Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Public support for the rail strike is increasing – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Simon_PeachSimon_Peach Posts: 409
    JohnO said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

New Holyrood constituency VI

SNP 46% (nc)
    SLab 25% (nc)
    SCon 18% (nc)
    SLD 8% (+1)
    oth 4% (nc)

Savanta ComRes; 1,029; 23-28 June

Would you take part in a referendum held without a Section 30 order?

Would 67%
    Would not 17%

Whoops!! Douglas Ross needs a wee rethink.

If a third of Scots don't vote in a Scottish indyref2 after the UK government tells them to boycott it that would be well down on 2014.

53% of Scots oppose an indyref2 too and of course the UK government would correctly ignore the result and refuse to make any change whatsoever to the Union after it

https://twitter.com/electpoliticsuk/status/1542289245498490884?s=20&t=dLQC0ZHFvu84Y9DUgiRR9A
    Where did the 1/3 come from? And below what percentage of the total electorate voting does it take for a result to be invalid?
    The fact only 67% say they would vote even before the UK government tells Scots to boycott it (and No is still on 51%). This government would of course refuse to grant a s30 so the result would be invalid whatever the turnout.

However there is also now a strong chance Boris will call a UK general election either in the autumn or next Spring on a ticket of stopping a weakening of Brexit and indyref2 with a coalition of chaos of Labour, the LDs and SNP ie before October 2023

Good morning

The idea Boris is about to cut and run taking the conservative party to oblivion in one of the most ridiculous acts of self immolution is weird beyond belief, let alone him being actually able to do it without the support of his party

The likelihood is he will call a general election on a platform of stopping a coalition of chaos of Labour, the LDs and SNP and a weakening of Brexit and indyref2 and will do so before the end of autumn 2023

As the FTPA has been repealed and calling a general election is now back as the prerogative of the PM not a thing Tory MPs could do about it
    You really are now at Trump levels of democracy and if you think his colleagues could not stop him then you are in a fantasy world
    Is there a mechanism where they can stop him?
    1922 Committee
    Not if he has already announced a general election having already just met and agreed it privately with the Queen
    What if the speaker refuses to read out the prorogation announcement?
    Why would he?

Keir Starmer wouldn't be able to believe his own luck if Boris was stupid enough to call an election at the minute. He'd be utterly up for the election and would be in front of the cameras as fast as he could be to say that he is looking forward to the election and that the country deserves a change of government. The media would be instantly in election mode.

The Tories would be hammered, and deservedly so. Forget a hung Parliament, a Labour majority would be my most likely expectation if Boris was so stupid as to do that now.

Which is why it is simply never going to happen. Its even less likely than Brown calling an election in 2007. Only a fantasist would be suggesting it.
    Fair point… I was more considering the earlier question as to whether a mechanism exists to prevent a PM from calling a GE against the will of Parliament… not the specifics of Boris and the here and now.
    Not really, no, we're back in the Royal Prerogative situation that existed pre-FTPA. That's already the law again.

So the Lascelles Principles would apply I assume, but they're extremely tightly restricted.

It worth noting that the second of the original Lascelles requirements was apparently dropped by 1994, so the revised Lascelles Principles would be

(1) the existing Parliament was still vital, viable, and capable of doing its job; (2) a General Election would be detrimental to the national economy; (3) he could rely on finding another Prime Minister who could carry on his Government, for a reasonable period, with a working majority in the House of Commons.
    So the Speaker declares that prorogation will be delayed for a week to allow 1) and 3) to be put to the test?
    The Speaker (or the Commons for that matter) plays no role in prorogation. That develoves to the Lords Commissioners (they with the syncronised doffing) representing the Crown. Actual dissolution follows almost immediately thereafter.

In the manifestly absurd scenario posited by HYFUD, the Queen only announces the date of dissolution; it doesn't take effect at once. So should two thirds of the Cabinet (whatever) denounce the rogue act and Tory MPs vote No Confidence, Her Majesty can simply change her mind and a new government formed.

But, really!
    Thank you for the clarification.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762
    This is... concerning.
    Russia to falsely accuse Ukraine of storing weapons at occupied Zaporizhzhia NPP - Energoatom

NPP workers were tortured to "confess" that in March they dropped explosives weapons in cooling pools; 🇷🇺 wants to drain them, which is a nuclear safety hazard

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1542418369328078850
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    I am presuming my lottery numbers for COVID will come up at some point shortly. What is this now wave 5 or 6? I can't keep dodging it.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I think if everyone acted in the way St Bart advocated, covid prevalence would be permanently around 30% of the population or so. Perhaps higher. We'd all get more cases than Keir Starmer.

As opposed to the 10-14% prevalence it is now?

Oh well, if that happened, then our immune system would be very primed for the virus whenever we got it, wouldn't it? What exactly would be wrong with that?

We'd have more cases, but those cases would evolve to being the common cold not just as endemic as it.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    edited June 2022

On a personal note I am starting to struggle with depression again because the cost of living is making it impossible to afford to go out and do things other than work. I’m feeling very isolated.

If it's any help, I've found that almost any physical activity (in fact, almost any activity at all) helps to slap depression in the face.

I don't know if it's the same for everyone, but I made a personal breakthrough when I realised that the core of depression was the drive to inertia (i.e: Don't do anything, there's no point to doing anything, just be inert). And that, with the way that things can mentally self-reinforce, it's often being inert that generates more of the depressive drive to further inertia. As well as frustration and stress of course - which generate adrenaline that can't be burned off, because physical action doesn't help address the root causes of that frustration and stress.

Doing almost anything can break that rut and self-reinforce away from it. And can start to burn off the various hormones around it, further self-reinforcing.

