Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

So far ministers are struggling with public opinion over the strikes – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977
    I should think American Football is safe regardless. "Please Americam, don't get into soccer"

The tragedy of soccer taking off in the US is that it would flatten and corrode one of the best things about America: its splendid sporting culture. Even worse, you’d probably end up being really good at it.

As a Brit, I love American sports culture because of how absurdly and uniquely American it is. I love that you call your national baseball championship the World Series with a straight face. I love that people will fly 2,000 miles just to watch their local college play in a university basketball match. I love that eight of the ten biggest sport stadiums in the entire world are dedicated to amateur college football. I adore the language and the lore: the Big House, March Madness, the Red River Showdown

https://spectatorworld.com/life/please-america-get-soccer-world-cup/
  • Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

I'm with @Jonathan

So far today @jonathan has said ChatGPT is “just a drum machine”, yet it is also an amazing and brilliant technological leap, yet it is also a sinister, dystopian development which will enable dictators. Not bad for a drum machine
    We need a Butlerian Jihad. Leon can be our first mentat. His prescience needs no Spice.
    The Spectator has clearly been reading our AI maunderings

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/how-australian-rock-art-warns-us-about-2023/
    The transformation to the Fortean Times for gammons is well on its way, ably assisted by that Sean Thomas bloke.

DougSeal said:

Harry Maguire vs. Kylian Mbappé tonight is going to produce some of the greatest comedy since the earlier seasons of Frasier.

Bet accordingly.

Harry, England, and St George
    St George. Another foreigner taking a Brit’s job.

https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofEngland/Edmund-original-Patron-Saint-of-England/
    How many English saints are there?
    Quite a number. The patron saint before St George was St Edmund.

https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofEngland/Edmund-original-Patron-Saint-of-England/

Then you have St Thomas a Becket, before the Reformation martyrs beginning with St Thomas More, and then most recently John Henry Newman. Going back to Edmund would be the least controversial.
    Yes, but Edmund was a king who lost a battle and refused to renounce Christ.

11/10 for holiness (which is the point of saints, after all) but 0/10 for killing dragons or looking hard.
    Should be Bede anyway. Very English, and influential.
  • DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792
    edited December 2022

Here's a question for you. Let's say a robot can be trained to play a round of golf hitting 18 holes in one. Would you bother watching more than once?

Good question. There is a free chess program available called Stockfish that has an Elo rating of about 3500. If a human could play at 2900 (which is higher than Magnus Carlsen's rating), Stockfish would theoretically win about 97% of the points. How many chess players enjoy watching Stockfish play itself even now? OK, probably some do. But what if it could play at Elo 10000? Or 10 million? Watch it draw with itself every game, without understanding the key moves made by either side. Or perhaps occasionally there would be a win for White or Black, and we still wouldn't understand. What fun.

Coffeehouse chess rocks :-) Long live humanity!

(Note: I've heard it said that SF now rates 2 Nf3 followed by 3 Bd3 as the best system against the Sicilian. Cool! I've been playing 2 Bd3 in my coffeehouse for years.)
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527
    kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

Harry Maguire vs. Kylian Mbappé tonight is going to produce some of the greatest comedy since the earlier seasons of Frasier.

Bet accordingly.

Then you have St Thomas a Becket, before the Reformation martyrs beginning with St Thomas More, and then most recently John Henry Newman. Going back to Edmund would be the least controversial.

11/10 for holiness (which is the point of saints, after all) but 0/10 for killing dragons or looking hard.
    IIRC he’s a Doctor of the Church, not a saint.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,368
    edited December 2022
    Leon said:

I'm with @Jonathan

So far today @jonathan has said ChatGPT is “just a drum machine”, yet it is also an amazing and brilliant technological leap, yet it is also a sinister, dystopian development which will enable dictators. Not bad for a drum machine
    Er, no I didn’t say ChatGPT was just a drum machine. Turn your brain on Leon. The drum machine reference said two things. You can overstate how a new tool impacts the old world, and it’s not a nil sum game. There is nothing ’just’ about the drum machine and electronic music.
    edited December 2022
    DougSeal said:

kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

Bet accordingly.

