Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Sunak leads by 9% as appearing a PM in waiting – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,362

Amazing catch in this evening's women's cricket match incidentally. How do people manage to jump like that?

Don't tell Sean...
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,369

SeanT/Leon was right. They move amongst us. Spotted tonight at Goonhilly.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,102
    edited July 2022
    darkage said:

Wick station is only the 4th most northerly station, after Thurso, Georgemas Junction and Scotscalder, but serves as the terminus of the Far North Line.

Looks like you got there on a nice day. When I was at Wick it was in the middle of summer but grim. Freezing cold, wet.
    Yeah, it was dry, if not sunny, both days I was travelling by train. Guess I got lucky!
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440
    Remember that Rory Stewart won all sorts of this polling in 2019.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,983

kle4 said:

nico679 said:

So Truss wants to extend the Rwanda scheme . Next she’ll be promising to put them against a wall to be shot in her desperate attempt to ingratiate herself to the Tory Membership .

It's a bit racist to equate a well-funded settlement scheme in an African country with being shot.
    He didn't equate the scheme to being shot at all, he suggested an intentionally ridiculous escalation to go a lot further than the scheme.

You can regard the premise that the Tory membership are only interested in being tougher and tougher on potential migrants/asylum seekers as entirely incorrect, but the quote isn't saying the scheme is like being shot.

So its not the least bit racist about the scheme, it's comic exaggeration of the Tory membership (comedic value may be in the eye of the beholder) priorities.
    If the comic exaggeration ends up with shooting people, then the starting point has to be seen as something bad, and that's purely a function of the destination.

You've fallen at the first hurdle I'm afraid. It isn't 'purely' a function of the destination.

Some people think it is unlawful. Some people thinking it is unfair. Some people think it is transferring a problem of ours elsewhere which should be dealt with closer to home. Some people might be ok in principle but think it'll be ineffective and costly. And yes, some have raised objections specifically to it being Rwanda and their human rights record.

You may disagree with all of the other reasons, but while you and Trevor Noah may think the only objections have been that the destination is Rwanda, it isn't the case.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,759
    nico679 said:

nico679 said:

So Truss wants to extend the Rwanda scheme . Next she’ll be promising to put them against a wall to be shot in her desperate attempt to ingratiate herself to the Tory Membership .

It's a bit racist to equate a well-funded settlement scheme in an African country with being shot.
    The shooting would take place in a square in the UK with a baying mob of Tory members taking selfies and eating popcorn !
    Solid entertainment.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,759
    stodge said:

If you want to see how bad it can get for a centre-right Government head to Austria where the once dominant People's Party has sunk to third place in a poll for the first time since who knows when..

The latest poll for TV Osterreich is as follows (changes from last Federal election):

SPD: 31% (+10)
    Freedom Party (FPO): 23% (+7)
    People's Party (OVP): 20% (-17)
    NEOS: 11% (+3)
    Greens: 9% (-5)
    People, Freedom, Rights (MFG): 4% (new)

That means the governing OVP-Green coalition has fallen from 51% at the last election to 29% now.

Could an FPO-OVP coalition take over? I suspect the SPD-NEOS-Green option (analogous to Germany) is the other option.

Why is the OVP polling so badly (admittedly, Austria is now on to its ninth chancellor in six years).
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,647

Wick station is only the 4th most northerly station, after Thurso, Georgemas Junction and Scotscalder, but serves as the terminus of the Far North Line.

Have to confess I did Kyle of Lochalsh to Inverness in the 1980s - trains look much the same.

Also got to Fort William and right up to Mallaig - not such an inspiring end to the line.

Have to say Wick and Thurso look like mini-versions of Penzance.- Scrabster is two miles from Thurso and from there you can get a ferry to Stromness in the Orkney Islands.
  • I am sure I've posted this before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANirM3s2JpQ

But this is a great series if you want to understand more about New Labour. I fundamentally feel that under New Labour Britain was a country very much at ease with itself, we have lost that now, things seem a lot more nasty and divided.

