Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

If the polls continue like this can Sunak survive? – politicalbetting.com

1234568»

Comments

• Options

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

glw said:

Nigelb said:

REPORT: DONALD TRUMP WANTED TO NUKE NORTH KOREA AND THEN BLAME IT ON ANOTHER COUNTRY
    Incredibly (seems perfectly credible to me), this wasn’t the only time he reportedly proposed attacking a foreign nation and then pretending the US didn’t do it.
    https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2023/01/donald-trump-wanted-to-nuke-north-korea-and-blame-someone-else

Ok, own up.

Who sent him a copy of Team America on DVD for Christmas?
    I recall that Trump previously suggested another attack by US aircraft in Chinese colours. I makes me think that Trump believes that a literal "false flag" would be all it takes to fool adversary nations, and he's certainly stupid enough for that to be plausible.
    Trump is absolutely not stupid

He often appears vague and he is deeply eccentric, and riven with narcissistic personality disorders, but actually stupid? No

Because he thinks outside the box he is often way ahead of his rivals. Cf lab leak

Even here it’s not clear he’s dumb. Taking out the serious military/nuke threat of North Korea with a first strike is a pretty good idea - if it can be done without provoking world war 3 or killing 20 million Koreans
    I'm sorry but he is absolutely dumb. Just think of the number of things he has said that is off the wall dumb. My personal favourite was the fact that he thought F35's were actually invisible. I mean it is there to be seen and he said it several times. Let's also not forget the drinking bleach and blowing up hurricanes with atom bombs.

Whether there was a lab leak or not he wasn't saying it because he was inspired. He was saying it because it fitted his agenda.

The only box he is thinking out of is a box of frogs.
    Well, I have never seen an F35, which seems pretty conclusive to me. And if they aren't now they will be very shortly, you just make them into giant amoled screens and pipe the view from the other side across.

here's a thing I can very specifically date: April 1 2004, MacUser magazine spoof review of a 3D printer. How we all laughed.

Nuking hurricanes wasn't his invention either.
    That first sentence made me laugh, however you do realise that it has just made me believe in god, fairies, unicorns, and goodness knows what else.

Regarding it may be possible some time in the future to do this stuff, well yes, but he was talking about now. That is like me believing I can use a transporter to get to Australia instantly. We may do it some time in the future, but you would think me extremely stupid if I said we could do it now. StarTrek the documentary.

Yep he wasn't the first to suggest nuking hurricanes. All that means is he also wasn't as imaginative in his utter stupidity. I note one of the other suggestions for getting rid of hurricanes is to fly a plane in the opposite direction to unwind it. I'm no expert but my gut feeling is that won't work either.

PS I'm not saying nuking a hurricane won't work. I have no idea, but I'm guessing there might be some other undesirable side effects. Just saying.
    The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration has said that nuking a hurricane is 'not a good idea' because it may not change the hurricane's path and the radioactive fallout would hit American shores causing 'devastating environmental problems'

'But an article by hurricane researchers at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) debunks that idea. They wrote that it's impossible to disrupt a hurricane with a nuclear bomb, since we don't have powerful enough bombs and because the explosives wouldn't shift the surrounding air pressure for more than a split second.'
    A butterfly and a time machine should do the job though.
  • Options
    Chris said:

What does it mean that the word "squaw", which according to Wiktionary derives from a Proto-Algonquian word meaning "(young) woman" is now "offensive", to the extent that the BBC - in reporting the renaming of some places in the USA - is not able to say what those places were previously called?

Don’t do it much any more but on Words With Friends squaw was definitely on their verboten list, also abe & fag among others. Very American outlook of course.
  • Options
    Chris said:

What does it mean that the word "squaw", which according to Wiktionary derives from a Proto-Algonquian word meaning "(young) woman" is now "offensive", to the extent that the BBC - in reporting the renaming of some places in the USA - is not able to say what those places were previously called?

"Squaw" is in same category as "picaninny" and "oriental" = highly offensive to Native, Black and Asian Americans.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,398
    kjh said:

Selebian said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

glw said:

Nigelb said:

REPORT: DONALD TRUMP WANTED TO NUKE NORTH KOREA AND THEN BLAME IT ON ANOTHER COUNTRY
    Incredibly (seems perfectly credible to me), this wasn’t the only time he reportedly proposed attacking a foreign nation and then pretending the US didn’t do it.
    https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2023/01/donald-trump-wanted-to-nuke-north-korea-and-blame-someone-else

Ok, own up.

