Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Remember Truss was 3rd place amongst CON MPs – politicalbetting.com

1234568»

Comments

• DynamoDynamo Posts: 651
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Liz Truss to move the start of the university year from September to January to ensure all top students get Oxbridge interviews

https://twitter.com/whazell/status/1556002448178831360?s=20&t=GoHgb_k4e4jGQrTqE14EuQ

I would be interested to know what all the other universities in the country think about this.
    They know their place
    https://twitter.com/whazell/status/1556004424325242881

Of course, you are stuck in the idea that only classics or history of art or PPE degrees from Cowley Poly count.
    They do STEM degrees too but Oxford and Cambridge are the best universities in the country and thos will ensure all those with straight A*s at A level get a chance to go to them even if they don't get through the interview and go elsewhere
    "best" - chimpanzee bollocks. That is meaningless, because it is correlated with size. But a student only does one degree at a time in one department. And the rankings are much less stable when that is taken into account.
    Oxford 2nd and Cambridge 3rd in the QS world university rankings.

Next best UK universities are Imperial at 7th and UCL at 8th

https://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2022
    You're missing the point that I made, as always - that is an artificial construct which no student enjoys. The picture based on actual courses is different.
    That QS university ranking is quite something. The highest EU university is a French one at 44. 44th! The highest ranked German university is 50. You can't find an Italian uni til you get to 141. The best uni in Spain is 168th. Shockingly bad
    Though Switzerland has 1 in the top 10 and 1 in the top 20.
    If UCL and Imperial had been allowed to merge, the resultant entity - which would probably soon have gobbled up the LSE - would have shot to no.1 place in Europe and quite possibly the world.

But oh no, we can't have that...
    HYUFD said:

France's elite ENA (now INSP) finishing school for top civil servants and captains of industry where Macron and Chirac went would also likely make the top 10. However it is not technically a university

The ENA now INSP is postgrad. Sciences Po has thousands of undergrads as well as postgrads and is arguably more important. Since the beginning of the Fifth Republic, EVERY president and EVERY losing candidate in the second round has gone to Sciences Po, with the only exceptions being De Gaulle (creator of the Fifth Republic and refounder of the SP, so an obvious special case) and two characters sharing the surname "Le Pen".
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,206
    edited August 2022

Leon said:

CatMan said:

Roger said:

A fun article by Alastair Campbell's daughter about sex in Las Vegas (and elsewhere)

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/aug/06/sex-positive-comedy-las-vegas-rape?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Fun? She got raped
    Hmm. She'd have a very hard time getting a jury to convict, with that story
    She knows that, as she writes, yet it seems pretty obvious that she was, in fact, raped.

Bill Gates is a famous philanthropist, known for his intention to give the vast majority of his fortune away. Yet, if he were to report a mugging no-one would use his philanthropy against him, and all whether he'd simply given his possessions away.

Why can't we trust a woman to know when she has, or has not, consented to sex?
    Er, for the very good reason that the man may have an entirely different memory of events, and who is to say which is right? Plus, she was drunk off her tits, and half asleep, and had already consented to pretty wild casual sex, in a stairwell, with the same guy

Juries are reluctant to send a man to jail for seven years, in these circumstances. Juries are right
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    "The miserable truth is that our leaders don’t want us to have cheap energy
    Politicians, in hoc to eco-extremists, have come to believe that consuming fuel is intrinsically sinful
    DANIEL HANNAN"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/08/06/miserable-truth-leaders-dont-want-us-have-cheap-energy/
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,840
    Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

darkage said:

Pulpstar said:

Cookie said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

I don't agree that there are too many people - that is a deeply spurious shibboleth in my opinion. No other living thing shares that view of its own species. When we approach capacity in this planet (if that is possible) we will colonise space.

The water in the sea still evaporates and falls again as rain. As for the ice sheets melting, that would add more water to the cycle, not take it away. We will perhaps revisit this conversation when facing the usual winter flooding alarm.

The earth could easily support 50 or 100 bn people, and quite possibly a lot more, albeit there would need to be some fairly substantial lifestyle changes to achieve this.

With that said, given reproduction is now in the easy control of humans (almost anywhere), birth rates have absolutely collapsed.

So the likelihood of the world population exploding (or even growing particularly quickly), seems pretty remote.

ISTR something posted a few years back (possibly by you) showing the world has already reached peak child. There will never be more children in the world than there are now. There will be more people, as that peak moves up the age ranges, but it will stabilise at around 11bn, before gently declining.
    Now 11bn is not without its challenges; and nor is a population decline. But I am moderately optimistic about our ability to meet those challenges.
    Median world household income is about $10,000. your optimism has to include optimism that the poor are going to be happy staying poor, because in terms of resource consumtion bringing them all up to the living standards of very very poor westerners is equivalent to doubling (at a guess) the population.
    I'm also genuinely optimistic that the future will see the average individual have a better standard of living while consuming less.
    Less proper meat. Through wind, solar and batteries there's no need to drop anyones standard of living long term
    Everyone should have meat. And livestock are a valid part of good rotational farming and stewardship of the land.
    I will do virtually everything and anything else but meat is the one thing I won't compromise on (as my profile suggests).