I try to not look back at that time romantically but I do recall how good the NHS was then and how terrible it is now, as an example.
  • TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Tribalism has allowed Mankind to subjugate all other species. But unless it can extend to all of us together it will be our nemesis. And soon.

For reference, Neanderthal man survived in Europe for several hundred thousand years.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,455
    Scott_xP said:

Amazing catch in this evening's women's cricket match incidentally. How do people manage to jump like that?

Don't tell Sean...
    A clip of the catch.

https://live.nvplay.com/ecb/#m624377f1-80e5-4056-8429-59389c7ed2df$$2_033_04
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,456

Happy memories of a very pleasant holiday spent partly in Wick. A very pleasant town with some dramatic scenery around it.

Evening, peeps! Got back from Inverness mid-afternoon. Haven't commented since Thursday because I found the long train rides a little more exhausting than I envisaged, such that on both Thursday and Friday I fell asleep while browsing PB :lol:

Anyway, did Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh on Thursday, and Inverness to Thurso and Wick on Friday. Which means that, to all intents and purposes, I've done the official National Rail network. Except no! Barking Riverside station opened last Monday during the heatwave, so I'll have to do that this coming Monday (it's closed this weekend, so soon after opening).

Kyle of Lochalsh:

Were you awake when passing Reston?
    East Linton too ere long.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379

Westminster Voting Intention:

LAB: 42% (-1)
    CON: 31% (-1)
    LDM: 10% (+1)

via @DeltapollUK, 21-23 Jul

(Changes with 14 Apr)

I miss @HYUFD's translating these polls into seats to show the size of the Tory majority.
    You can see some of those again once Britain's third female/first Asian Prime Minister kisses the Queen's hand. 😉
    Lol, I think we need to see how much shit the contenders throw at each other during the campaign. Some of that shit is going to stick to the Conservative brand imo.

We haven't had that in the previous two changes: May was unopposed at this stage and Johnson was so far ahead and Hunt too nice to throw the dirt.
    Not sure I've said this before but love your photo, Ben
    Cheers CHB - yours is great too!
    edited July 2022

Evening, peeps! Got back from Inverness mid-afternoon. Haven't commented since Thursday because I found the long train rides a little more exhausting than I envisaged, such that on both Thursday and Friday I fell asleep while browsing PB :lol:

Anyway, did Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh on Thursday, and Inverness to Thurso and Wick on Friday. Which means that, to all intents and purposes, I've done the official National Rail network. Except no! Barking Riverside station opened last Monday during the heatwave, so I'll have to do that this coming Monday (it's closed this weekend, so soon after opening).

Kyle of Lochalsh:

Did you notice they had to cut room for sidings/engine shed into the rock? A little up the line from the platforms. The space was occupied by buildings last I was there, but it's pretty obvious.
    Carnyx said:

Kyle of Lochalsh:

Did you notice they had to cut room for sidings/engine shed into the rock? A little up the line from the platforms. The space was occupied by buildings last I was there, but it's pretty obvious.

You mean the reverse angle?
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,109
    British satellite champion on brink of takeover by the French
    Taxpayer-backed OneWeb in talks with Paris-listed rival accused of enabling ‘Russian war propaganda’

OneWeb, which was saved from collapse in 2020 with a state bailout at the urging of Mr Johnson’s then-aide Dominic Cummings, is in advanced talks to be acquired by Eutelsat

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/british-satellite-champion-on-brink-of-takeover-by-the-french/ar-AAZTORY
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,215

Brendan May: "Global citizen, EU passport holder 🇪🇺, British resident."

In other words, a wanker.
    Ah yes, that's consensus politics alright
    Let me let you into a little secret: I have zero time for non-patriots.

If you're not proud of your British citizenship and this country, then you have my contempt.

If you do, then I am very interested in views no matter what your political angle.
    My impression is that you sometimes interpret criticism of the specific as hatred of the general, and then you stop thinking as you've categorised it as something contemptible.

