Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Nikki Haley to fight Trump for the WH2024 GOP nomination – politicalbetting.com

124»

Comments

• Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779
    tyson said:

Leon said:

Tres said:

No St Petersburg?

Good call. The hermitage is amazing. Easily equal to the Prado
    We have a few narcissistic Personality Disorders on this site....Sean you are way ahead on points. Get some therapy and avoid being a dick

Alas for me the treasures of St Petersburg are not to be seen. At the start of this Ukraine nonsense I vowed never to do business with any Russians forevermore. I'm going to stick with that.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,524

How exciting.

Steve McQueen is making a film for Apple TV called “Blitz”, starring Saoirse Ronan, Stephen Graham and Paul Weller.

Currently being filmed so will be a while I guess before release.

I'm obviously 40 years out of date on my Steve McQueens.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    TimS said:

I’m coming late to the travel vs not travel discussion.

I would put it down to habit. Same as lots of other things. I don’t go to the pub much these days. Why? No obvious reason, I always enjoy it when I do, but I got out of the habit.

I’ve recently been strong-arming the family into getting back into longer haul holidays after the regular French home trips of younger childhood, but breaking the habit takes effort.

Habit. We tend to do what we’ve always done.

The pub broadens the mind sometimes. Certainly The Cock in Kilburn does.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    While I am talking about narcissism, I think our very own SeanT falls into complete insignificance compared to Lee Anderson.

Talking about someone who just loves attention no matter how he gets it.....I bet you he's a fucking nightmare for anyone around him....
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    tyson said:

While I am talking about narcissism, I think our very own SeanT falls into complete insignificance compared to Lee Anderson.

Talking about someone who just loves attention no matter how he gets it.....I bet you he's a fucking nightmare for anyone around him....

Well, the aide he touted on social media (the one who didn’t need a food bank) has already left him. (Or been “let go”, it’s not clear).
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,032
    edited February 2023
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Anyone who doesn’t have anchoring responsibilities at home (job, kids, stupid pets) and who has money and who ISN”T travelling is an idiot

Travel is all there is, in the end, along with love and art. The new, the fascinating, the challenging, the strange. It is the best. It doesn’t just broaden the mind it enriches it in an intoxicating way, like adding wine to a sauce, like lashing burning booze on the stodgy Christmas pud

You have one life. Go see the world before your knees give out

Doing my first international trip for 4 years next week. Going to Madrid for the first time.
    Enjoy! Madrid has the best fine art holdings, handily accessible in three key museums, of any city in Europe bar Paris.

If that’s your thing.
    That’s absolutely not true

London, Rome and probably Vienna outclass Madrid by a distance

No museum in the world can match the Louvre, but that is because the French decided to put so much of their best shit in one museum, the Louvre. The Musee d’Orsay is mightily impressive; the Pompidou is fun

London is more diverse and dispersed. The National Gallery is tiny compared to the Louvre but it has amazing masterpieces. the British Museum is OMG. Tate Modern and Tate Britain are good

London then comes up with these tiny brilliant galleries which would be world famous elsewhere. The Wallace. Dulwich. The Courtauld. Kenwood. Even the Sir John Soane

in totality it is hard to choose between London,New York and Paris as to which has the best art/artefacts . They outclass any other cities, I’d put Rome next, then Vienna, then maybe Madrid or Florence
    Kenwood/Frick/Jacquesmart-André.

Petworth for a day in the country

You can leave the big museums
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,801

https://twitter.com/politlcsuk/status/1625545265955409920

NEW: Lee Anderson has said the Tories will only win if they fight the next election on the "trans debate"

FFS. These are human beings. The man is pathetic.

Given the recent news from Warrington about a possible hate crime Anderson is fast becoming even more loathsome . What a vile human being .
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    Tres said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Anyone who doesn’t have anchoring responsibilities at home (job, kids, stupid pets) and who has money and who ISN”T travelling is an idiot

Travel is all there is, in the end, along with love and art. The new, the fascinating, the challenging, the strange. It is the best. It doesn’t just broaden the mind it enriches it in an intoxicating way, like adding wine to a sauce, like lashing burning booze on the stodgy Christmas pud

I think travel is great but the 'broadens the mind' thing is more of a saying than the truth imo. People who travel a lot are as prone to a fixed mindset as those who don't. In which case they lug it around with them along with the rest of their luggage.

"Anything to declare?"
    "Yep. Two suitcases, a carry-all, and my fixed mindset"
    Some people enjoy travel precisely because they have a fixed mindset. Even (especially) the free-spirited "independent travellers" you find congregating together in the same bars (with the same tired hippy trail aesthetic regardless of where they are located), wearing the same clothes and wittering on about their "gap yah" or the latest untouched location they are in the process of ruining. The identikit rooftop bar seems to fulfill the same function for the older and more well-healed traveller.
    I’m in Phnom Penh. You are in Penge
    Penge has dinosaurs at least.
    It does! SE20. Lived there once. Rented a room from a very old lady who had about 12 cats.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    I too would love to visit Moscow and St Petersburg. 2 of my 4 grandparents were from Ukraine/Russia, after all.

