Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Give us unity – but not just yet – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited February 2023 in General
imageGive us unity – but not just yet – politicalbetting.com

The 2021 census data reported  that for the first time the catholic population was the largest religious group in Northern Ireland. Unsurprisingly Sinn Fein immediately began the push for a border poll. There was lots of noise and then towards the end of 2021 it all went quiet. 

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    NI never seems understood by English MPs, the Tory party's links with the DUP are likely to perpetuate (esp as BJ drifts into his money making schemes) holding back a chance for real engagement between Westminster and NI's political class, English voters over 50s still see NI through the prism of the troubles whilst the under 40s dont really know. As ever the outcome is a mess, just like the Protocol and EU...
    as we approach 25 years of the GFA I am not holding my breath of a breakthrough..more fudge and dollops of public money
  • Options
    Fans of Scottish subsamples (you know you really love them) have a real treat: SLab are miles ahead today! Enjoy.

SLab 39%
    SNP 32%
    SCon 16%
    SLD 6%
    Grn 4%
    oth 3%

(R&W; subsample size 130; fieldwork 18 February)

As a bonus, I’ll even Baxter that for you, just for old time’s sake (new boundaries):

SLab 36 seats (+35)
    SNP 11 seats (-37)
    SCon 7 seats (+1)
    SLD 3 seats (+1)

Alex Salmond and chums will be ecstatic.
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435

Fans of Scottish subsamples (you know you really love them) have a real treat: SLab are miles ahead today! Enjoy.

SLab 39%
    SNP 32%
    SCon 16%
    SLD 6%
    Grn 4%
    oth 3%

As a bonus, I’ll even Baxter that for you, just for old time’s sake (new boundaries):

SLab 36 seats (+35)
    SNP 11 seats (-37)
    SCon 7 seats (+1)
    SLD 3 seats (+1)

some sort of SLAB (and English Lab) fantasy dream if you ask me.....
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,285
    Eecellent and eye opening article, @Alanbrooke .
    Made me realise how ignorant I am of Irish opinion; I'd no idea how ungenerous the attitude of the South is in respect of reunification.
    Do those in the north seeking reunification share Stuart's blithe assumptions about how those attitudes might change ?
  • Options
    If it's Biden v Trump next year, this contrast might swing a few votes.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/MichaelSteele/status/1627679035999281158
  • Options
    Suggestion that the Storm Shadow is the long range weapon Sunak has recently said he'll supply to Ukraine.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1627888845785276418

Seems credible, as it's quite easily integrated with most airframes, and can be launched from fairly low altitude.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

F1: Stroll injured, slightly, in cycling accident. Will miss the test and maybe the first race.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/64709945
  • Options
    A friend once explained how American understanding of the Irish situation is 100% wrong. The common belief is that the North wants to join the South, the South wants to have the North and it’s the British who want to stop them. In reality, the North doesn’t want to join the South, who wouldn’t touch the North with a barge poll and the British would get shot of the North in a heartbeat. Interesting thread header.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Suggestion that the Storm Shadow is the long range weapon Sunak has recently said he'll supply to Ukraine.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1627888845785276418

Seems credible, as it's quite easily integrated with most airframes, and can be launched from fairly low altitude.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidaxe/2023/02/20/ukraine-should-have-no-problem-arming-its-old-soviet-jets-with-new-british-cruise-missiles/?sh=377f18a25541

https://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/2022/11/storm-shadow/

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,488
    Good article on an interesting subject, a century on from partition. Reunification presents problems of course, but so does the status quo, with the current situation not tenable either. Apart from the NI protocol issues, it is impossible long term to have a statelet where the elected representatives refuse to participate in government.

The Good Friday agreement was essential in its time but has rather fossilised structures and parties in attitudes that need to change over time to bring real peace.

On flags, I do rather like the Irish tricolour, symbolising the white of peace between the orange of Unionism and green of Nationalism.

• Options
    Lovely little article, Alan. What can one do but agree?

