Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

We should wait before reaching polling conclusions – politicalbetting.com

124»

Comments

• Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,477
    carnforth said:

Chris said:

Stocky said:

It seems two stories have come out nearly simultaneously in respect of the Sue Gray appointment and the report from the privileges committee and by far the most serious one is the damning nature of the privileges committee report

I just cannot see Johnson being cleared by the committee and I expect he will be sanctioned and quite rightly

As far as Sue Gray is concerned the Guardian report is worth a read

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/mar/03/labour-ready-to-delay-sue-gray-appointment-amid-growing-row?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Read the Guardian piece.

Not sure what this means: "Stafford refused repeatedly to answer questions, however, on whether Gray was responsible for the parties herself, and his interview was cut short by the BBC presenter Nick Robinson."

Who is suggesting that Gray is responsible for the parties?
    I think the point is that, whomever Ms Gray subsequently works for, it doesn't alter the fact that Boris was lashing it up with workmates while everyone else was alone and fearful and crushed by lockdown.
    You mean like this.

That still makes me so angry. Partying while the Queen sat all sad and alone like that was basically treason. Can't we strip Boris Johnson of his British citizenship or something?
    Boris wasn't at the eve-of-the-funeral party, IIRC.
    'IIRC'? You were there? :wink:
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,868
    Selebian said:

carnforth said:

Chris said:

Stocky said:

It seems two stories have come out nearly simultaneously in respect of the Sue Gray appointment and the report from the privileges committee and by far the most serious one is the damning nature of the privileges committee report

I just cannot see Johnson being cleared by the committee and I expect he will be sanctioned and quite rightly

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/mar/03/labour-ready-to-delay-sue-gray-appointment-amid-growing-row?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Read the Guardian piece.

Not sure what this means: "Stafford refused repeatedly to answer questions, however, on whether Gray was responsible for the parties herself, and his interview was cut short by the BBC presenter Nick Robinson."

I think the point is that, whomever Ms Gray subsequently works for, it doesn't alter the fact that Boris was lashing it up with workmates while everyone else was alone and fearful and crushed by lockdown.
    You mean like this.

That still makes me so angry. Partying while the Queen sat all sad and alone like that was basically treason. Can't we strip Boris Johnson of his British citizenship or something?
    'IIRC'? You were there? :wink:
    I'm always astounded by the reach of PB's membership.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Only because of the flood of nonsense from Tories and their friends in the newspapers. What on earth is wrong with a senior civil servant changing her job?
    Nothing at all but this is a political appointment and should have been done after the privileges committee decision
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,848
    Thanks Big G.

My instinct is that Keith needs to be careful with this... Depending on exactly what links Sue Gray has had to the Labour Party and over what period of time this could blow up into Starmers first major crony scandal (more likely after he becomes PM though IMO)
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,135
    Driver said:

Chris said:

Stocky said:

Read the Guardian piece.

You mean like this.

Seeing this picture doesn't make me angry about what some civil servants did in private the day before, it makes me angry that the government imposed bullshit restictions on funerals. And that the opposition wanted more bullshit restrictions for longer.
    Of course, we can only imagine how many funerals there would have been, if policy had been decided on kneejerk libertarian criteria.
  • Options

Chris said:

Stocky said:

Read the Guardian piece.

You mean like this.

Why don't we make him stateless? We do it for people we don't like.
  • Options
    Was it "inappropriate" to have Dan Rosenfield who worked for the treasury be Johnson's chief of staff?

What about Jonathan Powell who was a Senior Civil Servant? He worked for Blair
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,343
    edited March 2023
    GIN1138 said:

Thanks Big G.

My instinct is that Keith needs to be careful with this... Depending on exactly what links Sue Gray has had to the Labour Party and over what period of time this could blow up into Starmers first major crony scandal (more likely after he becomes PM though IMO)
    The cabinet office are seeking clarification as to when discussions were first made and he will need to respond

• Options
    First poll of SNP Members puts Hamza Yousaf in the lead.

Humza Yousaf: 31%
    Kate Forbes: 25%
    Ash Regan: 11%

Once don't knows excluded:

Yousaf: 46%
    Forbes: 37%
    Regan: 17%

Savanta / Daily Telegraph. 23 Feb – 1 March
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,106
    @TLDRNewsUK
    🇦🇷 Argentina has told the UK that it wants to start new talks over the sovereignty of the Falkland Islands and has pulled out of a 2016 cooperation pact.

https://twitter.com/TLDRNewsUK/status/1631677172065738753

Could a Sunak Falklands moment save his chances of reelection?
  • Options

Chris said:

Stocky said:

Read the Guardian piece.