I think its climate "impact" is massively exaggerated, usually by those with other ideological PETA agendas, and no-one should be taken in by it. The only bit I can agree with is that clearing rainforest for beef grazing is stupid.

Fundamentally, we have a problem because we burn billions of tons of fossil fuels each year; not because a few cows are farting.
    I tried to seriously look in to climate about 17 years ago. What I took away from it is that we have a very poor understanding of how the weather works because it is so chaotic and it also became very clear that we have an extremely poor understanding of human environmental impact in general. I don't think it is getting any better, because it is now highly politicised and a type of pseudo religious fervour has overtaken the debate, which I keep seeing whenever anyone tries to approach the subject in the real world.
    AGW is not in any sense a religion. It's based on evidence not faith. Equating it to a religion is a technique of deniers. If you took another plunge into it now you'd see this, I'm sure.
    It has certainly had religious aspects in the past - the rubbishing of anyone who has proposed dissenting views, the suppression of any evidence which doesn't sound alarming enough. And it makes people sceptical in a way which dry reporting wouldn't.
    I dunno. Maybe if people won't believe the truth you have to lie to them. But I think the religious approach is counterproductive.
    We had to go on a carbon literacy course at work. The fella leading it was a berk of the first order. The science he did present was overshadowed by his mockery of the straw man who disbelieved it - an approach which made me more sceptical, not less.
    And I'm not a denier. I do believe AGW is real - and if it isn't, most of the remedies to it are things it would be good to do anyway, leading to cheaper energy and less reliance on questionable regimes. But the climate lobby do themsleves no favours.
    Yet paragons compared to the opposite lobby who spent fortunes over decades in propagating lies and misinformation to fuel the denial train.

A straight lift from the playbook of big tobacco and their fight to obscure the link to lung cancer.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Leon said:

CatMan said:

Roger said:

A fun article by Alastair Campbell's daughter about sex in Las Vegas (and elsewhere)

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/aug/06/sex-positive-comedy-las-vegas-rape?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Fun? She got raped
    She knows that, as she writes, yet it seems pretty obvious that she was, in fact, raped.

Bill Gates is a famous philanthropist, known for his intention to give the vast majority of his fortune away. Yet, if he were to report a mugging no-one would use his philanthropy against him, and all whether he'd simply given his possessions away.

Don't be so fucking patronising. Who except you is doubting her claim that she did not consent to sex?

But if this sort of thing happened to me, I would treat it as God's way of telling me not to have random consensual sex with drunken fuckpigs when drunk myself in Las Vegas. And not go WAAAAAH to the fucking grauniad about it.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,262
    Andy_JS said:

Politicians, in hoc to eco-extremists, have come to believe that consuming fuel is intrinsically sinful
    DANIEL HANNAN"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/08/06/miserable-truth-leaders-dont-want-us-have-cheap-energy/

It we want cheap energy just kowtow to Putin.

Personally I prefer to remain free.
    IshmaelZ said:

Dynamo said:

BBC radio news coverage of the Archie Battersbee case a few minutes ago completely avoided mentioning Tiktok. They preferred to have an "expert" call for less adversarial legal procedures.

Repeat: they didn't mention Tiktok.
    We seriously need some glasnost and we aren't going to get any.

What in God's name are you on about? The world and his wife know that the TikTok thing was a complete red herring. Why do you think the press has been reporting the mother's suggestion for weeks, deadpan and without cries for Tiktok's head on a platter?

Give up?

The child was attempting suicide. The tiktok thing is a cover up and a red herring. That is what this is all about.
    What are saying it's all about - a single family? And who do you believe is covering up what?

Do you not think children's mental health in this country is currently a major public health issue?
    I had an Eduardo Martini in the House of Barnabas, in Soho last night: at about 1am

They are things of cruel genius. The martini glass is first WASHED,,,,, with absinthe

I woke up at 2pm this afternoon

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

"Why Labour should fear Liz Truss
    Her popularity among the grassroots is no accident
    BY JOHN MCTERNAN
    John McTernan is a British political strategist and former advisor to Tony Blair"

https://unherd.com/2022/08/why-labour-should-fear-liz-truss/

One of the main reasons Labour should fear Liz Truss - or Rishi Sunak - or my Aunt Gladys - is that SKS is not very good at retail politics.
    The piece contains this warning:

"But [Sunak's] floundering campaign should be a lesson for Labour if they want to confront Liz Truss."

I confess that I thought Truss would be an utter disaster and they may even ditch her after just one year. I am beginning to wonder whether, like it seems most people, I have seriously underestimated her.

