Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Is it time for the Redwall Tory MPs to panic? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,395
    edited August 2022

Clare Grogan on Radio 2 has chosen Mmm-bop as one of the tracks of her years.

Was there anyone more gorgeous than Clare Grogan in the 1980s?

I am boycotting R2 after the Steve Wright sacking. Ken will be next!
    In the 80's, Isabel Adjani ran her close.

Steve Wright has had a good run. I heard some interesting stuff about him (from one of his Radio 2 colleagues. He has been very astute about keeping his job this long.
    Kim Wilde.

Periodically they ring the changes at R2 and get a load of presenters who've been sacked for being too old for R1. And so the world turns. He is a very good presenter though. He'll be snapped up by a commercial station.
  • Options
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Waitrose online have almost sold out of mineral water

EVERYONE IS THIRSTY

I also saw they had a whole section of zero alcohol drinks. The world is a changin'.

For the better in this case, I think, and Peroni's zero lager does it for me.

It's an interesting philosophical point. Kingsley Amis famously asked it, Would we drink booze if it wasn't boozy? If it did not get us drunk?

Personally, no, I doubt it very much

I enjoy the taste of a few forms of alcohol - red wine, maybe a beer on a cold day - but I can't see myself drinking it if it did not have booze. It would be like smoking zero-heroin heroin

And of course some alcohols are positively unpleasant - eg vodka

I saw a zero alcohol gin, the other day, in Marks and Sparks. What is the fucking point in that? The only fucking point in that is to try and fool your brain into believing you are drinking alcohol
    Bingo.

Much like smoking I believe it is the ritual that is important as much as anything. Gordon's zero gin is the best of the bunch imo and stick it in a cut crystal glass, tonic, ice and a slice, and some anchovy olives and you feel you are having a gin.

If you think about the first drink of the evening, it gives you a very pleasant hit such that you think: "more of that please" and before you know it it's midnight and you are posting about aliens at the bottom of the garden.

Why not stick at that one first drink and then have something which fools your brain into thinking it is continuing the process without the unwelcome effects.

Same with a zero lager. Stick some lemonade in the top and sit down on a day such as today with that and a pack of Walkers Chicken Crisps and you are having a lazy beer. Plus that beer, er, ah, um, texture is unique and the zero ones have it.
    Aaaaaand no. Just no
    I rarely press like so hard
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,177
    TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

You know: the simplest way to get the price of energy down is to defeat Russia. And the simplest way to defeat Russia is for us to simply come in on the side of the Ukrainians.

Furthermore, if we were to do this, it would send a very clear message to all the Russians (who aren't Putin) that the best way out of the mess would be for Putin to have an accident.

Yes. I think we'd have to be clear that our war aims were only to eject Russian forces from Ukraine, as per the agreements we made when Ukraine gave up its nukes, and not regime change though.
    Our war aims would need to be to defeat the Russian army.

And this is supposed to be a sensible discussion board.

I mean go for it if you want, and I noted @rcs1000's commitment to the cause but are we thinking this through.
    No. If the Russian Army retreated from Ukraine we'd have to let them go, otherwise we would be pushing things beyond the strategic nuclear threshold.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

EVERYONE IS THIRSTY

I also saw they had a whole section of zero alcohol drinks. The world is a changin'.

It's an interesting philosophical point. Kingsley Amis famously asked it, Would we drink booze if it wasn't boozy? If it did not get us drunk?

I enjoy the taste of a few forms of alcohol - red wine, maybe a beer on a cold day - but I can't see myself drinking it if it did not have booze. It would be like smoking zero-heroin heroin

I saw a zero alcohol gin, the other day, in Marks and Sparks. What is the fucking point in that? The only fucking point in that is to try and fool your brain into believing you are drinking alcohol
    Bingo.

Much like smoking I believe it is the ritual that is important as much as anything. Gordon's zero gin is the best of the bunch imo and stick it in a cut crystal glass, tonic, ice and a slice, and some anchovy olives and you feel you are having a gin.

If you think about the first drink of the evening, it gives you a very pleasant hit such that you think: "more of that please" and before you know it it's midnight and you are posting about aliens at the bottom of the garden.

Why not stick at that one first drink and then have something which fools your brain into thinking it is continuing the process without the unwelcome effects.

Same with a zero lager. Stick some lemonade in the top and sit down on a day such as today with that and a pack of Walkers Chicken Crisps and you are having a lazy beer. Plus that beer, er, ah, um, texture is unique and the zero ones have it.
    Aaaaaand no. Just no
    Much as I admire your incisive debating prowess I'm guessing that you didn't read what I posted. Which is fair enough given the heat.

But in a quiet moment perhaps cast your eyes over that and you will realise that I am right.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,137
    ydoethur said:

Carrie and Boris Johnson’s Camberwell townhouse listed for sale for £1.6 million
    The Johnsons have put their Camberwell townhouse up for sale — for £400,000 more than they paid for it.

Outgoing Prime Minister Boris Johnson and his wife Carrie Johnson have put their Camberwell townhouse up for sale for £1.6 million.