I recall that Trump previously suggested another attack by US aircraft in Chinese colours. I makes me think that Trump believes that a literal "false flag" would be all it takes to fool adversary nations, and he's certainly stupid enough for that to be plausible.

He often appears vague and he is deeply eccentric, and riven with narcissistic personality disorders, but actually stupid? No

Because he thinks outside the box he is often way ahead of his rivals. Cf lab leak

Even here it’s not clear he’s dumb. Taking out the serious military/nuke threat of North Korea with a first strike is a pretty good idea - if it can be done without provoking world war 3 or killing 20 million Koreans
    I'm sorry but he is absolutely dumb. Just think of the number of things he has said that is off the wall dumb. My personal favourite was the fact that he thought F35's were actually invisible. I mean it is there to be seen and he said it several times. Let's also not forget the drinking bleach and blowing up hurricanes with atom bombs.

Whether there was a lab leak or not he wasn't saying it because he was inspired. He was saying it because it fitted his agenda.

Well, I have never seen an F35, which seems pretty conclusive to me. And if they aren't now they will be very shortly, you just make them into giant amoled screens and pipe the view from the other side across.

here's a thing I can very specifically date: April 1 2004, MacUser magazine spoof review of a 3D printer. How we all laughed.

That first sentence made me laugh, however you do realise that it has just made me believe in god, fairies, unicorns, and goodness knows what else.

Regarding it may be possible some time in the future to do this stuff, well yes, but he was talking about now. That is like me believing I can use a transporter to get to Australia instantly. We may do it some time in the future, but you would think me extremely stupid if I said we could do it now. StarTrek the documentary.

Yep he wasn't the first to suggest nuking hurricanes. All that means is he also wasn't as imaginative in his utter stupidity. I note one of the other suggestions for getting rid of hurricanes is to fly a plane in the opposite direction to unwind it. I'm no expert but my gut feeling is that won't work either.

PS I'm not saying nuking a hurricane won't work. I have no idea, but I'm guessing there might be some other undesirable side effects. Just saying.
    Surely the solution to hurricanes is to find a hurricane (or local lingo equivalent) that spins in the opposite direction (just get one from the other side of the equator, easy) and then nudge the two together? :innocent:
    It makes you wonder why Trump didn't think of that.
    Further proof that he's a dumbass, I guess.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

glw said:

Nigelb said:

Ok, own up.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration has said that nuking a hurricane is 'not a good idea' because it may not change the hurricane's path and the radioactive fallout would hit American shores causing 'devastating environmental problems'

'But an article by hurricane researchers at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) debunks that idea. They wrote that it's impossible to disrupt a hurricane with a nuclear bomb, since we don't have powerful enough bombs and because the explosives wouldn't shift the surrounding air pressure for more than a split second.'
    They caused a flap.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

That poll is also much better in terms of seats for the Tories. Baxtered:

Labour: 519
    Tories: 33
    Libs: 20
    SNP: 54
    Plaid: 4

So the Tories easily hold on to 3rd place, fighting off Plaid Cymru, and set themselves up to maybe challenge the SNP as Official Opposition in the 2030s-40s

The constituency we have recently moved to, Brentwood and Ongar, is fortunately one of the 33
    Your extra 2 votes (I assume your wife is a Tory as otherwise your love life must be torrid) might make all the difference.
    My wife is a swing voter, voted Labour in 2001 and has voted LD when she lived in Oxford.

However she voted Tory in 2019 and will vote Tory next time as she likes Rishi. She probably wouldn't have voted for Truss however
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,573
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

So the Tories easily hold on to 3rd place, fighting off Plaid Cymru, and set themselves up to maybe challenge the SNP as Official Opposition in the 2030s-40s

The constituency we have recently moved to, Brentwood and Ongar, is fortunately one of the 33
    You've fled the hotbed of Trotskyism Epping?
    Indeed, sadly Dame Eleanor would lose Epping Forest to Labour on the PP poll.

