Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Not much joy for the Tories in the 2023 polls – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,448
    Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

SandraMc said:

I've just watched Ben Elton's Upstart, Crow for the first time.

A friend tipped me off - had no idea that existed, even though it's been around 5 years.

I was crying tears of laughter in episode one. Brilliant.

Ben Elton's uncle Sir Geoffrey Elton was a distinguished Tudor historian. I read his book "The Tudor Constitution" for History A level.
    Geoffrey Elton was the quintessential English establishment historian. Which brought him much criticism in his later years from the avant-garde historians.

This is really amusing given his background, of course. Indeed, as he had a sense of humour he found it so himself. He wrote a charming letter to one critic, noting 'I am not English-born and not perhaps quite so insular as you suppose.'
    Ben's brother Tim, meanwhile, was something very senior in IBM. I met him once when our IT department was being outsourced. He looked exactly the same as his brother. It was mildly discombobulating.
    Tom, not Tim.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,034
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

The problem is, it used to be about having a job.
    There's plenty who have full time jobs now and can't make ends meet.
    Meanwhile R4 thinks lack of snow in ski resorts is a story.

I would imagine R4 listeners are on average more likely to ski than the average Brit
    Possibly true, but it is far from a posh sport. In my early years we were cramped into a cheap apartment sleeping in the hall and living room and that wasn't untypical in the big resorts. As I got more money I could afford all in chalets, but again that is not expensive compared to a typical summer holiday.

The lack of snow and glaciers receding obviously is important indicator of climate change and even before that skiers would be monitoring the ski reports daily on ceefax with their fingers crossed.
    Though the average skiing holiday now costs £4688 for a family of 4.
    17% of the annual UK household income and not much different to the cost of a holiday in the Maldives or Caribbean, something also more likely to be undertaken by the upper middle classes and the rich.

https://travelweekly.co.uk/articles/299857/family-ski-trips-account-for-fifth-of-average-disposable-income

In the US over half of skiiers earn over $100 000 a year

https://www.powder.com/stories/opinion/extend-the-family/
    I have never ever paid anywhere near that amount. You need to stop reading articles written by people with more money than sense.
    Really?

I’ve just done 4 days in Switzerland (not the cheapest way to do it, admittedly)

Flights (return)- £130
    Resort transfer (bus) - £100
    Lift pass - £250
    Ski & boot rental - £150

That’s £650 and I was staying with someone so had free food and lodging. Let’s round it up to £750 for a week (pass and rental) and add in £500 for cheap accommodation and food premium in a resort (self catering)

It’s very easy to get to £1,200 / £4,800 for a family of 4.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Wings taking a pop at James Kelly, late of this parish:

https://twitter.com/WingsScotland/status/1611382124883628033

He has blocked me so I cannot comment
    Who, James or Wings?
    Wings
    That’s surprisingly precious of the Vicar of Bath, who purports to enjoy robust debates - typical bully then - can dish it out but can’t take it (though blocking does seem to be a feature of Scottish politics):

Apparently, the convener of the committee that considers equalities, human rights and civil justice matter including debt, evictions and family law would prefer not to know what I think. Rampant hubris on my part, of course, but I remain flabbergasted.….

In general, I support anyone’s right to block on Twitter. But @joefitzsnp is the convener of the Scottish Parliament’s Equalities, Human Rights and *CIVIL JUSTICE* Committee. That being so, I find this news 👇🏻surprising and disappointing.

https://twitter.com/RoddyQC/status/1609914678888611842

Roddy is Dean of the Faculty of Advocates
    Surprised that Roddy has the energy to bother with this after his widely (self) publicised plans to move down to England to take advantage of Truss's benign and wise tax regime. Cancelling those removal vans and offers on property down there must have taken a lot of time and money.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Who, James or Wings?
    Wings
    That’s surprisingly precious of the Vicar of Bath, who purports to enjoy robust debates - typical bully then - can dish it out but can’t take it (though blocking does seem to be a feature of Scottish politics):

Apparently, the convener of the committee that considers equalities, human rights and civil justice matter including debt, evictions and family law would prefer not to know what I think. Rampant hubris on my part, of course, but I remain flabbergasted.….

