Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The World Cup betting after an action-packed weekend – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,697
edited December 2022 in General
imageThe World Cup betting after an action-packed weekend – politicalbetting.com

I would like to bet on England but even after yesterday’s match, I remain unconvinced. Alas if they do beat France next weekend the odds will be a whole lot tighter than they are at the moment.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,690
    First
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,111
    Spain are much more likely to win this World Cup than England.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,046
    WillG said:

538 thinks it's pretty close:

• Options
    Interesting that 538 makes England (very narrow) favourites over France.

Must admit, my personal view is that Brazil are about a 30% chance, France 20%, Spain 15%, and UK and Argentina 10%.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762
    rcs1000 said:

Must admit, my personal view is that Brazil are about a 30% chance, France 20%, Spain 15%, and UK and Argentina 10%.

I’d laugh if South Korea beat Brazil on penalties.

More seriously, are Japan value at 100/1 ?
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Guardian article on ChatGPT
    https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/dec/04/ai-bot-chatgpt-stuns-academics-with-essay-writing-skills-and-usability

Interesting point about copyright.
    The flip side of which is that AIs can create vast amounts of text, over which copyright could possibly be claimed. Could potentially make it very hard for human writers to work at all.

Something similar is already happening with musical composition.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927
    It’s coming home! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 ⚽️
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

I’d laugh if South Korea beat Brazil on penalties.

More seriously, are Japan value at 100/1 ?
    In a round-of-16 type environment, where they have managed to beat Germany and Spain already, then yes, at 100-1, they are probably worth a small punt.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,276
    rcs1000 said:

WillG said:

The 538 model is flawed. France's chances plummeted after losing to Tunisia, a game they put out their reserve team for. They make England slight favorites to get past France, when surely England are the underdogs.

I think the Netherlands will get past Argentina.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,823
    Nigelb said:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/dec/04/ai-bot-chatgpt-stuns-academics-with-essay-writing-skills-and-usability

The flip side of which is that AIs can create vast amounts of text, over which copyright could possibly be claimed. Could potentially make it very hard for human writers to work at all.

Why does anyone think AI is a good thing when it could put so many people out of business?
  • Options
    Interesting article an earlier Ukrainian attempt at statehood (crushed at the time by the Bolshevik Russia and the Poles).

Carol of the Bells & the fight for national dignity. Lessons from the history of the Ukrainian National Republic
    https://euromaidanpress.com/2020/01/02/shchedryk-the-fight-for-national-dignity-lessons-from-the-history-of-the-ukrainian-national-republic/
    … On January 22, 1918, the government approved the Law on National-Personal Autonomy, according to which:
    – “Article 1. Each of the peoples living in Ukraine has the right within the Ukrainian National Republic to national and personal autonomy, that is, the right to self-organize their national life through the bodies of the National Union, whose power extends to all its members, regardless of their place of residence within the Ukrainian National Republic. It is an inalienable right of peoples, and none of them can be deprived of, or restricted in that right.”
    – The Great Russian, Jewish and Polish peoples have been granted autonomy by virtue of this law, and other peoples could avail themselves of this right, subject to the submission of an application signed by “at least 10,000 UNR citizens, regardless of their sex or faith.”..
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Nigelb said:

Why does anyone think AI is a good thing when it could put so many people out of business?
    I’m not sure that’s the right question, given that it’s development in pretty well inevitable - and certainly beyond the influence of the UK to slow or significantly change.

But political debate needs to wake up to its implications pretty quickly.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,325
    Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

Nigelb said:

I’m not sure that’s the right question, given that it’s development in pretty well inevitable - and certainly beyond the influence of the UK to slow or significantly change.

Would any of us stick with posting on PB if we found out that the other contributors were all AI computers? Or go to a gallery to look at walls of AI art? Or pay to listen to AI music?

I’m not sure it’s going to be as popular or as lasting in creative pursuits as some suggest.
  • Options
    Great article.

How Web Platforms Collapse: The Facebook Case Study
    https://tedgioia.substack.com/p/how-web-platforms-collapse-the-facebook

… I can actually explain the problem in one sentence:
    Instead of serving users, the dominant company decides it’s better to control them.

