Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Nine months of Johnson exit betting turbulence – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,019
edited July 2022 in General
imageNine months of Johnson exit betting turbulence – politicalbetting.com

One of the liveliest political betting markets over the last few months has been on which year Johnson will finally cease to be Prime Minister. As can be seen things have moved sharply and there is is at the moment no real consensus about went when he is going to go go.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Raab looking very dangerous at PMQ but I think loses his seat next GE?
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,431
    Betting against a Johnson 2022 departure has proved profitable so far (on trades, with more to come if he does make it to next year).

I see this as simply compensation for his continued presence - I'd be happy to lose my 'Johnson makes it to next year' bonus :smile:
  • Options
    All the possible years are coming together

Has quantum mechanics now taken over the thread header too?
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    IshmaelZ said:

Raab is introducing the Bill of Rights which will give him some big momentum. I think its a bill ordinary tories will like.

Problem? E&W has become a marginal on his watch.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,401
    IshmaelZ said:

He’s in stepmom territory.

He’s also a Brexiteer which is why he loses and Hunt holds on easily.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    IshmaelZ said:

Hes ruled himself out of running (for what that is worth)
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,893
    A classic lay-the-favourite market.

(For a while, I’ve thought Conference 2023 as to when he’d be replaced, maybe that’s now a little late)
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347
    IshmaelZ said:

Normally Raab is ridiculed on here for being thick and useless
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989

IshmaelZ said:

Both would lose their seats to the LDs on current polls
  • Options
    Johnson would just appoint new Cabinet ministers if some walked out
  • Options
    PBers may find this chart showing frequency of compound pejoratives useful for describing the PM.

I'm warming to cock-goblin and twat-waffle as new insults.

• Options
    MISTY said:

IshmaelZ said:

Raab is introducing the Bill of Rights which will give him some big momentum. I think its a bill ordinary tories will like.

I know a few Tory/Brexit inclined lawyers who have been through the bill of rights.

It’s terrible, it’s got so much ambiguity in it, and seems desperate to not acknowledge the ECHR may have some excellent rulings in the past.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

He’s up against Angela Rayner, we’re in tallest dwarf territory.
  • Options

PBers may find this chart showing frequency of compound pejoratives useful for describing the PM.

I seldom swear but when I do it usually is off the charts, something like

‘You cock juggling thunder twat’
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Hunt would not lose his seat on any current polling.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,386
    I notice Steve Brey has had his equipment in Parliament Square stolen by the police and received a court summons for protesting. What a country we live in now.
  • Options

I notice Steve Brey has had his equipment in Parliament Square stolen by the police and received a court summons for protesting. What a country we live in now.

He says he's going to get an amp on a rickshaw and make even more noise.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,626
    edited June 2022

IshmaelZ said:

Politically correct as normal @TheScreamingEagles
  • Options

I’m so torn by this.

I’m in favour of the right to protest yet his protests go too far on occasions.

I’ve seen him harass MPs having drinks/food with their families.
  • Options
    kjh said:

IshmaelZ said:

I’m just a plain speaking Northerner.

No sugar coating it, you can’t change us.

• Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

He says he's going to get an amp on a rickshaw and make even more noise.
    Rather proving the police's point.
  • Options

kjh said:

IshmaelZ said:

I approve. Made me laugh.
  • Options

MISTY said:

IshmaelZ said:

I know a few Tory/Brexit inclined lawyers who have been through the bill of rights.

It’s terrible, it’s got so much ambiguity in it, and seems desperate to not acknowledge the ECHR may have some excellent rulings in the past.

Maybe but that does not mean ordinary tories will not like it...
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,225

surprised ass-ass is so high
  • Options
    MISTY said:

MISTY said:

IshmaelZ said:

Given the way the Blue Wall is crumbling I wouldn’t be so sure.

• Options

I’m so torn by this.

if you mean the clip of him harassing the MP. They are fair game. What the clip doesn't show is that he stopped as soon as the family arrived. Typical tory truth editing.
  • Options
    Tres said:

Maybe picking up assassin?
  • Options
    Tres said:

False detection with "assassin"?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    Selebian said:

Betting against a Johnson 2022 departure has proved profitable so far (on trades, with more to come if he does make it to next year).

