Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The MidTerms: The staggering amounts of money being spent – politicalbetting.com

13»

Comments

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    GOP Nevada Senate Candidate available @1.38
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,913
    Andy_JS said:

I don't think the GOP will get Arizona or New Hampshire. PA and GA will be very close, and Nevada looks like a Republican win.

Not betting on it but i think GOP senate wins in Ga, Pa, Az and Nv, Dem hold NH (just). Prize for 'surprisingly close' Washington State.
    Florida looks to be going further into the red column
  • Options
    pm215pm215 Posts: 933

Does the normal employee stuff apply to MPs and ministers anyway? If a PM wants to, they can hire and fire pretty much at will.

It does not -- MPs (and Ministers) aren't treated as employees, they're "office holders" (see the answer to this FOIA request and this one). So the PM is not 'firing' a minister in the usual employer-and-employee sense of the word.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645

Sandpit said:

Er, what? 0.3 billion spent on the Pennsylvanian senate race? Assume there is an order of magnitude error there or I am reading it wrong??

Yep. $0.3 BILLION.

That’s John Fetterman and Mehmut Oz, possibly the two most unsuitable candidates up for election today, and all the polls have nothing between them.
    And then the poor sods spend most of their time in office on phone banks to bring in the money to remain in office.

There has to be a better way.
    There are lots of better ways. But given the legal stance on 'free speech' re spending, is there any appetite to do anything?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I'm tempted on that.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Alistair said:

Fucking America man

https://eu.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/elections/2022/11/08/election-day-2022-arizona-live-voting-updates-across-state/8267101001/

Maricopa County officials reported problems with ballot tabulators at 20% of voting centers on Tuesday morning.

Hopefully once Katie Hobbs gets her arse handed to her this will improve for 2024. Mari cannae Copa
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Ishmael_Z said:

MattW said:

Good afternoon

I expect Williamson's tenure to be coming to an end following due process, and certainly it is a distraction that is not needed by Rishi

However, Bloomberg is reporting that the UK and EU are close to a break through on Northern Ireland and they attribute today's strengthining pound to this

I have sensed for some time Rishi is far more pragmatic on controversial issues , and I expect his meeting with Macron will see the channel crossings problem addressed to our mutual benefit, as I expect Macron's outer EU nation proposals to be seriously discussed and considered

When do we get the result of the investigation into the alleged bullying by Williamson?

If I have understood this correctly, I'm still slightly bemused by a Chief Whip complaining about bullying. Isn't that what they exist to do themselves?

And if the report I have seen in the Guardian documents the whole thing, such an allegation now looks to me at least in part like revenge taken cold - which dissension is perhaps more worrying for the Tories than the thing itself.

"Vile" and "threatening" seems a little overegged - he just seems pissed off, and I can't see anything that can be called "misogynistic". Unless there is a claim that a theoretical man in the same position would not have had the same reaction.

I've not commented on other party's reactions, since they would say what they are saying regardless of what actually happened.

I'm going off these reports:
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/nov/08/gavin-williamson-under-growing-pressure-over-bullying-accusations
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/nov/05/gavin-williamson-faces-inquiry-over-abusive-messages-to-wendy-morton
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/nov/04/rishi-sunak-under-pressure-over-gavin-williamson-vile-messages-to-wendy-morton
    I cannot see any mitigation for Williamson but everyone, even him, are permitted due process

There is an irony in that is reported that in 2006 Wendy Morton and 5 other conservative councillors were found guilty of bullying themselves apparently

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/1078280.councillors-resign-following-row-swearing-chamber/
    No they aren't. In a normal job, you tell a colleague to fuck off in writing, you get fired. Just like that. None of this We must wait for Sue Wossname to report in 6 months time, and not prejudge her findings.
    Not in this country you aren't. You'd need to do something a lot more than tell someone to f*ck off to get fired on the spot.

But ministers sure can.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,544
    edited November 2022
    Pro_Rata said:

Just had a quick peruse of the updated boundary review in my areas of interest.

