working on it for months.

This is well planned and calculated. Step one is to rally the core Tory press (job done) and provoke the Libs. Shift the dial onto his terrain.

Next is to own legislative agenda and process and force Labour to make mistakes.

They absolutely won't be able to help themselves.

• Options
    edited March 2023

DavidL said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Fire up the bagpipes!

Yousaf goes on Trans

Regan MORAL MANDATE
    Given it sailed through the parliament, I'd assume it would simply be part of a 'don't rock the boat and give in to external opponents' strategy. I know polling on the matter is different, but even so.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

On the subject of Charles and William, my understanding is that William is going to come out as non-binary, will henceforth be known as "they", is changing their name to Will.We.Are and will be neither King nor Queen, but Monarch.

So.

I've seen the photos of Catherine, so know that there's no way she'll be "King".
    Not so modern, quite a few people in history have declared themselves to be king because they felt like they were one. Not so many managed to succeed in getting others to agree of course. What are modern self ID proponents but mini Henry IV's?
    I have decided to identify from now on as Lord High Grand Supreme Ruler of the Universe.

The correct pronouns are 'Mightiness/Mighty One.'

(Incidentally wouldn't Richard III be a better example?)
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

To be fair, we also have 'water shortages' (better termed 'water restrictions' - there is no shortage of the ***king stuff), because the EU forbade new water infrastructure, preferring water alarmism, with the eager assent of our own agencies. The zeal of the latter has sadly not been quenched by leaving the organisation (at least to my knowledge).
    Yes we could catch more but neither labour not tory not even the lib dems or MRLP are suggesting that
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

So.

I have decided to identify from now on as Lord High Grand Supreme Ruler of the Universe.

I wanted to give the child murderer a break, ragged on him a lot lately.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,951

Taking 57 years

Ummm: if it discourages a certain proportion of people, it will have done its job.

With that said, France was no one's first point of call in Europe either, and I doubt we'd object if asylum seekers self deported from the UK to Ireland or France.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Taking 57 years

Ummm: if it discourages a certain proportion of people, it will have done its job.

With that said, France was no one's first point of call in Europe either, and I doubt we'd object if asylum seekers self deported from the UK to Ireland or France.
    Could we deport them all to scotland they are always saying they need immigrants
  • Options
    WestieWestie Posts: 426
    Barnesian said:

eek said:

dixiedean said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

Driver said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

https://news.sky.com/story/rishi-sunaks-small-boats-plan-to-push-boundaries-of-international-law-12827674

How the fuck is this going to work? How are these people supposed to claim asylum when they are no safe, legal routes to do so???

I think that's the point. They can't. The idea is to stop the flow completely.
    A year ago we were told that the mere threat of Rwanda would stop the boats, yet here we are again. It is just performative cruelty as policy.

At the same time we are fast tracking asylum claims from places thought to be legitimate:

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/government-fast-track-asylum-seekers/
    The latter policy (fast track) is sensible. People from countries like Afghanistan, Syria, South Sudan, Eritrea and the like will almost inevitably succeed in their asylum claims so why clog up the system with them? Conversely, claims from the likes of Albania have very poor prospects and should again be brought to a swift conclusion with action taken on removal.
    Why should they succeed, though?

Are we obliged to take in anyone from any really poor/crap country who makes it to our shores. There are hundreds of millions of such people.

On this I think the fundamentals of the question hinge.
    We cannot house all our own people. Sooner or later the "We are full up" sign will have to go up.
    But why can't we house everyone?

It's not lack of land and it's not lack of money to buy bricks or pay builders.

It's just that we don't want to build stuff. And that works less well as an excuse.
    This.

The policy of not building houses to match population is institutionally racist, incidentally.
    Everything is racist if you can find an excuse for it to be so. Its more likely to be racist against the wwc.
    The main issue is probably old vs. young. Older WWC people who bought their council houses under Maggie are sitting relatively prettily.

Does the UK's racial mix look different for young and old people?
    I think that the intersection of age and racial demographics are an underappreciated source of some of the political dynamics in this country. In a lot of ways the defining difference between Baby Boomers and Millenials or Gen Z is how racially diverse the latter groups are compared to the former. I think this helps to explain the lack of understanding, perhaps even lack of empathy, between the generations. It probably helps to account for the intensified political polarisation by age for one thing, as well as the politics of housing.
    Since race is not a very polarising political issue in this country (unlike America) I still think its housing, not race, that's the key issue in the UK.

