Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The best election bet – LAB NOT to get a majority – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442

Well

I used to bunk off math lessons, it was all gobbledegook - but if you subtract 23 from 49 you get 26?
    You have to first combine the Green and Con totals before working out the Labour lead.* Guess that was covered in the lesson on basic polling that you bunked?

*Unless the polling included reponses from Mornington Crescent, in which case you must also multiply by the Lib Dem figure.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    kjh said:

Well

Much as I am really pleased with seeing the LDs up 6% I can see no reason for it. Unless I have missed something they have had no publicity in the last week or so. Seems odd, but pleasing.
    It's MORI. Their headline VI, IIRC, is based solely on people saying they are 100% cetrain to vote, which has always made it moe susceptible to outliers. The 2008/9 "Con gain Glasgow" poll was a MORI one too I believe.

That's on top of how pointless it is analysing shifts in a single poll...
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,787
    TimS said:

Tory catastrophe would be a January attempted putsch to bring back Boris, which fails but only just, and 2 years of backbench mayhem.

Didn't we have that already (month aside)?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,679
    edited December 2022
    Driver said:

I saw what you did there ;-)

No worries - it happens to us all - me especially!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    kjh said:

Well

Much as I am really pleased with seeing the LDs up 6% I can see no reason for it. Unless I have missed something they have had no publicity in the last week or so. Seems odd, but pleasing.
    If they had any honesty they would rebrand as the NOTA party. Their vote share might even go up. Pretending to be a real political party is getting a bit old.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,856

Nigelb said:

Labour extends its lead to 26-points in new Ipsos poll.

Lab: 49% (+1)
    Con: 23% (-6)
    LD: 13% (+6)

(Change since November)

61% of voters say the Conservatives don't deserve to be re-elected, compared to just 19% who think they do.

Over to MoonRabbit to explain how this means the Tories are on course to win the next GE.
    MoonRabbit has already fronted up to being wrong with her prediction; give her a break.
    No, let Ben embarrass himself posting whatever he has in his head - everyone knows as fact the Tories did have a strong 10 days of polling, I was merely reporting that fact. All of a sudden it has gone into reverse, now I’m reporting that fact.

For about 10 days the Tories went up in nearly every poll, and way above MOE in a few of them -
    Redfield +3
    Omnisis +5
    Delta +4
    Savanta +5
    Yougov, opinium, Techne all up too. Fact.

And now, not many polls to go on over the last 5 days, but Sunak and government have lost momentum and a small step,back.

These are the facts. But what we don’t know is what was the trigger for both movements. If anything, with his boat people announcements and deals, inflation dropping back, Sunak seemed to be having a strong week. Maybe with Boris and Truss trashing the brand, Voters have given up on Tory “promises to sort things out asap”.
    To qualify this slightly, the changes for each pollster from the current poll to the previous:

Opinium - 15 point Labour lead, Conservative vote share unchanged
    Omnisis - 21 point labour lead, Conservatives down four.
    YouGov - 25 point Labour lead - Conservatives down one
    Techne - 18 point Labour lead - Conservatives up one
    Deltapoll - 13 point Labour lead - Conservatives up four
    Redfield & Wilton - 17 point Labour lead - Conservatives up three
    Savanta - 16 point Labour lead - Conservatives up one
    People Polling - 21 point Labour lead - Conservatives up four

There was a brief rise in Conservative support around the beginning of the month but this has flattened in more recent polls.

OGH makes a point the data tables on these polls are well worth a read. Those of us with longer memories will recollect the "shy Tory" syndrome of the 1990s in which polls consistently underestimated true Conservative strength. I'd argue the key figure in the data tables isn't as much as those Conservatives in the Don't Know camp as those in the Labour camp (around 20%).

Today's Ipsos Mori poll screams outlier but it's nice to look at.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,427
    kle4 said:

Have we done this?

Qatar has threatened to cut off energy supplies to Belgium and Europe in a row over a corruption scandal that has shaken the European Union.

Eva Kaili, the disgraced Greek MEP and a vice-president of the European parliament, is in custody after police seized cash totalling more than €900,000 from suitcases owned by her and her Italian husband Francesco Giorgi, an aide at the EU assembly.

At a court hearing this Thursday, Kaili 44, will blame Giorgi, 35, the father of their daughter, two, for dragging her into the scandal without her knowledge, her lawyer told The Times. “She was used by her partner and father of her child, without her knowledge,” Michalis Dimitrakopoulos, her lawyer said. “She has a clear conscience and she will fight for her innocence.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/we-can-cut-your-gas-too-qatar-warns-eu-in-bribery-row-2w50cq9tz

Yes, that's totally what an innocent party and country would do in this situation.

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Privet. I am back from 𝘽𝙀𝙃𝙄𝙉𝘿 𝙀𝙉𝙀𝙈𝙔 𝙇𝙄𝙉𝙀𝙎. Debrief follows.

