Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Sunak appears to be abandoning the RedWall – politicalbetting.com

124»

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,609
    The extent of performative self-pity on the US MAGA right is quite extraordinary.

https://twitter.com/LauraJedeed/status/1555557890806644738
    Hello I would like to share with you the most astonishing thing I have ever seen

At this CPAC booth you receive a silent disco headset that plays harrowing testimony from people arrested for participating in J6

Instead of dancing, you stand around and watch this guy cry...

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,966
    Why, apart from the obvious, this obsession with Kari Lake?
    She's trails in every poll. There must be other unlikely Governors of medium sized US States talk about.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,195
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Another video of Kari Lake beating up a journalist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA0raqj8aK8

She is genuinely deplorable in several ways, yet the way she doesn't take any shit, and the way she brings the fight back to the hacks. It is impressive

Go to minute 9 to see her really slapping him

Whether it's impressive or not depends on whether she's using it to puncture media nonsense or to deflect scrutiny. It's almost always the latter with far right populists.
    I'm talking about the media skill NOT the actual politics. A lot of what she claims to believe is pernicious nonsense

But does she have a presence on TV? Yes. Is she good at bitch-slapping journos? Also Yes. Could she make it to the White House? Why not. If she wins the AZ governorship, then I could see Trump making her his running mate in 2024, and then - whether he wins or not - she is ideally placed for 2028

Paradoxically, however, she needs to rein in the Trumpist conspiracy bollocks to win Arizona. A difficult maneuver
    Sense she's another narcissist on the make. And of course we now know such a person CAN be president outside of Ballard novels. So not a completely crazy suggestion.

But my point - re this 'bitchslapping journos" ability that you're celebrating - is whether it's a quality or a vice depends on what she's reacting to.

Eg in British terms:

Labour politician being hassled with the tedious "What is a woman?" question by Kay Burley. They bitchslap her. GOOD.

Labour politician being asked wtf does Starmer mean by "strong secure peaceful fair growth?" by - yes why not - Kay Burley. They bitchslap her. BAD.

Bet Lake is all about the 2nd sort. Using a facility for sarcasm and putdown to avoid scrutiny.
    You are mentally incapable of examining an issue without your narrow moralising mindset intruding

IF I said "Hitler made powerful speeches" you'd say, "Yes, but he killed 6m Jews so they were bad speeches"

What's the point? Debating with you is like debating with a highly educated child

I'm off to the gym. Later
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,609
    edited August 2022
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Kari Lake has never held an elected office, and has never been an executive. If she is elected governor of Arizona, she is unlikely to attract competent help.

Any chance you folks can take her off our hands by putting her in charge of one of your football clubs? (She is probably more qualified for that than being governor. (My apologies to those who consider football serious, but not governing.)

Her shifts in party loyalties, from Republican, to Democrat, to Trumpista, look overall as if they are determined by her ambitions, not any serious thought.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kari_Lake

And?

Donald Trump himself went from Democrat to Republican to Trumpista, and became president
    Indeed.
    She's just another grifter.
    Grifter?!

"a person who engages in petty or small-scale swindling."

No. Not a grifter. Wrong usage. Bzzzt
    Not really.
    Petty swindling on a larger stage - that's Trump exactly.

I don't have you down as a pedant.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Kari Lake has never held an elected office, and has never been an executive. If she is elected governor of Arizona, she is unlikely to attract competent help.

Any chance you folks can take her off our hands by putting her in charge of one of your football clubs? (She is probably more qualified for that than being governor. (My apologies to those who consider football serious, but not governing.)

Her shifts in party loyalties, from Republican, to Democrat, to Trumpista, look overall as if they are determined by her ambitions, not any serious thought.

And?

Donald Trump himself went from Democrat to Republican to Trumpista, and became president
    Indeed.
    Grifter?!

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

And?

Indeed.
    Grifter?!

Not really.
    No, you just didn't understand the term

EDIT: I am wrong. I just checked. People have, recently, been using grifter to mean a politician who is in politics solely to make money

https://politicaldictionary.com/words/grifter/

I deplore this usage. The word grifter should be reserved for petty swindlers, because it captures them brilliantly. There are surely better words for greedy political charlatans. But I can't argue with the usage of the language
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Kari Lake won her primary in Arizona in the end

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/08/02/us/elections/results-arizona.html

She actually won every county

Her march to the presidency continues

Not on here.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.176878927

She has more chance than some others listed mind - such as Meghan Markle.
    I'd put a fiver on her if she was 100/1

She is a demagogue with some dangerous opinions BUT she is articulate, telegenic, clever and knows how to work a crowd - and the media. She can be brutal in despatching journalists, I've rarely see anything like it. She ATTACKS them rather than nervously batting away their questions. It's Trumpism, but done by someone eloquent and "plausible" and not obviously mad

But to get to the White House she needs an awful lot of difficult things to happen exactly right

But if Trump chose her as a running mate in 2024? That could do it
    I knew I’d seen her before but couldn’t think where - saw her on this podcast a couple of weeks ago.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2yPNMbn3vdI

Former news anchor on local TV, so not only does everyone know her, she’s had two decades of daily public speaking and interviewing.
    Quite a few of these Trump fruitcakes seem to be TV people. Makes sense, I guess, since that's essentially what he is. What he was anyway. I think an underappreciated factor in his political rise was all that time on The Apprentice, a persona of "tough can-do guy with a sense of humour" projected into millions of homes in America every week for years. That's gold, really, in this age of celeb. If Alan Sugar wasn't Alan Sugar maybe something similar - on the usual smaller and paler British scale - could have happened here.
    We tend to be slightly less impressed by glossy bullshit.
    Alan Sugar is a Pound Shop Donald Fucking Trump.
    I know Mr Sugar caused a minor revolution with his PCW computers (I had about eight of them in succession, variously adapted and cannibalised). But I don't think Mr S ever tried to do a Boris Johnson in No 10 and imitate a limpet in a rockpool.
    His "thing" was buying companies and slowly running them into the ground, going for the lowest possible quality.