As I say, it might just be me, but in my experience, doing something, preferably physical, can really help. And don't hesitate to reach out to others - that depression is also purely internally focused (so external people can damage the core of the depression).
    Golf. Gets you out in great locations too. Ditto fly fishing.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,668
    Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

I’m now sure I have covid. Suddenly got a headache and feeling tired. Thanks everyone

That's just the side effects of reading some HYUFD posts on Scottish Independence.
    The weird thing is, in his relentless mule-headed way, @HYUFD is largely right about Sindyref. No UK Tory government will allow it, they will use the generation argument until it is exhausted (after a generation)

I doubt even a Labour govt would do it, tho they might be willing to compromise more

However @HYUFD’s talents for persuasion somewhat let him down when he expresses this
    Nobody is here to persaude anybody about anything. Or if they are, they are wasting their fucking time. Come for the pedantry, stay for the piss taking. That's about it.
    Oh I don't know. I have strong views on lots of things, but I have been known to change those views and there is a hell of a lot of stuff I have no view on. As it happens Scottish Independence is one I don't have a strong view on.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited June 2022
    Bitcoin just smashed down 1200 dollars. I thought they'd be able to maintain. the $20,000 false "floor" for another few weeks yet. Popcorn time.
  • Options

I am presuming my lottery numbers for COVID will come up at some point shortly. What is this now wave 5 or 6? I can't keep dodging it.

Alternatively unless you've been testing daily religiously for years you haven't dodged it, but your infection when you had it was so mild you didn't realise you had it. Which is fairly frequent.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,388
    edited June 2022
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

A colleague of son came to work yesterday coughing. Denied that he had Covid. Then son heard from manager that colleague did indeed have Covid. Son now worried that he may have caught it and will pass it on to me.

I realise that we have to live with it. But I do think that if you have an infectious disease going to to work and passing it onto colleagues and customers etc is a bit off, no?

Respectfully, no, I wholeheartedly disagree.

There is no legal, or in my view ethical, reason not to go to work with any virus. If all it is, is a cough, then people have forever gone to work with coughs.

We need to start treating Covid like we do the common cold, which its almost as prevalent as. If your son's colleague had the common cold would you object to him being at work with a cough?
    Well, judging from what Daughter and Husband are telling me it is nothing like the common cold but much worse.

If someone had a tubercular cough, we wouldn't want them at work, would we?

What Son was cross about was being lied to by his colleague. Plus being put at risk himself and putting me at risk.

Plus this - https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/self-isolation-and-treatment/when-to-self-isolate-and-what-to-do/ - is the NHS advice which suggests that staying at home is the right thing to do. In a customer facing business you really don't want staff coughing all over customers.
    I agree that its off to be lied to, that is wrong, unquestionably.

I do not agree that it is wrong to be at work when you have Covid though - and advice is just advice, not a requirement.

If people are too sick to work they shouldn't be working whether that's a common cold or covid, but if they're not too sick to work and its just an intermittent cough and they wash their hands etc after coughing then that's not a problem in my eyes - but you should be honest about it.
    I see where you are coming from. For me though it means that I will likely have to restrict my activities in some way for good because I simply cannot afford to expose myself to infection. Fair enough: the world should not revolve around the vulnerable to the detriment of others.

But I do feel that people ought to think a bit harder about whether it makes sense to come into work when they are sick. The whole "I'm a hero by struggling in and spreading disease around the place" culture is very bad manners, quite unnecessary and potentially very harmful. A bit of consideration for others would not go amiss.
    This sort of argument is why the government should be putting a lot more effort into improving ventilation and use of HEPA filters. It completely sidesteps the issues around mask-wearing and self-isolation, but protects everyone from all airborne infectious diseases.

There should be a plan to have these installed in every public and commercial premises in the country. It a should become a default part of building regulations in the same way as fire doors and exits.

The best thing most people have done to stop Covid is taking the vaccine, and that's something they've only had to do a few times, once for each dose. Interventions that don't rely on people continually making the responsible decision, but work automatically, are much more effective.

Much easier for the government to escape responsibility if we're arguing with each other about staying at home when ill.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Bitcoin just smashed down 1500 dollars. I thought they'd be able to maintain. the $20,000 false "floor" for another few weeks yet. Popcorn time.

Amusing typo one presumes, but I wonder how long until it does indeed smash below 1500?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

A colleague of son came to work yesterday coughing. Denied that he had Covid. Then son heard from manager that colleague did indeed have Covid. Son now worried that he may have caught it and will pass it on to me.

I realise that we have to live with it. But I do think that if you have an infectious disease going to to work and passing it onto colleagues and customers etc is a bit off, no?

There is no legal, or in my view ethical, reason not to go to work with any virus. If all it is, is a cough, then people have forever gone to work with coughs.

We need to start treating Covid like we do the common cold, which its almost as prevalent as. If your son's colleague had the common cold would you object to him being at work with a cough?
    Well, judging from what Daughter and Husband are telling me it is nothing like the common cold but much worse.

What Son was cross about was being lied to by his colleague. Plus being put at risk himself and putting me at risk.

Plus this - https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/self-isolation-and-treatment/when-to-self-isolate-and-what-to-do/ - is the NHS advice which suggests that staying at home is the right thing to do. In a customer facing business you really don't want staff coughing all over customers.

I do not agree that it is wrong to be at work when you have Covid though - and advice is just advice, not a requirement.

If people are too sick to work they shouldn't be working whether that's a common cold or covid, but if they're not too sick to work and its just an intermittent cough and they wash their hands etc after coughing then that's not a problem in my eyes - but you should be honest about it.
    I see where you are coming from. For me though it means that I will likely have to restrict my activities in some way for good because I simply cannot afford to expose myself to infection. Fair enough: the world should not revolve around the vulnerable to the detriment of others.

But I do feel that people ought to think a bit harder about whether it makes sense to come into work when they are sick. The whole "I'm a hero by struggling in and spreading disease around the place" culture is very bad manners, quite unnecessary and potentially very harmful. A bit of consideration for others would not go amiss.
    Sure. If they are sick. We were originally talking about people who are not ill but happen to test positive.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Alistair said:

On the subject of abortion I went and had a look at various states provisions for "abortion is illegal except to save the life of the mother".

At best you can say they are very badly written, at worst you could say... well.

