Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Can we now Rule out a Johnson comeback? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,865
    JohnO said:

Obviously not. Our revered host has clearly got a little overexcited because Rishi has had a good news day. Understandable given their rarity.

The butthurt emanating from you is glorious.
    This is funny.

I've read you (as our host, but beneath the line) describe Sunak as a "nob", and criticise me for being too Leavey, and I've had @Luckyguy1983 lose his shit and critique me for being "wet" as I wasn't willing to stay part of the Trussite praetorian guard. And now you fire missiles at each other. Despite the fact we're all aligned to the same party and probably have more in common than any in the opposition parties.

Conservatives are never happier than when attacking one another.

It's the reason we're in the state we're in.
    I had lunch with JohnO last week, we both observed we probably have more contempt for a lot of Tory MPs than we do for Starmer and most of the shadow cabinet.

Whilst some might doubt my PB Tory status but nobody can question JohnO's loyalty and dedication to the party.
    I am planning to have lunch with him soon myself.

What JohnO doesn't do is attack other Conservatives, of course he'll have his own views in private and I've found them to be remarkably fair and nuanced.
    Greatly looking forward to getting together. And such generous sentiments about someone nasty, brutish and very VERY short.
    Andrew Bridgen?
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    edited February 2023
    kle4 said:

Half MSPs and a third of MPs have backed a candidate:

SNP Leadership Election Endorsements, state of play at 8pm on 28th of February. 3 candidates, meaning 106 endorsements available.

Candidate: Backers (MSPs/MPs)

Yousaf: 34 (22/12)
    Forbes: 9 (7/2)
    Regan: 1 (0/1)
    None Yet: 57 (28/29)
    None: 5 (4/1)

https://ballotbox.scot/scottish-parliament/snp-leadership-election-2023

Not a single minister at Holyrood has, so far, backed Forbes. Yousaf has three cabinet secretaries and a number of junior ministers supporting him.

Notably, Ian Blackford, who represents the same patch of the Highlands as Kate, has declared for Humza.

I wonder if this will influence SNP members?

As we have repeatedly seen, and very recently too, leaders who lack the support of their parliamentary colleagues invariably come to grief sooner or later.
    The sooner parties realise there's no real benefit to having the leader chosen by Members the better. Yes, Corbyn's surge saw Labour massively boost numbers, but it didn't help win an election, and the Tories haven't seen a surge since they started having members choose.

Cut them out, and if the only reason they were a party member was to have a vote for Leader are they that much of an asset? Members didn't used to care about it.
    Unfortunately the SNP (read: Sturgeon and Murrell and their helpers) have subverted internal party democracy so badly that a vote on the leader is one of the few meaningful perks remaining of being a member now.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,272
    ohnotnow said:

kle4 said:

Not sure we can rule out a Johnson HIGNFY comeback, to be fair.

I suspect we can, given the obvious hatred and contempt Hislop has for him. Some other show, perhaps. But not that one.

(Has there been a telly show where the host is generally disliked and the fun is watching different guests abuse him each week? Sort of the I'm A Celeb dynamic, but studio bound and with no redemption arc?)
    It was like that in the Angus Deayton post-prozzie era. It wasn't comfortable viewing, and he soon had to go.
    IIRC he only lasted the one episode after that?

Though it was pretty obvious Merton disliked Deayton anyway (I used to watch a lot of old episodes when there loads on Youtube), and was often derisive of him in a way quite different to his banter with Hislop.
    I remember watching an interview with Merton and his disdain for Deayton was very apparent. Really quite a cold dislike of him and what he brought to the show.
    There was certainly resentment for the plaudits Deayton got when his gags and quips were mostly read from an autocue.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,865

There has to be a more than zero chance that Sunak's dismal decline schtick gets too much for the Tory Party. Hunt's budget will be risky - I think Sunak will quite like his newfound semi-popularity, so there may be some tax cuts in there, but if Hunt goes full 'crush the nation and decimate the PCP' mode, that will be bad news. Then there's the locals. Sunak's departure is unlikely, but not impossible.

In that instance, Boris is 'l'inevitable'. Clearly it cannot be Truss. It won't be a 'boring but safe caretaker' like May, because Sunak is meant to be the boring but safe caretaker, so his failure would represent the failure of that approach. I don't think it will be third time lucky Penny. It's still too soon for Kemi. That leaves Boris and his mandate as really the only possible front man for whatever coalition removes Sunak.