On most other polls Dame Eleanor should hold it though, Harlow, Thurrock, Southend and Colchester and maybe even Chelmsford at risk still.

We now live in rural Ongar, Brentwood and Ongar constituency but still Epping Forest District
    I just looked it up. It really isn't close is it?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    BREAKING: ‘Unimaginable debauchery at No 10 bash' night before Prince Philip's funeral'

The story broken by my old friend Dominic formerly of the Ilford Recorder
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

Chris said:

"Squaw" is in same category as "picaninny" and "oriental" = highly offensive to Native, Black and Asian Americans.
    From this side of the ocean, one of these looks very much not like the others.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

BREAKING: ‘Unimaginable debauchery at No 10 bash' night before Prince Philip's funeral'

It should be shocking.

It's even more shocking in its own way that it isn't.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Your extra 2 votes (I assume your wife is a Tory as otherwise your love life must be torrid) might make all the difference.
    Idle curiosity for a Friday afternoon - how much do PBers care if their partners have similar views? Where do they draw the line, if anywhere? Who would they never kiss?

Personally I'd be comfortable with anyone who is (a) on the democratic spectrum (rules out people who want military coups or workers' dictatorships) and (b) isn't constantly insistent that they're right *even if I agree with them*. Anyone reasonably open-minded, from Brexiteer to eurocommunist, no problem. Zealots? No thanks - just too tedious to have a daily rant over breakfast.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,242
    edited January 2023
    ydoethur said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

glw said:

Nigelb said:

Ok, own up.

They caused a flap.
    https://wiki.lspace.org/Quantum_weather_butterflies
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

It should be shocking.

It's even more shocking in its own way that it isn't.
    Please tell me Boris was not involved. The image in my mind would be indelible. :(
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,853
    I’m going to defend Trump’s intellect. Again

Here is a list of all the “stupidest” things he has said. At least half of them are simply uncomfortable truths that the Left does not like and would prefer not to hear

Some of the rest are just him being the bragging egotist that he is - with weird diction

https://www.shortlist.com/news/most-ridiculous-trump-quotes-ever

I am pretty sure you could compile a much more persuasive list of the doddery idiocies expressed by Biden

Trump is not dumb as I understand it. He is sly, strategic and amoral. He knew how to beat Hillary because he knew how to find those Republican voters who wanted to hear the uncomfortable truths.. He won because he is a cunning bastard. He is also dangerously unstable, deeply vulgar, palpably nasty, and unfit to be president
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Call me Derek McDecadent from Decadentshire, but debauchery would have to be pretty bloody insane for me to find it “unimaginable” What were they doing? Fucking ants? Having group sex with wasps in wheelchairs? What?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Having been to a few of the old style booze-in-the-office parties, the idea that several members of staff heading for the darker corners of the office is 'Unimaginable debauchery' just shows a lack of imagination.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Having been to a few of the old style booze-in-the-office parties, the idea that several members of staff heading for the darker corners of the office is 'Unimaginable debauchery' just shows a lack of imagination.
    They've screwed the country, why is it unimaginable they were screwing each other?
  • Options
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Call me Derek McDecadent from Decadentshire, but debauchery would have to be pretty bloody insane for me to find it “unimaginable” What were they doing? Fucking ants? Having group sex with wasps in wheelchairs? What?
    What would shock Leon, would turn most folk not just gray, but into residents of a psycho ward.
    Driver said:

Chris said:

Wasn't talking about your side of the Atlantic. OR the Pacific.

And which it the exception? BJ's bon mot?
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Selebian said:

kjh said:

Selebian said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

glw said:

Nigelb said:

Ok, own up.

Surely the solution to hurricanes is to find a hurricane (or local lingo equivalent) that spins in the opposite direction (just get one from the other side of the equator, easy) and then nudge the two together? :innocent:
    Having commented recently about people just accepting science stuff without challenging it I realise I have never thought about a hurricane approaching the equator (or as you put it, whatever it is called in the local lingo when on the other side of the equator, I assume cyclone). I assume it just dies. So an even simpler solution. Just shove it towards the equator, maybe with an atom bomb.

PS. Just to make clear I am not serious.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,104
    edited January 2023

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

glw said:

Nigelb said:

Ok, own up.

