Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The papers after an historic day – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,262

On top, your regular reminder that the newspapers follow the prejudices of their readers; they don't lead them. They are a product selling to a customer base like any other.

Think who buys the Daily Mail and Daily Express these days, and you have your answer.

That's very true, though what does it say about Mail readers that the Express has come out with a dignified front page while the Mail has gone full tonto?
    Dacre wants ermine in the resignation honours. Simple as that.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,709
    Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Good morning everyone.

Boris will not earn his much-needed money through sales of his personal memoir. He may get a mildly decent advance but the actual books won't sell. No one wants to read a serial liar's spin and self-justification these days. Biographies about this turbulent time might do better but non-fiction generally struggles these days. The internet is such a great, and terrible, resource for finding out information, as are endless tv shows, that there are very few rabbits left for a non-fiction author to pull out of the hat.

As I mentioned, I doubt he will fill halls for talks either. No one wants to listen to a failure and liar, and he's a poor public speaker. As chaotic as in everything else. His best hope will be after-dinner speeches when everyone is too drunk to mind incoherent ramblings about Peppa Pig world.

Leon got very personal with us all over this but, of course, the reason he's so irate is his own fear. Boris Johnson was a serial philanderer, a man approaching sixty whose attitude to sexual predation belonged to an era from which most of society has moved on. Boris Johnson got the top job for one reason and one reason only: to deliver Brexit. And that was on the back of the Remainer Parliament and an unelectable anti-Semitic Trotskyite Labour leader. As a person Boris was manifestly unsuited to the top job and the page on the chapter has already been turned. The flowers fade and the grass withers. It happens to all of us and some deserve it more than others.

The country is leaving Boris and his type of politics and personal behaviour behind. Whether that's under a reboot of the Conservative brand, or a completely new broom under Labour-LibDems, we will wait to see. But move on it has, and is.

You’re not the first PB-er to fall in love with me
    Shhhh, secret, but I'm not into men. You may have noticed.

My partner is a gorgeous female.
    Is she not worried that you’re clearly obsessed with me?

As for Bozza’s earnings, here’s the Independent:

“Mr Johnson, who is famously at home with deploying incendiary turns of phrase, would without doubt be in receipt of handsome offers from publishers for his Downing Street memoirs. Mr Blair received a reported £4.6m advance for his tome, with the sum being donated to charity.”

And here’s the Mail;

“Mr Johnson could become 'Billion Dollar Boris' if he plays his cards right with book deals, broadcast slots and speech circuits.

Experts say he will 'eclipse Tony Blair' and could net double the estimated £10million a year the former Labour leader made from speeches after office.

Mr Johnson, who once moaned his £250,000 Daily Telegraph column salary was 'chicken feed', is estimated to 'easily' earn £400,000 per speech while his memoirs could sell for 'at least' £1million

PR guru Mark Borkowski said: 'Boris is fairly wise and over the next 25 years if he can continue to grow it's going to be Billion Dollar Boris. He's a global brand, and with the right management, this is beyond speech-making.'“

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10993095/Boris-Johnson-set-net-fortune-leaves-office.html
    Yes, but that is delusional.

Johnson certainly has a fanbase, but not one that pays £400 000 to hear of Peppa Pig.

In the UK no one wants or has a role for an ex-PM, they either sulk on the back benches (Heath, May) or lock themselves away, pretending that they still have significance (Blair, Brown, Thatcher), or completely disappear (Cameron). Major seems to be the only one enjoying himself.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,232
    Foxy said:

Heathener said:

The morning after the night before. The challenge now for the '22 is how to remove him. Given everything that has gone on they are increasingly and acutely aware of just how dangerous an idea it is to leave him in office.

Question - has he actually resigned as Conservative party leader? He didn't mention the r-word at all. Just that a leadership contest would take place. So do the '22 threaten to remove the whip?

One of my fears is that he will use his presence as PM to interfere with the leadership election, to get someone he strongly favours into the job. He needs to keep his nose right out of it - but being Boris, he will not.
    Odd that on the day before he fell, he was caught confessing to flying off in secret to meet the KGB. Was fascinating as that exchange went on watching the aide behind him sit blank faced as he wrote a note and circled it then passed it to BlowJo who immediately shut up - as instructed?

We know there are major national security concerns about him and his circle. Some of us have been talking about the russian money and influence for a while - and now he's coughed. Another reason to get him out.

[...]
    If I was Boris I think I'd become an expat. I could see the hand of the law paying him one or two visits.
    I don't think Carrie fancies the rubber chicken circuit.

Johnson will make a bunch on his memoirs, though few will actually read them, then drink himself to a slow death.
    I hope I am still around to see his twilight years of penury, living in a council funded care home surrounded by the aroma of cabbage water and his own stale urine.

It couldn't happen to a more deserving man.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,311
    Scott_xP said:

Tories in freefall in this week's Times poll - Labour *eleven* points ahead

CON 29 (-4)
    LAB 40 (+1)
    LIB DEM 15 (+2)
    GREEN 6 (n/c)
    REF UK 3 (-1)

Highest Labour score since January... highest Lib Dem rating of this parliament https://twitter.com/patrickkmaguire/status/1545299367313260545/photo/1

A few more polls like that and there'll be extra pressure to speed up the process to replace Johnson.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,803

Scott_xP said:

He will want his legacy to be cemented; and that means having a successor who will not dismantle the little he has achieved (although to be fair, Covid and Ukraine got in the way). And that little is Brexit.

He will therefore want a hard Brexiteer in charge. And his track record indicates he will interfere to get one.

Brexit will be dismantled by reality, whoever is the next Tory PM
    Maybe you need to listen to the official opposition, maybe the next government whose policy is identical to the conservatives and rejects rejoining even the single market let alone the EU

Looks as if you will be tweeting for years to come
    And I'll still be agreeing with Scott's Brexit analysis.

The LOTO hasn't covered himself with glory in the last week. He was abysmal yesterday and his Brexit policy is failed Johnsonianism.

The FPN can't come soon enough.
    As I have just said he and his wife were enjoying the Royal Box at Wimbledon while this was unfolding
    Is he a Tory grandee? No? That's your answer right there.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Heathener said:

IanB2 said:

Labour risks getting itself into a pickle over this confidence vote?

One of the oddest aspects of this drama is the quiet incompetence of Her Majesty’s Opposition.

