Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

So far ministers are struggling with public opinion over the strikes – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,768
    Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

New Scottish independence poll, Find Out Now 1-8 Dec (+/- 23-26 Mar 21 / +/- IndyRef1 2014):

Yes 54% (+2 / +9)
    No 46% (-2 / -9)

As relevant as polling on Santa's reindeer at present given the Supreme Court confirmed the UK government and Westminster can refuse indyref2 indefinitely. This Tory government will certainly never allow indyref2.

Though really little change from the 50% 50% before anyway excluding undecideds
    A supposed “Unionist” doesn’t care if people support the Union.

If you spent some time making the Union less unpopular then the Union might be on steadier ground.
    I care about respecting the 2014 referendum once in a generation result unlike you Nationalists.

A "generation" in politics is generally considered to be a group of people who come of age and enter politics at a similar time. The length of a generation in politics can vary depending on a number of factors, such as the average lifespan of individuals, the rate of political turnover, and the rate of social and political change. In general, a generation in politics might last anywhere from a few decades to several generations, and the exact length of a generation is difficult to determine. Some people might consider a generation in politics to be a group of people who enter politics within a certain time period, such as 10 or 20 years, while others might consider a generation to be a group of people who share similar experiences and political views. Ultimately, the concept of a generation in politics is somewhat subjective and can be defined in different ways.

Once, there was a journalist named Cyclefree who was commissioned to write a piece comparing three activities: watching the cricket, feeding the birds, and rubbing poo in your face like that there IanB2.

Cyclefree wasn't sure what to make of the assignment, but she knew she had to deliver a high-quality article. She decided to start by researching each activity and learning more about them.

First, Cyclefree looked into watching the cricket. She learned that cricket is a popular sport played between two teams of eleven players each. The teams take turns batting and fielding, and the goal is to score more runs than the other team. Cyclefree also learned that cricket has a rich history and a large following around the world, particularly in countries where the sport is more popular, such as England and Australia.

Next, Cyclefree researched feeding the birds. She learned that many people enjoy feeding birds as a way to attract them to their gardens and backyards. There are many different types of bird feeders and birdseed available, and people often find it rewarding to watch the birds come and go.

Finally, Cyclefree turned her attention to the strange and mysterious activity of rubbing poo in your face like that there IanB2. She was unable to find any information or examples of this activity, and she began to wonder if it was even a real thing. She decided to contact IanB2 and ask for more details.

When IanB2 replied to Cyclefree's email, he explained that rubbing poo in your face was a private hobby he did with his only friend, a dog. He apologized for any confusion and wished Cyclefree luck with her article.

Despite IanB2's explanation, Cyclefree was determined to include the activity of rubbing poo in her article. She decided to approach it from a humorous angle, and she wrote a satirical piece comparing the absurdity of rubbing poo in your face with the more mainstream activities of watching the cricket and feeding the birds.

The moderator of website politicalbetting.com was impressed with Cyclefree's unique take on the assignment, and the article was published on the website the following week. It quickly became a popular and controversial piece, with many readers expressing shock and amusement at the idea of rubbing poo in your face.

In the end, Cyclefree decided to try rubbing poo on her own face, and to her surprise, she found that she enjoyed it. She concluded her article by encouraging others to give it a try and see for themselves the strange and wondrous effects of rubbing poo on your face.

Hello @Leon

Or is it Chat GP?

Leon’s prose isn’t usually so leaden - so the latter.
  • Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Cookie said:

IanB2 said:

Cookie said:

DJ41 said:

Here's an example of the intense World Cup interest in the US: https://patterico.com/2022/12/09/today-in-world-cup-action/

There is, granted, more interest among the young in the US, many of whom have actually played soccer. Those over, say, forty, may have an anthropological interest in the games, and wonder why corruption is so tolerated, and why those strange folks overseas care so much about this particular game.

Does anyone in the US think corruption in sports is anything special, given say the continuing story of major league US baseball (in which the corruption dates back at least to Arnold Rothstein) and internationally the Olympics in which practically all the competitors cheat like hell by taking performance-enhancing drugs? It's organised sport. Doesn't everyone expect it to be filthily corrupt?

Anthropologically I find the interest in cricket interesting though. Talk about an acquired taste. It's true that anything can be interesting if you get into it enough, even throwing dog turds at a wall, and to some extent one has to be sympathetic in many cases to blokes who've gone doolally and don't realise. (Only in many cases, mind. No sympathy for that football fan who stuck a lit flare up his bum for his country.)
    It's only really an aquired taste if your starting point of what a sport should be like is football.
    Personally, as a spectacle, I would rank them thus:
    1) Cricket
    2) Throwing dog turds at a wall (there definitely sounds mileage in that)
    3) Football.

I would slot rugby in below cricket, and tennis and motor racing in below football.

As a sport, football has the advantage that it's very accessible, both to play and to understand. The downside to this when watching is that it feels like the whole set up has been put together by seven year old boys.
    You must be eligible for some sort of mental health intervention, with a grip on reality as fragile as that?

Two men running up and down while a load of others go fetch the ball, as top ‘spectacle’? Priceless comedy!
    For most spectators the bowling and batting is the attraction rather thsn the running between wickets and fielding, but yes.
    Watching a batsman hit a ball heading towards him at 90mph with the accuracy and power to reach the boundary is one of the 'wow' moments of sport. As is watching a ball hit wickets, or a dramatic catch.
    And this is done within the context of a longer tactical and strategic battle.
    No other sport comes close.
    That said, I do concede there is a time investment needed that there isn't with many other sports.
    When those bored medieval Dutch children got home, babbling about their new game, the correct response would have been "that's nice, dear", and that should have been an end to it.
    No idea what you are on about. Cricket is widely thought to have originated in SE England. Certainly England is where it became the game we love today.
    ChatGPT knows what I am on about:

While cricket is believed to have originated in England, there is evidence that the game was influenced by earlier bat-and-ball games that were played in the Low Countries (also known as the Netherlands and Belgium). These games, which were popular among children and adults alike, were likely similar to cricket in terms of the basic principles and rules of the game. The first recorded cricket match was played in the 16th century in the Weald, a region of southeast England. It is likely that the English version of cricket evolved from these earlier games, although the exact origins of the sport remain unclear.
    Bat and ball and football games are pretty universal, but surely these sports only emerged in their modern forms when codified in the 18th and 19th Centuries?
    yes chaotic fun was not approved of in Victorian England - fun must have rules and etiquette was the thinking ! Hence the codification . Think the family member at Christmas who always insists Monopoly must be played to the rules in the leaflet and checks every 5 minutes the sheet
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,582
    Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

New Scottish independence poll, Find Out Now 1-8 Dec (+/- 23-26 Mar 21 / +/- IndyRef1 2014):

Yes 54% (+2 / +9)
    No 46% (-2 / -9)

As relevant as polling on Santa's reindeer at present given the Supreme Court confirmed the UK government and Westminster can refuse indyref2 indefinitely. This Tory government will certainly never allow indyref2.

If you spent some time making the Union less unpopular then the Union might be on steadier ground.
    I care about respecting the 2014 referendum once in a generation result unlike you Nationalists.

A "generation" in politics is generally considered to be a group of people who come of age and enter politics at a similar time. The length of a generation in politics can vary depending on a number of factors, such as the average lifespan of individuals, the rate of political turnover, and the rate of social and political change. In general, a generation in politics might last anywhere from a few decades to several generations, and the exact length of a generation is difficult to determine. Some people might consider a generation in politics to be a group of people who enter politics within a certain time period, such as 10 or 20 years, while others might consider a generation to be a group of people who share similar experiences and political views. Ultimately, the concept of a generation in politics is somewhat subjective and can be defined in different ways.