She really is the moron you thought she was. That is not to say the voting public won't be satisfied buyers.
    I was highly skeptical of Truss in the beginning. Especially after her floundering appearance in that first debate

But I’ve not seen any evidence she is stupid, let alone “a moron”

Where is it? What makes her “a moron”? Apart from the fact you disagree with her?
    It's moronic to think borrowing for tax cuts is a deflationary measure - but it doesn't follow from her saying this that she's a moron since it's possible she knows she's talking rot and is just doing it to secure votes in the leadership election.
    Has she explicitly said those words? If so that is certainly quite controversial, and against economic orthodoxy - tho again I hesitate to say "moronic"

Remember the 798,999 economists who wrote to the Guardian calling Thatcher a moron, just as her reforms started to take effect, and the UK went into a boom
    Having a shed load of oil and a load of public assets to flog didn't hurt, either, nor did access to the emerging European single market. Thatcher's macro policies were generally poor, hence her period in office being bookmarked by deep recessions and the economy undergoing an unprecedented rise in income inequality, although product market liberalisation was good. She certainly wasn't a moron, not that I think anyone called her that.
    The economic miracle of the 80s is a bit of a myth as far as I can see. It doesn't exactly leap out of the figures.
    It's not a myth: Thatcher successfully turned a failing manufacturing economy into a booming services one, aided and abetted by a boon from North Sea oil.

Of course, there were winners and losers from that but there's no doubt the country got much wealthier: just compare the standard of living of anyone in 1978 with 1991.
    The failure of the left to admit -even now - that Thatcher was the pivotal figure in transforming the post-war UK economy for the better is an enduring indication of their persistent stupidity. They are too childish to confess the truth. The day they do, will be a day to celebrate. I have not got champagne on ice

No one outside the UK disputes what Thatcher did, and how she improved the UK. She is a revered figure for many. Even the Argentinians afford her a grudging, sullen respect - I know this, because I have asked them
    She is a pivotal figure, nobody would dispute that, and she transformed the UK economy. As I have previously noted, I think she deserves credit for making markets more competitive and for helping to create the EU single market. On the other hand, monetarism was a disastrous macro policy - it led to too high interest rates and an overvalued exchange rate, and we lost a whole swathe of viable, high productivity engineering firms as a result. The regional aspect of this policy failure is particularly pronounced and has left the economy unbalanced and unequal across different parts of the country. Selling council homes without allowing councils to build new ones has contributed to our current housing crisis. And we saw an increase in inequality almost unmatched among rich countries. At the end of her time in power we underwent a second deep recession because her government over stimulated the economy, creating a burst of inflation and a housing boom and bust. She sold off public assets too cheaply, and she failed to use North Sea oil revenue productively, so that while Norway has a vast sovereign wealth fund, we have nothing to show for it. It is a mixed legacy. "Better than Argentina" is a low bar.
    Moan moan moan moan moan. This is all you do, and this is why everyone hates the Left, now. And this is why you could, still, easily lose to Liz Truss despite the Tories being a soiled clown troupe and inflation going up to 60,000%

A lefty friend of mine put it succinctly the other day. "Every single story in the Guardian is depressing". If it's not about climate change and the end of everything it is "chemistry is racist" or "the police kill badgers" or "God is an illusion but we're still dying of monkeypox". Nothing ever gets better, nothing is ever good, nothing is ever funny, art must only be scrutinised for Woke correctness, not celebrated. Nothing EVER is nice. Only bad things EVER happen. Think about death more often, you stupid racist meat robot

It is unutterably dreary. It is the mindset of an alcoholic depressive bent on self harm. It is shit turned into an ideology. It is joylessness incarnate. It is the Left. It is all you do. Everything is terrible and harmful; and the stars are made of Nazi plastic that burn your pets, hahahaha

You're a bunch of stupid c*nts and I'm so so glad we keep defeating you
    That's 100% softhead speccieland cliche. I'm typical left and one of my favourite songs is Life is a Rollercoaster (you just got to ride it) by Ronan Keating. Played it again just a few minutes ago.
    Good grief. I'm still reeling from Leon's Busted and Hanson love in the previous thread.
    Also good but 'coaster has better lyrics. Keating has something to say with the song and he really does say it.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited August 2022
    Dynamo said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Liz Truss to move the start of the university year from September to January to ensure all top students get Oxbridge interviews

https://twitter.com/whazell/status/1556002448178831360?s=20&t=GoHgb_k4e4jGQrTqE14EuQ

I would be interested to know what all the other universities in the country think about this.
    They know their place

Of course, you are stuck in the idea that only classics or history of art or PPE degrees from Cowley Poly count.
    They do STEM degrees too but Oxford and Cambridge are the best universities in the country and thos will ensure all those with straight A*s at A level get a chance to go to them even if they don't get through the interview and go elsewhere
    "best" - chimpanzee bollocks. That is meaningless, because it is correlated with size. But a student only does one degree at a time in one department. And the rankings are much less stable when that is taken into account.

https://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2022
    You're missing the point that I made, as always - that is an artificial construct which no student enjoys. The picture based on actual courses is different.
    That QS university ranking is quite something. The highest EU university is a French one at 44. 44th! The highest ranked German university is 50. You can't find an Italian uni til you get to 141. The best uni in Spain is 168th. Shockingly bad
    Though Switzerland has 1 in the top 10 and 1 in the top 20.
    If UCL and Imperial had been allowed to merge, the resultant entity - which would probably soon have gobbled up the LSE - would have shot to no.1 place in Europe and quite possibly the world.