Thank goodness we aren't like America where everything boils down to race.
    As I already posted the vast majority in the UK as in the US own property, only in inner London like inner New York City do most rent.

The difference in the UK has historically been class more than race.

Though increasingly there is more of an age difference in both
    The fact that most own their property, because property was affordable when old people were young, is utterly irrelevant and not the killer point you think it is.

Most young people should be able to afford a house. They can't. That's a problem and it needs solving urgently.
    YOu really are dumb, young people have always struggled to buy houses, it was mainlky social housing till Thatcher sold them off dirt cheap and caused the boom for Tory toffs to build up BTL portfolios and rip off the public purse. Just a transfer of the value of eth public housing stock to a handful of Tories.
    Young people have not always struggled to buy houses, relative to today, that is factually incorrect and betrays your ignorance.

The BTL buildup that happened under Blair/Brown onwards is very problematic and needs addressing whether it be via taxation or failing that via extending Right to Buy to BTL tenants.
    The BTL build up isn't the problem. It' the price of housing.
    BTL is in part driving the price of housing, though, is it not?
    It's more a side effect of the increasing prices. The classic is "he bought a flat in London, back in the day, she did the same". They get married, buy a house by extracting value, and rent out the flats. Because the rises in house prices make keeping property forever the best plan.

The problem isn't really people owning and renting flats. It's the prices and the constrained supply meaning that every shitbox can be rented out, no matter how bad, at a high price.

Imagine if the price of renting a house in the London suburbs was, say £250 a month for a 3 bedroom house. No one would give a shit about house prices/rents. Or who owned them.

Rent vs Ownership - it's just pushing the same pile of beans about. What we need is a lot more beans.
    Again this is mainly a London problem and to a lesser extent a Home counties problem.

Go north of Watford and property prices and rents are far cheaper (though even in parts of Outer London and the Home counties like Dagenham or Bexley or East Kent or South Essex outside Brentwood and Epping Forest property prices are far cheaper)
    St Albans is north of Watford.

A three bed semi towards the edge of the city in the catchment area of one of the best state secondary schools is on the market for £1,150,000.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/132193331

You would get at least 3 nice 4 bed detached's for that in God's country.
    Get a bloody street round here. With change.
    that would get you a semi detached in Amersham....
    An ex council house in Barnes

*Wheels out the stock reference to John D Rockefeller and the shoeshine boy*.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,883
    Simon Case, the cabinet secretary, will have no choice but to resign because WhatsApp messages are likely to emerge that are “utterly indefensible”, The Times has been told.

He is weighing up his future after leaked WhatsApp messages showed that he had privately criticised Rishi Sunak and Boris Johnson and mocked holidaymakers forced to quarantine.

However, a government source who has worked with Case said that there were far worse messages to come which were likely to emerge during the coronavirus inquiry.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/simon-case-early-resign-civil-service-coronation-king-2023-c08g93gn9
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Taking 57 years

Could we deport them all to scotland they are always saying they need immigrants
    If its to Scotland it's not deportation.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

So.

I wanted to give the child murderer a break, ragged on him a lot lately.
    Shall we compromise? William of Normandy.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,893

Easy answer to that: "The Greens are only interested in Trans and undermining the independence movement with culture war... etc etc"
  • Options
    edited March 2023

Now more of the detail is coming out about the Northern Ireland talks, it shows us more matters need to be clarified in writing and sorted out in the Joint Committee before accepting any changes to the legal position.

The EU spokesman has told MEPs according to briefings that the ECJ will have an important role and substantial amounts of EU law will apply to Northern Ireland. He also pointed out the Stormont brake would rarely be able to work. It seems the green lane would still be subject to EU checks and to possible EU interruption to the flow of goods. That is why I have asked the government to show us a list of the EU laws that will apply to Northern Ireland from day one of any new agreements. I have asked how many VAT and Excise rules will still constrain our tax policies, and want to know more about what information and form filling people will need to supply to allow green lane trade. It appears that EU plant and animal husbandry rules will apply. We also need to know in what circumstances the EU could suspend or modify green lane trade.