A friend once explained how American understanding of the Irish situation is 100% wrong. The common belief is that the North wants to join the South, the South wants to have the North and it’s the British who want to stop them. In reality, the North doesn’t want to join the South, who wouldn’t touch the North with a barge poll and the British would get shot of the North in a heartbeat. Interesting thread header.

Absolutely right, Carlotta.

I remember an Irish friend astonishing a small group of Americans by informing them, correctly, that 'you couldn't make a present of the six counties - to anybody'. Ireland wouldn't want them, and the North wouldn't want to go, despite anything that might be said publicly.
  • Options
    Anne Applebaum:

Biden’s visit to Kyiv is intended to offer a bracing contrast, and a different message: If the U.S. president is willing to take this personal risk, if the U.S. government is willing to invest this effort, then time is not on Russia’s side after all. He is putting everyone on notice, including the defense ministries and the defense industries, that the paradigm has shifted and the story has changed. The old “normal” is not coming back.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2023/02/biden-trip-ukraine-kyiv/673134/
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,752
    Nigelb said:

Made me realise how ignorant I am of Irish opinion; I'd no idea how ungenerous the attitude of the South is in respect of reunification.
    Do those in the north seeking reunification share Stuart's blithe assumptions about how those attitudes might change ?

The IT/IPSOS surveys looked at attitudes after 100 years of partition, I found lots of surprises as I read through the data. The southern views were to me some of the more interesting as there is little to no groundwork completed on what would be coming at them. Ive said before the economic mismatch is the biggest headache. However the cultural and social attitudes were also quite notable. I suspect it's not just the unionists who would bristle in a new arrangement but NI nationalists would also get a shock. A century of separate development has left big gaps in understanding between NI and RoI and nobody is really trying to bridge them.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Below-the-line he’s a typical mediocre PB know-it-all and contrarian,

Would you list “self awareness” among your strengths?
    It was one of the best examples of self-delusion I've ever read on here.
  • Options
    Lovely little article, Alan. What can one do but agree?

Edit: Sorry about the duplication. Not sure what happened there. It is early.
  • Options

But you have to admit he's a warm and generous soul, CV.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Good article on an interesting subject, a century on from partition. Reunification presents problems of course, but so does the status quo, with the current situation not tenable either. Apart from the NI protocol issues, it is impossible long term to have a statelet where the elected representatives refuse to participate in government.

The Good Friday agreement was essential in its time but has rather fossilised structures and parties in attitudes that need to change over time to bring real peace.

On flags, I do rather like the Irish tricolour, symbolising the white of peace between the orange of Unionism and green of Nationalism.

HMG should start by not paying the NI politicians their salaries since they dont sit. It would help focus minds.
    Better still, don't pay the DUP reps, as the others were keen enough.
    SF collaped the assembly in 2017 and werent keen until they got the FM job at the most recent election. Pay none of them.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,567
    edited February 2023
    Increasing number of SNP politicians making clear their discomfort with Kate Forbes comments on gay marriage. This MSP had been backing Kate Forbes.

Others saying similar privately.

Feels like her campaign is in serious trouble already.

https://twitter.com/nickeardleybbc/status/1627930807095394304?s=20

We must be full throated in our support of equal marriage. No if or buts. I won’t be supporting Kate’s campaign on that basis. I wish her well- she’s extremely talented. But I have red lines. And this is one.

https://twitter.com/GillianMSP/status/1627918004523507713?s=20
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,094
    edited February 2023

Surprisingly good article from Alan. Below-the-line he’s a typical mediocre PB know-it-all and contrarian, but this is one of the best above-the-line PB posts in months (the general standard is staggeringly poor).

Leaving aside the dodgy linguistic map and conclusion, his basic points are sound. The Republic must compromise, embrace and forgive. (Ditto the Unionists, but the focus is rightly on the adults here, not the bairns.)

Ditch the tricolour and adopt a genuinely Irish symbol (I dislike nearly all tricolours - and there are lots of them - except the French one).

Most nations’ anthems are absolute shite, and Amhrán na bhFiann is typically dreadful. Irish music is tremendously full of vitality. It ought to be easy to find something attractive and jaunty.

