Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Nikki Haley to fight Trump for the WH2024 GOP nomination – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,089

Ghedebrav said:

Sean_F said:

I believe that we got most of the top von Braun team, and the Soviets got most of the technicians. So we came out ahead, but they did get something from those advances

Werner von Braun ranks perhaps (with Thomas Jefferson?) as historical figure whose general reputation has perhaps the MOST in my own lifetime.

In WvB's case, from acclaimed rocket scientist to reviled war criminal.
    Apart from Jimmy Saville.
    Plenty of folk thought he was a wrong 'un tbf, just got shouted down by the BUT CHARITEE crowd, and Leeds fans.
    I do not think that is right.

Savile was a bloody awful broadcaster imo, speaking in catchphrases and barely able to string a sentence together. I guess I was of the Goldilocks generation for Savile. Too young to know him as a pioneering DJ and too old for Jim'll Fix It. Before the exposures, I did once discuss him with a Fleet Street hack who said the red tops were all over the rumours but could not stand anything up. You'd have thought MI5 or Special Branch might have taken a look because of Savile's proximity to Mrs Thatcher and the government but if so, nada.
    Far more people claim now they always sensed he was a wrong un than actually did at the time. His tv style with kids was widely lauded as being refreshingly direct and unpatronizing.

I'm looking forward to the drama with Steve Coogan. It's a grim but fascinating tale.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,388
    edited February 2023

Leon said:

MattW said:

Leon said:

felix said:

Leon said:

An extraordinary fact I learned today

Life expectancy in Thailand - 77.8 - is now higher than life expectancy in the USA - 76.4

If the trends continue for another couple of years American life expectancy will, in one of history’s grandest reversals, be overtaken by life expectancy in Vietnam (right now it is 75.7 and rising, unlike the USA)

Diet? Climate?
    First, yes. Hardly any obese people here, much better diet, and few fewer cars. They walk and cycle and move around a lot

Climate I doubt, some of the longest lived nations - Iceland - have hideous cold climates, some, like Spain, have great climates

Three other major factors: no terrible drug/opioid crisis here, better healthcare for the really poor (and a safety net), and of course fewer murders and gunshot suicides because fewer guns
    Coming to a city near you, soon. Modal share of cycling in Central London (as opposed to Inner London or London) is now at 11%. Inner London is 8%. That's double since 2010.
    https://twitter.com/willnorman/status/1494567072046764050

You live in Inner London not Central (imo) - have you noticed anything yet?

And they have hardly started building the network of safe cycling routes. Being followed at a distance in certain places such as Manchester, Leicester, Nottingham.
    Yes, for sure. Cycling is surging. And e-bikes are accelerating the trend (and easier for older or less fit people)

I am all for it. Get rid of every single fucking car in our cities. Sure we will lose something but the benefits are so tremendous it has to happen - and it will happen

Cleaner, quieter, lovelier, greener cities, with all that hideous infrastructure now dedicated to cars - ugly car parks, horrible urban motorways, grimy garages and workshops - suddenly liberated and freed up to become new parks, urban woods, glorious European boulevards where people WALK and STROLL without fear of being run over

We can keep a fair few autonomous e-cars that purr about the place then park themselves at night

The future of the city is carless and splendid
    Wait till you are 70 and your legs go, and you can't get a cab because the council's put bollards down all the roads.
    They never close off *all* the roads - just modal filtering, which is an excellent thing. And these days it seems to be cameras, not bollards - which I don't think is as good.

In due course, when we have the thing properly sorted, Leon will be able to get a Canta. They go between properly spaced (1.3-1.5m apart) bollards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canta_(vehicle)

I knew a lady who used to tricycle into Surbiton centre in her 80s.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Not long until the clocks go forward and here comes the Summer

We are exactly half way through February but I'm afraid there's quite a lot of March to go as well.

Equally, I've been sat in my conservatory working all afternoon and it's been perfectly pleasant.
    Once it is dark at 6PM I find the final few days very easy.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-64638653

How odd, the PB trans obsessives have decided not to mention that the case is now considered to be a hate crime.

This is the reality for trans people - and yet Rishi would rather score political points.

Oh, come on. Do you think nobody's going to click the link?

Police investigating the killing of 16-year-old Brianna Ghey have said they are now considering whether it could have been a hate crime.

Yes, that's "considering whether it could have been", which is not the same as "is".
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    kinabalu said:

Ghedebrav said:

Sean_F said:

I believe that we got most of the top von Braun team, and the Soviets got most of the technicians. So we came out ahead, but they did get something from those advances

Werner von Braun ranks perhaps (with Thomas Jefferson?) as historical figure whose general reputation has perhaps the MOST in my own lifetime.

Plenty of folk thought he was a wrong 'un tbf, just got shouted down by the BUT CHARITEE crowd, and Leeds fans.

Savile was a bloody awful broadcaster imo, speaking in catchphrases and barely able to string a sentence together. I guess I was of the Goldilocks generation for Savile. Too young to know him as a pioneering DJ and too old for Jim'll Fix It. Before the exposures, I did once discuss him with a Fleet Street hack who said the red tops were all over the rumours but could not stand anything up. You'd have thought MI5 or Special Branch might have taken a look because of Savile's proximity to Mrs Thatcher and the government but if so, nada.
    Far more people claim now they always sensed he was a wrong un than actually did at the time. His tv style with kids was widely lauded as being refreshingly direct and unpatronizing.