It is most important to get this right. The rest of the UK does not want to find it needs to align with the EU over tax and regulations, any more than Unionists in Northern Ireland wish to find their laws and taxes in part come from the EU where they have no vote or voice. The UK fully accepts the need to avoid a border between NI and the Republic, but also needs to avoid a border between GB and NI. Any new arrangement at the very least needs a unilateral exit route for the UK should the terms prove onerous. It remains to be seen if the Unionist parties find it acceptable so that they can rejoin the Stormont Assembly, one of the original aims of the talks.

https://johnredwoodsdiary.com/2023/03/07/the-government-needs-to-ask-for-substantial-improvements-to-the-northern-ireland-deal/

The point I have bolded is, to me, the crux of the matter. The deal may not be great shakes itself, but any easing of intra-UK trade is to be welcomed - however, only if the agreement can be terminated freely by both parties. Otherwise, the Windsor Framework will have the binding status of an international treaty on the UK, but the EU will be able to suspend its commitments under the agreement whenever it wants to. That's not something any responsible Government would put its name to.
    The deal is the deal and will go through though the DUP may prevaricate over Stormont
    It’s okay Big G. I have taken a screen grab of you predicting this will be in place by Easter. Your get out obviously is, you didn’t mention which year.

My take, there’s obviously going to be a counter proposal - clear red lines to renegotiate - from DUP and ERG. As LuckyGuy has said, surely we need an option to terminate? What LuckyGuy and Redwood may have missed is the EU do. They can close the green lane in an instant, without any consultation or agreement, throwing the border back into the Irish Sea. We have surrendered that without having same option ourselves. It’s also true that EU can add new laws and regulations on NI the politicians there cannot block, because there is no real brake or Veto.

You may dismiss these red lines as not bothering yourself, but you must surely concede for many conservative and unionists, these are genuine fears and issues about how balanced the proposal is, and how workable overtime?
    Right on with your post, but I didn't miss it, I stated it. :smile:

It is an extremely unequal agreement, and shouldn't be. Rishi appears to have negotiated poorly, and has shown once again that whilst diplomacy and politeness are important assets, you also need steely determination when dealing with the EU. I find this less forgiveable than Boris's shit deal, because Boris, despite his bluster, had a weak hand. Rishi had a strong hand.

I don't see this getting support from any Unionist party. I'm interested to see what statements (if any) the Alliance party makes about it.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Taking 57 years

It will be after the referendum
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Taking 57 years

But even before that instead of Rwanda....lets just say all boat people are welcome but they will have to live in wick
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,271
    edited March 2023

I expect the vote by Easter or shortly after and frankly I am very pleased not least because it has had an immeasurable improvement with to our relationship with Europe which is long overdue
  • Options
    Labour will be delighted with this debate so far.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

labour dont like debate they like pronouncements from on high
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Why?
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Easy answer to that: "The Greens are only interested in Trans and undermining the independence movement with culture war... etc etc"
    Regan has obviously joined Forbes in working out that an endorsement from the Greens is not exactly an unvarnished blessing, even in this electorate.
  • Options

ping said:

I mean lol and whut?

It reminds me of the time management consultants were hired and their strategy boiled down to advertising

'Become victims of fraud and this bank will protect you all the way, so you'll love being a repeat victim of fraud.'

This is well planned and calculated. Step one is to rally the core Tory press (job done) and provoke the Libs. Shift the dial onto his terrain.

Next is to own legislative agenda and process and force Labour to make mistakes.

Yes, nothing about either improving the situation for refugees or even reducing the number of them in the UK, just pure cynical partisan bullshit that damages our courts. The opposite of conservative.
  • Options

ping said:

I mean lol and whut?

Yes, nothing about either improving the situation for refugees or even reducing the number of them in the UK, just pure cynical partisan bullshit that damages our courts. The opposite of conservative.
    Rishi loves posts like this.

Keep it up.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Eabhal said:

Regan has obviously joined Forbes in working out that an endorsement from the Greens is not exactly an unvarnished blessing, even in this electorate.
    She's a bit gaffe prone though isn't she? Forbes in many ways seems the more grown up of the three, despite being the youngest.
  • Options

ping said:

I mean lol and whut?

Rishi loves posts like this.

Keep it up.
    Less than 2 years to go and it shall be good riddance.
  • Options

ping said:

I mean lol and whut?

The situation of refugees should be improved we agree.....where we don't I suspect is where it becomes the situation of refugees should be improved if it means the living standards of uk citizens should fall to make the improvements
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Eabhal said:

Humza apparently can't quite get his head round the notion that if the Greens are truly pro-indy, they'll still be pro-indy whether they're part of the Scottish government or not.

