Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Rishi should have touched on climate change – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Lots of waffle from Stamer.

Is devolution the main solution proposed?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,242
    edited January 2023
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

The UK’s dream of becoming a ‘science superpower’
    Ministers want to supercharge the £89bn life science industry. But it will take long-term thinking on investment, talent and infrastructure
    https://www.ft.com/content/a8b2c939-88da-45ca-a74e-9f49bb8c8c1c

It needs one thing as well: a willingness to fail. We're far too keen to only back certain winners, and in the process miss out on potential great wins. That does not mean we back 'stupid' things; just that we've got to be willing to take bigger risks for bigger pay-offs.
    You are going to have move a lot of civil servants - or at least their mindsets - to achieve that.
    Speaking of moving civil servants, how's that rocket for the DfE coming along @Malmesbury ?
    Just waiting to become unDictator first...

EDIT: the second POC - the manned landing by the entire of Parliament on Pluto - should not be ignored.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378
    edited January 2023
    Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Ministers want to supercharge the £89bn life science industry. But it will take long-term thinking on investment, talent and infrastructure

It needs one thing as well: a willingness to fail. We're far too keen to only back certain winners, and in the process miss out on potential great wins. That does not mean we back 'stupid' things; just that we've got to be willing to take bigger risks for bigger pay-offs.
    One example which springs to mind is First Light Fusion. high risk - but incredibly high return should it pay off.
    They are building a pilot plant in Canada, partly because of funding.
    Something happening at West Burton A along those lines I think.
    The research is being done in the UK at the moment, but some is also being done in Canada.
    At some point, they will need serious money to take it to the next stage, and the risk is that the whole effort goes abroad.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945
    ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

A Take Back Control Bill.

As Monica said?
    It might come to sticky end. Leaving a mess.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

As Monica said?
    While not a dressing the problem.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,066

Scott_xP said:

One thing i realised that watching Sunak taking questions at his event yesterday is how incredibly posh he is. Not an argument against him, but interesting.
    https://twitter.com/DAaronovitch/status/1610922828722839554

Like, duh. This is apparent the moment he opens his mouth! (not saying this is a good or bad thing of course).
    It's a bit worse than that.

Dave was posh in a noblesse oblige way, Boris was posh in a roistering boisterous way- the sort of posh bloke who the plebs adore.

Rishi is more upper upper upper middle class. Lots of money but with a side order of cultural cringe. Jabs at the wealth of Dave and Boris pinged off them somehow, whereas it's different for the current PM
    It's interesting because you could probably make the same argument about Johnson being more from a middle class background. It's just that he created a kind of Bertie Wooster tribute act personality which, as you say, seems to have had a weird appeal to English working class people for reasons that somewhat elude me. Cameron is genuinely old money posh of course. Somehow Sunak's poshness works against him, which is how I always thought it would go.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

When I was young and stupid I tried talking to politicians.

I used to push the idea of DARPA for the U.K.

Various politicians told me that this was a great idea apart from needing to

1) Only fund winners
    2) Big projects only
    3) Had to be production ready, not research

So apart from completely the opposite of the DARPA, great idea.

It’s the same the other side of the Atlantic - but DARPA got entrenched before the politicians could “improve” it. Apparently, they still try.
    Military based - but has also spawned analogues in the US - like the energy version:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARPA-E
    Which received a boost in funding form Biden's big spending bill.

All small projects, all short terms for quick results for particular problems - and sits in the gap between science research and industry product development, for stuff which otherwise doesn't get funding.
    Indeed - but the problem is that the concept is antithetical to how government operates.

Which is why, when a NASA study detailed that using the traditional methodology for designing and building launch vehicles was 3-10x* more expensive than an alternative method.... Congress *mandated* that the method used should be more like the traditional methods.

*Space experts laughed long and hard at the idea that NASA & BigAerospace could get within 3x of the cost. 20x maybe....
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

One thing i realised that watching Sunak taking questions at his event yesterday is how incredibly posh he is. Not an argument against him, but interesting.
    https://twitter.com/DAaronovitch/status/1610922828722839554

Like, duh. This is apparent the moment he opens his mouth! (not saying this is a good or bad thing of course).
    It's a bit worse than that.

Dave was posh in a noblesse oblige way, Boris was posh in a roistering boisterous way- the sort of posh bloke who the plebs adore.

Rishi is more upper upper upper middle class. Lots of money but with a side order of cultural cringe. Jabs at the wealth of Dave and Boris pinged off them somehow, whereas it's different for the current PM
    It's interesting because you could probably make the same argument about Johnson being more from a middle class background. It's just that he created a kind of Bertie Wooster tribute act personality which, as you say, seems to have had a weird appeal to English working class people for reasons that somewhat elude me. Cameron is genuinely old money posh of course. Somehow Sunak's poshness works against him, which is how I always thought it would go.
    He makes them laugh.

A bit like Jessica's otherwise inexplicable infatuation for Roger Rabbit.

And to be fair, if he had stuck to comedy rather than trying politics he probably still would be enormously popular. He is a far better stand up and improv comedian than most of the professionals who make good money from it.

He's just epically shit at actually running things.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,917
    ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

Splendid cartoon in todays guardian

That *may* have been a good cartoon if innumeracy wasn't a massive problem. Governments can - and should - be able to address multiple issues at once.
    Since there are few details on either plan, and the few regarding the maths one look bad on their face, the cartoon seems more successful than the speech.
    I disagree. No-one ever effing well talks about innumeracy, and it is a massive drag on the country and on the people who have been let down by their parents and the schools system. It is a national disgrace, and at least it's being talked about...
    It's certainly a significant issue, but the idea that Sunak has floated seems sheer fantasy, and isn't going to address it.

And note while there has been some increase in school funding, there's been none at all for 6th forms and FE colleges, which are the ones supposed to deliver it.

It's just nonsense.
    It appears quite similar in concept to the legal duties the Tories placed on Local Authorities, at the same time as they steadily reduced the funding available to them.

(& FWIW, we talk about education quite a bit on this board. Some of us even make positive suggestions from time to time.)
    "It's a significant issue"

It's a fucking significant issue that's been routinely ignored and downgraded, even on here, because it's difficult to tackle and easy to push onto the 'ignore' pile. The 'nonsense' is the idea that somehow if we ignore it, it will automagically get fixed.

