Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Five days on the Next CON leader betting market – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,360
    edited July 2022
    kle4 said:

Of the declared and potential candidates, it's interesting to see their various experience. Most have been MPs since 2010 or more recently, and barring Wallace the most likely contenders have been from then.

Badenoch - Minister of State - MP since 2017
    Braverman - Cabinet Minister - MP since 2015
    Sunak - Cabinet Minister - MP since 2015
    Tugendhat - Select Committee Chair, no ministerial experience - MP since 2015
    Baron - no ministerial experience - MP since 2001
    Berry - Minister of State - MP since 2010
    Javid - Cabinet Minister - MP since 2010
    Truss - Cabinet Minister - MP since 2010
    Wallace - Cabinet Minister - MP since 2005
    Zahawi - Cabinet Minister - MP since 2010
    Hunt - Cabinet Minister - MP since 2005
    Mordaunt - Miniser of State - MP since 2010
    Schapps - Cabinet Minister (I actually had no idea what he was currenly minister of) - MP since 2005
    Dorries - Cabinet Minister - MP since 2005

What's the record in the modern era for the shortest period for someone entering parliament
    to becoming PM?

Technically, I think the answer has to be Douglas-Home at 0 days.

Sorry….

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,354
    kle4 said:

Of the declared and potential candidates, it's interesting to see their various experience. Most have been MPs since 2010 or more recently, and barring Wallace the most likely contenders have been from then.

Schapps - Cabinet Minister (I actually had no idea what he was currenly minister of) - MP since 2005

What's the record in the modern era for the shortest period for someone entering parliament to becoming PM?

Not especially a fan of Tugendhat, but chairing a Select Committee is generally regarded as more heavyweight than being a Minister of State. There's much more policy in it, though less administration. Cabinet is of course superior to both.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Farooq said:

I think Sunak is one big endorsement (Wallace?) away from being the clear front-runner, with a hardliner (Truss or perhaps Braverman) being the likely rival for the ballot. But I suspect there are some media character assassinations to come which may change the odds.

This is an excellent point. Someone somewhere is sitting on a juicy story, waiting to blow up a rival. There's even a chance it'll be a true scandal, but even if it's made up it could work. Lots can happen in the coming days.
    My impression at the time of the last Rishi hate session was not that anything was being held back for later. So his bacon may have been saved by a spectacular premature ejaculation.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,948

Be interesting to know who is behind Ready for Rishi campaign.

Inside Team Rishi: Slick video produced in 48 hours puts humble origins front and centre
    Former chancellor kickstarts leadership campaign with a team of supporters working round the clock to make him the next PM

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/07/08/inside-team-rishi-slick-video-produced-48-hours-puts-humble/ (£££)

No names though (or just a couple).
    Ooh, is the secret to such fast production 'Here's one we made earlier?'

Actually I bet they didn't have that one ready to go, but they had practiced making ones much like it over the last year.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,486
    Canada hit by massive mobile and internet outage

Canada's largest mobile and internet provider has suffered a major outage, with bank ATMs and emergency service hotlines affected.

Government operations have also been hit by the Rogers Communications issue. The company says it is working rapidly to resolve the nationwide problem.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-62102223
  • Options
    biggles said:

kle4 said:

What's the record in the modern era for the shortest period for someone entering parliament
    to becoming PM?

Sorry….

Smartypants.

But luckily, and accidentally, I said 'entering parliament' not the commons, but he had been an MP previously according to wiki, and had been in the Lords since 1951 before becoming PM.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

biggles said:

kle4 said:

to becoming PM?

Sorry….

Smartypants.

But luckily, and accidentally, I said 'entering parliament' not the commons, but he had been an MP previously according to wiki, and had been in the Lords since 1951 before becoming PM.
    I concede.

I think, Cameron then.

• Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780

Inside Team Rishi: Slick video produced in 48 hours puts humble origins front and centre
    Former chancellor kickstarts leadership campaign with a team of supporters working round the clock to make him the next PM

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/07/08/inside-team-rishi-slick-video-produced-48-hours-puts-humble/ (£££)

I've just watched it and I liked it. But there's a risk for him here - as with Portillo. He's very prepared and might be viewed by the key electorate - Tory party members - as too scheming and presumptuous? Or they may like his professionalism and organisation.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,902
    biggles said:

kle4 said:

biggles said:

kle4 said:

to becoming PM?

Sorry….

Smartypants.

I concede.

I think, Cameron then.

Johnson on a technicality
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,299
    Truss looks to me to be the candidate who will be very popular with members but will be disastrous at a General Election.

Nothing to do with policies - I'm afraid just the way she talks will drive away floating voters.