I'm looking forward to the drama with Steve Coogan. It's a grim but fascinating tale.
    I take it that's Steve Coogan appearing in a drama about JS, not a 'grim but fascinating drama' ABOUT Steve Coogan we've not been told of?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

How odd, the PB trans obsessives have decided not to mention that the case is now considered to be a hate crime.

This is the reality for trans people - and yet Rishi would rather score political points.

Yet this is the second or third post I think I've seen from you that makes the same "point"

My viewpoint is simple - both sides want the impossible and are unwilling to find a compromise.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,220
    Driver said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

That joke is a bad pun on a steroid.

it was Reaching for the Stars. Failed to even hit London.
    That Star Wars waning before it was launched.

Some have harsh words for this man of renown,
    But some think our attitude
    Should be one of gratitude,
    Like the widows and cripples in old London town,
    Who owe their large pensions to Wernher von Braun.

You too may be a big hero,
    Once you've learned to count backwards to zero.
    "In German oder English I know how to count down,
    Und I'm learning Chinese," says Wernher von Braun.
    Though, perhaps ironically, key technologies for American military superiority in missiles and the Apollo program were developed without Von Braun and actually against his advice.
    Von Braun and his team went to quite some lengths to make sure they could surrender to the Americans not the Soviets - which would have changed history. Assuming, of course, that the Soviets learned from and worked with them, which is perhaps somewhat outside their character of the period.
    The Soviet missile program was heavy dependent on the German V2 program. More so than the Americans. Who had a number of non-German teams who rapidly over took the Germans - especially in military designs.

The Russian military missiles were linear descendants of the V2. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R-1_(missile)

This is not surprising when you consider that the Russians took many of the mid level people in the V2 program and several of the manufacturing facilities.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,116

When Starmer wins, I believe the Tories will be out of power for a generation.

Scottish generation or the more accepted kind?

Its difficult to see the future. I think the country is ready for a change and that change will be a Starmer led government. However he will quickly find that government is hard, notably so in the prevailing economic conditions. There is no guarantee that the country will keep electing labour governments, or even just coalitions that don't include the tories. However the tories do need to go away, take a look at themselves again and root out the curupt and venal self servers.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

We are exactly half way through February but I'm afraid there's quite a lot of March to go as well.

Equally, I've been sat in my conservatory working all afternoon and it's been perfectly pleasant.
    Once it is dark at 6PM I find the final few days very easy.
    This year I will be able to sit and work in the garden if I choose.

Looking forward to that!
  • Options
    eek said:

Yet this is the second or third post I think I've seen from you that makes the same "point"

My viewpoint is simple - both sides want the impossible and are unwilling to find a compromise.
    I am very willing to discuss it.

But people should know that when we use language like boob shavers this is the result
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625
    Well, at least someone recognisable has had the guts to put their name in.
  • Options

Hmm - 26th March - not for a while. But yes, looking forward to light in the evenings!
  • Options
    Leon said:

Anyone who doesn’t have anchoring responsibilities at home (job, kids, stupid pets) and who has money and who ISN”T travelling is an idiot

Travel is all there is, in the end, along with love and art. The new, the fascinating, the challenging, the strange. It is the best. It doesn’t just broaden the mind it enriches it in an intoxicating way, like adding wine to a sauce, like lashing burning booze on the stodgy Christmas pud

You have one life. Go see the world before your knees give out

You're probably right. I will try more.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Remarkable how quickly my solar panels have gone back to generating meaningful amounts of electricity on clear days like today; it's about 40 percent of what I get in midsummer. And next week it will be not-quite dark at 6 pm here.

I'm sure there's another nasty surprise to come from winter, but the brilliant thing about this time of year is the tinges of hope.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,928
    edited February 2023

Leon said:

A Tory generation can be as short as 50 days though. Then its an entirely new government!
    A true story. I got chatting with my cab driver from Phnom Penh airport to my hotel this evening and when he heard I was British and from London, instead of saying Chelsea! Or “Leicester need a new striker” - like most SE Asians in this context, he said, with a chuckle “in London you have many many prime ministers”

I thought he was understandably mocking the chaos in our recent politics, but then he added “this is democracy, it’s good”

So I dunno. He might have been making an extremely subtle point that even a turbulent democracy can be seen - maybe obviously so - as superior to the quasi-autocracy they have here in Cambodia. The turbulence is the point. It shows that unpopular leaders are toppled by the public will, as does not happen in indochina
    The big point about democracy is that it offers a major revolution/coup every five years or so. Without the piles of dead people making the place untidy.
    The least worst system of government.
  • Options
    edited February 2023

ydoethur said:

Remarkable how quickly my solar panels have gone back to generating meaningful amounts of electricity on clear days like today; it's about 40 percent of what I get in midsummer. And next week it will be not-quite dark at 6 pm here.

