Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Biden needs to make clear now that he won’t run in 2024 – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,929
    dixiedean said:

DougSeal said:

DJ41 said:

Heathener said:

Biden would be 86 this time in 6 years which is mid 80's not late 80's

He stumbles over a few words but seems pretty physically agile. I'd rather have him than a zippy younger nutjob.

Very good article in today's i about how ageing & how it's a myth that ageing mean irreversible decline.

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/how-reverse-age-reset-your-biological-clock-1961196

And besides, Strom Thurmond was a Senator until he was 101. Marvellous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strom_Thurmond

Don't be ageist @MikeSmithson

@Heathener , @Ishmael_Z - I realise Biden was born on 20 November and will therefore be 86⅙ on inauguration day 2028, but when do the mid 80s change into the late 80s? Is it on a person's 87th birthday? Then by symmetry their mid 80s would have to begin on their 83rd birthday. Somehow that doesn't sound right.
    Gosh, I've just realised that Joe Biden has the privilege of sharing my birthday. Didn't know
    that. The date, not the year, obviously.
    The only remotely famous person I’m aware of that shared my birthday was J. Edgar Hoover. Which isn’t ideal.

Try Pinochet. And Dominic Cummings.
    Although. If you extend to either born or died on my birthday there's a forward line for the ages.
    Maradona, Eusebio and George Best
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Gretchin Whitmer, fsced down kodnapping attempts and a hostile state house. Great story.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Leon said:

The best result for AMERICA is a solid De Santis win in 2024

That's a route back to political sanity for the whole nation, and a long step away from the civil war precipice

De Santis is rightwing and anti-Woke enough to be entirely agreeable to the Republicans (apart from the outright QAnon nutters) BUT he is not an election denier, he's not mad, Trump dislikes and fears him (a good sign), and he might actually be a good, clever president. So the left can at least tolerate De Santis (apart from the ultra-woke, but they are as bad and as intractable as the QAnon types on the right, and should be ignored for the same reason)

Say De Santis wins two terms, by the end the Democrats should have purged their Marxist nutters and they will then offer a young centrist candidate who then wins for the Dems. And America is saved!

De Santis is the optimistic option for the USA. Trump remains the nightmare

De Santis seems to think he is sent by god. That’s a bit of a worry.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,243
    Leon said:

That's a route back to political sanity for the whole nation, and a long step away from the civil war precipice

De Santis is rightwing and anti-Woke enough to be entirely agreeable to the Republicans (apart from the outright QAnon nutters) BUT he is not an election denier, he's not mad, Trump dislikes and fears him (a good sign), and he might actually be a good, clever president. So the left can at least tolerate De Santis (apart from the ultra-woke, but they are as bad and as intractable as the QAnon types on the right, and should be ignored for the same reason)

Say De Santis wins two terms, by the end the Democrats should have purged their Marxist nutters and they will then offer a young centrist candidate who then wins for the Dems. And America is saved!

De Santis is the optimistic option for the USA.
    Trump remains the nightmare

Really there should be a massive campaign to register as many anti trump people as possible as Republican in time for the primaries, to endorse De Santis and kick out Trump from national politics once and for all. It’s just too risky to presume the democrat candidate would beat him. Reminds me of all the Tory morons that paid 3 quid to pick Corbyn. Bloody close run thing that was.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Also the book banning, refernedum overturning and anti-LGBT legislation.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,072

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Biden would still be more electable than Harris.

Though yes a younger more centrist candidate like Biden's Transport Secretary and 2020 candidate Buttigieg would be the Democrats best bet. Especially if De Santis beats Trump for the GOP nomination, as in 2020 a lot of Biden votes were anti Trump rather than for him

Although I noted your post yesterday saying that 30% of the electorate, inc many Dems and Independents, wouldn't vote for a gay president?
    Most of those saying they wouldn't vote for a gay President were Republicans and 70% said they would vote for a gay President and Buttigieg only needs 45 to 50% to win, less than that if DeSantis is GOP nominee and Trump runs as an independent. Clinton won with just 43% in 1992 v Bush 41 and Perot
    Only 70% said they would inc 46% of Republicans per your survey. That's not good for any gay candidate if it's true. But maybe it isn't. I didn’t delve.
    Looking at the margins it doesnt need much impact. A deciding factor for a few % is enough
    I'd like to think it isn't an issue but my point is that Hy's figures imply it possibly is.
  • Options
    I wonder if the Catholic Church will beatify Biden. People have been made saints for less than coming out of retirement to save the world from MAGA.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,572
    DougSeal said:

DJ41 said:

Heathener said:

He stumbles over a few words but seems pretty physically agile. I'd rather have him than a zippy younger nutjob.