Give it up Lucky. Rishi is there until Election 24 and then the Tories will move on in Opposition (probably to Kemi but that's to be seen)

It's over for Boris, soz.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,915
    Scott_xP said:

@KennyFarq
    SNP pal earlier today: "We've got one candidate standing to be leader of the SNP, one standing to be leader of Alba, and one standing to be leader of the DUP."

Big tent, innit?
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,454
    Scott_xP said:

@KennyFarq
    SNP pal earlier today: "We've got one candidate standing to be leader of the SNP, one standing to be leader of Alba, and one standing to be leader of the DUP."

LOL.

BTW, an interesting article from a pro-Indy commentator.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/viewpoint/23349750.snp-pushing-progressive-voters-arms-labour/

"The bottom line is this: the SNP lied about what it really is; it showed one face to the people – a smiling, happy, cuddly, progressive face – when in reality, behind closed doors it was like an American family at Thanksgiving, with the lefty-liberals barely able to sit beside their Trump-supporting relatives."
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,345
    edited February 2023

There has to be a more than zero chance that Sunak's dismal decline schtick gets too much for the Tory Party. Hunt's budget will be risky - I think Sunak will quite like his newfound semi-popularity, so there may be some tax cuts in there, but if Hunt goes full 'crush the nation and decimate the PCP' mode, that will be bad news. Then there's the locals. Sunak's departure is unlikely, but not impossible.

In that instance, Boris is 'l'inevitable'. Clearly it cannot be Truss. It won't be a 'boring but safe caretaker' like May, because Sunak is meant to be the boring but safe caretaker, so his failure would represent the failure of that approach. I don't think it will be third time lucky Penny. It's still too soon for Kemi. That leaves Boris and his mandate as really the only possible front man for whatever coalition removes Sunak.

The only coalition that will remove Sunak is the electorate at the next GE

He is the grown up that may mitigate the losses in 24

You are simply not living in the real world if you think Johnson is to return in any capacity now or in the future

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

Jonathan said:

So son asks if NI can have access to the EU single market and the U.K market, why can’t the rest of the country.

It’s a hard one.

The rest of the country needs to start shooting and bombing Leavers.

It's the only way.
    You would be in for a shock when you discovered Leavers hold most of the weapons, soft lad.

Maybe Libya could send you some....

• Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,912
    Nice of Andrea Leadsom to tell companies who want access to the EU single market to invest in NI !

• Options

• Options
    edited February 2023

Sectarian violence (and the threat of its return) works!

At least the graphic is accurate about Wales voting to leave, people often omit that.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,878

One might also add a majority of MPs and MSPs, IIRC.

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,508
    GIN1138 said:

Give it up Lucky. Rishi is there until Election 24 and then the Tories will move on in Opposition (probably to Kemi but that's to be seen)

You mistake me as a Boris-ramper. My favourability toward him goes up and down a lot, but I agree with virtually everything negative anyone here says about him. He's certainly not who I want to be PM, and I was pretty glad when he copped it.

That said, I do think if Rishi goes before the next election, he's the only plausible alternative, and the closer to the election that is, the more that becomes the case. Since (hopefully?) even the most smitten Sunak groupie doesn’t think he has a 100% chance of surviving until the election, that means whatever there is out of that hundred is largely Boris's.
  • Options
    Taz said:

ohnotnow said:

kle4 said:

I suspect we can, given the obvious hatred and contempt Hislop has for him. Some other show, perhaps. But not that one.

(Has there been a telly show where the host is generally disliked and the fun is watching different guests abuse him each week? Sort of the I'm A Celeb dynamic, but studio bound and with no redemption arc?)
    It was like that in the Angus Deayton post-prozzie era. It wasn't comfortable viewing, and he soon had to go.

Though it was pretty obvious Merton disliked Deayton anyway (I used to watch a lot of old episodes when there loads on Youtube), and was often derisive of him in a way quite different to his banter with Hislop.
    I remember watching an interview with Merton and his disdain for Deayton was very apparent. Really quite a cold dislike of him and what he brought to the show.
    There was certainly resentment for the plaudits Deayton got when his gags and quips were mostly read from an autocue.
    I never got the feeling that Merton liked anyone very much.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762

Obviously not. Our revered host has clearly got a little overexcited because Rishi has had a good news day. Understandable given their rarity.

The butthurt emanating from you is glorious.
    This is funny.