People expecting better governance anytime soon are deluded. Both the New Brexit Revolutionary Party and the Labour Party are unfit for purpose.
    While this was panning out yesterday Starmer and his wife were enjoying hospitality in the Royal Box at Wimbledon

Not a good look
    It's a very good look. Well done them.

Enjoying British summer. Showing they're normal. Whilst the tory party tears itself to shreds.

However, the fact that some tory sympathisers on here are starting to turn their ire on Labour and SKS is a sign that they are serious about winning again instead of focusing on removing the wicked clown from office.

Politics is about to return to more normality.
    Tory opinion poll leads? 😉
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,907
    TOPPING said:

Was Abe controversial in any way.

Not particularly.

Most famous for Abenomics, the name given to the particularly Japanese response to the last recession.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abenomics
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Heathener said:

IanB2 said:

One of the oddest aspects of this drama is the quiet incompetence of Her Majesty’s Opposition.

People expecting better governance anytime soon are deluded. Both the New Brexit Revolutionary Party and the Labour Party are unfit for purpose.
    Come come Stuart. Labour have done well through this. Sir Keir Starmer was forensic and funny at PMQ's and they need do nothing else except keep their heads down, with the occasional well-meaning platitude from the sidelines.

When a party is tearing itself apart you really don't need to join in, or you may suddenly find they all unite and turn on you.

Best left to it. Labour are doing just fine through this. As the polls confirm.
    Done well
    Forensic
    Funny
    PMQs
    Need do nothing
    Keep their heads down
    Platitude
    Sidelines
    Don’t need to join in

I love the smell of Unionist complacency in the morning.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,329
    Heathener said:

IanB2 said:

While this was panning out yesterday Starmer and his wife were enjoying hospitality in the Royal Box at Wimbledon

Not a good look

Enjoying British summer. Showing they're normal. Whilst the tory party tears itself to shreds.

However, the fact that some tory sympathisers on here are starting to turn their ire on Labour and SKS is a sign that they are serious about winning again instead of focusing on removing the wicked clown from office.

Johnson is over and yes I am rejoining the party and will want them to beat Labour at the next GE
  • Options

The morning after the night before. The challenge now for the '22 is how to remove him. Given everything that has gone on they are increasingly and acutely aware of just how dangerous an idea it is to leave him in office.

Question - has he actually resigned as Conservative party leader? He didn't mention the r-word at all. Just that a leadership contest would take place. So do the '22 threaten to remove the whip?

One of my fears is that he will use his presence as PM to interfere with the leadership election, to get someone he strongly favours into the job. He needs to keep his nose right out of it - but being Boris, he will not.
    Odd that on the day before he fell, he was caught confessing to flying off in secret to meet the KGB. Was fascinating as that exchange went on watching the aide behind him sit blank faced as he wrote a note and circled it then passed it to BlowJo who immediately shut up - as instructed?

We know there are major national security concerns about him and his circle. Some of us have been talking about the russian money and influence for a while - and now he's coughed. Another reason to get him out.

Lets assume that the Ukraine war heats up. Cool heads are needed. Is Johnson really the right man to be making decisions? The lame-duck PM is supposed to not make any policy decisions. That feels impossible when you consider what is going on in the world right now.
    I am no fan of Johnson. But the idea - as many on her claim - that he is doing Russian bidding is laughable given his actions and words.

(BTW, I want Johnson to leave No.10 immediately.)
    Where did I say he was doing their bidding? He clearly isn't at the moment. But as we know, it is a major security risk to have someone as senior and as indebted as the Prime Minister in hock to money that is being channelled through so many ex-KGB and ex-Putin people.

If it was all above board he would have met them openly. If there was no security risk then why did JIC say there was a major security risk in appointing Lord Lebedev of Siberia?

If it was a Labour person in this situation you know what your reaction would be. You wouldn't find it laughable would you? So I always try and apply the same rules and standards for everyone.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

IanB2 said:

Not a good look
    Eh? He should been wearing black for Boris? Ridiculous. I suspect this is more inverted snobbery, Labour politians are not allowed to watch Opera or Tennis.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,265
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Good morning everyone.

Boris will not earn his much-needed money through sales of his personal memoir. He may get a mildly decent advance but the actual books won't sell. No one wants to read a serial liar's spin and self-justification these days. Biographies about this turbulent time might do better but non-fiction generally struggles these days. The internet is such a great, and terrible, resource for finding out information, as are endless tv shows, that there are very few rabbits left for a non-fiction author to pull out of the hat.

As I mentioned, I doubt he will fill halls for talks either. No one wants to listen to a failure and liar, and he's a poor public speaker. As chaotic as in everything else. His best hope will be after-dinner speeches when everyone is too drunk to mind incoherent ramblings about Peppa Pig world.

Leon got very personal with us all over this but, of course, the reason he's so irate is his own fear. Boris Johnson was a serial philanderer, a man approaching sixty whose attitude to sexual predation belonged to an era from which most of society has moved on. Boris Johnson got the top job for one reason and one reason only: to deliver Brexit. And that was on the back of the Remainer Parliament and an unelectable anti-Semitic Trotskyite Labour leader. As a person Boris was manifestly unsuited to the top job and the page on the chapter has already been turned. The flowers fade and the grass withers. It happens to all of us and some deserve it more than others.

The country is leaving Boris and his type of politics and personal behaviour behind. Whether that's under a reboot of the Conservative brand, or a completely new broom under Labour-LibDems, we will wait to see. But move on it has, and is.

“Mr Johnson, who is famously at home with deploying incendiary turns of phrase, would without doubt be in receipt of handsome offers from publishers for his Downing Street memoirs. Mr Blair received a reported £4.6m advance for his tome, with the sum being donated to charity.”

And here’s the Mail;

“Mr Johnson could become 'Billion Dollar Boris' if he plays his cards right with book deals, broadcast slots and speech circuits.

Experts say he will 'eclipse Tony Blair' and could net double the estimated £10million a year the former Labour leader made from speeches after office.

Mr Johnson, who once moaned his £250,000 Daily Telegraph column salary was 'chicken feed', is estimated to 'easily' earn £400,000 per speech while his memoirs could sell for 'at least' £1million

PR guru Mark Borkowski said: 'Boris is fairly wise and over the next 25 years if he can continue to grow it's going to be Billion Dollar Boris. He's a global brand, and with the right management, this is beyond speech-making.'“

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10993095/Boris-Johnson-set-net-fortune-leaves-office.html

Johnson certainly has a fanbase, but not one that pays £400 000 to hear of Peppa Pig.