In general, I support anyone’s right to block on Twitter. But @joefitzsnp is the convener of the Scottish Parliament’s Equalities, Human Rights and *CIVIL JUSTICE* Committee. That being so, I find this news 👇🏻surprising and disappointing.

Mind you Wings comeback both on Twitter and in general has eth SNP wallahs apoplectic. He raised more money in the first hour than the SNP got in a year. For all his ranting he does get the real facts down and that is the last thing the SNP want in public. Their latest wheeze to make it a crime if you even think about someone's gender is absolutely unbelieveable.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,405
    ydoethur said:

Well, Harry's got us all talking about his badly written drivel.

From what I have seen, the real question about all this is how the fuck did anyone so utterly lacking in literary talent manage to become established as a ghostwriter?

In important news, wind production is annoyingly not as high as it might be. Suspect some turbines have had to be turned off due to the gales.

https://gridwatch.co.uk/

Alternative plot for “Ghost” - the ghost writers for the ex-PM were murdered (and the ex-PM), not by the CIA, but by a secret organisation of Nobel prize winning authors. Dedicated to stamping out dross. The bizarre deaths the are due to the rotating chair of the organisation going to a Magic Realist…..
  • Options
    Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

dixiedean said:

Kill 25 people get bad karma.

I can't believe the publishers allowed that to be included.

I mean maybe it doesn't matter if Prince Harry, the Royal Family and the British people are terrorist targets but you wouldn't have thought it's a position Random House would want to find themselves in would you?
    Perhaps Harry thinks the Taliban claim will force us to pay for his 24x7 security.
    Am I the only one not surprised that Army active service as an Apache pilot/weapons officer involves killing people? Or that military training deliberately desensitises people to the task?

Surely that was what he was there to do?
    The issue is the dehumanised way he talked about them (like they were characters ina computer game). Real soldiers don’t do that.

Mind you I’ve heard that he spent most of his time in Afghanistan confirmed to barracks and playing computer games…

• Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,611
    The skiing cost comments got me doing some mental arithmetic from our last trip (in school holidays). Rough costs

Tunnel £200 return
    Fuel for drive down £150 return
    Motorway tolls £160
    Rental flat for week £1000
    Ski passes £500
    Equipment hire £250
    Kids Lessons £300
    Food and drink £700
    Sundry stuff like day trips £200

Total around £3.5k. I’ve rounded up a bit as I think we got various discounts on things like equipment and probably spent less than that on meals but even so it’s not far off the number HYUFD quoted when you include
    everything, and that was a fairly basic independently booked holiday using the tunnel and car.
  • Options

Also Prince Charles aired his laundry in public with the Dimbleby book and interview.

It's a mystery as to why Jonathan son of Richard and brother of David is such an enthusiastic advocate for Chuck and his dynastic firm. He's been quite busy the last few days.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,259
    edited January 2023
    ydoethur said:

From what I have seen, the real question about all this is how the fuck did anyone so utterly lacking in literary talent manage to become established as a ghostwriter?

In important news, wind production is annoyingly not as high as it might be. Suspect some turbines have had to be turned off due to the gales.

The eirgrid charts include forecast wind generation. You can see that wind power for the Irish grid is forecast to reach a maximum today in the late afternoon and early evening. As the wind is coming from the Atlantic, would expect peak British production some time later.

https://www.smartgriddashboard.com/#all/wind
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,225

Andy_JS said:

McCarthy has clearly got it this time.

Backed off the boards on Betfair.
    Much better to do it @ evens before the Herd :)
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    Cookie said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

moonshine said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Prince Harry reveals Camilla turned his bedroom into a dressing room in latest shocking revelation from his new book

https://twitter.com/benjaminbutter/status/1611341598595616770?s=20&t=_Zk1CRup8rD0wODizb4vVA

I weep at the injustices suffered by poor Prince Harry.
    Decades more of his tedium to look forward to. Or might we blessed with him drifting into obscurity now the story is sold?
    The publishers will have got the 'juiciest' stories, I reckon. And the ones released so far probably damage H&M's brand than the royal family's.