I've read you (as our host, but beneath the line) describe Sunak as a "nob", and criticise me for being too Leavey, and I've had @Luckyguy1983 lose his shit and critique me for being "wet" as I wasn't willing to stay part of the Trussite praetorian guard. And now you fire missiles at each other. Despite the fact we're all aligned to the same party and probably have more in common than any in the opposition parties.

Conservatives are never happier than when attacking one another.

It's the reason we're in the state we're in.
    LOL.
    There’s perhaps a it more to it than that.
  • Options
    On topic, I think we can rule him out as next PM.

That's not to count him out forever, but he's buggered up his response on this, and I think the Parliamentary party at least are now sold on competence rather than charisma as their best hope.

If Sunak loses badly next year, which remains likely, and Johnson keeps his seat, he's back in the game. But not before then.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

At least the graphic is accurate about Wales voting to leave, people often omit that.
    That has always been FUDHY’s argument: NI gets special treatment because they use weapons and Scotland is treated with contempt because we are peaceful.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

You mistake me as a Boris-ramper. My favourability toward him goes up and down a lot, but I agree with virtually everything negative anyone here says about him. He's certainly not who I want to be PM, and I was pretty glad when he copped it.

That said, I do think if Rishi goes before the next election, he's the only plausible alternative, and the closer to the election that is, the more that becomes the case. Since (hopefully?) even the most smitten Sunak groupie doesn’t think he has a 100% chance of surviving until the election, that means whatever there is out of that hundred is largely Boris's.
    I am not a Sunak groupie, as you so disparaging say, but he is 100% certain to lead into GE 24 following yesterday's success
  • Options

kle4 said:

SNP Leadership Election Endorsements, state of play at 8pm on 28th of February. 3 candidates, meaning 106 endorsements available.

Not a single minister at Holyrood has, so far, backed Forbes. Yousaf has three cabinet secretaries and a number of junior ministers supporting him.

Notably, Ian Blackford, who represents the same patch of the Highlands as Kate, has declared for Humza.

As we have repeatedly seen, and very recently too, leaders who lack the support of their parliamentary colleagues invariably come to grief sooner or later.
    The sooner parties realise there's no real benefit to having the leader chosen by Members the better. Yes, Corbyn's surge saw Labour massively boost numbers, but it didn't help win an election, and the Tories haven't seen a surge since they started having members choose.

Cut them out, and if the only reason they were a party member was to have a vote for Leader are they that much of an asset? Members didn't used to care about it.
    Unfortunately the SNP (read: Sturgeon and Murrell and their helpers) have subverted internal party democracy so badly that a vote on the leader is one of the few meaningful perks remaining of being a member now.
    What were the other meaningful perks previously?

Asking as a fairly long term member.
  • Options

That's not to count him out forever, but he's buggered up his response on this, and I think the Parliamentary party at least are now sold on competence rather than charisma as their best hope.

If Sunak loses badly next year, which remains likely, and Johnson keeps his seat, he's back in the game. But not before then.

I think if that happens he'll have the feel of yesterday's man about him, and Kemi is far likelier.
  • Options

kle4 said:

We certainly didn't get a discount on Tunnock's wafers.
  • Options

kle4 said:

That has always been FUDHY’s argument: NI gets special treatment because they use weapons and Scotland is treated with contempt because we are peaceful.
    I do not understand why you have this silly habit of referring to @HYUFD as FUDHY

I have many disagreements with him but he deserves the respect of being addressed as HYUFD
  • Options
    Rishi is going in pretty aggressively on the deal, saying no more negotiations and it's what's on the table. That's it.

That means he must be very confident he's got the numbers and his position is secure.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Having a huge proportion of your trade with an EU member state works, and it's the practical issue of trade with Ireland that made it essential to come to a deal.

The fact is (and I'm genuinely sympathetic with Remain-voting Scots on this) that they are not in the same position as a vast amount of cross-border activity is with England.
  • Options

Taz said:

ohnotnow said:

kle4 said:

I never got the feeling that Merton liked anyone very much.
    Possibly, but there is a difference between not liking anyone very much, and actively disliking some people.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,386
    All that Boris Johnson was missing was for someone to act first to stiffen his resolve, a la David Davis after Chequers.
  • Options

Scotland should have taken the opportunity to have self-determination in 2014.

