Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

BoJo’s resignation – “Right or Wrong”: GE2019 Tories think the latter – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,590

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

London School changes its name from Sir Francis Drake after BLM protests.

Now being attacked on twitter for this appalling disrespect for the Armada hero

https://twitter.com/BBCLondonNews/status/1612743990972907521?s=20&t=J437yjeKhI_uCsC1mTtlKg

Hmm, he was a slave trader and violent thief, you do know.

And of course he was too busy looting to be as much of an Armada hero as he should. He'd have made a good Tory MP today, enriching himself in his work time when taking a publicly funded salary.
    Did he have a publicly funded salary? Wow, no doubt he would have thought himself entitled to huge pay rises when those in the private sector were having pay cuts or freezes and perhaps he thought he also ought to have a huge index linked pension and a job where he was unsackable/unexecutable?

I think the clue was in the name privateer. No pension, no payrise entitlement and lots of risk.
    I'm talking about him disobeying Howard's orders to lead the pursuit of the Armada and sneaking off with his lantern dowsed to capture and ransack the Rosario.
  • Options
    edited January 2023

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

https://twitter.com/BBCLondonNews/status/1612743990972907521?s=20&t=J437yjeKhI_uCsC1mTtlKg

And of course he was too busy looting to be as much of an Armada hero as he should. He'd have made a good Tory MP today, enriching himself in his work time when taking a publicly funded salary.
    Did he have a publicly funded salary? Wow, no doubt he would have thought himself entitled to huge pay rises when those in the private sector were having pay cuts or freezes and perhaps he thought he also ought to have a huge index linked pension and a job where he was unsackable/unexecutable?

I think the clue was in the name privateer. No pension, no payrise entitlement and lots of risk.
    PS Now you mention it, the only people these days who adopt the privateer as a role model (with the no doubt deliberate ambiguity crossing over into piracy = doing in the foreigners) are the right wing Tory MPs.

Edit: they seem to use buccaneer almost synomymously.

Also - Drake was not a privateer. That came later, roughly 1690s or so - at least in the English context. Highly regulated legally.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

400k copies of Harry's book sold today.
    Second only to the other Harry. Potter that is.

Plan on getting my copy in say 3 months . . . for $1 from a bargain bin.
    Got mine free as a sign up to audible on amazon

It's only 4 months to Coronation. Market needed on Haz/Meg to attend yes/no. He has made it very difficult.
    I cannot figure out why he would want to go. If even half of what he says is true then if there is going to be some kind of reconciliation all all it certainly isn't going to happen around a major media/ceremonial event which the 'institution' gang of Charlie boy and Wills will be very on brand about, given Harry spends most of his limelight time bemoaning anything to do with the media and the family's focus on institutional things. Wouldn't he just spend the entire time moping?
    Reportedly he wants "accountability" before "reconciliation".
    Does that mean Charles need to abdicate ?
    Does that "accountability" extend to his own accountability for the various criminal offences he appears to have admitted to?
    I think it actually means, we can reconcile, but only on my terms.
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

It's only 4 months to Coronation. Market needed on Haz/Meg to attend yes/no. He has made it very difficult.
    I cannot figure out why he would want to go. If even half of what he says is true then if there is going to be some kind of reconciliation all all it certainly isn't going to happen around a major media/ceremonial event which the 'institution' gang of Charlie boy and Wills will be very on brand about, given Harry spends most of his limelight time bemoaning anything to do with the media and the family's focus on institutional things. Wouldn't he just spend the entire time moping?
    Does that "accountability" extend to his own
    accountability for the various criminal offences he appears to have admitted to?
    Trying to reconcile with Prince Harry would be like attempting a reconciliation with Joffrey.

A very palpable Clarksonism, I have him down as Jaime Lannister. Are you secretly in love with Horseface major or minor?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,125

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Does that "accountability" extend to his own accountability for the various criminal offences he appears to have admitted to?
    Losing your virginity to an older woman in a car park, you mean? Don't think that's illegal. Maybe ought to be. Not sure.

(sorry for spoiler to PBers who've bought the book)
    Quite a lot of drug use, apparently. At least according to the BBC reviewer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64223264
    Yes. Hardly a surprise that. It's well known he had a party boy phase.

More mature now, going by what I've seen of the interviews.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Navy always has worked like that. Edward Pellew/Lord Exmouth made 30 million equivalent as admiral in charge of the Indian Ocean
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,529

Apparently "Spare" is being likened to the Harry Potter books. I suspect it will be similarly believable, similarly poor from a literary sense, but very not similar in its entertainment.

More in sales terms than a comment on its literary status. It said on the BBC that it is the fastest selling non-fiction in history.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,905

Scott_xP said:

Cornwall WILL have its day in the stratosphere! Kernew ow mos dhe'n nev!!

Edit - To clarify, I'm sincere in saying this. Would appear to be a natural launch pad.
    Not sure what the Cornish phrase said, but Cornwall is an *awful* place for a traditional vertical rocket launch, as it is best for them to either launch eastwards or occasionally northwards (depending on required orbit) to take advantage of the Earth's spin. And that means the first stage from a Cornish launch will land in France, Belgium or London, causing millions of pounds worth of improvements.

Virgin Orbit get around this by launching out at sea and at altitude. But that can only cope with very small satellites.

