Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Why Starmer can afford to be less timid on Brexit – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited July 2022 in General
imageWhy Starmer can afford to be less timid on Brexit – politicalbetting.com

Read the full story here

Comments

• Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited July 2022
    1st!

Unlike honesty in the Tory party which appears to come last these days if mentioned at all
  • stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,777
    Liz has declared.

In Liz we Truss!
  • Jesus Christ, more mythical tax cuts. WHERE IS THE MONEY COMING FROM
  • EPGEPG Posts: 5,996
    Big unfunded tax cuts, except Sunak, who prefers unfunded benefits; performatively anti-youth culture politics, except Thingyhat and bizarrely Shapps; and every single one wants a to fight the EU to impose a locally unpopular policy on a province they don't care about.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,761
    edited July 2022
    carnforth said:

Except that it's the people not on that chart whose votes he needs to regain to win the next election.

Yes, 'current Labour voters think Brexit was wrong' is up there with 'SNP voters mostly think there should be Sindyref II.'
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,043
    Candidates falling over themselves to cause a run on the £ frankly.
    edited July 2022

And the collapse of the public sector. Don't be ill, on benefits or in a school this autumn.
    If Starmer starts to undo Brexit then I may vote Labour. If he maintains his current stance then he (and Labour) can go to hell along with the Tories
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Starmer is just a Tory wet. The Establishment like it that way.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,840
    edited July 2022
    God. This Tory Party race is depressing.
    It's unfunded tax cuts to pay for themselves as foretold. And continuity Boris policies.
    Will it win them another five years, as they once again run against the previous regime, blaming it for all travails?
    Probably.
    And that's the most depressing of all.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,005
    What do you mean by timid? Saying it was a terrible mistake? Wanting to rejoin the single market and customs union? I understand the frustration but what do people actually want Starmer to do?

Jesus Christ, more mythical tax cuts. WHERE IS THE MONEY COMING FROM

Fiscal headroom apparently.

Short hand for unicorns on stilts.

Fiscal headroom apparently.

Short hand for unicorns on stilts.

Is that a convoluted way of saying tax cuts give Tories the horn?
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,149

If Starmer starts to undo Brexit then I may vote Labour. If he maintains his current stance then he (and Labour) can go to hell along with the Tories

Which is a particularly interesting point from a Scottish point of view. Not to mention NI.
    Scott_xP said:

🚨EXCLUSIVE🚨

THREE Tory leadership hopefuls reveal policy plans in @Telegraph

* Liz Truss goes public with bid, vowing “day one” tax cuts

* Zahawi signals cuts to corp tax, income tax, biz rates

* Morduant: *halve* fuel VAT, raise i-tax thresholds
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/07/10/liz-truss-launches-leadership-bid-tax-cut-challenge-rishi-sunak/

All desperate to give the economy the full stepmom.

The under 40s of course. More debt for them to clear.

You need to understand how important it is to shovel more money into the banks and houses belong to the 70+ year olds that comprise the Tory core vote.
  • Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,572
    Why should Keir Starmer change his current stance on Brexit, when that stance is heavily backed by supporters of all the main parties?

i.e. Opinium VI poll 6th July 2022

Question: Regarding Brexit, earlier this week Keir Starmer said that Labour’s policy would be to “sort out the poor deal Boris Johnson signed” but he said that a Labour government would NOT take Britain back into the EU’s single market or customs union or return to “free movement” of people between the UK and the EU. Do you think he was right or wrong to say this?

Results: Right/Wrong to say this by current VI

All 51% right, 23% wrong
    Con 63% right, 18% wrong
    Lab 56% right, 25% wrong
    LD 45% right, 30% wrong

Scott_xP said:

🚨EXCLUSIVE🚨

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/07/10/liz-truss-launches-leadership-bid-tax-cut-challenge-rishi-sunak/

More like TSE's favourite Türkiyish conscript (I remember actually having to ask for it to be explained ... the shame ...).
    edited July 2022
    Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

🚨EXCLUSIVE🚨

More like TSE's favourite Türkiyish conscript (I remember actually having to ask for it to be explained ... the shame ...).
    Actually that was Alastair Meeks.

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2017/08/30/towards-a-rational-immigration-policy/
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

For @Scott_xP

Professor John Curtice says Scottish independence won't be hurt by resignation of Boris Johnson

THE resignation of Boris Johnson will not impact on support for independence as his Brexit legacy will not disappear with him, Scotland’s leading pollster has said.