Maybe post-Putin?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,603
    "Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer, Conservative MPs David Davis and Chris Green, high profile academics from the University of Oxford and University College London, and journalists including Peter Hitchens and Julia Hartley-Brewer, all had comments critical of the government analysed by anti-misinformation units."

https://bigbrotherwatch.org.uk/campaigns/ministry-of-truth/
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,146
    Favourite small museums of the world

The Mauritshuis in the Hague

The Chicago Art Institute

Isabella Stewart Gardner in Boston, Mass

Kenwood, London

One near Olomouc Moravia whose name I forget

Musee de Cluny, Paris

Capodimonte, Naples

Guggenheim Venice

And absolutely the best of all, because it is so unexpected:

The Rosengart in Lucerne, Switzerland

• Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,203

I too would love to visit Moscow and St Petersburg. 2 of my 4 grandparents were from Ukraine/Russia, after all.

Maybe post-Putin?

There has been for several years access to St Petersburg on a visa-free basis, typically taking the train from Tallinn, and promising not to stray beyond St Petersburg. British passport holders were excluded due to our diplomatic relations being too bad after Shrewsbury, but many many countries were included. But of course for Moscow, a visa has always been required.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,226

Maybe post-Putin?

The coldest I have ever been in my life is Moscow in January. Wandering around a deserted Kremlin on a Saturday morning because no other bugger was stupid enough to go exploring. At least I didn't get chucked in the back of a GUVD van like happened to my old boss.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    edited February 2023
    - ”How well or badly do you think the government are doing at handling Britain's exit from the European Union?” (Net Badly)

Wales -46
    Scotland -61
    England -46

English regions:
    London -57
    South -41
    Midlands -42
    North -48

(YouGov / The Times; sample size: 2,061; fieldwork: 8-9 February 2023)
  • Options
    There’s a rumour on the Twitters that Sturgeon plans to stand down next month.

Probably bullshit.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,926

Maybe post-Putin?

St Petersburg is my favourite city I’ve been too. It’s this amazing combination of grandeur and shabbiness. The architecture is wonderful and the canals by day are a great way to see the city and at night on the party boats for the bridge lifting it’s a strange beautiful raucous evening.

Obviously the Hermitage but I went to a weird museum with every body part and deformed human in glass jars which was an eye-opener.

Had the best sushi I’ve ever had there which I didn’t expect.

And for those of us who might care you will never see so, so many ridiculously beautiful modelesque women in one place and then admire how many short, fat, ugly old men wearing 80’s football shorts and sliders must have such magnetic personalities to have attracted these goddesses they are walking hand in hand with.
  • Options
    tyson said:

There are more millions of people like Lee Anderson. A lot of them do quiet good in the world before cursing the dumbness of those they help in private. Most of them don't have high profile roles in politics.

That's how the gods have decided to curse Anderson; giving him the political stage he wanted.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    carnforth said:

DougSeal said:

If I could afford to travel anything other than economy class I might consider travelling further but trips to see the in-laws in New England are the limit of my range. Can’t abide the thought of more than six or seven hours on a plane having turned right on entry to it. Hate the whole experience.

Visiting family, I have just done 14 hours in Economy, with back pain. Would have been 12, but can't fly over Russia. Tip: airlines carry paracetamol, just ask for it.

I've never travelled in any class other than Economy, but I can't imagine Premium Economy offering significant relief. It would have to be a lay-flat Business seat, and that's never happening. Affording it is one thing - being able to justify spending the money rather than saving it is quite another.
    Premium is usually well worth the price difference for a long-haul flight. The seat reclines further and you have more space to move around. More crew around too, which is useful for when the G&T runs out.

That said, the mere existence of Premium Economy is a real pain for those of us who used to dress well and smile at the checkin desk, in the hope of an upgrade from Economy to Business. They’ll definitely only ever upgrade you one cabin!
  • Options
    It is still not possible to post items to the US via the Post Office. (Except, somehow, online?)

Every day, the UK feels more like one of the countries I backpacked through twenty years ago but without being cheap.

https://twitter.com/tompeck/status/1625461901265145856?s=46&t=8GHRQGqotp5pTeG4u7jvdw
  • Options
    Leon said:

Here's one I visited recently, not world-beating, but very pleasant, and in the unexpected category:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palais_des_Beaux-Arts_de_Lille

(Actually, the town itself is much improved in the last 20 years too).
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Andy_JS said:

Half of American singles went on zero dates last year, and only 40% used a dating app.

Many have given up on finding a relationship.