In the UK no one wants or has a role for an ex-PM, they either sulk on the back benches (Heath, May) or lock themselves away, pretending that they still have significance (Blair, Brown, Thatcher), or completely disappear (Cameron). Major seems to be the only one enjoying himself.
    No indeed and the days of big advances for political memoirs have passed. That's a publishing comment.

Anyway, I've said enough on that. We shall see. Once he's booted out of No.10 I shall not waste time thinking about Boris Johnson any further.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

IanB2 said:

Come come Stuart. Labour have done well through this. Sir Keir Starmer was forensic and funny at PMQ's and they need do nothing else except keep their heads down, with the occasional well-meaning platitude from the sidelines.

When a party is tearing itself apart you really don't need to join in, or you may suddenly find they all unite and turn on you.

Best left to it. Labour are doing just fine through this. As the polls confirm.
    IN any case, it's all too clear that the UK state and polity are a mere appendage to Conservative Party internal mechanics. Just that it's a shame when the CP gets constipation or a dose of the squits.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008
    Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Good morning everyone.

And here’s the Mail;

Re 'PR guru Mark Borkowski' in the last paragraph, I do worry about his assessment. I'm not sure I would describe Boris as very wise!
    Would I use this gentleman as a PR advisor? Hmmm

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,330
    Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Good morning everyone.

Boris will not earn his mWhether that's under a reboot of the Conservative brand, or a completely new broom under Labour-LibDems, we will wait to see. But move on it has, and is.

[...]

Let's see. I think if there's any obsession it's towards Boris, with the Daily Mail and Daily Express. And you, obvs.

His star has fallen. Now is the time for you to get over it.

The country is moving on. Thankfully.
    Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Good morning everyone.

Boris will not earn his much-needed money through sales of his personal memoir. He may get a broom under Labour-LibDems, we will wait to see. But move on it has, and is.

[...]

Let's see. I think if there's any obsession it's towards Boris, with the Daily Mail and Daily Express. And you, obvs.

His star has fallen. Now is the time for you to get over it.

The country is moving on. Thankfully.
    OK. How about the Times then? The Times which called for him to go. From today’s edition (££):

“Jonathan Shalit, a talent agent, said that Johnson would still hold an appeal despite low approval ratings. “When the dust has settled, the charisma and fascination in Boris remains, and possibly now stronger than ever,” he said.

“Boris will make the post-prime ministerial earnings and wealth and earnings of his predecessors pale in comparison to what he will achieve.””

I suppose we could dismiss all these experts - who needs experts? - and defer to the opinion of some sapphic crank in Surrey with a knitting pattern who thinks Boris Johnson’s memoirs will sell “fewer than 5000 copies”
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

IanB2 said:

Not a good look
    Eh? He should been wearing black for Boris? Ridiculous. I suspect this is more inverted snobbery, Labour politians are not allowed to watch Opera or Tennis.
    I think he means that SKS should have been sitting on the same platform as the Tories and cutting his own party's throat in so doing.
  • Options

That implies he has a preference for anyone other than Alexander Johnson. Doubtful he gives a shit really.
    I get the *impression* that Johnson really cares about his legacy. Really, really cares. Being Mayor of London or PM was not about helping London or the country; it was about how brilliant he would appear in the future. This is why the way his time as PM appears to be ending will be so hard on him - although his own actions have made it far worse as he has shown a characteristic lack of dignity.

He will want his legacy to be cemented; and that means having a successor who will not dismantle the little he has achieved (although to be fair, Covid and Ukraine got in the way). And that little is Brexit.

He will therefore want a hard Brexiteer in charge. And his track record indicates he will interfere to get one.
    Again, what makes you think a hard Brexiteer will create a positive legacy for Brexit? If anything, a soft, pragmatic Brexiteer, or even pragmatic ex Remainer is the only hope for a positive legacy.

And no need to interfere with that, the membership are still loony enough to strongly prefer those who are sound on Brexit anyway.
    You and I have very different views probably on what a positive legacy entails, but how is a Remainer going to leave a positive legacy?

Boris has set the right foundations for a positive Brexit. The UK is not aligned to the EU, so we can and will diverge and evolve in different directions in years to come.

Anyone who decides to "make Brexit work" by aligning Britain with Europe is basically just reversing the entire frigging point of Brexit. There's nothing positive in that, its entirely acting from a negative perspective.
    I know you keep posting "the UK is not aligned to the EU" but even you must know this is JRM-level delusion on two fronts:
    1. There is no UK. GB and NI are entirely separate zones with separate rules and separate paperwork.
    2. Both GB and NI zones are very aligned with the EEA having made no efforts to separate. Creating the faff of "UKCA" labels to replace "CE" when the standards are the same is a complete waste of everyone's time and money.

I expect the new government to engage in more realpolitik than the outgoing one. Perhaps you may come to accept this, over time.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

That implies he has a preference for anyone other than Alexander Johnson. Doubtful he gives a shit really.
    I get the *impression* that Johnson really cares about his legacy. Really, really cares. Being Mayor of London or PM was not about helping London or the country; it was about how brilliant he would appear in the future. This is why the way his time as PM appears to be ending will be so hard on him - although his own actions have made it far worse as he has shown a characteristic lack of dignity.

Again, what makes you think a hard Brexiteer will create a positive legacy for Brexit? If anything, a soft, pragmatic Brexiteer, or even pragmatic ex Remainer is the only hope for a positive legacy.

And no need to interfere with that, the membership are still loony enough to strongly prefer those who are sound on Brexit anyway.
    You and I have very different views probably on what a positive legacy entails, but how is a Remainer going to leave a positive legacy?

Boris has set the right foundations for a positive Brexit. The UK is not aligned to the EU, so we can and will diverge and evolve in different directions in years to come.

Anyone who decides to "make Brexit work" by aligning Britain with Europe is basically just reversing the entire frigging point of Brexit. There's nothing positive in that, its entirely acting from a negative perspective.
    What is fundamentally needed is a change of tone. The UK government should not be using disputes with the EU to rally support for itself. It should be looking to rebuild bruised relationships, find practical solutions to actual problems and take the heat out of the disagreements. A post Boris government is a real opportunity to do that which would be a good thing for us and them. We have much more important things to worry about like Ukraine, China and commodity driven inflation. Our interests align on these issues and we should want to work together constructively on them.
    It depends entirely on them, not us.

