Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The time’s come for LAB leader punters to move on from Burnham? – politicalbetting.com

2»

Comments

• Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,376
    HYUFD said:

Right now this is 1997

There are times when I think the next election, 2024, perhaps, will go down in history as a greater victory than 1997.

In many respects the position of the Tories is a lot weaker - the period of Liz Truss as PM is without comparison in British political history. Even historically very poor leaders, deep in English and Scottish history, took a lot longer to bring matters to a point of crisis - Edward II, John (Plantagenet), Mary Queen of Scots.

I suppose you could point to Lady Jane Grey's Nine Days as Queen, but in many respects that was part of the political leadership of the Duke of Northumberland, who had led the government for about three years - eons compared to Liz Truss.

We should not be surprised when unprecedented political events lead to unprecedented electoral consequences, and that is what I expect for the next general election.
    Though at least Liz avoided being beheaded, unlikely poor Lady Jane (Boris being the modern day Northumberland)
    One of the advantages of democracy particularly relevant to political leaders - Putin and Xi may find this a painful lesson to learn, as Saddam and Gaddafi did before them.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927
    This is a funny way of raising a serious point:

“My name is Bill. And I fly private”

https://youtube.com/watch?v=63KXfwC9BdU

US airlines have screwed the pooch, and everyone who can afford it is now renting their own plane instead. It’s a trend that accelerated during the pandemic - but private aviation is like heroin, no-one who’s experienced it, is going back to flying commercial any time soon.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    HYUFD said:

Yes, I would now make Wes Streeting favourite to succeed Starmer not Burnham. The next Labour leader may then automatically become PM given on current polling the leadership change would take place when Labour are in government.

Burnham's time was in 2015 but that has passed. He was second to Corbyn then but had Labour picked Burnham instead of Corbyn Labour might even have got most seats in the next general election ahead of May's Tories and formed a Labour led government, not merely a hung parliament as Corbyn did but with the Tories still in power

It's important to think of the circumstances in which a new leadership contest might arise. One would be if Starmer became suddenly unable to continue (illness, etc.), which doesn't seem likely any time soon, but of course can happen. I agree that Streeting would then be favourite, though he is disliked by some remaining Corbynites as he has been prominent in the squeeze on the left in the party.

The other main possibility in the next 7 years (after which it's a bit silly to tie up money betting on anything) would be after a shock defeat in 2024. In that unlikely event, the centrist "safety first" approach would be out of favour - since the whole point is to win the election - and I'd think Streeting would then struggle. If Burnham had won a seat in that election, he would be a possible candidate, especially if Labour had underperformed in the Red Wall.

My odds overall would be Reeves 3-1, Streeting 3-1, Burnham 20-1, 5-1 bar. But tying up money on it seems a bad idea (which I guess is why people aren't bothering to lay Burnham on Betfair) - people who think that Labour will lose next year can get good odds betting on that directly.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    Not really a Sunak fan but seems more able to do an event lIke this and sound relatively convincing compared to SKS
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,585

Right now this is 1997

There are times when I think the next election, 2024, perhaps, will go down in history as a greater victory than 1997.

In many respects the position of the Tories is a lot weaker - the period of Liz Truss as PM is without comparison in British political history. Even historically very poor leaders, deep in English and Scottish history, took a lot longer to bring matters to a point of crisis - Edward II, John (Plantagenet), Mary Queen of Scots.

I suppose you could point to Lady Jane Grey's Nine Days as Queen, but in many respects that was part of the political leadership of the Duke of Northumberland, who had led the government for about three years - eons compared to Liz Truss.

We should not be surprised when unprecedented political events lead to unprecedented electoral consequences, and that is what I expect for the next general election.
    In the age of the Internet I don't suppose Richard Cromwell or James II would have lasted long - their downfalls fairly speedy by the standards of the 17th century.