But oh no, we can't have that...
    HYUFD said:

France's elite ENA (now INSP) finishing school for top civil servants and captains of industry where Macron and Chirac went would also likely make the top 10. However it is not technically a university

The ENA now INSP is postgrad. Sciences Po has thousands of undergrads as well as postgrads and is arguably more important. Since the beginning of the Fifth Republic, EVERY president and EVERY losing candidate in the second round has gone to Sciences Po, with the only exceptions being De Gaulle (creator of the Fifth Republic and refounder of the SP, so an obvious special case) and two characters sharing the surname "Le Pen".
    Not necessarily. It would just have ensured they offered science, technology, arts and humanities and social sciences within one London University college.

The ENA, or INSP now, is harder to get into than SP I believe, though both are elite institutions
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

CatMan said:

Roger said:

Fun? She got raped

Don't be so fucking patronising. Who except you is doubting her claim that she did not consent to sex?

But if this sort of thing happened to me, I would treat it as God's way of telling me not to have random consensual sex with drunken fuckpigs when drunk myself in Las Vegas. And not go WAAAAAH to the fucking grauniad about it.
    Well: I'm doubting her claim. Because I'm doubting that she was sober enough to remember

She admits she can't remember the guy's NAME, yet she willingly let him fuck her in a stairwell, after trying to find a hotel room for hours

At that point her testimony is weakened beyond repair

kinabalu said:

darkage said:

Pulpstar said:

Cookie said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

I don't agree that there are too many people - that is a deeply spurious shibboleth in my opinion. No other living thing shares that view of its own species. When we approach capacity in this planet (if that is possible) we will colonise space.

The water in the sea still evaporates and falls again as rain. As for the ice sheets melting, that would add more water to the cycle, not take it away. We will perhaps revisit this conversation when facing the usual winter flooding alarm.

The earth could easily support 50 or 100 bn people, and quite possibly a lot more, albeit there would need to be some fairly substantial lifestyle changes to achieve this.

With that said, given reproduction is now in the easy control of humans (almost anywhere), birth rates have absolutely collapsed.

So the likelihood of the world population exploding (or even growing particularly quickly), seems pretty remote.

ISTR something posted a few years back (possibly by you) showing the world has already reached peak child. There will never be more children in the world than there are now. There will be more people, as that peak moves up the age ranges, but it will stabilise at around 11bn, before gently declining.
    Now 11bn is not without its challenges; and nor is a population decline. But I am moderately optimistic about our ability to meet those challenges.
    Median world household income is about $10,000. your optimism has to include optimism that the poor are going to be happy staying poor, because in terms of resource consumtion bringing them all up to the living standards of very very poor westerners is equivalent to doubling (at a guess) the population.
    I'm also genuinely optimistic that the future will see the average individual have a better standard of living while consuming less.
    Less proper meat. Through wind, solar and batteries there's no need to drop anyones standard of living long term
    Everyone should have meat. And livestock are a valid part of good rotational farming and stewardship of the land.
    I will do virtually everything and anything else but meat is the one thing I won't compromise on (as my profile suggests).

I think its climate "impact" is massively exaggerated, usually by those with other ideological PETA agendas, and no-one should be taken in by it. The only bit I can agree with is that clearing rainforest for beef grazing is stupid.

Fundamentally, we have a problem because we burn billions of tons of fossil fuels each year; not because a few cows are farting.
    I tried to seriously look in to climate about 17 years ago. What I took away from it is that we have a very poor understanding of how the weather works because it is so chaotic and it also became very clear that we have an extremely poor understanding of human environmental impact in general. I don't think it is getting any better, because it is now highly politicised and a type of pseudo religious fervour has overtaken the debate, which I keep seeing whenever anyone tries to approach the subject in the real world.
    AGW is not in any sense a religion. It's based on evidence not faith. Equating it to a religion is a technique of deniers. If you took another plunge into it now you'd see this, I'm sure.
    Huge amounts of evidence for sure, but for the future projections, a bit more faith based. And the is a feel around the discussion that dissent is unwelcome, not unlike religion.
    Depends on the dissent - whether it's skepticism about false precision and sexing up or whether it's disputing the basic premise.
    IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

BY JOHN MCTERNAN
    John McTernan is a British political strategist and former advisor to Tony Blair"

One of the main reasons Labour should fear Liz Truss - or Rishi Sunak - or my Aunt Gladys - is that SKS is not very good at retail politics.

"But [Sunak's] floundering campaign should be a lesson for Labour if they want to confront Liz Truss."

I confess that I thought Truss would be an utter disaster and they may even ditch her after just one year. I am beginning to wonder whether, like it seems most people, I have seriously underestimated her.