I think that I'm capable of feeling anger and shame at some specific actions taken by my country and in my name, while still feeling affection and affinity for my country's more positive unique characteristics.
    I can understand some people who hate Britain. For instance if you have been deprived of your citizenship and then deported by the Home office in the Windrush scandal. That would be one example. But it is quite an extreme example. A lot of hatred about Britain is just driven by a pathological lack of self confidence. It gets very annoying. Someone like Blair is, for all his flaws, an antidote to that. I think the labour party will struggle to find a leader who can convey a positive image of Britain. Starmer doesn't, which is a problem.

On the one hand it is good that even somone like Pence found his line in supporting Trump (that line being 'Trump supporting people who would have liked to kill Pence'), but on the other its incredible that even being willing to back other candidates Pence still won't call out Trump.

Donald Trump and his former vice-president, Mike Pence, have held rival rallies for Republican candidates hoping to be Arizona's state governor.

Mr Trump spoke at an event for Kari Lake, who backs his false claims about election fraud, while Mr Pence supports her opponent, Karrin Taylor Robson...

He did not criticise Mr Trump or refer to the election controversy during his speech.

However, he said later in a tweet that "if the Republican Party allows itself to become consumed by yesterday's grievances, we will lose".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-62278002
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,869

Good to see that you had a successful trip.

The first time I went to Wick was in July 1983 behind 37260. Two days earlier it was 37035 to Thurso. And two days before that 26041 to Kyle of Lochalsh.

Jonathan said:

SeanT/Leon was right. They move amongst us. Spotted tonight at Goonhilly.

I just find it amazing they can wall up and down walls.
    Sean_F said:

stodge said:

If you want to see how bad it can get for a centre-right Government head to Austria where the once dominant People's Party has sunk to third place in a poll for the first time since who knows when..

The latest poll for TV Osterreich is as follows (changes from last Federal election):

That means the governing OVP-Green coalition has fallen from 51% at the last election to 29% now.

Could an FPO-OVP coalition take over? I suspect the SPD-NEOS-Green option (analogous to Germany) is the other option.

Why is the OVP polling so badly (admittedly, Austria is now on to its ninth chancellor in six years).
    Basically, it's the fallout from the dramatic fall of Sebastian Kurz who for a while completely dominated Austrian politics as OVP leader and Chancellor. He was forced to resign last October following a corruption investigation and was such a strong presence in the background he was called the "Shadow Chancellor" and many thought he was still pulling the strings.

Eventually, he was forced out of politics completely last December - Schallenberg, who had been the Chancellor, also quit and one Karl Nehammer, the Interior Minister, ended up taking over both the leadership of the OVP and the role of Chancellor.

All this, which has some parallels to current events in the UK, left the OVP looking self-absorbed and unable to meet the challenges of rising energy prices and inflation - meanwhile, the SPD has improved its image and credibility under Pamela Rendi-Wagner. Oddly enough, despite a strong pro-Putin stance, the Freedom Party has also prospered from the OVP's problems and has moved into second in the current poll.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,369

British satellite champion on brink of takeover by the French
    Taxpayer-backed OneWeb in talks with Paris-listed rival accused of enabling ‘Russian war propaganda’

OneWeb, which was saved from collapse in 2020 with a state bailout at the urging of Mr Johnson’s then-aide Dominic Cummings, is in advanced talks to be acquired by Eutelsat

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/british-satellite-champion-on-brink-of-takeover-by-the-french/ar-AAZTORY

Eutelsat, which broadcasts TV channels in Russia and has been accused of enabling “the Russian war propaganda machine”. The French state holds a 20pc stake in Eutelsat.

The French supporting Russia again.....
    darkage said:

I can understand some people who hate Britain. For instance if you have been deprived of your citizenship and then deported by the Home office in the Windrush scandal. That would be one example. But it is quite an extreme example. A lot of hatred about Britain is just driven by a pathological lack of self confidence. It gets very annoying. Someone like Blair is, for all his flaws, an antidote to that. I think the labour party will struggle to find a leader who can convey a positive image of Britain. Starmer doesn't, which is a problem.

Hating this Government is not the same as hating Britain.

Equating the two is fascism
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,273
    darkage said:

Brendan May: "Global citizen, EU passport holder 🇪🇺, British resident."

In other words, a wanker.
    Ah yes, that's consensus politics alright
    Let me let you into a little secret: I have zero time for non-patriots.