On “rejoining” the Commonwealth, hard to see how a country can “rejoin” an organisation it has never been a member of. When Ireland de jure left in 1936 it was still the British Empire. De facto it had left over a decade prior to that. The British Empire was many (repulsive) things, but it was never a body which had “members”. However, the basic point is sound: there is no harm whatsoever in the reunited Ireland being a member of the modern Commonwealth. (There is bugger all use in it either, but throw the antediluvian bairns a bone and let them enjoy their chew.)

The above points are all symbolic, and thus essentially trivial and childish. But such things are the bread and butter of Unionist “thinking” (ahem). As far as the more substantive points are concerned:

1. Of course parties elected to the reunified legislature by northern voters must be allowed to fully participate in the work of the house, including in coalition governments. See Finland for a good example of this in practice, where it is hard to conceive of a Finnish government which does not include the Swedish People's Party of Finland (Svenska folkpartiet i Finland).

2. Reunification is going to need a budget. It should be viewed as a wise, long-term investment, not a cost.

Conservatism has served the Irish very poorly. All of the Irish. The nation is far more attractive and successful when she shows her more liberal attributes. The gist of Alan’s article is correct: both sides need to ditch entrenched attitudes and embrace change and with it progress. The effort is worth it.

The Commonwealth was founded in 1931 to accommodate those dominions given full independence under the Statute of Westminster within the economic structures of the continuing empire, especially the Sterling area. Ireland remained a member of it until 1949.

As for the negative comments you make about PB, if you hate it that much, why are you still here? After all, your comments are almost all (like that one) complete nonsense based on prejudice and have never added anything to our debates except some unintentional humour.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,834

Increasing number of SNP politicians making clear their discomfort with Kate Forbes comments on gay marriage. This MSP had been backing Kate Forbes.

We must be full throated in our support of equal marriage. No if or buts. I won’t be supporting Kate’s campaign on that basis. I wish her well- she’s extremely talented. But I have red lines. And this is one.

This I find difficult to understand. There was a free vote on the subject, which passed and is now enacted. The candidate isn’t saying she will try and repeal this law, she’s merely saying that she would have voted with her conscience.
  • Options

Would be ironic if she's buggered by her attitude to gay marriage.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

A pity. Clearly some religious beliefs are less acceptable than others these days.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

F1: Stroll injured, slightly, in cycling accident. Will miss the test and maybe the first race.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/64709945

Aston Martin's prospects of a decent finish at once improve...
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,219
    felix said:

A pity. Clearly some religious beliefs are less acceptable than others these days.
    ?? this is about equal marriage
  • Options
    edited February 2023

Foxy said:

HMG should start by not paying the NI politicians their salaries since they dont sit. It would help focus minds.
    SF collaped the assembly in 2017 and werent keen until they got the FM job at the most recent election. Pay none of them.
    My experience of Northern Irish parties is limited - I know more about their Westminster branches. But from what I have seen, my guess is that if you refused to pay the MLAs or indeed MPs who refuse to take their seats or participate in power sharing there would be a functioning Stormont and a queue to take the Oath quicker than you can say 'No Surrender.'
  • Options

Yes.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

My experience of Northern Irish parties is limited - I know more about their Westminster branches. But from what I have seen, my guess is that if you refused to pay the MLAs or indeed MPs who refuse to take their seats or participate in power sharing there would be a functioning Stormont and a queue to take the Oath quicker than you can say 'No Surrender.'
    Given most NI voters find their representatives as tedious as mainlanders do, it would also be quite popular.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,914
    felix said:

For example, some people think adulterers shouldn't be stoned to death.
  • Options
    Good news for the Australian team as well:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/david-warner-ruled-out-of-final-two-tests-due-to-elbow-fracture-1360133

They can now play somebody who might score some actual runs...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

felix said:

For example, some people think adulterers shouldn't be stoned to death.
    Is that because @TSE thinks they (well, Charles) should be garrotted instead? :wink:
  • Options
    A pleasure to publish this piece.