Since they rejected it, the fact that they voted to Remain in the EU is of no more significance than the fact that Liverpool did.
  • Options

I think if that happens he'll have the feel of yesterday's man about him, and Kemi is far likelier.
    Already happened to a large extent.

Not running in October 2022 was prudent and pragmatic but not pugnatious.

And now... has he said anything about the deal? You can make a case for supporting it, or for slamming it. But staying silent isn't the act of someone who is still in the game.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Not surprised to hear that.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jan/04/storm-in-a-teacake-scottish-nationalists-call-for-boycott-of-tunnocks

• Options

Rishi is going in pretty aggressively on the deal, saying no more negotiations and it's what's on the table. That's it.

That means he must be very confident he's got the numbers and his position is secure.

He's got the numbers and his position is secure, but not because of the deal, it already was and he already did.

Theresa May went in pretty aggressively on her deal, saying no more negotiations and its what's on the table too.
  • Options

kle4 said:

I do not understand why you have this silly habit of referring to @HYUFD as FUDHY

I have many disagreements with him but he deserves the respect of being addressed as HYUFD
    Respect a Francoist?

Fuck off.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jan/04/storm-in-a-teacake-scottish-nationalists-call-for-boycott-of-tunnocks

Sometimes a joke is wasted on people ...
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

They sent me a few sheets of SNP themed sticky address labels (my own details) which I thought might be useful but have in fact never used, and a bog standard yellow SNP ballpoint which has lasted ages so I can’t really complain. Apart from the odd letter and email they’re not bad on the old guilt trip thing.
  • Options

Already happened to a large extent.

Not running in October 2022 was prudent and pragmatic but not pugnatious.

And now... has he said anything about the deal? You can make a case for supporting it, or for slamming it. But staying silent isn't the act of someone who is still in the game.
    It seems uncharacteristically wise to me.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

One might also add a majority of MPs and MSPs, IIRC.

NI didn't get a special deal because it voted to Remain. NI got a special deal because of the Good Friday Agreement and the peace process.

If NI had voted 55% to Leave it would still have had to have a special deal to avoid a border on the island of Ireland.
  • Options

Since they rejected it, the fact that they voted to Remain in the EU is of no more significance than the fact that Liverpool did.
    Scots did vote for self-determination in 2014.
    Just as the Welsh did vote for remain in 2016.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Respect a Francoist?

Fuck off.
    I think that says more about you than me
  • Options

kle4 said:

Well, granted. I suppose the Sturgeon Christmas card thing might look a bit different this year.

I was rather thinking at least there used to be the thin veneer of illusion that the members could take part in and genuinely influence policy; that they could vote for whom they wanted for e.g. the NEC without seeing the rules changed to essentially allow all the people who the members had voted out back in just because; even fairly basic stuff like sending you party-wide emails (rather than local branch ones) vaguely sounding like the party knew what it was doing and what it was trying to achieve, that sort of thing. But yes, point taken.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    If Northern Ireland is entirely within the UK single market why the concerns of the DUP? Why is Rishi trying SO HARD to sell the deal as great for Northern Ireland? That won't win him (m)any votes at the next election.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

They sent me a few sheets of SNP themed sticky address labels (my own details) which I thought might be useful but have in fact never used, and a bog standard yellow SNP ballpoint which has lasted ages so I can’t really complain. Apart from the odd letter and email they’re not bad on the old guilt trip thing.
    Me too. I also once got a bright yellow recycled fabric bottle carrier with the SNP logo for shopping trips. But I never used it as an English friend was overjoyed when he saw it and carried it off for his shopping in Waitrose in Slough or wherever he gets his nosh from, to mess with the locals' heads. Mind, when he was a lad and came to stay with us, he used to change his banknotes carefully the day before he went home, so all his money was Scots. He loved the expressions on London taxi drivers' faces and the like ...
  • Options

kle4 said:

Respect a Francoist?

Fuck off.
    I think that says more about you than me
    That you request “respect” for a fascist says an awful lot about you.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

I would have thought that a yellow SNP emblazoned cardboard box in which to deposit sleepy newborns would be the least they could do.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,332

kle4 said:

Respect a Francoist?

Fuck off.
    So you don't respect yourself then? A bit sad.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356

Are we going the full Trump here?
  • Options

If Northern Ireland is entirely within the UK single market why the concerns of the DUP? Why is Rishi trying SO HARD to sell the deal as great for Northern Ireland? That won't win him (m)any votes at the next election.