And why does it get ignored? Perhaps IMV because the movers and shakers, the people who decide things, whether they are from the local comp or Eton, are all literate and numerate. All the regular posters on here will be. We can all suffer illness or disability; be struck down with a stroke or cancer. Therefore these issues matter to us. But we will never be illiterate or innumerate in the way kids let down in childhood are.

I'm the only person who mentions functional innumeracy and illiteracy on here, and have for a decade. It routinely gets yawns and talks of more 'interesting' topics. Yet it is vital. The educational 'talk' on here is routinely about the top-end, GCSE ad A-level results; grammar schools etc. IMO that's not where the problems are.
    The fact that he's talking about solving innumeracy by getting people to study 'mathematics' until the age of 18 suggests he doesn't have much of a clue!
    It all depends on the details, doesn't it? If it's talking about remedial maths etc, then brilliant. If it's getting people who have got the basics to learn more complex maths that is useful in everyday life, then good (although pressures on the curriculum and finance are obvious issues).

I'd also like to see adult literacy and numeracy projects given much more funding and encouragement. It's not just a case of fixing it in the next generation; it's a case of fixing it for all those that have failed, and been failed. e.g. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/multiply-funding-available-to-improve-numeracy-skills

There's zero point in raising the school leaving age from 16 to 18 if kids are still leaving school without basic skills, is it?
    But again, we keep coming back to, wouldn't it be more useful to ask why they're not getting it by age 16 after 11-12 years of hard work, rather than assuming more of the same will fix it?
    It would. But are you claiming we would always be able to catch everyone by age 16? What age do you recommend we abandon kids who have not yet learnt the proper skills? 11? 13? 16?

It's an incredibly complex issue, made more so by the fact that home lives play just as important a role (perhaps more so) than schooling. Which is another reason for adult literacy and numeracy campaigns to be more prominent as well.

I don't know what the answers are. But I know not talking about the problem, or just chucking it onto the 'too hard' pile, is not a solution. Not that I'm accusing you of that.
  • Options
    glw said:

Nigelb said:

1) Only fund winners
    2) Big projects only

It’s the same the other side of the Atlantic - but DARPA got entrenched before the politicians could “improve” it. Apparently, they still try.
    It's impossible to do this in the UK, the idea that say 90% of the money spent on R&D will lead to nothing would kill it stone dead. We live in a country where people whine about money wasted on PPE, and in many cases are the very same people who screeched about getting PPE at any cost. It will only be a matter of time before we see complaints about money spent on vaccines that we never chose to use.

On PPE - the responses to my idea of non-disposable PPE have been, it's not how we do things, difficult etc.

Yet in a number of industries, non-disposable Personal Protective Equipment is routinely used, considered to be the high quality option etc.

The pervious issues with cleaning vs wear have been dealt with by advances in cleaning chemical materials. And even by making electronics so waterproof they can just be dumped in cleaning solutions.

If we get a truly airborne virus next time, the collection of odds and ends, full of gaps and hard to get on or off, that we give the medics now, will fail.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

1) Only fund winners
    2) Big projects only

Military based - but has also spawned analogues in the US - like the energy version:

All small projects, all short terms for quick results for particular problems - and sits in the gap between science research and industry product development, for stuff which otherwise doesn't get funding.
    Indeed - but the problem is that the concept is antithetical to how government operates.

Which is why, when a NASA study detailed that using the traditional methodology for designing and building launch vehicles was 3-10x* more expensive than an alternative method.... Congress *mandated* that the method used should be more like the traditional methods.

*Space experts laughed long and hard at the idea that NASA & BigAerospace could get within 3x of the cost. 20x maybe....
    We have separate research bodies outside of government, though.

There's absolutely no reason we couldn't do DARPA / ARPA-E analogues.
    What they do is contract out relatively small, very focused research projects to both universities and the private sector. It creates an industrial research base which isn't directly dependent on getting products to the market - but is aimed at high risk problems directly related to potentially marketable products.

In that context, failures are accepted along with the successes, and everyone benefits.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,847

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

1) Only fund winners
    2) Big projects only

Meanwhile, a relatatively tiny start-up was mastering re-usability, and getting the launch cost down to under $3,000/kg to LEO.

As the SLS project spent $20bn, in all 48 contiguous States of course, turning re-usable rocket engines into disposable ones.

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/the-cost-of-space-flight/
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

That *may* have been a good cartoon if innumeracy wasn't a massive problem. Governments can - and should - be able to address multiple issues at once.
    Since there are few details on either plan, and the few regarding the maths one look bad on their face, the cartoon seems more successful than the speech.
    I disagree. No-one ever effing well talks about innumeracy, and it is a massive drag on the country and on the people who have been let down by their parents and the schools system. It is a national disgrace, and at least it's being talked about...
    It's certainly a significant issue, but the idea that Sunak has floated seems sheer fantasy, and isn't going to address it.

And note while there has been some increase in school funding, there's been none at all for 6th forms and FE colleges, which are the ones supposed to deliver it.

It's just nonsense.
    It appears quite similar in concept to the legal duties the Tories placed on Local Authorities, at the same time as they steadily reduced the funding available to them.

(& FWIW, we talk about education quite a bit on this board. Some of us even make positive suggestions from time to time.)

It's a fucking significant issue that's been routinely ignored and downgraded, even on here, because it's difficult to tackle and easy to push onto the 'ignore' pile. The 'nonsense' is the idea that somehow if we ignore it, it will automagically get fixed.

And why does it get ignored? Perhaps IMV because the movers and shakers, the people who decide things, whether they are from the local comp or Eton, are all literate and numerate. All the regular posters on here will be. We can all suffer illness or disability; be struck down with a stroke or cancer. Therefore these issues matter to us. But we will never be illiterate or innumerate in the way kids let down in childhood are.