I have an Irish American friend who is convinced that when the moment arrives America will cover the cost of reunification.

• Options

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Given most NI voters find their representatives as tedious as mainlanders do, it would also be quite popular.
    Well they need to vote for people less tedious!

Yes, if you stop money flowing to politicians who don’t take their seats, they’ll eventually need to go back to work - if only to keep themselves and their staff paying their mortgages!
  • Options

I have an Irish American friend who is convinced that when the moment arrives America will cover the cost of reunification.

Well, they call their currency the Green back.
  • Options
    Good article @Alanbrooke.

Eire want, sentimentally, to annex Northern Ireland at no cost to themselves.

That isn't on the table. So it won't happen.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,810

SLab 39%
    SNP 32%
    SCon 16%
    SLD 6%
    Grn 4%
    oth 3%

SLab 36 seats (+35)
    SNP 11 seats (-37)
    SCon 7 seats (+1)
    SLD 3 seats (+1)

about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

This I find difficult to understand. There was a free vote on the subject, which passed and is now enacted. The candidate isn’t saying she will try and repeal this law, she’s merely saying that she would have voted with her conscience.
    But it's an exemplar of how she might act on similar issues coming up in the future.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/david-warner-ruled-out-of-final-two-tests-due-to-elbow-fracture-1360133

I’m having a brain fade this morning.

Can you suggest a messy WWI Western Front battle that isn’t The Battle of Somme.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Well they need to vote for people less tedious!

Yes, if you stop money flowing to politicians who don’t take their seats, they’ll eventually need to go back to work - if only to keep themselves and their staff paying their mortgages!
    If Eamonn de Valera and Fianna Fáil could find a way around taking the oath in the 1920s, you would have thought Sinn Fein could manage it now.
  • Options
    Two more supporters ‘dis-endorse’ Kate Forbes for SNP Leader.

Her campaign in serious peril this morning following equal marriage comments to
    @Channel4News and @TheScotsman yesterday.

https://twitter.com/C4Ciaran/status/1627937528392065025?s=20

One already noted upthread.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Can you suggest a messy WWI Western Front battle that isn’t The Battle of Somme.
    Passchendaele.
  • Options
    I guess the likes of John Redwood will argue this means tax cuts are affordable.

The UK government recorded a surprise surplus in its finances in January despite "substantial spending" to help households with energy bills and one-off payments to the EU.

The government spent less than it received in tax in the month, resulting in a surplus of £5.4bn.

Economists had forecast borrowing of £7.9bn, but record self-assessed income tax receipts led to the surplus.

The figures come as the government is set to deliver its Budget next month.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64705051
  • Options

Surprisingly good article from Alan. Below-the-line he’s a typical mediocre PB know-it-all and contrarian, but this is one of the best above-the-line PB posts in months (the general standard is staggeringly poor).

Leaving aside the dodgy linguistic map and conclusion, his basic points are sound. The Republic must compromise, embrace and forgive. (Ditto the Unionists, but the focus is rightly on the adults here, not the bairns.)

Ditch the tricolour and adopt a genuinely Irish symbol (I dislike nearly all tricolours - and there are lots of them - except the French one).

Most nations’ anthems are absolute shite, and Amhrán na bhFiann is typically dreadful. Irish music is tremendously full of vitality. It ought to be easy to find something attractive and jaunty.

On “rejoining” the Commonwealth, hard to see how a country can “rejoin” an organisation it has never been a member of. When Ireland de jure left in 1936 it was still the British Empire. De facto it had left over a decade prior to that. The British Empire was many (repulsive) things, but it was never a body which had “members”. However, the basic point is sound: there is no harm whatsoever in the reunited Ireland being a member of the modern Commonwealth. (There is bugger all use in it either, but throw the antediluvian bairns a bone and let them enjoy their chew.)

