Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

BoJo’s resignation – “Right or Wrong”: GE2019 Tories think the latter – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,611
    Nigelb said:

It's not quite Arkell v Pressdram, but a good effort from Dr. Dre's lawyers.

Marjorie Taylor Greene has been locked out of her Twitter account and her new video has been removed after Dr. Dre took legal action against her for using his music without permission. ...
    https://twitter.com/NoLieWithBTC/status/1612564851049615371

“One might expect that, as a member of Congress, you might have a passing familiarity with the laws of out country. It’s possible, though, that the laws governing intellectual property are a little too arcane and insufficiently populist for you really to have spent too much time on…”

Leading to what's likely the only bit of genuine irony ever created by MTG.
    https://twitter.com/RepMTG/status/1612451685338603522
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067

dixiedean said:

400k copies of Harry's book sold today.
    Second only to the other Harry. Potter that is.

Plan on getting my copy in say 3 months . . . for $1 from a bargain bin.
    Got mine free as a sign up to audible on amazon

It's only 4 months to Coronation. Market needed on Haz/Meg to attend yes/no. He has made it very difficult.
    I see he did the narration himself, so we have proof he has actually read what the ghostwriter produced.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

It's not quite Arkell v Pressdram, but a good effort from Dr. Dre's lawyers.

Marjorie Taylor Greene has been locked out of her Twitter account and her new video has been removed after Dr. Dre took legal action against her for using his music without permission. ...
    https://twitter.com/NoLieWithBTC/status/1612564851049615371

“One might expect that, as a member of Congress, you might have a passing familiarity with the laws of out country. It’s possible, though, that the laws governing intellectual property are a little too arcane and insufficiently populist for you really to have spent too much time on…”

Trump has been blasting records by various bands & artists at his MAGA jamborees, very often against the wishes AND copyrights of the artists.

Law is for OTHER people NOT for them. Same as with Mad Vlad. Ditto Pfeffel the Great.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

It's only 4 months to Coronation. Market needed on Haz/Meg to attend yes/no. He has made it very difficult.
    I cannot figure out why he would want to go. If even half of what he says is true then if there is going to be some kind of reconciliation all all it certainly isn't going to happen around a major media/ceremonial event which the 'institution' gang of Charlie boy and Wills will be very on brand about, given Harry spends most of his limelight time bemoaning anything to do with the media and the family's focus on institutional things. Wouldn't he just spend the entire time moping?
    If it is any comfort to Prince Harry, I shan't be inside the Abbey either.
  • Options
    Starmer leads Sunak by 10% in the Red Wall.

At this moment, which of the following do Red Wall voters think would be the better PM for the UK? (8-9 January)

Keir Starmer 42% (+2)
    Rishi Sunak 32% (-4)
    Don't Know 26% (+2)

Changes +/- 21-22 November

Bye Red Wall
  • Options
    Labour leads by 22% in the Red Wall, a set of seats they lost by 9% in 2019.

Red Wall VI (8-9 Jan):

Labour 51% (-2)
    Conservative 29% (-1)
    Reform UK 9% (+4)
    Liberal Democrat 5% (-1)
    Green 3% (–)
    Plaid Cymru 1% (–)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 21-22 Nov
  • Options
    kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

I cannot figure out why he would want to go. If even half of what he says is true then if there is going to be some kind of reconciliation all all it certainly isn't going to happen around a major media/ceremonial event which the 'institution' gang of Charlie boy and Wills will be very on brand about, given Harry spends most of his limelight time bemoaning anything to do with the media and the family's focus on institutional things. Wouldn't he just spend the entire time moping?
    I'd have thought so. Tough one.

I think Charles might surprise us all by carking it sooner than we think, he is 78 and not looking great. More drama then no doubt.
  • Options
    Rishi Sunak's approval rating in the Red Wall is -19%.

Rishi Sunak Red Wall Net Approval Rating (8-9 January):

Disapprove: 45% (+8)
    Approve: 26% (-5)
    Net: -19% (-13)

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750

kle4 said:

TimS said:

On Topic - Clear & compelling evidence, that Putinism is alive and kicking in the Conservative Party, as recent events show Putinism remains a potent force within the Republican Party.

NOT as powerful and dominant as it was a few years ago. But still a power for ill.

You really think most of the GOP wants Putin to win? Sure, there's a few loud mouth nut jobs but the reason why support for Ukraine is continuing is because there is bipartisan support

Ps numerically; the nuts in the GOP are counterbalanced by the nuts in the Dems who also want funding to Ukraine to stop - think Ilhan Omar et al
    First, you mistake "Putinism" for "overt support for Valdimir Putin" when the reality is MUCH more nuanced. As exhibited by a Putinist (in his heart & mind) like Boris Johnson vociferously & publicly denouncing Putin & his works, for his own fun and profit.

And as for Democratic nuts counter-balancing Rep nuts, note that the former have been stifled by the weight of PROGRESSIVE opinion against Russia's invasion and war crimes. For example, the whole Pramila Jayapal letter fiasco.