Moscow seemed the same as ever. Decadent, crime-ridden, expensive, filthy, glamorous. It's the Eurasian maximum city. Mumbai in a blizzard. Less Western stuff and more Chinese tat for sale but it's hard to say how much different that was from the situation before sanctions.

Nobody I met thinks that Russia will lose the SMO for whatever ambiguous definition of 'lose' you care to adopt. It's just question of whether they stop at Kherson, Kiev or Lviv.

I watched Solovyov's tv show. He reckons the plan is a series of rolling mobilisations until they get to 3 million people in the armed forces. Which was reckoned by the coterie of beardie weirdos (it was like the LibDem conference) on the show to be sufficient to prevail against NATO in the existential conflict.

Casualities don't hurt VVP politically and you are kidding yourself if you think it does. On some level, they fucking like it.

There is a modest fraction of the population who are absolutely fanatical about it and are known as the Z-Publik. They have merch and VK/Telegram groups where they breathlessly follow the latest atrocities. The British equivalent would be those fucking arseholes who drive around with Comic Relief noses on R56 Minis 365 days/year.

Saw a fucking amazing road rage incident on the M7 motorway near Nizhny Novgorod involving an axe, a scaffold pole and a fire extinguisher. Some fat chybak tumbled out of a UK registered Audi A4 and started waving a Browning HP (SMO booty?) around which calmed everybody down.

Krasnov pretty much predicted all of this in 'Beyond the Thistle' in 1923. I might re-read it to see how it ends.

Endex.

Honest. I think we underestimate how much the average Russian is up for this (it's why Putin is in power in the first place) and Western media focuses on the liberal Mets and the 20% or so who vehemently oppose it.

It's not representative - anymore than it would be to film a people's march for a second referendum - but it's not a truth we are comfortable hearing.
    @Dura_Ace’s vivid account tallies exactly with my experience meeting young rich Russians in Armenia in June

They hated the war, but ultimately, they said: Russia had to prevail, could not lose, and they would reluctantly take up arms for Putin if needs be

If that’s how the sophisticated Muscovites feel…
    An American relative says that news from Russia (relatives there) reminds her of the stories her father told of the end of WWII in Germany (he was a Jew, hidden of false papers). Everyone was 126% Nazi, and all up for hanging traitors from lampposts etc, until 30 seconds after Admiral Donuts gave the good news on the radio.
    Gotta love autocorrect: Admiral Donuts indeed ;-)
    That wasn’t autocorrect. He was a Nazi and a shitty human. Also a fairly incompetent strategist. The strange love that some have for him is worthy of ridicule.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,202

Wondering what is the difference between Jo Brand's joke about throwing battery acid in Farage's face and Clarkson's joke about reimaging of a scene from GoT featuring Megan Markle?

Interesting to see how many comics were fiercely defensive of Brand to be able to make such a joke (at a time when Farage was being attacked by nutters), but now piling in on Clarkson.

Personally I think both fail the simple test, they ain't funny.

They're both terrible and were both right to apologise
    Has Clarkson apologized? Missed it if he has, but I've been busy, Did Jo Brand apologize? I seem to recall her doing so but in a way that suggested she stood by what she had said. My memory may be faulty on this.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

(Change since November)

61% of voters say the Conservatives don't deserve to be re-elected, compared to just 19% who think they do.

Over to MoonRabbit to explain how this means the Tories are on course to win the next GE.
    MoonRabbit has already fronted up to being wrong with her prediction; give her a break.
    No, let Ben embarrass himself posting whatever he has in his head - everyone knows as fact the Tories did have a strong 10 days of polling, I was merely reporting that fact. All of a sudden it has gone into reverse, now I’m reporting that fact.

For about 10 days the Tories went up in nearly every poll, and way above MOE in a few of them -
    Redfield +3
    Omnisis +5
    Delta +4
    Savanta +5

And now, not many polls to go on over the last 5 days, but Sunak and government have lost momentum and a small step,back.

These are the facts. But what we don’t know is what was the trigger for both movements. If anything, with his boat people announcements and deals, inflation dropping back, Sunak seemed to be having a strong week. Maybe with Boris and Truss trashing the brand, Voters have given up on Tory “promises to sort things out asap”.
    I embarrassed myself by posting an apology once your post was pointed out to me 😁
    One of the biggest and persistent news Stories of the past week was the eye watering sums defrauded from the tax payer and NHS by the VIP fast Lane of contracts to mates. As blatant and Genuine government corruption as you can get, and Sunak, he who carried out due diligence on it all and signed it all off, piss taking response of “this is shocking news, first I’ve heard of it.” Could it be that what’s sent them into polling reverse?
    Snap! (see 1:48pm)
  • Options

DJ41 said:

Jared Kushner is the new Twitter CEO.

(Joke! But Musk did say be careful what you wish for.)