The two UK vertical rocket launch centres being developed (Durness/Tongue on the mainland, and Unst on Shetland) will both launch only to sun-synchronous orbits, and will in at least one case have to use up some power doglegging to avoid some oil rigs (from memory...)
    It will be interesting when first stages get to the reliability level that they are allowed to fly over people. In countries that aren't China, of course.

I think we are only a few years from that.
    Many Russian rocket stages land on the Kazakhstan steppes. A few years back a man got killed when the debris started a wildfire.

Not as bad as the Chinese stages falling near villages, especially as they use some very nasty propellants. They also had one rocket (Intelsat?) that crashed on a village, killing a fair few inhabitants.
  • Options
    edited January 2023

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Navy always has worked like that. Edward Pellew/Lord Exmouth made 30 million equivalent as admiral in charge of the Indian Ocean
    The Royal Navy only stopped Prize money in 1948, and more than £5 million in 1945 pounds was paid out in WW2, though distributed fairly widely rather than specific crews.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    edited January 2023
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Pretty well every successful commander expected war to be profitable, until very recently. For example, in my area of study, Wellington, Mina, Soult all did very well for themselves.

There was rather more to his career than stealing a few hundred slaves.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,921
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

IIRC the coronation plan was partly released the other day - only William will be an active part of the service. The rest of Royal Family will simply be spectators. No swearing of oaths by all the Royal Dukes etc.

This also solves the Andrew problem, so I think it sounds quite probable.
    Most likely there won't be any Royal Dukes in future, certainly beyond the sons of the King and Heir to the throne. I suspect the King will also restrict the HRH title to working royals only
    The problem with that approach comes when Charlotte and Louis are cut off from being "proper Royals", but then George fails to procreate and they need to reactivate them later.
    No, they would all have titles as children of King William but only George's children would have titles after them
    There's plenty of precedent for people acquiring titles by inheriting when another branch of the family comes to an end.

Several of Kings of England have done this. Sometimes after a somewhat personal deletion of the other branch of the family.
    Royal titles only is the point here not just aristocratic titles.

HRH and Prince and Princess alone which will be in future for the children of the monarch and heir only
    OK.

So does that mean that Prince William's children only become Princes and Princesses when Charles dies and ascends to the Throne?

And, does one lose one's Prince-ness if (with the passing of the King/Queen) you become the sibling of the Monarch rather than their child?

• Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

PS Now you mention it, the only people these days who adopt the privateer as a role model (with the no doubt deliberate ambiguity crossing over into piracy = doing in the foreigners) are the right wing Tory MPs.

Also - Drake was not a privateer. That came later, roughly 1690s or so - at least in the English context. Highly regulated legally.
    Drake was pure pirate, in semi-service to the State = the Crown. Highly profitable, highly connected, though highly expendable. As he - or rather She - demonstrated in the end.

Warren Hastings of later vintage was a land pirate, in semi-service to a quasi-state which was sub-contractor for the Crown = the State. As opposed and exposed by Edmund Burke, oft regarded the Father of Modern Conservatism. Before Boris Johnson and Donald Trump anyway.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,483
    I rather fancy the Sir Francis Drake bowls club on Hilly Fields won’t be following its Lewisham neighbour on this just yet.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

The Royal Navy only stopped Prize money in 1948, and more than £5 million in 1945 pounds was paid out in WW2, though distributed fairly widely rather than specific crews.
    Golly did not know that

Pellew was not taking prizes in the Indian Ocean (though he was earlier on as a frigate captain) he was running a protection racket. Donations from grateful East India captains.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,224

Scott_xP said:

Cornwall WILL have its day in the stratosphere! Kernew ow mos dhe'n nev!!

Edit - To clarify, I'm sincere in saying this. Would appear to be a natural launch pad.
    Not sure what the Cornish phrase said, but Cornwall is an *awful* place for a traditional vertical rocket launch, as it is best for them to either launch eastwards or occasionally northwards (depending on required orbit) to take advantage of the Earth's spin. And that means the first stage from a Cornish launch will land in France, Belgium or London, causing millions of pounds worth of improvements.

Virgin Orbit get around this by launching out at sea and at altitude. But that can only cope with very small satellites.

The two UK vertical rocket launch centres being developed (Durness/Tongue on the mainland, and Unst on Shetland) will both launch only to sun-synchronous orbits, and will in at least one case have to use up some power doglegging to avoid some oil rigs (from memory...)
    It will be interesting when first stages get to the reliability level that they are allowed to fly over people. In countries that aren't China, of course.

I think we are only a few years from that.
    Many Russian rocket stages land on the Kazakhstan steppes. A few years back a man got killed when the debris started a wildfire.

Not as bad as the Chinese stages falling near villages, especially as they use some very nasty propellants. They also had one rocket (Intelsat?) that crashed on a village, killing a fair few inhabitants.
    Indeed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelsat_708
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,483

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Drake was pure pirate, in semi-service to the State = the Crown. Highly profitable, highly connected, though highly expendable. As he - or rather She - demonstrated in the end.