If the EU agrees to completely reasonable proposals like Truss's on how to resolve the NI thorn in the side, then things can heal and move on.

If they don't, then confrontation is needed to get that done with.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Not a good look
    I agree. Does it matter that this is a Tory tragedy and best let them get on with it? No. Don't be seen to be taking posho entertainment. Not on a day like yesterday.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

I think that he wouldn't want someone who trashes his legacy by doing a Kruschev on him. Someone who exposes all his sordid graft etc.
    Not in their interests given they all worked for him.

The Tories are very good at whitewash.
    Kruschev worked for Stalin didn't he?
    The incentives in Soviet Russia were somewhat different.
    I'd be very surprised if there's any appetite at all in the Tory party to examine their own dirty washing in public.

They haven't suddenly become a haven of morality.

And many of the leading names have equally as much dirty laundry to conceal.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

[...]
    If I was Boris I think I'd become an expat. I could see the hand of the law paying him one or two visits.

Johnson will make a bunch on his memoirs, though few will actually read them, then drink himself to a slow death.
    I hope I am still around to see his twilight years of penury, living in a council funded care home surrounded by the aroma of cabbage water and his own stale urine.

There will be council funded care homes? Not workhouses?
  • Options
    Incidentally, whatever happens I do hope that the irony of the Daily Express headline is seen for what it is and that Governments will repeal what has happened. I'm not referring to Brexit.

I'm referring to the appalling infringements of civil liberty that Johnson and his cronies enacted. From restricting the right to protest through to those appalling lockdowns, and the pernicious policing thereof, this has not been a Government that has given back personal freedom at all. It has been Big Brother Big State at almost every turn. Ghastly.

We need our freedoms back.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

On top, your regular reminder that the newspapers follow the prejudices of their readers; they don't lead them. They are a product selling to a customer base like any other.

Think who buys the Daily Mail and Daily Express these days, and you have your answer.

The Mail only sells 862,000 copies.
    The Express just 206,000

https://pressgazette.co.uk/most-popular-newspapers-uk-abc-monthly-circulation-figures/

Their readership is dying off. Quite literally.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,760
    Johnson establishing a nice low base for his successor:

Tories in the 20s and the anti-Tory parties (Lab/LD/Greens/SNP/PC) hit a new high of 67% of the vote. Highest for 20 years.

https://twitter.com/samfr/status/1545302667530043394

Though I think “not-Tory” is more accurate than “anti-Tory”, given how voters move between them.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I really don't see any need to hound Boris out of office now but I do hope that the 22 get on with it. Their elections are on Monday I think and once the new committee is in place presumably they can announce a time table right away.

At the moment there are a lot of fantasy candidates like Braverman. An early round with a minimum tariff to clear out the deluded would be helpful. MPs will be looking to do deals and, for me a joint Javid/Sunak ticket would be seriously attractive. Most of our more successful governments have had a close team at the top, whether Blair/Brown or Cameron/Osborne. A PM needs someone who can act as an enforcer and link to the party, as Maggie put it every PM needs a Willie. The lack of such a reliable and solid supporter in cabinet and office was a major factor in the undermining of Boris but he was always a lone wolf who focused on himself. .

As soon as the voting starts any remaining power in Boris will drain away. We face a period of paralysis but we can cope with that for a few weeks and it will be worth it if we get a clearer idea of our sense of direction at the end of it than we have had for the last 9 months.

"every PM needs a Willie" was Maggie gently pointing out that there was still a lot of misogyny in the Party at the time....
  • Options

Heathener said:

IanB2 said:

Not a good look

Johnson is over and yes I am rejoining the party and will want them to beat Labour at the next GE
    Prime Minister Patel?
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816
    So, in the post FTPA world a no confidence vote still has the two possible outcomes of government / PM resignation or a GE, with the latter conventional for most circumstances but the former most appropriate if a VONC succeeds here.

I guess a lot of argument in a debate would be around the conventions, and an assured change of PM could tempt a few on the Tory backbenches, especially if the leadership election timetable is a bit tardy. But I don't see one passing.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,992

Mark Jenkinson MP
    @markjenkinsonmp
    I have sought counsel from those I can trust to blow smoke up my arse 💨

That, when weighed against my own inflated sense of self-importance, leads me to conclude that I should throw my hat 🎩into the ring and stand for election as Leader of the
    @Conservative
    and Unionist Party

Mark Jenkinson MP
    @markjenkinsonmp
    ·
    24m
    Replying to
    @markjenkinsonmp
    Over the next six weeks I will be available to promise you the moon on a stick. Ask and it shall be yours.

Let me worry about how I deal with three chancellors and a cabinet of 160. It is having the answers to those questions that makes me the most suitable candidate.
  • Options

Heathener said:

IanB2 said:

Not a good look

Prime Minister Patel?
    No
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Incidentally, whatever happens I do hope that the irony of the Daily Express headline is seen for what it is and that Governments will repeal what has happened. I'm not referring to Brexit.

I'm referring to the appalling infringements of civil liberty that Johnson and his cronies enacted. From restricting the right to protest through to those appalling lockdowns, and the pernicious policing thereof, this has not been a Government that has given back personal freedom at all. It has been Big Brother Big State at almost every turn. Ghastly.

We need our freedoms back.

Indeed, I was quite glad to see Steve Bray back behind interviewers on the telly, and the noisy playing of the Benny Hill theme tune. It added a proper dimension of British farce to the proceedings, and didn't seem to get him nicked.

Much better to have this pantomime than the Proud Boys cosplay attempted coup.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,430
    edited July 2022

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

[...]

Boris will return to the land of his birth and make millions on American telly. He can also pick up a moosehead chair or two at a US university. That's the American jam on the British bread and butter of his Telegraph column (was £250,000 and he can probably double that) and the advance on his memoirs.
  • Options

I know you keep posting "the UK is not aligned to the EU" but even you must know this is JRM-level delusion on two fronts:
    1. There is no UK. GB and NI are entirely separate zones with separate rules and separate paperwork.
    2. Both GB and NI zones are very aligned with the EEA having made no efforts to separate. Creating the faff of "UKCA" labels to replace "CE" when the standards are the same is a complete waste of everyone's time and money.

I expect the new government to engage in more realpolitik than the outgoing one. Perhaps you may come to accept this, over time.
    1. There is a UK. GB and NI are entirely legally the same, which is why Truss's bill can resolve the issues if it gets through Parliament, because that's a matter for domestic law not international trade.