I reckon in ten years they'll be reduced to sob stories about how the royal family are blanking them. Although who could blame the royal family: it's obvious that anything said in private will soon become public knowledge.

If I had a family member like that (and wealth...) I'd communicate via lawyer's letters...
    I think I'd save the fee by not communicating at all.
    I try very hard not to have any interest in this nonsense at all but I do, at last, feel sorry for Charles. He had a couple of decades with an extremely manipulative wife and ex wife making his life a misery by playing the media game and now his son is doing the same, despite his pleas not to. Charles is an emotionally stunted and damaged individual who inevitably has little to no understanding of normal life but no one deserves two helpings of this in a single lifetime.
    The whole psychodrama could have been avoided if Charles had either been allowed to marry Camilla in the first place or found someone else that he actually loved and married her while not shagging Camilla at the same time. Pretending to love Diana, marrying her but carrying on with Camilla at the same time was an unforgivable act of caddishness on his part and he deserved everything he got from Diana and then some. People who cheat on their spouses get zero sympathy from me.
    I don't think the royals are expected to abide by the same sort of code of behaviour as the rest of us on this matter.
    Surely Diana went into the marriage with her eyes open? Wives of heirs are there to provide more heirs. If there is some sort of love, respect or affection then that is a bonus.

I agree with malcolm downthread that Charles appears to be a pompous arse. But being a pompous arse doesn't rank quite as low as publicy and repeatedly trashing your family (whom you claim to want a reconciliation with).
    Kate Middleton appears to have gone into the situation with her eyes (at least) wide open. I don’t think anybody’s ever suggested that William has played away, though.
  • Options

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

moonshine said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Prince Harry reveals Camilla turned his bedroom into a dressing room in latest shocking revelation from his new book

https://twitter.com/benjaminbutter/status/1611341598595616770?s=20&t=_Zk1CRup8rD0wODizb4vVA

Decades more of his tedium to look forward to. Or might we blessed with him drifting into obscurity now the story is sold?
    The publishers will have got the 'juiciest' stories, I reckon. And the ones released so far probably damage H&M's brand than the royal family's.

I reckon in ten years they'll be reduced to sob stories about how the royal family are blanking them. Although who could blame the royal family: it's obvious that anything said in private will soon become public knowledge.

If I had a family member like that (and wealth...) I'd communicate via lawyer's letters...
    I try very hard not to have any interest in this nonsense at all but I do, at last, feel sorry for Charles. He had a couple of decades with an extremely manipulative wife and ex wife making his life a misery by playing the media game and now his son is doing the same, despite his pleas not to. Charles is an emotionally stunted and damaged individual who inevitably has little to no understanding of normal life but no one deserves two helpings of this in a single lifetime.
    The whole psychodrama could have been avoided if Charles had either been allowed to marry Camilla in the first place or found someone else that he actually loved and married her while not shagging Camilla at the same time. Pretending to love Diana, marrying her but carrying on with Camilla
    at the same time was an unforgivable act of caddishness on his part and he deserved everything he got from Diana and then some. People who cheat on their spouses get zero sympathy from me.
    He didn’t before the separation
  • Options
    edited January 2023

ydoethur said:

The eirgrid charts include forecast wind generation. You can see that wind power for the Irish grid is forecast to reach a maximum today in the late afternoon and early evening. As the wind is coming from the Atlantic, would expect peak British production some time later.

And the wind is mainly in the South. I’ve noticed it’s often disappointingly low when it’s windy down here but calm in Scotland for the onshore turbines and in the Irish Sea. Looks like we’ll be back around 29gw by early afternoon.