I'm sure there's another nasty surprise to come from winter, but the brilliant thing about this time of year is the tinges of hope.
    Yes, mine too. I've been running a high spec PC, three monitors and a dishwasher all afternoon. Cost, 12p.

If the government's serious about net zero offering everyone especially those with a south facing roof free solar panels would make a colossal difference.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Ghedebrav said:

Sean_F said:

I take it that's Steve Coogan appearing in a drama about JS, not a 'grim but fascinating drama' ABOUT Steve Coogan we've not been told of?
    That could be in the pipeline too but - yes - I mean that Savile one. Should be good, I think.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 6,977
    edited February 2023
    Yah. We love Nikki!

Edit: if you read her book then it’s clear (a) she fundamentally disagreed with Trump on various points; and (b) she was always planning a run and wanted distance from him
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,220
    kinabalu said:

Ghedebrav said:

Sean_F said:

Do you think you could fit all the people who claim they sensed Savile was a wrong un (but did nothing) into the Blind Beggar or would it take the balcony of the form Iranian embassy, as well? Both have a capacity, according to sworn testimony, of hundred of thousands.....
  • Options

Yah. We love Nikki!

'Haley the Chief' has a certain ring to it.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

SSW happening, impacts are not certain, but can result in very chilly weather pace 2018. Winter is not done with us just yet, despite the beautiful day today.
  • Options
    Sunak leads Starmer by 2% in the Blue Wall.

At this moment, which of the following do Blue Wall voters think would be the better PM for the UK? (11-12 Feb.)

Rishi Sunak 39% (+2)
    Keir Starmer 37% (–)
    Don't Know 23% (-2)

Changes +/- 28-29 Jan.
  • Options
    Labour leads by 7% in the Blue Wall. In 2019, Labour came THIRD in these seats.

Blue Wall Voting Intention (11-12 Feb.):

Labour 41% (-1)
    Conservative 34% (+2)
    Liberal Democrat 17% (-2)
    Green 4% (–)
    Reform UK 3% (-1)
    Other 2% (+2)

Changes +/- 28-29 Jan.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Ghedebrav said:

Sean_F said:

Do you think you could fit all the people who claim they sensed Savile was a wrong un (but did nothing) into the Blind Beggar or would it take the balcony of the form Iranian embassy, as well? Both have a capacity, according to sworn testimony, of hundred of thousands.....
    Indeed. Although I was thinking of people generally - the public - rather than just industry insiders.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,088
    Leon said:

Imagine being a strapping six foot tall ribeye-fed American GI in Vietnam in 1965, confronted by these tiny 5 foot three Vietnamese “gooks” living mainly on rice and rotten fish, and being told “in sixty years time these ‘gooks’ will have a better life expectancy than you”

Well, a lot of the GIs wouldn't have had much trouble accepting that their government had the country on the wrong path, given the absolute pointlessness of what the government asked them to do in Vietnam.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,440

Leon said:

A Tory generation can be as short as 50 days though. Then its an entirely new government!
    A true story. I got chatting with my cab driver from Phnom Penh airport to my hotel this evening and when he heard I was British and from London, instead of saying Chelsea! Or “Leicester need a new striker” - like most SE Asians in this context, he said, with a chuckle “in London you have many many prime ministers”

I thought he was understandably mocking the chaos in our recent politics, but then he added “this is democracy, it’s good”

So I dunno. He might have been making an extremely subtle point that even a turbulent democracy can be seen - maybe obviously so - as superior to the quasi-autocracy they have here in Cambodia. The turbulence is the point. It shows that unpopular leaders are toppled by the public will, as does not happen in indochina
    He has a point. When we have a leader who is brazenly corrupt or incompetent the people can have them removed. In some countries, the brazenly corrupt leader has the people removed...
    Johnson did have people removed (Gove, Sunak?) admittedly not permanently.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,773
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Anyone who doesn’t have anchoring responsibilities at home (job, kids, stupid pets) and who has money and who ISN”T travelling is an idiot

Travel is all there is, in the end, along with love and art. The new, the fascinating, the challenging, the strange. It is the best. It doesn’t just broaden the mind it enriches it in an intoxicating way, like adding wine to a sauce, like lashing burning booze on the stodgy Christmas pud

I have a wealthy female relative who has barely been outside Europe - in fact I’d guess that Egypt (ie Sharm) and once in the USA is her entire non European travel experience

She used to blame it on kids (fair enough), and then her job (hmm, she can easily work from home, but OK). Now she is essentially retired early, is notably affluent, has a willing companion, is intellectually curious and educated and STILL she doesn’t travel

Portugal, Malaga, Greece, a spot of France, same same same. When I ask her why she doesn’t experiment and go a bit further she says “we have cats” like the cats allow her to go to the Algarve for a fortnight but forbid her from going to India or Singapore or the Arctic or Madagascar

i honestly don’t get it. Fear of the unknown? She’s not a cowardly person in my experience. Apathy? Why?

She is in her late 50s and in 15 years it will be too late
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,306

Woke Queen Camilla will not wear the Koh-i-Noor diamond for the coronation. She will wear Queen Mary's crown instead.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64638152

I thought Queen Mary's crown was made to house the Koh I Noor. And I think the crown in their picture looks like the Delhi Durbar crown. Which the Indians definitely wouldn't want Camilla to wear.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,440

Yah. We love Nikki!

