Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Trump down in the WH2024 betting after the Mar-a Lago raid – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,887
    moonshine said:

Leon said:

What even is that UFO photo?

I've looked at this case and my suspicion is that most people in the story are telling the truth - as they see it. ie this is a real photo of something genuinely odd in the Scottish sky. It's not "a reflection in a loch" or a "kite"

But WTF it is, I have no idea. Black tech?

It’s less compelling than the US navy cases, where there is released telemetry, visual and infra red video, and multi point eye witness testimony of the same events from pilots, co-pilots
    and ship based radar operators.

This photo could conceivably be a UK-US stealth project of some kind. The 100ft description being the result of perspective shift of something much smaller. And yet, one has to consider it in the round of other evidence emerging around the world and the odd behaviour of many senior officials.

The story of this leak goes that the retired MoD press person had a copy and gave it to the Uni of Hallam. Maybe.

I no longer think the US Executive is engaging in a slow Disclosure process as the Biden govt has been fairly obstructive. If there’s anything coordinated it’s coming from deep state instead, if that kind of thing is your bag.

I remain convinced that James Webb ST has rattled someone somewhere. They know what it’s likely to show in a relatively short period of time.
    LOL.
    In the somewhat (massively) unlikely event if that being true, why would that rattle anyone ?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,603

Leon said:

I've looked at this case and my suspicion is that most people in the story are telling the truth - as they see it. ie this is a real photo of something genuinely odd in the Scottish sky. It's not "a reflection in a loch" or a "kite"

Did you read the Mail's headline?

Revealed after 32 years: The 'most spectacular UFO photo ever captured' - or the first glimpse of America's fabled top-secret Aurora spy plane program?
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11106737/Most-spectacular-UFO-photo-captured-glimpse-secret-Aurora-spy-plane-program.html
    I'm absolutely willing to believe it is US military tech. that explains many things (eg the secrecy)

However it is quite a reach to believe that in 1990 the US was able to build large-ish aircraft which can hang motionless in the air, emitting no sound, which can then whizz off at extraordinary speed

Quite a puzzle. Debunker General Mick West is saying it is a kite
  • Options
    Reports this week suggested the FBI had an informant among Trump’s staff or family who tipped off the agency about the material in the store room.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/attorney-general-calls-trumps-bluff-over-mar-a-lago-raid-with-move-to-unseal-search-warrant-l225k63zt
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,438
    pigeon said:

Tomorrow it'll be 12°C in Reykjavik.

I wonder how difficult it is to learn Icelandic?

EDIT: this, of course, is hyperbole. There's no necessity to depart to the Arctic Circle to seek refuge from this endless, baking hot, shit Summer. Kirkwall (16°C) would be quite sufficient.

It was warmer than that when I was in Iceland last month.

• Options

Leon said:

Revealed after 32 years: The 'most spectacular UFO photo ever captured' - or the first glimpse of America's fabled top-secret Aurora spy plane program?
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11106737/Most-spectacular-UFO-photo-captured-glimpse-secret-Aurora-spy-plane-program.html
    That is a deeply unspectacular photo.
    Could be literally anything, including an oddly shaped frisbee.
  • Options
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    One odd thing with that warrant is that law enforcement was only allowed to execute it between 6am and 10pm.

If we’re talking nuclear secrets here, then surely 24 hour search would have been justified?
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Haha fucking hell, fox news have broadcast a doctored image of the search warrant judge in a private jet with Ghislaine Maxwell.

No lawyer but I imagine that is quite a silly thing to do.

Murdoch must have deep pockets.
    They will just claim it was obvious satire, and therefore protected speech.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,079

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Not a bad report on the legal arguments which might ensue were the authorities to prosecute Trump.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-allies-say-declassified-mar-lago-documents-experts-say-unclear-w-rcna42311

Classic example in there of the view that the President should have unfettered ability to make decisions on sensitive matters and not even have to tell anyone, no formal process required at all.

Checks and balances, and limitations on executive power, is so 18th century, they definitely wanted a President to be able to rule by fiat whenever they want I am sure.
    Such an assertion is, of course, absurd on its face.
    It would allow any ex President to claim, years after leaving office, that all US records in existence up until the end of his term are all of a sudden declassified.
    Because he decided so a decade ago, and just waited a while to tell anyone.
    He will surely be able to produce witnesses to testify he said it was declassified whilst President. He would need to convince only one or two jurors.

The Republican party should, of course, use this as an opportunity to get rid, but they are too frit and cucked to even try.
    Again, absurd. He could claim that for the entirety of federal records up until the end of his term on that basis.

Presidents have an unfettered power* to declassify - but there’s a process, and if the decision isn’t recorded, then logic, and very likely the law, says it didn’t happen.

* Except if there are nuclear secrets in there - Presidents can’t declassify those on their own.

Note also that there are a couple of statutes which don’t require the documents to be classified at all for a crime to have been committed.
    Sure it is absurd. If one is interested in whether he is guilty or not it would be quite surprising if he has any good defence. If one is interested in whether he will be found guilty or not, he is quite capable of finding people to believe the absurd.
    I'm sure he can rustle up a document that claims he did it formally at the time, whether or not he did.

As things stand it seems far from clear it'll even get to charges.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,756
    Leon said:

Leon said:

I'm absolutely willing to believe it is US military tech. that explains many things (eg the secrecy)

However it is quite a reach to believe that in 1990 the US was able to build large-ish aircraft which can hang motionless in the air, emitting no sound, which can then whizz off at extraordinary speed

A kite? Makes a change from a weather balloon.
  • Options
    MPartridgeMPartridge Posts: 157
    Rushdie has now been in surgery for close to four hours....

