Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Sajd Javid – the latest CON MP to announce that he’s going – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,768
    Foss said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I think GPT3.5 has been fed seven trillion novels, movies and plays, and it has worked out the basic algorithms of story telling. How to do twists, how to develop plots, how to create conflict between characters, how to evoke drama and tension

Fuck

Commercial creativity was screwed anyway.

We already have more good books, plays, music than even a madman could assimilate in their lifetime. Hence only a handful of people make a living by creating new stuff. Films and TV are a bit further up the doom spiral, but that's mostly about technology. Something like M*A*S*H can play forever on the upper reaches of Freeview because it's so well written. If the picture quality were better, we wouldn't need another dramedy on the madness of war and resilience of the human spirit. That's been done. Everything has been done.

Economically, that will be fine, because everything that matters will become cheap and reliable. The harder bit is what will we do all day? How will we make meaning in our lives?

It's definitely a problem - see minor royals for an extreme example of what can go wrong. But it ought to be a good problem to have. Bottom line is that, for most people, work sucks. . That's why you need to give them money to make them do it.
    But if you take the meaningful pursuit of creativity out of human life, what is left?

We become passive consumers of the brilliant art produced by machines

This is going to be the biggest story of the 2020s (unless the aliens come or the bomb drops). The arrival of AGI. it dwarfs Covid. We’ve been through plagues before. We’ve never encountered anything like this. Electronic angels with supernal and inhuman powers will walk amongst us
    Thats a 0.1% problem - most of the rest of the world is already a passive consumer of (sometimes) brilliant art produced by others.
    Be more understanding of Leon.
    He’s undergoing an existential crisis.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,768
    Tres said:

Chris said:

Leon said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

I just asked ChatGPT

"What's wrong with this line "the cat satted on the mat""

Answer in 1 second:

"There is nothing inherently wrong with the sentence "the cat satted on the mat." It is a grammatically correct sentence that uses proper English syntax. The only potential issue with the sentence is that the verb "satted" is not a commonly used word, so some readers may not be familiar with it. It might be more clear to use the word "sat" instead of "satted" in this sentence."

FWIW this is a wrong answer altogether. 'Sit' is a strong verb, the perfect is 'sat'. If it were a weak verb the perfect would be 'sitted' not 'satted'. (As in 'pit' 'pitted'.)

Is this the same mind that wrote that Shakesperian sonnet (post above) that was not remotely Shakesperian?

I never said it was right. I said it was interestingly wrong

As for the sonnet, if you could do better in TWO SECONDS do show us, and make sure to include lines as good as the final couplet
    My pocket calculator can work out the square root of 3,645,678 in the blink of an eye, but that doesn't make it more intelligent than me.
    I always assumed you were an Iain Banks fan. I thought one of the interesting things about the Culture was that Minds, humanoids and drones all existed on terms of some kind of parity, despite the disparity in their levels of intelligence.
    nah in the later novels the humans were essentially pets.
    But pets with the illusion, sometimes even a degree of agency.
  • DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792
    edited December 2022

The social pool these schools draw from has certainly declined in recent years ; in the 1980's and 1990's, the more "intellectual" public schools - Winchester, Westminster, St. Paul's, etc .. certainly had many more from media, academe and the arts. Because of the arms race in resources, and the fact that they fixed their prices in a cartel for many years without being caught, a much greater proportion are already from the global super-rich. Labour's policy will simply remove the last members of the professional middle classes who aren't on a bursary.

A government with a Commons majority could suspend the schools' royal charters and put their assets into administration. Or it could say the charters must be renewed. (Eton, Winchester, and Westminster all have RCs - not sure about St Paul's but they probably do too.) There are also provisions in several previous Acts that affect the top "public" schools. They could be altered. These schools are fictitious legal persons that operate under state licences.

Back in the 1970s there was talk at Eton of moving the school to France. Much of the money that gets paid to top public schools nowadays from Hong Kong, Mainland China, Russia, Germany, the Gulf, etc., is for the entrée to English ruling class culture and for the company of the ~100 families. It would be peculiar if an Eton 2.0 could operate in say France (HK billionaire sends sons to school in France to learn how to be ~English) without having been allowed to keep any of the assets previously owned by Eton, but that would be for Mélenchon to sort out and the best of luck to him.

This discussion has been closed.