If one was into conspiracies, one might wonder if Musk was in the ME for more than the footy. Have the Saudi's / Qatar's put money into twitter already, perhaps they are demanding a more grown-up attacking CEO in return for some more pennies.
    What's being forgotten is the whole 'Musk spanking money on Twitter' bit is that owning Twitter gives Musk a hell of lot of leverage with regimes who see the platform as more than a pain in the arse.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,632
    Scott_xP said:

Jeremy Clarkson says he is "horrified to have caused so much hurt" following backlash over comments he made in a newspaper column about how he "hated" Meghan Markle https://trib.al/vGC0FcC

Things like that article always disappoint me because I've long had a sense that Clarkson is not like the others. He is capable of nuance, his political views are not wholly predictable and he has a greater degree of self-awareness and willingness to learn than most in the - for want of a better word - "anti-woke" brigade. Then he goes and writes something like that, which is hideous.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,856
    DavidL said:

kjh said:

Well

If they had any honesty they would rebrand as the NOTA party. Their vote share might even go up. Pretending to be a real political party is getting a bit old.
    It worked pretty well in Chesham & Amersham, Shropshire North and Tiverton & Honiton.
  • Options
    edited December 2022

Wondering what is the difference between Jo Brand's joke about throwing battery acid in Farage's face and Clarkson's joke about reimaging of a scene from GoT featuring Megan Markle?

Interesting to see how many comics were fiercely defensive of Brand to be able to make such a joke (at a time when Farage was being attacked by nutters), but now piling in on Clarkson.

Has Clarkson apologized? Missed it if he has, but I've been busy, Did Jo Brand apologize? I seem to recall her doing so but in a way that suggested she stood by what she had said. My memory may be faulty on this.
    No. "I'm horrified to have caused so much hurt and I shall be more careful in future" doesn't sound like an apology to me.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/dec/19/and-the-award-for-the-most-terrible-customer-service-goes-to-

'But the winner [of the Golden Vulture Award] has to be BT. It was understandably upset when SR’s father died and no longer needed his phone plan. So it charged him £763 for terminating his contract early and, when he didn’t pay up, threatened to unleash debt collectors. In vain, over five months, did SR point out his father was dead. Only when I stepped in did it decide that someone had pressed the wrong button.'

Specially for @ydoethur.

I'm remembering that part of the special joy of being an executor is that you have to feel you have to sort out everything and anything - perhaps especially if the grieving spouse gets fixated on such things as unrefunded cellphone credits.

(I'm just grateful I've never had to explain to anyone that their loved partner's library of digitally stored books and music has vanished with their demise.)
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2022
    Roger said:

Are comics piling in on Clarkson? I don't think serious comics have ever found Clarkson funny. Real comics are allowed the occasional misfire.
    Yes they are, as long as you call people like Dom Joly, John Bishop, Jason Manford, etc, comics.

Just thought it was interesting, that Brand comments were so fiercely defended by the wider comedy community as even if I don't think it was a good joke, a jokes a joke, even dark ones including horrid violence, and should be allowed. Reaction to Clarkson bit, is this shouldn't be allowed under any circumstances.

e.g.

WTF is this ??
    I don't care who you are or who you work for you simply can not write things like this. It is a blatant appeal to incite humiliation and violence on a woman. Some have excused it as dark humour. There is mo joke here
    @JeremyClarkson
    and no excuse.

https://twitter.com/JohnBishop100/status/1604396528285945858

Exactly the same argument could be made against Brand's joke, and those that did make it, where simply told by comics, no its a joke, we are allowed to do jokes.

As I said down thread, I think both fail the simple test, they ain't funny at all.
  • Options
    DJ41 said:

Good question. The honest answer is it depends which side you're on. That's why I defend Brand and not Clarkson. For the record, other items on Clarkson's record include

* he called for strikers to be executed
    * Anders Breivik found his work inspiring
    The last one can hardly be on Clarkson. All vegetarians presumably admired Hitlers stand on eating meat.
  • Options

DJ41 said:

Good question. The honest answer is it depends which side you're on. That's why I defend Brand and not Clarkson. For the record, other items on Clarkson's record include

Anybody with half a brain knows that Clarkson stuff is all an act, its Al Murray Pub landlord shtick. I think one of the best things about Clarkson's farm is that hidden within the brambles of Top Gear -lite stunts, we did get a glimpse of real Clarkson i.e. the multi-millionaire landowner who is extremely well connected to anybody who is anybody and is neither a fool or an idiotic madman. He has spun that farm into an incredible success, monetarising every aspect of it.
    Bit like Portillo’a right wing pose, it’s come acropper because it’s an act that has gone well past the boundaries of good taste.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449

ohnotnow said:

https://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/2022-12-19/two-north-east-sites-shortlisted-for-rolls-royce-nuclear-reactor-factory

"Teesside and Sunderland make it to final three bids for Rolls-Royce nuclear reactor factory

Rolls-Royce has shortlisted two North East sites as potential locations for its first factory manufacturing parts for its fleet of nuclear power stations.