This, too, is a paradox of choice problem.

The problem is social media and smartphones, as usual.
    Dating apps are shite. I'd countenance that most folk of both genders hate them.
  • Options

Help please from PB military experts… two low flying jets on manoeuvres over the Yorkshire Dales earlier today… came right overhead… based on them having twin, outward sloping tail fins I think they would be F35s. Is that likely and, if so, where would they be from?

I can't think of anything else in this country (or USAF in this country) that fits that except for an F-22 if two have been here, or potentially an F-18 off a USN carrier.

May be from a US squadron though, which would I think be Lakenheath. I think UK F35s when not on a carrier are at Marham in Norfolk.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Kenwood, London

Musee de Cluny, Paris

Capodimonte, Naples

Guggenheim Venice

"The Mauritshuis in the Hague" - I love that place

I'd add two;

Fitzwilliam museum in Cambridge

And there's a Museum in Rome, not that far from the train station that is fantastic, and neglected by the guide-books.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Leon said:

Here's one I visited recently, not world-beating, but very pleasant, and in the unexpected category:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palais_des_Beaux-Arts_de_Lille

(Actually, the town itself is much improved in the last 20 years too).
    All the regional cities in France have very decent art galleries.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

DougSeal said:

If I could afford to travel anything other than economy class I might consider travelling further but trips to see the in-laws in New England are the limit of my range. Can’t abide the thought of more than six or seven hours on a plane having turned right on entry to it. Hate the whole experience.

Visiting family, I have just done 14 hours in Economy, with back pain. Would have been 12, but can't fly over Russia. Tip: airlines carry paracetamol, just ask for it.

I've never travelled in any class other than Economy, but I can't imagine Premium Economy offering significant relief. It would have to be a lay-flat Business seat, and that's never happening. Affording it is one thing - being able to justify spending the money rather than saving it is quite another.
    In all honesty, I have the solution. Tramadol

It is fucking amazing

Yes yes yes you will get doctor foxy and others on here telling you NO NO you will die or become addicted or both but fuck em

This may come as a surprise but I have some travel writing friends and one of them a few weeks back, said to me: THE SECRET IS TRAMADOL

You need to pop one or two slow release 100mgs before embarking on travel. They will last you 12 hours. They alleviate all boredom and take away a ton of pain. You are in an agreeable haze. Nothing is too irksome. Everything drifts along pleasantly

My friend swears they make 10 hours in Economy quite bearable. You don’t even need to drink. I just did one for a mildly irritating trip from Bangkok to Phnom Penh and WOW he’s right. I blithely sailed through the whole thing with a vague smile. I can well believe they make much longer schleps equally tolerable

i am giving invaluable advice here. TRAMADOL. Do not mix them with too much booze or benzos
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,605
    edited February 2023

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

I think travel is great but the 'broadens the mind' thing is more of a saying than the truth imo. People who travel a lot are as prone to a fixed mindset as those who don't. In which case they lug it around with them along with the rest of their luggage.

"Anything to declare?"
    You have the narrowest mind on PB and you never travel. Lol. This is probably the world’s biggest ever QED
    Well I have and I plan more in due course. A Greek island maybe.

And if you feel slighted you shouldn't. I didn’t mean YOU lug your rigid world view and set of prejudices around the globe, along with your laptop, phone, credit card and a change of clothing.

But it's an interesting question - what 'broadens the mind'? It's got me thinking. Will revert.
    What 'broadens the mind'?

IMO, talking to a variety of people; and that can be in your own street as much as around the world. Talking matters much more than reading.

I was thinking about Marxism recently. In the late 19th and early 20th century, a load of middle-class intellectuals read Marx and said: "Hey, that's what the people need!" Of course, they didn't actually go and talk and listen to the hoi polloi about their needs, because they *knew* what they needed.

A while back, someone on PB said they hated supermarkets because they had to talk to people at checkouts. I actually find that one of the more interesting parts of it, because sometimes you learn stuff. Like the one a while back who kept bees. Or the one whose brother lives on nothing but Dominos Pizzas. Or the one who was studying cosmology.

But it's actually not talking that matters; it's listening. Talk enough to open people enough, and then listen. Most people have an interesting story or three to tell.
    I would agree. Listening to people tell their stories is something that I do for a living and is endlessly fascinating. Symptoms and disease has a context, and that is human lives. Particularly so in Leicester as the world comes to my doorstep in all its variety.

I do enjoy travel, being particularly fond of natural history and geography. I find that travelling by public transport, staying in cheap guest houses and eating where locals do is much more interesting than swanky hotels and gourmet dining. It is how you see people live and mingle that is interesting, not being in a tourist ghetto.