Meantime, the other two don't have to wed themselves to them quite so much for so little benefit.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Simon Case, the cabinet secretary, will have no choice but to resign because WhatsApp messages are likely to emerge that are “utterly indefensible”, The Times has been told.

He is weighing up his future after leaked WhatsApp messages showed that he had privately criticised Rishi Sunak and Boris Johnson and mocked holidaymakers forced to quarantine.

However, a government source who has worked with Case said that there were far worse messages to come which were likely to emerge during the coronavirus inquiry.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/simon-case-early-resign-civil-service-coronation-king-2023-c08g93gn9

The case against the cabinet secretary is surely open and shut?
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Taking 57 years

But even before that instead of Rwanda....lets just say all boat people are welcome but they will have to live in wick
    Are you saying they get on your Wick?
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

ping said:

I mean lol and whut?

The situation of refugees should be improved we agree.....where we don't I suspect is where it becomes the situation of refugees should be improved if it means the living standards of uk citizens should fall to make the improvements
    If we built more homes then it would be even clearer that refugees do improve the living standards of UK citizens.

If we want to be richer, and we should, then lets prioritse housing, 21st century infrastructure, medium and long term investment rather than searching for penny rich and pound poor quick fixes.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Why?
    All three pulling the SNP record apart. And now, they are getting stuck on the lack of an election with a new First Minister, despite asking for that everytime there is a new PM.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Taking 57 years

Okay my position is fairly clear, we should take migrants that benefit us, we should also be looking at resources when we take them, that includes housing, water, food supply, services. Till then we take what we can then we say sorry we are full
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

ping said:

I mean lol and whut?

If we built more homes then it would be even clearer that refugees do improve the living standards of UK citizens.

If we want to be richer, and we should, then lets prioritse housing, 21st century infrastructure, medium and long term investment rather than searching for penny rich and pound poor quick fixes.
    Houses aren't the only problem, we have other limited resources that even if we built enough houses would be stretched...that is mostly water right now but also food supplies energy supplies and services
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Why?
    All three pulling the SNP record apart. And now, they are getting stuck on the lack of an election with a new First Minister, despite asking for that everytime there is a new PM.
    Ah.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Why?
    And they're all lightweight as hell, let's be honest.

Yes Regan in particular fucked that question, that was a terrible answer from someone who wants to make every election a de facto independence election. "Um it's a bit hypocritical maybe but we just had a Scottish election but maybe there'll be a UK GE along soon that'd be a decent test for the FM". What?

On the plus side, we've had a good hour of politicians basically discussing independence as if it's inevitable, without qualifiers of any sort.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850
    Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Taking 57 years

Okay my position is fairly clear, we should take migrants that benefit us, we should also be looking at resources when we take them, that includes housing, water, food supply, services. Till then we take what we can then we say sorry we are full
    Ukrainians included?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

I concur but will others follow suit? I expect some will wine.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Eabhal said:

She's a bit gaffe prone though isn't she? Forbes in many ways seems the more grown up of the three, despite being the youngest.
    And by far the smartest, in a very poor field, admittedly.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

ping said:

I mean lol and whut?

Get this through your head: the majority of the public do not want unlimited numbers of economic migrants masquerading as refugees (for that is what they are) coming in across the channel.

Until you accept and address this basic problem you desert the field for your political opponents.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Eabhal said:

And by far the smartest, in a very poor field, admittedly.
    "Perhaps not in health" was good.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Taking 57 years

Ukrainians included?
    Yes sorry if that discomforts you but we are getting to the point we dont have enough to go round already. How much less do you think people will accept before they go not another one?
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,433
    FWIW I think Forbes's attack on Humza's record in Govt was a mistake. After all, this is a Govt of which she, like him. is a Cab Sec. Also amounts to an attack on Sturgeon. Even the Editor of the National, commenting just now, thought it unbalanced.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

ping said:

I mean lol and whut?

Get this through your head: the majority of the public do not want unlimited numbers of economic migrants masquerading as refugees (for that is what they are) coming in across the channel.

Until you accept and address this basic problem you desert the field for your political opponents.
    I am not in charge of or even vaguely aligned with any political party.

I understand the majority of the public dont want that, and have said what needs to happen if the govt want to act on that. It requires leaving international treaties not creating new laws. The govt is not doing that and therefore your beef should be with them, not those who simply point out this won't work.

I am not particuarly opposed to replacing the old existing framework with an international quota system, done well it could be an improvement, done badly it could be worse.