However I suspect she may well win. If she makes the Final 2 then she will almost certainly win.

I feel the momentum is drifting away from Mordaunt and if Wallace doesn't stand then it looks to me as if Truss will make the Final 2 and thus will be the ultimate winner.

And then lose disastrously at a GE - but only if she gets to a GE. If she goes down as badly as I expect with the public then I wouldn't rule out her being deposed after 12 months.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

I think Sunak is one big endorsement (Wallace?) away from being the clear front-runner, with a hardliner (Truss or perhaps Braverman) being the likely rival for the ballot. But I suspect there are some media character assassinations to come which may change the odds.

This is an excellent point. Someone somewhere is sitting on a juicy story, waiting to blow up a rival. There's even a chance it'll be a true scandal, but even if it's made up it could work. Lots can happen in the coming days.
    My impression at the time of the last Rishi hate session was not that anything was being held back for later. So his bacon may have been saved by a spectacular premature ejaculation.
    Depends. If someone outside of the Boris circlejerk has something on him (or thinks they do) (or just invents something) they had no reason to put it out there before now. Up until now, the only parties committed in hurting Sunak will have been those wanting to keep Boris in power. Now it's EVERYBODY who isn't a Sunak supporter. Player 3 has entered the game.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

biggles said:

kle4 said:

biggles said:

kle4 said:

to becoming PM?

Sorry….

Smartypants.

I concede.

I think, Cameron then.

Johnson on a technicality
    Good point. Otherwise Cameron and then we go back to one of Gladstone’s retreads?

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    Leon said:

@btaylor
    The Twitter Board is committed to closing the transaction on the price and terms agreed upon with Mr. Musk and plans to pursue legal action to enforce the merger agreement. We are confident we will prevail in the Delaware Court of Chancery.

https://twitter.com/btaylor/status/1545526087089696768

So, wait, Musk has backed off and now Twitter is desperate to be taken over by him? Is that it?
    I guess they'd rather he not take them over and instead pay them the difference between what he agreed to pay and what they're worth now. But legally the next step is "get the court to tell him to honour the agreement he signed".
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    kle4 said:

What's the record in the modern era for the shortest period for someone entering parliament to becoming PM?

David Cameron probably. He took over Witney after Shaun Woodward defected, so during the Blair government(s). So 2001 to 2010, nine years, give or take.

ETA maybe Boris if you count from his reentry to Parliament, which he'd left to be Mayor of London.
  • Options

Rishi?
  • Options

kle4 said:

David Cameron probably. He took over Witney after Shaun Woodward defected, so during the Blair government(s). So 2001 to 2010, nine years, give or take.

ETA maybe Boris if you count from his reentry to Parliament, which he'd left to be Mayor of London.
    I was thinking of how much experience they had as an MP, so I think previous terms would count. Sunak could break that record then.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

Depends. If someone outside of the Boris circlejerk has something on him (or thinks they do) (or just invents something) they had no reason to put it out there before now. Up until now, the only parties committed in hurting Sunak will have been those wanting to keep Boris in power. Now it's EVERYBODY who isn't a Sunak supporter. Player 3 has entered the game.
    I'd not be looking for scandals to be released to the Sunday papers. My guess is that candidates might run into trouble at the hustings or media interviews when they are asked what are their policies on areas which are new to them. There are a lot of blank slates at the moment. Sure, Rishi or Penny Mordaunt are good in front of a camera but Truss supporters will be asking what are their policies on cheese? How will Ben Wallace level up the red wall or seaside towns? And so on.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited July 2022
    stjohn said:

Rishi?
    I am not sure Dishy Rishi spent the last 48hrs on his iMac working with Premiere Pro making his own promo video. It looks and feels like a very professional outfit crafted it.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,283
    MikeL said:

Truss looks to me to be the candidate who will be very popular with members but will be disastrous at a General Election.

Nothing to do with policies - I'm afraid just the way she talks will drive away floating voters.

However I suspect she may well win. If she makes the Final 2 then she will almost certainly win.

I feel the momentum is drifting away from Mordaunt and if Wallace doesn't stand then it looks to me as if Truss will make the Final 2 and thus will be the ultimate winner.

And then lose disastrously at a GE - but only if she gets to a GE. If she goes down as badly as I expect with the public then I wouldn't rule out her being deposed after 12 months.

if you kicked my tyres and said 'who' - i think both Wallace and Mordant are doing major deals behind scenes.