I do find that very often travellers seem to be trying to escape and avoid their daily life by seeking out exotica and instagramming it. Escapism does though suggest that they are living their life poorly if they crave to escape it. There are great pleasures in being rooted to a place, however prosaic to others. A wise person once said "It is better to visit one Cathedral 50 times rather than 50 Cathedrals once".
  • Options
    Presenter Eamonn Holmes is faced with a £250,000 tax bill - he lost a tax case against HM Revenue & Customs. He argued he's a freelancer paid through his own company 'Red White & Green', and so owes no tax. The judge ruled he's employed by ITV and must pay.

Not just politicians who are at it.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,218

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

"Anything to declare?"
    You have the narrowest mind on PB and you never travel. Lol. This is probably the world’s biggest ever QED
    Well I have and I plan more in due course. A Greek island maybe.

And if you feel slighted you shouldn't. I didn’t mean YOU lug your rigid world view and set of prejudices around the globe, along with your laptop, phone, credit card and a change of clothing.

But it's an interesting question - what 'broadens the mind'? It's got me thinking. Will revert.
    What 'broadens the mind'?

IMO, talking to a variety of people; and that can be in your own street as much as around the world. Talking matters much more than reading.

I was thinking about Marxism recently. In the late 19th and early 20th century, a load of middle-class intellectuals read Marx and said: "Hey, that's what the people need!" Of course, they didn't actually go and talk and listen to the hoi polloi about their needs, because they *knew* what they needed.

A while back, someone on PB said they hated supermarkets because they had to talk to people at checkouts. I actually find that one of the more interesting parts of it, because sometimes you learn stuff. Like the one a while back who kept bees. Or the one whose brother lives on nothing but Dominos Pizzas. Or the one who was studying cosmology.

But it's actually not talking that matters; it's listening. Talk enough to open people enough, and then listen. Most people have an interesting story or three to tell.
    You've found a supermarket that's not self service?
  • Options
    The Holburne, in Bath, is exceptional.
    I prefer it to the Fitzwilliam or the Ashmolean.
  • Options
    Leon said:

i am giving invaluable advice here. TRAMADOL. Do not mix them with too much booze or benzos

For a second I read that as bentos, and couldn't work out for the life of me if you meant the Japanese lunch box or the awful tinned steak pies.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,605

Andy_JS said:

Half of American singles went on zero dates last year, and only 40% used a dating app.

Many have given up on finding a relationship.

This, too, is a paradox of choice problem.

The problem is social media and smartphones, as usual.
    Dating apps are shite. I'd countenance that most folk of both genders hate them.
    My lad does well on Hinge. Always seems to have girls interested.
  • Options

Presenter Eamonn Holmes is faced with a £250,000 tax bill - he lost a tax case against HM Revenue & Customs. He argued he's a freelancer paid through his own company 'Red White & Green', and so owes no tax. The judge ruled he's employed by ITV and must pay.

I thought he's at GB News now.
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

Kenwood, London

Musee de Cluny, Paris

Capodimonte, Naples

Guggenheim Venice

I'd add two;

And there's a Museum in Rome, not that far from the train station that is fantastic, and neglected by the guide-books.
    This was very unexpectedly good. Looked like nothing from the outside but was greatly enjoyed both by adults and children.

https://lochness.com/
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Maybe post-Putin?

There has been for several years access to St Petersburg on a visa-free basis, typically taking the train from Tallinn, and promising not to stray beyond St Petersburg. British passport holders were excluded due to our diplomatic relations being too bad after Shrewsbury, but many many countries were included. But of course for Moscow, a visa has always been required.
    Shrewsbury?
  • Options

I thought he's at GB News now.
    I assume court cases refer to circumstances some time ago.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

Kenwood, London

Musee de Cluny, Paris

Capodimonte, Naples

Guggenheim Venice

I'd add two;

And the Horniman museum in South London. Not because anything in it is spectacular, but it's a gloriously eccentric combination of collections (stuffed animals, anthropology and musical instruments) because they were the things one bloke was interested in.
  • Options

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Kenwood, London

Musee de Cluny, Paris

Capodimonte, Naples

Guggenheim Venice

I'd add two;

And the Horniman museum in South London. Not because anything in it is spectacular, but it's a gloriously eccentric combination of collections (stuffed animals, anthropology and musical instruments) because they were the things one bloke was interested in.
    Certainly the best museum convenient for Penge.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725

Why does anyone even need that option to abuse anyway is my first thought.
  • Options
    KeystoneKeystone Posts: 127
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

Kenwood, London

Musee de Cluny, Paris

Capodimonte, Naples

Guggenheim Venice

I'd add two;

The Frick in Manhattan. (Steel magnate madness - no common theme at all).

The Gulbenkian in Lisbon.
  • Options
    edited February 2023

Maybe post-Putin?

There has been for several years access to St Petersburg on a visa-free basis, typically taking the train from Tallinn, and promising not to stray beyond St Petersburg. British passport holders were excluded due to our diplomatic relations being too bad after Shrewsbury, but many many countries were included. But of course for Moscow, a visa has always been required.Shrewsbury?

