Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

How’s Truss going to do against Starmer and vice versa? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited August 2022 in General
imageHow’s Truss going to do against Starmer and vice versa? – politicalbetting.com

The most interesting aspect of UK politics over the next few months will be seeing how the new Tory leader and Prime Minister, Liz Truss, does against Keir Starmer and vice versa. Their first PMQs is going to be a must watch.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    He's a gammon. End of.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,280
    I think debating with Sunak has definitely toughened Truss up and made her faster on her feet. Whether that is enough given the choices she has to make and the inheritence that she is receiving remains to be seen.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    Course it could be that Brentford are very very good. They got a point at Leicester last weekend after all.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    In many ways this second half from United is even worse.
    Brentford just sitting back. And still nowt created whatsoever.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Truss is underrated and Starmer is overrated.

However, the scale of the mountain of excrement about to hit the fan makes the personal qualities of the combatants nearly irrelevant.
  • Options
    Starmer should be more like 66% imo to be PM after the GE. But anyway, smug city because I have £100 on at 3/1.

Also anxious city because the bet is with 'long time no see unless he's back with a new name' Isam. Which I don't think he is.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Starmer should be more like 66% imo to be PM after the GE. But anyway, smug city because I have £100 on at 3/1.

Also anxious city because the bet is with 'long time no see unless he's back with a new name' Isam. Which I don't think he is.

“Returnees” are super-easy to spot (cf Sean version 27). I haven’t seen Sam I’m afraid.
  • Options
    Mike

Add me to the list of people who think Starmer underrated.

By the time of the next election voters may be crying out for a bit of boring competence and even his critics accept that's the minimum he offers.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
  • Options

Mike

Add me to the list of people who think Starmer underrated.

By the time of the next election voters may be crying out for a bit of boring competence and even his critics accept that's the minimum he offers.

Lab Maj drifting as we speak, now out to 4.6

Still appalling value.

If voters are “crying out” for the dud, their voices are gey muffled.
  • Options
    Stuart.

'By the time of the next election.'

Got it?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    Whatever your view of his overall thesis, I really recommend reading Oliver Eagleton's superb account (p74-127) of how Labour moved from its pledge to respect Leave in its 2017 manifesto to the car crash 2nd referendum policy in 2019. Starmer behaved, in my view, disgracefully.

https://twitter.com/richardmarcj/status/1558507707916849153
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744

Whatever your view of his overall thesis, I really recommend reading Oliver Eagleton's superb account (p74-127) of how Labour moved from its pledge to respect Leave in its 2017 manifesto to the car crash 2nd referendum policy in 2019. Starmer behaved, in my view, disgracefully.

If, as per the title of the book, The Starmer Project is a journey to the right, presumably that would still take the, much closer to the political centre.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

In many ways this second half from United is even worse.
    Brentford just sitting back. And still nowt created whatsoever.

It's all the running along the edge of the box, "beating" players but never getting a shot away or any threat followed by the inevitable pass back that is genuinely making me miserable.
  • Options

ping said:
    Yes. They make up the numbers. Quite literally.

Let’s get back to good old honest raw numbers. We asked 2,000 people and x said this, y said this and z said this. No fucking bollocks.
    "100% of people believe answering opinion polls is a good use of their time, researchers find".
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    There are some very bad taste Man Utd jokes currently working their way around the internet.

Let’s hope the Glazers know about the football pyramid, and don’t think they bought a “Premier League franchise”.
  • Options

Stuart.

Got it?

Yes, I appreciated your qualification. I do actually read PBers posts.

Let me respond this way: the Year of next UK GE market presents an outstanding opportunity.

Truss has one chance, and one chance only. She needs to go hard and go early. A whirlwind. Con Maj 1 would be an astonishing success. I think she can do it.
  • Options

ping said:

Let’s get back to good old honest raw numbers. We asked 2,000 people and x said this, y said this and z said this. No fucking bollocks.
    "100% of people believe answering opinion polls is a good use of their time, researchers find".
    In that case, 100% of people are idiots.
  • Options
    I was being told at our celebratory lunch today by my son's chinese girlfriend that in Mandarin 4 is a very unlucky number because it sounds like the word for death. Maybe they have a point.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    Man Utd bottom of the table. Just rejoice at that news
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817

Stuart.