I think in previous boundary cycles the updates have been minor, but this time the need to keep within a tight size bound means the 2021 -> 2022 updates are in many cases as substantial as the original review

So, for instance, the total clockwise rotation of the Tameside seats in 2021 (Ashton taking Stalybridge, Hyde taking Denton and the Droylsden bit that dropped from Ashton pairing with Failsworth) is very substantially reversed by the 2022 revision, such that things are back far closer to 2019 now (except Denton grabs a different bit from outside Tameside).

With another revision to come before finalisation in 2023 it feels almost pointless to calculate seats against this boundary proposal (though, no doubt, we will).

The Leics ones have changed a lot from the last version. There was to be a new seat from the southern suburbs (Oadby, Wigston and Blaby) but that seems to have disappeared. Rutland and Melton have split, with Melton and Syston, and a new Rutland and Stamford seat that stretches 40 miles from suburban Leicester to Stamford, Lincs. It incorporates parts of Harborough, Rutland and South Kesteven councils, with the majority of H and SK in other constituencies.

Keeping tightly to the numbers makes for very variable boundaries. I wonder what the next version brings.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129
    Alistair said:

Fucking America man

https://eu.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/elections/2022/11/08/election-day-2022-arizona-live-voting-updates-across-state/8267101001/

Maricopa County officials reported problems with ballot tabulators at 20% of voting centers on Tuesday morning.

It's definitely NOT "just like watching Brazil", is it?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,814
    MattW said:

Interesting little study on Low Traffic Neighbourhoods if anyone is following the slightly excitable debate on these.

https://twitter.com/GCHUOxford/status/1589945165883781125
    "LTN implementation was found to reduce NO2 statistically significantly within both the intervention areas (5.7%) and in boundary areas (8.9%), compared to the external control sites without LTN implementation." #UrbanTransitions2022

"Similar effects were also found in traffic volumes, which were reduced by 58.2% within LTNs and by 13.4% at LTN boundary sites (without statistical significance)."

"Neighbourhood traffic reductions measures are able to reduce air pollution and traffic in target areas, without necessarily causing displacements in surrounding streets."

Some other poor sod got 100% increase though, it had to go somewhere
  • Options

Driver said: "Extending the provisions of the First Amendment from citizens to corporations always felt like a bit of a stretch to me."

Four of the nine Supreme Cout justices at the time, took that position. One of the arguments that swayed the other five was this: The law could be used to prevent the publication of a book, criticizing a candidate or party.

Sounds like a pretext unless there was instances of such actually happening. 'We must do X because Y might possibly happen'.

Of course, it's not as though the court would ever go against a landmark decision.
  • Options
    The latest ERG ignoramus

A Tory MP has been criticised for using an "outdated" slur in the Commons.

Speaking yesterday, Mark Francois referred to Japanese people as "Japs" when asking a question about ship building.

Sarah Owen, a Labour MP and the first of Southeast Asian heritage, raised his remark to the Speaker today, saying it was a "crass racial slur".
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Alistair said:

Fucking America man

Neither is watching Man United's Fred
  • Options

The latest ERG ignoramus

Speaking yesterday, Mark Francois referred to Japanese people as "Japs" when asking a question about ship building.

Sarah Owen, a Labour MP and the first of Southeast Asian heritage, raised his remark to the Speaker today, saying it was a "crass racial slur".

That's pretty small fry as far as offensiveness goes, he can plead ignorance in archaic mimicry rather than malice.
  • Options

The latest ERG ignoramus

A case of both being dicks, in my view, with Francois edging it.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470
    Alistair said:

That's about right I think.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,739

nico679 said:

The early in person vote not looking good for the Dems in Nevada but much more encouraging turnout from NH with strong turnout and some very good numbers coming out of Dem strongholds .

Who would you say Nico is the best source for the NH voting trends?

