Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Five days on the Next CON leader betting market – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited July 2022 in General
imageFive days on the Next CON leader betting market – politicalbetting.com

The chart based on trades on the Betfair exchange says it all. The big movement on the next CON leader market has been to the former hot favourite and ex-Chancellor, Rishi Sunak who today launched what looks like a highly professional campaign to succeed Johnson.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651
    Thems the breaks Mike ...
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,680
    edited July 2022
    First.... nearly
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645
    Sunak's gotten a jump on the rest, even though his personal ratings are no longer sky high. They need to agree core rivals, fast.

I'd initially wondered if he'd come to an agreement with Javid about backing him. They clearly coordinated their resignations, and Javid has not yet put himself forward formally I think.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Peston says 1922 cttee will require 20 MP nominations to be a leadership candidate

Interesting - not even to get on the ballot for the first round, but just to be a candidate at all?

Going a bit closer to the Labour system, though not all the way.

Should weed out the Baron/Wiggins/etc also rans.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,853
    Matthew Parris comes out for Sunak

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/only-rishi-sunak-is-smart-enough-for-tough-times-wb2zqf9cn

I’m not sure how much stock he has in the party, he is hugely discredited by his insane reaction to Brexit, so maybe he has none at all. But he does a good run-through of the candidates. He is adamant that Truss is bonkers, albeit likeable
  • Options
    stjohn said:

There's been a significant shortening of Sunak's price. And he and Javid are clearly working in unison. Maybe Javid isn’t even standing and will lead team Sunak’s campaign - with a view to reclaiming his old job at the Treasury? Sajid’s price has drifted considerably.

Wallace has also drifted and may not even run?? He is well regarded and has done well at Defence in an extraordinary time for that position. But he hasn’t held any of the 4 major offices of state.

Mourdant has also drifted and could be too “woke” for the electorate. Tug, having been the big mover yesterday has drifted back a bit. He has never held a senior cabinet position, so he seems to be a leap too far, in my view. And I can’t see why he is admired so much. Seems a bit IDS to me.

Hunt is very slow out of the traps and is a clear Remainer, which is a big problem with the membership. Zahawi is another with support yesterday who is now drifting. Plus being Chancellor for only a few days surely doesn’t give him the required credentials?

Truss is shortening in the betting and I think and hope will overhaul Penny as the preferred female.

I think it may be Sunak v Truss.

I've backed Truss at approx 11.5.

I agree. Right now it is Sunak V Truss

Mordaunt could have been in there, why the F has she been spouting this Woke shit? Silly woman

We need @HYUFD to tell us who would win between the members, if it is Sunak/Truss
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    Leon said:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/only-rishi-sunak-is-smart-enough-for-tough-times-wb2zqf9cn

I’m not sure how much stock he has in the party, he is hugely discredited by his insane reaction to Brexit, so maybe he has none at all. But he does a good run-through of the candidates. He is adamant that Truss is bonkers, albeit likeable

Kiss of death for Sunak, there.
  • Options
    First person out the door after Sunak and Javid (albeit they were in a minor post) backing Sunak

Box office. I’m supporting @RishiSunak
    and will do all I can to help speed his entry into Number Ten. #Ready4Rishi

https://twitter.com/AWMurrison

Not on the ConHome list yet.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,777
    Leon said:

As a holder of the one of the great offices of state, Foreign Secretary, one of only two women who have a serious chance in this election, someone who is also popular with Tory party members and is viewed to have been a success in her latest two cabinet positions, I think she has a good chance of being in the final two.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131
    Jeez that Sunak video is good. Can see that he worked in California for a while. Very much based on the American bios for candidates. Not sure if I have ever seen anything quite as polished this side of the Atlantic.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,828
    Late evening all :)

I'm sure deals have done, promises made of great offices of state etc, etc.

The question for the winner is do you want your friends close or your enemies closer in the new Cabinet.
  • Options
    I really hope it does end up as Sunak v Truss. My head wants Sunak, for entirely disinterested reasons, while my heart wants Truss.

