Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The leadership betting remains stable in spite of developments – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited August 2022 in General
imageThe leadership betting remains stable in spite of developments – politicalbetting.com

The above betting chart shows just how stable the betting has become with Truss barely moving off a 90% chance since the start of the month.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    Erm. Cough. Cough. I agree totally Mike. I posted very early on in this contest that Truss will be a disaster and face a leadership challenge next summer.

• Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,006
    The structure would make sense in an election where the choice was less clear and you wanted to test their mettle, but the choice between the two has somehow ended up very clear. Bizarrely I agree with Andrew Lilico in so far as he says Sunak's remaining in the race is just making Truss offer hostages to fortune.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,988
    Will anyone be placing any new bets on this competition to see who is the most useless?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115

Erm. Cough. Cough. I agree totally Mike. I posted very early on in this contest that Truss will be a disaster and face a leadership challenge next summer.

Sooner perhaps. If Wallace can be persuaded in a coronation.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,803
    EPG said:

The structure would make sense in an election where the choice was less clear and you wanted to test their mettle, but the choice between the two has somehow ended up very clear. Bizarrely I agree with Andrew Lilico in so far as he says Sunak's remaining in the race is just making Truss offer hostages to fortune.

No one is making Truss do anything . If she wants to promise the moon on a stick that’s her problem .
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854
    This is basically what Michelle Dewberry was saying last evening but the angle was more about the "damage" it was doing to the Conservative Party.

The 1922 set the rules and the timetable - is there an argument for something shorter?

The 2015 LD leadership election lasted from May 8th to July 16th so just over two months. Johnson resigned on 7th July and the result will be September 5th so comparable.

If you have membership involvement and hustings and rallies for party groups it all takes time - it's called democracy. There's an argument for disenfranchising the membership if you want a quick result but as we're likely to see here, the choice of the MPs doesn't always reflect the choice of the Party membership.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,233
    I would be astonished if Truss did not lead the Tories into the next election.

Boris Johnson, for all his many faults, managed to last three years and won a general election before accumulating sufficient political damage to see him defenestrated.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    edited August 2022
    It's so cool how all the people who knew Truss would be crap have already been proven right before she's even taken office. Especially given her years of largely smooth competency in a variety of high-profile Cabinet roles.

For what it's worth, I expect I'll vote Sunak, but I don't think Truss will be a poor PM - albeit given the exceptionally difficult period we're facing, it might be easy to argue after the fact that she was. However, I do agree that her current difficulties indicate she is likely to prove a poor campaigner, and I am expecting Starmer to be PM following the next GE.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,191
    Even though Liz and Rishi are the biggest disaster of all time I am still not feeling the national enthusiasm for Keir 👍
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,147
    NETFLIX RECOMMENDATION

For a dark, moody, sexy, witty, stirring period drama, try BECOMING ELIZABETH

It's about the children of the recently dead Henry VIII - Edward, Mary, Elizabeth - and how they jostle for power and/or try to save themselves. It's really good, and smart
  • Options
    Are we seriously suggesting the Conservative Party, having effectively defenestrated their last three leaders would oust a fourth before said leader had even faced the electorate?

Is there any modern precedent for a Prime Minister to be installed without a General Election and to be ousted without having contested a General Election as Prime Minister? I can't think of one since 1918 - might have been one earlier of course.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,988

Well, I've voted for Rishi.

Done my bit for your 250-1 shot. Sadly, going to be a losing bet because ...God knows why. Truss is an order of magnitude poorer on every metric.

Given the quality of the electorate in this contest, poorer equals more electable.
  • Options
    Betfair next prime minister
    1.11 Liz Truss 90%
    9.6 Rishi Sunak 10%

Next Conservative leader
    1.11 Liz Truss 90%
    9.6 Rishi Sunak 10%
  • Options

Even though Liz and Rishi are the biggest disaster of all time I am still not feeling the national enthusiasm for Keir 👍

It seems after six months of Truss (in Liz we Truss as the Express put it this morning) we will be begging Starmer to take over and save us all.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Are we seriously suggesting the Conservative Party, having effectively defenestrated their last three leaders would oust a fourth before said leader had even faced the electorate?

Is there any modern precedent for a Prime Minister to be installed without a General Election and to be ousted without having contested a General Election as Prime Minister? I can't think of one since 1918 - might have been one earlier of course.