Edit: if you read her book then it’s clear (a) she fundamentally disagreed with Trump on various points; and (b) she was always planning a run and wanted distance from him

She did until she didn't until she did again, right?
  • Options

Four weeks to Cheltenham and another fortnight after that before the clocks change.
  • Options
    Leon said:

You can see the world on Youtube. No need to get dressed and leave home.
  • Options
    YouGov, the only pollster to correctly weigh geographical sub-samples:

Wales
    WLab 56%
    WCon 18%
    PC 14%
    Ref 7%
    Grn 1%
    WLD 1%

Scotland
    SNP 41%
    SLab 31%
    SCon 13%
    SLD 7%
    Grn 3%
    Ref 3%

England
    Lab 48%
    Con 25%
    LD 11%
    Grn 7%
    Ref 6%

English regions:
    London
    Lab 50%
    Con 21%
    LD 11%
    Grn 7%
    Ref 6%

South
    Lab 42%
    Con 28%
    LD 14%
    Grn 8%
    Ref 7%

Midlands
    Lab 46%
    Con 31%
    LD 9%
    Grn 7%
    Ref 7%

North
    Lab 57%
    Con 20%
    LD 9%
    Grn 6%
    Ref 6%

(YouGov / The Times; sample size: 2,061; fieldwork: 8-9 February 2023)
  • Options

Leon said:

Imagine being a strapping six foot tall ribeye-fed American GI in Vietnam in 1965, confronted by these tiny 5 foot three Vietnamese “gooks” living mainly on rice and rotten fish, and being told “in sixty years time these ‘gooks’ will have a better life expectancy than you”

Well, a lot of the GIs wouldn't have had much trouble accepting that their government had the country on the wrong path, given the absolute pointlessness of what the government asked them to do in Vietnam.
    Never mind over 60 years their life expectancy took a nosedive soon as they got the callup.
  • Options
    DJ41a said:

Woke Queen Camilla will not wear the Koh-i-Noor diamond for the coronation. She will wear Queen Mary's crown instead.

It's not up to Camilla, the British answer to Mike Pence, to decide what she wears or doesn't wear at the coronation.

No surprise that nut boy won't let his wife wear a bigger diamond in her hat than he does. She'd embarrass him.

If he were truly woke, he'd return the Koh-i-Noor to where his family stole it.

But that would be opening the floodgates. There'd be much of the royal art collection for starters, robbed after the restoration from those who'd bought stuff at auction from the Commonwealth government using their own money.

I wonder whether he and his hangers-on will f*** the coronation up. Many held back at his mother's funeral, but the crowning is me me me all the way.
    It wasn't stolen.
  • Options
    Incidentally, if Biden declines to run for re-election he will be the first incumbent President not to run for re-election since LBJ. Could be a pretty strong reason for him to want to see it through.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

I have a wealthy female relative who has barely been outside Europe - in fact I’d guess that Egypt (ie Sharm) and once in the USA is her entire non European travel experience

She used to blame it on kids (fair enough), and then her job (hmm, she can easily work from home, but OK). Now she is essentially retired early, is notably affluent, has a willing companion, is intellectually curious and educated and STILL she doesn’t travel

Portugal, Malaga, Greece, a spot of France, same same same. When I ask her why she doesn’t experiment and go a bit further she says “we have cats” like the cats allow her to go to the Algarve for a fortnight but forbid her from going to India or Singapore or the Arctic or Madagascar

i honestly don’t get it. Fear of the unknown? She’s not a cowardly person in my experience. Apathy? Why?

It's really simple, she doesn't want to.

Unless you are really lucky (and you are) you can't see everywhere so you may as well go to the places you enjoy going to.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,053

Labour 41% (-1)
    Conservative 34% (+2)
    Green 4% (–)
    Reform UK 3% (-1)
    Other 2% (+2)

Changes +/- 28-29 Jan.

So, in spite of the Lib Dem poll in Wokingham, why should labour do any deals or ease off to help them.

A blue wall by election would be fascinating. If there was one labour should go at it hell for leather.
  • Options

Four weeks to Cheltenham and another fortnight after that before the clocks change.
    For me the first big change is when the sun sets AFTER 5pm - we are already past that, it happened on Feb 7 in London

Then there’s the first crocus tips in Regents Park. Around now? Then the symbolic date of March 1, which feels like the end of the jail sentence even if you have to wear an ankle tag and you are only out on licence, and might get called in to the cop shop of cold every now and again

Most beautiful of all is the moment when you turn to the sun and and you sense REAL solar warmth and your pineal gland lights up with joy. That can happen any moment between the last half of Feb or mid March, depending on where you are in the UK, and your luck

Tho it must be said I despise the entire thing and God willing I will stay out here in indochina for another 2-3 weeks
  • Options

DJ41a said:

It's not up to Camilla, the British answer to Mike Pence, to decide what she wears or doesn't wear at the coronation.

No surprise that nut boy won't let his wife wear a bigger diamond in her hat than he does. She'd embarrass him.

