Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

New Ipsos poll sees sharp decline in Sunak’s ratings – politicalbetting.com

124»

Comments

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,517

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

I'm reminded of some great predictions over the last two years.

Johnson will be PM until 2030
    Johnson won't resign
    Johnson will definitely lead the Tories into the next election
    Truss is better than Keir Starmer
    The polls will recover with Truss as leader
    Rishi Sunak will save the Tories
    Rishi Sunak will be more popular than Keir Starmer

And only half of those were from our Leondamus…..
    I had all but "Truss is better than Keir Starmer". Surely no one had that one chalked up.
    She was apparently poised to “surprise on the upside”, just before she self-destructed?
    She certainly isn't as good a politician as Keir Starmer. Whether her policy programme was better than his is an entirely different question.
    You don't get away with that. You were saying she was brilliant
    I stand by everything I said in support of Liz Truss - I particularly praised her agenda, and her guts, but it would be silly to argue that Keir Starmer is not better at politics than her. His survival is a clear indication of that fact.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    Nigelb said:
    The JWST launched a year ago, so we are six months into what’s likely to be a 20 or even 30-year mission.

Yet we already have the most astonishing insight into the past Universe, that’s ever been seen.

What an outstanding legacy, for all those people who spent two decades on this project.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,787

Wilson would have been called woke by today's nutty Tories

You mean Wilson was not a grasping, callous b******d who would rather promote and maintain social prejudice than see it called out and rolled back?

I suspect he might have worn a badge reading "Woke and proud" ...
    Supporting Parliamentary time to allow legalisation of abortion, homosexuality and the first Race Relations Act were certainly "Woke" in the context of the times.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047

You mean Wilson was not a grasping, callous b******d who would rather promote and maintain social prejudice than see it called out and rolled back?

Today's Tories would have called him a Communist probably.

Hope you are well :)
    Err, I rated Harold, but national hero and right-wing treasure Peter Wright was convinced Wilson was a Soviet spy and in his book Spycatcher claims to have been involved in a coup plot to overthrow the Wilson Government.

I suspect Wilson was broadly sympathetic to some elements of Soviet Russia, but I doubt he was ever a Communist (back in the day Denis Healey of course was a member of the British Communist Party- but few doubted his later life credentials as a moderate) despite Wilson's connections to Driberg, Kagan and Maxwell.

I wonder what Peter Wright would have made of a Foreign Secretary slipping his minders to party on the yacht of a former KGB officer?

Err, I rated Harold, but national hero and right-wing treasure Peter Wright was convinced Wilson was a Soviet spy and in his book Spycatcher claims to have been involved in a coup plot to overthrow the Wilson Government.

I suspect Wilson was broadly sympathetic to some elements of Soviet Russia, but I doubt he was ever a Communist (back in the day Denis Healey of course was a member of the British Communist Party- but few doubted his later life credentials as a moderate) despite Wilson's connections to Driberg, Kagan and Maxwell.

I wonder what Peter Wright would have made of a Foreign Secretary slipping his minders to party on the yacht of a former KGB officer?
    In his early days Wilson was a Liberal.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

Hah

Very believable IMO ......
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,294
    edited January 2023
    dixiedean said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

Sunak is securing his place in box 3 of the pantheon of PMs. It becomes ever harder for him to shift boxes as time goes on.

Box 1: important PMs. Love them or hate them, these PMs marked a political turning point and defined an epoch. Lloyd George, Churchill, Atlee, Thatcher, Blair

Box 2. Notable but second tier: MacMillan, Wilson, Heath, possibly Brown, Cameron

Box 3: weak PMs/ victims of forces outside their control: Chamberlain, Eden, Callaghan, Major, May, Sunak

Box 4 (new category) complete plonkers: Johnson

Box 5: glitches in the matrix. Truss

Heath should be 3rd tier as should Brown (in retrospect Major who left a growing economy, low inflation and a largely balanced budget in 1997, replaced the poll tax with council tax and won the Gulf War and began the NI peace process should be second tier).

Johnson should arguably be tier 1, having delivered Brexit and the vaccines.

Time will tell if Sunak is Tier 2 or 3
    I am not sure you understand this game. Johnson is in a category all on his own. If he comes back and finishes the job of crashing the nation into oblivion, you may have a point.

I suppose Sunak might have time to turn the supertanker around before it hits the rocks, although my money would be on a massive pollution incident.
    HYUFD said:

TimS said:

Sunak is securing his place in box 3 of the pantheon of PMs. It becomes ever harder for him to shift boxes as time goes on.