Neville Chamberlain.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Why shouldn't they? It puts to the sword the lie that people elect a Prime Minister at a general election. OK so you voted for strong and stable David Cameron and instead of chaos with Ed Milliband we've had multiple changes of PM and an extra election. But that doesn't mean there isn't time for *another* change of PM. Because fuck you plebs.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

EPG said:

No one is making Truss do anything . If she wants to promise the moon on a stick that’s her problem .
    At the margin, it is easier to devise and advocate for policies when you have the power and patronage of the PM's office than when you are roaming from Telford to Wallsend defending yourself from a desperate rival.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,993
    stodge said:

Neville Chamberlain, though he resigned rather than was ousted
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    Leon said:

NETFLIX RECOMMENDATION

It's about the children of the recently dead Henry VIII - Edward, Mary, Elizabeth - and how they jostle for power and/or try to save themselves. It's really good, and smart

Thanks, will add it to the list (!)

Have you seen Thirteen Lives? Very good imo, despite some dodgy (well awful) British regional accent attempts.

Aside from being a cracking good tale, it's a telling reminder of the enormous soft power influence that Britain still wields (despite Tory attempts to trash it).
  • Options

stodge said:

Neville Chamberlain.
    Of course - something for Liz Truss to ponder, perhaps?
  • Options
    At the end of the day the summer campaign is a good thing as it shows how both candidates perform in public and out on the road.

Compare May and Brown's coronations and how that turned out for them at the next general election
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Er... Johnson resigned too. Was he not ousted in your opinion?

May resigned too... Thatcher resigned too... you can see where this is going.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,720
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

That's an excellent precedent, isn't it?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

At the end of the day the summer campaign is a good thing as it shows how both candidates perform in public and out on the road.

Compare May and Brown's coronations and how that turned out for them at the next general election

You'd better wait for the next election (assuming Truss gets there) before declaring too much credit for the 'summer campaign'.
  • Options
    edited August 2022

HYUFD said:

You'd better wait for the next election (assuming Truss gets there) before declaring too much credit for the 'summer campaign'.
    The summer campaign of 2019 facing Hunt certainly worked for Boris in preparing him for the next general election which he won
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Just discovered I've got a £10 bet on Rubio to be the GOP nominee with Ladbrokes. Ah well.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    non sequitur could be my middle names.
    But, thinking of music, this is a fine example of raw masculine genius:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccyHT1sFmsg
  • Options
    EPG said:

nico679 said:

EPG said:

At the margin, it is easier to devise and advocate for policies when you have the power and patronage of the PM's office than when you are roaming from Telford to Wallsend defending yourself from a desperate rival.
    Do you think at this point Truss offering serious deliverable policy proposals (e.g. no tax cuts until the deficit is down) would cost her the election?

No me neither. One can only assume that she believes in fantasy economics.

This won't end well. For the nation.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,231

Done my bit for your 250-1 shot. Sadly, going to be a losing bet because ...God knows why. Truss is an order of magnitude poorer on every metric.

We don't need God's help here. Unfortunately your party has an inbuilt majority who hear only what they want to hear, not what they need to hear. And they want to hear what Truss is telling them, regardless of the fact it bears no resemblance to reality.
  • Options
    edited August 2022

Leon said:

NETFLIX RECOMMENDATION

Thanks, will add it to the list (!)

Have you seen Thirteen Lives? Very good imo, despite some dodgy (well awful) British regional accent attempts.

Aside from being a cracking good tale, it's a telling reminder of the enormous soft power influence that Britain still wields (despite Tory attempts to trash it).
    Yes, I watched it the other night - 13 lives - really enjoyed it

It is like an advert for stoical, laconic Britishness. And Ron Howard is still an excellent storyteller

SPOILER COMING:

Mind you, he had good material. What a remarkable story! I had no idea they anesthetised the Thai boys
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Counterpoint: John Major was installed in about a week and he did OK at the subsequent election.