The company says the shortlist of possible sites includes Teesworks on Teesside, International Advanced Manufacturing Park (IAMP) in Sunderland and South Tyneside and Gateway in North Wales.

The Small Module Reactor (SMR) facility will be around the size of three football pitches and create more than 200 long-term jobs.

It will have the capacity to generate enough low-carbon energy to power one million homes."

"It will have the capacity to generate enough low-carbon energy to power one million homes"

These dumbed-down numbers do my head in. Why can't they just tell us how many MW?
    I'm as grumpy as the next man about dumbed-down journalism - but I must admit I quite like power discussed in how many homes are powered. Though what I'd like even more is 'will provide x% of UK's electricity'.
  • Options

Kind of. Maybe. If you look at it generously. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64029690
  • Options
    DJ41 said:

DJ41 said:

Anybody with half a brain knows that Clarkson stuff is all an act, its Al Murray Pub landlord shtick. I think one of the best things about Clarkson's farm is that hidden within the brambles of Top Gear -lite stunts, we did get a glimpse of real Clarkson i.e. the multi-millionaire landowner who is extremely well connected to anybody who is anybody and is neither a fool or an idiotic madman. He has spun that farm into an incredible success, monetarising every aspect of it.
    Yes, yes. Then there was Anders Breivik who didn't think it was all an act.
    Which is on that mass murderer, not Clarkson FFS.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,632
    Carnyx said:

TimS said:

Tory catastrophe would be a January attempted putsch to bring back Boris, which fails but only just, and 2 years of backbench mayhem.

Didn't we have that already (month aside)?
    Not with the incumbent remaining in place. I'm thinking letters into 1922 but not quite enough.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Not much.
    Except that one didn't go through an editorial process which concluded, 'this is fine to publish in our newspaper'.

No, it passed the BBC editorial process about what was fine to Broadcast to a bigger audience than the readership of the Sun.
  • Options

ohnotnow said:

https://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/2022-12-19/two-north-east-sites-shortlisted-for-rolls-royce-nuclear-reactor-factory

"Teesside and Sunderland make it to final three bids for Rolls-Royce nuclear reactor factory

Rolls-Royce has shortlisted two North East sites as potential locations for its first factory manufacturing parts for its fleet of nuclear power stations.

The company says the shortlist of possible sites includes Teesworks on Teesside, International Advanced Manufacturing Park (IAMP) in Sunderland and South Tyneside and Gateway in North Wales.

The Small Module Reactor (SMR) facility will be around the size of three football pitches and create more than 200 long-term jobs.

It will have the capacity to generate enough low-carbon energy to power one million homes."

"It will have the capacity to generate enough low-carbon energy to power one million homes"

These dumbed-down numbers do my head in. Why can't they just tell us how many MW?
    The Wales and the Double Decker bus are the only legitimate units of measurement.
  • Options
    Is Michelle Mone (Con) in police custody yet?
  • Options
    Selebian said:

ohnotnow said:

The Wales and the Double Decker bus are the only legitimate units of measurement.
    And whales, too, of course.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

ohnotnow said:

I'm as grumpy as the next man about dumbed-down journalism - but I must admit I quite like power discussed in how many homes are powered. Though what I'd like even more is 'will provide x% of UK's electricity'.
    Give me the numbers I want.

How many nuclear bomb cores worth of plutonium will they create?

Hardest fucking currency on the planet.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Are comics piling in on Clarkson? I don't think serious comics have ever found Clarkson funny. Real comics are allowed the occasional misfire.
    This is pure snobbery. Clarkson is a comic genius. Watch his work on Top Gear and now The Grand Tour, and indeed Clarkson's Farm. Which serious comics are we talking about?
  • Options
    stodge said:

DavidL said:

kjh said:

Well

It worked pretty well in Chesham & Amersham, Shropshire North and Tiverton & Honiton.
    Just think how much better they could have done had they stood as the NOTA party. Vote Labour or Tory?? Don't be ridiculous. Vote for neither, vote for us. It's a winner, isn't it?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    Driver said:

Kind of. Maybe. If you look at it generously. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64029690
    I am sure he is horrified by all the publicity, I doubt many Sun readers disagreed with his column anyway
  • Options

Slightly surprised no PBTory has yet told you off for not using the right and proper form 'Baroness Mone'. Can't think why.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

ohnotnow said:

And the football pitch.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

ohnotnow said:

No. The Olympic Swimming Pool is basically an SI unit, as well.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

ohnotnow said:

SI Unit of blubber?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,632
    DavidL said:

kjh said:

Well

As you know David we agree on practically everything, so much as I would like to disagree with you, you are certainly correct in terms of probably the majority of our vote, but please allow the small minority of us who actually do believe in being a liberal to have our dreams that we really do have real beliefs in real stuff rather than the believing the rest of the politicians are useless tossers.
  • Options

DJ41 said:

Was punching his producer “an act”?
    Real or fake, the man is a boor.

