Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Arc of History – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,668
    edited October 2022
    Leon said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

I’m rather hoping our spy agencies are working overtime at the moment.

Best solution by far, and the cheapest, must be to undermine the leadership from within and if necessary to sabotage the nuclear threat at source.

Did you see those stat geeks I linked earlier?

They say the chances of a tactical nuke detonating in the next month are 8.6%

IIRC a tactical nuke was the trigger for your flight to Morocco/Ireland

8.6%
    I confess I haven't read the article (paywalled) but that 8.6% is presumably only GuessA * GuessB / GuessC etc. etc.

None of Guesses A, B C etc are in any way measurable, so the end result is fiction. Surely you can see that?
    It's a guess. Yes. An attempt to put a number on something imponderable

But if we had infinite knowledge we would be able to put a real probability on this. And 8.6% in the next month does not seem unreasonable to me

Also: it is not paywalled

https://forum.effectivealtruism.org/posts/2nDTrDPZJBEerZGrk/samotsvety-nuclear-risk-update-october-2022
    Well thanks. But have *you* read it?

A snippet:
    "What is the probability that Russia will use a nuclear weapon in Ukraine in the next MONTH?
    Aggregate probability: 0.0859 (8.6%)
    All probabilities: 0.27, 0.04, 0.02, 0.001, 0.09, 0.08, 0.07"

So those seven 'forecasters' (who are they btw?) think the probbility is between 27% and 0.1%. And these guys have taken the straight average. Right. Highly credible.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,215

Leon said:

This thread is an example of the bleak stupid anti-Musk nihilism on Twitter

"There are a variety of problems with this proposal. There is no reason to think there would be a free and fair vote in areas occupied by Russian forces (as we just saw) and many Ukrainians who lived there were displaced when Russia invaded and wouldn't be able to vote."

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1577011983781888001?s=20&t=Q2oCz0KHHI6hfJImCgQlwQ

It is followed by hundreds of comments telling Musk to shut up, stay in his lane, butt the fuck out, and so on

Sure his proposal is flawed, any proposal will be flawed. What, tho, is the alternative? Not one of these twitter warmongers addresses the very real possibility that Putin is about to drop a nuke. And if he does, what then?

I hinted at it last week but no one picked up on it. It’s what they deem a proportionate response - it would strike at something which Russia is immensely proud of, and regards as being of major strategic importance. But would be conventional in nature.
    This. 100x.

I have posted the same.

It is just not true that: "Not one of these twitter warmongers addresses the very real possibility that Putin is about to drop a nuke. And if he does, what then?"

There is bucket loads of analyse from serious mil and diplomatic analysts about "what then".

So what is your answer?

Putin drops a small nuke

What then?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Jonathan said:

It’s curious how Leon has gone overnight from gung-ho nuclear escalation to sailing on occasion close to offering Putin pretty much whatever he wants. Threads is indeed a powerful movie.

Clearly you don’t remember his posts from back in 2016
    He is TROLLING to get a reaction. Why Dan nobody understand he doesn’t post anything he actually believes.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    edited October 2022
    Leon said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Best solution by far, and the cheapest, must be to undermine the leadership from within and if necessary to sabotage the nuclear threat at source.

8.6%
    I confess I haven't read the article (paywalled) but that 8.6% is presumably only GuessA * GuessB / GuessC etc. etc.

None of Guesses A, B C etc are in any way measurable, so the end result is fiction. Surely you can see that?

But if we had infinite knowledge we would be able to put a real probability on this. And 8.6% in the next month does not seem unreasonable to me

https://forum.effectivealtruism.org/posts/2nDTrDPZJBEerZGrk/samotsvety-nuclear-risk-update-october-2022
    The 8.6% is the average of seven guesses ranging from 0.1% to 27%.
    (All probabilities: 0.27, 0.04, 0.02, 0.001, 0.09, 0.08, 0.07)

Somewhere between 0.1% and 27% chance doesn't look unreasonable to me. Between one in a thousand (a bit low) and one in four (a bit high).

EDIT: Benpointer got there before me.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,263

This will be a mild winter so says the Times.

Average 5 ish degree temperature, they say much warmer than last year but I recall last winter being rather warm?

Last winter was the 15th warmest in the Central England Temperature record, back to 1659. That said, it was marginally colder than the winters of 2007, 2014, 2016 (all-time record warmest) and 2020.

So, although it was in the warmest ~4% of winters in the overall record, it was barely in the warmest third of winters in the last 16 years.
    As they tend to span new year shouldn’t we say 14-15 for example.

That was a wet one wasn’t it?
    The convention in meteorology is to use the year of the January to refer to the winter as a whole. This is much simpler, and then it also means you can calculate averages for a meteorological year that include a whole winter season, rather than parts of two winter seasons as you would for a calendar year average. So the meteorological year runs from December to November.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,416

Talking of nuclear fusion, I see that the government have decided on West Burton for the demonstration plant. Interesting choice...

Are we only ten years away from nuclear fusion now?
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

8.6%

Well thanks. But have *you* read it?

A snippet:
    "What is the probability that Russia will use a nuclear weapon in Ukraine in the next MONTH?
    Aggregate probability: 0.0859 (8.6%)
    All probabilities: 0.27, 0.04, 0.02, 0.001, 0.09, 0.08, 0.07"

So those seven 'forecasters' (who are they btw?) think the probbility is between 27% and 0.1%. And these guys have taken the straight average. Right. Highly credible.
    It's an interesting thought experiment: is what it is. I've seen this technique used before with some success

Given all that Putin has said, and everything he has done, and the clear signs of desperation in the Russian military - including a very risky mobilisation - there is a non-trivial risk of him exploding a small nuke

8.6% chance over the next month is not outlandishly pessimistic

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Jonathan said:

It’s curious how Leon has gone overnight from gung-ho nuclear escalation to sailing on occasion close to offering Putin pretty much whatever he wants. Threads is indeed a powerful movie.

Get it dubbed into Russian and streamed on the widescreen TV in Shoogu’s dacha.
    Supposedly, Reagan became a serious advocate of nuclear disarmament after watching Threads (and The Day After)

If true, that makes it one of the most important movies of all time
    I'd never even heard of it until this week.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

8.6%

I don't understand your point at all. If it were in any way valid it would imply that the Drake Equation was a piece of meaningless wank.
    Yeah fair point. I hadn't considered that.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,045

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24
    ·
    2h
    BREAKING:

Swedish authorities report that the gas leak from the Nord Stream 2 hole in the Swedish Economic Zone is increasing in strength.

It seems as if the Russians are pumping gas into the pipeline.

As long as there is gas, it won’t be possible to get close to investigate.

Do gas leaks cause similar problems to oil leaks?
    No

Because gas is lighter than water, it will travel to the surface and dissipate.

Rubbish for global warming, but doesn't fuck up the ocean.
    Different if it is flowing from a well as it often has lots of other nasty contaminants with it as well as some heavier hydrocarbons. But I assume what they are pumping through the pipeline has already been processed so will have all of that stuff removed.
    A very good point. But the gas has to have been scrubbed long before it reached Nordstream, right? (Or one would assume so.)
    Yep absolutely. The only immediate issue with this is going to be hazard to shipping (ships don't float on gassy water, as a number of drilling rigs have unfortunately found out in the past.

See also the Bermuda Triangle and gas releases from dissociating methane hydrate deposits.
    Bah! Don’t ruin the Bermuda Triangle!
  • Options
    Leon said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

This talk of appeasement is nonsense.

Read that New Yorker article, we need to find ways that allow Russia to make peace.

One of those ways might be to assassinate Putin, but there are other ways, that may well be along the lines suggested by Musk.

I happen to think Musk’s intervention very poorly timed. It is really up to the Ukrainians right now, and they don’t need that twit weighing in, but it may indeed come to it that we need to find something Putin can sign up to.

Find ways that allow Russia to make peace.

OK, Russia departs Ukraine, apologises for the invasion, pays reparations, admits they were wrong to invade and begs for forgiveness.