Also- what we've seen of Truss is that she is pretty poor- big ideas are proposed and withdrawn because the public misunderstood them, foolish stuff is said into still-live microphones. It hasn't affected the state of the race, because the relevant electorate Just Don't Want Rishi.
  • Options
    The main problem with the Tory leadership campaign is that it is now completely bloody boring, and no one is gonna change their minds at this point, not even in Helsinki. Truss has won and continued bickering just damages the Tories overall. Not that many people are paying any attention

They should find a way to truncate it. Move on
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

We don't need God's help here. Unfortunately your party has an inbuilt majority who hear only what they want to hear, not what they need to hear. And they want to hear what Truss is telling them, regardless of the fact it bears no resemblance to reality.
    It's interesting that AFAIK none of the self-declared PB Tory members on here except Barty (is he even a member?) are voting for Truss.

Much as I deeply disagree with PB Tories on most topics I totally respect that they represent the small and ever-diminishing 'sane wing' of the Tory party.
  • Options
    stodge said:

stodge said:

Neville Chamberlain.
    Will a world war oust Truss before the general election?

I've been feeling pessimistic recently and I think China will invade/blockade Taiwan and then the world gets a little bit more screwed up.
  • Options
    Being all woke, I love to see a girl cover Cat Stevens and a guy cover Tina Turner

• Options

ydoethur said:

It's interesting that AFAIK none of the self-declared PB Tory members on here except Barty (is he even a member?) are voting for Truss.

Much as I deeply disagree with PB Tories on most topics I totally respect that they represent the small and ever-diminishing 'sane wing' of the Tory party.
    I think Mortimer has voted for her.
  • Options

stodge said:

stodge said:

Neville Chamberlain.
    Will a world war oust Truss before the general election?

I've been feeling pessimistic recently and I think China will invade/blockade Taiwan and then the world gets a little bit more screwed up.
    I doubt that would make much difference here, the US, Japanese, Indian and Australian response would be key. The UK's rather less so. Ukraine is on our continent, Taiwan isn't. Since we gave back Hong Kong we have no direct interest in the Far East
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The summer campaign of 2019 facing Hunt certainly worked for Boris in preparing him for the next general election which he won
    To be fair, the ComRes poll in mid June had already ended the leadership election as a serious contest. Only Boris Johnson, of all the candidates, could get the Conservatives a majority and that was enough.

Johnson was an excellent campaigner - he had shown that in the London Mayoral election. I doubted he needed much preparation for the GE campaign - it's also much easier to campaign when you have a clear poll lead and your opponents are in disarray.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942

ydoethur said:

I have.

That Corp tax rise has to go. That NI rise has to go.

I don't want someone that Roger thinks of like Tony Blair as a Tory leader....
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Like Boris Johnson, Theresa May and Margaret Thatcher, then.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334
    Mortimer said:

ydoethur said:

I have.

Are you sure he meant it as a compliment? :)
  • Options
    Before/after overlays of the airfield and lost aircraft:

https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1557452163844022275
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Leon said:

Alistair said:

460k of turnover, 16 million costs in 2020

In 2017 91k turnover, 3 million costs.

W3W downloads, in millions:

2018 1.4
    2019 4.8
    2020 11.8
    2021 30.2

You have now bitterly criticised What 3 Words for multiple entirely different rationales, 1. that it is only doing something Google Maps already does., or 2. because it is rubbish and no better than a folding map, compass and protactor and pencil, and monocle, or 3. That it is a brutally litigious company and evil, or 4. That they stole the original idea ANYWAY, and now we have 5. That it is tiny and failing and makes no profit so nurr

This is not a logical response, some of these are contradictory. This is pure emotion

I can only conclude you are a Jealous Tech Bro, consumed with envy that you didn't think of this, and lashing out thereby
    In a nutshell, this attitude espoused by Alistair is why the UK has so few tech champions and America so many.

To my mind w3w is a good idea executed imperfectly, but then again so was Gmail when it launched, the first iPhone was a pile of wank and AWS was completely useless when it launched. In Alistair's world if you don't get it right first time don't bother, and that seems to be the attitude of both UK investors and management.

The US seems to have a much better handle on seeing the end goal and eventual profitability and valuation of tech companies than we do. If w3w was American it would be worth 10x as much and iterated the product 10x faster.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288

Boris Johnson, for all his many faults, managed to last three years and won a general election before accumulating sufficient political damage to see him defenestrated.

I'm not so sure. There are several differences:

1) Boris won a GE and by a huge margin compared to past Conservative performance for many years.

2) Boris had huge charisma.