If you're not proud of your British citizenship and this country, then you have my contempt.

If you do, then I am very interested in views no matter what your political angle.
    My impression is that you sometimes interpret criticism of the specific as hatred of the general, and then you stop thinking as you've categorised it as something contemptible.

I think that I'm capable of feeling anger and shame at some specific actions taken by my country and in my name, while still feeling affection and affinity for my country's more positive unique characteristics.

I've pointed out before that Labour has only ever won when they had a positive forward looking optimism.
    In tune with the times.
    Unfortunately for them, there isn't a great deal to be positive about the times just now.
    stodge said:

Sean_F said:

stodge said:

Basically, it's the fallout from the dramatic fall of Sebastian Kurz who for a while completely dominated Austrian politics as OVP leader and Chancellor. He was forced to resign last October following a corruption investigation and was such a strong presence in the background he was called the "Shadow Chancellor" and many thought he was still pulling the strings.

Eventually, he was forced out of politics completely last December - Schallenberg, who had been the Chancellor, also quit and one Karl Nehammer, the Interior Minister, ended up taking over both the leadership of the OVP and the role of Chancellor.

All this, which has some parallels to current events in the UK, left the OVP looking self-absorbed and unable to meet the challenges of rising energy prices and inflation - meanwhile, the SPD has improved its image and credibility under Pamela Rendi-Wagner. Oddly enough, despite a strong pro-Putin stance, the Freedom Party has also prospered from the OVP's problems and has moved into second in the current poll.
    He dominated his country's politics and then has seen his career fall entirely, and he's still younger than me. Depressing.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    nico679 said:

nico679 said:

The shooting would take place in a square in the UK with a baying mob of Tory members taking selfies and eating popcorn !
    At least if they put all their political opponents up against the wall, they won't feel the need to compromise the integrity of the electoral system. No more voter suppression tactics required, and we retain a free and fair electoral system.
    kle4 said:

He dominated his country's politics and then has seen his career fall entirely, and he's still younger than me. Depressing.

Hasn't he always been younger than you?

He's always been younger than me if that's any consolation.

Carnyx said:

Kyle of Lochalsh:

You mean the reverse angle?
    Bit further, round the corner, I think? But on checking it has been redeveloped from what I recall (Douglas Row). Thew rock cutting is clear in the old OS map however, where the local shed and turntable are sunken into the native ground contour.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/82902924
    https://www.google.com/maps/@57.2827299,-5.7152633,337m/data=!3m1!1e3

The NLS is excellent for old maps - has also a special section for you

https://maps.nls.uk/transport/railways/
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,611
    Scott_xP said:

darkage said:

When you recover from Brexit, you'll probably become a Truss loyalist. :)

you'll probably become a Truss loyalist.

I am a Conservative, so no...
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,650
    Be proud of your country or do one?

I am neither proud nor ashamed. Flag-shagging seems odd.
    stodge said:

kle4 said:

Was he younger than you in 1963?
    stodge said:

kle4 said:

He has, but it'd be less depressing if he was still a powerful force, not that he's already had his rise and fall, and I've yet to have my rise.
    stodge said:

Have to confess I did Kyle of Lochalsh to Inverness in the 1980s - trains look much the same.

Also got to Fort William and right up to Mallaig - not such an inspiring end to the line.

Have to say Wick and Thurso look like mini-versions of Penzance.- Scrabster is two miles from Thurso and from there you can get a ferry to Stromness in the Orkney Islands.
    Mallaig has its merits. In the 1970s/80s I would get a parcel of local kippers to put into the luggage rack to take home for ther family, on the way home from a sailing or walking trip (proper rakes of Mark 1 compartment coaches with ventilator windows, just right for the summer).
    darkage said:

On the subject of railways, I am thinking of doing a trip around Norway. Oslo - Stavanger - Bergen (by ferry) - Trondheim - Bodo: up in the far north. Its amazing value for money if you book in advance, ie most of the intercity legs are £20, and you can get your own sleeper cabin for about £70.