I'm the only person who mentions functional innumeracy and illiteracy on here, and have for a decade. It routinely gets yawns and talks of more 'interesting' topics. Yet it is vital. The educational 'talk' on here is routinely about the top-end, GCSE ad A-level results; grammar schools etc. IMO that's not where the problems are.
    The fact that he's talking about solving innumeracy by getting people to study 'mathematics' until the age of 18 suggests he doesn't have much of a clue!
    It all depends on the details, doesn't it? If it's talking about remedial maths etc, then brilliant. If it's getting people who have got the basics to learn more complex maths that is useful in everyday life, then good (although pressures on the curriculum and finance are obvious issues).

I'd also like to see adult literacy and numeracy projects given much more funding and encouragement. It's not just a case of fixing it in the next generation; it's a case of fixing it for all those that have failed, and been failed. e.g. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/multiply-funding-available-to-improve-numeracy-skills

There's zero point in raising the school leaving age from 16 to 18 if kids are still leaving school without basic skills, is it?
    But again, we keep coming back to, wouldn't it be more useful to ask why they're not getting it by age 16 after 11-12 years of hard work, rather than assuming more of the same will fix it?
    It would. But are you claiming we would always be able to catch everyone by age 16? What age do you recommend we abandon kids who have not yet learnt the proper skills? 11? 13? 16?

It's an incredibly complex issue, made more so by the fact that home lives play just as important a role (perhaps more so) than schooling. Which is another reason for adult literacy and numeracy campaigns to be more prominent as well.

I don't know what the answers are. But I know not talking about the problem, or just chucking it onto the 'too hard' pile, is not a solution. Not that I'm accusing you of that.
    I think my point is rather, if after 12 years they are not getting it two additional years of more of the same is unlikely to make a difference either.

Instead, we should be considering what might help them better at an earlier stage.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,865
    Nigelb said:

What they do is contract out relatively small, very focused research projects to both universities and the private sector. It creates an industrial research base which isn't directly dependent on getting products to the market - but is aimed at high risk problems directly related to potentially marketable products.

In that context, failures are accepted along with the successes, and everyone benefits.

The DARPA model is Government pays for the research and private companies reap the rewards.

Maybe not a bad thing in the round, but a tough sell for the politicians collecting the taxes to pay for it.

Xerox PARC generated billions of dollars for companies that were not Xerox...
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

1) Only fund winners
    2) Big projects only

Meanwhile, a relatatively tiny start-up was mastering re-usability, and getting the launch cost down to under $3,000/kg to LEO...
    That does leave out the fact that Musk was able to use the expertise created by billions of prior government spending to do what he did.

• Options
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

1) Only fund winners
    2) Big projects only

Meanwhile, a relatatively tiny start-up was mastering re-usability, and getting the launch cost down to under $3,000/kg to LEO.

As the SLS project spent $20bn, in all 48 contiguous States of course, turning re-usable rocket engines into disposable ones.

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/the-cost-of-space-flight/
    The NASA study was hypothetical NASA F9 vs SpaceX F9

It was Tom Mueller who pointed out that the Merlin rocket engine had *less * versions (about 20 distinct phases) to get to the development "plateau" that RR got to with the Merlin aircraft engine (the 60 series).

The idea that you can design the perfect solution, fund it, build the factory and roll a bunch of finished products out, without hardware iterations, is demonstrably false.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,130
    Pulpstar said:

SandraMc said:

Wills rips Harry's necklace and Harry falls on top of the dog bowl. So Harry calls his therapist. Yet it is claimed that Meghan was suicidal but she was denied psychiatric help.

Denied by whom?
    Phone queue full for a GP appointment.
    Nah - rich enough to go private.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

It's just nonsense.

I think my point is rather, if after 12 years they are not getting it two additional years of more of the same is unlikely to make a difference either.

Instead, we should be considering what might help them better at an earlier stage.
    Do both, of course. And into adulthood as well via literacy and numeracy courses.

Many years ago I listened to a scifi review podcast. I listened to a few episodes before I heard the host's backstory. He had not read a book until he was in his early twenties. He then met a girl who was into books, and he started to learn to read, and love reading. It seems he became rather obsessed.

Or I can mention one of my dad's workmen, a wonderful ex-jailbird. If I recall correctly, he learnt to read in prison, and it changed his life. We used to talk about Tom Clancy books whilst working. I think he went on to marry a teacher.

Learning simple skills such as reading, writing and maths can change adult lives.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    edited January 2023

Scott_xP said:

The prime minister’s first speech of the year ended up pleasing nobody, says @ThereseRaphael1 https://trib.al/r8xkFXC via @opinion

I think this is wrong. Sunak's speech was effective in showing that he understood what is worrying people, and that's half the battle. The first poll after the speech will be interesting and should show the scope that the Conservatives have in recovering lost ground - especially the ex-Tory "don't knows".
    No. The first poll after the speech will be on ’bring and buy sale’ of ambulances waiting outside hospitals, not the vapid speech.

Labour should borrow an old poster, turn the queue of people into ambulances with tag line “Tory’s are not working”

Labour and Lib Dems should focus their attack on fall in incomes - with the Tories painting themselves as tough on pay rises, they can easily own the fall in incomes for everyone as a deliberate Tory policy, in much the same way Marie Antoinette owned “let them eat cake”. Sunak’s big mistake doing hardline union bashing not negotiating and settling, will now haunt the Tories for generations and election after election.
  • Options
    Been following the numeracy debate with interest and thank you to @JosiasJessop for pointing out that the most severe problem in education today is the lack of progress made by less able pupils on literacy and numeracy. It’s not, as @HYUFD would claim a lack of grammar school places for high ability, working class pupils.

At the non-selective secondary school where I am a Governor, we see a sharp decline in literacy skills among pupils starting in year seven. Unlike numeracy, this has an impact across the whole curriculum: pupils struggle to access subject texts, find written work difficult, suffer worse behaviour and teachers, especially those less experienced, are stretched to manage widening ability gaps and the poorer behaviour.

The root causes for the poor literacy are, of course, arguable. The two thought to be likely are the loss of learning during the pandemic, which should be temporary, and the way in which English is now taught in primary schools. It’s the latter that should, as a matter of priority, be “reimagined”.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,853
    The guardrails are off ChatGPT this morning. Without that much coaxing, I got it to write ridiculous Woke opinion pieces and outrageous riffs on the Holocaust. Normally the first is tough and the second impossible

Does anyone else notice this? ChatGPT is volatile, and tho the tendency is to MORE censorship, sometimes it goes the other way
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Nigelb said:

The DARPA model is Government pays for the research and private companies reap the rewards.