The couple paid £1.2 million for their four-bedroom, red-brick Victorian terrace home on 19 July 2019.

Should it sell for the asking price, the Johnsons stand to make a profit of £400,000.

The Johnsons have never lived at the property, and are thought to have rented out both the Camberwell townhouse and an Oxfordshire farmhouse to pay for costly renovations to their home at 11 Downing Street.

https://www.standard.co.uk/homesandproperty/celebrity-homes/boris-carrie-johnson-camberwell-townhouse-for-sale-b1017759.html

Now that is interesting. What does he plan to live in on leaving office if he sells?

Has he been promised a job by Truss?

Or is he in such dire financial straits he has no choice?
    Chancellor of the Exchequer. Does Liz want to live in Rishi's flat and avoid the godawful wallpaper?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

Another bloody hustings?
    How many do they need? Has anyone on here who's eligible not voted because they are undecided? Get on with it FFS!

I had lunch with several former colleagues today. One thing they talked about was politics, and I was very surprised indeed to find that they all assumed that Rishi Sunak (whom they called 'Big Ears') was a certainty to win the Tory leadership election.

Either we are getting this completely wrong, or the population as a whole including the intelligent, well-informed section of it, is paying precisely zero attention to what is going on.
    There's a certain part of "intelligent, well informed" conversation that can't see past the end of their nose.

Hence why to many Brexit came as such a soul-crushing shock that showed that a portion of the population had been "misled" or "didn't understand" the question, because the self-described "intelligent" and "well informed" people knew the correct answer so the incorrect answer had been given.

It doesn't matter what the polls say, some people will be utterly shocked if Truss wins.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carrie and Boris Johnson’s Camberwell townhouse listed for sale for £1.6 million
    The Johnsons have put their Camberwell townhouse up for sale — for £400,000 more than they paid for it.

Outgoing Prime Minister Boris Johnson and his wife Carrie Johnson have put their Camberwell townhouse up for sale for £1.6 million.

The couple paid £1.2 million for their four-bedroom, red-brick Victorian terrace home on 19 July 2019.

Should it sell for the asking price, the Johnsons stand to make a profit of £400,000.

The Johnsons have never lived at the property, and are thought to have rented out both the Camberwell townhouse and an Oxfordshire farmhouse to pay for costly renovations to their home at 11 Downing Street.

https://www.standard.co.uk/homesandproperty/celebrity-homes/boris-carrie-johnson-camberwell-townhouse-for-sale-b1017759.html

Now that is interesting. What does he plan to live in on leaving office if he sells?

The Johnsons own four homes aiui. Two in Camberwell, one in Oxford and one in the West Country. I dare say a billionaire friend can find them somewhere nice until Boris gets the advance on his memoirs, or possibly leaves to tour the United States.

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,024
    Fuck me it is hot again in London

SCORCHIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOO

OO

Yes, I have very little to do

SCORCHIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

oooooooOOOOOH
  • Options
    I think I've really moved the debate on there. Set new terms, as it were
  • Options

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

EVERYONE IS THIRSTY

Bingo.

Aaaaaand no. Just no
    I rarely press like so hard
    Edit: this announcement brought to you by Alcoholics Pseudonymous
  • Options

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

You know: the simplest way to get the price of energy down is to defeat Russia. And the simplest way to defeat Russia is for us to simply come in on the side of the Ukrainians.

Furthermore, if we were to do this, it would send a very clear message to all the Russians (who aren't Putin) that the best way out of the mess would be for Putin to have an accident.

Yes. I think we'd have to be clear that our war aims were only to eject Russian forces from Ukraine, as per the agreements we made when Ukraine gave up its nukes, and not regime change though.

I mean go for it if you want, and I noted @rcs1000's commitment to the cause but are we thinking this through.
    The way things are going, we will not need to defeat the Russian army.

It seems the Russian army (and wider military) are perfectly capable of defeating themselves.
    The Russians have been fighting for nearly six months now, and have so far managed to find enough men and material to keep fighting. There seems to be a lot of fight left in them, and we'd considerably speed up their defeat if we joined the war directly.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,767
    ydoethur said:

Presumably subject to CGT too.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

EVERYONE IS THIRSTY

Bingo.

(Much like smoking I believe) it is the ritual that is important as much as anything. Gordon's zero gin is the best of the bunch imo and stick it in a cut crystal glass, tonic, ice and a slice, and some anchovy olives and you feel you are having a gin.

Are you the Inebriati?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zj50DmBFp0

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

He will already be negotiating the squillion dollar advance for his memoirs. He is not going to be skint
    I agree. And he really can write. Although they will undoubtedly be a pack of lies, his memoirs will be both entertaining and a guaranteed best seller.

So why is he selling?
  • Options
    Leon said:

SCORCHIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOO

OO

oooooooOOOOOH

Oh shut up :)
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

He will already be negotiating the squillion dollar advance for his memoirs. He is not going to be skint
    I agree. And he really can write. Although they will undoubtedly be a pack of lies, his memoirs will be both entertaining and a guaranteed best seller.