Going even further north than Bodo, the ferry and bus network is very good, almost incredible. From Bodo you can get a boat to the lofoten islands, then a bus across the lofoten islands (1 day), then a hydrofoil from Harstad to Tromso (3 hours). You could even keep going all the way to the Russian border through a combination of busses and boats. It isn't particularly expensive. There is just an absolutely phenomenal amount of busses, boats and flights for such a sparsely populated country. Paradise!

Mm, some very nice-sounding ideas there.
  • agingjb2agingjb2 Posts: 109
    But having reached Mallaig, there are splendid boat trips to or around the Small Isles.
    kle4 said:

stodge said:

kle4 said:

He has, but it'd be less depressing if he was still a powerful force, not that he's already had his rise and fall, and I've yet to have my rise.
    Even more depressing is you probably have. I certainly have.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,649
    stodge said:

Surprised to hear that as they were running locomotive hauled trains (Class 37s) along it when I first went over it in 1994. They were replaced with 158s the following year.

Beautiful line and something amazingly satisfying about being hauled along it by a 37 with the grunt of its engines.
    Straying into Grauniad territory, shirley?

I can't read the article (££) but there was a Zoe podcast recently making the point that a lots of so-called sourdough bread sold by supermarkets was nothing of the sort.
    agingjb2 said:

But having reached Mallaig, there are splendid boat trips to or around the Small Isles.

Oh yes! I remember the old converted minesweeper/corvette that was the ferry in the late 1970s. Rolled like a greased pig. I did blink when I read in the newspaper that it sprang a leak and foundered one day, or rather night - very fortunately when tied up at the pier in Mallaig.

*checks* Yes, memory still spot on:

https://www.shipsofcalmac.co.uk/ships-1/Loch-Arkaig
    dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

stodge said:

kle4 said:

Even more depressing is you probably have. I certainly have.
    Way to spoil my dreams, dixiedean!

Scott_xP said:

darkage said:

When you recover from Brexit, you'll probably become a Truss loyalist. :)
    When Britain recovers from Brexit, we'll probably all be long dead.
    edited July 2022

Straying into Grauniad territory, shirley?

I can't read the article (££) but there was a Zoe podcast recently making the point that a lots of so-called sourdough bread sold by supermarkets was nothing of the sort.
    There seems to be lots of iffy stuff goes on with stretching of the truth in world of food descriptions because very difficult to legally define / enforce e.g. locally sourced, "freshest" ingredients, natural flavourings....none of those have to mean what you think they do.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,511
    That electric doobie seems to have made Leon a bit too apathetic and distant for my liking.
  • @Scott_xP how close do you think we are politically
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,761
    darkage said:

On the subject of railways, I am thinking of doing a trip around Norway. Oslo - Stavanger - Bergen (by ferry) - Trondheim - Bodo: up in the far north. Its amazing value for money if you book in advance, ie most of the intercity legs are £20, and you can get your own sleeper cabin for about £70.

Going even further north than Bodo, the ferry and bus network is very good, almost incredible. From Bodo you can get a boat to the lofoten islands, then a bus across the lofoten islands (1 day), then a hydrofoil from Harstad to Tromso (3 hours). You could even keep going all the way to the Russian border through a combination of busses and boats. It isn't particularly expensive. There is just an absolutely phenomenal amount of busses, boats and flights for such a sparsely populated country. Paradise!

Have you considered coming back on Swedens Inland railway? It looks quite pretty.

https://res.inlandsbanan.se/en
    kyf_100 said:

Which one is Leon?

We Went Alien Hunting With Conspiracy Theorists
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No5C6YRzZ74

"Oh God, aliens... Your explanation for anything slightly peculiar is aliens, isn't it? You lose your keys - it's aliens. A picture falls off the wall - it's aliens. That time we used up a whole bog roll in a day, you thought that was aliens as well!" - Dave Lister
    True story, I had the other Rimmer/Lister conversation about aliens essentially verbatim with a relative only a few weeks ago, when they brought up Stonegenge and the Pyramids (I know they need not necessarily have been made by slaves).