Very good article in today's i about how ageing & how it's a myth that ageing mean irreversible decline.

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/how-reverse-age-reset-your-biological-clock-1961196

@Heathener , @Ishmael_Z - I realise Biden was born on 20 November and will therefore be 86⅙ on inauguration day 2028, but when do the mid 80s change into the late 80s? Is it on a person's 87th birthday? Then by symmetry their mid 80s would have to begin on their 83rd birthday. Somehow that doesn't sound right.
    Gosh, I've just realised that Joe Biden has the privilege of sharing my birthday. Didn't know
    The only remotely famous person I’m aware of that shared my birthday was J. Edgar Hoover. Which isn’t ideal.

L. Ron Hubbard for me.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Leon said:

He doesn't. He is just playing to the gallery.

It's the gallery that is the worry.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789
    Sadly, Lauren Boebert looks like she will slither back into House. She's now 500 ahead. The NYT called this one correctly.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Ishmael_Z said:

DougSeal said:

DJ41 said:

Heathener said:

Paul Revere, EM Forster, Dana Andrews, JD Salinger, Joe Orton, Kim Philby
    Some confusion here. Those are Jan 1 ers for @DougSeal
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

He doesn't. He is just playing to the gallery.

It's the gallery that is the worry.
    So he’s just pretending to be sent by god. Classy guy.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

DougSeal said:

DJ41 said:

Heathener said:

Although. If you extend to either born or died on my birthday there's a forward line for the ages.
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

DougSeal said:

DJ41 said:

Heathener said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

DougSeal said:

DJ41 said:

Heathener said:

Hogmanay bender, and last for a couple of days in hospital?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,816
    MikeL said:

Douglas County will give Laxalt a net gain of 2k to 2.5k.

On its own, nowhere near enough to change previous analysis but question is how much is left in all other rural counties?

flogging a dead horse IMO

I reckon +25k for Dems in Clark

About 15k of the 90k declared later this evening.

If I am right would expect a 5k advantage, same as yesterday, on that 15k for CM on that tranch with 5 more lots of that size to come up until Thursday 16/11/22
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Also the book banning, refernedum overturning
    and anti-LGBT legislation.
    “In 2018, he told the Sun-Sentinel that he "doesn't want any discrimination in Florida, I want people to be able to live their life, whether you're gay or whether you're religious."

Yup. So far so liberal.

“DeSantis signed the Fairness in Women's Sports Act (SB 1028). It bans transgender girls and women from participating and competing in middle-school and high-school girls' and college women's sports competitions in Florida.”

A view in line with such far right firebrands as Dame Kelly Holmes.

“DeSantis voiced his support for the Florida Parental Rights in Education Act, often called the "Don't Say Gay" law by its opponents, which would prohibit instruction on sexual orientation or gender identity in school classrooms from kindergarten to grade 3. He said it was "entirely inappropriate" for teachers and school administrators to talk to students about their gender identity.”

Quite uncontroversial to mainstream America I would have thought for kids ages 3-8 to be spared sex ed.

• Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

DougSeal said:

DJ41 said:

Heathener said:

Paul Revere, EM Forster, Dana Andrews, JD Salinger, Joe Orton, Kim Philby
    ...your boys took a helllll of a beating!
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,567
    Another canary in the UK economic mine looks distinctly less, erm canary, yellow than Norwegian blue: the stats for children and meals.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2022/nov/10/children-not-eligible-for-free-school-meals-going-hungry-say-teachers
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,900
    Lmao, Maricopa has 400,000 left to count and wont be done till 'next week' (CNN)
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    edited November 2022
    Why do the right-wing fruitcakes on here think that De Santis is the answer? He’s not impressive at all. Trump will make mince-meat of him. Watch this space - Trump will be the GOP candidate.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Quite uncontroversial to mainstream America I would have thought for kids ages 3-8 to be spared sex ed.

Pupils knowing a teacher is gay is not sex ed.
  • Options
    edited November 2022

Hey, I only just played the clip.

The man has a stammer. Wtf are people going on about?