2. You are making the mistake of a creationist zealot expecting a frog to birth a human if evolution is real. That's not how evolution works. Divergence has already begun and will take time, but we will evolve differently.
  • Options
    On legacy, did not Mayor Boris announced the Garden Bridge project when it was clear he wasn't going to be in office very much longer?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,040
    It’s 8.17 and already today:

* Labour has announced it is tabling a confidence motion next week

* A former senior civil servant has savaged Simon Case, accusing him of being a bystander at a car crash

* Cabinet minister admits he has no idea how long he will be in office

* https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1545305951313485827
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171
    "Not a good look"
    Was Inverdale ('not a looker') commentating?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Good morning everyone.

And here’s the Mail;

What are you waffling about? Theresa May makes £2m a year from speeches. And she’s duller than @heathener

She does these speeches all over the world, and makes £120k PER SPEECH

If people are willing to pay £120k to hear the dronings of Theresa “fields of wheat” May how much will they pay Boris the Blonde Brexiteer with his 29 children?

I’m not even sure why we’re having this argument. It’s daft. For the next few years - barring asteroid strike - Boris will mint it
    She also does that while having to meet Parliamentary second earnings reporting standards.

Boris will probably take the Chiltern Hundreds. He won't have to be reporting his income in the same way once out of the Commons.
  • Options
    JameiJamei Posts: 50
    edited July 2022
    Party member here. I look forward to analysing what all the candidates have to say in due course, however my initial thoughts are turning to Sunak and Wallace, but both are somewhat politically inexperienced. Wallace is clearly an excellent defence minister, and by all accounts appears to have all the qualities a post-Johnson PM might need. However he has a defence background and is completely untested against anything else e.g. striking doctors or a financial crisis. I like Javid but think he might lack the necessary leadership qualities a PM needs. Not convinced by any of the others yet.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Good morning everyone.

And here’s the Mail;

What are you waffling about? Theresa May makes £2m a year from speeches. And she’s duller than @heathener

If people are willing to pay £120k to hear the dronings of Theresa “fields of wheat” May how much will they pay Boris the Blonde Brexiteer with his 29 children?

I’m not even sure why we’re having this argument. It’s daft. For the next few years - barring asteroid strike - Boris will mint it
    He will mint it and milk it in the short term, but now has nothing left to live for. He will spaff the money away on an expensive divorce or two, grow increasingly unkempt and seedy and then drink himself into a piteous state.

No one wants an ex PM. It is a British fact that there is no role.
  • Options

Boris will return to the land of his birth and make millions on American telly. He can also pick up a moosehead chair or two at a US university. That's the American jam on the British bread and butter of his Telegraph column (was £250,000 and he can probably double that) and the advance on his memoirs.

Once again, the issue is not whether BoZo can make millions, but that his current wife spends at a rate of billions
  • Options
    Labour will see this as win-win. If the Conservatives back Boris Johnson as caretaker, the public will read it as them closing ranks to guard a deeply divisive PM. If Boris Johnson is ousted, that is a symbolic victory for the opposition
    https://twitter.com/REWearmouth/status/1545306790170066944
    https://twitter.com/paulmasonnews/status/1545297415909085184
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,329

DavidL said:

I really don't see any need to hound Boris out of office now but I do hope that the 22 get on with it. Their elections are on Monday I think and once the new committee is in place presumably they can announce a time table right away.

At the moment there are a lot of fantasy candidates like Braverman. An early round with a minimum tariff to clear out the deluded would be helpful. MPs will be looking to do deals and, for me a joint Javid/Sunak ticket would be seriously attractive. Most of our more successful governments have had a close team at the top, whether Blair/Brown or Cameron/Osborne. A PM needs someone who can act as an enforcer and link to the party, as Maggie put it every PM needs a Willie. The lack of such a reliable and solid supporter in cabinet and office was a major factor in the undermining of Boris but he was always a lone wolf who focused on himself. .

As soon as the voting starts any remaining power in Boris will drain away. We face a period of paralysis but we can cope with that for a few weeks and it will be worth it if we get a clearer idea of our sense of direction at the end of it than we have had for the last 9 months.

"every PM needs a Willie" was Maggie gently pointing out that there was still a lot of misogyny in the Party at the time....
    It was unusually humerous for her but it is true that her fall came after she lost the day to day support of Whitelaw and his ilk and started to believe her own legend. I love the story that he had to stop Maggie from going and taking control of the Yorkshire Ripper investigation personally. Mind you, when you see the documentaries about how incredibly ineptly that was being run you can understand the frustration on her part.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Scott_xP said:

🔵 The Government will be left paralysed for months if Boris Johnson stays in Downing Street until his successor is chosen, senior Tories have warned.

🔓 This front page story is currently free to read 👇 https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/07/07/boris-johnsons-long-goodbye-leaves-uk-state-paralysis/?utm_content=politics&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1657260633-2

From that, John Major and Michael Gove both called for Boris to go sooner rather than later, and Andrew Marr said yesterday that he'd heard the same from 1922 types.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0UEOQqW1Uo

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
    So presumably the 1922 will announce over the weekend, or more likely Monday, the timeframe. Do MPs have to be sitting for the ballots? If they do then they've got c. 10 days to reach the final 2.

I've lost confidence that the 1922 can get their act together on anything but presumably 10 days is plenty of time to whittle it down to two candidates? They'll just have to hold ballots every day instead of every other day. Brisk business but perfectly possible.

Then it will be out to summer hustings for the run-off.
    Ten days would seem more than enough for MPs to vote, and tbh I can't see why party members would need two months. A day's hustings could be televised and members given two weeks to vote, allowing time for the post. Some will be on holiday, no doubt, but never mind. Anyway, let's see what the 22 dreams up on Monday.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Good morning everyone.

And here’s the Mail;

And she’s duller than @heathener

I know you will claim that as a joke but you, of course, won't see that it's the kind of vindictive personal comment that drags this place and the people who post here, down.

When you don't like someone else's point of view you always resort to ad hominem. You sneer at a person for some trait you think you have a right to expose.

I hope everyone else on here has a nice day xx
  • Options

On legacy, did not Mayor Boris announced the Garden Bridge project when it was clear he wasn't going to be in office very much longer?

And we still get to enjoy that legacy...
  • Options
    Foxy said:

The interesting comparison is Osborne. Never made it to PM but now minted and still accumulating jobs AFAIK
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Good morning everyone.