The reason that Lord Sugar didn't get anywhere in UK politics is that he wasn't up for the time and effort of becoming an MP.
    It must be admitted that the PCW started off by throwing together a design based on, IIRC, a job lot of non-standard three-inch (?) disc drives that had lost out to competition with the smaller PC format disc and were knocking around at minimal cost. I rather suspect everyone was very surprised when the PCW turned out to be so popular that they had to put the disc drives back into production! (Though I adapted mine with a PC 5.25" drive as well.) I don't suppose the little green screen was very high tech even then, either.

It wasn't. Certainly the screens on the CPC (Amstrad's first computer range, before the PCW) were TV-grade displays, not monitor-grade displays. It was the CPC that started the 3-inch thing and for exactly the reason you say.

But it was a well-designed piece of kit even so. I wrote a piece of software for the PCW which sold reasonably well in its latter days!
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

And?

Indeed.
    Grifter?!

Not really.

I was wrong. You were right. Grifting is indeed used the way you use it (see below)

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

And?

Indeed.
    Grifter?!

Not really.

I was wrong. You were right. Grifting is indeed used the way you use it (see below)

Thought you'd gone to pump iron?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,992
    MrEd said:

MISTY said:

Alistair said:

US July jobs report is out, over half a million jobs added in a single month. I think you have to go back over 7 presidents to get a figure like that.

Unemploymemt at a 50 year low.

Terrifying recession conditions.

Two words for you.

Gasoline

prices

But yes, things might be looking a little better for the dems in the midterms.
    Gasoline prices have been coming down for 50 days+ in a row in the US. Even I am starting to think things are looking better for the Ds in November (however, I still think they will lose the House and the Senate is on a knife-edge).
    I think they will lose the House pretty badly. But I think selling the Republicans for Senate control is a great bet, especially given the wildcard of Utah.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,744
    Nigelb said:

The extent of performative self-pity on the US MAGA right is quite extraordinary.

Hello I would like to share with you the most astonishing thing I have ever seen

At this CPAC booth you receive a silent disco headset that plays harrowing testimony from people arrested for participating in J6

Presidential pardons on their way in 2025!
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/08/02/us/elections/results-arizona.html

Not on here.

She is a demagogue with some dangerous opinions BUT she is articulate, telegenic, clever and knows how to work a crowd - and the media. She can be brutal in despatching journalists, I've rarely see anything like it. She ATTACKS them rather than nervously batting away their questions. It's Trumpism, but done by someone eloquent and "plausible" and not obviously mad

But to get to the White House she needs an awful lot of difficult things to happen exactly right

I knew I’d seen her before but couldn’t think where - saw her on this podcast a couple of weeks ago.

Former news anchor on local TV, so not only does everyone know her, she’s had two decades of daily public speaking and interviewing.
    Quite a few of these Trump fruitcakes seem to be TV people. Makes sense, I guess, since that's essentially what he is. What he was anyway. I think an underappreciated factor in his political rise was all that time on The Apprentice, a persona of "tough can-do guy with a sense of humour" projected into millions of homes in America every week for years. That's gold, really, in this age of celeb. If Alan Sugar wasn't Alan Sugar maybe something similar - on the usual smaller and paler British scale - could have happened here.
    I know Mr Sugar caused a minor revolution with his PCW computers (I had about eight of them in succession, variously adapted and cannibalised). But I don't think Mr S ever tried to do a Boris Johnson in No 10 and imitate a limpet in a rockpool.
    His "thing" was buying companies and slowly running them into the ground, going for the lowest possible quality.

The reason that Lord Sugar didn't get anywhere in UK politics is that he wasn't up for the time and effort of becoming an MP.
    The original Amstrad - makers of CPC and PCW computers - was built from the ground up.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    edited August 2022
    dixiedean said:

She's trails in every poll. There must be other unlikely Governors of medium sized US States talk about.

There havent been many. She led in one in February, Hobbs now has a 5 point lead. The trouble with the polling is its hypotheticals - almost 100% certain to be Hobbs defending but then against a maybe or maybe opponent which always skews things as Lake supporters wont say Robson and vice versa but may do now the race is settled. I anticipate the polling closing in to a dead heat now the head to head is clarified. The republicans had a record turnout for the primaries so unless Robson supporters switch i think Lake has a very good chance as does Masters against Kelly for Senate (same hypothetical polling issue there before now too)
  • Options

Nigelb said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It should be noted Tunbridge Wells, where Rishi spoke and I was born and raised, is 46th on the LD target list and has a LD led council. It is very much bluewall.

I don't there was anything wrong with what he said, there are parts of Tunbridge Wells that are not that well off, Sherwood ward for
    instance. Yes the redwall needs support but there are parts of the country elsewhere that do too.

It should also be noted that the last 2 general election winners for the Tories, Johnson and Cameron, were both elected by the membership. The last general election winner for Labour, Tony Blair, was elected by Labour members. Starmer was also elected by Labour members and Davey by LD members

Jo Swinson was elected by the members.

Jeremy Corbyn was elected by the members.

Hell, IDS was elected by the members.

The record of member voting is, at best, patchy.
    William Hague, John Major, Theresa May, Michael Foot were elected solely by MPs. Their record is at least as patchy.

In 2017 Corbyn deprived the Tories of their majority
    Surely the point Mark is making is the evidence points to it being inclusive, whereas you were trying to imply it wasn't. It clearly is from the evidence Mark provided.