This however is a most unconservative sham policy.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,413

Taking 57 years

And Rishi is the one who is meant to be good at numbers.

Seriously- what's he thinking here? That it's the best plan to do what it says on the tin? That it's not the best plan for that, but it will rally and annoy the right people? That it will fail on both those counts, but the right of the party really want to do it?

I'd like to think that Rishi is both sane and decent. And he probably scores better than the last two overall there. But this announcement makes it awfully hard.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Taking 57 years

Ukrainians included?
    Yes sorry if that discomforts you but we are getting to the point we dont have enough to go round already. How much less do you think people will accept before they go not another one?
    Depends on the sort of people.

Plenty feel like you.
  • Options

FWIW I think Forbes's attack on Humza's record in Govt was a mistake. After all, this is a Govt of which she, like him. is a Cab Sec. Also amounts to an attack on Sturgeon. Even the Editor of the National, commenting just now, thought it unbalanced.

IDK, after Truss taking the Boris loyalty line and that he should not have resigned and made no mistakes, whilst also saying the economic direction of his government and previous governments was pants and had been from the start, and then winning handily on that basis, who knows what might work with party memberships.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,271
    edited March 2023
    ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Taking 57 years

Wick is a great town and my wife has family there and spent time there in the war

• Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    Is the UK govt 3D chess move to agree to a referendum now Nicola has gone?
  • Options

I expect the vote by Easter or shortly after and frankly I am very pleased not least because it has had an immeasurable improvement with to our relationship with Europe which is long overdue
    I know what you are saying. Yes I agree warm cooperation clearly there. But I think that is ACTUALLY the problem, the Achilles Heel at the heart of the agreement. The UK and EU singing from the same hymn sheet on this, at the expense of DUP and ERG over in a different camp, different hymn altogether. In fact the hymns arn’t even allowed in the same hymnals.

Sunak’s government and EU in same camp, of what’s good for them, DUP and ERG in a different camp. That’s the dividing line.

For example as I explained it the other day in Yes Minister terms, idea Stormont/DUP have a real Brake or Veto has fallen apart quite quickly under not much scrutiny, so selling point to NI is the wonders of being in the EU single market going forward instead. The reason for this is Rishi and EU can’t allow a real veto in this deal.
    This is where in your Jim Hacker voice you ask, why not?
    And Sir Humphrey roll his eyes and say, because if you give the DUP a real veto minister, they wouldn’t hesitate to use it.
    But we want them to use it. To block all those brand new EU laws, and rules and regulations being imposed on Northern Ireland. Don’t we?
    [Sir Humphrey smirks and shakes his head] But we’ve built the agreement around the fact, if the EU don’t get their way on imposing new laws and regulation, they can scrap the Green Lane without a shred of consultation, throw the border back into the Irish Sea, and we’ll all be back to square one. Without that there would be no agreement at all.
    We’ve agreed that?
    Yes Minister. In black and white, which you clearly haven’t read all over.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

He's definitely in a corner.

More seriously, what does this tell us? That he's an ignorant stuck up incompetent twat? You'd have to be living under a rock not to know that. He was appointed for those reasons, FFS. Cummings was nervous about appointing anyone vaguely capable in case he couldn't control that person.

So I'm not sure why it alters the position. He should have resigned after Partygate, along with everyone else implicated (incidentally it's rather telling that only one person - Allegra Stratton - did, despite actually in many ways being the least culpable). If he didn't resign for being censured after breaking the law, why would he do so for this?
  • Options
    Monkeys said:

Is the UK govt 3D chess move to agree to a referendum now Nicola has gone?

No.
  • Options

Sounds like the SNP are self combusting much like the conservative party
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Taking 57 years

Ukrainians included?
    Depends on the sort of people.

Plenty feel like you.
    To be clear, I don't care about creed, colour, sexuality here....I do believe governements first job is to take care of its citizens. If we can add people without impact then lets do it. When we can't then we must stop. Governements first job is to look after uk citizens
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,548
    Richard Dawkins in this week's Spectator.