Wheres it is still socially acceptable for the likes of Matt Gaetz to snub and outright oppose President Zelensky and whole of UKR's amazing defense of their homeland, and with it the world.
    One of the more clever aspects of Russia's insidious propaganda is that they pick off different political wings in different countries depending on where they see the most fertile ground. Certainly they seem to be much more influential among the US hard right, likewise in France, Hungary and a couple of other locations. Whereas in the UK, Germany and large tracts of the global South they've been courting the "anti-war" far left.
    While the Russians may be courting the "anti-war" far left in the UK and Germany, it's the far right in both of those countries - Farage in the UK and the AfD in Germany - that has been most prominent in its opposition to Western intervention in Ukraine.
    What has Farage opposed? Looking at his timeline I can see him making comments about "Germany and other EU states funding Putin's war machine" but there's nothing comparable to Putin's apologists in the AfD or GOP.
    Farage blamed the Russian invasion of Ukraine on the EU and NATO for provoking Russia. A Putin apologist if ever there was one.
    It is a pretty obvious tell, putting him with the likes of Corbyn and Galloway on the issue.
    Am I misremembering or was it not a popular trope on the right that the EU was provoking Putin by pressing for expansion up to the Russian border, at least before the invasion?
    I think you are remembering correctly. Horseshoe theory has its critics, but on some issues it is dead on.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,225

kinabalu said:

dixiedean said:

I like the idea of it as a Talking Book narrated by Ray Winstone.
    Whereas I believe it's actually read by Hazza in person.
    Hey you're right, there is a talking version and it is the man himself. That's got to be worth whatever you paid for it.
  • Options

kle4 said:

TimS said:

On Topic - Clear & compelling evidence, that Putinism is alive and kicking in the Conservative Party, as recent events show Putinism remains a potent force within the Republican Party.

NOT as powerful and dominant as it was a few years ago. But still a power for ill.

You really think most of the GOP wants Putin to win? Sure, there's a few loud mouth nut jobs but the reason why support for Ukraine is continuing is because there is bipartisan support

Ps numerically; the nuts in the GOP are counterbalanced by the nuts in the Dems who also want funding to Ukraine to stop - think Ilhan Omar et al
    First, you mistake "Putinism" for "overt support for Valdimir Putin" when the reality is MUCH more nuanced. As exhibited by a Putinist (in his heart & mind) like Boris Johnson vociferously & publicly denouncing Putin & his works, for his own fun and profit.

And as for Democratic nuts counter-balancing Rep nuts, note that the former have been stifled by the weight of PROGRESSIVE opinion against Russia's invasion and war crimes. For example, the whole Pramila Jayapal letter fiasco.

Wheres it is still socially acceptable for the likes of Matt Gaetz to snub and outright oppose President Zelensky and whole of UKR's amazing defense of their homeland, and with it the world.
    One of the more clever aspects of Russia's insidious propaganda is that they pick off different political wings in different countries depending on where they see the most fertile ground. Certainly they seem to be much more influential among the US hard right, likewise in France, Hungary and a couple of other locations. Whereas in the UK, Germany and large tracts of the global South they've been courting the "anti-war" far left.
    While the Russians may be courting the "anti-war" far left in the UK and Germany, it's the far right in both of those countries - Farage in the UK and the AfD in Germany - that has been most prominent in its opposition to Western intervention in Ukraine.
    What has Farage opposed? Looking at his timeline I can see him making comments about "Germany and other EU states funding Putin's war machine" but there's nothing comparable to Putin's apologists in the AfD or GOP.
    Farage blamed the Russian invasion of Ukraine on the EU and NATO for provoking Russia. A Putin apologist if ever there was one.
    It is a pretty obvious tell, putting him with the likes of Corbyn and Galloway on the issue.
    Am I misremembering or was it not a popular trope on the right that the EU was provoking Putin by pressing for expansion up to the Russian border, at least before the invasion?
    Indeed. IIRC, was argued just that way here on PB . . . with certainty, conviction and condescension.
  • Options

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

I think Charles might surprise us all by carking it sooner than we think, he is 78 and not looking great. More drama then no doubt.
    Thus passed the reign of King Sausage Fingers.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,114

kle4 said:

TimS said:

Indeed. IIRC, was argued just that way here on PB . . . with certainty, conviction and condescension.
    Are things on PB ever argued in any other way?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,306
    Andy_JS said:

TimS said:

At 21.5gw we have now blown through the previous al time record for wind power set on 30th Dec. Nice one, particularly as demand (at 43gw) is about as high as it gets in the UK.

https://grid.energynumbers.info/

It says 17.20 on here which is the highest I've ever seen.

https://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk
    Me too. Whichever figure is correct these are awesome figures but they will be beaten easily when the new fields come online. By late 2026 wind may well be producing more than 100% of our needs on blowy days.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Well that is rather the point isn't it.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,114

ohnotnow said:

FPT:

Leon said:

HELP

I am belatedly addicted to podcasts thanks to Danny Robins’ Battersea Poltergeist and the follow ups. They are brilliant to listen to during tedious chores - long drives, the gym, household tasks, waiting for the go-go bars to open

Can anyone recommend some really great podcasts? I like anything on - you guessed it - Wokeness, AI, aliens, ghosts, generally weird things, futurology, mad history, Forteana, extreme military stuff, wine and cheese

No politics please, I get an ample share of that here

Any and all suggestions welcome

I can recommend 'The End of the World' podcast series by Josh Clark. Might tick a few of your boxes :

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-end-of-the-world-with-josh-clark/id1437682381

Leon (and etc) you've likely heard most of these already, but in case not

In Our Time episode list, with something for just about everyone:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qykl/episodes/player

PBer may judge the timeliness (or not) of THIS episode, the latest listed:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001gjcm

The Great Stink
    In Our Time
    Melvyn Bragg and guests discuss the impact of the terrible stench of sewage in the Thames in central London in the hot summer of 1858 and the work of Joseph Bazalgette to fix it.