The above points are all symbolic, and thus essentially trivial and childish. But such things are the bread and butter of Unionist “thinking” (ahem). As far as the more substantive points are concerned:

1. Of course parties elected to the reunified legislature by northern voters must be allowed to fully participate in the work of the house, including in coalition governments. See Finland for a good example of this in practice, where it is hard to conceive of a Finnish government which does not include the Swedish People's Party of Finland (Svenska folkpartiet i Finland).

2. Reunification is going to need a budget. It should be viewed as a wise, long-term investment, not a cost.

Conservatism has served the Irish very poorly. All of the Irish. The nation is far more attractive and successful when she shows her more liberal attributes. The gist of Alan’s article is correct: both sides need to ditch entrenched attitudes and embrace change and with it progress. The effort is worth it.

Stuart

jibes aside NI is essentially a fight between the scots and the irish with both agreeing to blame the english and make them pay for it. The linguisitic map illustrates the cultural difference of Uster from the south. The north has a primarily scottish culture whether catholic or protestant and thats one of the reasons Uster people are seen as confrontational, stubborn and all round in your face. On the other hand when youve gained acceptance ( not easy ) theyre seen as warm hearted and generous. Sound familiar ?
    VG.
  • Options
    kamski said:

felix said:

Mince it is about bigoted halfwits who are dribbling and butt licking for any old religious nutjob but horrified that a religious Scottish person has principles.
  • Options

I guess the likes of John Redwood will argue this means tax cuts are affordable.

The UK government recorded a surprise surplus in its finances in January despite "substantial spending" to help households with energy bills and one-off payments to the EU.

The government spent less than it received in tax in the month, resulting in a surplus of £5.4bn.

Economists had forecast borrowing of £7.9bn, but record self-assessed income tax receipts led to the surplus.

Since when did he need an excuse for that?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,232
    edited February 2023
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Passchendaele.
    Oops, I mean that isn’t Marne, Ypres, Verdun, Somme, or Passchendaele.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

kamski said:

felix said:

Mince it is about bigoted halfwits who are dribbling and butt licking for any old religious nutjob but horrified that a religious Scottish person has principles.
    Morning Malc, hope those turnips are locked and loaded. You may need a few today!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

The bigots don't like it
  • Options

Sandpit said:

But it's an exemplar of how she might act on similar issues coming up in the future.
    The horrors of a free vote on moral issues, as opposed to MSPs being told by the whips what to think?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Passchendaele.
    Loos?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

SLab 39%
    SNP 32%
    SCon 16%
    SLD 6%
    Grn 4%
    oth 3%

SLab 36 seats (+35)
    SNP 11 seats (-37)
    SCon 7 seats (+1)
    SLD 3 seats (+1)

about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike.
    Agreed.

On the topic of ash, what do you make of Regan?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,200
    Sandpit said:

Private belief isn’t private anymore.

You must be loyal to the faith, to the bone.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,878
    It's over for Forbes.

Now the media will be doing everything they can to trip Yousaf up on GRR.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,049

Nigelb said:

The IT/IPSOS surveys looked at attitudes after 100 years of partition, I found lots of surprises as I read through the data. The southern views were to me some of the more interesting as there is little to no groundwork completed on what would be coming at them. Ive said before the economic mismatch is the biggest headache. However the cultural and social attitudes were also quite notable. I suspect it's not just the unionists who would bristle in a new arrangement but NI nationalists would also get a shock. A century of separate development has left big gaps in understanding between NI and RoI and nobody is really trying to bridge them.
    Leo Varadkar, for all his many other faults, is the only politician in the Republic who has gone near the topic of compromise, and has floated the idea of a new flag, anthem, etc, but no-one is willing to listen. And even he didn't mention joining the Commonwealth.

The story in the Republic is pretty simple. As far as they're concerned the North was stolen by the British, and the flag is already a unifying symbol between Unionism and Nationalism, so there's nothing they need to do to compromise. The centenary reflections haven't seen any challenge to this narrative as far as I've noticed.

The poll was interesting. Despite what you sometimes hear about Brexit accelerating the timetable for reunification, it seems pretty clear that it's still at least a generation away (a proper generation of 20-30 years).
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Passchendaele.
    Loos?
    Too much toilet humour.

