Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

LAB now odds-on in the betting to win a majority – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• LeonLeon Posts: 53,669
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Oooh

Messi has the look of Destiny

Argentina to win the Cup?

Leondamus, like all the greats, is hitting peak form as the final approaches.
    *bows like a Cavalier with a feathered tricorn*
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 69,005
    kinabalu said:

What an amazing WC this is.

You’re in the water closet ?
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,871
    Dutch look up for it.
    MMA after extra time, instead of penalties ?
    edited December 2022
    Foxy said:

Dutch look up for it.

At the risk of Leondamusing the Dutch, I imagine they now have the psychic upper hand

The Argies had it in the bag. They must be utterly deflated

Messi meets his moment. Or not
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,475
    Nigelb said:

Two holds or a submission to decide it?
  • glwglw Posts: 9,801
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Oooh

He's the antithesis of Paul the Octopus.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,392
    Nigelb said:

It shows how pathetic this referee is that we have not had a red yet.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,384
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

🙂 - yep, hiding, too tense
    Best World Cup evah?

Fuck, Morocco could win the thing at this rate
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Oooh

Not a tricorn.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavalier_hat
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,686
    Foxy said:

Dutch look up for it.

IF Holland do it, that's the end of Latin America in the tournament - the six teams left would be five European plus Morocco.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,942
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

That’s a disaster for the competition.

Why? Football is about winning, not being the most sexy footballing side. Brazil looked tired and I doubt they would have got past France anyway.
    What's all this "France" business?

They have a massive quarter to get through first.
    I’m resigned to our fate.
    Well I'm not. 50/50 game. If we play well and get the breaks we're going through. Then a VERY winnable semi, and after that ... well let's just say a prospect even more exciting (!) than GPTr2d2 awaits.
    Loving your optimism but I’ve watched England sports teams too long…
    We've just won the 20/20 WC and the latest data for football is semi then final. I think you're doing that "don't tempt fate' thing. Irrational but deeply understandable so I'll play along - France will kill us!
    In all the years I’ve watched the sports I follow (cricket, football, rugby), England have won three World Cup tournaments (four if you include the previous T20 win, which I don’t think was a World Cup). I think this England tea is good, but we are playing the World Cup winners from 2018, with probably the worlds best player, and I rate our chances no higher than 10-15%.
    For the tournament? That looks about right. I'd go a bit higher but not much.
    Nope, for tomorrow. I yearn to be surprised.
    Oh that's a real outlier assessment. Market gives us a 40% chance. You should be lumping on France!
    I have… Plus the market is distorted by England fans.
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Oooh

Not a tricorn.
    Peak Hat, certainly
    Ok c'mon enough - let's have the quality going through. Argentina. Messi.

Better for us if it's Holland though.
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Oooh

Not a tricorn.
    Peak Hat, certainly
    As the link says, often cocked up.
    kinabalu said:

Ok c'mon enough - let's have the quality going through. Argentina. Messi.

Better for us if it's Holland though.

Argentina totally lost their mellow

The game was won. They let the Dutch rile them. Forgot their patterns. Et voila

National temperament is a weird thing, but a real thing
    The next American team to win the World Cup might be..... the USA
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,170
    edited December 2022
    WTO says Trump's US steel tariffs broke global trade rules
    The US "strongly rejects" the ruling and has no intention of removing the measures, assistant US trade representative Adam Hodge said.

"The Biden administration is committed to preserving US national security by ensuring the long-term viability of our steel and aluminium industries."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63920063

We could learn something from America's often spurious invocation of its national security interests.
  • Argentina narrow favourites on Betfair.
  • The thing we often forget about Lionel Messi is that he’s a convicted tax fraudster

https://twitter.com/SMTuffy/status/1601324668635357184
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 5,180
    stodge said:

Foxy said:

Dutch look up for it.

IF Holland do it, that's the end of Latin America in the tournament - the six teams left would be five European plus Morocco.
    Quite possible we have the 5th successive European win. Before 2015 neither winning continent had managed more than 2 successive WCs.
    This extra time has been very disappointing so far, nothing like the earlier game. Both teams look knackered.
    DavidL said:

This extra time has been very disappointing so far, nothing like the earlier game. Both teams look knackered.