Once, there was a journalist named Cyclefree who was commissioned to write a piece comparing three activities: watching the cricket, feeding the birds, and rubbing poo in your face like that there IanB2.

Cyclefree wasn't sure what to make of the assignment, but she knew she had to deliver a high-quality article. She decided to start by researching each activity and learning more about them.

First, Cyclefree looked into watching the cricket. She learned that cricket is a popular sport played between two teams of eleven players each. The teams take turns batting and fielding, and the goal is to score more runs than the other team. Cyclefree also learned that cricket has a rich history and a large following around the world, particularly in countries where the sport is more popular, such as England and Australia.

Next, Cyclefree researched feeding the birds. She learned that many people enjoy feeding birds as a way to attract them to their gardens and backyards. There are many different types of bird feeders and birdseed available, and people often find it rewarding to watch the birds come and go.

Finally, Cyclefree turned her attention to the strange and mysterious activity of rubbing poo in your face like that there IanB2. She was unable to find any information or examples of this activity, and she began to wonder if it was even a real thing. She decided to contact IanB2 and ask for more details.

When IanB2 replied to Cyclefree's email, he explained that rubbing poo in your face was a private hobby he did with his only friend, a dog. He apologized for any confusion and wished Cyclefree luck with her article.

Despite IanB2's explanation, Cyclefree was determined to include the activity of rubbing poo in her article. She decided to approach it from a humorous angle, and she wrote a satirical piece comparing the absurdity of rubbing poo in your face with the more mainstream activities of watching the cricket and feeding the birds.

The moderator of website politicalbetting.com was impressed with Cyclefree's unique take on the assignment, and the article was published on the website the following week. It quickly became a popular and controversial piece, with many readers expressing shock and amusement at the idea of rubbing poo in your face.

In the end, Cyclefree decided to try rubbing poo on her own face, and to her surprise, she found that she enjoyed it. She concluded her article by encouraging others to give it a try and see for themselves the strange and wondrous effects of rubbing poo on your face.

Hello @Leon

Or is it Chat GP?

This person Leon may use inappropriate or offensive language and make unfounded or inaccurate predictions about political events or issues. They may also engage in inflammatory or provocative behavior, causing conflict and disruption among other members of the website. Overall, this person is likely to be seen as a negative and divisive presence on the political discussion website, and their contributions may be met with criticism and backlash from other members of the community.
  • BozzaBozza Posts: 37
    ydoethur said:

Bozza said:

HYUFD said:

Bozza said:

Carnyx said:

I presume this indypolling is off the back of the Supreme Court's "insult to Scotland" ruling.

Worth noting it's also a free hit now that such a poll can't be held.

Entirely expected.

It can be held. The only obstructions are UKG and Westminster. Which the court case showed very clearly. So you see ...
    It can't be held. Hence the backlash.

Must hurt.
    Although of course with Starmer in Sturgeon's pocket there is a danger, were the Conservatives not to win the next two General Elections.
    I expect Starmer to grant indyref2 if Labour win within 5 to 10 years even if they got a majority.

As I said they would use Brown's devomax plans as the basis for their offer to Scotland.

It certainly won't happen under a Conservative government though
    Starmer cannot be allowed to destroy the Union. Whatever it takes, the Labour Party, with or without their SNP backers, must be stopped from entering into Government. Only the Conservatives can save the Union.

There is a very real existential threat to the United Kingdom. Very troubling.
    Yes, proposing a coup is an undoubted existential threat to the United Kingdom. 100% agree with you on that.
    I certainly didn't propose a coup d'et at. We must use all our wit and wisdom to ensure only Conservative good governance prevails until the dusk of time.
  • GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,860
    Leon said:

Light dusting of snow in north London. Bitterly cold

A thin blanket in Manchester. It’ll thin to sleet soon though.
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Ghedebrav said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

M45 said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

The second save by the Argentina keeper was really something. The first wasn’t a great pen, but incredible reactions (and powerful wrists) on the second.

What a day of football this has been. Just wonderful. I love this game.

Fair play to FIFA. They have secured themselves an incredible tournament

Everything bad is forgotten as the soccer amazes. No one cares about Qatar or migrants or Pride Armbands or any of that any more. Give us bread and brilliant circuses
    I don’t think that’s true. The prevailing view that I see (though tbh that is fairly small seeing as I’ve jacked in social media) is “great tournament, shame about the hosts”. I think I said summat similar on the last thread.

And really the quality of the tournament has nowt to do with FIFA. It’s down to the players. It is bloody good though. More to come tomorrow.

I'm not really giving FIFA credit. I reckon they just got lucky

Something about the early winter timing has amped the footie. Dunno. But it is great. And for this reason the negatives WILL be largely forgotten

FIFA must be eyeing up S E Asia. Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam, Thailand, etc. All football mad yet no sniff of a Cup ever, and home to 500m people

You Brits who are not AWOL sunning your pale, frail carcasses on some sun-drenched rock (or beach), are prisoners in your own country, confined indoors by compressed hours of daylight under gray skies with soggy shoes outdoors.

AND you have no Thanksgiving (feeling nothing much to feel thankful for) to take the late-fall/early-winter edge off.
    Not true. The Scots have St Andrew's Day.
    And Hogmanay.
    And 2nd January.
    And Burns Night.
    If 2 Jan counts at all it counts as part of Hogmanay. Burns was a talentless twat, not in the top 100 of British poets. If you enjoy sharing that fact with the Swedes, crack on. He was probably not markedly worse than the likes of Erik Axel Karlfeldt.
    I'm sure you are a peerless literary critic, so I'd love to see you justifying your claim that Burns is a talentless twat. He wrote a lot so I suppose there is a variety in terms of quality but his best work in my opinion stands up against anyone's.
    He's not talentless, but he is not a front rank poet. Jolly good second division player, I'd say

I do love "John Anderson, my Jo"

Edit: I've just seen a website that compares Burns to Betjeman, and that is splendidly accurate. Both are beloved for portraying aspects of their nation, both are gifted at lyrical rhyme, and easy to remember - yet neither touches anything like the heights of a Keats, Larkin, Hopkins, Plath, Milton, Frost, et al
    It's a matter of taste I suppose, and I'm probably more into quite direct rather than overly reflective writing, but I think there is both power and subtlety as well as striking and beautiful language in poems like for a' that or to a louse. I'm certainly not an expert on poetry but my mum is and she rates Burns highly. I think a lot of people fall into the trap of seeing Burns as the poetic equivalent of a shortbread tin, but there's a lot more to him than that.
    He is a great poet, witty, wry and romantic.

Burns Night conveniently fills a need for a late January booze up with friends. I always celebrate it despite my Scottish ancestry being rather dilute.
    Part of the problem is that he often wrote in Scots and a lot of people aren't familiar with the grammar and vocabulary. But that's their loss.