Off topic and NSFW-ish but funny, ask Alexa to translate "Boris Johnson carrot coffee bean 100" into Welsh
    Welsh accent responds with what sounds very clearly to be "Boris Johnson moron fuck off ye c*nt"
  • Options
    stjohn said:

Leon said:

As a holder of the one of the great offices of state, Foreign Secretary, one of only two women who have a serious chance in this election, someone who is also popular with Tory party members and is viewed to have been a success in her latest two cabinet positions, I think she has a good chance of being in the final two.
    Parris points out (ironically, given his own views) that she was a passionate Remainer. This will hurt her

Sunak, of course, was a Leaver

Right now Sunak is correctly the favourite
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    DavidL said:

Jeez that Sunak video is good. Can see that he worked in California for a while. Very much based on the American bios for candidates. Not sure if I have ever seen anything quite as polished this side of the Atlantic.

Does it wipe out all memory of him filling up someone else’s car?
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

stjohn said:

Leon said:

Parris points out (ironically, given his own views) that she was a passionate Remainer. This will hurt her

Except Tory leavers don’t see it that way.

They think Sunak is a high-taxer with crypto-Remain tendencies.

Whereas Truss has successfully proven her Brexity credentials in the Foreign Office.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

I really hope it does end up as Sunak v Truss. My head wants Sunak, for entirely disinterested reasons, while my heart wants Truss.

Off topic and NSFW-ish but funny, ask Alexa to translate "Boris Johnson carrot coffee bean 100" into Welsh

Welsh accent responds with what sounds very clearly to be "Boris Johnson moron fuck off ye c*nt"
    Truss? Why? She's a loon, isn't she?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,592

Can you get Mr Redwood to mouth that, just to make sure it sounds correct?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

I knew self-reassignment was a thing, but surely she's presenting herself as very much a quine. If only to fit into the Maggie cosplay theme.
  • Options
    If the Tories go for Sunak, it would make Britain the first significant western country to have an Asian as leader

That’s not a small thing. It is also a good thing. It shows that Britain really is inclusive, and you can go places, whoever you are. That’s a great signal to send out

Also, it shoots a load of Labour foxes. It will be much harder for Starmer, facing Sunak

I am tending Sunak’s way, I just wish he was 5 inches taller
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,504
    More than standard English summer fare next week.

It’s probable that at least one day will exceed 35C, likely Tuesday or Wednesday. That used to be vanishingly rare but happens more often these days.

Then a cool down on Thursday and Friday to 28-30C before a split in the models between those getting up to 39-40C on Sunday-Monday (more favoured by the ECMWF model) and those slowly cooling things down (more the vibe in the American GFS model).

But France will see mid 40s and Iberia potentially up to 48C+.

It’s going to be quite dry heat. Less dangerous than the 2003 heatwave even if hotter on the continent.
  • Options

DavidL said:

I think that he needs to worry more about his non dom wife and green card as well as being a rather successful merchant banker. He’s still vulnerable in a variety of ways but he’s the man to beat.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945
    The diamond hard Brexit continuity candidate appears to be Braverman. She'll go long in this contest. May be worth a trading bet?
    Be tough to outflank her on the Right.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    Carnyx said:

Shome mishtake in the algorithm, it appears to have translated it into Glaswegian.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Shome mishtake in the algorithm, it appears to have translated it into Glaswegian.
    So it does ...
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,668
    edited July 2022
    Farooq said:

I have never seen a single loony thing from Truss, that justifies that reputation.

She's been holding major Cabinet posts for nearly a decade now, with the greatest criticism of her that people seem to be able to level is that she said "pork markets" and spoke about cheese weirdly in a speech nearly a decade ago. There doesn't seem to be any scandal at all around her handling of any of the offices she's held.

Plus she seems to fairly consistently hold economically dry and socially liberal views, which I approve of.

Plus she seems to be one of the few Cabinet Ministers who can seriously think through difficult issues and come up with sensible reforms after doing so. Even many of the critics here of the government's handling of the NI issue seemed to acknowledge her proposals for green lane/red lane handling of NI trade is a reasonable and sensible package of reforms.

Finally I met her years ago, before the Brexit referendum, and I was very impressed with her. A very smart cookie, an interesting discussion about UK's productivity problems, before it was popular to discuss that.
  • Options

DavidL said:

A British PM pumping some random Kuga? Unprecedented.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161
    dixiedean said:

The diamond hard Brexit continuity candidate appears to be Braverman. She'll go long in this contest. May be worth a trading bet?