My guess - we are looking at a Sunak coronation by Monday and thank God for that.
  • Options

stjohn said:

Rishi?
    I am not sure Dishy Rishi spent the last 48hrs on Premiere Pro making his own promo video. It looks and feels like a professional outfit crafted it.
    Is Rishi's video really that good? Has @Roger cast his professional eye over it? The only things I can remember is that his mum was a pharmacist and he wasn't wearing a tie.

But more than the video, the slogan Ready for Rishi sounds a bit naff. I'm not sure I could have done better but it sounds like they stopped at the first alliteration that crossed their minds. It's banal; it's vacuous.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    This is Dishy Rishi man doing the video...

Meet Cass – Cassian – Horowitz, the 29-year-old son of the author Anthony Horowitz (of the hugely successful Alex Rider series and a number of James Bond books). His job title is ‘special advisor to the Chancellor at HM Treasury’ but he’s also a co-founder of creative agency The Clerkenwell Brothers (alongside his own brother, Marlborough-educated Nicholas Horowitz, another video whizz). The agency works across multifarious projects, from ITV’s Peston to a CBD product, and Cass is known to be a tried and tested social media guru.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,299
    edited July 2022

MikeL said:

if you kicked my tyres and said 'who' - i think both Wallace and Mordant are doing major deals behind scenes.

My guess - we are looking at a Sunak coronation by Monday and thank God for that.
    I hope you're right but fear not.

Truss will know that, even if Sunak is way out ahead with MPs, if she makes the Final 2 then she will have a very good chance with the members.

So the more heavy hitters who support Sunak the better for Truss - as it clears the way to Truss coming second - as the number of MPs required to come second will fall.

The problem for Truss is if Wallace stands - it's then far harder for her to make the Final 2.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

stjohn said:

Rishi?
    I am not sure Dishy Rishi spent the last 48hrs on Premiere Pro making his own promo video. It looks and feels like a professional outfit crafted it.
    Is Rishi's video really that good? Has @Roger cast his professional eye over it? The only things I can remember is that his mum was a pharmacist and he wasn't wearing a tie.

But more than the video, the slogan Ready for Rishi sounds a bit naff. I'm not sure I could have done better but it sounds like they stopped at the first alliteration that crossed their minds. It's banal; it's vacuous.
    The video was slick and made a number what I imagine will be the selling points for electing Sunak as PM...immigrant family made good through hard work enabled me to have opportunity (which is core Conservative / Thatcher type messaging), NHS connection, I am not going to tell you any fairy stories like PM Peppa Pig.

Its just the opening salvo and far higher quality than usual political stuff. The slogan is naff though.

Its also worth remembering, its not for us. Its for MPs and the membership.
  • Options

stjohn said:

Rishi?

I agree.

I've watched a few of the wannabes in their promos or videos over the last few days and they've all been vacuous. Our country is facing an economic crisis and we could do with someone with the intellect and/or vision to respond to the challenge. None of the likely candidates have impressed me as able to the task.

I do rate Gove though and I would take a chance on him. If the next PM makes Gove central to their government and decision making then maybe we will do better than I fear.
  • Options
    stjohn said:

stjohn said:

Rishi?

I agree.

I've watched a few of the wannabes in their promos or videos over the last few days and they've all been vacuous. Our country is facing an economic crisis and we could do with someone with the intellect and/or vision to respond to the challenge. None of the likely candidates have impressed me as able to the task.

I do rate Gove though and I would take a chance on him. If the next PM makes Gove central to their government and decision making then maybe we will do better than I fear.
    The problem with Gove is always the same, he is generally pretty good at understanding whatever job he is given, but he could start an argument in an empty lift and can't stop himself from scheming (plus there is quite a whiff about his personal life, which after all that has been going on is the last thing a new PM will want denotating early on in their premiership).
  • Options
    Still wondering how does this species survive in the wild..

https://twitter.com/buitengebieden/status/1545508914170667008?s=20&t=52BFXIYo-kb5y1T3NPdpbQ
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052
    Leon said:

@btaylor
    The Twitter Board is committed to closing the transaction on the price and terms agreed upon with Mr. Musk and plans to pursue legal action to enforce the merger agreement. We are confident we will prevail in the Delaware Court of Chancery.

So, wait, Musk has backed off and now Twitter is desperate to be taken over by him? Is that it?
    The Twitter CEO has presumably already spent his Golden Goodbye money.

More seriously, Twitter has to do this, because if they don't, then they won't get their $1bn break up fee.

And FWIW, Musk isn't really backing off because of bots. He's backing off because Tesla's share price has halved, and buying Twitter now suddenly involves him pledging an awful lot of stock.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,825
    "UK weather: Don’t let children run around outside in heatwave, parents told"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/environment/2022/07/08/uk-weather-dont-let-children-run-around-outside-heatwave-parents/
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    edited July 2022
    I have just seen Rishi's video. Extraordinary! The video it'self is just a reasonably well put together promotional video but what's remarkable is when he must have done it.