Some boors appear to find other boors funny, for some reason.
    No - and punching a colleague is never right, he lost his job over it. That he has probably bennefited from it in the long run is down to his talent and hard work. Lots of people who do well in life can have moments of being shits.
  • Options

Selebian said:

ohnotnow said:

Oh, yes, good point. Forgot that one.
  • Options

I think so, maybe next door to those SNP politicians who send inappropriate messages to young boys.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,625

kle4 said:

(Change since November)

Sunak's ratings falling as well.

Not as shit as Truss might be Sunak's epitath.
    And we'll hear about how Boris would have easily won the next election until the end of time. Never mind that you have to cock up in extraordinary fashion to cause your own MPs to mutiny after 3 years.
    Mostly from Boris, I suspect.

But when a Conservative PM is behind on "is patriotic", the Conservative party is in trouble.
    What do you expect when he wants to live in the US and his family use the non-dom loophole to avoid tax?
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,416
    Roger said:

Nigelb said:

(Change since November)

Is it not legitimate to call out a 'damus' when the evidence has become overwhelming?

I think she's even giving me a run for my money
    Have you twigged this site is quick to hand out the dunce damus hat, and sometimes slow to hand out the well done. It’s very competitive with oneupmanship here 🙂

Truth is though Roger, the Tories did have a little golden stream in the polling, up in nearly every poll, and way above MOE in a few of them -
    Redfield +3
    Omnisis +5
    Delta +4
    Savanta +5
    Yougov, opinium, Techne all up too. Fact. and I was merely reporting straight as a die what was going on. But next time the graph is updated, I expect their line to be downward.

Don’t allow my obvious dislike for Labour, and my near hatred for the greed and opportunism of Union Barons to cloud what is far straighter analysis of each poll and election.

Like I said before, it helps to think in advance of a poll or election result what will be good, middling and bad, that is my method.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    edited December 2022
    IanB2 said:

(Change since November)

Tories down to below fifty seats! LDs in the low 30s…

Just a bit of fun….and wouldn’t it be!
    If those type of numbers were consistent Boris would be back as PM in the new year.

However Opinium had the Tories up to 29% on Saturday and up to 197 seats and they were the good standard pollster in 2019 with 8% for RefUK to squeeze
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2022

DJ41 said:

No - and punching a colleague is never right, he lost his job over it. That he has probably bennefited from it in the long run is down to his talent and hard work. Lots of people who do well in life can have moments of being shits.
    People in the entertainment and media industry can act like total over-privileged shits, never been heard of.....
  • Options

Cookie said:

ohnotnow said:

Give me the numbers I want.

How many nuclear bomb cores worth of plutonium will they create?

Hardest fucking currency on the planet.
    Difficult heuristically. Given the unfamiliar density of plutonium, at least half again as dense as lead. IT's a bit like using boules courts as a unit of area in the Daily Mail.
  • Options

Here's an idea - why not ring up the police and report the crime you believe she has committed? You may be right - the whole thing stinks, but posting this is very very dull. More so than just being your normal racist self.
  • Options
    kjh said:

DavidL said:

kjh said:

Well

As you know David we agree on practically everything, so much as I would like to disagree with you, you are certainly correct in terms of probably the majority of our vote, but please allow the small minority of us who actually do believe in being a liberal to have our dreams that we really do have real beliefs in real stuff rather than the believing the rest of the politicians are useless tossers.
    Fair enough. Bit perturbed to learn we agree on practically everything though. Am I a liberal? Blimey. The things you learn on PB.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Driver said:

I am sure he is horrified by all the publicity, I doubt many Sun readers disagreed with his column anyway
    You think most Sun readers feel Meghan should "be made to parade naked through the streets of every town in Britain while crowds chant, 'Shame!' and throw lumps of excrement at her"?

It never ceases to amaze me how extremists assume everyone thinks the same as they do.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    DJ41 said:

Breivik was into cars?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Selebian said:

ohnotnow said:

And the football pitch.
    0.3μWales? Why the need for an extra unit?

(no doubt I've cocked up the maths...)
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Roger said:

Are comics piling in on Clarkson? I don't think serious comics have ever found Clarkson funny. Good comics are allowed the occasional misfire.
    When they are left wing.
    That's probably true. There weren't many comics queuing up to take on the mantle of Bernard Manning after his untimely death.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

ohnotnow said:

Blue Whale (size, general) and Wales (area of land) are both accepted. See also football pitch for area.
  • Options

Selebian said:

ohnotnow said:

Yes, an odd one that one. Given that probably fewer than 5% of the country have even been in an Olympic size swimming pool (of which I believe the UK has, apparently, 11), and most of them would struggle to easily visualise its capacity, not least with all the vagaries of deep ends and shallow ends.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Slightly surprised no PBTory has yet told you off for not using the right and proper form 'Baroness Mone'. Can't think why.
    They have. You must’ve missed that scintillating post.
  • Options

DJ41 said:

People in the entertainment and media industry can act like total over-privileged shits, never been heard of.....
    Oddly one of the stories about Markle (for it was her) is about her treatment of Palace staff in the way some A-listers treat their slaves employees. Didn't go down well.
  • Options

Roger said:

Nigelb said:

(Change since November)

Is it not legitimate to call out a 'damus' when the evidence has become overwhelming?