That'd be a start.
    Er ok.
    This is mere virtue signalling, frankly.
    Not really, that's how vanquished aggressors are typically treated.

You have a better alternative?

If Putin wants to make peace he has a simple way to do it, depart every inch of Ukraine. Including Crimea and any other territory he has falsely and illegally annexed. Do that, and we have peace.
    This is just garbage.

Personally I want the Ukrainians to march on Moscow, but it’s not going to happen.

We need to figure out ways for Putin (or his replacement) to step back.

When the time is right.

For now, it is really down to Ukraine’s ability to push them back as far as they can. Facts on the ground etc.
    What's the garbage?

The way to step back is to say that Russia is withdrawing back into Russian territory.

That is the only sustainable way back. Staying in Ukraine's territory means a continuation of war. Going back to Russia, leaving Crimea and the other occupied territories, ends it.
    In this, as with everything, you are a purist who cannot cope with shades of grey.

Ukraine may well accept something along the lines of Musk’s suggestion, just as India has accepted partition of Kashmir, and the Koreas accepted division of their country too.
    India has most certainly NOT accepted the status quo in Kashmir. It claims the entire territory, including the bits occupied by China. It is still illegal to bring maps into India showing the de facto Indo-Pak border through Kashmir.
    Ok, put quote marks around my “accepted”.

It doesn’t change my point though, which is that Barty can virtue signal about insisting on humiliating reparations imposed on Russia by the victors at Versailles-on-Don, but reality is likely to be rather more nuanced.
    What makes it likely to be more nuanced? Russia is fucked, their Potemkin military can't win, can't equip their soldiers, has inferior technology and awful logistics.

Ukraine has access to better technology, vastly superior logistics, world class intelligence, an army prepared to fight to protect their homeland and leadership that is competent.

Ukraine can and will win this war, conventionally. No need for a stalemate, let alone a likely one.
    However Russia also has the biggest arsenal of nuclear weapons in the world. You assume Putin will fight only on conventional terms. He has already made clear he will launch a tactical nuclear weapon if Ukraine tries to push into the 4 regions he has now claimed as Russian.

Ukraine has already liberated most of the country, better to settle for stalemate for the time being than risk nuclear war
    Ukraine has attacked Belgorod, actually Russia russia and no nukes happened in response.
    Putin wasn't losing badly then. He is now, despite mobilisation. He is out of options
    Surely the mobilisation has not led to any effect yet?

Not to say it will have a positive effect, from his point of view, but even with plenty of people rushed to the front it cannot be all that many of those mobilised?
  • Options

Talking of nuclear fusion, I see that the government have decided on West Burton for the demonstration plant. Interesting choice...

Are we only ten years away from nuclear fusion now?
    Always
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007
    Suggestions already Tory MPs could remove Truss and appoint a new PM by coronation before Christmas if the party's position does not improve

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1576941908806418432?s=20&t=YhD1ja2s0jTwIeThFrEeOA
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

8.6%

Somewhere between 0.1% and 27% chance doesn't look unreasonable to me. Between one in a thousand (a bit low) and one in four (a bit high).

It's more serious than that

Intriguingly, this blog - using the same aggregate forecasting method - has similar odds

"Will at least one nuclear weapon be detonated in Ukraine before 2023?": 7% says
    @metaculus

"Will a Russian nuclear weapon be detonated in the US before 2023?": 1%

The public likely doesn't properly distinguish these scenarios"

https://twitter.com/StefanFSchubert/status/1577000723048714240?s=20&t=j-7p4KlFDxr_4OyY439Q0w

7%
  • Options

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

NEW: Downing Street dumps on Jacob Rees-Mogg's plans to rip up worker rights, calling them "half baked"

https://twitter.com/MattGarrahan/status/1577028410102407170

This 'free for all' on policy is only happening because Truss has totally abandoned the manifesto the government was actually elected on.

Abandoned, or now at war with the declinist direction it was taking us?
    For a LibDem you seem to take some strange positions.
    Not my position. I’m just flagging up what I think this new government is explaining - 97 - 2010 pathetic declinest Labour government, 2010 - last month more pathetic declinist government by… um… it doesn’t matter by who only the policy is completely different at long last , lean mean taxes and state means aspiration, growth, productivity, growth, and a UK and flag you can be proud in once again.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure that’s what they are saying.
    97-2007 was a golden age compared to what came after.
    Time for a change.
    You saying you don’t want your taxes back in your family’s housekeeping pot to spend how you wish, you don’t want the idle hooked on state hand outs to find a job, you don’t want growth, you don’t want Aspiration Britain, productivity and growth (and growth, did I mention growth?) you don’t want a UK and flag to be proud of once again? What sort of declinist traitor are you? 😠

PS apologies, forgot to boast about spending 8% of GDP on a market busting hand out, a lot of which goes to those who don’t even need it.

PPS I appreciate the appeal of change once in a while, but you have to accept, every time we have let a Labour government in they have wrecked the economy.
    No they haven't. I lived through some.
    And none have achieved quite this level.
    I was only explaining the mind of Liz Truss. Calm down.
    Brave but doomed effort, I fear.

Meanwhile in "for freaks sake, read the freaking room" news...

A Conservative Treasury minister and one of Liz Truss’s major campaign donors both said they would like to abolish inheritance tax, as they urged the prime minister to continue with her “politically brave” agenda for wealth creation.

Andrew Griffith, a City minister under Kwasi Kwarteng, said tax was not his policy area but inheritance tax would be his top choice for a tax to abolish.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/oct/03/id-like-inheritance-tax-to-be-abolished-says-uk-treasury-minister?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
    “Brave but doomed effort, I fear”

I thought I had nailed it. It’s hardly the most complicated pitch - much the same as Bolsonaro and Trump, only with fortified air of pretension and a messianic zeal.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,616

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24
    ·
    2h
    BREAKING:

Swedish authorities report that the gas leak from the Nord Stream 2 hole in the Swedish Economic Zone is increasing in strength.

No

Different if it is flowing from a well as it often has lots of other nasty contaminants with it as well as some heavier hydrocarbons. But I assume what they are pumping through the pipeline has already been processed so will have all of that stuff removed.
    A very good point. But the gas has to have been scrubbed long before it reached Nordstream, right? (Or one would assume so.)
    Yep absolutely. The only immediate issue with this is going to be hazard to shipping (ships don't float on gassy water, as a number of drilling rigs have unfortunately found out in the past.

See also the Bermuda Triangle and gas releases from dissociating methane hydrate deposits.
    Barry Manilow did that!
  • Options

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

NEW: Downing Street dumps on Jacob Rees-Mogg's plans to rip up worker rights, calling them "half baked"

https://twitter.com/MattGarrahan/status/1577028410102407170

This 'free for all' on policy is only happening because Truss has totally abandoned the manifesto the government was actually elected on.

Abandoned, or now at war with the declinist direction it was taking us?
    For a LibDem you seem to take some strange positions.
    Not my position. I’m just flagging up what I think this new government is explaining - 97 - 2010 pathetic declinest Labour government, 2010 - last month more pathetic declinist government by… um… it doesn’t matter by who only the policy is completely different at long last , lean mean taxes and state means aspiration, growth, productivity, growth, and a UK and flag you can be proud in once again.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure that’s what they are saying.
    97-2007 was a golden age compared to what came after.
    Time for a change.
    You saying you don’t want your taxes back in your family’s housekeeping pot to spend how you wish, you don’t want the idle hooked on state hand outs to find a job, you don’t want growth, you don’t want Aspiration Britain, productivity and growth (and growth, did I mention growth?) you don’t want a UK and flag to be proud of once again? What sort of declinist traitor are you? 😠

PS apologies, forgot to boast about spending 8% of GDP on a market busting hand out, a lot of which goes to those who don’t even need it.

PPS I appreciate the appeal of change once in a while, but you have to accept, every time we have let a Labour government in they have wrecked the economy.
    No they haven't. I lived through some.
    And none have achieved quite this level.
    I was only explaining the mind of Liz Truss. Calm down.
    Brave but doomed effort, I fear.