FWIW, I think the GOP will pick up AZ just about, PA a toss up but Fetterman's suit over the ballots announced yesterday suggests he might be nervous enough this will be very close. Walker is sounding very optimistic in GA and it does sound like the D messaging has switched to making sure he doesn't get the 50% level. NV does look as though it is heading GOP's way.
    Jon Ralston is very good and also JohnR Samuelsen.

The latter is doing a live update of whose voting during ED in Clark County.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Pro_Rata said:

I think in previous boundary cycles the updates have been minor, but this time the need to keep within a tight size bound means the 2021 -> 2022 updates are in many cases as substantial as the original review

So, for instance, the total clockwise rotation of the Tameside seats in 2021 (Ashton taking Stalybridge, Hyde taking Denton and the Droylsden bit that dropped from Ashton pairing with Failsworth) is very substantially reversed by the 2022 revision, such that things are back far closer to 2019 now (except Denton grabs a different bit from outside Tameside).

With another revision to come before finalisation in 2023 it feels almost pointless to calculate seats against this boundary proposal (though, no doubt, we will).

The Leics ones have changed a lot from the last version. There was to be a new seat from the southern suburbs (Oadby, Wigston and Blaby) but that seems to have disappeared. Rutland and Melton have split, with Melton and Syston, and a new Rutland and Stamford seat that stretches 40 miles from suburban Leicester to Stamford, Lincs. It incorporates parts of Harborough, Rutland and South Kesteven councils, with the majority of H and SK in other constituencies.

Keeping tightly to the numbers makes for very variable boundaries. I wonder what the next version brings.
    Good times. Some pretty big changes round Wiltshire way.

Is it certain there will be further revisions? I though that this was a final consultation on the revised proposals and its only a maybe that they will decide to make further changes, if considered necessary.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470
    edited November 2022

Ishmael_Z said:

Tp be clear: Windows is amazing. Getting a system that runs on such a massive variety of hardware, including legacy stuff, with so few problems is a miracle. And to make it fairly user-friendly as well. This matters, as without such capabilities we would have a number of closed, walled gardens that are much more expensive.

Apple has it easy; by controlling the hardware, you fantastically reduce the number of combinations you need to support.

Without Windows, the world would be much poorer.

Which is great for people who don't know much about computers.
    I hate to break this to you; but 99% of people "don't know much about computers."

Including, I guess, your good self.
    I often wonder what percentage of people think information is really deleted when they put something in the trash/wastebasket bin and press empty.
  • Options
    edited November 2022

Can someone please explain to me why Donald Trump is still available for Republican Nominee at 1.75 and not 1.55?

He's clearly going to announce he's going to run in 7 days time, and he's going to run as a Republican. DeSantis is his only real opponent.

I'd say 95% he runs, 90% he does so as a Republican and 75% shot he gets the Nom so price should be 1.55, or lower, no?

A safe trading bet because he's probably going to go quite a bit shorter in the blaze of hype and at times afterwards - however when that happens I'll be adding to my Big Short and getting its average price down. His journey back to power is rocky imo. I don't see him completing it.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,115
    Andy_JS said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Tp be clear: Windows is amazing. Getting a system that runs on such a massive variety of hardware, including legacy stuff, with so few problems is a miracle. And to make it fairly user-friendly as well. This matters, as without such capabilities we would have a number of closed, walled gardens that are much more expensive.

Apple has it easy; by controlling the hardware, you fantastically reduce the number of combinations you need to support.

I hate to break this to you; but 99% of people "don't know much about computers."

I often wonder what percentage of people think information is really deleted when they put something in the trash/wastebasket bin and press empty.
    Everyone in the Office of the Information Commissioner, for a start...
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,544
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Pro_Rata said:

Is it certain there will be further revisions? I though that this was a final consultation on the revised proposals and its only a maybe that they will decide to make further changes, if considered necessary.
    I was thinking of the iteration for next time. Boundaries jumping about make it difficult for both sitting MPs and challengers.
  • Options
    TheKitchenCabinetTheKitchenCabinet Posts: 2,275
    edited November 2022
    nico679 said:

nico679 said:

The early in person vote not looking good for the Dems in Nevada but much more encouraging turnout from NH with strong turnout and some very good numbers coming out of Dem strongholds .