There were huge tensions within his personality and within his reputation, even in his own time. Which makes him an interesting guy. It's no coincidence there are surprisingly few statues to him, given the timing of the general Victorian statue mania and the fact that one needed money to put the things up. Christopher Whatley wrote an interesting book 'Immortal memory' on the issue.

https://www.euppublishing.com/doi/full/10.3366/jshs.2019.0280
    Arguably, the best comparison would be with Kipling. Although I personally think Burns' output was overall better than Kipling's.
    Would it ?
    Kipling was a very different kind of writer. And he was a poet of empire rather than exclusively England.
    Kipling was a great kids’ writer first, a decent (if stodgy) novelist and prose writer second, and a pleasing illustrator third. His poetry is cringeworthy; the poetic equivalent of Beryl Cook or Jack Vettriano - bafflingly popular pastiche.

Lest we forget of course, he does make exceedingly good cakes.
    Killing is rather out of fashion because of being so embedded in ideas of late Victorian Empire. Great writer nonetheless to get an understanding of the mentality of the Times. The past is a foreign country.
    Glorious Freudian slip!
    And surely one turns to the Times for an understanding of the mentality of the Times ?
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,741
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Ghedebrav said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

M45 said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

The second save by the Argentina keeper was really something. The first wasn’t a great pen, but incredible reactions (and powerful wrists) on the second.

Everything bad is forgotten as the soccer amazes. No one cares about Qatar or migrants or Pride Armbands or any of that any more. Give us bread and brilliant circuses
    I don’t think that’s true. The prevailing view that I see (though tbh that is fairly small seeing as I’ve jacked in social media) is “great tournament, shame about the hosts”. I think I said summat similar on the last thread.

And really the quality of the tournament has nowt to do with FIFA. It’s down to the players. It is bloody good though. More to come tomorrow.

Something about the early winter timing has amped the footie. Dunno. But it is great. And for this reason the negatives WILL be largely forgotten

FIFA must be eyeing up S E Asia. Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam, Thailand, etc. All football mad yet no sniff of a Cup ever, and home to 500m people

You Brits who are not AWOL sunning your pale, frail carcasses on some sun-drenched rock (or beach), are prisoners in your own country, confined indoors by compressed hours of daylight under gray skies with soggy shoes outdoors.

AND you have no Thanksgiving (feeling nothing much to feel thankful for) to take the late-fall/early-winter edge off.
    And Hogmanay.
    And 2nd January.
    And Burns Night.
    If 2 Jan counts at all it counts as part of Hogmanay. Burns was a talentless twat, not in the top 100 of British poets. If you enjoy sharing that fact with the Swedes, crack on. He was probably not markedly worse than the likes of Erik Axel Karlfeldt.
    I'm sure you are a peerless literary critic, so I'd love to see you justifying your claim that Burns is a talentless twat. He wrote a lot so I suppose there is a variety in terms of quality but his best work in my opinion stands up against anyone's.
    He's not talentless, but he is not a front rank poet. Jolly good second division player, I'd say

Edit: I've just seen a website that compares Burns to Betjeman, and that is splendidly accurate. Both are beloved for portraying aspects of their nation, both are gifted at lyrical rhyme, and easy to remember - yet neither touches anything like the heights of a Keats, Larkin, Hopkins, Plath, Milton, Frost, et al
    It's a matter of taste I suppose, and I'm probably more into quite direct rather than overly reflective writing, but I think there is both power and subtlety as well as striking and beautiful language in poems like for a' that or to a louse. I'm certainly not an expert on poetry but my mum is and she rates Burns highly. I think a lot of people fall into the trap of seeing Burns as the poetic equivalent of a shortbread tin, but there's a lot more to him than that.

Burns Night conveniently fills a need for a late January booze up with friends. I always celebrate it despite my Scottish ancestry being rather dilute.
    Part of the problem is that he often wrote in Scots and a lot of people aren't familiar with the grammar and vocabulary. But that's their loss.

There were huge tensions within his personality and within his reputation, even in his own time. Which makes him an interesting guy. It's no coincidence there are surprisingly few statues to him, given the timing of the general Victorian statue mania and the fact that one needed money to put the things up. Christopher Whatley wrote an interesting book 'Immortal memory' on the issue.

Arguably, the best comparison would be with Kipling. Although I personally think Burns' output was overall better than Kipling's.
    Would it ?
    Kipling was a very different kind of writer. And he was a poet of empire rather than exclusively England.
    Kipling was a great kids’ writer first, a decent (if stodgy) novelist and prose writer second, and a pleasing illustrator third. His poetry is cringeworthy; the poetic equivalent of Beryl Cook or Jack Vettriano - bafflingly popular pastiche.

Lest we forget of course, he does make exceedingly good cakes.
    Killing is rather out of fashion because of being so embedded in ideas of late Victorian Empire. Great writer nonetheless to get an understanding of the mentality of the Times. The past is a foreign country.
    Glorious Freudian slip!
    Indeed 😀
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,517
    Bozza said:

HYUFD said:

Bozza said:

Carnyx said:

I presume this indypolling is off the back of the Supreme Court's "insult to Scotland" ruling.

Entirely expected.

It can be held. The only obstructions are UKG and Westminster. Which the court case showed very clearly. So you see ...

Must hurt.
    Although of course with Starmer in Sturgeon's pocket there is a danger, were the Conservatives not to win the next two General Elections.
    I expect Starmer to grant indyref2 if Labour win within 5 to 10 years even if they got a majority.

As I said they would use Brown's devomax plans as the basis for their offer to Scotland.

Starmer cannot be allowed to destroy the Union. Whatever it takes, the Labour Party, with or without their SNP backers, must be stopped from entering into Government. Only the Conservatives can save the Union.

What do you propose then? A coup? Just trying to find out your position.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,632
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Bozza said:

Carnyx said:

Entirely expected.

Must hurt.
    I thouight Mr Starmer was supposed to be in the Unions' pocket yesterday?
    That's Sir Keirto us plebs.
    At least I'm showing him a modicum of respect, unlike the previous poster. While bearing Burns in mind:

A Prince can mak a belted knight,
    A marquis, duke, an a that!
    But an honest man’s aboon his might –
    Guid faith, he mauna fa that!
    For a that, an a that,
    Their dignities, an a that,
    The pith o Sense an pride o Worth
    Are higher rank than a that.
    Trust me, Clara Vere de Vere,
    ⁠From yon blue heavens above us bent
    The gardener Adam and his wife
    ⁠Smile at the claims of long descent.
    Howe'er it be, it seems to me,
    ⁠'Tis only noble to be good.
    Kind hearts are more than coronets,
    ⁠And simple faith than Norman blood.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,455

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Cookie said:

IanB2 said:

Cookie said:

DJ41 said:

Here's an example of the intense World Cup interest in the US: https://patterico.com/2022/12/09/today-in-world-cup-action/

There is, granted, more interest among the young in the US, many of whom have actually played soccer. Those over, say, forty, may have an anthropological interest in the games, and wonder why corruption is so tolerated, and why those strange folks overseas care so much about this particular game.

Does anyone in the US think corruption in sports is anything special, given say the continuing story of major league US baseball (in which the corruption dates back at least to Arnold Rothstein) and internationally the Olympics in which practically all the competitors cheat like hell by taking performance-enhancing drugs? It's organised sport. Doesn't everyone expect it to be filthily corrupt?

Anthropologically I find the interest in cricket interesting though. Talk about an acquired taste. It's true that anything can be interesting if you get into it enough, even throwing dog turds at a wall, and to some extent one has to be sympathetic in many cases to blokes who've gone doolally and don't realise. (Only in many cases, mind. No sympathy for that football fan who stuck a lit flare up his bum for his country.)
    It's only really an aquired taste if your starting point of what a sport should be like is football.
    1) Cricket
    3) Football.