If you were wanting to interfere with hurricanes the weak point I would look into would be surface ocean cooling. The two most obvious approaches would be a space-based parasol, or a huge swarm of solar-powered water-churning drones.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,066
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Perhaps one of them paused midway through some unspeakable sex act in order to come up with a sensible policy designed to improve the life of the average citizen. That really would be unimaginable.
  • Options

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

glw said:

Nigelb said:

Ok, own up.

If you were wanting to interfere with hurricanes the weak point I would look into would be surface ocean cooling. The two most obvious approaches would be a space-based parasol, or a huge swarm of solar-powered water churning drones.
    It's genuinely slightly disturbing anyone could consider those approaches 'obvious.'
  • Options

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Idle curiosity for a Friday afternoon - how much do PBers care if their partners have similar views? Where do they draw the line, if anywhere? Who would they never kiss?

Personally I'd be comfortable with anyone who is (a) on the democratic spectrum (rules out people who want military coups or workers' dictatorships) and (b) isn't constantly insistent that they're right *even if I agree with them*. Anyone reasonably open-minded, from Brexiteer to eurocommunist, no problem. Zealots? No thanks - just too tedious to have a daily rant over breakfast.
    Not a lot. I don't think I discussed politics with my (then future) wife until the 2015 GE and she asked me how I was going to vote. I said (and voted) Labour. I suspect she may have voted Conservative (we had watched one of the 'debates' together and she was more taken with Cameron), but I don't think I ever asked - we got married just over a month later so had other concerns. We got together a few months after the 2010 GE, which I don't think we ever discussed.

Otherwise, similar views to you, unless they're raving committed one way or the other - and expect that in a partner - it's not really an issue. I did date someone on the SWP end of Labour (would have been a big Corbyn supporter) and she was a bit offputting in demanding my ideological purity and wanting me to denounce Blair and Brown. Oh and another who thought the LDs were the Tories little helpers in splitting the anti-Con vote (this was pre-coalition). I never told her I was a habitual LD voter!

The one interesting question would be a hardcore Brexiteer. I could stomach the likes of our own Mr Roberts or Richard Tyndall on that (I disagree, but their motivations for Brexit don't make me think they are bad people) but probably not someone who voted that way to get rid of the foreigners.
  • Options

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Perhaps one of them paused midway through some unspeakable sex act in order to come up with a sensible policy designed to improve the life of the average citizen. That really would be unimaginable.
    Lol, yes, VG

“Look, stop frotting me, I’ve actually got a way to fix National Health provision, and here it is”

WHAT?????
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378
    kjh said:

Selebian said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

glw said:

Nigelb said:

Ok, own up.

He did, but rejected it for associations with bipartisanship.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,104
    ydoethur said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

glw said:

Nigelb said:

Ok, own up.

If you were wanting to interfere with hurricanes the weak point I would look into would be surface ocean cooling. The two most obvious approaches would be a space-based parasol, or a huge swarm of solar-powered water churning drones.
    It's genuinely slightly disturbing anyone could consider those approaches 'obvious.'
    Well, you'd never have enough heavy lift capability to dump sufficient ice in the water instead.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Selebian said:

kjh said:

Selebian said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

glw said:

Nigelb said:

Ok, own up.

Having commented recently about people just accepting science stuff without challenging it I realise I have never thought about a hurricane approaching the equator (or as you put it, whatever it is called in the local lingo when on the other side of the equator, I assume cyclone). I assume it just dies. So an even simpler solution. Just shove it towards the equator, maybe with an atom bomb.

Hmm, interesting. They always track northwards (the N hemishpere ones) generally, with some wiggles, don't they? Presumably due to the same physics that makes them spin in a particular direction in the first place. I managed to pick maybe the only physics undergrad course with basically no weather/climate stuff in, so I'm pretty ignorant on this.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,918
    Apparently, the right to wild camp on Dartmoor - the only place it was allowed in England - has been rescinded by the High Court.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/jan/13/dartmoor-estate-landowner-alexander-darwall-court-case-right-to-camp
  • Options
    kjh said:

Selebian said:

kjh said:

Selebian said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

glw said:

Nigelb said:

Ok, own up.