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,082

Not really a Sunak fan but seems more able to do an event lIke this and sound relatively convincing compared to SKS

Sunak does seem to have a grasp of minute detail, while being completely unable to see the bigger picture.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097

HYUFD said:

Yes, I would now make Wes Streeting favourite to succeed Starmer not Burnham. The next Labour leader may then automatically become PM given on current polling the leadership change would take place when Labour are in government.

Burnham's time was in 2015 but that has passed. He was second to Corbyn then but had Labour picked Burnham instead of Corbyn Labour might even have got most seats in the next general election ahead of May's Tories and formed a Labour led government, not merely a hung parliament as Corbyn did but with the Tories still in power

It's important to think of the circumstances in which a new leadership contest might arise. One would be if Starmer became suddenly unable to continue (illness, etc.), which doesn't seem likely any time soon, but of course can happen. I agree that Streeting would then be favourite, though he is disliked by some remaining Corbynites as he has been prominent in the squeeze on the left in the party.

The other main possibility in the next 7 years (after which it's a bit silly to tie up money betting on anything) would be after a shock defeat in 2024. In that unlikely event, the centrist "safety first" approach would be out of favour - since the whole point is to win the election - and I'd think Streeting would then struggle. If Burnham had won a seat in that election, he would be a possible candidate, especially if Labour had underperformed in the Red Wall.

My odds overall would be Reeves 3-1, Streeting 3-1, Burnham 20-1, 5-1 bar. But tying up money on it seems a bad idea (which I guess is why people aren't bothering to lay Burnham on Betfair) - people who think that Labour will lose next year can get good odds betting on that directly.
    Or you could argue even then Starmer wasn't centrist enough, Streeting is more Blairite than Starmer as well as Burnham
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,512

HYUFD said:

Right now this is 1997

Though at least Liz avoided being beheaded, unlikely poor Lady Jane (Boris being the modern day Northumberland)
    One of the advantages of democracy particularly relevant to political leaders - Putin and Xi may find this a painful lesson to learn, as Saddam and Gaddafi did before them.
    The whole point of representative democracy is that we can have revolution every 5 years or so, without the inconvenience of a civil war.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,018

Dura_Ace said:
    Hey Dura, I asked you a few months ago about whether I’m mad or not to be considering an L322 as a glorified dog car.

Haven’t bought anything yet - still got a few months left on my current lease car - but the more YouTube I watch of L322 owners doing 12 month running and maintenance costs the colder my feet get.

What’s your view on a 10ish year old XC90? More reliable?
    I have no direct experience of an XC90 but it can't be as bad as an L322. People who have them seem to love them. At that age I'd also consider a 2nd Gen X5. Single turbo 3.0d.
  • Options
    @MrHarryCole: Tetchy PM accuses the Press of asking too many questions at a QandA session.
  • Options
    edited January 2023

HYUFD said:

Right now this is 1997

And Charles 1, Tsar Nicholas, Louis XVI, Ceaucescu, Mussolini etc.

Yes, at least with parliamentary democracy
    you are less likely to leave office having been executed.

Truss may no longer be PM but she is still alive and a millionaire
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,134
    PJH said:

PJH said:

PJH said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

How do EVs help the environment if much of the electricity to charge them is produced using fossil fuels?

Depends on the fuel. Vehicle efficiency. Power plant efficiency

1 litre of petrol is 8.9 kwh / 2.3 kg of CO2
    1 litre of diesel is 10 kwh / 2.7 kg CO2.

So the ~ 550 miles I get out of ~ 50 litres (500 kwh) of diesel produces 135 kg of CO2 - Give or take

4 miles/kg CO2.

How many miles does an EV get out of a kg of CO2 produced ?
    That's increasing every year as renewables increase, surely?
    What you need is called a Well To Wheels Calculation. This is a the calculation of CO2 emitted from the start of energy production to the actual driving on the road.
    Not really, since there are so many disputed factors (the wood pellet burning mentioned above is an example) over so many different modalities, and what is being described is constantly changing.