As the Prime Minister who was dubbed the “best recruiting sergeant” for independence, questions have been raised over whether Johnson’s departure will make a difference to the campaign to leave the UK.

(The National; €)

It won't affect the UK government's refusal of an official indyref2 either!!
    You’d still be saying that if support for Scottish independence was 60%+, which seems to be the objective of current Conservative policy.
    Don't be ridiculous, Stuart. Surely even you don't think there's an objective to current Conservative policy?
    Fair point.

Why should Keir Starmer change his current stance on Brexit, when that stance is heavily backed by supporters of all the main parties?

Question: Regarding Brexit, earlier this week Keir Starmer said that Labour’s policy would be to “sort out the poor deal Boris Johnson signed” but he said that a Labour government would NOT take Britain back into the EU’s single market or customs union or return to “free movement” of people between the UK and the EU. Do you think he was right or wrong to say this?

All 51% right, 23% wrong
    Con 63% right, 18% wrong
    Lab 56% right, 25% wrong
    LD 45% right, 30% wrong

Did it have an element for the SNP, please?
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,286
    You'd have thought Priti Patel would have decided by now whether or not to stand.

Scott_xP said:

🚨EXCLUSIVE🚨

I don't know why one of them doesn't go feck it - we are scrapping income tax altogether. Bloody stupid 19th century idea.

It only raises £200billion - we can save that by sacking civil servants and introducing departmental cost cutting efficiencies.

• HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712
    edited July 2022
    No Starmer can't afford to be less timid on Brexit. He has a net +8% rating in redwall seats in a Sunday Times poll today, higher than all the Tory leadership contenders precisely as he has ruled out rejoining the EU and single market and free movement.

Without winning back those redwall seats from the Tories Labour has zero chance of depriving the Tories of their majority and Starmer has zero chance of becoming PM.

https://twitter.com/thom_brooks/status/1546148929229692930?s=20&t=6s-mAMl327v6ChyfYsFZWA

Plus as Redfield showed earlier this month, 47% still want to stay out of the EU not rejoin

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1543321577181380609?s=20&t=zLWAsBhWuG8ZGqspbblFRg
    EPG said:

and every single one wants a to fight the EU to impose a locally unpopular policy on a province they don't care about.

That's the real mystery. I wonder if they think their grassroots will deem it a surrender to the EU? Are Tory members interested in Ulster?

Scott_xP said:

🚨EXCLUSIVE🚨

I don't know why one of them doesn't go feck it - we are scrapping income tax altogether. Bloody stupid 19th century idea.

It only raises £200billion - we can save that by sacking civil servants and introducing departmental cost cutting efficiencies.

Although anyone who sacked the whole of the DfE would suddenly attract my interest.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,752
    Is Penny ‘Morduant’ some insider joke for the cool kids that I’ve missed? It’s getting as fckn hilarious as Sir Kier.

All 51% right, 23% wrong
    Con 63% right, 18% wrong
    Lab 56% right, 25% wrong
    LD 45% right, 30% wrong

Yes. That's where I am.
    Was Brexit right or wrong? Wrong. I voted Remain, and haven't seen any reason why I ought to regret that.
    Do I want to waste another 5 years obsessing about it?
    No bloody way.
    edited July 2022

EPG said:

and every single one wants a to fight the EU to impose a locally unpopular policy on a province they don't care about.

That's the real mystery. I wonder if they think their grassroots will deem it a surrender to the EU? Are Tory members interested in Ulster?
    Wings over Scotland commissioned some polling years back which IIRC showed that Tories (I think voters) would rather have Brexit than NI. Which is some way to being fulfilled, given that NI is still in the EU and distinctly semi-detached ...

Scott_xP said:

🚨EXCLUSIVE🚨

Tax consumption instead of income/wealth creation? Fairy nuff. But if that’s what they mean then say it. It’s the silly lopsidedness that jars.

Is Penny ‘Morduant’ some insider joke for the cool kids that I’ve missed? It’s getting as fckn hilarious as Sir Kier.

She would be Britain's first Catholic PM although I don't think she's particularly religious.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    stjohn said:

Liz has declared.

In Liz we Truss!