I don't think you could have put it together in less than three or four days possibly longer not to mention the material supplied by him.

If you subtract four days from today he was making it while still Boris Johnson's Chancellor! Isn't promoting yourself for your bosses job in your bosses time a little disloyal?

I know Johnson's a rat and he'd have done the same but in this election which is going to be about honesty and integrity this doesn't look like a smart decision!
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Roger said:

I have just seen Rishi's video. Extraordinary! The video it'self is just a reasonably well put together promotional video but what's remarkable is when he must have done it.

I don't think you could have put it together in less than three or four days possibly longer not to mention the material supplied by him.

If you subtract four days from today he was making it while still Boris Johnson's Chancellor! Isn't promoting yourself for your bosses job in your bosses time a little disloyal?

I know Johnson's a rat and he'd have done the same but in this election which is going to be about honesty and integrity this doesn't look like a smart decision!

...it has emerged that one of Mr Sunak’s official websites was registered on Dec 23 last year – suggesting that while the video may not have predated this week, campaign preparations did....

if the ball was to come out of the back of the scrum, always good to have a website ready to go.
  • Options

stjohn said:

stjohn said:

Rishi?

I agree.

The problem with Gove is always the same, he is generally pretty good at understanding whatever job he is given, but he could start an argument in an empty lift and can't stop himself from scheming (plus there is quite a whiff about his personal life, which after all that has been going on is the last thing a new PM will want denotating early on in their premiership).
    As he is not standing for the leadership, then any personal stuff of his is probably not going to be at issue.

I would argue that he is the key person of significance in the current PLP - and maybe the King Maker - if the Tories hope to win the next GE. Do we know who he is backing?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052
    kle4 said:

Cameron? 2001 to 2010
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,283

Roger said:

...it has emerged that one of Mr Sunak’s official websites was registered on Dec 23 last year – suggesting that while the video may not have predated this week, campaign preparations did....

if the ball was to come out of the back of the scrum, always good to have a website ready to go.
    I know Richy Rich has a magic money tree and gives out free money to voters, but is that enough to neutralise the green card and the wife's effective tax arrangements?
  • Options

Roger said:

I've just checked and he resigned three days ago which means his promotional video was in hand before he had resigned. A real snake in the grass. I'm pretty sure one or other of his opponents will have taken note. I think the oven ready website is less damning.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    Roger said:

Roger said:

I've just checked and he resigned three days ago which means his promotional video was in hand before he had resigned. A real snake in the grass. I'm pretty sure one or other of his opponents will have taken note. I think the oven ready website is less damning.
    Oh, come off it. It's been obvious for weeks if not months that there would be a vacancy.
  • Options
    On that Jo Maugham tweet from earlier, what is funny is that he deleted it and sought to claim he meant something else entirely (because tweeting at a candidate 'are the members of your party ready to select a brown man?' is totally how a intelligent lawyer would choose to open a debate about ethnic representation in politics), but followed it up with a justification that white people were telling him it was wise to delete, but people of colour were telling him he was right and should not have.

Conveniently he seems to have missed the various non white people responding to his tweets who do not agree he was right.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Rishi has been honing his logo and Instagram identity pretty much such he became CoE.

He spends all his time on his image, and not enough time on the job, which is why he failed to see inflation coming and has consistently made short-term fiscal decisions that lack either economic or even political nous.

He would be a terrible choice, like pushing a McKinsey grad into the role and asking him to “fix the country”.

Look through his slickness; there’s nothing there.

This is the key thing. The FPN, the green card, non-dom wife, all minor or irrelevant really, he has made some absolute stinker decisions that are both economically and politically terrible e.g. NI++ is not just a tax increase for individuals, its also a tax on jobs, plus it opens the door to future governments to just keep chipping away at increasing what is effectively a new tax on earnings. You never introduce a new tax as it is nearly impossible to get rid (that is if you are a Tory that wants to then try and claim to believe in lower taxes).
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Oh, come off it. It's been obvious for weeks if not months that there would be a vacancy.
    As gardenwalker notes Rishi has been honing his branding for years. Sure, it's disloyal to actively prepare a campaign video (or at least, prepare the materials ready to whip one up in short notice) whilst there is no vacancy and you are supposedly not seeking one, but I don't think it will hurt him too much.