Maybe not a bad thing in the round, but a tough sell for the politicians collecting the taxes to pay for it.

Xerox PARC generated billions of dollars for companies that were not Xerox...
    Government has always funded research.
    It's shouldn't be a tough sell, since the amounts involved in any given project are pretty small, and the fail-fast model of DARPA means it's also a very effective way of funding product directed research, which gets quick results, without blowing vast amounts of money.

Far more efficient than (eg) the broad brush tax incentives that Rishi has played with.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347

Part of Labour's plan, Starmer says, is to give communities a chance to control their economic destiny.

How will Labour do that which is any different to what happens now?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,573
    eek said:

A question for @TSE

https://twitter.com/garius/status/1610939574590603266

John Bull
    @garius
    ·
    16s
    Replying to
    @garius
    QUESTION FOR THE EXPERTS: If the French back a Harry-led invasion and seizure of the crown, then he reasserts his right to the French throne, reverse invades and restores the French monarchy in a personal union with the British one...

...does that get us back into the EU?

Wouldn't just be easier for us to declare war on the French, immediately surrender and then capitulate completely in the surrender negotiations. That surely gets us back into the EU.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,504
    Leon said:

The guardrails are off ChatGPT this morning. Without that much coaxing, I got it to write ridiculous Woke opinion pieces and outrageous riffs on the Holocaust. Normally the first is tough and the second impossible

Does anyone else notice this? ChatGPT is volatile, and tho the tendency is to MORE censorship, sometimes it goes the other way

It was annoyingly cagey yesterday. Not on naughty opinions but on its abilities to say anything about statistical trends in demographics and taxation. Even when I pointed it to world bank, OECD and UN data it wasn't having any of it. Kept saying it only has data up to 2021 and I kept reminding it I didn't need anything more recent.

Am I guilty of anthropomorphosing AI when I get the sense it becomes stubborn when repeatedly asked to do something it doesn't want to do whereas if I'd asked differently in the first place it would happily have obliged? That's been a regular experience. Once it says no, the AI's not for turning unless you really go round the houses.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,437
    SKS seems to think the solution to the NHS crisis is simply to recruit more doctors and nurses (where? how?)

Yes that’s part of the problem but he’s not hit on the crux of the issue. The whole edifice is creaking and groaning and is collapsing under the strain. More hands to the pump will help, but without fundamental reform things aren’t going to get measurably better.
  • Options

Been following the numeracy debate with interest and thank you to @JosiasJessop for pointing out that the most severe problem in education today is the lack of progress made by less able pupils on literacy and numeracy. It’s not, as @HYUFD would claim a lack of grammar school places for high ability, working class pupils.

At the non-selective secondary school where I am a Governor, we see a sharp decline in literacy skills among pupils starting in year seven. Unlike numeracy, this has an impact across the whole curriculum: pupils struggle to access subject texts, find written work difficult, suffer worse behaviour and teachers, especially those less experienced, are stretched to manage widening ability gaps and the poorer behaviour.

The root causes for the poor literacy are, of course, arguable. The two thought to be likely are the loss of learning during the pandemic, which should be temporary, and the way in which English is now taught in primary schools. It’s the latter that should, as a matter of priority, be “reimagined”.

Literacy teaching is really odd these days in primary school. They seem to do far less comprehension than before, yet they come home talking about fronted adverbials. Is this a Gove legacy?
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited January 2023

No. The first poll after the speech will be on ’bring and buy sale’ of ambulances waiting outside hospitals, not the vapid speech.

Labour should borrow an old poster, turn the queue of people into ambulances with tag line “Tory’s are not working”

SNIP

I imagine the Tories would point out that a lot of the worst cases are in Wales & health is devolved.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-64168805

I think a comparison between English, Scottish and Welsh ambulance wait times would most likely be to the SNP's advantage.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470
    "Italy, India and the bumpy road to cashless payment"

https://ustoday.news/italy-india-and-the-bumpy-road-to-cashless-payment/
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,398
    HYUFD said:

SandraMc said:

Wills rips Harry's necklace and Harry falls on top of the dog bowl. So Harry calls his therapist. Yet it is claimed that Meghan was suicidal but she was denied psychiatric help.

Logical inconsistincies throughout, trashing his own brother for publicity and cash. After the coronation Charles should formally cut them both off, formally remove their HRHs and just leave it to working royals
    "cut them both off"? I hope you're not referring to Harry's crown jewels? :open_mouth:

HRHs referring to "hideously republican heads", too, I take it?
  • Options
    edited January 2023

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

It's just nonsense.

Do both, of course. And into adulthood as well via literacy and numeracy courses.

Many years ago I listened to a scifi review podcast. I listened to a few episodes before I heard the host's backstory. He had not read a book until he was in his early twenties. He then met a girl who was into books, and he started to learn to read, and love reading. It seems he became rather obsessed.

Or I can mention one of my dad's workmen, a wonderful ex-jailbird. If I recall correctly, he learnt to read in prison, and it changed his life. We used to talk about Tom Clancy books whilst working. I think he went on to marry a teacher.

Learning simple skills such as reading, writing and maths can change adult lives.
    I agree. Indeed I said as much yesterday.

But this strikes me as a classic example of Politicians' Logic.

Edit - I would add no serious inquest will be undertaken into the current systemic failures because they are largely the fault of people still at the top of government including in the DfE itself. Which doesn't bode well in itself for any further changes.
  • Options

Part of Labour's plan, Starmer says, is to give communities a chance to control their economic destiny.

This is at least partly a Lisa Nandy project. She really believes in it but is being held back a little from the really radical stuff like fiscal devolution by others on the front benches.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

1) Only fund winners
    2) Big projects only

Success is mandatory on government projects. I was told this by high flyer* at the Cabinet Office.

He said this with a completely straight face, as well.