Who would you say Nico is the best source for the NH voting trends?

FWIW, I think the GOP will pick up AZ just about, PA a toss up but Fetterman's suit over the ballots announced yesterday suggests he might be nervous enough this will be very close. Walker is sounding very optimistic in GA and it does sound like the D messaging has switched to making sure he doesn't get the 50% level. NV does look as though it is heading GOP's way.
    Jon Ralston is very good and also JohnR Samuelsen.

The latter is doing a live update of whose voting during ED in Clark County.
    Thank you. Got those Nico but I think they are for NV :)
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    edited November 2022
    Alistair said:

Fucking America man

That's the issue with decentralised elections run by mainly partisan officials with rules decided by mainly partisan legislatures.

If Brazil, a much poorer country, can produce near full national results within four hours of polls closing there's no reason the US can't do the same. That would mean some commonsense was required however.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Pro_Rata said:

Any further changes should be extremely minor
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Pro_Rata said:

On the subject of map changes, the latest iteration of the tube map is out. The big news is that our local station Nunhead (included by virtue of it being serviced by Thameslink trains) has been moved so that it is in a geographically logical position with respect to neighbouring stations on other lines. A great injustice righted at last.

https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/articles/a-new-tube-map-and-cover-art-to-mark-the-elizabeth-line-changes-58636/
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Andy_JS said:

Ishmael_Z said:

And I am bloody gobsmacked at the thought of people who think that knowing that that is not the case, puts them on a par with Alan fucking Turing.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,802
    edited November 2022

Pro_Rata said:

Has the reduction in the number of MPs been dropped? I lose track.
    The reduction did go a while back in one of the abandoned reviews,. No further sign of any change from 650 now.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    Under the proposed new boundaries I am no longer in a Newcastle seat, despite living within the city limits. Not a fan.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,130

Bit of a day of celebs passing away, Compos son Tom Owen and Arfuh Fowler (Bill Treacher) also died today

They come (or rather go) in threes. I’d heard Treacher and Philips, and was wondering if all elderly male actors were at home shitting themselves getting worried…
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982
    Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:

The butthurt is strong with this one...

NEW

Axing Britannia 2.0 is another blow for Brexit Britain

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/11/08/axing-britannia-20-another-blow-brexit-britain/

The Admirals fought this from Day 1 like they were at Cape Matapan. Deciding it had to be RN owned and operated doomed it from the start.
    Navy ships should be honed killing machines, not gin palaces.
    "Ready to Fight Tonight"

not

"Are these napkins folded into tulip shapes properly?"

No doubt, people do like visiting RN ships when they are in port because they are very interesting if you've never been on one before. However, I can't believe such visits materially effect the terms of a trade deal, etc. one way or the other as that is surely all worked out by Spreadsheet Wankers these days. It seems like a typically Brexiteer Imperialist construction to imagine that foreigners will be so impressed by canapes and cocktails.

HMY did serve a very useful role for the RN as it was one of the few permanent drafts; people could be sent there and they' d never come back. So it was a great way to get the alcoholic, incompetent or otherwise impaired out of the Surface Warfare community for good to somewhere were they couldn't do any real damage. Rotary Wing SAR aviation was a similar dumping ground for the Fleet Air Arm.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    kinabalu said:

Can someone please explain to me why Donald Trump is still available for Republican Nominee at 1.75 and not 1.55?

He's clearly going to announce he's going to run in 7 days time, and he's going to run as a Republican. DeSantis is his only real opponent.

I'd say 95% he runs, 90% he does so as a Republican and 75% shot he gets the Nom so price should be 1.55, or lower, no?