… Why do I need to log in to Reddit to read comments? Why can’t I fix a spelling error on Twitter? Why can’t I find the names of the band members on Spotify? Why is the whole first page of Google search results sometimes filled with paid advertising? Why does TikTok send all my private data to China?

It’s obvious that these companies didn’t do focus groups or market research before making these decisions. Or if they did, they must have ignored what they learned. I can’t imagine a single Spotify user ever saying: “Please make sure you never tell me the members of the band

… The 10 Times Facebook Jerked Me Around Like a Spinning Wheel…
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,823
    SKS fans — please explain

"@BritainElects
    Westminster voting intention:

LAB: 43% (-2)
    CON: 29% (+1)
    LDEM: 8% (-1)
    GRN: 6% (+2)

via @OpiniumResearch, 30 Nov - 02 Dec"

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1599437593900359680
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

Nigelb said:

Would any of us stick with posting on PB if we found out that the other contributors were all AI computers? Or go to a gallery to look at walls of AI art? Or pay to listen to AI music?

I’m not sure it’s going to be as popular or as lasting in creative pursuits as some suggest.
    For a start, quite a lot of new music already has backing tracks generated by AI, and no one’s really noticed.

Initially, it’s going to be an unprecedented productivity tool for those who work out how to use it.
    Software is a great example, as it seems to be able (note I’m a technical ignoramus, so feel free to correct) to do some coding tasks many orders of magnitude faster than a human coder. That doesn’t take the human out if the loop, but it does away with a lot of work previously done by humans.

That’s not something that’s going to be stopped by political policy, public opinion, or market forces.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195
    edited December 2022
    kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

WillG said:

The 538 model is flawed. France's chances plummeted after losing to Tunisia, a game they put out their reserve team for. They make England slight favorites to get past France, when surely England are the underdogs.

I think the Netherlands will get past Argentina.
    I think England v France is too close for there to be a favourite. France are a very well balanced side, but England have some real talent too. I think it might come down to which defence handles their opponents best. I think Kyle Walker can handle Mbappe.

Agree about the Dutch getting past Argentina.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,908
    Andy_JS said:

SKS fans — please explain

"@BritainElects
    Westminster voting intention:

LAB: 43% (-2)
    CON: 29% (+1)
    LDEM: 8% (-1)
    GRN: 6% (+2)

via @OpiniumResearch, 30 Nov - 02 Dec"

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1599437593900359680

Natural variability within the usual margin of error.
  • Options
    Is it over yet?
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Whoever wins England vs France instantly becomes a strong second favourite. Frankly I think either would have the beating of Brazil.

As for GB Utd, it might annoy some to say so but is there a single Welsh or Scotsman that would make it into the football side right now? Possibly a fit Kieran Tierney at left back. But not Bale or Ramsay anymore. The squad would have more depth I grant you.

Intriguing too that the Wales wonder decade has not just coincided with the Bale era but also Swansea and Cardiff being premier league regulars. Proud Scots take note and try again to get the Old Firm in the pyramid south of the border to make a true British Premier League.
  • Options
    Typical Anglo-centric bias that England are mentioned in the piece but not Scotland, Wales, or Northern Ireland.

Getting knocked out of the world cup by France is going to ruin Christmas for me.
  • Options
    The head of the police watchdog who resigned after a historical allegation is accused of having an inappropriate relationship with a child aged 14 or 15.

The claim against Michael Lockwood, 63, director-general of the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC), is understood to be sexual in nature, regarding alleged behaviour when he was in his 20s and living in Humberside.

A police source said that he had been under investigation for months but the IOPC, whose job it is to examine police misconduct, was informed only last week. It is understood a file has been sent to the Crown Prosecution Service, which will now make a decision on whether to charge him.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/police-watchdog-chief-had-relations-with-teenager-25lrg68w0
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236
    edited December 2022
    moonshine said:

Whoever wins England vs France instantly becomes a strong second favourite. Frankly I think either would have the beating of Brazil.

As for GB Utd, it might annoy some to say so but is there a single Welsh or Scotsman that would make it into the football side right now? Possibly a fit Kieran Tierney at left back. But not Bale or Ramsay anymore. The squad would have more depth I grant you.