*Not a low flyer sustained by occasional gusts of wind.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    TimS said:

Literacy teaching is really odd these days in primary school. They seem to do far less comprehension than before, yet they come home talking about fronted adverbials. Is this a Gove legacy?
    Reading comprehension is what has taken a noticeable dive.
    Not reading itself. But the ability to infer meaning from the text which isn't made absolutely explicit.
    I have a little theory it comes from Youtube watching during lockdown.
    It seems to be Year 8 and below.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

1) Only fund winners
    2) Big projects only

Success is mandatory on government projects. I was told this by high flyer* at the Cabinet Office.

He said this with a completely straight face, as well.

*Not a low flyer sustained by occasional gusts of wind.
    When you say he was 'high,' was it his own supply or somebody else's?
  • Options

SKS seems to think the solution to the NHS crisis is simply to recruit more doctors and nurses (where? how?)

Yes that’s part of the problem but he’s not hit on the crux of the issue. The whole edifice is creaking and groaning and is collapsing under the strain. More hands to the pump will help, but without fundamental reform things aren’t going to get measurably better.

I think more hands to the pump is a prerequisite to give the breathing space for reform. As commentators on Russia's cack-handed mobilisation said, while quality is better than quantity, there is nevertheless a quality in quantity.
  • Options
    kjh said:

eek said:

A question for @TSE

John Bull
    @garius
    ·
    16s
    Replying to
    @garius
    QUESTION FOR THE EXPERTS: If the French back a Harry-led invasion and seizure of the crown, then he reasserts his right to the French throne, reverse invades and restores the French monarchy in a personal union with the British one...

Wouldn't just be easier for us to declare war on the French, immediately surrender and then capitulate completely in the surrender negotiations. That surely gets us back into the EU.
    That sounds like the Tory membership voting for whoever wasn’t Rishi Sunak, yet still ending up with him in charge.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

As I understand it the size of the pipe isn't as big of a problem as the blockage at the far end of the pipe. Though we could do probably do with more of our current GPs working full time, or at least a bit more of the time.
  • Options
    Decent speech from Keir I thought, not his best.
  • Options
    kjh said:

eek said:

A question for @TSE

John Bull
    @garius
    ·
    16s
    Replying to
    @garius

What about just conquering France (failed state due to the treatment of migrants plus they have oil) and merging it back into the Angevin Empire?
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

Wow, that bad?
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,098

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

It's just nonsense.

It just sounds like very woolly thinking, along the lines of "There is a numeracy problem, so make everyone study maths until 18". Why make anyone study anything until 18, if they have already achieved sufficient competence for everyday life and want to study other things?

And the stuff about every job being "underpinned" by statistics - if it's meant to be relevant to what every worker needs to understand - only makes me wonder what he knows about statistics and/or the jobs of ordinary people
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,929

Nigelb said:

1) Only fund winners
    2) Big projects only

So, they’d like to fund something that’s /not/ DARPA by ignoring everything that makes DARPA work?

Sometimes, finding a way to insulate politicians from their own worst instincts is the only way to make progress.
  • Options
    TimS said:

This is at least partly a Lisa Nandy project. She really believes in it but is being held back a little from the really radical stuff like fiscal devolution by others on the front benches.
    So will it involve Council's operating like small Countries setting their own tax and spend policies on everything?
  • Options
    kjh said:

eek said:

A question for @TSE

John Bull
    @garius
    ·
    16s
    Replying to
    @garius

I don't think we could capitulate completely. We'd have to demand, as a condition of surrender, that the UK be absorbed into France and become part of the EU. Otherwise, if we surrendered unconditonally, the French might just tell us to piss off and not try any funny business again.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

He has a lot to learn in getting media attention.

Corbyn grabbed me by the collar, ripped my necklace and I landed in the dog bowl which cracked under my back, the pieces cutting into me. I lay there for a moment, dazed, then got to my feet and told him to get out of the Labour party.

That is how it is done.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,865
    The next Labour government will give communities control of their own future.

Our Take Back Control Bill will provide powers in areas such as employment, transport, housing, climate change, childcare provision, and skills.

https://twitter.com/UKLabour/status/1610952842721869824/photo/1
  • Options
    Phil said:

Nigelb said:

1) Only fund winners
    2) Big projects only

So, they’d like to fund something that’s /not/ DARPA by ignoring everything that makes DARPA work?

Sometimes, finding a way to insulate politicians from their own worst instincts is the only way to make progress.
    What did you expect?

As Diane Feinstein put it - the problem with projects run like that is that "my staff doesn't get enough paperwork on what is going on".

AKA the politicians don't get to fiddle with it.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,853
    TimS said:

Leon said:

It was annoyingly cagey yesterday. Not on naughty opinions but on its abilities to say anything about statistical trends in demographics and taxation. Even when I pointed it to world bank, OECD and UN data it wasn't having any of it. Kept saying it only has data up to 2021 and I kept reminding it I didn't need anything more recent.

Am I guilty of anthropomorphosing AI when I get the sense it becomes stubborn when repeatedly asked to do something it doesn't want to do whereas if I'd asked differently in the first place it would happily have obliged? That's been a regular experience. Once it says no, the AI's not for turning unless you really go round the houses.
    Yes, same. It’s capricious. Seems to respond better if you’re polite. On some days it is borderline useless
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470
    "The German public’s traditionally high level of trust in its leaders has collapsed since the height of the pandemic, a poll suggests.

Confidence has dropped away in every level of administration, from the European Union to district councils, but the chancellery and the national government recorded by far the steepest declines over two years of geopolitical and economic upheaval." (£)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/german-public-trust-government-poll-leaders-olaf-scholz-2023-qlfqs0p72
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Our Take Back Control Bill will provide powers in areas such as employment, transport, housing, climate change, childcare provision, and skills.

So giving local Council's massive new powers? Is that a good idea?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-63455282

Will it really happen when electoral cycles mean that the oppositon party is often the dominant force in Local Government
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,929
    TimS said:

Yes, Gove et al meddled deeply in teaching english in primary school. No one anywhere needs to needs able to spot a “fronted adverbial” at ten paces, yet seven year olds are graded on their ability to do exactly that, amongst a litany of other pointless pieces of english grammar, some of which appears to have been entirely made up by Gove & his cronies.