I’m trying to write a work report with a WWI reference for a bloody battle that isn’t one of the bleeding obvious.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

It's over for Forbes.

I'm waiting for some part of a journalist to ask if men should be allowed to wear skirts, and get the retort, 'well Highlanders have been doing so since the early eighteenth century.'
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Since when did he need an excuse for that?
    Isn't essence of Redwood that all tax cuts pay for themselves?
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,430
    edited February 2023

ydoethur said:

Passchendaele was the messiest one.

EDIT I see we’re looking for more obscure.

The current Ukraine war has thrown up some pretty messy battles that will doubtless be remembered for a long time.
  • Options
    edited February 2023

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Passchendaele.
    Loos?
    Too much toilet humour.

I’m trying to write a work report with a WWI reference for a bloody battle that isn’t one of the bleeding obvious.
    Vimy Ridge might be your best bet.

Or just Arras more generally.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

It's over for Forbes.

Yousaf is going to be a shoo-in at this rate, unless someone new throws their name into the hat pronto.

Your second sentence is true whoever wins. The MSM is rabidly BritNat and that is not going to change pre-independence.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Passchendaele.
    Loos?
    Too much toilet humour.

We have a winner.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,094
    There was a budget surplus in January. That should set the cat amongst the pigeons.

• Options

LOL

Im on for the US roundly fking Ireland. Biden will be the last of the US Irish caucus presidents.

The US will be a minority white nation in about 20 years and that will change the nature of politics. Parties will chase the growing categories of latinos and asian swing voters and the Irish vote just wont have the same importance. Add in that Ireland is a parasite on US tax income and I can see a bust up at some point. My biggest surprise on Trump was that he didnt force the Tech Cos to pay their taxes at home. It will probably be some cash strapped Democrat who does the deed thus wiping out about 25% of Irish GDP.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,567
    edited February 2023
    #exclusive in today’s Mail: Police Scotland quit controversial #Stonewall workplace diversity index #police Read more on #MailPlus 👉 https://newspaperscotland.mailplus.co.uk/data/1911/reader/reader.html

https://twitter.com/GrahamGGrant/status/1627611789616611329?s=20

Police Scotland is understood to be the first high-profile Scottish public body to have quit the scheme, which has attracted the support of the Scottish Government - currently 89th on Stonewall’s top 100 employers index.

In 2021, the BBC announced that it was withdrawing from Stonewall’s diversity champions scheme amid concerns about impartiality.

Other organisations which have left include the House of Commons, the Equalities and Human Rights Commission, the House of Lords and Ofcom.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,972
    Look where the Fascist Mega Karen and Socially Conservative Shitbag/Mr Bean Impersonator had their meeting in Warszawa.

More proof, if any were needed, that Tolkien should be cancelled ASAFP.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

It's over for Forbes.

So who do they end up with as leader?
    Sturgeon - quitting
    Forbes - bed-shitting
    Robertson - hiding
    Yousaf - useless
    The other one - image problem
    Salmond - ineligible unless things get desperate

So we need Westminster refugees to run. Cherry, Black, Flynn. "I'm leading from Westminster to put our case to the English" said the winner. "While I'm doon the road, here is my leader in Holyrood, a rising young star, Nicola Sturgeon."
  • Options

FFS it is only one of Sturgeon's butt lickers, they really are desperate.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Dura_Ace said:

Look where the Fascist Mega Karen and Socially Conservative Shitbag/Mr Bean Impersonator had their meeting in Warszawa.

More proof, if any were needed, that Tolkien should be cancelled ASAFP.

Amusing that she's crowned by Barad-dûr in that photo.

Edit - ah, it's Orodruin. Ruins the metaphor. Nobody's going to think her brain is full of hot stuff.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Leo Varadkar, for all his many other faults, is the only politician in the Republic who has gone near the topic of compromise, and has floated the idea of a new flag, anthem, etc, but no-one is willing to listen. And even he didn't mention joining the Commonwealth.