Meanwhile in "for freaks sake, read the freaking room" news...

A Conservative Treasury minister and one of Liz Truss’s major campaign donors both said they would like to abolish inheritance tax, as they urged the prime minister to continue with her “politically brave” agenda for wealth creation.

Andrew Griffith, a City minister under Kwasi Kwarteng, said tax was not his policy area but inheritance tax would be his top choice for a tax to abolish.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/oct/03/id-like-inheritance-tax-to-be-abolished-says-uk-treasury-minister?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
    Could explain her big win amongst rich elderly tory members desperate to leave it all to the kids.

"What was it about Liz's plans for death duties that left your children with an extra £300,000 that first attracted you to her?"

Unless they have an estate over £1 million (which even most Tory members don't) they already effectively pay no IHT anyway thanks to Osborne's IHT raising of the IHT threshold on family homes
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,462
    HYUFD said:

Worth remembering that the only reason we are talking about nuclear weapons is because Russia is losing on the battlefield.

And that is precisely why the next steps have to be taken with care, we have achieved our main aim which is ensuring most of Ukraine is freed of Russian forces. No point then going too far in provoking Putin given he is clearly unstable and in charge of the world's biggest nuclear missiles arsenal
    No HYFUD, our aim is not to ensure 'most' of Ukraine is free. We should be helping Ukraine to be free of all Russian forces, prior to pre-2022 invasion limits (I can accept Crimea, sadly, as a fait accompli).

Let's put it this way. If France invaded England but it only took Kent and some chunks of East Anglia, would we put up with the view that "most of the country is free" and we should sue for peace?
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

8.6%

If it happens (and I hope to God it doesn't) 27% was too low, and if it doesn't 0.1% was too high.

Either way all the estimates are wrong. The correct answer is either 100% or 0%.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

This talk of appeasement is nonsense.

Read that New Yorker article, we need to find ways that allow Russia to make peace.

One of those ways might be to assassinate Putin, but there are other ways, that may well be along the lines suggested by Musk.

I happen to think Musk’s intervention very poorly timed. It is really up to the Ukrainians right now, and they don’t need that twit weighing in, but it may indeed come to it that we need to find something Putin can sign up to.

Find ways that allow Russia to make peace.

OK, Russia departs Ukraine, apologises for the invasion, pays reparations, admits they were wrong to invade and begs for forgiveness.

That'd be a start.
    Er ok.
    This is mere virtue signalling, frankly.
    Not really, that's how vanquished aggressors are typically treated.

You have a better alternative?

If Putin wants to make peace he has a simple way to do it, depart every inch of Ukraine. Including Crimea and any other territory he has falsely and illegally annexed. Do that, and we have peace.
    This is just garbage.

Personally I want the Ukrainians to march on Moscow, but it’s not going to happen.

We need to figure out ways for Putin (or his replacement) to step back.

When the time is right.

For now, it is really down to Ukraine’s ability to push them back as far as they can. Facts on the ground etc.
    What's the garbage?

The way to step back is to say that Russia is withdrawing back into Russian territory.

That is the only sustainable way back. Staying in Ukraine's territory means a continuation of war. Going back to Russia, leaving Crimea and the other occupied territories, ends it.
    In this, as with everything, you are a purist who cannot cope with shades of grey.

Ukraine may well accept something along the lines of Musk’s suggestion, just as India has accepted partition of Kashmir, and the Koreas accepted division of their country too.
    India has most certainly NOT accepted the status quo in Kashmir. It claims the entire territory, including the bits occupied by China. It is still illegal to bring maps into India showing the de facto Indo-Pak border through Kashmir.
    Ok, put quote marks around my “accepted”.

It doesn’t change my point though, which is that Barty can virtue signal about insisting on humiliating reparations imposed on Russia by the victors at Versailles-on-Don, but reality is likely to be rather more nuanced.
    What makes it likely to be more nuanced? Russia is fucked, their Potemkin military can't win, can't equip their soldiers, has inferior technology and awful logistics.

Ukraine has access to better technology, vastly superior logistics, world class intelligence, an army prepared to fight to protect their homeland and leadership that is competent.

Ukraine can and will win this war, conventionally. No need for a stalemate, let alone a likely one.
    However Russia also has the biggest arsenal of nuclear weapons in the world. You assume Putin will fight only on conventional terms. He has already made clear he will launch a tactical nuclear weapon if Ukraine tries to push into the 4 regions he has now claimed as Russian.

Ukraine has already liberated most of the country, better to settle for stalemate for the time being than risk nuclear war
    Ukraine has attacked Belgorod, actually Russia russia and no nukes happened in response.
    Putin wasn't losing badly then. He is now, despite mobilisation. He is out of options
    Surely the mobilisation has not led to any effect yet?

Not to say it will have a positive effect, from his point of view, but even with plenty of people rushed to the front it cannot be all that many of those mobilised?
    They ARE being very quickly rushed. Proper cannon fodder stuff

It looks quite possible they won't have enough arms, kit, training, motivation, to make much of a difference

It's important to remember Ukraine is totally mobilised, and has a million men and women under arms. They ARE highly motivated, they are increasingly well trained, and they have NATO weapons
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282

Barnesian said:

Westminster Voting Intention (2 Oct):

Labour 52% (+6)
    Conservative 24% (-5)
    Liberal Democrat 10% (-3)
    Green 5% (+1)
    SNP 5% (+2)
    Reform UK 3% (-1)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 28-29 Sept

redfieldandwiltonstrategies.com/latest-gb-voti…

Whoops

Lead below 30 points.

Conference bounce for Truss? :)
    Why are Lib Dems taking a hammering - they didn’t aid and abet the bad budget! 😠

Libdems the only challengers throughout Blue wall so why don’t they share the Tory slump? Something whiffs about these polls to me, I think they are Mickey Mouse polls, I don’t trust them as being remotely permanent.

There has been ephemeral polling glitches before, Hague wiped out Blair’s lead during Labour conference week one year, voter frustration with not liking being unable to put petrol in car. It was all short lived, polls went straight back to normal a few weeks later.

Without that foundation in fact Lib Dems should not be dropping by a quarter, they should be going up with blue wall voters switching from Tory to them, I refuse to believe these polls are for keeps, I choose to believe it will be back to a Lab lead about 10 in a few weeks and Lib Dems back to 12+. You can’t believe something is for real when its not founded in fact. Do you see what I mean.
    Suppose LibDems had a 20% share in every seat. They would get zero seats with a 20% share. Look at the Greens. 5% share, 1 seat.

Suppose LibDems had a 50% share in 50 seats and a 2% share in the other 600 seats. They would get 50 seat with an overall share of just 6%. Look at the SNP. 5% share, 51 seats.

As voters get wiser to tactical voting and Labour becomes more LibDem friendly, I think that LibDem supporters in Labour seats are declaring that they will vote Labour at a General Election, and in Tory/LibDem marginals, Labour supporters are declaring for the LibDems to get the Tories out.

That is why, as a LibDem, I'm pleased to see the national LibDem share remain around 10%. I know it is a LOT higher in Tory/LibDem marginals. So it must be a LOT lower in the many Tory/Labour marginals - which is good news for anti-Tory voters, who are the large majority.
    I don’t really want to argue with this thought out piece of Barnesian thinking, but I don’t believe it as much as I want to.

Lib Dems jump from third to win with 30% swings because the people there just can’t make the leap to Labour, so why would they tell pollsters something different right now?

I have my own theory. I think the polls are wrong now for the same reason polls are always wrong, underestimating Trump and Bolsonaro for two recent examples - the pollsters are now struggling for balanced and honest samples, Truss and Tories have a lot more support than shown waiting in the polling station, it’s just hiding off grid now or lying to pollsters out of sense of embarrassment.