Intriguing too that the Wales wonder decade has not just coincided with the Bale era but also Swansea and Cardiff being premier league regulars. Proud Scots take note and try again to get the Old Firm in the pyramid south of the border to make a true British Premier League.

Couldn't give much of a feck about which league Celtic and Rangers play in (aside from making parking easier in my bit a few days a year) but it'd be lovely to see the proud Brits that make up much of the Rangers' support exporting their culture to English cities on away days.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,057
    Looks like something may have happened at Engels air force base in Russia, home to some of Russia's long-distance bomber fleet.

https://twitter.com/walter_report/status/1599654381145595904

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engels-2_(air_base)
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    edited December 2022
    I noticed Walker taking on the Senegal winger in a race amd coming off second-best. Mbappe will be favourite, so that means a host of niggly fouls.

Corners are becoming farcical. When was shirt-pulling made legal? The shoulder charge was made illegal but the hand-off became normal. The shriek of pain is obligatory when the player feels any contact and when he's forced to leap high into the air.

The referee needs to remember that if they roll over seven times, it means they're not injured. Finally, don't add on twenty minutes when the team deliberately time-waste. Yellow-card for the first offence. A red for the second. Grow a pair.

• Options
    PB's cricket fans are apparently too engrossed to report that, at lunch, Pakistan need 174 to win.
  • Options

moonshine said:

Couldn't give much of a feck about which league Celtic and Rangers play in (aside from making parking easier in my bit a few days a year) but it'd be lovely to see the proud Brits that make up much of the Rangers' support exporting their culture to English cities on away days.
    The recent decline of Scottish football ought to concern the Scottish Government. Scottish teams no longer dominate Europe; Scottish players are no longer significant in the EPL. What's gone wrong up there? School playing fields sold off? It cannot be money or size because Wales is still there.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,521

The head of the police watchdog who resigned after a historical allegation is accused of having an inappropriate relationship with a child aged 14 or 15.

The claim against Michael Lockwood, 63, director-general of the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC), is understood to be sexual in nature, regarding alleged behaviour when he was in his 20s and living in Humberside.

A police source said that he had been under investigation for months but the IOPC, whose job it is to examine police misconduct, was informed only last week. It is understood a file has been sent to the Crown Prosecution Service, which will now make a decision on whether to charge him.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/police-watchdog-chief-had-relations-with-teenager-25lrg68w0

NSPCC is something that I await with interest.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244

moonshine said:

The recent decline of Scottish football ought to concern the Scottish Government. Scottish teams no longer dominate Europe; Scottish players are no longer significant in the EPL. What's gone wrong up there? School playing fields sold off? It cannot be money or size because Wales is still there.
    It’s odd isn’t it. The premier league / first division always used to have a good number of Scots playing for the top sides.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

IIRC the US is already acting *against* machine generated patents. Not sure about copyright.

Patent trolling, there, has made the issue immediate.
  • Options

Looks like something may have happened at Engels air force base in Russia, home to some of Russia's long-distance bomber fleet.

Lucky Strike - cigarette of the year - sponsors random fires and explosions all over Russia.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Great article.

Instead of serving users, the dominant company decides it’s better to control them.

… Why do I need to log in to Reddit to read comments? Why can’t I fix a spelling error on Twitter? Why can’t I find the names of the band members on Spotify? Why is the whole first page of Google search results sometimes filled with paid advertising? Why does TikTok send all my private data to China?

It’s obvious that these companies didn’t do focus groups or market research before making these decisions. Or if they did, they must have ignored what they learned. I can’t imagine a single Spotify user ever saying: “Please make sure you never tell me the members of the band

If it’s free, you are the product.

No one ever cares about the feelings of a can of baked beans.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

Nigelb said:

For a start, quite a lot of new music already has backing tracks generated by AI, and no one’s really noticed.

Initially, it’s going to be an unprecedented productivity tool for those who work out how to use it.
    Software is a great example, as it seems to be able (note I’m a technical ignoramus, so feel free to correct) to do some coding tasks many orders of magnitude faster than a human coder. That doesn’t take the human out if the loop, but it does away with a lot of work previously done by humans.