Eh, people would declare saints willy nilly back then, I'm sure it can be fudged.

Though people like martyrs more.
  • kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

Bet accordingly.

I'd love to live in a county where the patron saint was a monastic scholar.

But nobody is going to a football match dressed as St Bede, are they?
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527
    In these islands, only St David was native to the country of which he is patron, although St Patrick probably qualifies by residence.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,689
    Leon said:

I'm with @Jonathan

A drum machine enabled Stock, Aitken and Waterman.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,250
    edited December 2022
    kle4 said:

Here's a question for you. Let's say a robot can be trained to play a round of golf hitting 18 holes in one. Would you bother watching more than once?

Bender:
    Now Wireless Joe Jackson - there was a blern-hitting machine.

Leela:
    Exactly! He was a machine designed to hit blerns. Wireless Joe Jackson was nothing but a programmable bat on wheels.

Bender:
    Oh, and I suppose Pitch-o-Mat 5000 was just a modified howitzer!

Leela:
    Yep.
    It’s absolutely scary

Prompt: please translate this into French Hebrew and Japanese

Ten seconds later

ChatGPT:
    French:

Bender:
    Maintenant, Wireless Joe Jackson - il était une machine blern-hitting.

Leela:
    Exactement! Il était une machine conçue pour frapper des blerns. Wireless Joe Jackson n'était rien d'autre qu'une batte programmable sur roues.

Bender:
    Oh, et je suppose que Pitch-o-Mat 5000 n'était qu'un obusier modifié!

Leela:
    Oui.

Hebrew:

בנדר:
    עכשיו, Wireless Joe Jackson - היה מכונת מכה בלנרנס.

לילה:
    די! היה מכונת מעוצבת למכות בלנרנסים. Wireless Joe Jackson היה לא אחר מאשר מטוס מוכרח על גלגלים.

בנדר:
    אוי, ואני מנסה ש-Pitch-o-Mat 5000 היה רק כפות מגן מותאמת!

לילה:
    כן.

Japanese:

ベンダー:
    それでは、Wireless Joe Jackson - それは blern-hitting 機械でした。

リーラ:
    その通り! 彼は blerns を打つように設計された機械でした。 Wireless Joe Jackson は、輪付きのプログラマブルバット以外の何もありませんでした。

ベンダー:
    ああ、そして私は Pitch-o-Mat 5000 が修正された砲台だと思うのです!

リーラ:
    そうです。

I checked the Japanese. It’s perfect. So ChatGPT can give you perfect multiple simultaneous translations: in seconds

This is Babelfish once they put it in a hearing aid

• algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,075
    DougSeal said:

kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

Bet accordingly.

You can be both. Like St Thomas Aquinas. Don't know if Bede made the cut. (He was of course Northumbrian.)

kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

Bet accordingly.

I'd love to live in a county where the patron saint was a monastic scholar.

But nobody is going to a football match dressed as St Bede, are they?
    Maybe they played dress up at the monastery occasionally?
  • theakestheakes Posts: 915
    There is little the Government can do about public opinion , we have reached the time when the mood is "we need a change". Whatever the Conservative diehards may hope their time has gone, it happens to all governments roundabout the 12 years mark. They will need to replenish and refresh in opposition.
  • DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792
    Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

I'm with @Jonathan

We need a Butlerian Jihad. Leon can be our first mentat. His prescience needs no Spice.
    The Spectator has clearly been reading our AI maunderings

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/how-australian-rock-art-warns-us-about-2023/
    Sadly the Australian aborigines underestimated the evil of what they were up against.
  • Leon said:

kle4 said:

Bender:

Leela:
    Exactly! He was a machine designed to hit blerns. Wireless Joe Jackson was nothing but a programmable bat on wheels.

Bender:

Leela:
    Yep.
    It’s absolutely scary

Ten seconds later

ChatGPT:
    French:

Bender:

Leela:
    Exactement! Il était une machine conçue pour frapper des blerns. Wireless Joe Jackson n'était rien d'autre qu'une batte programmable sur roues.