Sober up!
    edited July 2022

Starmer doesn't need your vote, you don't live in a Tory marginal seat and you didn't vote Labour in 2017 but Tory in 2019. You are not a swing voter
    Andy_JS said:

She would be Britain's first Catholic PM although I don't think she's particularly religious.
    Eh? That can't be right, whether Anglican Catholic or Roman Catholic. Mr Johnson waves a hand re his marriage in a RC church, and his signing up to that kirk.
    Carnyx said:

Which is a particularly interesting point from a Scottish point of view. Not to mention NI.
    NI is disenfranchised anyway. No one living there can vote for a GB party. All they have to choose from is ex-terrorists and religious nutters who can never form a government in their own right.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,004
    dixiedean said:

All 51% right, 23% wrong
    Con 63% right, 18% wrong
    Lab 56% right, 25% wrong
    LD 45% right, 30% wrong

Yes. That's where I am.
    Was Brexit right or wrong? Wrong. I voted Remain, and haven't seen any reason why I ought to regret that.
    No bloody way.
    That puts Labour and Conservatives on the same page with the LibDems , SNP and Plaid the only pro EU parties
    Andy_JS said:

Saint Anthony only missed it by a few weeks.

And what about De Pfeffel?
  • pingping Posts: 3,724
    edited July 2022

FPT, cos I just spent ages typing it out…

Scott_xP said:

TOP EXCL in today's Paper
    Tory big beast (and king maker?) @michaelgove BACKS @KemiBadenoch to be the next Tory leader and PM.

Writing for @TheSun he says Kemi has the "right stuff" to lead the UK

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/19155009/gove-backs-badenoch-tory-leadership/

Jesus Christ, Gove’s getting some good shit. He’s off his tits.

I know Badenoch is unlikely to get through to the membership, but I’m worried she will by some fluke, and if she does the batshit crazy membership might just give it to her.

On a positive note, it would be great to see a black woman as PM.

That’s the only positive I can see. Well, maybe the other one would be to make the Tories unelectable. Nothing to do with her gender, or colour. Entirely to do with the fact that she’s absolutely fucking mental.

She’s the Tory id personified, right there before our eyes. Reduce the state to its bare essentials? I wonder what she sees as essential and what can be happily sacrificed as non-essential. You can guess, can’t you?

Johnson’s done his job for the Tories. The conventional wisdom is that he has used the party simply to achieve power. Perhaps with time we’ll come to think that it was the party that has used Johnson. An unconventional politician who appealed to Leavers across the traditional spectrum and got us out of the EU. Jettisoned when his magic started to fade along,
    perhaps, with any pretence of levelling up; the party can bin all the Brexit ‘benefits’ the Red Wall seem to think is their due, that Johnson is the hapless face of, and shamelessly return to cutting and slashing and reducing the services that mean so much to the Red Wallers.

Tragic, really, and completely amoral. But, hey, Tories gonna Tory.

Yip.

The naïveté of Aaron Bell - and the other red wall tories who turned on Johnson is incredible. He was the best they were gonna get, policy-wise. They should have kept their head down, played the game and begged for pork. It was deeply undignified, but that was the game that had to be played.

I’ve never been a Johnson supporter, but called them out at the time - to universal derision on PB.

They’ve fked their constituents. And probably lost their seats.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    EPG said:

Big unfunded tax cuts, except Sunak, who prefers unfunded benefits; performatively anti-youth culture politics, except Thingyhat and bizarrely Shapps; and every single one wants a to fight the EU to impose a locally unpopular policy on a province they don't care about.

Anyone against Rwanda yet?
    Andy_JS said:

You'd have thought Priti Patel would have decided by now whether or not to stand.

She's crafty.
    I think she's manoeuvering to stay in post.
    I always get the impression she's actually self-aware. She knows she can't win.
    But she can strongly influence others with her words. Look at the bounce Gove's just given.

dixiedean said:

All 51% right, 23% wrong
    Con 63% right, 18% wrong
    Lab 56% right, 25% wrong
    LD 45% right, 30% wrong

Yes. That's where I am.
    No bloody way.
    That puts Labour and Conservatives on the same page with the LibDems , SNP and Plaid the only pro EU parties
    … and that suits us just fine! 😄
    edited July 2022
    Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

Eh? That can't be right, whether Anglican Catholic or Roman Catholic. Mr Johnson waves a hand re his marriage in a RC church, and his signing up to that kirk.
    Yes Johnson has already been our first Roman Catholic PM in office (Blair converted to Rome having left office). Tugendhat would be our second Roman Catholic PM in office, he is also part Jewish.