3) Boris was still performing respectably in opinion polls compared to typical mid term performance.

Truss doesn't have 1) or 2). And it's entirely possible she won't have 3) either.

Two years is a long time. If she performs badly, is miles behind in the polls and shows no signs of any improvement then she stands every chance of being booted out next summer.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150

Being all woke, I love to see a girl cover Cat Stevens and a guy cover Tina Turner

Since you're a bit of a wordsmith I'm wondering about your use of "cover".

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,058

In financial terms, is that a bigger loss for Russia than the Moskva?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987

When you say "girl", what exactly do you mean?
  • Options
    MikeL said:

1) Boris won a GE and by a huge margin compared to past Conservative performance for many years.

3) Boris was still performing respectably in opinion polls compared to typical mid term performance.

Truss doesn't have 1) or 2). And it's entirely possible she won't have 3) either.
    Truss has personality, which combined with the aura of office could be just as useful electorally.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,418
    Mortimer said:

ydoethur said:

I have.

Truss will be a plodder, but effective imo. She will surprise a lot on the upside.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

ydoethur said:

I have.

Truss will be a plodder, but effective imo. She will surprise a lot on the upside.
    Any upside would surprise me tbf.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

ydoethur said:

I have.

Reading the comments here she can hardly surprise on the downside.

• Options
    NEW: 🇬🇧 to send another 3 multiple rocket launchers to #Ukraine Ben Wallace tells BBC -“doubling” number of U.K. MLRS/M270s supplied along with “substantial” numbers of missiles Ben Wallace says asked Ukraine to use them wisely - and he says they have

https://twitter.com/bealejonathan/status/1557469165627260933
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Every Tory leader since Baldwin has been ousted, or resigned for health reasons just before they would have been removed anyway. And Baldwin was in such danger of being overthrown at one point the Times set up a leader in proof announcing his resignation.

And two of his three immediate predecessors suffered the same fate.

Since Salisbury retired in 1902 leaders of the Conservative Party have usually not ended well, no matter who or what they were.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

ydoethur said:

I have.

She could be 1000% better than her record suggests and still be a realistic contender to oust Johnson and Goderich in the 'worst PM of all time' stakes.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Since you're a bit of a wordsmith I'm wondering about your use of "cover".

Just people copying songs. Nothing more
  • Options
    pm215pm215 Posts: 936
    MaxPB said:

To my mind w3w is a good idea executed imperfectly, but then again so was Gmail when it launched, the first iPhone was a pile of wank and AWS was completely useless when it launched. In Alistair's world if you don't get it right first time don't bother, and that seems to be the attitude of both UK investors and management.

This is more like "if you don't get it right over the course of nine years don't bother", though... Gmail, iPhone and AWS all demonstrated that they could move from "cool idea with promise" to "clearly profitable winning product and business model" in that timeframe.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Mortimer said:

ydoethur said:

I have.

FWIW I think Sunak is now playing the 'I told you so' vote in 2025 after Truss loses power and Cons are looking for an opposition leader.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    edited August 2022
    ISIS Beatle arrested at Luton Airport.
    After being deported from Turkey after serving sentence.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

2018 1.4
    2019 4.8
    2020 11.8
    2021 30.2

You have now bitterly criticised What 3 Words for multiple entirely different rationales, 1. that it is only doing something Google Maps already does., or 2. because it is rubbish and no better than a folding map, compass and protactor and pencil, and monocle, or 3. That it is a brutally litigious company and evil, or 4. That they stole the original idea ANYWAY, and now we have 5. That it is tiny and failing and makes no profit so nurr

This is not a logical response, some of these are contradictory. This is pure emotion

I can only conclude you are a Jealous Tech Bro, consumed with envy that you didn't think of this, and lashing out thereby
    In a nutshell, this attitude espoused by Alistair is why the UK has so few tech champions and America so many.