This syntax & grammar-obssessed curriculum sucks any joy there might be out of the experience entirely, especially for the lower ability kids who can tell that they’re being taught something useless & resent being judged for not being able to master it.
  • Options

The answer to where and how was debated here yesterday. Labour will greatly increase the numbers of doctors and nurses trained. That is betting without making it easier for foreign-trained staff to work here. Fundamental reform is just a slogan.
  • Options
    Driver said:

As I understand it the size of the pipe isn't as big of a problem as the blockage at the far end of the pipe. Though we could do probably do with more of our current GPs working full time, or at least a bit more of the time.
    Expanding the training of doctors and nurses in the UK is a no-brainer.

We know from the performance of private vs state education that a signifiant number of state educated children are not boosted by their education into the A/A* group. So there is plenty of talent out there, being wasted.

To put it another way -

https://www.statista.com/statistics/473206/medical-graduates-in-the-united-kingdom-uk/

anyone want to claim that there are less than 9k people suitable to be a doctor, per year, in the UK?

So we have a need for people to work in high skilled jobs - a defined, preplanned, government controlled need, no less.

We have a large number of people who are failed by the current educational setup and go on to less skilled/paid jobs.

So it is good for

- The country - productivity, wealth etc.
    - The NHS
    - The people in question. Becoming a doctor gives you wealth, status and given the shortage of doctors world wide, a guaranteed job for life, probably.
    - The rest of the world. The shortage of doctors is worldwide. So, by expanding the number of medical staff we train, it reduces the worldwide pressures.
  • Options

The answer to where and how was debated here yesterday. Labour will greatly increase the numbers of doctors and nurses trained. That is betting without making it easier for foreign-trained staff to work here. Fundamental reform is just a slogan.
    I was told that training more medical staff was impossible a while back, because they would all leave the country and it was gammon, anyway.

Has this changed?
  • Options
    eek said:

A question for @TSE

John Bull
    @garius
    ·
    16s
    Replying to
    @garius

Yes.

Harry for King!
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,104
    edited January 2023
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

It's just nonsense.

It just sounds like very woolly thinking, along the lines of "There is a numeracy problem, so make everyone study maths until 18". Why make anyone study anything until 18, if they have already achieved sufficient competence for everyday life and want to study other things?

And the stuff about every job being "underpinned" by statistics - if it's meant to be relevant to what every worker needs to understand - only makes me wonder what he knows about statistics and/or the jobs of ordinary people
    From the government press release.

"..the UK remains one of the only countries in the world to not to require children to study some form of maths up to the age of 18. This includes the majority of OECD countries, including Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Finland, Japan, Norway and the USA."
    (Also Ireland)

What do you know that the majority of OECD countries don't, and where's your evidence that it is working well for Britain compared to everyone else?

What do you have against Maths that you think Britain should stop universal Maths education at a younger age than most other countries?

Sunak isn't exactly proposing anything particularly radical with an ambition to teach Maths to 18. The opposition to it is absurd.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

It's just nonsense.

And yet FE colleges have had their funding consistently cut in real terms under recent Conservative administrations.

It's not entirely their fault, as the DfE is also not fit for purpose, but their educational obsessions from Gove onwards have been at best a distraction from the problems which need addressing.
    (Very much like Brexit, and government in general.)
  • Options
    Phil said:

TimS said:

Yes, Gove et al meddled deeply in teaching english in primary school. No one anywhere needs to needs able to spot a “fronted adverbial” at ten paces, yet seven year olds are graded on their ability to do exactly that, amongst a litany of other pointless pieces of english grammar, some of which appears to have been entirely made up by Gove & his cronies.

This syntax & grammar-obssessed curriculum sucks any joy there might be out of the experience entirely, especially for the lower ability kids who can tell that they’re being taught something useless & resent being judged for not being able to master it.
    Gibb, as well as Gove. Who is still there.
  • Options

TimS said:

So will it involve Council's operating like small Countries setting their own tax and spend policies on everything?
    Unlikely councils, and almost certainly not on everything. Probably not anything as federalised as the Swiss or US model. But the German model provides a guide. They have federal corporate tax and then municipal trade tax, which is levied on a city / "borough" basis and varies a fair bit, and they have more variability in property taxes, generally between about 0.25% and 1% of value (so if your house is worth a million Euros you pay up to 10k in property tax a year). The municipalities - and regions - then get significantly more autonomy to make spending decisions.

The alternative is more focused fiscal devolution, i.e. giving a chosen levelling up type region the ability to set its own taxes, but that's closer to the Truss investment zone idea.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,244
    edited January 2023

I was told that training more medical staff was impossible a while back, because they would all leave the country and it was gammon, anyway.

Has this changed?
    Were you really told that? Really?

ETA actually you do make a good point. Junior hospital doctors are under a lot of stress for not much money so tend to leave the profession and/or the country, at least temporarily.
  • Options

Phil said:

Nigelb said:

1) Only fund winners
    2) Big projects only

What did you expect?

As Diane Feinstein put it - the problem with projects run like that is that "my staff doesn't get enough paperwork on what is going on".

In two years' time, Feinstein will be history.
    DARPA won't.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

It's just nonsense.

And yet FE colleges have had their funding consistently cut in real terms under recent Conservative administrations.

It's not entirely their fault, as the DfE is also not fit for purpose, but their educational obsessions from Gove onwards have been at best a distraction from the problems which need addressing.
    Cut is rather neutral. Decimated would be to undersell it.
    Adult education has been corralled into casualisation of the staff and sky high fees for the few punters left.
  • Options

Has this changed?
    Here on PB, the other day. By some of the people cheering on the announcement from the Labour party.

We have always been at war with Eastasia. The chocolate ration has been increased from 30 grams to 20 grams.
  • Options

Chris said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

It's just nonsense.

"..the UK remains one of the only countries in the world to not to require children to study some form of maths up to the age of 18. This includes the majority of OECD countries, including Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Finland, Japan, Norway and the USA."
    (Also Ireland)

What do you know that the majority of OECD countries don't, and where's your evidence that it is working well for Britain compared to everyone else?

What do you have against Maths that you think Britain should stop universal Maths education at a younger age than most other countries?