Personally I think members should elect leaders whilst in opposition and the public can decide on the party's members wisdom in a GE. However if you are appointing a PM of an already elected governing party it should be left to those who have the detailed knowledge i.e. the MPs to mitigate the risk of appointing a loony as PM (although the MPs might manage that also).
    No it clearly isn't, of the last 4 Tory leaders elected solely by MPs, May, Howard, Hague and Major, none of them apart from Major won a general election majority and he also led the party to its worst defeat since 1832 in 1997.

If members get a say in electing the party leader then that applies in government as much as opposition. MPs select the final 2 anyway and members then choose from them, so MPs have plenty of opportunity to exclude an extremist. Braverman or Badenoch may well have won the leadership amongst members and were probably the most hardline of the candidates standing but MPs put neither in the final 2.

Labour also let members choose their leader so they equally could choose the PM in power. Had John McDonnell got enough MP nominations to take on Gordon Brown in 2007 that would certainly have been the case
    I think that is a bit tough on Major. You could have had Good as leader in 1997 and you weren't going to win.

I think @MarqueeMark evidence speaks for itself.
    In hindsight, Major was actually quite good as PM.
    Or did you mean God ?
    God - a leader who inspires absolute devotion in His followers while others look on sceptically, bewildered or even contemptuous about it.

His followers have divided themselves into various camps that frequently seem to hate each other more than they hate non believers.

His most fervent believers think that only a select few are worthy, which can include some very wealthy people despite what He has said about the wealthy.

Has views that seem frozen from times in the past despite time moving on.

Spends half of his time obsessing about Jews.

God is a politician and His name is Jeremy Corbyn.
    Your rants about God are increasingly tedious.

We all know that you are a militant atheist.

Others are believers. How about you practice some of those libertarian ideals and let them do what the fuck they like without insulting them?
    Rants? It was a joke.

Maybe you didn't find it a funny joke, but that's a different question. I don't care what religious people do in private but making a pun or joke related to what someone else just said is sometimes half of what we do here.

If I wanted to be insulting, I could be much more insulting than that. But it was just a joke.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It should be noted Tunbridge Wells, where Rishi spoke and I was born and raised, is 46th on the LD target list and has a LD led council. It is very much bluewall.

I don't there was anything wrong with what he said, there are parts of Tunbridge Wells that are not that well off, Sherwood ward for
    instance. Yes the redwall needs support but there are parts of the country elsewhere that do too.

It should also be noted that the last 2 general election winners for the Tories, Johnson and Cameron, were both elected by the membership. The last general election winner for Labour, Tony Blair, was elected by Labour members. Starmer was also elected by Labour members and Davey by LD members

William Hague, John Major, Theresa May, Michael Foot were elected solely by MPs. Their record is at least as patchy.

Surely the point Mark is making is the evidence points to it being inclusive, whereas you were trying to imply it wasn't. It clearly is from the evidence Mark provided.

Personally I think members should elect leaders whilst in opposition and the public can decide on the party's members wisdom in a GE. However if you are appointing a PM of an already elected governing party it should be left to those who have the detailed knowledge i.e. the MPs to mitigate the risk of appointing a loony as PM (although the MPs might manage that also).
    No it clearly isn't, of the last 4 Tory leaders elected solely by MPs, May, Howard, Hague and Major, none of them apart from Major won a general election majority and he also led the party to its worst defeat since 1832 in 1997.

If members get a say in electing the party leader then that applies in government as much as opposition. MPs select the final 2 anyway and members then choose from them, so MPs have plenty of opportunity to exclude an extremist. Braverman or Badenoch may well have won the leadership amongst members and were probably the most hardline of the candidates standing but MPs put neither in the final 2.

Labour also let members choose their leader so they equally could choose the PM in power. Had John McDonnell got enough MP nominations to take on Gordon Brown in 2007 that would certainly have been the case
    I think you just flip it around.

* 10% of MP base required to be nominated as a candidate (so max 10 as each MP can only nominate 1)
    * All candidates (so max 10) go to the membership for a vote
    * Top 5 (I would suggest STV) selected by members for the final round
    * MPs then have 2 rounds of voting using FPTP: 5>3 and then 3>1

Add the members vote to the MPs and in case of a tie give Shirley Ballas the casting vote.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,601
    edited August 2022
    The response of the Chairman of the Tory Northern Research Group to Sunak's comments:

"In public
    @RishiSunak
    claims he wants to level up the North, but here, he boasts about trying to funnel vital investment away from deprived areas?"

https://twitter.com/JakeBerry/status/1555507873395970049?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1555507873395970049|twgr^45326261ee3397da17f81a6abec1753ac1c08c9f|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2022/aug/05/kwasi-kwarteng-boris-johnson-nadhim-zahawi-economy-recession-liz-truss-rishi-sunak-tory-leadership-uk-politics-live

He's got one thing wrong though. Sunak didn't say he was trying to take investment away from deprived areas, he said that he'd been instrumental in Johnson's government actually doing that for the last three years.

If any more Tory MPs from the Red Wall wish to defect to Labour, they've just been handed the perfect pretext for doing so.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,505
    The Gasbuddy blog posts look like an accurate picture of changing gas prices in the US.
    https://www.gasbuddy.com/go/blog

They appear to be updated every Monday; Here's the latest:
    'For the seventh straight week, the nation’s average gas price has declined, falling 15.9 cents from a week ago to $4.17 per gallon today according to GasBuddy data compiled from more than 11 million individual price reports covering over 150,000 gas stations across the country. The national average is down 65.5 cents from a month ago and $1.02 per gallon higher than a year ago. The national average price of diesel has declined 14.8 cents in the last week and stands at $5.27 per gallon.