Unforced error
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Jonathan said:

So son asks if NI can have access to the EU single market and the U.K market, why can’t the rest of the country.

It’s a hard one.

The rest of the country needs to start shooting and bombing Leavers.

It's the only way.
    Obviously that is the reason why the EU has bent the rules, but it does demonstrate that in practice the Four Freedoms are divisible. The question that we now need answered is can they be divided peacefully? The EU in the recent past has been adamant that the answer is no, but it is probably worth asking again if only to see if there has been any change of mood.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,001
    Off topic, but I think of interest to many on here. The excellent Storyville documentary, Truffle Hunters (about the the old boys and their dogs prowling the Piedmontese countryside for the precious fungi) disappears from iPlayer tomorrow. A beautiful, gentle film well worth and hour and a quarter of anyone’s time.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Not on me, old boy. But some PBers might not have been aware of the Tunnocks apostasy.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,744

He knows he's got the numbers because Labour will back it.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Not on me, old boy. But some PBers might not have been aware of the Tunnocks apostasy.
    Is this a wafer you to revive an old joke?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

More the full Anthony Flew.
  • Options

He will have the numbers anyway
  • Options

It would nonetheless be hugely embarrassing if it was Labour that got him over the line. I imagine they might mention it once or twice.
  • Options

Nationalists are all the same.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,272

Jonathan said:

It’s a hard one.

Its piss easy, NI is treated as if it is in the UK (which it is) and in Ireland (which is in the EU) so it gets both.

It is the same reason someone born in Belfast can have British citizenship and Irish citizenship, but someone born in Bristol can't.

What part of that is confusing.
    That makes no sense whatsoever if we are all citizens of a united kingdom.

It must be my age.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    DavidL said:

I think Stuart is implying that it woz the migrant English wot won it for Leave.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,821
    I think Sunak may get a polling bounce off this, perhaps the standard 5%.

Given the survey dates, I'm not really convinced the Deltapoll is the first sign of this rather than merely a pre-bounce outlet.
  • Options
    edited February 2023

DavidL said:

I think Stuart is implying that it woz the migrant English wot won it for Leave.
    Then he's an even bigger fool than I took him for. The key areas voting leave were the western Valleys and Wrexham, and there are very few English incomers there. No jobs to lure them.

In fact, the areas with the largest numbers of English incomers are the ones that went remain.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,371
    edited February 2023

NI was actually 56% Remain!
  • Options

Maybe. But she has nothing like his charisma. Can't stand the man, but a blustering arseholes go, he's the heavyweight champion of blustering arseholery.
  • Options

NI was actually 56% Leave!
    Typing error?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

I enjoyed it. If even one person laughed the comedians job is done.
  • Options
    It does occur to me that if Putin does something very stupid that puts the wind up the EU that a whole load of "it can never happen" sort of issues might rapidly become solvable.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

NI was actually 56% Leave!
    Typing error?
    The classic rule that when you seek to correct someone - spelling, grammar, etc - you are 100% guaranteed to make a mistake yourself.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,014

kle4 said:

The opportunity to propose a motion for Conference via your branch, have it accepted and debated. The opportunity to stand for National Executive even if you weren’t disabled, black or gay.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Your puns really do take the biscuit.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Typing error?
    It's been Corrected above, actually :)
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,371
    edited February 2023
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Typing error?
    The classic rule that when you seek to correct someone - spelling, grammar, etc - you are 100% guaranteed to make a mistake yourself.
    What error? :innocent:
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

You seem to be a Teacake short of a picnic!
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Went to a Sara Pascoe gig on Saturday.

She mentioned that she met Nigel Farage once and introduced herself: "Hi, I'm Sara Pascoe, I'm a comedian" to which Farage apparently replied "I don't find comedy funny".
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Says the man who muddled up remain and leave...
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

It’s a hard one.

The Leaver argument was that choosing better access to global markets - the Australia trade deal, the trans-Pacific one, etc - was better than having access to the Single Market. Consequently, paying the price of leaving the Single market would still pay off net, because of the global market access.

Let's put to one side for the moment whether this is true or not, because that argument has been done to death, but if for the sake of argument we assume it is true, then the reason NI is in such a great position is that it doesn't have to pay the price of losing Single Market access to gain Global Market access (via the UK market) - it can get both at once - but if the whole UK joined the Single Market it would have to give up the Global Market access.