The point is that the difference between EVs and ICEs is very large on current technology. Arguing over details is entertaining, but it doesn't really shift the calculus.
    The relevant difference is 4 minutes to put 400 miles range into my diesel Vs the guy I met at a service station over Christmas who queued for an hour to plug his tesla in for a rationed 90 minutes to get him the next 120 miles.
    This sums up where I am. Forced to get a new car this year by the ULEZ, I find there is currently no vehicle on the market that meets my needs. I buy new and run it until it falls apart 12-15 years later (so already fuming at having to dump my perfectly good 9 year old Mondeo).

I want something Focus sized that is good for at least 12 years so it has to be an EV. Needs a minimum range of 300 miles (nothing is there yet) and needs to fit down my driveway (nearly all models are too wide and also most of them are just too big for my taste). I'm also unconvinced the battery life is good enough yet either. So I'm inclined to sit it out for a couple of years.

I don't really like the idea of buying a second hand car. But I'm increasingly coming to the view that I will have to so maybe this is the time in my life when I could indulge in either an old MG or Land Rover and just hire a proper car whenever I need to do long trips. No road tax, no ULEZ and no depreciation in the meantime.
    If you buy new and run it into the ground 12 years later wouldn't it make more sense to buy a two year old car at a huge discount vs new and run it into the ground 10 years later instead? You obviously have no qualms about driving an old car so why pay through the nose to have a new one for a couple of years? Are you getting some kind of tax break for the new car?
    Yes could do that, but I think a 2-year old car has the same issues as a new one, it needs to be an EV. Maybe an older hybrid might work for me. I haven't made up my mind yet by any means. I don't use a car much, a (decreasing) element of Dad's taxi service, odd days out at weekends and long distance weeks or weekends away. I could probably live without altogether to be honest.
    You might want to check that, unless you're thinking of the situation ten years down the road.

Most petrol vehicles under 16 years old or diesel vehicles under 6 years old already meet the emissions standards.

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone/ways-to-meet-the-standard
    Yes, I'm thinking of fuel availabilty in 2033 (for example) or the fact it might just be taxed to hell by then
    There is no way that the charging infrastructure will allow a full phase out of ICE cars in 10 years time so I would doubt that the government will be trying to force them off the roads at that point.
    We had to buy a new car when we were hit by the original ULEZ zone. We switched our 9 year old diesel for the 2 year old version of the same car, it was quite straightforward. I did toy with the idea of a Tesla Model X but was deterred by the cost, reliability issues and the width (there are loads of width restrictions near us). I am guessing our next car will be electric, by then we probably won't need such a big one.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

It seems Zahawi is blaming everyone but himself for his own predicament.

What a petit morceau de merde he is.

It's a very rare thing for a politician to put his hands up and say "fair cop".
    Up to a point, but the grumpy entitlement shown by NZ does feel like a new distasteful development.

Ministers serve at the PM's arbitrary pleasure. Rishi doesn't have to give a reason at all.

(I wonder if the problem is the one that you risk in meritocracy, namely that the winners think that all their success is down to their brilliance, forgetting all the random bits of good fortune that also came their way.)
    Yep, it's an extension of the mindset of the millionaire business people that now proliferate in politics. Miraculously all of them seem to have made it entirely through their own efforts and in spite of rather than because they live in a largely prosperous and peaceful developed state. Any setbacks are seen as an insult to their unique talents, and down to outside factors rather than mistakes they've made. Also another facet of Trumpism of course.
    It was there long, long before Trump got anywhere near politics.

And it isn't just "millionaires" or "business people". It's what I call the New Upper 10,000 - they believe that they are ruling class, by right. So whatever they do is Blessed. And any annoying little incidents where little people get broken are not their fault, because they Followed Best Practise. And Lessons Will Be Learned. In their new job, which pays more than the one they fucked up.

The local council instituted cycle lanes - shut down bus lanes to do it. They have now been repeatedly digging up the roads to rework them for about 18 months or so. So, because the cyclists have now got nowhere to actually cycle, they are at greater risk from vehicles on the shrunken roads. Strangely, this has resulted in a number of accidents.