Salisbury!
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,231
    kle4 said:

kyf_100 said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

"Anything to declare?"
    Some people enjoy travel precisely because they have a fixed mindset. Even (especially) the free-spirited "independent travellers" you find congregating together in the same bars (with the same tired hippy trail aesthetic regardless of where they are located), wearing the same clothes and wittering on about their "gap yah" or the latest untouched location they are in the process of ruining. The identikit rooftop bar seems to fulfill the same function for the older and more well-healed traveller.
    My trouble with travel is that as a single, introverted, forty year old guy, I find it quite lonely and isolating to travel alone. I end up sitting alone in some bar at the end of nowhere, when I could have just sat in the pub down the road with my mates. Striking up conversation with strangers, you're either a weirdo or a pervert.

Every time I go on holiday alone I feel like the titular character of Houellebecq's platform, only there's no fantasy girl to come along and save me.

Happy valentines day, folks!
    I have some sympathy, but you need to start by re-examining this belief in bold.

Most people actually want to be spoken with. Especially here (US).
    It's one thing to try re-examining it, it's another to actually manage it. I totally get kyf_100's thoughts on this. I admire people who find it easy to be gregarious, when it causes me such anxieties. But then I try to remember the words of Elizabeth Bennett.

Darcy: 'I certainly have not the talent which some people possess, of conversing easily with those I have never seen before. I cannot catch their tone of conversation, or appear interested in their concerns, as I often see done.'

Elizabeth:'My fingers do not move over this instrument in the masterly manner which I see so many women's do. They have not the same force or rapidity, and do not produce the same expression. But then I have always supposed it to be my own fault -- because I would not take the trouble of practicing
    Oh indeed, but I find myself drawn to another statement by Miss Elizabeth Bennett.

"We are each of an unsocial, taciturn disposition, unwilling to speak, unless we expect to say something that will amaze the whole room, and be handed down to posterity with all the éclat of a proverb."
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

Kenwood, London

Musee de Cluny, Paris

Capodimonte, Naples

Guggenheim Venice

I'd add two;

Is it the Modern Art Museum?

Rome has a fab modern art museum, Small but stuffed with superb works - ie perfect (I dislike the Louvres of this world, they are overwhelming, albeit impressive)

And of course Rome has the Villa Borghese. Exquisite. AND the Doria Pamphili, which is still owned by the family that bought all the art, and, gloriously, they live in the palace where you see the art

Any moment you expect one of them to appear from a kitchen eating pizza
  • Options
    Matt Hancock was paid £400,000 before tax by ITV for his appearance on “I’m a Celebrity”, although his entry in the register of MPs’ interests say he was paid £320,000. 🧵1/4

https://twitter.com/peston/status/1625438259915501568?s=46&t=tYh2EvLiFd5J9eTuw-loFg

• Options
    Leon said:

carnforth said:

DougSeal said:

It is fucking amazing

Yes yes yes you will get doctor foxy and others on here telling you NO NO you will die or become addicted or both but fuck em

This may come as a surprise but I have some travel writing friends and one of them a few weeks back, said to me: THE SECRET IS TRAMADOL

You need to pop one or two slow release 100mgs before embarking on travel. They will last you 12 hours. They alleviate all boredom and take away a ton of pain. You are in an agreeable haze. Nothing is too irksome. Everything drifts along pleasantly

My friend swears they make 10 hours in Economy quite bearable. You don’t even need to drink. I just did one for a mildly irritating trip from Bangkok to Phnom Penh and WOW he’s right. I blithely sailed through the whole thing with a vague smile. I can well believe they make much longer schleps equally tolerable

And avoid at all costs on sea journeys. In a lifetime of sailing inc a heavy weather Fastnet and an Atlantic crossing I have been seasick exactly once, after pigging out on tramadol in Bergen before sailing to Shetland.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,417
    kle4 said:

NEW: Lee Anderson has said the Tories will only win if they fight the next election on the "trans debate"

It's worth a few percentage points, tops, he's fooling himself.

I also feel like he's constantly trying to prove how Tory he is, perhaps a bit self conscious about being a recent convert.
    He hasn't said it will win. Read the article.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,529
    Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Kenwood, London

Musee de Cluny, Paris

Capodimonte, Naples

Guggenheim Venice

I'd add two;

Rome has a fab modern art museum, Small but stuffed with superb works - ie perfect (I dislike the Louvres of this world, they are overwhelming, albeit impressive)

And of course Rome has the Villa Borghese. Exquisite. AND the Doria Pamphili, which is still owned by the family that bought all the art, and, gloriously, they live in the palace where you see the art

Pallant House Gallery, Chichester.