But that would be opening the floodgates. There'd be much of the royal art collection for starters, robbed after the restoration from those who'd bought stuff at auction from the Commonwealth government using their own money.

I wonder whether he and his hangers-on will f*** the coronation up. Many held back at his mother's funeral, but the crowning is me me me all the way.
    It wasn't stolen.
    I was under the impression that General Flashman (VC and bar) 'retrieved' it during the Indian Mutiny? Is that not right?
  • Options
    eek said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Unless you are really lucky (and you are) you can't see everywhere so you may as well go to the places you enjoy going to.
    Some people like snuggling up on the sofa watching TV with their partner. Others like travelling the world. Enjoy your life how you want.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,111

Ghedebrav said:

Sean_F said:

I’d watch Jim’ll Fix It with my family on Saturday nights in the early eighties when I was an under 10. I remember wondering why he was famous. He seemed so weird and, as the youth today would have it, “cringe” compared to others on TV like, I dunno, Noel Edmonds or Les Dawson. His work with Stoke Mandeville hospital was always mentioned so I used to think maybe he was some sort of doctor who also hosted shows on TV.
  • Options
    Leon said:

For me the first big change is when the sun sets AFTER 5pm - we are already past that, it happened on Feb 7 in London

Then there’s the first crocus tips in Regents Park. Around now? Then the symbolic date of March 1, which feels like the end of the jail sentence even if you have to wear an ankle tag and you are only out on licence, and might get called in to the cop shop of cold every now and again

Most beautiful of all is the moment when you turn to the sun and and you sense REAL solar warmth and your pineal gland lights up with joy. That can happen any moment between the last half of Feb or mid March, depending on where you are in the UK, and your luck

Tho it must be said I despise the entire thing and God willing I will stay out here in indochina for another 2-3 weeks
    Today I reached the milestone of "can go for a walk during the day without taking gloves and not getting told I should have done". Though the local media is still talking up a Beast From The East like they have been all winter...
  • Options

Incidentally, if Biden declines to run for re-election he will be the first incumbent President not to run for re-election since LBJ. Could be a pretty strong reason for him to want to see it through.

Who was the last first term president not even to attempt to run for re-election, however desultorily?

I keep coming up with Rutherford B. Hayes in 1880.
  • Options
    eek said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Really? Is that it?

That doesn’t make sense because she is always saying Oooh, I’dl love to go there, or, Mmm, India, sounds amazing, or Wow, let’s do Vietnam

Yet it never happens. And she has four to six holidays a year. She’s rich. And she has time. So your explanation doesn’t add up

WTF is it? I’ve noticed it in others
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    It's as if they are trying to confirm everyone's opinion of them. Russian discussion programme talking about why they should get rid of Valentine's Day because it is soulless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WynLR63IgM8
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

It's as if they are trying to confirm everyone's opinion of them. Russian discussion programme talking about why they should get rid of Valentine's Day because it is soulless.

WEll, they should know about soullessness.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Lots of people have no desire to travel at all, which I find mystifying but each to their own.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,495
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Phnom Penh. First trip for ten years. Last time they had impoverished slums and Khmer Rouge trials now they have Chinese skyscrapers and chic rooftop bars

Looks like Honolulu - where I was visiting for a week, just a week (or rather two) ago.

Must say I REALLY enjoyed my stay in O'ahu. First time ever in Hawai'i and it was a trip & a half. Thing that surprised me the most was the SPIRITUAL dimension.

Personal highlights included touring the USS Missouri, with an excellent Japanese tour leader. Also chit-chatting with Amanda Knox (aka Foxy Knoxy) at a benefit for the Hawaii Innocence Project, in company with a gentleman (and gentle man) who'd just been released from nearly quarter-century in prison for a crime he did NOT commit.

Showed up on the Island with one Aloha (aka Hawaiian) shirt. Left with five! Including one that I got after seeing a fellow wearing similar on a city bus. It depicts scenes from the life work of Father Damien and Sister Marianne of Moloka'i, purchased from the gift shop

https://cathedralbasilicagallery.square.site/product/new-2020-saints-statuary-men-s-aloha-shirt/17?cs=true&cst=custom

Stayed for most of my visit in air-conditioned comfort at a hotel in Waikiki, right next to Fort DeRussy, which is (mostly) a beautiful park with an equally beautiful beach. On final day, before my red-eye back home, I moved to the YMCA so I could chill (relatively speaking, no a/c) before my flight.

BTW (also FYI) took public transport everywhere, including to & from the airport. Great deal, get a "Holo" card and total cost for unlimited bus rides capped at $7.50 per day. Took me from Waikiki to Hale'ima (my farthest West on the face of the Earth!) and back. Riding with a few tourists, but mostly locals.

Mahalo Oah'u! God Bless Hawai'i!!

AND eat yer heart out, Leon!
    I love Hawaii. It is far more interesting than the average punter is led to expect

For a start the geology and geography is insane - the volcanoes!

Also the history is vivid and it does have a spiritual side which is intense in places. One of the spookiest locales I have ever visited is right on the northern tip of the Big Island. A site of consistent human sacrifice for many centuries. The idea that Hawaiians were all peace loving garland wearing hippy types is nonsense. They were eager cannibals for a start, tho Woke historians hate this and try to pretend it was all made up. Pff!