I might disagree with the Leaver argument on a couple of points - I don't think the trade will result in a net benefit to the UK, and I think there was potential to get the EU to strike similar trade deals to get access to both markets from within the EU - but to a certain extent that's a matter of judgement that involves making predictions about the future. It's not a matter of fact that can be settled one way or the other. So I can certainly see a logical basis for the Leaver argument.

The smart-alec response of, "Why can't we all enjoy the benefits of Single Market access like NI?" just don't do it for me.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Went to a Sara Pascoe gig on Saturday. She mentioned that she met Nigel Farage once and introduced herself: "Hi, I'm Sara Pascoe, I'm a comedian" to which Farage apparently replied "I don't find comedy funny".
    "Humour - it is a difficult concept!" - Lt. Saavik.
  • Options
    glw said:

It does occur to me that if Putin does something very stupid that puts the wind up the EU that a whole load of "it can never happen" sort of issues might rapidly become solvable.

E.g. ?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Where?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,070

GIN1138 said:

There was never going to be a Bojo comeback.

Sunak is there until the general election and after the Tories are defeated in that election they will be wanting to move on to the next generation.

Quite so.

Boris Coming Back is and always was another rather overexcited PB Not Happening Event.
    I'm sorry, but I do think you need to admit guilt and add "Not Happening Event" to your own PB cliche list.
    Fair point. Added.

• Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Where?
    Northern Ireland!
  • Options

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

She mentioned that she met Nigel Farage once and introduced herself: "Hi, I'm Sara Pascoe, I'm a comedian" to which Farage apparently replied "I don't find comedy funny".
    Bodes badly for his upcoming one-man stand-up Edinburgh Fringe show.

Probably.
  • Options
    edited February 2023

Jonathan said:

It’s a hard one.

The Leaver argument was that choosing better access to global markets - the Australia trade deal, the trans-Pacific one, etc - was better than having access to the Single Market. Consequently, paying the price of leaving the Single market would still pay off net, because of the global market access.

Let's put to one side for the moment whether this is true or not, because that argument has been done to death, but if for the sake of argument we assume it is true, then the reason NI is in such a great position is that it doesn't have to pay the price of losing Single Market access to gain Global Market access (via the UK market) - it can get both at once - but if the whole UK joined the Single Market it would have to give up the Global Market access.

I might disagree with the Leaver argument on a couple of points - I don't think the trade will result in a net benefit to the UK, and I think there was potential to get the EU to strike similar trade deals to get access to both markets from within the EU - but to a certain extent that's a matter of judgement that involves making predictions about the future. It's not a matter of fact that can be settled one way or the other. So I can certainly see a logical basis for the Leaver argument.

The smart-alec response of, "Why can't we all enjoy the benefits of Single Market access like NI?" just don't do it for me.
    TLDR: The Leaver argument was lose access to the EU single market in the hope of gaining access to a global market that the EU could just as easily gain access to anyway?

Bollocks was it. The Leaver argument was 'we don't like the EU because it's the source of all our ills'.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Tbf Johnson had a struggle distinguishing them.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

It’s a hard one.

Its piss easy, NI is treated as if it is in the UK (which it is) and in Ireland (which is in the EU) so it gets both.

It is the same reason someone born in Belfast can have British citizenship and Irish citizenship, but someone born in Bristol can't.

It must be my age.
    Quantum mechanics is hard to understand and NI is almost as tricky.

We are citizens of a United Kingdom so are all equally a part of the UK market. NI citizens are citizens of Ireland as well as the United Kingdom not instead of it. So they get access to the Irish market and the UK market simultaneously.

The fact that NI is part of the Irish market as well as the UK market simultaneously doesn't make the UK any less UK, it just makes NI special as far as Ireland is concerned. If you're from Derby not Derry and want to be Irish then you can move to Dublin.
  • Options
    edited February 2023

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Bodes badly for his upcoming one-man stand-up Edinburgh Fringe show.

Probably.
    I remember when he came up to Edinburgh in indyref1 or Brexitref and he was challenged by a crowd led by a Labour activist and a leftie student.

The SNP got the blame in the London meida for the sheer cruelty of making Mr Farage hide in a pub for half an hour.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097
    edited February 2023

London voted Remain and has more people than Scotland and also left the EU and single market with the rest of GB, so what? What next? Special Deals for Remain voting Cheltenham, Oxford, Cambridge, Maidenhead and Tunbridge Wells and Godalming too?