The majority of exceptions are only as an affirmative defence. That is, after performing the abortion to save the life of the mother the doctor can still be sued/prosecuted (depending on whether the law is one of the Texas style bounty laws or full on criminalisation) and then the doctor has to go to court and convince the judge/jury that the mother's life was sufficiently at immediate risk to win the defence.

While some states like Alabama explicitly exclude ectopic pregnancies from what is considered abortion other states do not.

Thread here describing how it actually works (or doesn't) in Missouri.
    (TLDR, it significantly increases the threat to life from life threatening conditions.)
    https://twitter.com/L_LarsonBunnell/status/1541618759273779201
    For those of you who don’t know me well, I am a healthcare regulatory attorney and work in a hospital. I work in a state that has banned abortions at my hospital except those necessary to “save the life of the woman.” Let me explain how this works in practice.…
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    Fishing said:

Foxy said:

malcolmg said:

Andy_JS said:

One of the best things that could happen for Labour before the next election would be if there is indeed another Scottish independence referendum and the no side wins again, because that would mean that in the event of a hung parliament the SNP wouldn't be able to use the idea of another referendum as a bargaining chip in order to support a progressive alliance.

Dream on
    They think they’ve got it in the bag.

Big mistake.
    It is on a knife edge and could go either way. As an Englishman (albeit with heritage from all 4 countries of the UK) I think it up to Scots and as far as I am concerned the number and timing of independence referendums should be up to the Scottish Parliament, and no one else.

I would be sorry to see Scotland go, partly for sentimental reasons, partly the pragmatic one in that it aids Tory hegemony south of the border. If I were resident in Scotland though, I would vote for independence. Being electorally ignored and marginalised can only go on so long.
    I doubt they'd leave. Like the Northern Irish, they like English money too much.

And the SNP has no answers to most of the serious questions: currency, the English border, etc.
    You absolute arsehole. GIRUY. You are obviously a thick jingoistic English nationalist with a warped view of the world. I would not even deem to reply to your pathetic sick opinion. Is it any wonder we want independence when cretins like you walk the streets of England.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,009

Alistair said:

Bitcoin just smashed down 1500 dollars. I thought they'd be able to maintain. the $20,000 false "floor" for another few weeks yet. Popcorn time.

Amusing typo one presumes, but I wonder how long until it does indeed smash below 1500?
    Not the lowest even this month. It's bumping round at $19,000 but hit $18,950 a couple of weeks back.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I think if everyone acted in the way St Bart advocated, covid prevalence would be permanently around 30% of the population or so. Perhaps higher. We'd all get more cases than Keir Starmer.

Oh well, if that happened, then our immune system would be very primed for the virus whenever we got it, wouldn't it? What exactly would be wrong with that?

We'd have more cases, but those cases would evolve to being the common cold not just as endemic as it.
    We had Alpha and Delta that were both evolutions that were more infections and more virulent. Omicron is the first variant that decreased virulence while increasing infectivity.

It is entirely a matter of faith that it would become more like the common cold with mass infection.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

Alternatively unless you've been testing daily religiously for years you haven't dodged it, but your infection when you had it was so mild you didn't realise you had it. Which is fairly frequent.
    Probably. If I had to guess I did get it in the first wave, I had a weird hay fever type symptoms and felt absolutely knackered for 2-3 weeks, when I have never suffered hay fever in my life, but put it down to over working.
  • Options

I wondered about that, but neither myself or my wife have been ill so how likely is it we both failed to have symptoms (and if at all genetic we failed to pass that onto our 2 children). It seems more probable that we haven't had it (and therefore lead very dull lives).
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

We had Alpha and Delta that were both evolutions that were more infections and more virulent. Omicron is the first variant that decreased virulence while increasing infectivity.

It is entirely a matter of faith that it would become more like the common cold with mass infection.
    I don't think mass infection will reduce virulence because of its evolution, I think mass infection will reduce virulence because our immune systems will be well-primed rather than naive to the virus when its encountered.

Its endemic, we need to live with it. Its not going to stop being endemic.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

Westminster Voting Intention (Scotland):

SNP: 45% (=)
    LAB: 25% (+6)
    CON: 18% (-7)
    LDM: 8% (-2)

Via @SavantaComRes, 23-28 Jun.
    Changes w/ GE2019.

Unionists shuffling the deckchairs on the Titanic. Which "rope a dope" is in second place this time
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,478
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Part of the problem, putting the Covid absolutists to one side, is knowing precisely what we should and should not do. Government and NHS guidance is not especially clear on when it is safe to mix, including for people like your son who "might" have it and is in contact with a vulnerable person.

Ah, I see the Independent has just published this (not sure what prompted it; does the editor lurk here?):
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/new-covid-isolation-rules-uk-b2112674.html
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

On the subject of abortion I went and had a look at various states provisions for "abortion is illegal except to save the life of the mother".

At best you can say they are very badly written, at worst you could say... well.

The majority of exceptions are only as an affirmative defence. That is, after performing the abortion to save the life of the mother the doctor can still be sued/prosecuted (depending on whether the law is one of the Texas style bounty laws or full on criminalisation) and then the doctor has to go to court and convince the judge/jury that the mother's life was sufficiently at immediate risk to win the defence.

While some states like Alabama explicitly exclude ectopic pregnancies from what is considered abortion other states do not.

(TLDR, it significantly increases the threat to life from life threatening conditions.)
    For those of you who don’t know me well, I am a healthcare regulatory attorney and work in a hospital. I work in a state that has banned abortions at my hospital except those necessary to “save the life of the woman.” Let me explain how this works in practice.…
    Missouri! I was looking for a practical example of what some hospitals had decided but was searching for Mississippi!

I see a pregnant Ohio cancer patient is having to travel to Indiana to get an abortion before they can start chemotherapy back in Ohio.
  • Options
    kjh said:

I wondered about that, but neither myself or my wife have been ill so how likely is it we both failed to have symptoms (and if at all genetic we failed to pass that onto our 2 children). It seems more probable that we haven't had it (and therefore lead very dull lives).
    Very, very possible.