A safe trading bet because he's probably going to go quite a bit shorter in the blaze of hype and at times afterwards - however when that happens I'll be adding to my Big Short and getting its average price down. His journey back to power is rocky imo. I don't see him completing it.
    Gosh I hope you're right. I'm facing my biggest ever loss if Trump wins the presidency.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,478
    Kinabalu asked why George Soros was spending money to elect lenient prosecutors. I haven't followed him closely on the subject, but I assume it's because he thinks many current prosecutors are too hard on the poor, especially poor minorities.

(I think our system often fails to protect the poor, especially poor minorities, from criminals. For making that argument so vividly, Seraphine Warren has become one of my heros: https://nativenewsonline.net/sovereignty/prayer-justice-and-remembrance-dine-woman-reclaims-the-past-as-she-walks-to-bring-her-missing-aunt-home )
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,802
    dixiedean said:

Pro_Rata said:

Is there a site where I can view them, without having to download the lot?
    https://www.bcereviews.org.uk/

If you select a region, zoom the map and play with the overlays that gives most of the info of interest.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,921
    Ishmael_Z said:

Andy_JS said:

Ishmael_Z said:

And I am bloody gobsmacked at the thought of people who think that knowing that that is not the case, puts them on a par with Alan fucking Turing.
    There's an issue here, in that 'IT' and 'computing' are such enormously large areas.

In my job, I could write a decent device driver, sometimes even with smidgens of assembler in it (though my assembler was never as good as some peoples, which given I once worked with the inventor of the instruction set, is unsurprising).

When it came to day-to-day IT, I can do various mundane tasks. But if you were to ask me to set up a network, I would initially be lost. By reading up from t'Internet I can probably do it, but it won't be as quick, or as good, as a friend whose job is IT. And he would be lost writing a device driver.

'Computing' is such a large area that I doubt anyone is 'expert' in anything other than small areas.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Pro_Rata said:

On the subject of map changes, the latest iteration of the tube map is out. The big news is that our local station Nunhead (included by virtue of it being serviced by Thameslink trains) has been moved so that it is in a geographically logical position with respect to neighbouring stations on other lines. A great injustice righted at last.

https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/articles/a-new-tube-map-and-cover-art-to-mark-the-elizabeth-line-changes-58636/
    Conquered my claustro and did my 1st sober tube journey for 12 years on Sunday. Jubilee, deep, busy. Clammy hands, heart pumping, but stayed on 6 stops to destination and whoosh, so quick and direct! As close to teleportation as you can get. Absolutely shrinks the city. Might do it again soon.

#lovethetube
  • Options

The latest ERG ignoramus

Better than nips, surely? Is japs that bad?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

The latest ERG ignoramus

That's pretty small fry as far as offensiveness goes, he can plead ignorance in archaic mimicry rather than malice.
    Pretty bad for the Commons though.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

18 months until the Primaries have really got into swing, so there must be an allowance for "events".
    Thanks. That's factored into my 75%.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

The latest ERG ignoramus

Pretty bad for the Commons though.
    I omitted the words 'and stupidity' after ignorance.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Alistair said:

Fucking America man

Neither is watching Man United's Fred
    I quite rate Fred.
  • Options

Kinabalu asked why George Soros was spending money to elect lenient prosecutors. I haven't followed him closely on the subject, but I assume it's because he thinks many current prosecutors are too hard on the poor, especially poor minorities.

(I think our system often fails to protect the poor, especially poor minorities, from criminals. For making that argument so vividly, Seraphine Warren has become one of my heros: https://nativenewsonline.net/sovereignty/prayer-justice-and-remembrance-dine-woman-reclaims-the-past-as-she-walks-to-bring-her-missing-aunt-home )

From what I have heard it's not GS who is specifically pushing this agenda but his son.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Yes, that's sage advice - I'm probably not going to ride the price to the finish.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Alistair said:

That's about right I think.
    Looking good for that bet

https://twitter.com/RalstonReports/status/1590055577106886656
  • Options
    edited November 2022

The latest ERG ignoramus

It's worthy of criticism. But though some might argue any slur is of equal offensiveness, that's clearly not true, even if some might have been seen as less bad once than they are now (even though they should always have been seen as bad).