Sunak would be our first Hindu PM too, Braverman the first Buddhist PM. Zahawi our first Muslim PM

Bloody hell. Guy Opperman on Westminster Hour.
    An Uber Loyalist with no one to be slavishly loyal to anymore.
    Be interested to hear him.
    edited July 2022

Carnyx said:

NI is disenfranchised anyway. No one living there can vote for a GB party. All they have to choose from is ex-terrorists and religious nutters who can never form a government in their own right.
    Yes, but they can channel huge donations to GB parties and campaigns without having to let on at all who they are (side effect of legislation intended for NI alone). Caused some grief during the Scottish independence referendum.

Edit: tbf there are Alliance and the Greens.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,080
    dixiedean said:

All 51% right, 23% wrong
    Con 63% right, 18% wrong
    Lab 56% right, 25% wrong
    LD 45% right, 30% wrong

Yes. That's where I am.
    No bloody way.
    I think Starmer was right to rule it out for the next Parliament, along with the SM, but to rule it out forever is just daft.

Not that he is going to last well in power, even if he scrapes in.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 4,748

Scott_xP said:

Tory big beast (and king maker?) @michaelgove BACKS @KemiBadenoch to be the next Tory leader and PM.

I know Badenoch is unlikely to get through to the membership, but I’m worried she will by some fluke, and if she does the batshit crazy membership might just give it to her.

That’s the only positive I can see. Well, maybe the other one would be to make the Tories unelectable. Nothing to do with her gender, or colour. Entirely to do with the fact that she’s absolutely fucking mental.

She’s the Tory id personified, right there before our eyes. Reduce the state to its bare essentials? I wonder what she sees as essential and what can be happily sacrificed as non-essential. You can guess, can’t you?

Johnson’s done his job for the Tories. The conventional wisdom is that he has used the party simply to achieve power. Perhaps with time we’ll come to think that it was the party that has used Johnson. An unconventional politician who appealed to Leavers across the traditional spectrum and got us out of the EU. Jettisoned when his magic started to fade along,
    perhaps, with any pretence of levelling up; the party can bin all the Brexit ‘benefits’ the Red Wall seem to think is their due, that Johnson is the hapless face of, and shamelessly return to cutting and slashing and reducing the services that mean so much to the Red Wallers.

As far as I can see, the problem with Kemi Badenoch is that her Ministerial experience is very limited; it largely relates to culture war type issues. I think she has made a good effort on this front, and I am personally supportive of her stance; but it hasn't made that much of an impact, the culture war for the tories is far from won; in fact they seem to be losing it despite being in government. It has actually got to the point where tory MP's put up posts on facebook asking constituents to write to them about it, because it just isn't that salient. People don't care. They should care, but they don't care.
    Neil O'Brien MP has endorsed Kemi Badenoch.

https://twitter.com/NeilDotObrien/status/1546140955681558529
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,785
    I think Starmer's line is practical rather than anything else.

A formal readmission to SM either which would either be via EFTA or reaccession or, perhaps, Swiss trilateralism will take time.

Confirming closer SM alignment for goods that was never in reality torn down and getting easing of customs and equivalence requirements can start generating wins in the first few months, and does no harm to the possibilty of larger scale reversal further down the line.
    ping said:

Scott_xP said:

Yip.

The naïveté of Aaron Bell - and the other red wall tories who turned on Johnson is incredible. He was the best they were gonna get, policy-wise. They should have kept their head down, played the game and begged for pork. It was deeply unpleasant, but that was the game that had to be played.

I’ve never been a Johnson supporter, but called them out at the time - to universal derision on PB.

They’ve fked their constituents. And probably lost their seats.
    Our Aaron turned on Johnson over the lying about parties in lockdown. iirc he had personal experience of missing a funeral or some such whilst Johnson was on the lash.

Some things are are above the pork barrel.

• eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,861
    If the sample is from a population of GE2019 Labour voters, I do not find the 88% thinking Brexit was wrong in hindsight unsurprising. I can imagine that over 75% of GE2019 Labour voters voted remain in the first place. Many Labour-Leavers voted for BJ in order to "get brexit done".
    HYUFD said:

Starmer doesn't need your vote, you don't live in a Tory marginal seat and you didn't vote Labour in 2017 but Tory in 2019. You are not a swing voter
    I see you are wrong as usual. I voted LibDem in 2017 and did not vote in 2019. I voted Tory in 2010 and 2015
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,922

Carnyx said:

The SDLP, APNI and UUP are OK.
    Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

Johnson and Blair are both still officially Anglicans I think, despite being married to Catholics.
  • BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,129
    edited July 2022

Carnyx said:

Hamish Badenoch (Mr Kemi) stood for the NI Conservatives in Foyle at the 2015 GE

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foyle_(UK_Parliament_constituency)#Elections_in_the_2010s

ETA 132 votes, 0.4%
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    ping said:

Scott_xP said:

Yip.