Got it?

Let me respond this way: the Year of next UK GE market presents an outstanding opportunity.

Truss has one chance, and one chance only. She needs to go hard and go early. A whirlwind. Con Maj 1 would be an astonishing success. I think she can do it.
    Thing is going from a majority of 80 to a majority of 1 in an election two years early would be a seen as a disaster for Truss and Con.

So she'll do what Brown, Major and Callaghan did and wait until the last possible moment in the hope something turns up.

I expect a January 2025 election and a small Labour majority government to be the result.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I was being told at our celebratory lunch today by my son's chinese girlfriend that in Mandarin 4 is a very unlucky number because it sounds like the word for death. Maybe they have a point.

Look, last time Manchester United lost the first two matches of the season was 1992/93 and that season didn't turn out too badly for the United?
  • Options

DavidL said:

Look, last time Manchester United lost the first two matches of the season was 1992/93 and that season didn't turn out too badly for the United?
    They've got the prems other joke team next week.
  • Options
    What is Erik Ten Hag most famous for?

Being more Spursy against Spurs in a Champions League final.

That's not what Manchester United need.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    DavidL said:

Yes.
    Most streets don't have a number 4. Apartment buildings seldom have a fourth floor.
    A hugely important part of Taiwanese elections is the random draw of each candidate's number, which appears on all adverts and ballot paper.
    Number 4 is considered extremely inauspicious.
    However. You should be worried about the number 20.
    That's your position.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Chances of the Union reaching 4 centuries?

Yes 8/1
    No 1/9
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,534
    edited August 2022
    Sandpit said:

There are some very bad taste Man Utd jokes currently working their way around the internet.

Let’s hope the Glazers know about the football pyramid, and don’t think they bought a “Premier League franchise”.

Man U supporters have every reason to be aware that other leagues and divisions are available, having had a look at one as recently as 1975. Arsenal supporters however are only dimly aware, from myth and legend told by great great grandparents, that such things exist.

I still, 103 years later, start every season with the first aim that they are not relegated. It has worked every time so far.

Arsenal, Everton and the queen: three in the top flight all my life.
  • Options
    Man U need to consider Big Sam, hes got one last relegation struggle in him
    Cristiano knew, just like Fergie knew, he wanted out badly
  • Options

Exactly where they deserve to be
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

There'll be tears right across China tonight.
  • Options
    Party insiders say two-thirds of Tory members have voted, with turnout only expected to be about 75 per cent in total. Internal estimates put Truss ahead with 66 per cent.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/aboard-his-ghost-ship-government-johnson-is-bored-and-the-ministers-are-mutinous-pbhrb5rmz
  • Options

ping said:

In that case, 100% of people are idiots.
    Or 1% of people are, and the 99% of people who think answering polls is a waste of time didn't answer the poll. But hey, raw numbers!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    edited August 2022
    I think Starmer will secretly be pleased he will have to face Liz Truss, who is just as dull as him, rather than the more charismatic Boris or Rishi. 9 times out of ten the more charismatic party leader wins UK general elections

Not only that, Truss is indeed running on the most hardline rightwing platform of any Tory leader since IDS, despite her liberal past and previous support for Remain. However both Truss and Starmer are serious and hardworking so we will see what happens.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Stuart.

Got it?

Thing is going from a majority of 80 to a majority of 1 in an election two years early would be a seen as a disaster for Truss and Con.

So she'll do what Brown, Major and Callaghan did and wait until the last possible moment in the hope something turns up.

I expect a January 2025 election and a small Labour majority government to be the result.
    Lab Maj? You’re a brave man. What’s your stake?