That the BBC report on the story is able to actually write out the word 'japs' shows it is not seen as as offensive as some other slurs, which they would obliquely describe or blank out, and as such the level of criticism cannot be as high as with some others.

That it is described as an 'outdated' racial slur seems to suggest it is felt he was being stupid, not vicious.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,598
    Ishmael_Z said:

Driver said:

Ishmael_Z said:

MattW said:

Good afternoon

I expect Williamson's tenure to be coming to an end following due process, and certainly it is a distraction that is not needed by Rishi

However, Bloomberg is reporting that the UK and EU are close to a break through on Northern Ireland and they attribute today's strengthining pound to this

I have sensed for some time Rishi is far more pragmatic on controversial issues , and I expect his meeting with Macron will see the channel crossings problem addressed to our mutual benefit, as I expect Macron's outer EU nation proposals to be seriously discussed and considered

When do we get the result of the investigation into the alleged bullying by Williamson?

If I have understood this correctly, I'm still slightly bemused by a Chief Whip complaining about bullying. Isn't that what they exist to do themselves?

And if the report I have seen in the Guardian documents the whole thing, such an allegation now looks to me at least in part like revenge taken cold - which dissension is perhaps more worrying for the Tories than the thing itself.

"Vile" and "threatening" seems a little overegged - he just seems pissed off, and I can't see anything that can be called "misogynistic". Unless there is a claim that a theoretical man in the same position would not have had the same reaction.

I've not commented on other party's reactions, since they would say what they are saying regardless of what actually happened.

I'm going off these reports:
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/nov/08/gavin-williamson-under-growing-pressure-over-bullying-accusations
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/nov/05/gavin-williamson-faces-inquiry-over-abusive-messages-to-wendy-morton
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/nov/04/rishi-sunak-under-pressure-over-gavin-williamson-vile-messages-to-wendy-morton
    I cannot see any mitigation for Williamson but everyone, even him, are permitted due process

There is an irony in that is reported that in 2006 Wendy Morton and 5 other conservative councillors were found guilty of bullying themselves apparently

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/1078280.councillors-resign-following-row-swearing-chamber/
    No they aren't. In a normal job, you tell a colleague to fuck off in writing, you get fired. Just like that. None of this We must wait for Sue Wossname to report in 6 months time, and not prejudge her findings.
    I am not excusing Williamson who should lose his cabinet position and I expect he will
    I do think we need to wait for a series of lengthy Parliamentary enquiries to rule that SGW did nothing wrong before we pass judgement. It's all "he said, she said", and I am sure anything in writing can be excused as satire.

Don't forget, despite all the evidence to the contrary, Boris Johnson looked as guilty as hell over Partygate, but after a six month exhaustive enquiry by the Metropolitan Police's finest officers, the best they could muster was a £20 fixed penalty notice for eating cake at work. These cases are seldom what they first seem. I seem to recall you demanding Starmer's nuts after viewing Ivo Delingpole's video of "currygate".
    Surely a prerequisite for any action being taken against Williamson would be a formal complaint?
    Indeed, but not on PB. Guilty as not charged m'lud.
    Bollocks to that. He isn't denying the content of the texts, and you are not a judge directing a jury. He is guilty as fuck, never mind as charged, he deserves to be sacked, he will be, and you can quote me on that.
    I may have flagged that in error (slow screen) - apologies if it was me.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,969
    Anne Milton applying the coup de grace to Gav on C4 News. Don’t think he can survive this.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,478
    TheKitchenCabinet said: "From what I have heard it's not GS who is specifically pushing this agenda but his son."

You are probably right. As I said, I haven't been following this closely.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,867
    “Make sure when you give him this cheque he knows that I now own him.”