Doesn't look good does it?
  • Options

Reports this week suggested the FBI had an informant among Trump’s staff or family who tipped off the agency about the material in the store room.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/attorney-general-calls-trumps-bluff-over-mar-a-lago-raid-with-move-to-unseal-search-warrant-l225k63zt

Oh please let it be a family member, that would be hilarious.

Though his kids and their families all seem very loyal.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,028

The only useful function that Trump performs is to make the Tory leadership candidates seem intelligent.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,255
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Rushdie news not great. Assailant fits the bill

Stabbed "multiple times" - apparently. Who knows

Not great but he always knew he was taking a huge risk in terms of the reaction amongst hardline Muslims when he wrote the Satanic Verses
    Victim blaming. Much like the reaction of some Tories and Labour politicians at the time of the original fatwa.

Dishonourable and cowardly then. Dishonourable and cowardly now.
    You can have a free, liberal society or a fully multicutultural one, including lots of hardline Muslims.

You cannot have both or they will conflict, that is just the reality left liberals need to face. Either you preserve a free, liberal society and tighten immigration controls to filter out extremists or you have open door immigration but with restraint needed on free speech or you get conflict
    I think you can as long on the extremists don't go around stabbing people.

This is largely the case in the UK. We just need to crack down on anyone who wants to impose their views on others outwith the democratic system, by violence or otherwise.
    It's also a strange theory, that extremism can be controlled by controlling immigration.
    Why? Countries with zero Muslim immigrants suffer zero Muslim terrorism. Or racist pedophile Muslim gangrape. See Japan
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitoshi_Igarashi
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Nigelb said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

It’s less compelling than the US navy cases, where there is released telemetry, visual and infra red video, and multi point eye witness testimony of the same events from pilots, co-pilots

This photo could conceivably be a UK-US stealth project of some kind. The 100ft description being the result of perspective shift of something much smaller. And yet, one has to consider it in the round of other evidence emerging around the world and the odd behaviour of many senior officials.

The story of this leak goes that the retired MoD press person had a copy and gave it to the Uni of Hallam. Maybe.

I no longer think the US Executive is engaging in a slow Disclosure process as the Biden govt has been fairly obstructive. If there’s anything coordinated it’s coming from deep state instead, if that kind of thing is your bag.

I remain convinced that James Webb ST has rattled someone somewhere. They know what it’s likely to show in a relatively short period of time.
    LOL.
    In the somewhat (massively) unlikely event if that being true, why would that rattle anyone ?
    Well, it can look at solar system objects, so if there's a Thargian hypership hiding in the kuiper belt that the White House has been in regular contact with for 50 years that might be a bit awks
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

LOL.
    Well, it can look at solar system objects, so if there's a Thargian hypership hiding in the kuiper belt that the White House has been in regular contact with for 50 years that might be a bit awks
    The White House couldn't tip them off about where it was going to be looking? Damn inefficient Biden.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,187
    edited August 2022
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Not great but he always knew he was taking a huge risk in terms of the reaction amongst hardline Muslims when he wrote the Satanic Verses
    Victim blaming. Much like the reaction of some Tories and Labour politicians at the time of the original fatwa.

You can have a free, liberal society or a fully multicutultural one, including lots of hardline Muslims.

You cannot have both or they will conflict, that is just the reality left liberals need to face. Either you preserve a free, liberal society and tighten immigration controls to filter out extremists or you have open door immigration but with restraint needed on free speech or you get conflict

This is largely the case in the UK. We just need to crack down on anyone who wants to impose their views on others outwith the democratic system, by violence or otherwise.
    It's also a strange theory, that extremism can be controlled by controlling immigration.
    Why? Countries with zero Muslim immigrants suffer zero Muslim terrorism. Or racist pedophile Muslim gangrape. See Japan
    We have lots of muslims already here, millions, zero immigration from anywhere would not change that and I'd hope we'd all agree any problem of internal extremism would not best be served by deporting 3 million citizens.
    Point me to the bit of my post where I even mentioned "deportation". Or go to the w3w square ///stupid.strawman,bollocks
    Point me to the bit of my post where I claimed you mentioned deportation.

I didn't, in fact the point was no one had, so calm the heck down.

You made a comparison with Japan, which google claims has a couple hundred thousand muslims, so assuming a small proportion are extremists halting all immigration might well have an effect in halting extremism growth. All I did was point out that is not the case here because there are millions, and no one has proposed anything to reduce that number, nor should they. Accordingly it is incredibly dumb to think halting immigration from anywhere would, in itself, eliminate muslim terrorism or gangs in this country, because many examples of both have been from people who are not immigrants.
    If you don't have any Muslims you don't have any Muslim terrorism. That is my only point, to support the narrow argument @HYUFD was making

Because he is right. If you want a multicultural multiracial society, you will import a lot of good stuff AND a lot of bad stuff. That is simply the case. We live in a plural society so we get a vigorous culture with hybrid energy - it's bloody great for music - but we will also get nasty shit. Islamist terror and odious Muslim misogyny are part of the bad shit, as it relates to Muslims. People who preach for multiculturalism need to acknowledge this, and they will get more respect for their honesty. There are benefits and drawbacks