The party want to change leader quick, and they want someone credible who they think can turn things around electorally - if they believe that is him, rightly or not, his opponents won't get that much traction pointing out he was two faced.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

That's not the point. There is a certain etiquette which you expect certain people to show and that means you don't start reading the will until the corpse stops breathing
  • Options
    Rishi Sunak launches bid to be conservative leader' says BBC headline.

Five paras in, three other candidates who have launched bids get a mention.

I know he is the most high profile and also likely frontrunner, but if I were them I'd be a little annoyed that it could not have been presented more as 'Leadership bids announced'.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Roger said:

Applicant said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

That's not the point. There is a certain etiquette which you expect certain people to show and that means you don't start reading the will until the corpse stops breathing
    In politics shameless actions are nothing to be ashamed of. Yeah, it's disloyal, but Boris would probably have sacked him if he could anyway.

Why, it was noted on here earlier by HYUFD that Boris fanboy JRM has publicly criticised Sunak whilst both were in office, which is an even bigger breach of etiquette, and no doubt done to aid Boris. So the salvoes had already been flying.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

I'm not sure. When was the vonc Boris was expected (by some) to lose?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,825
    edited July 2022
    60 Conservative MPs have now declared their preference.

https://conservativehome.com/2022/07/08/next-tory-leader-whos-backing-whom-our-working-list/

Sunak 16
    Truss 9
    Tugendhat 7
    Braverman 6
    Mordaunt 5
    Hunt 4
    Wallace 3
    Zahawi 3
    Badenoch 2
    Shapps 2
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,970
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

Cameron? 2001 to 2010
    Well I suppose you could claim that for Johnson given he only re-entered Parliament in 2015.

Of course he had been an MP previously from 2001 to 2008
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,775
    edited July 2022
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

@btaylor

The Twitter CEO has presumably already spent his Golden Goodbye money.

More seriously, Twitter has to do this, because if they don't, then they won't get their $1bn break up fee.

And FWIW, Musk isn't really backing off because of bots. He's backing off because Tesla's share price has halved, and buying Twitter now suddenly involves him pledging an awful lot of stock.
    If Musk has to pony up $1bn to give to Twitter and doesn't even get anything for it, that must be one of the most spectacularly poor investment decisions in a long time - and will still surely involve a fair amount of trade handling too? Or is there a path for Musk getting out of owing them that money?

Unless Musk can get out of that $1bn, this does seem spectacularly mishandled. That's a significant sum to burn through in cash even for him.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,518
    It is generally accepted that immigrants from Asia settled the Americas, though signficant details are still being debated;
    "The settlement of the Americas began when Paleolithic hunter-gatherers entered North America from the North Asian Mammoth steppe via the Beringia land bridge, which had formed between northeastern Siberia and western Alaska due to the lowering of sea level during the Last Glacial Maximum (26,000 to 19,000 years ago).[2] These populations expanded south of the Laurentide Ice Sheet and spread rapidly southward, occupying both North and South America, by 12,000 to 14,000 years ago.[3][4][5][6][7] The earliest populations in the Americas, before roughly 10,000 years ago, are known as Paleo-Indians. Indigenous peoples of the Americas have been linked to Siberian populations by linguistic factors, the distribution of blood types, and in genetic composition as reflected by molecular data, such as DNA."
    source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Settlement_of_the_Americas

(Some American Indians do not accept this, preferring the traditional beliefs of their tribes.)

Since the founding of the United States, people of American Indian descent, or mixed race, have moved to the US (and occasionally from the US) in large numbers, many quite recently.

So, though the matter is complex, it is still true to say that all Americans are either immigrants, or descended from immigrants.

And, in recent years, more and more Americans -- about 10 percent -- admit to being descended from ancestors of two or more races. source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_the_United_States#Race_and_ethnicity
    (That is still, probably, a significant underestimate.)
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,082

Musk has backed out of the Twitter deal.

Does that mean he owes Twitter a billion dollars? That seemed an odd clause to have in the original deal, before due diligence was done.
    It’s a break clause. Fairly standard in public companies - it’s not cost free for Twitter to be publicly jilted
  • Options

Musk has backed out of the Twitter deal.

Does that mean he owes Twitter a billion dollars? That seemed an odd clause to have in the original deal, before due diligence was done.
    It’s a break clause. Fairly standard in public companies - it’s not cost free for Twitter to be publicly jilted
    Per Matt Levine Musk can't just pay a billion dollars and get out of the deal either.
  • Options
    Here's Levine's explanation of the billion dollar thing:
    "
    Or Twitter can try to hold him to the terms of his current deal, but that is also risky. The way the merger agreement works is that Musk’s damages are capped at a $1 billion reverse termination fee: If he walks away and Twitter sues for damages, it can’t get more than $1 billion, or about $1.30 per share, which is nowhere close to enough to compensate for losing this deal.