So why is he selling?
    Probably BECAUSE they are buying somewhere much nicer

It's a Victorian terrace in Camberwell. Boris is going to be worth £10m+ very soon

He will be upgrading to a Georgian terrace in W1, NW1 or W11
  • Options
    Leon said:

SCORCHIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOO

OO

oooooooOOOOOH

Is there really a second "h" in "scorchio"?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,310
    Leon said:

SCORCHIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOO

OO

oooooooOOOOOH

You're basically like Sunil, except you've had sex in the past and are a tad less socially inept.

A tad.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

So why is he selling?
    Moving to the US?
  • Options

Leon said:

SCORCHIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOO

OO

oooooooOOOOOH

You're basically like Sunil, except you've had sex in the past and are a tad less socially inept.

A tad.
    Also, we've both been to Wick
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

So why is he selling?
    Probably because, knowing their client is Boris Johnson, they want to see some chapters actually written first?
  • Options

kle4 said:

16 times being late to register is a pretty significant number to be believably regarded as inadvertent, without use of 'I'm an idiot' defence.

Similar to parties get fined for not registering electoral expenses properly and whinge about it being confusing, when even if it is the mainstream parties easily have the resources to make it very clear for their officials, so it is not believable they did not understand.
    As I said the other day, this is too common, and there is no obvious gain for not registering, that one must suspect the process is not straightforward enough.
    Or they know they can just say ooopsie, my bad and get off with no consequences like SKS snd Lammy
    But there are no good consequences, even if the bad ones are less bad than you'd like. There is nothing to gain by missing registration deadlines. It is incompetence, but probably the process is wrong too.
  • Options

That's not a "townhouse" , it's just a bog standard South London Victoria terraced house. I live in one not wholly dissimilar and it's definitely not a townhouse, whatever that even is.
    Well, to me, three floors qualifies as a "townhouse".
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Clare Grogan on Radio 2 has chosen Mmm-bop as one of the tracks of her years.

Where PB leads...

Odd how much good music is from Glasgow.
    Dunno, it’s profile isn’t that different from Liverpool’s*. And there is the musical marching tradition of course..

*not necessarily a recommendation in your view istr 🙂

Well, no. Compare, say, Twist and Shout with, say, Twist and Shout. No contest, and the winning city also has fratellis, del Amitri, Amy, Franz Ferdinand, aztec Camera, ultravox....
    And not to mention Orange Juice, Simple Minds (before U2ification), Donovan, Primal Scream, Frankie Miller, Belle and Sebastian and the guvnor, Alex Harvey.
    Sadly I missed Donovan a couple of years ago at our local festival, but apparently an object lesson in not overdoing the LSD for too many decades. Belle and Sebastian for sure.
    Got taken along to see Donovan in Reading maybe 15 years back and was somewhat surprised to discover that his drummer was Rat Scabies....
    I've never seen Donovan (although I have seen his son in a band who supported the Monkees, called Nancy Boy) but I have been to Sunny Googe (autocorrected as Google) Street, does that count?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,414
    Leon said:

SCORCHIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOO

OO

oooooooOOOOOH

Very, very pleasant in Polzeath. Or, slightly too hot, but when hot, I can go in the sea and cool down. And, yes, it's still Britishly bracing to get in, but very nice once you're in. You can bob about happily for some time without getting at all chilly. It's not just 'ooh, isn't this bracing' pleasant, it's actually pleasant. Unheard of in British waters. And then you come out and the sun warms you up straight away and you are dry in two or three minutes.

And all this without any faff with airports or languages or shops selling all the wrong stuff.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

EVERYONE IS THIRSTY

Bingo.

(Much like smoking I believe) it is the ritual that is important as much as anything. Gordon's zero gin is the best of the bunch imo and stick it in a cut crystal glass, tonic, ice and a slice, and some anchovy olives and you feel you are having a gin.

Are you the Inebriati?

One of life's immeasurable joys (for me) is to take the gin (Sipsmiths) out of the freezer, the fevertree full fat out of the fridge and pour one third two thirds of each into a nice cut crystal glass.

That first sip is the most amazing, sharp, hit. Same as if you get a martini at Drakes (where they limit you to two only) or even The Stafford.

Absolutely nothing like it.

But three down the line, then onto supper and some wine then perhaps a sticky is not a good recipe for the following day.

And midweek I am increasingly preferring having a clear head in the morning than a drunken one in the evening. Not that a couple of beers or even a gin midweek would take me out of the game the next day but I really do like that clear, sharp head. Most people who have given up/cut down their alcohol say the same thing.

I don't think I'll ever give up completely but the thought of it is not out of the question (current wine stocks mean that will be some time down the line if I never bought another bottle of decent aldi red, of which there are many).
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Collins Dictionary

"What does townhouse mean in the UK?

1. a terraced house in an urban area, esp a fashionable one, often having the main living room on the first floor with an integral garage on the ground floor. 2. a person's town residence as distinct from his or her country residence."