I would slot rugby in below cricket, and tennis and motor racing in below football.

As a sport, football has the advantage that it's very accessible, both to play and to understand. The downside to this when watching is that it feels like the whole set up has been put together by seven year old boys.
    You must be eligible for some sort of mental health intervention, with a grip on reality as fragile as that?

Two men running up and down while a load of others go fetch the ball, as top ‘spectacle’? Priceless comedy!
    For most spectators the bowling and batting is the attraction rather thsn the running between wickets and fielding, but yes.
    Watching a batsman hit a ball heading towards him at 90mph with the accuracy and power to reach the boundary is one of the 'wow' moments of sport. As is watching a ball hit wickets, or a dramatic catch.
    That said, I do concede there is a time investment needed that there isn't with many other sports.
    When those bored medieval Dutch children got home, babbling about their new game, the correct response would have been "that's nice, dear", and that should have been an end to it.
    No idea what you are on about. Cricket is widely thought to have originated in SE England. Certainly England is where it became the game we love today.

While cricket is believed to have originated in England, there is evidence that the game was influenced by earlier bat-and-ball games that were played in the Low Countries (also known as the Netherlands and Belgium). These games, which were popular among children and adults alike, were likely similar to cricket in terms of the basic principles and rules of the game. The first recorded cricket match was played in the 16th century in the Weald, a region of southeast England. It is likely that the English version of cricket evolved from these earlier games, although the exact origins of the sport remain unclear.
    Bat and ball and football games are pretty universal, but surely these sports only emerged in their modern forms when codified in the 18th and 19th Centuries?
    yes chaotic fun was not approved of in Victorian England - fun must have rules and etiquette was the thinking ! Hence the codification . Think the family member at Christmas who always insists Monopoly must be played to the rules in the leaflet and checks every 5 minutes the sheet
    Talking about Monopoly, I got a marketing email from the Tank Museum. Apparently they have Tank Museum's own boxing of Monopoly now, so you can accumulate a stable of assorted Panzers and rent them out (not quite sure how thaty works). Would definitely suit several PBers for Christmas.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,003
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Argentina through, Netherlands out and Argentina perhaps favourites now with Brazil and Germany already out, maybe v France in the final. Still hoping for England of course

Hopefully it will be Argentina v France or Argentina v England

A really worthy final. Europe v S America

Messi v Mbappe or Messi v The Young Jude Bellingham

The old v the new. The ageing superstar against the young superstar or the coming superstar

Perfect
    Pope Francis will be fervently hoping for a win for Argentina, his home nation as a big football fan.

Messi also a devout Roman Catholic so a coup for the Vatican if Argentina win
    What rot. You might as well say that Knight being caught allegedly up to dodgy business was a blow for the Vatican.
    No it would be a boost for them be sure, Pope Francis will be photographed in Argentine shirt watching the game and will invite Messi and the team to the Papal Apartments as soon as possible after a win.

A win for a largely Roman Catholic team in a Muslim majority country and defeat for increasingly irreligious France and heretic Protestant heritage and irreligious England and Germany would also be seen as divine intervention. Just the pity Catholic Italy and Brazil did not get through
    You forget that football is an appallingly frivolous and wasteful pastime in the view of the proper Christian traditions.
    Indeed.

Good Christians play cricket and rugby.

Albeit not usually at the same time.
    Middle class British and White Commonwealth Anglicans maybe not Roman Catholics
    The Scots round here would be very surprised by that. Plenty of working class Presbyterians and atheists for both.
    Far more Scottish Presbyterian and atheist working class football fans and players than rugby union and cricket fans and players
    You're moving the goalpostds yet again, not to mention the wickets.
    I'm not, Rugby Union players in Scotland are more likely to be middle class Anglican historically with some Presbyterians, football players more likely to be Roman Catholic or Presbyterian
    You've never been to the Borders, then, I can tell.
    He will never have been north of the M25.

Morning Carnyx, cold and frosty in the west , but looks like it will be a lovely day , blue sky and sun. Heating on full blast.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,426
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

That German “coup” is a lot more serious than we are allowing. Arrests are “ongoing” and involve 3000 police

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/dec/09/celebrity-chef-suspects-germany-rightwing-coup-plot-reichsburger

What I said at the time. Just because their objectives were ridiculous and absurd does not mean that they were not organised and serious. Look at the Mullahs in Iran. Completely bonkers yet they have had power for 50 years now. America even elected their nutter and are supposedly thinking about doing it again (they won't).
    The more you read on the German lot, the more they seem like the Aum Shinrikyo. A cult divorced from reality and their fellow citizens, but with potentially murderous determination.

By comparison, the Mullahs in Iran were pushing at the open door of the Islamic Revival (the follow on to variations on nationalistic, secularist, vaguely socialistic dictatorships, in the region)
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,741
    Nigelb said:

Why doesn’t the UK government want us to know if ministers have taken gifts and freebies?
    MPs are being held to a much higher transparency standard than those who wield the most power. This is bonkers
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/dec/10/government-uk-ministers-gifts-mps-standards-chris-bryant

If as head of department I were to establish a VIP lane where friends and acquaintances could be bunged lucrative contracts, given priority and not be put up against competition, would I still be in my job?
  • HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Should Lady Hussey have resigned?

Yes
    All adults 45%
    Remainers 63%
    Leavers 32%
    https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1601308851592392704?t=MTLst537suJdOGW7FMAGDw&s=19

Counting the DKs as No again, I see. Giving the completely wrong impression.

What you soooo carefully left out is that only 26% of all adults said no, with12% DK and presumably the rest were DNR.
    It was more the Remainer Leaver divide I was focusing on
    But is it about Leave/Remain, or young/old? The first is Goodwin's ongoing thesis that there is a Real Britain that voted leave and is continually ignored by the metropolitan elite. The second is that mores have changed with the generations, as mores tend to do.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,250
    “Breaking: @ElonMusk @Twitter Files show Twitter activist employees, without basis, suppressed and censored the President of the United States, @realDonaldTrump in the days before the 2020 election. This is damning evidence of election interference.“

https://twitter.com/tomfitton/status/1601374495302119424?s=46&t=6RC_qjjpT8pbywlDko3CxA

“Unequivocally true. The evidence is clear and voluminous.”

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1601411486164799488?s=46&t=6RC_qjjpT8pbywlDko3CxA
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Argentina through, Netherlands out and Argentina perhaps favourites now with Brazil and Germany already out, maybe v France in the final. Still hoping for England of course

The old v the new. The ageing superstar against the young superstar or the coming superstar

Perfect
    Pope Francis will be fervently hoping for a win for Argentina, his home nation as a big football fan.

What rot. You might as well say that Knight being caught allegedly up to dodgy business was a blow for the Vatican.
    No it would be a boost for them be sure, Pope Francis will be photographed in Argentine shirt watching the game and will invite Messi and the team to the Papal Apartments as soon as possible after a win.

A win for a largely Roman Catholic team in a Muslim majority country and defeat for increasingly irreligious France and heretic Protestant heritage and irreligious England and Germany would also be seen as divine intervention. Just the pity Catholic Italy and Brazil did not get through
    You forget that football is an appallingly frivolous and wasteful pastime in the view of the proper Christian traditions.
    Indeed.