Covid != ill.
  • Options
    kjh said:

I have a teacher friend who never stopped in person teaching at any point and obviously because of their job regularly tested through out the pandemic...nothing, nadda, not even a faint line....and their own kids have had twice.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Infection is part and parcel of life unfortunately, viruses are endemic and never going away. So its up to you and anyone else to decide how you want to live with that, and I respect whatever choices you make.

However I think we need to get over this notion of thinking that anyone who has Covid is "sick". Simply having a virus doesn't mean you are sick. If all you have is a cough, and a virus that is endemic in the community anyway, then I don't respectfully don't really consider that to be particularly "sick".
    I think the issue is that there is such a range. Some people have it without any symptoms or ill effects. Others are bedridden. Those in my family who have had it have been at the serious end and quite unable to work.

I think if you are infectious, depending on what you do, you should consider the potential effect on those around you and not simply about the effect on you.

Basic hygiene, use of hankies, a bit of social distancing if necessary, consideration for others: none of these are too much to ask.

As for me, I am happiest in my garden and if I never had to go on the London tube during rush hour again it would not be a moment too soon so I'll be ok.

Plus I have the Montenegrin love nest to look forward to ...... 😉
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236
    Sticking elements of your blue water navy up a restrictive dead end is an interesting new move in global strategy.

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Which applies particularly to hospital settings.
    I loose where he's coming from, but it's frankly bizarre that Barty thinks healthcare workers should just ignore an infection which presents a genuine danger to a significant proportion of patients.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,965
    Where's the floor on Wrong DeSantis POTUS price. 4.3 ?! - seriously, seriously crazy for someone who isn't even leading the polling more than two years out within their own party. On the US version of betfair (Predictit) he's at an even more comical 2-1.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,807

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

This sort of argument is why the government should be putting a lot more effort into improving ventilation and use of HEPA filters. It completely sidesteps the issues around mask-wearing and self-isolation, but protects everyone from all airborne infectious diseases.

There should be a plan to have these installed in every public and commercial premises in the country. It a should become a default part of building regulations in the same way as fire doors and exits.

The best thing most people have done to stop Covid is taking the vaccine, and that's something they've only had to do a few times, once for each dose. Interventions that don't rely on people continually making the responsible decision, but work automatically, are much more effective.

Much easier for the government to escape responsibility if we're arguing with each other about staying at home when ill.
    If the govt don't do this perhaps time for CBI and TUC to work together and create an accreditation scheme for office based companies compromising:

Good ventilation and HEPA filters
    Regular pay when off sick
    Expectation employees wfh when infectious

I think this would benefit both employees and companies.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Westminster Voting Intention (Scotland):

SNP: 45% (=)
    LAB: 25% (+6)
    CON: 18% (-7)
    LDM: 8% (-2)

Via @SavantaComRes, 23-28 Jun.
    Changes w/ GE2019.

Unionists shuffling the deckchairs on the Titanic. Which "rope a dope" is in second place this time
    To use HYUFD arithmetic, Unionist support down 3%.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,970
    Pulpstar said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:

One other thing. If a Prime Minister with a majority of almost 80 bowled up to the palace only half-way through their term, with a parliamentary standards committee hot on their heels, and asked for an election I think the Queen might have something to say about it.
    https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1542416142341488640

It's none of the old cow's business is it? She doesn't get to interfere in the political process of the country.
    Correct. The Queen acts on the advice of her first minister.
    Actually the Queen acts on the advice of her Privy Council. The question is what happens when the advice of the Privy Council is in conflict with that from the PM.
  • Options

kjh said:

Very, very possible.

Covid != ill.

Seems unlikely we could have both had it and both of us had no symptoms at all, yet when both our children got it (elsewhere) they had symptoms.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818

Pulpstar said:

It's not 10-14% prevalence.
    That's the positivity rate.
    As of the 18th of June, prevalence in England was about 2.75%.
    At the rate of increase we've seen in hospital admissions, it would probably have been about 3.8% as of the 25th (which we'll find out tomorrow) and around 5% today.

In Scotland, it's higher; probably about 7% as of the 25th.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,094

People who are insisting on keeping these ridiculous zero covid protocols like testing or isolation of healthy but virus carrying people always love to harp on in the end about Typhoid Mary. Of course Typhoid Mary was carrying a relatively rare disease and was a pretty unique individual in the way she was able to spread it as she was doing.

Covid isn't a rare disease, its widespread in the community and preventing contagion isn't possible, so shouldn't be attempted. Healthy people with the virus should live normally, as contagion is happening either way.

If 14% of people are carrying a virus, and you're working in a building with hundreds or thousands of people in it, then any healthy colleagues not going into work is pissing in the ocean.

I know you like to be an agent provocateur, but there is a certain truth to what you say. I cannot fathom why, after all this time, we are still – still! – getting posts on PB like "when will this ever end?".

It's like asking when influenza or the common cold will "ever end" – er, it won't. It's an endemic virus, with us forever.

We should no more celebrate when cases are falling than clutch our pearls when cases rise. Yet there seems to be still be a lot of pearl clutching, at least on PB (I encounter it much less frequently, although still occasionally, in real life).

If and when we get covid, just as if and when we get flu, go to bed, rest up, hope for some tea and sympathy from family and friends. I struggle to see what else can really be said about it.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Where's the floor on Wrong DeSantis POTUS price. 4.3 ?! - seriously, seriously crazy for someone who isn't even leading the polling more than two years out within their own party. On the US version of betfair (Predictit) he's at an even more comical 2-1.

Predictit is a source of perpetually political betting comedy.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,775
    edited June 2022
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Infection is part and parcel of life unfortunately, viruses are endemic and never going away. So its up to you and anyone else to decide how you want to live with that, and I respect whatever choices you make.

However I think we need to get over this notion of thinking that anyone who has Covid is "sick". Simply having a virus doesn't mean you are sick. If all you have is a cough, and a virus that is endemic in the community anyway, then I don't respectfully don't really consider that to be particularly "sick".
    I think the issue is that there is such a range. Some people have it without any symptoms or ill effects. Others are bedridden. Those in my family who have had it have been at the serious end and quite unable to work.