For some reason that reminded me of Spike Milligan's suggestion for dealing with London fog - starch it and jack it up.

Please don't mention it to Trump.
  • Options

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Most sane folk would reject the idea of kissing Farage.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Selebian said:

kjh said:

Selebian said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

glw said:

Nigelb said:

Ok, own up.

Or, indeed, use a few carefully placed atom bombs to shift the earth's axis of rotation so that where the hurricane is located becomes the new equator?
  • Options
    Gotta love Amazon's package "tracking" as shown by this example; all below recorded same day, yesterday (read from bottom up):

9:42 PM Package left an Amazon facility.
    Crest Hill, ILLINOIS US

7:58 PM Package left the carrier facility.
    Lockport, IL US

12:48 PM Package arrived at an Amazon facility.
    Crest Hill, ILLINOIS US

Note that Crest Hill and Lockport are both suburbs (so to speak) of Joliet, Illinois, made famous by "The Blues Brothers".

Strongly suspect that all the above "time" stamps, were done at the same facility. With exact "time" largely or totally fictitious.

But as long as package arrives on time (more or less) and in one piece (ditto) then no problem, just comic relief.
  • Options

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

glw said:

Nigelb said:

Ok, own up.

If you were wanting to interfere with hurricanes the weak point I would look into would be surface ocean cooling. The two most obvious approaches would be a space-based parasol, or a huge swarm of solar-powered water-churning drones.
    The original, 1960s idea for nuking a hurricane was to detonate a really large thermonuclear bomb in the eye. This would suck all the warm air into the stratosphere, killing the hurricane.

When I say large, I mean Teller large. 100Mt+
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Is the Tory association still dominated by some sort of weird Jesus freaks?
  • Options
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Call me Derek McDecadent
    Decent choice for your next PB handle.

• Options
    edited January 2023

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

I think my requirements would be narrower. I think I would struggle with a committed Tory or Labour voter. My wife has voted for just about everyone and the Monster Raving Loony party would have often been in with a good shout if they had stood because of her dissatisfaction with the rest sometimes.

Having a partner who is not particularly political with one that is, works I think.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    OK I’ve actually done the research

Here is Trump on the F35. His first remark? “It is almost like an invisible plane”

ALMOST

After that he shortens it to “you can’t see it”. He does not literally think it is invisible, only a dumb person would believe that of Trump, he is talking about advanced stealth characteristics, in his own flamboyant way

Come on, PB, get a grip. Trump is odious enough. We don’t have to make stuff up

https://youtu.be/_mrWUrMK5d4
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

My ex-partner and I made an early pact never to discuss Israel Palestine. We lasted 32 years together.
  • Options
    Metro.uk - https://metro.co.uk/2023/01/13/unimaginable-debauchery-on-display-at-downing-street-bash-18091429/

Two couples working for Boris Johnson had sex inside No.10 Downing Street during the lockdown-busting party the night before Prince Philip’s funeral, witnesses have now revealed.

One pair of aides started ‘feeling each other up’ in a kitchen then ducked into a dark room before emerging ‘flustered’ later. Another went into an office ‘with the lights off’.

SSI - Does sound like just another, (ab)normal day at the office for BJ & Co.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Call me Derek McDecadent
    Decent choice for your next PB handle.

Unless BigG snatches (!) it first?
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Leon said:

Here is Trump on the F35. His first remark? “It is almost like an invisible plane”

ALMOST

After that he shortens it to “you can’t see it”. He does not literally think it is invisible, only a dumb person would believe that of Trump, he is talking about advanced stealth characteristics, in his own flamboyant way

Bollocks:

'even if it is right next to it they can't see it'

'you literally can't see it'

How on earth did you misunderstand that @Leon. So much for your research it was in the clips you provided.
  • Options

Metro.uk - https://metro.co.uk/2023/01/13/unimaginable-debauchery-on-display-at-downing-street-bash-18091429/

Two couples working for Boris Johnson had sex inside No.10 Downing Street during the lockdown-busting party the night before Prince Philip’s funeral, witnesses have now revealed.

One pair of aides started ‘feeling each other up’ in a kitchen then ducked into a dark room before emerging ‘flustered’ later. Another went into an office ‘with the lights off’.