Assuming SLab MPs = max 5 (copyright CHB), and Welsh Labour sweeping the board, how the hell is Starmer going to get to Maj?? Have you perused the list of English seats he’d need to gain? It is gargantuan.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

What's the difference between a triangle and Man Utd?
  • Options

Exactly where they deserve to be
    They are lower than the foulest belly crawlers. Maguire must be the worst footballer in the prem by a distance
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,231
    DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

Manchester United Football Club

There's a trades description offence right there.
    Well, the Hundred is called 'cricket.'
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I think Starmer will secretly be pleased he will have to face Liz Truss, who is just as dull as him, rather than the more charismatic Boris or Rishi. 9 times out of ten the more charismatic party leader wins UK general elections

Not only that, Truss is indeed running on the most hardline rightwing platform of any Tory leader since IDS, despite her liberal past and previous support for Remain. However both Truss and Starmer are serious and hardworking so we will see what happens.

Truss = dull

Ho ho.

If there’s anything English politics is going to be, it’s not “dull”.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

HYUFD said:

Truss = dull

Ho ho.

If there’s anything English politics is going to be, it’s not “dull”.
    Rishi charismatic. Wow.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    “Edinburgh Fringe: Jerry Sadowitz show cancelled by venue bosses”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-62533592

“The Pleasance declined to give detail about what aspects of Sadowitz's material led to the cancellation.

Its director, Anthony Alderson, added: "The Pleasance is a venue that champions freedom of speech and we do not censor comedians' material.

"While we acknowledge that Jerry Sadowitz has often been controversial, the material presented at his first show is not acceptable and does not align with our values.

"This type of material has no place on the festival and the Pleasance will not be presenting his second and final show"

The height of absurdity. The director is tangling himself in impossibly illogical knots. You can’t be both pro-free speech and then engage in cancel culture.

He should have said “free speech has limits” or been brutally honest and said “I don’t agree with this, but we’re scared of the thugs” or even more honest, “this is a commercial decision”
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    GIN1138 said:

Stuart.

Got it?

Maybe. I still think that Labour gaining 123 seats to get to 325 is a long shot. 5% chance? The current odds are rubbish.

The alchemy of UK politics will with luck give us a Lab minority government, relying on LD support or coalition.

• Options
    edited August 2022

GIN1138 said:

Stuart.

Got it?

Lab Maj? You’re a brave man. What’s your stake?

Assuming SLab MPs = max 5 (copyright CHB), and Welsh Labour sweeping the board, how the hell is Starmer going to get to Maj?? Have you perused the list of English seats he’d need to gain? It is gargantuan.
    And Wales loses 8 seats, 4 of which are Labour, so that nullifies any Scottish gains if limited to 5 seats
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    ping said:

“The Pleasance declined to give detail about what aspects of Sadowitz's material led to the cancellation.

Its director, Anthony Alderson, added: "The Pleasance is a venue that champions freedom of speech and we do not censor comedians' material.

"While we acknowledge that Jerry Sadowitz has often been controversial, the material presented at his first show is not acceptable and does not align with our values.

"This type of material has no place on the festival and the Pleasance will not be presenting his second and final show"

Did they say that with a straight face? And without realising the irony of what they said?

Fair enough to say they wouldn't book him because they don't approve of his act, but they can't then say they don't censor material. The two are mutually exclusive.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

I'm actually warming to the hundred. There is so much skill on show and there are one or two good points beside the nonsense. The requirement to have an extra fielder in the ring if you don't bowl your balls before the cut off time will surely be copied.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    edited August 2022
    ping said:

“We believe in freedom of speech, but we didn’t like what he said”

Can’t imagine comedians queuing up to book that venue next year.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Yes 8/1
    No 1/9
    With devomax, quite probably
  • Options
    Betfair next prime minister
    1.11 Liz Truss 90%
    9.8 Rishi Sunak 10%

Next Conservative leader
    1.11 Liz Truss 90%
    9.6 Rishi Sunak 10%
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ping said:

Did they say that with a straight face? And without realising the irony of what they said?