There is now a fair amount of obesity and drug use but that’s true of West Bromwich
    The Baggies are a fine body of clean living thin men.
  • Options
    Leon said:

I don't know about that. If you're doing one thing then you can't do another. There's a choice between knowing the world as a whole, to a limited extent, and getting to know a small corner of it extremely well. There are a whole bunch of tradeoffs, and other good things that a person might do with their time.

I've certainly enjoyed the travel that I've done, and there's a fair few places I'd still like to get to, but everything in life is about choices, and I think that, given the choice, I'd rather aim to do a leisurely Land's End to John O'Groats cycle ride, or Mizen to Malin, rather than a coast-to-coast US road trip.

And besides that, I've never felt particularly at home anywhere, and rather like the idea of finding a place to put down some proper roots.
  • Options
    Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Really? Is that it?

That doesn’t make sense because she is always saying Oooh, I’dl love to go there, or, Mmm, India, sounds amazing, or Wow, let’s do Vietnam

Yet it never happens. And she has four to six holidays a year. She’s rich. And she has time. So your explanation doesn’t add up

The same as people who say they'd love to come to that party next friday, but don't actually turn up. People are odd, but they don't like to upset others. You love travel, she humours you in conversation, but actually isn't bothered.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Labour 41% (-1)
    Conservative 34% (+2)
    Green 4% (–)
    Reform UK 3% (-1)
    Other 2% (+2)

Changes +/- 28-29 Jan.

So, in spite of the Lib Dem poll in Wokingham*, why should labour do any deals or ease off to help them.

A blue wall by election would be fascinating. If there was one labour should go at it hell for leather.
    *You mean the November-2019-when-Corbyn-was-still-Labour-leader Lib Dem poll in Wokingham?
  • Options

Cheltenham you say?

Covid is old hat. How about a Marburg superspreader event?

https://www.reuters.com/world/africa/who-equatorial-guinea-confirms-first-ever-marburg-virus-disease-outbreak-2023-02-13/
  • Options
    Leon said:

The cross-quarter day in early February - the point at which the darkest quarter of the year is left behind felt particularly noticeable here in Ireland. I think it's because it's generally a lot milder here during the winter, and so the change in the light levels is the main signal of changing seasons that there is.
  • Options
    Liz Truss's growth plans have been published by the Spectator:

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/revealed-liz-trusss-unpublished-growth-agenda/

Of what I understand, the plans on agriculture seem sound, on energy OK. I am not going to pretend to know whether the financial services deregulations would have been helpful.
  • Options

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/revealed-liz-trusss-unpublished-growth-agenda/

Of what I understand, the plans on agriculture seem sound, on energy OK. I am not going to pretend to know whether the financial services deregulations would have been helpful.

She’s on her way back. After the May elections.
  • Options

ROFL, we did deregulation and the banks crashed the world economy.
  • Options

Five months too late, maybe?
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

Meanwhile, in Modi's India:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11735867/India-urges-people-ditch-western-Valentines-Day-announces-Cow-Hug-Day.html

India urges people to ditch 'western' Valentine's Day and announces February 14th is now Cow Hug Day
    -Campaign by government supposed to counteract 'dazzle of western civilisation'
    -Hugging cow 'will bring emotional richness' and 'increase happiness'
  • Options

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Really? Is that it?

The same as people who say they'd love to come to that party next friday, but don't actually turn up. People are odd, but they don't like to upset others. You love travel, she humours you in conversation, but actually isn't bothered.
    No, it’s more complex than that. She really isn’t the type to humour me. Trust me!

She is maybe deluding herself. Convincing herself that she really likes travel and expressing this loudly and saying that one day soon she will do that overland train trip to Burma or the Patagonian road trip blah blah

That is perhaps closer to the truth. She is middle class, educated and wealthy and it is slightly shameful - in that milieu - to admit that actually you don’t want to see any particularly foreign cultures because you’re not that interested, in reality, and yet another fortnight in Tavira or Mykonos is just fine and weird places are too weird

• Options

Cheltenham you say?

Covid is old hat. How about a Marburg superspreader event?

https://www.reuters.com/world/africa/who-equatorial-guinea-confirms-first-ever-marburg-virus-disease-outbreak-2023-02-13/
    Non-sequitur of the century
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

She’s on her way back. After the May elections.
    Nah, it'll be Boris on a 'Truss plan but done right this time' platform.
  • Options
    Driver said:

Police investigating the killing of 16-year-old Brianna Ghey have said they are now considering whether it could have been a hate crime.

Yes, that's "considering whether it could have been", which is not the same as "is".
    This 'hate' term is just horrendous. Would this murder (about which I know nothing) be somehow less bad if it were some other sort of emotion, perhaps with less hate, or more bad if the 'hate' were somehow intensified?

This must be a proxy for something else entirely.
  • Options

AlistairM said:

-Hugging cow 'will bring emotional richness' and 'increase happiness'
    The 'or else' threat is presumably the next stage of Modi's plans.
  • Options

Leon said:

I don't know about that. If you're doing one thing then you can't do another. There's a choice between knowing the world as a whole, to a limited extent, and getting to know a small corner of it extremely well. There are a whole bunch of tradeoffs, and other good things that a person might do with their time.