Sunak and Braverman to the membership. the latter wins as the membership are mostly mad.

Lab landslide.

LOL
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Braverman and Badenoch, et al, are positioning themselves for better jobs in the Cabinet - and to be the next-leader-but-one
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,976
    If the tories go with Truss, they are doomed. She’s also a terrible public speaker
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    A smooth transition from Bellend to Tugend?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Clearly need to use Meta's new AI for translation rather than google...

No Language Left Behind (NLLB) is a first-of-its-kind, AI breakthrough project that open-sources models capable of delivering evaluated, high-quality translations directly between 200 languages—including low-resource languages like Asturian, Luganda, Urdu and more

https://ai.facebook.com/research/no-language-left-behind/

• Options

dixiedean said:

Sunak and Braverman to the membership. the latter wins as the membership are mostly mad.

Lab landslide.

LOL
    I keep hearing that the members are mad but since they have been given the vote, they have voted for the candidate who got the most MP votes on every occasion bar one. In 2005, they voted 60-40 for IDS but Clarke had a narrow lead amongst the MPs.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    edited July 2022
    Wallace and Tugendhat to be the final 2 MPs sent to the membership.

Sunak to be knocked out in the final round like Portillo in 2001, with Boris lending enough of his supporters to Tugendhat to complete his revenge on Sunak. Boris himself will vote for Wallace as will the bulk of his remaining loyalists
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    Grandchildren tucked up and catching up on tomorrow papers

The Guardian reporting Rishi already has 80 - 100 backers which I assume is way ahead of anyone else
  • Options
    Musk has backed out of the Twitter deal.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,214
    I assume (hope) that there will be a couple of TV debates before the MPs choose the two for us members. These could definitely have an impact: I'm thinking particularly about Truss's chances.

Then a couple of further debates between the two.

As an activist for almost 40 years, I'd be very cautious at this stage of predicting a Sunak-Truss fight. Could be extremely close.
  • Options

what again...
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,885
    Leon said:

If the Tories go for Sunak, it would make Britain the first significant western country to have an Asian as leader

That’s not a small thing. It is also a good thing. It shows that Britain really is inclusive, and you can go places, whoever you are. That’s a great signal to send out

Also, it shoots a load of Labour foxes. It will be much harder for Starmer, facing Sunak

I am intrigued how a Rishi PM would affect UK/Indian relations.

Would there be a weird celebration that the old imperial power was now run by “one of them” and the tables had turned? (That is not in any way meant derogatively).

Would India bask in it?

Would it be ignored or a bit of fun?

But would be fascinating to see how it was received in India under a Hindu nationalist gov.
  • Options

Does that mean he owes Twitter a billion dollars? That seemed an odd clause to have in the original deal, before due diligence was done.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,504
    Braverman would be the absolute worst choice for the Tories. Full on wing-nut, not greatly enamoured by the rule of law, and with objectively less charisma than Keir Starmer. Only Raab would be less electable.

Sunak and Javid would pose more problems to Labour, though neither is a sure fire vote winner.

Mordaunt is an unknown but I’m not sure she’ll stand anyway. Wallace, who knows?Tugendhat doesn’t stand a chance. Truss just comes across as faintly ridiculous with her Thatcher thing, fairly or not.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,130
    TimS said:

More than standard English summer fare next week.

It’s probable that at least one day will exceed 35C, likely Tuesday or Wednesday. That used to be vanishingly rare but happens more often these days.

Then a cool down on Thursday and Friday to 28-30C before a split in the models between those getting up to 39-40C on Sunday-Monday (more favoured by the ECMWF model) and those slowly cooling things down (more the vibe in the American GFS model).

But France will see mid 40s and Iberia potentially up to 48C+.

It’s going to be quite dry heat. Less dangerous than the 2003 heatwave even if hotter on the continent.

I’m not convinced it will be much above 32 deg, but you never know.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,113
    JACK_W said:

Thems the breaks Mike ...

Are you teaching OGH to drive?
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

Who would be the first elected European leader of an Asian nation? Does it really matter.