One poll today greens up 1 to 5 Lib Dem down 3 to 10? That tells you there’s inherent vice in the poll. I would believe your theory over mine if less of the Tory plunge broke for Labour and more of it to Lib Dem.
    You're assuming people move along a left-right axis, so in departing from the Conservatives their natural next stop is the LibDems. Most people don't think in those orderly terms. They think "Tories, god, they've lost the plot, who else is there?" and they see a lot of Starmer and Reeves sounding sensible, and virtually nothing about the LibDems (who were profoundly unlucky to have their conference cancelled), so they say ":Labour". It's not mysterious, or necessarily permanent.
    I don’t think that’s entirely right. A lot of moderate Conservative voters don’t see themselves as particularly political and are motivated more by dislike or even fear of a left-wing government than they are by anything positive that the Tories are advocating (partly explaining why negative campaigning from the Tories can be so very effective).

Whilst you’re right that when these Tories become unhappy with what their party is doing - usually when it has put its own political obsessions before common sense - sensible moderate Labourism can tempt some of these people over, there is still a considerable number who would never vote Labour, but would vote LibDem.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kyf_100 said:

TOPPING said:

I know plenty of super eligible, for some unknown reason still single women in their 40s/50s. They go on tons of online apps to try to find dates and here are some observations they have made:

1. People lie.
    2. It's always worth having a (daytime, very public) coffee with someone.
    3. There are plenty of women per single men at that age and the men somehow manage to remind the women of that.
    4. It is surprising perhaps (I have scrolled with them - not a euphemism) at how few actual "right" men there are when you dissect each one and apply what seemed to me to be reasonable criteria.

The whole dating paradigm has ISTM changed with the internet. As someone sensibly put it:

Before: before you went on a date with someone you knew there was a spark and you then worked out if you had common interests.
    Now: before you go on a date with someone you know all there is to know about common interests but you don't know whether there is a spark.

Super eligible in your 40s and 50s?

I've mostly posted about how selective women are (and they are a lot more selective than men), but the one thing the data absolutely demonstrates on male fussiness is that men prefer women under 40 (and, tbh, usually under 30), no matter how old they are. Let me repeat that. No matter how old they are.

While there are a myriad of reasons why women reject men - height, looks, status, employment, colour of his hair, whether or not he talks with an accent, god knows... men are almost universally alike in thinking younger = better, presumably for the evolutionary reason of fertility. Bluntly, men are programmed, at a genetic level, to find fertility attractive.

Here's the data in full:

https://www.businessinsider.com/dataclysm-shows-men-are-attracted-to-women-in-their-20s-2014-10
    Yes sorry I should have been clearer in providing a definition of "eligible". I was taking it to mean gorgeous, intelligent, sophisticated (at least the ones I know are). But for making babies then not or much, much less "eligible".

Actually your comment made me look up the word eligible and it says "desirable or suitable for a partner in marriage". Nothing about children but I suppose that is taken as read.
    Isn’t holy matrimony ordained for the purpose of procreation or however the 1662 put it?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Worth remembering that the only reason we are talking about nuclear weapons is because Russia is losing on the battlefield.

And that is precisely why the next steps have to be taken with care, we have achieved our main aim which is ensuring most of Ukraine is freed of Russian forces. No point then going too far in provoking Putin given he is clearly unstable and in charge of the world's biggest nuclear missiles arsenal
    No HYFUD, our aim is not to ensure 'most' of Ukraine is free. We should be helping Ukraine to be free of all Russian forces, prior to pre-2022 invasion limits (I can accept Crimea, sadly, as a fait accompli).

Let's put it this way. If France invaded England but it only took Kent and some chunks of East Anglia, would we put up with the view that "most of the country is free" and we should sue for peace?
    Pay them for their trouble if they take east Kent and Essex.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kyf_100 said:

TOPPING said:

I know plenty of super eligible, for some unknown reason still single women in their 40s/50s. They go on tons of online apps to try to find dates and here are some observations they have made:

1. People lie.
    2. It's always worth having a (daytime, very public) coffee with someone.
    3. There are plenty of women per single men at that age and the men somehow manage to remind the women of that.
    4. It is surprising perhaps (I have scrolled with them - not a euphemism) at how few actual "right" men there are when you dissect each one and apply what seemed to me to be reasonable criteria.

The whole dating paradigm has ISTM changed with the internet. As someone sensibly put it:

Before: before you went on a date with someone you knew there was a spark and you then worked out if you had common interests.
    Now: before you go on a date with someone you know all there is to know about common interests but you don't know whether there is a spark.

Super eligible in your 40s and 50s?

I've mostly posted about how selective women are (and they are a lot more selective than men), but the one thing the data absolutely demonstrates on male fussiness is that men prefer women under 40 (and, tbh, usually under 30), no matter how old they are. Let me repeat that. No matter how old they are.

While there are a myriad of reasons why women reject men - height, looks, status, employment, colour of his hair, whether or not he talks with an accent, god knows... men are almost universally alike in thinking younger = better, presumably for the evolutionary reason of fertility. Bluntly, men are programmed, at a genetic level, to find fertility attractive.

Here's the data in full:

https://www.businessinsider.com/dataclysm-shows-men-are-attracted-to-women-in-their-20s-2014-10
    Yes sorry I should have been clearer in providing a definition of "eligible". I was taking it to mean gorgeous, intelligent, sophisticated (at least the ones I know are). But for making babies then not or much, much less "eligible".

Actually your comment made me look up the word eligible and it says "desirable or suitable for a partner in marriage". Nothing about children but I suppose that is taken as read.
    Isn’t holy matrimony ordained for the purpose of procreation or however the 1662 put it?
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

PeterM said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Elon Musk is having a massive stramash online about his plan for world peace

"You are assuming that I wish to be popular. I don’t care.

I do care that millions of people may die needlessly for an essentially identical outcome."

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1576995429094285313?s=20&t=8q2aHOiRH-4ik2jI-GJZew

More power to him, I say, We need to take the threat of Armageddon a lot more seriously. We are close

Giving into Putin might defer Armageddon this time, but it makes it more likely in future.

Better to stand up and a take the chance of being wiped off the planet.
    so we ve gone from hide in your houses for 2 years for a disease with a 99% survival rate to risking nuclear apocolypse ....something is slightly awry in your judgement of risk
    If you give into nuclear blackmail once, then don't you think there's a teeny-weeny chance that the blackmailer might just blackmail again?

So, we might all get wiped out. That would suck.

But the alternative is that we give into blackmail, and then next time Putin (or Kim Jong-un or whoever) knows we're going to back down. And therefore their incentive to escalate is much greater.

Giving into nuclear blackmail increases the risk of nuclear annihation.

If you - or @Leon - don't realise this, then you are genuinely retarded. And I don't use that word lightly.
    Seems like Game Theory 101 to me.
    Exactly: the only way to prevent your opponent escalating is to make it clear that you don't worry about the apocalypse.

Because you will rain the other apocalypse on them.

Mutual.

Is Putin suicidal? Who knows? Is the entire chain of command suicidal? I doubt it.

Putin does not have a red button as I understand it. He has a briefcase with some codes that allow him to confirm it is him ordering the use of nukes and then the senior generals get involved.

Which is why it doesn't start with a full strategic first strike.

The order of things goes something like this.

1. Putin orders battlefield nuclear weapon to be fired on a military target, e.g. a military base in Ukraine
    2. Nato responds by intervening directly - e.g. its planes launching air strikes on Russian military targets inside Ukraine, blowing up the black sea fleet with cruise missiles, or destroying the Crimea bridge.
    3. And here's the important one. This changes the opinion of the chain of command. Nato are now directly attacking Russian targets. So when...
    ...4 The order to go full strategic nuclear strike comes in, it's much more likely to be obeyed.

This is the problem with escalation. It doesn't start as a full strategic exchange, but that's where it ends up.