Bender:

Leela:
    Oui.

Hebrew:

בנדר:

לילה:
    די! היה מכונת מעוצבת למכות בלנרנסים. Wireless Joe Jackson היה לא אחר מאשר מטוס מוכרח על גלגלים.

בנדר:

לילה:
    כן.

Japanese:

ベンダー:

リーラ:
    その通り! 彼は blerns を打つように設計された機械でした。 Wireless Joe Jackson は、輪付きのプログラマブルバット以外の何もありませんでした。

ベンダー:

リーラ:
    そうです。

I checked the Japanese. It’s perfect. So ChatGPT can give you perfect multiple simultaneous translations: in seconds

I hate agreeing with you, Leon!
    Yesterday I asked it to write me some Welsh poetry. It did (and provided me with a translation).
    I don't speak Welsh, but my Welsh sister-in-law said not only did it correctly use mutations which are different in poetry and prose, it used some poetic techniques which are very difficult to do.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,689
    edited December 2022
    tlg86 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/dec/10/john-kerry-examining-likely-impact-of-new-uk-coalmine

John Kerry, the US climate official, has said he is closely examining the UK government’s approval of a new coalmine, over concerns that it will raise greenhouse gas emissions and send the wrong signal to developing countries.

“Coal is not exactly the direction that the world is trying to move in, or needs to move in. What I want to know is the level of abatement here [such as whether the resulting greenhouse gases will be captured and stored] and the comparison of this particular process in the production of steel,” he said.

I like John Kerry, but he looks utterly ridiculous. Quite simply, Americans have a vested interest in stopping that coal mine.

Wiki says this:

According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA), there were 853 coal mines in the U.S. in 2015, producing a total of 896,941,000 short tons of coal.[1]

But apparently we are at fault for allowing 1.

I don't actually blame the hatchet-faced hypocritical turd for thinking he runs the UK's energy policy (in favour of American commercial interests), I blame our own politicians for skipping down the primrose path of going along with everything the US has wanted for decades now. I would include Thatcher in this, though of course she did also have a strong personal belief in the transatlantic relationship.

Where we are now is with a US that feels it can openly disrupt Britain's attempts to grow economically and compete fairly in global markets. Where is Kerry's 'examination' into German coal mines, or Chinese ones? Improbable as it seems, Rishi needs to discover some testicles and clarify that our relationship with America is that of two sovereign allies.
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,761
    malcolmg said:

Lol, fcking Food Pantries! Hyacinth Bouquet was a Tory for sure.

Nice how you're completely ignoring the good thing she's done.
    Only a Tory could think opening more foodbanks is doing good, unbelievable. When do the workhouses open.
    As soon as strikes have been banned.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,455
    This thread has been sent to the foodbank.
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,761
    I hope AI doesn’t replace my job. I’m retired, and it’s the best job I’ve ever had.
  • TresTres Posts: 2,650
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Bender:

Leela:

Bender:

Leela:
    Yep.
    It’s absolutely scary

Ten seconds later

ChatGPT:
    French:

Bender:

Leela:

Bender:

Leela:
    Oui.

Hebrew:

בנדר:

לילה:

בנדר:

לילה:
    כן.

Japanese:

ベンダー:

リーラ:

ベンダー:

リーラ:
    そうです。

did you wet yourself this much the first time you discovered search engines?
    tlg86 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/dec/10/john-kerry-examining-likely-impact-of-new-uk-coalmine

John Kerry, the US climate official, has said he is closely examining the UK government’s approval of a new coalmine, over concerns that it will raise greenhouse gas emissions and send the wrong signal to developing countries.

“Coal is not exactly the direction that the world is trying to move in, or needs to move in. What I want to know is the level of abatement here [such as whether the resulting greenhouse gases will be captured and stored] and the comparison of this particular process in the production of steel,” he said.

I like John Kerry, but he looks utterly ridiculous. Quite simply, Americans have a vested interest in stopping that coal mine.