Fair enough to say they wouldn't book him because they don't approve of his act, but they can't then say they don't censor material. The two are mutually exclusive.
    This is Scotland @ydoethur . Saying that sort of thing with a straight face is the easy stuff.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

I'm actually warming to the hundred. There is so much skill on show and there are one or two good points beside the nonsense. The requirement to have an extra fielder in the ring if you don't bowl your balls before the cut off time will surely be copied.
    It was in the T20 at the commonwealth
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,174
    DavidL said:

I think debating with Sunak has definitely toughened Truss up and made her faster on her feet. Whether that is enough given the choices she has to make and the inheritence that she is receiving remains to be seen.

No she hasn't debated with Sunak. He has told it like it is while she has talked fantasy bollocks.

Maybe it'll work at the GE too.
  • Options
    Effing LOL, always love a dig at the Welsh.

On Friday night, Sir Robert Buckland, the Welsh secretary who was Raab’s predecessor as justice secretary, switched sides from Sunak to Truss, in the apparent hope that he can return to the Ministry of Justice.....

....MPs who saw Buckland’s defection more cynically were yesterday sharing a quote from A Man For All Seasons, the play and film about another former lord chancellor, Sir Thomas More: “It profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?”
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Yes 8/1
    No 1/9
    As @Eabhal asked on the previous thread:

- “What is devomax? What currently reserved powers would be devolved?”

Your lack of answer did not go unnoticed.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Yes 8/1
    No 1/9
    Pretty good odds since the Union of the Crowns went past 400 years nearly 20 years ago.
  • Options

On Friday night, Sir Robert Buckland, the Welsh secretary who was Raab’s predecessor as justice secretary, switched sides from Sunak to Truss, in the apparent hope that he can return to the Ministry of Justice.....

....MPs who saw Buckland’s defection more cynically were yesterday sharing a quote from A Man For All Seasons, the play and film about another former lord chancellor, Sir Thomas More: “It profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?”

Somebody was bound to loose a Bolt at him.
  • Options
    Starmer is sidelining Reeves to present the super exciting fully costed macguffin on Monday.
    I hope its better than Thursdays 'compensate the energy companies' bollox
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited August 2022

He has done exactly the same thing in completely ditching the manifesto on which he was elected as Labour leader. And yet he presented himself as the honest alternative to Johnson, who, NI rise aside, has actually done most of what he said he would do in 2019.

He is a serial fraud and liar almost on the Blair scale though fortunately without fraction of his charisma
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

You need to be careful. You'll be taking your pizza with pineapple next.
  • Options
    ping said:

The height of absurdity. The director is tangling himself in impossibly illogical knots. You can’t be both pro-free speech and then engage in cancel culture.

He should have said “free speech has limits” or been brutally honest and said “I don’t agree with this, but we’re scared of the thugs” or even more honest, “this is a commercial decision”

No idea what this is about, but belief in freedom of speech does not mean that the free speaker has an untrammelled right to utilise the editorial pages of the Times, the Albert Hall, Penguin Books or my kitchen to express them. Venues in general are like publishers. They can be editors if they want to be.

• Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,167

Rushing to the aid of the Victor, as John Rentoul called it the other week when quoting someone.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

He has done exactly the same thing in completely ditching the manifesto on which he was elected as Labour leader. And yet he presented himself as the honest alternative to Johnson, who, NI rise aside, has actually done most of what he said he would do in 2019.

He is a serial fraud and liar.
    I never knew BJO was so good at hacking accounts.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Yes 8/1
    No 1/9
    Pretty good odds since the Union of the Crowns went past 400 years nearly 20 years ago.
    A misnomer. The crowns were not united. It was a personal union, with the monarchs ruling three kingdoms: England, Ireland and Scotland (and other bits n bobs). The legislatures and privy councils (governments) remained separate.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Yes 8/1
    No 1/9

It is not for me to answer, it is a PM Starmer and Gordon Brown who would implement it
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Yes 8/1
    No 1/9
    A misnomer. The crowns were not united. It was a personal union, with the monarchs ruling three kingdoms: England, Ireland and Scotland (and other bits n bobs). The legislatures and privy councils (governments) remained separate.
    Although James VI and I insisted on being called 'King of Great Britain.'