“We continue to see average gas prices falling in every state, with the national average down for the seventh straight week. Even better, nearly 20 states have also seen their average decline to $3.99 or less, with over 70,000 stations now at that level or below,” said Patrick De Haan, head of petroleum analysis at GasBuddy. “The outlook is for a continued drop in most areas, however, some supply tightness in areas of the Northeastern U.S. could push prices up slightly until inventories rise, or imports do. For now, Americans are seeing prices nearly 90 cents lower than their mid-June peak and are spending close to $330 million less on gasoline every day as a result. As long as oil prices hold at these levels or lower, we’ll see another decline in most areas this week.”'

(The main site allows people in the US to find the lowest gas rices in their area.)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Nigelb said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I think that is a bit tough on Major. You could have had Good as leader in 1997 and you weren't going to win.

Or did you mean God ?
    I meant God. I'm really getting fed up with spell checker.
    I also thought Major was good. Hague was pretty good as a leader also. I think @hyufd is getting cause and correlation mixed up. There are lots of other reasons why a PM/leader wins or loses. Whether they were elected by MPs or members is only one of them, if at all. Major, Hague and Howard had other rather bigger problems. And as Mark showed there are plenty of counter examples.
    The 2 worst defeats the Tories suffered since universal suffrage were under Major in 1997 and Hague in 2001.

Now Major was not too bad a PM and part of that was down to Blair having more appeal than any Labour leader before to Middle England but neither were exactly great leaders of the party
    The lesson that should be remembered from that period is that the Tories, who should be the natural party of government, became unpopular when they went down an ideological rabbit hole and got mired in a succession of silly scandals. Not how those leaders were elected.
  • Options
    On the subject of Arizona, I am a massive Doug Ducey fan. He has been an outstanding Governor, who has governed for all Arizonans, and ran a business friendly state, while also investing in improving public services.

If he were running again, he would walk reelection.

I am not enamored by Ms Lake. Or the Democrat. If I had to choose, I would choose the Dem, because they don't seem to live in crazy election denial world.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

On the subject of Arizona, I am a massive Doug Ducey fan. He has been an outstanding Governor, who has governed for all Arizonans, and ran a business friendly state, while also investing in improving public services.

If he were running again, he would walk reelection.

I am not enamored by Ms Lake. Or the Democrat. If I had to choose, I would choose the Dem, because they don't seem to live in crazy election denial world.

Whoever wins, it will probably not be good for my business.
  • Options
    Entirely off-topic but entertaining (to me anyway). Bought a new phone. Was offered trade-in. On the list was "Moto G 2nd Gen 64GB". If you know your budget Moto phones from a decade ago you may remember the G2. I had one sat in the drawer, checked it powered on and wasn't damaged (miraculously after the life it has had...) and sent it in. As it was apparently worth £70!!!!!

They have just responded back valuing it at £0 (which matches my own). What puzzles me is that they are disputing what I sent - UNKNOWN MODEL. Well yes, because the model you list does not exist. 64GB of memory wasn't a thing in budget handsets in 2014. So yes, it doesn't match the description because nothing does.

Anyway, they are posting it back to me! Tracked 24 each way plus time checking the handset isn't cheap, so I assume they make £dollah from somewhere. Not remotely bothered that they aren't paying me £lots for a phone that was living a happy retirement in my drawer, but a little puzzled as to what they think they are asking for. Various dinosaurs also on the list which I assume are also not worth the values their website shows...
  • Options

dixiedean said:

There havent been many. She led in one in February, Hobbs now has a 5 point lead. The trouble with the polling is its hypotheticals - almost 100% certain to be Hobbs defending but then against a maybe or maybe opponent which always skews things as Lake supporters wont say Robson and vice versa but may do now the race is settled. I anticipate the polling closing in to a dead heat now the head to head is clarified. The republicans had a record turnout for the primaries so unless Robson supporters switch i think Lake has a very good chance as does Masters against Kelly for Senate (same hypothetical polling issue there before now too)
    Whoops, Hobbs is SoS not governor of course, but she was hot favourite to get the nod wheras the repub battke was always a bum pincher
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,750
    edited August 2022

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Not on here.

It must be admitted that the PCW started off by throwing together a design based on, IIRC, a job lot of non-standard three-inch (?) disc drives that had lost out to competition with the smaller PC format disc and were knocking around at minimal cost. I rather suspect everyone was very surprised when the PCW turned out to be so popular that they had to put the disc drives back into production! (Though I adapted mine with a PC 5.25" drive as well.) I don't suppose the little green screen was very high tech even then, either.

It wasn't. Certainly the screens on the CPC (Amstrad's first computer range, before the PCW) were TV-grade displays, not monitor-grade displays. It was the CPC that started the 3-inch thing and for exactly the reason you say.

But it was a well-designed piece of kit even so. I wrote a piece of software for the PCW which sold reasonably well in its latter days!
    Yes, of course you're right about the CPC pioneering the little discs - had forgotten about that. I used my external PC disc drive to read/write to PC disc so I could send in articles to magazines on their format, using the Royal Mail.