Rimmer: I mean like the pyramids. How did they move such massive pieces of stone without the aid of modern technology?
    Lister: They had massive whips, Rimmer. Massive, massive whips.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,869
    ydoethur said:

stodge said:

Surprised to hear that as they were running locomotive hauled trains (Class 37s) along it when I first went over it in 1994. They were replaced with 158s the following year.

Beautiful line and something amazingly satisfying about being hauled along it by a 37 with the grunt of its engines.
    Any journey behind a 37 is satisfying!

Even more so when you need to get the red pen out.
  • Rishi: I would cap refugees

CoL, anyone? Hello?
    edited July 2022
    moonshine said:

That electric doobie seems to have made Leon a bit too apathetic and distant for my liking.

Talking of similar things...

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/jul/23/child-vaping-epidemic-risks-becoming-public-health-catastrophe-in-uk-experts-warn

I was around a friends who has teenage kids a couple weekends ago and they never stopped puffing on the things. Apparently single use ones are all the rage.

Rishi: I would cap refugees

CoL, anyone? Hello?

Not a priority for the selectorate, sad to say.
  • pingping Posts: 3,805
    edited July 2022
    Thing is, the Chorleywood process (and other innovations in recent decades) is wot means you can buy a loaf of reasonably nutritious bread in the supermarket for under 50p, sometimes as little as 25p. We’ve made incredible advancements. And, despite me doing a reasonable amount of research on it, I just can’t see the problem. Sure, your 25p loaf (and, well, any loaf under about £2.50) has chemicals and preservatives in it, but there isn’t any evidence that they cause health problems.

As Tim Minchin once screamed during his comedy routine, “EVERYTHING IS CHEMICALS!”

That said, there is a bit of a labelling problem. I’m trying to shift over to rye bread and most of the loaves which advertise themselves as “rye bread” are, basically, regular wheat bread with a token amount of rye. The worst offender I almost bought had 3% rye, the rest white flour.

So, yeah, the telegraph (and these specialist bakers) do have a point.

Rich peoples problems, though!
    kle4 said:

stodge said:

kle4 said:

I've noticed a definite phenomenon of people who rise too soon and then crash out and cannot come to terms with it, ending up as bitter derelicts. That's probably the worst place to be. The main thing I think is to just try and do work that is meaningful and reasonably well paid and at the right level for you, and to keep going probably until you are 68.
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,762

Countries at ease with themselves and their place in the world have no need for flag shagging. Countries that have lost their place in the world, or who think they should be more important than they are, need to flag shag.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,455

I think flags are cool. Although tricolours are a bit samey and boring.

Countries at ease with themselves and their place in the world have no need for flag shagging. Countries that have lost their place in the world, or who think they should be more important than they are, need to flag shag.
    And America of course.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910
    dixiedean said:

CoL, anyone? Hello?

It is possible to have more than one priority.
  • pm215pm215 Posts: 1,093

Kyle of Lochalsh:

When I was there a few years back somebody was delivering a wind turbine blade that had an awkward time getting round that corner, the end stuck right out over the railway as it made the turn...

How do you define flag shagging? Do the Dutch display this trait at football when all the fans are in orange?
    dixiedean said:

And America of course.
    America's pathological obsession with their flag is beyond silly. You think "this is what strength looks like". So much of the world sees you with your hand on your heart pledging allegiance to the sodding flag and think you look like wazzocks.
  • state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,753

Kyle of Lochalsh:

Completion is always a bitter sweet thing in any hobby or collection I think - NO more worlds to conquer or collect

dixiedean said:

CoL, anyone? Hello?

Well it is.
    But cost of living doesn't appear to be a prominent one.
    Number one in the general population.
  • pm215pm215 Posts: 1,093

Isn't that what the aliens used to do in The Tripods ?

dixiedean said:

And America of course.
    America's pathological obsession with their flag is beyond silly. You think "this is what strength looks like". So much of the world sees you with your hand on your heart pledging allegiance to the sodding flag and think you look like wazzocks.
    I'm empty and aching and I don't know why.
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

CoL, anyone? Hello?

Well it is.
    My point is that it’s possible to extract one phrase from a statement or interview and say ‘is that all?’
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

dixiedean said:

And America of course.
    Patriot is pretty much synonymous with racist, there and elsewhere.
    pm215 said:

Isn't that what the aliens used to do in The Tripods ?