And this OF COURSE goes both ways. What did the British/English bring to Ireland? Prosperity, orderly cities, Georgian architecture, imperial trade. We also imposed quasi-racist laws, divided their society, and perhaps Facilitated the Famine (we certainly did scandalously little to alleviate it). So it is up to the Irish to decide if we were "good" or "bad": for them
    Plus of course the Japanese will ensure those Muslims that do manage to get through their rigorous border controls conform to Japanese culture and values. They will have had extensive background checks before being allowed into Japan
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Or you could read the professional photo prof analysis

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tWMZ232qgDE6Tru7jwgG-nsqoeQZpIm3/view
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,873
    edited August 2022
    ping said:

https://www.ft.com/content/7c3c79db-cf9e-4f83-b730-92d516a9bf6a

“ UK’s debt and welfare payments bill set to soar by more than £50bn

Forecast of extra annual costs will be fiscal dilemma for next prime minister juggling tax and spending”

So cancel most of the energy price cap rises, keep inflation and debt and welfare payments much lower, and pay the energy suppliers directly with the proceeds of windfall taxes on the energy extractors.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

But not zero terrorism - as recent events in Japan make pretty obvious.
    Silly argument.
    The Japanese had 1 attack on someone with a personal vendetta against the ex PM.

Generally however Japan has a lower crime rate than the rest of the West
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,984
    edited August 2022
    moonshine said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Haha, I knew that would wind you up. The more I look at it, the more I'm convinced it's a fake based on something reflecting in liquid. The shadow looks wrong to me.

You’re not engaging your brain if you think this. Why would the photos have been impounded and classified for almost a century if it was an obvious fake and military records of that day showed as much.

It’s either black tech or non human.

I very briefly engaged my brain and considered that in all the walking I have done near Calvine I have not once - not even once - seen a UFO. A few eagles, mind.

I next considered the surrounding area. There is a civvy rifle range in Glen Tilt, but... aha! Schiehallion, a nearby mountain (and visible in one of the Mail's photos), was used for The Schiehallion experiment (yes, you may use that as a novel title).

This was an 18th century attempt to find the density of dear Planet Earth. Yup - and they got damn close (your correspondent re-visited this experiment during Advanced Higher Physics).

But why would our visitors be interested in the density of our planet, our home? All that would prove is that the middle of the earth is full of metals... HOLY SHIT. Have you ever seen Avatar?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,445
    Bollocks to all that can sometimes please solve a conundrum for me.

I am arranging the apps on my new phone (Redmi Note 10 Pro if you're asking) and have created several app folders.

Do I put BBC iPlayer in the "watch" folder (Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc) or in the BBC folder (Sport, Weather, Sounds).

And do I put BBC Sounds in the podcast folder.

Then all that's left in the BBC folder is the Weather ffs.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

A kite? Makes a change from a weather balloon.
    To be fair, he is now backtracking

Mick West is a decent dude. I respect him, even if he can be irritating. He's honest, polite, clever, forensic. It will be very interesting to see if he can debunk this. If he cannot, that is quite something
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,867

ping said:

Forecast of extra annual costs will be fiscal dilemma for next prime minister juggling tax and spending”

So cancel most of the energy price cap rises, keep inflation and debt and welfare payments much lower, and pay the energy suppliers directly with the proceeds of windfall taxes on the energy extractors.
    It's so obvious isn't it. God alone knows why the government cannot see it.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,375
    In the latest Bullfinch Presidential poll (Aug 4-8), I see McConnaughy scoring 15% of the vote. This is the actor who condemned gun violence, Might he actually run? Worth one of Mike's famous long shot bets?

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/
    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/celebrity/matthew-mcconaughey-for-president-hes-achieved-what-no-american-politician-has-in-decades/ar-AAYejhm
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,385

It's a bit pathetic, and largely explained by me consulting a bottle of wine on a Friday night, but I've just watched Dunkirk again and it's reduced me to floods of tears. I know I have embarrassed my wife and mother-in-law by so doing, but I think the film sort of represents the country we are. And it makes me proud.

We are a good people. A very good people. And I am proud - so proud.

PB on a Friday night. You can't beat it.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,463
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I remember XP-1 film.

God I feel old.
  • Options
    'Robert Buckland, Secretary of State for Wales, has switched his support from Rishi to Liz. First Cabinet Minister to switch.'
    https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1558198458577784832?s=20&t=y2tp4Qpz5fZqB2ffuAPWSw
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Not a bad report on the legal arguments which might ensue were the authorities to prosecute Trump.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-allies-say-declassified-mar-lago-documents-experts-say-unclear-w-rcna42311

Classic example in there of the view that the President should have unfettered ability to make decisions on sensitive matters and not even have to tell anyone, no formal process required at all.

Checks and balances, and limitations on executive power, is so 18th century, they definitely wanted a President to be able to rule by fiat whenever they want I am sure.
    Such an assertion is, of course, absurd on its face.
    It would allow any ex President to claim, years after leaving office, that all US records in existence up until the end of his term are all of a sudden declassified.
    Because he decided so a decade ago, and just waited a while to tell anyone.
    He will surely be able to produce witnesses to testify he said it was declassified whilst President. He would need to convince only one or two jurors.

The Republican party should, of course, use this as an opportunity to get rid, but they are too frit and cucked to even try.
    Again, absurd. He could claim that for the entirety of federal records up until the end of his term on that basis.

Presidents have an unfettered power* to declassify - but there’s a process, and if the decision isn’t recorded, then logic, and very likely the law, says it didn’t happen.