Our best course of action is probably to look tough and say we'll get involved militarily, while actually planning devastating sanctions - no Russian citizens allowed in or out of Russia, no trade, completely cut off from banks, the internet, all trade routes, etc - which would of course require China and others to be on side. But completely starving Russia of the spare parts it needs, trade goods it needs, even food it needs, is a better option than military escalation.
    I agree that is what we should do. A massive conventional military response leads pretty quickly to all-out nuclear war, and we all die with our eyes melting

Avoid escalation
    They should have you at Sandhurst or West Point teaching military theory. You are wasted writing articles on oysters and oddly named wines
    Those last eight words weren’t really necessary, back there?
    I could not possibly comment.... :open_mouth:

:D:D
  • Options
    edited October 2022

IanB2 said:

Jonathan said:

Clearly you don’t remember his posts from back in 2016
    He is TROLLING to get a reaction. Why Dan nobody understand he doesn’t post anything he actually believes.
    He doesn’t have any real consistent beliefs, beyond some schoolboy bigotry best skipped quickly over, so most of us have already taken that as read. He mostly wants people to set fire to stuff so that he can laugh at the flames.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

No, our main aim now should be to avoid being wiped out in a nuclear holocaust.

France is also a nuclear weapons power, if say some mad dictator came to power in France and invaded us but we managed to force the French forces back to Kent and patches of East Anglia before the French dictator threatened to use nuclear missiles if we went any further then realpolitik would also force us to stop there and wait.

We had achieved our aim of liberating most of the country, better that than the risk of destroying it with nuclear holocaust.

Though hopefully the fact we had nukes ourselves would have deterred the French from invasion in the first place. Ukraine being told to give up its nukes in the 1990s was clearly one of the biggest diplomatic errors of the 20th century given Russia was keeping its nukes
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Suggestions already Tory MPs could remove Truss and appoint a new PM by coronation before Christmas if the party's position does not improve

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1576941908806418432?s=20&t=YhD1ja2s0jTwIeThFrEeOA

A bit easier said than done though. What is gained from losing Trussonomics (writing off hope it doesn’t produce results and a late bounce back) is lost by asking the voters to accept the 4th cabinet within a year, and trying to say “but this change in personnel and direction and just about everything is actually what we really believe in.” You think that will help? Of course it won’t!
    Will still get the mauling on election night.

Nah. The only decision available is wait for Captain Truss to go down with her ship, and relaunch from the opposition front bench.
  • Options
    Jesus fucking Christ what?

BREAKING: Japan says North Korea has launched a missile, warns people to seek shelter immediately

https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1577063009360531456?s=20&t=6Op-oNsszoUTknitQObUoQ
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Pay them for their trouble if they take east Kent and Essex.
    What a generic comment, that also includes some of the most beautiful parts of the country around Canterbury or the marshes or Saffron Walden and Coggleshall etc
  • Options
    This appears to be true

#BREAKING: The Japanese government is warning that North Korea appears to have launched at least one ballistic missile. There's a possibility it's heading toward Japan. The government is urging everyone in the country to take shelter immediately. - NHK
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,336

I'm trusting Biden and his team, who are very experienced, know what they are doing.

Thank God it is him and not Trump.

Agreed. Your post mixed up the quotes so our comments were reversed, but we ended up in the same place!
  • Options
    Leon said:

BREAKING: Japan says North Korea has launched a missile, warns people to seek shelter immediately

https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1577063009360531456?s=20&t=6Op-oNsszoUTknitQObUoQ

North Korea one of Putin's few allies, concerning and could be a tactic to distract the West
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

North Korea one of Putin's few allies, concerning and could be a tactic to distract the West
    #BREAKING: Japan says North Korea has launched a missile, warns people to seek shelter immediately.

Message running on local TV: "North Korea appears to have launched a missile. Please evacuate to the inside of a building or go to the basement. Target area: Hokkaido"
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

PeterM said:

just seen on talk tv that Putin may be planning a nuclear test on the ukraine border....missiles have reportedly been seen heading for the border

Why would they need to move the missiles to the border (where they could get hit by HIMARS/artillery)?

The whole point about missiles is that you can fire them a long way away from your opponent.
    BREAKING: President Putin is set to demonstrate his willingness to use weapons of mass destruction with a nuclear test on Ukraine’s borders, defence sources have warned

https://twitter.com/Faytuks/status/1576986753453666305?s=20&t=Q2oCz0KHHI6hfJImCgQlwQ

Nuclear train. @Sunil_Prasannan , your insight please
    Unnecessary. Overhead electrification is much more efficient and safer.
    In France the electric trains are (indirectly) nuclear powered.
    Almost all the energy we use is indirectly from nuclear reactions of one kind or another.
    … aka “the sun”

• Options
    *sips wine*
  • Options
    Extraordinary alert from Japan’s Ministry of Defense and Self Defense Forces that warns the launch of possible ballistic missiles from North Korea.

https://twitter.com/ShigesaburoO/status/1577065648148353024?s=20&t=6Op-oNsszoUTknitQObUoQ
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,097
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

France is also a nuclear weapons power, if say some mad dictator came to power in France and invaded us but we managed to force the French forces back to Kent and patches of East Anglia before the French dictator threatened to use nuclear missiles if we went any further then realpolitik would also force us to stop there and wait.

We had achieved our aim of liberating most of the country, better that than the risk of destroying it with nuclear holocaust.

Though hopefully the fact we had nukes ourselves would have deterred the French from invasion in the first place. Ukraine being told to give up its nukes in the 1990s was clearly one of the biggest diplomatic errors of the 20th century given Russia was keeping its nukes
    So what happens when Putin invades again in another three years, then threatens nukes again? Then when he does the same with the Baltics? Appeasement is madness, and it's always the right wing reactionaries that do it, just as in the 1930s.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

Labour 52% (+6)
    Conservative 24% (-5)
    Green 5% (+1)
    SNP 5% (+2)
    Reform UK 3% (-1)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 28-29 Sept

Whoops

Lead below 30 points.

Why are Lib Dems taking a hammering - they didn’t aid and abet the bad budget! 😠

Libdems the only challengers throughout Blue wall so why don’t they share the Tory slump? Something whiffs about these polls to me, I think they are Mickey Mouse polls, I don’t trust them as being remotely permanent.

There has been ephemeral polling glitches before, Hague wiped out Blair’s lead during Labour conference week one year, voter frustration with not liking being unable to put petrol in car. It was all short lived, polls went straight back to normal a few weeks later.

Without that foundation in fact Lib Dems should not be dropping by a quarter, they should be going up with blue wall voters switching from Tory to them, I refuse to believe these polls are for keeps, I choose to believe it will be back to a Lab lead about 10 in a few weeks and Lib Dems back to 12+. You can’t believe something is for real when its not founded in fact. Do you see what I mean.
    Suppose LibDems had a 20% share in every seat. They would get zero seats with a 20% share. Look at the Greens. 5% share, 1 seat.

Suppose LibDems had a 50% share in 50 seats and a 2% share in the other 600 seats. They would get 50 seat with an overall share of just 6%. Look at the SNP. 5% share, 51 seats.

As voters get wiser to tactical voting and Labour becomes more LibDem friendly, I think that LibDem supporters in Labour seats are declaring that they will vote Labour at a General Election, and in Tory/LibDem marginals, Labour supporters are declaring for the LibDems to get the Tories out.

That is why, as a LibDem, I'm pleased to see the national LibDem share remain around 10%. I know it is a LOT higher in Tory/LibDem marginals. So it must be a LOT lower in the many Tory/Labour marginals - which is good news for anti-Tory voters, who are the large majority.
    I don’t really want to argue with this thought out piece of Barnesian thinking, but I don’t believe it as much as I want to.

Lib Dems jump from third to win with 30% swings because the people there just can’t make the leap to Labour, so why would they tell pollsters something different right now?

I have my own theory. I think the polls are wrong now for the same reason polls are always wrong, underestimating Trump and Bolsonaro for two recent examples - the pollsters are now struggling for balanced and honest samples, Truss and Tories have a lot more support than shown waiting in the polling station, it’s just hiding off grid now or lying to pollsters out of sense of embarrassment.