Nice reference. If I remember right they never finished the series, did they?
    Foxy said:

darkage said:

Have you considered coming back on Swedens Inland railway? It looks quite pretty.

https://res.inlandsbanan.se/en
    Yes I've looked at the Inlandsbanan, it seems to run as a thousand kilometre long tourist railway, with a railcar (a bit like the heart of wales line, but ten times longer!) It takes several days to go end to end and isn't that frequent. There is also the route from Narvik in Norway down to Stockholm though, via Abisko and Kiruna, which is 16 hours. You could get a bus from Bodo up to Narvik (about 6 hours) and get the train back to Stockholm that way. The only thing though is that private compartments on Swedish railways are quite expensive, about £300 per journey; you'd have to brave it in a seat or go for a couchette.

I've done the line in northern line in Finland, from Helsinki up to Oulu and back. Absolutely beautiful trains, both in the daytime and overnight (the cabins put the caledonian sleeper to shame), and very affordable. The only thing is that the scenery in Finland is nice but extremely repetitive... a flat landscape with lots of trees. My experience of Sweden is similar, but I've only done the line from Stockholm to Malmo.

How do you define flag shagging? Do the Dutch display this trait at football when all the fans are in orange?
    Is there any orange on the Dutch flag?
    Mind you. I was stunned that my High School required gathering in the yard first thing while the Canadian flag was raised.
    Then to the Chapel for assembly. Beginning with the National Anthem.
    edited July 2022
    ping said:

Thing is, the Chorleywood process (and other innovations in recent decades) is wot means you can buy a loaf of reasonably nutritious bread in the supermarket for under 50p, sometimes as little as 25p. We’ve made incredible advancements. And, despite me doing a reasonable amount of research on it, I just can’t see the problem. Sure, your 25p loaf (and, well, any loaf under about £2.50) has chemicals and preservatives in it, but there isn’t any evidence that they cause health problems.

As Tim Minchin once screamed during his comedy routine, “EVERYTHING IS CHEMICALS!”

That said, there is a bit of a labelling problem. I’m trying to shift over to rye bread and most of the loaves which advertise themselves as “rye bread” are, basically, regular wheat bread with a token amount of rye. The worst offender I almost bought had 3% rye, the rest white flour.

Here's an alternative (but respected) view:

https://joinzoe.com/learn/podcast-can-bread-be-healthy

My take is that, actually, it's a poor people's problem, in as much as cheap bread may be the cause of a lot of nutritional problems.

Is there any orange on the Dutch flag?
    Ha no. But by proxy.

So turns out the warnings of two hour delays today are nonsense. It's been four already and we're still in the car park
    #eurotunnel #Folkestone #dover #brexit https://twitter.com/frankellett/status/1550914933428199427/photo/1

Kyle of Lochalsh:

Completion is always a bitter sweet thing in any hobby or collection I think - NO more worlds to conquer or collect
    There's always the mopping up operations :)

Barking Riverside
    Tram to Edgbaston
    Dale Rail (Clitheroe-Hellifield)

upcoming:
    Missing bits to the Elizabeth Line
    Blackpool Tram to North station.
    Edinburgh tram extension
    Scott_xP said:

So turns out the warnings of two hour delays today are nonsense. It's been four already and we're still in the car park
    #eurotunnel #Folkestone #dover #brexit https://twitter.com/frankellett/status/1550914933428199427/photo/1

#firstworldproblems

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

CoL, anyone? Hello?

Well it is.
    My point is that it’s possible to extract one phrase from a statement or interview and say ‘is that all?’
    Which is true. But there has been little CoL in this campaign. Probably because no bugger on any side has much of a clue.
    Basically. Need an end to war first.
    darkage said:

Oslo to Bergen is the most fantastic train journey. Of course Oslo stavanger probably is too. Lofoten islands are fab. Do a whirlpool trip from Bodo.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,740
    Carnyx said:

Happy memories of a very pleasant holiday spent partly in Wick. A very pleasant town with some dramatic scenery around it.
    I had a wonderful experience driving up to Wick - was stood on an old road bridge that had been bypassed years before. It was a bridge that a pine marten wanted to cross. Once it had sussed that I was going to do it no harm, it passed me at about 6 feet distance.