And probably breaking the all time record this evening, when demand is also high.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,405

ydoethur said:

Alternative plot for “Ghost” - the ghost writers for the ex-PM were murdered (and the ex-PM), not by the CIA, but by a secret organisation of Nobel prize winning authors. Dedicated to stamping out dross. The bizarre deaths the are due to the rotating chair of the organisation going to a Magic Realist…..
    …the plot turns on an Oxford Comma, used in the delivery instructions for a pineapple pizza.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Cookie said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

moonshine said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

The whole psychodrama could have been avoided if Charles had either been allowed to marry Camilla in the first place or found someone else that he actually loved and married her while not shagging Camilla at the same time. Pretending to love Diana, marrying her but carrying on with Camilla at the same time was an unforgivable act of caddishness on his part and he deserved everything he got from Diana and then some. People who cheat on their spouses get zero sympathy from me.
    I don't think the royals are expected to abide by the same sort of code of behaviour as the rest of us on this matter.
    Surely Diana went into the marriage with her eyes open? Wives of heirs are there to provide more heirs. If there is some sort of love, respect or affection then that is a bonus.

I agree with malcolm downthread that Charles appears to be a pompous arse. But being a pompous arse doesn't rank quite as low as publicy and repeatedly trashing your family (whom you claim to want a reconciliation with).
    Kate Middleton appears to have gone into the situation with her eyes (at least) wide open. I don’t think anybody’s ever suggested that William has played away, though.
    Really?
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,905
    edited January 2023
    malcolmg said:

Eabhal said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

I would imagine R4 listeners are on average more likely to ski than the average Brit
    And R4 presenters and editors even more so.
    All welcome. Leave your tanks at home, please. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-64176020
    You have to be mad to want to ski in Scotland.

a) If there is snow it is difficult to get to
    b) It is cold
    c) The runs are rubbish.
    I'm mad.

One way ticket to Belford/Raigmore/ARI. Watch out for the mud.

Good Uncle Tom impersonation there.
    Eh? Just speaking from personal experience. I've had loads of fun skiing in Scotland, just got to be careful. Last time I tried I got stuck in a massive traffic jam at the Spittal of Glenshee. Cairngorm is always going bankrupt, Nevis has successfully diversified into Mountain Biking.

It's a shame 2020/21 was such an amazing winter. Was fun watching people fly off the top of the Pentlands.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,225

Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

dixiedean said:

I mean maybe it doesn't matter if Prince Harry, the Royal Family and the British people are terrorist targets but you wouldn't have thought it's a position Random House would want to find themselves in would you?
    Perhaps Harry thinks the Taliban claim will force us to pay for his 24x7 security.
    Am I the only one not surprised that Army active service as an Apache pilot/weapons officer involves killing people? Or that military training deliberately desensitises people to the task?

The issue is the dehumanised way he talked about them (like they were characters ina computer game). Real soldiers don’t do that.

Mind you I’ve heard that he spent most of his time in Afghanistan confirmed to barracks and playing computer games…
    I spy the 'No True Soldier' fallacy.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

moonshine said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Do you really think if the heir to the throne was the son of Charles and Camilla rather than Charles and Diana the monarchy would have been as secure in the next generation?

Of course not, the Queen correctly ensured Charles married Diana for the future of the institution.

Camilla may be Queen Consort now but Diana is still mother and grandmother of all the top 7 in the line of succession
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,674
    malcolmg said:

Cookie said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

moonshine said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Agree totally Cookie, Harry is either ill or a rank bad un. Totally lost the plot.
    I wonder if one of his interviewers has asked him how his substance abuse affected his mental health? Or why he didn’t refer his wife to his psychotherapist when she needed help? You’d have thought a spouse would be a first port of call ahead of an HR department.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,631
    TimS said:

The skiing cost comments got me doing some mental arithmetic from our last trip (in school holidays). Rough costs

Tunnel £200 return
    Motorway tolls £160
    Ski passes £500
    Equipment hire £250
    Kids Lessons £300
    Food and drink £700

Total around £3.5k. I’ve rounded up a bit as I think we got various discounts on things like equipment and probably spent less than that on meals but even so it’s not far off the number HYUFD quoted when you include
    everything, and that was a fairly basic independently booked holiday using the tunnel and car.

For a family during school holidays (so the most expensive ski holiday) go to somewhere where you can get a train to the resort (so not France). Cheap Ryanair flight then train will be much less. Go in Whitsun to a glacier much less. Agree I wouldn't spend that much on meals with the family so no eating out in the resorts or the slopes. Cram into the apartment using the living room which normally convert to a bedroom.