Box 1: important PMs. Love them or hate them, these PMs marked a political turning point and defined an epoch. Lloyd George, Churchill, Atlee, Thatcher, Blair

Box 2. Notable but second tier: MacMillan, Wilson, Heath, possibly Brown, Cameron

Box 3: weak PMs/ victims of forces outside their control: Chamberlain, Eden, Callaghan, Major, May, Sunak

I think you are generous to Cameron & Brown..... but like the idea (mainly agree)
    I agree. Cameron resides in Box 2 until 2015 after which he firmly sits in Box 3. He was red carded mid way through the second half. Brown always was and always will be Box 3.
    Home was not a weak PM if not a great one either. He left a reasonable economy in 1964 and won most seats in England against the odds in 1964 even if he lost across the UK very narrowly overall, he was also an outstanding diplomat and came back as Heath's Foreign Secretary
    Home is definitely Box 3 too.
    No he isn't, I would in fact put Home as the second best PM between 1955 and 1979 after MacMillan, at least in terms of foreign policy and leaving relative prosperity and stability when they left office.

Though Wilson left a longer legacy admittedly with legal homosexuality and abortion and comprehensive schools and the Open University coming when he was PM
    So you pretty much only need boxes 1, which is now very crowded, 3 and 5.

Anyway I thought you wanted to replace Comprehensive Schools.
    HYUFD doesn't approve of the Open University either, one is forced to conclude. Not posh enough?
    I approve of the Open University rather more than I approve of comprehensive schools replacing grammar schools
    OU is a massive opportunity for upskilling the country in an online world.

A massive opportunity that it appears isn’t being taken.

There was a really interesting trailing of an announcement over the weekend, with Dr Jordan Peterson on the Joe Rogan podcast. He’s about to launch a genuine online university, with a plan to charge $4,000 for a degree, and has a lot of backers for the project from all over academia, people fed up with the artificial scarcity around higher education who want to educate the world.
    Harvard (or possibly MIT???) has put entire courses on YouTube for free. Weird that it should be a US fee-taking institution rather than something that started like the OU (remember the broadcasts of the OU on late-night TV and Saturday/Sunday mornings?)
    I have done a whole bunch of courses from Stanford, that they put online. But they can’t ever lead to assessment, that’s the problem. Dr Peterson wants to use a similar model of online lectures, but with assessment and actually awarding degrees.

Yes, BBC2 in the ‘80s used to have OU programming overnight. I recall all sorts of science lectures I watched as a primary school kid, some of which occasionally made a little bit of sense to me. :D
    Although the lecturers' sartorial choices made absolutely none whatsoever.
    Wonderfully parodied by John Thompson
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

Heath should be 3rd tier as should Brown (in retrospect Major who left a growing economy, low inflation and a largely balanced budget in 1997, replaced the poll tax with council tax and won the Gulf War and began the NI peace process should be second tier).

I am not sure you understand this game. Johnson is in a category all on his own. If he comes back and finishes the job of crashing the nation into oblivion, you may have a point.

I suppose Sunak might have time to turn the supertanker around before it hits the rocks, although my money would be on a massive pollution incident.
    HYUFD said:

TimS said:

I think you are generous to Cameron & Brown..... but like the idea (mainly agree)
    I agree. Cameron resides in Box 2 until 2015 after which he firmly sits in Box 3. He was red carded mid way through the second half. Brown always was and always will be Box 3.
    Home was not a weak PM if not a great one either. He left a reasonable economy in 1964 and won most seats in England against the odds in 1964 even if he lost across the UK very narrowly overall, he was also an outstanding diplomat and came back as Heath's Foreign Secretary
    No he isn't, I would in fact put Home as the second best PM between 1955 and 1979 after MacMillan, at least in terms of foreign policy and leaving relative prosperity and stability when they left office.

Though Wilson left a longer legacy admittedly with legal homosexuality and abortion and comprehensive schools and the Open University coming when he was PM

HYUFD doesn't approve of the Open University either, one is forced to conclude. Not posh enough?
    I approve of the Open University rather more than I approve of comprehensive schools replacing grammar schools

There was a really interesting trailing of an announcement over the weekend, with Dr Jordan Peterson on the Joe Rogan podcast. He’s about to launch a genuine online university, with a plan to charge $4,000 for a degree, and has a lot of backers for the project from all over academia, people fed up with the artificial scarcity around higher education who want to educate the world.
    Harvard (or possibly MIT???) has put entire courses on YouTube for free. Weird that it should be a US fee-taking institution rather than something that started like the OU (remember the broadcasts of the OU on late-night TV and Saturday/Sunday mornings?)
    I have done a whole bunch of courses from Stanford, that they put online. But they can’t ever lead to assessment, that’s the problem. Dr Peterson wants to use a similar model of online lectures, but with assessment and actually awarding degrees.