Obama was the first non white leader of the USA but then the USA is a nation mainly composed of immigrants unlike Europe
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sunak to be knocked out in the final round like Portillo in 2001, with Boris lending enough of his supporters to Tugendhat to complete his revenge on Sunak. Boris himself will vote for Wallace as will the bulk of his remaining loyalists

I was thinking yesterday that that could be Tugendhat's only hope. Get enough votes to get to the final 5 and then hope for tactical voting due to being too remain-y for the members. Then hope that the other candidate blows up in some way.
  • Options
    Derbyshire heading Newsnight is yet another massive f-up by the BBC.

How many shit decisions can they make in one year?
  • Options
    Ben Wallace isn’t even going to stand, is he? Nor Javid, I suspect
  • Options

Without being too coarse, I’ve always suspected she is having relations with someone who makes decisions high up. Can’t think of any other reason for her increasing exposure.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Ben Wallace isn’t even going to stand, is he? Nor Javid, I suspect

I feel a deal has been done.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Who would be the first European leader of an Asian nation? Does it really matter.

Obama was the first non white leader of the USA but then the USA is a nation mainly composed of immigrants unlike Europe
    Got news for you. Europeans are *all* immigrants.

Unless you mean born there. But that doesn't make sense against your US stat.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Braverman and Badenoch, et al, are positioning themselves for better jobs in the Cabinet - and to be the next-leader-but-one
    Indeed they are. But think back 24 hours. Would you have had Braverman in the top 4?
    Or even top 25?
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Without being too coarse, I’ve always suspected she is having relations with someone who makes decisions high up. Can’t think of any other reason for her increasing exposure.
    Well......remember how she leap frogged Fi Glover (who was the golden child at R5 at the time).....she was shagging Fi Glover's partner who also worked at the BBC and at the time they had shows that overlapped, Fi Glover couldn't take it and had to step away from her prime gig.

BBC boss who left radio star wife for presenter Victoria Derbyshire is sacked over claims he sexually harassed a staff member and a probe into his expenses

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2706920/BBC-boss-left-radio-star-wife-presenter-Victoria-Derbyshire-sacked-claims-sexually-harassed-staff-member-probe-expenses.html
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,214
    HYUFD said:

I think you're letting your loathing of Sunak grossly affect your judgement here. But we shall see.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

The Guardian reporting Rishi already has 80 - 100 backers which I assume is way ahead of anyone else

I’m impressed that the grandkids are already reading the papers... :D
    I realised I would receive that comment once I had posted it as I have been on this forum for quite a while and should know how it works
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

She is so grossly over promoted as AG it is almost a sick joke. An appointment that was presumably done to make the HS look a little less appalling. It didn’t work of course.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213
    boulay said:

Leon said:

Would there be a weird celebration that the old imperial power was now run by “one of them” and the tables had turned? (That is not in any way meant derogatively).

Would India bask in it?

But would be fascinating to see how it was received in India under a Hindu nationalist gov.
    Surprisingly, Shinzo Abe's death has led to an official day of mourning in India tomorrow:
    https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/shinzo-abe-assassination-india-declares-1-day-state-mourning-after-japan-ex-pm-shinzo-abes-death-3139607
  • Options
    HYUFD seems desperate for Sunak not to win. Strange.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470
    Not that much of a surprise that Steve Baker withdraws and supports Suella Braverman.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

He's even more vertically challenged??
  • Options
    Farooq said:

He has been for a long time and his comments just confirm it
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    Tugendhat would be the wrong choice. He reminds me of a British Marco Rubio.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

It does make me wonder who is running the HYUFD software to have them so clearly Stop Sunak.

The software patch if Sunak wins is going to be a laugh though. We have always been at war with Eastasia.
  • Options

boulay said:

Leon said:

Would India bask in it?

Surprisingly, Shinzo Abe's death has led to an official day of mourning in India tomorrow:
    https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/shinzo-abe-assassination-india-declares-1-day-state-mourning-after-japan-ex-pm-shinzo-abes-death-3139607
    He was a close ally of Modi
  • Options
    Baker backing Braverman is interesting - the looney fringe is getting itself together

Her v Truss for the ballot
  • Options

boulay said:

Leon said:

Would India bask in it?

Is it true that Abe was a nasty little shit? Something about a fascist organisation and defending Japan's war crimes?
  • Options

Farooq said:

It does make me wonder who is running the HYUFD software to have them so clearly Stop Sunak.