Neither side is prepared to take a risk. They have settled for penalties?
    Leon said:

DavidL said:

Not a choice I would make if I was a player. Haunts you.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,705
    DavidL said:

The Brazil-Croatia match was a very rare example of the extra time being more entertaining than the normal time.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 95,037
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Given the state of some public ones, finding a great one is worth celebrating.
    Following that dinner with the anti-semite he didn’t know…

Trump accuses Jewish leaders of a lack of ‘loyalty’

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/3769077-trump-accuses-jewish-leaders-of-a-lack-of-loyalty/
    Former President Trump accused Jewish leaders of a lack of “loyalty” on Friday, amid the ongoing fallout from his dinner with white nationalist and Holocaust denier Nick Fuentes.
    “How quickly Jewish Leaders forgot that I was the best, by far, President for Israel,” Trump said in a post on Truth Social. “They should be ashamed of themselves. This lack of loyalty to their greatest friends and allies is why large numbers in Congress, and so many others, have stopped giving support to Israel.”…
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Not a choice I would make if I was a player. Haunts you.
    Yes. The agony those Brazilian players will be going through, esp the last player that missed

Argentina are not superb, yet they have the talent to win this against an OK Dutch team. But they are barely trying
    The Argentinians are falling over at every opportunity and this ref keeps giving the fouls.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,492
    You get the feeling if it goes to penalties the Dutch are going to win.
  • Absolute must read in The FT about the Truss premiership.

This bit did amuse me, absolutely doesn't remind me of me somebody.

Kwarteng was also born in 1975, to parents who emigrated from Ghana as students. His mother was a barrister and his father an economist, and Kwarteng excelled academically, attending Eton College, Trinity College, Cambridge (where he won a double first in classics and history), Harvard University as a Kennedy Scholar and Cambridge again, where he earned a PhD. He later worked at JPMorgan Chase and a hedge fund. Self-doubt was not part of his make-up.

https://www.ft.com/content/736a695d-61f6-4e84-a567-fb92ed2a3dca?shareType=nongift
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,218
    Andy_JS said:

Is anyone else being pushed in the direction of republicanism by the Harry/Meghan sagas?

If we end up with a 'woke' monarchy then yes.
    A 'woke' monarchy would just be an irresolvable contradiction. The whole concept of monarchy is based on unearned privelege.
    Monarchy has to represent the values of tradition, order, ceremony, self sacrifice. There is a place for that but Harry and Meghan are the antithesis of it.
    Andy_JS said:

I can't cope if the England-France game is this tense. I will have to do Xanax and Smack
  • Andy_JS said:

You're not familiar with the record of the Netherlands in penalty shootouts.

They have a worse record than us.
  • DriverDriver Posts: 4,713
    One way traffic now.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,685
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

I can't cope if the England-France game is this tense. I will have to do Xanax and Smack
    Are those new forms of AI?
  • pingping Posts: 3,805
    Go on Holland!
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,566
    The short back and sides will get it.
    ping said:

Go on Holland!

If they lose from here, will it be because they Flandered?
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,705
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

"Xanax and Smack" sounds like the incredibly dark equivalent to "Netflix and chill".

Absolute must read in The FT about the Truss premiership.

This bit did amuse me, absolutely doesn't remind me of me somebody.

Kwarteng was also born in 1975, to parents who emigrated from Ghana as students. His mother was a barrister and his father an economist, and Kwarteng excelled academically, attending Eton College, Trinity College, Cambridge (where he won a double first in classics and history), Harvard University as a Kennedy Scholar and Cambridge again, where he earned a PhD. He later worked at JPMorgan Chase and a hedge fund. Self-doubt was not part of his make-up.

https://www.ft.com/content/736a695d-61f6-4e84-a567-fb92ed2a3dca?shareType=nongift

I'm sure that confidence has usually been a plus for his career advancement. But what he and Truss did wasn't caused by a lack of self doubt. It was lack of preparation. Even people without self doubt prepare themselves for what is to come - especially since they generally know others do have doubts.
    Argentina deserve this for extra positivity. Fantastic sport
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,219
    Sorry to be one of those bores but I’m getting deeper and deeper into the rabbit hole that is ChatGPT.

Prompt: “Kylie Minogue lyric about Theresa May’s short but eventful time in high office”.