One poll today greens up 1 to 5 Lib Dem down 3 to 10? That tells you there’s inherent vice in the poll. I would believe your theory over mine if less of the Tory plunge broke for Labour and more of it to Lib Dem.
    You're assuming people move along a left-right axis, so in departing from the Conservatives their natural next stop is the LibDems. Most people don't think in those orderly terms. They think "Tories, god, they've lost the plot, who else is there?" and they see a lot of Starmer and Reeves sounding sensible, and virtually nothing about the LibDems (who were profoundly unlucky to have their conference cancelled), so they say ":Labour". It's not mysterious, or necessarily permanent.
    I don’t think that’s entirely right. A lot of moderate Conservative voters don’t see themselves as particularly political and are motivated more by dislike or even fear of a left-wing government than they are by anything positive that the Tories are advocating (partly explaining why negative campaigning from the Tories can be so very effective).

Whilst you’re right that when these Tories become unhappy with what their party is doing - usually when it has put its own political obsessions before common sense - sensible moderate Labourism can tempt some of these people over, there is still a considerable number who would never vote Labour, but would vote LibDem.
    Like me! I am living proof Nick and Barnsy have called this wrong - did you see Mick and Corbyn on the picket line the other day with all their donkey jacket goons, the Lynch Mob around them? Do you think I could go to a polling station and cast a vote for the party associated with that lot?
  • Options
    In about 20 minutes we will know if the world is going to end tonight
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Leon said:

That's a bugger, I'm going to bed in 13 minutes.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24
    ·
    2h
    BREAKING:

No

Driving through Virginia last week, I came across Bermuda Triangle Road.
  • Options
    I trust that everyone is calm

"Holy shit.
    This is the account of the Japanese Prime Minister's residence.
    They warn N. Korea has launched a ballistic missile towards Japan.

Jesus help."

https://twitter.com/XianJaneway/status/1577065778473742337?s=20&t=6Op-oNsszoUTknitQObUoQ
  • Options
    Leon said:

North Korean missile has flown over Japan, warning canceled, government says

https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1577067133527367693?s=20&t=_sIa47AyO1OFETH2DWJn7g
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

That's a bugger, I'm going to bed in 13 minutes.
    Get an early one? Could be a busy day tomorrow
  • Options
    BREAKING: North Korean missile has flown over Japan, warning canceled, government says
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,336
    IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

Labour 52% (+6)
    Conservative 24% (-5)
    Green 5% (+1)
    SNP 5% (+2)
    Reform UK 3% (-1)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 28-29 Sept

Whoops

Lead below 30 points.

Perhaps, but you're positing that a lot of those 52% are lying or deceiving themselves. I do meet 2019 Tory voters who are prepared to switch to Labour as a sensible alternative, but not the LibDems as they think of them as an unknown quantity. Occam's Razor is that people are currently inclined to vote as they say they are. Doesn't mean they might not recoil at some point. But it's possible that two years of boring Starmerism has actually placed Labour as the centrist alternative in many Tory minds.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,405
    WillG said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

So what happens when Putin invades again in another three years, then threatens nukes again? Then when he does the same with the Baltics? Appeasement is madness, and it's always the right wing reactionaries that do it, just as in the 1930s.
    There was large chunk of the left that demanded unilateral disarmament in the 1930s, in the belief that armaments led to wars.
  • Options
    WillG said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Then Ukraine takes action to force him back again. If he invades the Baltics then we really are at war as they are in NATO.

However even Hitler didn't have nuclear weapons. This is a whole new ball game. You don't go to war with a nuclear missile armed state for anything other than an absolute last resort
  • Options
    lol so we were 14 minutes from the world ending and almost everyone was entirely unaware

.... except everyone in Japan, who must be having a fucking heart attack

Way to frighten everyone. Surely co-ordinated with Putin
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

Labour 52% (+6)
    Conservative 24% (-5)
    Green 5% (+1)
    SNP 5% (+2)
    Reform UK 3% (-1)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 28-29 Sept

Whoops

Lead below 30 points.

Like me! I am living proof Nick and Barnsy have called this wrong - did you see Mick and Corbyn on the picket line the other day with all their donkey jacket goons, the Lynch Mob around them? Do you think I could go to a polling station and cast a vote for the party associated with that lot?
    You can correlate the share of the Conservative vote since the 70s pretty well with how scary the Labour Party are. What the Conservatives do appears to be relatively unimportant in the size of the Conservative vote. People will vote Conservative if they fear Labour.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

Labour 52% (+6)
    Conservative 24% (-5)
    Green 5% (+1)
    SNP 5% (+2)
    Reform UK 3% (-1)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 28-29 Sept

Whoops

Lead below 30 points.

But you will go and cast a vote for a Party that tried to use borrowing to fund tax cuts for the wealthy and whose incompetence nearly wrecked the UK pensions industry and then pushed up mortgage repayments for the entire nation.

Obviously far less dangerous than voting for a leftie union rep that wants more pay for his members. Like all union reps.

You have a very odd set of priorities.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    Apparently this North Korean missile thing has happened before, in 2017 for example.

Perhaps someone is wonely for Trump.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

#BREAKING: Japan says North Korea has launched a missile, warns people to seek shelter immediately.

Message running on local TV: "North Korea appears to have launched a missile. Please evacuate to the inside of a building or go to the basement. Target area: Hokkaido"
    And this is what your want to encourage.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited October 2022
    Leon said:

lol so we were 14 minutes from the world ending and almost everyone was entirely unaware

Shhhhh

I’m listening to an excellent guardian long read on the nature of free will.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-audio-long-read/id587347784

Apparently some of the smartest minds in academia have concluded everything is predetermined, following a kind of cruel disturbing logic.

“Come, come, nuclear bomb”
  • Options
    DavidL said:

AlistairM said:

This is a good comment.

The most interesting thing about the reaction to Elon Musk’s peace plan might be what it says about Russian and Ukrainian views of how the war is going. Russian media broadcast news of Musk’s ideas without criticism.

Whereas in Ukraine there is universal condemnation, which has even reached to Zelensky.

In other words, the Ukrainians are convinced that they will do much better than Musk’s plans, while the Russians aren’t rejecting it.

https://twitter.com/PhillipsPOBrien/status/1577031589204086784

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

Perhaps you'd feel different if it was your son?

I am the father of daughters, btw, so I'm not talking my book. It astounds me: the misanthrophy on here. "These men are stupid dim misogynist layabouts who deserve to have no sex"

No, a lot of them are perfectly pleasant and would really like a nice girlfriend - just one - but technology and society have evolved in a pernicious way that really harms their chances. How is this difficult to understand, and why is sympathy so limited?!
    Low status men have always struggled to find partners. This is not a new phenomenon. It's just that in the Internet age, they get to see high status men having sex with beautiful women.
    But you are wrong. The numbers of men going without sex have surged

"About 1 in 3 men ages 18 to 24 years reported no sexual activity in the past year, according to a new study

Between 2000-2002 and 2016-2018, past-year sexual inactivity rose from almost 19 percent to almost 31 percent among men ages 18 to 24, according to researchers led by Dr. Peter Ueda, a postdoctoral researcher at the Karolinska Institutet in Stockholm, Sweden."

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/young-adults-especially-men-having-sex-less-frequently

How many of them are willingly celibate?

That's nothing: undergraduates at one of America's top
    universities
    have got a close to zero
    percent sex rate in the last year.

It’s all the bloody forms they have to fill in. It kills the mood.

Brigham Young is not one of our top universities.

In any event the cost of schtupping a girl is to spend eternity with them..,
  • Options
    Leon said:

On the grounds that the big dramatic gesture went almost unnoticed around the world until it was over? Are we at the stage now where any tactical cock-up implies Putin was involved?

That'sthe stage I'm at. My assumption is that any nuclear strike by Russia will, if it detonates at all, will fail to leave Russian territory before doing so, with any fallout blown back over Russia in a way causing most self-harm. It just appears to be the way things are going.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999
    Leon said:

"fucking appeaser"

It's ludicrous hysteria. Ironically

All these Armchair Azovs on here who are apparently ready to die for Lugansk would 100% be Goida! Goida! Goida! Putinists if they were Russian. Because they are susceptible to having their emotions manipulated by propoganda and psyops.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Another to add to your collection of invisible wolves…
  • Options

Apparently this North Korean missile thing has happened before, in 2017 for example.