I think if you are infectious, depending on what you do, you should consider the potential effect on those around you and not simply about the effect on you.

Basic hygiene, use of hankies, a bit of social distancing if necessary, consideration for others: none of these are too much to ask.

As for me, I am happiest in my garden and if I never had to go on the London tube during rush hour again it would not be a moment too soon so I'll be ok.

I agree with all that, but I don't consider not going into work when you're pretty much healthy but have a line on a test and a mild cough to be basic hygiene. I would consider washing your hands when you cough or sneeze, use of tissues etc to be basic hygiene like you said. 👍

I think part of what makes people talk past each other sometimes on this subject is people have very differing views on whether simply having Covid by itself means you're "sick" or not. You see it where people say the have tested positive but have no symptoms and people reply "get well soon" - that response may be intended to be polite, but if someone is positive but healthy then they already are well. Hopefully they stay well, but simply carrying a virus doesn't mean you're sick in my eyes.

Your garden does sound good though. 👍
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,250
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

BA5 seems to be a bit nastier than earlier omicron variants. I hope they both get through soon.

As ever on covid we have extreme views on either side. It is clearly more dangerous than 'just a cold'. However it is also less dangerous than flu (certainly among our vaccinated public). The difference is the sheer number of people who are infected at the moment. We would not expect to see on in 40 people in the country with flu at any one time.

There is balance to be struck. I think healthcare going back to masks for all for the next period of time is sensible, and not really a hardship for the public (more so for the medics). I think serious thought needs to be had about boosters. I know there is an autumn campaign coming for those who normally get the flu shot, but I wonder that it ought to be widened? I'm not sure either way. Most in the country will have had a bought of omicron (various flavours) so that in itself will provide some assistance, even if its not the greatest at provoking antibodies to fight future infection.

I have a suspicion that those who oppose the return of masks in clinical settings and complain about testing are secretly worried about new lockdown style restrictions. I simply don't think that is on the cards. Can't afford it as a country for one reason.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

This is Jeb Bush all over again. I know I do bang on about it but that Jeb Bush @10 price spooked me so much in 2016 I couldn't get over it.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

If the govt don't do this perhaps time for CBI and TUC to work together and create an accreditation scheme for office based companies compromising:

Insist on all meetings being outdoors with no sitting. That would eliminate many and shorten the rest considerably. Win-win: most meetings are a complete waste of time, a practical alternative to work.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,807
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

This is Jeb Bush all over again. I know I do bang on about it but that Jeb Bush @10 price spooked me so much in 2016 I couldn't get over it.
    Isnt the Mike Pence price a better comparison with Jeb Bush 2016?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

I agree with all that, but I don't consider not going into work when you're pretty much healthy but have a line on a test and a mild cough to be basic hygiene. I would consider washing your hands when you cough or sneeze, use of tissues etc to be basic hygiene like you said. 👍

I think part of what makes people talk past each other sometimes on this subject is people have very differing views on whether simply having Covid by itself means you're "sick" or not. You see it where people say the have tested positive but have no symptoms and people reply "get well soon" - that response may be intended to be polite, but if someone is positive but healthy then they already are well. Hopefully they stay well, but simply carrying a virus doesn't mean you're sick in my eyes.

Isn't the bigger problem here that most people won't have a line on a test? Since the Government stupidly decided to end free tests, how many people are actually spending money to go out and buy the things?

For all that I agree with you that this is endemic and should be treated like Flu (and I would stay at home if I had flu), we have hobbled ourselves badly by removing the ability to identify when someone has Covid as a matter of course.
  • Options
    Former SNP MP Natalie McGarry has been jailed for embezzling £25,000 from two pro-independence groups.

The 40-year-old was sentenced to two years in prison.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-61994020
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,317

Pulpstar said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:

One other thing. If a Prime Minister with a majority of almost 80 bowled up to the palace only half-way through their term, with a parliamentary standards committee hot on their heels, and asked for an election I think the Queen might have something to say about it.

It's none of the old cow's business is it? She doesn't get to interfere in the political process of the country.
    Actually the Queen acts on the advice of her Privy Council. The question is what happens when the advice of the Privy Council is in conflict with that from the PM.
    How did that work with the proroguing Parliament business? I seem to remember that Rees-Mogg, acting as Boris's batman, just told HMQ that that was what the Privy Council recommended and that was the end of the matter.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

If you could get accounts with both Predictit and Betfair, there were a lot of arb opportunities in the past couple of US elections.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Isn't the bigger problem here that most people won't have a line on a test? Since the Government stupidly decided to end free tests, how many people are actually spending money to go out and buy the things?

For all that I agree with you that this is endemic and should be treated like Flu (and I would stay at home if I had flu), we have hobbled ourselves badly by removing the ability to identify when someone has Covid as a matter of course.
    I don't think that's a problem at all, I think that's a very good thing. Hopefully people tire of buying the stupid things soon.

What purpose does it serve to identify if people have Covid or not? Why does that purpose justify taking billions of pounds of taxes a month to identify those people?

As you said, stay at home if you're genuinely sick with flu, stay at home if you're genuinely sick with Covid, but being genuinely sick doesn't require any test to identify - do it based upon your symptoms.
  • Options
    SLab: this indy ref II nonsense is a distraction from getting rid of BJ and the Tories.

Also SLab: refuse to support our deal with the Tories? You’re suspended.

• Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

If you could get accounts with both Predictit and Betfair, there were a lot of arb opportunities in the past couple of US elections.
    I've always assumed that with a VPN, you could do it, but, er, you can go first and report back... just in case...
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Insist on all meetings being outdoors with no sitting. That would eliminate many and shorten the rest considerably. Win-win: most meetings are a complete waste of time, a practical alternative to work.
    Not to mention that UK weather would render meetings impossible for a good half of the year.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,019

Sticking elements of your blue water navy up a restrictive dead end is an interesting new move in global strategy.

Hilarious use of the plural carrier groups by Baldy Ben.