Saying that the US has 54 states was odd. Talking about how his son died in Iraq when he didn’t was concerning.
  • Options
    On topic: nah, he’ll run, and he’ll get the nom.

He’ll see these results as a vindication of his presidency and his fear that another candidate elected through a contest primary may prove to be too far to the left. He is going to cling on.

Even with his current weaknesses and age, he has a good chance against Trump. But I think if DeSantis is the nominee, he’s going to be up against it.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

DJ41 said:

Heathener said:

L. Ron Hubbard for me.
    Bit of a Danish vibe for me, Sweyn Forkbeard and Karen Blixen. I'll take that.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Though yes a younger more centrist candidate like Biden's Transport Secretary and 2020 candidate Buttigieg would be the Democrats best bet. Especially if De Santis beats Trump for the GOP nomination, as in 2020 a lot of Biden votes were anti Trump rather than for him

Although I noted your post yesterday saying that 30% of the electorate, inc many Dems and Independents, wouldn't vote for a gay president?
    People say all kinds of things to pollsters that they don't follow through with when they actually vote.
    Yep. But I'd have thought this would skew the other way and make it worse - ie more people would say they're cool with a gay prez when they aren't than would say they aren't when they are.
  • Options

Lmao, Maricopa has 400,000 left to count and wont be done till 'next week' (CNN)

Gut feel - and if it follows what happened in 2020 - I think that's good for Lake and Masters. That's a large number of votes and, given the Maricopa machines had problems on the day, my guess is many of those are election day voters, which would favour the GOP.

• Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,185
    edited November 2022
    About this time last week, towards the end of a twelve and a half hour shift, I strode extremely confidently into a low black metal gate on my route. I knew that it was there; I've opened it at least thirty times in the last six weeks

But I couldn't see it in the dark, and completely forgot about it. I managed to hit both of my knees on the gate, and to kick my right foot under it, whacking my ankle and my shin in two places right into it

My shin area is so swollen that the top of my sock has made it look like there's a dent in my shin, until I notice that the "dent" goes all the way round. I've walked about two hundred thousand steps since then, and a hundred thousand of them have hurt

I'm pretty sure it's nothing serious. Probably just soft tissue damage: I wouldn't have been able to work, and walk so much, if it had been a fracture. I'm possibly delaying my recovery by not resting, but I can't afford any time off

So, I decided I needed light. And I bought myself a headlight, which arrived today

Even before enjoying its benefits at work, I've found them at home. Crossing my street can be quite dangerous, due to the Dura-wannabe wankers that race up it

The headlight is bright enough to slow them down; the flash setting grinds them to a fucking halt

I'm going to look for one with a blue flashing light setting
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,684
    The De Santis ‘god sent me’ ad was squarely aimed at the large constituency of highly religious, socially conservative Hispanic Catholics in Florida. And it worked. He won Hispanic votes in unprecedented numbers, for a Republican

I predict that he would do the same across the USA

America is running out of good choices for 2024. A narrow win by an obviously senile Biden would be almost as bad as Trump Redux

C’mon Ron
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

People say all kinds of things to pollsters that they don't follow through with when they actually vote.
    Yep. But I'd have thought this would skew the other way and make it worse - ie more people would say they're cool with a gay prez when they aren't than would say they aren't when they are.
    That seems a surprisingly high proportion of the electorate but then again we must always remind ourselves that America is a much more religious society than the UK.

• Options
    edited November 2022

Gut feel - and if it follows what happened in 2020 - I think that's good for Lake and Masters. That's a large number of votes and, given the Maricopa machines had problems on the day, my guess is many of those are election day voters, which would favour the GOP.

I agree, not sure if enough for Masters but Lake i think wins as does the GOP AG
    Edit - and probably the two remaining house seats go red too
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789
    murali_s said:

Why do the right-wing fruitcakes on here think that De Santis is the answer? He’s not impressive at all. Trump will make mince-meat of him. Watch this space - Trump will be the GOP candidate.

Trump is now the worst thing he can possibly be. LOSER. That's why I don't rate any likelihood of his running as an independent. He would lost badly, and he knows it.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    murali_s said:

I’ve never seen him on telly before so can’t comment on his impressiveness. Merely pointing out that his public policy positions do not appear to be extreme but fairly mainstream. And that’s to be celebrated. Whether Trump wins the nom or not will depend almost entirely on the makeup of registered Republicans. You might be right. But I think it’s too early to say what that might look like.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,935
    moonshine said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

That seems a surprisingly high proportion of the electorate but then again we must always remind ourselves that America is a much more religious society than the UK.