Boris is not a toff with a country pile, so definition 2 is out. As for 1, it kinda fits the description as a building, but Camberwell, despite some nice period streets, is not "fashionable" in London terms

VERDICT: No, not a townhouse
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

SCORCHIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOO

OO

oooooooOOOOOH

A tad.
    But has Sunil ever been to Newent?
  • Options
    I know it's not even a proper first-class game, but the England Lions are giving South Africa a right tonking at Canterbury. A massive 239-run lead on the first innings, despite batting for fewer overs, and SA are already 50/3.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

SCORCHIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOO

OO

oooooooOOOOOH

Very, very pleasant in Polzeath. Or, slightly too hot, but when hot, I can go in the sea and cool down. And, yes, it's still Britishly bracing to get in, but very nice once you're in. You can bob about happily for some time without getting at all chilly. It's not just 'ooh, isn't this bracing' pleasant, it's actually pleasant. Unheard of in British waters. And then you come out and the sun warms you up straight away and you are dry in two or three minutes.

And all this without any faff with airports or languages or shops selling all the wrong stuff.
    Ah, I'm jealous!

My Cornish family are now universally COMPLAINING about the heat. This is unprecedented
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

EVERYONE IS THIRSTY

Bingo.

Are you the Inebriati?

One of life's immeasurable joys (for me) is to take the gin (Sipsmiths) out of the freezer, the fevertree full fat out of the fridge and pour one third two thirds of each into a nice cut crystal glass.

That first sip is the most amazing, sharp, hit. Same as if you get a martini at Drakes (where they limit you to two only) or even The Stafford.

But three down the line, then onto supper and some wine then perhaps a sticky is not a good recipe for the following day.

And midweek I am increasingly preferring having a clear head in the morning than a drunken one in the evening. Not that a couple of beers or even a gin midweek would take me out of the game the next day but I really do like that clear, sharp head. Most people who have given up/cut down their alcohol say the same thing.

I don't think I'll ever give up completely but the thought of it is not out of the question (current wine stocks mean that will be some time down the line if I never bought another bottle of decent aldi red, of which there are many).
    Quite rare that the Stafford gets a mention. I've organised a couple of dinners in their cellar - an amusing place.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Collins Dictionary

1. a terraced house in an urban area, esp a fashionable one, often having the main living room on the first floor with an integral garage on the ground floor. 2. a person's town residence as distinct from his or her country residence."

Boris is not a toff with a country pile, so definition 2 is out. As for 1, it kinda fits the description as a building, but Camberwell, despite some nice period streets, is not "fashionable" in London terms

Interesting. 1. sounds like a mews house not a town house. Sitting room on the first floor, dining room on the ground floor and kitchen in the basement gets you to townhouse.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited August 2022

That's not a "townhouse" , it's just a bog standard South London Victoria terraced house. I live in one not wholly dissimilar and it's definitely not a townhouse, whatever that even is.
    Townhouse is 3 or more above surface floors.

So two floors and a basement - bog standard terrace.

Ground, 1st and 2nd - Townhouse.
  • Options
    DynamoDynamo Posts: 651
    edited August 2022
    I eat pasta only extremely rarely, preferring julienned celeriac and parsnip which I cook for about 60 seconds and find much tastier than pasta which I view as little more than an edible spoon. Said vegetables are also far less carb-heavy. BUT common sense says there ARE important savourable differences between different shapes of pasta. One can also point to the very many different ways of cutting vegetables in French cuisine. Anyone who says vegetables are vegetables and it doesn't matter how you cut them is missing a lot. Of course it matters!

So can someone for the sake of my education please post a short list saying which shapes of pasta go best with what types of sauce. Then I will come away with something useful from the discussion. Thx.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

SCORCHIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOO

OO

oooooooOOOOOH

A tad.
    Not by train he hasn't, unless he's a lot older than he looks.

Train to Ledbury and a long walk via Dymock?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

EVERYONE IS THIRSTY

Bingo.

Are you the Inebriati?

You can get the same sharp clear head by fasting, and then you can still drink. I'm not kidding. Fasting is amazing for speeding the brain. Silicon Valley moguls do it, when they need turbo brain power

If I go without food for 24 hours the next morning I can sit down and write a blistering op-ed for the Knapper's Gazette in about 30 minutes

And of course it helps keep the weight off
  • Options
    Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

EVERYONE IS THIRSTY

Bingo.

Are you the Inebriati?

Quite rare that the Stafford gets a mention. I've organised a couple of dinners in their cellar - an amusing place.
    I hated the refurb - ruined the American Bar as far as I'm concerned. But they do mix a mean martini. Drakes for me from now on for that hit. Last time I was there some bloke stood up in the main bar room, took two steps and fell headlong into a party of four at the adjacent table. Excellent stuff.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

SCORCHIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOO

OO

oooooooOOOOOH

A tad.

You can cycle it, which is somewhat quicker.

Lovely cycle route as well all through the woods. At its best in the spring when the daffs are out.
  • Options
    @Leon do you like New Orleans rhythm and blues?
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,930
    edited August 2022

kle4 said:

16 times being late to register is a pretty significant number to be believably regarded as inadvertent, without use of 'I'm an idiot' defence.