The [edit] PCW printer wasn't great - a basic dot matrix with typewriter style ribbon. But running it as a dedicated addon from inside the computer saved a lot of gubbins in the printer, and therefore money. All in all just what people needed for a home office without too much tricky techy stuff. My elderly mum and her cousin both got one and it was a lead-in to a more conventional PC in later years for them and others.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,627
    edited August 2022
    FPT

Message to OGH: Conservative voting letter arrived today.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,189
    Off Topic

Gordon Bennett! The BBC are offloading top presenters left right and centre, and yet the utterly abject Paddy O'Connell in on EVERYTHING! He's on Radio 2 whenever Vine is away and he's on any old nonsense like Broadcasting House that Radio 4 can muster, but today this total halfwit is on R4 PM AND Any Questions? Why? He's dreadful.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,218
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

She is genuinely deplorable in several ways, yet the way she doesn't take any shit, and the way she brings the fight back to the hacks. It is impressive

Whether it's impressive or not depends on whether she's using it to puncture media nonsense or to deflect scrutiny. It's almost always the latter with far right populists.
    I'm talking about the media skill NOT the actual politics. A lot of what she claims to believe is pernicious nonsense

But does she have a presence on TV? Yes. Is she good at bitch-slapping journos? Also Yes. Could she make it to the White House? Why not. If she wins the AZ governorship, then I could see Trump making her his running mate in 2024, and then - whether he wins or not - she is ideally placed for 2028

Paradoxically, however, she needs to rein in the Trumpist conspiracy bollocks to win Arizona. A difficult maneuver
    Sense she's another narcissist on the make. And of course we now know such a person CAN be president outside of Ballard novels. So not a completely crazy suggestion.

But my point - re this 'bitchslapping journos" ability that you're celebrating - is whether it's a quality or a vice depends on what she's reacting to.

Eg in British terms:

Labour politician being hassled with the tedious "What is a woman?" question by Kay Burley. They bitchslap her. GOOD.

Labour politician being asked wtf does Starmer mean by "strong secure peaceful fair growth?" by - yes why not - Kay Burley. They bitchslap her. BAD.

Bet Lake is all about the 2nd sort. Using a facility for sarcasm and putdown to avoid scrutiny.
    You are mentally incapable of examining an issue without your narrow moralising mindset intruding

IF I said "Hitler made powerful speeches" you'd say, "Yes, but he killed 6m Jews so they were bad speeches"

What's the point? Debating with you is like debating with a highly educated child

That's a genuinely dim and disappointing response. My point - that whether a facility for putting down questioners is a good or a bad thing depends on the reason it's being deployed - has nothing to do with moralizing and wasn't (imo) hard to grasp. But you seemed not to, so I illustrated it, went the extra mile.

But ok, if all you want to do is pronounce droolingly that this new love object of yours - Kari Lake - is terrific at "bitchslapping journos", end of, rather than talk about it and explore it a little bit, that's fine by me. Great. Very interesting. Thanks for the linked clip. Give the man a biscuit.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

She has a much better chance than that. And part of the reason she has a decent chance is the same reason she is interesting: for a political novice she is extremely confident and assured, and quite compelling on TV. She knows how to use the medium. She’s an ex tv anchor

If you had to construct the perfect Trumpite female prez candidate it would look something like Lake. Attractive, plausible, lucid, combative. White soccer mom with guns. She has a supportive husband and apparently nice kids. She’s a smarter, cannier Sarah Palin with less baggage

So she is INTERESTING. We shouldn’t turn away from interesting if distantly placed candidates out of dislike

If she wins in November she becomes a real player
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Not on here.

Yes, of course you're right about the CPC pioneering the little discs - had forgotten about that. I used my external PC disc drive to read/write to PC disc so I could send in articles to magazines on their format, using the Royal Mail.

The [edit] PCW printer wasn't great - a basic dot matrix with typewriter style ribbon. But running it as a dedicated addon from inside the computer saved a lot of gubbins in the printer, and therefore money. All in all just what people needed for a home office without too much tricky techy stuff. My elderly mum and her cousin both got one and it was a lead-in to a more conventional PC in later years for them and others.
    I don't know why Amstrad / Sugar gets bad press. He built a stack of affordable hifi/TV gear which got technology into homes that probably wouldn't have been here had the big brands kept prices high. And his computers absolutely demolished a price floor that kept PCs out of normal people's reach. It was only the duff HDD saga (not their fault) that properly sunk them.

Yes he is an arsehole. But what does that have to do with big business? They're almost ALL arseholes. That's how you get to run a big business...
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,007

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Nigelb said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Or did you mean God ?
    I also thought Major was good. Hague was pretty good as a leader also. I think @hyufd is getting cause and correlation mixed up. There are lots of other reasons why a PM/leader wins or loses. Whether they were elected by MPs or members is only one of them, if at all. Major, Hague and Howard had other rather bigger problems. And as Mark showed there are plenty of counter examples.
    The 2 worst defeats the Tories suffered since universal suffrage were under Major in 1997 and Hague in 2001.

Now Major was not too bad a PM and part of that was down to Blair having more appeal than any Labour leader before to Middle England but neither were exactly great leaders of the party
    The lesson that should be remembered from that period is that the Tories, who should be the natural party of government, became unpopular when they went down an ideological rabbit hole and got mired in a succession of silly scandals. Not how those leaders were elected.
    Labour also appointed the most centrist leader in their postwar history.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    edited August 2022
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Having Good/God as leader against Blair would have been fun.

"Yes, I know Tony Blair. I bloody created him. And take it from me, he's a wrong 'un..."

"Well, I'm still going to vote for h - "

BOOOOOOM

"Erm, my Lord, I think there is a risk of a backlash if you smite everyone who isn't a possible...."
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,750

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Not on here.

I don't know why Amstrad / Sugar gets bad press. He built a stack of affordable hifi/TV gear which got technology into homes that probably wouldn't have been here had the big brands kept prices high. And his computers absolutely demolished a price floor that kept PCs out of normal people's reach. It was only the duff HDD saga (not their fault) that properly sunk them.