The Scots round here would be very surprised by that. Plenty of working class Presbyterians and atheists for both.
    Far more Scottish Presbyterian and atheist working class football fans and players than rugby union and cricket fans and players
    I'm not, Rugby Union players in Scotland are more likely to be middle class Anglican historically with some Presbyterians, football players more likely to be Roman Catholic or Presbyterian

Morning Carnyx, cold and frosty in the west , but looks like it will be a lovely day , blue sky and sun. Heating on full blast.
    The frost hasn't melted here for days. It just piles on top of older frost. Very pretty but bloody slippery.

Quite a contrast to the earlier autumn/winter.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,455
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Perfect

Indeed.

Morning Malky!

Snow showers hereabouts, with sun promised later.
    kjh said:

Bozza said:

HYUFD said:

Bozza said:

Carnyx said:

Entirely expected.

Must hurt.

What the Conservative Party need in an invincible campaigner. A Leader who wins election after election and who is loved and revered in equal measure by the voters of England.

A Spanish Armada of the stump if you like, but with a more appropriate finale.
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Yes 54% (+2 / +9)
    No 46% (-2 / -9)

Not on their Twitter feed. They have the one from 23rd November showing 50% support for the SNP instead. What is your source?

Incidentally I note you were unable to source your claims about vaccination rates.
    It's on Wiki.

Then what’s the source? Saying ‘it’s on Wiki’ and leaving it at that does not address the question. It would be like saying ‘Richard III never murdered his nephews’ and linking to an article edited by Johanna Haminga.

If it’s in Wikipedia it should have a source. If there is no source, perhaps it’s like the rest of Stuart’s output that is, made up.
    There is a source, on Wiki.
    If that's not good enough, you'll have to lay out the the ydoethur 12 factor verification threshold just so we know in advance.

https://twitter.com/BallotBoxScot/status/1601366980182781952?s=20&t=LeS3C6GZ14HSMwZuvpTsiw

Finally, a source, and a load of silly abuse for daring to ask for it despite the fact the initial poster has demonstrated he is a habitual liar and Wikipedia is infamously untrustworthy. The latter par for the course from the current Nationalist movement, sadly. The former anything but, so we make incremental progress.

I am puzzled however as to why it’s only available on the Twitter feed of a different organisation from the pollsters with no tables and nothing to say who commissioned it. Will be interesting to see that data which will presumably be coming through today.
    ydoethur, you are letting your Little Englander psyche shine a lot these days
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,548
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

That German “coup” is a lot more serious than we are allowing. Arrests are “ongoing” and involve 3000 police

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/dec/09/celebrity-chef-suspects-germany-rightwing-coup-plot-reichsburger

What I said at the time. Just because their objectives were ridiculous and absurd does not mean that they were not organised and serious. Look at the Mullahs in Iran. Completely bonkers yet they have had power for 50 years now. America even elected their nutter and are supposedly thinking about doing it again (they won't).
    Involving 3000 police is a little vague. I still think it is a bit early to be sure on how serious a threat this was.
  • TresTres Posts: 2,650
    Leon said:

“Breaking: @ElonMusk @Twitter Files show Twitter activist employees, without basis, suppressed and censored the President of the United States, @realDonaldTrump in the days before the 2020 election. This is damning evidence of election interference.“

https://twitter.com/tomfitton/status/1601374495302119424?s=46&t=6RC_qjjpT8pbywlDko3CxA

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1601411486164799488?s=46&t=6RC_qjjpT8pbywlDko3CxA

More Hunter Biden dick pics I guess?
    edited December 2022
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Yes 54% (+2 / +9)
    No 46% (-2 / -9)

Not on their Twitter feed. They have the one from 23rd November showing 50% support for the SNP instead. What is your source?

Incidentally I note you were unable to source your claims about vaccination rates.
    It's on Wiki.

Then what’s the source? Saying ‘it’s on Wiki’ and leaving it at that does not address the question. It would be like saying ‘Richard III never murdered his nephews’ and linking to an article edited by Johanna Haminga.

If it’s in Wikipedia it should have a source. If there is no source, perhaps it’s like the rest of Stuart’s output that is, made up.
    If that's not good enough, you'll have to lay out the the ydoethur 12 factor verification threshold just so we know in advance.

https://twitter.com/BallotBoxScot/status/1601366980182781952?s=20&t=LeS3C6GZ14HSMwZuvpTsiw

Finally, a source, and a load of silly abuse for daring to ask for it despite the fact the initial poster has demonstrated he is a habitual liar and Wikipedia is infamously untrustworthy. The latter par for the course from the current Nationalist movement, sadly. The former anything but, so we make incremental progress.

I am puzzled however as to why it’s only available on the Twitter feed of a different organisation from the pollsters with no tables and nothing to say who commissioned it. Will be interesting to see that data which will presumably be coming through today.
    Malc, in case you've forgotten, I'm not English.

I appreciate it's very wrong of me to call out a lot* of lying xenophobes for being such merely because they happen to be Scottish.

*well, OK, one on these boards, but he represents a big and disturbing strand in current Scottish politics despite living in Sweden.

DJ41 said:

Rivalries can be one way. For example, it is often important here for Seattle teams to beat teams from Los Angeles. But the reverse isn't true, so far as I know.

And when they aren't tearing up their city, Portland fans really want to beat Seattle, but again, the reverse isn't true.

Indeed. I've never heard of an English person who supports whatever team Scotland are playing against.
    My German colleagues were never much exercised by the thought of playing England.
    That was because they knew it would be an easy win.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Yes 54% (+2 / +9)
    No 46% (-2 / -9)

It's on Wiki.

I appreciate it's very wrong of me to call out a lot of lying xenophobes for being such merely because they happen to be Scottish.
    It’s a state of mind, not state or origin.*

*Works best in Australia, where the state of origin is a thing in RL.
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Why doesn’t the UK government want us to know if ministers have taken gifts and freebies?
    MPs are being held to a much higher transparency standard than those who wield the most power. This is bonkers
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/dec/10/government-uk-ministers-gifts-mps-standards-chris-bryant

If as head of department I were to establish a VIP lane where friends and acquaintances could be bunged lucrative contracts, given priority and not be put up against competition, would I still be in my job?
    A ministerial department ?
    No problem.
    edited December 2022
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

No problem.
    At the DfE it's practically required.

And don't get me started on the Welsh valleys...
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

M45 said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

And Hogmanay.
    And 2nd January.
    And Burns Night.

They never like to celebrate brilliant Scots but will laud any two bit bum.
    Carnyx said:

Bozza said:

kjh said:

Bozza said:

HYUFD said:

Bozza said:

Carnyx said:

Entirely expected.

Must hurt.

What the Conservative Party need in an invincible campaigner. A Leader who wins election after election and who is loved and revered in equal measure by the voters of England.

I love the piss-take satire one gets on PB sometimes.
    The satire today is all from North of the Border. It's like a Royal Variety show with the ghost of Chic Murray, Billy Connolly, Frankie Boyle and Kevin Bridges.

Keep it up gents.
    edited December 2022
    Tres said:

Leon said:

More serious than that. Collusion between Democrat Party and higher levels of Twitter to aid Biden, in multiple ways

Musk is taking no prisoners. Jack Dorsey might be in grave trouble for apparently lying under oath
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,330

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Involving 3000 police is a little vague. I still think it is a bit early to be sure on how serious a threat this was.
    What is concerning is the number of army bases that they are searching. In part at least these were nutters with access to guns.
    Bozza said:

kjh said:

Bozza said:

HYUFD said:

Bozza said:

Carnyx said:

Entirely expected.