Similar to parties get fined for not registering electoral expenses properly and whinge about it being confusing, when even if it is the mainstream parties easily have the resources to make it very clear for their officials, so it is not believable they did not understand.
    As I said the other day, this is too common, and there is no obvious gain for not registering, that one must suspect the process is not straightforward enough.
    Or they know they can just say ooopsie, my bad and get off with no consequences like SKS snd Lammy
    But there are no good consequences, even if the bad ones are less bad than you'd like. There is nothing to gain by missing registration deadlines. It is incompetence, but probably the process is wrong too.
    Some of it in both recent examples relates to income. Its imperative we know who is paying our MPs, for what, promptly. They also know this.
    And as for process..... we don't get to inadvertantly file tax returns late and get away with it. Its not incompetence, its that they dont give a shit and/or consider themselves too important
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

EVERYONE IS THIRSTY

Bingo.

Are you the Inebriati?

You can get the same sharp clear head by fasting, and then you can still drink. I'm not kidding. Fasting is amazing for speeding the brain. Silicon Valley moguls do it, when they need turbo brain power

If I go without food for 24 hours the next morning I can sit down and write a blistering op-ed for the Knapper's Gazette in about 30 minutes

And of course it helps keep the weight off
    Yeah I hear you. But I am too greedy. I might fast if I skipped breakfast, was busy over lunch and arrive at 7-8pm not having eaten. But other than that it ain't gonna happen.

Of course cutting out alcohol is probably the easiest route to weight loss. As long as you have water instead.

Some time ago I used to have to lose weight for my chosen sport and I did feel rather ascetic about it. I can this minute taste the solitary piece of chorizo from their pasta that I was given by a friend when a group of us went out for dinner and I, as usual, had nothing. The Fire Station in London Bridge. Fantastic. And 30 years ago.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,310
    Phuket. Gonna sack off work at 3pm tomorrow and drive to Hayling Island.

Plunge in.
  • Options
    Hustings at 7. Here is the Sun's stream; others will be available.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Teb-e7DkcT8
  • Options
    Dynamo said:

I eat pasta only extremely rarely, preferring julienned celeriac and parsnip which I cook for about 60 seconds and find much tastier than pasta which I view as little more than an edible spoon. Said vegetables are also far less carb-heavy. BUT common sense says there ARE important savourable differences between different shapes of pasta. One can also point to the very many different ways of cutting vegetables in French cuisine. Anyone who says vegetables are vegetables and it doesn't matter how you cut them is missing a lot. Of course it matters!

So can someone for the sake of my education please post a short list saying which shapes of pasta go best with what types of sauce. Then I will come away with something useful from the discussion. Thx.

Silent violins do confuse outsiders
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Collins Dictionary

Interesting. 1. sounds like a mews house not a town house. Sitting room on the first floor, dining room on the ground floor and kitchen in the basement gets you to townhouse.
    Yes, the garage thing is weird. How many period London terrace houses have a garage on the ground floor? Just a few odd modern ones, and a few mews houses (which are converted stables, of course). It is definitely not standard

I've lived in a few genuine townhouses; I now live in a converted townhouse

I rented one in my late 20s/early 30s on Thornhill Crescent in Barnsbury, N1, shared with friends. We had the whole house and garden, with multiple bed rooms, conservatory, attic, little roof terrace, balconies, the works

The rent was extremely reasonable such that young people in London on decent but not amazing wages could afford it. An entire house like that is now worth £2.5 million, and I don't think people in their late 20s on OK wages could easily rent it

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/details/england-89642579-11644330?s=9d8f7dc350874be9daf2707ae0cb69be2699d388968345efc779f561ba3ac339#/

It was an absolute blast, tho. The parties!

At one of them a member of Bananarama got fucked on the tumble dryer. Scenes
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Did he find a tenant for the house he owns in Oxfordshire? That's the place he came out from carrying a tray of mugs of tea for the hacks. Last year he was only looking to let it on a 12-month lease:

https://www.onthemarket.com/details/10256588/
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

SCORCHIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOO

OO

oooooooOOOOOH

A tad.

You can cycle it, which is somewhat quicker.

Lovely cycle route as well all through the woods. At its best in the spring when the daffs are out.
    You crack on, I'm stopping for a pint at the Full Pitcher before I phone a taxi for the rest of the journey.
  • Options
    edited August 2022

Dynamo said:

Is there anything other than snot in your whole personality? Maybe get out of your tiny bourgeois mental village some time.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,102

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

No. If the Russian Army retreated from Ukraine we'd have to let them go, otherwise we would be pushing things beyond the strategic nuclear threshold.
    But retreated from each and every bit of Ukraine that Ukraine considers to be Ukraine.