"Sending a signal" really gets blown into the worst of all evils thesedays. It's a single mine for christ's sake, right decision or not it is not a massive deal.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,250

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Bender:

Leela:

Bender:

Leela:
    Yep.
    It’s absolutely scary

Ten seconds later

ChatGPT:
    French:

Bender:

Leela:

Bender:

Leela:
    Oui.

Hebrew:

בנדר:

לילה:

בנדר:

לילה:
    כן.

Japanese:

ベンダー:

リーラ:

ベンダー:

リーラ:
    そうです。

I hate agreeing with you, Leon!
    Yesterday I asked it to write me some Welsh poetry. It did (and provided me with a translation).
    I don't speak Welsh, but my Welsh sister-in-law said not only did it correctly use mutations which are different in poetry and prose, it used some poetic techniques which are very difficult to do.
    It’s the final curtain for translators and interpreters. Been coming for a while but the tech is now near-perfect
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,849
    algarkirk said:

DougSeal said:

kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

Bet accordingly.

IIRC he’s a Doctor of the Church, not a
    saint.
    You can be both. Like St Thomas Aquinas. Don't know if Bede made the cut. (He was
    of course Northumbrian.)

Isn’t he the Venerable Bede?

That’s only stage 1… stage 2 (beatification) is Blessed and stage 3 (canonisation) is Saint
  • TresTres Posts: 2,650
    Carnyx said:

This thread has been sent to the foodbank.

The new thread is awaiting a response from the benefits office.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,677
    kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

Bet accordingly.

From Leaverstan though, so fuck him.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,260
    kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

New Scottish independence poll, Find Out Now 1-8 Dec (+/- 23-26 Mar 21 / +/- IndyRef1 2014):

Yes 54% (+2 / +9)
    No 46% (-2 / -9)

As relevant as polling on Santa's reindeer at present given the Supreme Court confirmed the UK government and Westminster can refuse indyref2 indefinitely. This Tory government will certainly never allow indyref2.

Though really little change from the 50% 50% before anyway excluding undecideds
    A supposed “Unionist” doesn’t care if people support the Union.

If you spent some time making the Union less unpopular then the Union might be on steadier ground.
    I care about respecting the 2014 referendum once in a generation result unlike you Nationalists.

A "generation" in politics is generally considered to be a group of people who come of age and enter politics at a similar time. The length of a generation in politics can vary depending on a number of factors, such as the average lifespan of individuals, the rate of political turnover, and the rate of social and political change. In general, a generation in politics might last anywhere from a few decades to several generations, and the exact length of a generation is difficult to determine. Some people might consider a generation in politics to be a group of people who enter politics within a certain time period, such as 10 or 20 years, while others might consider a generation to be a group of people who share similar experiences and political views. Ultimately, the concept of a generation in politics is somewhat subjective and can be defined in different ways.

Once, there was a journalist named Cyclefree who was commissioned to write a piece comparing three activities: watching the cricket, feeding the birds, and rubbing poo in your face like that there IanB2.

Cyclefree wasn't sure what to make of the assignment, but she knew she had to deliver a high-quality article. She decided to start by researching each activity and learning more about them.

First, Cyclefree looked into watching the cricket. She learned that cricket is a popular sport played between two teams of eleven players each. The teams take turns batting and fielding, and the goal is to score more runs than the other team. Cyclefree also learned that cricket has a rich history and a large following around the world, particularly in countries where the sport is more popular, such as England and Australia.

Next, Cyclefree researched feeding the birds. She learned that many people enjoy feeding birds as a way to attract them to their gardens and backyards. There are many different types of bird feeders and birdseed available, and people often find it rewarding to watch the birds come and go.

Finally, Cyclefree turned her attention to the strange and mysterious activity of rubbing poo in your face like that there IanB2. She was unable to find any information or examples of this activity, and she began to wonder if it was even a real thing. She decided to contact IanB2 and ask for more details.

When IanB2 replied to Cyclefree's email, he explained that rubbing poo in your face was a private hobby he did with his only friend, a dog. He apologized for any confusion and wished Cyclefree luck with her article.