* Except if there are nuclear secrets in there - Presidents can’t declassify those on their own.

Note also that there are a couple of statutes which don’t require the documents to be classified at all for a crime to have been committed.
    Sure it is absurd. If one is interested in whether he is guilty or not it would be quite surprising if he has any good defence. If one is interested in whether he will be found guilty or not, he is quite capable of finding people to believe the absurd.
    That’s assuming he’ll be charged; that’s not certain at all.
    I think this was equally likely about recovering the documents and preventing further damage.
  • Options

ping said:

Various possibilities.
    1. Their personal shareholdings.
    2. Misplaced ideology.
    3. They’re thick.
    4. They don’t want to do anything that would look like a socialist policy.
    5. If poor people die, it will reduce welfare spending.

Or it could be a combination of the above.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,733
    edited August 2022
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-62503903

Very sad.

I don’t think that is an acceptable sentence. If we’re going to allow people to get off from any form of meaningful punishment using that legal argument, then the law must change.

The family have set up a campaign;

https://www.louisthorold.com/about

“RETEST ALL DRIVERS AT 70

Ensure Drivers are safe to drive by instigating a:

Retest at 70 and then every 3 years
    Annual eye test from 70
    Annual hearing test
    Annual Perception test
    Annual reaction time test

The driver who caused Louis’s death was an elderly woman in her 70s who shouldn't have been driving.”

I agree with this.

Come on Britain. We can do better.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

'Robert Buckland, Secretary of State for Wales, has switched his support from Rishi to Liz. First Cabinet Minister to switch.'
    https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1558198458577784832?s=20&t=y2tp4Qpz5fZqB2ffuAPWSw

Feels pretty significant. Nothing seems to be going his way.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

See how the chickens run.
  • Options
    ping said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-62503903

Very sad.

I don’t think that is an acceptable sentence. If we’re going to allow people to get off from any form of meaningful punishment using that legal argument, then the law must change.

The family have set up a campaign;

https://www.louisthorold.com/about

“RETEST ALL DRIVERS AT 70

Ensure Drivers are safe to drive by instigating a:

Retest at 70 and then every 3 years
    Annual eye test from 70
    Annual hearing test
    Annual Perception test
    Annual reaction time test

The driver who caused Louis’s death was an elderly woman in her 70s who shouldn't have been driving.”

I agree with this.

Come on Britain. We can do better.

Honestly I think everyone should be retested, perhaps every 5 or 10 years. I'm not certain I'd pass.

And those at an age where deterioration can be fairly rapid should definitely have those sorts of annual test.
  • Options

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I remember XP-1 film.

God I feel old.
    Have you read the analysis? Suggests the photo is real, and shows a real UFO. It *could* be a fake but you have to stretch reality quite far to see how you fake all this - and over decades, and with credible eye witness stories to boot

Eesh. Definitely a puzzle. The Mail concludes it is black US tech. But how come this tech has never been seen/snapped anywhere else in the intervening 30 years?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Are you contemplating switching, or are you just wishing you had been given a better choice of candidates?
  • Options

ping said:

Various possibilities.
    2. Misplaced ideology.
    3. They’re thick.

I really don't think 5 is a thing. Politics is full of people trying to do the right thing by the public, either because they believe in it or because that's how you gain and keep power, and they are just confused and uncertain about how to do that.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,899

HYUFD said:

I suppose there's a joke there about this being the first time the rats have rushed on to the sinking ship but I can't think of it.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Which says that it’s quite likely a picture of something in front of the camera.
    Spectacular.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,035

👍 Watford top of the league! 👍

In prime position to get relegated next year.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

It's a bit pathetic, and largely explained by me consulting a bottle of wine on a Friday night, but I've just watched Dunkirk again and it's reduced me to floods of tears. I know I have embarrassed my wife and mother-in-law by so doing, but I think the film sort of represents the country we are. And it makes me proud.

Was it Harry Styles who tipped you over?

Actually Dunkirk is fantastic or rather the soundtrack is. It is likely what brought on the tears. It induces a persistent, pervasive feeling of dread it continues throughout the film and richly deserved its Oscar
    Styles puts in a solid shift there imo.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ping said:

Various possibilities.
    2. Misplaced ideology.
    3. They’re thick.

I really don't think 5 is a thing. Politics is full of people trying to do the right thing by the public, either because they believe in it or because that's how you gain and keep power, and they are just confused and uncertain about how to do that.
    I don’t think it is either. If it was, Covid policy would have been different.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    TOPPING said:

I am arranging the apps on my new phone (Redmi Note 10 Pro if you're asking) and have created several app folders.

Do I put BBC iPlayer in the "watch" folder (Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc) or in the BBC folder (Sport, Weather, Sounds).

I player in watch sounds in podcasts ditch BBC folder and have weather on the top level OR rebrand bbc as weather folder and put met office netweather.tv and windy in there too. And a tide table.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

No reason to mock honest emotion.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,062
    A President apparently cannot declassify documents related to nuclear weapons so if any of the documents are related to that he can’t use that defence .
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

I don't even understand the question. Feel so old.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,062

HYUFD said:

All these people switching support are hardly a vote of confidence in Truss just a desperate attempt to save their cabinet jobs. It’s pretty unedifying .
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Sean can give Casino the three words which identify his favourite magic mushroom patch and they can blubber the night away in flag shagging comradeship.
  • Options

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I remember XP-1 film.