That’s not something that’s going to be stopped by political policy, public opinion, or market forces.
    The problem with AI writing software is that it occasionally programs the wrong problem, while apparently being happy with the task. Which brings you back to TDD, the limits of such. And turns the AI into an assistant.

There are actually bigger productivity gains with “dumber” tools that drop in chunks of boiler plate code, I think.

Where AI is already growing is things like content moderation. If the machine makes a mistake that is noticed - a human can then delete the post. See Twitter…
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,095

The problem with AI writing software is that it occasionally programs the wrong problem, while apparently being happy with the task. Which brings you back to TDD, the limits of such. And turns the AI into an assistant.

Git copilot is amazing for that.

It creates templated code using variables you have already defined, but occasionally picks the wrong ones, so you get syntactically correct code that runs perfectly and does exactly the wrong thing.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,082
    IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

Nigelb said:

Ok gosh. I’m so sorry @IanB2

I hadn’t realised you weee a meat-thing.

My sympathies

• Options
    Scott_xP said:

It creates templated code using variables you have already defined, but occasionally picks the wrong ones, so you get syntactically correct code that runs perfectly and does exactly the wrong thing.
    Yup. I use a ton of dumb(ish) autocomplete stuff. But never quite trust it.

The history of programming is all about automating the mechanist tasks - getting closer and closer to the core that requires thought.
  • Options
    Zahawi seems to have started something of a trend.

President likens truckers' strike to North Korean nuclear threat
    https://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/article.asp?newsIdx=341159
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    I pretty sure the weekends get shorter along with the days at this time of year.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,743
    IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

Nigelb said:

I think it only a matter of time until AI gets the vote, and at that point would be welcome.

In the meantime we need AI moderation to eliminate all the AI and Galle spam on the site.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,743
    dixiedean said:

I pretty sure the weekends get shorter along with the days at this time of year.

Only a couple of weeks to go till the School term ends.
  • Options

The history of programming is all about automating the mechanist tasks - getting closer and closer to the core that requires thought.

From The Jargon File

Jon Bentley, in the “Bumper-Sticker Computer Science” chapter of his book More Programming Pearls, quotes Dick Sites from DEC as saying “I'd rather write programs to write programs than write programs”.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Three. We break up 23 December.
  • Options
    Herculean effort by Anderson, but I think England are conceding too many runs. And once the spinners come back on...

Pakistan probably still favourites.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

Nigelb said:

I think it only a matter of time until AI gets the vote, and at that point would be welcome.

In the meantime we need AI moderation to eliminate all the AI and Galle spam...
    We're playing Pakistan, not Sri Lanka.

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,347
    edited December 2022
    moonshine said:

moonshine said:

It’s odd isn’t it. The premier league / first division always used to have a good number of Scots playing for the top sides.

Scotland is to ban professional footballers from heading balls before and after matches

If this becomes the norm it is only a short step away from banning heading in football and the end of the game as we know it today

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/nov/28/scottish-footballers-to-be-banned-from-heading-ball-before-and-after-matches?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Great article.

If it’s free, you are the product.

No one ever cares about the feelings of a can of baked beans.
    Instagram Is Over

The app’s original purpose has been lost in the era of “performance” media.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2022/11/instagram-tiktok-twitter-social-media-competition/672305/
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Copilot is occasionally brilliant, but often disastrously wrong.

For writing templates for unit tests, it saves hours.

But if you stupidly let it autocomplete your function, prepare to be frustrated.
  • Options

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Scotland is to ban professional footballers from heading balls before and after matches

If this becomes the norm it is only a short step away from banning heading in football and the end of the game as we know it today

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/nov/28/scottish-footballers-to-be-banned-from-heading-ball-before-and-after-matches?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other
    Good.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Good.
    Good to stop heading or good the end of the game as we know it
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,094
    rcs1000 said:

UK?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

moonshine said:

Would not b elong till Indyref 2 for certain
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    moonshine said:

moonshine said:

MONEY
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Three. We break up 23 December.
    That's leaving it a bit late. Round here, schools break up on the 20th (and return on the 5th).
  • Options
    Asked by
    @MishalHusain if being in the EU single market wd boost UK economic growth, @Keir_Starmer says: “No at this stage I don’t think it would.”