She really is the moron you thought she was. That is not to say the voting public won't be satisfied buyers.
    I was highly skeptical of Truss in the beginning. Especially after her floundering appearance in that first debate

Where is it? What makes her “a moron”? Apart from the fact you disagree with her?
    It's moronic to think borrowing for tax cuts is a deflationary measure - but it doesn't follow from her saying this that she's a moron since it's possible she knows she's talking rot and is just doing it to secure votes in the leadership election.
    Has she explicitly said those words? If so that is certainly quite controversial, and against economic orthodoxy - tho again I hesitate to say "moronic"

Remember the 798,999 economists who wrote to the Guardian calling Thatcher a moron, just as her reforms started to take effect, and the UK went into a boom
    Having a shed load of oil and a load of public assets to flog didn't hurt, either, nor did access to the emerging European single market. Thatcher's macro policies were generally poor, hence her period in office being bookmarked by deep recessions and the economy undergoing an unprecedented rise in income inequality, although product market liberalisation was good. She certainly wasn't a moron, not that I think anyone called her that.
    The economic miracle of the 80s is a bit of a myth as far as I can see. It doesn't exactly leap out of the figures.
    It's not a myth: Thatcher successfully turned a failing manufacturing economy into a booming services one, aided and abetted by a boon from North Sea oil.

Of course, there were winners and losers from that but there's no doubt the country got much wealthier: just compare the standard of living of anyone in 1978 with 1991.
    The failure of the left to admit -even now - that Thatcher was the pivotal figure in transforming the post-war UK economy for the better is an enduring indication of their persistent stupidity. They are too childish to confess the truth. The day they do, will be a day to celebrate. I have not got champagne on ice

No one outside the UK disputes what Thatcher did, and how she improved the UK. She is a revered figure for many. Even the Argentinians afford her a grudging, sullen respect - I know this, because I have asked them
    She is a pivotal figure, nobody would dispute that, and she transformed the UK economy. As I have previously noted, I think she deserves credit for making markets more competitive and for helping to create the EU single market. On the other hand, monetarism was a disastrous macro policy - it led to too high interest rates and an overvalued exchange rate, and we lost a whole swathe of viable, high productivity engineering firms as a result. The regional aspect of this policy failure is particularly pronounced and has left the economy unbalanced and unequal across different parts of the country. Selling council homes without allowing councils to build new ones has contributed to our current housing crisis. And we saw an increase in inequality almost unmatched among rich countries. At the end of her time in power we underwent a second deep recession because her government over stimulated the economy, creating a burst of inflation and a housing boom and bust. She sold off public assets too cheaply, and she failed to use North Sea oil revenue productively, so that while Norway has a vast sovereign wealth fund, we have nothing to show for it. It is a mixed legacy. "Better than Argentina" is a low bar.
    Moan moan moan moan moan. This is all you do, and this is why everyone hates the Left, now. And this is why you could, still, easily lose to Liz Truss despite the Tories being a soiled clown troupe and inflation going up to 60,000%

A lefty friend of mine put it succinctly the other day. "Every single story in the Guardian is depressing". If it's not about climate change and the end of everything it is "chemistry is racist" or "the police kill badgers" or "God is an illusion but we're still dying of monkeypox". Nothing ever gets better, nothing is ever good, nothing is ever funny, art must only be scrutinised for Woke correctness, not celebrated. Nothing EVER is nice. Only bad things EVER happen. Think about death more often, you stupid racist meat robot

It is unutterably dreary. It is the mindset of an alcoholic depressive bent on self harm. It is shit turned into an ideology. It is joylessness incarnate. It is the Left. It is all you do. Everything is terrible and harmful; and the stars are made of Nazi plastic that burn your pets, hahahaha

That's 100% softhead speccieland cliche. I'm typical left and one of my favourite songs is Life is a Rollercoaster (you just got to ride it) by Ronan Keating. Played it again just a few minutes ago.
    I’ve never known you say anything which isn’t slightly peevish and dreary. Even when you try to be amusing - and I’ve seen you try - it is done with that mouth-like-a-cat’s-arse grimace of faint disapproval

Nor is this unimportant. For a start it’s why Boris kept winning. He’s cheerful. He suggests life might get better, and even if it doesn’t, here’s a decent joke

Can Starmer ‘do’ cheerful? Can he do patriotic uplift? Lol no. None of you can because you just don’t believe it. Life is always getting worse. You’ve become some weird caricature of the right from about 40 years ago. You are the new calvinists and everyone is racist
    You want to humoured and lied to like a toddler then, is it?

So I guess you will be.
    Dost thou think, because thou art virtuous, there shall be no more cakes and ale?
    I most certainly doth not.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Dynamo said:

IshmaelZ said:

Dynamo said:

BBC radio news coverage of the Archie Battersbee case a few minutes ago completely avoided mentioning Tiktok. They preferred to have an "expert" call for less adversarial legal procedures.

What in God's name are you on about? The world and his wife know that the TikTok thing was a complete red herring. Why do you think the press has been reporting the mother's suggestion for weeks, deadpan and without cries for Tiktok's head on a platter?

Give up?

The child was attempting suicide. The tiktok thing is a cover up and a red herring. That is what this is all about.
    What are saying it's all about - a single family? And who do you believe is covering up what?

Do you not think children's mental health in this country is currently a major public health issue?
    Sorry, but fail. We both know this.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,042
    Andy_JS said:

DANIEL HANNAN"

He is of course, absolutely correct. And as much as 'eco-extremists' are part of the issue, the real reason that cheap energy is unacceptable for many powerful politicians and corporates is that cheap energy means personal freedom.