• Options
    Keystone said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Kenwood, London

Musee de Cluny, Paris

Capodimonte, Naples

Guggenheim Venice

I'd add two;

The Frick in Manhattan. (Steel magnate madness - no common theme at all).

The Gulbenkian in Lisbon.
    I've travelled reasonably widely - dinner party acceptable! However despite several visits to NY airport I've never actually left it for the city itself.

I've also not ever been to Chicago - and in that case it was a deliberate choice as I felt I wouldn't survive the beer count needed to keep pace with my (then) small number of friends there.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    edited February 2023
    kle4 said:

Why does anyone even need that option to abuse anyway is my first thought.
    Media companies have been doing this for decades, and HMRC have gradually been working through them starting with the most high profile. If your name is advertised as being on their full-time programme, then you’re almost always an employee. It’s different if your production company actually makes the programme - but if you just turn up to their studio in their car, use their wardrobe, hair and makeup, and stand in front of their camera, for 40+ weeks a year, you’re employed there.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Kenwood, London

Musee de Cluny, Paris

Capodimonte, Naples

Guggenheim Venice

I'd add two;

Ta. I shall check it out!

What a pleasant few hours it has been, talking of travel and art and museums. We haven’t mentioned Trans once, and barely any politics, and the chat has bubbled along. PB back to its best

And now I must abed in Phnom Penh. Orkun
  • Options
    Anyhoo - off out for the evening.

ATB, everyone.
  • Options
    Have you been to the Chris Waddle museum near Kannur in northern Kerala?

• Options
    edited February 2023
    I’m surprised that nobody has mentioned that the Wellcome Trust, having closed down their permanent Wellcome collection, has now advertised for a new Head of Diversity to join their management team on a salary of £211k.

This is more than the Chief Strategy Officer, who is on £170k.
  • Options
    Leon said:

carnforth said:

DougSeal said:

It is fucking amazing

I concur. Mixing it with airline booze works well I find.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Kenwood, London

Musee de Cluny, Paris

Capodimonte, Naples

Guggenheim Venice

I'd add two;

I'll try to work it out. (Not the Modern Art Museum though). Will reply in a few minutes.
  • Options
    I see soulless banality from DALL E-2 on Twitter hasn't quite broken through to the world's great art galleries.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,417

Liz Truss's growth plans have been published by the Spectator:

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/revealed-liz-trusss-unpublished-growth-agenda/

Of what I understand, the plans on agriculture seem sound, on energy OK. I am not going to pretend to know whether the financial services deregulations would have been helpful.

Five months too late, maybe?
    They were due to be phased in after the mini budget. Interesting to look at the measures set out like this.
    I meant, wouldn't it have been sensible to publish the plan with or in advance of the not-a-budget-budget?

From a quick skim, there are some things I would support, quite a few I would oppose, but the important thing was if they had a plan, they should have shared it.
    I think that the way I would have done it, would be to announce the energy part of it first, alongside the energy support package. So the message is, yes we're spending a load on this package, but we're also making sure that in the long term, we're producing plentiful, safe, reliable energy, in Britain.

But that did not happen.

• Options

Probably bullshit.

I wouldn't mind placing a small bet on this, although it probably isn't available.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,445
    tyson said:

Leon said:

Tres said:

No St Petersburg?

Good call. The hermitage is amazing. Easily equal to the Prado
    We have a few narcissistic Personality Disorders on this site....Sean you are way ahead on points. Get some therapy and avoid being a dick

Of all the things to take offence at and/or respond with personal abuse, the contention that 'the Hermitage is amazing' seems an odd one to choose.
  • Options
    SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 597
    algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Kenwood, London

Musee de Cluny, Paris

Capodimonte, Naples

Guggenheim Venice

I'd add two;

I am planning to go to Pallant House next week to see it's Sussex landscapes exhibition
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,226
    Finally!

Dianne Feinstein announces she won't stand for re-election in 2024.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725

kle4 said:

It's worth a few percentage points, tops, he's fooling himself.

I also feel like he's constantly trying to prove how Tory he is, perhaps a bit self conscious about being a recent convert.
    He hasn't said it will win. Read the article.
    I will, but I have no issue commenting on the assertion of the view as summarised by correcthorsebattery3 either.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Kenwood, London

Musee de Cluny, Paris

Capodimonte, Naples

Guggenheim Venice

I'd add two;

I'll try to work it out. (Not the Modern Art Museum though). Will reply in a few minutes.
    Palazzo Massimo alle Terme
  • Options

I’m surprised that nobody has mentioned that the Wellcome Trust, having closed down their permanent Wellcome collection, has now advertised for a new Head of Diversity to join their management team on a salary of £211k.