The US seems to have a much better handle on seeing the end goal and eventual profitability and valuation of tech companies than we do. If w3w was American it would be worth 10x as much and iterated the product 10x faster.
    Yes, quite. It's a kind of Tall Poppy syndrome, and as dispiriting as it is perplexing. There are similar W3W haters on Twitter, nearly all tech geeks who haven't quite made it

We often lament that the UK has not produced a Google, Apple or Amazon; well here is a British-designed, London-HQ'd start-up with a superb central idea, and the potential to become absolutely massive, maybe not an Apple but certainly an Uber. Remember that Amazon started as a bookseller. Online book selling. That was THEIR big idea. But they scaled and scaled

And how do many react to W3W, which has a much better idea than bookselling? With sneers, critiques and weird hatred. WTF

Luckily, many in Britain and elsewhere ignore the naysayers. I am right now reading that London is now attracting more FDI into tech than any other city on earth
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I mean a girl who recorded a song called "God Is A Woman"

She might not be sure
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Every Tory leader since Baldwin has been ousted, or resigned for health reasons just before they would have been removed anyway. And Baldwin was in such danger of being overthrown at one point the Times set up a leader in proof announcing his resignation.

Since Salisbury retired in 1902 leaders of the Conservative Party have usually not ended well, no matter who or what they were.
    Yeah. Pretty much all of them are dead.
  • Options

geoffw said:

Mortimer said:

ydoethur said:

I have.

FWIW I think Sunak is now playing the 'I told you so' vote in 2025 after Truss loses power and Cons are looking for an opposition leader.
    Not a tactic to make himself popular.

• Options

geoffw said:

Mortimer said:

ydoethur said:

I have.

Won't happen. Parties going into opposition nearly always retreat to their comfort zones. Heath was an exception. Thatcher was also an exception, in that she was definitely red meat for the right wing but also successful in getting power. I don't see Badenoch having the same attraction to swing voters.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,611
    geoffw said:

Mortimer said:

ydoethur said:

I have.

She is energetic, so the random policy generator will be turbo-charged.

It is possible that she may be in luck though. Both German and US inflation figures were better this month. A turn or just a pause? Time will tell.

I see too that Germany has announced €10billion in tax cuts to help families. Higher personal allowances, increased children's allowances and raising of thresholds to curb fiscal drag. Lizzy take note.
  • Options

The Cat Stevens song is a proper guilty pleasure - nice tune, sneery misogynistic lyrics.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

And most of them in that cadaverous state would still do better than Johnson has or Truss will.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,426
    edited August 2022
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

David Cameron (pbuh) wasn't ousted nor resigned for health reasons.

IIRC he is the only Prime Minister to resign when leading in the polls.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    I come on here for a bit of light relief while drinking a cider before bed, and what do I find instead... you're all talking about w3w.

Online location is kind of my thing (I'm keynoting a conference next week if anyone fancies a few days in Florence...). w3w has seen a vast amount of, IMO justified, scepticism from people in the field. I won't bore you with all the details because I would rather be drinking my cider, but the crux of it all is that it's a copyrighted algorithm, therefore w3w are within their rights to charge for use of it. Going all-in on w3w, then finding that they decide to start charging for use of it a few years down the road - probably not end-users, but major clients such as courier companies - is not a good thing.

If you look at their published accounts (as plenty of people have done) they are verging on the delusional. Turnover is £458,000. Annual loss: £16m. I believe that's technically known as "burning money".

Ultimately the £16m comes from the VCs who've invested in w3w (as did the £14m the year before, and the year before that, and...). VCs do not invest without some idea of their exit strategy. w3w is evidently not going to be profitable in its own right any time soon. The only exit that makes any sense is a sale to someone with deep pockets. There are only a small number of companies who I can see being interested - Google, Facebook, and perhaps most likely, Amazon. Mmm, a copyrighted location system controlled by Amazon. What could possibly go wrong.

Anyway, booze.
  • Options
    DynamoDynamo Posts: 651
    stodge said:

I'm rooting for the parliamentary party to tell her she's lost their confidence before voting has even finished :)

Those who are in a position to consider removing a prime minister don't think to themselves "We can't do it before the next election because there's no precedent for that, given that they were installed without fighting one, and even less so given that they took office on the same day of the week as Andrew Bonar Law."
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,942
  • Options

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

True, except insofar as having lost a referendum he would have been in short order.

Incidentally the sturgeon moon is nearly to the full, and mighty impressive it is too. Must be near its perigee to be that large.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

geoffw said:

Mortimer said:

ydoethur said:

I have.

It is possible that she may be in luck though. Both German and US inflation figures were better this month. A turn or just a pause? Time will tell.