Northern Ireland also has a border with an EU nation and the GFA to uphold, neither scenario applies to Scotland
  • Options

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

He doesn't find comedy funny?

Like, none of it?

I'm feeling a strange rush of emotions. First bewilderment, confusion. Then a touch of disbelief, perhaps even anger. And then pity. Pity for Nigel Farage! What an empty, dull, life not to find comedy funny.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

London has more people than Scotland and also left the EU and single market with the rest of GB, so what? What next? Special Deals for Remain voting Cheltenham, Maidenhead and Tunbridge Wells and Godalming too?

Northern Ireland also has a border with an EU nation and the GFA to uphold, neither scenario applies to Scotland
    Yes please!
  • Options

glw said:

E.g. ?
    So far Russia has mainly issued threats towards EU states, but what if they started following through? Not necessarily Article 5 time with Russian boots in a NATO member state, but hostages, cutting cables, shoot down a stray airliner, weapons factories catching fire, poison some dissidents etc. The EU might decide that closer relations with the UK, because like France we also have the bomb, are worth a bit more flexibility
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Where?
    Northern Ireland!
    Re-read my post upthread!
  • Options

Jonathan said:

It’s a hard one.

It must be my age.

We are citizens of a United Kingdom so are all equally a part of the UK market. NI citizens are citizens of Ireland as well as the United Kingdom not instead of it. So they get access to the Irish market and the UK market simultaneously.

The fact that NI is part of the Irish market as well as the UK market simultaneously doesn't make the UK any less UK, it just makes NI special as far as Ireland is concerned. If you're from Derby not Derry and want to be Irish then you can move to Dublin.
    Only if you have deep pockets. Have you seen rents in Dublin recently?
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Unless the Tories suffer heavy loss of council seats and councis in May I can't see Boris pushing for a VONC in Rishi. Even then I expect most Tory MPs would stick with Sunak
  • Options

Jonathan said:

It’s a hard one.

It must be my age.

You're allowed to know the speed of Northern Ireland with perfect precision but at the expense of the position, and vice-versa.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,070
    GIN1138 said:

kle4 said:

I have many disagreements with him but he

deserves the respect of being addressed as

HYUFD
    Have

You

Used

Funny

Drugs?

• Options

Jonathan said:

It’s a hard one.

TLDR: The Leaver argument was lose access to the EU single market in the hope of gaining access to a global market that the EU could just as easily gain access to anyway?

Bollocks was it. The Leaver argument was 'we don't like the EU because it's the source of all our ills'.
    LostPassword is right, the Leaver argument was that we can trade with the EU and gain better access to the global market too. Its right here in black and white: http://www.voteleavetakecontrol.org/briefing_trade.html

We will negotiate a new UK-EU deal based on free trade and friendly cooperation. We will carry on trading with Europe but we will also be able to negotiate trade agreements with other countries. This will help our economy grow and create more jobs.

You may want to dumb down the opposite side of a debate because it makes you feel superior, but it just shows ignorance if you can't understand what others are actually saying.
  • Options
    edited February 2023

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

He doesn't find comedy funny?

Like, none of it?

I'm feeling a strange rush of emotions. First bewilderment, confusion. Then a touch of disbelief, perhaps even anger. And then pity. Pity for Nigel Farage! What an empty, dull, life not to find comedy funny.
    Pretty much Sara Pascoe's point really. As she said, if he'd qualified it "I don't find female/modern/stand-up/political/slap-stick comedy funny" that would make sense. As it is it's a bit like saying I don't find pleasure enjoyable, or I don't find heat warm.
  • Options
    Now that Rishi has proved rhetoric is pointless will he now tone down attacking refugees and woke people?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

London voted Remain and has more people than Scotland and also left the EU and single market with the rest of GB, so what? What next? Special Deals for Remain voting Cheltenham, Oxford, Cambridge, Maidenhead and Tunbridge Wells and Godalming too?

When did London join the Union of equals?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,246

Jonathan said:

It’s a hard one.

Partly true, but also not wanting to be part of the EU political ambitions. It was never simple, and it’s unhelpful on all sides to make it so.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

When did Scotland?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scotland has a border with several EU nations. It's called the North Sea.

Political discourse has been all about the Irish Sea Border for years - including you most recently, this very day.

Same logic applies ...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

When did Scotland?
    Scotland confirmed it wanted to stay in the UK in 2014 in a once in a generation referendum
This discussion has been closed.