And a new regime in Belarus too, please.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,119
    rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes, let's start World War Three. That's bound to get the cost of energy down.
    Every day we don't stick up to Putin, he gets his claws into another autocrat (or would be autocrat), and the entire Western order is put at risk.
    Have you ever thought of standing for the leadership of the Tory party? I think you may have what it takes.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Some of it in both recent examples relates to income. Its imperative we know who is paying our MPs, for what, promptly. They also know this.
    And as for process..... we don't get to inadvertantly file tax returns late and get away with it. Its not incompetence, its that they dont give a shit and/or consider themselves too important
    Yes it is vital but analogies with tax returns or election expenses do not fit because in those cases there is a benefit. Because it is so important, I should like to see the process cleaned up and made frictionless.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,930

kle4 said:

Yes it is vital but analogies with tax returns or election expenses do not fit because in those cases there is a benefit. Because it is so important, I should like to see the process cleaned up and made frictionless.
    Id like that too as long as the 'inadvertant' bullshit get out of jail free ends
  • Options
    Dynamo said:

Dynamo said:

Is there anything other than snot in your whole personality? Maybe get out of your tiny bourgeois mental village some time.
    Why herd, when you can third?
  • Options
    Chris said:

rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

rcs1000 said:

Every day we don't stick up to Putin, he gets his claws into another autocrat (or would be autocrat), and the entire Western order is put at risk.
    Have you ever thought of standing for the leadership of the Tory party? I think you may have what it takes.
    Are you suggesting the site administrator is insane?

Because if so, you're taking an even bigger risk than the Radiohead dissers.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

IshmaelZ said:

This is superb. all of it.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-crisis-at-the-heart-of-the-modern-conservative-party

Many on the left would be shocked by how apolitical most of the Conservative party is. There is currently no theory in conservative politics. I suspect no more than a handful of Tory MPs have ever read Burke or Hayek, unless they cropped up on a PPE reading list. They will be far more familiar with Isabel Oakeshott than Michael.

Rather than principles or goals, the Tory party today lives for day-to-day reactions to the things that catch its eye. Most MPs have no understanding of economics, but instead repeat half-remembered maxims about lower taxes (we are, it seems, forever to the right of the Laffer curve), whilst at the same time celebrating the latest boondoggle that happens to land in their constituency. In the same vein, you see the Tory MPs who have started to get their head around the housing crisis call for more housebuilding everywhere except where it threatens some historic carpark or ‘sacred’ waste site on their patch. They will tweet almost back-to-back about the unaffordability of homes and their objection to any new development.

It is not that the Conservative party is deliberately and mindfully pursuing ends inimical to British interests. Tory MPs do, mostly, want a prosperous and safe country. They’ve just lost any sense of what that means beyond platitudes, or how to engage with the challenges that stand in our way. The party would rather hide behind the curtain, pulling at levers that aren’t attached to anything.

They're out of energy and ideas. They should do the country a favour and resign en masse. Labour may or may not be equally clueless but it's worth at least testing the proposition.
    Time For A Change is feeling unstoppable to me even without Labour being explicit about what the change would be. Making the case for yet another term of Tory government is going to be as difficult as getting a burglar off when he's been caught halfway down the stairs with a guilty expression and an overflowing swagbag. Can't see Liz Truss being able to do it. I actually think Boris Johnson would have had a better chance.
  • Options

Betfair next prime minister
    1.11 Liz Truss 90%
    9.6 Rishi Sunak 10%

Next Conservative leader
    1.11 Liz Truss 90%
    9.6 Rishi Sunak 10%

Pre-hustings prices:-

Betfair next prime minister
    1.12 Liz Truss 89%
    9.6 Rishi Sunak 10%

Next Conservative leader
    1.11 Liz Truss 90%
    9.6 Rishi Sunak 10%
  • Options
    Chris said:

rcs1000 said:

Indeed. Basic economics says so. No energy sources will be damaged, or anything like that. No transport or distribution facilities either. And of course every country will be in a much stronger position to pay all of its debts in good time, so the international financial system will be as stable as f***.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,102

Play a game with friends. Called First Night in Heaven. The premise is you get through the Pearly Gates, but suspect there has been an admin mix up that will be rectified in the morning. Which dead artist would you see that (possibly only) night in Heaven?

For me, tough call between Bob Marley and Professor Longhair.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Wow. Pretty strong stuff from Beto O'Rourke, if authentic.

https://twitter.com/SawyerHackett/status/1557564021498413056

Edit - does appear to be authentic.
  • Options

Dynamo said:

Dynamo said:

So no, there isn't anything other than snot. I thought as much. I love it when I tell someone "you can't speak without doing X, can you?" and then they do X to prove it. You sound as if you are wearing a suit of armour a foot thick.
  • Options
    Dynamo said:

Alphabet letters are best enjoyed in a sweet, tomato-based sauce, superheated and stored in a tin until consumed.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952

Hustings at 7. Here is the Sun's stream; others will be available.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Teb-e7DkcT8

Thanks for the warning.
    It's a lovely evening. Shame to waste it.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,592
    ydoethur said:

Chris said:

rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

rcs1000 said:

Are you suggesting the site administrator is insane?