I see this as simply compensation for his continued presence - I'd be happy to lose my 'Johnson makes it to next year' bonus :smile:

Yes, I have an all-green on this market via that approach. The fact that he'll say and do anything, anything at all, to stay in place, and won't resign under any circumstances, is enormously salient.
  • Options

I’m so torn by this.

if you mean the clip of him harassing the MP. They are fair game. What the clip doesn't show is that he stopped as soon as the family arrived. Typical tory truth editing.
    It's fair game to abuse people for years because he's a sad bitter twunt who can't accept that he lost?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Course he would. These old rules - eg "the men in grey suits" - forget about them.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,605
    MISTY said:

MISTY said:

IshmaelZ said:

Shouldn’t we expect better of ordinary Tories?

• Options
    Applicant said:

I’m so torn by this.

It's fair game to abuse people for years because he's a sad bitter twunt who can't accept that he lost?
    No, he's calling out the duplicity and corruption of certain members of the parliament perfectly legally. I suppose you're pleased for the UK to be a member of the same club as Nazi Germany? North Korea? Russia?
  • Options

MISTY said:

MISTY said:

IshmaelZ said:

The blue wall is crumbling because many tories are sitting on their hands.

They are sitting on their hands because the current government favour high taxes, big government, over regulation and green dogma.
  • Options

Disappointingly American list though, where's cockwomble?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Course he would. These old rules - eg "the men in grey suits" - forget about them.
    @HYUFD is right though. That is exactly what he will do. It will be another chink in his armour, but he has had so many already and is still there. Nobody else would have survived like Boris has.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    From the tweet desk of Streeting

https://twitter.com/wesstreeting/status/1542104988121501697?t=8JNnW7ieMuPBDaZgwg6CVQ&s=19

Wes fangirling for Super Ange

Respondents not convinced.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,105

I have a particular fondness for ass-clown, which I think was coined in the excellent Mike Judge movie Office Space.
    The grid points to some potentially underused options, too, like wank-lord.
    What a fantastic resource, thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758

I’m so torn by this.

Would you support some other protestors moving in alongside him using the same tactics for different causes, some of which you oppose? Has he a personal monopoly on the prime protesting position?
  • Options

Applicant said:

I’m so torn by this.

No, he's calling out the duplicity and corruption of certain members of the parliament perfectly legally. I suppose you're pleased for the UK to be a member of the same club as Nazi Germany? North Korea? Russia?
    Do you think that the Gendarmes would have let him do the same outside the Palais Bourbon?
  • Options

I’m so torn by this.

MPs are fair game to shout at in the street outside Parliament, in a democratic society.

Harassing their families, or protestesting their house is past the line though.

Those working or going about their lawful business in the vicinity of Parliament, on the other hand, have a right to work free of harrasment or intimidation.

As usual, it comes down to “don’t be a dick”.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,114

I have a particular fondness for ass-clown, which I think was coined in the excellent Mike Judge movie Office Space.
    The grid points to some potentially underused options, too, like wank-lord.
    What a fantastic resource, thanks for sharing.
    I'm liking douche nozzle.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

I’m so torn by this.

MPs are fair game to shout at in the street outside Parliament, in a democratic society.

Those working or going about their lawful business in the vicinity of Parliament, on the other hand, have a right to work free of harrasment or intimidation.

He crossed the dick line some time ago.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,114
    MISTY said:

MISTY said:

MISTY said:

IshmaelZ said:

They are sitting on their hands because the current government favour high taxes, big government, over regulation and green dogma.
    And have a liar for a PM.

• Options
    Applicant said:

Sandpit said:

I’m so torn by this.

Even dicks should have liberties though.

Having said that, noise pollution rules do exist, a business can require a licence or even consent from the Council to play music outside, so if he's using electronic equipment to magnify his voice I can see that possibly being an issue.

If he simply uses his own voice then there shouldn't be any restrictions. Even if that means Brian Blessed would be the best protestor ever.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Sandpit said:

I’m so torn by this.

I know he did, but it’s still uncomfortable to see protestors treated in a heavy-handed way by the police outside Parliament.

Confiscating audio amplifiers sounds like a reasonable compromise in this case, he can still protest with his voice.

I would absolutely throw the book at the activists running onto motorways or airport runways though. That’s how innocent people end up killed or injured, and they could be charged with endangering life.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,295
    Just landed at CDG. Customs queue for non-EU literally hundreds of yards (!) long. EU one had six people. Settling down for at least an hour's wait when they opened all the booths to everyone. Took 30 mins in the end. Just less than the time it took to get through security at LHR. Who'd fly.

Then again walked out the front at CDG, past the huge taxi queue and straight into an Uber. Arrived in zero minutes.