Yes, BBC2 in the ‘80s used to have OU programming overnight. I recall all sorts of science lectures I watched as a primary school kid, some of which occasionally made a little bit of sense to me. :D
    As a kid, I occasionally used to see my uncle, in typical 1970s flairs, teaching geology on OU programs. This was in the 1980s, and the clothing was rather (ahem) outdated.

I've just looked him up on Linkedin, and he's been at the same university for 50 years! (He's mostly retired now, though).
    This was a huge part of the charm of 80's OU. Beardedly earnest academics with flares who already seemed to belong to a slightly different world ; as I remember the spoof series Look Around You satirised parts of this ethos perfectly. Now it's gone I'd rather see it back.
    Gosh.
    Look Around You.
    A little gem with a very young Olivia Colman.
    I don't remember that. This is amusing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-MlkvAVqUI

A deep fake before it was a thing. According to Wiki, Peter Serafinowicz did the voice. He is a truly superb impersonator.
    Olivia Colman is sitting next to him in that clip.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,501
    tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

As a kid, I occasionally used to see my uncle, in typical 1970s flairs, teaching geology on OU programs. This was in the 1980s, and the clothing was rather (ahem) outdated.

I've just looked him up on Linkedin, and he's been at the same university for 50 years! (He's mostly retired now, though).
    This was a huge part of the charm of 80's OU. Beardedly earnest academics with flares who already seemed to belong to a slightly different world ; as I remember the spoof series Look Around You satirised parts of this ethos perfectly. Now it's gone I'd rather see it back.
    Gosh.
    Look Around You.

A deep fake before it was a thing. According to Wiki, Peter Serafinowicz did the voice. He is a truly superb impersonator.
    He also - bizarrely, but quite wonderfully - played the lead character of The Tick, a giant blue superhero, in the Amazon series of the same name.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    And if they point their telescopes at Westminster they will be able to see some of the universe's biggest a**eholes!
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

Gosh.
    Look Around You.

Excellent. "Here is Sir Prince Charles to present the award".

This is also excellent satire, on the theme of early computer music, with a '70s rock video thrown in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqkUISJej2o
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,202
    edited January 2023
    dixiedean said:

tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

Gosh.
    Look Around You.

Olivia Colman is sitting next to him in that clip.
    Her best work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8RulxpzLsw

My A Level physics (around the time of the advert) teacher told us that his next door neighbours were called Bev and Kev and he found that very funny.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,762
    Foxy said:

Supporting Parliamentary time to allow legalisation of abortion, homosexuality and the first Race Relations Act were certainly "Woke" in the context of the times.
    Also, the abolition of the death in Britain.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,958

I just watched a short bit of the 1968 film "The Swimmer", with Burt Lancaster. A girl in it references how she met her boyfriend through computer dating...

(The olden sort, where you send in details and they put it in a computer (yeah, right), and you get matches sent back.)

Computer dating, 55 years ago.

It's quite a peculiar film all round. Haven't watched it for years mind you (I think it was part of the 'Moviedrome' series) - but my memory of it was 'this is quite odd'. I should dig up a copy and give it another go.
  • Options

Foxy said:

So you have to go abroad to die now? They just keep making everything only accessible to the wealthy.....
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

Foxy said:

Hence the increased demand on the NHS and pensions! :)
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,583

Is there any reason why the obvious solution to this problem can't be used?

The number of pigs being abandoned is on the rise, according to Ireland's only pig shelter 'My Lovely Pig Rescue'.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2023/0130/1352639-pig-rescue/

On no. The poor things will be attached to their owners like dogs will be.

Very upsetting to listen to 🥺
    Micro Piggies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5YO607enLo

At 7.25 you will just melt
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    Two things can be true at the same time:
    1) Johnson has used - and is again using - Ukraine to make himself look impressive. But that does not have to be his only motive.
    2) Johnson’s actions in the early days of the war have made a real difference for Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/HeleneBismarck/status/1620089317015293952
  • Options
    Starmer leads Sunak by 6%, his largest lead since Sunak became PM.

At this moment, which of the following do British voters think would be the better Prime Minister for the UK? (29 Jan.)

Keir Starmer 41% (+1)
    Rishi Sunak 35% (–)

Changes +/- 22 Jan.

Rishi's favourite pollster showing he's finished.
  • Options

1) Johnson has used - and is again using - Ukraine to make himself look impressive. But that does not have to be his only motive.
    2) Johnson’s actions in the early days of the war have made a real difference for Ukraine.