[think this is a repeat episode?]
    My kids took great pleasure in the name when I pointed out a local stink pipe to them the other day.
  • Options

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

It would be literally seconds after Chuck’s demise that our wonderful press would be quoting ‘friends of’ and ‘sources close to’ that after killing gran Harry had also done for his ol’ da.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,405

kle4 said:

TimS said:

The EU, the US or NATO were blamed in varying proportions, according to the prejudices of arguing party.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Reportedly he wants "accountability" before "reconciliation".
    Does that mean Charles need to abdicate ?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

dixiedean said:

Hey you're right, there is a talking version and it is the man himself. That's got to be worth whatever you paid for it.
    £0.00. First audiobook from amazon is on da house.
  • Options

kle4 said:

TimS said:

Are things on PB ever argued in any other way?
    Eh, I'm more of a passive aggressive kind of smug in my arguments.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,336

Labour leads by 22% in the Red Wall, a set of seats they lost by 9% in 2019.

Red Wall VI (8-9 Jan):

Labour 51% (-2)
    Conservative 29% (-1)
    Reform UK 9% (+4)
    Liberal Democrat 5% (-1)
    Green 3% (–)
    Plaid Cymru 1% (–)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 21-22 Nov

Wholesome intact Reform UK on the rise...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Thus passed the reign of King Sausage Fingers.
    Not our greatest monarch but not by any means the wurst.
  • Options
    Hit publish a bit early BBC?

• Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Meanwhile, Sunak supporters are trying to drum up as much love for their man as they can. In Tory WhatsApp groups MPs including Angela Richardson are frequently sending hype man messages to encourage unity

He's ok, just a bit lightweight. If they were not in a crisis he'd probably be a decent PM, but fantasists imagining Boris would sweep all before him are hardly likely to give him the benefit of the doubt, even if he was a bit more substantial.
    Isn't the problem that Sunak can run a government but can't win an election whereas Johnson is the opposite? And before any other party gets complacent the issue is not confined to the Tories. Corbyn very nearly won an election in 2017, for example, but most of us would, I think, agree that his government would have been disastrous one way or another. The intersection of democracy with celebrity guarantees bad government but the Tories seem to have evolved a partial and inefficient work-around: use a celebrity leader to win power then replace him with a technocrat for the long haul. Quite what they thought they were doing with Truss is beyond comprehension.
  • Options

kle4 said:

TimS said:

Yep that was one of the excuses being made. Alongside claims about secret US bases/medical facilities and the involvement of Hunter Biden. There is a whole industry of Ukraine related conspiracy theories/excuses that have popped up on both the far right and the far left - though to be fair to the far left they go more for the excuses and leave the conspiracy theories to the far right.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,431

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

dixiedean said:

Overpriced.
  • Options
    edited January 2023

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Meanwhile, Sunak supporters are trying to drum up as much love for their man as they can. In Tory WhatsApp groups MPs including Angela Richardson are frequently sending hype man messages to encourage unity

He's ok, just a bit lightweight. If they were not in a crisis he'd probably be a decent PM, but fantasists imagining Boris would sweep all before him are hardly likely to give him the benefit of the doubt, even if he was a bit more substantial.
    Isn't the problem that Sunak can run a government but can't win an election whereas Johnson is the opposite? And before any other party gets complacent the issue is not confined to the Tories. Corbyn very nearly won an election in 2017, for example, but most of us would, I think, agree that his government would have been disastrous one way or another. The intersection of democracy with celebrity guarantees bad government but the Tories seem to have evolved a partial and inefficient work-around: use a celebrity leader to win power then replace him with a technocrat for the long haul. Quite what they thought they were doing with Truss is beyond comprehension.
    They need proper political partnerships where vote winners allow actually competent people to get on with things, and the competent but bland are willing to settle for second fiddle. Boris might have wanted to do that, but he was so personally poor with his personal standards that his shit was constantly causing a headache for government.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005

dixiedean said:

IIRC the coronation plan was partly released the other day - only William will be an active part of the service. The rest of Royal Family will simply be spectators. No swearing of oaths by all the Royal Dukes etc.

This also solves the Andrew problem, so I think it sounds quite probable.
    Most likely there won't be any Royal Dukes in future, certainly beyond the sons of the King and Heir to the throne. I suspect the King will also restrict the HRH title to working royals only
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641
    edited January 2023

kinabalu said:

dixiedean said:

It is. And he reads it very well for a non-professional. Listen to the demo on audible:

https://www.audible.co.uk/pd/B0BKQVNW1Q?source_code=ASSORAP0511160007

I have the full Audible, so shall report back with a review.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Well that is rather the point isn't it.
    He should be invited. If he chooses not to come that's his decision.

Hard to see any reconciliation happening with someone who blabs to the press about all sorts of private and intimate matters. Blandly polite conversations are all that you'd risk with someone seeking to make money and stories out of any encounter with you.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

They need proper political partnerships where vote winners allow actually competent people to get on with things, and the competent but bland are willing to settle for second fiddle. Boris might have wanted to do that, but he was so personally poor with his personal standards that his shit was constantly causing a headache for government.
    The thing is, the first sentence is a pretty good reflection of how Boris was as Mayor. Which makes it an interesting question why he was so different as PM.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

dixiedean said:

It is. And he reads it very well for a non-professional. Listen to the demo on audible:

https://www.audible.co.uk/pd/B0BKQVNW1Q?source_code=ASSORAP0511160007

I have the full Audible, so shall report back with a review.
    No spoilers! Saving it for a flight to Nairobi next week.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Presumably. It is a major problem when one or the other party may be making details up (and things are well beyond a 'recollections may vary' extent), because when that happens an appeal to meet halfway, or concede fault, is no longer a fair compromise as it might appear, it means one side has to in effect concede a major point they disagree with just to get things moving.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

Rishi Sunak's approval rating in the Red Wall is -19%.