Thankfully, now more than ever, this agenda is being exposed and challenged.

• Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,042
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

BY JOHN MCTERNAN

Good grief. I'm still reeling from Leon's Busted and Hanson love in the previous thread.
    Also good but 'coaster has better lyrics. Keating has something to say with the song and he really does say it.
    It is not for me to disagree with something that gives you positivity and lifts your mood - glad that Mr. Keating does that for you.

• carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,054
    Leon said:

I had an Eduardo Martini in the House of Barnabas, in Soho last night: at about 1am

They are things of cruel genius. The martini glass is first WASHED,,,,, with absinthe

Wikipedia reveals only this dude:

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Eduardo-Martini

Doesn't seem your type.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,054
    carnforth said:

Leon said:

Doesn't seem your type.
    Wait! A better candidate:

https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eduardo_Martini

Filme
    1998 - Orgasmo Total (curta-metragem)
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    edited August 2022

Andy_JS said:

DANIEL HANNAN"

He is of course, absolutely correct. And as much as 'eco-extremists' are part of the issue, the real reason that cheap energy is unacceptable for many powerful politicians and corporates is that cheap energy means personal freedom.

Perhaps you’d like to furnish some evidence for your “powerful politicians and corporates” claims.

This is David Icke level stuff.
    carnforth said:

Leon said:

Doesn't seem your type.
    Yep, that's not him

I met the real Eduardo of Eduardo Martini fame as I drank the Eduardo Martini in the House of Saint Barnabas. His name is Eduardo and he invented the Eduardo Martini, and I drank the Eduardo Martini with him, Eduardo, last night, in the garden of the House of St Barnabas, at 1am, along with a fine Cuban cigar, given to me by my friend Mike, who is a lawyer who works in China. He also had an Eduardo Martini with Eduardo, the inventor of the Eduardo Martini

I hope that is clear. My head was not clear. Eduardo Martinis are incredibly vicious. Absinthe!

• pingping Posts: 3,724
    edited August 2022
    Great journalism;

“Partition: My journey to the ‘place no-one spoke of’”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-62347457
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 14,911
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

BY JOHN MCTERNAN

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/music/2004/aug/06/1

I remember reading this article at the time. I've always liked Life Is A Rollercoaster. You can catch Ronan on the breakfast show on Magic with Harriet Scott. He is as charming and inept a DJ as you might imagine.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,781

Andy_JS said:

DANIEL HANNAN"

I think it's probably just mismanagement of our transition to renewables - particularly our lack of investment in nuclear. It's true that our drop in carbon emissions is partly a drop in energy use, but I think that would have happened anyway.

Not sure about the whole conspirary idea. On the contrary, the cheapest and most liberating way to get about is to cycle (if you live in a city), and Tories do everything they fucking can to stop you doing that.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

BY JOHN MCTERNAN

I remember reading this article at the time. I've always liked Life Is A Rollercoaster. You can catch Ronan on the breakfast show on Magic with Harriet Scott. He is as charming and inept a DJ as you might imagine.
    Plus the One Show
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    The Blessed Madonna's Sweat Box is the place to be.
    Fuck me, if you want to get lost in personal nostalgia, I recommend uploading ALL your photos to Google Photos. It carefully then archives them, all 40,000 of them, or whatever, and makes them instantly searchable in multiple ways

I have found some extraordinary gems, redolent of the forgotten past

*sob*
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,005
    Is anyone else surprised about the lack of talk on Enerhodar. That's where the massive nuclear power station is based that Russia is occupying and possibly firing on.
    edited August 2022
    Leon said:

Fuck me, if you want to get lost in personal nostalgia, I recommend uploading ALL your photos to Google Photos. It carefully then archives them, all 40,000 of them, or whatever, and makes them instantly searchable in multiple ways

*sob*

What about your pre-digital photo archive? Most people didn't get digital cameras until around 2005.
    edited August 2022
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

*sob*

What about your pre-digital photo archive? Most people didn't get digital cameras until around 2005.
    Yes indeed. I didn't really TAKE photos until the advent of the phone-cam. I relied on others to take photos of me or wherever I was

Such a shame, in a sense. If I'd had a camera all my life, my God, the photos I would now possess!

Nonetheless I have done an awful lot of living and travelling since 2005, and it is now all archived. Remarkable

eg I just found this photo (and many many like it). A sequence of remote waterfalls on the Kimberley Coast, Australia. Had no idea I had this photo, still. It's taken from a helicopter, as we spiralled down to land by a billabong

SALT WATER CROCODILE!

I had NO idea all these photos still existed

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

By-election coming up in Mid Bedfordshire in October/November. Nadine Dorries says she plans to stand down.

Can't see any report of that even if it is rumoured Boris wants to give her a peerage
    "Boris Johnson is preparing to offer Nadine Dorries a peerage, giving his successor as Tory leader an early by-election headache.

The culture secretary has told colleagues that she intends to stand down in October, with her departure likely to trigger a by-election in the nominally safe Tory seat of Mid Bedfordshire." (£)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/nadine-dorries-peerage-will-trigger-by-election-battle-for-tories-t3gr8gl65
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,781

Is anyone else surprised about the lack of talk on Enerhodar. That's where the massive nuclear power station is based that Russia is occupying and possibly firing on.