Because if so, you're taking an even bigger risk than the Radiohead dissers.
    "I'm not saying we won't get our hair mussed, maybe 10 to 20 million killed, tops depending on the breaks..."

https://youtu.be/EcK6ad_t9ak

• Options
    ydoethur said:

Beto using language like that warrants a self defence plea in Texas when the mother****** blows his head off.
  • Options
    Dynamo said:

Dynamo said:

Dynamo said:

So no, there isn't anything other than snot. I thought as much. I love it when I tell someone "you can't speak without doing X, can you?" and then they do X to prove it. You sound as if you are wearing a suit of armour a foot thick.
    Those peculiar wilted greens won't save your soul
  • Options
    Germany is now also joining the UK training programme for Ukrainian soldiers, for a total of 8 countries contributing in addition to the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-and-allies-agree-expanded-international-fund-for-ukraine-support

At least Ben Wallace is still at work.
  • Options

Play a game with friends. Called First Night in Heaven. The premise is you get through the Pearly Gates, but suspect there has been an admin mix up that will be rectified in the morning. Which dead artist would you see that (possibly only) night in Heaven?

For me, tough call between Bob Marley and Professor Longhair.
    MM, check this chap out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAitUpNYYDM
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

SCORCHIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOO

OO

oooooooOOOOOH

Ah, I'm jealous!

My Cornish family are now universally COMPLAINING about the heat. This is unprecedented
    Meanwhile the temperature in MD has come down to a very pleasant 88F - barely over 30C
  • Options

Dynamo said:

Alphabet letters are best enjoyed in a sweet, tomato-based sauce, superheated and stored in a tin until consumed.
    I really used to like alphabetti spaghetti. I also loved Heinz's macaroni cheese - it seems to have changed. All the baked bean tins were pretty good too - even the beans with mini burgers.

I have eaten at some pretty swanky Italian restaurants, and some obscure and totally stunning ones too. I think though that Heinz's macaroni cheese (with whatever recipe they used in the 70s) would be my favourite ever pasta dish in terms of total enjoyment at that time and place.
  • Options

Not enormously. no. I will listen to almost anything if it is presented to me - my iTunes library is ridiculously eclectic, from Gregorian chants to Philip Glass to the Entire Works of Busted - but I would not seek out that genre
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,671
    edited August 2022
    Omnium said:

Dynamo said:

I really used to like alphabetti spaghetti. I also loved Heinz's macaroni cheese - it seems to have changed. All the baked bean tins were pretty good too - even the beans with mini burgers.

I have eaten at some pretty swanky Italian restaurants, and some obscure and totally stunning ones too. I think though that Heinz's macaroni cheese (with whatever recipe they used in the 70s) would be my favourite ever pasta dish in terms of total enjoyment at that time and place.
    The funny thing is that that stuff at that time, the Heinz tinned macaroni, had an emetic effect on me. I could never keep it down. And no, that wasn't a matter of what I drank with it.

Glad to hear the recipe has changed - but I daren't even try now.
  • Options
    OK, I'm gonna have to go to the gym JUST FOR THE AIRCON

Later
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    Leon said:

Later

I'd rather spend time wandering around a supermarket chillzone, no judgement for doing nothing there.
  • Options
    edited August 2022

Germany is now also joining the UK training programme for Ukrainian soldiers, for a total of 8 countries contributing in addition to the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-and-allies-agree-expanded-international-fund-for-ukraine-support

Future Deputy PM Ben Wallace perhaps

(not that that role realistically is more important)

It's kind of weird how much we are in a proxy war, just with oddly clear boundaries of what we won't do.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Dynamo said:

The funny thing is that that stuff at that time, the Heinz tinned macaroni, had an emetic effect on me. I could never keep it down. And no, that wasn't a matter of what I drank with it.

Glad to hear the recipe has changed - but I daren't even try now.
    Well if you see tins of ancient Heinz fiendishness changing hands on ebay for millions you'll know who the buyer is. (I genuinely would pay 100 quid to have a fresh tin of the stuff with the 1970's recipe - just to see if that taste was still available, or whether my taste buds have changed.) Not buying old tins though!
  • Options
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

EVERYONE IS THIRSTY

Bingo.

Aaaaaand no. Just no
    One thing they have in abundance here in Spain is Radler. Choose your favourite beer (Mmmmm Mahou 5 Star), cut the strength a lot and add strong lemonade. The brilliant session beer for a hot day.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Wow. Whilst I don't generally approve of speaking so even to a (presumed) opponent or idiot, sometimes it is positive to see a very genuine, unpolished human reaction from a politician (see also Jenkins explaining how she snapped for second when she flipped off those protestors).
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    Leon said:

Not enormously. no. I will listen to almost anything if it is presented to me - my iTunes library is ridiculously eclectic, from Gregorian chants to Philip Glass to the Entire Works of Busted - but I would not seek out that genre
    What about Charlie Simpson's solo stuff?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Later

I'd rather spend time wandering around a supermarket chillzone, no judgement for doing nothing there.
    Yeah but in the gym you get stared at by gay men
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Future Deputy PM Ben Wallace perhaps

(not that that role realistically is more important)

It's kind of weird how much we are in a proxy war, just with oddly clear boundaries of what we won't do.
    It's similar to the other proxy wars. Russia is fully comitted and losing horribly, the US was fully commited and lost horribly in VietNam. In both cases the support of 'neutral' proxy nations influenced the wars substantially. I'm not sure that the principal forces at work in these conflicts were the proxy-combatants though.