They aren't putting a carrier into the Baltic or moving any more troops to the EFP in Lithuania they are staying in the UK but will be 'dedicated' to the defensive effort there. Dedicated right up until the point they are needed elsewhere. The Lithuania EFP is actually getting less troops than planned as 3 PARA had their deployment cancelled after they gang banged a chavette and videoed it.

Lusty went to the Baltic with great results for the prostitutes and allied trades of Tallinn so if they want to put a carrier on Russia's doorstep the RN will do it with no fucks given.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    Sandpit said:

The Russians have been forced to withdraw from Snake Island.

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1542434087406895104

That hands control of the Black Sea around Odessa, clearly back to the Ukranians.
    Their vessels can now hug the Ukaine coast up to Romania then Bulgaria then Turkey and then exit the Black Sea without entering international waters. Or is it mined?

• Options
    Alistair said:

Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

Missouri! I was looking for a practical example of what some hospitals had decided but was searching for Mississippi!

I see a pregnant Ohio cancer patient is having to travel to Indiana to get an abortion before they can start chemotherapy back in Ohio.
    Some states are seeking to restrict medical treatments for women of childbearing age, whether or not they are pregnant.

https://twitter.com/VioletWyle/status/1542280295096786944
    ...Texas SB4 seeks to ban methotrexate for females of childbearing age (let’s call them broodmares for simplicity). It treats lupus and rheumatoid arthritis. Men will still have access of course - to deny men access would be cruel.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

I've always assumed that with a VPN, you could do it, but, er, you can go first and report back... just in case...
    Not as simple as a VPN You’ll need an address in both the US and UK, and a credit card in each country that matches the address.

That’s why the prices can differ so much, as there’s very few people on both.

(I got kicked off Betfair a year or so back, for living abroad).
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

BA5 seems to be a bit nastier than earlier omicron variants. I hope they both get through soon.

As ever on covid we have extreme views on either side. It is clearly more dangerous than 'just a cold'. However it is also less dangerous than flu (certainly among our vaccinated public). The difference is the sheer number of people who are infected at the moment. We would not expect to see on in 40 people in the country with flu at any one time.

There is balance to be struck. I think healthcare going back to masks for all for the next period of time is sensible, and not really a hardship for the public (more so for the medics). I think serious thought needs to be had about boosters. I know there is an autumn campaign coming for those who normally get the flu shot, but I wonder that it ought to be widened? I'm not sure either way. Most in the country will have had a bought of omicron (various flavours) so that in itself will provide some assistance, even if its not the greatest at provoking antibodies to fight future infection.

I have a suspicion that those who oppose the return of masks in clinical settings and complain about testing are secretly worried about new lockdown style restrictions. I simply don't think that is on the cards. Can't afford it as a country for one reason.
    We couldn't afford the first three either.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

i. You can't
    ii. Predictit has astonishing fees. Makes Betfair's Premium charge look cheap. The upside for US bettors is it's even muggier than Betfair.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Not as simple as a VPN You’ll need an address in both the US and UK, and a credit card in each country that matches the address.

Did BF void your bets? Just out of interet.

I was concerned that if you were arbing, it would be a problem if one side was voided and not the other.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,009

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

The problem there is that both you and me are in positions where we can just work from home if not feeling 100% fit.

Many people can't and it's those people who end up spreading things round...
  • Options

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

That's probably correct.

However I can at least conceive of a path where Pence gets the nom (even though definitely not @13 !) - Trump charged, enough dirt comes out on Trump aligned politicians like Cotton, DeSantis loses governor election etc.

While when Jeb was @10 he was unbackable at 1000 in my view (this was after Iowa). But the very fact people were putting money on him scared me off the market totally as I felt I just didn't understand. That's a bit where I am with DeSantis - there is no way he should be favourite/joint-favourite at the moment.

However fuck it, just laid DeSantis. I left all the Jeb Bush money out there 6 years ago and won't do it again.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Possibly some truth in that. Having had covid and endured lockdowns, I vastly prefer covid to lockdowns. The latter being a one-way ticket to prolonged depression. It's almost a rational fear of lockdowns given how easily we folded back into often stupid restrictions over the last few years.

However, on balance, I agree. I don't think there will be a return to lockdowns or indeed general masking (which should be a simple matter of personal choice, as it is now).
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

i. You can't
    ii. Predictit has astonishing fees. Makes Betfair's Premium charge look cheap. The upside for US bettors is it's even muggier than Betfair.
    Do you still prefer Betdaq? I have all three, but use BF most, then Smarkets, then Betdaq.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,095
    BREXIT IS DONE

UK trade performance falls to worst level on record in first quarter https://on.ft.com/3ywa8rV
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,310
    Leon said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

I’m now sure I have covid. Suddenly got a headache and feeling tired. Thanks everyone

That's just the side effects of reading some HYUFD posts on Scottish Independence.
    The weird thing is, in his relentless mule-headed way, @HYUFD is largely right about Sindyref. No UK Tory government will allow it, they will use the generation argument until it is exhausted (after a generation)

I doubt even a Labour govt would do it, tho they might be willing to compromise more

However @HYUFD’s talents for persuasion somewhat let him down when he expresses this
    Unfortunately the vision comes over as a Tory government shaped boot stamping on your face ... forever.

1984 was a warning not an instruction manual.
  • Options
    Former Glasgow East MP Natalie McGarry will be jailed for 2 years after being found guilty of embezzling tens of thousands of pounds from pro-independence groups.

More follows… https://twitter.com/RadioClydeNews/status/1542440507040845828/photo/1
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

The Russians have been forced to withdraw from Snake Island.

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1542434087406895104

That hands control of the Black Sea around Odessa, clearly back to the Ukranians.
    I'm surprised it took Russia quite so long to work out that longer range MLRS, and Harpoons would render the island indefensible for them.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

i. You can't
    Do you still prefer Betdaq? I have all three, but use BF most, then Smarkets, then Betdaq.
    I'm using Smarkets the most but Betfair on this market as it has liquidity on rank no hoper outsiders (The Rock :D )
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176

Not so new. It was also done during the Crimean war. Where, btw, the first Victoria Cross was awarded to a seaman who picked up an unexploded shell and threw it into the sea where it exploded.

• Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Nobody is here to persaude anybody about anything. Or if they are, they are wasting their fucking time. Come for the pedantry, stay for the piss taking. That's about it.
    What about the betting? Do you bet?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:

That sounds like a constitutional fiction. What would be the practicalities? The PM rocks up and asks HMQ for a dissolution with an election date of the 4th August (say). Then what? The Queen makes up an excuse to nip outside and arrange a lightning Privy Council meeting in the next room?
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    A reminder

R Rate of Flu during the 1918 global pandemic: About 1.8 at most
    R Rate of Omicron: Greater than 10.

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,283

Pulpstar said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:

How did that work with the proroguing Parliament business? I seem to remember that Rees-Mogg, acting as Boris's batman, just told HMQ that that was what the Privy Council recommended and that was the end of the matter.
    The Queen has the right to refuse a dissolution request. Note, it is a 'request'. The PM seeks permission. It is in her gift.

As a constitutional monarch she will at all times attempt to avoid a decision that could be seen as political or partisan.

Johnson is such a fecking scoundrel that he would put her in a terrible position over this just for his own scheming ends.

It would be nice to think the Cabinet would put an end to such embarrassment but I doubt it with this lot.

• Options
    Mike Pence and Dwayne Johnson are now my worst results for POTUS.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:

Obviously if Johnson has the Privy Council onside then he can recommend what he likes to the Queen. The question is whether or not the Privy Council (Or effectively the Cabinet) will back him.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

I was concerned that if you were arbing, it would be a problem if one side was voided and not the other.
    I only had a handful of future-dated bets open, and when I got the first KYC email literally the day after my card expired, and knowing the card wasn’t going to be renewed, I figured that it was time to close everything out on my own terms before the ban hammer came down on me.

Yes, if you’re arbing with a lot of money acrosss two exchanges, an issue with one of them could leave you in a massive hole. There’s also a currency risk, the US$ is very strong against everything else at the moment.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,388
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

That's probably correct.

However I can at least conceive of a path where Pence gets the nom (even though definitely not @13 !) - Trump charged, enough dirt comes out on Trump aligned politicians like Cotton, DeSantis loses governor election etc.

While when Jeb was @10 he was unbackable at 1000 in my view (this was after Iowa). But the very fact people were putting money on him scared me off the market totally as I felt I just didn't understand. That's a bit where I am with DeSantis - there is no way he should be favourite/joint-favourite at the moment.

However fuck it, just laid DeSantis. I left all the Jeb Bush money out there 6 years ago and won't do it again.
    Someone has to win the nomination. I tend to think it will be Trump, but if it isn't who else is there?
  • Options
    The Queen will not refuse Boris an election. She didn't even refuse him the prorogation which was on far shakier ground.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,554
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

You should have followed my betting strategy in 2016. I made a profit.

God knows how.

Hurrah for Marco Rubio.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Scott_xP said:

Former Glasgow East MP Natalie McGarry will be jailed for 2 years after being found guilty of embezzling tens of thousands of pounds from pro-independence groups.

More follows… https://twitter.com/RadioClydeNews/status/1542440507040845828/photo/1

Sleazy, broken Scot Nats on the slide take.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,310
    Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Well there is another benefit. You get so mad reading bullshit opinions that it fires you up behind your own better ones.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

A reminder

So what?

All you ever seem to want to talk about is infections, as if infections matter in isolation. People get infections, its part of natural life and the natural order of the world. There are ten nonillion viruses on the planet, that's 100 million for every star in the entire universe.

If you stop worrying about infections, you might end up happier. Infections happen, get over it.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

BREXIT IS DONE

UK trade performance falls to worst level on record in first quarter https://on.ft.com/3ywa8rV

Yeah but there's a shortage of new electric cars in Montenegro so it can't be down to Brexit.
  • Options
    eek said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

The problem there is that both you and me are in positions where we can just work from home if not feeling 100% fit.

Many people can't and it's those people who end up spreading things round...
    My father (in his early 80s) caught covid last week, his bowls club stopped all matches due to the numbers with covid. Similarly with his bridge club.

He was lucky, only tired for 1 day with a slight cough. He mentioned that it was his younger colleagues (less than 75) who had it worse. This would suggest that the double booster (he had his at the start of May) was effective in reducing symptons, but those with only a single booster are likely to have it worse.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Pulpstar said:

The Queen will not refuse Boris an election. She didn't even refuse him the prorogation which was on far shakier ground.

I think you are correct, but she could refuse is what i am saying.

The Lascelles letter is now doing the rounds on political twitter as people look for reasons she might say 'no', but it seems unlikely to me unless the Cabinet made it clear they did not agree with calling a GE and there was a viable alternative PM ready.

And that 'aint gonna happen with this shower.
  • Options
    Feel free to indulge your fantasies, you silly, old twat.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Mike Pence and Dwayne Johnson are now my worst results for POTUS.

As a layer or an American citizen?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:

Obviously if Johnson has the Privy Council onside then he can recommend what he likes to the Queen. The question is whether or not the Privy Council (Or effectively the Cabinet) will back him.
    I think Cabinet is far more important here than Privy Council.

And she can take advice from anyone she likes. So maybe William Hague, as an elder statesman, would convince her to refuse a dissolution perhaps?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

A reminder

No idea if that is true or not, but assuming it is... so what? What do you propose we 'do' about it?

In the real world, people are getting on with their lives. Waves of covid and flu come and go. They will presumably do so forever.

What exactly can or indeed should be 'done' about any of this, beyond annual boosters?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

I don't think that's a problem at all, I think that's a very good thing. Hopefully people tire of buying the stupid things soon.

What purpose does it serve to identify if people have Covid or not? Why does that purpose justify taking billions of pounds of taxes a month to identify those people?...
    Bit of a straw man, that, given they are winding down the expensive PCR testing, other than for population survey, and LFTs cost a couple of quid at most.