(Well, to be strictly accurate, 'King of Great Britain, Ireland and France.')
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Yes 8/1
    No 1/9

It is not for me to answer, it is a PM Starmer and Gordon Brown who would implement it
    Gordon Brown?!? When did he become leader of the Labour Party again?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ping said:

I don't know, their unintentional comedic point is pretty funny, so I think it is entirely sincere that they cannot see it.

I think people are very good at holding irreconcilable opinions at the same time. I imagine they get around this one by insisting they don't censor acts that take place, they just don't host acts they don't like the content of, obviating the need to censor in the first place - the material exists uncensored, but unseen.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

ping said:

I don't know, their unintentional comedic point is pretty funny, so I think it is entirely sincere that they cannot see it.

I think people are very good at holding irreconcilable opinions at the same time. I imagine they get around this one by insisting they don't censor acts that take place, they just don't host acts they don't like the content of, obviating the need to censor in the first place - the material exists uncensored, but unseen.
    They are artists.

'An artist is someone who can hold two opposing viewpoints and still remain fully functional.' Scott Fitzgerald.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Yes 8/1
    No 1/9

Monarchs down the ages have talked a lot of shite.

Eg the Nordic warlord Æthelstan minted coins saying ‘Rex totius Britanniae’.
    Nice try, but no coconuts.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Yes 8/1
    No 1/9

Starmer has made clear as PM he would put Gordon Brown in charge of a programme of further devolution
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

ping said:

“We believe in freedom of speech, but we didn’t like what he said”

Can’t imagine comedians queuing up to book that venue next year.
    There are a lot more aspiring comedians than there are shows and venues to host them all, I doubt they will have trouble finding people, some of whom may even still be good. That's why venues can be discerning I suppose - the claim of not censoring whilst judging his content is just rubbing salt into the wound to him.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Yes 8/1
    No 1/9

Is that like, 'King of the World'?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Yes 8/1
    No 1/9
    If Scotland wanted to go its own way it missed the big chance to de-Union the crowns in 1688 and thereafter. Just as it missed the big chance of the modern equivalent in 2014.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Fishing said:

He is a serial fraud and liar almost on the Blair scale though fortunately without fraction of his charisma
    Your anger on behalf of the Left at those ditched socialist promises is palpable and SO appreciated.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,900
    edited August 2022
    algarkirk said:

ping said:

No idea what this is about, but belief in freedom of speech does not mean that the free speaker has an untrammelled right to utilise the editorial pages of the Times, the Albert Hall, Penguin Books or my kitchen to express them. Venues in general are like publishers. They can be editors if they want to be.

Well of course. The point is the guy is talking in circles - have some honesty and don't claim you don't censor. Indeed, targeted censorship is fine as long as it isn't the government doing it - PB as a forum wouldn't survive without it.

A different point - this is the fringe. The idea is that stuff the Edinburgh establishment doesn't like is still put on. You should see the kind of stuff that goes on in some of the the late night shows...

The obvious reaction, if acts can't find any support, is an alternative. The side-parting? The bangs? I heard a rumour that he is going do the show stood on a box in the Meadows.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    algarkirk said:

ping said:

I used to think that. But the reality is the thugs now go from venue to venue, private and public, online and IRL, hounding out people with comedy/views they’re offended by. “No platforming” is now far more total than it ever was in the past.

The best bit of my post was actually very subtle. It was the fact that the BBC journo/editor murdered the guy with his own words. They could have (and indeed, in the past, would have) helpfully edited out the glaring contradiction in his quote.

They didn’t. I recon it’s deliberate. The BBC, or at least some within the BBC, have had it with cancel culture.