Admittedly I have only done this when going with my family and in the early years. Once I could afford it I would go for chalets and never in school holidays so much more upmarket but not the school holiday premium and obviously I would take full advantage of the restaurants or bars (no pack lunches if no kids).
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,002
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

moonshine said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

I think the issues go back a little further than that. AIUI Camilla was one of his first loves (or first 'proper' love), and according to some reports he was forbidden from marrying her / kept away from her. And Camilla herself was somewhat forced into her first marriage - their parents released the engagement notice to the papers, forcing her first husband to propose.

The whole thing is a mess - but the fact Camilla and Charles have been deep friends for fifty years says that it is more complex than a simple 'affair'.
  • Options

Kevin McCarthy = 216 = elected
    Hakeem Jeffries = 212
    Present = 6 all Republicans
    votes cast = 428

"Therefore, the Honorable Kevin McCarthy of the State of California, having received a majority of the votes cast, is duly elected Speaker of the House of Representatives."

Finally, however the Trumpites have clearly shown they will block any legislation he proposes which is not acceptable to them
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Eabhal said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

All welcome. Leave your tanks at home, please. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-64176020

b) It is cold
    c) The runs are rubbish.
    I'm mad.

Doesn't look that great on the plateau at Glencoe this morning:
    http://winterhighland.com/cams/glencoe/access2200.jpeg?t=1673084456

To be fair, I have skied in Scotland, both on piste, off piste (a couple of Munros) and cross country (Glenmore & Clashindarroch). Its fine if you pick the right day, but you can't just pick a date in advance.

It is actually best in spring when the conditions are less variable and there isn't as much scratchy ice lurking round the corner.
    It certainly has it's good years and bad years but much better than no skiing I presume as opposed to the snotty barsteward earlier, where it was too common for him and where the idiot made out it was harder to get there than the other side of Europe.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

dixiedean said:

I’ve spent a lot of time around soldiers and others who get their hands dirty. I can only report on my personal experience. Military folk are all aware that it’s people like them on the other end of the gun. There but for the grace of God and all that jazz
  • Options
    TimS said:

Tunnel £200 return
    Motorway tolls £160
    Ski passes £500
    Equipment hire £250
    Kids Lessons £300
    Food and drink £700

Indeed, the only sport posher than skiing is polo
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,259
    edited January 2023
    TimS said:

ydoethur said:

And the wind is mainly in the South. I’ve noticed it’s often disappointingly low when it’s windy down here but calm in Scotland for the onshore turbines and in the Irish Sea. Looks like we’ll be back around 29gw by early afternoon.

And probably breaking the all time record this evening, when demand is also high.
    Forecast given at BM Reports is for just under 19 GW at peak.

https://www.bmreports.com/bmrs/?q=generation/windforcast/out-turn

Are you looking at a different source of data (and is it better?)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TimS said:

Tunnel £200 return
    Motorway tolls £160
    Ski passes £500
    Equipment hire £250
    Kids Lessons £300
    Food and drink £700

Just out of interest have you ever been skiing or are you talking out of your arse?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,674
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Who, James or Wings?
    Wings

Mind you Wings comeback both on Twitter and in general has eth SNP wallahs apoplectic. He raised more money in the first hour than the SNP got in a year. For all his ranting he does get the real facts down and that is the last thing the SNP want in public. Their latest wheeze to make it a crime if you even think about someone's gender is absolutely unbelieveable.
    There’s worse to come:

THREAD WARNING - SCOTLAND:

Not content with undermining child welfare and women’s rights by introducing ‘self-ID’, Scotland now seeks to cause greater harm by banning ‘conversion practices’. Here are key concerns following their ‘Expert Advisory Group’ recommendations. (1/9)

https://twitter.com/JamesEsses/status/1611087123410477082

Of note “affirmative care” (sic) is not a “Conversion Practice”, despite the warnings set out in the Interim Cass Review.

• Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,886
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Eabhal said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

b) It is cold
    c) The runs are rubbish.
    I'm mad.

To be fair, I have skied in Scotland, both on piste, off piste (a couple of Munros) and cross country (Glenmore & Clashindarroch). Its fine if you pick the right day, but you can't just pick a date in advance.