Yes he is an arsehole. But what does that have to do with big business? They're almost ALL arseholes. That's how you get to run a big business...
    Quite - he has a small but real place in my family's collective heart for his PCWs. Plenty of good karma for that, whatever one might think of that apprentice TV series (have never seen it myself anyway).
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,335
    HYUFD said:

Roger said:

Isn't it time for Ed Davey to come out and say unequivocally that if the Lib Dems win the next election they will immediately set in train reversing Brexit. No referendum needed. His manifesto will be his mandate.

He has never been in a better position. The country is in favour of rejoining and the financial position now we've left is dire and getting worse. On WATO they were talking about the possibility of real human hardship next year. The situation could be apocalyptic.

As a USP for a third line Party the situation couldn't be better. Starmer has abandoned it for a mushy Trussesque God-knows-what which leaves the Greens the Lib Dems and the Scottish Nats fully in favour. Perfect for the revival of the Liberal Party.

Starmer is offering nothing other than not being Tory. The Tories are dead in the water. The country needs a new movement and joining the EU Euro and all is tailor made.

The only areas where most voters would not only want to rejoin the EU but join the Euro too are in inner London and university cities elsewhere like Manchester, Liverpool and Edinburgh and Cambridge, Bristol and Oxford which had huge Remain majorities.

The LDs main target seats however are mainly Tory home counties seats which only narrowly voted Remain in 2016 or narrowly voted Leave
    Also, it would reduce the chance of defeating the Conservatives - yes, I agree that's not the only point of politics, but after 12 years and counting it does deserve consideration. If the Tories can say "Labour in power would depend on the LibDems who are fanatically keen to rejoin", then Starmer will have to double down on "Labour will absolutely refuse to rejoin". Net effect: LDs piss off those Blue Wallers who aren't rejoiners, Labour pisses off the Rejoiners, and yes, Rejoiners feel happier casting the LD/Lab/Green votes they will probably do anyway. Since it won't actually happen in the next Parliament (so it'll go down as Another Broken Promise), all it would really do is make the Tories happy.

I'm not sure if the Greens are unambiguously in favour, incidentally? They used to be positively pro-Brexit for Lexit reasons, but although they were Remainers at the election (mostly in reaction to the Tories, I think), are they Rejoiners now?

The public consensus is IMO for reasonable cooperation with the EU to make things work better, including if necessary concessions about the ECHR role, common standards etc. but not embarking on rejoining for now. I'd vote to rejoin tomorrow, but you and I are not typical.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

She has a much better chance than that. And part of the reason she has a decent chance is the same reason she is interesting: for a political novice she is extremely confident and assured, and quite compelling on TV. She knows how to use the medium. She’s an ex tv anchor

If you had to construct the perfect Trumpite female prez candidate it would look something like Lake. Attractive, plausible, lucid, combative. White soccer mom with guns. She has a supportive husband and apparently nice kids. She’s a smarter, cannier Sarah Palin with less baggage

So she is INTERESTING. We shouldn’t turn away from interesting if distantly placed candidates out of dislike

Indeed. But, Lake, like a lot of these Trumpy candidates is a novice. At some point one of them will be exposed as a novice who has not been school in the art of politics by fecking up on something that a seasoned pro wouldn't. Trump got away with all his feck ups, but will these lesser characters?

• Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Eg in British terms:

That's a genuinely dim and disappointing response. My point - that whether a facility for putting down questioners is a good or a bad thing depends on the reason it's being deployed - has nothing to do with moralizing and wasn't (imo) hard to grasp. But you seemed not to, so I illustrated it, went the extra mile.

But ok, if all you want to do is pronounce droolingly that this new love object of yours - Kari Lake - is terrific at "bitchslapping journos", end of, rather than talk about it and explore it a little bit, that's fine by me. Great. Very interesting. Thanks for the linked clip. Give the man a biscuit.
    No. ‘Depends on the reason being deployed’. Is your criterion. Right here. You went and wrote it down and everything

That’s introducing morality - your opinion of the candidate’s political/moral worth. It is not relevant as to whether she is good at bitchslapping hacks. She is. One of the best I’ve seen
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Nigelb said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Or did you mean God ?

Major was less ideological than Thatcher and Hague was less ideological than Howard
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216

Nigelb said:

Presidential pardons on their way in 2025!
    America is so fucked up it is incredible.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    edited August 2022
    Of course, it's so simple!

Speaking in Dallas on Thursday, Mr Orban did not directly address that furore, but said: "A Christian politician cannot be racist."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-62431415

On the other hand, you cannot accuse him of not being self aware of how he is regarded.

"I can already see tomorrow's headlines," he said. "Far-right European racist and anti-Semite strongman, Trojan horse of Putin, holds speech at conservative conference".
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

Isn't it time for Ed Davey to come out and say unequivocally that if the Lib Dems win the next election they will immediately set in train reversing Brexit. No referendum needed. His manifesto will be his mandate.

He has never been in a better position. The country is in favour of rejoining and the financial position now we've left is dire and getting worse. On WATO they were talking about the possibility of real human hardship next year. The situation could be apocalyptic.

As a USP for a third line Party the situation couldn't be better. Starmer has abandoned it for a mushy Trussesque God-knows-what which leaves the Greens the Lib Dems and the Scottish Nats fully in favour. Perfect for the revival of the Liberal Party.

Starmer is offering nothing other than not being Tory. The Tories are dead in the water. The country needs a new movement and joining the EU Euro and all is tailor made.

The only areas where most voters would not only want to rejoin the EU but join the Euro too are in inner London and university cities elsewhere like Manchester, Liverpool and Edinburgh and Cambridge, Bristol and Oxford which had huge Remain majorities.