Rishi Sunak Red Wall Net Approval Rating (8-9 January):

Disapprove: 45% (+8)
    Approve: 26% (-5)
    Net: -19% (-13)

It’s not so much the sheen has come off as been seen through as a misleading veneer of what is actually underneath, surprisingly quickly into this premiership for PM and government to be crashing like this.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Driver said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

The thing is, the first sentence is a pretty good reflection of how Boris was as Mayor. Which makes it an interesting question why he was so different as PM.
    Possibly because a PM, unlike a mayor, actually needs to decide some important things, the setting of major political direction. A mayor might do major things but are constrained by the limits of their office, and policy wise may have less wiggle room. A PM needs to at least give the nod to things, even if they want to let the details be worked by someone else.

What then happens is a Secretary of State delivers what the PM must have signed off on, say planning reforms, it causes a stink, and the PM then pretends they never supported such a thing.

So you need a frontman who still retains some sound judgement, as well as a willingless to not interfere too much. A rare beast.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Does that "accountability" extend to his own accountability for the various criminal offences he appears to have admitted to?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Does that "accountability" extend to his own accountability for the various criminal offences he appears to have admitted to?
    I think it actually means, we can reconcile, but only on my terms.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    Rishi’s strike abolition gambit shows again why he has astonishingly bad political judgement.

His instincts are totally out of sync with with British people’s.
  • Options
    Driver said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

As Mayor, he was appointing minions. Capable minions, but no political status of their own. Evidence: how many Deputy Mayors can anyone name?

As PM, he was appointing potential rivals, so they had to be palpably inferior because of his insecurity about being Big Dog. Evidence: Truss and Sunak.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Hit publish a bit early BBC?

Had me thinking the margin of victory was 20.
  • Options

Rishi’s strike abolition gambit shows again why he has astonishingly bad political judgement.

Are you a member of that collective, or do you just purport to speak on their behalf from afar?
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    kle4 said:

Driver said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Possibly because a PM, unlike a mayor, actually needs to decide some important things, the setting of major political direction. A mayor might do major things but are constrained by the limits of their office, and policy wise may have less wiggle room. A PM needs to at least give the nod to things, even if they want to let the details be worked by someone else.

What then happens is a Secretary of State delivers what the PM must have signed off on, say planning reforms, it causes a stink, and the PM then pretends they never supported such a thing.

So you need a frontman who still retains some sound judgement, as well as a willingless to not interfere too much. A rare beast.
    The London Mayoralty has very little power, almost no spending ability, and enjoys a general lack of press scrutiny.

The main opportunity is to project - either a certain vision, or perhaps just a theatrical persona.

(Also, I think Boris is genuinely excited by public infrastructure.)

London’s only had three mayors, of diminishing effectiveness and charisma.

If the trend continues, Sadiq will be succeeded by an old piece of terry cloth.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

IIRC the coronation plan was partly released the other day - only William will be an active part of the service. The rest of Royal Family will simply be spectators. No swearing of oaths by all the Royal Dukes etc.

Most likely there won't be any Royal Dukes in future, certainly beyond the sons of the King and Heir to the throne. I suspect the King will also restrict the HRH title to working royals only
    HRH is a somewhat ludicrous from of address in the 21st century anyway do you not think? Perhaps Harry could be styled HRL based on where he is stooping?
  • Options

Are you a member of that collective, or do you just purport to speak on their behalf from afar?
    Even from here, Rishi looks crap.
  • Options

Also, it makes the government look reactive and weak.

A smart government- Maggie, for example- would have got the strike restrictions on the books before having the confrontation.

Not entirely Rishi's fault, but since when was politics fair?
  • Options

kle4 said:

Driver said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

The London Mayoralty has very little power, almost no spending ability, and enjoys a general lack of press scrutiny.

The main opportunity is to project - either a certain vision, or perhaps just a theatrical persona.

(Also, I think Boris is genuinely excited by public infrastructure.)

London’s only had three mayors, of diminishing effectiveness and charisma.

If the trend continues, Sadiq will be succeeded by old piece of terry cloth.
    It may surprise you and be the greatest London public official since Jonathan Wilde.
  • Options
    Driver said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Mayor of London perfect job for egomaniacal posh bluffers?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,758
    edited January 2023

dixiedean said:

Hmm. Interesting to see how our PB royalists are all over Harry like sand fleas, but when it comes to the other kinds of Royal they don't want to know, like the aforesaid other royals had been treated with Keatings Powder.
  • Options

49% of voters oppose the rail strikes, far higher than currently back the Tories.

28% even oppose the nurses' strike, no worse than the current Tory poll rating

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2022/12/20/nurses-and-ambulance-workers-have-most-public-supp
  • Options
    ALERT! Washington State Legislature is back in session!!

Meaning that no one's life, liberty and property is secure for at least the next 105 days!!!

Both WA House and Senate convened yesterday, with former re-electing Laurie Jenkins (D-Tacoma) as Speaker, with zero fuss & mess unlike back East in the Other Washington.

Today at 12 noon, Governor Jay Inslee gives his State of the State address to joint session. Elected in 2010 and beginning second half of his third term; believe this is his 13th SOTS speech.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

49% of voters oppose the rail strikes, far higher than currently back the Tories.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2022/12/20/nurses-and-ambulance-workers-have-most-public-supp
    As I said, out of sync.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Still, the rail workers are a lot more popular than the Conservative Party.
  • Options
    edited January 2023

Spot on. But is it just bad judgement or forced on a weak leader in behind the scene compromises?

Hunt briefs we should rejoin EU - Sunak position too weak to sack him - Leaky Sue calls asylum seekers invading force, Sunak’s position too weak to sack her.

He is balancing a fractious party at the end of the day, we need to keep remembering this.
  • Options
    The problem is that polling rail strikes on their own is a bit pointless now. The narrative has moved on.