Holiday in August? Paris if you must but the Ile de Re is where the Parisians go.
  • Options
    kjh said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

@HYUFD is right though. That is exactly what he will do. It will be another chink in his armour, but he has had so many already and is still there. Nobody else would have survived like Boris has.
    Yep, I'm agreeing with H (and you). It's a new politics with Boris Johnson. He's utterly unencumbered by ethics. Maybe if the whole cabinet walked out en masse from a meeting and did a live prime time joint press conference outside number 10, each of them in turn saying, "I can no longer serve under this dreadful dreadful PM", that might just possibly cause him to think about resigning, think about it just for an hour or so, before deciding instead to carry on for the sake of the British people and of course for Ukraine.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kjh said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Yep, I'm agreeing with H (and you). It's a new politics with Boris Johnson. He's utterly unencumbered by ethics. Maybe if the whole cabinet walked out en masse from a meeting and did a live prime time joint press conference outside number 10, each of them in turn saying, "I can no longer serve under this dreadful dreadful PM", that might just possibly cause him to think about resigning, think about it just for an hour or so, before deciding instead to carry on for the sake of the British people and of course for Ukraine.
    Although almost every PM ever has had disgruntled ex Cabinet Ministers, or seen Cabinet Ministers walk out.

May would have gone much, much sooner if "the men in grey suits" actually existed, or Cabinet resignations led to PM resignations.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,662
    kinabalu said:

kjh said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

What if no MP at all was prepared to serve in his cabinet? Inconceivable, of course, but it would be funny :)
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,808
    kjh said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

If it ever got that far, I could easily see Boris emulating Corbyn's 4 day reshuffle.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,526

Dirthat and trumpgoblin deserve wider recognition.

BTW is this just a record of PB Scots Nats supporting insults or are others included?

• Options
    edited June 2022

MISTY said:

MISTY said:

MISTY said:

IshmaelZ said:

And have a liar for a PM.

Indeed.

Laughable that @MISTY focuses on the lack of true neoliberal policies as the reason why nice, comfortable, affluent, socially-liberal, erstwhile Tory voters in the leafy home counties are sitting on their hands rather than voting for this omnishambles of a government led by a lazy lying shit.

Lurch to the right @MISTY - that'll fix it!
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004

Some good opportunities there to popularise little-known combinations. I like "Trumpnozzle" and "Wankclown".
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

So, suppose the SNP do plan on using the 2024 GE as a plebiscite for indy, if Boris and the Supreme Court say no...
    We get the following result:
    Labour - 283
    Con - 275
    SNP - 48
    Lib Dems - 20
    What does Starmer do? What does Sturgeon do?

Starmer forms a minority government with the LDs on those numbers and also ignores the SNP beyond a Brown commission on devomax
    Report tonight Boris may allow indyref2 and to be honest it would be the right thing to do
    No there isn't, anywhere. If he did then he would lose a VONC and be removed straight away
    All the government said was "Our position remains unchanged that both ours and the Scottish Government's priority should be working together with a relentless focus on the issues that we know matter to people up and down the country.

"That remains our priority, but a decision has been taken by the First Minister, so we will carefully study the details of the proposal, and the Supreme Court will now consider whether to accept the Scottish Government's Lord Advocate referral".
    I have just published that and you repeat it for some strange reason

Why are you so scared of a vote that is winnable
    It is 50/50 at the moment and even if it was won the SNP would demand another referendum the UK government having been so weak as to allow an indyref2 before a generation had elapsed.

No, this Tory government must go full hardcore Madrid Catalonia 2017 if needed, no official indyref2 allowed under any circumstance whatsoever and Unionists to boycott any wildcat referendum
    I am not convinced at your second paragraph. Telling the Scottish people (well any people for that matter) that they can't have something is most likely to make them want to double down against the denyers. People who don't want to vote indy could well end up doing so out of sheer bloody-mindedness.

On the other hand Johnson needs to be careful as the vote, whilst he remains PM, will be on a knife- edge. He could become the PM who both did Brexit, and did for the Union.

They can't if they have no vote. Madrid has successfully refused an official independence referendum for 5 years in Catalonia, indeed in 2017 it not only refused to recognise the Catalan independence referendum, it imposed temporary direct rule and the arrest was ordered of nationalist leaders for sedition, forcing many into exile.

Nothing must be off the table in order to take on the SNP
    But it doesn't really work like that.

P*ss people off, particularly Scottish people, and they will punish you. Scottish Labour is your salutory lesson here.