Japanese journalists are, however, saying the Shelter Now warning was unprecedented. Dunno if they are right

And of course that is just a measure of the nervousness of the entire world
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    HYUFD said:

If they go down that route then surely we've got to have a general election in early 2023?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

North Korean missile has flown over Japan, warning canceled, government says

https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1577067133527367693?s=20&t=_sIa47AyO1OFETH2DWJn7g
    Well that's Japan bolting together their flat-pack nukes in the morning then.....
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

If they go down that route then surely we've got to have a general election in early 2023?
    I doubt they would do that on the likelihood of a general election soon after, theoretically Tory MPs could change the PM every 6 months until a general election in January 2025
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

Labour 52% (+6)
    Conservative 24% (-5)
    Green 5% (+1)
    SNP 5% (+2)
    Reform UK 3% (-1)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 28-29 Sept

Whoops

Lead below 30 points.

But you will go and cast a vote for a Party that tried to use borrowing to fund tax cuts for the wealthy and whose incompetence nearly wrecked the UK pensions industry and then pushed up mortgage repayments for the entire nation.

Obviously far less dangerous than voting for a leftie union rep that wants more pay for his members. Like all union reps.

You what? I’m voting Lib Dem.

Interesting how you mistook my gently satirising the pitch of Team Truss as real, and it got under your skin earlier. I conclude the mind of Truss is the very antithesis of your own views.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,639
    Leon said:

BREAKING: North Korean missile has flown over Japan, warning canceled, government says

Nothing on the main news channels about this.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

"fucking appeaser"

It's ludicrous hysteria. Ironically

All these Armchair Azovs on here who are apparently ready to die for Lugansk would 100% be Goida! Goida! Goida! Putinists if they were Russian. Because they are susceptible to having their emotions manipulated by propoganda and psyops.
    Everybody on here is an armchair something, it's a ludicrous expression and always has been.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Cookie said:

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

Labour 52% (+6)
    Conservative 24% (-5)
    Green 5% (+1)
    SNP 5% (+2)
    Reform UK 3% (-1)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 28-29 Sept

Whoops

Lead below 30 points.

You can correlate the share of the Conservative vote since the 70s pretty well with how scary the Labour Party are. What the Conservatives do appears to be relatively unimportant in the size of the Conservative vote. People will vote Conservative if they fear Labour.
    Is Starmers Labour really out the woods on that count?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

TV news is now often half an hour behind twitter
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

TV news is now often half an hour behind twitter
    Given people rightly criticise the type of news story which is just reporting on what is being said on Twitter, that's probably a reasonable delay.
  • Options

Cookie said:

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

Labour 52% (+6)
    Conservative 24% (-5)
    Green 5% (+1)
    SNP 5% (+2)
    Reform UK 3% (-1)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 28-29 Sept

Whoops

Lead below 30 points.

Pretty much, Starmer is the least scary Labour leader since Blair for middle England.

However they still might not give his party an overall majority just in case, even if they give him most seats and enough to become PM
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

It's all true

U.S. Embassy Tokyo, ACS
    @ACSTokyo
    ·
    21m
    ALERT: The Japanese government is warning that North Korea appears to have launched at least one ballistic missile. There's a possibility it's heading toward Japan. The government is urging everyone in the country to monitor news media.

Sirens:

https://twitter.com/TheInsiderPaper/status/1577071303638798337?s=20&t=FAcAwNPa8c7naimk_Q0GKQ
  • Options

Cookie said:

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

Labour 52% (+6)
    Conservative 24% (-5)
    Green 5% (+1)
    SNP 5% (+2)
    Reform UK 3% (-1)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 28-29 Sept

Whoops

Lead below 30 points.

Not by your standars or mine. But I think Labour scare fewer people than any iteration of the party since 2007. SKS has been just so bland and dull in a way that few of his predecessors have managed.
    Now I still see the SKS who called incessantly for more lockdowns. I'm still pretty sore about that. But for most voters I think that's probably ancient history they would rather forget about.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Japanese journalists are, however, saying the Shelter Now warning was unprecedented. Dunno if they are right

Yes, the alert system seems to be new.
    Hoping for @edmundintokyo to enlighten us in due course.

You are right, the world is nervy and twitchy, and this doesn’t help. One presumes Kim recognises this as well, and wants something.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

I doubt they would do that on the likelihood of a general election soon after, theoretically Tory MPs could change the PM every 6 months until a general election in January 2025
    Yes I know that's theoretically the case, however, realistically if they change leader again in this Parliament they will have to go to country soon afterwards as the outrage at the lack of democracy and accountability will far out weigh any gains the Tories might get from changing leaders.

The Tories may think this country is their personal plaything and they can change leaders without bothering to consult the public like they we're back in the 18th century but the voters will have other ideas.

We didn't vote leave to take back control to then have the useless Tory Party inflict whatever losers they want to inflict on us every few months!
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Japanese PM will do press conference in imminently.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

Labour 52% (+6)
    Conservative 24% (-5)
    Green 5% (+1)
    SNP 5% (+2)
    Reform UK 3% (-1)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 28-29 Sept

Whoops

Lead below 30 points.

Perhaps, but you're positing that a lot of those 52% are lying or deceiving themselves. I do meet 2019 Tory voters who are prepared to switch to Labour as a sensible alternative, but not the LibDems as they think of them as an unknown quantity. Occam's Razor is that people are currently inclined to vote as they say they are. Doesn't mean they might not recoil at some point. But it's possible that two years of boring Starmerism has actually placed Labour as the centrist alternative in many Tory minds.
    I think you may be over complicating something very simple, for example how then do you explain Bolsonaro and Trump massively over performing their polls, if it’s not unwillingness to be identified as supporting them driving voters off grid - out of sight and out of mind of pollsters who then underestimate them?

This is a betting site, it would be good for betting to keep in mind certain candidates or views may be woefully unrepresented in opinion polling.

Another example I used, 2000, during Labours conference Hague wiped out Tony Blair’s opinion poll lead didn’t he, ephemerally based on single issue that was resolved and things reverted back.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

Yes I know that's theoretically the case, however, realistically if they change leader again in this Parliament they will have to go to country soon afterwards as the outrage at the lack of democracy and accountability will far out weigh any gains the Tories might get from changing leaders.

The Tories may think this country is their personal plaything and they can change leaders without bothering to consult the public like they we're back in the 18th century but the voters will have other ideas.

We didn't vote leave to take back control to then have the useless Tory Party inflict whatever losers they want to inflict on us every few months!
    I must disagree. It appears that is more or less exactly what we have done :D
  • Options
    edited October 2022

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

I must disagree. It appears that is more or less exactly what we have done :D
    Well maybe... but the Tories should beware the voters wrath when they do eventually have to face the electorate...
  • Options

Japanese PM will do press conference in imminently.

It's an effective means of instilling terror

"The missile flew over our land, and it could have a grave impact on the lives and livelihood of the Japanese people. We are collecting information on whether there is falling debris, Minister Matsuno says. Cooperating with relevant countries, is gathering information on the launch."

https://twitter.com/myhlee/status/1577074711573721088?s=20&t=f0d7_19bMWP6Iw9dnt4TSQ

Imagine this in the UK. Imagine if we all got a sudden warning from the Home Office. on our phones, social media, etc, to "run to the nearest shelter because Russia has launched a ballistic missile at the UK". Sirens go off in the streets. We all wait, tensed, to see if the missile lands...

Crikey
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

Labour 52% (+6)
    Conservative 24% (-5)
    Green 5% (+1)
    SNP 5% (+2)
    Reform UK 3% (-1)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 28-29 Sept

Whoops

Lead below 30 points.