I've certainly enjoyed the travel that I've done, and there's a fair few places I'd still like to get to, but everything in life is about choices, and I think that, given the choice, I'd rather aim to do a leisurely Land's End to John O'Groats cycle ride, or Mizen to Malin, rather than a coast-to-coast US road trip.

And besides that, I've never felt particularly at home anywhere, and rather like the idea of finding a place to put down some proper roots.
    I buy that. There’s a shocking number of places on the island of Great Britain I’ve never been to or been only fleetingly. My knowledge of Manchester largely stems from my old firm sending me to a G4S ankle tagging depot in Trafford to deliver Equality Act training. It’s not just Leon who gets the classy work trips.
  • Options

They were due to be phased in after the mini budget. Interesting to look at the measures set out like this.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    Ford to cut 2,300 jobs in Germany and 1,300 in the UK because electric cars require less labour

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/ford-eliminate-3800-engineering-administration-jobs-europe-2023-02-14/

Ford plans to cut one in nine jobs in Europe, axing 3,800 roles in product development and administration as part of a drive to lower costs in the region and concentrate engineering know-how in the United States, the automaker said on Tuesday
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,938
    I highly doubt Haley will be a serious contender though. Not only is she too RINO for most Republicans she also does worse against Biden who beats her by 6% compared to 4% for Trump and 3% for DeSantis.

She does better than Pence v Biden though

https://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/1625486696862355460?t=CzuDTzN3UkLoQj5kas1kYQ&s=19
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    algarkirk said:

Driver said:

This 'hate' term is just horrendous. Would this murder (about which I know nothing) be somehow less bad if it were some other sort of emotion, perhaps with less hate, or more bad if the 'hate' were somehow intensified?

Well, yes, but apparently it makes a handy shorthand for "motivated by the victim's membership of a minority group".

Wiki suggests that "bias crime" is a term also used, maybe that's a better term?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    How exciting.

Steve McQueen is making a film for Apple TV called “Blitz”, starring Saoirse Ronan, Stephen Graham and Paul Weller.

Currently being filmed so will be a while I guess before release.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Driver said:

"Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to SUFFERING!" - Master Yoda.
  • Options

Please stop using this poor girl's death as goading material, you contemptible little man.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Really? Is that it?

No, it’s more complex than that. She really isn’t the type to humour me. Trust me!

She is maybe deluding herself. Convincing herself that she really likes travel and expressing this loudly and saying that one day soon she will do that overland train trip to Burma or the Patagonian road trip blah blah

That is perhaps closer to the truth. She is middle class, educated and wealthy and it is slightly shameful - in that milieu - to admit that actually you don’t want to see any particularly foreign cultures because you’re not that interested, in reality, and yet another fortnight in Tavira or Mykonos is just fine and weird places are too weird

That sounds plausible to me. Some activities are seen socially as both rewarding and enviable, and they may well be both, so even unconsciously people might feel a bit weird in admitting they don't feel any interest in travelling to amazing places, they don't want to read a classic novel, etc. It's a bit like stock work questions about developing one's career, with a pretty clear implication something is wrong with an employee if they don't want to develop in their role further, when they might be perfectly content, even happy, with it and find fulfillment elsewhere.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Leon said:

I think travel is great but the 'broadens the mind' thing is more of a saying than the truth imo. People who travel a lot are as prone to a fixed mindset as those who don't. In which case they lug it around with them along with the rest of their luggage.

"Anything to declare?"
    "Yep. Two suitcases, a carry-all, and my fixed mindset"
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

I buy that. There’s a shocking number of places on the island of Great Britain I’ve never been to or been only fleetingly. My knowledge of Manchester largely stems from my old firm sending me to a G4S ankle tagging depot in Trafford to deliver Equality Act training. It’s not just Leon who gets the classy work trips.
    "I would liked to have seen Montana the Clitheroe-Hellifield Line."
  • Options
    Help please from PB military experts… two low flying jets on manoeuvres over the Yorkshire Dales earlier today… came right overhead… based on them having twin, outward sloping tail fins I think they would be F35s. Is that likely and, if so, where would they be from?
  • Options
    DJ41a said:

Far from it, he will include a broader representation of faiths and groups at his coronation than his mother had. He has also designed the Monday as a national day of volunteering, building on his own work with the Princes Trust.

The Indians vetoed Camilla wearing the Koh-i-Noor as a key member of the Commonwealth
  • Options
    I love travel, but having small(ish) kids puts a bit of a kaibosh on it.

My advice to any 18 year olds is to save for a pension and travel as much as you can before you settle down.

I’m looking forward to a proper resumption of travel in a few years.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

I think travel is great but the 'broadens the mind' thing is more of a saying than the truth imo. People who travel a lot are as prone to a fixed mindset as those who don't. In which case they lug it around with them along with the rest of their luggage.

"Anything to declare?"
    "Yep. Two suitcases, a carry-all, and my fixed mindset"
    Caelum, non animum mutant, qui trans mare currunt.