It is actually best in spring when the conditions are less variable and there isn't as much scratchy ice lurking round the corner.
    It certainly has it's good years and bad years but much better than no skiing I presume as opposed to the snotty barsteward earlier, where it was too common for him and where the idiot made out it was harder to get there than the other side of Europe.
    There's certainly no need to be snotty about it if you take it for what it is. I tend to use cross country skis more now but Glenshee is good fun with full cover and I'd rather have a pie in the cafe there than swan about some poncy Swiss resort.

The way Cairngorm has been run is a bit of a disgrace though. I would put the saga with the funicular in the same category as those Calmac ferries.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999

Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

dixiedean said:

What the fuck is a 'real' soldier?
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,905
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Eabhal said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

b) It is cold
    c) The runs are rubbish.
    I'm mad.

You're misinterpreting my post. I agree with both of you.

The difference is that I've risked it on some of the bad days too! Never been to Europe for it; friend there at the moment has no snow at all.
  • Options
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

Tunnel £200 return
    Motorway tolls £160
    Ski passes £500
    Equipment hire £250
    Kids Lessons £300
    Food and drink £700

Just out of interest have you ever been skiing or are you talking out of your arse?
    Dry slope skiing which is a bit more accessible thank Klosters
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Eabhal said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

b) It is cold
    c) The runs are rubbish.
    I'm mad.

There's certainly no need to be snotty about it if you take it for what it is. I tend to use cross country skis more now but Glenshee is good fun with full cover and I'd rather have a pie in the cafe there than swan about some poncy Swiss resort.

The way Cairngorm has been run is a bit of a disgrace though. I would put the saga with the funicular in the same category as those Calmac ferries.
    Yes have to agree, a shambles.
  • Options

TimS said:

ydoethur said:

Forecast given at BM Reports is for just under 19 GW at peak.

https://www.bmreports.com/bmrs/?q=generation/windforcast/out-turn

Are you looking at a different source of data (and is it better?)
    No, typo! I meant 20gw
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

dixiedean said:

Yes and how does poster know it was "dehumanised", no expert or ever been a soldier but I suspect firing machine guns and missiles from a helicopter is not teh same as close up hand to hand combat where you are looking in your opponent's eyes etc.
    It may well give him nightmares.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,194

Cookie said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

moonshine said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

You may be wearing "Rose" tinted spectacles!
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

Tunnel £200 return
    Motorway tolls £160
    Ski passes £500
    Equipment hire £250
    Kids Lessons £300
    Food and drink £700

Dry slope skiing which is a bit more accessible thank Klosters
    So you don't know what you are talking about then. I have been on over 100 skiing holidays all over Europe (I don't have any knowledge of the USA) in my time so I do rather know more about it than you. For over 40 years I have skied twice a year every year and sometimes 3 times a year so I might just know a little more than you on who goes skiing and how to do it on the cheap if you want to.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Prince Harry really is the son of King Charles III.

Prince Harry is acting with the same loyalty to his family as King Charles gave to his first wife.

I have a lot of sympathy for Harry. I’m in my mid 40s and I know I’ll be in bits when my mother dies, he had to go through that trauma before he turned 13.

That is my big fear, too. Both my parents are now in their eighties. You have my sympathy.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Eabhal said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

b) It is cold
    c) The runs are rubbish.
    I'm mad.

The difference is that I've risked it on some of the bad days too! Never been to Europe for it; friend there at the moment has no snow at all.
    Yes , you inadvertently backed up the derision from KJH , your usual southern PB rich snob about how shit Scotland is, about how it was not as great as St Moritz or Klosters and other crap about being at the arse end of the world, cold , etc.
    If it had been Surrey he would have been waxing lyrically about how spectacular it was.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TimS said:

Tunnel £200 return
    Motorway tolls £160
    Ski passes £500
    Equipment hire £250
    Kids Lessons £300
    Food and drink £700

Dressage, or Strictly for Horses.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,238
    This thread has

been elected Speaker

• Options
    edited January 2023
    malcolmg said:

Eabhal said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Eabhal said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

b) It is cold
    c) The runs are rubbish.
    I'm mad.