Sir Gavin Williamson has been accused of issuing an inappropriate threat to an MP in financial trouble by former deputy chief whip Anne Milton, who used to work with him when he was chief whip. https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1590043429656223744/video/1
  • Options

The latest ERG ignoramus

There's a very funny Luc Besson film, Taxi (not the terrible US remake). In the sequel, there is an automatic car that is demonstrated to the Japanese government. To make it go and top, you say 'Nip!' and 'Ninja!'.

Two blooming hilarious films, though outdated now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHH-5jvDN6c
  • Options
    Sir Gavin sounds like a sordid little man. He no doubt has his qualities but I think he has to go.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,969

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

Pro_Rata said:

Conquered my claustro and did my 1st sober tube journey for 12 years on Sunday. Jubilee, deep, busy. Clammy hands, heart pumping, but stayed on 6 stops to destination and whoosh, so quick and direct! As close to teleportation as you can get. Absolutely shrinks the city. Might do it again soon.

#lovethetube
    Had my first commute on the new improved Lizzie Line today. Compared with the tube, it's so civilised. Spacious. Non-rattly. Lovely.

As a country, we can do this stuff if we want to.
    It’s brill! Acton Mainline to Bond Street in 10 mins - has transformed my commute.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

So why your initial sneery post?

I don't know much about computers. But I set up a Web based business now turning over £5m, including making the initial website and sales and stock management systems, and I have typeset a book in LaTex. I can make html and java script and PHP do what I want them to do. Moral: everyone knows about computers these days; your self awarded guru status expired decades ago.

ETA your initial comment

"I love this sort of comment, as it shows people who are utterly clueless about computers. ;)"

Impressive.
    Yawn. Troll elsewhere, sad little man.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982
    Scott_xP said:

“Make sure when you give him this cheque he knows that I now own him.”

Sir Gavin Williamson has been accused of issuing an inappropriate threat to an MP in financial trouble by former deputy chief whip Anne Milton, who used to work with him when he was chief whip. https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1590043429656223744/video/1

Ronnie Wood's looking good for his age and lifestyle.
  • Options
    💥 Two further sources told the Guardian that during his time as chief whip Williamson had been heard joking or boasting about the effect his tactics had on mental health of those he worked with, with one saying it had “made people uncomfortable”.

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1590057758501777408
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,067
    kle4 said:

The latest ERG ignoramus

Like the time Benedict Cumberbatch used the term ‘coloured’.

Pretty much what his mea culpa was.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

kinabalu said:

Gosh I hope you're right. I'm facing my biggest ever loss if Trump wins the presidency.
    Me too! But it's fine. Not happening. I do wish I was just starting to lay him now though. 😏
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,882
    Dura_Ace said:

Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:

The butthurt is strong with this one...

NEW

Axing Britannia 2.0 is another blow for Brexit Britain

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/11/08/axing-britannia-20-another-blow-brexit-britain/

The Admirals fought this from Day 1 like they were at Cape Matapan. Deciding it had to be RN owned and operated doomed it from the start.
    Navy ships should be honed killing machines, not gin palaces.
    "Ready to Fight Tonight"

not

"Are these napkins folded into tulip shapes properly?"

No doubt, people do like visiting RN ships when they are in port because they are very interesting if you've never been on one before. However, I can't believe such visits materially effect the terms of a trade deal, etc. one way or the other as that is surely all worked out by Spreadsheet Wankers these days. It seems like a typically Brexiteer Imperialist construction to imagine that foreigners will be so impressed by canapes and cocktails.