It is that people don't get paid enough - and the first people that come to mind for that are nurses and doctors.

Rishi had his chance to get on top of this and make some political hay but he's left it too late.

30 point lead, nailed on for Labour IMHO
  • Options

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HRH is a somewhat ludicrous from of address in the 21st century anyway do you not think? Perhaps Harry could be styled HRL based on where he is stooping?
    No, we have a Royal Family so we have Royal Highnesses
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641

A smart government- Maggie, for example- would have got the strike restrictions on the books before having the confrontation.

I think it likely to make strikes in the relevant sectors drag on even longer than the current disputes, with the striking staff rotating through the emergency cover and striking twice as many days in half the numbers.

67 patients had been in our ED more than 12 hours when I switched on this AM, the longest on their third day. Who do we sue for lack of essential cover on non strike days?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Boris Johnson as a man on horseback.

https://twitter.com/Wilson_2003x/status/1611850362624802816

Perhaps the Committee on Privileges might unhorse him sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,580
    edited January 2023
    Scott_xP said:

Cornwall WILL have its day in the stratosphere! Kernew ow mos dhe'n nev!!

Edit - To clarify, I'm sincere in saying this. Would appear to be a natural launch pad.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970
    Foxy said:

I think it likely to make strikes in the relevant sectors drag on even longer than the current disputes, with the striking staff rotating through the emergency cover and striking twice as many days in half the numbers.

67 patients had been in our ED more than 12 hours when I switched on this AM, the longest on their third day. Who do we sue for lack of essential cover on non strike days?
    In what way does Cross Country Trains cancelling one third of trains with no strike constitute a minimum service?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,263
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

The problem with that approach comes when Charlotte and Louis are cut off from being "proper Royals", but then George fails to procreate and they need to reactivate them later.
  • Options

He speaks very highly of you I am sure.

BTW, are you actually Bartholomew Roberts with a changed political affiliation? I used to think that only Barty stayed on this site 24/7 ? You seem to have stolen his title as PB's Most Prolific Poster of Pointless Points of View ?
  • Options
    Driver said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Dominic Cummings was busy with Gove when Johnson was Mayor of London.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    dr_spyn said:

That will only hurt Sunak even more.

Anti-Tories (and those who care about standards) would just get even more angry at the party, whilst Borisites will be furious at Sunak for not being able to protect their man.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Does that "accountability" extend to his own
    accountability for the various criminal offences he appears to have admitted to?
    Trying to reconcile with Prince Harry would be like attempting a reconciliation with Joffrey.

• Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,616
    DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

TimS said:

At 21.5gw we have now blown through the previous al time record for wind power set on 30th Dec. Nice one, particularly as demand (at 43gw) is about as high as it gets in the UK.

https://grid.energynumbers.info/

It says 17.20 on here which is the highest I've ever seen.

https://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk
    Me too. Whichever figure is correct these are awesome figures but they will be beaten easily when the new fields come online. By late 2026 wind may well be producing more than 100% of our needs on blowy days.
    Definitely over 21gw and now being reported widely.

https://twitter.com/goodenergy/status/1612858564590145558?s=46&t=ZWRGINd9jfYzMFeL1CyC0Q

I think it’s since peaked higher than the 21.3gw quoted in the tweet.
  • Options

The problem is that polling rail strikes on their own is a bit pointless now. The narrative has moved on.

It is that people don't get paid enough - and the first people that come to mind for that are nurses and doctors.

Rishi had his chance to get on top of this and make some political hay but he's left it too late.

I agree. The inept Sunak government have managed to put ambulance queues, full hospitals due to social care issues, and hollowed out nursing staff - all down to mistakes from 12 years in government - on the news every night this winter, when they could so easily have stopped these strikes months ago - 6-7% plus one off or back dated lump sums - without remotely damaging the fight with inflation.

they have also sown the idea incomes are lagging behind now as part of their economic master plan: look at us, intransigent hardcore defenders of the latest budget. This is where the narrative is moving, with this government actually helping it move there.
  • Options
    edited January 2023

BTW, are you actually Bartholomew Roberts with a changed political affiliation? I used to think that only Barty stayed on this site 24/7 ? You seem to have stolen his title as PB's Most Prolific Poster of Pointless Points of View ?
    You’ve posted more often than me, on average, since you joined.
  • Options

There are four types of people on PB.com: those who lurk and do not post, those who once posted but are sadly missed, those who post too much for their own good, and the venerable JackW.
  • Options
    edited January 2023

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

dixiedean said:

Ah using it to increase customer base. Bezos not a squillionaire for nothing.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

dr_spyn said:

That will only hurt Sunak even more.

Anti-Tories (and those who care about standards) would just get even more angry at the party, whilst Borisites will be furious at Sunak for not being able to protect their man.
    That’s an interesting point. there is something big developing in front our eyes here - can the Tories go all the way up and into the next General Election with Sunak and Hunt in these positions and the polls not moving, and all the factions getting angry? The fact it’s another two years is not actually in Sunak’s favour, come this November if the polls have not Improved the Tories very likely to twist than stick, aren’t they?

Okay maybe not in Boris favour, though Boris and his support could easily hollow Sunak completely out this summer if they choose to, so someone else takes the crown come November December - Wallace or Penny most likely. That would at least give Boris and his supporters some sort of closure, drowning the assassin.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

The problem with that approach comes when Charlotte and Louis are cut off from being "proper Royals", but then George fails to procreate and they need to reactivate them later.
    What's 21st (or maybe 22nd) century equivalent, of inserting a semi-suitable heir into line of succession, via a convenient warming pan?
  • Options
    edited January 2023

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The last Yougov in June 2022 before Boris resigned the next month had the Tories on 33% and RefUK on 3%.