Warren Hastings of later vintage was a land pirate, in semi-service to a quasi-state which was sub-contractor for the Crown = the State. As opposed and exposed by Edmund Burke, oft regarded the Father of Modern Conservatism. Before Boris Johnson and Donald Trump anyway.
    All a bit Yevgeny Prighozin really.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Golly did not know that

Pellew was not taking prizes in the Indian Ocean (though he was earlier on as a frigate captain) he was running a protection racket. Donations from grateful East India captains.
    The aftermath of the Battle of Vitoria was a bacchanalia. The Anglo/Spanish/Portuguese captured tons of treasure and artworks looted by the French, vast stocks of alcohol, and a couple of hundred prostitutes.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

IIRC the coronation plan was partly released the other day - only William will be an active part of the service. The rest of Royal Family will simply be spectators. No swearing of oaths by all the Royal Dukes etc.

Most likely there won't be any Royal Dukes in future, certainly beyond the sons of the King and Heir to the throne. I suspect the King will also restrict the HRH title to working royals only
    The problem with that approach comes when Charlotte and Louis are cut off from being "proper Royals", but then George fails to procreate and they need to reactivate them later.
    No, they would all have titles as children of King William but only George's children would have titles after them
    There's plenty of precedent for people acquiring titles by inheriting when another branch of the family comes to an end.

Several of Kings of England have done this. Sometimes after a somewhat personal deletion of the other branch of the family.

HRH and Prince and Princess alone which will be in future for the children of the monarch and heir only
    OK.

So does that mean that Prince William's children only become Princes and Princesses when Charles dies and ascends to the Throne?

And, does one lose one's Prince-ness if (with the passing of the King/Queen) you become the sibling of the Monarch rather than their child?

Questions rightly settled or at least decided by Parliament?

Either by permanent statute or case-by-case legislation - or mix of both?

OR maybe have expert editors of "Majesty" be the arbiters? Daily Telegraph? The Sun?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,561
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

OK.

Tut-tut, you are making the age-old PB mistake of seeking logic from HYUFD.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,905
    In other space news, another new rocketry company, ABL Space, is looking to make their first launch attempt today from Alaska. It is a Kerolox rocket (kerosene and liquid oxygen), capable of launching a little over a tonne into orbit. They're heavily backed by Lockheed Martin, and have designed the rocket and support equipment so it can be put into standard ISO containers for transport.

It is very rare for a new company to get to orbit on their first launch. In fact, I don't think it's ever been done?

Why this relevant to us? This is the rocket that *may* make the first attempt at orbit from the UK (vertical rocket) from Shetland this year. Given Virgin Orbit's failure last night, it may be the first to orbit from the UK and (I think) Europe.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

All a bit Yevgeny Prighozin really.
    Like a perogie as much as the next guy, but that variety is new to me.

Drake & Hastings were similar in some ways to James Bond. With license to kill AND steal.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,098
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

How many good, famous people can you name from before 1700?

Fair to say most people these days are morally flawed, rather than unproblematic saints.

For the standards of his time I believe there were some actions by Drake that do him some credit. I don't think we can wash away this country's connection with slavery by simply blaming everyone who happened to be alive at the time.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Fair to say most people these days are morally flawed, rather than unproblematic saints.

For the standards of his time I believe there were some actions by Drake that do him some credit. I don't think we can wash away this country's connection with slavery by simply blaming
    everyone who happened to be alive at the time.
    Public sector salaries were basically a bit of pocket money, for most of history. You were *expected* to use your position to make money.

• Options
    Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Back in the days of Trafalgar (the Admiral not the "Pollster") the higher the rank, the bigger the share of the prize money. For example, admirals got a decent slice for every prize taken ship under their overall command.

Ordinary seamen less favored, naturally, but fair numbers still managed to amass tidy sums (esp. for lower classes) during Napoleonic Wars. PROVIDED they survived.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,056
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

dixiedean said:

I like the idea of it as a Talking Book narrated by Ray Winstone.
    Whereas I believe it's actually read by Hazza in person.
    Hey you're right, there is a talking version and it is the man himself. That's got to be worth whatever you paid for it.
    £0.00. First audiobook from amazon is on da house.
    Ah using it to increase customer base. Bezos not a squillionaire for nothing.
    Reminds me I need to join audible to get the latest Alan partridge offering.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

For the standards of his time I believe there were some actions by Drake that do him some credit. I don't think we can wash away this country's connection with slavery by simply blaming
    everyone who happened to be alive at the time.
    Public sector salaries were basically a bit of pocket money, for most of history. You were *expected* to use your position to make money.

1 Careful, you will give the government ideas.

2 Overall, paying salaries to public sector workers probably works out better for the public.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Drake he's in his hammock an' a thousand miles away,
    (Capten, art tha sleepin' there below?)
    Slung atween the round shot in Nombre Dios Bay,
    An' dreamin' arl the time O' Plymouth Hoe.

You confusing him with Raleigh?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

For the standards of his time I believe there were some actions by Drake that do him some credit. I don't think we can wash away this country's connection with slavery by simply blaming everyone who happened to be alive at the time.

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Golly did not know that

Quite. Though that was his job - to keep HEIC off HMG's backs, anyway.

Actually disobeying specific orders to engage in a spot of looting like Drake did, in the middle of an invasion of England, was not being a good naval model, or indeed a good model for anyone's hero today, except it iseems Conservatives.
  • Options

Legal News via

Courthouse News - No bail for former Girardi bookkeeper facing fraud charges
    The former Girardi CFO is accused of stealing millions of dollars from the firm, which prosecutors say he spent on multiple properties, travel around the world, and a $20,000-a-month escort.