Have you twigged this site is quick to hand out the dunce damus hat, and sometimes slow to hand out the well done. It’s very competitive with oneupmanship here 🙂

Truth is though Roger, the Tories did have a little golden stream in the polling, up in nearly every poll, and way above MOE in a few of them -
    Redfield +3
    Omnisis +5
    Delta +4
    Savanta +5
    Yougov, opinium, Techne all up too. Fact. and I was merely reporting straight as a die what was going on. But next time the graph is updated, I expect their line to be downward.

Don’t allow my obvious dislike for Labour, and my near hatred for the greed and opportunism of Union Barons to cloud what is far straighter analysis of each poll and election.

Like I said before, it helps to think in advance of a poll or election result what will be good, middling and bad, that is my method.
    "...the Tories did have a little golden stream in the polling..." and now they've pissed it all away.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Are comics piling in on Clarkson? I don't think serious comics have ever found Clarkson funny. Good comics are allowed the occasional misfire.
    When they are left wing.
    That's probably true. There weren't many comics queuing up to take on the mantle of Bernard Manning after his untimely death.
    Lots of comics happy to go on Clarkson's shows though. Perhaps they get paid for it?
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,341

Scott_xP said:

Jeremy Clarkson says he is "horrified to have caused so much hurt" following backlash over comments he made in a newspaper column about how he "hated" Meghan Markle https://trib.al/vGC0FcC

Hurt is probably the wrong word.
    Disgust and contempt is better.

I’m glad his daughter came out against his comments, she struck precisely the right tone too.
    Don’t really see what the fuss was about. It was a straight down the line Game of Thrones reference and those claiming to be offended or shocked are just pretending (including, possibly, to themselves) as usual. It was not very funny, but he saves that for the Sunday Times column from what I can see. Was it offensive to her? Yes, but then presumably he intended it to be. Got the Sun a few more hits for the advertising revenue though.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Selebian said:

ohnotnow said:

Yes, an odd one that one. Given that probably fewer than 5% of the country have even been in an Olympic size swimming pool (of which I believe the UK has, apparently, 11), and most of them would struggle to easily visualise its capacity, not least with all the vagaries of deep ends and shallow ends.
    12, according to Wikipedia, the 12th was built for the Commonwealth Games this year. There are also a few dozen which are 50m long but not 10 lanes wide.

Wiki's comment on the "Olympic-sized pool" is rather droll: An Olympic-size swimming pool is used as a colloquial unit of volume, to make approximate comparisons to similarly sized objects or volumes. It is not a specific definition, as there is no official limit on the depth of an Olympic pool. The value has an order of magnitude of 1 megaliter (ML).
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Selebian said:

ohnotnow said:

I do not believe this stat is true. I think it means olympic long course pools (which includes having 10 lanes, with 8 for competition), but there are a lot more 50 m pools than that.
  • Options
    DEAD THREAD
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,856
    biggles said:

Scott_xP said:

I’m glad his daughter came out against his comments, she struck precisely the right tone too.
    Don’t really see what the fuss was about. It was a straight down the line Game of Thrones reference and those claiming to be offended or shocked are just pretending (including, possibly, to themselves) as usual. It was not very funny, but he saves that for the Sunday Times column from what I can see. Was it offensive to her? Yes, but then presumably he intended it to be. Got the Sun a few more hits for the advertising revenue though.
    Well I just completely disagree.
    It was Nazi-era talk. Dehumanising and degrading.

If you think it’s just a game of advertising revenue, then I pity you.

Ditto FU, who seems to have made it his day’s chord to defend the indefensible.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,625
    Scott_xP said:

While Clarkson was the twat who wrote it, his editor was the twat who thought it was OK to publish it.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,271

Selebian said:

ohnotnow said:

I was disappointed that the hotel fish tank that collapsed recently wasn't described as, "holding almost half an Olympic Swimming Pool of water." They gave an actual number of litres.

The pandemic must have created a break in training continuity.
  • Options

DJ41 said:

Oddly one of the stories about Markle (for it was her) is about her treatment of Palace staff in the way some A-listers treat their slaves employees. Didn't go down well.
    I was told by someone from the “scene” that in Hollywood, mistreating the staff is a way of asserting dominance. So ordering something not on the menu, and publicly sending it back three times is a status thing.

The context was some ugly behaviour by an A lister in our club.