The agreement does, however, allow Twitter to sue for “specific performance,” meaning that it can go to a Delaware court and ask a judge to order Musk to close the deal (and fund his $27.5 billion equity commitment). But this is tough and there is no guarantee it will work. Specific performance is only possible if Musk’s debt financing is available, which seems likely but not certain,[3] and if a judge is willing to order it.
    "
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,998
    Good morning, everyone.

I put a tiny sum on Badenoch at 131 the other day, so hoping she gets a lay anywhere near her back value of 24 on Betfair. Tempted to lay Sunak again now his price has declined even more.
  • Options
    Another day, another OTT Daily Mail headline. What is going on in that paper? I mean, it’s fine to not support Labour, but this coalition of chaos BS is alarmist, somewhat ironic given the past week and that the last coalition was more stable then every administration that has followed. It’s fine to attack your opponents, the it get weary and undermines democracy to keep going OTT.
  • Options
    F1: Perez to start the sprint from 13th. Slightly rough that he got through to Q3 but then penalised when they should've deleted his time as they did everyone else at the time.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,760
    Andy_JS said:

https://conservativehome.com/2022/07/08/next-tory-leader-whos-backing-whom-our-working-list/

Sunak 16
    Truss 9
    Tugendhat 7
    Braverman 6
    Mordaunt 5
    Hunt 4
    Wallace 3
    Zahawi 3
    Badenoch 2
    Shapps 2

Truss will shoot up when she launches, and that will be this weekend. I think she will beat Sunak in the members vote, so have topped up.

Rishi is my big lay at current prices. His tax rises won't play well with the members.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,336
    Jonathan said:

Another day, another OTT Daily Mail headline. What is going on in that paper? I mean, it’s fine to not support Labour, but this coalition of chaos BS is alarmist, somewhat ironic given the past week and that the last coalition was more stable then every administration that has followed. It’s fine to attack your opponents, the it get weary and undermines democracy to keep going OTT.

I agree. The Mail is so OTT that it is undermining the Conservatives.
  • Options
    Here’s a thought, could the next Conservative leader quickly join the SM?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,060
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Sunak 16
    Truss 9
    Tugendhat 7
    Braverman 6
    Mordaunt 5
    Hunt 4
    Wallace 3
    Zahawi 3
    Badenoch 2
    Shapps 2

Truss will shoot up when she launches, and that will be this weekend. I think she will beat Sunak in the members vote, so have topped up.

Rishi is my big lay at current prices. His tax rises won't play well with the members.
    Thinking about this overnight, Truss has gone down in my preference (not that I get a vote or a say). She had a job to do at the G20. No-one had died; the country was not in mortal peril. She should have stayed to do her job, not come back to the UK to further her own ambitions.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Many thanks to @FrancisUrquhart and @Leon for their photos of Contadora Pearl islands and Islas Ballestas respectively.

Both challenging puzzles last night and great fun.

Still surprised my Ruta de los Volcanes on La Palma was sussed so readily. Some smart, and well travelled, people around here!

xx
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,498
    The other candidates need to declare today and get their supporters and statements into the Sundays if they're going to have any chance at all.

Rishi is building up a serious head of steam.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Sunak 16
    Truss 9
    Tugendhat 7
    Braverman 6
    Mordaunt 5
    Hunt 4
    Wallace 3
    Zahawi 3
    Badenoch 2
    Shapps 2

Thinking about this overnight, Truss has gone down in my preference (not that I get a vote or a say). She had a job to do at the G20. No-one had died; the country was not in mortal peril. She should have stayed to do her job, not come back to the UK to further her own ambitions.
    Agreed JJ. It showed such poor judgement, didn't it? She could have been really statesmanlike by being there and after all she could have started drumming up support on that world wide web thingy.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927

F1: Perez to start the sprint from 13th. Slightly rough that he got through to Q3 but then penalised when they should've deleted his time as they did everyone else at the time.

Not as rough as it was on Pierre Gasly, who should have been allowed to compete in Q3 rather than just start 10th. The Perez incident was a slam dunk watching it live on TV, he cut the corner on the inside, but not at a corner where they were routinely looking.
  • Options

The other candidates need to declare today and get their supporters and statements into the Sundays if they're going to have any chance at all.

How so? According to con home, he still doesn’t have enough declared backers to enter the contest.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Sunak 16
    Truss 9
    Tugendhat 7
    Braverman 6
    Mordaunt 5
    Hunt 4
    Wallace 3
    Zahawi 3
    Badenoch 2
    Shapps 2

Oh, I agree that her bolting the G20 shows poor judgement and character. I am thinking more of the betting odds than suitability.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Are you backing Sunak or not?