And here’s the Mail;

He will mint it and milk it in the short term, but now has nothing left to live for. He will spaff the money away on an expensive divorce or two, grow increasingly unkempt and seedy and then drink himself into a pigeons state.

He’ll go away, lick his wounds, earn some cash, get a few chat show/newspaper gigs and be remain the self centred, ambitious liar he always was. The interesting question is whether there is a comeback there like Trump. I wouldn’t put it past him or the Tory party to be led by Boris again.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Good morning everyone.

And here’s the Mail;

He will mint it and milk it in the short term, but now has nothing left to live for. He will spaff the money away on an expensive divorce or two, grow increasingly unkempt and seedy and then drink himself into a pigeons state.

There may be no role formally, but Major through to May all seem to have carved themselves a role, each different to the others. Which is just what Boris will do, he'll pick whatever role suits him.

Major - Snide 'elder statesman'.
    Blair - Money making machine with a political "institute" on the side.
    Brown - Lives in a crypt. Wheeled out at Halloween to speak about Scottish issues.
    May - Ted Heath.
  • Options

Heathener said:

IanB2 said:

Not a good look

A principled position and I hope that you get the leader you can believe in.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,144
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Good morning everyone.

And here’s the Mail;

I wonder if that is because Major is the only one who wasn't an egomaniac who burned themselves out on a pyre of their own vanity?

• Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

It was unusually humerous for her but it is true that her fall came after she lost the day to day support of Whitelaw and his ilk and started to believe her own legend. I love the story that he had to stop Maggie from going and taking control of the Yorkshire Ripper investigation personally. Mind you, when you see the documentaries about how incredibly ineptly that was being run you can understand the frustration on her part.
    In any leadership or top management post a 'candid friend' is essential!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298

Heathener said:

IanB2 said:

Not a good look

Lol. I can't remember who is the bright spark who was recommending a bet on a Tory poll lead incoming, just recently?
  • Options
    Le sujet du jour: what opportunities lie ahead for fresh disasters?
  • Options
    Jamei said:

Party member here. I look forward to analysing what all the candidates have to say in due course, however my initial thoughts are turning to Sunak and Wallace, but both are somewhat politically inexperienced. Wallace is clearly an excellent defence minister, and by all accounts appears to have all the qualities a post-Johnson PM might need. However he has a defence background and is completely untested against anything else e.g. striking doctors or a financial crisis. I like Javid but think he might lack the necessary leadership qualities a PM needs. Not convinced by any of the others yet.

Welcome! Please post more - we need more Tory member voices posting their thoughts on the candidates.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,907
    edited July 2022

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Gove tried that, and was reportedly fired on the spot for his trouble.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Heathener said:

IanB2 said:

Not a good look

Lol. I can't remember who is the bright spark who was recommending a bet on a Tory poll lead incoming, just recently?
    It's a bi-monthly thread header tradition.

It would be interesting to take a litmus test on here as to when people think it will next happen? Will a new leader get a sufficient bounce to achieve it? I'm not so sure. For all his manifest faults, Boris did hold sway among a certain type of red wall voter.
  • Options

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Good morning everyone.

And here’s the Mail;

She also does that while having to meet Parliamentary second earnings reporting standards.

Boris will probably take the Chiltern Hundreds. He won't have to be reporting his income in the same way once out of the Commons.
    And it will be fitting that his parting gift to his party does them as much harm as what went before...
  • Options
    Sean said it yesterday; there is no sense of closure yet. That's because the fat fck hasn't gone. He's still there. He still thinks he deserves to be there. he still thinks he was right, all along. he's still big, it's the party that got small...

Boris Johnson allies claim he will respect caretaker role

But others think it’s not in his DNA

‘I don’t think he intends to do a Theresa May and only be a caretaker.

‘He is not by make-up one of those people

‘And I still think there’s a part of him that hopes he can survive’

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1545308074105257986

Why is there this uneasy truce around Boris Johnson staying in office

Assessment for @annabotting @skynews @ 10 https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1545307937945653248/video/1
  • Options
    mwadams said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Good morning everyone.

And here’s the Mail;

I wonder if that is because Major is the only one who wasn't an egomaniac who burned themselves out on a pyre of their own vanity?

Major's comment on being ousted, about going to watch the cricket at the Oval was probably one of the most sensible things he said! And also suggested that he had a life outside politics.
  • Options

1. There is a UK. GB and NI are entirely legally the same, which is why Truss's bill can resolve the issues if it gets through Parliament, because that's a matter for domestic law not international trade.

2. You are making the mistake of a creationist zealot expecting a frog to birth a human if evolution is real. That's not how evolution works. Divergence has already begun and will take time, but we will evolve differently.
    If "GB" and "NI" are entirely legally the same, why do I need a license and customs paperwork to send stock to Ballymena? If they are the same, why the flap about the protocol?

They are not the same. As you well know.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,862
    There’s a marked difference between leaving Cameron and May in place as the Tories found another leader and leaving Johnson .

The former two were not removed because of character. Leaving a pathological liar in place for a few months could see yet more problems arise .
  • Options
    Fury over ‘lame duck’ PM & Zombie govt

Minister who quit: ‘They are all bonkers. I don’t understand what they’re doing.

‘He can’t run a piss-up in a brewery and hasn’t been able to run one for six months so how on earth is Kit Malthouse supposed to make No 10 functional?’

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1545308562964054018
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Heathener said:

IanB2 said:

Not a good look

Not I, is all I know!
  • Options

mwadams said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Good morning everyone.

And here’s the Mail;

Major's comment on being ousted, about going to watch the cricket at the Oval was probably one of the most sensible things he said! And also suggested that he had a life outside politics.
    Yeah it's great. Mrs May likes her cricket too.

Showing you're human is good.

John Major also famously went to B&Q in the 1992 campaign and it was seen as a masterstroke. Down with the people.

Nothing remotely wrong with going to watch the tennis or cricket or footy. Leave the tories to sort out their own mess and don't get too involved.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Sean said it yesterday; there is no sense of closure yet. That's because the fat fck hasn't gone. He's still there. He still thinks he deserves to be there. he still thinks he was right, all along. he's still big, it's the party that got small...

Boris Johnson allies claim he will respect caretaker role

But others think it’s not in his DNA

‘I don’t think he intends to do a Theresa May and only be a caretaker.