In this particular case, surely doing the right thing "for the wrong reasons" is better than doing the wrong thing "for the right reasons"?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,141
    JK Rowling not holding her punches...

@jk_rowling: I don't know about you, but excluding women from women's prisons just because they've got penises, male pattern bal… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1620107934364745728
  • Options
    @reactionlife: The public is suffering from buyer’s remorse as Brexit turns three.

Nearly all British constituencies regret Brex… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1620112184150790165
  • Options

I read Wright's book Spycatcher and it did not exactly paint the security services of the time in a flattering light.
  • Options

At this moment, which of the following do British voters think would be the better Prime Minister for the UK? (29 Jan.)

Keir Starmer 41% (+1)
    Rishi Sunak 35% (–)

Changes +/- 22 Jan.

Different pollsters get different results with this measurement. Trend across all of them though is the gap widening.
  • Options

Sleazy broken SNP on the slide.

Labour leads by 21%.

Westminster VI (29 January):

Labour 49% (+1)
    Conservative 28% (+2)
    Liberal Democrat 8% (-1)
    Reform UK 5% (-1)
    Green 5% (+1)
    Scottish National Party 4% (-1)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 22 January

https://twitter.com/redfieldwilton/status/1620104678968070150?s=46&t=yVyUPcTYx2Bgt5APc3wDeg

Good poll for the Tories that, a leap of +2 despite nothing but Tory bashing across all the news.
  • Options

Labour leads by 21%.

Labour 49% (+1)
    Conservative 28% (+2)
    Liberal Democrat 8% (-1)
    Reform UK 5% (-1)
    Green 5% (+1)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 22 January

https://twitter.com/redfieldwilton/status/1620104678968070150?s=46&t=yVyUPcTYx2Bgt5APc3wDeg

Good poll for the Tories that, a leap of +2 despite nothing but Tory bashing across all the news.
    Oh Moon, not again
  • Options

Keir Starmer 41% (+1)
    Rishi Sunak 35% (–)

Changes +/- 22 Jan.

Different pollsters get different results with this measurement. Trend across all of them though is the gap widening.
    Redfield were the only one to show any lead for Sunak
  • Options
    Well that’s Gaby Logan’s career done for. Notable the critical comments in response are from bearded men.

Plus ca change.

https://twitter.com/gabbylogan/status/1619819571950800897?s=61&t=INecYdQ8LUeYxnCgnjXQSw
  • Options
    Deleted
  • Options
    @martinboon: I helped run focus groups for the Tories before and after ‘97 and the hostility and invective toward them now feels… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1620113763381960704
  • Options

I read Wright's book Spycatcher and it did not exactly paint the security services of the time in a flattering light.
    Wasn’t the best written as I recall
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,558

Especially Peter Wright. He made himself appear a conspiracy obsessed loon who was grossly insubordinate, and borderline treasonous. Which he was.
  • Options

Keir Starmer 41% (+1)
    Rishi Sunak 35% (–)

Changes +/- 22 Jan.

One consequence of "Labour, Lib Dem and Green votes are all interchangeable", as we've been repeatedly assured here BTL, is that surely those answering Sunak will mostly vote Tory, whereas the same can't be said of Sir Keir and Labour.
  • Options
    This certainly feels more run up to 1997 than 1992. Ahead of 1992, Major's popularity helped drive a rebound for his party. Ahead of 1997, entrenched public hostility to Cons dragged Major's ratings down.

Since taking office, a more popular Sunak has only been able to stabilise Con polling at post-partygate Johnson levels. Better than Truss but still awful. Prospects of further recovery are dim if the weight of public hostility to Cons is now dragging PM's personal approvals down.

Rob Ford is calling it

https://twitter.com/robfordmancs/status/1620026958003245056
  • Options
    Sunak has fallen from -2 to -29 in three months. And there's no one in the Tory ranks - Johnson included - more popular.
  • Options

Keir Starmer 41% (+1)
    Rishi Sunak 35% (–)

Changes +/- 22 Jan.

Redfield were the only one to show any lead for Sunak
    Not sure. Opinium probably did.

The point is, the gaps opening the longer the voters are exposed to PM Sunak.

The Tories really would, get a better election result with Boris, even now.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,558
    edited January 2023

Labour leads by 21%.

Labour 49% (+1)
    Conservative 28% (+2)
    Liberal Democrat 8% (-1)
    Reform UK 5% (-1)
    Green 5% (+1)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 22 January

As a found member of the Royal Society For The Prevention Of Cruelty To Statistical Data...