Horace innit?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DJ41a said:

Far from it, he will include a broader representation of faiths and groups at his coronation than his mother had. He has also designed the Monday as a national day of volunteering, building on his own work with the Princes Trust.

The Indians vetoed Camilla wearing the Koh-i-Noor as a key member of the Commonwealth
    India has been a republic since 1950.
  • Options

Sunak leads Starmer by 2% in the Blue Wall.

At this moment, which of the following do Blue Wall voters think would be the better PM for the UK? (11-12 Feb.)

Rishi Sunak 39% (+2)
    Keir Starmer 37% (–)
    Don't Know 23% (-2)

Changes +/- 28-29 Jan.

Rishi still preferred PM in the bluewall then
  • Options

How exciting.

Steve McQueen is making a film for Apple TV called “Blitz”, starring Saoirse Ronan, Stephen Graham and Paul Weller.

How? He's been dead for 43 years.
  • Options
    I still think calling Camilla “the Queen” is a mis-step.

It feels like a usurpation of the late Queen’s mana; it’s too soon.
  • Options

Queen-Mistress, then?
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Everybody should do one massive American road trip in their lifetime. Coast to coast is ideal if you can afford the time and cost

It is an amazing thing, and it will show you the best and worst of one of the most important and spectacular nations in human history and civilisation, and also - the further south and west you go - mind blowing geography like nowhere else on the planet. It will change you, it will make you a better, more informed person. Read American history, novels, biographies as you go. Read about slavery but also read about amazing American explorers, read about the Civil War and read Kerouac and Hunter S Thompson and Ray Carver. Drink the local craft beer and visit the maddest bars, go to Texan BBQs and hang out in strip clubs. Talk to truckers. Talk to hookers. Talk to everyone. Americans are super friendly and big big talkers. It’s brilliant and peerless and marvellous

And much as I love my own unique country, I suggest it will be more emotionally and intellectually rewarding than a slow cycle ride from Scotland to Cornwall

• Options
    ydoethur said:

How exciting.

Eyeballs skyward.
    Steve McQueen is one of the best British directors currently working. Maybe the best!
  • Options

How exciting.

Oh for the days things could be be done quickly. Look at the James Bond series - 5 movies between 1962-1967

Yes much of modern film making is better, and the very early Bonds were not as big budget, but even so, waiting years for movies can be a real bummer.

Harry Potter managed almost 1 film a year, which as it was not filmed much at the same time feels pretty rare.
  • Options

They were due to be phased in after the mini budget. Interesting to look at the measures set out like this.
    I meant, wouldn't it have been sensible to publish the plan with or in advance of the not-a-budget-budget?

From a quick skim, there are some things I would support, quite a few I would oppose, but the important thing was if they had a plan, they should have shared it.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

How exciting.

Eyeballs skyward.
    Steve McQueen is one of the best British directors currently working. Maybe the best!
    Ah, so not *the* Steve McQueen, the *other* Steve McQueen.
  • Options

Yes, I agree, I don’t like it
  • Options

ydoethur said:

How exciting.

Eyeballs skyward.
    He should consider getting his own name then.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

How exciting.

He made a great escape?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

How exciting.

Eyeballs skyward.
    The not so Cooler King.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

How exciting.

He made a great escape?
    I'm sure TSE would suggest that compared to Charles he was a cooler King.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940

ydoethur said:

How exciting.

Eyeballs skyward.
    Should I add that it's a World War 2 film?
    Not about the New Romantics club?
    For clarity.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578
    Driver said:

Leon said:

Today I reached the milestone of "can go for a walk during the day without taking gloves and not getting told I should have done". Though the local media is still talking up a Beast From The East like they have been all winter...
    I went for a walk an hour ago wearing gloves. And I was wishing that I was wearing thicker gloves!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

How exciting.

Eyeballs skyward.
    The Steven McQueen's grandson, Steve McQueen, is an actor too, but not of particular note.
  • Options
    Driver said:

algarkirk said:

Driver said:

Well, yes, but apparently it makes a handy shorthand for "motivated by the victim's membership of a minority group".

Wiki suggests that "bias crime" is a term also used, maybe that's a better term?
    It suggests that some murders are better than others in rather random ways. Both the concept and the application are demeaning and tasteless.

• Options
    dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

How exciting.

Eyeballs skyward.
    Should I add that it's a World War 2 film?
    Not about the New Romantics club?
    For clarity.
    It appears to be a WW2 film, yes, which is going to be very interesting from the decidedly non-sentimental McQueen.

https://twitter.com/hullimages/status/1625538565835837440?s=46&t=8GHRQGqotp5pTeG4u7jvdw

I think Ronan and Graham are both superb actors as well, so this is one of the rare times I am genuinely excited by a forthcoming film.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    kle4 said:

How exciting.

Oh for the days things could be be done quickly. Look at the James Bond series - 5 movies between 1962-1967

Yes much of modern film making is better, and the very early Bonds were not as big budget, but even so, waiting years for movies can be a real bummer.

Harry Potter managed almost 1 film a year, which as it was not filmed much at the same time feels pretty rare.
    Yes but.
    The Potter franchise was under a bit of pressure to keep the kids as reasonably close to their age in the books.
This discussion has been closed.