‘He is not by make-up one of those people

‘And I still think there’s a part of him that hopes he can survive’

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1545308074105257986

Why is there this uneasy truce around Boris Johnson staying in office

Assessment for @annabotting @skynews @ 10 https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1545307937945653248/video/1

Anyone who was subject to his period as London Mayor will know that his principal task will be spent looking around for big projects to start that he sees as his legacy, a broken kingdom littered with statues to its deposed king.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Good morning everyone.

And here’s the Mail;

Yes, I think that is the case. My old flatmate from uni worked with him at the Treasury. Major was one of the very few ministers that he liked, being genuinely humble and interested in other people's opinions.
  • Options
    .@JamesCleverly saying the key to @BorisJohnson going was ministers quitting...yet he personally didn't quit.
    @MishalHusain carefully extracting that he failed to take the public stand of saying the PM had lost his trust.

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1545308831273598977
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Gove tried that, and was reportly fired on the spot for his trouble.
    That one episode demonstrates the inability of Boris Johnson to 'lead'!
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,330
    Heathener said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Good morning everyone.

And here’s the Mail;

And she’s duller than @heathener

I know you will claim that as a joke but you, of course, won't see that it's the kind of vindictive personal comment that drags this place and the people who post here, down.

When you don't like someone else's point of view you always resort to ad hominem. You sneer at a person for some trait you think you have a right to expose.

I hope everyone else on here has a nice day xx
    You’ve done it again. You’ve started an argument with personal abuse, and then, when it is returned, you can’t cope and you cry foul

At 7am this morning - what is that about? - you screeched out a 29 paragraph rant about Boris not earning any money, including this gem:

“Leon got very personal with us all over this but, of course, the reason he's so irate is his own fear. Boris Johnson was a serial philanderer, a man approaching sixty whose attitude to sexual predation belonged to an era from which most of society has moved on. Boris Johnson got the top job for one reason and one reason only: to deliver Brexit. And that was on the back of the Remainer Parliament and an unelectable anti-Semitic Trotskyite Labour leader. As a person Boris was manifestly unsuited to the top job and the page on the chapter has already been turned. The flowers fade and the grass withers. It happens to all of us and some deserve it more than others.”

Clearly suggesting that I am - like Boris - some ageing and fearful sexual predator raging against the light, and, for added spite, you suggested that my approaching anonymity and decline is a deserved fate

All good fun. I don’t mind at all. Some of it might be true. But you really cannot spit out this kind of venom and then expect people to simply accept it, and not give as good in return. As I have said, you are ridiculous. You remain ridiculous. I bet your own little family thinks you are ridiculous
  • Options
    MPs are acutely aware of their responsibilities in choosing a shortlist.

“The grassroots are well to the right of the parliamentary party. We’ve got to make sure we don’t end up giving them a shortlist that could produce someone unsuitable to be PM.”

https://www.ft.com/content/87af8858-e427-47f9-b801-be7a50f65d6e
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,743
    edited July 2022

If "GB" and "NI" are entirely legally the same, why do I need a license and customs paperwork to send stock to Ballymena? If they are the same, why the flap about the protocol?

They are not the same. As you well know.
    You need to do so for the same reason the Danes, Dutch, French, Germans, Italians and Spanish all need to do so too for sending goods from one part of their country to another part of their country. Because special arrangements have been made for a local area, as has happened in all those nations too.

However as that is done via domestic law, it can be reversed via domestic law too. If we weren't a single country anymore, then it couldn't be.
  • Options

DavidL said:

I understand that is a joke, of course, but Mrs Thatcher appointed only one woman, Baroness Young, to her Cabinets.
  • Options
    A big question: Can Boris still command a Commons majority?

That’s the test for whether a government is functioning

Labour has vowed to test that with a new confidence vote.

Would enough Tory rebels vote for it? Nuclear move. If not, use it to urge the PM to go early?

https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1545309704443813888
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,311
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Good morning everyone.

And here’s the Mail;

He will mint it and milk it in the short term, but now has nothing left to live for. He will spaff the money away on an expensive divorce or two, grow increasingly unkempt and seedy and then drink himself into a piteous state.

This is why he will likely spend a lot of time in the US. They will love his act there. Blair has also spent a lot of time making money in countries other than Britain while being toxic in the UK. It doesn't matter that they have no British role when there's the world to monetize.

I wonder whether the next PM will make Johnson their Special Envoy to Ukraine. It would actually be slightly less ridiculous than Blair's appointment as a Middle East Peace Envoy.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Gove tried that, and was reportly fired on the spot for his trouble.
    That one episode demonstrates the inability of Boris Johnson to 'lead'!
    It revealed that for him, everything is personal and he harbours grievances for a long, long time...
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Minister who quit: ‘They are all bonkers. I don’t understand what they’re doing.

‘He can’t run a piss-up in a brewery and hasn’t been able to run one for six months so how on earth is Kit Malthouse supposed to make No 10 functional?’

Its not supposed to be functional, its supposed to be a caretaker.

You're really not getting this, are you?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

“The grassroots are well to the right of the parliamentary party. We’ve got to make sure we don’t end up giving them a shortlist that could produce someone unsuitable to be PM.”

De haut en bas.

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,266
    Heathener said:

mwadams said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Good morning everyone.

And here’s the Mail;

Yeah it's great. Mrs May likes her cricket too.

Showing you're human is good.

John Major also famously went to B&Q in the 1992 campaign and it was seen as a masterstroke. Down with the people.

Nothing remotely wrong with going to watch the tennis or cricket or footy. Leave the tories to sort out their own mess and don't get too involved.
    I don't think you can accuse Brown of locking himself away. He has toured the world as UN advisor for eduction or something similar.

• Options

IanB2 said:

Heathener said:

IanB2 said:

Not a good look

Not I, is all I know!
    Strangely a pollster on the radio suggested this morning that a new PM and cabinet could get a poll boost, but as far as I am concerned with 2 years or more to the next GE the conservative party needs to move on from Johnson, including sidelining his fanatics and govern with decency and integrity
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

The nuttier of the two fruitcakes will win the membership vote, nailed on.

I am increasingly thinking that Wallace won't stand, Truss will crash and burn, Javid will back Sunak, and Sunak will lose in the membership vote to an alien lizard.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,647
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Good morning everyone.