God I feel old.
    Ha snap! Just posted same regarding Topping's high tech query.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,882
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

We have lots of muslims already here, millions, zero immigration from anywhere would not change that and I'd hope we'd all agree any problem of internal extremism would not best be served by deporting 3 million citizens.
    Point me to the bit of my post where I even mentioned "deportation". Or go to the w3w square ///stupid.strawman,bollocks

You made a comparison with Japan, which google claims has a couple hundred thousand muslims, so assuming a small proportion are extremists halting all immigration might well have an effect in halting extremism growth. All I did was point out that is not the case here because there are millions, and no one has proposed anything to reduce that number, nor should they. Accordingly it is incredibly dumb to think halting immigration from anywhere would, in itself, eliminate muslim terrorism or gangs in this country, because many examples of both have been from people who are not immigrants.
    Ah, Japan. A wonderful country. And the only country where a terrorist group has used nerve gas, with the attack on the underground in 1995 and one the previous year in Nagano. The group behind that, Aum Shinrikyo, remain active. One of their members drove his car into pedestrians in 2019, injuring 9, although fortunately no deaths.

Before them, there was the Japanese Red Army, who were active from the seventies until the early 2000s. Less organised, but there was the 2000 Neomugicha bus hijacking, that left one dead and two injured, or the 1999 airline hijacking that also left one dead.

It's almost as if people of all colours and creeds, immigrants or born locally, can commit horrific acts.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,248
    IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

I player in watch sounds in podcasts ditch BBC folder and have weather on the top level OR rebrand bbc as weather folder and put met office netweather.tv and windy in there too. And a tide table.
    Put the app in one folder, and a web link shortcut to the iplayer website in the other. The app will intercept the URL and open anyway. At least, this would work on iOS. Android no idea.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Which says that it’s quite likely a picture of something in front of the camera.
    Spectacular.
    It says a bit more than that. You are so dim wittedly autistic
  • Options

kle4 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Ah, Japan. A wonderful country. And the only country where a terrorist group has used nerve gas, with the attack on the underground in 1995 and one the previous year in Nagano. The group behind that, Aum Shinrikyo, remain active. One of their members drove his car into pedestrians in 2019, injuring 9, although fortunately no deaths.

Before them, there was the Japanese Red Army, who were active from the seventies until the early 2000s. Less organised, but there was the 2000 Neomugicha bus hijacking, that left one dead and two injured, or the 1999 airline hijacking that also left one dead.

It's almost as if people of all colours and creeds, immigrants or born locally, can commit horrific acts.
    There are horrible people of all races, nationalities and religions. At least we don’t have Japanese cuisine.
  • Options
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

I suppose there's a joke there about this being the first time the rats have rushed on to the sinking ship but I can't think of it.
    I predict that by the time this is is all over and Truss has been bundled out of the building next summer that no one will admit to having switched sides to support her.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,984
    @Leon , given your fascination with what3words, have you tried GeoGuessr yet? I think you'd be decent at it.
  • Options
    PB is going to be quite the place when it is finally revealed that I have been right, all along, about

1 A plague is coming
    2 It came from the lab
    3 w3w will go mega
    4 Dalle-2 and GPT3 are the first signs of genuine AI
    6 Liz Truss is a BDSM switch
    6 Newent is weirdly shit

and

7 Aliens are here, or at least the US government has freaked itself into BELIEVING they are here

I'm pretty confident on the first 6, let us see as to point 7
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

🙂 Well I wasn't really. Rather a sweet 'in vino veritas' from CR there with just a touch of self satire I sense (and hope!)
  • Options
    Leon said:

PB is going to be quite the place when it is finally revealed that I have been right, all along, about

1 A plague is coming
    2 It came from the lab
    3 w3w will go mega
    6 Newent is weirdly shit

and

7 Aliens are here, or at least the US government has freaked itself into BELIEVING they are here

No you are wrong about 7.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

Yup.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,245

Leon said:

1 A plague is coming
    2 It came from the lab
    3 w3w will go mega
    6 Newent is weirdly shit

and

What do you think explains the raft of statements from a wide range of security, military, academic and political figures in the last 2 years?

• Options
    edited August 2022

HYUFD said:

Are you contemplating switching, or are you just wishing you had been given a better choice of candidates?
    No, I have already voted for Rishi, though as you know my original preferences were Wallace, then Tugendhat, then Mordaunt. Raab also clearly sticking with Sunak. Though we likely both have to prepare ourselves for PM Truss

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/dominic-raab-anyone-who-thinks-rishi-sunak-betrayed-boris-johnson-is-kidding-themselves-whw6bblml
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,756
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

I read the question as "Do I have OCD?"
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,601

One of the top secret sets was marked “Various classified/TS/SCI documents,” which is the abbreviation for “top secret/sensitive compartmented information,” a special category meant to protect the nation’s most important secrets — which if revealed publicly would harm US interests

https://nypost.com/2022/08/12/fbi-seized-11-sets-of-classified-documents-in-trump-mar-a-lago-raid/

Lab leak stuff?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I remember XP-1 film.