"Jacinda Ardern's government implemented a ludicrous policy, spawned by Chris Hipkin's Ministry of Education before he became prime minister. Science classes are to be taught that Maori 'Ways of Knowing' (Matauranga Maori) have equal standing with 'western' science. Not surprisingly, this adolescent virtue-signalling horrified New Zealand's grown-up scientists and scholars. Seven of them wrote to the Listener magazine. Three who were fellows of the NZ Royal Society were threatened with an inquisitorial investigation. Two of these, including the distinguished medical scientist Garth Cooper, himself of Maori descent, resigned (the third unfortunately died). I was delighted to meet Professor Cooper, with others of the seven. His resignation letter cited the society's failure to support science against its denigration as 'a western European invention'. He was affronted, too, by a complaint (not endorsed by the NZRS) that 'to insist on Maoiri children learning to read is an act of colonisation'"

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/why-im-sticking-up-for-science/
  • Options
    The simplest way for Sunak to win the migrant debate is to have a highly active, "at source", refugee campaign based in eastern Turkey or Poland, picking up families in Chinooks and whisking them into free seats at Wimbledon.

Lots of insta, facebook, embed journalists (see the Royal Navy thing on iplayer - "why chucking a F35 in the sea is a good teambuilding exercise"), fresh faced fast-streamers tending to wounds, close ups of children getting fed Cornish Pasties, Dura Ace teaching one to drive in a Porsche.

THEN

But we ran out of space after 10,000,000,000 Albanians came over on the boats. So...
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Taking 57 years

Wick is a great town and my wife has family there and spent time there in the war

Only ever been there once, after riding the Far Northern Line. Didn't see anything to especially dislike, or anything that ran in my head as remarkable.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

The simplest way for Sunak to win the migrant debate is to have a highly active, "at source", refugee campaign based in eastern Turkey or Poland, picking up families in Chinooks and whisking them into free seats at Wimbledon.

Lots of insta, facebook, embed journalists (see the Royal Navy thing on iplayer - "why chucking a F35 in the sea is a good teambuilding exercise"), fresh faced fast-streamers tending to wounds, close ups of children getting fed Cornish Pasties, Dura Ace teaching one to drive in a Porsche.

THEN

But we ran out of space after 10,000,000,000 Albanians came over on the boats. So...

"Rishi's real refugees"
  • Options
    The Telegraph's Lockdown files pages are impressive:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/lockdown-files/

I had not read that Matt Hancock wanted to threaten to cancel a Centre for kids with disabilities being built in someone's constituency if they opposed lockdown. What a prick. I don't have a subscription so I don't know the name of the MP.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,777
    edited March 2023
    The Home Office has been useless for years and got worse since the Tories came to power . The processing of asylum claims has been atrocious and this monstrosity of a bill will do nothing to clear the backlog .

But as long as the stain on humanity Braverman and her gimp Sunak can look all tough that’s all that matters .

Meanwhile the clamor begins to pull the UK out of the ECHR by loathsome Tory MPs like Clarke and Francois .

And the elephant in the room Brexit is nowhere to be seen , amazing given this is a big part of the problem in terms of returning people to EU countries.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

He's definitely in a corner.

More seriously, what does this tell us? That he's an ignorant stuck up incompetent twat? You'd have to be living under a rock not to know that. He was appointed for those reasons, FFS. Cummings was nervous about appointing anyone vaguely capable in case he couldn't control that person.

So I'm not sure why it alters the position. He should have resigned after Partygate, along with everyone else implicated (incidentally it's rather telling that only one person - Allegra Stratton - did, despite actually in many ways being the least culpable). If he didn't resign for being censured after breaking the law, why would he do so for this?
    A PM that was focused on running this country would have moved him on already. Surely he is not going to miss this chance.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    edited March 2023
    So, Sturgeon was head and shoulders above her successors. But she actually did nothing - and those successors are telling Scottish voters she achieved nothing.

Have I missed anything?
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,970

Forbes and Regan are both aiming for the substantial number of SNP members who are unhappy with the direction of the party under Sturgeon. Not all left to join Alba. The National is supporting Yousaf, so would be expected to not support Forbes.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Eabhal said:

Humza apparently can't quite get his head round the notion that if the Greens are truly pro-indy, they'll still be pro-indy whether they're part of the Scottish government or not.

Meantime, the other two don't have to wed themselves to them quite so much for so little benefit.
    Enlisting the Greens was part of Sturgeon's strategy - ensuring a solid lock on ScotGov and the support of younger people for the Indy project. Junking the Greens which would be the consequence of a Forbes or Regan win and completely overturns her legacy. She'll be spitting tacks at Forbes's attacks on her Govt's record.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

The Home Office has been useless for years and got worse since the Tories came to power . The processing of asylum claims has been atrocious and this monstrosity of a bill will do nothing to clear the backlog .