Produces content like this:

She was once the Iron Lady
    The leader of the Tory party
    But she couldn't deliver on Brexit
    And now she's just a memory

Theresa May, oh Theresa May
    You had your time in the sun
    But now you're just a footnote
    In the history of British politics

You tried to be strong and steady
    But you were weak and unsteady
    You couldn't handle the pressure
    And now you're gone, oh well

Most of you will just sigh in mild irritation at the turgid nonsense a boring poster is delivering up. But this is a robot writing this stuff. Prompted only by the sentence above.

My request for a Boney M lyric on Boris Johnson’s fall from grace gave an equally
    human response.
    ydoethur said:

ping said:

Go on Holland!

The tangoed themselves.

FUCK
    geoffw said:

ydoethur said:

ping said:

Go on Holland!

The tangoed themselves.

Really? Sounds like the person who did it was an twerp.
    An iconic match
    Fourth shootout in 10 knockout games so far.
    ydoethur said:

geoffw said:

ydoethur said:

ping said:

Go on Holland!

The tangoed themselves.

Really? Sounds like the person who did it was an twerp.
    What a rotter. Damn!
    Leon said:

An iconic match

I wanted the Dutch to win but in fairness the Argentinians deserved it after that second half of ET. They were going for it and that shot off the post....
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

An iconic match

I wanted the Dutch to win but in fairness the Argentinians deserved it after that second half of ET. They were going for it and that shot off the post....
    Yes, they are the better team and Messi is the best player, what a shame if they now lose this

They should have ripped into Holland for the the whole of ET
  • Just to show that Moaning is NOT confined the Baroness or to Westminster . . .

Politico.com - Florida Republican who sponsored ‘Don’t Say Gay’ resigns after federal indictment
    His trial is set for Jan. 11 in Gainesville federal court

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — Republican state Rep. Joe Harding resigned from office one day after a federal grand jury indictment against him was unsealed alleging he defrauded a federal pandemic-related small business loan program.

“Today, I am resigning from my position for the same two reasons: I love people, and I love Florida,” Harding said in a statement. “I believe in Floridians and want what is best for them, and I believe their leaders need not be encumbered by distractions that are mine alone.”

His resignation is effective immediately.

The Justice Department on Wednesday unsealed an indictment alleging Harding, a 35-year-old Ocala Republican, used two long-defunct companies on applications for pandemic loans through the Small Business Administration. He is facing six federal counts, including two on wire fraud charges, and a total of 35 years in jail if convicted on each.

Harding pleaded not guilty during an hearing on Tuesday, the same day the grand jury indicted him, and said he has repaid the loans. He was released on bond shortly after the preliminary hearing.
    The indictment alleges he fraudulently received $150,000 in federal pandemic assistance through. His trial is set for Jan. 11 in Gainesville federal court.

Shortly after the indictment was unsealed Wednesday, Florida House Speaker Paul Renner announced Harding was removed from his committee posts. He said because the allegation did not involve his service as a member of the Florida House, he would not comment further.

The indictment unsealed by the federal government claims that Harding listed The Vak Shack and Harding Farms, both companies that had been inactive since 2017, on application for SBA loans designed to help small businesses survive the pandemic. He also lied about their revenue numbers, bank statements, and employee counts to secure the loans, federal investigators allege.

The Marion County representative was first elected in 2020 and is best known for being the House sponsor for legislation that banned discussion of gender identity or sexual orientation in classrooms up until third grade. The bill, which opponents branded the “Don’t Say Gay” bill, sparked protests and got national attention.

A special election will now be held to fill his vacant seat.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/12/08/florida-republican-harding-indictment-00073173

Sounds like this is one good ole boy that the feds have got by the short hairs, well and truly.

NOT a good look for Ron DeSantis.

Who is running Florida these days in similar fashion to how Victor Orban is running Hungary.
    omfg
    Defender, even one as brilliant as Van Dyke to take your first pen?

Just to show that Moaning is NOT confined the Baroness or to Westminster . . .

Politico.com - Florida Republican who sponsored ‘Don’t Say Gay’ resigns after federal indictment

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — Republican state Rep. Joe Harding resigned from office one day after a federal grand jury indictment against him was unsealed alleging he defrauded a federal pandemic-related small business loan program.

