Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A LAB majority becomes the election betting favourite – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• Options

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1575816156937875456
    Westminster Voting Intention:

LAB: 50% (+10)
    CON: 20% (-8)
    LDM: 9% (-1)
    GRN: 8% (=)
    SNP: 5% (-1)

Via
    @PeoplePolling
    , 29 Sep.
    Changes w/ 21 Sep.

The hits keep on coming....

What have the Lib Dems done?
    I think its what the Tories have done. In a Cameron v Brown type election I might be a LD voter. In a Cameron v Corbyn election I am more likely a Tory voter as stopping Corbyn more important. In a Truss v Starmer election I am more likely a Labour voter than a LD as stopping Truss more important.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,250

Leon said:

Or we could simply watch the US Senate Foreign Affairs Committee openly demanding that the Nordstream pipeline be “ended permanently, not just suspended” - back in July 21

https://twitter.com/gefira_org/status/1575744582356467712?s=46&t=QJuJi3i2InYi7HVRCxyY9w

So you can either believe the evidence here in front of your eyes, or the mad theories of assorted hobos on politicalbetting.com

What's a hobo ? Is it an itinerant with a drinking problem ?

Here is the actual exchange (also it's from December 2021 NOT July):

Senator Johnson. One thing that I believe, certainly, the
    Senate Foreign Relations Committee is pretty unified on--it may
    not be unanimous--was our support for sanctions against the
    Nord Stream 2 pipeline. I think many of us were very
    disappointed that those sanctions were not fully implemented
    and the construction continued.
    I cannot think of a more powerful way to punish Russian
    aggression than by rolling back what progress has been made
    and, if at all possible, prevent the Nord Stream 2 from ever
    being completed.
    Is that something that is being discussed with allies? Is
    that something that is being contemplated?

Ms. Nuland. Absolutely. As you recall from the July U.S.-
    German statement, that was very much in that statement, that
    any moves of Russian aggression against Ukraine would have a
    direct impact on the pipeline, and that is our expectation and
    the conversation that we are having.

Senator Johnson. Again, direct impact is one thing, but I
    am literally talking about rolling back the pipeline. Loosely,
    define that, but I mean taking action that will prevent it from
    ever becoming operational.

Ms. Nuland. I think if President Putin moves on Ukraine,
    our expectation is that the pipeline will be suspended.

Senator Johnson. I certainly hope the Senate Foreign
    Relations Committee would take up legislation to go beyond just
    suspending it, but from ending it permanently. Anyway, thank
    you, Under Secretary Nuland.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    Leon said:

By turning the annexed territories into "Russia", Putin has now turned his Special Needs Military Operation into an invasion of Russia - only by him

Which also means he has broken rule 1 of Eurasian war:

Never Invade Russia

The optics of taking land into Russia only to be losing that land is, to say the least, odd.

I guess he doesn't have many cards. Calling a ceasefire in those lands? Well, Ukraine isn't going to stop. Meeting a breach of the ceasefire with nukes? Maybe....

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,150

Democratic candidate John Fetterman’s lead over Republican Mehmet Oz is narrowing in Pennsylvania’s Senate race, according to a new Emerson College Polling/The Hill survey released Friday.

The survey found that 45 percent of likely Pennsylvania general election voters backed Fetterman while 43 percent supported Oz, falling within the poll’s margin of error of plus or minus three percentage points.

The Hill

Truss provoking a market wobble may just cost the Dems too.
    Telegraph predicts mayhem in the London property market. Perhaps @kinabalu is right

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/house-prices/why-london-will-hardest-hit-mortgage-crisis/

Flats especially hit. Great

I still believe places like Cornwall will suffer more, as they have gone utterly nuts. At least in London there are lots of rich people to support high prices, in Cornwall there are lots of relatively poor people
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, worst honeymoon since Persephone?

Much worse, worse than the honeymoon of Edmure Tully and Roslin Frey.

(Yes I know they didn't go on a honeymoon, but you get the drift.)
  • Options

Via
    @PeoplePolling
    , 29 Sep.
    Changes w/ 21 Sep.