But as long as the stain on humanity Braverman and her gimp Sunak can look all tough that’s all that matters .

Meanwhile the clamor begins to pull the UK out of the ECHR by loathsome Tory MPs like Clarke and Francois .

And the elephant in the room Brexit is nowhere to be seen , amazing given this is a big part of the problem in terms of returning people to EU countries.

When we were in the eu we also couldn't return them, indeed we paid a lot of money to the french to stop them coming but still they came in similar numbers
  • Options

So, Sturgeon was head and shoulders above her successors. But she actaully did nothing - and those successors are telling Scottish voters she achieved nothing.

Have I missed anything?

I can think of a great many politicians whose record in office would have been far better had they done nothing rather than the actual disasters they perpetrated.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100

I had not read that Matt Hancock wanted to threaten to cancel a Centre for kids with disabilities being built in someone's constituency if they opposed lockdown. What a prick. I don't have a subscription so I don't know the name of the MP.

One of the Bury MPs.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Eabhal said:

Enlisting the Greens was part of Sturgeon's strategy - ensuring a solid lock on ScotGov and the support of younger people for the Indy project. Junking the Greens which would be the consequence of a Forbes or Regan win and completely overturns her legacy. She'll be spitting tacks at Forbes's attacks on her Govt's record.
    Well, indeed, this and pretty much only this is what sets out Humza as the continuity candidate.
  • Options

Forbes and Regan are both aiming for the substantial number of SNP members who are unhappy with the direction of the party under Sturgeon. Not all left to join Alba. The National is supporting Yousaf, so would be expected to not support Forbes.
    Basically the entire SNP establishment is backing Yousaf. The fact that he's so poor is a pretty damning indictment of Sturgeon's succession planning. She really didn't think through the implications of promoting Kate Forbes when Derek Mackay imploded.
  • Options

The thing is - no one trust the Tories to solve anything. The small boats thing today is another indicator of how they’ve lost their minds - pushing forward on something that looks dubious in terms of legality. Which is a shame after the common sense of the Windsor framework

From this poll.

My take is this is a rather poor poll for Labour, 6% chunk knocked off the lead since the last one.

7% only on economy doesn’t look too good for Labour either.

We have to remember, losing 6% of lead now and only 7% ahead on economy, we are still north country miles away from a general election.

We used to think of these seats as Labour heartlands, loyal to Labour even through the Thatcher landslides of the eighties? Why then are Tories doing so well there this week, against all these headwinds?
    I stopped reading at 'my take'
    That’s a shame as I raised some interesting points.

Why talk up a poll where the gap has closed so much since the last one?

Why, in this situation, are Labour not further ahead on economy?

Why, considering some of the worst headwinds any UK government have had to endure since the 70’s, is the Tory position clearly not worsening, in fact just recently seems to be advancing, such as in this poll?

I can tap out and not offer my “honest unspun take” if Admins don’t like them.
    Well you've never done that before, predicting the Tories are advancing.
    Not for a while no, I prefer seeing sequences of polls, and judge month by month before pointing to movemrnt like that, as it’s more secure movement measured from more data.

But I’m sticking to my guns, Tonight's R&W Red Wall poll is actually surprisingly better for the Conservatives for once, so your pro Labour ramping of it is a bit of an odd take.

If we want to be really deep on this, I think it’s looking like red wall voters may be a different kettle of fish from normal election swingers. This parliament terms local council elections, and to extent by-elections, has given Labour mixed results on winning them back, particularly midlands branch of red wall, less so Wales branch of red wall. As a betting tip, Labour might put on 100 seats at next election, but find a few of these Red Wall areas not coming back in the end. And it might be Red Wall hold outs deny them the majority. That’s what I take from tonight’s poll, which is obviously very different than yours.
    Pro Labour ramping by me? WTF are you on about?

I've consistently written thread headers saying I don't think Labour will win a majority at the next election.
    Naught but Tory Propaganda!
    One seven goal win and this is what he’s like. 🙄 Manic over ramped posting, leaping between conversations, Swearing and everything.