God I feel old.
    Have you read the analysis? Suggests the photo is real, and shows a real UFO. It *could* be a fake but you have to stretch reality quite far to see how you fake all this - and over decades, and with credible eye witness stories to boot

Eesh. Definitely a puzzle. The Mail concludes it is black US tech. But how come this tech has never been seen/snapped anywhere else in the intervening 30 years?
    Hats off for restraint from you tonight after the grim Rushdie news. I was a bit leery of logging on in case of seeing a flood of 'muslim' posts - but no. Lesson there for me.
  • Options

One of the top secret sets was marked “Various classified/TS/SCI documents,” which is the abbreviation for “top secret/sensitive compartmented information,” a special category meant to protect the nation’s most important secrets — which if revealed publicly would harm US interests

https://nypost.com/2022/08/12/fbi-seized-11-sets-of-classified-documents-in-trump-mar-a-lago-raid/

Lab leak stuff?
    Lolz if Trump kept the ufo files. His last Director of National Intelligence did after all say on live tv in 2021 that they were collating the documents ready for release but ran out of time before the election. The same interview he talked about having satellite data confirming radar and visuals of supersonic objects that exhibit no sonic boom.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No, I have already voted for Rishi, though as you know my original preferences were Wallace, then Tugendhat, then Mordaunt. Raab also clearly sticking with Sunak. Though we likely both have to prepare ourselves for PM Truss

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/dominic-raab-anyone-who-thinks-rishi-sunak-betrayed-boris-johnson-is-kidding-themselves-whw6bblml
    As do I. How does one do it? Any tips?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Bend over, stick your head between your legs, and kiss your ass goodbye!
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

If you don't have any Muslims you don't have any Muslim terrorism. That is my only point, to support the narrow argument @HYUFD was making

Because he is right. If you want a multicultural multiracial society, you will import a lot of good stuff AND a lot of bad stuff. That is simply the case. We live in a plural society so we get a vigorous culture with hybrid energy - it's bloody great for music - but we will also get nasty shit. Islamist terror and odious Muslim misogyny are part of the bad shit, as it relates to Muslims. People who preach for multiculturalism need to acknowledge this, and they will get more respect for their honesty. There are benefits and drawbacks

And this OF COURSE goes both ways. What did the British/English bring to Ireland? Prosperity, orderly cities, Georgian architecture, imperial trade. We also imposed quasi-racist laws, divided their society, and perhaps Facilitated the Famine (we certainly did scandalously little to alleviate it). So it is up to the Irish to decide if we were "good" or "bad": for them
    Plus of course the Japanese will ensure those Muslims that do manage to get through their rigorous border controls conform to Japanese culture and values. They will have had extensive background checks before being allowed into Japan
    This isn't right. Japanese people and officialdom generally assume foreigners can't possibly conform to Japanese culture and values, and there's absolutely no expectation that we will. This is one of the reasons why Japan doesn't take in a lot of immigrants despite the demographic benefits; People simply do not believe that integration is a thing.

There also aren't background checks to get a visa to live in Japan - there's (if it hasn't changed) a blood test to make sure you haven't got anything contagious, all the rest is just making sure you match your visa category. You probably have to tick a box to say you don't have a criminal record but they wouldn't know if you lied.

With Islam the difference is simply the numbers; There aren't many Muslims, and also no concentrated populations (since the Japanese empire mostly didn't get that far). Recently there was a thing in our neighbourhood circular telling us that there would be some Indonesian care assistants working up at the retirement home at fudged.couplets.craziness and they'd be walking with their heads covered for religious reasons, and not to freak out...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Any recommendations for how we prepare?

Assuming that emigration is off the agenda.

As one source puts it;

Hard to overstate how bad you have to be at politics to send out a press release on your commitment to end antisemitism and piss off Jews this much.

https://twitter.com/Samfr/status/1558212639129575426
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,601
    moonshine said:

Leon said:

1 A plague is coming
    2 It came from the lab
    3 w3w will go mega
    6 Newent is weirdly shit

and

What do you think explains the raft of statements from a wide range of security, military, academic and political figures in the last 2 years?

I hesitate to use the word hoax - that's been given a rather seedy reputation over the last few years, so let's just call it a 'tall tale'.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Whenever I start to think "this is surely too crazy to be real", I remember that a lowly Austrian corporal took over one of humanity's greatest nations - within living memory - and persuaded it to spend 13 years killing all the Jews in the world
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

GIN1138 said:

Nigelb said:
    Will be rather convenient for GOP and DEMS alike if he can't stand for POTUS again after this...
    There is NOTHING in US Constitution barring someone with a criminal conviction from running for & being elected as President. Does NOT require POTUS to be qualified as a voter; just need to be a natural born citizen at least 35 years old and a resident of US (not of any particular state) for at least 14 years.

Conviction for felony might NOT help Trump's 2024 prospects, but would bar neither his candidacy nor election.
    Depends on the felony.
    How would a felony conviction be a LEGAL bar to Trump being elected to 2nd term?
    When you’re also found guilty under 18 US Code 2071.

The felony conviction would be under 18 U.S. Code 1924.

I see you point - "Whoever, having the custody of any such record, proceeding, map, book, document, paper, or other thing, willfully and unlawfully conceals, removes, mutilates, obliterates, falsifies, or destroys the same, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both; and shall forfeit his office and be disqualified from holding any office under the United States."

HOWEVER am VERY doubtful, that an Act of Congress can supersede a provision of US Constitution OR that the Supreme Court (even one much differently constituted) would rule that way.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

Nice. It will be done.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Bend over, stick your head between your legs, and kiss your ass goodbye!
    Nah, it won't be that bad.

She'll probably enter the code wrong, get flustered, enter it wrong again and then get locked out of the nuclearlauncher.gov.uk. Then discover that the tech support team have been canned by budget cuts.