The software patch if Sunak wins is going to be a laugh though. We have always been at war with Eastasia.
    Boris runs it
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,545
    Badenoch has declared
  • Options
    JohnO said:

HYUFD said:

I think you're letting your loathing of Sunak grossly affect your judgement here. But we shall see.
    It will be funny in the extreme to see HY become a cheerleader for Sunak if he becomes PM.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Deleted. Obvious comment already made.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    This is Osbornites (Rishi) versus Populists (Truss), with Remainers (Tugendhat), Trad Tories (Wallace), and ERGers (Braverman) shaping up as the other blocs.

ERGers will hope to block Rishi and Tugendhat.

Remainers, and possibly Old Schoolers, will hope to block Truss and Braverman.

Boris will go for Truss.
    May would go for Wallace.
    Cummings for Rishi.
    Frost for Truss.
    Gove for Rishi or Tugendhat.
    Cameron would go for Tugendhat.
    Osborn for Rishi or Tugendhat.

Mordaunt needs to grab the Truss vote if she wants to go for it.
  • Options

That sounds a strong number already. If I am correct the magic number to guarantee a place in the members vote is 120 votes (a third of the electorate +1)
  • Options

Badenoch has declared

I stayed at the Badenoch resort in Aviemore way back in 1989.
  • Options

I realised I would receive that comment once I had posted it as I have been on this forum for quite a while and should know how it works
    All good fun - no offence intended! Hope you are enjoying their company.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Who would be the first European leader of an Asian nation? Does it really matter.

No they aren't, most Europeans have had European ancestry for at least 1,000 years. As most Asians have had Asian ancestry for at least 1000 years.

Most US citizens however have European or African or Latin American or Asian ancestry within the last 250 years. The only non immigrant Americans are the native American Indians
  • Options
    Farooq said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Would India bask in it?

Is it true that Abe was a nasty little shit? Something about a fascist organisation and defending Japan's war crimes?
    Can't comment on the first bit but this perhaps helps clarify it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-54216632
  • Options
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Yes, it matters. And it’s good for Britain’s soft power for us to be seen as a welcoming, non-racist, inclusive and tolerant country: for the very good reason that we REALLY ARE all these things, certainly by the standards of 98% of the countries in the world

This Woke discourse that Britain is some hot bed of hateful racism really fucks my noodles. We are NOT racist. Not by the standards of history, not by the standards of our peers. We are imperfect. Oh yes we are imperfect. But we are not this Nazi toilet that the Guardian CONSTANTLY tries to portray
    And because that narrative has penetrated progressive opinion on the continent and in the US, having Sunak as PM would confound a lot of people.
  • Options
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Yes, it matters. And it’s good for Britain’s soft power for us to be seen as a welcoming, non-racist, inclusive and tolerant country: for the very good reason that we REALLY ARE all these things, certainly by the standards of 98% of the countries in the world

This Woke discourse that Britain is some hot bed of hateful racism really fucks my noodles. We are NOT racist. Not by the standards of history, not by the standards of our peers. We are imperfect. Oh yes we are imperfect. But we are not this Nazi toilet that the Guardian CONSTANTLY tries to portray
    A top team of Sunak, Javid and Zahawi will drive kimono fox killer absolutely bat shit crazy.
  • Options

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

And because that narrative has penetrated progressive opinion on the continent and in the US, having Sunak as PM would confound a lot of people.
    Yes, the New York Times would probably prolapse as it tried to contort itself around the fact that racist Brexity Britain has…. An Indian prime minister? and everyone is totally cool with that?
  • Options

Badenoch has declared

Who's she supporting?
  • Options
    As Badenoch was Theresa May's protégée, she may get a heavyweight endorsement.
  • Options

They're going for a coronation. But it's not worth the whines. Just make sure the second candidate is acceptable, and the members can have their say.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,777
    Leon said:

stjohn said:

Leon said:

Yes she was. But since the vote she has been the best example of someone accepting the result. As International Trade Secretary she secured a number of high profile trade agreements. On Newsnight the other night the "experts" opined that the next Tory leader had to be a Brexiteer. I disagree. The best choice would be a Remainer who has accepted and embraced the result.