The expert on cycle lanes, working for the Council, furrowed his brow at a meeting (online), in the style of Sir Ian Blair and declared it was all very hard for him. But its OK, because he is off to another council, out of London, to a bigger job....
    I'm not sure that the guy who plans cycle lanes for the local council really qualifies for the NU10k.
    Apparently, he is on more than Cressida Dick. Consultancy, of course....

So he has the money, and apparently the immunity from reality.
    The private sector is full of well-paid nobodies though (including me!) Am I one of the top 10k influential/powerful people in the UK? No.
    The dividing point, for me, is power over public policy.

The person in question, after mucking up implementation of public transport infrastructure is to be given a bigger job mucking up public transport infrastructure.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,732

A thousand new Ambulances sounds good but if they are just making a longer queue outside a&e

Might need a few paramedics to drive them too.
  • Options
    edited January 2023

Right now this is 1997

Summer 1995, the Wikiworm poll average was C23 L53, so it's not quite as bad for the Conservatives as that yet. However, Major's "put up or shut up" election saw him gain about 5 points fairly quickly- mostly from the Lib Dems. That took the Conservatives up to about 28. Then there was a gentle drift up to 31 as Britain Boomed over the following two years.

The Conservatives need something - probably several somethings- to avoid falling behind the Major trajectory.

And whilst 165 seats was recoverable, there comes a point where the remnant is just too small to be viable. They can't fall that low... Can they?
    In 1931 Labour fell to just 52 seats having won 287 seats in 1929. In 1935 they rose to 154 seats, in 1945 Labour then won a landslide victory with 393 seats.

Events can change
  • Options

PJH said:

PJH said:

PJH said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

How do EVs help the environment if much of the electricity to charge them is produced using fossil fuels?

So the ~ 550 miles I get out of ~ 50 litres (500 kwh) of diesel produces 135 kg of CO2 - Give or take

4 miles/kg CO2.

What you need is called a Well To Wheels Calculation. This is a the calculation of CO2 emitted from the start of energy production to the actual driving on the road.
    Not really, since there are so many disputed factors (the wood pellet burning mentioned above is an example) over so many different modalities, and what is being described is constantly changing.

The point is that the difference between EVs and ICEs is very large on current technology. Arguing over details is entertaining, but it doesn't really shift the calculus.
    The relevant difference is 4 minutes to put 400 miles range into my diesel Vs the guy I met at a service station over Christmas who queued for an hour to plug his tesla in for a rationed 90 minutes to get him the next 120 miles.
    This sums up where I am. Forced to get a new car this year by the ULEZ, I find there is currently no vehicle on the market that meets my needs. I buy new and run it until it falls apart 12-15 years later (so already fuming at having to dump my perfectly good 9 year old Mondeo).

I want something Focus sized that is good for at least 12 years so it has to be an EV. Needs a minimum range of 300 miles (nothing is there yet) and needs to fit down my driveway (nearly all models are too wide and also most of them are just too big for my taste). I'm also unconvinced the battery life is good enough yet either. So I'm inclined to sit it out for a couple of years.

I don't really like the idea of buying a second hand car. But I'm increasingly coming to the view that I will have to so maybe this is the time in my life when I could indulge in either an old MG or Land Rover and just hire a proper car whenever I need to do long trips. No road tax, no ULEZ and no depreciation in the meantime.
    If you buy new and run it into the ground 12 years later wouldn't it make more sense to buy a two year old car at a huge discount vs new and run it into the ground 10 years later instead? You obviously have no qualms about driving an old car so why pay through the nose to have a new one for a couple of years? Are you getting some kind of tax break for the new car?
    Yes could do that, but I think a 2-year old car has the same issues as a new one, it needs to be an EV. Maybe an older hybrid might work for me. I haven't made up my mind yet by any means. I don't use a car much, a (decreasing) element of Dad's taxi service, odd days out at weekends and long distance weeks or weekends away. I could probably live without altogether to be honest.
    You might want to check that, unless you're thinking of the situation ten years down the road.