PEOPLE FEELING EACH OTHER UP??

INSIDE A BUILDING?

*faints clean away*
  • Options

ydoethur said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

glw said:

Nigelb said:

Ok, own up.

Well, you'd never have enough heavy lift capability to dump sufficient ice in the water instead.
    Believe you may well have stumbled onto the REAL rationale (if that's the word) for Trump's proposal to buy Greenland?
  • Options
    edited January 2023

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Not this bit, all traditional Church of England here. The Pentecostal evangelicals were in Brentwood in Eric Pickles' time as MP, hence Martin Bell stood here in 2001 after standing down in Tatton.

The MP since 2017, Alex Burghart is traditional Tory in background, Millfield and Christ Church, Oxford and the evangelical links seem to have faded
  • Options
    kjh said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

I think my requirements would be narrower. I think I would struggle with a committed Tory or Labour voter. My wife has voted for just about everyone and the Monster Raving Loony party would have often been in with a good shout if they had stood because of her dissatisfaction with the rest sometimes.

Having a partner who is not particularly political with one that is, works I think.
    It certainly works for me and "Minnie" - she is almost anti political; just about as cynical as me but turned in a different direction.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Leon said:

ALMOST

Bollocks:

How on earth did you misunderstand that @Leon. So much for your research it was in the clips you provided.
    I understand it. You are a moron

He does not literally believe it is invisible like something out of Harry Potter. He believes it has incredible stealth/masking qualities and as a born salesman, he pitches it in the most colourful way. Go and have a lie down.
  • Options

Apparently, the right to wild camp on Dartmoor - the only place it was allowed in England - has been rescinded by the High Court.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/jan/13/dartmoor-estate-landowner-alexander-darwall-court-case-right-to-camp

If this is not overturned on appeal then I hope that Labour stick to their guns and introduce legislation on it after the election.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,098

Chris said:

Do you mean the first is offensive to Native Americans, the second to Black Americans and the third to Asian Americans?

I think the idea that the word "oriental" is offensive must surely be an American thing. Frankly it baffles me that a word with a purely geographical meaning can be deemed "offensive". Can one really not talk about "Oriental cuisine" in the USA, for example, without giving offence?

• Options
    Driver said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

It certainly works for me and "Minnie" - she is almost anti political; just about as cynical as me but turned in a different direction.
    I once had a liaison with a girl named “Minnie Dipple”

To this day she has the sexiest name of any girl I’ve ever kissed. She was also dashed pretty. If you married her, chapeau
  • Options

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

I don't think I've ever considered the issue really. My wife and I have reasonably similar political views - I'm probably more of a Labour partisan than she is, although I would say she is more left wing than I am. I think if you have children together then it probably helps to have similar views, so you're not arguing about things like money or schools. I've never had any kind of "won't kiss a Tory" kind of philosophy, I think that sort of thing is stupid. But since I've been with my wife for almost 30 years it's hard to say what my dating rules are. Looks are probably more important to me than they should be!
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

ALMOST

Bollocks:

He does not literally believe it is invisible like something out of Harry Potter. He believes it has incredible stealth/masking qualities and as a born salesman, he pitches it in the most colourful way. Go and have a lie down.
    I think there is only one moron here. He specifically says you can't see it if you are right next to it and that you literally can't see it.

I mean right next to and literally. That isn't colourful that is very clear to anyone. It can't be interpreted in any other way. Using your words only a moron could interpret it differently.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

ALMOST

Bollocks:

Alternatively, he's more rambly than Biden.

And I think you mean born bullshitter.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Not this bit, all traditional Church of England here. The Pentecostal evangelicals were in Brentwood in Eric Pickles' time as MP, hence Martin Bell stood here in 2001 after standing down in Tatton.

The MP since 2017, Alex Burghart is traditional Tory in background, Millfield and Christ Church, Oxford and the evangelical links seem to have faded
    Thought their base was in Ongar
  • Options
    It's not quite the US Taliban.