And on that cheerful note...
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,870
    nico679 said:

HYUFD said:

All these people switching support are hardly a vote of confidence in Truss just a desperate attempt to save their cabinet jobs. It’s pretty unedifying .
    Have any switched the other way, or is it all Truss gains?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

I read the question as "Do I have OCD?"
    Fewest unnecessary clicks or least navigation.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,933
    edited August 2022
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Spectacular.
    It looks to me like a picture of a stone in a loch, with overhanging birch and larch. If it was a direct picture of the sky you'd either have to be on a steep slope or lying on the ground to get that angle of a fence with no foreground.

Is there any corroboration that a jet was dispatched to view an object?

The RAF used to buzz that area quite frequently. I remember being passed by a jet at close range whilst on Ben Vrackie just above Pitlochry, probably in the early 1990s (eek). You could definitely have set a picture up and waited.

Was an exact location for the photograph given?

The only thing that is a bit odd is that the stone would have to be relatively large given the size of the birch leaves unless a zoom was used (which seems likely given the size of the plane).
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

This isn't right. Japanese people and officialdom generally assume foreigners can't possibly conform to Japanese culture and values, and there's absolutely no expectation that we will. This is one of the reasons why Japan doesn't take in a lot of immigrants despite the demographic benefits; People simply do not believe that integration is a thing.

There also aren't background checks to get a visa to live in Japan - there's (if it hasn't changed) a blood test to make sure you haven't got anything contagious, all the rest is just making sure you match your visa category. You probably have to tick a box to say you don't have a criminal record but they wouldn't know if you lied.

With Islam the difference is simply the numbers; There aren't many Muslims, and also no concentrated populations (since the Japanese empire mostly didn't get that far). Recently there was a thing in our neighbourhood circular telling us that there would be some Indonesian care assistants working up at the retirement home at fudged.couplets.craziness and they'd be walking with their heads covered for religious reasons, and not to freak out...
    Hence you reinforce Leon's point. Japan is not a multicultural nation, Japan deliberately has far fewer immigrants than the West and Japan therefore lacks the energy and culture higher immigration brings but also has a more integrated and conformist culture and lower levels of crime and terrorism too
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,733
    edited August 2022
    Oooh todays worldle was tricky;

https://worldle.teuteuf.fr/

No obvious coastline.
    Doesn’t look much like an island.
    No ruler-straight border (indicating a former colony).

Got it on my last guess!
  • Options

Leon said:

1 A plague is coming
    2 It came from the lab
    3 w3w will go mega
    6 Newent is weirdly shit

and

Let's ask Donald Trump, he's had the papers about all of this...
  • Options
    Hang on. Where do I put BBC Sport?
  • Options

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Spectacular.
    It looks to me like a picture of a stone in a loch, with overhanging birch and larch. If it was a direct picture of the sky you'd either have to be on a steep slope or lying on the ground to get that angle of a fence with no foreground.

The RAF used to buzz that area quite frequently. I remember being passed by a jet at close range whilst on Ben Vrackie just above Pitlochry, probably in the early 1990s (eek). You could definitely have set a picture up and waited.

The only thing that is a bit odd is that the stone would have to be relatively large given the size of the birch leaves unless a zoom was used (which
    seems likely given the size of the plane).
    Why would such a photo be impounded and then classified for 30 years? And then after 30 years classified for a further 56 years? What Leon and I have been saying for a very long time is that it’s the behaviour of officials that is most interesting in all this, not the publicly released evidence itself.
  • Options
    Interview with Mogg.

Mogg doesn't think it is realistic that Johnson will return to high office.

He has no idea what Johnson will do as far as staying on as MP or not is concerned and unsure what he would advise.

No one has returned as party leader since Gladstone he says.

https://twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1558211732459356162
  • Options

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Spectacular.

The only thing that is a bit odd is that the stone would have to be relatively large given the size of the birch leaves unless a zoom was used (which seems likely given the size of the plane).
    I see what you mean about stone in a loch

But for that to be the case it means an awful lot of people, eye witnesses and more, have conspired over 30 years, including MoD interventions and Official Secrets shit (this photo has been talked about for ages) to create a hoax over what is a ridiculous photo of: a stone in a loch?

At some point the idea of an enormous decades-long hoax becomes less credible than the idea that: this is an actual photo of something weird hovering in the sky in Scotland

• Options
    https://www.scotsman.com/news/close-encounters-pitlochry-kind-2465945

Story from 2009 concerning Calvine UFO incident:

“Newly released Ministry of Defence files reveal they took the unusual step of informing senior Cabinet figures after an unidentified object was captured on camera in Perthshire.”

It’s not a fucking stone reflected in a lake. It might be secret tech. But that in itself is quite the story given the description that it hovered silently for 10 mins before showing instant acceleration.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,882
    moonshine said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Spectacular.

The only thing that is a bit odd is that the stone would have to be relatively large given the size of the birch leaves unless a zoom was used (which
    seems likely given the size of the plane).
    Why would such a photo be impounded and then classified for 30 years? And then after 30 years classified for a further 56 years? What Leon and I have been saying for a very long time is that it’s the behaviour of officials that is most interesting in all this, not the publicly released evidence itself.
    Typical conspiracy theory: the actual evidence shows diddly-squat, so the conspiracy theorists' arguments are all nudge-nudge-wink-wink stuff.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    ping said:

Oooh todays worldle was tricky;

https://worldle.teuteuf.fr/

No obvious coastline.
    Doesn’t look much like an island.
    No ruler-straight border (indicating a former colony).