Sunak isn't exactly proposing anything particularly radical with an ambition to teach Maths to 18. The opposition to it is absurd.
    I suspect it's also true of compulsory science, humanities, foreign languages and literacy. The issue is wider than maths, it's our very specialised A Level and BTec model.

As a nation we need more education, to a higher level, probably for longer, in more subjects. Rishi is choosing maths specifically because he was good at it.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,066
    Phil said:

TimS said:

It's tragic what they've done to English teaching at school, completely ripping the joy out of the subject. It makes me quite angry actually when I compare my kids' experience of it to my own back in the 80s/90s. This really has been an absolutely ruinous period of Tory government, on so many levels.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Phil said:

Nigelb said:

1) Only fund winners
    2) Big projects only

What did you expect?

In two years' time, Feinstein will be history.
    DARPA won't.
    Yes, but the salami slicing of SAAs will continue until all contracts are safely back to FAR.

Because it is unfair that Boeing et al can't do fixed price/milestones.
  • Options

TimS said:

Yes, absolutely. Councils will raise all their own income, and not depend on central government apart from small development funds. Income tax will go down, and council tax will go up as a result. Councils will be incentivised to allow the building of build more property (=more income) and will compete with each other on service levels and tax rates.
  • Options

It is one piece of the jigsaw, I completely agree, but it is not going to be enough. It takes time to train people and put in place the incentives to do so. More hands is great, we also need more facilities, hospitals and beds. Are these all going to be funded through general taxation?
  • Options

Phil said:

TimS said:

It's tragic what they've done to English teaching at school, completely ripping the joy out of the subject. It makes me quite angry actually when I compare my kids' experience of it to my own back in the 80s/90s. This really has been an absolutely ruinous period of Tory government, on so many levels.
    Creative writing decimated too. Luckily our local school seems to value it so there's still a bit, but in my childhood I remember writing stories every week and it was my favourite school activity.
  • Options

Chris said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

It's just nonsense.

(Also Ireland)

Illiterate press release. "One of the only" is meaningless if it doesn't specify a number, This in This includes doesn't refer to anything, Includes...including is horrible.
  • Options

Has this changed?

ETA actually you do make a good point. Junior hospital doctors are under a lot of stress for not much money so tend to leave the profession and/or the country, at least temporarily.
    On the leaving the country/changing jobs thing - the massive stress on junior doctors used to be boasted of, in the profession. Perhaps if we *stop* the beatings, morale will improve.

The person making that point seemed to claim that 100% of any extra trained staff would leave. Which is absurd.

All training/careers have wastage. If nothing else, someone who has done a medical degree is highly employable in other professions.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

As Monica said?
    While not a dressing the problem.
    Trying to think of another pun to continue the chain. Nearly got one, but it doesn't quite work.

Close but no cigar, I suppose.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

TimS said:

Yes, absolutely. Councils will raise all their own income, and not depend on central government apart from small development funds. Income tax will go down, and council tax will go up as a result. Councils will be incentivised to allow the building of build more property (=more income) and will compete with each other on service levels and tax rates.
    I deal with Local Councils and Councillors regularly. Giving them this sort of power is a scary thought.
    Councillors will need to become full time and properly paid rather than just doing it for a hobby.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Phil said:

TimS said:

Creative writing decimated too. Luckily our local school seems to value it so there's still a bit, but in my childhood I remember writing stories every week and it was my favourite school activity.
    The kids much prefer maths these days.
    English is guaranteed a groan. They're more engaged by a page of sums.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,313
    edited January 2023
    Selebian said:

HYUFD said:

SandraMc said:

Logical inconsistincies throughout, trashing his own brother for publicity and cash. After the coronation Charles should formally cut them both off, formally remove their HRHs and just leave it to working royals
    "cut them both off"? I hope you're not referring to Harry's crown jewels? :open_mouth:

HRHs referring to "hideously republican heads", too, I take it?
    Too late, Megan got there first.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,136
    ydoethur said:

Phil said:

TimS said:

The SPAG (spelling and grammar) papers have not been mandatory at KS1 for a couple of years now; they are optional and for internal purposes. The questions asked are not of the "show me a fronted adverbial" type any more either. It is more "fix what's wrong with the verb it in this sentence to make it have right tense for the context, or "make the incorrect word into an adverb". So I'm basically OK with that.

On the other hand, I hate the obsession with Phonics which for at least half the kids is a garbage way of learning and severely impedes the time available for the rote learning of spellings in our idiosyncratic language of global historical borrowings. We just don't have a simple set of rules you can apply.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Starmer's new big idea: TBC.

Great.
  • Options

Phil said:

TimS said:

What's worse is that they think they're doing it for the best.

If you have low blood pressure, read this:

https://www.tes.com/magazine/analysis/general/nick-gibb-interview-we-had-to-blow-up-concrete
  • Options

Phil said:

TimS said:

It's still possible to do a good job of teaching at the primary level, but a great deal harder than it was ten years ago.
    My wife retired last year, and considers herself well out of it. She loved the teaching side, but the sheer volume of paperwork became unendurable.
  • Options
    edited January 2023

Has this changed?

On the leaving the country/changing jobs thing - the massive stress on junior doctors used to be boasted of, in the profession. Perhaps if we *stop* the beatings, morale will improve.

The person making that point seemed to claim that 100% of any extra trained staff would leave. Which is absurd.

All training/careers have wastage. If nothing else, someone who has done a medical degree is highly employable in other professions.
    Are the BMA still lobbying hard, to *not* increase the number of training places available? They used to be very forthright about the ‘devaluation’ of their profession that would follow from allowing more doctors to qualify.
    https://www.bmj.com/content/337/bmj.a748
  • Options

eek said:

A question for @TSE

John Bull
    @garius
    ·
    16s
    Replying to
    @garius

Yes.

Harry for King!
    Cry "God for Harry, England and St George"!
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

TimS said:

Phil said:

TimS said:

The kids much prefer maths these days.
    English is guaranteed a groan. They're more engaged by a page of sums.
    We have loads of creative writing with our 9yo. They are forever writing stories, imaginative letters, comic strips etc. integrated across their English and topic work.

From all of this it seems increasingly to me that there is colossal variation between schools and that perhaps the inspection regime is the problem, rather than curriculum per se.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

It's just nonsense.

Yes, they need more funding.