Missouri Republicans Have Found Their Post-Roe Enemy: Cardigans
    https://www.riverfronttimes.com/news/missouri-republicans-have-found-their-post-roe-enemy-cardigans-39259210
    "Yep, the caucus that lost their minds over the suggestion that they should wear masks during a pandemic to respect the safety of other is now spending its time focusing on the fine details of what women have to wear (and specifically how many layers must cover their arms) to show respect in this chamber," Merideth added. He also clarified that lawmakers "thought a couple women last year didn't dress nicely enough for their standards."
  • Options
    kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

ALMOST

Bollocks:

I think there is only one moron here. He specifically says you can't see it if you are right next to it and that you literally can't see it.

I mean right next to and literally. That isn't colourful that is very clear to anyone. It can't be interpreted in any other way. Using your words only a moron could interpret it differently.
    Whatever. Enough. Why should I waste any more time schooling you?

If you want to waste your life believing crap like this, go ahead. Knock yerself out

• Options
    edited January 2023
    kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

ALMOST

Bollocks:

TBF, "literally" literally doesn't mean literal these days.

Bu there again, 'moron' is a term of fairly wide application, too, so I wouldn't strongly object to the epithet alongside Trump's name.
  • Options
    Driver said:

Chris said:

"Americans will not feel quite the same about the Orient, which
    for them is much more likely to be associated very differently with
    the Far East (China and Japan. mainly). Unlike the Americans,
    the French and the British - less so the Germans. Russians, Spanish,
    Portuguese, Italians, and Swiss - have had a long tradition of what
    I shall be calling Orientalism, a way of coming to terms with the
    Orient that is based on the Orient's special place in European
    Western experience. The Orient is not only adjacent to Europe; it
    is also the place of Europe's greatest and richest and oldest colonies,
    the source of its civilizations and languages, its cultural contestant,
    and one of its deepest and most recurring images of the Other.

https://monoskop.org/images/4/4e/Said_Edward_Orientalism_1979.pdf
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Ridiculous post, Nick.

"Whom would they never kiss?"
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Thought their base was in Ongar
    It was in Pilgrims Hatch which is a suburb of Brentwood

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity_Church_(Brentwood)
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

ALMOST

Bollocks:

TBF, "literally" literally doesn't mean literal these days.

Bu there again, 'moron' is a term of fairly wide application, too, so I wouldn't strongly object to the epithet alongside Trump's name.
    I don't think I could be in a relationship with someone who frequently used "literally" to mean the opposite of literally. It is one of the very worst things about 21st century Britain. Literally.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

ALMOST

Bollocks:

He certainly gives the impression that he believes the plane is actually difficult to see in a visual sense rather than being almost invisible to radar.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,113

“Unimaginable”? If someone can imagine a universe where reality is a construct created by machines to disguise the fact that they are using human race as a source of electricity, then I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t take Shakespeare to imagine two horny civil
    servants shagging in a small room during an office party.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

ALMOST

Bollocks:

Whatever. Enough. Why should I waste any more time schooling you?

If you want to waste your life believing crap like this, go ahead. Knock yerself out

So when he said it could not be seen when you were right next to it what were we supposed to interpret that as, because that is 100% not correct. It would be as clear to anyone that it was a bloody big plane.

It is what he said. There is no salesperson spin you can put on that. You are talking bollocks and one can only assume to defend the indefensible. You are starting to look like one of the mad trumpites.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,504
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Do you mean the first is offensive to Native Americans, the second to Black Americans and the third to Asian Americans?

I think the idea that the word "oriental" is offensive must surely be an American thing. Frankly it baffles me that a word with a purely geographical meaning can be deemed "offensive". Can one really not talk about "Oriental cuisine" in the USA, for example, without giving offence?

One reason American tourists avoid Roussillon on their French trips. Always head for the Cote D'Azur instead.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,478
    Since you folks have raised the issue, I'll just note that those two couples at the Boris Johnson party may have been working on the UK's demographic problem. (For those who believe "demography is destiny", this could be a "good thing", net, though the couples' timing might be criticized.)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    DougSeal said:

“Unimaginable”? If someone can imagine a universe where reality is a construct created by machines to disguise the fact that they are using human race as a source of electricity, then I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t take Shakespeare to imagine two horny civil
    It's just modern journalism, everything is sensationalised to the nth degree.
  • Options

Since you folks have raised the issue, I'll just note that those two couples at the Boris Johnson party may have been working on the UK's demographic problem. (For those who believe "demography is destiny", this could be a "good thing", net, though the couples' timing might be criticized.)