Hum it quietly; oh the times, they are a’changing.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Yes 8/1
    No 1/9
    LOL. The controlling power of all 3 countries was vested in the same individual. As they have been for the last 420 years. Given the power of the Monarch was so much greater then (pre Civil war) and Parliament so much weaker (especially in Scotland) I would call that a Union.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Yes 8/1
    No 1/9
    Legislatures were separate, but Legislatures are not "Crowns".
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    algarkirk said:

ping said:

Certainly they can, but it is pretty weird to emphasise your free speech credentials at the same time as deciding you don't wish to host that particular bit of speech. If they want to lean more on the 'must align with our values' side of things that is fine, but it comes across as schizophrenic (or as Eabhal notes, dishonest) to highlight the 'we do not censor' whilst making an editorial call.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Yes 8/1
    No 1/9

Starmer has made clear as PM he would put Gordon Brown in charge of a programme of further devolution
    One for the PB Tories and Stuart.

" Dumb and Dumber"
  • Options
    Opinium new Conservative members poll

Truss 61%
    Sunak 39%

Closer than Johnson v Hunt or
    Cameron v Davis but still about the same margin IDS beat Clarke in 2001

https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1558528835976663041?s=20&t=45CVDfYNISmriOGAjG6bVg
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Yes 8/1
    No 1/9
    LOL. The controlling power of all 3 countries was vested in the same individual. As they have been for the last 420 years. Given the power of the Monarch was so much greater then (pre Civil war) and Parliament so much weaker (especially in Scotland) I would call that a Union.
    It clearly was. I don't dispute the initial premise of counting from the fuller Union, but the offering of odds should simply have been more specific on PedantBetting.com.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

ping said:

They are artists.

'An artist is someone who can hold two opposing viewpoints and still remain fully functional.' Scott Fitzgerald.
    So what happened to @Leon ? Did he go for 3?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    GB News giving time to Trump Cultists this evening:

GB News
    @GBNEWS
    ·
    41m
    'This is another example of the apparatus of the state being used to punish or criminalise a political opponent.'

Republicans Overseas UK Chairman Greg Swenson reacts to Trump's home being raided by the FBI.

https://twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1558519317754413056
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Truss 61%
    Sunak 39%

https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1558528835976663041?s=20&t=45CVDfYNISmriOGAjG6bVg

Truss leads by 40% amongst Tory members over 65. Sunak leads by 8% amongst Tory members under 50

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1558530443288498177?s=20&t=1ljWFy1avDbRjIU1cPqKzQ
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Truss 61%
    Sunak 39%

If it's anything like accurate, and the number who have already voted is accurate, this is over. Sunak should bow out to get Johnson gone ASAP and stop the blue on blue warfare. Sunak lay at 9.8 on Smarkets is tremendous value unless Truss walks out in front of a bus.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Yes 8/1
    No 1/9

1) Aethelstan was Saxon not Nordic
    2) As he defeated the Scottish and Danish army at Brunanburh and forced them to acknowledge him as overlord, having already received the homage of the leading Welsh princes five years earlier, it seems a fair enough title.

His death two years later saw his hegemony disintegrate, but that doesn't mean it didn't exist.
    Yes, grandiose in its claim no doubt, but if formal homage is received by the rulers of the day its not exactly on the level of claiming the crown of France centuries after it was even close to being a realistic pretension.

I mean, what did it really mean other than claiming he was the biggest deal in the islands? And that seems true.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ping said:

I believe in free speech but I'd kick someone out of my house if they pissed me off by being a total dick. Fact I've done that. Felt terrible the next day though. You only have one dad.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    I must be getting used to the heat. 27degC in our living room feels positively cool!
  • Options

GB News giving time to Trump Cultists this evening:

GB News
    @GBNEWS
    ·
    41m
    'This is another example of the apparatus of the state being used to punish or criminalise a political opponent.'

Republicans Overseas UK Chairman Greg Swenson reacts to Trump's home being raided by the FBI.

https://twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1558519317754413056

How can that be?

When I last watched Dan Wooton the tagline was "no spin, no bias".
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Truss 61%
    Sunak 39%

If it's anything like accurate, and the number who have already voted is accurate, this is over. Sunak should bow out to get Johnson gone ASAP and stop the blue on blue warfare. Sunak lay at 9.8 on Smarkets is tremendous value unless Truss walks out in front of a bus.
    No Tory members vote has been close. We're only 3 weeks from the scheduled end, it's too late to pull out.