The more I hear of Holyweird the more it seems to be a pyramid of abusive behaviour - with the grand prize of being the monkey at the top of the tree. Where there is no one to shit on *you*
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

(Change since November)

Redfield +3
    Omnisis +5
    Delta +4
    Savanta +5

To be fair you do constantly try and pretend you're not a Tory supporter yet you constantly try and read polls positively for them
    Just take MoonRabbit at face value, and remember that her father is a lifelong Tory, and she tends to extrapolate from how he reacts to news.
    Reminds me of a Leonard Bernstein story I heard yesterday. When his father was asked why he wouldn't allow him to study music when he was a child he said 'How was I to know he'd grow up to be Leonard Bernstein'
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,341

biggles said:

Scott_xP said:

Well I just completely disagree.
    It was Nazi-era talk. Dehumanising and degrading.

If you think it’s just a game of advertising revenue, then I pity you.

Ditto FU, who seems to have made it his day’s chord to defend the indefensible.
    “Nazi era”? Yeah you’re deluding yourself.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Nigelb said:

(Change since November)

Redfield +3
    Omnisis +5
    Delta +4
    Savanta +5

To qualify this slightly, the changes for each pollster from the current poll to the previous:

There was a brief rise in Conservative support around the beginning of the month but this has flattened in more recent polls.

OGH makes a point the data tables on these polls are well worth a read. Those of us with longer memories will recollect the "shy Tory" syndrome of the 1990s in which polls consistently underestimated true Conservative strength. I'd argue the key figure in the data tables isn't as much as those Conservatives in the Don't Know camp as those in the Labour camp (around 20%).

Will you please stop disregarding very good poll for Labour and ramping the Tory swingback.

Stick to the facts. Ipsos give us a whole substantial range of measures.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,458
    Cyclefree said:

I see that the Times has picked up what I wrote yesterday about the appalling appointment of Mike Veale - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/police-chief-is-in-no-position-to-judge-colleagues-p6kgg0fx6.

"Everything that is wrong with the upper ranks of British policing — in particular a culture of failing ever upwards — is evident in the case of the former chief constable under investigation for alleged serious misconduct who has just been handed a new job upholding police standards. "

I have been saying this for years.

What the actual fuck does the Policing Minister do every day?

A vealy bad appointment.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

(Change since November)

Redfield +3
    Omnisis +5
    Delta +4
    Savanta +5

To be fair you do constantly try and pretend you're not a Tory supporter yet you constantly try and read polls positively for them
    Just take MoonRabbit at face value, and remember that her father is a lifelong Tory, and she tends to extrapolate from how he reacts to news.
    Reminds me of a Leonard Bernstein story I heard yesterday. When his father was asked why he wouldn't allow him to study music when he was a child he said 'How was I to know he'd grow up to be Leonard Bernstein'
    That makes no sense whatsoever.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

I see that the Times has picked up what I wrote yesterday about the appalling appointment of Mike Veale - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/police-chief-is-in-no-position-to-judge-colleagues-p6kgg0fx6.

"Everything that is wrong with the upper ranks of British policing — in particular a culture of failing ever upwards — is evident in the case of the former chief constable under investigation for alleged serious misconduct who has just been handed a new job upholding police standards. "

I have been saying this for years.

What the actual fuck does the Policing Minister do every day?

A vealy bad appointment.
    The Rump of the British state. I really don’t like the cut (of his jib), either.
  • Options

Roger said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

(Change since November)

Redfield +3
    Omnisis +5
    Delta +4
    Savanta +5

That makes no sense whatsoever.
    Imagine you are drunk posting while reading monoliths. Recall that mind state.
  • Options
    On serious note about integrity in senior figures.

Some talk of Lord Carrington’s resignation over the Falklands as the last honourable etc…

His resignation, however, was about taking responsibility for the actions of permanent officials, who, among other things, suppressed intelligence of the Argentine build up before the war. They even demanded that the head of MI6 reprimand and send home the chap in Argentina who was sending back those inconvenient reports.

If you were a politician, wouldn’t you like some of that freedom from responsibility? And so, that’s what they’ve done, ever since.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/pm-opening-remarks-at-jef-summit-19-december-2022

Sunak: "We must be clear that any unilateral call for a ceasefire by Russia is completely meaningless in the current context.

I think it would be a false call.

It would be used by Russia to regroup, to reinforce their troops and until they have withdrawn from conquered territory, there can and should be no real negotiation.

[...]

We must continue to focus on degrading Russia’s capability to regroup and to resupply and that means going after its supply chains and removing the international support.

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626

kle4 said:

Have we done this?

Qatar has threatened to cut off energy supplies to Belgium and Europe in a row over a corruption scandal that has shaken the European Union.

Eva Kaili, the disgraced Greek MEP and a vice-president of the European parliament, is in custody after police seized cash totalling more than €900,000 from suitcases owned by her and her Italian husband Francesco Giorgi, an aide at the EU assembly.