And here’s the Mail;

I've hired a lot of speakers for events I have organised (For the last 20 years of my working life my business organised pressure groups for large organisations). I have never got the fees ex-pms can earn, but it is clearly a fact. It has been suggested to me that it down to 'contacts' they can introduce at the sessions, but I have never had a customer request one of these speakers and my customers were often very major companies, charities, unions, NGOs, etc. Not once did they want a political speaker. Clearly there is demand though.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,827
    Scott_xP said:

LOL! Trouble is leadership elections can take on a life of their own and develop in many unexpected ways. Be careful what you wish for Tory MPs ;)
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,992

Scott_xP said:

There are major decisions that need to be made before September - that is too long for a caretaker government without decision making powers.

I suspect we will see a vote of no confidence, a lot of Tory MPs having dental work and a very quick leadership election without a members vote.
  • Options
    Labour may yet bottle the confidence vote, but the banter heuristic suggests they hold it, every single Tory MP votes they have confidence in a government led by BoZo and he says "See, I told ya so..."

And the nightmare continues.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,266
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Good morning everyone.

And here’s the Mail;

And it will be fitting that his parting gift to his party does them as much harm as what went before...
    Hodges was tweeting yesterday about the "interesting" by-election coming this autumn in Uxbridge.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Dr. Foxy, I hope you're right about Truss.

While she'd be a green result for me, I'd much rather have someone else.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,329

Scott_xP said:

Let's face it @Scott_xP won't be happy until Boris is marched through the streets naked with nutters shouting "Shame, shame" behind him and the rotten fruit flying. It's a Brexit thing.
  • Options
    Boris yearned to be the new Churchill but lasted as long - 1078 days - as Chamberlain. Fitting really given that his claim of an ‘oven-ready’ Brexit deal was about as accurate as Chamberlain’s ‘peace for our time’ bit of paper.
    https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/1545310062448615425
  • Options
    Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Good morning everyone.

And here’s the Mail;

I suspect everyone agrees with this analysis in the short term.

Is Mr Borkowski focusing on potential or has he considered Johnson's propensity to break things? It suspect just the former.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721
    The Lincoln Project compares Boris to Trump
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyXiOyzwCoM
  • Options
    Hearing that, in a gesture typical of her, Andrea Jenkyns has thrown her ring into the hat.
    https://twitter.com/donaeldunready/status/1545311094528528384
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Heathener said:

IanB2 said:

Not a good look

Not I, is all I know!
    Strangely a pollster on the radio suggested this morning that a new PM and cabinet could get a poll boost, but as far as I am concerned with 2 years or more to the next GE the conservative party needs to move on from Johnson, including sidelining his fanatics and govern with decency and integrity
    We should open a book on how long it takes for you to resign from the Tories again. Par is about a year.

( if you detect some annoyance, it was because I had enjoyed you becoming less partisan. Snapping back to a true blue anti Labour person is a little sad. You seem tribally Tories, it in terms of values not so much.. you’ll never be Labour, but you’d be a happier LibDem I think)
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

Let's face it @Scott_xP won't be happy until Boris is marched through the streets naked with nutters shouting "Shame, shame" behind him and the rotten fruit flying. It's a Brexit thing.
    Yes, that would work for me too!
  • Options

The Lincoln Project compares Boris to Trump
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyXiOyzwCoM

So a comeback is on the cards.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

And we still get to enjoy that legacy...
    TBF, maintenance cost is zero.

Shame about the public spending, and therefore the interest on the debt, however.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,820

Scott_xP said:

🔵 The Government will be left paralysed for months if Boris Johnson stays in Downing Street until his successor is chosen, senior Tories have warned.

🔓 This front page story is currently free to read 👇 https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/07/07/boris-johnsons-long-goodbye-leaves-uk-state-paralysis/?utm_content=politics&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1657260633-2

From that, John Major and Michael Gove both called for Boris to go sooner rather than later, and Andrew Marr said yesterday that he'd heard the same from 1922 types.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0UEOQqW1Uo

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
    Its in the hands of MPs. He's proven he cannot be trusted to handle the end with dignity (yes he fought to save his job, but after the legions of quitting on Weds he needed to accept it was over) and they need to not give him any option.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

IanB2 said:

Heathener said:

IanB2 said:

Not a good look

Not I, is all I know!
    We should open a book on how long it takes for you to resign from the Tories again. Par is about a year.

( if you detect some annoyance, it was because I had enjoyed you becoming less partisan. Snapping back to a true blue anti Labour person is a little sad. You seem tribally Tories, it in terms of values not so much.. you’ll never be Labour, but you’d be a happier LibDem I think)
    Oh, I think we all knew that for all his huffing, Big G was always going to put his cross in the box maked Conservative next election.
  • Options
    eek said:

Scott_xP said:

There are major decisions that need to be made before September - that is too long for a caretaker government without decision making powers.

I suspect we will see a vote of no confidence, a lot of Tory MPs having dental work and a very quick leadership election without a members vote.
    What major decisions need to be made before September?

Parliament will be in recess within a fortnight, no major decisions are ever typically made during the silly season of August anyway.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Roger said:

Next Con leader
    (prices in brackets = 2 days ago)

Wallace 4.3 (9) ⬆️
    Sunak 6.4 (7.5) ⬆️
    Mordaunt 7.6 (5)
    Tugendhat 9 (15) ⬆️
    Truss 12.5 (9.6)
    Javid 14 (10.5)
    Zahawi 15 (12)
    Hunt 17 (13.5)
    Baker 30 (?) ⬆️
    Braverman 55 (44)

Raab 85 (40)

Gove 151 (23)

Eustice 500 (21)

If that's the sad field it's got to be Rishi. When you take oput the clowns you're left with Tugendhat Wallace and Sunak. Tugendhat and Wallace are inferior versions of Starmer which leaves Sunak. He'd be the one for Labour to fear
    I disagree. Wallace is a very different type of politician from Starmer. He’s more guts and less cerebral. Cerebral politicians rarely do well in the long run.

If I was a Tory, especially a Scottish Tory, I’d go for Wallace.
    But the Tory party being what it is, we can be fairly confident they’re going to make the wrong choice. Again.

(Is Wallace even running??)
    The only reason Wallace and Tugendhat make my final three is that I haven't heard either of them speak. All the rest except for Hunt and Sunak have soiled themselves. Braverman wouldn't get a job as an article clerk with Lawyers4U and Truss seems to have modelled herself on George Galloway. The unsuitability of the others is obvious.
This discussion has been closed.