Just imagine how bad it would be if Liz Truss wasn't enjoying a honeymoon.
    Given the speculation, maybe a Truss honeymoon is meant to be painful.
  • Options

Taz said:

Leon said:

Here we go boys. Buckle up

⚡️ A nuclear attack on Ukraine will be considered an attack on NATO, - US Senator Lindsey Graham

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1575799900960624642?s=20&t=3gBiXrZrwRFTh8K40LXS1w

More sabre rattling. That’s going to help.

Yes, it will actually.

Graham is for once on the side of the angels here. Russia needs to know that using a nuclear weapon means all out MAD destruction of Russia. Total and utter annihilation.

And every soldier in the chain of command needs to know its suicide if they follow that order too.
    There is a NATO presser at 7pm. I wonder if it will say the same?

Or maybe that the quality and quantity of weapons is about to be massively upgraded. Everything short of nukes.
    Unlikely because it ties hands. Better to go with the ambiguity Biden has been using - there will be grave consequences, but I’m not going to tell you what those are.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    This thread has been the subject of a damning attack by ConHome....
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

Via
    @PeoplePolling
    , 29 Sep.
    Changes w/ 21 Sep.

Been irrelevant.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, worse than Sansa's honeymoon?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,377

Via
    @PeoplePolling
    , 29 Sep.
    Changes w/ 21 Sep.

I think its what the Tories have done. In a Cameron v Brown type election I might be a LD voter. In a Cameron v Corbyn election I am more likely a Tory voter as stopping Corbyn more important. In a Truss v Starmer election I am more likely a Labour voter than a LD as stopping Truss more important.
    The Lib Dems are, nationally, close to invisible. Outside the political bubble - who can name their leader?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

So, nothing on innovation and R&D, but they want productivity up. They haven't a fecking clue...

Ben Riley-Smith
    @benrileysmith
    ·
    5m
    Understand these are the eight supply side reform areas that we can expect announcements on between now and Nov23:

Biz regulation
    Agriculture
    Housing and planning
    Immigration
    Mobile and broadband
    Financial services
    Childcare
    Energy

Nice to say words, but we need action. What is the action going to be on things like housing and planning?

And how will it not be killed off my NIMBY scum like May killing off Boris's sensible proposed reforms.
    At the moment NIMBY pensioners are the only age group still loyal to Truss.

Lose them too and the Truss core vote would be reduced to rich bankers and developers and that would be it
    Not sure there's all that much support amongst rich bankers and develops, Hyufd. They are mostly smart people, and can see the long-term downside of what is going on. Many have a social conscience too.

I actually think the core Tory vote will soon be down to fuckwits and Daily Mail readers, (two groups which are of course not mutually exclusive.)
    Except most Daily Mail readers are NIMBYs, lose them and there is no core left
    Good. Rebuild without that cancer.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,204
    carnforth said:

DavidL said:

Have you seen this one? @DavidL

'Tony Parsons’ body was discovered at a farm near Bridge of Orchy in January 2021, more than three years after he disappeared'
    https://road.cc/content/news/twins-murder-cyclist-after-hitting-him-car-296243

No. Looks like a death by dangerous driving whilst unfit to me. Can’t see it’s murder unless they finished him off after they hit him.
    The BBC article I read suggested they hid him under a tarp in the woods, and came back later to bury him. If they can show he wasn’t dead when they left him under the tarp…
    The nasty details:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-62913661.amp
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,939
    This thread has ceased to be.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,988

eek said:

biggles said:

So, nothing on innovation and R&D, but they want productivity up. They haven't a fecking clue...

Ben Riley-Smith
    @benrileysmith
    ·
    5m
    Understand these are the eight supply side reform areas that we can expect announcements on between now and Nov23:

Biz regulation
    Agriculture
    Housing and planning
    Immigration
    Mobile and broadband
    Financial services
    Childcare
    Energy

It’s fair to assume something big has always been planned for Conference next week. Maybe something counterintuitive? “Childcare” is an interesting outlier.
    Children will no longer be cared for so we can cut the top rate to 35%
    Send em down pit for thruppence an hour. Cheap energy and childcare sorted in one.
    If children aren't cared for 1 parent won't be working...
    The gangmasters can look after them. JRM wanted to go back to the 1950s. Truss is going further and taking us back to the 1850s.
    In a further burning of red tape, the Truck Acts will be repealed. N.B. For PB pedants, I realise they are now called the Employment Rights Act.
  • Options

Via
    @PeoplePolling
    , 29 Sep.
    Changes w/ 21 Sep.