I see too that Germany has announced €10billion in tax cuts to help families. Higher personal allowances, increased children's allowances and raising of thresholds to curb fiscal drag. Lizzy take note.
    What odds a turbo-charged random policy generator beats an empty suit?

• Options
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

2018 1.4
    2019 4.8
    2020 11.8
    2021 30.2

Yes, quite. It's a kind of Tall Poppy syndrome, and as dispiriting as it is perplexing. There are similar W3W haters on Twitter, nearly all tech geeks who haven't quite made it

We often lament that the UK has not produced a Google, Apple or Amazon; well here is a British-designed, London-HQ'd start-up with a superb central idea, and the potential to become absolutely massive, maybe not an Apple but certainly an Uber. Remember that Amazon started as a bookseller. Online book selling. That was THEIR big idea. But they scaled and scaled

And how do many react to W3W, which has a much better idea than bookselling? With sneers, critiques and weird hatred. WTF

Luckily, many in Britain and elsewhere ignore the naysayers. I am right now reading that London is now attracting more FDI into tech than any other city on earth
    You are joking. Uber's value proposition is that they have liquidity in big urban markets around the world. w3w's proposition is that it makes life slightly easier for Scottish mountain rescue and Gambian delivery men. It would have been an amazing idea if nobody had invented location services.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,377

Abundant, frequent (multiple passes per day), cheap satellite imagery is changing warfare.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I mean a girl who recorded a song called "God Is A Woman"

She might not be sure
    It would actually blow the minds of the American religious right if they realised in the original Hebrew of the Torah God is non-binary.
  • Options

Abundant, frequent (multiple passes per day), cheap satellite imagery is changing warfare.
    They can run but they can't hide.

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

So being "sick as a parrot" doesn't count as a health reason?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

So being "sick as a parrot" doesn't count as a health reason?
    It was something he eight.
  • Options
    Is it me or is Gordo everywhere at the moment?

Something is very afoot.

• Options

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Though he didn't win that poll the day before he resigned.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    EPG said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

2018 1.4
    2019 4.8
    2020 11.8
    2021 30.2

You are joking. Uber's value proposition is that they have liquidity in big urban markets around the world. w3w's proposition is that it makes life slightly easier for Scottish mountain rescue and Gambian delivery men. It would have been an amazing idea if nobody had invented location services.
    May I direct you, an idiot, to this 3 sq m home for idiots near Lake Athabasca, in remote Saskatchewan, Canada

https://what3words.com/lacking.imagination.dude

This is yet one more reason why What3Words is, I suspect, going to succeed. It is going to be fun to play with for millions of people. 3 words. What do YOUR 3 words say?

People in tech are not known for their creative imagination, to put it kindly

• Options
    dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Even still, their skeletal remains might be preferable to the options currently available.

Talking of which, does ADH (lost, but somehow forgiven and allowed to be a fairly reasonable Foreign Secretary afterwards) have the best "I was Conservative leader and survived" story to tell?
  • Options
    Leon said:

EPG said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

2018 1.4
    2019 4.8
    2020 11.8
    2021 30.2

May I direct you, an idiot, to this 3 sq m home for idiots near Lake Athabasca, in remote Saskatchewan, Canada

This is yet one more reason why What3Words is, I suspect, going to succeed. It is going to be fun to play with for millions of people. 3 words. What do YOUR 3 words say?

People in tech are not know for their creative imagination, to put it kindly

You will have a new obsession that's fun to play with by Friday. So much for the value proposition.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

MikeL said:

Truss has personality, which combined with the aura of office could be just as useful electorally.
    To me she seems like a robot chuntering softhead 80s throwback soundbites. I think you're confusing her frequent malfunctions for personality.
  • Options
    Leon said:

EPG said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

2018 1.4
    2019 4.8
    2020 11.8
    2021 30.2

In the sea with you my friend. ;)

https://what3words.com/tiresome.daylong.enthusiasm
  • Options
    The first iPhone completely changed the smartphone industry. It was not a pile of wank - I had one.

All this stuff about apps is all in hindsight, if anyone actually used a feature phone at the time you’ll know it had nothing. The UI was terrible and a ringtone cost like £5.

Was the first iPhone perfect, no. And the 3G was a big improvement. But it was not a pile of wank.