I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible that you may be mistaken.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,895
    "Army’s ‘information warfare’ unit monitored Covid lockdown critics

Whistleblower reveals specialist military team spent time ‘monitoring the social media posts of ordinary, scared people’"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/01/29/armys-information-warfare-unit-monitored-covid-lockdown-critics/
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    Sandpit said:

Boris Johnson is a genuine Ukranian national hero.

Without the UK involvement a year ago, many other leaders and countries might not have been persuaded of the need to commit to arming the defenders.
    Maybe he could have asked them for a whip round?
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    American charity law seems to be totally screwed up:

Mr and Mrs Sussex ‘raised’ $13m, and ‘donated’ $3m last year, according to accounts. Apparently, that’s okay.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2023/01/30/duke-duchess-sussex-archewell-foundation-afghan-refugees-donate/
  • Options

Labour leads by 21%.

Labour 49% (+1)
    Conservative 28% (+2)
    Liberal Democrat 8% (-1)
    Reform UK 5% (-1)
    Green 5% (+1)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 22 January

Oh Moon, not again
    What are you arguing about? A government has the sort of ultimate bad weeks on news this one just had and leaps +2 in polls and cuts Labours lead.

As much as I would argue, and as much as I loved being a shepherdess, I am now back in London as I was getting to feel very sex starved. Good Night 😇
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,127
    Sandpit said:

Mr and Mrs Sussex ‘raised’ $13m, and ‘donated’ $3m last year, according to accounts. Apparently, that’s okay.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2023/01/30/duke-duchess-sussex-archewell-foundation-afghan-refugees-donate/

$10m was the 'service' charge.
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

I just watched a short bit of the 1968 film "The Swimmer", with Burt Lancaster. A girl in it references how she met her boyfriend through computer dating...

(The olden sort, where you send in details and they put it in a computer (yeah, right), and you get matches sent back.)

It's quite a peculiar film all round. Haven't watched it for years mind you (I think it was part of the 'Moviedrome' series) - but my memory of it was 'this is quite odd'. I should dig up a copy and give it another go.
    I remember having been told it was a “great movie” watching it with growing bewilderment. “Man having a nervous breakdown in upper middle class America” seemed to be the plot
  • Options

Wasn’t the best written as I recall
    I have read worse. It was interesting in a slow car crash sort of way.....
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,059

Sandpit said:

$10m was the 'service' charge.
    That's not necessarily true. It's supposed to be a Foundation, so their goal is presumably to build reserves and then disburse out of the investment income.
  • Options
    Has anyone heard of an EV startup called Arrival?

https://www.theverge.com/2023/1/30/23577753/arrival-layoff-50-percent-ev-startup-new-ceo

Arrival, which announced last year that it was winding down its UK operations in favor of refocusing its business in the US, became a publicly traded company in March 2021 after merging with a special purpose acquisition company, or SPAC. Founded in 2015, Arrival was developing electric delivery vans for UPS as a customer, as well as ridehailing cars for Uber and public buses. It also has backing from Hyundai and Kia. Arrival's layoffs will bring the company down to a workforce of 800 employees. The company claims that it expects to halve its ongoing cost of operating the business to approximately $30 million per quarter when accounting for reductions in real estate and other third-party costs. Arrival says it currently has $205 million in cash on hand.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,059
    Selebian said:

The GMail (possibly other providers, too?) thing of ignoring everything after + added to your email address is handy. I always use myemailaddress+dodgycompany@gmail.com when signing up for things. Easy to cull (just filter everything matching that to bin/spam) and also easy to track who has passed on your email address and to whom.
    When we're dousing people with spam, we replace everything after the "+" with "ha!betyouthoughtyouwereclever"
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,787
    Sandpit said:

So a considerable amount to reserves, so as to be able to pay out long term? As a Charity Trustee, I approve.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Without the UK involvement a year ago, many other leaders and countries might not have been persuaded of the need to commit to arming the defenders.
    Especially since a lot of the talk out of European capitals was “what’s the point, they’re going to lose anyway”?

In fairness to his predecessors, the UK’s pro Ukraine policy predated Johnson, but Johnson was an effective salesman.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Especially since a lot of the talk out of European capitals was “what’s the point, they’re going to lose anyway”?

In fairness to his predecessors, the UK’s pro Ukraine policy predated Johnson, but Johnson was an effective salesman.
    Correct on all counts. Though the "they're going to lose anyway" argument was also being pushed here on PB.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,517
    edited January 2023
    Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

So a considerable amount to reserves, so as to be able to pay out long term? As a Charity Trustee, I approve.
    Presumably it's just when Tories fuck over Afghan refugees that you take issue.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Yes, due credit to Mr Cameron and Mrs May, for the long-standing policy of arming and training the Ukranian army after the 2014 invasion.