The former chief financial officer of the defunct Girardi & Keese law firm lost his bid to be released from jail while fighting charges he stole $10 million from the firm in a "side fraud" scheme separate from the estimated $100 million disgraced attorney Thomas Girardi is accused to have siphoned off from his clients' trust funds.

U.S. District Judge Dale Fischer on Monday rejected the arguments by a lawyer for Christopher Kamon that his client wanted a "fresh start" and that there are perfectly innocent explanations why he liquidated his assets in the U.S., transferred millions of dollars to overseas bank accounts, and bought a $2.4 million home in the Bahamas.

"The government has proven that he's a flight risk," Fischer said at the hearing in LA federal court. "The transfer of funds is extremely suspicious in my view."

Kamon, 49, has been in jail since his arrest Nov. 5 at the airport in Baltimore when he returned for the Bahamas. Prosecutors with the U.S. Attorney's Office in LA say that Kamon planned to leave the county, change his name and hide, citing an unidentified witness who they say was an unwitting co-schemer who believed the accountant had authority to use the law firm's funds for his private pursuits.

Prosecutors say Kamon, who worked at the Girardi Keese accounting department for almost two decades, used falsified invoices, fraudulent transfers and cash kickbacks from the firm's accounts to steal millions of dollars. They also claim he improperly used the firm's funds for his personal expenses, including home renovations, travel around the world on private planes and and tens of thousands a month for "female companionship."

It was highly doubtful that he was authorized to provide a $20,000 monthly allowance to an escort, Assistant U.S. Attorney Ali Moghaddas said at the hearing.

If convicted, the accountant could face 11 to 14 years in prison just for his "side fraud," according to the government. That doesn't take into account Kamon possible culpability in the broader fraud scheme perpetrated by Girardi and others, which involved an estimated $100 million stolen from client settlement funds, the government said.

https://www.courthousenews.com/no-bail-for-former-girardi-bookkeeper-facing-fraud-charges/

SSI - Yet they've let Bankman-Fraud (sp?) the Crypto King out on bail . . . for time being, anyway . . .

“$20,000-a-month escort” ?

Are we in the wrong job?
    Great minds think alike!
    It didn’t say which sex the escort was?
    I think the sex was expensive.
  • Options
    edited January 2023

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Back in the days of Trafalgar (the Admiral not the "Pollster") the higher the rank, the bigger the share of the prize money. For example, admirals got a decent slice for every prize taken ship under their overall command.

Ordinary seamen less favored, naturally, but fair numbers still managed to amass tidy sums (esp. for lower classes) during Napoleonic Wars. PROVIDED they survived.
    The ones who made most money, proibably, and certainly made money most reliably, were the prize agents who administered the system, sold off the goods, and paid out the proceeds, minus of course their percentages. A moral for our time.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

OK.

Yes and then George's children only in turn.

No if you are a child of the Monarch you keep it for life but no royal titles fir cousins or grandchildren of monarchs who are not children of the heir
  • Options

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Ordinary seamen less favored, naturally, but fair numbers still managed to amass tidy sums (esp. for lower classes) during Napoleonic Wars.
    PROVIDED they survived.
    Admirals did okay, but the serious money was made if you were a captain or commander of a frigate or sloop. They were based inshore and took a steady stream of merchantmen and barges (you got a share of the cargo as well as the ship). You could also make a fortune if you were sole surviving lieutenant or Warrant Officer (you basically got everyone else’s’ share).

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Golly did not know that

The aftermath of the Battle of Vitoria was a bacchanalia. The Anglo/Spanish/Portuguese captured tons of treasure and artworks looted by the French, vast stocks of alcohol, and a couple of hundred prostitutes.

Twas a fun time and the source of some good, and more very bad, fiction. The Gun by CS Forester being one of the best.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Ordinary seamen less favored, naturally, but fair numbers still managed to amass tidy sums (esp. for lower classes) during Napoleonic Wars.
    PROVIDED they survived.
    Admirals did okay, but the serious money was made if you were a captain or commander of a frigate or sloop. They were based inshore and took a steady stream of merchantmen and barges (you got a share of the cargo as well as the ship). You could also make a fortune if you were sole surviving lieutenant or Warrant Officer (you basically got everyone else’s’ share).

Families got what was due if you got killed, didn't they? (in theory at least). I think you may be thinking of the numbers present *at the start of hte action* - if you were the only lieut etc you were jammy, that's for sure.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,056
    rcs1000 said:

Legal News via

The former Girardi CFO is accused of stealing millions of dollars from the firm, which prosecutors say he spent on multiple properties, travel around the world, and a $20,000-a-month escort.

The former chief financial officer of the defunct Girardi & Keese law firm lost his bid to be released from jail while fighting charges he stole $10 million from the firm in a "side fraud" scheme separate from the estimated $100 million disgraced attorney Thomas Girardi is accused to have siphoned off from his clients' trust funds.

U.S. District Judge Dale Fischer on Monday rejected the arguments by a lawyer for Christopher Kamon that his client wanted a "fresh start" and that there are perfectly innocent explanations why he liquidated his assets in the U.S., transferred millions of dollars to overseas bank accounts, and bought a $2.4 million home in the Bahamas.