HMY did serve a very useful role for the RN as it was one of the few permanent drafts; people could be sent there and they' d never come back. So it was a great way to get the alcoholic, incompetent or otherwise impaired out of the Surface Warfare community for good to somewhere were they couldn't do any real damage. Rotary Wing SAR aviation was a similar dumping ground for the Fleet Air Arm.
    My driving instructor was a former RAF Sea King pilot out of Lossie. He was mad, had good stories about winching people off various bits of the Cuillin.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,887

Bit of a day of celebs passing away, Compos son Tom Owen and Arfuh Fowler (Bill Treacher) also died today

They come (or rather go) in threes. I’d heard Treacher and Philips, and was wondering if all elderly male actors were at home shitting themselves getting worried…
    Leslie Phillips is someone whom I thought died years ago. Probably because he always seemed to play older roles even 40 years ago.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,510

Foxy said:

Pro_Rata said:

I never noticed the old map had Nunhead there. How bizarre.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

Pro_Rata said:

#lovethetube
    Had my first commute on the new improved Lizzie Line today. Compared with the tube, it's so civilised. Spacious. Non-rattly. Lovely.

And I did.
    Were you responsible for the cost and time overruns? ;)

But there's a point to be made here: so much of the infrastructure we use and rely on day-by-day was delivered late and/or over-budget. But none of us care about it now, decades down the line. The delays and increased cost of the Lizzy line will mean f-all to commuters in ten years time.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

Leslie Phillips is someone whom I thought died years ago. Probably because he always seemed to play older roles even 40 years ago.
    Ask not for whom the bell tolls...

Ding, Dong...
  • Options
    Outstanding Qs for Sunak:

— what did outgoing Tory chairman tell him during private meeting in which Williamson complaint was raised?

— did PM ask any questions or seek assurances before appointing him 24 hours later?

— how can he retain confidence if conduct “unacceptable”?

https://twitter.com/gabriel_pogrund/status/1588945227511103489
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

I think we all have those, people we believe to be dead, who are still alive. For years I thought Gordon Kaye (Allo Allo) was dead. He wasn’t. He’d had a heart attack that I turned into dying. And now, I thought he was alive, but actually he died in 2017.
  • Options

eristdoof said:

I think we all have those, people we believe to be dead, who are still alive. For years I thought Gordon Kaye (Allo Allo) was dead. He wasn’t. He’d had a heart attack that I turned into dying. And now, I thought he was alive, but actually he died in 2017.
    He also had an awful accident where he was hit by a falling piece of debris during severe storms while he was driving. You could see the damage it did to his forehead for the rest of his life.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

Pro_Rata said:

#lovethetube

And I did.

But there's a point to be made here: so much of the infrastructure we use and rely on day-by-day was delivered late and/or over-budget. But none of us care about it now, decades down the line. The delays and increased cost of the Lizzy line will mean f-all to commuters in ten years time.
    Only partially true.

If those delays and more importantly budget overruns mean there's "no money left" for other projects then that could mean something to commuters in the future.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

eristdoof said:

Ask not for whom the bell tolls...

Ding, Dong...
    With Bernard Cribbins and him going this year there cannot be many left from that post war era of comedy movies. A cracking straight actor too.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

Pro_Rata said:

#lovethetube

And I did.

Only partially true.

If those delays and more importantly budget overruns mean there's "no money left" for other projects then that could mean something to commuters in the future.
    True, but you don't miss what you don't have. Well, aside from the Ringway enthusiasts on SABRE... ;)
  • Options

This Thread has been ding donged

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,314
    Taz said:

kle4 said:

The latest ERG ignoramus

Like the time Benedict Cumberbatch used the term ‘coloured’.

Pretty much what his mea culpa was.
    I theorised at the time that Cumberbatch making that comment was a form of Hollywood initiation. When I used to follow media conspiracy theories, there was a lot of 'ritual humiliation' events that were put down to people being initiated before they were going to be given major success by the 'powers that be'. There was just no earthly reason for a British person to use the term 'coloured'. It isn't a used term, not even by those trying to offend.
  • Options

This Thread has been ding donged

Ding dong the thread is dead, which old thread, this wicked thread.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

Pro_Rata said:

#lovethetube

And I did.

The original timescale was unrealistic. It was delivered safely and to a high quality as soon as it could.

I know I played my part and did my very best in that. I created 997 documents and products to help integrate the railway in my time there.

A couple of my papers are on the Crossrail learning legacy site under my real name.

This discussion has been closed.