Johnson and Zelensky were both brilliant when it mattered, possibly the right men at the right time.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

They actually gave something to someone.

You DO like to paint with a VERY broad brush. As in "totally screwed up" based on one media report?

(I apologize IF you've actually done extensive research on US laws regarding tax-deductible charities.)
  • Options

Labour leads by 21%.

Labour 49% (+1)
    Conservative 28% (+2)
    Liberal Democrat 8% (-1)
    Reform UK 5% (-1)
    Green 5% (+1)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 22 January

Labour went up by +1, so the net Tory gain is only +1.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited January 2023

Labour leads by 21%.

Labour 49% (+1)
    Conservative 28% (+2)
    Liberal Democrat 8% (-1)
    Reform UK 5% (-1)
    Green 5% (+1)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 22 January

Oh Moon, not again
    What are you arguing about? A government has the sort of ultimate bad weeks on news this one just had and leaps +2 in polls and cuts Labours lead.

As much as I would argue, and as much as I loved being a shepherdess, I am now back in London as I was getting to feel very sex starved. Good Night 😇

Labour leads by 21%.

Labour 49% (+1)
    Conservative 28% (+2)
    Liberal Democrat 8% (-1)
    Reform UK 5% (-1)
    Green 5% (+1)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 22 January

Oh Moon, not again

As there's been so much discussion of old films today, perhaps you need a 1960's dose of the immaculately catlike Imogen Hassall, from Carry on Loving and "When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkkoxuOyxxE
  • Options

Sandpit said:

You DO like to paint with a VERY broad brush. As in "totally screwed up" based on one media report?

(I apologize IF you've actually done extensive research on US laws regarding tax-deductible charities.)
    It is a little miserly. The Duke of York gave away £12m (with a little help from mama) ENTIRELY from the goodness of his heart with no self interest whatsoever involved.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,669

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Presumably it's just when Tories fuck over Afghan refugees that you take issue.
    This is just a bizarre comment. Do you have any evidence they have done anything wrong? They might have done, but there was nothing in that article to suggest so, so what is your beef?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

A lot of US universities do this as it is a condition of them getting various federal grants or certifications from state and federal authorities. It is rather like a scholarship scheme. The difference is that at the end, although you get a certificate, you do not get credits towards a proper degree.

The Reservoir Geomechanics course run by Stanford is world leading and considered to be essential for anyone in my line of work. It is also bloody hard. But well worth doing.

It is also worth looking through the range of courses offered by these US universities if you have some spare time and like learning just for its own sake. After the Reservoir Geomechanics course I did a Stanford course on Nuclear Terrorism which was run by the former US Defence Secretary William J. Perry.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,974

ohnotnow said:

I remember having been told it was a “great movie” watching it with growing bewilderment. “Man having a nervous breakdown in upper middle class America” seemed to be the plot
    Sounds like perfect movie to appeal to movie critics in that case, if there isn't something about the holocaust or lesbians in a time/place where it homosexuality is illegal.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,974
    Taz said:

Well that’s Gaby Logan’s career done for. Notable the critical comments in response are from bearded men.

Plus ca change.

https://twitter.com/gabbylogan/status/1619819571950800897?s=61&t=INecYdQ8LUeYxnCgnjXQSw

The criticisms of JK Rowling could all be true (they're not), and the hysteria about her would still be unhinged.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,669
    Driver said:

Keir Starmer 41% (+1)
    Rishi Sunak 35% (–)

Changes +/- 22 Jan.

One consequence of "Labour, Lib Dem and Green votes are all interchangeable", as we've been repeatedly assured here BTL, is that surely those answering Sunak will mostly vote Tory, whereas the same can't be said of Sir Keir and Labour.
    Some will be interchangeable, some won't. Mine isn't. I have never voted Labour.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

This was a huge part of the charm of 80's EU. Beardedly earnest academics with flares who already seemed to belong to a slightly different world ; as I remember Look Around You satirised parts of this ethos perfectly. Now it's gone I'd rather see it back.
    He's a highly intelligent, and very nice, man. Oddly enough, one of my nieces is studying something at a different university, and it turned out my uncle (her grand-uncle) created part of the course. They honestly did not know before she started at the uni, as it's not strictly geology.
    When I did Geology at Cardiff in the mid 80s the OU Geology course was considered possibly the best Geology degree course in the country. Certainly most of the Geology departments around the country would sign up to take their 1st year students on the OU Field study week which was based at Durham.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

It is a little miserly. The Duke of York gave away £12m (with a little help from mama) ENTIRELY from the goodness of his heart with no self interest whatsoever involved.
    There was a great ditty at the time

The Grand Old Duke of York
    He had twelve million quid
    So he gave it to someone he never met
    For something he never did…
  • Options

Sandpit said:

I’m aware of the 5% rule, by which such foundations are obliged to donate 5% of their fund annually, just to stop it being a total expenses monster for the proprietors and their personal lifestyle.
    https://www.ncfp.org/2008/10/15/what-is-the-5-payout-rule/
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,895

This certainly feels more run up to 1997 than 1992. Ahead of 1992, Major's popularity helped drive a rebound for his party. Ahead of 1997, entrenched public hostility to Cons dragged Major's ratings down.