"The government has proven that he's a flight risk," Fischer said at the hearing in LA federal court. "The transfer of funds is extremely suspicious in my view."

Kamon, 49, has been in jail since his arrest Nov. 5 at the airport in Baltimore when he returned for the Bahamas. Prosecutors with the U.S. Attorney's Office in LA say that Kamon planned to leave the county, change his name and hide, citing an unidentified witness who they say was an unwitting co-schemer who believed the accountant had authority to use the law firm's funds for his private pursuits.

Prosecutors say Kamon, who worked at the Girardi Keese accounting department for almost two decades, used falsified invoices, fraudulent transfers and cash kickbacks from the firm's accounts to steal millions of dollars. They also claim he improperly used the firm's funds for his personal expenses, including home renovations, travel around the world on private planes and and tens of thousands a month for "female companionship."

It was highly doubtful that he was authorized to provide a $20,000 monthly allowance to an escort, Assistant U.S. Attorney Ali Moghaddas said at the hearing.

If convicted, the accountant could face 11 to 14 years in prison just for his "side fraud," according to the government. That doesn't take into account Kamon possible culpability in the broader fraud scheme perpetrated by Girardi and others, which involved an estimated $100 million stolen from client settlement funds, the government said.

https://www.courthousenews.com/no-bail-for-former-girardi-bookkeeper-facing-fraud-charges/

SSI - Yet they've let Bankman-Fraud (sp?) the Crypto King out on bail . . . for time being, anyway . . .

Are we in the wrong job?
    Great minds think alike!
    I don't know? That reads cheaper than a wife.

• Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

I was simply pointing out that HYUFD was picking and choosing. The people at the school are picking and choosing as well, but somehow that's not permitted.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

PROVIDED they survived.

Families got what was due if you got killed, didn't they? (in theory at least). I think you may be thinking of the numbers present *at the start of
    hte action* - if you were the only lieut etc you were jammy, that's for sure.
    If you were killed in the fight, in principle, your heirs got nothing. If you survived, but died subsequently, they did.

But, that was subject to any agreement to the contrary. A lot of officers agreed to pool prize money, with shares going to the families of those who died.

• Options

Legal News via

Are we in the wrong job?
    Great minds think alike!
    I think it was a Ford Escort, pimped up obviously.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Legal News via

Are we in the wrong job?
    Great minds think alike!

You don’t pay the escorts for sex, you pay them to go away.

One of my mottos in life is

‘Chlamydia can be cured but there’s no medicine for regret.’
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Carnyx said:

Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

PROVIDED they survived.

Families got what was due if you got killed, didn't they? (in theory at least). I think you may be thinking of the numbers present *at the start of
    hte action* - if you were the only lieut etc you were jammy, that's for sure.
    If you were killed in the fight, in principle, your heirs got nothing. If you survived, but died subsequently, they did.

But, that was subject to any agreement to the contrary. A lot of officers agreed to pool prize
    money, with shares going to the families of those
    who died.
    Edit; heirs would of course, get paid the prize money that a person had accumulated prior to their dying in action.

• Options

rcs1000 said:

Legal News via

Are we in the wrong job?
    Great minds think alike!

I am off to Africa. My antimalarial of choice is oddly an antibiotic, Doxycycline, which is more often prescribed as a Chlamydia cure. As an antimalarial it costs, for Chlamydia it's a prescription for which I don't pay. So there's a whole self respect vs parsimony debate to be had, whether to go to a travel or STD clinic.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,863

rcs1000 said:

Legal News via

Are we in the wrong job?
    Great minds think alike!

Not as good as “A night with Venus, a lifetime with Mercury”.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,098
    edited January 2023
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

I was simply pointing out that HYUFD was picking and choosing. The people at the school are picking and choosing as well, but somehow that's not permitted.
    Fair do's. Drake certainly had a good publicist for his role defeating the Armada.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,222
    edited January 2023

rcs1000 said:

Legal News via

Are we in the wrong job?
    Great minds think alike!

I am off to Africa. My antimalarial of choice is oddly an antibiotic, Doxycycline, which is more often prescribed as a Chlamydia cure. As an antimalarial it costs, for Chlamydia it's a prescription for which I don't pay. So there's a whole self respect vs parsimony debate to be had, whether to go to a travel or STD clinic.
    Unless it’s a very short visit you’ll need more than a single course? Aside from the fact that the clinic will do tests and stuff.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Legal News via

Are we in the wrong job?
    Great minds think alike!

Unless it’s a very short visit you’ll need more than a single course? Aside from the fact that the clinic will do tests and stuff.
    Yes, probably coughing up £20 is the best plan.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,929
    As we seem to be on a naval theme tonight here is a question. The end of series1 of Marie Antoinette shows the court celebrating a French victory over the English fleet. Which battle?
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,680

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

What's 21st (or maybe 22nd) century equivalent, of inserting a semi-suitable heir into line of succession, via a convenient warming pan?
    Isn't that what Mrs Merkle is supposed to have done? Hence the questioning about the colour of the babies' skin in royal circles.....
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,863
    Elon has Trussked it again

I obtained surveillance footage of the self-driving Tesla that abruptly stopped on the Bay Bridge, resulting in an eight-vehicle crash that injured 9 people including a 2 yr old child just hours after Musk announced the self-driving feature.