Most petrol vehicles under 16 years old or diesel vehicles under 6 years old already meet the emissions standards.

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone/ways-to-meet-the-standard
    Yes, I'm thinking of fuel availabilty in 2033 (for example) or the fact it might just be taxed to hell by then
    There is no way that the charging infrastructure will allow a full phase out of ICE cars in 10 years time so I would doubt that the government will be trying to force them off the roads at that point.
    We had to buy a new car when we were hit by the original ULEZ zone. We switched our 9 year old diesel for the 2 year old version of the same car, it was quite straightforward. I did toy with the idea of a Tesla Model X but was deterred by the cost, reliability issues and the width (there are loads of width restrictions near us). I am guessing our next car will be electric, by then we probably won't need such a big one.
    The Model X is shit for reliability - and very expensive for what you get. The Y is much better.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Right now this is 1997

In the age of the Internet I don't suppose Richard Cromwell or James II would have lasted long - their downfalls fairly speedy by the standards of the 17th century.
    That's true, and both precipitated major constitutional changes, the Restoration of 1660 and the Glorious Revolution of 1688.

I don't expect Starmer to attempt anything so grandiose, so a few electoral records will have to suffice.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Right now this is 1997

And Charles 1, Tsar Nicholas, Louis XVI, Ceaucescu, Mussolini etc.

Yes, at least with parliamentary democracy
    you are less likely to leave office having been executed.

Truss may no longer be PM but she is still alive and a millionaire
    Which is part of the reason why overthrowing democratic governments at election is possible.

In a dictatorship - "Remember, you're only president for life"
  • Options

A thousand new Ambulances sounds good but if they are just making a longer queue outside a&e

Remember when you told us how good Johnson was? Are you sure you want to support the Tories again?

Hope you're keeping well BJO
    Hope you are well too CHB

From memory my only real area of support for Johnson was the levelling up Agenda that has led to a number of transformational changes in my local area (Staveley).

I also contrast that to what previous Tory and Labour Governments did for Staveley (Bugger All)

What investments in the NHS are you expecting from a SKS/Reeves led Government?

I go for the aforesaid bugger all

I will not vote at all in GE2024 or vote Green but will be glad to see the Tories out without expectation of anything good from Lab.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,134

PJH said:

PJH said:

PJH said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

4 miles/kg CO2.

The Model X is shit for reliability - and very expensive for what you get. The Y is much better.
    Yes that was my thinking. The Y wasn't available, at least not with 7 seats, when the ULEZ came in though.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,009

Yep - it shows that you are not investigating the problem and identifying the blocks just grabbing the quickest fix - and 1 that won't work because the people required to staff the new ambulances don't exist.
  • Options
    Two people you’d never thought you might see in the same room.

Nigel Farage interviewing Polly Toynbee for GB News.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=3u2mOt2d-k4

Fair play to both of them, and proof that civilised debate is still possible, among people who have only their love of proportional representation in common.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Right now this is 1997

Summer 1995, the Wikiworm poll average was C23 L53, so it's not quite as bad for the Conservatives as that yet. However, Major's "put up or shut up" election saw him gain about 5 points fairly quickly- mostly from the Lib Dems. That took the Conservatives up to about 28. Then there was a gentle drift up to 31 as Britain Boomed over the following two years.

The Conservatives need something - probably several somethings- to avoid falling behind the Major trajectory.

And whilst 165 seats was recoverable, there comes a point where the remnant is just too small to be viable. They can't fall that low... Can they?
    In 1931 Labour fell to just 52 seats having won 287 seats in 1929. In 1935 they rose to 154 seats, in 1945 Labour then won a landslide victory with 393 seats.

Events can change
    Corbyn was leader in 1931 I believe
  • Options
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,951

Remember when you told us how good Johnson was? Are you sure you want to support the Tories again?