The LDs main target seats however are mainly Tory home counties seats which only narrowly voted Remain in 2016 or narrowly voted Leave
    Also, it would reduce the chance of defeating the Conservatives - yes, I agree that's not the only point of politics, but after 12 years and counting it does deserve consideration. If the Tories can say "Labour in power would depend on the LibDems who are fanatically keen to rejoin", then Starmer will have to double down on "Labour will absolutely refuse to rejoin". Net effect: LDs piss off those Blue Wallers who aren't rejoiners, Labour pisses off the Rejoiners, and yes, Rejoiners feel happier casting the LD/Lab/Green votes they will probably do anyway. Since it won't actually happen in the next Parliament (so it'll go down as Another Broken Promise), all it would really do is make the Tories happy.

I'm not sure if the Greens are unambiguously in favour, incidentally? They used to be positively pro-Brexit for Lexit reasons, but although they were Remainers at the election (mostly in reaction to the Tories, I think), are they Rejoiners now?

The public consensus is IMO for reasonable cooperation with the EU to make things work better, including if necessary concessions about the ECHR role, common standards etc. but not embarking on rejoining for now. I'd vote to rejoin tomorrow, but you and I are not typical.
    Exactly, the redwall Leave seats are vital for Labour to get into power, the bluewall narrow Remain/narrow Leave seats are the main LD target seats.

The strongly pro Remain inner city seats are largely safe Labour anyway so irrelevant electorally. The Greens might try a rejoin the EU and join the Euro ticket to make inroads there but they would only dent the Labour majority at most.
  • Options

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Indeed. But, Lake, like a lot of these Trumpy candidates is a novice. At some point one of them will be exposed as a novice who has not been school in the art of politics by fecking up on something that a seasoned pro wouldn't. Trump got away with all his feck ups, but will these lesser characters?

That’s fair. She is absurdly inexperienced. She is surely betting on her ascent being so fast this is never exposed. You can see how. She wins in November. She’s an electrifying new voice. She becomes popular quick

Trump chooses her as VP, for 2024 (or DeSantis does?). A woman would be perfect for either of them

Then she is ideally placed for a run in 2028

GO KARI

Of course she has the problem that several of her opinions are completely bat-noodle Q’anon crazy. She has to tack subtly to the center
  • Options
    Has @kinabalu instructed us on Truss’s motives for her Savile tweet yet? Without our emperor of morals giving us the fateful thumb up or down, I can’t decide whether to support her..
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

That’s fair. She is absurdly inexperienced. She is surely betting on her ascent being so fast this is never exposed. You can see how. She wins in November. She’s an electrifying new voice. She becomes popular quick

Trump chooses her as VP, for 2024 (or DeSantis does?). A woman would be perfect for either of them

GO KARI

Of course she has the problem that several of her opinions are completely bat-noodle Q’anon crazy. She has to tack subtly to the center
    Leon said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

GO KARI

On current polling Lake could lose the Arizona governorship and DeSantis lose the Florida governorship in November.

In which case they would be irrelevant for 2024/28
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,238
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Eg in British terms:

Since quite a lot of the speeches were about the importance of killing Jews, Kinabalu would be right about that!
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Off Topic

Gordon Bennett! The BBC are offloading top presenters left right and centre, and yet the utterly abject Paddy O'Connell in on EVERYTHING! He's on Radio 2 whenever Vine is away and he's on any old nonsense like Broadcasting House that Radio 4 can muster, but today this total halfwit is on R4 PM AND Any Questions? Why? He's dreadful.

The good ones go on holiday in August. That's why you get the 2nd team
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Eg in British terms:

Since quite a lot of the speeches were about the importance of killing Jews, Kinabalu would be right about that!
    @kinabalu seems genuinely incapable of distinguishing between ‘this is a person doing a good job’ and ‘this is a good person doing a job’
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,257
    edited August 2022
    Leon said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

GO KARI

Does she have to tack subtly to the centre? Did Trump?
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,034
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

And?

Indeed.
    Grifter?!

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

And?

Indeed.
    Grifter?!

Not really.
    No, you just didn't understand the term

EDIT: I am wrong. I just checked. People have, recently, been using grifter to mean a politician who is in politics solely to make money

https://politicaldictionary.com/words/grifter/

I deplore this usage. The word grifter should be reserved for petty swindlers, because it captures them brilliantly. There are surely better words for greedy political charlatans. But I can't argue with the usage of the language
    That’s a natural derivation - the argument is that politicians like that are selling something they don’t believe in order to make money. You’d never call a Saunders (belief) or McConnell (serious politician vs just about money) a grifter for example.

Effectively they are swindling the voters
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,905
    Kari Lake sounds like a knock-off computer component.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,218
    edited August 2022
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Eg in British terms:

No. ‘Depends on the reason being deployed’. Is your criterion. Right here. You went and wrote it down and everything

That’s introducing morality - your opinion of the candidate’s political/moral worth. It is not relevant as to whether she is good at bitchslapping hacks. She is. One of the best I’ve seen
    I just genuinely don't know what the problem is with this communication. YES, that message - that she's good at 'it' - is once again received loud and clear. And once again, thank you.

I was seeking (although I'm not now, tbh, I've lost interest, don't want to work this hard, esp on a Friday) an evolution in the discourse. I was asking whether she, this ghastly Kari Lake person who has caught your attention, who you adore, when she goes about her "bitchslapping journos" business, is doing it to fend off crap or to dodge scrutiny?

There is a difference there and it's an important one. But like I say, I don't want an answer now even if you're finally understanding the question.

Goodbye.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Eg in British terms:

I just genuinely don't know what the problem is with this communication. YES, that message - that she's good at 'it' - is once again received loud and clear. And once again, thank you.

I was seeking (although I'm not now, tbh, I've lost interest) an evolution in the discourse. I was asking whether she, this ghastly Kari Lake person who has caught your attention, who you adore, when she goes about her "bitchslapping journos" business, is doing it to fend off crap or to dodge scrutiny?