We have a higher percentage of Muslims than the US though and many of them would not vote for a gay PM
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

murali_s said:

Trump is now the worst thing he can possibly be. LOSER. That's why I don't rate any likelihood of his running as an independent. He would lost badly, and he knows it.
    Hooked on attention though.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Jonathan said:

I wonder if the Catholic Church will beatify Biden. People have been made saints for less than coming out of retirement to save the world from MAGA.

De Santis is also Roman Catholic and more strict on abortion etc so the Vatican wins either way if it is Biden v DeSantis. While Roman Catholics have been presidential nominees before, Biden obviously, Kerry and JFK of course that would be the first time both the GOP and Democrats have nominated Roman Catholic nominees.

Trump is Presbyterian, Harris Baptist of part Hindu heritage and Buttigieg is Episcopalian so Rome would be less keen on them!
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,095
    dixiedean said:

DougSeal said:

DJ41 said:

Heathener said:

Ugh. What a combination for you.

One a mad fascist with a small brain and a malign habit of smashing everything that got in his way, coupled with a total inability to tell the truth about anything.

And the other, the ex-President of Chile.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,961
    edited November 2022

DougSeal said:

DJ41 said:

Heathener said:

L. Ron Hubbard for me.
    Gustav Mahler in my case. That was enough - stopped looking after that.

He’s precisely 103 years older than I am.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,047
    Cracking interview with the wonderfully named, wild eyed, Indigo Rumbelow from Just Stop Oil.

https://twitter.com/skynews/status/1590782358554546176?s=61&t=1Y3AytAxn0mBu-hNOH86TQ
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

moonshine said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

We have a higher percentage of Muslims than the US though and many of them would not vote for a gay PM
    Or a Hindu PM?
  • Options
    moonshine said:

murali_s said:

I’ve never seen him on telly before so can’t comment on his impressiveness. Merely pointing out that his public policy positions do not appear to be extreme but fairly mainstream. And that’s to be celebrated. Whether Trump wins the nom or not will depend almost entirely on the makeup of registered Republicans. You might be right. But I think it’s too early to say what that might look like.
    I’ve seen him a few times. He can be brittle and prickly. He’s definitely on the right, which will put many off. He’s a Republican

But he’s bright, cunning, a tad ruthless - also sane, apparently quite honest, family-oriented and basically patriotic. And not 79 years old
  • Options

DougSeal said:

DJ41 said:

Heathener said:

L. Ron Hubbard for me.
    Gustav Mahler in my case. That was enough - stopped looking after that.

He’s precisely 103 years older than I am.
    Fair enough, likely to be downhill from there.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

And this when you thought the advantage lay with CCM in Nevada....(important Ralston tweet)

https://twitter.com/ralstonreports/status/1590778229941379073?s=46&t=kWXfogyBD9pgrwB8FUQqKA

5-6k I read. Not enough imo.
  • Options
    edited November 2022

HYUFD said:

moonshine said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Or a Hindu PM?
    We will see in 2024, Leicester not encouraging on that
  • Options
    Leon said:

moonshine said:

murali_s said:

I’ve seen him a few times. He can be brittle and prickly. He’s definitely on the right, which will put many off. He’s a Republican

But he’s bright, cunning, a tad ruthless - also sane, apparently quite honest, family-oriented and basically patriotic. And not 79 years old
    He seems to realise that Putin is a baddie which is a good start.
  • Options

And this when you thought the advantage lay with CCM in Nevada....(important Ralston tweet)

https://twitter.com/ralstonreports/status/1590778229941379073?s=46&t=kWXfogyBD9pgrwB8FUQqKA

Up to 7K said the original linked tweet plus some mail-ins

The more pertinent point is whether there are other rurals with similar unexpected large number of postal service to come
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,914
    HYUFD said:

EPG said:

It is way too early to talk about DeSantis as nominee except if generating column inches. He won well this week against an ex-Republican governor but he needs to do the job in most of 49 other states, including some evangelical electorates.

The Democrats best hope is DeSantis wins the nomination narrowly after a bitter and divisive primary battle with Trump that lasts for months, then Trump runs as an independent.