The naïveté of Aaron Bell - and the other red wall tories who turned on Johnson is incredible. He was the best they were gonna get, policy-wise. They should have kept their head down, played the game and begged for pork. It was deeply unpleasant, but that was the game that had to be played.

They’ve fked their constituents.
    What a difference a year makes. Back then we laughed at you. Now the tables are turned and we are virtually defiling ourselves with derision. You think AB was ever going to be the difference between phatboi surviving and not? Seriously? Really Seriously? LOL, it was only ever about where AB was going to end up after the always inevitable debacle.

Your pork themed comments say a LOT about your morals and your intellect.
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,785
    Andy_JS said:

I'm starting to think she won't.
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

Yes Johnson has already been our first Roman Catholic PM in office (Blair converted to Rome having left office). Tugendhat would be our second Roman Catholic PM in office, he is also part Jewish.

Sunak would be our first Hindu PM too

And Braverman the first Buddhist.

HYUFD said:

I see you are wrong as usual. I voted LibDem in 2017 and did not vote in 2019. I voted Tory in 2010 and 2015
    Obvs the wrong sort of Tory, like those who vote for PC.
    HYUFD said:

You are not (and can never be) a LEAVER, because you voted REMAIN in 2016.
    edited July 2022
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

Sunak would be our first Hindu PM too, Braverman the first Buddhist PM. Zahawi our first Muslim PM

Braverman would be the first Buddhist PM. Grant Shapps is Jewish.
  • northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,493
    Andy_JS said:

He seemed sane, too. Must be the heat.

Carnyx said:

SDLP has 2 MPs, Alliance has 1 MP and UUP have none. They are not exactly in a position to form a majority at Westminster. All of them need another few hundred MPs
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,462
    Hi @hyufd You answered my subsidiary question on the last thread but not the main question.

Why were constitutional experts and senior Tories worried about Boris trashing the constitution (as reported today) if there wasn't any issue.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,080
    edited July 2022
    Andy_JS said:

She is divorced, living with her longstanding partner and is supportive of her gay twin brother, so certainly not a JRM level Catholic.
    Andy_JS said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

Johnson and Blair are both still officially Anglicans I think, despite being married to Catholics.
    Why do you think that? Mr J had to sign on the dotted line - IIRC also denying that he had been validly married before, if only by implication. Or am I missing something?
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    Which candidate will be the first to say the following, and how long before they all follow suit?

"I would cut taxes massively, increase spending massively, and improve every government service (with half the staff) before the next election, and take no nonsense from any court (foreign or domestic).
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,752
    edited July 2022

dixiedean said:

All 51% right, 23% wrong
    Con 63% right, 18% wrong
    Lab 56% right, 25% wrong
    LD 45% right, 30% wrong

Yes. That's where I am.
    No bloody way.
    … and that suits us just fine! 😄
    Intriguing to analyse the difference between how a group of voters who (narrowly) voted for an issue with a crap outcome feel about it versus a group of voters who voted against it and had it imposed on them anyway. If only there were examples to consider.
    Pro_Rata said:

A formal readmission to SM either which would either be via EFTA or reaccession or, perhaps, Swiss trilateralism will take time.

Confirming closer SM alignment for goods that was never in reality torn down and getting easing of customs and equivalence requirements can start generating wins in the first few months, and does no harm to the possibilty of larger scale reversal further down the line.

You don't envisage any divergence then?
    darkage said:

Scott_xP said:

As far as I can see, the problem with Kemi Badenoch is that her Ministerial experience is very limited; it largely relates to culture war type issues. I think she has made a good effort on this front, and I am personally supportive of her stance; but it hasn't made that much of an impact, the culture war for the tories is far from won; in fact they seem to be losing it despite being in government. It has actually got to the point where tory MP's put up posts on facebook asking constituents to write to them about it, because it just isn't that salient. People don't care. They should care, but they don't care.
    Yes. Badenoch would be an outrageous gamble.
    Almost a Hail Mary.
    She's utterly unknown and completely untested.
    edited July 2022
    Andy_JS said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

No Blair converted to Rome in 2007.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2007/dec/22/labour.uk

Johnson was baptised Roman Catholic and rejoined the Catholic Church to be married at Westminster Cathedral.