I expect Russia to lose this war and lose it with substantial wounds.

• Options
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Later

It may be my lack of confidence but I fear I would not attract enticing stares.
  • Options
    https://summit.news/2022/08/08/head-of-the-lancets-covid-19-investigation-is-convinced-it-came-out-of-a-lab/

This is extremely damning on Covid.

It seems highly likely now that Covid was engineered to be more deadly by US scientists, then released, whether by accident or, God forbid, design.

The committee overseeing this research is anonymous and totally unnacountable to the legislature in the US.

Whether released deliberately or by accident, this is a crime that has taken 6 million lives, and has cost economies countless billions. It dwarves any misdemeanours committed by any country since the middle part of the last century.

We need to establish if this is true, and if it is, the USA needs to be sued back into the stone age.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Later

Are you sure you are not flattering yourself?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,671
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Later

You don't in the supermarket of an evening? Remarkable in Islington.
  • Options

https://summit.news/2022/08/08/head-of-the-lancets-covid-19-investigation-is-convinced-it-came-out-of-a-lab/

It seems highly likely now that Covid was engineered to be more deadly by US scientists, then released, whether by accident or, God forbid, design.

The committee overseeing this research is anonymous and totally unnacountable to the legislature in the US.

Whether released deliberately or by accident, this is a crime that has taken 6 million lives, and has cost economies countless billions. It dwarves any misdemeanours committed by any country since the middle part of the last century.

We need to establish if this is true, and if it is, the USA needs to be sued back into the stone age.

Leaving aside any other point, I thought most states enjoyed something called sovereign immunity and as such could not be sued. And would only be subject to an international damages they agreed to. So its presumably a matter of agreed reparations if a state is forced to concede culpability?
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,913
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Later

Interesting. I always find that if I need a bit of a quick ego boost I pop to Waitrose and get perved at by the MILFs.

Must be a phenomenon as the Daily Mash even brought out their own calendar.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

I'm sure Mr Ed will be along shortly rending his garments but that was authentically powerfully from Beto.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leaving aside any other point, I thought most states enjoyed something called sovereign immunity and as such could not be sued. And would only be subject to an international damages they agreed to. So its presumably a matter of agreed reparations if a state is forced to concede culpability?
    I am not able to answer that because I don't have the legal chops.

They haven't got the money they would need to settle it anyway. They'd be paying it for generations.
  • Options

Of course it came from the lab. Of course these scientist c*nts are lying. And they’re still lying. ‘The market! The market!’

Shut up about the fucking market when 99% of overwhelming circumstantial evidence points to the fucking lab ten yards away WHICH WAS DOING DANGEROUS RESEARCH INTO NOVEL BAT CORONAVIRUSES

A fucking toddler knows it came from the lab

Urgh. It makes me quite angry. And, for once, justifiably

20 million people are dead
  • Options
    Leon said:

Of course it came from the lab. Of course these scientist c*nts are lying. And they’re still lying. ‘The market! The market!’

Shut up about the fucking market when 99% of overwhelming circumstantial evidence points to the fucking lab ten yards away WHICH WAS DOING DANGEROUS RESEARCH INTO NOVEL BAT CORONAVIRUSES

Back already? No aircon or no gays?
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,220

ydoethur said:

I'm sure Mr Ed will be along shortly rending his garments but that was authentically powerfully from Beto.
    be doing his hunter biden's laptop routine
  • Options
    Leon said:

Every country needs to demand from its politicians, what US 'biodefense' research programmes are taking place in their countries, and they need to be stopped, pdq.
  • Options
    On topic Labour's leads are modest by historic but I'm not sure how much swingback we'll see when the energy cap hits £5,000.

The Red Wall Tory MPs will be in stepmom territory.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,955
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

EVERYONE IS THIRSTY

I have dramatically cut down my alcohol consumption by drinking non-alcoholic beer.

It's like the placebo effect and opium: we are used to the impact of alcohol, and if we taste something like it, we get many of the effects without the liver damage.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,193
    Has anyone thought through what the public's response is going to be to having their energy costs doubled this autumn and then be told the power is going off every night for three hours?

I humbly submit this will be sub-optimal for Tory polling.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,167
    Leon said:

Coming from the lab consists of multiple possibilities though. Accidental release is very different from a deliberate release. Assuming that the the gain of function work was the ultimate source, was it risk assessed? Was the ethical review undertaken? Did someone fuck up? It’s not as simple as just saying it came from the lab, you must pay reparations.
  • Options

On topic Labour's leads are modest by historic but I'm not sure how much swingback we'll see when the energy cap hits £5,000.

The Red Wall Tory MPs will be in stepmom territory.

Shouldn't you tell Opinium?
  • Options

I think this is a very good point. The raw situation is not unrecoverable for the Tories in historic terms, but there are a multitude of factors - length of time in office, Red Wall support drop, cost of living, etc - which mean that while it cannot be guaranteed they cannot recover, it will not be easy and blithe assumptions they will autoamtically are pinning a lot on that hope.
This discussion has been closed.