Their second best hope is they face Trump again, their worst scenario is DeSantis wins the GOP nomination clearly and Trump then reluctantly endorses him
    I think that's absolutely spot on.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

DJ41 said:

Heathener said:

L. Ron Hubbard for me.
    William Wordsworth and David Frost (as in TW3 and Breakfast with Frost) for me.

Plus it's the likely actual date of Jesus' crucifixion before it became a moveable feast.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

murali_s said:

Quite. He’s ex-Navy Seal

If 2024 is a rerun of Trump v Biden that will be utterly toxic - and politically catastrophic for the USA
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

murali_s said:

Has he been consistent on that or is he one of those types who used to like Putey's antiwoke protector of Christian values credentials?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

De Santis is also Roman Catholic and more strict on abortion etc so the Vatican wins either way if it is Biden v DeSantis. While Roman Catholics have been presidential nominees before, Biden obviously, Kerry and JFK of course that would be the first time both the GOP and Democrats have nominated Roman Catholic nominees.

Trump is Presbyterian, Harris Baptist of part Hindu heritage and Buttigieg is Episcopalian so Rome would be less keen on them!
    What would be Donald's core beliefs as a Presbyterian then?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Whatever his beliefs as a Presbyterian, his core belief is the greatness and splendour of Donald J. Trump.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,419
    murali_s said:

He seems to talk about Woke-ism even more than Trump does.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,482
    Taz said:

Cracking interview with the wonderfully named, wild eyed, Indigo Rumbelow from Just Stop Oil.

https://twitter.com/skynews/status/1590782358554546176?s=61&t=1Y3AytAxn0mBu-hNOH86TQ

Indeed a cracker. She had no intention of abiding by the rules of interviews, and of course no belief that there were any weak points in her case.

Her particular way of not answering the question (in that respect alone she conformed to the norm) was richly enjoyable, and including the novel technique of not allowing him to ask it in the first place. Recommended. Five stars.

• Options
    How often do the various EU Presidents get "voted" in and out?
  • Options

I mean, when can VDL and Michel be unelected by their demos?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,109
    Leon said:

Hmm...that man of god, or maybe just God actually, video he did was positively weird. But then I am not an American.
  • Options

And who is their demos?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,895
    Leon said:

Obviously right. Biden is about as lucid as my Mum, who is - sadly - not very lucid. And my Mum does not intend to run America for another six years

Biden would be 82 at the next election, and 86 when he leaves office. Ridiculous. He can barely talk coherently, now

Biden is the most underestimated political leader of our time. Discuss.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,946
    edited November 2022
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

No bishops presumably.
    Perhaps bashing one in specific cases.
  • Options
    Tempted to cash out on my GOP majority senate bet for a near 75% loss.

I never learn. Betting on the Trumpton GOP is a valid fucking loser.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

No Bishops presumably.
    Perhaps bashing them in specific cases.
    I mitre guessed you would have said that.

Surprising he doesn't like Bishops given he seems to spend lots of time with many crooks.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Sadly most of the USA Catholic Church hierarchy is PART of MAGA. In particular scum like Tiny Tim Can-You-Believe-It's-a-Cardinal Dolan.

The crowd that cheered when Callista, the Third Mrs Newt Gingrich, showed up in Rome as fucking American Ambassador to the freaking Holy See. With her adultery dividend on her arm.

Politico-theological equivalent of taking a dump on the high altar in St Peter's Basilica.
  • Options

Or Ms Truss or Mr Sunak?

For the purposes of this discussion, the Conservative Party does not count as a demos. Even though some of it on here seem to think it has a fixed role within the constitution.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Or Ms Truss or Mr Sunak?

For the purposes of this discussion, the Conservative Party does not count as a demos. Even though some of it on here seem to think it has a fixed role within the constitution.
    Truss and Sunak were both elected to Parliament, and have been chosen from within Parliament's elected members to lead Parliament.

Who elected VDL and Michel?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

murali_s said:

One of the subtle important ways that Johnson is less awful than Trump.

Johnson would smell the decay and walk away, as he did a few weeks ago. Trump? Not so sure.
  • Options

I would also expect a few more in Elko, maybe a couple of thousand unless they've already happened.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Sadly most of the USA Catholic Church hierarchy is PART of MAGA. In particular scum like Tiny Tim Can-You-Believe-It's-a-Cardinal Dolan.

The crowd that cheered when Callista, the Third Mrs Newt Gingrich, showed up in Rome as fucking American Ambassador to the freaking Holy See. With her adultery dividend on her arm.