Of the main Tory leadership candidates only Jeremy Hunt is Church of England, Badenoch is Christian but undefined denomination, likely Pentecostal
  • dixiedean said:

darkage said:

Scott_xP said:

Almost a Hail Mary.
    Bazball

HYUFD said:

So as I said you are not the key swing voters he needs ie voted Tory in 2019.

Do you live in the top 150 Labour target seats needed for a Labour majority? If not again Starmer is not really interested in your views
    Penny Mordaunt is favourite for the Scottish Tory vote

Another Scottish Tory source said this regime had been “very divisive” and that Mordaunt would be a “unifying candidate”.

An influential figure among grassroots Scottish Tories said they believed Mordaunt, who was the first female defence secretary, would be “very sellable in Scotland”.

It is understood that Douglas Ross, the Scottish Conservative leader, is waiting to see the contenders before backing a candidate.

Yesterday he predicted that the contest would provide a “very strong positive debate” about the future of the party and suggested there should be an overhaul of the UK government to remove Johnson loyalists.

… Liz Truss, the foreign secretary… was met with scorn from several Conservative MSPs, who believe she would be “disastrous” for the Scottish party in a similar vein to Johnson, whose approval ratings dropped to a record low of -71 in Scotland last month.

(The Times; €)
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

She is divorced, living with her longstanding partner and is supportive of her gay twin brother, so certainly not a JRM level Catholic.
    Probably a damn sight more representative of your average Catholic, though.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,243

So how is the BitCoin Trust backing? They've emerged this year in US as BIG albeit not especially successful (yet anyway) players re: campaign cash.
  • ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

Andy_JS said:

He seemed sane, too. Must be the heat.
    Far from sane - he was a Zero Covidian nutter well into 2021.
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

Braverman would be the first Buddhist PM. Grant Shapps is Jewish.
    Disraeli was our first Jewish heritage PM of course
    kjh said:

Hi @hyufd You answered my subsidiary question on the last thread but not the main question.

Why were constitutional experts and senior Tories worried about Boris trashing the constitution (as reported today) if there wasn't any issue.

As most of them were likely anti Brexit and anti Boris
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Do you live in the top 150 Labour target seats needed for a Labour majority? If not again Starmer is not really interested in your views
    So you were wrong?

Another Scottish Tory source said this regime had been “very divisive” and that Mordaunt would be a “unifying candidate”.

An influential figure among grassroots Scottish Tories said they believed Mordaunt, who was the first female defence secretary, would be “very sellable in Scotland”.

It is understood that Douglas Ross, the Scottish Conservative leader, is waiting to see the contenders before backing a candidate.

Yesterday he predicted that the contest would provide a “very strong positive debate” about the future of the party and suggested there should be an overhaul of the UK government to remove Johnson loyalists.

… Liz Truss, the foreign secretary… was met with scorn from several Conservative MSPs, who believe she would be “disastrous” for the Scottish party in a similar vein to Johnson, whose approval ratings dropped to a record low of -71 in Scotland last month.

(The Times; €)

Just pick any chimp at Edinburgh Zoo: there are 15 to choose from. Any would be more popular in Scotland than Mr J.

Pro_Rata said:

You don't envisage any divergence then?
    We dare not diverge our standards from EU ones. We are in enough trouble as it is...
    dixiedean said:

darkage said:

Scott_xP said:

Almost a Hail Mary.
    In April 2018, The Mail on Sunday obtained a video of an interview that Badenoch did with Core Politics, where she confessed to hacking into the website of a Labour MP in 2008.[31][32] The MP in question was Harriet Harman, who was then Deputy Leader of the Labour Party. Harman accepted Badenoch's apology, but the matter was reported to Action Fraud, the UK's cyber crime reporting centre.[33][34]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kemi_Badenoch
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,243
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

So she believes in the teachings of Jesus, instead of what the Catholic Church stands for?
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,184
    Carnyx said:

EPG said:

Wings over Scotland commissioned some polling years back which IIRC showed that Tories (I think voters) would rather have Brexit than NI. Which is some way to being fulfilled, given that NI is still in the EU and distinctly semi-detached ...
    Aside from HYUFD, I don't think Tory voters (or anyone in England) cares strongly either way whether NI is in the UK. It is a foreign land of which we know little. Losing it isn't going to change the map of the country in any way we might notice. It costs us money and gives us no great advantage that we can see. And even the ones there who nominally want to remain attached seem constantly furious with us. We'll have them, while a majority want to stay with us, but I don't think there is any great emotional connection. Of course there is a greater commitment to Brexit than to NI. I suspect there is a greater commitment to a lot of issues than there is to NI. To pick an example out of thin air, I suspect if you told English people they would have to change the colour of their postboxes for the sake of the union with NI a solid majority would happily wave it goodbye.
    Scotland is different. For the English, we've mostly been to Scotland. There's an emotional connection even when there isn't a rational connection.
    edited July 2022
    Andy_JS said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

They are cool with that. As long as the kids are brought up Catholic.
    I'm one.
    Boris has certainly spread the influence of the one true Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

So you were wrong?
    No I wasn't, they did not vote Tory in 2019 and do not live in the top 150 Labour target seats I believe so are
    irrelevant to Starmer
    Carnyx said:

(The Times; €)

Just pick any chimp at Edinburgh Zoo: there are 15 to choose from. Any would be more popular in Scotland than Mr J.

Even the filthy bastard who poos in his own palm and then eats it?

dixiedean said:

darkage said:

Scott_xP said:

Almost a Hail Mary.
    In April 2018, The Mail on Sunday obtained a video of an interview that Badenoch did with Core Politics, where she confessed to hacking into the website of a Labour MP in 2008.[31][32] The MP in question was Harriet Harman, who was then Deputy Leader of the Labour Party. Harman accepted Badenoch's apology, but the matter was reported to Action Fraud, the UK's cyber crime reporting centre.[33][34]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kemi_Badenoch
    Funny and admirable.
    I hope Kemi doesn't want to scrap HS2. I'm in favour.
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

As most of them were likely anti Brexit and anti Boris
    That is definitely it.
  • MPartridgeMPartridge Posts: 156
    With Rehman Chishti now running, this takes us too 11 declared candidates (possible 12 is Patel runs as well)

This has now overtaken Tory 2019 campaign as the most candidates ever for a UK major party leadership election.

Carnyx said:

(The Times; €)

Even the filthy bastard who poos in his own palm and then eats it?
    Well, perhaps not that one!
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,625

Carnyx said:

SDLP has 2 MPs, Alliance has 1 MP and UUP have none. They are not exactly in a position to form a majority at Westminster. All of them need another few hundred MPs
    The people of NI have deliberately picked the extremists. Because the U.K. government and the Dublin government listened to the extremists concerns, and gave them concessions. The UUP and SDLP were told to sit at the back of the room and not make too much noise. Alliance was ignored completely.
    edited July 2022
    "Rehman Chishti
    @Rehman_Chishti

I’m standing to be the next leader of the Conservative Party and your Prime Minister. For me it’s about aspirational conservatism, fresh ideas, fresh team for a fresh start taking our great country forward. (Full video on my Facebook page)."

https://twitter.com/Rehman_Chishti/status/1546240922043695107
    Cookie said:

Carnyx said:

EPG said:

Aside from HYUFD, I don't think Tory voters (or anyone in England) cares strongly either way whether NI is in the UK. It is a foreign land of which we know little. Losing it isn't going to change the map of the country in any way we might notice. It costs us money and gives us no great advantage that we can see. And even the ones there who nominally want to remain attached seem constantly furious with us. We'll have them, while a majority want to stay with us, but I don't think there is any great emotional connection. Of course there is a greater commitment to Brexit than to NI. I suspect there is a greater commitment to a lot of issues than there is to NI. To pick an example out of thin air, I suspect if you told English people they would have to change the colour of their postboxes for the sake of the union with NI a solid majority would happily wave it goodbye.
    Scotland is different. For the English, we've mostly been to Scotland. There's an emotional connection even when there isn't a rational connection.
    That is not true, 49% of Tory voters would be upset if NI left the UK just 8% pleased.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2020/09/07/how-do-english-and-welsh-people-feel-about-scotlan

Brexit has already been delivered

Carnyx said:

I was just pointing out they are NOT lapsed terrorists or religious nutters.
This discussion has been closed.