I need to decide how to bet..
  • Options

I expect Truss to declare later today, though she may be quite a zombie from that flight. Wallace and Mordaunt are the unknowns, declare or endorse, thereby securing the good books if their candidate wins?
  • Options

Rishi Sunak?

Humble origins?

He went to Winchester and Oxford!

I'm sick of these people of Asian heritage coming over, attending elite educational institutions and Oxford, and pretending their humble working class people.
    Humble origins is certainly a stretch!

• Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,248
    kle4 said:

Roger said:

Applicant said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

In politics shameless actions are nothing to be ashamed of. Yeah, it's disloyal, but Boris would probably have sacked him if he could anyway.

Why, it was noted on here earlier by HYUFD that Boris fanboy JRM has publicly criticised Sunak whilst both were in office, which is an even bigger breach of etiquette, and no doubt done to aid Boris. So the salvoes had already been flying.
    Its going to get very vicious if Sunak is the leading contender. Indeed it could end up being the coup de grace for the Tory party if things don't calm down. Shameless double dealing was Boris's stock in trade, and the Tories really need to make a change from that...
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,555
    edited July 2022
    I still think Sunak might come under heavy fire, his wife and his green card could be used to batter him.

Plus he's shit, lest we forget his March 2020 budget which did feck all to prepare for the looming pandemic nor his statement this year which did feck all for poor people struggling with the cost of living.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,555
    rcs1000 said:

Rishi Sunak?

Humble origins?

He went to Winchester and Oxford!

I'm sick of these people of Asian heritage coming over, attending elite educational institutions and Oxford, and pretending their humble working class people.
    It's easy to tell if people truly come from humble working class backgrounds: just look and see if they can use "they're" and "their" correctly.
    I'm blaming autocorrect.
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, depends if Perez's second best time was good enough. Sprint race helps him recover.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927

Mr. Sandpit, depends if Perez's second best time was good enough. Sprint race helps him recover.

His second best time put him 13th. He was struggling in Q2.
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, yeah, more understeer so I'm expecting Perez to do worse than usual this time.
  • Options

I still think Sunak might come under heavy fire, his wife and his green card could be used to batter him.

Plus he's shit, lest we forget his March 2020 budget which did feck all to prepare for the looming pandemic nor his statement this year which did feck all for poor people struggling with the cost of living.

As a Lab (and sometime LibDem) voter I will be near ecstatic if the tories select Rishi Sunak
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Sunak has a target on his back. The right don’t like his socialism and disloyalty. The economy is in the toilet on his watch. He was also fined during partygate, just like Boris. Then here is he matter of tax.

Any one of these things could stop him. There are people out to get him.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

I expect Truss to declare later today, though she may be quite a zombie from that flight. Wallace and Mordaunt are the unknowns, declare or endorse, thereby securing the good books if their candidate wins?
    Wallace and Mordaunt have good reason to believe they might win in their own right, so I certainly don't expect them to duck the contest.

They'll both have enough MPs to run so I expect them to - they'd have nothing to lose later on if it doesn't work.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Jonathan said:

Sunak has a target on his back. The right don’t like his socialism and disloyalty. The economy is in the toilet on his watch. He was also fined during partygate, just like Boris. Then here is he matter of tax.

+ his real Achilles heel as far as I and many others are concerned is that he is a mega mega mega rich ex-banker, the richest politician in parliament, with a non-dom tax evading wife who only decided to start paying UK taxes when she was found out by the newspapers.

You think all that will play out in a time when many people will be having to choose between eating and heating?

Even a diehard loyal Conservative friend of mine says that for these reasons Sunak is totally unsuitable.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,060
    Jonathan said:

IMV Rishi's too prominent, and too connected with Boris's time in power. The Boris fans in the party will see him as disloyal, and one of the people who brought down 'their' guy.

Perhaps ... ;)
  • Options
    One thing to remember about Tory MPs. They put Leadsom into the final two. Important to pause and reflect on that.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

How so? According to con home, he still doesn’t have enough declared backers to enter the contest.
    He's got the big mo. Other candidates don't want columnists and opinion-formers starting to talk about him behind the one-to-beat or the inevitability of his victory, as is starting to happen today.

Many MPs won't declare until Monday/Tuesday next week, but they'll make their minds up over the weekend.
  • Options
    I must admit, I was laying Rishi at 14s and 15s only a month or so ago and thought he was toast.

So, what do I know. I make a modest profit on him if he wins, but far from what I wanted.