It was on the radio as a main item in between the football commentary. There was a lot if concern about stuff like this during the initial invasion.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,005
    Eabhal said:

It was on the radio as a main item in between the football commentary. There was a lot if concern about stuff like this during the initial invasion.
    Yes it was taken control of by the Russians in March. Apparently they may now be using it to store weapons and possibly a place to fire from - assuming the Ukrainians won't shoot back at them.
    Google Photos has successfully found, saved and diligently archived every photo I have ever taken since about 2008

And, my god, I really was quite fat in 2011
  • HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

BY JOHN MCTERNAN

Plus the One Show
    Will The One Show still be on now they've jailed Alex Jones?
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    Leon said:

CatMan said:

Roger said:

Fun? She got raped
    I have never heard of Grace Campbell.
    She seems quite fucked up.
    Her father is an alcoholic depressive, who obviously hates himself because of Iraq. Not an easy Dad
    Imagine being her father, though, and having to read that article.

Leon said:

CatMan said:

Roger said:

Fun? She got raped
    I have never heard of Grace Campbell.
    She seems quite fucked up.
    Her father is an alcoholic depressive, who obviously hates himself because of Iraq. Not an easy Dad
    Imagine being her father, though, and having to read that article.

Yes, it's not good. The Guardian should not have run that story, for her sake
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

By-election coming up in Mid Bedfordshire in October/November. Nadine Dorries says she plans to stand down.

Can't see any report of that even if it is rumoured Boris wants to give her a peerage
    "Boris Johnson is preparing to offer Nadine Dorries a peerage, giving his successor as Tory leader an early by-election headache.

The culture secretary has told colleagues that she intends to stand down in October, with her departure likely to trigger a by-election in the nominally safe Tory seat of Mid Bedfordshire." (£)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/nadine-dorries-peerage-will-trigger-by-election-battle-for-tories-t3gr8gl65
    What was it it Mr Johnson, about S Bedfordshire's 24,000 majority that made you decide to offer its current MP a peerage?
  • Leon said:

Google Photos has successfully found, saved and diligently archived every photo I have ever taken since about 2008

I have photos dating back to 2007 on Wikimedia Commons:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Sunil060902
    https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:ListFiles/Sunil060902
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766

Leon said:

You know, I'm noticing a certain... theme... to your photos.
    Strangely hypnotic:

Amy Pechacek
    @pechacek_amy
    4. Drive & Listen

Listen to local radio stations while virtually driving through cities around the world.

https://driveandlisten.herokuapp.com

Eabhal said:

Yes it was taken control of by the Russians in March. Apparently they may now be using it to store weapons and possibly a place to fire from - assuming the Ukrainians won't shoot back at them.
    Each side accused the other of shelling the facility yesterday (5 August, eve of Hiroshima Day). The Ukrainian side has also said that the Russian forces already in the facility are hogging all the space in the basements.

Cui bono principle:
    * cutting off the power supply from the plant: Russian regime benefits;
    * nuclear incident: Ukrainian regime benefits.
  • rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

I couldn't possibly comment...
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Don't we all have themes?

One of the genius things about Google Photos is that you can type in a word, like, say, "wine", and it will search through every single one of your photos and find all the ones that relate to "wine"

It just found this

I drank all of that

And this

And this

Images I thought forever lost, if I even remembered them
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

One of the genius things about Google Photos is that you can type in a word, like, say, "wine", and it will search through every single one of your photos and find all the ones that relate to "wine"

It just found this

I drank all of that

And this

And this

I seem to recall the first one. Didn't it appear on PB years ago and we declared that it looked like a lost photo from a Pink Floyd LP photoshoot?
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 4,746
    IshmaelZ said:

Dynamo said:

Give up?

I just looked in to this story for the first time.
    Has there been any police investigation in to how he died?
    If it was an online game, then presumably there would be digital evidence of how it occurred?
    It seems odd that these questions don't seem to be aired.

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

It just found this

I drank all of that

And this

And this

I seem to recall the first one. Didn't it appear on PB years ago and we declared that it looked like a lost photo from a Pink Floyd LP photoshoot?
    Possibly. But I thought all of those photos were either gone for good, or helplessly lost in the sheer multitude of images. Couldn't find them on my iphone

Yet Google Photos has found them and archived them and arranged them, all of them, and I can search for them by theme. It's brilliant

Costing me a bit to have all this cloud storage, but well worth it. This is the last 15 years of my life (during which I travelled intensely) and it's now all recorded. It pleases
    Goodnight, PB

Goodnight

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

It just found this

I drank all of that

And this

And this

Possibly. But I thought all of those photos were either gone for good, or helplessly lost in the sheer multitude of images. Couldn't find them on my iphone

Yet Google Photos has found them and archived them and arranged them, all of them, and I can search for them by theme. It's brilliant

Costing me a bit to have all this cloud storage, but well worth it. This is the last 15 years of my life (during which I travelled intensely) and it's now all recorded. It pleases
    Excellent. It's a very good photo that's for sure.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,601
    Dynamo said:

Eabhal said:

Each side accused the other of shelling the facility yesterday (5 August, eve of Hiroshima Day). The Ukrainian side has also said that the Russian forces already in the facility are hogging all the space in the basements.