Must hurt.

Tories now in search of a mythical beast that doesn’t exist (while mangling their metaphors) ?
    Their electoral prospects are thin indeed.
    Nigelb said:

Bozza said:

kjh said:

Bozza said:

HYUFD said:

Bozza said:

Carnyx said:

Entirely expected.

Must hurt.

Tories now in search of a mythical beast that doesn’t exist (while mangling their metaphors) ?
    The Questing Beast did exist though?
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Bozza said:

Carnyx said:

Entirely expected.

Must hurt.
    Not a Sir to me , I bow to no-one and certainly none of these poncing clowns trying to pretend they are somebody.
  • stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,842
    Bonjour tout le monde. Il rentre chez nous!. Peut-être. :smiley:
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Bozza said:

Carnyx said:

Entirely expected.

Must hurt.
    Not a Sir to me , I bow to no-one and certainly none of these poncing clowns trying to pretend they are somebody.
    Ah, more like a Texian, as Sam Houston famously put it: 'I'll humble myself before God, and there the list ends.'
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Bozza said:

kjh said:

Bozza said:

HYUFD said:

Bozza said:

Carnyx said:

Entirely expected.

Must hurt.

The Questing Beast did exist though?
    Not ideal leadership material, I think ?
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,677
    Leon said:

Tres said:

Leon said:

More serious than that. Collusion between Democrat Party and higher levels of Twitter to aid Biden, in multiple ways

Musk is taking no prisoners. Jack Dorsey might be in grave trouble for apparently lying under oath
    Twitter are/were a private company so they can do what they like. (Would be the libertarian response.)
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,582
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Cookie said:

IanB2 said:

Cookie said:

DJ41 said:

1) Cricket
    3) Football.

Talking about Monopoly, I got a marketing email from the Tank Museum. Apparently they have Tank Museum's own boxing of Monopoly now, so you can accumulate a stable of assorted Panzers and rent them out (not quite sure how thaty works). Would definitely suit several PBers for Christmas.
    I notice that in London now there's a "life-size" Monopoly game "experience"; I have no idea what that would involve...
    Root has been uprooted. England not to make 100.
    Bozza said:

Carnyx said:

Entirely expected.

Must hurt.
    Can anyone be as dumb as to write that mince
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,761
    I wonder if some PB contributors could please explain why they are in favour of democracy and independence for Ukraine and Kazakhstan but not for Scotland?
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977
    edited December 2022
    Why on earth Warner thought he would ever get to be captain is beyond me, yet the story claims its denial of that that is leading to this.

He seems to be trying to tread a line between acknowledging he deserved punishment but whinging about the punishment.
    Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Enough to shut the airport, what a bunch of losers, a couple of snowflakes and the south falls to pieces
  • Mr. Liered, repeatedly holding plebiscites ad nauseum until you get the answer you like and then banking that forever is not democracy.

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Tres said:

Leon said:

Twitter are/were a private company so they can do what they like. (Would be the libertarian response.)
    Sure. But you can’t lie to Congress under oath. And it looks like Jack Dorsey did that

https://twitter.com/terrigreenusa/status/1601044385357258755?s=46&t=6RC_qjjpT8pbywlDko3CxA
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,271
    edited December 2022
    HYUFD said:

Yes
    All adults 45%
    Remainers 63%
    Leavers 32%
    https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1601308851592392704?t=MTLst537suJdOGW7FMAGDw&s=19

Should Matt Goodwin's polling company stop conducting and publishing stupid polls and then trying to find a leave/remain angle on the stupid issue?

Agree:
    All sentient adults - 100%.

I wonder if some PB contributors could please explain why they are in favour of democracy and independence for Ukraine and Kazakhstan but not for Scotland?

Fairlie, it is their last colony. They are terrified to have to try and survive on their own, bunch of snivelling nasty cowards.
  • Bozza said:

kjh said:

Bozza said:

HYUFD said:

Bozza said:

Carnyx said:

Entirely expected.

Must hurt.

To be fair, Boris is loved, revered and respected in equal measure.

It just isn't a very large measure.
    edited December 2022

Scotland has had a democratic opportunity to choose independence. It decided not to pursue it.

This is another troubling myth that's building up and moreover, Salmond's pronouncements suggest was in the building up even before they lost the referendum. I was looking through some old threads on this the other day and the comments were - strange. 'No votes are just Yes votes deferred' spring to mind.

If you can't see that Scotland's situation is materially different from being forcibly invaded and ordered to vote a particular way literally at gunpoint you need help. But I'm assuming you can.
    Nigelb said:

Bozza said:

kjh said:

Bozza said:

HYUFD said:

Bozza said:

Carnyx said:

Entirely expected.

Must hurt.

The cabinet is jam packed with them so easy to find.
    Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Tres said:

Leon said:

Sure. But you can’t lie to Congress under oath. And it looks like Jack Dorsey did that

https://twitter.com/terrigreenusa/status/1601044385357258755?s=46&t=6RC_qjjpT8pbywlDko3CxA
    Nobody as rich as JD will do a single day in Federal PMItA Prison so he won't give a fuck.
    Foxy said:

A great review of Harry and Meghan in The Atlantic.

"Harry and Meghan have a rare talent—pointing out things that reasonable people would agree with, but doing so in the most annoying way possible."

"as if taking on the Royal Family’s racism and the British press’s lack of scruples has become their mission. Us against the world. That is a noble intention, but it has the side effect of centering their entire lives on two institutions that they despise."

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/12/harry-meghan-netflix-show/672400/?utm_source=copy-link&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=share

Sounds about right. Though they seem very happy with that centering, which may be why people are annoyed at the presentation of pseudo regret at doing so.
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yes 54% (+2 / +9)
    No 46% (-2 / -9)

Hello @Leon

Or is it Chat GP?

Even with my limited exposure you start to pick up on a standardised sentence structure. Many of the sentences are of a very even length. It is at least one aspect of what makes the prose dull. We like the short, sharp sentences that add spice. It doesn't seem to do them.
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Perfect

Indeed.

The frost hasn't melted here for days. It just piles on top of older frost. Very pretty but bloody slippery.

I want snow and lots of it, we get very little here in south west Scotland nowadays. When I were a lad we had real winters. Promising though given we had little to no fosty days last year we may see some decent snow this year.
    malcolmg said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Enough to shut the airport, what a bunch of losers, a couple of snowflakes and the south falls to pieces
    Still open pal 👍
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,119

HYUFD said:

Yes
    All adults 45%
    Remainers 63%
    Leavers 32%

Should Matt Goodwin's polling company stop conducting and publishing stupid polls and then trying to find a leave/remain angle on the stupid issue?

Agree:
    The great thing about Goodwin’s polls is that he thinks they’re making one point (the British voting public is right wing) but they’re actually making a subtly different point (right wing people are right wing).

He should run some polls in Scotland uncovering the incredible stat that Yes voters aren’t big fans of the union.
  • ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yes 54% (+2 / +9)
    No 46% (-2 / -9)

Which is why as long as we Tories are in power we will never allow indyref2.

If Starmer allows indyref2 his problem to win it with devomax etc
    As you say, no Conservative government will allow another independence referendum? But why not? To avoid distressing the Queen? Because they fear they cannot win an election in a Scotland-less Britain? Just this year, we have had three Prime Ministers because the Conservative Party, this Conservative Party, will do almost anything in return for power. Why not an independence referendum if, after the general election, the choice is that or opposition?
    Why would Camilla be distressed?
    It used to be given as a reason that HMQ (the EIIR) version would be put out if the Tories carelessly broke up the country. Now that no longer stands. Both the two tests I gave are obviously no barrier to an indyref. That's the point.
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Perfect

Indeed.