The Lib Dems are, nationally, close to invisible. Outside the political bubble - who can name their leader?
    Indeed. I would guess less than 15% of the country can correctly name 3 current LD MPs without looking them up, perhaps as low as 5%.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,377
    kamski said:

Leon said:

Or we could simply watch the US Senate Foreign Affairs Committee openly demanding that the Nordstream pipeline be “ended permanently, not just suspended” - back in July 21

https://twitter.com/gefira_org/status/1575744582356467712?s=46&t=QJuJi3i2InYi7HVRCxyY9w

So you can either believe the evidence here in front of your eyes, or the mad theories of assorted hobos on politicalbetting.com

being completed.

As part of sanctions on Russia, the US implemented sanctions against financing or participating in Nord Stream 2.

This means that if the Germans tried to restart Nord Stream 2, any companies involved (or banks) would be instantly denied access to the international financial system, by the American sanctions. As a start.....

This is what they were talking about above.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,204
    In other Scotland Murders news, looks like they are getting close on the Doorstep murder case:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-63050180
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Ben Riley-Smith
    @benrileysmith
    ·
    5m

Biz regulation
    Agriculture
    Housing and planning
    Immigration
    Mobile and broadband
    Financial services
    Childcare
    Energy

Nice to say words, but we need action. What is the action going to be on things like housing and planning?

And how will it not be killed off my NIMBY scum like May killing off Boris's sensible proposed reforms.
    At the moment NIMBY pensioners are the only age group still loyal to Truss.

Lose them too and the Truss core vote would be reduced to rich bankers and developers and that would be it
    Not sure there's all that much support amongst rich bankers and develops, Hyufd. They are mostly smart people, and can see the long-term downside of what is going on. Many have a social conscience too.

I actually think the core Tory vote will soon be down to fuckwits and Daily Mail readers, (two groups which are of course not mutually exclusive.)
    Except most Daily Mail readers are NIMBYs, lose them and there is no core left
    Good. Rebuild without that cancer.
    There would be nothing left to rebuild from apart from a few rich spivs loyal to Truss
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,280
    eek said:

carnforth said:

https://twitter.com/rcolvile/status/1575783554747076608?s=46&t=hUVvhRM1PKTCRmABB6Ii5A

CEBR claims treasury is hugely wrong and we’re heading for a small surplus by 2025/26. Someone is going to have egg on their faces either way.

CEBR are using different calculations and models to the OBR - and if you change the model you can generate any result you want....

What the CEBR may have clocked and what others are ignoring is that Kwartengs plans indicated both massive tax rises and massive cuts. Basically personal allowances and current government spending were frozen for the next 2 years. In a time of 10% inflation that is huge fiscal drag and serious cuts in departmental budgets.
    Even if the gas scheme knocked 5% off inflation that is still pretty harsh. But the government doesn’t want to admit that their tax cuts were in fact tax increases for most, offset to some extent for the most wealthy.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,988
    biggles said:

eek said:

Worth posting this just to show the scale of the problem...

Dan Bloom
    @danbloom1
    Don’t usually do this but… my partner and I were very lucky to get our first-time buy mortgage offer in Autumn 2021, on a good rate. The monthly payment is currently about £930. If we took out the same mortgage with the same lender today, the monthly payment would be £1,700.

I can’t make the maths work on that, looking at where the market is. I think it’s bollocks.
    Interest only?
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,340
    DavidL said:

biggles said:

eek said:

Worth posting this just to show the scale of the problem...

Dan Bloom
    @danbloom1
    Don’t usually do this but… my partner and I were very lucky to get our first-time buy mortgage offer in Autumn 2021, on a good rate. The monthly payment is currently about £930. If we took out the same mortgage with the same lender today, the monthly payment would be £1,700.