You mean like this.

Don't be silly. We only do that for people with Middle Eastern ancestry.
  • Options

Mm. It's not a FPTP vote. Given the very high chance that anyone voting fror Regan 1 will put Forbes 2, and vice versa, I wouldn't be too sure aboiut Mr Yousaf's chances quite yet.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,134
    carnforth said:

Chris said:

Stocky said:

Read the Guardian piece.

You mean like this.

Yes but it feels like he was, and that's what counts!
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,001

Carnyx said:

Only because of the flood of nonsense from Tories and their friends in the newspapers. What on earth is wrong with a senior civil servant changing her job?
    Nothing at all but this is a political appointment and should have been done after the privileges committee decision
    As I said yesterday, the Tories want to be careful if they start talking about political appointments to non-political roles, starting with chicken-fighter-in-chief Alex Aiken.
  • Options

@TLDRNewsUK
    🇦🇷 Argentina has told the UK that it wants to start new talks over the sovereignty of the Falkland Islands and has pulled out of a 2016 cooperation pact.

Unlikely. Have a look at the armed forces today compared with 1981.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,482

It confirms what we have suspected all week. It’s tight.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736

This is good for Forbes isn't it? Regan's votes would break very strongly for Forbes, yes?
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Chris said:

Stocky said:

Read the Guardian piece.

You mean like this.

Sorry. That would definitely make everything OK then.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,526
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Stocky said:

Read the Guardian piece.

You mean like this.

Will BoJo's Turkish Great Grandfather do?

Alternatively, given the whole "two states" loophole, can we persuade the Yanks to take Johnson back and stiff him with an enormous tax bill.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,134

@TLDRNewsUK

Bloody hell not again. The Argentinians need to give this a rest.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Mm. It's not a FPTP vote. Given the very high chance that anyone voting fror Regan 1 will put Forbes 2, and vice versa, I wouldn't be too sure aboiut Mr Yousaf's chances quite yet.
    It is very interesting because the policies of Yousaf and the other two are miles apart, not least on the GRC, oil and gas exploration, and dualling the A9 plus lower taxes
  • Options

Carnyx said:

It is very interesting because the policies of Yousaf and the other two are miles apart, not least on the GRC, oil and gas exploration, and dualling the A9 plus lower taxes
    Not fair re A9? - I think he was talking about that as well the other day.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,848

@TLDRNewsUK

Would we have the capability to defend the Falkland Islands now if Argentina invaded?
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,971

@TLDRNewsUK

At least they understand “once in a generation”.

• Options

@TLDRNewsUK

Perhaps recent comments by our American cousins about the poor effectiveness of our armed forces have given the Argentinians hope
  • Options

Chris said:

Chris said:

Stocky said:

Read the Guardian piece.

You mean like this.

Will BoJo's Turkish Great Grandfather do?
    What's this? A Turkish immigrant??

• Options
    This thread has sunk ...
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,482

@TLDRNewsUK

They have actually gone further than just demanding negotiation on sovereignty, Argies have RIPPED UP the pact with us to cooperate on issues such as energy, shipping and fishing. They will have a lot of country’s on their side in this coming and escalating dispute. It’s not one we can rely on US support on. Nor India, China, EU etc. we would be pretty much alone as Argies seek support to recognise their sovereign claim.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,230
    Michael Crick on Sue Grey:

https://archive.ph/7BIzw
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,497
    Chris said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Has any PB-er tried this miracle weight loss drug Ozempic?

As avowed by Jez Clarkson, most of Hollywood, and now David Aaronovitch in today’s Times?

It sounds amazing. And I’ve just discovered that a chunky female relative of mine has been on it for 5 weeks and has lost 10 pounds (without trying). And she has struggled with weight all of her life

I’ve got 12 pounds of Covid lard that will not shift. I’m gonna try this

I have a colleague who has taken it for a while, he said it's been great for getting the weight down but it has taken all of the enjoyment of food out of life for him. I think for someone like you where going to a great restaurant and enjoying the food it will probably be a big hit to your life quality vs doing a bit of extra exercise.