As for your tanks on the Royal Mile, forget it, that will never happen.
    No they won't. 71% of Scots don't want an indyref2 in 2023.

https://www.scotlandinunion.co.uk/post/new-poll-only-29-support-indyref2-in-2023

The UK government can and must stand up to Sturgeon, Westminster and Westminster alone has the final say on the Union and that is from the very legislation that set up Holyrood.

Scottish Labour was weak, the SNP must be dealt with with a rod of iron
    Definition of rule with a rod of iron
    : to rule a country, area, group, etc., in a very strict and often cruel way The dictator ruled (the country) with a rod of iron.

(Miriam Webster)

You FUDHY are a very odd little man. Do you have a neat little moustache, intimacy issues and a desire for Lebensraum?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,924
    algarkirk said:

BTW is this just a record of PB Scots Nats supporting insults or are others included?

@Malcolmg HOUSE
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Applicant said:

Sandpit said:

I’m so torn by this.

I know he did, but it’s still uncomfortable to see protestors treated in a heavy-handed way by the police outside Parliament.

Confiscating audio amplifiers sounds like a reasonable compromise in this case, he can still protest with his voice.

I would absolutely throw the book at the activists running onto motorways or airport runways though. That’s how innocent people end up killed or injured, and they could be charged with endangering life.
    I am old enough to remember the area of Parliament as something other than a fortress and when Downing Street was a short cut everyone could use from Whitehall to St James Park. We have paid a heavy price for public protest.

The best protest is argument, organisation and votes.

• Options
    algarkirk said:

It's obviously very American, hence 'ass', 'lib'(!), 'hard', and 'butt'
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,693

algarkirk said:

Indeed. Innumerable Scots insults that are missing, much decreasing the board's power.
  • Options

Applicant said:

I’m so torn by this.

Do you think that the Gendarmes would have let him do the same outside the Palais Bourbon?
    So what?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

So, suppose the SNP do plan on using the 2024 GE as a plebiscite for indy, if Boris and the Supreme Court say no...
    Labour - 283
    Con - 275
    SNP - 48
    Lib Dems - 20

Starmer forms a minority government with the LDs on those numbers and also ignores the SNP beyond a Brown commission on devomax
    Report tonight Boris may allow indyref2 and to be honest it would be the right thing to do
    No there isn't, anywhere. If he did then he would lose a VONC and be removed straight away
    All the government said was "Our position remains unchanged that both ours and the Scottish Government's priority should be working together with a relentless focus on the issues that we know matter to people up and down the country.

"That remains our priority, but a decision has been taken by the First Minister, so we will carefully study the details of the proposal, and the Supreme Court will now consider whether to accept the Scottish Government's Lord Advocate referral".

It is 50/50 at the moment and even if it was won the SNP would demand another referendum the UK government having been so weak as to allow an indyref2 before a generation had elapsed.

No, this Tory government must go full hardcore Madrid Catalonia 2017 if needed, no official indyref2 allowed under any circumstance whatsoever and Unionists to boycott any wildcat referendum
    I am not convinced at your second paragraph. Telling the Scottish people (well any people for that matter) that they can't have something is most likely to make them want to double down against the denyers. People who don't want to vote indy could well end up doing so out of sheer bloody-mindedness.

On the other hand Johnson needs to be careful as the vote, whilst he remains PM, will be on a knife- edge. He could become the PM who both did Brexit, and did for the Union.

They can't if they have no vote. Madrid has successfully refused an official independence referendum for 5 years in Catalonia, indeed in 2017 it not only refused to recognise the Catalan independence referendum, it imposed temporary direct rule and the arrest was ordered of nationalist leaders for sedition, forcing many into exile.

P*ss people off, particularly Scottish people, and they will punish you. Scottish Labour is your salutory lesson here.

https://www.scotlandinunion.co.uk/post/new-poll-only-29-support-indyref2-in-2023

The UK government can and must stand up to Sturgeon, Westminster and Westminster alone has the final say on the Union and that is from the very legislation that set up Holyrood.

: to rule a country, area, group, etc., in a very strict and often cruel way The dictator ruled (the country) with a rod of iron.

(Miriam Webster)

You FUDHY are a very odd little man. Do you have a neat little moustache, intimacy issues and a desire for Lebensraum?
    No, if we really wanted to do that we would scrap Holyrood and impose direct rule from Westminster having evicted Scottish MPs.