One of my fav wildlife memories in the UK.
    IshmaelZ said:

dixiedean said:

And America of course.
    Patriot is pretty much synonymous with racist, there and elsewhere.
    I thought that USA USA patriots shag the CSA flag...
    Flags are just logos really and all companies have logos so nothing really wrong with them- the world would be less interesting without them - Take the Olympic opening ceremony where the parade of flags is not only colourful but quite joyous.

Scott_xP said:

#firstworldproblems
    #selfdemotiontothirdworldproblems

Let me guess, you don't do business with, or travel for any reason to, that abroad?
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,740
    Another ammo dump goes boom.

A really, really big boom.

https://twitter.com/Blue_Sauron/status/1550890123205779458

Flags are just logos really and all companies have logos so nothing really wrong with them- the world would be less interesting without them - Take the Olympic opening ceremony where the parade of flags is not only colourful but quite joyous.

Your username needs reviewing in light of your passion for statist money wasting tat.

Another ammo dump goes boom.

A really, really big boom.

https://twitter.com/Blue_Sauron/status/1550890123205779458

What is it with these Russian nobbers? Always leaving a big pile of ammo in obvious and easy to bomb places.
    IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

#firstworldproblems

Let me guess, you don't do business with, or travel for any reason to, that abroad?
    A slightly longer queue at a really busy time is hardly third world, is it?
    ping said:

When did batons stop being called French sticks or French loaves?
    edited July 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

Your username needs reviewing in light of your passion for statist money wasting tat.
    not really - i dont like forced singing of anthems at sport events etc but flags do identify countries and as long as people are free to make whatever they want of flags then it is fine with me. I am not against the formation of countries (because that provides choice if freedom of movement ) -Even anarchists have a flag for instance

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

#firstworldproblems

Just entry level self harm then. OK.
    darkage said:

You can get to Oslo by train from London https://www.seat61.com/Norway.htm

Don't miss the route down to Flam from Myrdal on the Oslo-Bergen line https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flåm_Line
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,762

Like this.

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

#firstworldproblems

Just entry level self harm then. OK.
    I must have imagined the previous delays at ferry ports, prior to Brexit.

Betfair next prime minister
    1.54 Liz Truss 65%
    2.92 Rishi Sunak 34%

Next Conservative leader
    1.55 Liz Truss 65%
    2.94 Rishi Sunak 34%

Betfair next prime minister
    1.55 Liz Truss 65%
    2.88 Rishi Sunak 35%

Next Conservative leader
    1.54 Liz Truss 65%
    2.86 Rishi Sunak 35%

Like this.

You missed off a good one...
    https://bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-39770458
  • pingping Posts: 3,805
    edited July 2022

ping said:

Here's an alternative (but respected) view:

https://joinzoe.com/learn/podcast-can-bread-be-healthy

My take is that, actually, it's a poor people's problem, in as much as cheap bread may be the cause of a lot of nutritional problems.
    The BBC put one of Tim Spectors main claims (cheap breads cause big glucose spikes, even in healthy people, therefore we should all avoid them) to the test in an episode of the food programme;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0018wxp

Results at 22mins 30s.

Turns out he’s talking bollocks!
  • Be proud of your country or do one?

Like this.

You missed off a good one...
    https://bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-39770458
    Best day for the Labour Party in a hundred years

darkage said:

You can get to Oslo by train from London https://www.seat61.com/Norway.htm

Don't miss the route down to Flam from Myrdal on the Oslo-Bergen line https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flåm_Line
    cheers yes I've done the London - Scandinavia route by train a few times. I always find going through Germany to be thoroughly miserable though. The train always gets delayed and something always goes wrong. And the trains get completely crowded. Similarly going through Denmark isn't brilliant. Sweden and Finland are just in another league of train travel altogether. They are really spacious trains and there is loads of space etc. Its a really enjoyable way to travel.
This discussion has been closed.