At a court hearing this Thursday, Kaili 44, will blame Giorgi, 35, the father of their daughter, two, for dragging her into the scandal without her knowledge, her lawyer told The Times. “She was used by her partner and father of her child, without her knowledge,” Michalis Dimitrakopoulos, her lawyer said. “She has a clear conscience and she will fight for her innocence.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/we-can-cut-your-gas-too-qatar-warns-eu-in-bribery-row-2w50cq9tz

Yes, that's totally what an innocent party and country would do in this situation.

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Moscow seemed the same as ever. Decadent, crime-ridden, expensive, filthy, glamorous. It's the Eurasian maximum city. Mumbai in a blizzard. Less Western stuff and more Chinese tat for sale but it's hard to say how much different that was from the situation before sanctions.

Nobody I met thinks that Russia will lose the SMO for whatever ambiguous definition of 'lose' you care to adopt. It's just question of whether they stop at Kherson, Kiev or Lviv.

I watched Solovyov's tv show. He reckons the plan is a series of rolling mobilisations until they get to 3 million people in the armed forces. Which was reckoned by the coterie of beardie weirdos (it was like the LibDem conference) on the show to be sufficient to prevail against NATO in the existential conflict.

Casualities don't hurt VVP politically and you are kidding yourself if you think it does. On some level, they fucking like it.

There is a modest fraction of the population who are absolutely fanatical about it and are known as the Z-Publik. They have merch and VK/Telegram groups where they breathlessly follow the latest atrocities. The British equivalent would be those fucking arseholes who drive around with Comic Relief noses on R56 Minis 365 days/year.

Saw a fucking amazing road rage incident on the M7 motorway near Nizhny Novgorod involving an axe, a scaffold pole and a fire extinguisher. Some fat chybak tumbled out of a UK registered Audi A4 and started waving a Browning HP (SMO booty?) around which calmed everybody down.

Krasnov pretty much predicted all of this in 'Beyond the Thistle' in 1923. I might re-read it to see how it ends.

Endex.

Honest. I think we underestimate how much the average Russian is up for this (it's why Putin is in power in the first place) and Western media focuses on the liberal Mets and the 20% or so who vehemently oppose it.

It's not representative - anymore than it would be to film a people's march for a second referendum - but it's not a truth we are comfortable hearing.
    @Dura_Ace’s vivid account tallies exactly with my experience meeting young rich Russians in Armenia in June

They hated the war, but ultimately, they said: Russia had to prevail, could not lose, and they would reluctantly take up arms for Putin if needs be

An American relative says that news from Russia (relatives there) reminds her of the stories her father told of the end of WWII in Germany (he was a Jew, hidden of false papers). Everyone was 126% Nazi, and all up for hanging traitors from lampposts etc, until 30 seconds after Admiral Donuts gave the good news on the radio.
    That wasn’t autocorrect. He was a Nazi and a shitty human. Also a fairly incompetent strategist. The strange love that some have for him is worthy of ridicule.
    Does anyone admire him other than some of the old U-Boat crews ?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626

Apparently so:
    https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2020/jan/27/jo-brand-face-no-further-action-battery-acid-joke
    ...After making the comments, Brand immediately made clear she was joking and criticised the milkshake stunts. “That’s just me. I’m not going to do it,” she said. “It’s purely a fantasy, but I think milkshakes are pathetic, I honestly do, sorry.”

The comedian later apologised for making a “crass and ill-judged” joke...
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,980

Here's an idea - why not ring up the police and report the crime you believe she has committed? You may be right - the whole thing stinks, but posting this is very very dull. More so than just being your normal racist self.
    Her Tory pals will protect her , HTF do you get calling out crooks as racist you halfwit.
  • Options

stodge said:

Nigelb said:

(Change since November)

Redfield +3
    Omnisis +5
    Delta +4
    Savanta +5

Will you please stop disregarding very good poll for Labour and ramping the Tory swingback.

Stick to the facts. Ipsos give us a whole substantial range of measures.
    You ramp every poll that’s remotely good for the Tories. Good now is still 10 points behind…
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Have we done this?

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Endex.

Does anyone admire him other than some of the old U-Boat crews ?
    Zeee Good Nazi, Ja?

Got a little fan club. The murdering cunt.
  • Options

Roger said:

Nigelb said:

(Change since November)

Redfield +3
    Omnisis +5
    Delta +4
    Savanta +5

Opinion just doesn't shift like that. You have an idea that a headline in the Mail or Express will actually change a voting habit which has been built up over years sometimes generations. A few bad headlines might shift a few floating voters here or there but the lasting damage is done over time. Building up a tarnished brand is as difficult as it gets. It's usually best to go for a completely new identity. David Cameron and Steve Hilton did it quite effectively but it took years and they had a much better backdrop.
This discussion has been closed.