There is a difference there and it's an important one. But like I say, I don't want an answer now even if you're finally understanding the question.

Goodbye.
    Deary me

TBH I think the confusion here just comes from your poor use of English

You should have simply said "Yeah OK she's skilled at putting down journalists, but she's a con artist, and doing it to avoid scrutiny, so I don't like her"

That would have said all you wanted or needed to say. Trouble is it's a jejune and uninteresting point, so you tried to tart it up by getting all fancy with your prose. Didn't work. Stay in your lane, accountant
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,505
    Mike Smithson said: "I am coming to the conclusion that having party memberships elect the leader is not a good thing."

I have had similar thoughts about leader selections here in the United States. I prefer open primaries to closed primaries to caucuses, in large part because activists have the most influence in the latter. (In open primaries, independents, as well as party members, can vote.)

(And I will admit that, when the old machines chose candidates for competitive races, they often picked competent, moderate men, for example, Paul Douglas and Adlai Stevenson.)
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,098

Has @kinabalu instructed us on Truss’s motives for her Savile tweet yet? Without our emperor of morals giving us the fateful thumb up or down, I can’t decide whether to support her..

He has pretty stiff competition from the various princelings of morality when it comes to the 'right' attitude to the war in Ukraine. They certainly help me to question my position on said war.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,000

He has pretty stiff competition from the various princelings of morality when it comes to the 'right' attitude to the war in Ukraine. They certainly help me to question my position on said war.
    Really? Please explain.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

GO KARI

Does she have to tack subtly to the centre? Did Trump?
    Karizona '22 is a lock. I'm calling it early like Fox in 2020 and unlike Fox in 2022
  • Options

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Having Good/God as leader against Blair would have been fun.

"Yes, I know Tony Blair. I bloody created him. And take it from me, he's a wrong 'un..."

"Well, I'm still going to vote for h - "

BOOOOOOM

"Erm, my Lord, I think there is a risk of a backlash if you smite everyone who isn't a possible...."
    Would make life difficult for the foot soldiers getting an accurate canvas too 😂
  • Options

Funny, I never thought of you as an unabashed Salmond supporter.
  • Options

Are you saying that people’s certainty that Putin is evil and Russia is acting grotesquely is making you warm to him?!

You ought to retreat from so near lunacy
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,226
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

And?

Indeed.
    Grifter?!

Trump is the king grifter.
  • Options
    Tres said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

And?

Indeed.
    Grifter?!

Trump is the king grifter.
    Well, that's his goal. He's fallen a bit short of it so far. Just a one-term President, not a King.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Of course, it's so simple!

Speaking in Dallas on Thursday, Mr Orban did not directly address that furore, but said: "A Christian politician cannot be racist."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-62431415

On the other hand, you cannot accuse him of not being self aware of how he is regarded.

"I can already see tomorrow's headlines," he said. "Far-right European racist and anti-Semite strongman, Trojan horse of Putin, holds speech at conservative conference".

At face value that statement is true

A Christian who lives by the golden rule “love thy neighbour as thyself” will treat people equally regardless of skin colour

Someone who is racist does not do that

Therefore someone who is racist cannot be a Christian who abides by the golden rule (or at least attempts to - we are all fallible) and, if you assume the golden rule is central to what it means to be Christian, a racist cannot be a Christian.

Therefore a Christian politician cannot be a racist because if they are a racist then they are not a Christian politician

• Options
    Before PB-ers reach the entirely bogus assumption that my weird obsession with the remarkably attractive Ms Lake, with the excellent cheekbones, and really quite nice ankles for her age, and that petite swishy way she walks, and her smoky Arizona eyes, like blue desert twilights outside Sedona on a warm April eve, I'd just like to point out that my interest is entirely political, and also informed

I follow quite a lot of Trumpites on Twitter. Just as I follow quite a lot of Corbynites. People like Jack Posobiec and D'Souza

THEY are excited by Kari Lake. She has seized their imaginations. Which tells me something is up

• Options
    Leon said:

Before PB-ers reach the entirely bogus assumption that my weird obsession with the remarkably attractive Ms Lake, with the excellent cheekbones, and really quite nice ankles for her age, and that petite swishy way she walks, and her smoky Arizona eyes, like blue desert twilights outside Sedona on a warm April eve, I'd just like to point out that my interest is entirely political, and also informed

I follow quite a lot of Trumpites on Twitter. Just as I follow quite a lot of Corbynites. People like Jack Posobiec and D'Souza

THEY are excited by Kari Lake. She has seized their imaginations. Which tells me something is up

They're not the only ones. I do love your dry wit!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Eg in British terms:

Although does he mean “bad speeches” in the sense they were “poor” speeches technically or “speeches proposing a bad thing”?

You can have a good speech from technical perspective that makes a horrible case. Many of Hitler’s ( as other demagogues) fall into that category. It’s why we have the word “demagogue”
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,966
    edited August 2022
    Leon said:

Men of a certain age are firming up. That's for sure.
  • Options
    This thread has conceded to Kari Lake before Maricopa even starts counting
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Not on here.

The original Amstrad - makers of CPC and PCW computers - was built from the ground up.
    Yes, Lord Sugar (who reached government before Donald Trump, as a junior minister) had half a dozen or so brilliant ideas over his lifetime. The criticism would be that by not investing properly, each of his companies ran into a dead end instead of extending their technology to the next generation, whether it be hifi, PCs, satellite tv receivers, or email phones as the case may be; ok, maybe not the last one.

For instance, Amstrad was the second largest computer manufacturer in Europe, after Olivetti. Where's Amstrad now? Otoh, where is Olivetti?
  • Options
    New thread.
This discussion has been closed.