I was one of the earliest Gmail testers. It was also not a pile of wank.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,185
    Leon said:

EPG said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

2018 1.4
    2019 4.8
    2020 11.8
    2021 30.2

Big bugbear for me this - the idea that scientists and ‘people in tech’ are not creative. Utter rubbish. Where do you think the tech comes from? It doesn’t just happen. Really smart people have ideas and then make stuff happen.

Creativity isn’t just writing trash airport fiction, however lucrative that can be.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

MikeL said:

To me she seems like a robot chuntering softhead 80s throwback soundbites. I think you're confusing her frequent malfunctions for personality.
    Quite honestly if it weren’t for the gaffes I’d put her on charisma levels of Brown
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

EPG said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

2018 1.4
    2019 4.8
    2020 11.8
    2021 30.2

In the sea with you my friend. ;)

https://what3words.com/tiresome.daylong.enthusiasm
    hahaha

See, tho, it is fun. This is one reason people are embracing it, and I don't think techie types quite understand that

• Options
    edited August 2022

dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Even still, their skeletal remains might be preferable to the options currently available.

Talking of which, does ADH (lost, but somehow forgiven and allowed to be a fairly reasonable Foreign Secretary afterwards) have the best "I was Conservative leader and survived" story to tell?
    Probably but then Home was always an Eton and Christ Church educated aristocrat who sacrificed his seat in the Lords to join the Commons and then serve his country as PM. He was never so vulgar as to openly want the job
  • Options
    Has anyone ever been legitimately offended by "Guys and Girls" as M/F identifiers?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

geoffw said:

Mortimer said:

ydoethur said:

I have.

Won't happen. Parties going into opposition nearly always retreat to their comfort zones. Heath was an exception. Thatcher was also an exception, in that she was definitely red meat for the right wing but also successful in getting power. I don't see Badenoch having the same attraction to swing voters.
    And even if the Conservatives can avoid Badenoch (or someone else who really wishes they could be a US Republican), the next Conservative leader won't be a direct "I told you so", because nobody wants to admit that they were told. Look at how badly Hunt crashed and burned this time round. Ben Wallace (or someone like Ben Wallace) maybe, but not Sunak.

But the spiral of "they can't get any more bonkers, can they?" feels like it has further it could go.
  • Options
    edited August 2022

Has anyone ever been legitimately offended by "Guys and Girls" as M/F identifiers?

Legitimately is doing a lot of work here, but yes, I think it's be unacceptable on some online communities. - oh you mean not offending the non-binaries? I think the distinction is pretty dismissive-feeling to some women.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,445
    Leon said:

EPG said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

2018 1.4
    2019 4.8
    2020 11.8
    2021 30.2

I rather like w3w. When I lost my wallet last week the finder sent me a w3w location of the spot to meet him to effect its return.
    But that was the first time I've ever used it and the old fashioned vague description would probably have worked just as well. I'm not entirely sure what vital niche it fills. It's an admirably creative solution to a problem I personally have never had.
    But I suppose lots of things fall into that category. Things don't have to be useful to me personally in order to be useful.
  • Options

Leon said:

EPG said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

2018 1.4
    2019 4.8
    2020 11.8
    2021 30.2

Big bugbear for me this - the idea that scientists and ‘people in tech’ are not creative. Utter rubbish. Where do you think the tech comes from? It doesn’t just happen. Really smart people have ideas and then make stuff happen.

Creativity isn’t just writing trash airport fiction, however lucrative that can be.
    OK, I'll rephrase. They are not known for their "imaginative emotional intelligence"

Three words is a genius way of describing every single 3 sq m place on earth. Three words!!

https://what3words.com/lakes.flames.riots
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,185
    Kind of odd that this story isn’t more prominent?

https://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-62492374
  • Options
    W3W surely ripe for an acquisition. Apple would like it
  • Options

It is when you see the satellite image, then programme three little words into the targeting computer - and within minutes, obliterate everything within 50 metres. Fired from several hundred kilometres away. Now we can see the accuracy of those Ukrainian weapons from their impact craters, no Russian stockpiles or defensive formations are safe.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,611
    geoffw said:

Foxy said:

geoffw said:

Mortimer said:

ydoethur said:

I have.

What odds a turbo-charged random policy generator beats an empty suit?

Quite possible.
This discussion has been closed.