From memory my only real area of support for Johnson was the levelling up Agenda that has led to a number of transformational changes in my local area (Staveley).

I also contrast that to what previous Tory and Labour Governments did for Staveley (Bugger All)

I will not vote at all in GE2024 or vote Green but will be glad to see the Tories out without expectation of anything good from Lab.
    Money spent in the NHS is at an all time high. It doesn't seem to be that we're getting much of a return on our investment...
  • Options
    I see AL Jazeera is saying Ukraine has deliberately targeted a Hospital in East Ukraine killing 14 and wounding dozens of Patients (from Russian Sources)

Any verification or is it rubbish?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Money spent in the NHS is at an all time high. It doesn't seem to be that we're getting much of a return on our investment...
    Do you know why Money spent in the NHS is at an all time high?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,270

Really?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,956

I see AL Jazeera is saying Ukraine has deliberately targeted a Hospital in East Ukraine killing 14 and wounding dozens of Patients (from Russian Sources)

Likely the DPR/LPR/Russian army/Wagner forces had military hardware v close to the hospital. Same story for when it happens the other way round.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,732

Mortimer said:

Easy one that.

Over 65's are the heaviest users of health care, and are more numerous both in absolute numbers and as a percentage of the population. We need to run to stand still.

• Options
    edited January 2023
    HYUFD said:

Right now this is 1997

Events can change
    One of the factors that helped Labour then was a continuing strength, and then recovery, in local government - for example, Labour remained the second party in Liverpool local elections, and won the London Country Council elections of 1934.

If the Tories were to fall behind the Liberal Democrats in this year's local elections, and fail to recover their base in local government when in Westminster opposition, then it would point to a terminal decline.

PR, or STV, for English local government elections might make such an outcome a bit more likely.
  • Options

You literally voted Tory under Johnson, of course you're a Sunak fan!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,956
    I was canvassed the other day by Labour for the locals (District). First time that's happened in my 41 years.
  • Options
    eek said:

Yep - it shows that you are not investigating the problem and identifying the blocks just grabbing the quickest fix - and 1 that won't work because the people required to staff the new ambulances don't exist.
    I am shocked that nobody in the room with Sunak asked why we have record vacancies across the NHS and what impact another year of real term wage cuts will have on those rates.

Not exactly rocket science

Mortimer cant make the link between 13 years of real term pay cuts, massive vacancies of staff and therefore having to pay ridiculous Locum rates with the result record spending buys less and less
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Because if you have an economic good which is free, demand will be limitless?
  • Options

It’s rubbish, Russian propoganda.

Ukranians are not targeting hospitals in Ukraine, and have been bloody well behaved for a country involved in a war. They know that any massive scandals will cause Western military aid to dry up.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

It’s rubbish, Russian propoganda.

Ukranians are not targeting hospitals in Ukraine, and have been bloody well behaved for a country involved in a war. They know that any massive scandals will cause Western military aid to dry up.
    It is also *their country* so there wouldn't be much point in it....
  • Options

I have NEVER voted Tory

I have told you this on many occasions stop lying

You are the one who sometimes vote Tory
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBattery3CorrectHorseBattery3 Posts: 2,757
    edited January 2023

Doing better thanks, glad you're back posting - you always keep me on my toes with good humour :)

Johnson was the worst PM in British history, poor form from you mate.
  • Options

I have NEVER voted Tory

Forgive me but you did spend many months ramping him on here as others can confirm, you said how good Johnson was and how poor Starmer is/was. I will withdraw my accusation re voting for them with an apology but I will not apologise for you supporting the Tories.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Mortimer said:

Easy one that.

Over 65's are the heaviest users of health care, and are more numerous both in absolute numbers and as a percentage of the population. We need to run to stand still.

Get your Pumps

Tories and Labour think we cant afford to stand still
  • Options
    edited January 2023

HYUFD said:

Right now this is 1997

Events can change
    One of the factors that helped Labour then was a continuing strength, and then recovery, in local government - for example, Labour remained the second party in Liverpool local elections, and won the London Country Council elections of 1934.