Yes , you inadvertently backed up the derision from KJH , your usual southern PB rich snob about how shit Scotland is, about how it was not as great as St Moritz or Klosters and other crap about being at the arse end of the world, cold , etc.
    If it had been Surrey he would have been waxing lyrically about how spectacular it was.
    It wasn't derision, it was just a joke Malcolm. If I lived in Scotland I would be skiing there. All I have is Boxhill, which admittedly it was possible to ski down once (amazing how a steep hill just becomes a tame green when it has snow on it). As you know my wife is Scottish (and not posh, but from that posh end of Scotland called Kirkcaldy). However it is a joke about Scottish resorts that you can only get to them when there is no snow and you have to admit they are not extensive and it is cold and that is a joke told by the Scots themselves.

I know you have a sense of humour Malcolm so I know you can tell the difference between a joke and when someone is being serious.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,630

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

dixiedean said:

I’ve spent a lot of time around soldiers and others who get their hands dirty. I can only report on my personal experience. Military folk are all aware that it’s people like them on the other end of the gun. There but for the grace of God and all that jazz
    Of course they are, but as in my job you do need to have a certain emotional distance in order to do the job. Sticking needles, knives and lines in people does require a certain detachment.

The trick is to be able to switch in and out of that mode at appropriate times. Some people struggle to do so, and remain detached when they need to be empathetic, or overly empathetic to the point of not being able to do the necessary.

Soldiers have similar difficulties, and not all get the mix right. With the increasingly accurate portrait of was in FPS games, and the increased use of electronic and remote systems of warfare, such as drones and night vision amplification, the two become increasingly difficult to distinguish.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990

Cookie said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

moonshine said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

You may be wearing "Rose" tinted spectacles!
    Was that before or after they were married? Or was it while they were both at university?
    I suspect that what happens at university should stay at university!
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,462
    edited January 2023
    All this tawdry Harry episode is showing is that he has very deep seated emotional issues that seem to mostly derive (understandably) out of the death of his mother when he was young and a feeling of inadequacy for most of his life being brought up in a system that will always show preference to his brother over him.

I am not inclined to believe that a rational actor would behave quite so ridiculously as he is doing. For one thing having such a downer on people leaking stories and invading his privacy, but then breaching the privacy of his father, stepmother, brother, and sister in law in such a brazen and bitchy manner. He has been cruel.

With the right support by his side maybe he could have worked through these things in private. The lifestyle he has chosen though is the glitz and glamor of Hollywood and that in itself is another fake and superficial environment where he won’t get the support.

I end up just finding the whole thing rather sad.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

dixiedean said:

How many service men and women who you know would have referred to enemy combatants as pawns to be removed from the chessboard?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999

Dura_Ace said:

Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

dixiedean said:

How many service men and women who you know would have referred to enemy combatants as pawns to be removed from the chessboard?
    A lot and much worse.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
  • Options
    kjh said:

malcolmg said:

Eabhal said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Eabhal said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

b) It is cold
    c) The runs are rubbish.
    I'm mad.

It wasn't derision, it was just a joke Malcolm. If I lived in Scotland I would be skiing there. All I have is Boxhill, which admittedly it was possible to ski down once (amazing how a steep hill just becomes a tame green when it has snow on it). As you know my wife is Scottish (and not posh, but from that posh end of Scotland called Kirkcaldy). However it is a joke about Scottish resorts that you can only get to them when there is no snow and you have to admit they are not extensive and it is cold and that is a joke told by the Scots themselves.

I know you have a sense of humour Malcolm so I know you can tell the difference between a joke and when someone is being serious.
    @KJH I know I was just having fun as well, I know you are ok. I was perhaps a bit too serious sounding with my replies. My humblest apologies.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

kjh said:

malcolmg said:

Eabhal said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Eabhal said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

b) It is cold
    c) The runs are rubbish.
    I'm mad.

@KJH I know I was just having fun as well, I know you are ok. I was perhaps a bit too serious sounding with my replies. My humblest apologies.
    No apology necessary @malcolmg
This discussion has been closed.