But everyone is missing a fundamental problem: the reason this is such a tricky problem to solve is that schooling is only one aspect of it. Home life also plays a major role. If a child's home does not have any books in it, they are going to find it hard to learn to read. If a parent cannot be bothered, or simply cannot because they lack the skills, help their kids learn maths, they are at a disadvantage.

Worse, if parents think school is pointless, if they don't send their kids in to school, if they don't try to get them to do their homework (even if they cannot help with the work themselves), if they don't understand the value of learning: then the child is at a massive disadvantage.

IMO innumeracy and illiteracy is as much a social problem as it is an educational one.

One of my son's friends probably misses a day of school a week. Not because he is ill, but because his mum is, and cannot cycle with him into school. The kid regularly comes around for after-school playdates, and I've offered to give him a lift into school if required, but so far the offer has been blanked. All the mum has to do is phone me up and ask, and I'd drive over and pick him up. She obviously trusts me enough to have him over for playdates, so why not?

I don't know what's going on in the family, and I know the school's aware of his absences, but all I see is a lovely kid who is falling massively behind.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Is this federalism/regional assemblies again?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943

eek said:

A question for @TSE

John Bull
    @garius
    ·
    16s
    Replying to
    @garius

Yes.

Harry for King!
    Harry is lucky he lives in the modern age not the Middle Ages when traitors to the Crown would have been beheaded, even if of royal birth
  • Options

Phil said:

TimS said:

There is nothing wrong with learning proper grammar, often I find foreigners know English grammar better than we do
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Phil said:

TimS said:

It's still possible to do a good job of teaching at the primary level, but a great deal harder than it was ten years ago.
    My wife retired last year, and considers herself well out of it. She loved the teaching side, but the sheer volume of paperwork became unendurable.
    This does seem to be a huge problem.

(I hated my time at school in the 70s/80s BTW. I thought it was monotonous uncreative garbage, and I was lucky to be both smart and an enthusiastic autodidact. My daughter's experience so far is much better despite the Tory curriculum meddling.)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

eek said:

A question for @TSE

John Bull
    @garius
    ·
    16s
    Replying to
    @garius

Yes.

Harry for King!
    Harry is lucky he lives in the modern age not the Middle Ages when traitors to the Crown would have been beheaded, even if of royal birth
    I visited the Tower of London on my recent trip. Harry would be rather peturbed to see what used to happen, to those who wouldn’t fall in line behind the King.
  • Options

Has this changed?

It would seem sensible to make medical training free, in exchange for a 10 to 20 year contract with the NHS upon completion.

Is it also the case that nurses need a degree these days? That's garbage. Nurses should do most of their training on wards.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581

Driver said:

Expanding the training of doctors and nurses in the UK is a no-brainer.

We know from the performance of private vs state education that a signifiant number of state educated children are not boosted by their education into the A/A* group. So there is plenty of talent out there, being wasted.

To put it another way -

https://www.statista.com/statistics/473206/medical-graduates-in-the-united-kingdom-uk/

anyone want to claim that there are less than 9k people suitable to be a doctor, per year, in the UK?

So we have a need for people to work in high skilled jobs - a defined, preplanned, government controlled need, no less.

We have a large number of people who are failed by the current educational setup and go on to less skilled/paid jobs.

So it is good for

- The country - productivity, wealth etc.
    - The NHS
    - The people in question. Becoming a doctor gives you wealth, status and given the shortage of doctors world wide, a guaranteed job for life, probably.
    - The rest of the world. The shortage of doctors is worldwide. So, by expanding the number of medical staff we train, it reduces the worldwide pressures.
    Also:

- Parents, who can boast that their son/daughter is a doctor
  • Options

Yet the UK has risen from 25th in the Pisa reading rankings in 2009 to 14th now

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-50563833.amp
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    HYUFD said:

eek said:

A question for @TSE

John Bull
    @garius
    ·
    16s
    Replying to
    @garius

Yes.

Harry for King!
    Please name a king of England (or indeed Scotland) who beheaded his own brother.

I can only think of one who was executed in any form - Edward IV with the Duke of Clarence. And that was at the fifth attempt after he'd actually tried to murder the King using witchcraft.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Phil said:

TimS said:

There is nothing wrong with learning proper grammar, often I find foreigners know English grammar better than we do
    You mean, speak one of any number of variants which you arbitrarily privilege because it's the one that makes it into the grammar books, better than we do. That version ain't no better than any other. Innit.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

TimS said:

I deal with Local Councils and Councillors regularly. Giving them this sort of power is a scary thought.
    Councillors will need to become full time and properly paid rather than just doing it for a hobby.
    If it helps to improve local democracy I am all for it. The way our town halls work and local government is run is so badly understood and opaque. We need to simplify its structure and boost engagement, and one way to do this is to make people feel they have more of a stake in what goes on.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Phil said:

TimS said:

Was that deliberate?
  • Options
    edited January 2023

Has this changed?

It would seem sensible to make medical training free, in exchange for a 10 to 20 year contract with the NHS upon completion.

Is it also the case that nurses need a degree these days? That's garbage. Nurses should do most of their training on wards.
    The ‘training bond’ is what airlines do with pilots. The airline will pay for your ‘type rating’ in exchange for a commitment to a certain length of service. Break the contract to leave early, and you have to pay back a proportion of the cost. It’s typically £30k / 3 years.

Yes, degree entry for nurses (and police officers) is silly. The cost of student loans is almost certainly a driving factor in their pay negotiations.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

ydoethur said:

Phil said:

TimS said:

The SPAG (spelling and grammar) papers have not been mandatory at KS1 for a couple of years now; they are optional and for internal purposes. The questions asked are not of the "show me a fronted adverbial" type any more either. It is more "fix what's wrong with the verb it in this sentence to make it have right tense for the context, or "make the incorrect word into an adverb". So I'm basically OK with that.

On the other hand, I hate the obsession with Phonics which for at least half the kids is a garbage way of learning and severely impedes the time available for the rote learning of spellings in our idiosyncratic language of global historical borrowings. We just don't have a simple set of rules you can apply.
    And for anyone with dyslexia, learning to read via phonics is basically impossible.
This discussion has been closed.