Cui bono principle:
    * cutting off the power supply from the plant: Russian regime benefits;
    * nuclear incident: Ukrainian regime benefits.
    The reason the Russians are obsessed with the Ukrainian nuclear plants is the cooling ponds. They know what is there.

One of the curses of this world is believing others would do as you would do. To a Greater Russian Nationalist, it’s all about Power and Will. If you could destroy your enemies, if you had the Power, you would….

What sleeps in the cooling ponds is old - a few decades, but that is all the time required by the magic of transmutation of elements. No one, to my knowledge has ever separated PU239 from PU240. Too hot.

But PU240 decays to U236…. The passage years does the job for you. To separate the PU - now 99% 239 - is mere table top chemistry.

Pluto waits in the soft glowing darkness of those ponds. Gnawing at Putin. Because he would… so Zelensky must, must want to summon the Great Old Ones as well.
    darkage said:

IshmaelZ said:

Dynamo said:

Give up?

I just looked in to this story for the first time.
    Has there been any police investigation in to how he died?
    If it was an online game, then presumably there would be digital evidence of how it occurred?
    It seems odd that these questions don't seem to be aired.
    It's obviously one of those things where they don't want to discuss it because they think it might encourage other people.
  • Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

It just found this

I drank all of that

And this

And this

Pink Floyd or Keith Floyd ? ;)
  • A cold dose of reality is washing over Thatcher’s water privatisation

Liz Truss and Rishi Sunak’s eagerness to cast themselves as the true heir to Margaret Thatcher is curious given how the past year has exposed the flaws in some of the Iron Lady’s landmark privatisations.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/a-cold-dose-of-reality-is-washing-over-thatchers-water-privatisation-pxlhj9crp (£££)
  • Donald Trump has just finished his speech to CPAC 2022 (in case anyone wants to look for it). Leaving aside the content of the speech, it was well delivered. He is not showing his age. The speech lasted about an hour and a half.
    I think China is going to invade Taiwan
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

They know their place

It is past time Oxbridge was put in its place.

Hence the two candidates for the Tory leadership, the Leader of the Opposition and the leader of the LDs all have an Oxford degree.

However we have had some sop to the masses, Starmer did his undergraduate degree at Leeds before his postgraduate degree at Oxford
    Doesn't Starmer have a diploma rather than a degree from Oxford?
    He has a Bachelor of Civil law from St Edmund Hall
    St Edmund Hall does not grant degrees or diplomas, surely. Only the University of Oxford has that power.
    Leon said:

I think China is going to invade Taiwan

They might blockade Taiwan, but invading is a very different kettle of fish.
  • IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

CatMan said:

It seems the Rwanda plan might have made the Channel People Smugglers drop their prices

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/aug/06/channel-smugglers-drop-prices-and-cram-more-people-on-to-boats

"One Syrian asylum seeker told the Guardian that the smugglers had dropped their prices dramatically. “Before it was £3,000 or £4,000 to cross. Now the top price is £1,200 and some asylum seekers are negotiating a price of as little as £500 to cross. Everyone can afford to cross these days. Some asylum seekers are saying to smugglers, ‘Why should I pay you £4,000 to go to the UK when I might end up in Rwanda? I will pay you £500’. Then a deal is struck.”"

Good, then the system is working.
    By massively increasing the number of crossings?

Are you sure that was the plan?
    Devaluing the crossings is a good thing.

And that's without the transfers to Rwanda actually happening yet. Once they do it'd devalue them down to zero.
    "Devaluing"?

Mostly when prices go down people buy more of stuff. Are you saying that a £500 illegal immigrant is only 1/8 as much of a problem for the country as a £4,000 one?
    Pretty much, yes, I am.

If the price goes down due to reduced demand, then supply will go down too. And it is the people traffickers, the supply, that is the problem.

If 7/8ths of the funding going to the traffickers has vanished then that massively disincentivises people from being involved in trafficking. Which is a good thing.
  • Andy_JS said:

DANIEL HANNAN"

It we want cheap energy just kowtow to Putin.

Personally I prefer to remain free.
    Personally I'd prefer to stand up to Putin but axe fuel duty etc while doing so.
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,555
    edited August 2022
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

They know their place

Though Switzerland has 1 in the top 10 and 1 in the top 20
    The rise of Asia is notable. China, Singapore, Korea: all surging up the table

With the loss of the UK the EU's performance is lamentably bad. By pissing us off so much with their wankyness, the EU lost its best 7 universities (all British), and now it performs worse than Australia
    The rankings are vile brexiteer propaganda. Every fool knows that after brexit all the best academics will flee the UK and the EU will power ahead stealing all our academics and research projects. Remain told me so. Just as we now have 5 million unemployed and no country wants to deal with us.
  • NEW THREAD

• BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,262
    edited August 2022
    Test
This discussion has been closed.