Full story: https://theintercept.com/2023/01/10/tesla-crash-footage-autopilot/ https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1612848872061128704/video/1
  • Options
    slade said:

As we seem to be on a naval theme tonight here is a question. The end of series1 of Marie Antoinette shows the court celebrating a French victory over the English fleet. Which battle?

Chesapeake?
  • Options
    slade said:

Must be during the US War of Independence
  • Options
    Now a new Conservative organisation, headed by the Tory peer and donor Lord Cruddas, has been established which claims the Primrose League as its inspiration. Called the Conservative Democratic Organisation, it features the “historic, patriotic and democratic Primrose League” on its website, alongside a call for greater control of the parliamentary party by members who “feel ignored, steamrollered and held in utter contempt by party leaders”.

But the real inspiration of the Conservative Democratic Organisation isn’t Disraeli, or even Randolph Churchill (whom they also cite). It is Tony Benn.

For all its constitutional posturing and use of inapt historical analogies, the CDO leaders’ real agenda is nakedly political. They wish to replace Rishi Sunak, regarding his premiership as illegitimate. And in his place they desire the return of Boris Johnson. They openly argue that last October, in circumstances where the creation by Johnson of a broad ministry would have been impossible, the membership should nonetheless have been able to install again as leader someone the MPs removed.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tory-mps-risk-being-usurped-by-their-party-rxksb3xmc
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,372
    Scott_xP said:

Now a new Conservative organisation, headed by the Tory peer and donor Lord Cruddas, has been established which claims the Primrose League as its inspiration. Called the Conservative Democratic Organisation, it features the “historic, patriotic and democratic Primrose League” on its website, alongside a call for greater control of the parliamentary party by members who “feel ignored, steamrollered and held in utter contempt by party leaders”.

But the real inspiration of the Conservative Democratic Organisation isn’t Disraeli, or even Randolph Churchill (whom they also cite). It is Tony Benn.

For all its constitutional posturing and use of inapt historical analogies, the CDO leaders’ real agenda is nakedly political. They wish to replace Rishi Sunak, regarding his premiership as illegitimate. And in his place they desire the return of Boris Johnson. They openly argue that last October, in circumstances where the creation by Johnson of a broad ministry would have been impossible, the membership should nonetheless have been able to install again as leader someone the MPs removed.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tory-mps-risk-being-usurped-by-their-party-rxksb3xmc

Better titled the Parcel of Pillocks.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

Better titled the Parcel of Pillocks.
  • Options
    ClippP said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

What's 21st (or maybe 22nd) century equivalent, of inserting a semi-suitable heir into line of succession, via a convenient warming pan?
    Isn't that what Mrs Merkle is supposed to have done? Hence the questioning about the colour of the babies' skin in royal circles.....
    I know the shine has worn off the German ex-Chancellor's star of late, but I can't believe she's been fiddling with the royal succession.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,372
    France and Poland push Germany to send Leopard tanks to Ukraine
    If Germany relents and sends Leopard tanks, it is likely several other EU countries will too.
    https://www.politico.eu/article/france-and-poland-push-germany-to-send-leopard-tanks-to-ukraine/
    Less than a week after Germany finally agreed to supply Ukraine with Marder infantry fighting vehicles, pressure is building on Berlin to step it up and send modern battle tanks.

France and Poland are pushing the EU’s biggest economy to equip Kyiv with its powerful Leopard 2 tank, while Britain is reportedly considering sending about a dozen of its Challenger 2 main battle tanks to Ukraine. If Britain did so, this would make it significantly harder for Berlin to hide behind its current argument that it does not want to act alone in sending heavy weaponry.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,884
    edited January 2023
    Scott_xP said:

I obtained surveillance footage of the self-driving Tesla that abruptly stopped on the Bay Bridge, resulting in an eight-vehicle crash that injured 9 people including a 2 yr old child just hours after Musk announced the self-driving feature.

Full story: https://theintercept.com/2023/01/10/tesla-crash-footage-autopilot/ https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1612848872061128704/video/1

I'm no fan of Musk but there's very little evidence presented there of what actually happened.

Is there any evidence that it was in FSD? Does that even work in a tunnel with no GPS? It looks like an attempt to pull over for some reason. Perhaps the driver fell asleep and the car did its best to come to a halt?

The crash itself was caused by the cars following behind too close, as usual.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

I'm no fan of Musk but there's very little evidence presented there of what actually happened.

Is there any evidence that it was in FSD? Does that even work in a tunnel with no GPS? It looks like an attempt to pull over for some reason. Perhaps the driver fell asleep and the car did its best to come to a halt?

The driver told police that he had been using Tesla’s new “Full Self-Driving” feature, the report notes, before the Tesla’s “left signal activated” and its “brakes activated,” and it moved into the left lane, “slowing to a stop directly in [the second vehicle’s] path of travel.”

https://theintercept.com/2023/01/10/tesla-crash-footage-autopilot/
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,267
    Sean_F said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Does that "accountability" extend to his own
    accountability for the various criminal offences he appears to have admitted to?
    Trying to reconcile with Prince Harry would be like attempting a reconciliation with Joffrey.