In Liz we Truss.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

If he gets the Saj on board in exchange for the Chancellorship I think that he becomes unstoppable. I also think that the UK could do a hell of a lot worse given the coming economic crisis.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    Leon said:

Surely you are able to reassure him that if you have a size deficiency you just have to try harder to make up for it in other ways?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    JohnO said:

HYUFD said:

The theory that boris loyalists are a meaningful bloc is bizarre. Who are they (other than HYUFD)? I can't see even nads/jrm sticking with him once it is clear there is no profit in doing so
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,364
    edited July 2022
    JohnO said:

HYUFD said:

Who is your favoured candidate at the moment John? (I think I've asked you before, though with apologies I can't remember the answer - Hunt? If I'm right, is it still the case?)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

No they aren't, most Europeans have had European ancestry for at least 1,000 years. As most Asians have had Asian ancestry for at least 1000 years.

Most US citizens however have European or African or Latin American or Asian ancestry within the last 200 years. The only non immigrant Americans are the native American Indians
    Oh? So most US citizens's lines suddenly pop iunto existence 200 years ago? Huge if true.

Plus you didn't say anything about timing.

I've got even more news for ytou. This chap Mr Darwin wrote some interesting books a centiry or two ago. His successors have shown that all non-African humans are immigrants from Africa.
  • Options

Of course no offence taken - indeed here is me criticising Biden for his silly teleprompt mistake, and I of a similar age have not learnt English properly yet !!!!!

As you say all good fun and our grandchildren are the centre of our world with no 5 due on the 1st September the date Rishi travels to the Palace (maybe)
  • Options

Baker backing Braverman is interesting - the looney fringe is getting itself together

Why is Braverman a loony?
  • Options
    JohnO said:

HYUFD said:

I have no clue how the MPs will go, but I am confused by the idea of Boris loyalists. Now he is no longer leader of the party they cannot back him so if guided by him are more supporters than loyalists I'd have thought.

If they cause trouble for the new leader they are not party loyalists, they are rebels from then on. Which is fine, its ok to be a member of the awkward squad.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,066
    From the Guardian:

Former equalities minister Kemi Badenoch, who resigned from government two days ago, has announced she will be joining the running to be Boris Johnson’s successor.

She told the Times she would radically cut the size of the state and provide a “limited government focused on essentials”.

I wonder where that would leave the Red Wall and the Levelling Up agenda?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Most US citizens however have European or African or Latin American or Asian ancestry within the last 200 years. The only non immigrant Americans are the native American Indians
    Oh? So most US citizens's lines suddenly pop iunto existence 200 years ago? Huge if true.

Plus you didn't say anything about timing.

I've got even more news for ytou. This chap Mr Darwin wrote some interesting books a centiry or two ago. His successors have shown that all non-African humans are immigrants from Africa.
    So what that doesn't change the fact most citizens of the nation of the USA are descended from immigrants and most citizens of European and Asian and African nations are not. Those nations being created centuries after humans moved out of Africa
  • Options

Of course no offence taken - indeed here is me criticising Biden for his silly teleprompt mistake, and I of a similar age have not learnt English properly yet !!!!!

As you say all good fun and our grandchildren are the centre of our world with no 5 due on the 1st September the date Rishi travels to the Palace (maybe)
    I love having you on the forum. You are a couple of years younger than my dad, and he needs his wife to do anything internet related.
  • Options
    Now, we all expect a new leader to cull plenty of members from the current Cabinet. But will the new leader go scorched earth with the fired like May? Will there be some big beasts they fear to remove? Who staying in would we consider to be a sign the new leader is a bad 'in?
  • Options
    Where is Priti in all this?

Offering support on condition she remains Home Secretary?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    edited July 2022
    Andy_JS said:

Why is Braverman a loony?
    not a question which would be asked by anyone paying any attention

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo5dnxw2PGc&ab_channel=PoliticsJOE

https://www.indy100.com/politics/suella-braverman-attorney-general-protocol
  • Options
    kle4 said:

They're going for a coronation. But it's not worth the whines. Just make sure the second candidate is acceptable, and the members can have their say.
    80 to 100 is not even a third of the parliamentary party, let alone a clear majority.

This discussion has been closed.