The latest Yougov has the Tories on 25% with RefUK on 7%.

So unless and until Rishi gets the Tory voteshare back over 30% and squeezes the RefUK total their will always be some wanting to bring Boris back

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election#Graphical_summary

You are ignoring the Trussterfuck that came between.
    Truss was even worse than Boris and Rishi as PM
    Is my point. You can't do a read across from Boris to Sunak without recognising how far things dropped under Truss - and Rishi is taking some steps to turn the brand around.
    Quite the opposite actually. I am surprised how quickly Sunak and his government have become the problem. He just doesn’t look or Sound like a PM. If viewed as out of touch, it’s the same thing as not trusted to deliver.

The polling truth, and by all means argue with me, a big drop under Truss, a bit of a limp recovery under Sunak honeymoon, which stalled, and Tories are now slipping backwards through the 20’s.

Why? What are the drivers to what happened and is happening in polling?

Truss did not drop at first is the truth. In fact her initial polls showed IMPROVEMENT on Boris last ones. The drop occurred after a politically unpopular budget on eve of Labour conference, a budget harshly treated by the media as an economically disastrous one. The problems Truss had, over borrowed over taxed for many giveaways, were not actually predicted by Sunak but CAUSED by Sunak in his profligate time as chancellor.

The Labour conference itself was very “meh”, nothing special to excite the voters.

Conclusion is the actual fall in Tory support under Truss was largely a contrivance in much the same Hunt and Sunak being an answer to the Truss problem is a contrivance too. The actual economic mess was 100% created by Boris and Sunak before Truss gained power. The actual problem isn’t Truss and her agenda, it was the problems Boris and Sunak left her with - and this will continue to be reflected in the polling for as long as PM Sunak remains there, as the architect of the mess dragging the Tories down.

No voting recovery under Sunak, the voters know he is to blame.
    On topic. Parts of Kwarsi budget deemed damaging were never implemented to damage anything, and why should Labour polling have benefitted from the other parts of the Kwasi budget marked dangerous, when the ongoing Labour conference openly supported or were even architect of these Truss policies?

2 big factors that dragged Truss down were not even in the Kwasi budget, her refusal for further windfall tax and her adoption of Labour/Martin Lewis insanely expensive and unprogressive energy cash giveaway. The volcanic eruption of the markets seemed to settle down the very second those policies were changed.

The truth the voters are getting to grips with, not that Truss economic liberalism and growth budget was dangerous, it was simply dangerously incompatible with the tax and borrow straight jacket the Sunak years had strapped Truss, and all of us into. That’s why the markets said no - not that the markets opposed first bit of decent growth under the Tories 14 years in power would come in the 2 year Truss reign, but her policies for achieving that growth were assessed by the markets as incompatible with the straightjacket of borrowing and tax, and imminent recession, Boris and Sunak left her with.

The voters know all this. They know who is most to blame. The reason the Tories get less than 30% at the next GE and MPtastrophe wont be because of forty odd days of Truss, but 3 years of Boris and Sunak followed by 2 years of Sunak Hunt.

Which of these facts do you wish to dispute?
  • Options
    London School changes its name from Sir Francis Drake after BLM protests.

Now being attacked on twitter for this appalling disrespect for the Armada hero

https://twitter.com/BBCLondonNews/status/1612743990972907521?s=20&t=J437yjeKhI_uCsC1mTtlKg
  • Options

I agree. The inept Sunak government have managed to put ambulance queues, full hospitals due to social care issues, and hollowed out nursing staff - all down to mistakes from 12 years in government - on the news every night this winter, when they could so easily have stopped these strikes months ago - 6-7% plus one off or back dated lump sums - without remotely damaging the fight with inflation.

they have also sown the idea incomes are lagging behind now as part of their economic master plan: look at us, intransigent hardcore defenders of the latest budget. This is where the narrative is moving, with this government actually helping it move there.
    Partly, they all believe this stuff. Sunak would be happier as a small state sunbelt Republican if it weren't for Trump and culture wars. Hunt only looks moderate by comparison with his colleagues; in any other Conservative cabinet, he would have been pretty right wing.

But mostly, they are desparate to have a rabbit they can pull from the hat in a 2024 budget. It probably won't work, but it's their best chance. And they have exactly one rabbit, which can't be consumed on public sector pay rises this year. It may be a dead rabbit by next year, but that's a chance they have to take.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

No, they would all have titles as children of King William but only George's children would have titles after them
  • Options
    Legal News via

Courthouse News - No bail for former Girardi bookkeeper facing fraud charges
    The former Girardi CFO is accused of stealing millions of dollars from the firm, which prosecutors say he spent on multiple properties, travel around the world, and a $20,000-a-month escort.

The former chief financial officer of the defunct Girardi & Keese law firm lost his bid to be released from jail while fighting charges he stole $10 million from the firm in a "side fraud" scheme separate from the estimated $100 million disgraced attorney Thomas Girardi is accused to have siphoned off from his clients' trust funds.

U.S. District Judge Dale Fischer on Monday rejected the arguments by a lawyer for Christopher Kamon that his client wanted a "fresh start" and that there are perfectly innocent explanations why he liquidated his assets in the U.S., transferred millions of dollars to overseas bank accounts, and bought a $2.4 million home in the Bahamas.

"The government has proven that he's a flight risk," Fischer said at the hearing in LA federal court. "The transfer of funds is extremely suspicious in my view."