Some will think "at this stage" is a signal to it being possible in future.
    Others will think it's a signal that ship has sailed

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1599679552061521922

Later clarified as “ship has sailed”
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,276
    Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

Nigelb said:

Apparently the same piece of plastic can only be recycled 2 or 3 times before its quality decreases to the point where it can no longer be used.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195
    Nigelb said:

Herculean effort by Anderson, but I think England are conceding too many runs. And once the spinners come back on...

Well played!
  • Options

Asked by
    @MishalHusain if being in the EU single market wd boost UK economic growth, @Keir_Starmer says: “No at this stage I don’t think it would.”

He seems intent on winning red wall seats but upsetting the rest with his anti single market stance
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

UK?
    Trolling aside, there might be a 538-led overrating of Brazil, who have yet to score before half-time.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

Well played!
    But they're still favourites. England only have three seamers and one front-line spinner. The equation isn't encouraging especially since Azhar Ali has resumed batting.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

Nigelb said:

Software is not that great an example. For seven decades, programming grunt work has been progressively removed by higher level languages, libraries and frameworks, yet demand for programmers is higher than ever. What has happened is that programs get bigger and more complex. None of these AI programs wrote themselves.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

From The Jargon File

Jon Bentley, in the “Bumper-Sticker Computer Science” chapter of his book More Programming Pearls, quotes Dick Sites from DEC as saying “I'd rather write programs to write programs than write programs”.
    I'm currently teaching the little 'un trigonometry, and I've written a PHP script that outputs a webpage containing a series of questions about Pythagoras theorem, sohcahtoa and sine/cosine rules using SVG and MathJax.

I've probably spent about three hours coding it, and it's been fun. Except it probably only takes ten seconds to draw a triangle on a piece of paper and label a couple of sides and angles.

Not the most efficient use of my time. ;)

ISTR Douglas Adams wrote something about spending days writing a program to accomplish a task that takes seconds manually. That's my life, that is...
  • Options

Asked by

He seems intent on winning red wall seats but upsetting the rest with his anti single market stance
    However 'upset' other seats are, they will almost certainly still vote Labour. They were hardcore enough to vote Labour under Corbyn, they will vote for him.

Also, who is the alternative? The Liberal Democrats? Possibly the SNP in parts of Scotland but as has been made clear to all but the dimmest Scots they want to leave the British single market and have no very convincing plan for joining the European one.

It's the ones that have drifted away he needs to get a hearing from.

I would say it's shrewd politics regardless of the economics.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,094
    Is there an AI that does World Cup analysis in the style of Robert Smithson:

The Brazil is rightly favourite but The UK has three shutouts and offers value. Its forward line make it a good bet. France is slight favourite to beat it but it might not.
  • Options
    Allegedly Ryazan airbase in Russia has been hit as well. Which., if I've got the right place, is southeast of Moscow.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

MONEY
    Scots don’t like it? Or people with effectively unlimited budgets will hire elsewhere?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

From The Jargon File

I'm currently teaching the little 'un trigonometry, and I've written a PHP script that outputs a webpage containing a series of questions about Pythagoras theorem, sohcahtoa and sine/cosine rules using SVG and MathJax.

I've probably spent about three hours coding it, and it's been fun. Except it probably only takes ten seconds to draw a triangle on a piece of paper and label a couple of sides and angles.

ISTR Douglas Adams wrote something about spending days writing a program to accomplish a task that takes seconds manually. That's my life, that is...
    Why are you teaching trigonometry? Is there not a danger the littl'un will be bored rigid (or into delinquency) when they do it at school, or confused if they use different methods? Might it be better to go wider rather than deeper, and show things not on the curriculum?
  • Options

What a shame, how unfortunate.
  • Options
    Whodathunkit?

Five human rights organisations that wrote to a UN expert defending the gender recognition reform bill have received Scottish government funding, it has emerged.