Since they have no strategy, that's waaaay too much.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,945

kle4 said:

kyf_100 said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

"Anything to declare?"
    My trouble with travel is that as a single, introverted, forty year old guy, I find it quite lonely and isolating to travel alone. I end up sitting alone in some bar at the end of nowhere, when I could have just sat in the pub down the road with my mates. Striking up conversation with strangers, you're either a weirdo or a pervert.

Every time I go on holiday alone I feel like the titular character of Houellebecq's platform, only there's no fantasy girl to come along and save me.

I have some sympathy, but you need to start by re-examining this belief in bold.

It's one thing to try re-examining it, it's another to actually manage it. I totally get kyf_100's thoughts on this. I admire people who find it easy to be gregarious, when it causes me such anxieties. But then I try to remember the words of Elizabeth Bennett.

Darcy: 'I certainly have not the talent which some people possess, of conversing easily with those I have never seen before. I cannot catch their tone of conversation, or appear interested in their concerns, as I often see done.'

Elizabeth:'My fingers do not move over this instrument in the masterly manner which I see so many women's do. They have not the same force or rapidity, and do not produce the same expression. But then I have always supposed it to be my own fault -- because I would not take the trouble of practicing
    Oh indeed, but I find myself drawn to another statement by Miss Elizabeth Bennett.

"We are each of an unsocial, taciturn disposition, unwilling to speak, unless we expect to say something that will amaze the whole room, and be handed down to posterity with all the éclat of a proverb."
    I'd draw you back to the quote from Houellebecq I was alluding to in my original post, “People are suspicious of single men on vacation, after they get to a certain age: they assume that they're selfish, and probably a bit pervy. I can't say they're wrong.”

However when it comes to holidaying alone, I find another quote from the book equally as accurate - “Anything can happen in life, especially nothing.”

Give me a work trip abroad, decent hotel room and boozy bonding with colleagues. Give me a romantic getaway with a loved one (oh for days past!). Give me a trip to a far flung destination to catch up with an old friend. But don't send me on holiday alone.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,774
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

MattW said:

Leon said:

felix said:

Leon said:

An extraordinary fact I learned today

Life expectancy in Thailand - 77.8 - is now higher than life expectancy in the USA - 76.4

If the trends continue for another couple of years American life expectancy will, in one of history’s grandest reversals, be overtaken by life expectancy in Vietnam (right now it is 75.7 and rising, unlike the USA)

Diet? Climate?
    First, yes. Hardly any obese people here, much better diet, and few fewer cars. They walk and cycle and move around a lot

Climate I doubt, some of the longest lived nations - Iceland - have hideous cold climates, some, like Spain, have great climates

Three other major factors: no terrible drug/opioid crisis here, better healthcare for the really poor (and a safety net), and of course fewer murders and gunshot suicides because fewer guns
    Coming to a city near you, soon. Modal share of cycling in Central London (as opposed to Inner London or London) is now at 11%. Inner London is 8%. That's double since 2010.
    https://twitter.com/willnorman/status/1494567072046764050

You live in Inner London not Central (imo) - have you noticed anything yet?

And they have hardly started building the network of safe cycling routes. Being followed at a distance in certain places such as Manchester, Leicester, Nottingham.
    Yes, for sure. Cycling is surging. And e-bikes are accelerating the trend (and easier for older or less fit people)

I am all for it. Get rid of every single fucking car in our cities. Sure we will lose something but the benefits are so tremendous it has to happen - and it will happen

Cleaner, quieter, lovelier, greener cities, with all that hideous infrastructure now dedicated to cars - ugly car parks, horrible urban motorways, grimy garages and workshops - suddenly liberated and freed up to become new parks, urban woods, glorious European boulevards where people WALK and STROLL without fear of being run over

We can keep a fair few autonomous e-cars that purr about the place then park themselves at night

The future of the city is carless and splendid
    You don’t have to get rid of cars entirely; just give massive priority to the cyclist and (particularly) the pedestrian.

(btw I’m mildly surprised you haven’t been touched by the 15-min city conspiracy theory.)
    Combining the last couple of strands, it was taking up cycling at 42 that enabled me to visit a dozen or more countries all over the world I’d never have gone to otherwise (organised tours mainly).
  • Options
    "Sam Bankman-Fried ordered back to court after he accessed internet in way government can't track

Bankman-Fried's lawyers said he used the VPN to watch NFL playoff and Super Bowl games while out on bail in the US."

https://abc7chicago.com/ftx-founder-sam-bankman-fried-scam-crypto-news/12814762/
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,445
    kyf_100 said:

kle4 said:

kyf_100 said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

"Anything to declare?"

I'd draw you back to the quote from Houellebecq I was alluding to in my original post, “People are suspicious of single men on vacation, after they get to a certain age: they assume that they're selfish, and probably a bit pervy. I can't say they're wrong.”

However when it comes to holidaying alone, I find another quote from the book equally as accurate - “Anything can happen in life, especially nothing.”