Kamon, 49, has been in jail since his arrest Nov. 5 at the airport in Baltimore when he returned for the Bahamas. Prosecutors with the U.S. Attorney's Office in LA say that Kamon planned to leave the county, change his name and hide, citing an unidentified witness who they say was an unwitting co-schemer who believed the accountant had authority to use the law firm's funds for his private pursuits.

Prosecutors say Kamon, who worked at the Girardi Keese accounting department for almost two decades, used falsified invoices, fraudulent transfers and cash kickbacks from the firm's accounts to steal millions of dollars. They also claim he improperly used the firm's funds for his personal expenses, including home renovations, travel around the world on private planes and and tens of thousands a month for "female companionship."

It was highly doubtful that he was authorized to provide a $20,000 monthly allowance to an escort, Assistant U.S. Attorney Ali Moghaddas said at the hearing.

If convicted, the accountant could face 11 to 14 years in prison just for his "side fraud," according to the government. That doesn't take into account Kamon possible culpability in the broader fraud scheme perpetrated by Girardi and others, which involved an estimated $100 million stolen from client settlement funds, the government said.

https://www.courthousenews.com/no-bail-for-former-girardi-bookkeeper-facing-fraud-charges/

SSI - Yet they've let Bankman-Fraud (sp?) the Crypto King out on bail . . . for time being, anyway . . .
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Don't you think the "Highness" is a little silly though. When you think about it, it seems to be referring to someone of huge physical stature or perhaps someone that has been using too much dope. "Majesty" makes sense, whereas "Highness" is just plain ridiculous.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132

Except that the Government can't just throw money about by resorting to infinite borrowing, so if it's going to pay for largesse to state workers this is going to have to come through spending cuts elsewhere (and what's left to cut?) or from raising taxes (which, unless it goes after the wealthy, is simply going to give with one hand and take with the other.)

So, you're Sunak, and you can either shower unionised state workers with money by picking the pockets of aged homeowners and the very wealthy, or you can keep insulating your core vote from all the pain and tell the aforementioned workers to fuck off. What do you do? Hmmmm, decisions decisions.
  • Options

There are four types of people on PB.com: those who lurk and do not post, those who once posted but are sadly missed, those who post too much for their own good, and the venerable JackW.
    Compared to Farmer Tupac, @BartholomewRoberts is/was a lurker.
  • Options

Legal News via

The former Girardi CFO is accused of stealing millions of dollars from the firm, which prosecutors say he spent on multiple properties, travel around the world, and a $20,000-a-month escort.

The former chief financial officer of the defunct Girardi & Keese law firm lost his bid to be released from jail while fighting charges he stole $10 million from the firm in a "side fraud" scheme separate from the estimated $100 million disgraced attorney Thomas Girardi is accused to have siphoned off from his clients' trust funds.

U.S. District Judge Dale Fischer on Monday rejected the arguments by a lawyer for Christopher Kamon that his client wanted a "fresh start" and that there are perfectly innocent explanations why he liquidated his assets in the U.S., transferred millions of dollars to overseas bank accounts, and bought a $2.4 million home in the Bahamas.

"The government has proven that he's a flight risk," Fischer said at the hearing in LA federal court. "The transfer of funds is extremely suspicious in my view."

Kamon, 49, has been in jail since his arrest Nov. 5 at the airport in Baltimore when he returned for the Bahamas. Prosecutors with the U.S. Attorney's Office in LA say that Kamon planned to leave the county, change his name and hide, citing an unidentified witness who they say was an unwitting co-schemer who believed the accountant had authority to use the law firm's funds for his private pursuits.

Prosecutors say Kamon, who worked at the Girardi Keese accounting department for almost two decades, used falsified invoices, fraudulent transfers and cash kickbacks from the firm's accounts to steal millions of dollars. They also claim he improperly used the firm's funds for his personal expenses, including home renovations, travel around the world on private planes and and tens of thousands a month for "female companionship."

It was highly doubtful that he was authorized to provide a $20,000 monthly allowance to an escort, Assistant U.S. Attorney Ali Moghaddas said at the hearing.

If convicted, the accountant could face 11 to 14 years in prison just for his "side fraud," according to the government. That doesn't take into account Kamon possible culpability in the broader fraud scheme perpetrated by Girardi and others, which involved an estimated $100 million stolen from client settlement funds, the government said.

https://www.courthousenews.com/no-bail-for-former-girardi-bookkeeper-facing-fraud-charges/

SSI - Yet they've let Bankman-Fraud (sp?) the Crypto King out on bail . . . for time being, anyway . . .

“$20,000-a-month escort” ?

Are we in the wrong job?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,003

Scott_xP said:

Edit - To clarify, I'm sincere in saying this. Would appear to be a natural launch pad.
    Not sure what the Cornish phrase said, but Cornwall is an *awful* place for a traditional vertical rocket launch, as it is best for them to either launch eastwards or occasionally northwards (depending on required orbit) to take advantage of the Earth's spin. And that means the first stage from a Cornish launch will land in France, Belgium or London, causing millions of pounds worth of improvements.

Virgin Orbit get around this by launching out at sea and at altitude. But that can only cope with very small satellites.

The two UK vertical rocket launch centres being developed (Durness/Tongue on the mainland, and Unst on Shetland) will both launch only to sun-synchronous orbits, and will in at least one case have to use up some power doglegging to avoid some oil rigs (from memory...)
  • Options

Partly, they all believe this stuff. Sunak would be happier as a small state sunbelt Republican if it weren't for Trump and culture wars. Hunt only looks moderate by comparison with his colleagues; in any other Conservative cabinet, he would have been pretty right wing.

But mostly, they are desparate to have a rabbit they can pull from the hat in a 2024 budget. It probably won't work, but it's their best chance. And they have exactly one rabbit, which can't be consumed on public sector pay rises this year. It may be a dead rabbit by next year, but that's a chance they have to take.