The charities published a letter to Reem Alsalem, the UN special rapporteur for violence against women and girls, last Wednesday supporting the SNP reforms which, if passed, would allow transgender people to self-identify in order to obtain a gender recognition certificate.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/backers-of-gender-reform-bill-given-scottish-government-funding-xmwxpmdb8
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

From The Jargon File

Assuming they do this again next year, it's brilliant

https://thepihut.com/products/maker-advent-calendar-includes-raspberry-pi-pico-h
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,009

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

Nigelb said:

There are actually bigger productivity gains with “dumber” tools that drop in chunks of boiler plate code, I think.

Where AI is already growing is things like content moderation. If the machine makes a mistake that is noticed - a human can then delete the post. See Twitter…
    AI generated code will fail for 2 simple reasons - maintainability and the need to quickly debug the code if / when things go wrong thanks to weird edge cases.

As you say the real games come from code generators that generate the boiler plate code for you and that's been around for at least 20 odd years. Heck if you call HMTL code (and some incorrect people do) I had a routine to convert Word / Quark Xpress documents into HTML for Wired 27 years ago.
  • Options
    Good piece which makes it clear that the reason these cases are so stupid (cf case against the LGBA) is that the people running the “good law project” are themselves not the sharpest tools in the box. They didn’t know what they were asking the court to do.

https://twitter.com/PhilipHensher/status/1598579070815567873?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

From The Jargon File

Why are you teaching trigonometry? Is there not a danger the littl'un will be bored rigid (or into delinquency) when they do it at school, or confused if they use different methods? Might it be better to go wider rather than deeper, and show things not on the curriculum?
    I was assuming it was a punishment cos now corporal punishment is banned you can't tan his hide for his sins.
  • Options

Asked by

If I’m a cynic I’d say this is pre/agreed

- he goes for the red wall
    - Lib Dem’s much more pro-European and target the blue wall
    - Coalition
    - Labour “reluctantly” accepts Lib Dem position on Europe
  • Options

Asked by

If I’m a cynic I’d say this is pre/agreed

- he goes for the red wall
    - Lib Dem’s much more pro-European and target the blue wall
    - Coalition
    - Labour “reluctantly” accepts Lib Dem position on Europe
    Very possible
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,719
    ydoethur said:

Asked by

However 'upset' other seats are, they will almost certainly still vote Labour. They were hardcore enough to vote Labour under Corbyn, they will vote for him.

Also, who is the alternative? The Liberal Democrats? Possibly the SNP in parts of Scotland but as has been made clear to all but the dimmest Scots they want to leave the British single market and have no very convincing plan for joining the European one.

It's the ones that have drifted away he needs to get a hearing from.

I would say it's shrewd politics regardless of the economics.
    It’s helpful for the Lib Dems and tactical voting, I think. Gives pro-EU Labour voters (of whom there are many, indeed the majority) in the Southern and West Country seats another reason to vote yellow.

It’s bloody annoying though. Either he is knowingly lying for sake of the mythical red wall voters, or he has convinced himself of something the stats simply don’t support.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,425
    Brutally cold weather coming
  • Options

Asked by

At the next GE, Labour can and will put a better deal with the EU in its manifesto. The Tories can’t and won’t. That is a massive dividing line. Of course, delivery is another matter. But if Labour does win, Starmer will have huge space in which to operate because most people won’t care about the technicalities as long as the Rejoin red line is respected.

• Options

moonshine said:

C’mon, Scotland recently held the losing WC quarter finalists to a draw.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

If they can hit that, and Ryazan, how far out of their range is Moscow? Must be getting a bit close...

I will actually wet myself laughing if they can hit the Kremlin. That would be genuinely funny.

Especially if they confine themselves to hitting that and leave the ordinary people of Moscow untouched...
  • Options
    I can't decide if this is premium satire or not

🚨PERSONAL NEWS KLAXON 🚨
    Delighted to share that this week I will be starting a new job as Press Secretary to former Prime Minister @trussliz. Really looking forward to being part of her team.

https://twitter.com/isaby/status/1599687950618398720
  • Options

Good piece which makes it clear that the reason these cases are so stupid (cf case against the LGBA) is that the people running the “good law project” are themselves not the sharpest tools in the box. They didn’t know what they were asking the court to do.

https://twitter.com/PhilipHensher/status/1598579070815567873?