Politico-theological equivalent of taking a dump on the high altar in St Peter's Basilica.
    52% of US Catholic voters though voted for Biden in 2020, compared to 76% of Protestant evangelicals who voted for Trump

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_United_States_presidential_election
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Alistair said:

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Also the book banning, refernedum overturning
    and anti-LGBT legislation.
    “In 2018, he told the Sun-Sentinel that he "doesn't want any discrimination in Florida, I want people to be able to live their life, whether you're gay or whether you're religious."

Yup. So far so liberal.

“DeSantis signed the Fairness in Women's Sports Act (SB 1028). It bans transgender girls and women from participating and competing in middle-school and high-school girls' and college women's sports competitions in Florida.”

A view in line with such far right firebrands as Dame Kelly Holmes.

“DeSantis voiced his support for the Florida Parental Rights in Education Act, often called the "Don't Say Gay" law by its opponents, which would prohibit instruction on sexual orientation or gender identity in school classrooms from kindergarten to grade 3. He said it was "entirely inappropriate" for teachers and school administrators to talk to students about their gender identity.”

You're being a teensy bit disingenuous with the last one. Because, it doesn't just prevent discussion of gender identity in elementary schools. If it did, it would be largely unobjectionable.

For a start, it doesn't just apply to very young children:

For the first group (grades K–3), it imposes an absolute ban on “classroom instruction … on sexual orientation or gender identity.” For the second group (grades 4–12), it imposes a partial ban, outlawing instruction that is “not age appropriate or developmentally appropriate … in accordance with state standards.”

Secondly, it's not just gender, it is also sexual orientation.

This is Section 28 on steroids.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Taz said:

Indeed a cracker. She had no intention of abiding by the rules of interviews, and of course no belief that there were any weak points in her case.

Her particular way of not answering the question (in that respect alone she conformed to the norm) was richly enjoyable, and including the novel technique of not allowing him to ask it in the first place. Recommended. Five stars.

'Its disgsusting!'
    Lolapalooza
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

No Bishops presumably.

Surprising he doesn't like Bishops given he seems to spend lots of time with many crooks.
    Is it time for another round of arch commentary dressed up as puns?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Or Ms Truss or Mr Sunak?

Truss and Sunak were both elected to Parliament, and have been chosen from within Parliament's elected members to lead Parliament.

The Leaders of the Governments of the European Union?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

No Bishops presumably.

There's no better cure for a miserable few days than a good pun.
  • Options
    House GOP almost drifted to 1.2
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Or Ms Truss or Mr Sunak?

So no voters then.

No more democratically elected than the Archbishop of Canterbury.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

moonshine said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Also a lot more in the C of E (merely being 'in the Anglican Communion' doesn't count as different A churches have different policies anyway). And you're always going on about how outrageous it would be for the C of E to be made to follow the law of the land and marry gay couples.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,101

No, no, you don’t understand. The EU was always about democracy. Never about stitching up jobs for those who’ve failed in their careers within their own countries.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Or Ms Truss or Mr Sunak?

They were originally supposed to come from the largest party in the European Parliament but since dropped
  • Options
    Taz said:

In the interests of driving @Leon completely potty, can you please only post Mastadon links in future.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Biden would be 86 this time in 6 years which is mid 80's not late 80's. A mere whippersnapper compared to Senator Strom Thurmond who retired from Congress at the age of 101. Marvellous.

Okay so Joe Biden stumbles over a few words but seems pretty physically agile. I'd rather have him than a zippy younger evangelical zealot.

Very good article in today's i on ageing and about how it's a myth that ageing mean irreversible decline.

Don't be ageist @MikeSmithson !

I think this is a UK-centric story. We're not used to ageing politicians who live the American dream and stay fit and sprightly. Most of the ageing old tory crusties look like they're on death's door. Sir Edward Leigh is the spit of Rowley Birkin QC.
    I agree, in America it's seen as a sign of fitness and vigour - living the dream, as you say - and retirement in old age has a bit of a stigma.

HMQ went well into her 90s - albeit with increasing problems - and Biden will run and
    calibrate how he does the Presidency accordingly
    for his age if he wants to.
    Yes he’s blessed with one of the strongest and most popular Veep’s of recent decades to do all the heavy lifting.

Oops. Walked into the list there.
  • Options

Not sure why, looks good for 221 or 222 total
  • Options
    That's some serious drifting in the House betting. I got some on at 1.24

Not sure what's driving it.
  • Options
    Let's assume the 6000 in Douglas break exactly as the current vote so far did.