Got it on my last guess!

Got it in 1!
    #Worldle #203 1/6 (100%)
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🎉
    https://worldle.teuteuf.fr
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Spectacular.

I see what you mean about stone in a loch

But for that to be the case it means an awful lot of people, eye witnesses and more, have conspired over 30 years, including MoD interventions and Official Secrets shit (this photo has been talked about for ages) to create a hoax over what is a ridiculous photo of: a stone in a loch?

At some point the idea of an enormous decades-long hoax becomes less credible than the idea that: this is an actual photo of something weird hovering in the sky in Scotland

My view of the MoD/US military/Deep State response is that it could just as well be just that they know that photos of stones in lochs like this cause all sorts of weird and wonderful theories and associated bollocks, so best to keep the whole thing locked away.

• Options
    moonshine said:

“Newly released Ministry of Defence files reveal they took the unusual step of informing senior Cabinet figures after an unidentified object was captured on camera in Perthshire.”

It’s not a fucking stone reflected in a lake. It might be secret tech. But that in itself is quite the story given the description that it hovered silently for 10 mins before showing instant acceleration.

Actually, I think @Flatlander is likely right

That's a stone in a loch, with an RAF or USAF jet (Harrier?) captured in the same reflection

Look at the angle of the fence. The camera is looking DOWN. It's a reflection

We still need to explain the incredible chicanery around that photo (hoax? Psy ops? Why now?); but I reckon this is a stone in a loch

I am happy to be proven wrong. Let's see what Mick West says
  • Options
    Leon said:

moonshine said:

That's a stone in a loch, with an RAF or USAF jet (Harrier?) captured in the same reflection

We still need to explain the incredible chicanery around that photo (hoax? Psy ops? Why now?); but I reckon this is a stone in a loch

I am happy to be proven wrong. Let's see what
    Mick West says
    Why no ripples?

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Feels pretty significant. Nothing seems to be going his way.
    I will not be a Liz switch.
  • Options
    Disaster #8 for @Leon ??

Eric Holthaus
    @EricHolthaus
    This is one of the extreme climate disasters I'm most worried about.

A California megaflood would be the world's first $1 trillion weather disaster, and could displace millions of people.

Climate change greatly increases the chances of intense rainfall events.

https://twitter.com/EricHolthaus/status/1558185394298146821
  • Options

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Spectacular.

Are you near enough to go take a look, tomorrow? You could be pivotal in a big global story! See if there are any stones in a loch - with fences and trees - which could match this. I am tending to believe you

But the UFO stuff is all over Twitter

I find it hard to credit that so many smart people have apparently been taken in by this - IF it is fake - but I have to confess, after what you said, what I now see when I look at it is: stone in a loch. But that could be my Normalcy Bias...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    moonshine said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Mick West says
    Why no ripples?

Remedied:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAMBKnKPANo
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Mick West says
    Why no ripples?

Scotland does have quiet calm overcast days. And that supposed flat grey sky could easily be reflected grey sky

My theory: someone took some photos of a loch with a reflected stone and noticed they had captured a stray Harrier in the same image. They realised this looked like a UFO being buzzed and was not obviously disprovable - because it is a photo of something genuine. Not a fake kite or a frisbee

They tried to make money out of it but the UKG over-reacted and closed it all down. Now it emerges, at the optimum time to make cash during the latest UAP flap
  • Options
    Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Mick West says
    Why no ripples?

Scotland does have quiet calm overcast days. And that supposed flat grey sky could easily be reflected grey sky

My theory: someone took some photos of a loch with a reflected stone and noticed they had captured a stray Harrier in the same image. They realised this looked like a UFO being buzzed and was not obviously disprovable - because it is a photo of something genuine. Not a fake kite or a frisbee

They tried to make money out of it but the UKG over-reacted and closed it all down. Now it emerges, at the optimum time to make cash during the latest UAP flap
    What is more likely: UFOs are visiting us all the time and this is one primary example, or it is a photo of a rock in a loch with a passing jet plane?

There seem to be plenty of more compelling UFO stuff out there (see what I did there?) than this one to be honest.
  • Options
    Wildfire tornado in LA County.

Hollywood could not have done better graphics:

https://twitter.com/KTLA/status/1557529838776250368
  • Options

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Mick West says
    Why no ripples?

What is more likely: UFOs are visiting us all the time and this is one primary example, or it is a photo of a rock in a loch with a passing jet plane?

There seem to be plenty of more compelling UFO stuff out there (see what I did there?) than this one to be honest.
    Yeah, I think it is a rock in a loch. The fence is at the wrong angle

It is, nonetheless, a remarkable piece of hoaxing, if this is what it is. This photo has been discussed for many years, and now suddenly this ancient dude in Scotland emerges.... with the real photo..... at just the right time!

Hats off to them, if they have hoodwinked half the world with a grainy photo of: a rock in a loch
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Mick West says
    Why no ripples?

Yeah, I think it is a rock in a loch. The fence is at the wrong angle

It is, nonetheless, a remarkable piece of hoaxing, if this is what it is. This photo has been discussed for many years, and now suddenly this ancient dude in Scotland emerges.... with the real photo..... at just the right time!

Hats off to them, if they have hoodwinked half the world with a grainy photo of: a rock in a loch
    It takes 4 years at light-speed to get to Earth from Alpha Centauri.
This discussion has been closed.