Jolyon gets one step closer to being formally labelled a vexatious litigant by a High Court judge. Who are the idiots still sending him money?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,749
    Leon said:

I confidently predict a bit of Leondamus catastrophising will be blowing in soon.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

🚨PERSONAL NEWS KLAXON 🚨
    Delighted to share that this week I will be starting a new job as Press Secretary to former Prime Minister @trussliz. Really looking forward to being part of her team.

When she says 'press secretary,' is that a job description or an instruction?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

To prove copyright infringement you have to show deliberate copying. It’s a high bar. Can machines have intent?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

MONEY
    Money might explain why Stranraer did not bid for Christiano Ronaldo but not why Scotland cannot produce its own players. If anything, reduced foreign competition should make it easier for Scots to turn professional.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

To prove copyright infringement you have to show deliberate copying. It’s a high bar. Can machines have intent?
    Isn’t the issue the other way around, that the AI can churn out a billion words of text for which it can receive the copyright, so that a future human author finds it almost impossible to avoid infringement?
  • Options
    If Pakistan score 50 more, this will be the highest aggregate of runs in a five day Test match.
  • Options

Asked by

At the next GE, Labour can and will put a better deal with the EU in its manifesto. The Tories can’t and won’t. That is a massive dividing line. Of course, delivery is another matter. But if Labour does win, Starmer will have huge space in which to operate because most people won’t care about the technicalities as long as the Rejoin red line is respected.

Even this morning after his interview on Sky, the presenter commented that he is not addressing the one issue that would generate growth with his rejection of closer ties with the EU and joining the single market

He is painting himself into an unnecessary position that must benefit the Lib Dem's at the next GE
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,749

The Brazil is rightly favourite but The UK has three shutouts and offers value. Its forward line make it a good bet. France is slight favourite to beat it but it might not.

How do we know RCS *isn't* an AI?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,425

Because I’ve met him. And on balance, I’d say Yes he is AI
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Starmer committing to abolishing the lords in his first term?

He has my vote
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,184
    Apparently Southgate has been manager for 40% of England knockout wins at major tournaments.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

If they can hit that, and Ryazan, how far out of their range is Moscow? Must be getting a bit close...

I will actually wet myself laughing if they can hit the Kremlin. That would be genuinely funny.

Especially if they confine themselves to hitting that and leave the ordinary people of Moscow untouched...
    A coincidence I'm sure but there's a Ukrainian arms manufacturer that has just claimed to have tested a suicide drone with a 1,000 km range.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Danger of burst pipes throughout the land if sub-zero weather meets unheated homes, not to mention more deaths.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,879
    edited December 2022
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Isn’t the issue the other way around, that the AI can churn out a billion words of text for which it can receive the copyright, so that a future human author finds it almost impossible to avoid infringement?
    Copyright necessarily involves artistic skill (I forget the precise wording). Even if we are glorified monkeys on glorified typewriters. And creation by a person. And, crucially, legal ownership by the creator, who therefore has to be a person or someone or some body else to which the copyright has been formally assigned. AI can't do that. So the programme would be copyright but not the output.

THe Graun article is raising the rather different issues of student essay plagiarism and 'copyright laundering'.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

🚨PERSONAL NEWS KLAXON 🚨

He gave up his career to join her team in Downing Street. He is currently unemployed

Why are you laughing at him getting a job for Christmas?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Obviously, there are plenty of weapons out there that can hit the Kremlin. The only reason the West hasn’t bombed the hell out of the place, is the fear of repercussions. A fear which is quickly diminishing as the Russian army is shown to be a paper tiger bear.

That said, I doubt it was a missile from Ukraine. Surely the Russians can monitor long-range missiles heading in their direction? Oh…
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Again, though, you have to prove intent. A human being cannot be reasonably expected to have knowledge of everything produced by AI.

• Options
    Leon said:

Because I’ve met him. And on balance, I’d say Yes he is AI
    I nearly met him once, and am therefore convinced he’s not an actual human.
This discussion has been closed.