Are we talking the clock or premature ejaculation?
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,504
    DougSeal said:

Although, and I take no great delight in saying this, increasingly unimaginable in large private sector businesses. Not only are the general rules around office liaisons increasingly strict but if there were so much as a smidgen of difference in seniority between the two participants (or even worse, some kind of reporting line) then HR would be in like a shot and the more senior of the two would be out for gross misconduct.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Probabliy not. I imagine it's because in the US, "Asian" when otherwise unqualified tends to mean East Asian (especially China, Japan and Korea) just as in the UK it tends to mean South Asian (especially India, Pakistan and Bangladesh).

Hypothesis without evidence: "oriental" is considered offensive in the US because to get there, "Asians" actually came from the west, and therefore the term is white euro-origin centric.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,313
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

That's what I thought too. :lol: Unimaginable? I can imagine a lot folks.
  • Options

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Pretty similar, also in the modern world avoiding conspiracy theorists (aside from moon landing or Elvis being alive where the conspiracists are clearly correct of course). Someone who constantly wants to discuss the injustice of the current world, even if you broadly agree with them, is actually very draining mentally, to me at least. It may even be worse if you agree with them as then end up being "forced" to play devils advocate to introduce some balance.
  • Options
    New Thread.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Moving on from the recent unpleasantness of @kjh proving himself an imbecile, there is actually a serious point here. It is not just a mistake to think Trump dumb, it is a dangerous mistake. Because it means his opponents underestimate him, and lose

When you read that list of Trump’s “stupidest” remarks you get a weird grasp of his shtick, and how it works. And why it is clever. Not dumb at all

He has worked out, firstly, that in America if you come right out and say something outrageously unWoke - and act like you don’t give a shit - half the country will love you right off the bat. He has also worked out that it doesn’t have to be unWoke, it can just be offensive. People will thrill to your daring. Sticking it to the man

A third tactic he has is to say something outrageously and personally offensive, to opponents, throwing them off guard in debates and in politics in general

Fourthly, he often gets away with this because he is funny. This is commonly overlooked, because he is an oaf, but he is genuinely funny. He is amusingly nasty with good timing

Eg

"While @BetteMidler is an extremely unattractive woman, I refuse to say that because I always insist on being politically correct."

Trump on Rand Paul
    "I never attacked him on his looks, and believe me, there's plenty of subject matter right there."

Trump on Hillary Clinton
    "If Hillary Clinton can't satisfy her husband what makes her think she can satisfy America?"
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

The idea that "oriental" is offensive IS an American thing. Most definitely.

And, no, you can NOT talk about "Oriental cuisine" in USA without a) giving serious offense to Asian people in your audience; and/or b) turning off most of the rest for being needlessly clueless (to US reality) and offensive (ditto).

Believe widespread antipathy to the O-word among Asian Americans, esp. those of Chinese and Japanese heritage, stems from US history of racial/ethnic discrimination, which in part featured heavy usage of "oriental" in US legal terminology.

As to discrimination, one of the most egregious I've ever heard of, was case of the veteran of the Union Army, a Chinese orphan rescued at sea and adopted by a New England ship, who'd fought at the Battle of Gettysburg among others.

After the war he went West, to Nebraska as a homesteader. He was a respected member of the community, honored for his service.

Until the day he went to vote (as he'd done in several previous elections) but was challenged - on the grounds that as a Chinese, he was ineligible to be a citizen under federal law, the Chinese Exclusion Act. He never voted again.

BTW (and FYI) the first Asian American governor of any US state outside Hawaii, Gary Locke of Washington, was the grandson of a Chinese "houseboy" at the Governor's mansion in Olympia. Who under the terms of the Exclusion Act could NOT bring his wife into the USA with him. So every few years he'd return to China to visit his family. Which is why Gary's dad was also born in China. During WW2 he served in US Army, and after the war that - plus changes in US law - finally enabled him to bring HIS family to Seattle.

Reckon that Asian American adverse reaction to "oriental" is NOT as illogical as it may appear from a continent away.
This discussion has been closed.