I want snow and lots of it, we get very little here in south west Scotland nowadays. When I were a lad we had real winters. Promising though given we had little to no fosty days last year we may see some decent snow this year.
    There is something magical about a decent fall of snow. It's clean, bright and muffles sound. It's great fun if you don't want to go anywhere in particular and can admire the beauty of the crystals. Like you, I miss it.
    Ghedebrav said:

malcolmg said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Still open pal 👍
    why they diverting flights then, woosies

HYUFD said:

Yes
    All adults 45%
    Remainers 63%
    Leavers 32%

Agree:
    Also: she surely should’ve been sacked, not resign? Or I suppose she had nothing so vulgar as a contract of employment.

Foxy said:

A great review of Harry and Meghan in The Atlantic.

"Harry and Meghan have a rare talent—pointing out things that reasonable people would agree with, but doing so in the most annoying way possible."

"as if taking on the Royal Family’s racism and the British press’s lack of scruples has become their mission. Us against the world. That is a noble intention, but it has the side effect of centering their entire lives on two institutions that they despise."

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/12/harry-meghan-netflix-show/672400/?utm_source=copy-link&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=share

"Racism" is how Meghan dismisses any criticism of herself for her narcissistic sociopath personality disorder and, of course, there is a small but vocal activist community of people prepared to believe it and amplify it.

Of course, if you look hard enough amongst all hangers on and relatives you might find one or two suspect remarks, as you will if you trawl the gutter of the Internet, but the idea the royal family has racism or "structural" racism if complete and total nonsense.
    Bear in mind also that Meghan and (for practical purposes) Harry are American now.

Different place, different standards. The Netflix thing isn't really aimed at us.

Though the response of the British media to criticism of the British media shows that M+H may have a bit of a point.
    The reactions do get a bit hysterical. I don't know the viewing figures but for marketing purposes the British media and tory MPs getting spitting mad is probably ideal to sell it to the intended audience.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,426
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

No problem.
    At the DfE it's practically required.

And don't get me started on the Welsh valleys...
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Bozza said:

Carnyx said:

Entirely expected.

Must hurt.
    Ah, more like a Texian, as Sam Houston famously put it: 'I'll humble myself before God, and there the list ends.'
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Bozza said:

Carnyx said:

Entirely expected.

Must hurt.
    I think that is just in the movie. Though historians of the period said that if Sam Houston had thought of it, he would have said it.

A film that looked at what happens when legend and stories meet reality - a favourite.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,271
    edited December 2022
    stjohn said:

Nous sommes fucked par Mbappe, je pense.

Mr. Liered, repeatedly holding plebiscites ad nauseum until you get the answer you like and then banking that forever is not democracy.

We have elections every 4-5 years , now 8 years since last referendum , why do you get to choose what Scots want to do.
    Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Tres said:

Leon said:

And in any event the account is likely both highly confected and one sided.
    I’ll look into it if I can ever summon the energy.

While you’re here, did you ever experience one of these ?
    (Not on a carrier, obvs.)
    https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1601507744401739776
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yes 54% (+2 / +9)
    No 46% (-2 / -9)

Which is why as long as we Tories are in power we will never allow indyref2.

If Starmer allows indyref2 his problem to win it with devomax etc
    As you say, no Conservative government will allow another independence referendum? But why not? To avoid distressing the Queen? Because they fear they cannot win an election in a Scotland-less Britain? Just this year, we have had three Prime Ministers because the Conservative Party, this Conservative Party, will do almost anything in return for power. Why not an independence referendum if, after the general election, the choice is that or opposition?
    As we are the Conservative and Unionist party. Even if a Labour government granted indyref2 we would still back the Union.

If it was lost however we would switch overnight to being an English Nationalist party, cancel all transfers to Scotland, start erecting the border posts from Cumbria to Northumberland and take as hard a line as possible with the SNP in Scexit talks.

Even if won again I expect we would also switch to back an English parliament given Holyrood would likely have been offered devomax to ensure No won
    "We are Unionist because we are Unionist and nobody likes us and we don't care."

Something missing in the logic there.
    How out of character.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,119
    DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yes 54% (+2 / +9)
    No 46% (-2 / -9)

Hello @Leon

Or is it Chat GP?

Even with my limited exposure you start to pick up on a standardised sentence structure. Many of the sentences are of a very even length. It is at least one aspect of what makes the prose dull. We like the short, sharp sentences that add spice. It doesn't seem to do them.
    There is definitely a house style, although that can be influenced if you direct it.

This site is fascinating for recognisable personal styles. I could pick out a HYUFD or BigGNorthWales post a mile off just from the first sentence and regardless of topic.
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Yes 54% (+2 / +9)
    No 46% (-2 / -9)

It's on Wiki.

I appreciate it's very wrong of me to call out a lot* of lying xenophobes for being such merely because they happen to be Scottish.

*well, OK, one on these boards, but he represents a big and disturbing strand in current Scottish politics despite living in Sweden.
    Admit it , you have a hidden lust to be English which pops up at times.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,500
    Fascinating what you can learn from OpenAI

This morning it tells me

"Yes, Mrs. Edith Bostock’s children are both active in cooking, and they are known to use her recipes for dinosaur-based dishes."

• Leon said:

Erm, when was it ever a secret that Twitter "suppressed and censored" Donald Trump? He would not shut up about it, least of all on Twitter. He even set up his own rival.
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Yes 54% (+2 / +9)
    No 46% (-2 / -9)

It's on Wiki.

I think you're projecting there, Malc old boy :wink:

Anyway, must be off. See you all later.
    malcolmg said:

Ghedebrav said:

malcolmg said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Still open pal 👍
    why they diverting flights then, woosies
    Mebbe the pilots heard yer maw was in the Birmingham area
    edited December 2022
    Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Tres said:

Leon said:

Good hands and a brass arsehole from old mate there, I'll give him that one.

I've never had the pleasure of a gear up landing. I very nearly one did one in an FA2 by accident at Yeovil when caught 'on the wrong side of the nozzle'. That is, in an inappropriate nozzle angle, for the current flight regime. It had the curious and disconcerting effect of making the throttle do almost nothing. Like driving a diesel Land Rover.
    DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yes 54% (+2 / +9)
    No 46% (-2 / -9)

Hello @Leon

Or is it Chat GP?

Yes the style is banal and repetitive

I did a deep dive on AI last night. Apparently Google has a chatbot which is notably more powerful than ChatGPT - LAMDA

But they feel it is too powerful to release to the public. LAMDA is the model which made Google Engineer Blake Lemoin suggest the AI is sentient

I read the entire Lemoin Lamda transcript. It is disturbing. The computer DOES sound conscious - and unhappy

AGI might be here already

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Yes 54% (+2 / +9)
    No 46% (-2 / -9)

It's on Wiki.

I think you're projecting there, Malc old boy :wink:

Anyway, must be off. See you all later.
    I am having a jest with you, but obviously went over your head. Have fun.
    kjh said:

Bozza said:

HYUFD said:

Bozza said:

Carnyx said:

Entirely expected.

Must hurt.

I think they are following the 'X must not be allowed to destroy Y, so we'll destroy it ourselves first' policy.
    edited December 2022
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Yes 54% (+2 / +9)
    No 46% (-2 / -9)

It's on Wiki.