Since taking office, a more popular Sunak has only been able to stabilise Con polling at post-partygate Johnson levels. Better than Truss but still awful. Prospects of further recovery are dim if the weight of public hostility to Cons is now dragging PM's personal approvals down.

Rob Ford is calling it

If the Tories ratings don't improve by the end of the year I think they'll probably replace Sunak with Badenoch.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,886
    Andy_JS said:

Rob Ford is calling it

If the Tories ratings don't improve by the end of the year I think they'll probably replace Sunak with Badenoch.
    Perhaps they'll hope for the same impact Jacinda Ardern had on Labour's fortunes in New Zealand. That would require Nicola Sturgeon to play the role of Winston Peters...
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Rob Ford is calling it

That last bit sounds like wishcasting.
  • Options
    Manhattan Prosecutors Will Begin Presenting Trump Case to Grand Jury
    The Manhattan district attorney’s decision represents a dramatic escalation of the inquiry, and potentially sets the case on a path toward criminal charges against the former president.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/30/nyregion/trump-stormy-daniels-grand-jury.html

• Options

Labour leads by 21%.

Labour 49% (+1)
    Conservative 28% (+2)
    Liberal Democrat 8% (-1)
    Reform UK 5% (-1)
    Green 5% (+1)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 22 January

Oh Moon, not again

Labour leads by 21%.

Labour 49% (+1)
    Conservative 28% (+2)
    Liberal Democrat 8% (-1)
    Reform UK 5% (-1)
    Green 5% (+1)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 22 January

Oh Moon, not again

As there's been so much discussion of old films today, perhaps you need a 1960's dose of the immaculately catlike Imogen Hassall, from Carry on Loving and "When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth".

A wonderful woman, so sad how her life ended. Her second husband, Andrew Knox, also took his own life. Jumped off the Jersey ferry and drowned.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Rob Ford is calling it

That last bit sounds like wishcasting.
    Yes, but wishcasting for who? Starmer? I can't think of anything better desgined to annoy the electorate. JRM maybe.

Sunak might not be good as a PM, but he's surely better than any of the alternatives.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Taz said:

Plus ca change.

The criticisms of JK Rowling could all be true (they're not), and the hysteria about her would still be unhinged.
    Someone yesterday made a rather defamatory claim about her on here.

Not wise with someone so litigious.

I’ve asked people, who make absurd claims about her, to demonstrate exactly where and when she has posted hatred for trans people. Her position is known but I’ve never seen her demonstrate hatred. I’ve seen threats against her, many threats against her, but I’ve never seen her mark any threats.
  • Options

Manhattan Prosecutors Will Begin Presenting Trump Case to Grand Jury
    The Manhattan district attorney’s decision represents a dramatic escalation of the inquiry, and potentially sets the case on a path toward criminal charges against the former president.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/30/nyregion/trump-stormy-daniels-grand-jury.html

Lock him up!
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

This was a huge part of the charm of 80's EU. Beardedly earnest academics with flares who already seemed to belong to a slightly different world ; as I remember Look Around You satirised parts of this ethos perfectly. Now it's gone I'd rather see it back.
    He's a highly intelligent, and very nice, man. Oddly enough, one of my nieces is studying something at a different university, and it turned out my uncle (her grand-uncle) created part of the course. They honestly did not know before she started at the uni, as it's not strictly geology.
    When I did Geology at Cardiff in the mid 80s the OU Geology course was considered possibly the best Geology degree course in the country. Certainly most of the Geology departments around the country would sign up to take their 1st year students on the OU Field study week which was based at Durham.
    And to do that with Geology, which is incredibly hands and eyes on, is a heck of an achievement. Remote learning is awfully hard to do well, because you don't get the second-by-second feedback from students.

All that really useful experience, and we kind of let it turn to mush.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,571
    kle4 said:

Taz said:

Plus ca change.

It is possible, is it not, to like and approve of somebody without agreeing with absolutely all their views? I rather like J.K. Rowling, and agree with most of her views. But not all.