Ruling out indyref2 is a mild response
  • Options

algarkirk said:

And "trumptard", which betrays a major lack of imagination.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

Indeed. Innumerable Scots insults that are missing, much decreasing the board's power.
    Gonna need a bigger grid.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    What kind of perverted weirdo have you got to be to oppose feeding babies?

How is it possible to be so distanced from the better angels of our nature?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-61977754
  • Options

Applicant said:

I’m so torn by this.

So what?
    +1
  • Options
    edited June 2022

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Surrey SW needs a 7% swing from 2019 to go LD, the Tory voteshare is down 10% in some polls.

The LDs already control the local council with Residents' groups
  • Options

Applicant said:

I’m so torn by this.

So what?
    We're allegedly in the same club as the Nazis now; whose club are the French in with their protestor thrashing Gendarmerie?
  • Options
    edited June 2022

Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

Gonna need a bigger grid.
    Especially with the Scots up-to-quintuple diminutive, that's another 25 there.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Sandpit said:

Applicant said:

Sandpit said:

I’m so torn by this.

I am old enough to remember the area of Parliament as something other than a fortress and when Downing Street was a short cut everyone could use from Whitehall to St James Park. We have paid a heavy price for public protest.

Public access to Downing Street was restricted largely due to the threat from the IRA (who nevertheless managed to launch a mortar attack in 1991).

It was not a result of the likes of Mr Bray.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Labour - 283
    Con - 275
    SNP - 48
    Lib Dems - 20

(Miriam Webster)

No, if we really wanted to do that we would scrap Holyrood and impose direct rule from Westminster having evicted Scottish MPs.

You mean, like you are doing with NI?
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Sandpit said:

Applicant said:

Sandpit said:

I’m so torn by this.

Absolute rubbish!

Enjoying being boiled like a frog?
  • Options

Applicant said:

I’m so torn by this.

So what?
    We're allegedly in the same club as the Nazis now; whose club are the French in with their protestor thrashing Gendarmerie?
    Clubs is where it's at. Vide Catalonia.
  • Options

kjh said:

IshmaelZ said:

You are about as much a plain speaking Northerner as the Duke of Northumberland!
  • Options

Applicant said:

I’m so torn by this.

So what?
    I remember when we used to look over at them and disapprove.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,913
    NEW: Whether it's London or Kigali, rowing with the royals or his party, Johnson appears unrepentant, unreflective.

After the Prince Charles debacle an aide to the PM said he had limited time to spend on “humouring men in tights.”

Johnson's grand tour: https://www.politico.eu/article/boris-johnson-nato-g7-love-world-stage/
  • Options

Applicant said:

I’m so torn by this.

So what?
    Why bother with the French as a comparison? I'll concede the suppression of protest in the UK is not as bad as it is in Russia or China. So that's all fine then.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Labour - 283
    Con - 275
    SNP - 48
    Lib Dems - 20

(Miriam Webster)

You accept that NI should have a border poll if a majority wants it. Why not Scotland?
  • Options

Applicant said:

I’m so torn by this.

So what?
    Why bother with the French as a comparison? I'll concede the suppression of protest in the UK is not as bad as it is in Russia or China. So that's all fine then.
    We're on a sliding scale it seems, and it's so easy to find oneself at the right hand end.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Labour - 283
    Con - 275
    SNP - 48
    Lib Dems - 20

(Miriam Webster)

You accept that NI should have a border poll if a majority wants it. Why not Scotland?
    As the GFA does not apply to Scotland, the Scotland Act 1998 reserves the future of the Union to Westminster
  • Options

Applicant said:

I’m so torn by this.

So what?
    I know Brexiteers have lowered expectations for the UK but we should all unite and aspire to being better than the French.

Being as bad/worse than the French is treasonous talk.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,574
    NEW on US policy on Turkish F16s: On the record from Assistant Secretary of Defense for International Security Affairs Celeste Wallander: "The US fully supports Turkey’s modernization plans for Turkey’s F-16 fleet...
    https://twitter.com/nickschifrin/status/1542093892346077184
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Surrey SW needs a 7% swing to go LD, the Tory voteshare is already down 10% in some polls.

The LDs already control the local council with Residents' groups
    So it needs a larger swing than current polling (it requires 7.8% swing actually)

You said 'both would lose their seats on current polling'

That is inaccurate. Hunt would not lose his seat based on current polling. Facts are facts.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

NEW: Whether it's London or Kigali, rowing with the royals or his party, Johnson appears unrepentant, unreflective.