Give me a work trip abroad, decent hotel room and boozy bonding with colleagues. Give me a romantic getaway with a loved one (oh for days past!). Give me a trip to a far flung destination to catch up with an old friend. But don't send me on holiday alone.
    I've never really been single as an adult, so a holiday alone has never been on the horizon, but I've always rather liked the idea. On the very rare occasions when I am at large on my own something interesting always seems to happen to me. I'm with you about feeling no-one wants a man on his own talking to them - yet somehow a conversation always seems to happen, and it is never not interesting. A snatch of strangers' lives is a fascinating thing.
  • Options
    Interesting financial events. FTSE is nearly at 8k. The last big barrier was 7k, and FTSE was nearly there at the very end of 1999, and then slumbered for 20 years or so. I guess one must fear that it'll repeat that performance, but I think inflation will get it comfortably over the line.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,985

rcs1000 said:

kyf_100 said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

"Anything to declare?"

Weirdly, I'm the other way around.

I find that in my day-to-day life I'm absolutely surrounded by other people and required to engage in conversation with them.

Going traveling by myself removes the requirement to talk to people, which I find enormously liberating. Plus, I get to read a good book without being interruped.

And if I really want a fight conversation, there's always pb.
    I’m reading a rather good (translation) of Victor Hugo’s Les Misérables. It’s a great yarn but looks intimidating enough to the average passer-by you can either engage or not as you wish
    I've always found that if you want to avoid being bothered then a copy of Tom Knox's Genesis Secret is near perfect.

The only problem is that you're required to read The Genesis Secret.

But hey ho.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,985

New Thread, Apparently

• Options

Probably bullshit.

Anyone of specific/particular note postulating this, out of curiosity?
  • Options

Just remember that it is all the same managerial class of public schoolboys and Oxbridge types. Whether they pose as 'culture warriors' or 'progressives' it is all the same old BS.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,442
    Leon said:

carnforth said:

DougSeal said:

It is fucking amazing

Utterly mad decision if the past you've alluded to is true.
  • Options

Just remember that it is all the same managerial class of public schoolboys and Oxbridge types. Whether they pose as 'culture warriors' or 'progressives' it is all the same old BS.
    You're slightly arguing against the clever people though. Not every public Schoolboy(Schoolperson) should be in a position of power, nor should every Oxbridge graduate, but we certainly want many of them in the frame.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,927

Probably bullshit.

Having spoken to one of her friends in the past week - I'd say it wasn't likely.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,964
    Andy_JS said:

"Sam Bankman-Fried ordered back to court after he accessed internet in way government can't track

Bankman-Fried's lawyers said he used the VPN to watch NFL playoff and Super Bowl games while out on bail in the US."

https://abc7chicago.com/ftx-founder-sam-bankman-fried-scam-crypto-news/12814762/

PB commenters take note. :smiley:
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,032

Bet you they could find someone for less
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,529
    Leon said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Kenwood, London

Musee de Cluny, Paris

Capodimonte, Naples

Guggenheim Venice

I'd add two;

Ta. I shall check it out!

What a pleasant few hours it has been, talking of travel and art and museums. We haven’t mentioned Trans once, and barely any politics, and the chat has bubbled along. PB back to its best

And now I must abed in Phnom Penh. Orkun
    Big exhibition on at Pallant House at the moment. Not been - too far away.

• Options
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Doing my first international trip for 4 years next week. Going to Madrid for the first time.
    Madrid is a fine city

The food is generally excellent. The Prado is a must. But also take in the Thyssen collection - top notch modern art. Tapas on the Plaza Mayor is grand

But for me the one world class unbeatable Madrid experience is just outside of town. The Escorial. Catholicism meets Fascism and becomes Architecture. It is astounding

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Escorial

You can easily do it in a day trip
    Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer, Conservative MPs David Davis and Chris Green, high profile academics from the University of Oxford and University College London, and journalists including Peter Hitchens and Julia Hartley-Brewer, all had comments critical of the government analysed by anti-misinformation units."

https://bigbrotherwatch.org.uk/campaigns/ministry-of-truth/

If you have nothing to hide, and nothing to say that is critical of the government, then you have nothing to fear.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    Tres said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

"Anything to declare?"
    I’m in Phnom Penh. You are in Penge
    Penge has dinosaurs at least.
    Some might say so does Phnom Penh.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995

Help please from PB military experts… two low flying jets on manoeuvres over the Yorkshire Dales earlier today… came right overhead… based on them having twin, outward sloping tail fins I think they would be F35s. Is that likely and, if so, where would they be from?

Marham or Lakenheath.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,939
    edited February 2023

Leon said:

carnforth said:

DougSeal said:

It is fucking amazing

Utterly mad decision if the past you've alluded to is true.
    Leon addicting himself to opiates for the second or third time in his life would be entirely in character.
This discussion has been closed.