“Today, I am resigning from my position for the same two reasons: I love people, and I love Florida,” Harding said in a statement. “I believe in Floridians and want what is best for them, and I believe their leaders need not be encumbered by distractions that are mine alone.”

The Justice Department on Wednesday unsealed an indictment alleging Harding, a 35-year-old Ocala Republican, used two long-defunct companies on applications for pandemic loans through the Small Business Administration. He is facing six federal counts, including two on wire fraud charges, and a total of 35 years in jail if convicted on each.

Harding pleaded not guilty during an hearing on Tuesday, the same day the grand jury indicted him, and said he has repaid the loans. He was released on bond shortly after the preliminary hearing.
    The indictment alleges he fraudulently received $150,000 in federal pandemic assistance through. His trial is set for Jan. 11 in Gainesville federal court.

Shortly after the indictment was unsealed Wednesday, Florida House Speaker Paul Renner announced Harding was removed from his committee posts. He said because the allegation did not involve his service as a member of the Florida House, he would not comment further.

The indictment unsealed by the federal government claims that Harding listed The Vak Shack and Harding Farms, both companies that had been inactive since 2017, on application for SBA loans designed to help small businesses survive the pandemic. He also lied about their revenue numbers, bank statements, and employee counts to secure the loans, federal investigators allege.

The Marion County representative was first elected in 2020 and is best known for being the House sponsor for legislation that banned discussion of gender identity or sexual orientation in classrooms up until third grade. The bill, which opponents branded the “Don’t Say Gay” bill, sparked protests and got national attention.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/12/08/florida-republican-harding-indictment-00073173

Sounds like this is one good ole boy that the feds have got by the short hairs, well and truly.

Who is running Florida these days in similar fashion to how Victor Orban is running Hungary.

Today, I am resigning from my position for the same two reasons: I love people, and I love Florida,”

That's a very odd way of saying "I'm a crook".
  • Andy_JS said:

**BUFFS NAILS**
    edited December 2022

Andy_JS said:

Prescient
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,492

Andy_JS said:

Should have looked it up.
    DavidL said:

Defender, even one as brilliant as Van Dyke to take your first pen?

To be fair it was the goalie that did it. Both were saved, but we'll taken.
  • Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Prescient
    I always am.

#LegendaryModestyKlaxon
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,644
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Dutch look up for it.

At the risk of Leondamusing the Dutch, I imagine they now have the psychic upper hand
    The teams losing in these shootouts all seem realllly bad, not just unlucky, in their penalty contests.
  • IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Dutch look up for it.

It really is quite remarkable.
    oh godddd
    Fuck, who would be this last player?
    THE HAIR THE HAIR
  • pingping Posts: 3,805
    edited December 2022
    Bah.

Argentina win.

The best team won.
  • IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Dutch look up for it.

He's like that psychic Octopus in reverse.
    Leon said:

THE HAIR THE HAIR

Back to the forties.
    Dutch shouldn't have gone back to the passing game in extra time, should have stuck to long ball.
    Thank fuck for that! Some justice in the world.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,034
    When I saw Martinez concede five at Reading in 2012, I didn’t expect to see him saving penalties for Argentina in a World Cup quarter final 10 years later.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,644
    edited December 2022

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Dutch look up for it.

He's like that psychic Octopus in reverse.
    He’d better shut up during the England match; it won’t work if he pretends to make the predictions.

Can he be banned for something until Sunday, mods?
  • New thread.

Just to show that Moaning is NOT confined the Baroness or to Westminster . . .

There does seem to be an awful lot of this stuff.
    No one story amounts to a massive deal, but the numbers of them are notable.

Florida GOP donor, DeSantis ally under 'active investigation' weeks before death, authorities say
    https://www.politico.com/news/2022/12/09/kent-stermon-death-investigation-00073317
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,033
    DJ41 said:

geoffw said:

Win win. Can't lose here cos I support any team with Scots heritage and there's one in each side.

I don't give a f*** for spectator sport, but I can usually work out who the England team is playing against because my friend in Scotland tells me what flag his f***witted neighbour has put up in his front garden.
    I would hope it is a French one, the auld alliance dictates it.
This discussion has been closed.