Not by your standars or mine. But I think Labour scare fewer people than any iteration of the party since 2007. SKS has been just so bland and dull in a way that few of his predecessors have managed.
    Now I still see the SKS who called incessantly for more lockdowns. I'm still pretty sore about that. But for most voters I think that's probably ancient history they would rather forget about.
    Interestingly, the last two May’s, Tory HQ and their friends in the media really have been able to put the squeeze on Team Starmer and move the polls and election results away from him. They don’t need a smoking gun, a steaming curry has been enough to whip up Clinton level “lock her up” outrage and dent Labour.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

Labour 52% (+6)
    Conservative 24% (-5)
    Green 5% (+1)
    SNP 5% (+2)
    Reform UK 3% (-1)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 28-29 Sept

Whoops

Lead below 30 points.

Interesting how you mistook my gently satirising the pitch of Team Truss as real, and it got under your skin earlier. I conclude the mind of Truss is the very antithesis of your own views.
    Sometimes we can't tell Rabbit fact from Rabbit satire.

Today is Tuesday I am a LibDem Rabbit, yesterday I was a Conservative Rabbit and tomorrow I will be a Rabbit supporting Starmer. Entirely your call, but elections fall on Thursdays, is that a Green day?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

Labour 52% (+6)
    Conservative 24% (-5)
    Green 5% (+1)
    SNP 5% (+2)
    Reform UK 3% (-1)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 28-29 Sept

Whoops

Lead below 30 points.

Yes. Truss irritates me greatly because she is so bl**dy stupid and has made it to the top job. It is a searing indictment of how seriously stuffed the UK has become. That the Leader of the country can be so woefully inadequate should annoy the whole country.

My apologies to you for mistaking you as a Tory voter. You do a convincing job of putting yourself over as one.
  • Options

Leon said:

You are right, the world is nervy and twitchy, and this doesn’t help. One presumes Kim recognises this as well, and wants something.
    An influx of Japanese?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24
    ·
    2h
    BREAKING:

No

Barry Manilow did that!
    WTF have I just listened to 😣😳

• Options

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

Labour 52% (+6)
    Conservative 24% (-5)
    Green 5% (+1)
    SNP 5% (+2)
    Reform UK 3% (-1)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 28-29 Sept

Whoops

Lead below 30 points.

Yes. Truss irritates me greatly because she is so bl**dy stupid and has made it to the top job. It is a searing indictment of how seriously stuffed the UK has become. That the Leader of the country can be so woefully inadequate should annoy the whole country.

My apologies to you for mistaking you as a Tory voter. You do a convincing job of putting yourself over as one.
    It was quite clear from the posts I was explaining what the pitch is. That same pitch had worked well for Trump and Bolsonaro hasn’t it? Let’s take another look

From highest tax take since the war your taxes back in your family’s housekeeping pot to spend how you wish,
    you want the idle hooked on state hand outs to find a job, as they are in bed as you go out for your first job of the day to come back to news tte country is unproductive,
    you want growth, you want Aspiration Britain, productivity and growth (and growth, did I mention growth?)
    You want an end to our nations decline, you want a UK punching it’s weight in world again.

Surely opinion polls putting this pitch at under 33% are under estimating the appeal of this message amongst all those who will vote at the next election?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

Labour 52% (+6)
    Conservative 24% (-5)
    Green 5% (+1)
    SNP 5% (+2)
    Reform UK 3% (-1)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 28-29 Sept

Whoops

Lead below 30 points.

Sometimes we can't tell Rabbit fact from Rabbit satire.

Today is Tuesday I am a LibDem Rabbit, yesterday I was a Conservative Rabbit and tomorrow I will be a Rabbit supporting Starmer. Entirely your call, but elections fall on Thursdays, is that a Green day?
    No no MexPets you’ve already outed yourself as too intelligent to believe that mischief you’ve just posted. I always post from the centre ground and you know it.

If I type this

From highest tax take since the war your taxes back in your family’s housekeeping pot to spend how you wish,
    you want the idle hooked on state hand outs to find a job, as they are in bed as you go out for your first job of the day to come back to news the country is unproductive,
    you want growth, you want Aspiration Britain, productivity and growth (and growth, did I mention growth?)
    You want an end to our nations decline, you want a UK punching it’s weight in world again.

That’s not me as a Tory, worse than that on Team Truss, that is me asking you, is this the Truss Pitch? Will this pitch have more votes than opinion polling will find, to tie it in with my second point of the night.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

Labour 52% (+6)
    Conservative 24% (-5)
    Green 5% (+1)
    SNP 5% (+2)
    Reform UK 3% (-1)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 28-29 Sept

Whoops

Lead below 30 points.

It was quite clear from the posts I was explaining what the pitch is. That same pitch had worked well for Trump and Bolsonaro hasn’t it? Let’s take another look

you want the idle hooked on state hand outs to find a job, as they are in bed as you go out for your first job of the day to come back to news tte country is unproductive,

Surely opinion polls putting this pitch at under 33% are under estimating the appeal of this message amongst all those who will vote at the next election?
    You are projecting what you think I want rather than knowing what I actually do want. How sad.

Goodnight.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    Professor Jeffrey Sachs claims on Bloomberg that the US blew up Nord Stream.

https://twitter.com/LPNH/status/1576985043465285634
  • Options

A lot of eminent people seem to have gone slightly.... (choose whatever word you like) over the last few years.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

It's all true

U.S. Embassy Tokyo, ACS
    @ACSTokyo
    ·
    21m
    ALERT: The Japanese government is warning that North Korea appears to have launched at least one ballistic missile. There's a possibility it's heading toward Japan. The government is urging everyone in the country to monitor news media.

Sirens:

https://twitter.com/TheInsiderPaper/status/1577071303638798337?s=20&t=FAcAwNPa8c7naimk_Q0GKQ
    Strange how they're not reporting it.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,886

I doubt anyone would have told him so even if they had.

These academics seem to have forgotten that even conspiracy theories require at least some evidence.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Andy_JS said:

A lot of eminent people seem to have gone slightly.... (choose whatever word you like) over the last few years.
    Wouldn’t surprise me if it was the Americans. More likely than not, Russia. But it’s possible it was us wot dun it.

Inadvisable for Sachs to make those comments, though.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    ping said:

Andy_JS said:

Wouldn’t surprise me if it was the Americans. More likely than not, Russia. But it’s possible it was us wot dun it.

Inadvisable for Sachs to make those comments, though.
    Thing is, if it was Russia, I would expect them to go big on them being attacked, then respond by attacking some of our inter-European pipelines, maybe one or more of the Norway ones.

Maybe they’ve been trying that plan and it hasn’t worked? Maybe we’ve scared off their subs? Maybe there are explosives with ticking timers on our pipelines?

It’s all very mysterious.

But yeah, it would be foolish to discount us/the Americans.

• Options
  • Options

It's a bit like Covid: ultimately there are very few people who actually know. In fact, the only people who actually know - in the case of the pipeline - will be the people who did it

We will, hopefully, find out who did it after the war is over. And that's what gives me pause over it being the Americans: because it's a pretty serious attack on an ally when you start blowing up their pipelines.
  • Options

Leon said:

Another pie?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

It's a bit like Covid: ultimately there are very few people who actually know. In fact, the only people who actually know - in the case of the pipeline - will be the people who did it

We will, hopefully, find out who did it after the war is over. And that's what gives me pause over it being the Americans: because it's a pretty serious attack on an ally when you start blowing up their pipelines.
    If it wasn't the Russians, why are the Russians still pumping gas into it?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,306
    If the story of more gas being pumped through the broken pipes to prevent investigation is true then the actor is Russia. Only they can do that.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,306
    WillG said:

rcs1000 said:

If it wasn't the Russians, why are the Russians still pumping gas into it?
    Snap
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

WillG said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Then Ukraine takes action to force him back again. If he invades the Baltics then we really are at war as they are in NATO.

However even Hitler didn't have nuclear weapons. This is a whole new ball game. You don't go to war with a nuclear missile armed state for anything other than an absolute last resort
    But Ukraine won't be able to force him back again because he can engage in another round of nuclear blackmail. Just as he can with NATO states.
This discussion has been closed.