At least the coming Liverpool results will bring him back down to normal 😈
  • Options

I think that she burnt her bridges with Sturgeon a while ago. That is a major part of the attraction. And Useless is every bit as vulnerable on his record as she is on her religious beliefs, arguably more so.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Taking 57 years

Only ever been there once, after riding the Far Northern Line. Didn't see anything to especially dislike, or anything that ran in my head as remarkable.
    Fair comment but our connections with Wick are by family and friends over generations
  • Options

Hancock comes out of this terribly and I expect the enquiry will be unforgiving on his role
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Taking 57 years

Wick has the world's shortest street. Apparently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebenezer_Place,_Wick
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,182
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Taking 57 years

I've been to Wick and Thurso. Both were good.
  • Options

Hancock comes out of this terribly and I expect the enquiry will be unforgiving on his role
    He is just the first of many. Sounds like Case being lined up next. The Telegraph have a gold mine here.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,548
    edited March 2023
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I think that she burnt her bridges with Sturgeon a while ago. That is a major part of the attraction. And Useless is every bit as vulnerable on his record as she is on her religious beliefs, arguably more so.
    Mebbes. I'm no expert but I'm not sure that SNP members are quite so ready to put the boot into Nicola. Up until a few weeks ago she was the messiah.
  • Options

He is just the first of many. Sounds like Case being lined up next. The Telegraph have a gold mine here.
    I feel this is just the beginning. The flames are licking at the whole sorry Government.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Taking 57 years

Worst fish and chips I have ever had was in Thurso.
  • Options

Maybe Starmer will offer Case a job.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Taking 57 years

Wick has the world's shortest street. Apparently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebenezer_Place,_Wick
    Love that!
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,261

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Taking 57 years

[swaggering] So have I :)
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    ydoethur said:

Taz said:

WillG said:

Pagan2 said:

We settled on 'Stop The Boats' as a slogan for our policy, because cruel, impractical, illegal, deceitful, xenophobic gaslighting wasn't as catchy.
    #ToryGaslighting

It's vile.
    It is.

Are HM Opposition in favour or against?
    Stevie (useless) Kinnock was on PM. He's against the small boats and the crims. He wants an arrangement with Francais, and staging posts in France where they can apply for asylum, a clamp down on the crims and a legal route for genuine asylum seekers. He said stopping the boats before the legal route was putting the cart before the horse. It seemed quite reasonable to me.

The BBC had an Aussie on to back the Government line and he said it might work as it did in Aussie but you also need a legal means for asylum seekers to arrive to claim asylum.

Let's face it Cruella was on manouvres today and her ultimate aim as PM is to remove us from the Churchillian ECHR. Anyway should she become PM and she dreams of sending leftie Remainer traitors to Rwanda, I'll volunteer. It's got to be no worse than living in Rwanda than her lawless dystopian totalitarian state. At least the sun shines.
    What does he think the masses declined on the legal route are going to do? Oh let me guess they are going to get on a boat. It's only a solution if you intend to take everyone that applies and that isn't going to happen even under a labour government
    Yeah,. A ferry from Calais

Today we saw a Conservative Party that would have made Enoch Powell and Peter Griffiths polish their racism with pride.
    Ah, the old favourite the left loves. When you run put of arguments just screaming racism. Even more laughable when we have an ethnic minority Tory PM, after Labour have yet another white male at the top.
    We also have record levels of inward net migration.

Which no one bats an eyelid at.

Mind you I’ve learnt that not building houses is racist today. Every days a school day.
    You have raised this a couple of times now Taz, and it’s an interesting point. The Tories are conflating two separate things into one - uncontrolled immigration via channel boats, where at least least some of the people may be genuine asylum seekers not given many other options to claim asylum here by UK government other than that dangerous crossing, conflated with immigration and feelings and issues with that par se.

For example, let’s looks at some of these Express and Mail front pages - uncontrolled immigration is one key issue which can place clear sharp difference between government and Keir Starmer.

Hence the hammering of the asylum laws and obligations to be tough on “uncontrolled immigration” Immigration under this government meanwhile

Net migration for the UK in the year ending June 2022
    This was estimated to be at 504,000, an increase of 331,000 compared with the YE June 2021 (173,000). This was driven by net migration of non-EU nationals, at 509,000 in the YE June 2022, an increase of 352,000 compared with YE June 2021.

Apart from you pointing this out, I don’t think anyone else here or in media is pointing up this conflating difference.
    So step 1 has worked.

We won't know the actual impact of this policy until we've seen some opinion polling, of course.
    Sorry that was last Sunday’s Mail.

This is tonight’s. The first traitor unmasked and given a proper kickin like?

There’s never any wine left in the bottle to keep in the door ☺️
This discussion has been closed.