Despite IanB2's explanation, Cyclefree was determined to include the activity of rubbing poo in her article. She decided to approach it from a humorous angle, and she wrote a satirical piece comparing the absurdity of rubbing poo in your face with the more mainstream activities of watching the cricket and feeding the birds.

The moderator of website politicalbetting.com was impressed with Cyclefree's unique take on the assignment, and the article was published on the website the following week. It quickly became a popular and controversial piece, with many readers expressing shock and amusement at the idea of rubbing poo in your face.

In the end, Cyclefree decided to try rubbing poo on her own face, and to her surprise, she found that she enjoyed it. She concluded her article by encouraging others to give it a try and see for themselves the strange and wondrous effects of rubbing poo on your face.

Hello @Leon

Or is it Chat GP?

Leon’s prose isn’t usually so leaden - so the latter.
    I do think that Leon added the last paragraph himself though.
    No I didn’t. ChatGPT did that. Quite a good ending
    This Cyclefree person is now going to be forever linked to facial poo rubbing in AI world.

The real Cyclefree is off instead to the local Xmas market and then collecting her reconditioned bicycle. It is not in fact snow dusting North London but frost. The day is gorgeous if hardly ideal cycling weather. I should be driving up north but I don't want to risk a drive in the dark over the icy fells.
    You can't be the only one on here with better things to do on a Saturday than to try and get an AI bot to talk about poo rubbing on the faces of anonymous internet posters.

Maybe @Leon should get a dog.
    AI is the subject of the moment. It is potentially the biggest story in human history and it is happening NOW

“ChatGPT is a development on par with the printing press, electricity and even the wheel and fire, says former US Treasury Secretary @LHSummers

@DavidWestin has more on “Wall Street Week,” airing Fridays at 6 pm ET trib.al/CcA6BmS”

https://twitter.com/bloombergtv/status/1601239565825712133?s=46&t=3Y06il9QwLnb67eYNcVUcA
    It might be for you, but I'm off to a winter beer festival, then a chilli and then watching the football with friends.
    So you’ve come on PB to tell us exactly why you’re not on PB

Makes sense
    Nope because:

a) I haven't gone yet

b) I was clearly referring to the endless whittering on about AI and not about being on PB.

c) Making the point that AI is not the most important thing in my life, nor most people's lives

But otherwise you got it spot on.
    C ) it is, actually. You just don’t realise

B ) wittering. No “h”

A ) Bye
    a) Still haven't gone

b) It can be spelt either way. Try asking your AI m/c

c) Try asking the average human. Not only is it not the most important thing, they don't actually know what it is. The most important thing in people's lives are things like climate change, not getting killed if you live in Ukraine and much of the 3rd world, or the World Cup for much of the first world. And in my case, currently getting to the beer festival. Really looking forward to those winter warmers on a day like this.
    This is what I've been trying to say. Interesting but no gamechanger unless it impacts on the big global issues.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,426
    kle4 said:

I should think American Football is safe regardless. "Please Americam, don't get into soccer"

The tragedy of soccer taking off in the US is that it would flatten and corrode one of the best things about America: its splendid sporting culture. Even worse, you’d probably end up being really good at it.

As a Brit, I love American sports culture because of how absurdly and uniquely American it is. I love that you call your national baseball championship the World Series with a straight face. I love that people will fly 2,000 miles just to watch their local college play in a university basketball match. I love that eight of the ten biggest sport stadiums in the entire world are dedicated to amateur college football. I adore the language and the lore: the Big House, March Madness, the Red River Showdown

https://spectatorworld.com/life/please-america-get-soccer-world-cup/

Amateur college football is a zillion dollar industry dedicated to making everyone rich. Apart from the players.

After a few scandals, some brave universities have actually enforced teaching the athletes to read and write, as opposed to dumping them with no skills when they get injured.

When someone suggested ending “sports scholarships”, it was pointed out that this would collapse African American numbers at a number of universities.

College sport in America - exploitation, drugs and bullshit with a topping of racism.
This discussion has been closed.