I would say that Harry has dug two graves, but I wonder if he's just dug one.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,813
    This commentary is all pointless. Writing is over. Dead. Finito. Human words are dross

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/ai-is-the-end-of-writing/
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
  • Options
    Leon said:

This commentary is all pointless. Writing is over. Dead. Finito. Human words are dross

That Sean Thomas is an absolute roaster, didn't he once win a bad sex writing 'award'?

No wonder he's awed by AI.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,822
    Evening all :)

To answer this morning's question, the May elections look the crunch point for Rishi Sunak. In 2019, these were a dreadful set of elections for the Conservatives and they lost 1,300 seats. That was a factor in the moves against Theresa May which led to her resignation.

Way back in 1995 when John Major's Conservatives lost 2,000 seats in a night, the outcome was John Redwood's challenge which, as we now know, came much closer to toppling the Prime Minister than the bare numbers suggested.

Big losses will again suggest to backbench Conservative MPs they are in serious trouble - oddly enough, the elections are also a challenge for Labour who also made small net losses last time. Starmer and his party should be making big gains and especially in local contests across England if their poll ratings are to be believed.

It's also, by the way, a challenge for Ed Davey and the LDs as they seek to hold on to the gains from 2019 - ditto for the various Independents and Residents' Groups who benefited from the Conservative collapse especially in the Home Counties.

Elsewhere, tonight's Redfield & Wilton "Red Wall" polling suggests a swing of 15.5% in these Conservative-Labour seats which compares with the 24% swing in the South-East beyond London so some evidence it's not quite so bad in the Red Wall. With the Don't Knows, the swing is 14.5%

The 2019 Conservative vote breaks 55% Conservative, 18% Labour, 15% Don't Know and 10% Reform.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,884
    Scott_xP said:

Scott_xP said:

The driver told police that he had been using Tesla’s new “Full Self-Driving” feature, the report notes, before the Tesla’s “left signal activated” and its “brakes activated,” and it moved into the left lane, “slowing to a stop directly in [the second vehicle’s] path of travel.”

https://theintercept.com/2023/01/10/tesla-crash-footage-autopilot/
    "The driver told police". What did the car say?

I'm not daft enough to have a Tesla, but I thought you could press the accelerator to override any automated systems?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Isn't the expression "Conservative organisation" an oxymoron?
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,966

Leon said:

That Sean Thomas is an absolute roaster, didn't he once win a bad sex writing 'award'?

He’s buggered by AI. AI means automatic impregnation, I assume?
  • Options
    Leaked copy of Spare pdf doing the rounds.

I skimmed the first 3-4 pages. So badly written I gave up.

What a stream of shite.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,813

Leon said:

I believe he did. No wonder he wills the end of his own profession
  • Options

What a stream of shite.

It's curious - arguably one of the most vilified individuals for decades. "Everyone" apparently hates him and yet we can't enough of Harry.

All over the front pages - who cares about the NHS, rail strikes or the Ukraine when we've got the second son of the King holding forth?
  • Options
    edited January 2023

Scott_xP said:

FSD is supposed to work in tunnels with no GPS. Indeed, the vast majority of FSD is done from cameras.

In this case, the allegation is that the Tesla was in FSD mode and that the vehicle suddenly changed lanes to the left and then braked hard, resulting in a following vehicle going into it.

Now, all we know right now is that the driver claims it was in FSD mode. That may (or may not) be true.

However, this is the kind of situation where FSD/Autopilot has struggled in the past. In particular, the reliance on cameras over technologies like LIDAR means that there is less certainty about distance, and it is more possible for shadows to confuse the sensors and systems.

My guess, for what it's worth, is that the driver probably accidentally hit the turn signal, and that the car did what it was supposed to in that circumstance, and changed lanes. The issue is that changing lanes in the tunnel is prohibited, and it is likely that the following vehicle (that went into the Tesla) was probably not expecting it.

Edit to add: I've had one scary Tesla FSD experience. The car was traveling at 65 on a typically very bumpy California highway. As it crested a hill the wheels lost a little bit of traction, and the car veered to the edge of the lane. The car applied a very large left input, and it veered rapidly towards the other side of the lane. I yanked back control slowed it down, and all was well. But for a second, it looks like there would be one of those oscillating issues where each correction was bigger than the lasyt.
  • Options
    stodge said:

What a stream of shite.

It's curious - arguably one of the most vilified individuals for decades. "Everyone" apparently hates him and yet we can't enough of Harry.

All over the front pages - who cares about the NHS, rail strikes or the Ukraine when we've got the second son of the King holding forth?
    I certainly agree plenty will fulminate about him and say they "aren't interested" and "don't care" and will still secretly buy his book.

I got it forwarded on WhatsApp and opened the link.

I decided within 3 minutes I had better things to do with my life.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109

Leon said:

Millions of computers are waiting to replace you.
    Shall we compare them to a Sony Walkman?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,125
    Sone people who aren't in the Royal Family are taking "Spare" quite personally.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

I know, plus Harry is doing what King Charles III did in 1994.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Sorry! Try this instead. An uncharacteristically witty review on 'Spare' from the BBC

"What other royal recollection would cover losing his virginity behind a pub, or go into such prolonged detail about a frost-bitten penis? This royal appendage gets more lines than many of his relatives......"