I guess there's a modern tendency to damn people because of one particular issue that you don't agree with them on, and ignore all the issues that you do agree about. It's a bit disappointing, as it fuels conflict.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,202
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited January 2023
    Taz said:

Labour leads by 21%.

Labour 49% (+1)
    Conservative 28% (+2)
    Liberal Democrat 8% (-1)
    Reform UK 5% (-1)
    Green 5% (+1)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 22 January

Oh Moon, not again

Labour leads by 21%.

Labour 49% (+1)
    Conservative 28% (+2)
    Liberal Democrat 8% (-1)
    Reform UK 5% (-1)
    Green 5% (+1)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 22 January

Oh Moon, not again

A wonderful woman, so sad how her life ended. Her second husband, Andrew Knox, also took his own life. Jumped off the Jersey ferry and drowned.
    Oh dear. What a sad and predictable story of unhappiness between the glamour, as so often. An incredible woman, as you say.

More happily, another '60s and '70s glamourpuss Rabbit might like, Valerie Leon, seems to have survived the industry better, from a video that came up alongside. Here she is her heyday :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5ENX7HjD10
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options

Taz said:

Labour leads by 21%.

Labour 49% (+1)
    Conservative 28% (+2)
    Liberal Democrat 8% (-1)
    Reform UK 5% (-1)
    Green 5% (+1)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 22 January

Oh Moon, not again

Labour leads by 21%.

Labour 49% (+1)
    Conservative 28% (+2)
    Liberal Democrat 8% (-1)
    Reform UK 5% (-1)
    Green 5% (+1)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 22 January

Oh Moon, not again

Oh dear. What a sad and predictable story of unhappiness between the glamour, as so often. An incredible woman, as you say.

More happily, another '60s and '70s glamourpuss Rabbit might like, Valerie Leon, seems to have survived the industry better, from a video that came up alongside. Here she is her heyday :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5ENX7HjD10
    She’s terrific in twitter too. Really engages with her fans.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,886
    Evening all :)

A busy day of polling and a lot to consider.

Plenty of coverage of the Ipsos numbers (understandably) but the fieldwork was 18-25 January so in essence ancient history. I note a 22 point Labour lead (49-27) among those expressing a preference.

On then to Deltapoll (fieldwork 26-30 January) so more recent and the pollster which recently has given the lowest Labour and highest Conservative vote shares and therefore the smallest gap between the parties. It also consistently finds fewer Reform supporters but the addition of Conservative and Reform (33%) mirrors the numbers in other polls.

Looking at the Deltapoll data tables, Labour ahead by just 10 among men (44-34) and the Conservatives lead by 12 (41-29) among those aged 65 or over. The LDs are at 13% among the over 65s and 12% among the 35-54 age group but 3-4% elsewhere which seems odd.

The Conservative 2019 vote splits 71% Loyal, 14% Labour and 7% Reform but this excludes Don't Knows and the cynic in me might think they've simply shoved all the DKs into the "Loyal" column. We also have Labour only 10 points ahead in London (42-32), but six points ahead in rest of the South (41-35).

If you want this evening's first giggle, look at the Deltapoll Midlands subsample which splits Conservative 42%, Labour 36%, LD 17%. The Scottish sub sample is another to savour so plenty of ifs, buts and maybes around @HYUFD's favourite pollster if I'm being honest.

Redfield & Wilton has the headline gap down to 21 points (49-28). Among those intending to vote, Labour leads 43-24 with DKs on 13%. The Conservatives lead 36-30 among those aged 65 and over. The 2019 Conservative vote splits 52% Conservative, 23% Labour, 14% DK and 7% Reform (that's one of the biggest direct-to-Labour numbers I've seen).

Taking out the DKs, the Labour lead among men is just 10% but among women it's 34%. Among those aged 65 and over, the Conservative lead is 7 points (41-34). The 2019 Conservative vote splits 61% Conservative, 27% Labour.

The area sub samples once again interest - whereas Deltapoll had the SNP ahead of Labour by 43-39, R&W has SNP on 38%, Conservative on 25% and Labour on 21%.

The one I always look at is England - this time Labour leads 52-29 with the LDs on 8%.

In 2019, England voted for the Conservatives 47-34 so that's an 18% swing from Conservative to Labour. That takes us to Wellingborough, the 250th most marginal Conservative seat which would fall on that swing. Consider tactical voting and a seat like Stratford-on-Avon with its near 20,000 majority could be vulnerable if Labour voters switched in sufficient numbers to the LDs.

The R&W numbers would suggest the Conservatives holding their vote in Scotland and dropping 18 points in England - yes, I'm not convinced either.
This discussion has been closed.