He doesn't seem the type to accept a lesser post after holding a Great Office, so he's probably resigned to not being in the Truss Cabinet anyway, so no harm in pushing her all the way.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Truss 61%
    Sunak 39%

It looks over. Though 68% of Tory members would still prefer Johnson to be PM than Sunak and 63% would still prefer Johnson to be PM than Truss

https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1558530954033086464?s=20&t=F4bdca9q3ABXDGw68dPsRw
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,900

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Yes 8/1
    No 1/9

One for the PB Tories and Stuart.

" Dumb and Dumber"
    Just going through the list of stuff that could get devolved while retaining a sensible Union (aka devomax), I reckon:

Universal Credit (etc)
    Illegal drugs
    Betting (eeek)
    Experimenting on animals
    Possibly some more energy stuff? tricky
    Equalities
    All income taxes (though income tax is largely devolved now)

That's it really. Anything further would be unworkable, imo.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,445

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Yes 8/1
    No 1/9

Some unusual interpretations going on kn that second sentence.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,610
    Interesting that punters make it a 49.5% chance that the Tories will win an overall majority.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

What's the difference between a triangle and Man Utd?
    I wouldn't overeact. Man U had 15 shots and De Gea gifted the 1st 2 goals. And it's VERY early days in the season.

I might have a nibble for Top 4 if the price has gone stupid.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,377
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

ping said:

When I was at university, a friend was mucking around with neural nets - this was the 90s and the GPU stuff for that came much later.

His chosen thing was processing ancient texts - they have been copied and modified many times. Everything we have from the ancient Greeks, for example, has been copied many times and often hacked and modified. Often we don't know who the author or authors were. We have a number of different versions, often, as well.

What his software was doing was learning to identify style patterns by authors. Many texts were actually written by multiple authors. He trained it on known examples and then set it loose on various other texts.

The university authorities woke up (ha) and pulled him in for an interview without coffee - nearly an interview without chair. They told him that if he ran his software against several quite old texts - one in particular got some emphasis, he would be thrown off his PhD and if he even tried to complain they would tar his name in public.

The funny bit was that they dressed this up with a big speech about freedom of expression, compassion, understanding and being a Good Egg in general.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Truss 61%
    Sunak 39%

Truss leads by 40% amongst Tory members over 65. Sunak leads by 8% amongst Tory members under 50

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1558530443288498177?s=20&t=1ljWFy1avDbRjIU1cPqKzQ
    I'm reminded of a line used by William Hague in 1977,

"Half of you may not be here in 30 or 40 years' time, but I will be and I want to be free..."

Replace "free" by "electable".
  • Options

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

ping said:

When I was at university, a friend was mucking around with neural nets - this was the 90s and the GPU stuff for that came much later.

His chosen thing was processing ancient texts - they have been copied and modified many times. Everything we have from the ancient Greeks, for example, has been copied many times and often hacked and modified. Often we don't know who the author or authors were. We have a number of different versions, often, as well.

What his software was doing was learning to identify style patterns by authors. Many texts were actually written by multiple authors. He trained it on known examples and then set it loose on various other texts.

The university authorities woke up (ha) and pulled him in for an interview without coffee - nearly an interview without chair. They told him that if he ran his software against several quite old texts - one in particular got some emphasis, he would be thrown off his PhD and if he even tried to complain they would tar his name in public.

The funny bit was that they dressed this up with a big speech about freedom of expression, compassion, understanding and being a Good Egg in general.
    Blimey, what were they so concerned about? Questionable authorship seems to be generally accepted of a lot of things.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Truss 61%
    Sunak 39%

No Tory members vote has been close. We're only 3 weeks from the scheduled end, it's too late to pull out.

He doesn't seem the type to accept a lesser post after holding a Great Office, so he's probably resigned to not being in the Truss Cabinet anyway, so no harm in pushing her all the way.
    I recall that in his resignation letter to Bozo, Sunak said that being Chancellor was likely to have been his last job in government.
This discussion has been closed.