• Options
    kinabalu said:

The academic studies of the reaction should be entitled 'Going Spare.'
  • Options
    Leon said:

ChatGPT is particularly good at poetry.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Really? Can't see Meghan being too happy about that.
  • Options

stodge said:

What a stream of shite.

I certainly agree plenty will fulminate about him and say they "aren't interested" and "don't care" and will still secretly buy his book.

I suppose pointing out that's 180 seconds of your life you won't be getting back is a tad superfluous?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Really? Can't see Meghan being too happy about that.
    Not the adultery, the doing book and publicising his betrayal of his family.

It is very clear the Duke of Sussex loves his wife.
  • Options

What a stream of shite.

H8az gonna h8

This is the problem with hereditary primogeniture monarchy. On the one hand, a film star looking prince with a wife of extraordinary beauty, on the other a balding pudding married to a Hyacinth Bucket character with a permanent smirk which suggests she has just dined on her husband's testicles.. and you are duty bound to go with option b.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Millions of computers are waiting to replace you.
    Shall we compare them to a Sony Walkman?
    Thou art more lovely and more navigable. Rough winds do shake the darling buds of the electronic skip protection.
  • Options

What a stream of shite.

H8az gonna h8

This is the problem with hereditary primogeniture monarchy. On the one hand, a film star looking prince with a wife of extraordinary beauty, on the other a balding pudding married to a Hyacinth Bucket character with a permanent smirk which suggests she has just dined on her husband's testicles.. and you are duty bound to go with option b.
    I wouldn't have described Andrew as looking like a film star.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Porking Mills?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,120
    stodge said:

What a stream of shite.

There’s a lot of people out there. I have no interest in all the royal crap. I think the protesters who called out ‘not in my name’ at Charles’s proclamation had a point. Love it hate the PM, at lest you get some say, at some point. Who elected the King?
    But there are more than enough who love all this bollocks and the media knows it. Fine. I wouldn’t waste time finding a pdf - just wait a couple of weeks and the charity shops will be giving the book away, just as they did with The Da Vinci Code, and probably The Ice Twins.

Each to their own. I can’t stand Strictly but it gives pleasure to millions.
  • Options

What a stream of shite.

Aiui from the last thread, Spare was actually written by Harry's expensive and acclaimed ghost writer, so if what you read was badly written, your pirated text might not have been genuine.
  • Options
    DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792
    I've started reading Spare. The boy seems to have done good, even if there's far too much waffle in it. Most of the reviewers probably haven't even read it, or somebody directed to them to a bit about his c*ck and that's all. He has obviously changed from when he wore a Nazi uniform and boasted about murdering Afghans. People can change. Good on him. I'm hoping he's REALLY stuck the knife in to the royal family and the monarchy in a few places.

The codeword is "carboxyhaemoglobin".
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,120

What a stream of shite.

H8az gonna h8

Genuinely don’t know which is which…
  • Options
    stodge said:

stodge said:

What a stream of shite.

I suppose pointing out that's 180 seconds of your life you won't be getting back is a tad superfluous?
    Isn't it always? What 180 secondses does anyone get back?

Plus I absolutely bet he stands to attention for the national anthem every Xmas day after the monarchs speech. Can't he set it off against that?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

ChatGPT is particularly good at poetry.
    Did you not read the article? Claude is the poet.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Royal Naval Seamen actually had a good life expectancy in Georgian times, even allowing for the occasional battle and flogging. Food was plentiful if dull, and naval ships were cleaner and more disease free than town life, accidents less frequent than the Merchant Navy. It is why impressment was tolerated.
  • Options

stodge said:

What a stream of shite.

There’s a lot of people out there. I have no interest in all the royal crap. I think the protesters who called out ‘not in my name’ at Charles’s proclamation had a point. Love it hate the PM, at lest you get some say, at some point. Who elected the King?
    But there are more than enough who love all this bollocks and the media knows it. Fine. I wouldn’t waste time finding a pdf - just wait a couple of weeks and the charity shops will be giving the book away, just as they did with The Da Vinci Code, and probably The Ice Twins.

I've got my protests sorted for the coronation.

'Take back control from our unelected rulers' and 'Adulterers are twats'
  • Options
    Roger said:

Sorry! Try this instead. An uncharacteristically witty review on 'Spare' from the BBC

"What other royal recollection would cover losing his virginity behind a pub, or go into such prolonged detail about a frost-bitten penis? This royal appendage gets more lines than many of his relatives......"

That's rather a good review.
  • Options

What a stream of shite.

H8az gonna h8

I’ve no idea who the “film star looking prince” and “extraordinary beauty” are.

First with Andrew, then with Harry, we dodged a bullet with the spares. Each of them is a moron.

• Options

What a stream of shite.

Aiui from the last thread, Spare was actually written by Harry's expensive and acclaimed ghost writer, so if what you read was badly written, your pirated text might not have been genuine.
    It's the real book.
  • Options

stodge said:

What a stream of shite.

I've got my protests sorted for the coronation.

'Take back control from our unelected rulers' and
    'Adulterers are twats'
    Should people in glass houses throw stones?

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Roger said:

That's rather a good review.
    Yes, it made me laugh.
This discussion has been closed.