As for purpose, were you (for example) to be visiting @Cyclefree , then it would be more than polite. It might save her from serious illness or worse.

Most of us don't bother with masks anymore, or bother about tests 95% of the time, but there are occasions when it's neither particularly burdensome, nor hard to justify.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

Lovely bloke is old Bernie.....

Kate Garraway: 'Do you still regard him [Putin] as a friend?

Ecclestone: 'I would still take a bullet for him... I mean I'd rather it didn't hurt but if it did I'd still take a bullet.'
  • Options
    “If he tries to call an election, we’re going to have to blow his brains out - politically speaking, of course.”

I spoke to some Tory MPs about the prospect of a snap election. They were ... less than keen.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/are-we-heading-for-an-early-election_uk_62bd3ecbe4b065b10ad04e53
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,057

Can we put Bernie on Snake Island?
    https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1542426545490460672
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:

That sounds like a constitutional fiction. What would be the practicalities? The PM rocks up and asks HMQ for a dissolution with an election date of the 4th August (say). Then what? The Queen makes up an excuse to nip outside and arrange a lightning Privy Council meeting in the next room?
    Well, if Lascelles is to be believed then she would ask some seriously searching questions as to why a perfectly stable government was calling an election several years early when there is no serious political issue that urgently needs clarifying.

But I doubt in the end she would refuse.

The one thing we do know imho, is the Palace will move heaven and earth not to be put into this position.

• Options
    algarkirk said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Indeed most meetings are a complete waste of time, but only from the point of view of the Cyclefrees of this world (of which I am another).

From the other points of view meetings (even Zoom etc ones) exist for a number of reasons, all of them bad.

At the top is the awesome truth that there is a group of people who actually like pointless meetings, always turn up and find ways of making them longer.

Decades ago I was taken to one such while training by someone who wanted me to learn this existed. Every person present, and the entire existence of the meetings, had no genuine purpose whatever. This did not worry them at all. They preferred it that way. I have never forgotten the horrific vista this opened up.

I shall be missing one such meeting this very evening.
    Don't you miss the overtime? I knew someone who enthusiastically signed up for US-timed meetings so he could claim double bubble for wearing Airpods in the pub.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

I only had a handful of future-dated bets open, and when I got the first KYC email literally the day after my card expired, and knowing the card wasn’t going to be renewed, I figured that it was time to close everything out on my own terms before the ban hammer came down on me.

Yes, if you’re arbing with a lot of money acrosss two exchanges, an issue with one of them could leave you in a massive hole. There’s also a currency risk, the US$ is very strong against everything else at the moment.
    Interesting.

I note that there is £965 looking to back him. It's not just the odds, it's the money. Was the same with Jeb and Rubio (long after he ceased to be competitive). Also fellow American Brian Rose...

• Options

For a moment I thought that was John Hurt.
  • Options
    I can't see much ado about lascelles on twitter. Is it some claptrap Dan Hodges has come out with ? We're mutually blocked.
  • Options
    Pretty big drop for Rayner.

https://twitter.com/JMagosh/status/1542181909618479107
    New from @YouGov
    - Johnson's favourability falls below -50:

Lab Party: -15 (+1)
    Cons Party: -39 (-1)

Rayner: -18 (-11)
    Starmer: -23 (-1)

Javid: -29 (+2)
    Sunak: -33 (-1)
    Truss: -35 (-3)
    Raab: -40 (-6)
    Gove: -51 (-)
    Johnson: -51 (-5)

24-26 June, changes with 9-10 June
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

I don't think mass infection will reduce virulence because of its evolution, I think mass infection will reduce virulence because our immune systems will be well-primed rather than naive to the virus when its encountered.

Its endemic, we need to live with it. Its not going to stop being endemic.
    Rabies.
    HIV.
    Smallpox.
    Polio.
    Hepatitis.

All viruses that became endemic. Virulence not reduced to that of the common cold.

• Options

Alistair said:

A reminder

No idea if that is true or not, but assuming it is... so what? What do you propose we 'do' about it?

In the real world, people are getting on with their lives. Waves of covid and flu come and go. They will presumably do so forever.

What exactly can or indeed should be 'done' about any of this, beyond annual boosters?
    If you are person who couldn't have the covid vaccine then the comparison is:
    If you come in contact with someone with flu you probably won't get flu
    If you come in contact with someone with covid you will probably get covid.

This is all predicated on "Should people who knowingly have covid and are infectious just head on out into the world and spread it about like a selfish fuckwit"

And the answer from some is "flu/colds exists so people should spread covid about like a selfish fuckwit"

My point is that Covid is vastly more infectious that other diseases so the blithe assumption that you can treat it like the spread of flu/cold is wrong.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

“If he tries to call an election, we’re going to have to blow his brains out - politically speaking, of course.”

I spoke to some Tory MPs about the prospect of a snap election. They were ... less than keen.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/are-we-heading-for-an-early-election_uk_62bd3ecbe4b065b10ad04e53

Johnson and his very poor advisors need to be bloody careful they don't end up in a Gordon Brown scenario where they are seen as frit for pulling away from an election they briefed they were about to call.

• Options

algarkirk said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Indeed most meetings are a complete waste of time, but only from the point of view of the Cyclefrees of this world (of which I am another).

From the other points of view meetings (even Zoom etc ones) exist for a number of reasons, all of them bad.

At the top is the awesome truth that there is a group of people who actually like pointless meetings, always turn up and find ways of making them longer.

Decades ago I was taken to one such while training by someone who wanted me to learn this existed. Every person present, and the entire existence of the meetings, had no genuine purpose whatever. This did not worry them at all. They preferred it that way. I have never forgotten the horrific vista this opened up.

Don't you miss the overtime? I knew someone who enthusiastically signed up for US-timed meetings so he could claim double bubble for wearing Airpods in the pub.
    Those that willingly listen to pointless meetings in the pub – the pub! – just to earn some extra cash must know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

The layers of middle management, that seemingly exist purely to justify their own existence.

That a lot of senior management realised during the pandemic, are not a productive part of the company.
This discussion has been closed.