Liz Truss I managed to get on at 100/1 with Hills about 2 years ago, so that's a good result for me.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Jonathan said:

He's got the big mo. Other candidates don't want columnists and opinion-formers starting to talk about him behind the one-to-beat or the inevitability of his victory, as is starting to happen today.

Many MPs won't declare until Monday/Tuesday next week, but they'll make their minds up over the weekend.
    He’s used wealth and media connections to generate the appearance of the big mo. I would have been more impressed if he has stood outside the commons with a bunch of MPs behind him, Any fool can knock up a glossy website if they have the time and the cash.
  • Options

Up to a point; remember there are several rounds of MPs voting, with the losers (well, technically everyone) redistributing their votes each time. Bill Wiggin could reach the final two if he is enough people's fourth choice.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,966

Here's Levine's explanation of the billion dollar thing:
    "
    Or Twitter can try to hold him to the terms of his current deal, but that is also risky. The way the merger agreement works is that Musk’s damages are capped at a $1 billion reverse termination fee: If he walks away and Twitter sues for damages, it can’t get more than $1 billion, or about $1.30 per share, which is nowhere close to enough to compensate for losing this deal.

The agreement does, however, allow Twitter to sue for “specific performance,” meaning that it can go to a Delaware court and ask a judge to order Musk to close the deal (and fund his $27.5 billion equity commitment). But this is tough and there is no guarantee it will work. Specific performance is only possible if Musk’s debt financing is available, which seems likely but not certain,[3] and if a judge is willing to order it.
    "

I think Elon Musk has had "Specific performance" at least nine times up till now
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

One thing to remember about Tory MPs. They put Leadsom into the final two. Important to pause and reflect on that.

And my mother was going to vote for her!
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,041
    Sunak is a clear lay at these odds.

Truss is the one! She’s absolutely hopeless but the members love her. She’ll lead the Tories to a catastrophic defeat in 2024.
  • Options

Up to a point; remember there are several rounds of MPs voting, with the losers (well, technically everyone) redistributing their votes each time. Bill Wiggin could reach the final two if he is enough people's fourth choice.
    I remember Bill Wiggin, long time character in the Simpsons I think
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Conservative MPs, the media-styled most sophisticated electorate in the world, invariable screw up. Remember that even Mrs Thatcher was only elected by mistake.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236
    Funny, he doesn’t look like a gormless twat.

• Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

He’s used wealth and media connections to generate the appearance of the big mo. I would have been more impressed if he has stood outside the commons with a bunch of MPs behind him, Any fool can knock up a glossy website if they have the time and the cash.
    Sunak is good at presentation, and has slick people skills, let down by rather poor decision making. He is rather fond of the gimmicks and stunts, so I see how he and Johnson got on, at least for a while.

It brought to mind the classic piece where he confessed his Coke addiction:

https://youtu.be/nO_fXajyzek

• Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    YouGov, the only pollster to correctly weigh geographical sub-samples:

London
    Lab 51%
    Con 20%
    LD 19%
    Grn 6%
    Ref 1%

Rest of South
    Con 35%
    Lab 32%
    LD 19%
    Grn 8%
    Ref 2%

Midlands and Wales
    Lab 41%
    Con 31%
    LD 11%
    Grn 7%
    PC 4%
    Ref 4%

North
    Lab 52%
    Con 27%
    LD 9%
    Grn 5%
    Ref 5%

Scotland
    SNP 49%
    Lab 21%
    Con 15%
    LD 10%
    Ref 3%
    Grn 2%

(YouGov/The Times; Sample Size: 1,687; Fieldwork: 6-7 July 2022)

Look at those dreadful Midlands figures for the Tories, the great LibDem figures in the south of England, and the ongoing failure of Scottish Labour.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,039
    Good morning fellow Pbers!
    I suggest Rishi might well have peaked too early! Suspect Wallace is the one to watch; if of course he actually stands!
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Prediction time:

Sunak - PM
    Javid - Chancellor
    Tugendhat - Foreign Sec
    Gove - Home
    Wallace - Def Sec
    Raab - AG
    Hunt - Education if he wants a role
    Zahawi - hmmm something I suppose

Truss & Patel - urrrr?
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,248
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Does have the feel of an AstroTurf candidate. I think he would be terrible, but for one thing... He would probably lead his party to anhiliation. His enemies on the party will find plenty of ammo in his CIF career and family tax arrangements.
  • Options
    Javid and Zahawi both seem particularly friendless in the betting.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    What’s happened to Ben Wallace? He’s lengthened significantly over 24 hours. Now out to 5/1 and no longer FAV. What have I missed?
This discussion has been closed.