After the Prince Charles debacle an aide to the PM said he had limited time to spend on “humouring men in tights.”

Johnson's grand tour: https://www.politico.eu/article/boris-johnson-nato-g7-love-world-stage/

Good.

Boris should go, but our unelected monarchs have no role to play in overriding policies that Parliament has approved. Charles should butt out of politics, if he doesn't then hopefully he'll be removed from office like the original Charles - although he should be retired rather than reaching the same grizzly fate.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,574
    Fair point.
    Angela Rayner says it's ironic that the Speaker has to intervene to stop the "mob" of Conservative MPs shouting her down in the House of Commons, while the government brings in a law to stop people noisily protesting against them outside.
    https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1542104355398193157
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Labour - 283
    Con - 275
    SNP - 48
    Lib Dems - 20

(Miriam Webster)

Oddly, direct rule was just what you were advocating on the previous thread. You weren’t kidding when you said Franco was your role model.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Labour - 283
    Con - 275
    SNP - 48
    Lib Dems - 20

(Miriam Webster)

As the GFA does not apply to Scotland, the Scotland Act 1998 reserves the future of the Union to Westminster
    Louisville is not a part of the United Kingdom.

So what.

If you accept that NI has the right under certain conditions to vote for "independence" then you must support Scotland's right also.
  • Options
    This is brilliant.

• Options

Applicant said:

I’m so torn by this.

So what?
    I remember when we used to look over at them and disapprove.
    If my post implied any approval of the French, it was entirely unintentional.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

Scott_xP said:

Good.

Boris should go, but our unelected monarchs have no role to play in overriding policies that Parliament has approved. Charles should butt out of politics, if he doesn't then hopefully he'll be removed from office like the original Charles - although he should be retired rather than reaching the same grizzly fate.
    Charles isn't in office yet as monarch and has overriden no policies, merely commented as Prince of Wales. He told Jonathan Dimbleby when interviewed as King he would act differently than as Prince and in the Queen’s Speech read out the Government's proposed legislation without comment
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

This is brilliant.

I trust the algorithm replied 'You're welcome, have a nice day'.
  • Options

This is brilliant.

My mum would always use please and thank you with Alexa
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,913

Come off it, no-one is stopping Steve Bray protesting as much as he likes. What they are stopping him from doing is making an infernal noise all the time. Given that he's been at it every day for years, a quite remarkable, one might say excessive, amount of patience has been shown him.

Protester @snb19692 reckons he’s found a loophole https://twitter.com/mikeysmith/status/1542097600186392577/video/1
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Labour - 283
    Con - 275
    SNP - 48
    Lib Dems - 20

(Miriam Webster)

Louisville is not a part of the United Kingdom.

So what.

If you accept that NI has the right under certain conditions to vote for "independence" then you must support Scotland's right also.
    No I don't as Scotland does not have the history of terrorism NI does plus it has already had one once a generation independence referendum
  • Options

This is brilliant.

I trust the algorithm replied 'You're welcome, have a nice day'.
    She must be careful though. It's like those cake decorations which literally reproduce the instructions.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,561
    algarkirk said:

What kind of perverted weirdo have you got to be to oppose feeding babies?

How is it possible to be so distanced from the better angels of our nature?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-61977754

What kind of a jackass would go out of their way to harass a nursing mother breastfeeding her baby INSIDE HER OWN CAR?

Talk about "inappropriate"! Sounds more like "actionable" to me - on the part of the mom.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,978

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Labour - 283
    Con - 275
    SNP - 48
    Lib Dems - 20

(Miriam Webster)

Using @HYUFD methods of calculation, only 12.7% of the Scottish population voted Conservative at the last GE, so the Tories have absolutely no mandate in Scotland.
    For avoidance of doubt, everyone who did not vote, or was ineligible to vote, are counted in the anti Conservative column. That’s how it works, isn’t it?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Labour - 283
    Con - 275
    SNP - 48
    Lib Dems - 20

(Miriam Webster)

Oddly, direct rule was just what you were advocating on the previous thread. You weren’t kidding when you said Franco was your role model.
    If Sturgeon tried UDI as she for now has ruled out then yes direct rule would be inevitable, at least temporarily
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Labour - 283
    Con - 275
    SNP - 48
    Lib Dems - 20

(Miriam Webster)

Because it had one recently and said No, and Scots voters in 2014 deserve some proper respect, like EU Ref voters in 2016.

The Scottish generation born in Ref year of 2014 is still in primary school. Give them a chance.

This discussion has been closed.