If the Tories were to fall behind the Liberal Democrats in this year's local elections, and fail to recover their base in local government when in Westminster opposition, then it would point to a terminal decline.

PR, or STV, for English local government elections might make such an outcome a bit more likely.
    I doubt the Tories will fall behind the LDs in council seats, they may even gain some LD seats in May given in May 2019 the LDs won 19% which is much higher than they are polling now and May's Tories just 28%, little changed from now.

PR would see RefUK win seats

• Options
    Is there any reason why the obvious solution to this problem can't be used?

The number of pigs being abandoned is on the rise, according to Ireland's only pig shelter 'My Lovely Pig Rescue'.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2023/0130/1352639-pig-rescue/
  • Options

I have NEVER voted Tory

Forgive me but you did spend many months ramping him on here as others can confirm, you said how good Johnson was and how poor Starmer is/was. I will withdraw my accusation re voting for them with an apology but I will not apologise for you supporting the Tories.
    As I say in the one area and by comparison with previous Governments of all colours
  • Options

This thread has seen a sharp decline in its ratings in the latest Ipsos poll

• Options

Doing better thanks, glad you're back posting - you always keep me on my toes with good humour :)

Johnson was the worst PM in British history, poor form from you mate.
    In some areas he was the worst

He was probably the laziest and the most in it for himself

I can agree with you as far as that.

Anyway all the best hope you continue to improve
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Right now this is 1997

Events can change

I doubt the Tories will fall behind the LDs in council seats, they may even gain some LD seats in May given in May 2019 the LDs won 19% which is much higher than they are polling now and May's Tories just 28%, little changed from now.

PR would see RefUK win seats
    Yes. PR would see a wider range of parties represented, and this would include parties on the right.

However, just as a healthy capitalist economy can only function optimally when inefficient and badly-run businesses are allowed to fail and go bust, to be replaced by new businesses, perhaps it is also the case that a healthy and mature democracy can only flourish if it is possible for discredited and clueless political parties to fail and be replaced. We might consider whether FPTP makes that process excessively difficult, and if it might help to make it a bit easier for failing political parties to be replaced.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,018

It's notable how both sides deploy exactly the same propaganda against each other.

1. The other side are subhuman war criminals, fascists and terrorists. (Orcs/X****s)
    2. They are ill equipped, completely incompetent and on the verge of military collapse.
    3. Imminent wonder weapons are about to turn the tide. (Zircon/Leoparden)
    4. Victory is inevitable.

The only difference is the audience. Ukraine is targeting the west while the Russian stuff is for internal consumption and ME/Africa/Asia.
  • Options
    eek said:

Well I’m never drinking Irn-Bru.

You're missing out. It is the very nectar of the gods. Also great for hangovers and for staying awake on a long drive to or from Scotland.
    also worth pointing out the only country in the world (heck region in the world) where a carbonated soft drink outsells Coca-cola is Irn-bru in Scotland.
    It’s the only ‘country’ where neither Coke nor Pepsi is the best-selling carbonated soft drink.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:
    Hey Dura, I asked you a few months ago about whether I’m mad or not to be considering an L322 as a glorified dog car.

Haven’t bought anything yet - still got a few months left on my current lease car - but the more YouTube I watch of L322 owners doing 12 month running and maintenance costs the colder my feet get.

What’s your view on a 10ish year old XC90? More reliable?
    An old Range Rover, is about the most unreliable car it’s possible to own. Pretty much anything is better. Of 10-year-old cars, Mercedes seem to be the most reliable of the premium marques.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,482

Is there any reason why the obvious solution to this problem can't be used?

The number of pigs being abandoned is on the rise, according to Ireland's only pig shelter 'My Lovely Pig Rescue'.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2023/0130/1352639-pig-rescue/

On no. The poor things will be attached to their owners like dogs will be.

Very upsetting to listen to 🥺
This discussion has been closed.