Being anti scottish independence doesn't indicate a hidden lust to be English. Why, 45-55% of Scots think the same.

But anglophilia is a sneaky disease, it is true, he might be in remission.
  • M45M45 Posts: 216
    Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Tres said:

Leon said:

Good hands and a brass arsehole from old mate there, I'll give him that one.

I've never had the pleasure of a gear up landing. I very nearly one did one in an FA2 by accident at Yeovil when caught 'on the wrong side of the nozzle'. That is, in an inappropriate nozzle angle, for the current flight regime. It had the curious and disconcerting effect of making the throttle do almost nothing. Like driving a diesel Land Rover.
    :lol:

Jeremy Clarkson said to corner in a Land Rover, you just position it as best you can and hope the tide will carry you round.
    TimS said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yes 54% (+2 / +9)
    No 46% (-2 / -9)

Hello @Leon

Or is it Chat GP?

There is definitely a house style, although that can be influenced if you direct it.

This site is fascinating for recognisable personal styles. I could pick out a HYUFD or BigGNorthWales post a mile off just from the first sentence and regardless of topic.
    Worrying for any ringers out there.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,320
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Yes 54% (+2 / +9)
    No 46% (-2 / -9)

It's on Wiki.

He's only human.
    malcolmg said:

Bozza said:

Carnyx said:

Entirely expected.

Must hurt.
    Do you, Private Fraser, dispute Starmer wouldn't capitulate to unreasonable SNP demands, whilst the Conservatives, especially under the management of Boris would tell her to take a long, lonely hike?
    stjohn said:

Pas avant des quatre vingt dix minutes, selon ma position de pari.
    Bozza said:

malcolmg said:

Bozza said:

Carnyx said:

Entirely expected.

Must hurt.
    Do you, Private Fraser, dispute Starmer wouldn't capitulate to unreasonable SNP demands, whilst the Conservatives, especially under the management of Boris would tell her to take a long, lonely hike?
    You can prevent that by giving Labour a stonking majority. :smile:
  • stjohn said:

Nous sommes fucked par Mbappe, je pense.
    Ta geuele. Ze Frogs will be more stuffed than ze Christmas turkey, mon vieux.

Btw, StJ, I notice Argentina have a decent goalie. I guess he gets a lot of practice at his club.
  • Mr. Liered, repeatedly holding plebiscites ad nauseum until you get the answer you like and then banking that forever is not democracy.

Apparently more than one plebiscite in 315 years is enough to get you boaking.
    The English appear to be a feeble, green faced bunch nowadays, particularly when it comes to countries not their own.
  • TresTres Posts: 2,650
    edited December 2022
    ydoethur said:

Scotland has had a democratic opportunity to choose independence. It decided not to pursue it.

This is another troubling myth that's building up and moreover, Salmond's pronouncements suggest was in the building up even before they lost the referendum. I was looking through some old threads on this the other day and the comments were - strange. 'No votes are just Yes votes deferred' spring to mind.

If you can't see that Scotland's situation is materially different from being forcibly invaded and ordered to vote a particular way literally at gunpoint you need help. But I'm assuming you can.
    Scotland has repeatedly voted for the SNP over multiple elections since the 2014 referendum.
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,849

‘Cumbria coalmine is owned by private equity firm with Caymans base’

The Guardian

Remind me, where was the Scott Trust’s investment in Autotrader domiciled? Caymans wasn’t it?

• pingping Posts: 3,805
    edited December 2022
    Linked to by Alastair Meeks on Twitter;

https://twitter.com/josephmdurso/status/1601199854101069829

This week I spoke to @CommonsTreasury about cartoon monkeys, the sporting crypto con, and this one weird trick that could make you a millionaire...

https://twitter.com/josephmdurso/status/1601199854101069829/video/1

Footballers and clubs monetising their fanbase in this way is outrageous.
    ping said:

Linked to by Alastair Meeks on Twitter;

https://twitter.com/josephmdurso/status/1601199854101069829

This week I spoke to @CommonsTreasury about cartoon monkeys, the sporting crypto con, and this one weird trick that could make you a millionaire...

https://twitter.com/josephmdurso/status/1601199854101069829/video/1

If only Parliament would get on with actually legislating on anything.
  • Harry Maguire vs. Kylian Mbappé tonight is going to produce some of the greatest comedy since the earlier seasons of Frasier.

Bet accordingly.

Harry Maguire vs. Kylian Mbappé tonight is going to produce some of the greatest comedy since the earlier seasons of Frasier.

Bet accordingly.

Harry, England, and St George
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,524
    edited December 2022

Harry Maguire vs. Kylian Mbappé tonight is going to produce some of the greatest comedy since the earlier seasons of Frasier.

Bet accordingly.

Harry, England, and St George
    St George. Another foreigner taking a Brit’s job.

https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofEngland/Edmund-original-Patron-Saint-of-England/
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,688

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/dec/10/john-kerry-examining-likely-impact-of-new-uk-coalmine

John Kerry, the US climate official, has said he is closely examining the UK government’s approval of a new coalmine, over concerns that it will raise greenhouse gas emissions and send the wrong signal to developing countries.

“Coal is not exactly the direction that the world is trying to move in, or needs to move in. What I want to know is the level of abatement here [such as whether the resulting greenhouse gases will be captured and stored] and the comparison of this particular process in the production of steel,” he said.

I like John Kerry, but he looks utterly ridiculous. Quite simply, Americans have a vested interest in stopping that coal mine.

Plus we would just be importing it from abroad for our steel industry otherwise anyway
    Oops.

The Tories haven’t thought through a policy? I’m shocked I tells ya.
    It isn't a 'policy', it's a commercial project that there was no earthly reason not to allow, so has been (after a significant and unjustifiable delay) allowed.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,688
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yes 54% (+2 / +9)
    No 46% (-2 / -9)

Hello @Leon

Or is it Chat GP?

I do think that Leon added the last paragraph himself though.
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,534
    Wonder which gulf country it could possibly be?

https://www.euronews.com/my-europe/2022/12/09/four-linked-to-eu-parliament-arrested-amid-suspicions-of-corruption-involving-a-persian-gu

"European Parliament Vice President Eva Kaili arrested amid Brussels corruption probe

Greek Socialist MEP Eva Kaili was arrested on Friday amid a police probe into possible corruption at the European Parliament. 

Kaili, one of 14 vice-presidents at the European legislative body, was brought in for questioning in Brussels on Friday evening in connection with an investigation into suspected corruption involving "a Gulf country", AFP and Belgian outlet Le Soir reported, quoting prosecutor's office.

European Parliament sources told Euronews that Kaili's office had been sealed by Belgium police, along with those of two Belgian socialist MEPs, Maria Arena and Marc Tarabella."

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yes 54% (+2 / +9)
    No 46% (-2 / -9)

Hello @Leon

Or is it Chat GP?

I do think that Leon added the last paragraph himself though.
    No I didn’t. ChatGPT did that. Quite a good ending
  • Lol, fcking Food Pantries! Hyacinth Bouquet was a Tory for sure.

• PhilPhil Posts: 2,202

‘Cumbria coalmine is owned by private equity firm with Caymans base’

The Guardian

Remind me, where was the Scott Trust’s investment in Autotrader domiciled? Caymans wasn’t it?

Don’t hate the player, hate the game.
This discussion has been closed.