I can’t make the maths work on that, looking at where the market is. I think it’s bollocks.
    It may be slightly on the low side. Mortgage rates have risen from roughly 2.5 to 5 in that time, depending on fees and introductory offers.
    Yeah, but (admittedly without sitting down for hours on this) his numbers imply he‘s paying mostly interest. A mad 35 year deal he ought not to have taken?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334

Taz said:

Leon said:

⚡️ A nuclear attack on Ukraine will be considered an attack on NATO, - US Senator Lindsey Graham

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1575799900960624642?s=20&t=3gBiXrZrwRFTh8K40LXS1w

Yes, it will actually.

Graham is for once on the side of the angels here. Russia needs to know that using a nuclear weapon means all out MAD destruction of Russia. Total and utter annihilation.

And every soldier in the chain of command needs to know its suicide if they follow that order too.
    It doesn't quite say that, and if Biden wanted to say it he wouldn't choose a GOP senator to peak for him. And annihilation of a country as you suggest (any country) in retaliation for battlefield weapons would be more criminal than the original invasion. It'd be perfectly credible, and probably enough, to say that NATO would get directly involved, including imposing a no-fly zone.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,250

kamski said:

Leon said:

being completed.

As part of sanctions on Russia, the US implemented sanctions against financing or participating in Nord Stream 2.

This means that if the Germans tried to restart Nord Stream 2, any companies involved (or banks) would be instantly denied access to the international financial system, by the American sanctions. As a start.....

Well, yes. The exchange at the end:

Ms. Nuland. "I think if President Putin moves on Ukraine,
    our expectation is that the pipeline will be suspended."

Senator Johnson. "I certainly hope the Senate Foreign
    you, Under Secretary Nuland."

can't possibly be twisted to support the idea the the Committee was calling for the pipeline to be blown up, as Leon seems to be claiming.
  • Options

kamski said:

Leon said:

being completed.

Indeed. Unfortunately Chicken Licken has stopped listening.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,939
    eek said:

carnforth said:

https://twitter.com/rcolvile/status/1575783554747076608?s=46&t=hUVvhRM1PKTCRmABB6Ii5A

CEBR claims treasury is hugely wrong and we’re heading for a small surplus by 2025/26. Someone is going to have egg on their faces either way.

CEBR will be allowing for the across the board 25% reduction in public spending to be announced at the Tory conference.
    Love to know where the cuts will be made - because there isn't anything to cut unless you cut whole services....
    Privatise Education & Health. Boom. Job done.

The expenditure will still have to be made of course, but hey: it won’t be the government’s responsibility any more!
  • Options
    Taz said:

Leon said:

And not entirely convincing from the original Lady G.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Why would an opposition senator be deciding NATO policy?
    I doubt he is going particularly off-piste here? Surely he has squared this with the White House. It is far too important for fucking about. If he is speaking for himself, it is damned stupid

It's Lindsey Graham, he's the stupidest man in the Senate.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The Next Labour Government will be two or three terms at the least. The Tories aren't getting back in for a long time.

I said to my wife last night that I am not sure we will see another Tory government. We are in our early 60s. Truss and Kwarteng have really screwed the pooch.
    Yes you will - assuming you are both in good health and living into your 80s etc. I'd be amazed if the Tories were out of power for 20 years. 10-15, maybe.
  • Options

Via
    @PeoplePolling
    , 29 Sep.
    Changes w/ 21 Sep.

Just imagine how bad it would be if Liz Truss wasn't enjoying a honeymoon.
    Ah, so that's where she's been. A bit late, but hope she enjoyed it.
  • Options
    eek said:

Mobile and broadband sounds good, planning reform changes so people can't reject masts?

The work to upgrade Openreach's network to 100% fibre is already in progress so I would love to know what they are planning to do.

As for mobile the best bet there is mast sharing - planning isn't an issue even in a national park (provided you aren't building a permanent road to the mast.
    All the new Three masts in Wandsworth have been rejected on grounds of "visual intrusion". This sort of nonsense should end.
  • Options
    Interesting conversation just now with a U.S. contact of mine. They don’t view a nuclear event as probable but are working hard to communicate precisely what the consequences would be. Both directly and indirectly.

A couple of ideas floated (ha ha) one which I preferred to the other. Neither I have seen mentioned on here before so I don’t think I should be specific. But I definitely prefer one to the other and I would send a pretty clear message.
This discussion has been closed.