My relative says this is not her experience

She still really enjoys food, she just eats less

But I hear you: I will do a short term experiment
    I do handstands against a wall each night. When I'm up, I bend my arms doing a sort of vertical press up (not kissing the floor or anything, just what I can manage), and do progressively more as time goes on. I am up to between 50 and 60 now. Conbined with a fairly active lifestyle, and only having one meal a day in the week (two at weekends) that keeps me in shape.
    It's very funny, but from reading your posts I somehow got an idea that something like that was probably happening.
    :lol:

I haven't mastered the art of posting on PB at the same time yet.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,497
    Carnyx said:

Chris said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

As avowed by Jez Clarkson, most of Hollywood, and now David Aaronovitch in today’s Times?

It sounds amazing. And I’ve just discovered that a chunky female relative of mine has been on it for 5 weeks and has lost 10 pounds (without trying). And she has struggled with weight all of her life

I have a colleague who has taken it for a while, he said it's been great for getting the weight down but it has taken all of the enjoyment of food out of life for him. I think for someone like you where going to a great restaurant and enjoying the food it will probably be a big hit to your life quality vs doing a bit of extra exercise.

I do handstands against a wall each night. When I'm up, I bend my arms doing a sort of vertical press up (not kissing the floor or anything, just what I can manage), and do progressively more as time goes on. I am up to between 50 and 60 now. Conbined with a fairly active lifestyle, and only having one meal a day in the week (two at weekends) that keeps me in shape.
    It's very funny, but from reading your posts I somehow got an idea that something like that was probably happening.
    "You are old, Father William," the young man said,
    "And your hair has become very white;
    And yet you incessantly stand on your head—
    Do you think, at your age, it is right?"

"In my youth," Father William replied to his son,
    "I feared it might injure the brain;
    But now that I'm perfectly sure I have none,
    Why, I do it again and again."
    I can do headstands but would not do that every night.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,898
    carnforth said:

Michael Crick on Sue Grey:

https://archive.ph/7BIzw

Sadly appearence is a legitimate concern when it comes to behaviour.

The move will blunt future Labour attacks over partygate and fuel suspicions that the party is being aided by Gray’s inside information. Though I don’t believe she would ever pass on such knowledge, it’s the appearance that counts
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736

Carnyx said:

Chris said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

"You are old, Father William," the young man said,
    "And your hair has become very white;
    And yet you incessantly stand on your head—
    Do you think, at your age, it is right?"

"In my youth," Father William replied to his son,
    "I feared it might injure the brain;
    But now that I'm perfectly sure I have none,
    Why, I do it again and again."
    I can do headstands but would not do that every night.
    The best way to lose/control weight (along with regulating calorie intake) is lifting weights I think. Muscle mass keeps metabolism high. Burns calories well after your workout.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097
    edited March 2023

@TLDRNewsUK

They have actually gone further than just demanding negotiation on sovereignty, Argies have RIPPED UP the pact with us to cooperate on issues such as energy, shipping and fishing. They will have a lot of country’s on their side in this coming and escalating dispute. It’s not one we can rely on US support on. Nor India, China, EU etc. we would be pretty much alone as Argies seek support to recognise their sovereign claim.
    We have a permanent veto as a permanent member of the UN Security Council on Argentina's claim which is more than enough
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    Carnyx said:

Surely they cannot be so thick they will vote that lying clown in so he becomes FM. If so Scotland and SNP are F**ked big time.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796
    HYUFD said:

@TLDRNewsUK

We have a permanent veto as a permanent member of the UN Security Council on Argentina's claim which is more than enough
    Russia has the same with respect to Ukraine.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,457
    GIN1138 said:

@TLDRNewsUK

Would we have the capability to defend the Falkland Islands now if Argentina invaded?
    Probably, because the state of Argentinian forces is even worse than our own.

Also, we have a squadron of typhoons, surface to air missiles, a battalion of troops and a RN guardship.

We could defend them, but we probably couldn't retake them.
  • Options

@TLDRNewsUK

I'm not sure that's true.

This isn't Diego Garcia. There's a very long established population on the Falkland Islands and the principle of self-determination applies.

I don't think that's something either the US or EU will want to break for a bolshy neighbour because precedent.
  • Options

Starmer has played a masterstroke.

He has managed to get Rishi's deal off the front pages and got BoJo back on it, just as the Privileges Committee calls Johnson a liar.

The man has a political skill, nobody seems able to accept it, however.

Lol. This shit got 8 likes.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    GIN1138 said:

@TLDRNewsUK

Far more capability (than in 1982) to defend them but far less to take them back if that defence failed. I would not be confident of us holding them - although I expect it would be painful for the Argentines to take them. I don't think we would be able to retake them under the same circumstances as 1982.
This discussion has been closed.