The story in the Republic is pretty simple. As far as they're concerned the North was stolen by the British, and the flag is already a unifying symbol between Unionism and Nationalism, so there's nothing they need to do to compromise. The centenary reflections haven't seen any challenge to this narrative as far as I've noticed.

The poll was interesting. Despite what you sometimes hear about Brexit accelerating the timetable for reunification, it seems pretty clear that it's still at least a generation away (a proper generation of 20-30 years).
    I’ve often commented on the fact that, during the Troubles, polling showed that a substantial portion of those voting for SF would vote against a United Ireland.

So people voting for a party commited to paramilitary violence to achieve an end - rejected that goal.
  • Options
    Mr. Doethur, Stroll has his moments (Azerbaijan podium, wet pole in Turkey).
  • Options

LOL

Im on for the US roundly fking Ireland. Biden will be the last of the US Irish caucus presidents.

The US will be a minority white nation in about 20 years and that will change the nature of politics. Parties will chase the growing categories of latinos and asian swing voters and the Irish vote just wont have the same importance. Add in that Ireland is a parasite on US tax income and I can see a bust up at some point. My biggest surprise on Trump was that he didnt force the Tech Cos to pay their taxes at home. It will probably be some cash strapped Democrat who does the deed thus wiping out about 25% of Irish GDP.
    The era of Ireland being a parasite on US tax income is ending pretty soon. The end of the really aggressive structures s few years ago (like double Irish), the coming pillar 2 global minimum tax, the US rate reduction to 21%, the FDII regime and now the humongous tax giveaways under the inflation reduction act (the only IRA American taxpayers are funding these days) have all pretty much reversed the flow.

Whole of Europe is going to be seeing capital outflow back to the US over the next few years.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

It's over for Forbes.

Yousaf is going to be a shoo-in at this rate, unless someone new throws their name into the hat pronto.

Your second sentence is true whoever wins. The MSM is rabidly BritNat and that is not going to change pre-independence.
    Scotland is really really fecked if that useless twat gets anywhere near being FM. I would vote Tory rather than for a party led by such a useless git.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,346
    DougSeal said:

There was a budget surplus in January. That should set the cat amongst the pigeons.

I like this line from the report:

"They show that public borrowing in the financial year to date is £30.6bn less than predicted by the Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR), the government's official forecaster. "

• Options
    edited February 2023
    malcolmg said:

Eabhal said:

It's over for Forbes.

Scotland is really really fecked if that useless twat gets anywhere near being FM. I would vote Tory rather than for a party led by such a useless git.
    Bookmarked for future reference...

In alls seriousness, given his appalling track record I can't see how Yousaf would be anything other than a disaster for both Scotland and the SNP. He makes Liz Truss look competent.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Eabhal said:

It's over for Forbes.

I’m bookmarking this one
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

Eabhal said:

It's over for Forbes.

In alls seriousness, given his appalling track record I can't see how Yousaf would be anything other than a disaster for both Scotland and the SNP. He makes Liz Truss look competent.
    What’s he done? I don’t follow this stuff closely enough.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

There always is. It’s the month everyone pays their self assessment tax.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

The real worry would be if there wasn’t a surplus in January, given how many high-earning people pay their annual tax bill that month.

Won’t help the Chancellor with his party though, who want to see coming tax rises deferred.
  • Options
    TimS said:

DougSeal said:

Ah! Makes sense
  • Options
    TimS said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

Eabhal said:

It's over for Forbes.

The three most obvious ones that spring to mind are interfering in a trial while Justice Minister, tweeting his support for Sturgeon's car crash 'I don't recall' performance and accusing her critics of lying to parliament, and accusing a nursery that couldn't find a place for his infant of racism, because they would have let him in if he was white, and suing them for years before dropping the case on the grounds that he'd been talking bullshit.

Plus I don't think anyone will look back on his time as Health Minister with especial fondness given the state of the Scottish NHS. He claimed that Covid cases were soaring among children, when they were not, for example.