That would be Laxalt +2000
    Give Elko 2000 more votes and that get Laxalt another +1200

CArson City has 2000 mail ballot but is only a 55/42 Laxalt county so that's a +200

Lyon, the biggest rural county left has no pending mailto count. No other rural county looks likely to have much mail to process (and soe have said they are all done so far)

So Laxalt gets maybe +3500 from the Rurals.

That isn't enough to overturn the projected vote split in Washoe and Clark.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,339

The Thatcherite loons on here who like to attack the public sector should reflect, occasionally, on stuff like this in places like the US and think about all the things in the U.K. that “just work” and why that is.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

moonshine said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Also a lot more in the C of E (merely being 'in the Anglican Communion' doesn't count as different A churches have different policies anyway). And you're always going on about how outrageous it would be for the C of E to be made to follow the law of the land and marry gay couples.
    Yes but Anglicans are far more likely to be pro gay marriage than Muslims, Episcopalians already conduct gay marriage and the Bishop of Oxford etc want the C of E to follow suit.

https://www.churchtimes.co.uk/articles/2022/4-march/news/uk/yougov-poll-more-than-half-of-anglicans-believe-same-sex-marriage-to-be-right

No Muslim Imams perform gay marriages and half of British Muslims in one poll thought homosexuality should be illegal again in the UK

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/apr/11/british-muslims-strong-sense-of-belonging-poll-homosexuality-sharia-law
  • Options

No, no, you don’t understand. The EU was always about democracy. Never about stitching up jobs for those who’ve failed in their careers within their own countries.
    *Cough* House of Lords *Cough*
  • Options
    edited November 2022

Sean_F said:

murali_s said:

One of the subtle important ways that Johnson is less awful than Trump.

Johnson would smell the decay and walk away, as he did a few weeks ago. Trump? Not so sure.
    Trump is a moral disciple of David Hume:

"It is not contrary to reason to prefer the destruction of the whole world to the scratching of my finger".

A creed common with narcissists among others.
  • Options
    biggles said:

The Thatcherite loons on here who like to attack the public sector should reflect, occasionally, on stuff like this in places like the US and think about all the things in the U.K. that “just work” and why that is.
    I'm more concerned about how unlikely it is to keep working the way things are going.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

No Bishops presumably.

sounds a bit CROOKed to me.
  • Options

Not sure why, looks good for 221 or 222 total
    It's helping me mitigate my Senate losses all the time.

Now, +£209 House but sadly -£327 Senate.

Unless Laxalt takes Nevada. In which case I'm pretty.
  • Options

*Cough* House of Lords *Cough*
    Some, eg Lords Mandelson and Patten and Jenkins managed the double, both EU Commission and House of Lords without ever having to grubby their hands asking the public to vote them there
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    Alistair said:

I would also expect a few more in Elko, maybe a couple of thousand unless they've already happened.
    Colton Lochhead saying 1k to count from Elko.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,339
    Sean_F said:

murali_s said:

It’s dangerous to try and put yourself in his mind, but isn’t the risk that he already thinks he’s labelled “loser” so why not roll the dice and try and reverse it?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

Hmm...that man of god, or maybe just God actually, video he did was positively weird. But then I am not an American.
    How many times is democracy mentioned in the Bible?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Or Ms Truss or Mr Sunak?

So no voters then.

No more democratically elected than the Archbishop of Canterbury.
    Or the Pope?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

moonshine said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

To be precise the law of the land is that CoE clergy cannot marry gay couples. It is enshrined in statute.

• Options

Tempted to cash out on my GOP majority senate bet for a near 75% loss.

I never learn. Betting on the Trumpton GOP is a valid fucking loser.

Same.

That said laying Trump as next President is a nice 17% return on your money in 2 years.

Better than any bank. Not quite high enough to beat compound inflation, but pretty good.
  • Options
    biggles said:

Sean_F said:

murali_s said:

It’s dangerous to try and put yourself in his mind, but isn’t the risk that he already thinks he’s labelled “loser” so why not roll the dice and try and reverse it?
    Or he's so far into an Egyptian River now that he thinks he has convinced himself that he was ROBBED and that he is the GREATEST OF ALL TIME.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,894
    Fuck off I'm on Biden at 2-1 for the nom
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,838
This discussion has been closed.