"Sunak would be happier as a small state sunbelt Republican . . ."

Not sure exactly how you mean "small state": geographically? in population? ideologically? how small is small?

But think that former Governor Bobby Jindal of Louisiana already filled that bill:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Jindal
  • Options

I don’t like all this dead rabbit talk.

Could you substitute in foxes, or spiders? Meat Flies would happily hide in a black hat, it wouldn’t even be against their Geneva rights.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

No, they would all have titles as children of King William but only George's children would have titles after them
    There's plenty of precedent for people acquiring titles by inheriting when another branch of the family comes to an end.

Several of Kings of England have done this. Sometimes after a somewhat personal deletion of the other branch of the family.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Losing your virginity to an older woman in a car park, you mean? Don't think that's illegal. Maybe ought to be. Not sure.

(sorry for spoiler to PBers who've bought the book)
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Not sure what the Cornish phrase said, but Cornwall is an *awful* place for a traditional vertical rocket launch, as it is best for them to either launch eastwards or occasionally northwards (depending on required orbit) to take advantage of the Earth's spin. And that means the first stage from a Cornish launch will land in France, Belgium or London, causing millions of pounds worth of improvements.

Virgin Orbit get around this by launching out at sea and at altitude. But that can only cope with very small satellites.

The two UK vertical rocket launch centres being developed (Durness/Tongue on the mainland, and Unst on Shetland) will both launch only to sun-synchronous orbits, and will in at least one case have to use up some power doglegging to avoid some oil rigs (from memory...)
    At least Cornwall CAN be launch pad eastward out to sea AND up the Channel? Albeit with constraints?

As my own rocket science consists of watching friends launch (occasionally) Estes model rockets out to the edge of the nearest parking lot, re: further learned debate will defer to other PBers.
  • Options

Legal News via

Are we in the wrong job?
    Great minds think alike!
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,003

Scott_xP said:

At least Cornwall CAN be launch pad eastward out to sea AND up the Channel? Albeit with constraints?

As my own rocket science consists of watching friends launch (occasionally) Estes model rockets out to the edge of the nearest parking lot, re: further learned debate will defer to other PBers.
    After the stoopid mistake I made yesterday on here with some simple maths, you'd be better off not deferring to me. ;)
  • Options
    Apparently "Spare" is being likened to the Harry Potter books. I suspect it will be similarly believable, similarly poor from a literary sense, but very not similar in its entertainment.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

Except that the Government can't just throw money about by resorting to infinite borrowing, so if it's going to pay for largesse to state workers this is going to have to come through spending cuts elsewhere (and what's left to cut?) or from raising taxes (which, unless it goes after the wealthy, is simply going to give with one hand and take with the other.)

So, you're Sunak, and you can either shower unionised state workers with money by picking the pockets of aged homeowners and the very wealthy, or you can keep insulating your core vote from all the pain and tell the aforementioned workers to fuck off. What do you do? Hmmmm, decisions decisions.
    Nonsense. It’s the government themselves floating the idea of one off payments for cost of living and advances from future pay increases. And if you think they don’t have plenty spare to play with, after a such a massive tax take budget filling a fictitious £60bn black hole, you are very naïve.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Don't you think the "Highness" is a little silly though. When you think about it, it seems to be referring to someone of huge physical stature or perhaps someone that has been using too much dope. "Majesty" makes sense, whereas "Highness" is just plain ridiculous.
    Using a (slightly) more modern definition of "Highness" am inclined to believe, I really AM one of nature's noblemen!
  • Options

Legal News via

Are we in the wrong job?
    Great minds think alike!
    It didn’t say which sex the escort was?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

There's plenty of precedent for people acquiring titles by inheriting when another branch of the family comes to an end.

Several of Kings of England have done this. Sometimes after a somewhat personal deletion of the other branch of the family.
    Royal titles only is the point here not just aristocratic titles.

HRH and Prince and Princess alone which will be in future for the children of the monarch and heir only
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

https://twitter.com/BBCLondonNews/status/1612743990972907521?s=20&t=J437yjeKhI_uCsC1mTtlKg

Hmm, he was a slave trader and violent thief, you do know.

And of course he was too busy looting to be as much of an Armada hero as he should. He'd have made a good Tory MP today, enriching himself in his work time when taking a publicly funded salary.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Losing your virginity to an older woman in a car park, you mean? Don't think that's illegal. Maybe ought to be. Not sure.

(sorry for spoiler to PBers who've bought the book)
    Quite a lot of drug use, apparently. At least according to the BBC reviewer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64223264
  • Options

Apparently "Spare" is being likened to the Harry Potter books. I suspect it will be similarly believable, similarly poor from a literary sense, but very not similar in its entertainment.

Could make a whale (or rather Wales?) of a movie, depending on script AND casting.

Nominate Dame Judy Dench for the role of . . . wait for it . . . Mrs Meghan Markle Mountbatten-Windsor.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Hmm, he was a slave trader and violent thief, you do know.

And of course he was too busy looting to be as much of an Armada hero as he should. He'd have made a good Tory MP today, enriching himself in his work time when taking a publicly funded salary.
    Did he have a publicly funded salary? Wow, no doubt he would have thought himself entitled to huge pay rises when those in the private sector were having pay cuts or freezes and perhaps he thought he also ought to have a huge index linked pension and a job where he was unsackable/unexecutable?

I think the clue was in the name privateer. No pension, no payrise entitlement and lots of risk.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

It will be interesting when first stages get to the reliability level that they are allowed to fly over people. In countries that aren't China, of course.

I think we are only a few years from that.
This discussion has been closed.