He's untrustworthy, arrogant and not very bright. He's also totally incompetent.

This doesn't disbar him from high office, of course - look at Johnson and Cummings - but it would make it to put it mildly difficult for him to be successful in it.

About the only thing he's got going for him is he's not as useless as Swinney.
  • Options
    TimS said:

DougSeal said:

A terrible and indeed outrageous lie. The surplus is because of the absolute brilliance of Sunak, Hunt and their loyal supporters. Don't forget to vote Conservative in May.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,928
    edited February 2023

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Passchendaele.
    Loos?
    Too much toilet humour.

We have a winner.
    Yes, was going to suggest the Battle of Arras (of which the Vimy Ridge battle was one part) more generally.

Wikipedia quote: “The British achieved the longest advance since trench warfare had begun, surpassing the record set by the French Sixth Army on 1 July 1916. The British advance slowed in the next few days and the German defence recovered. The battle became a costly stalemate for both sides”

My wife’s great uncle died on Vimy Ridge, so there’s a family conection. They went out to his grave a few years ago.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,567
    edited February 2023
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Passchendaele.
    Loos?
    Too much toilet humour.

Third Wipers?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,032
    malcolmg said:

Eabhal said:

It's over for Forbes.

I would wager quite a few of us suspect in the privacy of the polling booth, that is exactly what you do.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Passchendaele.
    Loos?
    Too much toilet humour.

Third Wipers?
    I suggested that at the start but TSE wanted something different.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,049
    DougSeal said:

TimS said:

DougSeal said:

Ah! Makes sense
    Still, about a £12bn difference between a predicted deficit and the actual surplus takes a bit of explaining.
  • Options
    Bit surprised that Borussia Dortmund are now tied on points with Bayern Munich. I think I backed them (Dortmund) pre-season, but my records got scattered.

Also wondering if Manchester United for the EPL title might be worth a look, around 11 on Ladbrokes.

Currently, backed Arsenal, Napoli (Serie A, currently a 15 point lead), and Dortmund. Oh, and Lens/Marseille but I think Lens is gone forever, and Marseille *might* be still in with a shot.
  • Options

Foxy said:

TBF they are doing constituency business, and the DUP are mouthing off in public, all part of the job.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Passchendaele.
    Loos?
    Too much toilet humour.

Third Wipers?
    I suggested that at the start but TSE wanted something different.
    Yep, but different name.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    ydoethur said:

TimS said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

Eabhal said:

It's over for Forbes.

The three most obvious ones that spring to mind are interfering in a trial while Justice Minister, tweeting his support for Sturgeon's car crash 'I don't recall' performance and accusing her critics of lying to parliament, and accusing a nursery that couldn't find a place for his infant of racism, because they would have let him in if he was white, and suing them for years before dropping the case on the grounds that he'd been talking bullshit.

Plus I don't think anyone will look back on his time as Health Minister with especial fondness given the state of the Scottish NHS. He claimed that Covid cases were soaring among children, when they were not, for example.

He's untrustworthy, arrogant and not very bright. He's also totally incompetent.

This doesn't disbar him from high office, of course - look at Johnson and Cummings - but it would make it to put it mildly difficult for him to be successful in it.

Why not education minister, next? Seems made for the role.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,032
    TimS said:

DougSeal said:

One would have hoped "Economists" would have already factored that in.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,317
    Interesting and persuasive header, Alan - thanks. Are there interim solutions that could be considered short of union - some sort of confederation with NI largely self-governing but with support from both UK and Eire? Do DUP voters prefer government from Westminster to self-government?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

TimS said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

Eabhal said:

It's over for Forbes.

Impressive record. And impressive knowledge for someone living under a completely different devolved administration.
  • Options

TimS said:

DougSeal said:

One would have hoped "Economists" would have already factored that in.
    It’s still better than forecast, entirely because the gas price is lower than expected.
  • Options
    felix said:

Is that a surprise to you ?
    The Bible also has a great deal to say about the control of women by men. Is it a pity that believing in those teachings is unacceptable today ?
This discussion has been closed.